4.70/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At National General Homeowners Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 24, 2018

20 National General Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

I've had my car insurance with National General for over 15 years. I'm at a flat rate and I don’t pay as much as a lot of people do. I've had full coverage on my vehicle and their coverage is pretty good. Also, whenever I call them, they really answer my questions. On the other hand, I also obtained a house insurance, and I had somebody touring the house and they canceled my house insurance due to the electrical panel, of which I'm getting taken care of. So, I don’t have a house insurance right now due to that. Other than that, I have recommended National General to other people.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I tried getting an insurance for my home from National General Homeowners Insurance. However, I didn't qualify and I got a letter of cancellation. They said I needed to replace my roof and my chimney. Nonetheless, I understood where they were coming from and I would still recommend them. Also, their reps were very professional and very friendly.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I got a National General Homeowners Insurance for my home which I purchased over the phone. The amount of coverage was good and the rep has been very helpful. He answered my question and he went step by step with everything. National General Homeowners Insurance is great and I like it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I had inherited the car from my mother and I just went to her insurance agent, Southern Land insurance in Hendersonville, North Carolina, and told them I needed insurance. I had two kids who were new drivers and explained the situation to them. National General Insurance was the insurance they found for us. The customer service representative was very helpful because, at one point, we realized we got a North Carolina insurance because that's where the car was registered at the time of my mom's death.

And then, as our daughter started driving back to North Carolina to do the car registration, we realized that if she was gonna keep the car up in Virginia in college most of the time, then she won’t be covered on the North Carolina insurance. So, we switched it to Virginia. And when I had to call up National General Insurance and ask about it, it was an easy process of them transferring me to a Virginia rep, and that person walking me through it found it much cheaper up in Virginia as it was.

As we gave them the names of my husband and I and our driver's license and the two kids that were new drivers, everything went really well. They told us how, in Virginia, they take all drivers’ history into account and because my husband and I had such good driving records, it made it lower in Virginia. In 2015, our son was moving to North Carolina for his job and was taking the car, so we again called National General and said that we were moving the car back to North Carolina. And again, they were very good about getting it switched over in time for him re-registering the car. They were very good in helping walk our children through everything they had to do.

And then at the same time, my son bought his own car this year. Again, we had to have it changed and he decided to go with National General because he had good experience with them, although he has never had a claim. They registered his new car for him and have insured it. During the same telephone conversation, he handed the telephone to me and I re-registered the insurance part back to my husband and I's name. The guy walked us through it and he was very helpful. So, all in one phone conversation, they were able to get him insurance for his new car and us the insurance in our name for the car that has always been insured.

We have super-loyal premiums right now and come July when it's up for renewal again, we'll be switching it back to Virginia because we're leaving it with our two younger children while we go back to Germany. We'll have that whole process too. Our car is so old and the coverage is minimal. If we come back in retirement in about eight years, we would probably check in to National General as a coverage. We haven't had any claims to know what that's like, but as far as customer service and changing from one state to another and all that, it went very well.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I got a home and an auto insurance from National General. Prior to them I used Allstate, and National General is cheaper, so it is better. My few interactions with the customer service reps have been good. They were nice on the phone and easy to get along with. The amount of coverage provided in my plan is enough for me. I would recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: May 19, 2018

We used National General for our older house and when we built the house we have now, we used the same company. When we needed some paperwork, they definitely followed through. They sent us the information that we needed and we were able to get that part done. Also, the coverage they provide is just enough.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have a home and auto insurance through National General. They were GMEC when they started out and my husband had worked for GMEC for so many years. My previous provider was too high and they didn't meet the needs that I have like adding a car. I like the service of National General better and they have been very helpful along the way making my life easier. They make it easy to pay my bill as well as to get my papers back and show that I'm insured. Also, the representatives are very good.

Original review: May 17, 2018

National General had the best rate, so we had our RV and home insurance with them. We had our RV with Progressive previously. And when we changed the RV, we wanted to see if we could get a better rate keeping the same coverage. So when we looked across the board, National General came in exceedingly less. So, we chose them. They also gave us a decent discount for our homeowner's insurance. They also gave us an extra discount on the cars, not the RV. We were really pleased, even the realtors and lenders. They said the rates were amazing and that the average price for Homeowner's insurance in this area was $1,200 and National General quoted us less than half that.

Unfortunately, you weren't able to do the same thing for a Prius. So the Prius is still sitting with Progressive for the time being. If they can match or beat their offer, we'll be putting them all on one policy. Overall, their reps were highly professional. Everything went smoothly. The rep emailed the binder rate over, all they had to do is plug it in to the closing cost and the bank sent them the funds and I've already gotten my declarations documents and everything for the house and it worked out really well.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I had my other insurance company for seven years and this year I decided to switch to National General Homeowners Insurance because I was told that if I move my house insurance, I would get a discount. I liked it, so I switched. So far, I'm satisfied with them. Their customer service agents were knowledgeable. One time, when they tried to adjust the rate for my home, I called the 800 or 888 number from the statement, yet it wasn't the right number. I'm confused but I understand the company has many other company and everyone has a different 800 number. Other than that, I'm okay. I already recommended someone to them. He was looking for a new home insurance and he liked it and he thanked me for that.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I got a rental and auto insurance from National General Insurance. Its policy was higher than Century 21 that I had in the past. However, Century 21 no longer provided services for Ohio and Cincinnati. Also, the reps from National General Insurance were very ice. I also have a dime that probably needs to be insured. But I don't think it is included because of the volume. I don't know if that would be an addendum but I'm assuming it's concluded for $4,000.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We have our home insurance with National General Homeowners Insurance. The coverage on the plan is good and so far, I'm pleased with them. I had called their customer service when we had moved and misplaced the bill and their reps were very helpful and very kind.

Original review: May 13, 2018

National General Homeowner's Insurance is a good insurance. The amount of coverage was okay and I had a good experience with them.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I was looking for an insurance company for me and my wife. National General has better coverage details than other companies. I got an auto and home insurance from them and it's a good plan. Their customer service rep was really good, as well.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I obtained the auto insurance first and then home insurance from National General. However, after my car wrecked, they were bumped, they just didn't want to insure him. So far, my interaction with their reps has been good. When I went to their office and got the auto insurance, their reps were professional, but the girl I dealt with wasn't quite knowledgeable. When I went and got the home owner's insurance, the guy I spoke to over the phone was completely thorough. As far as the car insurance, its coverage was not what we've normally had but due to the circumstances, the cost becomes so crazy. It's okay for now. We're hoping we could increase our coverage to where we were before. I'm grateful that we could get the insurance. There are companies that you're with forever and pay, but if you have something minor, they're done with you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I had to call 5 to 6 times to get things straightened out. I couldn't opened the emails to e-sign. I had to fax everything from work. I had to do all the work myself. I didn't like having to make so many calls and faxing my boyfriend’s info to you because he lives with me. You seem like an ok Company but too much work on me.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I called to see if my Comprehensive deductible could be raised from zero to $1000. And what I could save by increasing this deductible. The agent I spoke to, and I didn't get his name, was super helpful in telling me my options. Seems I could save quite bit, so he increased that for me.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I contacted National General Insurance because we had bought a new car and sold a car that was insured by National General. We needed to drop coverage on the 2002 Sonata and obtain full coverage insurance on the 2016 Fiat 500 we bought on 1/10/18. Mrs. ** was very helpful, very professional and courteous as well as personable.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I got home insurance through National General and I seem to like them. The service representatives have been really nice. I called a couple of times and they answered quickly and got back with me and started to answer the questions I had. One time I called them about one house that I was going to buy and the guy was really thorough about hardwood floors; if the house had crown molding; if it had granite countertops. Then I called back as the house fell through because the foundation wasn’t good and the electrical hasn't had an inspection. So I bought the other one and I called National General back and they were really quite thorough with everything. Then my address was not correct. When I was on the phone with them, they changed it and then they also sent me plus my loan officer an email to tell that it was changed. They were really helpful with the process.

The amount of coverage was reasonable. I even went up on my car insurance since I bought a home. I have not used National General yet but I’m hoping it’s enough as I never want anything to happen that I have to use my home or car insurance. I hope it’s a good insurance company. I went online and they’ve been in business for about over 50 years. It started in North Carolina so I think they’re a reputable company.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

The customer service from National General was very nice initially but every time I call back, they would quote the entire policy again on the phone and start asking me all the same questions. Then I got switched to a different agent and she gave me a new quote. I called back to purchase it and then they pushed me back to the other agent who gave me my initial quote. I told her to transfer me to the agent who gave me the last quote so I can purchase the insurance without answering all the questions again.

And the original agent got on and requoted me again. He was literally sitting next to the guy and ignored what I had asked for. I wish I could have bought through the female representative because she deserved it. That part wasn’t good but the winning point for me was National General’s price so I got a home insurance through them. The amount was perfect. It was a little bit more than I was planning on getting because the price was so good.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Everything in my experience with General is good. Going with them because of their price, I also loved that things were done really quick. Everyone was very prompt and the rep was great. However, prior to buying the policy, it was not disclosed that they would subcontract an inspector to come to the house to take pictures. All that was mentioned to me was that I needed to have photos of the outside of the house, which I gave them prior to them underwriting my policy. And then two weeks later, I got a phone call from a private sector saying that General was requiring an inspection. I’m fine with the inspection but I wish the person that sold me that insurance over the phone would have mentioned that because I’m a really busy person and now I have to meet somebody.

National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information