Call toll free
1.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At National General Homeowners Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

80 National General Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 30, 2019

Don't believe the fake news and reviews on other sites, I have National General Insurance, which used to be GMAC in which I financed my Chevy HHR through (No interest loan and once a year they would let you miss a payment if you were having rough times) which is now General insurance and I couldn't afford auto insurance if it wasn't for them. Thank God, I also run a ethical and Honest plumbing biz so for my commercial business insurance I tried AllState so I have compared service and everything when I got in a fender bender in my work van and my car, and both companies took the same amount of time to get estimate and approve work, so the complaint I read here about someone waiting a week is nothing. My brother in law is with Mercury and he's been waiting weeks for them to get the police report. So save yourself over a $1000 a year at least by going with National Auto Insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I obtained an RV insurance through National General. It's like a trailer that is not really an RV, but that might be the same in their book. I also use National General for my auto insurance, so I just added the insurance for my trailer. But when I read my insurance plan, I didn't know if it made 100% sense to me. It said something like 3,000, but I'm trying to figure out what that is. The customer service representative was great. She was helpful and knowledgeable. She crunched numbers for me and that was fast and easy.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

My National General insurance plan's coverage has a lot of flexibility. Also, it is much better than my previous provider. The rep I interacted with was very friendly, helpful and he went above and beyond. When we started talking, it was past his work time and he ended up staying late to work through it. There had been some issues and he followed up and we worked it out the next day. He was very professional and very gratifying. I would recommend National General.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I used National General before, so I got a home insurance policy through them. As far as their professionalism and courteousness, the customer service reps have been good. They've responded very quickly. Also, the amount of coverage provided in my insurance plan is fair. I would recommend National General.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I was T-boned last month by a customer of National General. I contacted & opened a claim w/ this company. The 1st call this started the claim & gave me the phone # of the adjustor in charge of my claim. I called & left messages, never returned. I spoke w/ my insurance & they have everything in case it tries to come back on me somehow. Called again, nearly 2 weeks later & FINALLY get a person. She looked over the notes & saw the adjustor Susan ** had CLOSED the claim due to "not returning her calls"...I have her phone # SAVED in my phone as her so IF she called I would answer. NOTHING.

The associate noticed there were no notes of any outgoing communication except she sent a letter before closing the claim. I now had to reopen it. The associate got me a link to send them pics of my totalled car (est nearly $9k to fix) last Thurs. I received confirmation of completing what they asked for pics & said to call SUSAN ** again to follow up. I called her & had to leave a message yet AGAIN...nothing. I have fibromyalgia & in additional pain since the accident. My vehicle is the ONLY one for my family of 5. My entire driver side doors are buckled in & not of use. I have to fit my family of 5 in a 5 seat vehicle. I have to crawl in and out of the passenger side. This is the most horrific experience with an insurance company I have ever had. Starting tomorrow I am calling 5xs a day until this is resolved! Ridiculous!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Terrible insurance company to deal with for a claim. When I called to report the claim, which was for damage caused by a drunk driver, they said they'd pay for the damages and I would not have to pay a deductible. They were supposed to pay me, then get reimbursed from the driver's insurance. They underestimated the repair charges and told me they wouldn't pay for anything since it was below my deductible. Also, very rude Claims specialist (Michael **) and assessor. The company is based in New Jersey, so what do you expect. I signed up for this insurance through Progressive since I had my auto insurance with them. BIG mistake. I had no idea who the company was going to be...I thought it would be Progressive. I'll be switching to a better company now.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

The process has been a mess from call 1. With the last interaction, it was nothing less than deceit. I hope my worst enemy doesn't use them and neither should anyone else. For example, when I provided comparables showing their offer was too low, they included the comparables, but didn't adjust the amount $1 either way.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

National General has sent me a "CA Homeowner Notice of Non-renewal" - supposedly due to unacceptable wildfire exposure. While I sympathize with the company - to a degree - due to the assumed financial loss they endured due to the devastating wildfires in California during the last two years, I condemn their policy of non-renewal due to wildfire risk for responsible customers NOWHERE NEAR ANY AREA OF RISK. Our home sits in the middle of many "master planned communities" in Temecula, CA, in green belt areas surrounded by 1000's of homes far removed from the closest brush area that could be considered risk areas.

The closest fire from the last two years was well up in the distant hills dozens of miles northwest of our city, which has never been at risk for wildfires in the 27 years we've lived here. The President and CEO of National General, Mr. Karfunkel, should take the lead and personally review the "new lines of risk" as determined by their consulting company "ISO" and exercise due diligence to understand the absurdity of ISO's determinations of wildfire risk, and the ensuing stress and inconvenience of shopping for alternative insurance for people such as myself, loyal, responsible customers, who've never filed a claim, and fund Mr. Karfunkel's purported $5,288,240 annual compensation.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Did online, paid for 1 year. They canceled insurance after 1 and 1/2 months, because when their person came out to take pictures of the house and I wasn't home the person wrote down I had a bad roof, and loose shingles. Funny since I have a metal roof with 50 yr warranty!! Total BULL and 7 days to find new insurance!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I been paying for insurance for National General for years but now thats it's time for them to pay me back they are taking their time. They are quick to take the monthly but if your car gets damaged you're basically ** for quite some time. My car got hit over a week ago and this company is still looking for an estimate. So if you want to be carless pick this company.

National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information