Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes
1.49/5

National General Homeowners Insurance

At National General Homeowners Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

National General Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I had National General Insurance for almost 2 years and I wish I never ever gave them my business. I attempted SEVERAL times to contact them regarding my policy and NEVER received a response. Once I absolutely needed to get a hold of someone I had to wait on hold and get transferred THREE times to finally get to the right place. I then cancelled my policy because I was so dissatisfied with the whole experience. Best part is they have a sneaky cancellation fee they COMPLETELY FAIL TO MENTION among the many phone call transfers and run around. I then called to complain and the man in billing couldn't even get me through to customer service! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!! Someone needs to stop this company!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

This company is a rip off. Shakirara ** works at the claim department and her phone # **. My wife got into a car accident with a drivers who has National General insurance. According to the crash report it was other driver’s fault and our car being a total loss. I got a rental car for 3 weeks until we bought another car. I sent her the invoice to reimburse us but she said we only pay for 1 week in the amount of $210 which means $30/day. This is unfair and unacceptable. I will file a lawsuit soon.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

National General is a rip off. Sure, they will provide you with a policy and collect from you your premium every year, but the moment you file a claim, boom, you get a non-renewal agreement. Furthermore, I asked for an extension on my policy while the repairs were being done to my house as my policy date ends prior to the repairs being complete. They denied and I cannot obtain insurance while my house is under repairs. I also found out that if you have a claim over 5K for whatever reason, they will cancel you. I highly recommend avoiding this company.

A dissatisfied customer

James

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Terrible insurance company to deal with for a claim. When I called to report the claim, which was for damage caused by a drunk driver, they said they'd pay for the damages and I would not have to pay a deductible. They were supposed to pay me, then get reimbursed from the driver's insurance. They underestimated the repair charges and told me they wouldn't pay for anything since it was below my deductible. Also, very rude Claims specialist (Michael **) and assessor. The company is based in New Jersey, so what do you expect. I signed up for this insurance through Progressive since I had my auto insurance with them. BIG mistake. I had no idea who the company was going to be...I thought it would be Progressive. I'll be switching to a better company now.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

The process has been a mess from call 1. With the last interaction, it was nothing less than deceit. I hope my worst enemy doesn't use them and neither should anyone else. For example, when I provided comparables showing their offer was too low, they included the comparables, but didn't adjust the amount $1 either way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

National General has sent me a "CA Homeowner Notice of Non-renewal" - supposedly due to unacceptable wildfire exposure. While I sympathize with the company - to a degree - due to the assumed financial loss they endured due to the devastating wildfires in California during the last two years, I condemn their policy of non-renewal due to wildfire risk for responsible customers NOWHERE NEAR ANY AREA OF RISK. Our home sits in the middle of many "master planned communities" in Temecula, CA, in green belt areas surrounded by 1000's of homes far removed from the closest brush area that could be considered risk areas.

The closest fire from the last two years was well up in the distant hills dozens of miles northwest of our city, which has never been at risk for wildfires in the 27 years we've lived here. The President and CEO of National General, Mr. Karfunkel, should take the lead and personally review the "new lines of risk" as determined by their consulting company "ISO" and exercise due diligence to understand the absurdity of ISO's determinations of wildfire risk, and the ensuing stress and inconvenience of shopping for alternative insurance for people such as myself, loyal, responsible customers, who've never filed a claim, and fund Mr. Karfunkel's purported $5,288,240 annual compensation.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Did online, paid for 1 year. They canceled insurance after 1 and 1/2 months, because when their person came out to take pictures of the house and I wasn't home the person wrote down I had a bad roof, and loose shingles. Funny since I have a metal roof with 50 yr warranty!! Total BULL and 7 days to find new insurance!

Original review: July 30, 2019

Don't believe the fake news and reviews on other sites, I have National General Insurance, which used to be GMAC in which I financed my Chevy HHR through (No interest loan and once a year they would let you miss a payment if you were having rough times) which is now General insurance and I couldn't afford auto insurance if it wasn't for them. Thank God, I also run a ethical and Honest plumbing biz so for my commercial business insurance I tried AllState so I have compared service and everything when I got in a fender bender in my work van and my car, and both companies took the same amount of time to get estimate and approve work, so the complaint I read here about someone waiting a week is nothing. My brother in law is with Mercury and he's been waiting weeks for them to get the police report. So save yourself over a $1000 a year at least by going with National Auto Insurance.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I been paying for insurance for National General for years but now thats it's time for them to pay me back they are taking their time. They are quick to take the monthly but if your car gets damaged you're basically ** for quite some time. My car got hit over a week ago and this company is still looking for an estimate. So if you want to be carless pick this company.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I was rear ended by a National General Auto Insurance client. They sent a claims adjuster out for an estimate of damages. They sent a check immediately for the amount way below the actual cost of repairs. I contacted my insurance agent Mercury Insurance who got on it immediately after my call. They advised not to cash the check and I assume they worked out the details with National. I had an out of pocket expenditure of $240.87 for a rental car because the repair took 9 days to repair. I had to request for the reimbursement a few times before they even responded, after many weeks they finally sent me a check for $179.52 which of course is $61.35 less than my out of pocket. That was more than a week ago. I have called, left messages and still no response. I am running short on patience at this moment. I have to say, I will definitely not recommend this company to my worst enemies.

National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information