Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.73/5

At National General Homeowners Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

National General Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I recently experienced flooding in my basement due to sump pump failure. Stephanie from the claims department was incredibly accessible, responsive, and helpful walking me through the process. Because the dollar amount of the claim exceeded the policy limit, NatGen absorbed the deductible AND compensated me for removal of damaged items from the basement. The proverbial icing on the cake was receiving a physical check overnight! Start to finish, the entire process took nine days! NatGen made the unpleasant experience of a flooded basement considerably less unpleasant! THANK YOU!

Original review: July 30, 2019

Don't believe the fake news and reviews on other sites, I have National General Insurance, which used to be GMAC in which I financed my Chevy HHR through (No interest loan and once a year they would let you miss a payment if you were having rough times) which is now General insurance and I couldn't afford auto insurance if it wasn't for them. Thank God, I also run a ethical and Honest plumbing biz so for my commercial business insurance I tried AllState so I have compared service and everything when I got in a fender bender in my work van and my car, and both companies took the same amount of time to get estimate and approve work, so the complaint I read here about someone waiting a week is nothing. My brother in law is with Mercury and he's been waiting weeks for them to get the police report. So save yourself over a $1000 a year at least by going with National Auto Insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I obtained an RV insurance through National General. It's like a trailer that is not really an RV, but that might be the same in their book. I also use National General for my auto insurance, so I just added the insurance for my trailer. But when I read my insurance plan, I didn't know if it made 100% sense to me. It said something like 3,000, but I'm trying to figure out what that is. The customer service representative was great. She was helpful and knowledgeable. She crunched numbers for me and that was fast and easy.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Do not sign up with this company for homeowner's insurance. This has been my experience so far:

1) Annual quote amount is confirmed and written in the policy. We agreed and signed up. (The only reason we went with this company is because they had similar coverage amounts and they were half the price of Geico's quote.)

2) Within a span of 3 weeks while closing on our house, I had to call their customer service line close to 10 times because they continued to put my wrong HOME address on policy documents. (How can you mess this up?) They kept adding "East" to my town name, or their system did, incorrectly; but either way, it was not double checked and my closing company could not take the documents unless corrected. Their system changed my address automatically back to "East" of the town three or four times.

3) A week after we moved in we received a letter in the mail stating our annual amount had gone up by $230. After calling, we were told that it was because they looked at the outside of the house and it was "nicer than expected".

4) Last week, I received a voicemail from a woman from Mueller Inspections stating she could not find my house for an inspection (which I did not know was going to occur - nobody explained the process to me and after my cost increased the first time, I assumed that was the only time somebody was coming to my house). I couldn't pick up because I'm not able to take personal calls at work and I didn't think much of it. I figured they ended up locating it and everything was all set.

4) A month later (today), I got a call from my Progressive agent, who signed us up for the policy through National General, stating that my homeowner's insurance policy is pending cancellation effective March 20th and I need to call them. After talking with National General, the CS Representative said that my inspection has been re-ordered (could not give me an explanation as to why I wasn't contacted by phone by National General) and if I had any questions I could call Mueller Inspections directly.

5) I just called back the woman who called me last week and apologized for not being able to pick up. She told me that National General gave her the address of "East" town and it took her on a back road. YET AGAIN, their system has incorrectly added "East" to my town name and now it's being dispensed to other companies incorrectly. National General ordered an inspection, gave the inspectors a wrong address, cancelled my policy without calling me and telling me why, and has also now still not changed my home address.

I will wait until this inspection is completed, but I am guessing that based on the crap storm this has been, that National General will increase my price. At that point I'll be cancelling my homeowners insurance with them because this much stress is not worth dealing with a shady company like that.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I had National General Insurance for almost 2 years and I wish I never ever gave them my business. I attempted SEVERAL times to contact them regarding my policy and NEVER received a response. Once I absolutely needed to get a hold of someone I had to wait on hold and get transferred THREE times to finally get to the right place. I then cancelled my policy because I was so dissatisfied with the whole experience. Best part is they have a sneaky cancellation fee they COMPLETELY FAIL TO MENTION among the many phone call transfers and run around. I then called to complain and the man in billing couldn't even get me through to customer service! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!! Someone needs to stop this company!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

This company is a rip off. Shakirara ** works at the claim department and her phone # **. My wife got into a car accident with a drivers who has National General insurance. According to the crash report it was other driver’s fault and our car being a total loss. I got a rental car for 3 weeks until we bought another car. I sent her the invoice to reimburse us but she said we only pay for 1 week in the amount of $210 which means $30/day. This is unfair and unacceptable. I will file a lawsuit soon.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

National General is a rip off. Sure, they will provide you with a policy and collect from you your premium every year, but the moment you file a claim, boom, you get a non-renewal agreement. Furthermore, I asked for an extension on my policy while the repairs were being done to my house as my policy date ends prior to the repairs being complete. They denied and I cannot obtain insurance while my house is under repairs. I also found out that if you have a claim over 5K for whatever reason, they will cancel you. I highly recommend avoiding this company.

A dissatisfied customer

James

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Terrible insurance company to deal with for a claim. When I called to report the claim, which was for damage caused by a drunk driver, they said they'd pay for the damages and I would not have to pay a deductible. They were supposed to pay me, then get reimbursed from the driver's insurance. They underestimated the repair charges and told me they wouldn't pay for anything since it was below my deductible. Also, very rude Claims specialist (Michael **) and assessor. The company is based in New Jersey, so what do you expect. I signed up for this insurance through Progressive since I had my auto insurance with them. BIG mistake. I had no idea who the company was going to be...I thought it would be Progressive. I'll be switching to a better company now.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

The process has been a mess from call 1. With the last interaction, it was nothing less than deceit. I hope my worst enemy doesn't use them and neither should anyone else. For example, when I provided comparables showing their offer was too low, they included the comparables, but didn't adjust the amount $1 either way.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

National General has sent me a "CA Homeowner Notice of Non-renewal" - supposedly due to unacceptable wildfire exposure. While I sympathize with the company - to a degree - due to the assumed financial loss they endured due to the devastating wildfires in California during the last two years, I condemn their policy of non-renewal due to wildfire risk for responsible customers NOWHERE NEAR ANY AREA OF RISK. Our home sits in the middle of many "master planned communities" in Temecula, CA, in green belt areas surrounded by 1000's of homes far removed from the closest brush area that could be considered risk areas.

The closest fire from the last two years was well up in the distant hills dozens of miles northwest of our city, which has never been at risk for wildfires in the 27 years we've lived here. The President and CEO of National General, Mr. Karfunkel, should take the lead and personally review the "new lines of risk" as determined by their consulting company "ISO" and exercise due diligence to understand the absurdity of ISO's determinations of wildfire risk, and the ensuing stress and inconvenience of shopping for alternative insurance for people such as myself, loyal, responsible customers, who've never filed a claim, and fund Mr. Karfunkel's purported $5,288,240 annual compensation.

National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information