Call toll free
1.98/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At National General Homeowners Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

71 National General Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I used a lot of insurance providers over the years. I was with Progressive but there was a contractual problem with the company I was with and they weren’t writing policies anymore through Progressive. So Progressive steered me to National General and I got a home insurance with them. The rep I had for the initial policy questionnaire wasn’t the most knowledgeable but the interaction we had went okay.

The amount of coverage on my plan was a little less for more money than what I had before. But it was only $20 or $30, so it wasn’t anything to make a federal case about. I was relying on the agent to steer me through all the different coverage options but she didn’t seem to have a grasp of the whole picture so I just let her do her thing. She said that she was gonna email me a copy of my policy and then she was gonna email me something else. And I never got an email from her at all so I was disappointed. I wanted to get a copy of the policy right away rather than wait for it to show up in the mail, but they didn’t send it.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have all of my insurances through my agent and she farms out my accounts to different companies. I've had plenty of coverage and one of those companies that provide insurance is National General. Having my insurance though has never been about a better sense of security. It has been about meeting requirements 'cause if it weren't for the requirements, I wouldn't have any insurance. I don’t have National General anymore though. It didn’t work so well. There needs to be better coordination and better communication from the agent trying to streamline and simplify the whole process. We don’t have claims. All we have are policies and bills, and the bills get confusing.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I originally had Liberty Mutual for my home but their price kept on going up and I couldn't do it anymore. I had been meaning to switch to National General for a while and a couple of months ago, I got home and auto insurance through them. With National General, I get auto and family discounts because National General used to be GMAC and you can get GM discounted cars and employee discount.

The National General representative I worked with was professional and kind. He walked me right through everything and made things easy. The amount of coverage is also perfect. When I filed an auto claim, they came out to the house and did their thing to my vehicle. I told them where I wanted to go and it was done. With my National General home insurance, I don’t stress about the decrease of my overall escrow with home mortgage. It saves me $400. Most insurance companies – medical, home or auto – are all for the dollar anyways. But National General seems more stable, such that they don’t wanna take advantage of the customer quite yet.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I used to have Mercury, but once I checked into National General, I found that Mercury was way high. I also used to have AARP, which was also really high. I noticed that all these companies, after the second year, start raising prices up and if it's taken out automatically, people don't notice it. I talked with some kid from National General and he was really cool. He said to call if I needed anything. I have auto and home coverage with National General. But I have a 2006 car, with only 17,000 miles, and which I keep in the garage and use in going camping for a month out of the year, that I would like to see full coverage for that month I go camping. Then I’d take it off once the month was up. That way, if anything happened or I wrecked it, I could get it fixed.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I obtained a home insurance policy from National General Homeowners Insurance and I very much appreciated and enjoyed the experience I had with them. Prior to using National General, I had purchased from another insurance provider through an insurance broker that I've been with for 13 years, ever since I’ve been in Colorado. But the cost of that prior insurance kept rising and I didn't have any claims, so it didn’t make sense to me that it would continue to rise. I found out how uncompetitive they were after talking with the new company. Price was 100% the reason why I chose National General.

It has all been pleasant with the reps at National General. I dealt with the gentleman who gave me the quote. There was also a very pleasant gentleman who came out and did a brief inspection of the exterior of my home. The amount of coverage provided in my insurance plan is exactly what I requested, so it’s all there. I got a quote from them for including coverage on my umbrella, but it wasn’t competitive to what I currently have. Nevertheless, I’ve already recommended National General to a few people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: May 2, 2019

I was referred to National General by my real estate agent. From the start it was bad. They gave me very good prices but when they charged me everything was way higher then what I was quoted. When I requested a new agent I was told they don't do that. I have to stay with the one who signed me up. After my policy took effect they sent me a list of dogs that I was allowed to have have at my house and if an adjuster visited my home and seen a dog not on their list they would immediately cancel my policy and I would be still have to pay my yearly price. Which of course I would sue them if they tried.

About 45 days before my policy was to expire I contacted them to inform them I was not renewing with them and being a veteran I was going with USAA. Well now the fun begins. 2 weeks later they send a bill to my mortgage company requesting the following year's payment which they paid and caused my house payment to go up. I contacted them and have been fighting to get my money sent back to the mortgage company. They now state it will take between 60 and 120 days to receive my money because they want to make sure the mortgage company does not stop payment before they can cash the check so today I got the mortgage company involved and according to them National General cashed the check a month ago.

So how can they cancel payment if the check has been cashed. Of course now they will send it back to them in short order. They also took my car insurance payment out. Now mind you I informed them 45 days ago I was not renewing with them. This company is pathetic and should be investigated by the insurance board. After I took out my policy I have read horror stories how people have had them for years. Paid them loads of money and when they filed a claim National General refused to pay. Or only gave them a portion of what was in their policy. Stating some crazy rule they have. If you want to feel secure knowing that your house or auto or anything else you have is protected go to another company. If you sign with these guys you get what is coming to you.

Original review: April 23, 2019

National General Insurance is practicing some questionable acts towards consumers. The company needs to be investigated. Contact the news media and the insurance commissioner's office. Hold them accountable for their behavior.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I obtained an RV insurance through National General. It's like a trailer that is not really an RV, but that might be the same in their book. I also use National General for my auto insurance, so I just added the insurance for my trailer. But when I read my insurance plan, I didn't know if it made 100% sense to me. It said something like 3,000, but I'm trying to figure out what that is. The customer service representative was great. She was helpful and knowledgeable. She crunched numbers for me and that was fast and easy.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Got in to a small accident, wind blew my door out of my hand and hit a parked car. In dealing with claims they asked if I lived with any children over the age of 14. I live with my girlfriend and her two older children and told them. They then added them to my policy without saying anything and sent me a bill for $300. I called them, had to sign an exclusion form stating that I'm the only driver of my car and send them proof that the kids are on another policy, done, right? Nope, they then proceeded to send me a bill for $150 saying I was late in providing that information, however searching all of those emails there was no date specified to provide these items, which I provided immediately, within 2 days. Insurance feels like a scam in the first place, but these guys prove it. You might save a few bucks, but in the long run these people could care less. They would rather see me go than drop their mysterious $150 charge. Shop elsewhere.

Original review: April 1, 2019

On July 26, 2018 our house was destroyed in the Carr fire in Shasta County. It has been 8 months and they continue to delay the process of us restarting our lives. In just the last 2 weeks my claim has now been in the hands of 3 different adjusters at that company. I have been requesting an update as to the status of my claim since 3/19/19 and have yet to get an answer. After having our house and everything we owned destroyed in a fire, this company has been nothing but stressful in the process of attempting to rebuild our lives.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I got hit on my motorcycle by someone who is covered by this company. 100% their fault and that was agreed on so easy process right? Wrong... Auto claims told me to use my own mechanic to get them an estimate, cool not a problem! Took them 3 weeks to call me back and say they're going to send an appraiser themselves so fine I get it because the bike was totaled. THE GUY THEY SENT DIDN'T KNOW MOTORCYCLES AND DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A FOOTPEG OR HANDLEBAR WAS CALLED. How do you have a motorcycle license to appraise when you don't know what you're appraising.

2 more weeks pass without a single word. I call them back just to hear it was already totaled out before the appraiser came out, but they decided to say not a single word to me. "My department doesn't deal with total loss claims." THEN WHY DID YOU NOT HAVE THE OTHER DEPARTMENT CALL ME? These people are incredible at stalling and not wanting to give you money. I'm currently 2 months into this ordeal and still haven't received my money to fix my motorcycle or to get a new one. Oh and this doesn't even cover the bodily injuries side, but I'll write a review on that once that side finishes up. I decided to get a lawyer for that and make it less stressful for myself.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Do yourself a favor and avoid being a customer like they would avoid paying your claim, you have been warned. They sent out an adjuster who agreed with my contractor's assessment then decided to send out another because the original assessment would have been a covered circumstance. The second adjuster got them the answer they were looking for so they covered nothing.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have had National General and now National General Premier for several years. Last year during my renewal I realized my homeowners policy and cars were no longer bundled. I contacted my insurance broker to cancel the existing policies and merge everything together. They screwed up this change so bad, they decided to credit my homeowners policy to my auto policy instead of the home. In July we find out they are cancelling due to non payment. I call and find out it was because of the credit to the auto policy.

There is no reason the home credit should have gone anywhere other than the home policy since this is paid through my escrow account. I then paid personally so my husband would continue to have auto insurance and my mortgage company paid causing more confusion with a credit on the account. I had to open a claim on my house due to roof damage and wind damage, it took over 6 weeks for them to make their decision, all the while damaging my house more. I cancelled my policy in early March as I decided to go with State Farm for 2 cars. 1 RV and the house and they just issued my refund for my homeowner policy. Worst Insurance company ever. Will never do business with them again.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Someone hit me from the side that has Progressive and Progressive tries to say it was my fault but the other car was speeding and National General did not back me up after having them for a long time!!! Kaitlin In the claims department was real rude. She hung up in my friend's ear when she tried to tell her side of the story. They ** me over after being insured with them for a while!!!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Today is March 25th 2019 the Camp Fire happened on November 8th 2018 and we are still in limbo waiting for National General to DO THEIR JOB!!! We went through 3 adjusters in the beginning, we were jerked around with housing assistance due to National General changing the adjusters like they did. I am still waiting to be reimbursed for receipts from November/December of 2018. I have sent the receipts in 3 different times, sent 4 different emails asking about them, NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. I was told in Jan. 2019 that they were going to be cutting a check for 75% personal property, that did not happen. After waiting a month to find out that did not happen I was told instead to send a letter in requesting the 75%. I sent a request in on Feb. 19th 2019 requesting the 75%, today is March 25th, NOTHING HAS HAPPENED!

We have been asked from day one to provide an itemized list to National General of our personal property. We have started that list, over 1200 line items have been submitted, however this is just a small fraction of items we had. How are we supposed to remember every single thing that was in our house, garage, storage buildings after a ACT OF GOD, a DISASTER that was out of our control. Not to mention we had less than 15 minutes to leave our home that day, how are we supposed to do this!!!

I know for a fact that the California Dept of Insurance sent letters to all Insurance companies telling them to release the 75% of personal property to Camp Fire Victims. I am going to be filing a major complaint with the California Dept. of Insurance as well as contacting every single news agency I can about this, including the Nation news outlets. Our case should of and could of been handled months ago instead you are dragging your feet!!!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Claims adjusters are rude if you can get a return call from them. It has been 2 months since a policy holder severely damaged our personal commercial property. We’ve been sent to now the third claims adjuster. We’ve called and left numerous messages and emailed them repeatedly with NO response!!! Our property was damaged by the policy owner. No fault of ours at all. They were cited with speeding, etc... National General Insurance is horrendously negligent and derelict in their duties of paying claims to the injured parties of their policyholders!!! At this point, I would rate this company with a negative 10 star if possible!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I recently purchased a home and went through NatGen for my homeowner's insurance. After doing the home inspection they said my roof needed replaced and gave me 5 days notice to do so. My house is 12 years old. I has a roofer come out to look at it and was told I still have 3-4 years left on this roof. NatGen wasn’t having it. They still said I needed to replace it. I went through Progressive and my inspection just came back and everything is fine. Safe to say I will never use NatGen for homeowner's insurance again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

We had short term care for me and my son mostly because OBAMACARE doesn't really cover all people and it's definitely not affordable. So since we both had diagnosis of cancer 2.5 years ago then short term care was our only option but it was sold to us as a $5000 deductible. But they neglected to tell us that the deductible had to be met each quarter - SO YES $20,000 deductible per year with our policies each costing us over $800 per month each person. They also neglected to tell us that the policy needed to be reissued each quarter and each quarter it would go up in costs.

They cancelled one of our policies because the email to pay for the policy didn't get to us. So they cancelled it and then continued to charge my credit card every month for something I didn't have in effect. Then my son's policy continued and they said that they would continue to charge my credit card even though we didn't renew the policy because his job offers insurance so now he's double covered. _ OH BTW his new monthly policy for a FAMILY is only $125 per month and that includes Vision and Dental and RX and Health and Labs and Mental Health!!!

So I called to today and they are REVIEWING my information to see if they can refund any of my charges that weren't authorized. No wonder Insurance companies want this OBAMACARE. They are all getting rich off the people not getting the FREE INSURANCE. This is ridiculous!!! National General is not an honest company and they are just looking to screw the consumers especially those at a disadvantage from cancer whether you are clean for multiple years or any other health issue like diabetes or even aging. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY'S product or watch them closely.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My husband and I purchased a health insurance policy through National General Insurance a year ago. Fast forward several months and we obtained insurance through employment and no longer need the services National General provides. We have attempted to cancel our policy several times. We have attempted to cancel utilizing their support desk and by both calling and emailing several times. Although they claim that our services are cancelled, they have continued to illegal withdrawal money from our bank account.

The date and the amount that they withdrawal is always inconsistent and is never the original agreed upon amount. It is nearly 8 months later, after the first attempt to cancel, and they are still attempting to withdrawal money from our account. Please listen to the other reviews listed here and find a reputable company to purchase your insurance from. Do not support National General Insurance. Furthermore, we have never filed a health claim through National General and have no owed balances to them. I am convinced this company operates illegally.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Back in Sept. 2018 National General raised my premium 30% on my Auto Ins. They said I had an accident in April. I told them I was victim of a felony hit and run. At no fault of my own. They call it non-chargeable Incidents??? I cancelled my policies, and gave them the cancellation date. They say I still owe them 86.92. I don't. I've disputed with them several times. They said they would subtract $3.00. I've left messages at the Corp. number. To date, no return call. I now have a collections Agency contacting me. Unethical, Deceptive business practices, Poor customer service Contacting the Dept. of Insurance. Don't buy from this company!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Have a insurance claim with this company and after a month they still are reluctant to return my call. Terrible experience with this company. How do you totally refuse to contact a party with an insurance claim. This is an extremely bad business practice on your company's part. It needs improvement.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I am writing regarding Claim ** with National General Insurance. I filed a full roof replacement claim with National General back in November 2018 due to a numerous amount of missing shingles on my roof due to a windstorm. I was on vacation and when I returned back, I noticed that there were quite a bit of missing shingles on the ground along with noticeably a ton of branches due to the windstorm. I filed a claim and was provided Linda ** as my first adjuster. Linda and I had a preliminary conversation regarding the claim and what had happened and she advised that an independent adjuster from Hancock Insurance would be coming out to do a roof inspection.

Following the inspection, Linda unprofessionally called me in the middle of my workday and start accusing me and asking me questions such as "how well do you know your roofer," "who was up on your roof, etc." She declared that she wanted to see the roof inspection since this was a new home I purchased back in May 2018 along with estimates from reputable companies such as Power and DiGiorgi Roofing. I sent over this information and was transferred to Dennis **, Linda's boss regarding this claim. The company then sent another independent roof inspector to my home for a second opinion. Again, they advised that my roof had been vandalized and that the shingles did not come off from a windstorm. Please note that vandalism is covered in my Homeowner’s Policy.

I have been extremely disappointed in the lack of communication, professionalism and false accusations that have been made to myself and my boyfriend. We have invested hard earned money into my first home purchase and I simply want my roof replaced. I pay hard earned money monthly for my mortgage and homeowner’s insurance. Now after months of aggravation and back and forth with the company, I have go to see an attorney on March 12th to answer questions regarding this claim under oath.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

It's been over two months since my home burned to the ground in the Camp Fire. I have been lied to and given the runaround by many different representatives from this company. First they only want to give me half of what I insured my home for. And then they told me they would send the check out the next day. That was NINE days ago. I now have to get an attorney and file with the California insurance commission. Everybody I know from the area has been paid and are trying to move on with their lives. DON'T BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

National General Homeowners Insurance response
Mr. Aubry, we are so sorry to hear about your home. We've sent you a private message, but unfortunately can't comment about specific claims in public forums. We will, however, be sure to expedite your review to our claims team ASAP. In the meantime, please keep us apprised of any changes that occur.

Century National Insurance

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I shopped around for quotes through Geico, and this company made a binding agreement without my knowledge or consent. They drained our escrow account after I had told Geico multiple times that it was simply a quote. Geico even sent an inspector out to our home and I informed them that we went with Allstate. Our mortgage company called to inform us that this company had taken money from our escrow account. I am so upset, as I never authorized this or signed any agreement with them. They are very scammy. They get all of your information and process it without your knowledge. BEWARE. We are in the headache of a process of getting a refund at the moment.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Hi Courtney, we understand your frustration, but we are not affiliated with Geico or Allstate. If we can help you with your home insurance needs, though, please let us know. Our agents are standing by ready to help. You can also visit our website for a free, no obligation home insurance quote.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Our home burned completely in the Camp Fire Disaster. National General initially gave us $3,000 to live on, after contacting them again and demanding more, they sent an additional $10,000. They are always very pleasant on the phone, but nothing ever comes of it. One delay after another, one excuse after another. We had to itemize everything in the house, even after the Insurance Commissioner strongly urged all companies to pay in full without itemization for this disaster. Still waiting... Meanwhile, we have nothing and cannot move forward without our settlement.

Hi Linda,
We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your home. We can't, however, comment on claims in public forums for legal reasons. We have sent you a private message, though, and hope to offer assistance to you during this delicate time.
Thanks so much, Linda.

Century National Insurance

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Our house burned down and National General hangs up on us... So my husband and I just got married and he has National General for his insurance. We both had a house prior to the marriage and due to the fact that his job site was two and a half hours away from his house he stayed at my house during the week and 3 weeks ago we lost his house to a fire. Well National General is telling us now that since he didn't notify them that he was working away they aren't going to cover anything! None of the stuff in the house and none of the mortgage... Good thing he paid them for house insurance the last 5 years. The people we have dealt with have been rude and hang up on us, it's a complete joke!

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Becky, we are so sorry to hear about your husband's home. We can't, however, comment on claims in public forums for legal reasons. We've sent you a private message and hope to offer you our assistance.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I had a slab leak cost over $8,000. I got the repair done like you told me. I got a Check for only 1417. You are evil and lying insurance company. I am get a lawyer involved so you will pay out. They gave me the run away to get estimates to get the job fix and they did pay out and I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I HAVE INSURANCE!!! If you don't paid out for a claim.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

We understand your frustration, Betty, and are so sorry to hear about the leak you experienced. We can't, however, comment on your review as it contains personal claims information. We'll send you a private message, though, in hopes of helping expedite this situation to our claims team. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Consumers beware of this company. After I signed an agreement with them and paid a set premium, they raised my premium without any additional signed agreement from me, and as a result they took the money out of my escrow account leaving me with a shortage. They did this 4 months before the policy was set to expire. I had no idea they did this, until bank reviewed my mortgage. No signature, no consent, no difference in policy was ever explained. DO not do business with this company.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Chaya, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We can't, however, comment on the details of your review as they contain policy-specific information, but would love to speak with you offline to provide some clarity and assistance. We'll send you a private message to see if we can connect. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I shopped around and received a new homeowners policy from National General Insurance after my previous agency ceased to carry homeowners policies. While out of the country on a medical emergency for my mother and into the first month of coverage, National sent me a letter that they would be canceling my policy if the roof didn't get replaced within 30 days. I contacted them 5 days of receipt of this letter (my wife was home) from Europe, explained the medical situation I was in. I asked them to work with me and extend the cancellation for a couple of weeks before I returned to the States and the roof would be replaced. They (underwriters) refused to assist me with my request even though I suggested to send them quotes for a new roof. I even called them when I returned to reconsider but they refused again. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Evan, we understand your frustration, but unfortunately many things like you described below are imposed for legal reasons. Whenever we're able, we always try to work with our customers and provide a buffer if we can. Again, we apologize for the situation and would love to work with you on any insurance needs you may have again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

A pipe burst in my basement causing a 3 foot deep flood. I had recently moved in and all unpacked boxes were being stored there. My home insurance was paid in full for the year before I moved in. Initially, I was assigned an adjuster who contacted me quickly and spoke to me for a good amount of time explaining that I needed to document all of the repairs and items lost with photos and detailed descriptions. I felt good about our initial interaction, but it all went downhill from there.

First, it took over 2 weeks to get the adjuster to come to the house to do the inspection. He had been adamant that we not throw away any damaged items and could store it all in black plastic trash bags temporarily. It was hard enough going through all of my personal items lost and recording them. Then, to have all of my wet destroyed items sitting and molding in bags for 2 weeks was extremely unpleasant. I could not get a hold of the adjuster via email, phone, or text and after 1 month, they paid a portion of the plumbing bill. I was able to get my adjuster's manager's contact info and tried to get her involved. They still have not paid the water restoration company, even after they submitted invoices 5 times, and had tried to contact my adjuster and his manager at least a dozen times. Now, I am having to pay that out of pocket to the tune of 4k+, as the bill is over 60 days past due.

Also, they keep delaying the "review" of my personal items lost claim. It has been 10 weeks since I started this claim, and I'm preparing to take legal action. I have never been so distressed and frustrated with an insurance company like this before. It has been such an emotional process as I lost many irreplaceable things (including my wedding dress, photos, antique linens I have collected over 20 years, etc.) The insurance company deals with loss as their business, so how is it acceptable to ignore your customer, ignore their loss, delay processing of the claim, and put me in a position where I have to pay large sums of money out of pocket that they have agreed to pay directly to the restoration company & plumber.

All in all, this continues to be a horrible experience, and I just want it to be over and done with. You can be sure that I will warn off all family and friends from using NatGen insurance, and I hope you will stay away from them as well. They prey on unsuspecting people who believe they are safely covered by purchasing their home insurance, and make the process so difficult in the expectation that you will give up.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Jennifer, we are so sorry to hear about the pipe burst situation you experienced. We can't, however, comment on the claims made in your review since they pertain to personal claims and policy information. Instead, we'll contact you via private message in hopes of connecting you with someone from our claims department.

National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information