Call toll free
2.23/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At National General Homeowners Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

61 National General Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

Claims adjusters are rude if you can get a return call from them. It has been 2 months since a policy holder severely damaged our personal commercial property. We’ve been sent to now the third claims adjuster. We’ve called and left numerous messages and emailed them repeatedly with NO response!!! Our property was damaged by the policy owner. No fault of ours at all. They were cited with speeding, etc... National General Insurance is horrendously negligent and derelict in their duties of paying claims to the injured parties of their policyholders!!! At this point, I would rate this company with a negative 10 star if possible!!!

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I recently purchased a home and went through NatGen for my homeowner's insurance. After doing the home inspection they said my roof needed replaced and gave me 5 days notice to do so. My house is 12 years old. I has a roofer come out to look at it and was told I still have 3-4 years left on this roof. NatGen wasn’t having it. They still said I needed to replace it. I went through Progressive and my inspection just came back and everything is fine. Safe to say I will never use NatGen for homeowner's insurance again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

We had short term care for me and my son mostly because OBAMACARE doesn't really cover all people and it's definitely not affordable. So since we both had diagnosis of cancer 2.5 years ago then short term care was our only option but it was sold to us as a $5000 deductible. But they neglected to tell us that the deductible had to be met each quarter - SO YES $20,000 deductible per year with our policies each costing us over $800 per month each person. They also neglected to tell us that the policy needed to be reissued each quarter and each quarter it would go up in costs.

They cancelled one of our policies because the email to pay for the policy didn't get to us. So they cancelled it and then continued to charge my credit card every month for something I didn't have in effect. Then my son's policy continued and they said that they would continue to charge my credit card even though we didn't renew the policy because his job offers insurance so now he's double covered. _ OH BTW his new monthly policy for a FAMILY is only $125 per month and that includes Vision and Dental and RX and Health and Labs and Mental Health!!!

So I called to today and they are REVIEWING my information to see if they can refund any of my charges that weren't authorized. No wonder Insurance companies want this OBAMACARE. They are all getting rich off the people not getting the FREE INSURANCE. This is ridiculous!!! National General is not an honest company and they are just looking to screw the consumers especially those at a disadvantage from cancer whether you are clean for multiple years or any other health issue like diabetes or even aging. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY'S product or watch them closely.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My husband and I purchased a health insurance policy through National General Insurance a year ago. Fast forward several months and we obtained insurance through employment and no longer need the services National General provides. We have attempted to cancel our policy several times. We have attempted to cancel utilizing their support desk and by both calling and emailing several times. Although they claim that our services are cancelled, they have continued to illegal withdrawal money from our bank account.

The date and the amount that they withdrawal is always inconsistent and is never the original agreed upon amount. It is nearly 8 months later, after the first attempt to cancel, and they are still attempting to withdrawal money from our account. Please listen to the other reviews listed here and find a reputable company to purchase your insurance from. Do not support National General Insurance. Furthermore, we have never filed a health claim through National General and have no owed balances to them. I am convinced this company operates illegally.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Back in Sept. 2018 National General raised my premium 30% on my Auto Ins. They said I had an accident in April. I told them I was victim of a felony hit and run. At no fault of my own. They call it non-chargeable Incidents??? I cancelled my policies, and gave them the cancellation date. They say I still owe them 86.92. I don't. I've disputed with them several times. They said they would subtract $3.00. I've left messages at the Corp. number. To date, no return call. I now have a collections Agency contacting me. Unethical, Deceptive business practices, Poor customer service Contacting the Dept. of Insurance. Don't buy from this company!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Have a insurance claim with this company and after a month they still are reluctant to return my call. Terrible experience with this company. How do you totally refuse to contact a party with an insurance claim. This is an extremely bad business practice on your company's part. It needs improvement.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I am writing regarding Claim ** with National General Insurance. I filed a full roof replacement claim with National General back in November 2018 due to a numerous amount of missing shingles on my roof due to a windstorm. I was on vacation and when I returned back, I noticed that there were quite a bit of missing shingles on the ground along with noticeably a ton of branches due to the windstorm. I filed a claim and was provided Linda ** as my first adjuster. Linda and I had a preliminary conversation regarding the claim and what had happened and she advised that an independent adjuster from Hancock Insurance would be coming out to do a roof inspection.

Following the inspection, Linda unprofessionally called me in the middle of my workday and start accusing me and asking me questions such as "how well do you know your roofer," "who was up on your roof, etc." She declared that she wanted to see the roof inspection since this was a new home I purchased back in May 2018 along with estimates from reputable companies such as Power and DiGiorgi Roofing. I sent over this information and was transferred to Dennis **, Linda's boss regarding this claim. The company then sent another independent roof inspector to my home for a second opinion. Again, they advised that my roof had been vandalized and that the shingles did not come off from a windstorm. Please note that vandalism is covered in my Homeowner’s Policy.

I have been extremely disappointed in the lack of communication, professionalism and false accusations that have been made to myself and my boyfriend. We have invested hard earned money into my first home purchase and I simply want my roof replaced. I pay hard earned money monthly for my mortgage and homeowner’s insurance. Now after months of aggravation and back and forth with the company, I have go to see an attorney on March 12th to answer questions regarding this claim under oath.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

It's been over two months since my home burned to the ground in the Camp Fire. I have been lied to and given the runaround by many different representatives from this company. First they only want to give me half of what I insured my home for. And then they told me they would send the check out the next day. That was NINE days ago. I now have to get an attorney and file with the California insurance commission. Everybody I know from the area has been paid and are trying to move on with their lives. DON'T BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

National General Homeowners Insurance response
Mr. Aubry, we are so sorry to hear about your home. We've sent you a private message, but unfortunately can't comment about specific claims in public forums. We will, however, be sure to expedite your review to our claims team ASAP. In the meantime, please keep us apprised of any changes that occur.

Century National Insurance

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I shopped around for quotes through Geico, and this company made a binding agreement without my knowledge or consent. They drained our escrow account after I had told Geico multiple times that it was simply a quote. Geico even sent an inspector out to our home and I informed them that we went with Allstate. Our mortgage company called to inform us that this company had taken money from our escrow account. I am so upset, as I never authorized this or signed any agreement with them. They are very scammy. They get all of your information and process it without your knowledge. BEWARE. We are in the headache of a process of getting a refund at the moment.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Hi Courtney, we understand your frustration, but we are not affiliated with Geico or Allstate. If we can help you with your home insurance needs, though, please let us know. Our agents are standing by ready to help. You can also visit our website for a free, no obligation home insurance quote.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Our home burned completely in the Camp Fire Disaster. National General initially gave us $3,000 to live on, after contacting them again and demanding more, they sent an additional $10,000. They are always very pleasant on the phone, but nothing ever comes of it. One delay after another, one excuse after another. We had to itemize everything in the house, even after the Insurance Commissioner strongly urged all companies to pay in full without itemization for this disaster. Still waiting... Meanwhile, we have nothing and cannot move forward without our settlement.

Hi Linda,
We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your home. We can't, however, comment on claims in public forums for legal reasons. We have sent you a private message, though, and hope to offer assistance to you during this delicate time.
Thanks so much, Linda.

Century National Insurance

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Our house burned down and National General hangs up on us... So my husband and I just got married and he has National General for his insurance. We both had a house prior to the marriage and due to the fact that his job site was two and a half hours away from his house he stayed at my house during the week and 3 weeks ago we lost his house to a fire. Well National General is telling us now that since he didn't notify them that he was working away they aren't going to cover anything! None of the stuff in the house and none of the mortgage... Good thing he paid them for house insurance the last 5 years. The people we have dealt with have been rude and hang up on us, it's a complete joke!

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Becky, we are so sorry to hear about your husband's home. We can't, however, comment on claims in public forums for legal reasons. We've sent you a private message and hope to offer you our assistance.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I had a slab leak cost over $8,000. I got the repair done like you told me. I got a Check for only 1417. You are evil and lying insurance company. I am get a lawyer involved so you will pay out. They gave me the run away to get estimates to get the job fix and they did pay out and I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I HAVE INSURANCE!!! If you don't paid out for a claim.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

We understand your frustration, Betty, and are so sorry to hear about the leak you experienced. We can't, however, comment on your review as it contains personal claims information. We'll send you a private message, though, in hopes of helping expedite this situation to our claims team. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Consumers beware of this company. After I signed an agreement with them and paid a set premium, they raised my premium without any additional signed agreement from me, and as a result they took the money out of my escrow account leaving me with a shortage. They did this 4 months before the policy was set to expire. I had no idea they did this, until bank reviewed my mortgage. No signature, no consent, no difference in policy was ever explained. DO not do business with this company.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Chaya, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We can't, however, comment on the details of your review as they contain policy-specific information, but would love to speak with you offline to provide some clarity and assistance. We'll send you a private message to see if we can connect. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I shopped around and received a new homeowners policy from National General Insurance after my previous agency ceased to carry homeowners policies. While out of the country on a medical emergency for my mother and into the first month of coverage, National sent me a letter that they would be canceling my policy if the roof didn't get replaced within 30 days. I contacted them 5 days of receipt of this letter (my wife was home) from Europe, explained the medical situation I was in. I asked them to work with me and extend the cancellation for a couple of weeks before I returned to the States and the roof would be replaced. They (underwriters) refused to assist me with my request even though I suggested to send them quotes for a new roof. I even called them when I returned to reconsider but they refused again. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Evan, we understand your frustration, but unfortunately many things like you described below are imposed for legal reasons. Whenever we're able, we always try to work with our customers and provide a buffer if we can. Again, we apologize for the situation and would love to work with you on any insurance needs you may have again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

A pipe burst in my basement causing a 3 foot deep flood. I had recently moved in and all unpacked boxes were being stored there. My home insurance was paid in full for the year before I moved in. Initially, I was assigned an adjuster who contacted me quickly and spoke to me for a good amount of time explaining that I needed to document all of the repairs and items lost with photos and detailed descriptions. I felt good about our initial interaction, but it all went downhill from there.

First, it took over 2 weeks to get the adjuster to come to the house to do the inspection. He had been adamant that we not throw away any damaged items and could store it all in black plastic trash bags temporarily. It was hard enough going through all of my personal items lost and recording them. Then, to have all of my wet destroyed items sitting and molding in bags for 2 weeks was extremely unpleasant. I could not get a hold of the adjuster via email, phone, or text and after 1 month, they paid a portion of the plumbing bill. I was able to get my adjuster's manager's contact info and tried to get her involved. They still have not paid the water restoration company, even after they submitted invoices 5 times, and had tried to contact my adjuster and his manager at least a dozen times. Now, I am having to pay that out of pocket to the tune of 4k+, as the bill is over 60 days past due.

Also, they keep delaying the "review" of my personal items lost claim. It has been 10 weeks since I started this claim, and I'm preparing to take legal action. I have never been so distressed and frustrated with an insurance company like this before. It has been such an emotional process as I lost many irreplaceable things (including my wedding dress, photos, antique linens I have collected over 20 years, etc.) The insurance company deals with loss as their business, so how is it acceptable to ignore your customer, ignore their loss, delay processing of the claim, and put me in a position where I have to pay large sums of money out of pocket that they have agreed to pay directly to the restoration company & plumber.

All in all, this continues to be a horrible experience, and I just want it to be over and done with. You can be sure that I will warn off all family and friends from using NatGen insurance, and I hope you will stay away from them as well. They prey on unsuspecting people who believe they are safely covered by purchasing their home insurance, and make the process so difficult in the expectation that you will give up.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Jennifer, we are so sorry to hear about the pipe burst situation you experienced. We can't, however, comment on the claims made in your review since they pertain to personal claims and policy information. Instead, we'll contact you via private message in hopes of connecting you with someone from our claims department.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was notified by National General that they purchased Century National who handled our Bundle Policy for Home, Cars, Earthquake and the Umbrella policy for the last 22 years. The new rate increased 35%. After several calls speaking to supervisors and underwriters I was told that National General rates are just higher and we were welcome to shop around. So on that advice we shopped around and found an even better policy for 30% less than the new rate National General invoiced. Their Business model of buying other insurance companies and then increasing those existing policy holders 35% drove this loyal customer to a competitor.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

We hate to lose your business, Mark, and appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience with Century National. It is not necessarily our practice to raise rates; rather, the rates that are returned to you are determined by a series of things determined by underwriters like location, driving history and more. If ever you're interested, we can always conduct a review of your insurance portfolio to ensure you're getting all applicable savings and discounts. In fact, we encourage that no matter what insurance company you choose to go with. Thanks again for your review, Mark. It allows us to improve the customer experience going forward.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was never supposed to have a policy with this company. They got my information from a company I had canceled my policy with and without my knowledge or consent created a policy and took money from my escrow. It has been a month since I contacted the company and demanded they cancel that policy and return the money they took without my knowledge or consent and they still have not returned my money.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Hi Jennifer, we can't comment on the claims below directly without knowing all the details, but always encourage customers to contact us directly with any questions. We'd be happy to schedule a call to discuss this with you one on one. If you're interested, please let us know.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

My National General insurance plan's coverage has a lot of flexibility. Also, it is much better than my previous provider. The rep I interacted with was very friendly, helpful and he went above and beyond. When we started talking, it was past his work time and he ended up staying late to work through it. There had been some issues and he followed up and we worked it out the next day. He was very professional and very gratifying. I would recommend National General.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

National General sent a notice of cancellation based on the incorrect assumption that my house was vacant. They could have easily verified that I live in the house. Instead I had to prove that I reside on the property. There was no explanation, no apology for my stress and inconvenience. I won’t be renewing this policy.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

Tom, we hate to lose your business and would love to discuss this with you offline. If you're interested in speaking with an agent, please let us know and we'll schedule a time for your agent to call you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My parked car got hit by someone that has National General Insurances, and I’m having a bad experience with this insurance company. They will not cover the full cost of the car rental. They have their own prices range of how much they will refund you back, and on top of that you are responsible for the cost of the rental up front and then they will refund you back, well that’s what they said. They also want me to put my own insurance on the rental.

National General Homeowners Insurance response

We're sorry to hear that you were involved in an accident with one of our insureds, Rocio, and hope you recovered well. If you need any additional assistance with this claim, please let us know and we'll have someone from our claims department give you a call.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I used National General before, so I got a home insurance policy through them. As far as their professionalism and courteousness, the customer service reps have been good. They've responded very quickly. Also, the amount of coverage provided in my insurance plan is fair. I would recommend National General.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I used a lot of insurance providers over the years. I was with Progressive but there was a contractual problem with the company I was with and they weren’t writing policies anymore through Progressive. So Progressive steered me to National General and I got a home insurance with them. The rep I had for the initial policy questionnaire wasn’t the most knowledgeable but the interaction we had went okay.

The amount of coverage on my plan was a little less for more money than what I had before. But it was only $20 or $30, so it wasn’t anything to make a federal case about. I was relying on the agent to steer me through all the different coverage options but she didn’t seem to have a grasp of the whole picture so I just let her do her thing. She said that she was gonna email me a copy of my policy and then she was gonna email me something else. And I never got an email from her at all so I was disappointed. I wanted to get a copy of the policy right away rather than wait for it to show up in the mail, but they didn’t send it.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

After paying my policy in full each year thinking I had proper flood insurance, I was notified that the Houston Harvey "Event" was not a "flood" which was covered, but it was a "Substantial Rain Storm" and that is NOT covered and thus the claim was denied in its entirety. Then the went up on the renewal from $2650 to $3599. That was enough, changed to a better provider, with better coverage's and a policy with far less provider exit clauses as National General used to not pay any claims in Houston. The new providers premium is $1520. I would never waste my hard earned money with a company like National General.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I got coverage on my duplex and the National General insurance guy who I talked to was nice until the very end. He won’t let me read the statement and wanted me to give my name. I heard the statement and I told him that if he made me do the same thing and give me a statement, then that will be great. When one buys stuff over the phone and then gets hit with this, “Well, I need you to listen to the statement and say you agree with me and give me your name,” that tells me people are lawyering up and they think one can get it. Yet I still ended up going with them because I needed to get something done at that point. I gotta have insurance and I can’t not have it. It’s just a necessity. I got it and the amount of coverage provided is minimum.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I saw a National General Homeowners Insurance ad on the internet and gave them a call. Paul, the rep, was a professional guy. He answered all the questions that I had and walked me through the process.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Everyone has a situation, so not going to bore you with the details of that. Just know, I tried to cancel my daughter's car insurance with National General because my daughter has been deemed incompetent due to her mental illness and granted me guardianship over her. I received Guardianship papers in May 2018 and I felt due to her illness driving would not be a option for her anymore. Fast forward, sold her car, turned her tags into the DMV. Called her agent with NG as a courtesy to let them know all measurements were done, cancel insurance. NG agent wanted a copy of the guardianship papers with good right to cancel insurance. No problem, scanned over.

Here's where the story gets frustrating, the agent wanted to go around and around with me as to why my daughter needed to call and cancel instead of me, her guardian, awarded by the state with proof of that. Wanted more explanation as to why she can't call herself and why. After having to go into painful detail once again as to why, she then says, let my manager call you... really?... so I can explain this again? No thanks. Here's the beautiful twist. Called the Customer Service representative, Emily. what a breath of fresh air. She was kind, she listened and very understanding. Got the cancellation DocuSign via email, electronically signed and went back to bed to retrieve sleep for my next shift. Thank you, Emily. And thank you National General for having some people on staff that will hear, listen and react positively.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I just canceled my National General Homeowners policy (through GEICO) after receiving notification that their home inspection found the replacement cost to be $200,000 higher than 2 months ago when I signed up for the insurance. The inspector took his (faulty) measurements over those on file with our town (my house is only 12 years old so all the assessment data is current), overstating our finished square footage by 850+ sf.

He added a 1/2 bath that doesn't exist. He guessed (incorrectly) at our electric service (it's 200 Amp, he said 150), although the house is 12 years old, he said everything but our electrical panel (roof, furnace, plumbing, etc.) was under 5 years old. The errors go on and on. The additional replacement cost upped our policy by $249 - and it would have automatically increased annually if I hadn't canceled. This inspector pulled numbers out of a hat when determining costs. Most importantly, properly insuring a dwelling is the responsibility of the owners, not the company.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have all of my insurances through my agent and she farms out my accounts to different companies. I've had plenty of coverage and one of those companies that provide insurance is National General. Having my insurance though has never been about a better sense of security. It has been about meeting requirements 'cause if it weren't for the requirements, I wouldn't have any insurance. I don’t have National General anymore though. It didn’t work so well. There needs to be better coordination and better communication from the agent trying to streamline and simplify the whole process. We don’t have claims. All we have are policies and bills, and the bills get confusing.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have a travel trailer and I got an auto and trailer insurance from National General. I interacted with the reps pretty well. They explained everything and gave me a good rate, and I liked that. The amount of coverage provided by my insurance plan is fine. National General is a good insurance company and they’re cheaper than the previous one I had.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Home inspection was done after policy was in effect. This revealed a Stab-Lok breaker panel and they cancelled my policy without giving me any opportunity to replace the panel. They just left me with no coverage. They didn't care that my home was at risk for a complete loss, a total disaster. I have never dealt with this kind of inconsiderate nincompoops before and would not recommend them to anybody.

National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information