This company is not yet accredited. See reviews below to learn more or submit your own review.
National General, formerly known as GMAC insurance, sells homeowners insurance as well as RV and auto insurance. Plan coverage with National General ranges from basic to comprehensive. National General’s prices trend higher than competitors’, but customers have access to several discounts to lower their premiums.
Overall, National General is a good choice for homeowners. Although prices are high for comprehensive coverage, customers who qualify for enough discounts pay significantly lower premiums.
- 24/7 claims
- Bundling options
- Multiple discounts
- Pricey comprehensive coverage
I got a home insurance through National General. I've had them for a little while. I called them with whatever my issues were, probably about my payment or something with my insurance, and they were always very courteous, kind, and polite. They were very efficient as far as that goes. I feel secure because I'm covered and safe. I'd recommend!Read full review
My National General insurance plan's coverage has a lot of flexibility. ... The rep I interacted with was very friendly, helpful and he went above and beyond. When we started talking, it was past his work time and he ended up staying late to work through it. ... I would recommend National General.Read full review
How does National General homeowners insurance work?
National General offers basic and comprehensive homeowners insurance coverage. The basic coverage is affordable but more limited. Comprehensive coverage costs significantly more, especially with add-ons, though customers who qualify for discounts pay less. Some customers bundle their homeowners insurance with auto insurance from National General to receive a discount. National General also offers RV insurance. The company has a strong rating for financial strength from AM Best.
National General homeowners insurance cost
National General’s homeowners insurance costs anywhere from $600 a year for basic coverage to $2,000 or more each year for comprehensive coverage. The most significant factors that determine the cost of homeowners insurance are the value of the covered home, geographic location and level of coverage. The best way to get an exact quote is to call National General directly or fill out a quote form online.
What does National General homeowners insurance cover?
National General's homeowners insurance policies range from basic to comprehensive. Depending on the plan you choose, your policy may include:
- Guaranteed and extended home replacement covers the full value of your house in the event of the total loss of your home.
- Possessions coverage provides payments to replace homeowners’ possessions both inside and outside their homes.
- Green upgrades pay for upgrades from traditional appliances to energy-efficient ones.
- Identity theft protection from National General covers up to $15,000 in legal fees and other costs associated with identity theft.
- Open perils coverage provides financial protection from damage caused by wind, lightning and fire.
- Loss of use coverage pays for alternative living arrangements when a home is temporarily uninhabitable.
- Ordinance and law protection pays for extra construction costs required to adhere to new city or municipal code standards when replacing your home after a total loss.
- Water backup protection covers water backup from drains, sewers and sump pumps.
National General homeowners insurance discounts
National General offers multiple discounts that can significantly lower your premium costs. The company recommends that homeowners review policies regularly to see what discounts they qualify for.
- Age of home: Houses built recently are eligible for policy discounts.
- Auto/home bundling: Bundle home and auto insurance policies with National General and pay less.
- Claim-free: Customers who haven’t made a recent claim receive a discount.
- College education: Education levels sometimes affect insurance rates. Customers with a college education are eligible for a discount.
- Gated community: Homes in gated communities receive a discount because of the decreased likelihood of theft.
- Homebuyer: Recent homebuyers pay less for policies with National General.
- Homeowners association: Members of homeowners associations pay less for home insurance policies.
- Protective devices: Because smoke, fire and security alarms decrease the risk of damage, customers with these protective devices pay lower premiums.
- Superior construction: National General may charge less for homeowners insurance that covers a home of excellent build quality.
National General homeowners insurance FAQ
- Is National General Insurance legitimate?
- Yes. AM Best, the well-known insurance rating organization, gives National General Insurance a solid rating for financial strength.
- Does National General Insurance have an app?
- No, National General doesn’t currently have a mobile app.
- How can I get a quote from National General Insurance?
- To get a quote for homeowners insurance from National General, call the company or fill out its online form.
- How much does National General homeowners insurance cover?
- National General’s homeowners insurance covers a home and its possessions up to a predetermined dollar amount. You can add supplemental insurance if the base coverage isn’t sufficient.
Is National General homeowners insurance worth it?
National General homeowners insurance is worth it to those looking for affordable, basic coverage. The company’s comprehensive insurance is expensive, but premiums are much lower for customers who qualify for multiple discounts. We like that National General has 24/7 claims service and bundling options. The company is worth considering if you’re looking to purchase homeowners insurance.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
This company is partnered with Progressive. They are one of the cheapest insurance products out there. And it shows. They are slow to respond to inquiries. And if you file a claim they drop you. I had wind damage from an old roof. The only claim that I filed. They decided to not renew my insurance. So they're fine taking your money, but the minute you need them they bolt. Stay away. Find something worth paying for.
I would not recommend National General. They are shady on their prices and they change policy price increasing premium nonsense. After you have the policy, you have already cancelled your other insurance, no other carrier will take you since you have a brand new insurance you are hostage for months. I would stay away.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
This company is refusing to repair my car when their insured driver backed into because I was "there". Their first offer to me was a 50/50 split in reasonability and I had to go to the store to request surveillance footage of the parking lot, which they could have easily done before making a determination of the incident. Once I provided them with that footage they went, "Well we will say our insured is 80 percent at fault but you will have to cover 20 percent" because their excuse has become because I was there. Having to go through my insurance which has already determined the other driver is 100 percent at fault. If I could I was give them less then 1 star. I would say at least -5 star with the bs they have attempted to claim even after reviewing the video. It's a shame that companies like this can't be held more accountable.
25 years insured. Not one claim till the holy fire. Well I’m sure it really broke their firm. They were horrible to deal with. They made it seem as though they would cover all expenses during evacuation and they didn’t. They said all food and housing and they allowed a certain dollar amount per day on other outside household expenses. If you are staying in a house that you’re renting they will not cover anything that you buy two for repairs. They will not cover Any sort of cosmetic needs or cigarettes, liquor or even lunch. Or dinner for your family that moved you during evacuation!
They are Penny pinchers and liars. Our expenditures were up Around $5000. We were reimbursed 3000 which included the Sanitizing and power washing from all the ashes that were toxic. They would not cover the air conditioning cleaning or the pool cleaning Service and we were told not to return until the ashes were removed because they were toxic. And they wanted to negotiate the rental fee where we were blessed to go stay. On a moments notice, and they Expected the landlord to complete as proof, a form That she needed to answer questions on and return to them before we could Be reimbursed. We never got any money upfront whatsoever. We were being criminalized and spoken to as though we should be in jail instead of back in our home that took us months to return to normal!! From the black soot.
In mind this is a company Who knew they were not prepared to do payouts and the volume that they did I’m sure makes me wonder if they had enough in their own bank account to cover it all and We’ve been paying into it monthly for 25 years and we were treated this way only to receive a letter of cancellation in December due to their Company policy Of living in a fire zone!!?? I lived in this fire zone that they thought was a flood zone 25 years ago. There wasn’t a problem then!
They acted as if we started the fire. Extremely unethical and rude behavior, this fire was the first fire in 100 years and it burned everything To the ground! What makes them think another fire will start again in black burnt down National forest?! I have no idea but it would be another hundred years even before Anything would grow back to burn!! No loyalty, No respect, no compassion for the Displaced-victims. So go to bed. Don’t ever move anywhere where you either have an earthquake or fire or flooding because they won’t ensure it or they’ll fit you like crap if you file a claim after 25 years.
Do not sign up with this company for homeowner's insurance. This has been my experience so far:
1) Annual quote amount is confirmed and written in the policy. We agreed and signed up. (The only reason we went with this company is because they had similar coverage amounts and they were half the price of Geico's quote.)
2) Within a span of 3 weeks while closing on our house, I had to call their customer service line close to 10 times because they continued to put my wrong HOME address on policy documents. (How can you mess this up?) They kept adding "East" to my town name, or their system did, incorrectly; but either way, it was not double checked and my closing company could not take the documents unless corrected. Their system changed my address automatically back to "East" of the town three or four times.
3) A week after we moved in we received a letter in the mail stating our annual amount had gone up by $230. After calling, we were told that it was because they looked at the outside of the house and it was "nicer than expected".
4) Last week, I received a voicemail from a woman from Mueller Inspections stating she could not find my house for an inspection (which I did not know was going to occur - nobody explained the process to me and after my cost increased the first time, I assumed that was the only time somebody was coming to my house). I couldn't pick up because I'm not able to take personal calls at work and I didn't think much of it. I figured they ended up locating it and everything was all set.
4) A month later (today), I got a call from my Progressive agent, who signed us up for the policy through National General, stating that my homeowner's insurance policy is pending cancellation effective March 20th and I need to call them. After talking with National General, the CS Representative said that my inspection has been re-ordered (could not give me an explanation as to why I wasn't contacted by phone by National General) and if I had any questions I could call Mueller Inspections directly.
5) I just called back the woman who called me last week and apologized for not being able to pick up. She told me that National General gave her the address of "East" town and it took her on a back road. YET AGAIN, their system has incorrectly added "East" to my town name and now it's being dispensed to other companies incorrectly. National General ordered an inspection, gave the inspectors a wrong address, cancelled my policy without calling me and telling me why, and has also now still not changed my home address.
I will wait until this inspection is completed, but I am guessing that based on the crap storm this has been, that National General will increase my price. At that point I'll be cancelling my homeowners insurance with them because this much stress is not worth dealing with a shady company like that.
- 2,341,963 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
I recently experienced flooding in my basement due to sump pump failure. Stephanie from the claims department was incredibly accessible, responsive, and helpful walking me through the process. Because the dollar amount of the claim exceeded the policy limit, NatGen absorbed the deductible AND compensated me for removal of damaged items from the basement. The proverbial icing on the cake was receiving a physical check overnight! Start to finish, the entire process took nine days! NatGen made the unpleasant experience of a flooded basement considerably less unpleasant! THANK YOU!
I had National General Insurance for almost 2 years and I wish I never ever gave them my business. I attempted SEVERAL times to contact them regarding my policy and NEVER received a response. Once I absolutely needed to get a hold of someone I had to wait on hold and get transferred THREE times to finally get to the right place. I then cancelled my policy because I was so dissatisfied with the whole experience. Best part is they have a sneaky cancellation fee they COMPLETELY FAIL TO MENTION among the many phone call transfers and run around. I then called to complain and the man in billing couldn't even get me through to customer service! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!! Someone needs to stop this company!!
This company is a rip off. Shakirara ** works at the claim department and her phone # **. My wife got into a car accident with a drivers who has National General insurance. According to the crash report it was other driver’s fault and our car being a total loss. I got a rental car for 3 weeks until we bought another car. I sent her the invoice to reimburse us but she said we only pay for 1 week in the amount of $210 which means $30/day. This is unfair and unacceptable. I will file a lawsuit soon.
National General is a rip off. Sure, they will provide you with a policy and collect from you your premium every year, but the moment you file a claim, boom, you get a non-renewal agreement. Furthermore, I asked for an extension on my policy while the repairs were being done to my house as my policy date ends prior to the repairs being complete. They denied and I cannot obtain insurance while my house is under repairs. I also found out that if you have a claim over 5K for whatever reason, they will cancel you. I highly recommend avoiding this company.
Terrible insurance company to deal with for a claim. When I called to report the claim, which was for damage caused by a drunk driver, they said they'd pay for the damages and I would not have to pay a deductible. They were supposed to pay me, then get reimbursed from the driver's insurance. They underestimated the repair charges and told me they wouldn't pay for anything since it was below my deductible. Also, very rude Claims specialist (Michael **) and assessor. The company is based in New Jersey, so what do you expect. I signed up for this insurance through Progressive since I had my auto insurance with them. BIG mistake. I had no idea who the company was going to be...I thought it would be Progressive. I'll be switching to a better company now.
National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information
- Company Name:
- National General Homeowners Insurance