Call toll free
4.51/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At National General Homeowners Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

33 National General Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have all of my insurances through my agent and she farms out my accounts to different companies. I've had plenty of coverage and one of those companies that provide insurance is National General. Having my insurance though has never been about a better sense of security. It has been about meeting requirements 'cause if it weren't for the requirements, I wouldn't have any insurance. I don’t have National General anymore though. It didn’t work so well. There needs to be better coordination and better communication from the agent trying to streamline and simplify the whole process. We don’t have claims. All we have are policies and bills, and the bills get confusing.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 14, 2018

I have a travel trailer and I got an auto and trailer insurance from National General. I interacted with the reps pretty well. They explained everything and gave me a good rate, and I liked that. The amount of coverage provided by my insurance plan is fine. National General is a good insurance company and they’re cheaper than the previous one I had.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Home inspection was done after policy was in effect. This revealed a Stab-Lok breaker panel and they cancelled my policy without giving me any opportunity to replace the panel. They just left me with no coverage. They didn't care that my home was at risk for a complete loss, a total disaster. I have never dealt with this kind of inconsiderate nincompoops before and would not recommend them to anybody.

Original review: June 9, 2018

National General Homeowner’s Insurance had a very good price compared to a lot of other ones. I've had RV insurance through them and now most recently we did homeowners. But I would like them to have one deductible for whatever the claim is. There's another insurance company that we were looking at and they said that they have $1,000 deductible for everything whereas, with National General, the deductible is a percentage. Other than that, the customer service reps that I've dealt with have been very pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful. And I would still tell people to give National General a try.

Original review: June 7, 2018

National General raised my premium, only 2 months into the coverage, saying that my home was "under insured" at 194,000, increasing it to 255,000. I only paid 90,000 in 2013.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: June 7, 2018

I purchased a home and I was directed to National General through my Progressive agent. Adam was the name of the agent I went through on the phone to get my policy set up and he was very helpful. Then, a man that came over and took pictures of the house. He was very nice and very polite. It was a great overall experience and with the amount of coverage provided on my insurance plan, I feel like I got set up right where I need to be.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I originally had Liberty Mutual for my home but their price kept on going up and I couldn't do it anymore. I had been meaning to switch to National General for a while and a couple of months ago, I got home and auto insurance through them. With National General, I get auto and family discounts because National General used to be GMAC and you can get GM discounted cars and employee discount.

The National General representative I worked with was professional and kind. He walked me right through everything and made things easy. The amount of coverage is also perfect. When I filed an auto claim, they came out to the house and did their thing to my vehicle. I told them where I wanted to go and it was done. With my National General home insurance, I don’t stress about the decrease of my overall escrow with home mortgage. It saves me $400. Most insurance companies – medical, home or auto – are all for the dollar anyways. But National General seems more stable, such that they don’t wanna take advantage of the customer quite yet.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I got a home insurance through National General. I've had them for a little while. I called them with whatever my issues were, probably about my payment or something with my insurance, and they were always very courteous, kind, and polite. They were very efficient as far as that goes. I feel secure because I'm covered and safe. I'd recommend!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I used to have Mercury, but once I checked into National General, I found that Mercury was way high. I also used to have AARP, which was also really high. I noticed that all these companies, after the second year, start raising prices up and if it's taken out automatically, people don't notice it. I talked with some kid from National General and he was really cool. He said to call if I needed anything. I have auto and home coverage with National General. But I have a 2006 car, with only 17,000 miles, and which I keep in the garage and use in going camping for a month out of the year, that I would like to see full coverage for that month I go camping. Then I’d take it off once the month was up. That way, if anything happened or I wrecked it, I could get it fixed.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I obtained a home insurance policy from National General Homeowners Insurance and I very much appreciated and enjoyed the experience I had with them. Prior to using National General, I had purchased from another insurance provider through an insurance broker that I've been with for 13 years, ever since I’ve been in Colorado. But the cost of that prior insurance kept rising and I didn't have any claims, so it didn’t make sense to me that it would continue to rise. I found out how uncompetitive they were after talking with the new company. Price was 100% the reason why I chose National General.

It has all been pleasant with the reps at National General. I dealt with the gentleman who gave me the quote. There was also a very pleasant gentleman who came out and did a brief inspection of the exterior of my home. The amount of coverage provided in my insurance plan is exactly what I requested, so it’s all there. I got a quote from them for including coverage on my umbrella, but it wasn’t competitive to what I currently have. Nevertheless, I’ve already recommended National General to a few people.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We had USAA and they dropped us after an accident. At that time it was National General who received us. Then we ended up switching our home insurance as well. They offer more coverage for the money and the customer service is good. We've had one claim with National General.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I've had my car insurance with National General for over 15 years. I'm at a flat rate and I don’t pay as much as a lot of people do. I've had full coverage on my vehicle and their coverage is pretty good. Also, whenever I call them, they really answer my questions. On the other hand, I also obtained a house insurance, and I had somebody touring the house and they canceled my house insurance due to the electrical panel, of which I'm getting taken care of. So, I don’t have a house insurance right now due to that. Other than that, I have recommended National General to other people.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I tried getting an insurance for my home from National General Homeowners Insurance. However, I didn't qualify and I got a letter of cancellation. They said I needed to replace my roof and my chimney. Nonetheless, I understood where they were coming from and I would still recommend them. Also, their reps were very professional and very friendly.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I got a National General Homeowners Insurance for my home which I purchased over the phone. The amount of coverage was good and the rep has been very helpful. He answered my question and he went step by step with everything. National General Homeowners Insurance is great and I like it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I had inherited the car from my mother and I just went to her insurance agent, Southern Land insurance in Hendersonville, North Carolina, and told them I needed insurance. I had two kids who were new drivers and explained the situation to them. National General Insurance was the insurance they found for us. The customer service representative was very helpful because, at one point, we realized we got a North Carolina insurance because that's where the car was registered at the time of my mom's death.

And then, as our daughter started driving back to North Carolina to do the car registration, we realized that if she was gonna keep the car up in Virginia in college most of the time, then she won’t be covered on the North Carolina insurance. So, we switched it to Virginia. And when I had to call up National General Insurance and ask about it, it was an easy process of them transferring me to a Virginia rep, and that person walking me through it found it much cheaper up in Virginia as it was.

As we gave them the names of my husband and I and our driver's license and the two kids that were new drivers, everything went really well. They told us how, in Virginia, they take all drivers’ history into account and because my husband and I had such good driving records, it made it lower in Virginia. In 2015, our son was moving to North Carolina for his job and was taking the car, so we again called National General and said that we were moving the car back to North Carolina. And again, they were very good about getting it switched over in time for him re-registering the car. They were very good in helping walk our children through everything they had to do.

And then at the same time, my son bought his own car this year. Again, we had to have it changed and he decided to go with National General because he had good experience with them, although he has never had a claim. They registered his new car for him and have insured it. During the same telephone conversation, he handed the telephone to me and I re-registered the insurance part back to my husband and I's name. The guy walked us through it and he was very helpful. So, all in one phone conversation, they were able to get him insurance for his new car and us the insurance in our name for the car that has always been insured.

We have super-loyal premiums right now and come July when it's up for renewal again, we'll be switching it back to Virginia because we're leaving it with our two younger children while we go back to Germany. We'll have that whole process too. Our car is so old and the coverage is minimal. If we come back in retirement in about eight years, we would probably check in to National General as a coverage. We haven't had any claims to know what that's like, but as far as customer service and changing from one state to another and all that, it went very well.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I got a home and an auto insurance from National General. Prior to them I used Allstate, and National General is cheaper, so it is better. My few interactions with the customer service reps have been good. They were nice on the phone and easy to get along with. The amount of coverage provided in my plan is enough for me. I would recommend them.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We used National General for our older house and when we built the house we have now, we used the same company. When we needed some paperwork, they definitely followed through. They sent us the information that we needed and we were able to get that part done. Also, the coverage they provide is just enough.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have a home and auto insurance through National General. They were GMEC when they started out and my husband had worked for GMEC for so many years. My previous provider was too high and they didn't meet the needs that I have like adding a car. I like the service of National General better and they have been very helpful along the way making my life easier. They make it easy to pay my bill as well as to get my papers back and show that I'm insured. Also, the representatives are very good.

Original review: May 17, 2018

National General had the best rate, so we had our RV and home insurance with them. We had our RV with Progressive previously. And when we changed the RV, we wanted to see if we could get a better rate keeping the same coverage. So when we looked across the board, National General came in exceedingly less. So, we chose them. They also gave us a decent discount for our homeowner's insurance. They also gave us an extra discount on the cars, not the RV. We were really pleased, even the realtors and lenders. They said the rates were amazing and that the average price for Homeowner's insurance in this area was $1,200 and National General quoted us less than half that.

Unfortunately, you weren't able to do the same thing for a Prius. So the Prius is still sitting with Progressive for the time being. If they can match or beat their offer, we'll be putting them all on one policy. Overall, their reps were highly professional. Everything went smoothly. The rep emailed the binder rate over, all they had to do is plug it in to the closing cost and the bank sent them the funds and I've already gotten my declarations documents and everything for the house and it worked out really well.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I had my other insurance company for seven years and this year I decided to switch to National General Homeowners Insurance because I was told that if I move my house insurance, I would get a discount. I liked it, so I switched. So far, I'm satisfied with them. Their customer service agents were knowledgeable. One time, when they tried to adjust the rate for my home, I called the 800 or 888 number from the statement, yet it wasn't the right number. I'm confused but I understand the company has many other company and everyone has a different 800 number. Other than that, I'm okay. I already recommended someone to them. He was looking for a new home insurance and he liked it and he thanked me for that.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I got a rental and auto insurance from National General Insurance. Its policy was higher than Century 21 that I had in the past. However, Century 21 no longer provided services for Ohio and Cincinnati. Also, the reps from National General Insurance were very ice. I also have a dime that probably needs to be insured. But I don't think it is included because of the volume. I don't know if that would be an addendum but I'm assuming it's concluded for $4,000.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We have our home insurance with National General Homeowners Insurance. The coverage on the plan is good and so far, I'm pleased with them. I had called their customer service when we had moved and misplaced the bill and their reps were very helpful and very kind.

Original review: May 13, 2018

National General Homeowner's Insurance is a good insurance. The amount of coverage was okay and I had a good experience with them.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I was looking for an insurance company for me and my wife. National General has better coverage details than other companies. I got an auto and home insurance from them and it's a good plan. Their customer service rep was really good, as well.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I obtained the auto insurance first and then home insurance from National General. However, after my car wrecked, they were bumped, they just didn't want to insure him. So far, my interaction with their reps has been good. When I went to their office and got the auto insurance, their reps were professional, but the girl I dealt with wasn't quite knowledgeable. When I went and got the home owner's insurance, the guy I spoke to over the phone was completely thorough. As far as the car insurance, its coverage was not what we've normally had but due to the circumstances, the cost becomes so crazy. It's okay for now. We're hoping we could increase our coverage to where we were before. I'm grateful that we could get the insurance. There are companies that you're with forever and pay, but if you have something minor, they're done with you.

Original review: May 10, 2018

We have a home insurance from National General. Compared to our previous insurance provider, National General is much better as it is cheaper and it covers more. I like the amount of coverage the insurance plan provides and the people that I worked with at National General were very helpful. They tried finding whatever discount I could get because we have an auto insurance with them too.

Original review: May 9, 2018

National General was recommended by Progressive Auto Policy and I have the insurance for my home. They provide ideal coverage and they had excellent customer service that handled my claim very well. I was very pleased.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I had to call 5 to 6 times to get things straightened out. I couldn't opened the emails to e-sign. I had to fax everything from work. I had to do all the work myself. I didn't like having to make so many calls and faxing my boyfriend’s info to you because he lives with me. You seem like an ok Company but too much work on me.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I called to see if my Comprehensive deductible could be raised from zero to $1000. And what I could save by increasing this deductible. The agent I spoke to, and I didn't get his name, was super helpful in telling me my options. Seems I could save quite bit, so he increased that for me.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I contacted National General Insurance because we had bought a new car and sold a car that was insured by National General. We needed to drop coverage on the 2002 Sonata and obtain full coverage insurance on the 2016 Fiat 500 we bought on 1/10/18. Mrs. ** was very helpful, very professional and courteous as well as personable.

National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information