Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes
1.56/5

National General Homeowners Insurance

At National General Homeowners Insurance, we care for you, your family and your belongings. This is why we offer quality insurance coverage and a variety of coverage options in order to find the one the best suits your needs. Contact us today to learn more about our coverage options and discounts available!

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

National General Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: June 3, 2019

In March 2018, I was living in a condo and the person a couple doors down from me forgot her bathtub was running and went to sleep. I woke up to a soaked carpet in my bedroom because her water had been running for several hours and it seeped under the walls and across two units. I submitted a claim to my insurance company at the time (USAA -- who were very helpful), and then because my building's insurance covered the cost of the carpet being replaced, I didn't end up doing anything else with the claim at USAA. No money was paid out. Also, the incident wasn't my fault. Come to May 2019 -- I move to a house and purchase National General Homeowners Insurance. Then I get a notice saying they're cancelling our policy in a month because of a previous water claim, even though no money was paid out.

The water claim they're talking about (I called and spoke to a lovely customer service rep to confirm this) was from the condo that the neighbor two doors down caused. So they're cancelling my insurance because of something that wasn't my fault that happened at a completely different property. That makes no sense. I am not a liability. I didn't flood my bathtub and ruin my floor. Why does this have anything to do with a house (not the condo) that I (and not the person who caused the flood) live in? The lady on the phone was really nice and patient and called the underwriters to check -- and she confirmed that they're unwilling to insure us because of that claim that happened somewhere else and was someone else's fault. She also told me that some people don't file claims in the first place because they're afraid they won't be able to get insurance later. The system is broken if that's the case.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I was referred to National General by my real estate agent. From the start it was bad. They gave me very good prices but when they charged me everything was way higher then what I was quoted. When I requested a new agent I was told they don't do that. I have to stay with the one who signed me up. After my policy took effect they sent me a list of dogs that I was allowed to have have at my house and if an adjuster visited my home and seen a dog not on their list they would immediately cancel my policy and I would be still have to pay my yearly price. Which of course I would sue them if they tried.

About 45 days before my policy was to expire I contacted them to inform them I was not renewing with them and being a veteran I was going with USAA. Well now the fun begins. 2 weeks later they send a bill to my mortgage company requesting the following year's payment which they paid and caused my house payment to go up. I contacted them and have been fighting to get my money sent back to the mortgage company. They now state it will take between 60 and 120 days to receive my money because they want to make sure the mortgage company does not stop payment before they can cash the check so today I got the mortgage company involved and according to them National General cashed the check a month ago.

So how can they cancel payment if the check has been cashed. Of course now they will send it back to them in short order. They also took my car insurance payment out. Now mind you I informed them 45 days ago I was not renewing with them. This company is pathetic and should be investigated by the insurance board. After I took out my policy I have read horror stories how people have had them for years. Paid them loads of money and when they filed a claim National General refused to pay. Or only gave them a portion of what was in their policy. Stating some crazy rule they have. If you want to feel secure knowing that your house or auto or anything else you have is protected go to another company. If you sign with these guys you get what is coming to you.

Original review: April 23, 2019

National General Insurance is practicing some questionable acts towards consumers. The company needs to be investigated. Contact the news media and the insurance commissioner's office. Hold them accountable for their behavior.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I obtained an RV insurance through National General. It's like a trailer that is not really an RV, but that might be the same in their book. I also use National General for my auto insurance, so I just added the insurance for my trailer. But when I read my insurance plan, I didn't know if it made 100% sense to me. It said something like 3,000, but I'm trying to figure out what that is. The customer service representative was great. She was helpful and knowledgeable. She crunched numbers for me and that was fast and easy.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Got in to a small accident, wind blew my door out of my hand and hit a parked car. In dealing with claims they asked if I lived with any children over the age of 14. I live with my girlfriend and her two older children and told them. They then added them to my policy without saying anything and sent me a bill for $300. I called them, had to sign an exclusion form stating that I'm the only driver of my car and send them proof that the kids are on another policy, done, right? Nope, they then proceeded to send me a bill for $150 saying I was late in providing that information, however searching all of those emails there was no date specified to provide these items, which I provided immediately, within 2 days. Insurance feels like a scam in the first place, but these guys prove it. You might save a few bucks, but in the long run these people could care less. They would rather see me go than drop their mysterious $150 charge. Shop elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National General Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: April 1, 2019

On July 26, 2018 our house was destroyed in the Carr fire in Shasta County. It has been 8 months and they continue to delay the process of us restarting our lives. In just the last 2 weeks my claim has now been in the hands of 3 different adjusters at that company. I have been requesting an update as to the status of my claim since 3/19/19 and have yet to get an answer. After having our house and everything we owned destroyed in a fire, this company has been nothing but stressful in the process of attempting to rebuild our lives.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I got hit on my motorcycle by someone who is covered by this company. 100% their fault and that was agreed on so easy process right? Wrong... Auto claims told me to use my own mechanic to get them an estimate, cool not a problem! Took them 3 weeks to call me back and say they're going to send an appraiser themselves so fine I get it because the bike was totaled. THE GUY THEY SENT DIDN'T KNOW MOTORCYCLES AND DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A FOOTPEG OR HANDLEBAR WAS CALLED. How do you have a motorcycle license to appraise when you don't know what you're appraising.

2 more weeks pass without a single word. I call them back just to hear it was already totaled out before the appraiser came out, but they decided to say not a single word to me. "My department doesn't deal with total loss claims." THEN WHY DID YOU NOT HAVE THE OTHER DEPARTMENT CALL ME? These people are incredible at stalling and not wanting to give you money. I'm currently 2 months into this ordeal and still haven't received my money to fix my motorcycle or to get a new one. Oh and this doesn't even cover the bodily injuries side, but I'll write a review on that once that side finishes up. I decided to get a lawyer for that and make it less stressful for myself.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Do yourself a favor and avoid being a customer like they would avoid paying your claim, you have been warned. They sent out an adjuster who agreed with my contractor's assessment then decided to send out another because the original assessment would have been a covered circumstance. The second adjuster got them the answer they were looking for so they covered nothing.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have had National General and now National General Premier for several years. Last year during my renewal I realized my homeowners policy and cars were no longer bundled. I contacted my insurance broker to cancel the existing policies and merge everything together. They screwed up this change so bad, they decided to credit my homeowners policy to my auto policy instead of the home. In July we find out they are cancelling due to non payment. I call and find out it was because of the credit to the auto policy.

There is no reason the home credit should have gone anywhere other than the home policy since this is paid through my escrow account. I then paid personally so my husband would continue to have auto insurance and my mortgage company paid causing more confusion with a credit on the account. I had to open a claim on my house due to roof damage and wind damage, it took over 6 weeks for them to make their decision, all the while damaging my house more. I cancelled my policy in early March as I decided to go with State Farm for 2 cars. 1 RV and the house and they just issued my refund for my homeowner policy. Worst Insurance company ever. Will never do business with them again.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Someone hit me from the side that has Progressive and Progressive tries to say it was my fault but the other car was speeding and National General did not back me up after having them for a long time!!! Kaitlin In the claims department was real rude. She hung up in my friend's ear when she tried to tell her side of the story. They ** me over after being insured with them for a while!!!

National General Homeowners Insurance Company Information