1.43/5
Based on 69 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Metlife Dental Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 8, 2018

69 Metlife Dental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

My Dentist’s office had submitted an approval for bridge work in first week of January 2018. As there has been no response in writing either to me or my Dentist for over 3 weeks my Dentist’s office has been calling MetLife for a resolution. On each occasion they have stated that the approval was pending. As my Dentist was not getting any positive responses they requested me to call MetLife directly. On calling MetLife, initially I was told by the agent that the case was pending, on questioning further she told me that the request was denied but refused to give me any details. I requested her that MetLife sends a written confirmation with reasons for denial and she could not confirm that.

As I was going nowhere I asked to speak with a manager, when the manager came on the phone he told me that the request for bridge work was denied back in January for lack of adequate details. When I told him that I was troubled by MetLife’s response the manager apologized for not giving the correct information earlier. I told him that this procedure was approved by Delta my former Insurer last year and the same details were sent t to MetLife. So it is difficult to understand why the service was denied now. He could not give me the details of data that was lacking. I requested that MetLife sends a written confirmation with reasons for denial so that my Dentist could provide the missing data. I got no confirmation. The service provided was not professional and less than satisfactory.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I recently had my wisdom teeth taken out and MetLife was suppose to give me a claim check. Of course being the ** company that they are they have failed to do so after 4 months. I have consistently been on the phone with these people for 4 months now, they tell me they have the "incorrect address". I tell them to change it each time and every time I call again they say they have the wrong one. The company I work for faxes them the correct and still they have incorrect one on file. MetLife likes to play these games with their customers because they are too cheap to pay out. I will be getting an attorney and finding a new insurance company. If I could I would give them zero stars.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I went in for 6 month+ dental check up/cleaning/etc. Hygienist said I was due for certain type of x-rays, that it had been several years since the last set. I trust the hygienist (& my dentist) to know when I am due for particular procedures & when that is covered by my insurance. For instance, they do not schedule my 6 month cleanings/checkups unless they exceed the min. 6 months that Metlife requires.

However in this case the hygienist made a mistake - actually perfectly understandable since it would probably take 10 years to sift through & figure out all of Metlife's changing coverage requirements. I last had these x-rays in April of 2013. Now it is 2018. Sounds like 5 years to most of us. Yet Metlife will not cover the x-rays because I was "early" on that 5 year cutoff by about 2 months/60 days. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So I am expected to pay the full cost now myself. AND NONE OF THIS WILL COUNT TOWARDS MY DEDUCTIBLE EITHER. WHAT THE HECK DO I HAVE INSURANCE FOR? If I could change to another company I would but unfortunately this is the only dental coverage offered through work. Next year I will strongly consider dropping it altogether however since I do not want to give this crap company one more cent.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

If I could leave a 0 star rating I would. I have submitted 6 claims in 2017 for basic dental cleaning. MetLife Dental is 0:6 in processing the claims without running through hoops and waiting MONTHS for the refund. Every time we submitted a form we were denied and told we were not members, I would email them to straighten it out with the denial reference number they provided and every time their automatic response was, "Don't have a claim for that person." If they didn't have a claim, why are they sending me a denial?!

I would have to tell them to look again and magically the claim would appear OR they would never send a denial or a check and they would tell me that I have to mail it in again and wait 30 days. I am pretty sure that is exactly what I did the first time and clearly they were unable to open an envelope and properly file paper. I'm confident the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Now they have sent the dentist office my refund which means they were double paid and I am out $250 and I have to fight with my dentist office to get the money back. The last refund that I had to chase down took 6 months to get my money back and by the time I was finally refunded I had another appointment for a cleaning and the fight has started all over again with the same crap! Customer service is some of the most poorly trained people I have ever met. If I could leave them I would but it is the only dental insurance offered through my employer so we are stuck. TAKE WARNING!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I went to the dentist who wanted to perform a panorama xray. I had them contact MetLife Dental before they did the xray as I could not recall how long it had been since I had had a panorama xray. They said I was eligible for one but when my dentist billed the xray MetLife dental refused to pay for it as it had been just 3.5 years since my last one. I had relocated and changed providers so I could not remember. I highly advise not selecting this dental insurance if you have other options. I have now changed insurance carriers and will advise all to not choose MetLife Dental.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

After wasting an hour trying to get an answer to a very simple question, I found their website doesn't contain accurate information and they do not seem to care. It is January, I had a 2 dental claims in December but they do not show up on the website. Even though it allows you to search by claim number and time periods it will ONLY display claims from 1/1/18. That sucks! Not only because you cannot get the info you need, but they make it nearly impossible to speak to a human that can help. Then you have to wait at least 20 minutes and they refer you to another number. The only thing they could tell me is that the website doesn't work correctly. Duh! I know that. Why bother? I gave up, again they suck.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

MetLife denied saying there wasn't enough decay to justify replacing the crown. I have about 16 crowns. I guess they want it decayed so bad, that you can't replace the crown. Usual insurance. Make up an excuse so they don't pay the claim. MetLife dental insurance is the worst I have ever had.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I saw my dentist in July, 2017. I needed some work on teeth that already had work on it, so my dentist recommended sending MetLife a preauthorization with X-rays to determine my exact out of pocket expenses. The preauthorization was sent to MetLife on August 1. MetLife claims it was never received. Sent a second time in September. Another call to MetLife, they said it did not receive the preauthorization or the X-rays. Sent again in October with a promise to have it reviewed within 30 days. Still no word. Phone call to MetLife following up and it has not been reviewed as of 11/27/2017.

Today the phone call to MetLife resulted in three phone calls to different numbers provided by MetLife. No one at MetLife has a clue who I should talk to. I keep getting transferred everywhere within MetLife. Today, I was advised that MetLife got my preauthorization last week and it will be another 30 days to determine what is covered. I asked for additional information and was transferred to another person who was actually a disconnected phone! I have been trying to deal with MetLife since July and getting nowhere. My dentist office is experiencing the same problem. What is going on with this company? Service from MetLife is the worst I have encountered ever from an insurance company!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Try calling them... No human, ever. Simple Question, "nope, we don't care." Tried to call today regarding a Dental question. No. 2 seconds yes/no. No. "We don't care about consumers, working for a small fruit company with a heck of a network and we chat... A LOT." Keep it up. 80,000 employees here and abroad. Let's unite and unemployed them. Hey United, you look great right now.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Met Life denies claims which are legitimate and have just been coded wrong by the dentist. My dentist files the claim with what we both thought was the correct code and it was denied again. I spent hours contesting this denial and got nowhere. I was told by a supervisor that if I were to contest the denial I would be wasting my time. Here is my beef with this company. Talking to their representatives or supervisors is a waste of time as they have NO authority to do anything but read off the computer screen what you already know. I have dealt with Met Life before when I was working and wasn't pleased with them then. They are just awful.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am a disabled veteran, Metlife was/is offering a dental insurance program on behalf of the VA (Veterans Affairs). So I signed up for a 1 year contract or commitment that gave coverage to my wife. Come to find out, the insurance covered very little, and I would've saved money if I'd have just paid everything out of pocket, but that's besides the point. I agreed to a 1 year contract, so I fulfilled my end of the agreement.

2 months later... I get a bill that states I'm 2 months late, & owe MetLife $$$$, so I called them. I had already called them 2 months ago, to acknowledge that I had fulfilled my contract, & to cancel my wife's policy, & at the beginning of every phone call, there's a recorded message that says all calls are being recorded. But they keep telling me that they have no knowledge or data on any canceled policy, which they mysteriously cannot access. But that I still owe them for another 2 months of coverage... So, I've been trying for the last 3 hours to access ChampVA, or the VA, or Metlife dental program on behalf of the VA, and there's no access point, no way to contact them, (other than by phone). I'm starting to get a little agitated over here. VETERAN's: DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: July 6, 2017

Beware - Metlife claims that you can get two dental cleanings a year but they will look back at claims they refused to pay in 2016 and use that as a starting date for why they can not pay for the two cleanings in the current year. Certainly cheaper to just pay out of pocket and skip this type of coverage. Seems like they want to create rules to not pay out on claims they they should be covering.

Original review: June 6, 2017

My husband and I are double covered. My first is Delta Dental. Love them!!! Metlife is secondary. Delta Dental paid $700. Remains balance owed is $268. Drum roll please and Metlife paid a whopping $16. Ta da! So I owe $250. What in the hell is wrong with this picture??? Piece of crap company. I'll soon be shopping for some health coverage as I'm retiring. Guess who I won't be calling. Save your money folks. Get your company to go to Delta Dental.

Original review: May 24, 2017

MetLife loses Tricare dental contract, this Reservist rejoices. Before deploying, I get a postcard informing me our family dental insurance had changed. Curious, I call MetLife. Yep, that means you were canceled for non-payment. Why? Autopay wasn't working, money didn't come out, my fault, no insurance for you. Fair enough. I pay premiums through end of MetLife contract (Hooray, and many thanks to whoever pulled the plug on them!) and head off for deployment.

What do I find on my triumphant return? A bill from MetLife for me -- not my family -- to the tune of $250 for premium payments extending back to 2015. After a quick call to United Concordia to confirm that I, a reservist on extended active duty orders, had been covered by them and NOT MetLife, I give our friends of MetLife a call. Service rep tells me I owe back premiums, I disagree, I spend some time on hold. Gosh! Looks as if that bill had been canceled, and I can just ignore it. Huh. "Were you going to send me something to let me know that I didn't have to pay that bill?" "Nah, we don't have the contract anymore, no further letters to be sent out. Good thing you didn't pay it, though", huh?

I also asked about the $100 bill for the family plan backdated premium changes. Seriously, no more info than that: you owe us some money. I pointed out that, given the other bill being entirely bogus, I needed more to go on than that. The service rep told me she'd have to look into the matter, and that she'd call me back. If I were a betting man, I'd plunk down a fiver that I'll never hear from them again. In short, if the manner in which MetLife handled billing for the Tricare dental contract holds for the company in general, avoid. Just stay away. Best case scenario, incompetent; worst case, outright fraud. I wish I knew the backstory to them losing the contract. I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone wound up in jail.

Original review: May 10, 2017

My husband has been carrying this insurance since January 1, 2017. Imagine our shock when our dentist called to state our claim was denied. Metlife apparently, after sending out ID cards, and having the monies deducted from his paychecks twice a month, is claiming he never enrolled! Multiple calls and supervisors later, the issue has still not been resolved, and we are no closer to a resolution than when this first began. No empathy, nothing but a curt "there is no coverage" has been uttered. I am half tempted to report them to the insurance board since this is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: May 5, 2017

They count your cleanings as part of your deductible and don't give you much to claim. If you get 1 crown and 2 cleaning you are done and sometimes you have to pay extra!!!

Original review: April 25, 2017

Forced to Metlife by employer. AWFUL! In metro area as large as DFW, there were NO viable dentist to choose from are "in network". In 30 years of using dental insurance, have never had virtually ZERO choices and poor claims response.

Original review: April 23, 2017

Very good dental insurance and I wholeheartedly recommend. Pricey but not so bad really; I am on a fixed income so everything seems pricey to me these days. Customer service is great. Good benefits and truly affordable monthly rates for my plan.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I've had this insurance for over 10-years. The coverage has gotten progressively worst. Sometimes they pay for services and other times not so. I may switch plans.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I am retired and had Aetna Dental Care. I am out of town and need to see a dentist. I call ADC to see if anybody is in my network, and they told me that MetLife took over my dental care 2 years ago. I have received anything from my retired company or have I received any Dental Cards with ID Numbers or could I find a freaking phone # to contact anybody to get a card, so I can see right now that this company is going to be a Big POS, and I see how they save money, they don't give any phone numbers and when they do you have to have an ID number to enter to be able to talk to someone, and I don't have a freaking card.

I just wish I could be the one that could approve or disapprove the people that work at MetLife because I would tell them that they are SOL their teeth we just fall out before I can make a determination. I get my cards sent to the house in 10-15 days, that is sad, I hope someone at MetLife gets their cookie off by ** all the people that need help with their so called Insurance.

Original review: April 15, 2017

My place of employment decided to use them. My Dentist who I confirmed are in their system, billed 100% to my credit card. After contacting my Employer, they contacted Brown and Brown who are the contact for Metlife. I have not received a response from my employer, Metlife, or the Dentist. I have a phone and email. In today's connected society how hard is it to send a text or email "we are reviewing your claim."

Original review: April 13, 2017

Metlife is such a terrible Company to deal with. They are so incompetent on every level. On hold forever, no Supervisors are ever working. They will have one call you back in 3 business days. They never want to pay for claims, my poor dentist faxed over the records they required 3 times and still no payment. Now they say they overpaid a claim from 2015 and deducted it from my claim and the dentist sent the funds back to them as a courtesy! If you can avoid them I cannot. My Company has them for the benefits. I would suggest you go somewhere else. They are the WORST!!!

Original review: March 31, 2017

My dental benefit (ha!) includes $1750.00 life benefit for orthodontal work. I paid my orthodontist, they filed the paperwork with MetLife. MetLife will now reimburse me the lifetime benefit of $1750.00 by $350.00 increments quarterly. It will take over a year for me to be reimbursed for a benefit I had to pay out of pocket. Nice way to get an interest free loan MetLife. And, as a bonus if I leave my company or end my policy or die, MetLife is off the hook. That's right, I never see my 'benefit'. Hope the fat cats of the insurance hustle choke on one of their expensive dinner pork chop bones and die an excruciating death in front of their loved ones and the loved one then never sees the fruition of their deceased's 'benefit'. Now that's anger and hate for the game and the player!

Original review: March 30, 2017

This company has the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. The representatives are rude. The information that they give out is different from service rep to service rep. I will not use MetLife for any other insurance after all the problems I have had with MetLife Dental.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I had dental insurance through my employer. Metlife Dental. We had 2 claims that we submitted for services on 1/4/17 and 1/19/17 - faxed the information to them 1/26/17. They began processing my husband's and then stopped and never started on mine until 3/1/17. Each time you would speak to a representative you get a different story. Today I spoke with Grace who told me my date of service was 1/4/16 a year prior and that both of these claims were denied. She sent me to a new Escalation supervisor named Debbie who sent another request to have this dentist name added which can take another 30 days, but I spoke with Leslie on 3/21 and Jo/Jose on 3/1 and 3/14 that both did the same thing!

How hard is to add a name. At first they said that Denver Health wasn't in their system. When I called back on 3/21 and spoke to a different representative who confirmed that Denver Health Dental Clinic was in their system and there were several doctors under that tax ID. But of course when I bring that up to Debbie I am told it can still take up to 30 days to add his name but she sent a request to expedite it to add the dentist name and get the claims processed which will still be another 10-15 days to process!!!!

What a crock of **! Then again when you ask to speak to someone other than these escalation supervisors you are told that there is no one else that can assist or speak to you. I have informed every representative that at this point I am writing a horrible review and contacting Better Business Bureau and contacting an attorney like my husband wants to. Just don't get METLIFE. IT'S HORRIBLE!!! CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!! THEY ARE NOT HERE FOR YOU!!! They are only concerned about getting their money and not sending you yours!! Any way to stall or deny!!!

Original review: March 20, 2017

Cannot say how disappointing this coverage is. Got this when I retired and lost Delta Dental. Trying to get reimbursed since December on a tooth extraction. It's now mid-March. Back on the phone where we are told it's our dentist's fault, dentist is saying it's MetLifes fault. Then we're told it's taken care of (happened 3 times) then in a week we get a letter declining reimbursement. Good Luck.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I have regular dental checkups, one every six months. Metlife wouldn't cover the last two because of a wording technicality in their contract. Metlife is the worst insurance company I've ever seen!! Poor customer service and rigidly stingy. You can do better, much better.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I was able to get a better dental plan from my new employer so I called in August to cancel Metlife Dental. I asked for a confirmation number and they said they don't give confirmation numbers. Seemed odd to me that a business wouldn't give a confirmation number but I expected at least an email for confirmation but I received no follow-up. They said I'd still have to pay the next month's fees and I figured that was standard so I said alright and went on with my day.

Fast forward 7 months and my wife was reviewing our finances and realized we were still being charged monthly for Metlife Dental. I called again and was told that there was no record of my previous call. I asked that they look into it so I can get reimbursed for the money I've been paying and said again to please process cancellation of my service effective immediately. They said they would and to call back in 15 business days to follow up on the investigation of my previous call.

Today is the day I called back. Unsurprisingly I was informed that they had no record of my call from August. I said fine, but wanted to verify that they had cancelled my service on the previous call. The rep informed me that they had not cancelled my service on the previous call but he would cancel it now. I again asked for a confirmation number and was told that they do not give confirmation numbers. I have not received any confirmation that my service is being cancelled and have a feeling that I will be calling again next month when I get charged. This is ridiculous and needs to stop. They are fraudulently charging people that want to have their service cancelled.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

This company is THE WORST!! I want my Delta Dental insurance back.:( These guys won't cover ANY PORTION of my dental implant, even though it is clearly stated in my benefits that they are covered. They are trying to say that they won't cover it because my tooth was congenitally missing, and that they need a record of an extraction. Ummm HELLO!!! I was born without the tooth!? How would anyone have a record of it being extracted!? These people will ** their way out of paying for anything. THE WORST!! They also will give you the run around over the phone (and email) and give you a lot of conflicting answers from person to person. I will be dropping this insurance like a hot potato.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I have been fighting with MetLife since 2012 for a small amount which has never been paid till date for my son's 1st phase of treatment. Now MetLife wants me to pay $900 more for the 2nd phase when initially they agreed to pay all charges.

Metlife Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.

• Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.

• TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.

• FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.

• Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.

• Best for: Any individual or family working for a large or midsize public or private employer with a group dental plan insured through MetLife.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Metlife Dental Insurance Company Information

www.metlife.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use