Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
1.32/5

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

104 Metlife Dental Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

Been trying to cancel since their coverage isn’t worth it. Filled out the form and still got charged. These people just can’t be bothered to answer calls or emails. They then referred me to their partner group America Association of Business. Also can’t be bothered to return calls or emails. Avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Bottomline, if you read or hear about Metlife Dental Coverage, turn 180 degrees and don't walk, run the other way before you get sucked into their web of slight truths unless you're a stockholder of course. I will not make you sit and read through another story about how this company cheats their way out of taking care of the customer. Just be warned, they are NOT a trustworthy company and I definitely would not waste your time, effort and money on this place. They have no morals and blame their lack of fulfilling any obligations to the fact that the government wrote the contract that way, it is not their fault!

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I have been contacting Metlife since March of 2017. I sent them a check for a over-payment of my services from October 2016 and was unaware I was not supposed to pay them but my dentist was. I have yet to receive my money and keep being told that the check is coming, the check is coming and here it is almost 3 years later I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED. Your customer service is horrible, no one there follows up like they say they will, but yet if the shoe was on the other the foot and I OWED YOU MONEY you would be harassing me for the money. You should have the same priority when it comes to paying customers their money back.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My dental coverage with Met Life was good but it was paid for by my employer. The coverage was discontinued in Dec. 2018 and I could not afford to pay for Met Life on my own. Good benefits but very high costs.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Zero stars, zero coverage. They cover nothing, their technology is decades behind, their website is always down, and all the customer service people do is say, "Yes, I know". I think their insurance is nothing but a money maker for their investments. I can't wait for open enrollment to get real insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

Original review: May 20, 2019

I got this insurance through the Veterans Affairs dental program and I have been paying 66$ a month for the higher coverage plan. They are supposed to cover 50% of my major and it's a LIE!!! LIES LIES LIES LIES! They only covered 35% because the tooth I got a root canal on was a molar and other people couldn't see it so it doesn't matter. Please tell me what logic is that. Why is a tooth in the back of my mouth any less important than a tooth in the front of my mouth! I wish I could cuss in this review because the words spewing from my mouth would show just how fed up I am with this. I have been paying 66$ a MONTH! And they aren't covering bull. They straight up LIE to you! DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING THROUGH THEM!!!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Several years ago our daughter had braces. MetLife paid the orthodontist too much. For years they've been working to get the $1,250 back from the doctor. We've gotten a couple letters through the years that say, "This notice is for your information only." It should be an issue between MetLife and the orthodontist. Today I get a call from my dentist saying that MetLife is denying my most recent dental cleaning because they aren't getting their money back from another provider. Not only are they making me pay out of pocket for service that is 100% covered under the policy we've been paying for since 2010, but they are also punishing my dentist for something another office is doing. Call MetLife, they admitted they paid out the wrong amount, but as the policyholder, I am on the hook to pay them back. They will do that by holding the insurance we pay for hostage until they get money back from THEIR mistake. Cannot wait for the end of the year to switch coverage.

Original review: April 29, 2019

This company did not pay one dime towards a bill for over $600 on four sealants and a specialized xray that my daughter needed for problems with her canine teeth. Ridiculous to pay the amount we have to pay for insurance and then say none of these services are covered. I would not recommend Metlife Dental coverage at all.

Original review: April 24, 2019

After reading all those complaints, has anyone done anything legally to hold them accountable? Same thing, had work done twice, Dentist sent forms, didn't get paid. He & I sent them again. ML claims they did not receive the claims and by the way the insurance you've been paying you don't have an account since 2016. I asked where's my money & acct? Who's sending me statements? I got my insurance through my job. A Surgical facility, so if they can cheat medical staff, they can & have cheated others. I have proof from 2 banks, Metlife received 7 checks from me, cashed them and said my acct is no longer there. The banks have also done a search on each check and I'm forwarding this to Metlife. I also wrote to the CEO of this department, don't really expect to hear from him, he's been discharged from his job.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Dentist said I need several crowns due to large fillings putting pressure on tooth structure and nerve. Probably will have to have root canal if I don't have the excessive loss of tooth structure replaced with crowns. Metlife will not cover so glad I dentist to send in x-rays and medical justification, but they denied. IBM should not use Metlife for their insurance options to retirees and eligible dependents since it is a waste of money.

Metlife Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.

• Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.

• TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.

• FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.

• Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.

• Best for: Any individual or family working for a large or midsize public or private employer with a group dental plan insured through MetLife.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Metlife Dental Insurance Company Information