Metlife Dental Insurance

Compare Dental Insurance

Research top Dental Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been fighting with MetLife since 2012 for a small amount which has never been paid till date for my son's 1st phase of treatment. Now MetLife wants me to pay $900 more for the 2nd phase when initially they agreed to pay all charges.

I recently paid out of pocket an out of network periodontist for 2 visits. The office staff submitted my claims for reimbursement. I checked on the claim 30 days later to find neither had been paid. I called Metlife, (which was not easy, as it is almost impossible to reach a real person or one that speaks English). I was told by a representative that they needed charting before they would pay. I called the dental office to ask that they send the charting. They sent it that day. Neither the dental office nor I had been notified by Metlife the claim had been denied, it was just luck that I checked on it.

Now over 30 days later I am still waiting on my checks to reimburse me. I was told that Metlife could not reissue for lost checks until they were outstanding at least 30 days. I am certain the checks have not been mailed. What is the chance the USPS could lose both checks? The checks were supposedly mailed October 25th, and today November 12th I am still waiting.

I never had any serious problems while I carried this policy. I was always treated in a courteous manner. My questions were always answered in a quick manner in which I easily understood. I found the claims process very simply to use and was happy with the way in which my claims were handled. So I was satisfied and stress-free anytime I had to get involved personally in this process. As far as I was concerned the value I received made me feel as though I was getting the return I expected for any and all situations. So for me it was a good experience. The network options that I personally had to deal with to me was an easy process to follow so I always had a positive experience when ever I had to get involved with these.

I used the coverage for free cleanings and also used them twice for extractions. The staff at the dental office took care of everything. There was never an issue with claims processing as far as I know. I only ever paid my copay at the time of service. The staff at the dental office never approached me for any reason so I can only assume the speed was okey. It was addon to my existing health insurance through my employer. The value was great. My premium was less than &15 and I had some dental work done at the time. I know that my preferred dentist was in the network and I had no other issues related to network coverage.

They were very nice and willing to answer any questions I had. I was nervous but after felt more educated and more confident. I appreciated that I could talk to a real person. I think that it is very valuable and that it was worth the price. I don't know all that much about network options because I haven't experienced all that many different network options.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

They are very helpful with issues. Had MetLife dental insurance. They are a very good company, pay for a lot of services. Very happy with this company. Process claims in a timely manner, never have to pay out of pocket expenses, would recommend, never had any issues. Good premium and not a lot of out of pocket expenses paid for a lot of dental and all preventive services, x-ray, cleaning and various others. Had no trouble finding a dentist in network. Love this insurance. Would recommend to anyone if they need a good dental insurance, not a lot of expenses.

The customer service was so so, not horrible, but not outstanding. I feel it could have been better, but at the same time the people trying to help me were actually caring about me as a person. The claims processing time was a bit slow, but the outcome of the service I was given completely made up for it and I am happy I chose this company over others. The value was pretty good, not too costly, but a little more on the costly side. At the end of the day the service was really nicely explained to me and I am very happy with the outcome. The network options were pretty varied with a lot of interesting choices. I actually had a hard time choosing, but that isn't a bad thing. I am satisfied with the options I had and can't ask for more.

Easy to submit claims and to understand the coverage. Customer service was easy to reach and very courteous and helpful in explaining coverage amounts and procedures. Claims were handled in a fast, efficient manner and never delayed, and all claims were processed within the estimated time window. No claims were missing or delayed in any way. The value is great for regular checkups and cleaning and often require no additional payments. Payments for additional work such as crowns and fillings help offset to the total cost of the procedures. The network includes many local doctors and specialists that can provide service for all required dental procedures and the in-network benefits are worth the cost of the insurance.

My claims were handled well. Interactions over the phone were pleasant and professional. It wasn't stellar but it wasn't bad either. I ultimately didn't stay with them. The claim time was about one week, which was about average I suppose. I know that it takes time for things to process, but I feel that there could be some possible improvement to speed things up. I was able to reach my deductible relatively quickly, co-pays were reasonable and I was able to work within the network. It didn't cost me as much out of pocket as I expected. The network was very wide and I had many choices. My usual people were in network which made continuing to see my usual people possible.

They told me that the only thing that I could do was to file a formal complaint and include proof of pre-approval and request a review from their review board. It was very long. It took over two months for the initial response to the claim. And, it took slightly more than three months to get the results of the review board. The premium were relatively high. They were taken out of my pay automatically every two weeks. But, considering that they never paid for any claim, (even small ones) the value didn't even come close to the cost. The network provider options were very poor. When I signed up there were several dentists in my area. But, when I first went to use it none of them were in network. The closest in network provider was over 50 miles away, and it took over two hours to get to them.

Great customer service and very affordable plans. I was able to use it with my medical insurance which saved me even more money. Everything easily available online. Easy to add new spouse and new family members! I'm very satisfied with their service. Very satisfied with the processing time. Shortly after visit we would receive in the mail a letter stating everything that was covered for our visits. It made our visits pain free and worry free because we knew everything was covered. Very satisfied with the value of this insurance. They always kept their word and they absolutely value their customers and bend over backwards to help in assisting with their customer's complaints. Extremely happy with network options. All information is readily available online. The plans are very detailed explaining all that is covered and the cost for single or family. Many plans to choose from that fit you and your family.

Expert Review

Cyril TuohyInsurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.    More about Cyril→

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.
  • Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.
  • TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.
  • FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.
  • Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.
  • Best for Any individual or family working for a large or midsize public or private employer with a group dental plan insured through MetLife.

Compare Dental Insurance