3.7/5 (1283 ratings)

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Metlife Dental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

Contacted MetLife dental to see if a service was covered and I was told yes, provided specific instructions to submit a claim and received an emailed form. Rejected twice. A customer advocate got involved after the 1st submission. Found out he knew all along the outcome and shared when an appeal was submitted. Not only did customer service give me the incorrect information but the advocate withheld information that could have saved me time. Along the way found out their recorded disclosure is to cover customer service in case they make errors. Would avoid!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

I had a serious infection in a tooth that caused bone loss. The tooth was extracted and because of the infection a bone graft was necessary and biological material was needed for the graft. Met Life could not tell me what was to be covered until the procedure was done. I go to the dentist every 6 months and the dentist missed the infection that the periodontist said it was going on for some time. I asked Met Life to send me exact terminology of what is covered and what is not in my policy. A supervisor said the policy does not go into details and you only find out what is covered when you actually have a procedure done. This is not the type of insurance I thought I was getting. I would not recommend this company to anyone and in my opinion no one should buy this insurance!

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Dealing with their customer service is an absolute nightmare. I had to call several times about a simple problem of not having received an enrollment package and a month later I'm still at the same point. It's very difficult to get a hold of a representative, and when you do, they promise to help you and then nothing happens. Incredibly frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

The Metlife claim process is a nightmare. I would give them zero stars if I could. I went to the dentist 6 months ago now. My dentist submitted a claim to MetLife and they say they didn't receive it. I mailed it to them again, and again they say they didn't receive it. I then faxed it to them (as they say they won't accept email if you can believe it) and they say they still haven't received it. I've called them and they won't help. Use any other dental insurance company as MetLife just wants to take your money and then must be disposing of claim forms or something.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

When anyone signs up with MetLife dental, even at the most premium level, he/she will be showing something like “In-Network based on the Maximum Allowed Charge” or “Out-of - Network based on the Maximum Allowed Charges” are 100%, 80% or 50% covered. However, how much is the “Maximum Allowed Charge” information is shielded away from the contract signing person. After you notice the mission information and specifically ask for it, they will tell you it is case by case decided for a specific dentist at a specific procedure pre-estimate occurs after you sign-up with them. Therefore, the customers are asked to sign a contract without knowing how much MetLife will pay, how much the customer will pay. Here, the 100%, 80%, 50% coverage and year round $2000 maximum do not mean anything. Since MetLife could have a $10 dollar “Maximum Allowed Charge” limitation and you will never get to $2000 reimbursement.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

Have been waiting almost 8 weeks for a pre-auth to remove and replace a badly infected front tooth. Calling goes to foreign country where agents are of no help. I pay monthly for this crap! Won't renew.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I have dental insurance through MetLife federal plan. My experience is similar to that posted by "Robert of Aurora, CO" on 18 Feb 22. We had to sign up for the insurance in Nov 2021; and did so based on the information that MetLife provided at the time. My first appointment after Nov 21 was July 22 because I was ill and had to cancel my scheduled appointment. By necessity, I have to go to an out-of-network dentist. While the MetLife information I received when I signed up for 2022 indicated that my benefits would be the same as for 2021, when I received my reimbursement, MetLife had significantly reduced the amount of the reimbursement. I appealed and asked for an explanation. One month later, I was notified that my appeal was denied without any explanation and I could submit a second appeal.

I have appealed a second time and asked MetLife to explain why they still indicate that they will reimburse 90% but are actually reimbursing 90% of whatever number they decide is MetLife's "Allowance". This is fraud; and millions of federal employees and retired federal employees are being cheated. The company didn't have to pay hardly anything during COVID; and now they want to cheat us by lying to get us to sign up and then reducing our actual benefits. I have paid much more in premiums than they have paid in services. Federal employees should report this to OPM so that in Nov 2022 employees are aware of the fraud that they face if they go with this company.

Original review: July 11, 2022

MetLife does not cover nitrous oxide for oral surgery, not even for a young child. What do they expect me to do, hold my child down so they do not move during delicate, and painful, oral surgery. I thought this might be an oversight, so I called. I was told I had to appeal in writing on paper. There was no email option. The only reason I can think of why MetLife is still in the 1970s is to make it as difficult as possible on its customers. I appealed twice and both times received an insultingly condescending letter that never explained why they thought it was wise to have a child endure oral surgery with nitrous oxide. And each time helpfully sent yet another copy of their original decision as if I wasn't aware. This is a very expensive insurance, and not worth the limited coverage it offers.

Original review: July 3, 2022

ALL DENTIST IN OUR AREA HAVE PULLED OUT SAYING METLIFE IS CHEAP AND NOT PAYING. WE ARE DRIVING OVER AN HOUR away with 3 months waiting list. Frustrating when one needs help with pain or having a tooth pulled. Metlife was good for years.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Worst dental insurance. They cover part of a deep cleaning procedure, while denying antibiotic, which is the whole point of doing the deep cleaning, because it goes inside the pocket. They would cover only if pockets 6-8 inches deep, gums bleeding, and this is full blown periodontal disease. Have to pay $120 for antibiotic, thank God it was only two teeth that were treated.

Metlife Dental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.

• Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.

• TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.

• FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.

• Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Metlife Dental Insurance Company Information