3.7/5 (1160 ratings)

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Metlife Dental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

When anyone signs up with MetLife dental, even at the most premium level, he/she will be showing something like “In-Network based on the Maximum Allowed Charge” or “Out-of - Network based on the Maximum Allowed Charges” are 100%, 80% or 50% covered. However, how much is the “Maximum Allowed Charge” information is shielded away from the contract signing person. After you notice the mission information and specifically ask for it, they will tell you it is case by case decided for a specific dentist at a specific procedure pre-estimate occurs after you sign-up with them. Therefore, the customers are asked to sign a contract without knowing how much MetLife will pay, how much the customer will pay. Here, the 100%, 80%, 50% coverage and year round $2000 maximum do not mean anything. Since MetLife could have a $10 dollar “Maximum Allowed Charge” limitation and you will never get to $2000 reimbursement.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

Have been waiting almost 8 weeks for a pre-auth to remove and replace a badly infected front tooth. Calling goes to foreign country where agents are of no help. I pay monthly for this crap! Won't renew.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I have dental insurance through MetLife federal plan. My experience is similar to that posted by "Robert of Aurora, CO" on 18 Feb 22. We had to sign up for the insurance in Nov 2021; and did so based on the information that MetLife provided at the time. My first appointment after Nov 21 was July 22 because I was ill and had to cancel my scheduled appointment. By necessity, I have to go to an out-of-network dentist. While the MetLife information I received when I signed up for 2022 indicated that my benefits would be the same as for 2021, when I received my reimbursement, MetLife had significantly reduced the amount of the reimbursement. I appealed and asked for an explanation. One month later, I was notified that my appeal was denied without any explanation and I could submit a second appeal.

I have appealed a second time and asked MetLife to explain why they still indicate that they will reimburse 90% but are actually reimbursing 90% of whatever number they decide is MetLife's "Allowance". This is fraud; and millions of federal employees and retired federal employees are being cheated. The company didn't have to pay hardly anything during COVID; and now they want to cheat us by lying to get us to sign up and then reducing our actual benefits. I have paid much more in premiums than they have paid in services. Federal employees should report this to OPM so that in Nov 2022 employees are aware of the fraud that they face if they go with this company.

Original review: July 11, 2022

MetLife does not cover nitrous oxide for oral surgery, not even for a young child. What do they expect me to do, hold my child down so they do not move during delicate, and painful, oral surgery. I thought this might be an oversight, so I called. I was told I had to appeal in writing on paper. There was no email option. The only reason I can think of why MetLife is still in the 1970s is to make it as difficult as possible on its customers. I appealed twice and both times received an insultingly condescending letter that never explained why they thought it was wise to have a child endure oral surgery with nitrous oxide. And each time helpfully sent yet another copy of their original decision as if I wasn't aware. This is a very expensive insurance, and not worth the limited coverage it offers.

Original review: July 3, 2022

ALL DENTIST IN OUR AREA HAVE PULLED OUT SAYING METLIFE IS CHEAP AND NOT PAYING. WE ARE DRIVING OVER AN HOUR away with 3 months waiting list. Frustrating when one needs help with pain or having a tooth pulled. Metlife was good for years.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Worst dental insurance. They cover part of a deep cleaning procedure, while denying antibiotic, which is the whole point of doing the deep cleaning, because it goes inside the pocket. They would cover only if pockets 6-8 inches deep, gums bleeding, and this is full blown periodontal disease. Have to pay $120 for antibiotic, thank God it was only two teeth that were treated.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

About a month ago I was researching dental plans and after repeated calls (like for hours) I finally managed to get some allowed fee caps that I needed to make a decision. Today I called Metlife to confirm the information I previously received from one of their supervisors, yet no one will confirm that the information that was given me is accurate. They just say "We don't have that information". This is a lie - because somehow - after many tries - I got someone to actually give me the important details about their plan - a month ago. They want you to sign up FIRST and then when you have a claim they will tell you their allowed fee caps. Which will be whatever they feel like. Good luck with that.

They say they pay 50% to 80% of the allowed fee caps, but they refuse to tell you what the allowed fee caps are. I have never gotten such an runaround. This is 100% intentional on their part. They ask for your SS# immediately - which I do not give out to strangers, they forward you to an off shore representative who is useless, and then they refuse to transfer you back to someone in the US. They say that the Claims Department can give out fee caps for procedures - yet the Claims Department won't do it until you have a claim. Horrible customer service and a horrible, horrible, horrible corporate structure.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Worst insurance ever. If you want a lot of anguish and stress get this insurance. When you speak to the reps you have to keep repeating yourself. They are gonna give me a heart attack with all of this issue of my child being over 7 and not being able to seen by pediatric dentist. He is 10 for Christ sake still a child.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

MetLife made a change to their High PPO dental plan as of 1-Jan-22. The change placed a ceiling-cap on the coverage for out-of-network dental care. Prior, the member paid 10% of the bill for Class A (preventative and diagnostic care) treatment. Now, the member pays 10% with an unknown cap that is discussed between the dental provider and MetLife only -- the member is left out of the loop. My wife and I both went to an out-of-network provider with the understanding we would pay only 10% of the bill with our $50 deductible. The bill came to ~$900 for the two of us. With a $50 deductible and 10% we would have paid $140.

Not knowing about the 1-Jan-22 change, because we signed up for our plan back in Nov-2021 without any change-notification from MetLife, we received a bill from our provider for ~$700. MetLife only agreed to pay $310 for the two of us to our provider under their High PPO Plan. Does anyone know of a provider that would accept only $310 for two full-service cleanings and x-rays in the U.S. -- Maybe in a 3rd-world country. :( The only retort I received from MetLife is I should only go to an in-network provider. So much for having faith in their 10% coverage. Now, I have to go through the pain of changing our insurance provider, and wonder how many more people are getting the shaft for this underhanded billing practice. Good riddance MetLife!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

They will only accept claims by fax. I sent in a request for a presurgery estimate 3x in one month- they lost it each time. Finally, the surgery had to happen so my phone calls were about the claim and reimbursement.. About 20 phone calls happened, and 3 months later, they are still finding ways to delay. Also, they demand the full social security number of member & claimant every time you call- DOB too- this is a security risk. The customer service people are mostly incompetent, every once in a while you get a sympathetic soul who tries to help. i am getting a long email ready to the HR dept so they can drop METLIFE.

Metlife Dental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.

• Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.

• TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.

• FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.

• Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Metlife Dental Insurance Company Information