3.6/5 (984 ratings)

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Metlife Dental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I love the affordable rate plan as well as the coverage of procedures under this affordable plan. Also I like the fact that there are a wide range of dental practitioners on my area that accept my plan and I am able to choose one that suit my needs.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I have this Dental insurance through my job. This insurance has been great at being very timely with making payments to the Dentist firm that I use. From the beginning until now, I have never had a problem with this insurance. I use payroll deduction to insure their payment, which has made a great union. Way to go Met Life.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Really easy to work with them, they cover a lot more than other insurances, billing is super easy, any time we had questions they were there for me, a lot of dental offices take their insurance, copayment are really low compared to others, monthly cost for the insurance is super affordable for the whole family, I love that they cover check ups and cleanings at no cost to us, I would definitely recommend them to family and friends.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

In my experience with MetLife Dental they have always provided good customer service and accurate information. They have guided me through asking the good questions of future providers and once I selected a provider I was able to ask the right questions. The amount I have been responsible for has always been correct. I wasn't surprised to learn there were any hidden charges. I saw a specialized dentist and was surprised they covered some of the services.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

About a month ago I was researching dental plans and after repeated calls (like for hours) I finally managed to get some allowed fee caps that I needed to make a decision. Today I called Metlife to confirm the information I previously received from one of their supervisors, yet no one will confirm that the information that was given me is accurate. They just say "We don't have that information". This is a lie - because somehow - after many tries - I got someone to actually give me the important details about their plan - a month ago. They want you to sign up FIRST and then when you have a claim they will tell you their allowed fee caps. Which will be whatever they feel like. Good luck with that.

They say they pay 50% to 80% of the allowed fee caps, but they refuse to tell you what the allowed fee caps are. I have never gotten such an runaround. This is 100% intentional on their part. They ask for your SS# immediately - which I do not give out to strangers, they forward you to an off shore representative who is useless, and then they refuse to transfer you back to someone in the US. They say that the Claims Department can give out fee caps for procedures - yet the Claims Department won't do it until you have a claim. Horrible customer service and a horrible, horrible, horrible corporate structure.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Worst insurance ever. If you want a lot of anguish and stress get this insurance. When you speak to the reps you have to keep repeating yourself. They are gonna give me a heart attack with all of this issue of my child being over 7 and not being able to seen by pediatric dentist. He is 10 for Christ sake still a child.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

MetLife made a change to their High PPO dental plan as of 1-Jan-22. The change placed a ceiling-cap on the coverage for out-of-network dental care. Prior, the member paid 10% of the bill for Class A (preventative and diagnostic care) treatment. Now, the member pays 10% with an unknown cap that is discussed between the dental provider and MetLife only -- the member is left out of the loop. My wife and I both went to an out-of-network provider with the understanding we would pay only 10% of the bill with our $50 deductible. The bill came to ~$900 for the two of us. With a $50 deductible and 10% we would have paid $140.

Not knowing about the 1-Jan-22 change, because we signed up for our plan back in Nov-2021 without any change-notification from MetLife, we received a bill from our provider for ~$700. MetLife only agreed to pay $310 for the two of us to our provider under their High PPO Plan. Does anyone know of a provider that would accept only $310 for two full-service cleanings and x-rays in the U.S. -- Maybe in a 3rd-world country. :( The only retort I received from MetLife is I should only go to an in-network provider. So much for having faith in their 10% coverage. Now, I have to go through the pain of changing our insurance provider, and wonder how many more people are getting the shaft for this underhanded billing practice. Good riddance MetLife!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

They will only accept claims by fax. I sent in a request for a presurgery estimate 3x in one month- they lost it each time. Finally, the surgery had to happen so my phone calls were about the claim and reimbursement.. About 20 phone calls happened, and 3 months later, they are still finding ways to delay. Also, they demand the full social security number of member & claimant every time you call- DOB too- this is a security risk. The customer service people are mostly incompetent, every once in a while you get a sympathetic soul who tries to help. i am getting a long email ready to the HR dept so they can drop METLIFE.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I just started a new job, and the company I work for now is SO unprofessional. They didn't send my information to the dental insurance company and I have an emergency, and I have no insurance to cover it, even though I am registered with MetLife Dental, I can't get into the website because it says I have to call their customer service for some stupid reason.

I called MetLife Dental Insurance customer service, and got some clown that spoke English (barely) but didn't understand ANYTHING I was saying! She kept asking me to login to this and do that on the website and REFUSED to wait for the site to respond to what I did, and she's yelling at me "HELLO??? ARE YOU THERE??" I kept telling her I was waiting for the site to respond...but everytime she told me to do something on the site, she REFUSED to wait for the site to respond and she's yelling at me again "HELLO??? ARE YOU THERE"???

She REFUSED to listen to ANYTHING I was saying, or she didn't understand, or she just didn't care! I told her I would deal with this later and hung up. She was severely enraging me to no end!!! Now I have to suffer in pain through a weekend until Monday when I can call them back and yell at THEM! I WILL be filing a formal complaint on this as well.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

I submitted a claim for reimbursement on 11 August 2021. I received response on 22Oct2021 requesting more information that was not requested on the 1st form. I completed the second questionnaire and mailed it on 23Oct2021. I received a 2nd response on 10Nov2021 that more information was needed. I called and spoke to several personnel at MetLife Dental (Joe & Katherine) who were particularly unhelpful. I finally spoke with Justin in El Salvador and he said he would reprocess the claim as they did not look at the information I provided in the 2nd response. I was told this would take 10-15 business days to process.

I have heard nothing so on 17Dec2021 I called again. I spoke with Gerard and he said nothing had been done and he would reprocess again I was told this would take 10-15 business days to process. This bill is for $390 dental work that should be covered. This is taking way too long and seems to be a tactic of attrition. Choose another dental insurance company if you have the option. I will follow up with another review in 10-15 business days. :)

Metlife Dental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.

• Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.

• TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.

• FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.

• Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Metlife Dental Insurance Company Information