Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.25/5

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Metlife Dental Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 29, 2020

I recently had to have a crown. The policy supposedly pays 50%. However, when I got the claim benefit notice, they only allowed $700 out of $1200. Then they took 50% of the 700 less a 25 deductible. They had a note about not paying for certain types of crowns on molars. So I called and found out they only pay full for metal crowns on molars! I couldn't believe it. Also, that is not stated in the policy. I had Metlife under an employer and had no problems. But now that I'm on an individual policy, it's a whole other ballgame. I have never heard of limiting the type of material you can get for a crown based on where it is placed. This is totally ridiculous and I will begin looking for something better.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Metlife Dental will do everything in their power to make sure your claim is not covered. Would not recommend to my worst enemy. Submitted claims to them multiple times and each time they presented some legalese about why it's not covered under their policy.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

This is the worst insurance company for reimbursement. I had services done 12/27/2019 and I have 2 different dental insurance plans. Today is May 19, 2020 and I have still not been reimbursed for charges that were put on my credit card in the amount of $1410.40. I have called the claims department every Monday for the past 5 months. I get a different person every time and the call center is in Central America! They promised to call me back every time I speak to a representative and they don't. They will leave you on hold for hours. Because they have not paid I have had to pay interest on the charges on my credit card this entire time. They lie and are the most awful insurance company that I have ever had in my life and I am 61 years old. I would never recommend this insurance to anyone. They take your premiums and they don't reimburse the charges.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I moved in 11/19 to a different state where Met Dental does not have coverage so I cancelled and joined a different Company. MET LIFE is STILL making AWD from checking account AFTER I CANCELLED! They have withdrawed $220.00.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I have had MetLife dental FEDVIP for almost 13 years. It has always been somewhat of a hassle having to resubmit claims and fight for coverage. But the last 2 years have been HORRIBLE! I live in a rural area and used to be what they consider an "underserviced" area. Without notifying me they increased the mile radius so the dentist my family and I had been going to the entire time was no longer covered.

I received bill after bill and they denied appeal after appeal until I finally paid. I have spent the last 2 years searching for a dentist they consider in network or participating. I printed a list of 298 dentist from their (MetLife's) website of covered dentists in their new cover radius. I called every single one. Not one accepted my insurance. I spent hours, I'm talking days, doing research to find a dentist based on information provided from their website. I spent countless hours on the phone with them trying to resolve this. I was promised a phone call from a supervisor which I never received and they are apparently never available every time I call.

Until today. And the supervisor I spoke to was very rude and inconsiderate telling me the same information over and over. I am only requesting that someone look into the system as I believe there to be an error. He refused telling me I have made a mistake. How can I have called 298 dentist provided by them and not one participates be my mistake? I am left with no choice but to cancel this insurance. I wish there was more I could do to get someone to look into the matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I received confirmation of coverage for dental work, then they denied the claim. They are trying to make up excuses not to pay and putting me through the ringer, terrible, terrible, terrible. Most insurance companies do this to a degree, but MetLife FLAT OUT LIED! Should be a law against this sort of brutality.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Delay simple covered procedures by claiming insufficient information or nonsense excuses such as they first need to determine whether they believe the restoration or necessary work is "warranted" as in they do not want to pay for anything. Repeatedly promised to pay for covered procedures only to deny the claims after the work was done. Waste your time and the dentists time with going back and forth. Website is obstructive as the agents and the claims denials are extremely late in coming delaying the next steps. It is bad faith, and fraud and this company should be fined, and put out of business, and forced to make restitution to their victims. Stay away from this company!!!! Next step is a complaint to the insurance commissioner and everywhere else I can file one. I have never had this type of obstruction, abuse and fraud in submitting simple covered dental claims.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I wish I could give this company zero stars. The worst ever. And worst part is, I'm stuck with this crappy, useless insurance until "open season" opens again in November. Once November rolls around, I'm going to go without dental insurance at all and pay out of pocket for a couple annual cleanings, because this is such a scam. This endless nightmare of never getting claims answered (30 days to review a claim!!!), and then getting constantly denied for things that should be covered is totally not worth the $60 A MONTH (yes, $60, and that doesn't count employer contributions) that I pay for supposed "high" self coverage. I can't wait to get rid of them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

This is the worst dental insurance company around. They deny claims constantly. By continuing to ask for additional information from the dentist or the client. I am constantly on the phone with my dentist and/or MetLife trying to get them to pay the claims that I am entitled to. My next step is to contact the Attorney General's office to report them. Do not choose them as your dental insurance provider if you have other options.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

This insurance company is HORRIBLE!! I would give a negative star rating if I could. I have been going around and around with this company since June of 2019 to have the claim for my daughter's orthodontic care paid. They continue to tell me they do not have all the information they need to process the claim, when the orthodontist calls they say they have everything they need. They deny my claim requesting more information that has been given to them multiple times by fax and mail. Everyone I talk to at MetLife has a different reason for denying the claim and say. I am beyond frustrated with them, do not use this insurance company. The level of disorganization is amazing!!

Metlife Dental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.

• Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.

• TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.

• FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.

• Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Metlife Dental Insurance Company Information