1.38/5

Looking for a dental plan?

79 Metlife Dental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

After hours of my dentist talking with 2 CSR back on 4/13/17 going over ALL MY PROCEDURES IN "ENGLISH" what would be covered & not. Now over a year later, Oh BOTH CSR gave us the SAME wrong information. Yah, we took your money for years but TOO BAD TOO SAD!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We chose Metlife Dental Coverage (I do not call it Insurance) since she needed more than just preventive dental work. We have been paying monthly premiums for 18 months now. Her preventive checkup was covered. Her other dental work (that required a 12 month grace period to be covered) is turning into a giant project just to try and get her claims noticed. Although the claim info have been sent in multiple times, each time we call in to check on progress we get a new person, who tells us a different fax number to send the claim info to. I do not recommend Metlife as a Dental Prepayment Plan. I think it is a scam.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2018

My husband retired over 25 years ago. Shortly after his retirement, I contacted Metlife to find out if his dental coverage would continue through retirement. I was told that coverage ended when he left his job. Never heard another word from Metlife. Last year we received enrollment cards with a letter saying some new thing was being started and here are our cards. I called Metlife and was told that we have had coverage all along and it was too bad that we didn't know it. I was told "No one would tell you that you didn't have coverage."

After going back and forth, I was told that only the last 15 months of bills would be considered and that no exceptions could be made. The next time I called to check on progress of the few bills that were submitted, I was told there was no record of our coverage... which couldn't happen of course. Called back, this time insisting that we had coverage, the person finally found us. Each time, I gave all of the numbers on our enrollment cards. We are on a fixed income and my husband had a total of about $7000 of dental work done in the last 3 or 4 years. Would have been great to know we had insurance.

It is obvious that we didn't know that we had coverage. Over the years we have had numerous large expenses for dental work. It would have been great to get even a small portion paid. Since discovering out situation, I would think that Metlife would at least extend the qualifying period. Doesn't seem that's possible. What a great way to MAKE money off the patients - Just deny they have coverage.

Original review: June 30, 2018

They don't seem to pay too much toward any type of Dental work... to me that just doesn't warrant even having dental insurance and paying a monthly premium if they don't hardly pay for anything. I could just save the monthly premium and just pay the dentist myself. I've had Metlife Dental for 3.5 years, and this year is the first time I've used the insurance for dental work I needed... this is includes cleaning, xray, 3 fillings, and a partial. Out of my total bills from the Dentist for everything I think Metlife paid about 20%. That is not acceptable at all. I feel completely ripped off. Needless to say, I'll be canceling my dental insurance with Metlife.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I have been in a very high depressed time with MetLife Customer Service. Every time I call them is always different person or agent and they provide a very unprofessional information and help. I have a problem with a dentist who reported a job he never did. MetLife sent me a letter to fill it out. I spent lot of time and effort but I finally did it. Months after they said they have not get anything from me and I have to do all over again. Also they accused me to sign some paper agreeing the bad dentist did a good job, I told me that is a LIE.

They promised they were going to fix that problem, but they do the opposite, they always say they understand my stressful situation and they feel sorry for that. But that's it. I feel this humiliated and also bullied. All dental insurance are like MetLife? I hope I can find another one which really do their job and do not cheat customers. Yes, I am very angry and disappointed with this horrible MetLife.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

Original review: April 17, 2018

The only reason I went with MetLife in the first place was because it was offered through an employee plan. What a disaster it's been ever since. MetLife is one of the most fraudulent insurance companies I've ever had the displeasure of having to deal with. They constantly found every loophole in the book to deny every large claim I ever made. When I tried to get implants, they denied my claim because they said the extractions had not been done while I was a MetLife customers. It was a lie. Then I was forced to have to prove the extractions were done by the previous dentist who only promised they would provide proof that the extractions were done under MetLife coverage. But they lied too, and I never was given the proof I needed to get MetLife to pay for the work I had done.

When I informed MetLife what the dentist was doing and that they had ignored letters from my attorney to provide proof of services rendered, I reported the problem to MetLife who said they'd look into the matter. Did they do anything to fix the problem? Afraid NOT! Even the Better Business Bureau and the California Dental Board failed to help after a year and a half. Bottom line: MetLife, the BBB, the Dental Board, and the dentists all turned out to be crooks of the highest order, particularly considering they all claim to be public servants. And I'm out over $5,000 in insurance claim money over more than three years, not to mention all the premium payments made to these lying MetLife crooks over a ten-year period.

Sad to say, at least criminals know what they're doing is wrong, but these scumbags all think of themselves as doing good. But what a surprise they'll have someday when they expect to be rewarded for their service to their fellow human beings and find out there'll be Hell to pay instead. In the end, it's better to find a dentist who admits all these companies affiliated with. This monster of an insurance game are crooks in cahoots with one another and will work with you to pay for their services without giving another dime to these rip-off artists.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had the surgeon to remove a broken tooth and do gum surgery, implants for the broken bridge and they did not pay. The rules say if it is a replacement prosthesis. It replaced a broken bridge. I have yet to hear of the claims after the denial to the dentist and surgeon. My benefits sites says processed and denied. I am taking small claims court. Please someone tell me the name of the insurance representative for the North Carolina Charlotte area so I can complete the court forms. It will give me justice to do it if I don't get a dime.

Original review: March 29, 2018

October of this past year, I had MetLife Dental insurance through my temp agency. I started my permanent position Oct. 2nd. I needed a root canal badly. I called the benefits department of my temp agency who told me I was covered until the Friday after I started permanent, which would be Oct. 6th. All went well at my appointment Oct. 5th until January, when all of a sudden MetLife or my temp agency, whichever one, decided to backdate my coverage until 09/30/2017, making me non-covered on my DOS. 3 months later! I feel completely lied to, and not only that, I now have to pay for it. MetLife even told my dentist that I was covered on that DOS. Seriously, 3 months after the fact you just magically changed your mind and got stingy over paying $330 dollars for my root canal? I feel so lied to. And financially, this hit me really hard. HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Wanted dental implants. Surgeon sent pretreatment request and it was approved that they would pay the 50%. They would cover $1893.00. Had the treatment a week later and they denied it leaving me to pay the additional $1893.00. Called right away and was told they didn't know why it was denied and would resubmit right away. Not taken care of and had to call again. It was explained to me that because I had dentures 9 years ago that they would not cover implants. It is only covered every 10 years. I ask, "Why didn't you state that on pretreatment request". "Oh, we don't check the frequency of items on pretreatment requests". "Why would you not do that. If it determines your coverage, why don't you check it. It makes the pretreatment quote totally useless". Their answer, protocol.

What genius makes that protocol, making it useless and putting their clients in a terrible position like that. Do they enjoy screwing people over and making them pay more. I COULD HAVE WAITED THE YEAR TO HAVE THE PROCEDURE DONE IF THEY HAD PROVIDED ME CORRECT INFORMATION. No help at all. You can file a dispute. That does nothing. That will take forever and they will just deny it anyway because their ridiculous protocol was followed. Now I have to pay another $2000.00 to the surgeon who has already sent a new bill. Thanks MetLife. No common sense, complete incompetence. Will contact a health advocate and my employer to put in a formal complaint against your company. Maybe if you lose my company's business if more of us complain. You'll think twice.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I have had MetLife Dental Insurance for the last 3 yrs. They say that they pay a certain percentage, but then they take the bill, cut the amount in half and pay whatever the percentage is on the half. So basically they pay almost nothing, if they decide to pay anything at all. I have had the majority of my claims denied because they don't have enough info, (dates that the original work was done, which was like 20 yrs ago). Who can list the dates that they have had each filling put in, really. This insurance is a joke! And I am sorry that I spent money on it instead of just giving it directly to the dentist, which would have been cheaper in the long run.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

My Dentist’s office had submitted an approval for bridge work in first week of January 2018. As there has been no response in writing either to me or my Dentist for over 3 weeks my Dentist’s office has been calling MetLife for a resolution. On each occasion they have stated that the approval was pending. As my Dentist was not getting any positive responses they requested me to call MetLife directly. On calling MetLife, initially I was told by the agent that the case was pending, on questioning further she told me that the request was denied but refused to give me any details. I requested her that MetLife sends a written confirmation with reasons for denial and she could not confirm that.

As I was going nowhere I asked to speak with a manager, when the manager came on the phone he told me that the request for bridge work was denied back in January for lack of adequate details. When I told him that I was troubled by MetLife’s response the manager apologized for not giving the correct information earlier. I told him that this procedure was approved by Delta my former Insurer last year and the same details were sent t to MetLife. So it is difficult to understand why the service was denied now. He could not give me the details of data that was lacking. I requested that MetLife sends a written confirmation with reasons for denial so that my Dentist could provide the missing data. I got no confirmation. The service provided was not professional and less than satisfactory.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I recently had my wisdom teeth taken out and MetLife was suppose to give me a claim check. Of course being the ** company that they are they have failed to do so after 4 months. I have consistently been on the phone with these people for 4 months now, they tell me they have the "incorrect address". I tell them to change it each time and every time I call again they say they have the wrong one. The company I work for faxes them the correct and still they have incorrect one on file. MetLife likes to play these games with their customers because they are too cheap to pay out. I will be getting an attorney and finding a new insurance company. If I could I would give them zero stars.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I went in for 6 month+ dental check up/cleaning/etc. Hygienist said I was due for certain type of x-rays, that it had been several years since the last set. I trust the hygienist (& my dentist) to know when I am due for particular procedures & when that is covered by my insurance. For instance, they do not schedule my 6 month cleanings/checkups unless they exceed the min. 6 months that Metlife requires.

However in this case the hygienist made a mistake - actually perfectly understandable since it would probably take 10 years to sift through & figure out all of Metlife's changing coverage requirements. I last had these x-rays in April of 2013. Now it is 2018. Sounds like 5 years to most of us. Yet Metlife will not cover the x-rays because I was "early" on that 5 year cutoff by about 2 months/60 days. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So I am expected to pay the full cost now myself. AND NONE OF THIS WILL COUNT TOWARDS MY DEDUCTIBLE EITHER. WHAT THE HECK DO I HAVE INSURANCE FOR? If I could change to another company I would but unfortunately this is the only dental coverage offered through work. Next year I will strongly consider dropping it altogether however since I do not want to give this crap company one more cent.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

If I could leave a 0 star rating I would. I have submitted 6 claims in 2017 for basic dental cleaning. MetLife Dental is 0:6 in processing the claims without running through hoops and waiting MONTHS for the refund. Every time we submitted a form we were denied and told we were not members, I would email them to straighten it out with the denial reference number they provided and every time their automatic response was, "Don't have a claim for that person." If they didn't have a claim, why are they sending me a denial?!

I would have to tell them to look again and magically the claim would appear OR they would never send a denial or a check and they would tell me that I have to mail it in again and wait 30 days. I am pretty sure that is exactly what I did the first time and clearly they were unable to open an envelope and properly file paper. I'm confident the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Now they have sent the dentist office my refund which means they were double paid and I am out $250 and I have to fight with my dentist office to get the money back. The last refund that I had to chase down took 6 months to get my money back and by the time I was finally refunded I had another appointment for a cleaning and the fight has started all over again with the same crap! Customer service is some of the most poorly trained people I have ever met. If I could leave them I would but it is the only dental insurance offered through my employer so we are stuck. TAKE WARNING!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I went to the dentist who wanted to perform a panorama xray. I had them contact MetLife Dental before they did the xray as I could not recall how long it had been since I had had a panorama xray. They said I was eligible for one but when my dentist billed the xray MetLife dental refused to pay for it as it had been just 3.5 years since my last one. I had relocated and changed providers so I could not remember. I highly advise not selecting this dental insurance if you have other options. I have now changed insurance carriers and will advise all to not choose MetLife Dental.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

After wasting an hour trying to get an answer to a very simple question, I found their website doesn't contain accurate information and they do not seem to care. It is January, I had a 2 dental claims in December but they do not show up on the website. Even though it allows you to search by claim number and time periods it will ONLY display claims from 1/1/18. That sucks! Not only because you cannot get the info you need, but they make it nearly impossible to speak to a human that can help. Then you have to wait at least 20 minutes and they refer you to another number. The only thing they could tell me is that the website doesn't work correctly. Duh! I know that. Why bother? I gave up, again they suck.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

MetLife denied saying there wasn't enough decay to justify replacing the crown. I have about 16 crowns. I guess they want it decayed so bad, that you can't replace the crown. Usual insurance. Make up an excuse so they don't pay the claim. MetLife dental insurance is the worst I have ever had.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I saw my dentist in July, 2017. I needed some work on teeth that already had work on it, so my dentist recommended sending MetLife a preauthorization with X-rays to determine my exact out of pocket expenses. The preauthorization was sent to MetLife on August 1. MetLife claims it was never received. Sent a second time in September. Another call to MetLife, they said it did not receive the preauthorization or the X-rays. Sent again in October with a promise to have it reviewed within 30 days. Still no word. Phone call to MetLife following up and it has not been reviewed as of 11/27/2017.

Today the phone call to MetLife resulted in three phone calls to different numbers provided by MetLife. No one at MetLife has a clue who I should talk to. I keep getting transferred everywhere within MetLife. Today, I was advised that MetLife got my preauthorization last week and it will be another 30 days to determine what is covered. I asked for additional information and was transferred to another person who was actually a disconnected phone! I have been trying to deal with MetLife since July and getting nowhere. My dentist office is experiencing the same problem. What is going on with this company? Service from MetLife is the worst I have encountered ever from an insurance company!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Try calling them... No human, ever. Simple Question, "nope, we don't care." Tried to call today regarding a Dental question. No. 2 seconds yes/no. No. "We don't care about consumers, working for a small fruit company with a heck of a network and we chat... A LOT." Keep it up. 80,000 employees here and abroad. Let's unite and unemployed them. Hey United, you look great right now.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Met Life denies claims which are legitimate and have just been coded wrong by the dentist. My dentist files the claim with what we both thought was the correct code and it was denied again. I spent hours contesting this denial and got nowhere. I was told by a supervisor that if I were to contest the denial I would be wasting my time. Here is my beef with this company. Talking to their representatives or supervisors is a waste of time as they have NO authority to do anything but read off the computer screen what you already know. I have dealt with Met Life before when I was working and wasn't pleased with them then. They are just awful.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am a disabled veteran, Metlife was/is offering a dental insurance program on behalf of the VA (Veterans Affairs). So I signed up for a 1 year contract or commitment that gave coverage to my wife. Come to find out, the insurance covered very little, and I would've saved money if I'd have just paid everything out of pocket, but that's besides the point. I agreed to a 1 year contract, so I fulfilled my end of the agreement.

2 months later... I get a bill that states I'm 2 months late, & owe MetLife $$$$, so I called them. I had already called them 2 months ago, to acknowledge that I had fulfilled my contract, & to cancel my wife's policy, & at the beginning of every phone call, there's a recorded message that says all calls are being recorded. But they keep telling me that they have no knowledge or data on any canceled policy, which they mysteriously cannot access. But that I still owe them for another 2 months of coverage... So, I've been trying for the last 3 hours to access ChampVA, or the VA, or Metlife dental program on behalf of the VA, and there's no access point, no way to contact them, (other than by phone). I'm starting to get a little agitated over here. VETERAN's: DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: July 6, 2017

Beware - Metlife claims that you can get two dental cleanings a year but they will look back at claims they refused to pay in 2016 and use that as a starting date for why they can not pay for the two cleanings in the current year. Certainly cheaper to just pay out of pocket and skip this type of coverage. Seems like they want to create rules to not pay out on claims they they should be covering.

Original review: June 6, 2017

My husband and I are double covered. My first is Delta Dental. Love them!!! Metlife is secondary. Delta Dental paid $700. Remains balance owed is $268. Drum roll please and Metlife paid a whopping $16. Ta da! So I owe $250. What in the hell is wrong with this picture??? Piece of crap company. I'll soon be shopping for some health coverage as I'm retiring. Guess who I won't be calling. Save your money folks. Get your company to go to Delta Dental.

Original review: May 24, 2017

MetLife loses Tricare dental contract, this Reservist rejoices. Before deploying, I get a postcard informing me our family dental insurance had changed. Curious, I call MetLife. Yep, that means you were canceled for non-payment. Why? Autopay wasn't working, money didn't come out, my fault, no insurance for you. Fair enough. I pay premiums through end of MetLife contract (Hooray, and many thanks to whoever pulled the plug on them!) and head off for deployment.

What do I find on my triumphant return? A bill from MetLife for me -- not my family -- to the tune of $250 for premium payments extending back to 2015. After a quick call to United Concordia to confirm that I, a reservist on extended active duty orders, had been covered by them and NOT MetLife, I give our friends of MetLife a call. Service rep tells me I owe back premiums, I disagree, I spend some time on hold. Gosh! Looks as if that bill had been canceled, and I can just ignore it. Huh. "Were you going to send me something to let me know that I didn't have to pay that bill?" "Nah, we don't have the contract anymore, no further letters to be sent out. Good thing you didn't pay it, though", huh?

I also asked about the $100 bill for the family plan backdated premium changes. Seriously, no more info than that: you owe us some money. I pointed out that, given the other bill being entirely bogus, I needed more to go on than that. The service rep told me she'd have to look into the matter, and that she'd call me back. If I were a betting man, I'd plunk down a fiver that I'll never hear from them again. In short, if the manner in which MetLife handled billing for the Tricare dental contract holds for the company in general, avoid. Just stay away. Best case scenario, incompetent; worst case, outright fraud. I wish I knew the backstory to them losing the contract. I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone wound up in jail.

Original review: May 10, 2017

My husband has been carrying this insurance since January 1, 2017. Imagine our shock when our dentist called to state our claim was denied. Metlife apparently, after sending out ID cards, and having the monies deducted from his paychecks twice a month, is claiming he never enrolled! Multiple calls and supervisors later, the issue has still not been resolved, and we are no closer to a resolution than when this first began. No empathy, nothing but a curt "there is no coverage" has been uttered. I am half tempted to report them to the insurance board since this is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: May 5, 2017

They count your cleanings as part of your deductible and don't give you much to claim. If you get 1 crown and 2 cleaning you are done and sometimes you have to pay extra!!!

Original review: April 25, 2017

Forced to Metlife by employer. AWFUL! In metro area as large as DFW, there were NO viable dentist to choose from are "in network". In 30 years of using dental insurance, have never had virtually ZERO choices and poor claims response.

Original review: April 23, 2017

Very good dental insurance and I wholeheartedly recommend. Pricey but not so bad really; I am on a fixed income so everything seems pricey to me these days. Customer service is great. Good benefits and truly affordable monthly rates for my plan.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I've had this insurance for over 10-years. The coverage has gotten progressively worst. Sometimes they pay for services and other times not so. I may switch plans.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I am retired and had Aetna Dental Care. I am out of town and need to see a dentist. I call ADC to see if anybody is in my network, and they told me that MetLife took over my dental care 2 years ago. I have received anything from my retired company or have I received any Dental Cards with ID Numbers or could I find a freaking phone # to contact anybody to get a card, so I can see right now that this company is going to be a Big POS, and I see how they save money, they don't give any phone numbers and when they do you have to have an ID number to enter to be able to talk to someone, and I don't have a freaking card.

I just wish I could be the one that could approve or disapprove the people that work at MetLife because I would tell them that they are SOL their teeth we just fall out before I can make a determination. I get my cards sent to the house in 10-15 days, that is sad, I hope someone at MetLife gets their cookie off by ** all the people that need help with their so called Insurance.

Metlife Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.

• Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.

• TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.

• FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.

• Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.

• Best for: Any individual or family working for a large or midsize public or private employer with a group dental plan insured through MetLife.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
    Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Metlife Dental Insurance Company Information