1.90/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Metlife Dental Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 28, 2017

31 Metlife Dental Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Try calling them... No human, ever. Simple Question, "nope, we don't care." Tried to call today regarding a Dental question. No. 2 seconds yes/no. No. "We don't care about consumers, working for a small fruit company with a heck of a network and we chat... A LOT." Keep it up. 80,000 employees here and abroad. Let's unite and unemployed them. Hey United, you look great right now.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Met Life denies claims which are legitimate and have just been coded wrong by the dentist. My dentist files the claim with what we both thought was the correct code and it was denied again. I spent hours contesting this denial and got nowhere. I was told by a supervisor that if I were to contest the denial I would be wasting my time. Here is my beef with this company. Talking to their representatives or supervisors is a waste of time as they have NO authority to do anything but read off the computer screen what you already know. I have dealt with Met Life before when I was working and wasn't pleased with them then. They are just awful.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am a disabled veteran, Metlife was/is offering a dental insurance program on behalf of the VA (Veterans Affairs). So I signed up for a 1 year contract or commitment that gave coverage to my wife. Come to find out, the insurance covered very little, and I would've saved money if I'd have just paid everything out of pocket, but that's besides the point. I agreed to a 1 year contract, so I fulfilled my end of the agreement.

2 months later... I get a bill that states I'm 2 months late, & owe MetLife $$$$, so I called them. I had already called them 2 months ago, to acknowledge that I had fulfilled my contract, & to cancel my wife's policy, & at the beginning of every phone call, there's a recorded message that says all calls are being recorded. But they keep telling me that they have no knowledge or data on any canceled policy, which they mysteriously cannot access. But that I still owe them for another 2 months of coverage... So, I've been trying for the last 3 hours to access ChampVA, or the VA, or Metlife dental program on behalf of the VA, and there's no access point, no way to contact them, (other than by phone). I'm starting to get a little agitated over here. VETERAN's: DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: July 6, 2017

Beware - Metlife claims that you can get two dental cleanings a year but they will look back at claims they refused to pay in 2016 and use that as a starting date for why they can not pay for the two cleanings in the current year. Certainly cheaper to just pay out of pocket and skip this type of coverage. Seems like they want to create rules to not pay out on claims they they should be covering.

Original review: June 6, 2017

My husband and I are double covered. My first is Delta Dental. Love them!!! Metlife is secondary. Delta Dental paid $700. Remains balance owed is $268. Drum roll please and Metlife paid a whopping $16. Ta da! So I owe $250. What in the hell is wrong with this picture??? Piece of crap company. I'll soon be shopping for some health coverage as I'm retiring. Guess who I won't be calling. Save your money folks. Get your company to go to Delta Dental.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Dental Insurance?

Original review: May 10, 2017

My husband has been carrying this insurance since January 1, 2017. Imagine our shock when our dentist called to state our claim was denied. Metlife apparently, after sending out ID cards, and having the monies deducted from his paychecks twice a month, is claiming he never enrolled! Multiple calls and supervisors later, the issue has still not been resolved, and we are no closer to a resolution than when this first began. No empathy, nothing but a curt "there is no coverage" has been uttered. I am half tempted to report them to the insurance board since this is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: May 5, 2017

They count your cleanings as part of your deductible and don't give you much to claim. If you get 1 crown and 2 cleaning you are done and sometimes you have to pay extra!!!

Original review: April 25, 2017

Forced to Metlife by employer. AWFUL! In metro area as large as DFW, there were NO viable dentist to choose from are "in network". In 30 years of using dental insurance, have never had virtually ZERO choices and poor claims response.

Original review: April 23, 2017

Very good dental insurance and I wholeheartedly recommend. Pricey but not so bad really; I am on a fixed income so everything seems pricey to me these days. Customer service is great. Good benefits and truly affordable monthly rates for my plan.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I've had this insurance for over 10-years. The coverage has gotten progressively worst. Sometimes they pay for services and other times not so. I may switch plans.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I am retired and had Aetna Dental Care. I am out of town and need to see a dentist. I call ADC to see if anybody is in my network, and they told me that MetLife took over my dental care 2 years ago. I have received anything from my retired company or have I received any Dental Cards with ID Numbers or could I find a freaking phone # to contact anybody to get a card, so I can see right now that this company is going to be a Big POS, and I see how they save money, they don't give any phone numbers and when they do you have to have an ID number to enter to be able to talk to someone, and I don't have a freaking card.

I just wish I could be the one that could approve or disapprove the people that work at MetLife because I would tell them that they are SOL their teeth we just fall out before I can make a determination. I get my cards sent to the house in 10-15 days, that is sad, I hope someone at MetLife gets their cookie off by ** all the people that need help with their so called Insurance.

Original review: April 15, 2017

My place of employment decided to use them. My Dentist who I confirmed are in their system, billed 100% to my credit card. After contacting my Employer, they contacted Brown and Brown who are the contact for Metlife. I have not received a response from my employer, Metlife, or the Dentist. I have a phone and email. In today's connected society how hard is it to send a text or email "we are reviewing your claim."

Original review: April 13, 2017

Metlife is such a terrible Company to deal with. They are so incompetent on every level. On hold forever, no Supervisors are ever working. They will have one call you back in 3 business days. They never want to pay for claims, my poor dentist faxed over the records they required 3 times and still no payment. Now they say they overpaid a claim from 2015 and deducted it from my claim and the dentist sent the funds back to them as a courtesy! If you can avoid them I cannot. My Company has them for the benefits. I would suggest you go somewhere else. They are the WORST!!!

Original review: March 31, 2017

My dental benefit (ha!) includes $1750.00 life benefit for orthodontal work. I paid my orthodontist, they filed the paperwork with MetLife. MetLife will now reimburse me the lifetime benefit of $1750.00 by $350.00 increments quarterly. It will take over a year for me to be reimbursed for a benefit I had to pay out of pocket. Nice way to get an interest free loan MetLife. And, as a bonus if I leave my company or end my policy or die, MetLife is off the hook. That's right, I never see my 'benefit'. Hope the fat cats of the insurance hustle choke on one of their expensive dinner pork chop bones and die an excruciating death in front of their loved ones and the loved one then never sees the fruition of their deceased's 'benefit'. Now that's anger and hate for the game and the player!

Original review: March 30, 2017

This company has the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. The representatives are rude. The information that they give out is different from service rep to service rep. I will not use MetLife for any other insurance after all the problems I have had with MetLife Dental.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I had dental insurance through my employer. Metlife Dental. We had 2 claims that we submitted for services on 1/4/17 and 1/19/17 - faxed the information to them 1/26/17. They began processing my husband's and then stopped and never started on mine until 3/1/17. Each time you would speak to a representative you get a different story. Today I spoke with Grace who told me my date of service was 1/4/16 a year prior and that both of these claims were denied. She sent me to a new Escalation supervisor named Debbie who sent another request to have this dentist name added which can take another 30 days, but I spoke with Leslie on 3/21 and Jo/Jose on 3/1 and 3/14 that both did the same thing!

How hard is to add a name. At first they said that Denver Health wasn't in their system. When I called back on 3/21 and spoke to a different representative who confirmed that Denver Health Dental Clinic was in their system and there were several doctors under that tax ID. But of course when I bring that up to Debbie I am told it can still take up to 30 days to add his name but she sent a request to expedite it to add the dentist name and get the claims processed which will still be another 10-15 days to process!!!!

What a crock of **! Then again when you ask to speak to someone other than these escalation supervisors you are told that there is no one else that can assist or speak to you. I have informed every representative that at this point I am writing a horrible review and contacting Better Business Bureau and contacting an attorney like my husband wants to. Just don't get METLIFE. IT'S HORRIBLE!!! CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!! THEY ARE NOT HERE FOR YOU!!! They are only concerned about getting their money and not sending you yours!! Any way to stall or deny!!!

Original review: March 20, 2017

Cannot say how disappointing this coverage is. Got this when I retired and lost Delta Dental. Trying to get reimbursed since December on a tooth extraction. It's now mid-March. Back on the phone where we are told it's our dentist's fault, dentist is saying it's MetLifes fault. Then we're told it's taken care of (happened 3 times) then in a week we get a letter declining reimbursement. Good Luck.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I have regular dental checkups, one every six months. Metlife wouldn't cover the last two because of a wording technicality in their contract. Metlife is the worst insurance company I've ever seen!! Poor customer service and rigidly stingy. You can do better, much better.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I was able to get a better dental plan from my new employer so I called in August to cancel Metlife Dental. I asked for a confirmation number and they said they don't give confirmation numbers. Seemed odd to me that a business wouldn't give a confirmation number but I expected at least an email for confirmation but I received no follow-up. They said I'd still have to pay the next month's fees and I figured that was standard so I said alright and went on with my day.

Fast forward 7 months and my wife was reviewing our finances and realized we were still being charged monthly for Metlife Dental. I called again and was told that there was no record of my previous call. I asked that they look into it so I can get reimbursed for the money I've been paying and said again to please process cancellation of my service effective immediately. They said they would and to call back in 15 business days to follow up on the investigation of my previous call.

Today is the day I called back. Unsurprisingly I was informed that they had no record of my call from August. I said fine, but wanted to verify that they had cancelled my service on the previous call. The rep informed me that they had not cancelled my service on the previous call but he would cancel it now. I again asked for a confirmation number and was told that they do not give confirmation numbers. I have not received any confirmation that my service is being cancelled and have a feeling that I will be calling again next month when I get charged. This is ridiculous and needs to stop. They are fraudulently charging people that want to have their service cancelled.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

This company is THE WORST!! I want my Delta Dental insurance back.:( These guys won't cover ANY PORTION of my dental implant, even though it is clearly stated in my benefits that they are covered. They are trying to say that they won't cover it because my tooth was congenitally missing, and that they need a record of an extraction. Ummm HELLO!!! I was born without the tooth!? How would anyone have a record of it being extracted!? These people will ** their way out of paying for anything. THE WORST!! They also will give you the run around over the phone (and email) and give you a lot of conflicting answers from person to person. I will be dropping this insurance like a hot potato.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I have been fighting with MetLife since 2012 for a small amount which has never been paid till date for my son's 1st phase of treatment. Now MetLife wants me to pay $900 more for the 2nd phase when initially they agreed to pay all charges.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

I recently paid out of pocket an out of network periodontist for 2 visits. The office staff submitted my claims for reimbursement. I checked on the claim 30 days later to find neither had been paid. I called Metlife, (which was not easy, as it is almost impossible to reach a real person or one that speaks English). I was told by a representative that they needed charting before they would pay. I called the dental office to ask that they send the charting. They sent it that day. Neither the dental office nor I had been notified by Metlife the claim had been denied, it was just luck that I checked on it.

Now over 30 days later I am still waiting on my checks to reimburse me. I was told that Metlife could not reissue for lost checks until they were outstanding at least 30 days. I am certain the checks have not been mailed. What is the chance the USPS could lose both checks? The checks were supposedly mailed October 25th, and today November 12th I am still waiting.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I never had any serious problems while I carried this policy. I was always treated in a courteous manner. My questions were always answered in a quick manner in which I easily understood. I found the claims process very simply to use and was happy with the way in which my claims were handled. So I was satisfied and stress-free anytime I had to get involved personally in this process. As far as I was concerned the value I received made me feel as though I was getting the return I expected for any and all situations. So for me it was a good experience. The network options that I personally had to deal with to me was an easy process to follow so I always had a positive experience when ever I had to get involved with these.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I used the coverage for free cleanings and also used them twice for extractions. The staff at the dental office took care of everything. There was never an issue with claims processing as far as I know. I only ever paid my copay at the time of service. The staff at the dental office never approached me for any reason so I can only assume the speed was okey. It was addon to my existing health insurance through my employer. The value was great. My premium was less than &15 and I had some dental work done at the time. I know that my preferred dentist was in the network and I had no other issues related to network coverage.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

They were very nice and willing to answer any questions I had. I was nervous but after felt more educated and more confident. I appreciated that I could talk to a real person. I think that it is very valuable and that it was worth the price. I don't know all that much about network options because I haven't experienced all that many different network options.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

They are very helpful with issues. Had MetLife dental insurance. They are a very good company, pay for a lot of services. Very happy with this company. Process claims in a timely manner, never have to pay out of pocket expenses, would recommend, never had any issues. Good premium and not a lot of out of pocket expenses paid for a lot of dental and all preventive services, x-ray, cleaning and various others. Had no trouble finding a dentist in network. Love this insurance. Would recommend to anyone if they need a good dental insurance, not a lot of expenses.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

The customer service was so so, not horrible, but not outstanding. I feel it could have been better, but at the same time the people trying to help me were actually caring about me as a person. The claims processing time was a bit slow, but the outcome of the service I was given completely made up for it and I am happy I chose this company over others. The value was pretty good, not too costly, but a little more on the costly side. At the end of the day the service was really nicely explained to me and I am very happy with the outcome. The network options were pretty varied with a lot of interesting choices. I actually had a hard time choosing, but that isn't a bad thing. I am satisfied with the options I had and can't ask for more.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Easy to submit claims and to understand the coverage. Customer service was easy to reach and very courteous and helpful in explaining coverage amounts and procedures. Claims were handled in a fast, efficient manner and never delayed, and all claims were processed within the estimated time window. No claims were missing or delayed in any way. The value is great for regular checkups and cleaning and often require no additional payments. Payments for additional work such as crowns and fillings help offset to the total cost of the procedures. The network includes many local doctors and specialists that can provide service for all required dental procedures and the in-network benefits are worth the cost of the insurance.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

My claims were handled well. Interactions over the phone were pleasant and professional. It wasn't stellar but it wasn't bad either. I ultimately didn't stay with them. The claim time was about one week, which was about average I suppose. I know that it takes time for things to process, but I feel that there could be some possible improvement to speed things up. I was able to reach my deductible relatively quickly, co-pays were reasonable and I was able to work within the network. It didn't cost me as much out of pocket as I expected. The network was very wide and I had many choices. My usual people were in network which made continuing to see my usual people possible.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

They told me that the only thing that I could do was to file a formal complaint and include proof of pre-approval and request a review from their review board. It was very long. It took over two months for the initial response to the claim. And, it took slightly more than three months to get the results of the review board. The premium were relatively high. They were taken out of my pay automatically every two weeks. But, considering that they never paid for any claim, (even small ones) the value didn't even come close to the cost. The network provider options were very poor. When I signed up there were several dentists in my area. But, when I first went to use it none of them were in network. The closest in network provider was over 50 miles away, and it took over two hours to get to them.

Metlife Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

MetLife is one of the largest global providers of insurance products, employee benefit programs and annuities. Based in New York,  the company provides dental coverage to over 20 million people.

• A global brand: MetLife is one of the most recognized and long-lasting names in the insurance industry.
    • Great employee plans: MetLife is focused on providing group dental insurance to companies with thousands of employees in the U.S. or abroad.
    • TRICARE Dental Program: MetLife manages this program for members of active duty uniformed personnel and members of the National Guard, the U.S. Army Reserves and their families.
    • FEDVIP: MetLife manages the federal employees dental and vision insurance program.
    • Plenty of information: To keep clients informed, MetLife offers educational resources like the MetLife Oral Health Library on its website.
    • Best for: Any individual or family working for a large or midsize public or private employer with a group dental plan insured through MetLife.
    Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
    Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Metlife Dental Insurance Company Information