Mendota Auto Insurance
1.38/5
Based on 79 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Save on Car Insurance - Compare Quotes

Mendota Auto Insurance

Mendota Auto Insurance provides coverage for drivers across the United States. Mendota is not currently an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to see multiple offers from providers to find the right policy for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

89 Mendota Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 9, 2018

Called to pay bill, get transferred 3 times, then get put on hold for 15 minutes while the guy is calling me ma'am the whole time until I corrected him. ALL TO TRY AND PAY MY BILL> Can't wait to change companies. This one is TRASH and they are full of **.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Went to make my last payment of $170+ for final payment on my insurance. It's almost time for a new policy so it had another option to pay last payment and renew at the same time at $345.00. Well I picked just current bill payment. It had the $345 in a grey area making it look like it wasn't picked but the current payment was in bold black. I said pay and instead of it saying, "Are you sure you want to pay $170" it just said paid $345. So now I'm out that extra money that wouldn't have come out until the end of July. My husband was injured on the job a year ago so money is tight. So beware of the greyed out area when making a payment.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 25, 2018

Mendota provided my required insurance sufficiently. The only contact I initiated was when my rates actually increased after my policy renewed several times. I was not happy with the increase at all.

Original review: May 1, 2018

It is very hard to call customer service. You have to say you're making a payment to get a live person. Otherwise, getting through the prompts are impossible. The customer service is terrible. This company is not reputable and should be shut down. I can't wait till my husband get 1 last thing removed from his driving record to go to another company. Do not waste your hard earned money or time with this awful business. The website is a joke. Can't even print your ID card from it. Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!

Original review: April 30, 2018

I haven’t been with Mendota Auto Insurance that long. We pay our insurance through an agent friend of ours. And when we do talk to them they’re rude. They never are willing to explain or discuss anything we ask. This company has major issues in its staff. I would say go to another place. Everything about this company screams, “We don’t care. Just pay us and shut up.” The guy way overcharged us then when we called him on it he called my wife a liar. So we showed him the proof and he said it was our fault. I don’t like Mendota, every time we talk to them it’s always "you’re wrong we’re right. Now shut up and move on." They totally suck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mendota?

Original review: April 29, 2018

Cheapest policy that I found and I shopped around a lot before choosing my company. I would recommend Mendota to help save you money. However, they only offer a 6 month policy to members. The customer service department is not much help since mostly everything is done in their website. So far I have been happy with Mendota except that if you add a vehicle or drop a vehicle you have to pay a large deposit. Also the only way to get the best price for your policy is you have to have a card on file. I wish they offered a year policy. It might cost more for a year but would be better in the long run.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Mendota is by far the cheapest insurance company that we could find for our two cars. We found it thru a local broker and have been using them for 2 to 3 years or so. However, I do not like the fact that they bill me different amount each time. They send a small forest thru the mail. And both times we needed them because someone hit us. They didn't seem to have any ** to give us. Also, most of the time when we call them they don't know who we are, many times they have sent us notices stating our insurance was going to be dropped due to nonpayment even though the payment went thru. I am looking into other companies for this service.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have had Mendota Auto Insurance for 3 years and the overall experience is good. They have good customer service and answer the phone calls in a reasonable time. They send me my statements on time every single month. I like how in general the rates are reasonable. But I dislike how my rates have been changing every 6 months. I don’t understand how if I live in the same city and same town that I did 6 months ago but my rates change without even being in an accident or any type of involvement.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My parked vehicle was seriously damaged by a Mendota insure. Step one, wait, step 2 wait, step 3 initiate contact repeatedly so that you may given instructions on how to prepare your own claim i.e. get a password, a phone app, submit pictures to a third party company, wait, step 4 beg for an estimate, step 5 beg for details pertaining to rental, step 6 beg to not have to be out of pocket for rental, step 7, deal with the low ball estimate. I'm currently stuck at this point. How long will this company be an ongoing concern? Having to slide in and out of my truck for over a month has been nightmarish. They want me to be out of pocket for rental and then review rental costs for reimbursement? Hmmm. A true spectacle for a regulatory review board.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Well I have a car accident in April 21th and just to make large history short they resolve my case until September 19th, they take 5 months to resolve it!!! And they only call me one time, one time in 5 months, I try almost every ** day to contact them and don't even answer the phone, it was a really nightmare, stay away from this "car insurance".

Original review: April 5, 2017

My husband was involved in an accident with a driver who is insured with Mendota Ins Co. After reading the reviews I was quite concerned with the claim being processed. The day after the claim we took a trip and was unavailable for 7 days. When we returned home I received 3 notifications from Mendota. I called our adjuster and was promptly connected. Ninel was very professional and quickly assigned an outside adjusting firm who came the next day to look at the damages. We were advised we would be contacted in 48 hours. We spoke again with Ninel, she reviewed the estimate and sent it to be approved. We received our check 3 days later. This situation was handled quick, efficient and very professional. Thank you Ninel, you have done a great job.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I was in an accident on 02/15/16 and failed a claim. I was told after filing that I would be contacted within 2 days by an adjuster to go over details. It is now 03/01/16, and I have not once spoken to the adjuster assigned to me. I received a dumb email stating the name of the adjuster and a phone number to contact her, but I've never been contacted by Yoselin. I called her twice last week, and twice this week and have not heard anything. I finally got fed up and called their CSR department and asked to speak to their supervisor. They connect me with a supervisor, Tim, who's not even in the same office as Yoselin. He proceeds to take all my information over again and said that I will receive a text about some app where I could submit photos of the damages to my car. I haven't even received that text yet!!! I said that my frustration is that I was told that I was going to speak to an adjuster and nothing.

In an email, I was told that I was going to get my car inspected and NOTHING. Basically, by sending me this information about an app, then I would speed about the process for them. So as a policyholder for them, I'm doing their job for them??? This is so freaking ridiculous, and it's so embarrassing. The damages to both vehicles are minor, so I don't understand why they're dragging their feet. The faster they fix it, the faster I'm out of their hair. Tim said that once I upload these photos, then I would hear something within 2-3 days, but how the ** am I supposed to upload these photos when he gave me NO instructions? This is beyond ridiculous. Definitely planning on leaving ASAP. It's cheap insurance but you will end up with a bigger loss if something happens to you. They're going to run this business to the ground.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

My car had an incident, the company provided a towing car. They said that they would call for fees informations and where the car would be. After 15 days I've got and letter saying that I owe them 368,00 Dollars for storage get and services. And the company wouldn't pay for it. I have called them more than 4 times and leaving messages and they don't respond to my calls. And the bill keeps rising. Who is responsible for that? You'll be the judge.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

My insurance is through a company called KAI and when I was hit on the night of Friday the 13th of January 2017 I filled a claim that night. It took KAI's claim rep till the following Wednesday to make contact. The estimate was emailed to KAI's adjusters at Mendota on Thursday. It's been 8 days and Mendota has told us 3 times they never received the estimate which is BS as I've personally sent it 2 times as well as the body shop 2 times. I believe they are deliberately dragging their feet. In the meantime I'm not able to work and I can't pay my rent which is due in 2 days.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

People at this insurance company are not good with customer service. I asked if they was BBB accredited they lied and told me no so I wouldn't leave a bad review. As a owner of a business owner I am very disappointed in the lack of respect and care for their own company. They work for and not caring for their boss in this situation because I'm sure if their boss knew how rude and short they would certainly not have a job.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

They can't deduct the right amount auto insurance from my account. They double billed me. They can't insert the correct amount to be deducted. I had to call the bank for them to take care of it. They have to be instructed monthly. Worst insurance company I have ever had.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER!! My dealership "recommended" Mendota 3 years ago and I have been a LOYAL customer always making my payments on time NEVER lapsing or late. My payment was due on the 13th and since it was a Sunday and I couldn't call to make a payment when they are closed, I called Monday morning the 14th and paid. I asked if it could please be backdated since I made the payment as soon as I could the next business day and they REFUSE to do so. Not only that, my payment wasn't considered processed until today which makes it a 2 day lapse and now DMV is issuing me a $502 fine for both mine and my mother's vehicle!!

I am a divorced, single mother of 2 children and make less than $10 an hour and this fine has to be paid in full, RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!! They absolutely could have backdated my coverage to avoid this fine but these greedy, heartless S.O. B's couldn't care less that my children's holiday is now ruined even though I cried and begged them to please do something to help me. They just don't care and are not willing to help a loyal customer. I have been paying close to $200 every month for almost 3 years and FOR WHAT???

They lost a loyal customer and caused me so much grief and stress. I do not have the $502 fine that DMV wants and it's come down to either not pay my rent or my children do not get a Christmas this year and I will not lose my home because of this. So my 2 children will be heartbroken this Christmas because their mom was terribly let down by her insurance company. They will never get another penny out of me!!! I am absolutely switching companies and will be warning everyone how terrible they are!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

I was hit by someone that was driving one of their insured cars. She ran a stop sign and smacked right into me. I was pregnant with my daughter at the time and had my 2 sons with me. She ran off when she heard police sirens and my case has been "pending review" per Mendota since then. My attorney sent a demand for 46,000 and they are offering roughly 8,000 for me and my children for a hit and run. I am so jumpy when I drive, I can barely do so. The adjuster was rude, the customer service sucks, and they are crooks. They are "reviewing" a case because the driver wasn't their insured, but the car was their insured vehicle. SMH, they are hoping I let it go, and I won't.

Original review: July 14, 2016

3 months for claim settlement when one of their drivers hit me. Didn't have my correct information even though I left many messages and my insurance tried to contact them several times. Ended up calling my mother in law to find me. What a bunch of clowns.

Original review: June 28, 2016

Mendota Insurance has without question the worst customer service I have ever witnessed in my 54 years on this planet. If you are lucky and never have an accident, the price is very cheap. This insurance will prevent you from getting a ticket. That's it. If you ever have to file a claim, prepare to hire an attorney to get any help.

I've been unlucky the last few months with 2 cars and it's not a fault of my own. My first one was flooded out due to 10 inches of rain in a 2 hr period. I was at work and several other cars suffered the same fate. I immediately called Mendota. I was put on hold for nearly an hour. A rep finally answered and took my information. I was then told it would be forwarded to an adjuster who would contact me via E-mail. I told the operator, "What is this kind of service? Legitimate insurance companies don't work like this." Needless to say, repeated calls got me nowhere. I finally gave up and traded the damaged vehicle in for a new car.

Exactly one month after owning this car I was rear ended by a person who had no insurance. I called again to file another claim. I am "still waiting on a E-mail". This time I had enough and hired a lawyer. It's to the point I don't care if my car get fixed. I want to help put this company out of business. You know the saying. "You get what you pay for." Filet Mignon cost more than flank steak. Mendota is below flank steak when it comes to insurance companies. They happily take your money, but do everything under the sun to prevent paying when they have to.

Original review: June 1, 2016

Mendota Insurance needs to be reviewed by the Minnesota Better Business Bureau. On December 11, 2015 I had an auto accident with one of their insurers in San Diego, California. For weeks I tried to communicate with their claims adjuster Mark **. He never returned my calls. The person with whom I had the accident admitted guilt in causing the accident and said this to my insurance claim adjuster. Just today I got a notice that my claim for full reimbursement of my deductible was only going to be processed for 80% of my out of pocket costs. In looking at the other comments made on Mendota Auto Insurance in this link I see that there is a common thread to their business practices. They delay communication and do not support their claims as they should. Mark ** should be an embarrassment to the industry.

Original review: June 1, 2016

My wife was involved in a traffic accident by one of their clients and it took three weeks for me to get any answers on what they are going to do and to date all I have received is the runaround. The claims adjuster's message on her phone, in which I could never actually talk with her and said that if I could not contact her I was to contact her supervisor and that she, herself, would contact me in 24 hours, was a complete joke. My insurance company tried 5 unsuccessful time to get them to reply to them. Even though my insurance company had sent them all the information about the accident, the accident report as well as the traffic ticket that their client received at the scene, was ignored and they never replied to my insurance company whatsoever. This is no a very professional or honest company. I feel sorry for the people that have decided to purchase auto insurance from them... I wouldn't.

Original review: April 21, 2016

This is the WORST insurance company I have ever dealt with and I am 65 years old. Don't believe them when they charge you for full coverage. My son's truck was damaged by NTB and they refused to correct the problem. We went to Mendota and they told us, "TOO BAD. TOO SAD. We are not going to help you. We are not going to repair your truck." So what good is FULL COVERAGE IF YOU CAN'T GET YOUR VEHICLE FIXED? Look. All you see are people who have been ripped off by this company.

Original review: April 8, 2016

This company win rip off of the year award. They steal money and after calling and trying to understand charges that was applied to the account they explained that by adding one vehicle my monthly charges would be 323 and it was a month after learning not by mail, email or convo but by them taking it out of my acct. I never authorized this amount to be taking from my acct. And the customer service department didn't know the prorated credit means and how to explain the amount that was stolen. They double charged and I feel sorry for the owner of this company and now understand why it has a one star rating because the employees that they have is going to sank his company with lawsuits. I have recorded calls all which proves they can review charges on the acct.

Original review: March 1, 2016

This is the worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with. First, their driver hit me. I waited to be contacted by a rep. After 2 months of being ignored by Mendota after sending several emails I finally had my truck fixed and paid for the repairs myself. The accident happened in September of 2015 and today is February 29th 2016. I sent the receipts from the Auto repair company 3 different times to my contact at Mendota. Each time she says she lost them. On the 4th time I refused to send them to her and told her to check her email. This went on for months. She did find my emails after weeks of being Radio Silent but now we have another hurdle. They are now requesting that the auto repair company send a receipt from their supplier showing what they paid for the bumper. My repair guy has sent the information which has been lost by Mendota.

We are now on 6 months for a claim less than $800. Mendota representatives must get bonuses for every time they "kick the can" down the road. If my employees treated people like this I would fire them. I don't know who runs the organization but he/she is either a crook or incompetent. Neither an admirable trait. If you get involved with this group put the pressure on immediately and call your District attorney and State insurance board right away. They will string you out for months hoping you disappear.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

I had a 1999 Corvette and was involved in an accident with a Mendota customer. I had the car for 3 days and it is now totaled. They not only drag their feet, but carried minimum insurance and I along with the other victim had to have my insurance take care of everything as this company does just about nothing to resolve their claims. Their license should be pulled along with all these "cut rate" companies as the only service they provide is "we have car insurance" when in fact, when responsible for a claim, they pay nothing.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

I want to share with you how my family's life has changed since May 19, 2015. On May 19, 2015, my car was hit from behind on my way to work by a MENDOTA insurer. At the accident, I called 911 and she admitted it was her fault, she told me and the Norfolk Police officer she was reaching in her bag and was not paying attention. MENDOTA insurer called me the day after the accident to ask me how I was feeling. I told her I was hurting and that I went to the ER and I wanted my car fixed. She assured me that her mother's insurance company, Mendota, knew about the accident.

I went to Virginia Beach General ER the day of the accident and was told I would feel worse before I got better. I was given pain medication and sent home. I had neck and arm pain on my left side. That night I awoke with shooting spasms up and down both my arms. I went back to the same ER, a day later, complaining of the same pain but it was now worse. Initially, I was out of work for four days. I work as an Outreach Worker, I do home visiting and my job requires me to have my own transportation. The body of my car was shaking and hesitating to accelerate. I made a report with my insurance company, AIC of Maryland, the same day of the accident. I called MENDOTA Insurance Company personally, after a week of my insurance company, AIC of Maryland trying to reach them and they couldn't. I was able to talk to someone, who gave me a report number.

I received a rental car from my insurance company AIC, a week later after the accident, because I put my car in the shop thinking it was going to be fixed, but I would have to pay the deductible. I am a single parent of two kids and I have no family here in Virginia, my eldest was graduating from high school, in June 2015, which graduation is costly, so I did not have the money for my deductible, so I had to give back the rental car and I had to pay for my own rental car to get back and from work. I live at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and work in Norfolk, VA.

I only got a lawyer because I was getting nowhere with MENDOTA Insurance and neither was my insurance company. It was only when my lawyer contacted MENDOTA Insurance, in the middle of June 2015, that they decided that they would pay for a rental until my car was fixed, but my car had been at the collision shop since a week after the accident, May 19.

When I found out that my car was a total loss in the middle of June 2015, I was devastated. This caused more problems. I had to give back the rental and now I had no car. I had only had my car less than 2 years and if MENDOTA Insurance Company paid off the car, I wouldn't receive a dime of the money, because the payoff amount was the total of the loan, less $300 dollars. I have no way of getting another car. I have a limited income and have no extra money for a down payment and at the time I had filed bankruptcy 6 months before the accident, so my credit is shot.

I started physical therapy sometime in June 2015, but couldn't finish with my treatments because I no transportation from work, therapy, and home. I was discharged from therapy in July 2015, still in pain. It cost me for one week of rental about $285-300 dollars; I didn't have the money to do it, every week. I was becoming late with my rent and bills trying to get to work. I was paying my co-workers gas money to take me back and forth to work, grocery stores, to my clients home visits, church, etc. I couldn't keep it up, this caused a riff at work with my co-workers and with my job and now the job and I have been on for 10 years was now in jeopardy. I am a dependable, hard worker. I was notified on 2 separate occasions that I had 30 days to get a car or I would be fired. By the grace of God, I am still there.

So I had no choice but to take the bus, it's a mile and half to the nearest bus stop to my house, so I get up at 5 am and leave my house by 6 am, walking in the dark, praying nothing happens to me, to get on the bus at 6:40 am paying $4.00 or $6.50 a day to get to Norfolk by 8:30 am. A friend picks me up from the bus stop and takes me the rest of the way to work. My job begins at 8 am; and I am late everyday. I get off at 5 pm, get a ride back to the bus stop and I ride the bus from Norfolk back to Virginia Beach Oceanfront and walk home again in the dark, getting in the house at 7:40 pm, if the bus isn't late. It used to take me 35 minutes to get home driving, now it's over 2 hours. It costs $30 dollars in a cab just to go to the bank. I am so exhausted some nights. I can't even cook dinner for my family.

As a result of walking so much, I have injured my feet, I have Plantar Fasciitis. I have constant pain, spasms all the time on the bottom of my feet. It was recommended that I take time off to stay off my feet and try to heal. I used up all my vacation time, 3 weeks worth, to stay at home, trying to help rest my feet, at the same time I was approved for FMLA, but I couldn't afford to take a 50% pay cut when I am already struggling to pay my bills. During the hot summer days, going to work was unbearable, hot and sweaty and coming home the same, walking in the rain or snow in the cold.

Mentally this case has caused my family so much pain. I am drained, disgusted with this whole ordeal and it was recommended by my employer to seek mental health services. I cry often because I am so tired of the pain. My children and I have not been able to take our yearly vacation, my son was in after school activities, and he had to stop because I had no way to get him back home. I can only grocery shops nearby and less often because I don't have the money to pay someone or take a cab (very costly). MENDOTA was so slow to pay my car off, it wasn't until September 2015 when they did, so my credit report says my car was reposed and not paid off, even though it was, and I didn't receive the $300 dollar check.

MENDOTA owed me till the end of September 2015. Since the accident, I have been to court three different occasions for being behind on my rent, I couldn't keep up the payments in my bankruptcy case so it was dismissed, my job security was threatened, I've had lack of sleep, not being able to go and check on my sick mother, or constantly having to wait, whether it was for MENDOTA Insurance to step up or waiting on a bus, a cab, or on people to decide whether to take me places and then they charge me outrageous amounts of money. Please, I am asking for your help in this matter. Thank You.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

Was told when I signed up for insurance that my seventh month would be waived. I never heard that before but I went with it. So when it came time to pay the next payment I thought I would go online to pay it just in case and when I logged into my account it said there was nothing to pay that the account was paid up. So naturally I assume (and you know what they say about that) they had waived it like I was told. No, it was canceled and I received a call from retailer about my vehicle having no insurance and that if it wasn't taken care of they were coming to pick up the vehicle. I tried to call my home office with insurance and I get what I always get, an answering machine (they never answer). So I had to call the main customer service number where I was told I'm now in high risk because I allowed it to lapse. ;) Thank you scums of the earth. Sorry excuse of a company.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! My PARKED vehicle was hit by a Mendota insured driver who was carrying a non-owners policy. This person was 100% at fault and received a careless driving ticket. Mendota will not pay the claim. My vehicle was totaled and we have 3 little kids. They did NOTHING! The worst experience I have ever had with an insurance agent. The driver that hit my car also happened to be my landlord and he is evicting us over the matter. Welcome to HELL.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

This company takes my payment every month out of my account, and for the second time in a row, they have been dragging their feet with payments, decisions and the willingness to answer calls and questions. I cannot wait until I get an opportunity to change insurance companies. This has driven me crazy! It has been a month since the approval of repairs and the check still has not been sent. I am stuck paying for a rental car until someone answers a phone or a question. This is unbelievable the incompetence of this company. Please do yourself a favor and pay more if you have to. This company will drive you crazy and waste your time and money!

Mendota Auto Insurance Company Information