2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Mendota Auto Insurance

Mendota Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Mendota Insurance provides auto coverage through independent local agents across the United States. The company is known for serving a wide variety of customers, including those considered high-risk drivers who might have a hard time finding coverage elsewhere. Its claims services are open 24/7, and it provides flexible payment options.

BOTTOM LINE

Mendota is a nonstandard insurer that offers auto policies through local agents all over the U.S. It focuses on mid- to high-risk drivers in particular. Its website doesn't have much info, but its claims experts are available 24/7.

PROS

• Insures high-risk drivers
  • Claims department available 24/7
  • Flexible payment options

CONS

• Not much info online
  • Low customer ratings

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Mendota car insurance?

Mendota is a nonstandard auto insurance company designed to support high-risk drivers — those with strikes against their record like frequent claims, DUIs or license suspension, for instance. The company offers low down payment options and competitive pricing, and its coverage is available exclusively from local independent agents, providing a personalized experience for drivers. Mendota offers 24/7 claims filing and a toll-free customer service line.

How does Mendota car insurance work?

Because independent agents market its coverage, Mendota’s website doesn’t tell much about its options. Most similar providers offer common coverages like liability, comprehensive, collision, medical payments, personal injury protection and underinsured/uninsured motorist. High-risk policies usually come with higher costs, too, so drivers in this category might prefer a policy that just meets minimum state liability requirements in order to save money.

Mendota lets you report claims on its website or toll-free service line 24/7; your independent agent will follow up if necessary. You’ll need to provide information like your policy number, accident details, contact details for involved parties and the police report (if filed). Even if you don’t have all the required information, Mendota encourages you to report an accident as soon as possible.

Mendota car insurance quotes

Mendota doesn’t provide its rates online. Instead, a local independent agent can provide tailored quotes based on your coverage needs. Given that it writes policies for high-risk drivers, it’s likely its quotes are higher than what standard insurance companies offer. However, Mendota does promise competitive pricing, low down payments and flexible payment options. You can pay for Mendota coverage by:

• Cash
  • Electronic funds transfers
  • Check
  • Visa
  • Mastercard
  • Discover

Mendota car insurance FAQ

Is Mendota Insurance a standard company?
No. Mendota is a nonstandard company. It writes policies focused on medium- to high-risk drivers.
Who owns Mendota insurance?
Mendota Insurance is a subsidiary of Premier Holdings Inc. — the company bought Mendota in 2018 from Kingsway Financial Services.
Where is Mendota Insurance available?
Mendota Insurance is available across the United States. Local independent agents market its coverage throughout the country.
Where is Mendota Insurance located?
Mendota Insurance is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee.

Is Mendota car insurance worth it?

Mendota writes policies for drivers who might struggle to find coverage elsewhere. It focuses on mid- to high-risk drivers, including those with DUIs, frequent claims or suspended licenses, who need to meet state coverage minimums — though its rates are probably higher than what you’d get with a standard insurance company. While nonstandard coverage for high-risk drivers can be harder to find, make sure to explore all your options before choosing an insurer.

Mendota Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mendota Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mendota?

Original review: March 1, 2021

I was notified Saturday February 27th around 5 pm via USPS that my insurance policy would be cancelled on March 1st at 1201 am. Obviously unable to reach anyone with the company(s) The Zebra / Mendota due to it being a weekend, my policy was cancelled. Now as of the 1st, I have contacted both companies and been informed that my financial institution declined the payment that was set up to automatically occur. However, my financial institution doesn't show a record of a declined transaction and I received no notification other than the extremely late postal letter.

The Zebra / Mendota are not performing due diligence in policyholder notification, The Zebra / Mendota are not offering electronic notifications. I was then told I would have to pay a $20.00 dollar reinstatement fee for a policy that should not have been cancelled, along with a $25.00 NSF fee for a declined debit card transaction that doesn't exist to my knowledge. I believe the company to be acting fraudulently and unethically.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I pay insurance automatically from my bank account. I noticed that I didn't have a charge from Mendota and called them and they told me my policy was canceled and my license was suspended. I had to pay $156 before doing my route this afternoon causing me to be 30 minutes late. I drive a school bus. I cannot afford to have a tarnished license. It is now tarnished because of them. My insurance rates at a couple of the places I contacted for insurance wanted to charge me much more for insurance because of it.

I did find someone at a reasonable rate. They say policy was canceled for non-payment and that they sent notice in the mail. I received nothing from them, I received no calls or texts, and received no email informing me of a problem. I would have paid if I knew. I have up to now had a lot of money between stimulus money and paychecks for working. I pay my insurance but now my reputation is for doing so was wiped out. My employer was not happy. I am not happy. I am contacting lawyers now to try and get compensated. Do not trust this company.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I received an additional bill after I cancelled w/ Mendota. It was not stated why on the invoice, so I called them. The lady that answered really had a hard time explaining why to satisfy my mind. She was borderline rude & shouldn't be customer servicing. Glad I cancelled my policy!

Original review: July 13, 2020

In January of 2017 our daughter was hit by one Mendota’s insureds. After three years of patiently waiting for any sort of response from Mendota regarding our claim and four months of negotiating on a settlement amount, we are now seven days with a false payment in hand and back to square one, faced with making a decision on exactly what we were trying to avoid in the first place, litigation. They wrote us a bad check after three years of our daughter suffering from her permanent injuries. To top it off, they’ve been nothing more than RUDE throughout the entire experience. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Original review: April 10, 2020

This company is very unprofessional and rude. They took over 400.00 out of my account in a 6 day period without authorization. When I called they basically said it legal because policy went up based on address and they would not refund any money. I would strongly recommend not going with this company.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Worst insurance company I have ever dealt with! I paid for three months in advance and I tried to take myself off auto pay a month before my next payment was due and they wouldn't let me unless I paid another payment a month in advanced. And wouldn't let me cancel my policy and once I signed a cancellation form they STILL took money off of my card!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I got this insurance through my insurance agent. They were the cheapest so I thought I just go with them. You truly get what you pay for. The rate was different every single month. Always going up by a few dollars. It is a hassle to pay online. They charge a $5 fee to make any online payments. Their website is poorly designed. I have called customer service twice and both times the person was extremely rude and unhelpful. This is the worst experience I have ever had with a car insurance company. As soon as the Policy ended I immediately switched to another insurance carrier. If you're looking for cheap insurance I would recommend spending a little more to avoid this company.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I had insurance with Mendota for 1 1/2 years. My monthly rate was different each month. Each time I called with a question, they could never find my policy and would refer me to my agent. I had Roadside Assistance added and had to have my car towed (wouldn't start). They informed me I had to pay the tow man and submit it for reimbursement. I called Mendota to find out where to send it. 3 days later I got a call from Mendota asking what the mechanic found, I said the starter was bad. I found out I had been given the wrong fax number but was assured the check would be sent. 30 days later...no check! I called and was told it was considered a "mechanical issue" and would not be reimbursed. MENDOTA GIVES INCORRECT AND/OR INCONSISTENT INFORMATION! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I was originally given a quote for liability insurance for $28.32 per month. Wow, that sounded awesome and could afford that, no problem! So I called and accepted this offer but when I asked about the total payment to get policy active I never got an answer. I asked for this total 4 more times and never got an answer. Finally when I called and said I was ready to make payment and begin the policy I was told my 1st payment would be $59.40. I made a payment of $60 and then they sent the documents via email and thinking that math didn't add up right. I saw a $25 policy fee was added on but was never informed of any fees.

Looking at future payment, my $28.32 had changed to $37.32 and each payment had a $3 fee attached. That was a lie and the next month when they sent the only monthly statement my charge went up to 42.32 and the fee was $9 per month and pay off was $180. I just got a notice that informed me my payoff is now $202 but didn't tell me what my next monthly payment. Almost forgot, there is also a $5 fee if you use a debit card but if you give them your banking accounts they will waive that fee. I will be calling the rep that signed me up but already know I will get his voice mail. They won't be getting any more money from me and if there is any legal action against this company you can believe I will sign up.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Let’s see where should I start. So I was covered my Mendota full coverage for both my vehicles. I got rear ended. I thought great at least I have insurance... wrong. I tried calling their 24 hour line and got nothing but the welcome message. I tried for hours to make a claim! So I waited till the morning to call. Well to my surprise I call the next morning to get told that my policy was cancelled due to non-payment. Never got a notice until it was too late. So I start going through my bank account. It was taken out. Now here is the funny thing I have a payment receipt. How is it right as I go to file a claim that very day my insurance got cancelled? I tried talking to the company and they were very rude about the whole situation. It looks like I am out that payment. This company has very poor customer service. They will cancel your policy as soon as someone hits you. I don't recommend anyone use them. They are a scam.

Mendota Auto Insurance Company Information