3.4/5 (125 ratings)

About Matrix Absence Management

Matrix Absence Management Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Matrix Absence Management?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

I needed medical treatment for a life-threatening condition, and STD benefits to pay for it. Matrix was unresponsive, unhelpful, neglectful and inconsistent with every representation of what they exist to do. Reps don’t return calls or respond to emails, paperwork isn’t sent or reviewed in a remotely timely manner, records are inaccurate, claims are denied without communication or reasoning, benefits are unpaid even when claims are approved, and there is absolutely no way to get advance guidance to try to reduce problems as things unfold. I was so frustrated in dealing with Matrix that I developed secondary health issues related to anxiety. I just don’t have words for how bad they are. And my inescapable conclusion is that this is exactly what my employer hired them to do.

They seem to exist to cull the herd and give companies cover for what is essentially discrimination against people with disabilities. It is shameful all the way around. I have never encountered a company as seemingly unprofessional as Matrix, but it does seem that in their actions, they are doing (or not doing) exactly what they are hired to do - all by doing nothing of what they actually promise to do. It makes me think twice about continuing employment with my company now that I’m back at work and in good health. I think less of my employer and distrust them as a result of my dealings with Matrix. (It would be impossible for me to think less of Matrix, but I am apparently required to give them a star.)

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

These people are set up to continually deny claims. After trying to locate my claims manager to verify all the information needed for my claim was submitted, she refused to communicate with me in a timely manner and failed to advise on the type of documentation needed for my claim to be approved, which resulted in the claim being denied! She was advised my healthcare provider is very slow, so I sent her the visit summary from my therapist. Once my medical provider sent the full medical records, she did not notify me they were password protected and the claim had been denied; then, when I sent her the full medical records that had been sent to me, she indicated the documents were the same as previously submitted and she would not submit the full medical records in direct violation with Matrix own compliance!

After escalating the issue to the claim's manager's manager, I sent the letter that my therapist wrote indicating the seriousness of my diagnosis, and they responded I needed to provide a psychiatric evaluation. This was after 39 days after the filing. They continually move the bar so that people aren't able to comply and get denied. It looks like they are asked to refer people to appeal, while disregarding all evidence.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I’ve been cycled through 4 claims managers, I had to go without paychecks for over a month because Matrix didn’t finish work on their end, didn’t communicate where they were in the process, they finally told me I was approved but then the next time I talked to them I was told I was almost approved. It have been over 3 months and I still haven’t received payment for my time off. I reached out to several people including supervisors and no one returns my calls, even the operator can’t get ahold of anyone to help. I can’t believe that this is ok, something needs to be done about companies like this.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Why do I need to download an app, give my medical information to a third party, and deal with filing claims when I know that I don't qualify for benefits in order to keep my job attendance record. I'd rather stick to the old school way of just bringing a doctor's note in but unfortunately companies like this are out to make money and save the company I work for money. You guys gave me an examiner who is on vacation when I have deadlines to meet. Latoya M. tells me I am eligible and denied in the same sentence! This process is distatesful and not in the benefit for someone who is sick to have to be responsible for. FMLA is a right that has been turned into profit. I am not gonna lose my job over this foolishness.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

This company needs to do an overhaul with how they handle claims and customers. If I could give it no star, I would. Like many of the reviews I have read, I am also experiencing a very difficult time communicating with my manager, making sure everything that is needed gets filed and followed up with. As being sick is already not frustrating as it is, this is even more frustrating. Haven’t been paid for over a month since being out due to starting dialysis treatment. And now my claim is pending denial because it is missing some pieces of information and not to mention the lack of communication. I feel bad for everyone who have to deal with the frustrations of the process because this is who your employer decided to work with. Good luck and God Bless.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Did everything on my end for applying for maternity leave, hardly ever heard from them and now I'm in my 6th week of leave, and still have not gotten paid. I had to use up a week of PTO in order to pay my bills. They are so bad at replying to emails too. I also requested 12 weeks cause I had twins, they had everything set up and then I get a phone call from them and they thought I only had 6 weeks off. I do not recommend going through this company.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

This level of fraud should be illegal! I am legitimately sick and can't work, potentially for years! I have multiple degrees, own 2 businesses, have 2 careers, and have worked my butt off and contributed my whole career! This company has ignored my calls and emails for 3 weeks now! This should be illegal!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Having a terrible experience with this company. At a time that I’m sick and feeling scared because I’m not working and receiving no income Matrix makes you feel less than. They do not communicate or answer emails. They do not send forms to doctors as they say they will. They leave myself and my physicians frustrated with the process. I’m sorry for anyone who has to deal with them. They need to explain how the process works and not just send stock emails out. They need compassion training.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

This company needs to do an overhaul with how they handle claims and customers. Like many of the reviews I read, I am also experiencing a very hard time communicating with my manager, making sure everything that is needed gets filed and follow up. I have to constantly email or call to find out anything and no one responds or responds in an untimely manner. I am sure they are busy, but if you are taking on this job, then handle your claims and responses correctly. Horrible, wish I didn't have to deal with Matrix but unfortunately it's who my employer uses.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Matrix needs review who and what they hire, M. ** is the worse, no communication, no phone calls back, always out of the office, sends confidential medical information to the wrong email address, after being told multiple times that she's been sending it to the wrong person. The lack of detail and compassion from a company is awful. I don't care how many times you call and leave a message its always the same thing I never got it, or you're forward to someone completely different to handle your claim. Not mention when they do call the bizarre hours they call you 6:30 AM, 6:15 AM. Other companies if you're thinking of hiring this company to handle your FMLA, think twice the place is a headache!

Matrix Absence Management Company Information