1.19/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

118 Matrix Absence Management Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have had the worst experience with Mary ** at Matrix. She’s beyond rude. She acts like she’s doing you a personal favor when it’s her job to help you. The supervisors take up for her. I asked for a different rep and they would not change her.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I've had the misfortune of having to deal with Matrix. What a nightmare! I took a month off work for stress and then I had to deal with these people. I have been back at work for two weeks and still no money has come in. I would call Matrix and leave a message, because the answer machine always said, "I _______am out of the office today, and I will return on the next business day.", then later on that day she would call back, leave me a message, I call her back immediately and get the same recording, day after day. The few times I actually did get to speak to her she would always tell me that the doctors office did not fax the proper papers back to her even though they had a confirmation fax. The whole process is awful!

Matrix needs to be invested. A class action lawsuit should be filed. They deliberately deny claims and say that the doctors office have not faxed documents to them yet. I was also told by the girl at Matrix that if I did not get the doctors office to fax the papers by Christmas Eve that I would be denied. This was on the Friday before and they closed at noon and did not open again till December 26th, so I just called my Human Resource Representative and had her get involved because I did not need this added stress. Does their fax even work??? I have been employed at my job for 37 years and have never needed Matrix before and hope I never need them again. This was a horrible experience.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have had the misfortune of having to use this company because my work uses them. I have used them unfortunately on many occasions and each time I get assigned the same agent. She is horrible, as stated in all the complaints, no communication. And when you do hear back it's always a denial or we need more or blah, blah, blah. They promise the moon and deliver NOTHING, nothing but grief and added stress that you don't need since you are already stressed and in pain and worrying about work and your job security. If you have to use this so called company, I feel for you and you have my sympathy.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've had the misfortune to having to deal with this joke of a so called business. I was trying to talk to this lady there I believe in the Phoenix Az. location named Alexandria **. First of all you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting these (people) to answer the phone, this is because they want to get you to record a message, obviously for some record of how you feel is in their pocket.

I got a message from this Alexandria person today, when I called her back it took a while but finally got to her, she was rude and you can tell when they talk they try and keep their part short, because their main deal is to record you. She said she would transfer my call but just sent me back to answering machine. After a while of trying I finally got back to her and barely got my name out and she hung up on me. Haven't been able to get through since. I'd sure like to know if there's a class action lawsuit for harassment and pain and suffering in the works against them. I suffer from severe depression, stress and panic attacks.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I became unexpectedly very ill over a year ago. It resulted in me being diagnosed with a serious chronic condition and I have been unable to work. Short-term Disability payments were a constant problem and they would say they didn’t get paperwork from my MD even though my MD would show me the fax confirmation. Once I switched from short-term to long-term Disability, they became a nightmare. I have had 6 different representatives and I had such a struggle with their lack of communication and always stating they needed more paperwork or didn’t receive the records that were definitely sent by my doctors. They called me last week and said I don’t qualify for LTD and they are stopping my payments. I’m very sick and unable to work.

They say that I had a pre-existing condition and that is completely untrue and not based on medical evidence. I don’t know who they have reviewing their eligibility for pre-existing conditions, but whomever it is, it's inept and doesn’t understand my condition. They said I can appeal, but that doesn’t help me and my two children I have complete custody of who I won’t be able to buy anything for Christmas. I’m definitely appealing and I’m obtaining an attorney. In addition, I will be reporting them to every possible agency I can to let companies know they are not a good company to contract with for employee benefits. I’m heartbroken and so tired of fighting against money-hungry insurance companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Matrix Absence Management?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

No stars! My internist ordered a 3-month leave. Each & every month more paperwork had to be reviewed and chart notes of my visits submitted. Month three paperwork was submitted on time. After many many emails, I was told my STD benefits were denied and “Hope you’re feeling better!” So snide. The reason for denial & paperwork for appeal hasn’t been sent and it’s been an entire month. Do I call an attorney now? Like others on this site, the doctor’s orders for time off are nearly over, and I haven’t been paid but have to return to work. In my experience, Matrix caused more unnecessary stress & anxiety, and made my recovery worse.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The paperwork is obviously difficult considering the fact that my doctor filled them out 7 different times before they were deemed “correct”. Denied my claim over paperwork confusion. It was just an overall negative experience. I almost lost my job trying to get the denial overturned. It was just terrible. Handling customers’ livelihood is not something that should be taken lightly, and I don’t think that they understand that. The process needs to be improved.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had to have surgery on my right rotator cuff, because it got to the point where I could barely even move my right arm. I had surgery on October 3rd, and they said they needed the operative notes to prove my surgery actually happened and was necessary. They received those, but only have me being paid for 5 of the 8 weeks my doctor told me I would need to be off of work. I called them 2 weeks ago to get an update, to see if they needed anything else. They said everything was good, and their team was reviewing the doctor's notes to determine if the additional 3 weeks off would be paid. I hadn't heard from them, so I called them yesterday to try to get an update. (by the way, the end of the 5 paid weeks is this Friday.)

They said they were still waiting to get notes from the doctor (which they had already told me they had), and that they had received an invoice for records request and I had to pay for it. I went into my doctor's office to pay for it, and they had no record of the charge. They said that's something that Matrix should pay. I called the 3rd party records release company, and they said Matrix pays that fee too. When I called my case rep Ethan, he said, "No, we don't ever pay that. It's in our contract. The patient pays for all records request fees." They're also saying they need to review if an implant that my surgeon put in my shoulder during the surgery was medically necessary, to determine if they will pay for my entire claim.

Are you serious?! If the surgeon did it during the surgery, it was because it was medically necessary to repair the tear in my shoulder. I fear the last 3 weeks of my claim will be denied, and I won't get all the payment I should. Also, when I called Ethan today to let him know I was told Matrix should be paying this fee, I asked how he was doing at the beginning of the conversation, as he had asked me how I was. His response was, "I'm really busy. I'm working on 4 other people's stuff right now." Well if he was so busy, why didn't he just let the call go to voicemail?

This is the first time I've called him and he's actually answered. I've always had to leave a voicemail, so that's what I was prepared to do. Don't answer the phone and then complain that you answered the phone. He is pretty good at returning voicemails, and that's what I was expecting to have to do. Just let me leave a voicemail, and when you have a moment, call or email me back. Don't complain because you decided to answer the phone.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I received excellent customer support from Long Term Disability (LTD) Claims Department Representative James **. I recently started receiving my LTD monthly payment after an extended hospital stay involving multiple open heart surgeries. Matrix sent me information on applying for Social Security Disability (SSD), and if I did not that it could result in a reduction in my monthly LTD Benefit. Unfortunately, I never received this correspondence because of my extended stay in the hospital recovering from these operations.

I contacted James **, and James took immediate action. He looked into my case, and agreed that because I was still in the Hospital, a Hardship Case was warranted. He took care of all of the paperwork, and was able to restore my monthly LTD Benefit until I was approved for my Social Security Disability Benefit. Thank you James for the excellent customer support, and removing the stress of this potential financial burden to my family! That was Excellent Customer Support!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

2nd time I used them for a car accident I was in the claim was approved. Three days later it was denied - THEY DIDN'T AGREE WITH MY DOCTOR. Now the days I missed are being counted against me and I'm being fired. I'm contacting an atty.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Been on leave since 9-21-18. All I get is deny or they did not receive it. Please don't use this company for anything. They just take your $$$ and that's it. The case worker Zack, was polite, but the service sucks! Waste of time and money. My company was good, until they let Matrix run our benefits. I see my job being sold or closing down in the future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

At first I had no complaints about Matrix. They seemed to be on the ball than I had to be out longer than the two weeks. They had me guess I would be out when I was in my hospital bed. Now it is no phone calls or emails answered. I got diagnosed with diverticulitis and for the past month it has been dr visits and tests. So this paperwork runaround they put you on is really driving me nuts.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

This company is stealing money from those companies who hire them. They ask for information in medical then deny on information they never asked for. Companies like Whirlpool offer this benefit to employees without disclosing that they will fight any to claim presented to them especially anything over 3 months... This should be illegal to take the people's paid policy money and deny deny deny!!! Awful this happens!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This company doesn’t deserve 1 star! They are a complete joke. They never answer your calls. Never return emails or messages (including management). They take their time paying you. They don’t communicate at all. They falsely give you information. They are demeaning and condescending. This is one of the worst companies. My employer should be ashamed for using their services.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This company is a joke! It is impossible to ever speak to someone. No one ever gives their extension. You are on hold for at least 45 minutes before operator picks up... Then transfers you to leave ANOTHER voicemail to the person you’ve been waiting for 3 weeks to call you back. You are screwed if you have to file a claim with this company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had to start a claim back in March and I was off work for medical issues and I was suppose to get paid every week and I waiting almost 2 month before my first paycheck. I been paid twice and I am fighting them for my last paycheck. They say waiting on documentation from my doc so I can get my last paycheck. It was back and forth... I went back to work July 9th 2018 and my last paycheck I got was on May 21st. And I'm still waiting to see if I'm going to get my last paycheck. It is so hard to know if I'm going to get it or not because it is really really hard to get someone on the phone... Matrix is absolutely a joke!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I initially submitted claim for a surgical procedure in June 2018. They initially needed documentation but failed to let me know that further documentation was needed. Instead it took another 4 weeks before I received a check. I am currently waiting for a decision because my doctor says I need to stay out until at least until my next appointment which is on the 18th. This has been the most stressful situation I have ever experienced. And it is so wrong on all levels for any company to put any person through this when they are recovering medically. I still have not been paid for over 2 weeks so far. I have placed in complaints at my HR department at my employment.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and put onto a new medication. Well the problem was my blood glucose was hanging out into the 300 range. Normal blood sugar is supposed to be between 70 - 180. Well my levels were so high I was having some health problems and I needed to go onto STD while the medication I was given helped to normalize my levels. Anthony with Matrix never mailed me anything or emailed me any information about needing to fill out additional paperwork.

The only reason I found out is because I checked the website to see what was going on since I hadn't heard from them at all since starting my claim. I opened my claim on July 8th and did not even get a phone call until I called him on the 19th at which point he informed me the FMLA was denied, but STD was still in process and still no answers about the paperwork packet that was showing needed to be done on the website. I had to go to the library and print out this packet because it was never mailed to me and it was a huge packet. I barely got the paperwork in by the deadline because I was never told about it.

Fast forward a little they get verbal confirmation from my doctor and the paperwork I signed. They approved the claim at that point. Shortly after that they back pedal and say that my doctor's information isn't sufficient enough because my appointment wasn't specifically for diabetes, even though it was explained I had an appointment with the specialist but they were scheduled over a month out. My doctor writes a letter that says he recommended I take the time off work due to my health issues, but Anthony says that it might not be enough.

Well fast forward I had my primary care release me back to work since my levels were better and I got bills to pay. I emailed Anthony from my work email and cc my HR manager and he starts back pedaling saying he did contact me and mailed the paper work. I offered to give him a copy of my phone records and the folder of paperwork which contains all of 2 letters one from the FMLA denial and one approving the claim initially. He has since stopped responding to my emails that I have my HR manager cc'd in. These guys are the worst company ever. They have no communication and purposely set you up to be denied.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I needed to be out from mid-July until Sept. 1st. Andrea Fuentes stated numerous times she didn’t receive paperwork from my doctor, even though my doctor assured me they’d faxed it. Once they finally decided to acknowledge receipt (on the last possible day I had to get it to them) she said she’d contact me by Friday to let me know of their “determination.” Friday came with zero communication, so I called her directly and got a voicemail that she was “out of the office.” Basically she just didn’t do her job by the time she said she would and wasn’t there on Friday to be held accountable for as much. So I left a voicemail and I get a call back on Monday (yesterday) advising me that my claim for disability required further investigation and OH BY THE WAY my first day back at work is today (the day I called).

When I explained this was absurdly short notice, she lied that she’d tried to reach me the prior week but my voicemail had not been set up. What an oddly convenient excuse considering I’d gotten numerous voicemails from everyone else that couldn’t reach me directly that week and even have a voicemail from her dating back to when I first called Matrix. Simply put, she just didn’t want to do her job and told a lie to get out of being held accountable. When I called her out for being dishonest she attempted to be condescending and rude by telling me I needed to contact my phone service provider. Unfortunately for her, condescension requires a modicum of intelligence and she’s in short supply of that, so she just came off like a lying child. Fortunately I’ve contacted my work and the adults have sorted everything out, Andrea. My condolences to anyone who ever has to deal with Matrix.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I began having to deal with Matrix back in October of 2017 when I started Short Term Disability. It's been a nightmare. Everything others have said in the reviews here are correct. They are extremely rude and unprofessional every single time you speak with someone. They are dishonest about receiving documents. They are extremely untimely in processing claims. They are dishonest about what information they tell you. They threaten to withhold benefits and discontinue benefits before your benefits ending date occurs. It's bad enough that you're out of work, stressing over your health and financial situation. Matrix just adds to your grief!!! They are awful.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have been on STD since April due to a breakdown because someone threatened to kill my mother. I am in intensive therapy weekly and I send over my paperwork diligently. This company has added to my stress by acting like they aren't receiving my Dr notes etc. Even my doctor noted that he has never seen anything like this. I don't understand why they just won't cut my check and do what's right.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I been out of work since June 1st 2018, due to maternity leave. They keep saying they don't have my medical papers faxed over for weeks now so I called them last week and the guy said that they had my papers and they are looking over it, but come to find out they still keep saying they don't have my papers and now my case being denied. I wish these folks would get it together.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Matrix Absence Management needs to be investigated and a class action lawsuit needs to be filed. They deliberately deny valid claims. The favorite line to delay your claim is they haven't received your documents from the doctors. This is very alarming. How can a large amount of people documents not received when the doctor office receives the final confirmation of the fax being successful.

There is a pattern here, I have been battling this illness for 10 years. Matrix has approved in the past as a disability and now it's not a disability. My illness qualify under ADA, their nurse who is not a doctor nor a specialist determines your illness, which I don't know how a nurse has more experience than a doctor and 2 specialist which is my case. I feel a RN doesn't have enough experience as a doctor and a specialist to determine someone illness, but again I was approved in the past for the same illness that was classified as a disability. Matrix didn't try to get the additional information from one of the specialist that was treating me; which that claim adjuster said they would to get a better understanding, she never followed through.

Verified by the doctor office, they never received a call or paperwork on evaluating my illness. They denied my specialist, the one they approved my disability in the past, who recommended a procedure that would have approved my health, they ignore his advice and failed to get the information from the doctor who was going to do the procedure. Matrix just discriminated against my illness, which causes me to be disable for periods of time. I have multiple doctors including specialists over the years that's been treating me for this issue. All doctors can't be wrong and blood work doesn't lie.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been suffering from an "unknown" condition- many tests, lots of waiting, tons of specialists, and finally a year and a half later I am closer than ever to a diagnosis. My relationship with Matrix has disappointed me beyond explanation. When my claims examiner needed any important or timed documents she failed to ensure we communicated regarding her needs. Ultimately my employer informed me of their needs, leading to write ups and near termination. When I questioned my examiner she became defensive & placed blame on me. It would be my hope that an absence management company had compassion toward the people they served.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have been out of work Since April. I have contacted my claims examiner several times and all I keep getting is my doctor's office hasn't faxed my forms and I have confirmation that my paperwork was faxed back to her. (Kaitlyn). I have emailed her several times and she has yet to email me back. I spoke with her almost 3 weeks ago and she told me she was waiting on me to fax documents and my pay would get started, I have yet seen any pay. This is not your money people. I will be contacting me a lawyer. It's lie after lie with her.

Original review: May 25, 2018

This company and its representatives lie, to try and keep from paying out the benefits that we as customers pay for. It's bad enough when you are injured and cannot work but even worse when the disability company cannot do their job. I did everything I was supposed to do on my end. I kept my claims examiner informed after every doctor's appointment and I stayed in contact with my Physician's assistant as to when she submitted my paperwork. Everything was done correctly and I have documentation to back this up.

My claims examiner dragged her feet extending my leave therefore I was not paid on time. Kathly ** was my Matrix Claims Examiner. Even though you are holding proof of confirmation of faxes being received they will lie and say they don't have them. They will ignore phone calls and emails as well to keep from paying you. I have contacted this business every day except weekends and I am going on five weeks without receiving my benefits.

Original review: May 8, 2018

This Company and its representatives lie, to try and keep from paying out the benefits that we as customers pay for. Even though you are holding proof of confirmation of faxes being received they will lie and say they don't have them. They will ignore phone calls and emails as well to keep from paying you. I have contacted this business every day except weekends and I am going on five weeks without receiving my benefits.

It is either lost faxes, lost emails, or you get voicemails when trying to call that say they are in a meeting or they are out for the Good Friday Holiday. Still no matter what time of day you call, Are they will ask you in an email for the contact info for your dr's etc. even though they just received all that information in an email you just sent and they confirmed they received in a reply email. If most of the customer service people out there acted in this manner they would not have a job. This is the lowest of the low trying to keep a benefit from someone who pays for that benefit.

Original review: April 15, 2018

My fiance was injured at home early in the year. It was several breaks in his leg. Because of location of the break, it was 12 weeks off work, as long as surgery wasn't required. If surgery had to happen, it was 36 weeks minimum. From the get-go, it was hassle after hassle. It was things like "your doctor failed to send the required documents." LIES!!! I watched the person at the orthopedic office fax the information to my Matrix consultant. I held copies of confirmation numbers FROM Matrix verifying that those documents had been received. Yet Nicole "rude attitude" ** was denying they had been sent. I don't know how many times, little nit-picky things like that was the reason we went without basics like food and water and electricity.

Not to mention that the 70% of our salary we are supposed to be getting is actually more like 30% of our salary. It's actually 20% of his monthly income (after taxes; net not gross). I don't know if anyone else got this impression, but I felt as if the Matrix employees were getting an incentive for finding reasons to deny claims. Considering it's a customer service industry, I never felt any empathy from a single Matrix "CSR". ANYTHING BUT CONCERN ACTUALLY. I felt like I was an inconvenient nuisance, when, in fact, my money, pays them for a service, and pays them to provide it.

I'm not expecting them to lick my boots, but is it too much to ask for them to do the service that should be required considering the position they hold in that industry? And to do it with a little compassion? That money is automatically withdrawn from OUR paychecks. The vast majority of the time they get paid. Now, they have to put all these stumbling blocks in the paths of the people who earns the money that's withdrawn automatically to them, when they need the help that withdrawn money should be paying for?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I was off work at the end of November for a week but didn't file with Matrix. Then I had symptoms flare up again the end of December. I had to get FMLA in order to keep my job. So I called right away to file. I explained that I had been off in November for the same thing & was sure I'd be off again for it. The girl that did my intake was really nice. Then I followed up with my Dr.'s office who had not gotten any info from Matrix. Matrix got a hold of me & said they had faxed my Dr. the info. I let Matrix know I had started seeing a specialist & was off again. Since I went back to work it didn't matter. They faxed the specialist the paperwork also & they sent back the week I was off for procedures. When I followed up with Matrix I was told my claim was denied because the dates didn't match.

When I asked why they said the specialist gave different dates & I explained because they gave the dates for the other claim I had to start because they messed up my intake & didn't do an intermittent leave. She then said my primary care Dr. sent the wrong dates too, according to my Dr. they never got paperwork. She read me the Dr.'s name & it wasn't even my Dr. She argued with me saying that was the info I gave but I haven't seen that Dr. in a long time. I argued on the phone with this lady from Matrix for awhile & she said this was all my responsibility to make sure it was done right.

I called Matrix on a Monday explaining everything on her voicemail & told her my Dr. was only in the office the next 2 days, she didn't call 'til Wednesday & said she'd resend the paperwork but would need it by Friday, even though I told her my Dr. was not there. She acted like that was my fault too. My Dr. already said they'd give me the time if they had the paperwork. I am probably going to lose my job & was shown no compassion. This place is a joke.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My last day worked was 10/27/17 and I had to fight with them and threaten to get the labor board involved after 6 weeks of no pay. Then they acted like they were doing me a favor by "rushing my claim" to get me a check before Christmas. The "nurse" that called me to review my claim was very difficult to understand, as she did not speak English very well. Communication was terrible, my examiner suddenly disappeared and I ended up working with someone else. Currently (January) I am still off work and they closed my claim because I worked a couple hours, so I am currently not even receiving short-term disability. Again no pay for a month.

Matrix Absence Management Company Information