1.18/5
Based on 107 reviews that contain star ratings

108 Matrix Absence Management Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Been on leave since 9-21-18. All I get is deny or they did not receive it. Please don't use this company for anything. They just take your $$$ and that's it. The case worker Zack, was polite, but the service sucks! Waste of time and money. My company was good, until they let Matrix run our benefits. I see my job being sold or closing down in the future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

At first I had no complaints about Matrix. They seemed to be on the ball than I had to be out longer than the two weeks. They had me guess I would be out when I was in my hospital bed. Now it is no phone calls or emails answered. I got diagnosed with diverticulitis and for the past month it has been dr visits and tests. So this paperwork runaround they put you on is really driving me nuts.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

This company is stealing money from those companies who hire them. They ask for information in medical then deny on information they never asked for. Companies like Whirlpool offer this benefit to employees without disclosing that they will fight any to claim presented to them especially anything over 3 months... This should be illegal to take the people's paid policy money and deny deny deny!!! Awful this happens!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This company doesn’t deserve 1 star! They are a complete joke. They never answer your calls. Never return emails or messages (including management). They take their time paying you. They don’t communicate at all. They falsely give you information. They are demeaning and condescending. This is one of the worst companies. My employer should be ashamed for using their services.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This company is a joke! It is impossible to ever speak to someone. No one ever gives their extension. You are on hold for at least 45 minutes before operator picks up... Then transfers you to leave ANOTHER voicemail to the person you’ve been waiting for 3 weeks to call you back. You are screwed if you have to file a claim with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Matrix Absence Management?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had to start a claim back in March and I was off work for medical issues and I was suppose to get paid every week and I waiting almost 2 month before my first paycheck. I been paid twice and I am fighting them for my last paycheck. They say waiting on documentation from my doc so I can get my last paycheck. It was back and forth... I went back to work July 9th 2018 and my last paycheck I got was on May 21st. And I'm still waiting to see if I'm going to get my last paycheck. It is so hard to know if I'm going to get it or not because it is really really hard to get someone on the phone... Matrix is absolutely a joke!!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I initially submitted claim for a surgical procedure in June 2018. They initially needed documentation but failed to let me know that further documentation was needed. Instead it took another 4 weeks before I received a check. I am currently waiting for a decision because my doctor says I need to stay out until at least until my next appointment which is on the 18th. This has been the most stressful situation I have ever experienced. And it is so wrong on all levels for any company to put any person through this when they are recovering medically. I still have not been paid for over 2 weeks so far. I have placed in complaints at my HR department at my employment.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and put onto a new medication. Well the problem was my blood glucose was hanging out into the 300 range. Normal blood sugar is supposed to be between 70 - 180. Well my levels were so high I was having some health problems and I needed to go onto STD while the medication I was given helped to normalize my levels. Anthony with Matrix never mailed me anything or emailed me any information about needing to fill out additional paperwork.

The only reason I found out is because I checked the website to see what was going on since I hadn't heard from them at all since starting my claim. I opened my claim on July 8th and did not even get a phone call until I called him on the 19th at which point he informed me the FMLA was denied, but STD was still in process and still no answers about the paperwork packet that was showing needed to be done on the website. I had to go to the library and print out this packet because it was never mailed to me and it was a huge packet. I barely got the paperwork in by the deadline because I was never told about it.

Fast forward a little they get verbal confirmation from my doctor and the paperwork I signed. They approved the claim at that point. Shortly after that they back pedal and say that my doctor's information isn't sufficient enough because my appointment wasn't specifically for diabetes, even though it was explained I had an appointment with the specialist but they were scheduled over a month out. My doctor writes a letter that says he recommended I take the time off work due to my health issues, but Anthony says that it might not be enough.

Well fast forward I had my primary care release me back to work since my levels were better and I got bills to pay. I emailed Anthony from my work email and cc my HR manager and he starts back pedaling saying he did contact me and mailed the paper work. I offered to give him a copy of my phone records and the folder of paperwork which contains all of 2 letters one from the FMLA denial and one approving the claim initially. He has since stopped responding to my emails that I have my HR manager cc'd in. These guys are the worst company ever. They have no communication and purposely set you up to be denied.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I needed to be out from mid-July until Sept. 1st. Andrea Fuentes stated numerous times she didn’t receive paperwork from my doctor, even though my doctor assured me they’d faxed it. Once they finally decided to acknowledge receipt (on the last possible day I had to get it to them) she said she’d contact me by Friday to let me know of their “determination.” Friday came with zero communication, so I called her directly and got a voicemail that she was “out of the office.” Basically she just didn’t do her job by the time she said she would and wasn’t there on Friday to be held accountable for as much. So I left a voicemail and I get a call back on Monday (yesterday) advising me that my claim for disability required further investigation and OH BY THE WAY my first day back at work is today (the day I called).

When I explained this was absurdly short notice, she lied that she’d tried to reach me the prior week but my voicemail had not been set up. What an oddly convenient excuse considering I’d gotten numerous voicemails from everyone else that couldn’t reach me directly that week and even have a voicemail from her dating back to when I first called Matrix. Simply put, she just didn’t want to do her job and told a lie to get out of being held accountable. When I called her out for being dishonest she attempted to be condescending and rude by telling me I needed to contact my phone service provider. Unfortunately for her, condescension requires a modicum of intelligence and she’s in short supply of that, so she just came off like a lying child. Fortunately I’ve contacted my work and the adults have sorted everything out, Andrea. My condolences to anyone who ever has to deal with Matrix.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I began having to deal with Matrix back in October of 2017 when I started Short Term Disability. It's been a nightmare. Everything others have said in the reviews here are correct. They are extremely rude and unprofessional every single time you speak with someone. They are dishonest about receiving documents. They are extremely untimely in processing claims. They are dishonest about what information they tell you. They threaten to withhold benefits and discontinue benefits before your benefits ending date occurs. It's bad enough that you're out of work, stressing over your health and financial situation. Matrix just adds to your grief!!! They are awful.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have been on STD since April due to a breakdown because someone threatened to kill my mother. I am in intensive therapy weekly and I send over my paperwork diligently. This company has added to my stress by acting like they aren't receiving my Dr notes etc. Even my doctor noted that he has never seen anything like this. I don't understand why they just won't cut my check and do what's right.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I been out of work since June 1st 2018, due to maternity leave. They keep saying they don't have my medical papers faxed over for weeks now so I called them last week and the guy said that they had my papers and they are looking over it, but come to find out they still keep saying they don't have my papers and now my case being denied. I wish these folks would get it together.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Matrix Absence Management needs to be investigated and a class action lawsuit needs to be filed. They deliberately deny valid claims. The favorite line to delay your claim is they haven't received your documents from the doctors. This is very alarming. How can a large amount of people documents not received when the doctor office receives the final confirmation of the fax being successful.

There is a pattern here, I have been battling this illness for 10 years. Matrix has approved in the past as a disability and now it's not a disability. My illness qualify under ADA, their nurse who is not a doctor nor a specialist determines your illness, which I don't know how a nurse has more experience than a doctor and 2 specialist which is my case. I feel a RN doesn't have enough experience as a doctor and a specialist to determine someone illness, but again I was approved in the past for the same illness that was classified as a disability. Matrix didn't try to get the additional information from one of the specialist that was treating me; which that claim adjuster said they would to get a better understanding, she never followed through.

Verified by the doctor office, they never received a call or paperwork on evaluating my illness. They denied my specialist, the one they approved my disability in the past, who recommended a procedure that would have approved my health, they ignore his advice and failed to get the information from the doctor who was going to do the procedure. Matrix just discriminated against my illness, which causes me to be disable for periods of time. I have multiple doctors including specialists over the years that's been treating me for this issue. All doctors can't be wrong and blood work doesn't lie.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been suffering from an "unknown" condition- many tests, lots of waiting, tons of specialists, and finally a year and a half later I am closer than ever to a diagnosis. My relationship with Matrix has disappointed me beyond explanation. When my claims examiner needed any important or timed documents she failed to ensure we communicated regarding her needs. Ultimately my employer informed me of their needs, leading to write ups and near termination. When I questioned my examiner she became defensive & placed blame on me. It would be my hope that an absence management company had compassion toward the people they served.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have been out of work Since April. I have contacted my claims examiner several times and all I keep getting is my doctor's office hasn't faxed my forms and I have confirmation that my paperwork was faxed back to her. (Kaitlyn). I have emailed her several times and she has yet to email me back. I spoke with her almost 3 weeks ago and she told me she was waiting on me to fax documents and my pay would get started, I have yet seen any pay. This is not your money people. I will be contacting me a lawyer. It's lie after lie with her.

Original review: May 25, 2018

This company and its representatives lie, to try and keep from paying out the benefits that we as customers pay for. It's bad enough when you are injured and cannot work but even worse when the disability company cannot do their job. I did everything I was supposed to do on my end. I kept my claims examiner informed after every doctor's appointment and I stayed in contact with my Physician's assistant as to when she submitted my paperwork. Everything was done correctly and I have documentation to back this up.

My claims examiner dragged her feet extending my leave therefore I was not paid on time. Kathly ** was my Matrix Claims Examiner. Even though you are holding proof of confirmation of faxes being received they will lie and say they don't have them. They will ignore phone calls and emails as well to keep from paying you. I have contacted this business every day except weekends and I am going on five weeks without receiving my benefits.

Original review: May 8, 2018

This Company and its representatives lie, to try and keep from paying out the benefits that we as customers pay for. Even though you are holding proof of confirmation of faxes being received they will lie and say they don't have them. They will ignore phone calls and emails as well to keep from paying you. I have contacted this business every day except weekends and I am going on five weeks without receiving my benefits.

It is either lost faxes, lost emails, or you get voicemails when trying to call that say they are in a meeting or they are out for the Good Friday Holiday. Still no matter what time of day you call, Are they will ask you in an email for the contact info for your dr's etc. even though they just received all that information in an email you just sent and they confirmed they received in a reply email. If most of the customer service people out there acted in this manner they would not have a job. This is the lowest of the low trying to keep a benefit from someone who pays for that benefit.

Original review: April 15, 2018

My fiance was injured at home early in the year. It was several breaks in his leg. Because of location of the break, it was 12 weeks off work, as long as surgery wasn't required. If surgery had to happen, it was 36 weeks minimum. From the get-go, it was hassle after hassle. It was things like "your doctor failed to send the required documents." LIES!!! I watched the person at the orthopedic office fax the information to my Matrix consultant. I held copies of confirmation numbers FROM Matrix verifying that those documents had been received. Yet Nicole "rude attitude" ** was denying they had been sent. I don't know how many times, little nit-picky things like that was the reason we went without basics like food and water and electricity.

Not to mention that the 70% of our salary we are supposed to be getting is actually more like 30% of our salary. It's actually 20% of his monthly income (after taxes; net not gross). I don't know if anyone else got this impression, but I felt as if the Matrix employees were getting an incentive for finding reasons to deny claims. Considering it's a customer service industry, I never felt any empathy from a single Matrix "CSR". ANYTHING BUT CONCERN ACTUALLY. I felt like I was an inconvenient nuisance, when, in fact, my money, pays them for a service, and pays them to provide it.

I'm not expecting them to lick my boots, but is it too much to ask for them to do the service that should be required considering the position they hold in that industry? And to do it with a little compassion? That money is automatically withdrawn from OUR paychecks. The vast majority of the time they get paid. Now, they have to put all these stumbling blocks in the paths of the people who earns the money that's withdrawn automatically to them, when they need the help that withdrawn money should be paying for?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I was off work at the end of November for a week but didn't file with Matrix. Then I had symptoms flare up again the end of December. I had to get FMLA in order to keep my job. So I called right away to file. I explained that I had been off in November for the same thing & was sure I'd be off again for it. The girl that did my intake was really nice. Then I followed up with my Dr.'s office who had not gotten any info from Matrix. Matrix got a hold of me & said they had faxed my Dr. the info. I let Matrix know I had started seeing a specialist & was off again. Since I went back to work it didn't matter. They faxed the specialist the paperwork also & they sent back the week I was off for procedures. When I followed up with Matrix I was told my claim was denied because the dates didn't match.

When I asked why they said the specialist gave different dates & I explained because they gave the dates for the other claim I had to start because they messed up my intake & didn't do an intermittent leave. She then said my primary care Dr. sent the wrong dates too, according to my Dr. they never got paperwork. She read me the Dr.'s name & it wasn't even my Dr. She argued with me saying that was the info I gave but I haven't seen that Dr. in a long time. I argued on the phone with this lady from Matrix for awhile & she said this was all my responsibility to make sure it was done right.

I called Matrix on a Monday explaining everything on her voicemail & told her my Dr. was only in the office the next 2 days, she didn't call 'til Wednesday & said she'd resend the paperwork but would need it by Friday, even though I told her my Dr. was not there. She acted like that was my fault too. My Dr. already said they'd give me the time if they had the paperwork. I am probably going to lose my job & was shown no compassion. This place is a joke.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My last day worked was 10/27/17 and I had to fight with them and threaten to get the labor board involved after 6 weeks of no pay. Then they acted like they were doing me a favor by "rushing my claim" to get me a check before Christmas. The "nurse" that called me to review my claim was very difficult to understand, as she did not speak English very well. Communication was terrible, my examiner suddenly disappeared and I ended up working with someone else. Currently (January) I am still off work and they closed my claim because I worked a couple hours, so I am currently not even receiving short-term disability. Again no pay for a month.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I don't understand how these crooks continue to stay in business. If you don't know what 'Bad Faith' is when it comes to insurance companies, do yourself a big favor and look it up. This company operates in bad faith. I filed a claim in August of 2017. It's now December and they have yet to finish my claim. They purposely delay your claim by, failing to reply to phone calls and emails, if they do reply to an email, they will purposely send it to the wrong email address, further delaying your claim. Or send you the wrong forms to complete, or request an absurd amount of evidence from your Dr., in an attempt to further delay your claim. Something has to be done about this insurance company and their unethical practices. They have an F rating on the BBC and a 1.2 of 5 rating. That's terrible! I will be writing a letter to my congressman in regards to Matrix Absence Management. And seeking the services of an attorney.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My last day to work was 8/23/2017. I have Parkinson's. I filed a claim for Short Term Disability (STD) and it was approved so I got paid for about 12 weeks and should have been 26 weeks, Matrix denied my claim after those 12 weeks’ pay telling me that they did not get proper documentation from my Neurologist. My Dr. office said they sent them all the info they needed so this went on for a few weeks and Matrix finally denied my claim and will not pay my other 14 weeks. I am entitled to 6 months STD thru my employer, I have since been approved for SSDI benefits so I can’t get STD for Nov but they owe me for part of August and all of Sept and Oct. Do I have any recourse to get this money that I am owed?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I am writing on behalf of a person who was injured on the job at Lake Elsinore Ford. She was immediately treated like a pariah by both the employer and Matrix. She did not break any bones but suffered a crush injury to her hip that caused the employer to eventually fire her - and later, a repair surgery was performed @ $35,000 which drove us into bankruptcy.

I accompanied my wife on EVERY doctor visit - she was unable to drive herself although she had competently drove trucks at the auto dealership where she worked. The employer refused or ignored any type of employee counseling or assistance while she was suffering agonizing debilitating pain. Her other injuries were herniated discs in her upper back (thoracic), and lumbar region.

Because of her multiple injuries, she was unable to find suitable alternate work, and we lost our house in a foreclosure. She was always in pain and walked with a gimpy stride, could not climb stairs, and was uncomfortable sitting, lying down, or while in motion. We had to do some searching to find other victims of Matrix, some family members of people whom Matrix refused to help and whose pain was so unbearable that they took their own lives.

Yes, Matrix denied suffering people to the extent that they killed themselves. Matrix is an evil company making tons of money based on the suffering left in their wake. People like Governor Schwarzenegger and other investors in this type of insurance company make tons of money based on the suffering of little people unable or not equipped to fight back, like my wife and I.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I get short term long term disability through my work and I have recently had to go on medical leave for short term disability. Contact Matrix absence management in September. It is now November and I still haven't received anything because they keep saying that the doctor's office is not sending the fax or they just haven't received any emails or fax and the doctor's office has repeatedly sent these emails and fax to the point they are so aggravated and I am too. I'm a single mother and this is how they treat their customers. It's ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I went on long-term disability, I receive 1 payment, sent to an address I have not lived at for 7 years (they had current address). It has been a fight to get them to pay, they have lied so much, I don't believe they know the truth. I am hoping to set up a lawsuit against them and others that have paid into this company for years only to be denied because the reps lie, lose information, twist information. If you have had problems we need to get together for justice.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Don't waste your time with these incompetent, money hungry idiots! GET AN ATTORNEY! I relate to many of you. Believe me. Despite complying with the barrage of paperwork they sent me, there was always something mysteriously missing, something else required of me; in addition to Matrix saying my doctors never sent documents, so I missed deadlines. Which was a lie! I called all 10 of my physicians to verify. How is it statistically possible to have 10 doctors IGNORE request to submit (any) medical records to this unethical/poor business practice: RELIANCE / MATRIX?

They denied my LTD compensation for severe, life-threatening/chronic illness, ignore all of my physicians' diagnoses/prognoses. They don't return phone calls (FYI: do not call - email EVERYTHING so you have proof/documentation of communications, requests, questions, concerns, etc!); they don't return e-mails. Their goal = continue making $, having total disregard for those whom are severely ill/disabled and have lost everything - career, enjoyment of life (and income)!

Original review: June 1, 2017

I wished that I had read these reviews and I would not be in the situation that I am in at this time. This company also stopped paying me on the first appointment day after having a total knee replacement. To top it all off, I was not notified that I needed to get all of the surgery and office records before I would be approved to continue with payments. It now has been 3 weeks since I have received a check and all of my bills are coming due. I'm also unable to walk very far and need to drive to physical therapy and MD appointments with no money to even buy gas or groceries. These people do not care and do not do their job. They list on their website that they are responsible for contacting the client's MD for office records, which never happened for me until I called 3 times over 2 days.

When Erica called me back from Matrix, she was not friendly and stated that she would send my MD's office a request for records, which I reiterate is now about 3 weeks. Everyone is correct to say that being disabled and recovering from surgery is hard enough, much less having to do the job of calling or personally obtaining your own medical records. My employer uses the company and I have no choice in this matter.

Original review: May 24, 2017

In 2014 I lost my mom in May, my right leg in August and my beloved job in October. I was a nurse and the facility couldn't use a one-legged nurse. I have LTD through Matrix and I have not had any of the problems that others seem to have. It may be that my claims person, Camella, is just that good or since my claim goes through the New York office I don't know. There was one time that my check did not come and Camella overnighted my check to me. No problems, no hassles.

Original review: May 1, 2017

As the other Consumer, it's bad enough being out of work and having to make ends meet with what little money you get from the insurance but when they don't do their job and you have no check coming in it really makes things harder. It's going on 2 weeks with no check. My Claim officer put stop on the day of appointment??? Even though I wasn't even able to walk and she knew this, so I guess she thought I could go back to work without walking. Anyway here I sit late on bills due to MATRIX Disability Insurance. Why don't they do their job??

Original review: March 24, 2017

It's bad enough when you are injured and cannot work but even worse when the disability company cannot do their job. I did everything I was supposed to do on my end. I kept my claims examiner informed after every doctor's appointment and I stayed in contact with my Physician's assistant as to when she submitted my paperwork. Everything was done correctly and I have documentation to back this up. My claims examiner dragged her feet extending my leave therefore I was not paid on time. Erika ** was my Matrix Claims Examiner.

Matrix Absence Management Company Information