Matrix Absence Management

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My company which I will not name unfortunately uses Matrix as the vendor to handle disability claims. I'm currently out of work on a valid leave due to a medical emergency in July. Enter Matrix to handle my claim. I'm going to keep this short as I'm going to deal with this through my HR dept and the individual that works directly with Matrix but suffice to say they are horrible. From the get go they have been terrible. They never sent the paperwork to me as they said they would and lied about sending it to my doctor. By the time I got it myself and had my doctor complete it they were about to deny my claim. Then it took 8 weeks to get a check and that was 5, weeks ago. Since then no money.

I've been trying to deal with the rep but he's very difficult to get ahold of. Says he's "swamped". Called his manager. No callback. He's also rather rude, interruptive and tries to make like the communication problem is mine. Not a chance. Every review I've read about this company has the same theme. They are rude, they do not tell the truth and try to make the claimants feel like they've done something wrong. Can't understand why any reputable company uses this sorry excuse for a vendor. Absolutely horrible.

You have to stay on them all the time. They never call you until you call them. Had to have paperwork from them to get my money and to return to work. It took me getting angry to get an response. And I had a claims manager.

Matrix Absence Management is the company that handles my husband's employees LTD compensation. They are horribly rude, they will not return phone calls at all. You can leave numerous messages and they just ignore them. Depend solely on voice mail as a means of business operation. One representative will tell you one thing and a second will tell you something completely different. You cannot trust anything you are told. Case managers are constantly in meetings or out of the office. Nothing is done in a timely manner. They act as though they don't care because it doesn't affect them. Our creditors are screaming for payment and we can't get an honest answer as to when my husbands LTD payment will arrive. It's been four weeks with no income in our home and they could care less.

I am receiving long term disability from the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. I have only one complaint about the bank. I was misinformed about whether or not another retirement would offset my disability payments. The misinformation was unintentional. I was told my other retirement would not offset my disability payments. The person assumed I was already receiving those retirement payments and I was not. When I drew my retirement my disability payments were reduced by $19K a year and I had to pay back $8K. Since I am no longer employed by the Fed I had no access to the policy and was not provided a copy when I asked for it. As for my experience with Matrix Management it has been a nightmare. I have had 3 case. I would lose benefits if the that managers, the first of which was a condescending rude and intimidating attack dog.

When I complained about her to HR at the Fed, one of her direct reports became my case manager. He was only slightly better. All of the conversations were recorded and it was obvious he was being cautious about what he said and how he said it. But he also was condescending and threatening by constantly reminding me that my benefits would be canceled if the medical records they requested were not received by their deadline. I now have a third case manager and have found her to be polite, non-threatening and helpful. Matrix sends the requests for records. Then they almost immediately send a follow-up request for more information, doubling their chances that someone will fail to meet their deadline and lose their disability benefits.

HIPAA Breach - Matrix and their subcontractor, MES, have been sending my private medical to a former lawyer of four years. I have at that time hired a new lawyer which removed the original esquire. Anyhow, I have now received two letters (6/21/2016 & 7/11/2016) of very private health information that was also forwarded to the former attorney. Matrix' resolve was that they contacted their sub- and that all has been erased as of today... I then said how do I know what was sent to the former lawyer as they "assured" all was corrected. Really?

As they are harassing me to attend "Phase #2" of an IME which I struggle to get to in any situation via car, they are also denying me my correct salary although I have it as received by my former job. "I was terminated for following doctors' orders." Too many to list about Matrix and their procedures as they harass, with tone, condescending, and although I have expressed a conflict of schedule, they are persistent which will now most likely require a lawyer. I was a 9/11 1st responder and have a serious amount of illnesses that just keep coming... and my words of distress and anxiety only make them more forceful to their than to my health conditions. I apologize, my cognitive skills are fading at this point, eyes are getting blurry...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Matrix Absence Management?

I feel so bad for those who needed the long-term disability. I only needed the short-term while I went through physical therapy and waited for a relatively simple modification at my work. I was denied BOTH despite multiple doctors notes so I ended up working through the pain and it was excruciating at times. I could only handle part-time so I lost thousands of dollars in income. Months later, my work eventually gave in and made the requested modification but by then the pain had become pretty much chronic. I may have ruined that body part for the sake of keeping a job. I did look for other jobs during that time but didn't get any bites.

I don't know which Matrix office I was dealing with because I'm in California and I used the 800 number. I dealt with several of them. The rep named Laura ** was particularly vicious. She used anger and lots of sarcasm to try to intimidate me. She accused me of just being lazy and of having ulterior motives. To be spoken to this way when you are desperate to the point of crying every night and in a panic over what to do is the most despicable thing. Another one, Theodora **, deliberately put her own spin on my doctor's request and claimed that her substitute advice to my company was the same as what the doctor wanted. It was not remotely the same. My doctor worked so hard trying to help me get through to them. My advice is to get copies of everything your doctor writes because Matrix will make things up. You can't prove them wrong unless you have your doctor's words on paper right in front of you.

Check out Matrix employee reviews of their own company on Glass Door. There is one that states: "If you enjoy denying hard working honest employees of their benefits then this is the company for you. Matrix works hard to deny workers compensation, short and long term disability, return-to-work services, personal/family leave (FMLA) programs to deserving employees." That is verbatim. They also say, Matrix work ethic and motto is to say NO to clients. The reviewer here on Consumer Affairs who called them morally repugnant - no truer words have ever been said. I believe there is a special place in Hell for Matrix employees. Also, you might want to take a good look at the company you work for because there is a reason why they hired Matrix.

I've read a lot of reviews... understandably they deal with monetary issues. My friend committed suicide, my mom got sick and my kitchen flooded badly all within 2 months. I'm still amazed that I didn't get electrocuted from the flood, it mainly pooled within my kitchen fluorescent light system and electrical appliances. I worked for an airline from home... I broke down. They were pushing more work on less people (like so many other companies). The stress was unbelievable. This was probably the 3rd request I'd made for FMLA but it was definitely the oddest. They asked my neighbor (who the airlines knew I was having huge dog barking issues with) to "watch" me as well as 2 other neighbors... which is so creepy. Who asks neighbors to spy? And how do I know this?

The irony is, the gentleman who came to get the mold and asbestos readings after the flood from his little machine chatted with me while he collected the reading. I happened to mention Matrix and I can't tell you how wide his eyes became. He said he had worked for them for many years and his wife still does. He said he used to work in the "field", investigating the legitimacy of claims. He said with a mental breakdown, that it would be rare for my claim to be looked into. Well, apparently it wasn't that rare. To try to make a long story short, they somehow or someone was granted access inside my rental condominium. My journals were read, papers and receipts were gone through... photographs. I'm a female who lives alone and as crazy as this story sounds, it happened. They do it. That was absolutely confirmed to me.

My car as well. I went to an AA meeting one time, was absolutely followed in, observed. He observed my car from peering inside the windows at the belongings inside. It absolutely happened and only once again reflects the strong prejudice of mental health issues and illnesses and how those people are treated so very menial by so many entities... from employers to agencies to well... morons like Matrix Absence Management. I am not trying to invoke worry in anyone, but some of these 'wish I were a sheriff'' investigators will go to great lengths to provide proof that your claim is fraudulent. I feel that they would be much more effective as a mall cop, chasing skate boarders out of the parking lot. Because let's face it that is pretty much the extent of their training and expertise.

And in regards to money, I had some money saved and did not wish to be paid. I received a check for approximately 240 dollars and immediately called Matrix, telling them that since this was an extended FMLA, I didn't feel comfortable cashing it. She said I absolutely should. As soon as possible. Wish I wouldn't have. They obtained all my banking records from BOFA after that. I'm sure they were thrilled with my trips to Safeway, CVS or an occasional vegan burrito from Senor Taco. If I were nasty and classless, I would call them the nastiest name in the book, but I've let it go now. Sometimes (always) things happen for a reason. There is more to this story but hopefully you get the gist. They are creeps and any company that uses them should be aware of the problems by this point and, quite frankly, ashamed of themselves.

And if that company employs a management company such as well for instance let's say Aon Hewitt to try to clean up their mess and the mess grows much bigger well, as a company I would rethink my choice of the company that oversees absence management as well as the management company that oversees HR and medical issues related to Matrix. It's called CYA tho and I think that would be a good acronym for many corporations (especially in the medical field) these days.

When a previous employee of Matrix tells me about their shady tactics and why he chose a new profession... I tend to buy his story. Especially when I lived this nightmare (Nov 2014) to present day. And I'm not even employed with the airline anymore! I hope my post has emphasized the fact that they really will go to great lengths to investigate and insist negligent behavior to the point of complete harassment and privacy invasion. Good luck, everyone. They are truly rotten to the core.

HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! EMPLOYERS SHOULD NOT RETAIN SERVICES THROUGH RELIANCE STANDARD & ANY EMPLOYER HAVING RELIANCE STANDARD FOR ITS EMPLOYEES. SHOULD TERMINATE THEIR "SERVICES" (if that's what you can refer it as because they don't provide a service - only lies, stall tactics, poor business practices.)

If you're thinking of obtaining your own policy through RELIANCE STANDARD, RUN! FAST! VERY FAST! I don't even want to give "one star" above because they don't deserve any recognition, any frickin' stars! At least RELIANCE STANDARD can have the courtesy to return a claimant's telephone calls, e-mails - ANY correspondence, not ignore them (us/ME!). Unprofessional! Unfair! Nothing but a fraudulent business that needs to be held accountable, in COURT, for their unethical, unfair, and unjust business practices.

I have 10 specialty care physicians - all stating I am permanently and totally disabled with a LIFE-THREATENING ILLNESS & EARLY DEMISE (and I am only 48 years old). And even more stressful and taxing on my overall mental and physical condition, I've undergone 2 surgeries in the past 3 months and 2 other procedures the past couple of years.

I even threw away a career which I worked and trained very hard, having earned 2 Masters Degrees and a Ph.D. - all thrown away. And RELIANCE STANDARD thinks I prefer being ill, out of work and broke??? Thankfully and my being very grateful, the U.S. Dept of Education (Federal Student Loan Dept) even discharged my student loan debt of $190,000 because of my severe, life-threatening (very well documented and substantiated by medical providers) illness - further validating the seriousness of my illness and that I deserve (earned) my Long-Term Disability Insurance, through RELIANCE STANDARD! I even had my Social Security Disability approved in less than 40 days! I even received Short Term Disability by the State of California - approved in less than 40 days!

Applied (February 2016) and waited, and waited to RELIANCE STANDARD, after my having to voluntarily resign from my employer and having to "go out" on FMLA (September 11, 2015). Then, receive (only) e-mails from RELIANCE STANDARD, "blah-blah-blah, everything is a go". Then, a month later from RELIANCE STANDARD, "oh, we need more documents". And, "your doctors never sent in the required paperwork". I contacted ALL 10 of my doctors - personally and over the telephone. Each doctor said they never received any paper work to be completed, by RELIANCE STANDARD. I knew RELIANCE STANDARD was lying, and I knew my physicians - ALL 10 of them could not have possible screwed up, forgot, or failed to send my much-needed documents to RELIANCE STANDARD!

I e-mail and e-mail and call RELIANCE STANDARD; NO RETURN e-mails or NO RETURN telephone calls to me, whatsoever from RELIANCE STANDARD. More so leading me on, causing me stress - further negatively impacting my overall health condition, I receive notice May 2016 that "everything has been approved - be on the lookout for a live check in the mail". Today (June 19, 2016) marks 45 days of NO WORD, NO CALLS, NO MAIL, and worse - NO CHECK since I was "approved" for LTD compensation OVER A MONTH AGO!

As of this year my company chose Matrix to handle our FMLA and disability claims. I have had to deal with them now 2 times for medical reasons and both times it was the most horrible experience. The automated messages back to back, the inability to get a hold of examiners, their lack of compassion for the individual, it is all just very upsetting and disappointing. I spoke with a supervisor who claimed she was going to get to the bottom of things but when it was all said and done information she gave us was not true at all. I don't know how I'm going to deal with them this go round but I am determined not to let it stress me out so thank you for this forum to express how I feel, I wish you all the best.

Matrix is the provider of choice by my employer to manage short term disability benefits. As such, they are managed in such a way as to delay payments and mishandle claims of applicants. They are almost impossible to reach, you are given a 'case handler', but they are constantly changed. Any calls go directly to voicemail. I received numerous voicemails stating my physician had not faxed paperwork and therefore I would not receive a paycheck. My physician was repeatedly send different types of forms to complete, in different formats, asking for same information.

No matter what my doctor faxed, Matrix always threatened me with letters stating more information was required, such as confidential and unnecessary test results. On several occasions, a Matrix representative was aggressively insulting to me, entirely unprofessional behavior. I believe Matrix employs these practices clearly in benefit of the corporate employer. If so, shame on them and moreover the corporate employer.

This is the absolute hardest company I have ever had to deal with. They are extremely difficult to get a hold of. Every time I call, I have a different claims examiner. I have had to leave a message every time, and they rarely even call back. The first time someone called back was after I filled out a bad survey online. The second was after I went on and filed a new claim because my existing claim was supposed to have been extended but hadn't been a month later.

They keep claiming they are not receiving faxes from my doctor when I have seen the doctor's fax confirmations. Then once they finally receive them, they always ask for more information. I am out for maternity leave and complications both before and after pregnancy. Working in the healthcare field I feel that it should be a simple case. It is terrible to think that we pay money for short term disability and they obviously try every way possible to get out of giving you your money. It has now been almost 2 months that my claim was supposed to have been extended and I haven't received a check in that time.

There is reason to believe this business deals in dishonesty. They are rude, difficult to contact, do what they can to stall a leave request, blame the doctor for not submitting paperwork to Matrix and there is reason to believe Matrix changes the parameters of the doctor's orders to benefit Matrix and the employer they represent. All of the leave papers are typed with no handwritten signature from the doctor. How does one know who even typed the doctor's name on the signature line?

Matrix seems as if they're in business to hurt already suffering people. Where are their medical professionals? Why does a claimant have to deal with general office workers who may know little to nothing about medical conditions? They don't even have the demographic information correct on the new form submitted several says ago. It's just astounding how one calls the intake center, provides updated information during the process only to have a document with old and inaccurate information on the form sent out. It is a sacrilege the way claimants are treated by Matrix and the claimant's employer! How do these people sleep at night?

At every turn, I was belittled, spoken rudely to, and fought for everything. They kept saying my paperwork was not received, or was misplaced. I was switched back and forth to two different people, When They Were There! I got a couple checks, extremely late, and then block wall after block wall. I'm owed a lot of money, My Money I Contributed To! I really wish there was a lawyer I could get help from, or a Class Action Lawsuit against this company so I could get the money I'm due. I've been disabled since 2013, I was told if I was completely disabled my benefits would continue for two years, so much for that.

I am highly impressed with how this company has dealt with my claim. From my first phone call, I had an intelligent English speaking representative. They have contacted me numerous times and kept in touch with my progress. No stress during a stressful process. Very helpful.

My name is Daniel! I work for Owens-Illinois that hired Matrix to handle short term disabilities! I have been off work for six months! I have got two checks -- one was for two weeks the next one was for two months! The company has refused to pay the remaining three and half months unless I release all my medical records! I have seen a total of six doctors and they all agree on diagnosis and that I should be off work! After investigating company I found out they also handle workman's comp. They want my medical records to build a case against paying workman's comp! The company is a total joke and if I could give them minus star rating I would!

I wrote a review several months ago about this company when they were handling my Short Term Disability. Now the very same company is in charge of my Long Term Disability (sending me countless letters demanding the very same information I provided to them ever since April 2015). I worked so hard my employer (PHH Mortgage) only to be released 1 day before I had back surgery. I am Perm disabled and have not been paid since October. Both companies are disgraceful.

My husband had to have CABG (open heart surgery) 2 weeks ago and is going to be out of work through the rest of this month and next month. We were told on Monday that he had 2 checks issued and they would be mailed the following day (Tuesday). Well, it is now Saturday and his checks STILL have not arrived! I was informed that the checks are mailed from Pennsylvania. We live in Maine, also on the east coast, so those checks DEFINITELY should have been here by now. My husband and I are relying on these checks while he is out of work to pay our bills, not to mention pay for the medications that he needs to be on, which he is about to run out of.

His claims examiner couldn't even tell us if his checks would be mailed on the same day each week. This company has totally left us hanging when we desperately need these funds. I can't pay all of the bills on my income alone, so we are depending on this checks to get to us and in a timely manner. What are we supposed to do when he runs out of his medications today??? How are we supposed to buy groceries and feed our pets??? This company is a complete JOKE!!! You can't even view or track your checks on their website!

I have been on my job 22 years and have always paid into short term/long term disability. I have been out of work for 4 months and still excuses as to why I haven't received a check. My company uses matrix absent management for disability claims. These people are the worst. No matter how much medical records you supply them with it's never enough or they haven't received although I have confirmation as proof. This is so unfair especially when you're sick and this something you paid into just to have people rob you of your money with no intentions of ever letting you utilize the services you paid for to protect you in unforeseen emergency illnesses.

I had two miscarriages within a 3 month period last year. When I contacted Matrix to see what my options were regarding taking some time to heal the examiner was incredibly rude and demeaning. I get it - you're a man and think that I should just get over it. But it's not for you to judge me or treat my case according to your "opinion" of my situation. It's difficult to get a call back from them, even after leaving multiple messages. They are so unprofessional and uncaring. I hate that have to use this service for my maternity leave this year.

My kidneys went out in March 2007. The employer I worked for was Maverick Tube (now known as Tenaris). The health insurance they offered came through Matrix Absence Management. My benefits started in 2007 with the short term then a six month wait with no benefits until in my long term kicked in then finally total disability started. My complaint is that I have received the same pay for eight (8) years without any cost of living increase or earnings. Everything goes up daily; food, clothes, gas, personal items, cable bill, rent, etc. How does a person suppose to make it when everything is going up and people working getting minimum wages at least get a cost of living increase yearly. M A M states that the employer sets up the policy but eight years of receiving the same exact little monthly income should be against the law.

I just want to agree all the others that have had such a problem with Matrix. I've been off work due to a car accident where my car was totaled from back and front. I lost my job, everything. All I have is problems getting money myself or my company paid for through my job! I am so tried to do everything they have asked me to do. My pain management doctor is so tired of Matrix they don't even want to send them anything anymore. They said I quit my job when I never said I quit my job. I just couldn't do my job and since my accident which was August of 2014 I am still going months and months with no money!!! I don't know what else to do.

I have had nothing but difficulty since becoming disabled. Matrix only have added to my already difficulties accepting my health problem. That are not or helpful. I been switch to several examiner doing my process. They give you the run constantly, no one nothing. All that they want is find ways not to pay you. I have totally humiliated and frustrated. I feel like I'm begging for something my employer paid for the employees. But what a joke - never returns calls. I pretty much wish my job would have never dealt with them. Please employers research your disabilities company before choosing for your hardworking employees PLEASE. No payments for months or phone call or letters.

I am threatened with discontinuation of my benefits in nearly every conversation, then the Rep. says "I'm not threatening you". Also, my check is now several days late every month. It's horrible. I'm sorry but the identification data I supplied here is false because I am afraid of repercussions from Matrix.

Matrix has a reputation among my co-workers for consistently losing paperwork, not being able to find faxes even when sent to multiple numbers several times or otherwise being routed incorrectly internally. Due to this history I insisted last month that my paperwork be done by email so no one would have to worry about mysteriously missing faxes. This worked at first but now they are once again denying having receipt of the information, more than a month after they received it.

Once again, now that my stress level is back to normal--they have managed to raise it again by denying my claim for lack of documentation. It is incomprehensible to me why I should have to babysit the ever-changing stream of claims examiners. It appears to be common practice to make things as muddy as possible regarding who to contact and how to reach them. Being denied medical leave for a day that I took off due to stress after being sexually attacked in my own home means I am now subject to termination. I am actually leaving my employer, in part, because they do business with Matrix. I will never work for a company again who uses their services.

Matrix and its representatives need training. No one at the company knows what they are doing starting with Bill ** ext **. Totally good for nothing, he never answers his phone and refuses to confirm receipt of even basic documents.

My representative was out of the office most times I would call. When they would request documentation they would not send HIPPA documentation this slowed everything down. I had back injuries but ended up having to go to the hospital myself and pay even more out of pocket to fax medical records. Finally got approved and now I am almost another month in and my "check is in the mail". I wish these people would realize we are only contacting in dire circumstances. The lax manner in which they get help to you is in danger of costing us our mortgage and utilities. Not to mention the amassing medical bills. Very angry, disappointed, and sad.

I worked for 40 years at my employment, had long term disability ever since they offer it. I became disabled. It was the worse experience that I have ever went through trying to get my claim. They cut me off after two years. I would not recommend this insurance to anyone. Invest your money in other thing, not Matrix.

I am having the same issues as the others. Matrix blames everyone else. I was told 3 months ago they have the documents they need after a major injury. Now for 2 weeks I am getting jacked on my pay. When I contacted them it took 5 days to get any feedback and now it is my fault they do not have the documents. Matrix has caused undue stress and hardship after an accident. Like others here, they do not talk to each other or do anything to file the claim. I must always triple check them and even that doesn't help.

I have been on leave twice and both times, it has taken over 4 months to get payment from them. They never answer the phone and the people within the company don't even communicate with each. All they do is have me chase my tail and send my stress level through the roof! I truly believe they are encouraged to delay payment and close claims. I spoke to the business office for my Dr, and they said that Matrix is one of the worst companies that they have to deal with.

Matrix has held my LTD claim in review since January 2015. I have not received a payment since January 2015. They intentionally keep your claim in review and their claims processors will not answer the phone or return phone calls. Meanwhile, my bills are still due.

Matrix Absence Management Company Profile