1.2/5 (177 ratings)

About Matrix Absence Management

Matrix Absence Management Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Matrix Absence Management?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Matrix Absence Management?

Original review: March 1, 2022

I am a COVID longhauler. Matrix refused to approve my claim because of a "lack of objective test results". As anyone in health care knows, most of the damage caused by COVID is impossible to image or measure. They have given benefits to some of my coworkers who have also had all of their tests come back in the normal range, but they had COVID several months after I did.

Don't do business with Matrix. They make their claimants submit the same paperwork several times, they won't get back to you when you have questions, they lose your paperwork, and say it is your fault, then they deny your claim because they feel they know more about your health than your doctors know. More than one doctor has told them that I am having difficulty breathing. They believe the problem with my lungs is due to the small nerves in my lungs - nerves that are too small to image. So, how could anyone in my situation provide objective proof of a cause? And why do they pick and choose who they will help and who they won't? Keep your employees happy and find a company that doesn't discriminate to handle your claims.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

This is the worst experience I’ve ever had. Submitted a claim, no one reached back to me after 8 business days. I worked through a mouth infection, due to worries about losing my job. I was told now I will not get paid because I logged in off and on. They will do all they can to not pay you. I was told they would contact my job to secure it, another week has passed, nothing. Every employee I work with that used Matrix has same complaints. One coworker went right back to work after hysterectomy due to fear of losing job, from no contact from Matrix. Corporations need to take a close look at this company.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I am writing this review as both a sick employee and HR professional. I have never in my career experienced a worse disability vendor and it is horrible that you have to deal with them at your rock bottom just trying to get your bills paid. I am sick with multiple health issues and had documentation and clinical notes sent to them from 5 different doctors including my test results, scans, etc. Essentially I have a tumor, I can’t see, I can’t stand and I can’t focus and I sleep all day because of a health issue I have which was clearly documented by all these doctors and yet they denied my claim after taking forever to get back to me. They actually put the wrong fax number on their forms they give to doctors all of my doctors said and we think it’s because they want to be able to say they never received it and deny your claim.

When you’re already so stressed about your health and life to be dealing with this and the coordination of all this paperwork and constant follow up and fighting is egregious and they want you to just give up, roll over and take it, unfortunately NY state only pays you $170 a week for disability which is not at all enough to live on.

I have worked in HR for over 12 years and I have to say that to use this vendor in the midst of a pandemic and The Great Resignation is basically telling your people to leave. They remember how you treat them at critical life moments like this wand no one chooses to get sick. After talking to my HR network about my experience they’re all staying away from this company because it’s been so poorly managed.

I highly recommend to not proceed with this company as your disability vendor if you are involved in choosing a vendor- your benefits team will be dealing with sick employees who are being denied their pay and you won’t have any recourse to help them. If you have any questions or would like further details please don’t hesitate to contact me as it is my sincere hope that nobody has to go through what I’ve been through with this company over the last couple of months and has caused me even greater trauma at my rock bottom. I am now pursuing an attorney to get me the money I’m owed so that I don’t go into bankruptcy.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Been trying to get someone like my case worker on the phone since end of December with no luck. Then 5 days before my deadline which was 2 months after I gave them paperwork no one had been trying to contact me. Finally I get an email for the application for extras which I get back within days of receiving it. Tried to contact a manager with no luck. All I can say is good luck talking to the individual who was assigned to your case. After my deadline for paperwork my status finally says pending instead of implementation, next I'm waiting for them to deny since they took so long to get me the paperwork I needed to complete my application properly. If you have an HR department have them contact for you because that will be the only way to have someone from Matrix contact you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I've been on STD since Aug due to an unexpected medical emergency. I have had 2 major surgeries and was admitted to the hospital twice for 2 weeks at a time (4 total). I lost 50 lb and had 4 specialists actively working on my case. I've submitted over 130 pages of health records and fulfilled every request for additional information. Yet, my payments are ALWAYS late. I have gone without any income several times. I've had to use credit cards for basic needs just to get by. This is unacceptable!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

All business processes seem to be broken or not thought through whatsoever. Was assigned to an account manager who was on 'indefinite leave'. A lot of my time was wasted emailing this person and waiting for a reply. Once you're in the system there is no other option but to interact with an embarrassingly bad chat bot (customer service ph numbers not shared within the website) that if you try different combinations of different answers eventually comes to the conclusion that you need to speak to 'an actual human being'.... Then generates a phone number that reads "undefined". Did internet research to try to get other phone numbers. Couldn't get through on other phone numbers I tried. I later found out from an internal HR associate this company is indeed a real company (was worried at one point my information was compromised due to the website experience being so poor).

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Avoid working for any company that uses this company at all costs. I was put on medical leave back in November 2021 due to a high risk pregnancy. I gave birth, called them to file my claim, I have been fighting with my claims agent for nearly two months to get him to do his job himself. I am continuously told by him that he hasn't received my paperwork from my doctor's office, when I have done everything short of physically handing it to him myself in his office. This "company" is a joke. Each of the "agents" expect you to do their job for them. He waited a full three weeks to tell me that my claim was denied by e-mail. I never received a phone call. Unprofessional doesn't even begin to describe this company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

My worker and the company is 100% a joke. Was put off work for 10 days by doctor and have been waiting 4 weeks to return and was told I can’t due to my restrictions. My worker submitted the wrong paperwork twice too then submitted it to the wrong hr twice. Been in the phone everyday trying to get answers and for some reason they either won’t return my calls, don’t answer the phone or tell me, 'We’re waiting for hr get it together." The absolutely worst company I have ever experienced. “Great satisfaction” my **. They are the worst.

Resolution response: Dec. 16, 2021

The company didn't come to "solve a resolution" about my review. However, I said I would update when I was done. And I have to say, I got on here, saw a lot of bad reviews, so I assumed I have the same experience. I wanted to come on here and give a fair review now that it's over. The company was good. The complaints I had in my initial post came out reading other reviews and being in a rush. I realized they deal with a lot of people and that's why they can't be on demand every second. However, at the end of the day I can say I was satisfied with their services.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

All I can say at the moment is avoid Matrix Absence at all cost. They have a 1 star review for a reason. Never answer calls, get back to you in a timely fashion, etc... I will update when my experience is over. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

I came to look and see if anyone else was having the same issue, and it looks like I’m sadly not the only one. To begin with, Matrix requests for forms and documents to be either uploaded on their app or faxed. Their app will not let you upload anything. So here in 2021, I hunted down a fax machine and faxed 20+ pages, for $25, with confirmation it went through.

I have emailed my worker through the app, hit and miss if it actually goes through, to confirm that my information from myself and provider were received and advised if I was needing anything further to let me know and I’d send it immediately. I never got a direct response, only generic letters via email. I was approved for FMLA and it all seemed to have been straight and complete, also received first payment direct deposited. Well, now I get a letter, on Thanksgiving, that they are missing items (nothing specifically listed), and informed that if not received that I could be terminated under my company’s absentee policy. Excuse me, WHAT?! Day after thanksgiving I was not paid!!! Single mom of 3 here, and did not get paid during the worst possible time. I will be heading to the Dept of Labor and the Texas Workforce Commission first thing Monday morning to report this. NOT the type of company and communication that anyone off on FMLA needs.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

This company has the worst employees you ever had to deal, they lie telling you they didn't get paperwork, or didn't get it on time or it was incomplete, and you correct the problem you still didn't do something right, then you don't hear from them, they are I can get every employee at my location who had to deal with these people and they would say they had similar problems with them, it was the biggest mistake XPO LOGISTICS ever did to their employees who they claim they care so much about, so if anyone's company have them or thinking about getting them, come together and plead with them not to do it.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I am so frustrated. I have been trying to get ahold of someone regarding a bill I just received from a claim from a year and a half ago. No one will call me back. I call nearly every day and cannot speak with a claims manager. I cannot afford the bill and it should have been covered in my L&I claim, but now they state I went to the ER too late after my claim was filed. I went the same exact day that I filed my claim, so that is untrue. I will keep calling to see if I can get ahold of someone I guess. So disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

My worker is incompetent!! I have not had a paycheck in two weeks and I will not get one next week either due to my worker. She’s lazy and she tells lies. I informed her that I will be taking another 30 days so my doctor faxed over the paperwork. She claims she’s never got it but never called to tell me this so all that time I’m thinking everything was ok. I call her while I’m at the doctor's office and ask her to fax the paperwork while I’m there and she tells me, "Oh it’s going to take them an hour to get it because they have to sort through something." (IDK) So I asked the nurse if this was true. She said, "No. As soon as the paperwork is faxed we get it." I’ve been on short-term disability since July 19th and every week my paycheck is either not there or something happens or it’s not the right amount. I’m sick of them. Hopefully I never have to use them again.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I am on medical leave due to covid. I have asthma or was diagnosed with asthma so I can't work at the moment because covid affected my body really bad. I never can't never can't get a hold of them. I leave several messages to my Examiner and emails. They sent me a letter through my email about they need medical certification on the 7th of September and the letter said my deadline to turn paperwork in on 2nd of September. My deadline for my claim is the 12th of September. Something have to get done or I will take further actions. The representative are really nice and helpful but the examiners need to do better by reaching out.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

This company is the worse. They take their sweet time to do things and delay payments. I have been assigned to agent Tikia ** and it only took her over a month to start sending my disability payments. Now I have been waiting for over 2 weeks for the paid family leave, and all she does is say her supervisor is working on it. I don’t understand how they’re still in business and why we are forced to go through them.

Original review: July 31, 2021

While the "high and mighty" V***** K***** sat in her HOME while she/Matrix made me go to the doctor at the height of the Covid outbreak and I got Covid!! After almost 17 years you would think they could wait but instead they used Covid to try to get rid of me! When I got Covid I was so freaking sick for 3 weeks it looked like I was going to die but I made it through. Then V***** called me at 5:30 pm December 31st to tell me I would no longer be getting disability? She & her company are MONSTERS, how & why are questions I have to hire an attorney to find out. Someday Karma will catch up with you, I don't know how V***** could look herself in the mirror, I really don't, a true MONSTER!

Original review: July 30, 2021

I heard nothing from my claims examiner for four months other than an occasional stock letter. One day he called me out of the blue and informed me my claim was denied and closed effective immediately because a medical provider hadn't sent him records. I checked with the medical provider, the medical provider's copy service, and even Matrix's own document retrieval service and they all confirmed the records request had been fulfilled. Absolutely insane.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Thought things couldn’t get more stressful after my daughter's liver and kidneys failed but boy was I wrong. Not only did my claims manager not process my paperwork in time, but also never returned my calls.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I am off with stress related illnesses. All they did was try to deny my claim with each review! Some of my symptoms and my condition worsened, but my time is up and I have to return to work! This company is EVIL!!! These people are soooo unbelievably awful!!!! What does it take??? Does someone have to die or commit suicide??? I don’t even think they will care then! How do they live with themselves??? How do they sleep at night???

Original review: June 24, 2021

We have been battling to get a claim completed for months. Our rep doesn't return calls and is not clear on what is needed or not needed to get issue resolved. Very poor customer service from this rep.

Original review: June 12, 2021

This company is horrible, nobody contacts you when they are suppose to. They ignore everything you tell them when you have issues getting paid or anything else. They blame everyone else for their mess-ups. Don't know why my employer Kimberly Clark supports this company. Everyone at my company has had issues with this company.

Original review: May 21, 2021

My company hires Matrix to manage absence and disability pay. I have been out with a torn Achilles tendon nearly 2 months. Not only have they obstructed my disability pay, they have denied my family leave right. This is one of the most evil companies I have ever encountered. Keep a crucifix and garlic handy if you deal with them.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I had a stroke back in July, and Matrix wasted no time in making the experience unbearable. My neurologist said, "You need 6 months of no work, no stress, etc. to recover," and Matrix saw it fit to say "There is no reason Nick can't physically do his job, so paid disability is denied". My job is in the tech industry and it's nonstop stress. I tried to come back to work early because I couldn't just not be paid, but my company as well as doctors said, "Please don't." Stress can cause further damage and regression while recovering from a stroke and this job probably would have killed me.

Being told over and over by Matrix that I was fine was brutal, I finally had my neurologist speak with them directly and they had the balls to say "We're not suggesting he return to work before you clear it as being safe" but literally they were. I had a meeting with the exec at my company that works with these vendors and she's going to review everything and probably move away from Matrix. Matrix is a horrible company full of awful people. I really hope no one else gets the treatment I got.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I was in a very serious ATV accident back in 2004 and Matrix Absence Management was my disability provider. I have been disabled for almost 17 years and I received a call at 5:30 pm New Years Eve day from a "VeeDis" saying "I would no longer be receiving benefits"!! I about fainted! I had received a letter from Reliant Standard Life Insurance (the actual provider) stating "I have been approved for benefits until I was 65" and then got the call. They DEMANDED I to go the doctor and get this then get that 1 week to 10 days after the Covid-19 hit! I got Covid and was sick for over 3 weeks and still they denied my benefits! Read the reviews and see for yourself, mine is just one of the many, many stories about matrix absence management and their parent company reliant standard life insurance. Do yourself a favor and beware of their methods of kicking you off disability no matter how badly you are hurt!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Please do not sign your company up with this service. You will NOT have a positive experience. It is literally impossible to get anyone on the phone. Each time I call I go straight to voicemail. If the issue is time sensitive and you are dealing with this company you are SOL.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I was put on medical leave by my doctor on 9/4/2020 by my doctor to treat several ongoing issues over the last year. I was contacted by Matrix and was told I would be paid under short term disability a benefit of my plan. I have sent papers to support this repeatedly to my examiner. They don`t respond to voicemail or emails you are dropping information into a black hole. My provider also sent a CD to corroborate my medical issues and they say no one has it. Then, on Wednesday I receive a call saying they are going to deny my claim. My plan states illness or injury, not a third party determining my medical issues. It would be nice to know who gave the right to act as God and throw me under the bus to mitigate their liability,

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

TJ Phelps is worthless. Submitted my claim, never called me once. Had to call my HR numerous times and tell them I could not get a response. 15 minutes later I would get an email from him. Lazy and worthless. Submitted numbers to call and fax the doctor as they requested. They did neither and then they lied to me telling me my Dr would not respond and want me to do their job for them. When I ask for times and who they spoke to they finally admitted to not calling anybody.

My claim went through and was approved no thanks to anyone there. If you are a garbage company that does not want to pay workmen's comp these are the guys for you. If you care about your employees or don’t want to get sued stay away from this fly by night company. If you are unfortunate enough to have to deal with these worthless human beings, document everything and report them to your state’s bureau of insurance then contact an attorney. They are so shady that there is a settlement in there somewhere.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I have sustained injury while at work and my company set my claim with Matrix. Carrie ** Claims Adjuster did everything she could do deny my claim. Very disappointing experience. See you Carrie in the court.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I got hurt at work and was unfortunately stuck with this company and this adjuster from hell. Cindy ** was the rudest and most unprofessional claims examiner in the world. She cut me off my benefits without even giving me notice. She never would answer calls or emails for weeks. I had to chase her to get my check and to get my therapy approved. Then one random day she had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to buy from her catalog of homemade glassware as she has a side business called Creative Chaos. When I politely declined from then on she was so nasty to me and my family. I wish my company received a better claims adjuster. Cindy ** was the absolute pits.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I have been off work since July 20th, 2020 due to a medical issue. I had sent everything in and everything was received almost a month ago and still no response. I have called and I've emailed and even went through different representatives trying to get help and no one seems to care. This company is a joke.

Matrix Absence Management Company Information