1.32/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

formerly Assurant

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Stage 3b cancer. Need several surgeries, multiple rounds of chemo, radiation, more surgery, etc. They approved my short term disability, but now that doctor put me on LTD, they suddenly don't have any of my medical records. You know, the ones they used to approve my short term. My rep got rude with me when I asked when will I receive an approval. I am paying for Cobra and no income. It's been in their court for months, yet they can't get their information together.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Sunlife just as any insurance company will deny you if you have a sneezing attack saying you have asthma. I wanted a little bit more on the short term disability and wanted long term disability but they denied both. Unless you are healthy and young, don't bother wasting YOUR hard earned money on this company. As with the thousands of 1 star reviews, they are not a good company to deal with. They are a scam!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I have read all the horrible reviews and I personally have experienced the exact same horrible issues everyone else has. One or two people saying they're horrible is one thing but having 98% of their clients terribly dissatisfied is another. I just thought that my case worker (Anita) was mentally handicapped and I was unlucky to be assigned to her because of her incompetence but apparently everyone there will lie to you, lose your paperwork, send faxes to the wrong doctors, stall tactics and try to starve you out waiting on your benefit check. They never waited on or missed a payment from me. I have to call them everyday to make sure that they are doing their job. That's probably the worst part of post surgery and recovery when you add all the stress they cause. We should all get together on a class action lawsuit and force them to be accountable for their actions.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

They are the ABSOLUTE worse. The worse. I have a chronic, potentially fatal disease that has landed me in the hospital twice since diagnosis. It is a very rare disease with only 2% of the world having it. And while my specialist, PCP, head of HR and boss all agreed I needed to be on short term disability they denied me time and again because they’ve never seen my disease nor did they understand it. It took numerous letters from my doctors, all my records, etc. and they still denied. They only approved once my HR department got into it after I said I was getting an attorney. I didn’t get. Paycheck for three months while they were “reviewing” my case. My case worker NEVER called and updated me. I had to call them.

They called the wrong phone number numerous Times (supposedly) and my doctor had to fax my information over several times because they “never got the information” from them. I finally had to email my case worker the information before they finally “received” it. Their customer service is horrible. If I had a choice I would never use them. I would never recommend them to anyone and if I could give them zero stars, I would.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance is a scam. They take forever to process your claim and won't contact you. They even put down an old phone number from a previous state we'd lived in and called it instead of the phone number on the application. They are liars. They give you the run around. They take your money and deny you your disability. My husband was admitted to the hospital for stroke range blood pressure due to the racial discrimination and hostile work environment at his job. He has been on FLMA and applied for short-term disability. He has been seeing a counselor and placed on blood pressure medication. He was also diagnosed with acute traumatic stress disorder which is a precursor to PSTD. They flat out denied him, trying to send him back to a hostile work place environment. Do not use this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I went out on FMLA for a total hysterectomy due to an on going medical condition. My Dr. put me out for 8 weeks of recovery time. I got paid from Sun Life for 2 1/2 weeks. The rep told me even though I had a major surgery I should have been back to work within a month. Despite being on pain meds, having internal stitches and barely can sit up for a long period of time. They feel since I have a sit down job I should be working and not out for a month. Then asked me do I think I need more time to be out and kept asking how I was feeling. Why ask how I'm feeling and see if I need more time if you won't pay me since you think I should have went right back after surgery. How can you tell me how long I should be out if my medical Dr. assigned me a certain amount of time. I will be appealing this claim. Terrible and horrible company! Would recommend to no one.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Horrible Horrible Horrible! They take around the world and again. I heard from the person in charge of my claim once in the whole 2 months. They come up with some ridiculous ways to not approve you. Just really Horrible service. They need 0 stars not even one.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Sun Life Financial is the life insurance provider through my workplace. Have been trying to get supplemental life insurance for many months and they keep dropping the ball and never activating my coverage. I have submitted all evidence of insurability but they can't seem to get things working. Always wait on hold for 15 minutes trying to reach customer service. Terrible experience, terrible company.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Wife had an abscess, filed claim for coverage before Thanksgiving. Waited until after New Year’s when abscess broke into nasal cavity. Emergency procedure denied! Oral surgeon couldn’t get anyone on the phone for review. This isn’t insurance, it’s a death panel!

Original review: June 6, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. Company is taking 2 months just to get paperwork that has been sent 7 times. They kept saying that it was never received frustrating my Dr. office and my job. If given a choice please don’t choose Sun Life.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance expert review by Joseph Burns

Sun Life Financial offers long-term and short-term disability insurance in addition to its many different benefits packages. This disability insurance helps you keep getting paid in the event that a disability prevents you from performing duties at work.

• Critical illness benefits: Sun Life allows claimants to collect an additional payment if they’ve suffered from illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure or trauma resulting in paralysis.

• Retirement savings: A disability shouldn’t have to affect your plans for the future. Users can use Sun Life’s program to contribute to a retirement savings plan.

• Employee assistance program: Sun Life offers access to a counseling and referral service in the event of legal or financial concerns.

• Medical supplement: Sun Life helps users maintain their medical coverage by paying up to a preset amount towards their medical insurance premiums.

• Activities of daily living: Sun Life offers an Activities of Daily Living Benefit, which increases disability income in the event of a severe disability, in order to supplement the costs that claimants frequently incur.

• Best for: people who have been injured, severely disabled, or suffered from a critical illness.

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
      Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Company Information