formerly Assurant

3.9/5 (148 ratings)

About Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance?

Original review: June 9, 2022

If I could give zero stars I would...I was told that my claim would be approved and all of my paperwork is in order...My claims agent Mathew stated he would be sending an approval letter via email....Lies...He not only lied once but twice....I will be in dire straits before I receive the first payment from my short term disability claim. ...This company stinks... I am very disappointed in my employer for choosing to do business with Sun Life...They could care less about their employees...I am going to ring the alarm....Horrible....Horrible ....Company.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I was injured at work and filed a claim, it took 4 months for them to process it and another six more to get paid. My claim became long term at six months, that's when they disappeared. Emails bounced back, waited on hold for hours, letters returned. Today, after four years of trying to get through I did. They claimed my case was denied by my doctor, the same doctor who approved my disability pension and workers compensation for the same injury. After telling them that, they said, well your payments from us would have been reduced by your pension and workers comp. Even if it was approved I would get nothing. I paid over ten dollars a week for that insurance, why?

The worst part is the representative telling me we have been on contact, and we haven't. Not an email, phone call, text or snail mail. My mail and emails all came back. Yet, they say my case is still open five years post injury. I estimate I paid them 7000 just for long term disability (which btw they only pay 2 years after you are disabled) and when I became disabled I got zero. Don't waste your money on this insurance. They need to be investigated.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I have been trying to talk to the health insurance for several days. Each time I wait for hours, get transferred to another department, wait and advised to call another day another time another number but despite following that advice I am still waiting for hours, get transferred and told to call another time. Unacceptable to be treated that way for something that is supposed to take a few minutes....

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE - You have been warned. Total bunch of crooks, and should be banned. I asked to move my funds from them to another provider and it took over 6 months (in comparison I also transferred other funds from another company at the same time and it was one form and 6 weeks to get my money from the other company) with Sun Life it was over 40 emails, 18 phone calls, and around 14 forms. They claimed they had lost some of my forms, and refused to accept them via email and insist they had to be posted but then never posted the ones they had lost, then other forms they said after 6 weeks from them receiving them that they were not filled out correctly?

I then sent them the same forms again (filled out exactly same way) and then they accept them. They tried every delaying tactic in the book, and used ever means possible to make what should have been a simple transfer the most painful transfer I have ever experienced. Their staff say they will call you back, and never do, they also say things and then deny they said them. They lie and basically do not want to give your money back or transfer it. Added to this they then charged my over £950 in admin fees, but I also transferred my wife's fund at the same time, and they charged nothing for her fund to be transferred (even though the whole process took the same delayed time and same amount of unnecessary forms from Sun Life).

One of the last forms they said I had failed to sign (but they never actually issued it to me until the week before the transfer) it was a 32 page scaring letter saying how bad it was to transfer money from them and that my investment was at risk (even though it was being transferred to another financial institution with better performance, and also customer service). The whole 32 page document was designed to scare you that you would lose all your money if you left them.

I am considering issuing legal action against them for the delays and loss of investment potential as if I had received the funds in the usual 6 week time frame rather than 6 months the money could have been invested elsewhere and I could have received a substantial gain. Not to mention the unauthorized and unagreed admin fee of £950 they took at the end (and never mentioned it at any other time). Total bunch of dodgy characters not fit to manage your investment and future. Whatever you do in life DO NOT USE these bunch dodgy characters.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I’m an insurance agent. My wife insurance through her employer and Sun Life will fight you tooth and nail not to pay you. They denied her short term disability, they are fighting for accident plan. Had to go through hoops just for them to receive paperwork. We been transferred to different departments even though we ask for the legacy department when we call. We upload stuff through the portal and receive an email confirmation but they said they never received it. We email it over. Now we have to prove we pay for accident plan. We send paycheck stub where it shows it’s taken out but they didn’t believe that so we had to go through employer so it’s been a nightmare. I sell insurance and never seen this before. Please stay away from Sun Life.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

This provider has hidden practices that allows for them to not payout claims. The staff is rude and continually tries to pressure you into investing money with them. I would not waste my time with this company or trust them with my money. They don't care about the client's needs or well being, they only want your money. A true greed based company.

Original review: April 29, 2021

My daughter was killed last year. I've been very depressed, not able to sleep, anxiety, etc. I tried to go back to work, but I couldn't function. My psychiatrist took me out of work again. My claim was denied bc my psychiatrist named some of the same diagnosis (plus new diagnosis). They denied my claim. They said I couldn't have the same diagnosis from my first claim. Well, I've never lost a child before last year. They have you to get all of that paperwork filled out, just to deny you!! They are trained to say "NO"!!

Original review: April 27, 2021

10/5/2020, underwent bi-lateral total knee replacement surgery. After experiencing delay in STD benefits, reached out to customer service, after lengthy "on hold" period, was told they never received.

Original review: March 11, 2021

An estimate is submitted to Sun Life, they could not find the paperwork; Although the paperwork shows up numerous times on the app/website, but their client services person could not find it on their end; then they forget to submit it to the claims department; Then they need additional information which was already sent to them; In summary, If you are looking for a friendly, customer services oriented health insurance company, stop by somewhere else or have the lowest expectation from Sun Life.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I have had a retirement plan with Sun Life Financial for a couple of years. I've since moved on from my employer and am trying to move the funds to another investment provider. Not only is the process excruciatingly slow, the fund has really started to lose money. Every week they make me wait I'm losing about 1% of the value of the fund. They take forever to respond to questions and don't help if you make mistakes on the paperwork. Avoid this company even if your employer is vouching for them.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance author review by Joseph Burns

Sun Life Financial offers long-term and short-term disability insurance in addition to its many different benefits packages. This disability insurance helps you keep getting paid in the event that a disability prevents you from performing duties at work.

• Critical illness benefits: Sun Life allows claimants to collect an additional payment if they’ve suffered from illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure or trauma resulting in paralysis.

• Retirement savings: A disability shouldn’t have to affect your plans for the future. Users can use Sun Life’s program to contribute to a retirement savings plan.

• Employee assistance program: Sun Life offers access to a counseling and referral service in the event of legal or financial concerns.

• Medical supplement: Sun Life helps users maintain their medical coverage by paying up to a preset amount towards their medical insurance premiums.

• Activities of daily living: Sun Life offers an Activities of Daily Living Benefit, which increases disability income in the event of a severe disability, in order to supplement the costs that claimants frequently incur.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Company Information