1.38/5

formerly Assurant

40 Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I went out on FMLA for a total hysterectomy due to an on going medical condition. My Dr. put me out for 8 weeks of recovery time. I got paid from Sun Life for 2 1/2 weeks. The rep told me even though I had a major surgery I should have been back to work within a month. Despite being on pain meds, having internal stitches and barely can sit up for a long period of time. They feel since I have a sit down job I should be working and not out for a month. Then asked me do I think I need more time to be out and kept asking how I was feeling. Why ask how I'm feeling and see if I need more time if you won't pay me since you think I should have went right back after surgery. How can you tell me how long I should be out if my medical Dr. assigned me a certain amount of time. I will be appealing this claim. Terrible and horrible company! Would recommend to no one.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Horrible Horrible Horrible! They take around the world and again. I heard from the person in charge of my claim once in the whole 2 months. They come up with some ridiculous ways to not approve you. Just really Horrible service. They need 0 stars not even one.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Sun Life Financial is the life insurance provider through my workplace. Have been trying to get supplemental life insurance for many months and they keep dropping the ball and never activating my coverage. I have submitted all evidence of insurability but they can't seem to get things working. Always wait on hold for 15 minutes trying to reach customer service. Terrible experience, terrible company.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Wife had an abscess, filed claim for coverage before Thanksgiving. Waited until after New Year’s when abscess broke into nasal cavity. Emergency procedure denied! Oral surgeon couldn’t get anyone on the phone for review. This isn’t insurance, it’s a death panel!

Original review: June 6, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. Company is taking 2 months just to get paperwork that has been sent 7 times. They kept saying that it was never received frustrating my Dr. office and my job. If given a choice please don’t choose Sun Life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance?

Original review: April 17, 2019

This insurer is recognized by most suppliers. The certificate/policy number can be retained on file by the service providers we use so payments are processed online quickly and deposited directly to our bank/credit union without having to fill in forms, mail, etc. If a form and receipt are required, these can be submitted electronically to avoid the printing, copying, mailing process.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I was recently on a FMLA leave due to stress, anxiety and health issues. My leave was approved and then doctor submitted for me to go back to work but with intermittence leave.. Was approved until May 2019. Due to reactions to medications I was have issues with ability to do my daily task. Took off more days in intermittence leave. Had my doctor fax multiple times paper work and the now saying denied...It's pending. Waiting paper work...Its take 5 business days.. This has been ongoing for almost a month. How to do approve leave and then try to adjust it.. With my doctors giving you the proof. I can end up losing my job due to their ways of doing the jobs.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Sunlife Financial is only there to protect employers from granting FMLA to qualified employees. They use stall tactics such as delaying paperwork, claiming paperwork faxed over weeks without it ever reaching its destination, and the most clever of all is using a call center where no one ever takes responsibility for stalling and blocking. These people seem very skilled at stalling until one has to cancel scheduled surgeries/procedures due to the never ending "pending" status. This company should be investigated and prosecuted for blocking FMLA claims.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My husband is very ill. He has Neurocognitive deficits and memory problems. He can longer do the high stress job of an Interventional Radiology Technologist. He did this for 30 years. They approved his claim for disability. But it is only 7 months after the initial review and they are doing another. The started the day after Thanksgiving ending on 12/26/2018. Holiday time real nice time for a review, NOT. This review was a nightmare.

They harassed us and his providers. They received the records requested from all providers within 2 weeks of requesting them. But they kept calling, writing threatening letters, to us and the providers saying they did not have the records when it was already proved that they did. Threatening to cut my Husband off because they did not have the records when they actually did. When the Sun Life rep called on the 6th anniversary of my son’s death to harass me about records she already had, she actually laughed about the death of my son. These people are not human. His providers have expressed to me they felt harassed by them.

They deal with many disability companies and said they have never been treated this way. Also, my husband was approved for SSDI on the first time and got a big check at the beginning of December. Most people have to appeal. It was because I worked my butt off to get this. This allowed Sun Life to get a big reimbursement check thanks to my hard work. You think they might thank me for this. No...just more harassment. Now they only have to pay my husband a little over 500 dollars a month, the rest now comes from SSDI. So why all the harassment SUN LIFE??? Over 500 dollars a month. You are despicable people.

I have a consult with a Disability Lawyer. We will discuss the recent harassment and the unnecessary stress they put on us at Christmas no less. The lawyer will act as a buffer. Write them a stern letter about consequences to them if they continue with the harassment. Heck maybe we will sue. They truly caused us mental, emotional, pain and suffering. My advice to others don’t let them run all over you. Tell them that harassing you is not acceptable and has legal ramifications.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Got tossed around like a ball talking to different associates all the time, and each one tells you something different. They are absolutely horrible with paperwork and either didn't send medical forms at all or sent them to the wrong doctor. I waited an enormous amount of time getting approved and eventually getting a check. I feel bad for any single person that would have to wait that long to feed their kids! I was sick, the absolute worst time of my life and Sun Life made it that much worse.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance expert review by Joseph Burns

Sun Life Financial offers long-term and short-term disability insurance in addition to its many different benefits packages. This disability insurance helps you keep getting paid in the event that a disability prevents you from performing duties at work.

• Critical illness benefits: Sun Life allows claimants to collect an additional payment if they’ve suffered from illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure or trauma resulting in paralysis.

• Retirement savings: A disability shouldn’t have to affect your plans for the future. Users can use Sun Life’s program to contribute to a retirement savings plan.

• Employee assistance program: Sun Life offers access to a counseling and referral service in the event of legal or financial concerns.

• Medical supplement: Sun Life helps users maintain their medical coverage by paying up to a preset amount towards their medical insurance premiums.

• Activities of daily living: Sun Life offers an Activities of Daily Living Benefit, which increases disability income in the event of a severe disability, in order to supplement the costs that claimants frequently incur.

• Best for: people who have been injured, severely disabled, or suffered from a critical illness.

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Company Information