Assurant

Assurant Solutions helps protect the things that are important to you, like your vehicles, appliances, expensive electronics and your financial security. We have been in the protection business for a very long time, but throughout the decades our mission remains the same. To bring value to the clients we serve and peace of mind to consumers when they need it most.

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On October 14, 2016, I called for service on my Maytag Refrigerator Icemaker. Between October 14, 2016 and January 9, 2017 (to date) I have not received repair or replacement. I have spent untold hours on hold on the phone, only to be told that (1) the part had been ordered; (2) the service provider had to order; (3) part was on backorder; (4) part had not been ordered (5) warranty svc had to order (6) on December 1, part was ordered; (7) wait 30 days and if not received, Claims Dept or "Higher Claims" would call me back and discuss resolution. (I had promises of call-backs by "floor supervisors" and other unnamed personnel.) To date: NOTHING! Meanwhile, we're lugging in bags of ice. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE! In 2014, I purchased a 5-year warranty, due to expire in 2019. If no call in 2 days as promised, I am gathering info to file claim with my Attorney General's Office. USE THIS "SERVICE" at your own peril.

I've never had good experience with Assurant Solutions. I usually get a phone that doesn't work and needs to be returned again only to have to get another phone that doesn't work as well. A couple times it's taken a long time to receive my phone, and they aren't very good with communication. It's more frustrating to deal with them, than with a broken phone.

I have always had the insurance on my phone, I have a 16-year old, and a sick mom in California and I need to keep in contact with them. When my son's phone was stolen or lost (not sure which) my relationship with Assurant went down hill. Keep in mind I have 4 phones that I pay $15 a month per line and a 175 deductible. Basically over the two-year life of the phone I have paid for it several times.

So upon reporting my son's phone to the customer service women (she absolutely horrible) I was told it would take 10 business days to investigate because supposedly someone had already filed a claim on the phone. She wouldn't give me details or explain anything to me just that it would take two weeks over Christmas and new years to investigate. So my son had no phone to call his family over the Christmas break. I even had a T-mobile rep call with me and the same women (they must only have one) was rude to him. I have been a T-Mobile customer for almost 20 years and the T-Mobile rep was trying to help me figure out what was going on.

So I waited, with my son in California for Christmas and no phone to communicate, the two weeks. Over that time I sent a couple of e-mail all three which were answered incorrectly by someone who must not have actually read my emails. One email sent to me said my phone was shipped out a week before it was even missing with a tracking number???

Anyway after two weeks I call back and I am told I have to refill out a firm because I didn't state lost instead of stolen on the form they had me fill out. When I called to claim it originally I said to the same women I talked to today it was lost or stole but I didn't know what happened because it occurred during a basketball tournament my son was playing in. So I had to refill out the form. At the point I asked to speak to a supervisor, after which I was on hold for over an hour (they were hoping I'd get tired and hang up). Which I did but I still had questions. Why was it taking so long? Am I going to get my phone? What was the problem? Did I fill out the form correctly this time? So while on hold I emailed them about the hour I was on hold. Let's see what stupid thing they are going to do next.

We switched to Assurant 4 years ago for homeowners insurance. Just recently had a water pipe burst and ruin our floor. When we put in a claim these ** told us that when they rewrote our policy they didn't include water damage and too bad so sad they didn't bother telling us. So now they added water damage... for a whopping 5 bucks more a month. Meanwhile we have a thousand dollar repair we have to pay for. ** this ** company.

So last year about this time, I purchased a LG 4K Flat Screen. My wife suggested that I purchase the Assurant 360 Protection plan. Around November 30th, my television started to flicker whenever we tried to watch cable television. Then it stopped showing the picture all together on December 2nd. I then filed a claim with Assurant. I have to first start off by saying that they are the worst company that I had the displeasure in dealing with. The claim was painless at first. Then they called a technician to attempt a fix on my television.

I must say that the technician that I talked to on the phone is very professional, and will be up front with you about what steps to properly take when addressing Assurant. He just has a problem with calling you back when he says he will. So his company subcontracted someone to diagnose the issue with my television. Turned out the main motherboard was Santa Maria, and the kicker is that part is on back order. Great. So the subcontractor told me that the technician would get back to me the next day about an ETA for that specific part.

Two days later, I had to call the technician to find out what's going on. He explained to me that he was on the phone with Assurant for about an hour informing them that the part was on back order. He instructed that I should call them to find out how else they can proceed. So this is when the crap show happened. He provided me with a phone number for Service Protection Advantage. I called them and the first call was on a horrible signal, hung up then called again. Then I spoke with the most annoying customer service operator that tried every way possible to hang up on me. Great.

So apparently I was required to provide them with my contract number. Oh so the contract number that wasn't even provided to me when I purchased the insurance on Amazon, or when I filed the claim on Amazon. Go figure. Fortunately they provided me with a reference number for the claim, and they were able to verify who I was. Wouldn't she think to ask that? So I told her the situation, and she directed me back to the service technician who told me to call them. So I called back, and was directed to the Assurant Protection for Whirlpool. Now they are messing with me. So it was on me to google the actual number to Assurant to talk to them instead of that embarrassment of a sister company Service Protection Advantage.

To say the least, Assurant is no better. So I had to go through the same story with them, and the snarky customer service rep on the other line also tried everything possible to get me off of the call. So basically she told me that I had to wait on the part to service the television. Oh you mean the part that is on back order, and no ETA was given for it yet? Yeah... let me speak to your manager. So I asked her to transfer me to her manager. Of course that didn't happen. After a few instances on hold she told me that the manager was going to look at my claim, and then call me back. Of course that didn't happen. I had to call them again a few days later, and I immediately asked to speak to the manager.

After a long explanation to the manager he told me that he would call the service technician to find out about the part. The service technician left a voicemail on my phone to call him back. I called back and he told me that he was busy, and would call me back. What do you know? No callback in two days. I called Assurant to find out what the hell was going on. Back to the call the technician part. Finally the technician called me back and told me the part will be in by December 28th. This whole situation told me two things. Do not ever buy a LG Television again. If Assurant's services are ever offered to me again, it will be a hell no. Assurant is an absolute dumpster fire of a company. Stay away!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Solutions?

After paying Insurance on my iPhone for 1 year. My phone had a small crack that happen back in August. I reported it to T-mobile. They said I didn't have to do nothing because I wasn't requesting a new phone. Finally the phone goes out. I try to make a claim. They denied saying it's too old to file a claim. I was transfer 3 times. On hold for over a hour before the manager who got on the phone was even more rude. Service horrible. Felt like I wasted my money for a year.

ASSurant is their name -- WORST SERVICE EVER! This company is TERRIBLE! They won't guarantee that I will get my same color of phone back, and I'm almost positive I will get some janky refurbished phone back. I called T-Mobile and told them to partner with ANY other phone insurance company in the world rather than ASSurant -- they are the worst!!! I had to choose 1 star for the review, but I wish there was a negative star choice. RIPOFF!

I am partner in a large business with 5 premises around Kent. We have 8 phones around the shops and on-road staff. These phones have been purchased through Vodafone and the contract quite clearly states who has authorisation to amend any of the contracts. We purchased 'Vodafone rapid care' to receive lost or broken phones within 4 hours! Brilliant idea, shame Assurant take 3 days to anything and never get back to you, ££££s of business lost. Assurant refuse to change any contract until the main owner gives authorisation. The owner who has never withdrawn or purchased a phone himself, it has always been the department heads.

I have paperwork stating that there are 4 heads of department that can change these contracts. Assurant won't allow more than one authorised person it seems, if you are a business (2people+) do not do business with them. Assurant won't help or try to find what's wrong, they keep pointing fingers at Vodafone and telling me to go instore, which is hard for someone who works 6 days a week. Insurance Companies aren't there to help, they are they not to pay and find the loopholes in their own contracts. Slimiest People alive. Unfortunately the only way this people work is if you report it to Ombudsman Service. It's a shame they lack any decency to help, if they have your money in their pocket.

I thought it would be right to say after my disability and filing for long term disability after doctors told me I was done with work due to my illness Assurant reviewed my case. I had no problem on collecting disability payments on my case and I work with very friendly people knowable within the company. They are very good insurance. I am very satisfied.

I put a claim in on a phone I had lost which I found later. They told me just to return the new phone and I would get a refund. I been calling for a month now and they keep giving me the runaround. Says my bank got the money on Nov 23 but when I call my bank there is no money. Supervisor was super rude and nasty to me and now on Dec 12 I still don't have my refund. They basically robbed me.

I've had this insurance for over 5 yrs. My phone wouldn't load past the LG screen. Filed claim 3 times, every time they denied it. In the end, I had to call T-Mobile to get them to accept my claim. It has been so long since I had used my phone, T-Mobile refunded my last month bill. Now, it's been 3 days still no phone. DO NOT USE ASSURANT. This company will have you feeling like you're being taken advantage of!!!

I WILL BE CANCELING as soon as I get my replacement phone. I'm better off taking my broken phone to T-mobile pay $250 and get a new one, instead of paying Assurant $175 plus $10 a month to run me around for month, denying my claim, making me call my phone company to get Assurant to do what I pay them for. Its ridiculous, they're making millions off of us without providing us with basic reasonable service because they think we have no choice. GOOGLE phone insurance companies, THERE ARE COMPANIES that offer BETTER SERVICE WITH COMPARABLE PRICES.

I went through Assurant in order to put a claim on my missing phone. The turnaround took 3 days for me to receive the device. The phone received was in a terrible condition (dings and scratches everywhere). It literally looked like someone else send it back and they just shipped over to me. However the case, when asked to send me another one they were kind enough to say Yes. The problem lies with the fact that I have to send the old one back, and they have to make sure its on the way, prior to them sending me the other one. This would leave me without a phone for a whole week and even more depending on the quality of the new device (not much faith at this point). Even though I offered to put a cc on file they were not interested. After a few supervisors they just put me to someone's voice mail and never got a callback. I have been paying warranty for 2 years ($12.00 monthly) and a deductible of ($175.00). Its truly not worth it.

Assurant, after MANY, MANY calls to get my claim resolved, continues to tell me that my claim is being rejected because they don't have my IMEI number. Hello, it is on the back of my iPhone 7 Plus box that YOU say you have a picture of and that I sent to you 3 different pictures and angles, and I have told you numerous times is right on the picture that you say you have. I have sent them HIGH DEF pics of EVERYTHING they need. Now they say they can't read the number because it's blurry. Per their request, I sent it to my own email AND my finances email and even SHE can see it plain as day. OMG these people are killing me. I am going to be extremely upset if I keep getting the run around and don't get my refund. I paid my insurance. I want my check. Crazy, even this Louis guy who was so nice said he was putting it thru because he said he had what they needed two days ago. T-Mobile or Assurant, please resolve this.

I purchased two phones from Gazelle and Assurant policies for them through Gazelle's website back in October (6th and 13th). I had to return them (wrong phone/defective) and got my money back from Gazelle - no problem. Assurant, however, assured me that they would send me checks and they would arrive at about 14 business days. It is now almost DECEMBER and I still haven't received my refunds! I keep calling and they said they are reaching out to accounting and that they will try to call me back. I've heard them say this multiple times with NO call backs. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE SCAM ARTISTS! They do NOT intend to EVER refund you for anything!

In fact, I am on the phone with them again right now being told that they cannot determine if a check had been issued and they are trying to contact the appropriate dept. to see if a check was ever issued. They keep telling me I must have thrown the check away or my address is incorrect (even though I have verified the correct address countless time)! Now they want to reach out to "data entry" and "get them involved" before they can issue a check. These people take your money and then tell you it must be a mistake on your part. DO NOT EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE EVER!

After the birth of my daughter I was disabled for a while. I attempted to activate my insurance that I had been paying for and they kept turning me down. My physician had even filled out all the required paperwork and yet I was still turned down. I wish I would have never purchased this scam. Because that is all it is, is a scam. Do not waste any money on this company, they will never do what they say they would when you first sign up!

Had 2 Work Station MacBook Pros stolen from Apt as I was getting ready to ship. Ran up to the post office to grab the materials, nice summer day, windows all open and door unlocked. Small town in IL. Came back, not even 15 mins later. The boxes, the computers all gone from my bed where I had placed them. Neighbor thought they saw someone go in, but thought it was me. Cops weren't able to help, happened in broad daylight. Passed over the information about the computers, 15 inch retina display maxed specs for rendering stations, still technically new in box. They were back ups, if my primary failed. Never been turned on for more than 2 hours. Gave receipts and costs ranges and old repair costs receipts from Apple with Serial numbers and everything. Apple locked the systems so the person who stole them, got nice paperweights.

Assurant tried to claim that since they were older, they depreciated over 90%. They offered me ~$470 for BOTH as the stolen payoff. I explained to her that Apple computer systems are not PC's, they don't depreciated/ While I spent $3,500 A PIECE brand new, even refurbished during that time, I could get the same systems for 2,800. The Rep tried to bully me into saying yes and agreeing to the payment. I even said that I needed to talk to my wife about what she was offering and to technically see what I had in savings to see if I could replace them out of pocket, since the insurance I have been paying for (6 years with no claims) was refusing to pay. The REP would NOT let me hang up the phone and literally kept saying that they will deny it if I was to hang up and not agree to the terms. I refused.

Called my lawyer, then contacted the Insurance Bureau for the state. After giving them all the serial numbers and information with Apple invoices of the same products as "refurbished" and getting a professional contact input about "computer depreciation" I got the money to replace the systems. Don't fall for Bully tactics. If they say you have to do something, you laugh and say, no. Be sure to file any complaints to the State Insurance Controller Body. Assurant or (insurance company of Florida) has well over 13,000 complaints in the State of IL alone.

Today 11/21/16 I called Assurant to make a claim because the screen on my phone started freezing. After filing the claim I was told I was not approved. Why? 2 claims per 12 months I was told. Okay. I had a claim 11/1/15 and 6/4/16 but it's been 12 months since the first claim so I do qualify. Yes but No. Here's the loophole that led to the dead end and a now non-functional phone even though I paid Assurant faithfully for over 5 years. While speaking to the rep I was asked when the damaged occurred? I replied my phone sustained a small crack around 9/19/16 but has been fully operable until today. So to railroad me the rep put 9/19/16 as the claim date instead of 11/21/16 (actually claim date) which put me over the limit for claims.

Honestly had I known they would scam me I would have never mention September because it was irrelevant to what I was experiencing in November, but not for Assurant. It was a loophole to not take care of a loyal customer. I spoke to several reps and supervisors over a 2 1/2 - 3 hour period. Every call and transfer led to a dead end. I'm sorely displeased, disappointed and feel cheated by an insurance company I once trusted to secure my personal property. Very frustrating and hurtful situation.

So when I got my Visa credit card I figured some unemployment insurance would be a good idea due to working in the oil industry. Well I forgot about the insurance (60$ a month) and after a few years (5-6) I got laid off from the oil industry. Then visa said I have insurance to help cover any payments that were outstanding. Well I got disapproved. Total waste of money. DO NOT go with this company at all. I wasted around 5,000$ + over the years on this, which is almost 3x more than my credit card debt.

I recently filed a claim to have my cell phone replaced. The company charges $175 a month to replace you your phone and to send back a refurbished phone. You also have to pay $12 a month to T-Mobile for this sorry insurance. After filing my claim, I am told it will be 3-5 days before I can receive my replacement phone. The money was taken out of my account immediately. I don't understand why the process is so long to receive a replacement phone.

After I receive my phone I am cancelling the insurance and will take my chances with going to the Apple store to get my phone fixed or replace. I think it is ridiculous that a company that supplies insurance for all the major cell phone companies would make a customer wait 3-5 days or longer to receive a replacement phone. T-Mobile advertises that with the insurance you will receive a replacement phone within 24 hours. This is so NOT true. Assurant deserves zero stars, but since I have to give at least 1 star that is what they will get.

Assurant insurance, is a shameless organization. Some of my appliances are insured by Assurant. My washing machine needed a repair (As of 10/1/16). The repair turned out to be "expensive" ($400). Assurant is using any and every excuse of not covering the repair, Including asking for proof of purchase for a machine that is 8 years old, calming - some parts of the machine should be under factory warranty. I called the manufacture (LG), given the machine serial number I was told that the factory warranty is good for 7 years only. After dozen of phone call, I gave up on Assurant. Assurance is a scam organization.

We sell GE appliances. Many of our customers are receiving letters from Assurant -- under what appears to be an official G.E. letterhead -- telling them that their appliance is out of warranty. This generally happens within 60 - 90 days of a customer registering an appliance with GE. When the customer registers the appliance, the installation date is on the registration card. Without exception, Assurant shows the date of manufacture of the appliance as the date the warranty began on the appliance. This is misleading to the end user because their actual warranty begins upon installation of the appliance. This has at times caused chaos in our business, and much grief among some of our mostly elderly customers. In one event, I composed and the customer mailed a certified letter requesting that Assurant cease and desist from contacting her any further. She has since received two more letters from Assurant.

Just had a horrible interaction with LG and the extended warranty provider, "Assurant Solutions". We purchased a $303 service plan when our washer needed repair. The plan states that if they deem the repair "not cost effective" they will refund our money, less $100 for the initial diagnosis. When we weren't hearing from anyone after the diagnosis, I had to call around like a crazy person trying to get answers and found out (not easily) the extended warranty provider had denied our claim.

I simply wanted to know why no one had called to let me know our claim had been denied and when we would be refunded our $203. I was met with hostility, vague answers, and a major lack of concern for the money and time I had wasted. We will NEVER buy LG products again and will tell everyone we know our story. We will also have our ears perked for any companies involved with Assurant Solutions and also tell everyone we know to steer clear of them. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Federal Warranty Service Corporation, Assurant Solutions is A TOTAL RIP OFF. After paying monthly payments for more than four years on a service contract for a Samsung TV I was only refunded less than $200 once discovered the part to repair this TV was no longer available. I will no longer depend on or purchase a service contract with these companies again or better yet just never purchase a service contract.

All in we pay $30 a month to get this insurance for our 3 family phones. A couple of years ago I broke a phone and was able to file the claim through T-Mobile but recently my son broke his phone and now found out we have to file directly with Assurant. We have filed the claim 5 times over the last 5 weeks and they still have not approved it. Every time I talk with them they say it'll be a approved in 24 hours but hey, guess what, it isn't... again. I just spoke with them and got the same answer. What a racket!!! Five weeks and still no replacement phone on a valid insurance policy we've been paying in to for 3 years. At one point a representative told me it's not covered because it's a Samsung phone, yet we've never owned anything but iPhones. Ridiculous but try convincing a representative who is insisting you have a Samsung. I'm canceling this as soon as we can get the new phone - if we ever do.

I was denied insurance on my phones because I did an upgrade or a JUMP with Tmobile. Basically they told me am screwed, nothing they can do but pay for the entire phone. So after speaking with 2 manager in the period of 30 days. After my insurance that Tmobile provided they denied it twice and needed to pay Tmobile $250 to take the phone or pay the phone in full. I have tough of closing the entire account, but every time I try the person on the line speak too much and is an unconformable conversation.

We had a phone stolen by a store employee while it was charging. Security video revealed the employee who had taken the phone. The phone was taken while we were vacationing out of state and it took 3 weeks to work with the store manager, have the manager retrieve the phone and mail to us. I contacted Assurant after I had possession of the phone and they told me that I could keep my phone that was stolen, return the replacement phone, and they would credit back the $175.00 deductible. I tried to connect my phone to the network but it would not connect, then contacted Tmobile and they informed me that Assurant had blocked the network signal for the phone.

I called Assurant back and was told the complete reverse - could not use the recovered phone, no deductible refund and I must return the phone I recovered, due to their 14-day return policy. On top of all of this, the replacement phone originally sent failed on the day I called Assurant, so the used phone functioned for less than 30 days. I requested a conversation with an Assurant supervisor in their worthless call center, the first one listened to my issue and then promptly

hung up on me, the second supervisor I talked to listened but just recited the policy.

This company has no conscious and should not be in business. The employees do not use common sense and do not understand they are PAID by customers. I have canceled my insurance and will NEVER use them again and by the way Assurant is a subsidiary of Bankers Life of Florida. I attempted to contact Bankers Life and was told a management person would call me back. Guess what, no callback. I have filed a complaint with the Department of Insurance, if for no other reason to increase the company's complaint count.

Has been denied repair for outside rust on the washer. Washer is working fine just the leak. Also has been fixed twice before. I did asked for second opinion. Has denied by Mr. **. PS: Insurance company's always looking for an excuse not to pay. This is one of them.

This company has gotten so bad in the last few years. In May my son dropped his phone and cracked the screen. I called Assurant to file a claim. I waited several days for them to send me the shipping label to send the phone to them. In the meantime I went to the Apple store to see if it could be repaired faster and cheaper than Assurant. Unfortunately I somehow lost the phone somewhere between Apple and home. I called Assurant to advise them that the phone currently with a damage claim had been lost. We proceeded with a loss claim that apparently never went into their computer system. They maintain that the phone claim was for damage even though they have the form that I filled out stating the phone had been lost.

Now 4 months later I am being billed $450 for a lost phone that I did not ship to them. Even though they had a copy of the paperwork stating it had been lost literally in their hands. They read it back to me. They then informed me that it is MY responsibility to file the claim correctly. I have no access to their computers so how would I know if it had been filed correctly? I did my part by calling them to initiate the claim. Calling back to advise them of the change in status, filling out their paperwork and paying the deductible. I am thoroughly disgusted with this company and their sad excuse for employees.

It has been 10 days now since a tree fell on my house. They still cannot tell me anything except that it sometimes takes them 30 days to do a claim. Meanwhile there is still a tree on my house and car and despite the fact that I pay for top notch coverage I am getting absolutely nothing. Garbage company. Go somewhere else.

Lost a phone and I went to Assurant online to file a claim on a Tuesday and on Friday I checked up on the claim. Apparently it was denied and I was not emailed, called, or texted. I put the wrong model which I agree with and understand why it was denied. But the fact that I had to look up the claim to find this out is what really grinds my gears. If I hadn't checked up on it today I would have to waste another day or two waiting for the phone. Now it's in a 24 hour review process so I will be getting my phone on TUESDAY. I would give this company a 4 or 5 since I've filed a few claims and the phones come very quickly. If you're going to file a claim make sure you speak to a representative. Do not do it online.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Assurant has been offering a variety of insurance plans, including health insurance, for the last 100 years. It was named one of Forbes’ 50 Most Trustworthy Companies for 2014.

• Many short-term plans: Students and people who need insurance temporarily while waiting for employer insurance to kick in can take advantage of short-term plans.
  • Offers critical illness insurance to help pay bills: Consumers who are temporarily disabled by illness can get cash benefits from Assurant.
  • Easy to add dental coverage: Consumers can easily get full coverage for their oral health needs.
  • Low-cost plans: Although Assurant offers low-cost plans, the coverage on these isn’t as good, and consumers who use them end up paying high deductibles.
  • Coverage: Assurant does not currently offer vision coverage.
  • Best for Students, senior citizens, employees