formerly Assurant

3.9/5 (95 ratings)

About Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

This provider has hidden practices that allows for them to not payout claims. The staff is rude and continually tries to pressure you into investing money with them. I would not waste my time with this company or trust them with my money. They don't care about the client's needs or well being, they only want your money. A true greed based company.

Original review: April 29, 2021

My daughter was killed last year. I've been very depressed, not able to sleep, anxiety, etc. I tried to go back to work, but I couldn't function. My psychiatrist took me out of work again. My claim was denied bc my psychiatrist named some of the same diagnosis (plus new diagnosis). They denied my claim. They said I couldn't have the same diagnosis from my first claim. Well, I've never lost a child before last year. They have you to get all of that paperwork filled out, just to deny you!! They are trained to say "NO"!!

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2021

10/5/2020, underwent bi-lateral total knee replacement surgery. After experiencing delay in STD benefits, reached out to customer service, after lengthy "on hold" period, was told they never received.

Original review: March 11, 2021

An estimate is submitted to Sun Life, they could not find the paperwork; Although the paperwork shows up numerous times on the app/website, but their client services person could not find it on their end; then they forget to submit it to the claims department; Then they need additional information which was already sent to them; In summary, If you are looking for a friendly, customer services oriented health insurance company, stop by somewhere else or have the lowest expectation from Sun Life.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I have had a retirement plan with Sun Life Financial for a couple of years. I've since moved on from my employer and am trying to move the funds to another investment provider. Not only is the process excruciatingly slow, the fund has really started to lose money. Every week they make me wait I'm losing about 1% of the value of the fund. They take forever to respond to questions and don't help if you make mistakes on the paperwork. Avoid this company even if your employer is vouching for them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I was attending a refund. So, I make the first call, it's fast on the phone but... they mailed it to a wrong address. Ok... it happens. 2nd call, I send my banking account numbers so that it would be faster. Nothing. 3rd call a week later, still no refund even if they tell me that it's on the way. The Lady tells me that she will call me at a specific time the next day to confirm the deposit. Of course, no calls on that day, no voice mails, no missed calls, nothing at all. I began to be fed up. 4th time... after probably 3 weeks... I stayed for 45 minutes on the phone explaining (again) that... I was still waiting. I finally hung up because... well, not going anywhere. Really fed up of the waiting and having to say the story over and over again... while she still is not able to write my family name right.

So, 5th call... the Lady (a different one, every time) tells me that I "should" receive it because it was mailed 5 days ago. What? "Should" receive it? Well... they sent it on a wrong postal code. So... even if she was extra polite and all, I told her that there was ***major issues*** in the customer service (like... don't say yes if it's no... , you don't have a correct address etc etc etc). So, 6th calls later, still waiting believe it or not. It should be with my banking account within a day or two (... after over a month). Well, you have a better service at any store on earth compare to this, trust me. (I am fully honest on that review).

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

2 days after having foot surgery Sun Life cut off my long term disability. Appealing but that is taking 5 months so far and they still making exercises to get more medical records. They lie. Get a lawyer and sue.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

You might as well not have dental insurance through this company. It's like putting a square peg in a round hole. They don't pay for white fillings that would match your tooth color, only silver fillings. Because everyone wants SILVER Fillings on their white teeth the rest of their life. Dentist do not even do black or silver fillings anymore. Come on SUNLIFE!!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Bought their dental insurance. However NONE of the dentists in their website accept this insurance. The customer service doesn't help at all. They just give us the same dentist list, where none of them accept their insurance. I called almost all dentists in the list. NONE of them accept the insurance!!! This is a fraud company everyone should stay away!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I bought the insurance when I first became employed back in the 80's, and it was reviewed in 2002. I have poor eyesight, and I was never verbally made aware of the fact that they would take my Canada Pension Disability, and reduce my disability payments by that amount. Instead it was hidden in a written contract somewhere, that I would've had a hard time to read. After working with an eye disease for many years, I was placed off work by my employer, for poor vision. After my STD ended, I went 3 months with no income while they hummed and hawed about approving me for LTD.

I am fortunate that I was eventually approved, but then they took my Canada Disability Pension after I was approved for that. They expect full transparency on claims filed, but fail to give it on policies sold. They explore every possibility to deny your claim, give you the run around, and then reduce your LTD benefits, by any other income that you may have, without making that clear when the policy is sold. This is a horrible company to deal with, and they only have their best interests in mind. "Brighter under the sun" my ***, it's only brighter under the sun for the company, I wouldn't recommend.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance author review by Joseph Burns

Sun Life Financial offers long-term and short-term disability insurance in addition to its many different benefits packages. This disability insurance helps you keep getting paid in the event that a disability prevents you from performing duties at work.

• Critical illness benefits: Sun Life allows claimants to collect an additional payment if they’ve suffered from illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure or trauma resulting in paralysis.

• Retirement savings: A disability shouldn’t have to affect your plans for the future. Users can use Sun Life’s program to contribute to a retirement savings plan.

• Employee assistance program: Sun Life offers access to a counseling and referral service in the event of legal or financial concerns.

• Medical supplement: Sun Life helps users maintain their medical coverage by paying up to a preset amount towards their medical insurance premiums.

• Activities of daily living: Sun Life offers an Activities of Daily Living Benefit, which increases disability income in the event of a severe disability, in order to supplement the costs that claimants frequently incur.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Company Information