formerly Assurant

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.37/5

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

In 2014 I got sick. After discussing with my doctor I filed long term disability claim. There was 3 month waiting period. During claim process my doctors filled forms and company pulled my medical records. Since then I have been receiving check every month in mail. Helps put food on table. This is what Disability insurance is for. Every some while they confirm my status by having my doctors fill forms and by pulling medical records, which is perfectly fine. I am very happy with my experience with this company.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I have been dealing with severe vision and possibly neurological issues as well as moderate to severe depression since June of 2019. At first I went on short term disability through the government which lasted until the end of September. I will admit that as a young man who has always been able to overcome health issues and provide for myself through physical labour I was hesitant to apply for long term coverage as in my mind I was hopeful for a speedy recovery. Well that didn’t happen and I’m still in the same position I was in when this all started.

At the beginning of October I had sent in all of my relevant information along with my doctor's and my employer. I was told it would be a ten business day decision making process and it is now February third and still no decision. Not a yes or no, they literally just keep stringing me along. I have to call them as they will never call me to make me aware of the status and half the time they don’t return phone calls (within 24 hours as their policy states) I am at the point of looking into a disability lawyer. It’s disgusting that they treat people this way, you would have better luck at a casino in Vegas. Remember these companies don’t make money by paying you out, they make money by you paying in and denying you. The house always wins....

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I have never been so dissatisfied in my life. Not only do they not get my receipts when I fax them, but their new app also does not work. I was told I can pay in advance for a service and get the funds as long as I write the number of sessions on the receipt. Now my claim was denied. I call in and they tell me you cannot pay in advance and we need each receipt and you can just upload to the app after the service is finished. FOR ** SAKES, the app never works. I upload it, call them the next day to make sure they got it, of course, they did not get it. I upload it again and now they magically got it this time. No one knows their pants from their ** in this place. Everyone is so unorganized and does not know what they are talking about.

I finally escalated this to a supervisor. I was on hold for 10 mins to only be told that no supervisors are around at this time and to expect a call back 3-5 BUSINESS DAYS. YEP NOT HOURS or minutes, BUSINESS DAYS. I have never been so dissatisfied. I use to be with Manulife and NEVER had these issues. BRING YOUR SERVICES elsewhere. I have called them multiple times to tell them their app does not work and get no responses. I am a programmer. It is not hard to have an upload function for photos to sync per account. The issue is most likely their database cannot handle what is coming in.

Lastly, when I first sent my faxes through they never received them. Finally, after calling 4 times, I got told you need a reference number so they know which receipt goes with what. Okay, that makes sense but apparently when you submit the claim online the reference number is not generated at that time. That's the claim number and the claim number is different than the reference number! Are you kidding me!??? SUNLIFE NEEDS TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER AND FAST. It is 2020 PEOPLE! Worst customer service experience of my life!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

They the first month then you can't any more. When you need it the most you get the run around. Been trying since Dec 16 2019. Claims adjuster won't return calls. All I get is some who states he'll forward a message. What do you do.

Peter **

Las Vegas

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Late Payments. I have had to deal with this company twice in 10 years with the same results, But in the most recent I was prepared and correctly submitted all my documents along with ensuring they were received on time from my doctor, my employer, and myself by phone and e-mail to include my canceled check for direct deposit. This was easy as I was waiting forever in the last incident to get my money and lo and behold it is happening again.

I contacted them to ensure claim was accepted to their reply "yes". My operation was on the 6th of December 2019 and after calling every week I was finally told 2 checks were in the mail which I received on December 31, 2019. When I asked them why they did not direct deposit they said they were unsure but ensured the next check would be direct deposited on January 3, 2020 via direct deposit. Guess what, It wasn't. I called today and was told it was not set up even though Ashley ensured through a phone call it was. So now I wait 10 days for the next check and wait for a call from Ashley to tell me she has done it again and does not know why it didn't get set up before. I believe they are told to hold the money as long as they can so they can move from escrow and draw interest and am sure the representative gets bonuses for doing this. Of course all the while we are trying to make ends meet with our fiances with no repercussions on them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I have gastroparesis and heart failure and even after having a heart attack in the past was made to wait several weeks for any kind of payment. They always say they didn't get the information from your doctor. Even though my doctor shows me the forms and the confirmation it went through on their fax. Also they never update you on your case and you are made to constantly stress and call them for updates. They have made me wait as long as 6 weeks each time before I receive any form of payment. When you're sick and not able to work, you shouldn't have to go through this. They are all the same. It's their job to not pay you is what they need to say!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have been out since the end of September and I decided to put my claim in November 26, 2019. I called this company from November 26 until December 11 to see if everything was okay with my paperwork. They informed me on November 26 that they needed a statement on the accident (occurred on job) and if I see any other doctor info. I was already in my 7th day of processing, so I sent them paperwork on Dec. 11. Now I have to start the process all over again. Let's not forget you can't print no forms online, so you have to wait to receive the information in the mail. How about people that don't have access to a fax machine?

I been with them for 15 years with 3 claims. I am seriously thinking about ending my contract with them. How about the expedite claim process isn't always guarantee? I have another private disability missing paperwork and I don't have to start the process all over again. So I am sitting home not getting paid from comp or my disability company. I have a mortgage and two small children to provide for and let's not forget other bills.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Stage 3b cancer. Need several surgeries, multiple rounds of chemo, radiation, more surgery, etc. They approved my short term disability, but now that doctor put me on LTD, they suddenly don't have any of my medical records. You know, the ones they used to approve my short term. My rep got rude with me when I asked when will I receive an approval. I am paying for Cobra and no income. It's been in their court for months, yet they can't get their information together.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Sunlife just as any insurance company will deny you if you have a sneezing attack saying you have asthma. I wanted a little bit more on the short term disability and wanted long term disability but they denied both. Unless you are healthy and young, don't bother wasting YOUR hard earned money on this company. As with the thousands of 1 star reviews, they are not a good company to deal with. They are a scam!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I have read all the horrible reviews and I personally have experienced the exact same horrible issues everyone else has. One or two people saying they're horrible is one thing but having 98% of their clients terribly dissatisfied is another. I just thought that my case worker (Anita) was mentally handicapped and I was unlucky to be assigned to her because of her incompetence but apparently everyone there will lie to you, lose your paperwork, send faxes to the wrong doctors, stall tactics and try to starve you out waiting on your benefit check. They never waited on or missed a payment from me. I have to call them everyday to make sure that they are doing their job. That's probably the worst part of post surgery and recovery when you add all the stress they cause. We should all get together on a class action lawsuit and force them to be accountable for their actions.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance expert review by Joseph Burns

Sun Life Financial offers long-term and short-term disability insurance in addition to its many different benefits packages. This disability insurance helps you keep getting paid in the event that a disability prevents you from performing duties at work.

• Critical illness benefits: Sun Life allows claimants to collect an additional payment if they’ve suffered from illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure or trauma resulting in paralysis.

• Retirement savings: A disability shouldn’t have to affect your plans for the future. Users can use Sun Life’s program to contribute to a retirement savings plan.

• Employee assistance program: Sun Life offers access to a counseling and referral service in the event of legal or financial concerns.

• Medical supplement: Sun Life helps users maintain their medical coverage by paying up to a preset amount towards their medical insurance premiums.

• Activities of daily living: Sun Life offers an Activities of Daily Living Benefit, which increases disability income in the event of a severe disability, in order to supplement the costs that claimants frequently incur.

• Best for: people who have been injured, severely disabled, or suffered from a critical illness.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Sun Life Financial Disability Insurance Company Information