1.2/5 (178 ratings)

About Matrix Absence Management

Matrix Absence Management Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Matrix Absence Management?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Matrix Absence Management?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I have been off work since July 20th, 2020 due to a medical issue. I had sent everything in and everything was received almost a month ago and still no response. I have called and I've emailed and even went through different representatives trying to get help and no one seems to care. This company is a joke.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I filed for short term dissatisfy after car accident in September of 2020 but I was denied and given reason was that it is pre existing condition, Even known that MRI showed that it is result of reason accident. So that means that I couldn’t walk before accident. I filed for four weeks to start but after four weeks I still couldn’t walk for more than 30 min at the time. But had no choice but go back to work and risking of destroying my back.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had to help my family member who was on medical leave and cannot use a computer needed a lot of bed rest. I helped filed a claim through her employer who uses Matrix Absence. It was a total nightmare. I can’t believe they actually got few 5 stars. After the claim was filed an email and bunch of paperwork arrived in mail. No one ever returned our calls and emails. We were assigned one case worker later changed to a different one but not a single reply. My family member ended up going through the state disability to file a claim and was denied. After many phone calls the state decided to pay out her claim. I don’t even get the point of why Matrix is in place when they are zero help! No one ever answers calls and emails. I was worried about my family member. She was already too sick then not being paid was even making her more sick being worried about her lost income.

Original review: July 8, 2020

My wife's work disability occurred in August 2019. Her employer touts that they will pay 100% to a worker for the 1st nine weeks of disability. Until this accident occurred we assumed the company would pay this directly but found out they use 'Matrix Absence Management'. She did get paid about $3,500 from Matrix in the first weeks but then we got a notice that they overpaid and she owned them $5,000 back because they miscalculated the money she received directly from Workers Comp. No one could or would spell out on a speadsheet exactly why we must pay back $5,000 even though she only received $3,500. I requested this from three different case workers she got passed around to with NO reply from any of them.

She has returned to work and her employer is withholding pay to pay back the $5,000, again with absolutely no clear documented and spelled out reason why. Any company that uses Matrix to handle their workers' medical issues is doing a disservice to the employees. I am a retired mechanical engineer, pretty good with numbers, and I can't make heads or tails of how Matrix arrived at the 'overpayment'. Very disappointed with her employer and these guys.

Original review: June 25, 2020

My Experience with Absence Management was five star! I normally don't write reviews but here it goes. My Claim Manager Marcia was Amazing, her diligence on my claim was outstanding. If you provide ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, your claim will process Flawlessly. I called to open my claim late at night, I received a call within 5 minutes from customer service and a call from Marcia the next morning! I filled out my documents. My claim was approved in less than a week and a check mailed out the Day after my claim was approved. I had so many questions which were answered the same day (email). Thank you Marcia, you're appreciated!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I had to miss a four non-sequential work days due to a herniated disc. When I tried to file for intermittent leave, I filed via the only "File A Case" option. Once I filed, the case manager called me to tell me I had filled out the form for short term disability, not for FMLA intermittent leave. I clarified that I intended to file for intermittent leave. A few days after this, I received a call from a different case manager stating that they were helping the first case manager. This second case manager asked the exact same questions that were asked in the first call. About a week later I started to receive emails stating that my case would be denied if I did not file the paperwork that Matrix needed. I was unable to determine what paperwork was needed until I reached out to my case manager again. It turns out this was the paperwork sent to my doctors office.

After having my doctor submit the paperwork my case was denied because it was filed as short term disability and not Intermittent leave as was clarified in the first conversation with my case manager (and second conversation with the second case manager. At this time a THIRD case manager reached out to me via email to ask if I intended to file for intermittent leave...I clarified once again that my case was intended for intermittent leave. They told me they would resubmit the case as an intermittent leave case. I had to reach out to my doctor again to get the paperwork sent a second time. I confirmed with my doctors office that the paperwork was sent again.

About two weeks after this, I received a notice stating that my case was denied because they did not have paperwork from my doctors office. I went to my doctors office and was able to visually confirm the documents were faxed to Matrix a second time. So, my case has been denied. I attempted to open a new case and received a prompt response that this new claim had been denied because it was a duplicate. When I asked about why that would be the case, they went on to explain that the paperwork from the original case simply needed to be resent....it has been resent and there has been no action on my case.

I asked my case manager where I can file a complaint and they told me to send it to my case manager who would, "send it through the necessary channels". INCREDIBLY unprofessional. I still have no resolution with Matrix. I am very fortunate that my job did not hang in the balance because I would be out of work. I have not heard back regarding my complaint either, I have a feeling that it was trashed with the rest of my case. I believe Matrix does not care at all about the people it's supposed to be helping.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I have had worked at the same job for 6 years, paying into Matrix in case I got sick. Well 2 years ago I started to lose my voice and have an extreme "demonic bark cough". I was told by my employer a year ago that I am not to come in with that cough, even though I went through extensive testing and found that I was not contagious. I have Chronic Muscular Tension Dysphonia with chasing vocal cords, basically I get severe swelling in my throat to where you can't see my vocal cords. I even went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN to get this diagnosis.

I have gone through 2 speech therapist and I get better for a short bit of time but never 100% and I can't laugh or sometimes talk without coughing. Matrix gave my STD for 6 months but I was told that this will be a lifelong illness that I will have to deal with. There is nothing that can be done. I was however denied LTD stating that "I was offered a job from my company to work from home." Matrix lied because I was never offered a job to work from home as I would have taken it. I told them that some people are working from home and I hope that I am chosen to be one. I wasn't and my job was given to another employee.

I finally had to get a lawyer to appeal my denial for LTD, it has been over 45 days and they are stalling as they have up to 90 days which will be March 2nd to determine if they are going to pay, if not we are going to court. Every job that I have found calls for communication, without my voice I can't yell for help in a factory setting, I can't do customer service or retail, I can't call insurance companies as I was a Medical Biller and the list goes on. They are a sham of a company and should be ashamed, when there is nothing that can be done to help my situation. It is INFURIATING and I wish that I could give them zero stars.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I have made payments to Matrix for 10 years but I have received nothing but attitude and denials from them. I will not let this rest. I’m contacting the Labor Board and an attorney to see where I can get some help.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

My wife was hit by a truck with a traumatic brain injury 09/12/19. A month and half in Hospital, 2 weeks in Rehab Hospital, home care nurse and others. They never tried to get Medical Records from 2 hospitals. I fax them medical release from Rehab hospital Discharge Diagnosis, Traumatic brain injury Subdural hemorrhage traumatic Dysphagia. She has a feeding tube and said they didn't have proof to pay her and when she can go back to work with a job she don't remember!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I submitted a STD claim and was approved within a week of filing. However, my claims examiner Chelsea ** cannot seem to find my payment or direct me to a website that would allow me to track my own payments. After hounding her everyday she finally emailed me a copy of the detailed worksheet that the examiners use to calculate payment amounts. I emailed back rather frustrated telling her to send an actual check stub. As of yet, no reply. The fight continues????

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Matrix is awful. They denied my short term disability because the Doctor did not provide certain information. When the Doctor provided the information they still denied. Matrix already decides your case before you even send anything. They do not want to approve legitimate claims. Nasty people and aggravating to deal with. Heartless and greedy. They deny everyone so they can keep the money paid to them. Go help hardworking people who are hurt and can’t work. Awful!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I applied for STD, got approved for the first few weeks. The symptoms have not changed, got sent to a specialist, then got denied. My doctor sent in all the paperwork. My worker Solang ** is never in the office, very rude, not helpful at all! Very stressful situation to deal with when you're sick. Can’t even get medicine because I haven’t got payed in three weeks but yet I’m off for another 2 weeks!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

My employer needs to save their money and not pay this company and find another company. Matrix is awful. The examiners are never in office. Never respond to emails or phone calls. My Drs and I have faxed back all papers needed for my STD. It's been weeks of not hearing nothing. The 1st examiner applied my paperwork to wrong case. Now this one don't answer.

Original review: July 24, 2019

They review every year. Multiple doctors deemed my condition as worse. Social Security deemed me disabled on a nation level. Matrix decided today I can work doing what I use to do. That caused migraines, neuropathy, The inability to stand or sit without falling. Cannot sit in a chair and use a keyboard due to back and neuropathy in feet and hands. They found a medical assistant that I never met to say I could do my old job. No doctors in five years have stated that. Matrix is very unethical. Laura ** that handled my case said, "It is denied. You can appeal." No help in the process. Just over and over, "You were denied. I cannot help you. That is another department, 90 days they have to reconsider." Reconsider they never had the right to deny based on records. I'm worse not any better.

Original review: July 3, 2019

My son has stage 3 testicular cancer and I applied for a short term leave with intermittent leave once he complete his first surgery. Because the doctor checked the box for intermittent leave for my son’s future continuous care, they are denying my leave time. This is the 3rd leave I have processed with this service through my employer and I have always had a terrible experience with them every time.

Original review: June 17, 2019

My dad has terminal cancer. He is starting treatment 2 hrs. away from where I live. I applied for FMLA in order to help get him to his treatments and help him with his care. Despite contacting the claims examiner numerous times and her lack of returning my calls, supplying numerous forms and medical records, delaying my approval, refusing to call my dad’s Dr. office to help authorize approval, I have had to notify her supervisor and at this time, I am still waiting for approval for has been requested at this time.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I filed for Short Term Disability earlier this year, and because of my serious medical condition I'm going to be permanently disabled so will be applying for Long Term Disability through Matrix. The whole process has been a nightmare! I feel fortunate that I navigated the maze to get my STD approved, but I'm now trying to navigate the maze of LTD while at the same time trying to provide additional information about my Short Term Disability so it's not cancelled, putting my LTD at jeopardy. Here's a list of problems I've had with Matrix. If you are an employer investigating Matrix for your absence management provider, I can NOT recommend them.

1. It's very difficult to get anything in writing from Matrix other than the standard boilerplate documents required by law. And even those are just auto-generated forms that don't provide helpful information.

2. Matrix rarely responds to emails, and those are generally one or two line emails that are vague and don't provide much beyond a "I'll call you on X date." They REALLY don't want to put anything in writing.

3. If they need more information, they often wait until the day it's due to provide the notification, giving you no time to provide the information, thus providing them a reason to cancel your benefit.

4. They NEVER answer phone calls. They sometimes return voicemails, but it's often days or even weeks later. This allows them to push you ever closer to the benefit cancellation date. From all appearances, they're attempting to kick the can down the road until you miss a deadline and get your benefit cancelled.

5. I can't get Matrix to set appointment times. Ever. If there is an intake interview, they'll say "we'll call you on April 16th", but won't provide a time. And since they don't answer emails or phone calls, you're stuck waiting around all day for them to call. This has happened to me multiple times, and more than once they never called at all. As a disabled person with lots of doctor's appointments and a wonky sleep schedule, this type of inconsiderate behavior exacerbates my medical situation.

6. I've had at least 6 different claims reps since I first applied 4 months ago, only one of which was actually competent. The others didn't seem to know what they were doing, giving me incorrect information, sending the wrong forms, entering incorrect dates into their computer, etc.

7. There's no transparency in the process, it's never explained anywhere in enough detail to give the claimant the information they need to properly apply for their disability benefit. I believe this is done on purpose to obfuscate the process to discourage claimants from using their service, thus saving them the money they'd have to pay if the benefit was approved.

8. More than once they've given me information that directly contradicted the HR policies of my employer. That requires me to track down my HR rep, get the proper documentation in place and send it to Matrix. Even then, they don't accept it because they don't trust claimants to not forge the documentation. According to my HR rep, Matrix has a full copy of the company's HR policies and should be complying with those when interacting with a claimant.

9. The claims reps are often rude and condescending. "When are you going back to work?" they ask snidely, as if they know better than the doctor when we are physically able to return to work. That question gets asked in EVERY phone call, and they often push for sooner return to work dates, probably to save a few bucks.

I truly believe that Matrix Absence Management is an unethical company that skirts employment law and corporate HR policies to maintain a certain level of profitability. It's blatantly obvious that they care very little for the claimants or their plights. They have people's lives in their hands, and they're completely disinterested in anything but pushing you out of their program.

Original review: May 29, 2019

In early April 2019 I had to contact Matrix because I was having a hysterectomy that was scheduled on May 6. I received by mail all my documents my dr's office had faxed to them the very next morning time fax stamped page and all of confirmation of receipt before they ever even started my process. It took them 2 weeks to complete. My rep that I am paired up with for NY state has been out of the office since before I ever even left for my surgery. How unprofessional is that! The last thing someone who has never been on a leave from their company when they are healing from surgery is to deal with a absent minded company. I return back to work this Saturday and still have not had my questions answered at all! My short term disability pay is not correct but again you can never speak to anyone. It’s voicemail after voicemail left or you speak to unknowable people!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

My employer uses Matrix Absence Management to process their FMLA. They just started using them January 1, 2019. I requested intermittent FMLA due to an ongoing medical issue to preserve my job when I am ill or need to go to the doctors for treatment, etc. They are still looking for the exact cause. I go to monthly pain management appointments, I’ve been to a hematologist and now a GI doctor along with my family doctor. My family doctor suggested 6 months but I said no, only 3 months. Matrix is requiring me to go for a 2 hour second opinion for an unpaid intermittent FMLA claim. I might add, I am over 60 years old. It seems they are trying to find a reason to deny my request, then I will be put on corrective action or fired.

Great way to weed us older employees out isn’t it. This is the stupidest thing ever. But after reading other reviews, they deny individuals with cancer, who have had surgeries, etc. It seems to me a class action lawsuit might be in order (others have mentioned this too.) Matrix works FOR the employers, they do not work the employee, I am sure they get paid to deny claims and I wonder if they have a bonus structure around this. If they do, then we know why so many claims are being denied. Of course they use doctors who are in their pockets and they don’t need to file claims with the insurance companies so they can set their rates. Hum, unscrupulous people working together to get around the law.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was in a car accident April of 2017. I suffer from a neck and spine injury. They approved my STD but denied my LTD. It shows on my MRI that I needed neck surgery and I had spine surgery. Matrix said it wasn't severe enough to approve my LTD and never trust Matrix physician. They use their own physician to denied your claim and pay them to denied you. What makes matters worse is that the physician they use never seen me in person. They are scammers. I repeat. Never never ever use this company. They don't care if you paid into the system.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

October 2017 I was diagnosed with cancer. My company uses Matrix as their STD and LTD. In 2018 I had to go on long term disability due to chemo side effects and surgery. This has been the worst company I have ever dealt with. They work against you not for you. They closed my claim 2 weeks after my second surgery claiming their “medical staff” deemed me able to return to work. They have failed in so many ways. Now to reopen my claim they need medical records. While all this was going on, I’ve had a 3rd surgery to remove part of my liver due to the cancer spreading. I have called and left messages for updates. Always get the voicemail. I’ve emailed the examiner. I’m lucky if he answers within 2 weeks. It’s always the same answer. Need more information. I do believe this stress is causing more medical problems.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have had the worst experience with Mary ** at Matrix. She’s beyond rude. She acts like she’s doing you a personal favor when it’s her job to help you. The supervisors take up for her. I asked for a different rep and they would not change her.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I've had the misfortune of having to deal with Matrix. What a nightmare! I took a month off work for stress and then I had to deal with these people. I have been back at work for two weeks and still no money has come in. I would call Matrix and leave a message, because the answer machine always said, "I _______am out of the office today, and I will return on the next business day.", then later on that day she would call back, leave me a message, I call her back immediately and get the same recording, day after day. The few times I actually did get to speak to her she would always tell me that the doctors office did not fax the proper papers back to her even though they had a confirmation fax. The whole process is awful!

Matrix needs to be invested. A class action lawsuit should be filed. They deliberately deny claims and say that the doctors office have not faxed documents to them yet. I was also told by the girl at Matrix that if I did not get the doctors office to fax the papers by Christmas Eve that I would be denied. This was on the Friday before and they closed at noon and did not open again till December 26th, so I just called my Human Resource Representative and had her get involved because I did not need this added stress. Does their fax even work??? I have been employed at my job for 37 years and have never needed Matrix before and hope I never need them again. This was a horrible experience.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have had the misfortune of having to use this company because my work uses them. I have used them unfortunately on many occasions and each time I get assigned the same agent. She is horrible, as stated in all the complaints, no communication. And when you do hear back it's always a denial or we need more or blah, blah, blah. They promise the moon and deliver NOTHING, nothing but grief and added stress that you don't need since you are already stressed and in pain and worrying about work and your job security. If you have to use this so called company, I feel for you and you have my sympathy.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've had the misfortune to having to deal with this joke of a so called business. I was trying to talk to this lady there I believe in the Phoenix Az. location named Alexandria **. First of all you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting these (people) to answer the phone, this is because they want to get you to record a message, obviously for some record of how you feel is in their pocket.

I got a message from this Alexandria person today, when I called her back it took a while but finally got to her, she was rude and you can tell when they talk they try and keep their part short, because their main deal is to record you. She said she would transfer my call but just sent me back to answering machine. After a while of trying I finally got back to her and barely got my name out and she hung up on me. Haven't been able to get through since. I'd sure like to know if there's a class action lawsuit for harassment and pain and suffering in the works against them. I suffer from severe depression, stress and panic attacks.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I became unexpectedly very ill over a year ago. It resulted in me being diagnosed with a serious chronic condition and I have been unable to work. Short-term Disability payments were a constant problem and they would say they didn’t get paperwork from my MD even though my MD would show me the fax confirmation. Once I switched from short-term to long-term Disability, they became a nightmare. I have had 6 different representatives and I had such a struggle with their lack of communication and always stating they needed more paperwork or didn’t receive the records that were definitely sent by my doctors. They called me last week and said I don’t qualify for LTD and they are stopping my payments. I’m very sick and unable to work.

They say that I had a pre-existing condition and that is completely untrue and not based on medical evidence. I don’t know who they have reviewing their eligibility for pre-existing conditions, but whomever it is, it's inept and doesn’t understand my condition. They said I can appeal, but that doesn’t help me and my two children I have complete custody of who I won’t be able to buy anything for Christmas. I’m definitely appealing and I’m obtaining an attorney. In addition, I will be reporting them to every possible agency I can to let companies know they are not a good company to contract with for employee benefits. I’m heartbroken and so tired of fighting against money-hungry insurance companies.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

No stars! My internist ordered a 3-month leave. Each & every month more paperwork had to be reviewed and chart notes of my visits submitted. Month three paperwork was submitted on time. After many many emails, I was told my STD benefits were denied and “Hope you’re feeling better!” So snide. The reason for denial & paperwork for appeal hasn’t been sent and it’s been an entire month. Do I call an attorney now? Like others on this site, the doctor’s orders for time off are nearly over, and I haven’t been paid but have to return to work. In my experience, Matrix caused more unnecessary stress & anxiety, and made my recovery worse.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The paperwork is obviously difficult considering the fact that my doctor filled them out 7 different times before they were deemed “correct”. Denied my claim over paperwork confusion. It was just an overall negative experience. I almost lost my job trying to get the denial overturned. It was just terrible. Handling customers’ livelihood is not something that should be taken lightly, and I don’t think that they understand that. The process needs to be improved.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had to have surgery on my right rotator cuff, because it got to the point where I could barely even move my right arm. I had surgery on October 3rd, and they said they needed the operative notes to prove my surgery actually happened and was necessary. They received those, but only have me being paid for 5 of the 8 weeks my doctor told me I would need to be off of work. I called them 2 weeks ago to get an update, to see if they needed anything else. They said everything was good, and their team was reviewing the doctor's notes to determine if the additional 3 weeks off would be paid. I hadn't heard from them, so I called them yesterday to try to get an update. (by the way, the end of the 5 paid weeks is this Friday.)

They said they were still waiting to get notes from the doctor (which they had already told me they had), and that they had received an invoice for records request and I had to pay for it. I went into my doctor's office to pay for it, and they had no record of the charge. They said that's something that Matrix should pay. I called the 3rd party records release company, and they said Matrix pays that fee too. When I called my case rep Ethan, he said, "No, we don't ever pay that. It's in our contract. The patient pays for all records request fees." They're also saying they need to review if an implant that my surgeon put in my shoulder during the surgery was medically necessary, to determine if they will pay for my entire claim.

Are you serious?! If the surgeon did it during the surgery, it was because it was medically necessary to repair the tear in my shoulder. I fear the last 3 weeks of my claim will be denied, and I won't get all the payment I should. Also, when I called Ethan today to let him know I was told Matrix should be paying this fee, I asked how he was doing at the beginning of the conversation, as he had asked me how I was. His response was, "I'm really busy. I'm working on 4 other people's stuff right now." Well if he was so busy, why didn't he just let the call go to voicemail?

This is the first time I've called him and he's actually answered. I've always had to leave a voicemail, so that's what I was prepared to do. Don't answer the phone and then complain that you answered the phone. He is pretty good at returning voicemails, and that's what I was expecting to have to do. Just let me leave a voicemail, and when you have a moment, call or email me back. Don't complain because you decided to answer the phone.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I received excellent customer support from Long Term Disability (LTD) Claims Department Representative James **. I recently started receiving my LTD monthly payment after an extended hospital stay involving multiple open heart surgeries. Matrix sent me information on applying for Social Security Disability (SSD), and if I did not that it could result in a reduction in my monthly LTD Benefit. Unfortunately, I never received this correspondence because of my extended stay in the hospital recovering from these operations.

I contacted James **, and James took immediate action. He looked into my case, and agreed that because I was still in the Hospital, a Hardship Case was warranted. He took care of all of the paperwork, and was able to restore my monthly LTD Benefit until I was approved for my Social Security Disability Benefit. Thank you James for the excellent customer support, and removing the stress of this potential financial burden to my family! That was Excellent Customer Support!

Matrix Absence Management Company Information