2. Moving
  3. Renters Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5

Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I have had a renters policy with Liberty Mutual for over 10 years, great coverage at a really good price. Luckily have not had to ever file a claim, but I have the utmost confidence that in the event that I did have to file a claim, that they will take care of me promptly.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Heartless company! I have been with you guys since 2017. I don't have the option to cancel my auto-pay, or even delete the bank information online. The only option you have online is to change the payment information. You keep charging an acct that already returned the payment. The charge resulted to overdraft 2x! The $18.25 resulted to $70!!! and this corona scare is making it difficult for people to work! You can't even do anything! Washing your hands about overdraft! I understand the 1st was my fault, but I tried correcting it. I went online to try to change it but nothing was there. I accepted the $35 overdraft for $18.25 but to do it 2x in a month is simply absurd!

You know the money was returned bec of insufficient funds. Why do it again? March 4 you tried charging me, it was returned same day. Another charge you attempt on March 16. I contacted your chat support and you guys are washing your hands about "you couldn't see it in your system". It's impossible. The timeframe I understand but since March 4 to March 16 you still don't see it was returned? So how come your company tried to charge me again March 16 without my authority to do so. Now, I am stuck with $70 overdraft. Yes, I called my bank, but they couldn't do anything bec they don't have control on how many times you will try to keep on charging me. You can't do anything about the charge of overdrafft? You can at least put that money on the insurance bec that's more than 3x my monthly!

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I am very dissatisfied with my Rental Insurance policy. There were many fraudulent claims placed on my account that I was never made aware of over a three year renter's policy. I was placed on hold several times and sent to many voicemails when trying to fix the situation. Would not recommend to anyone.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I found out that even though I have full replacement coverage, they take the price you paid then depreciation. So... The 17" MacBook Pro I bought in 2009 and have my receipt for $2600 they will replace it with a similar model BUT they depreciate it until you have no way to pay to replace it UNLESS you use your own money to purchase a new one and turn in the receipt... Then they pay you back the amount of the depreciation.

What if I don't have any money or credit card? They discontinued the 17" MBP I paid $2600 for. The new ones have 13" and 15" screens and now cost $1200. I thought I would be able to take the $2600 and purchase a 27" iMac (my eyes are bad) for $1200 and have enough from the $2600 to buy a iPad Pro. Adding up took less than $2600. Ok was happy for one day until "similar model" is how you are renursed - a tiny laptop worth $1200. My $800 design software was lost as well. Bottom line - I'm screwed because I'm poor. This is true for the TV - sofa - lampshades - air purifier, etc... Ok have to buy it with own money first - and I live paycheck to paycheck.

My civil war era coverlet worth $1200-$3000 isn't covered at all because of fine print regarding antique-irreplaceable items. They depreciate that back to 1865 - which makes it worthless. So I must just keep damaged items and not be able to replace anything deemed ruined. I'm going to get nowhere near enough to even replace the basics like a sofa or TV, and this is because I'm poor. Poor people are not poor by choice - I sat and sobbed after getting off the phone with my agent.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I am telling everyone who has any sort of insurance policy with Liberty Mutual. I lost everything in my storage unit that was deemed damaged from hurricane Harvey according to my apartment manager. They are not covering me for anything and lost so much stuff in my storage unit. I'm have absolutely nothing good to say about this company! And I am not one for trashing any company but when I have a $100k policy and they won't cover $800 loss I am going to tell everyone because this is not right. There was serious mold over every item in my storage unit. I even sent them pictures and all they said was my policy doesn't cover it.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I had a lot of problems with other companies in the past. The last company I was with had super very high fees and I has to leave them. But, Liberty Mutual have the best coverage and you can pay monthly or day by day for a very cheap price. Receiving a Claim was one of the most easy things to do with them. I had a claim done in minutes of calling, I did have to wait some time after but it worked for the best. They had my problem resolve in minutes. I would recommend this.

Original review: March 25, 2017

The representatives at Liberty Mutual help as much as they are able to. However, the upper management blocks their ability to follow through with the contracts by forcing customer service representatives to use the loopholes they implemented. They will refuse or hold off processing based on technicalities. It was a struggle to force to go forward with my claim even with proper documentation. Their policy options are great. However, you are only covered until a claim is needed. Make sure you keep copies of your original agreement to refer to if a dispute arrives. If they actually covered what they agreed to cover then the coverage would be great. But if the coverage is fake, none of that matters when it's claim time!

Original review: March 22, 2017

Customer service is always friendly and professional. They are so helpful and knowledgeable. I am so happy with all the service I have received from them. My claims have always been handled quickly like it was their own claim they were trying to get through. They work their hardest to make sure that you are taken care of and to treat you like family. They work hard to make sure they find the best option to suit your needs so that you're not paying for more than you need and you're not inadequately covered. The coverage is exceptional. It meets all my needs and then some without me having to worry about it breaking the bank. A great company offering great coverage.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

The workers are very nice and they take the time to go over all the details. I would definitely recommend it to any of my friends and family members. They have so many policies to choose from. Great prices and it is worth what you pay for. Their coverage is awesome. I am very happy that I am covered in every way that fits my family situation.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I have experienced very good customer service while dealing with this company. They are always available to answer any questions I may have. This company has very many policy options to fit a wide variety of needs. They are very helpful in helping you choose which one is exactly right for you. Their coverage is very comprehensive although it is somewhat expensive.

Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual is one of the oldest insurance companies in America, founded in 1912. Liberty Mutual covers renters in all 50 states.

• Free online quote: The company's website offers and easy to use form to obtain an immediate quote.

• Local agents: Liberty Mutual offers a website search tool to find a local agent for in-person service.

• Renters insurance calculator: This free online tool will help calculate the value of belongings. Many renters undervalue their possessions and this tool helps to clarify how much coverage would be ideal.

• Claims-free savings: Liberty Mutual offers a discount to policyholders who have not made a claim, even with their previous insurance company, in the past five years.

• Spanish language site: The Liberty Mutual website is available in Spanish and Spanish-speaking customer service representatives are also available.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor