2.86/5

20 ResidentInsure Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 24, 2018

We used this insurance for a year as recommended by our landlord. I can't speak for the quality of the insurance itself as we never had a need to file a claim. However, as others have mentioned, the company forces you into an annual auto-renew that you can't opt out of. There is no way to cancel this auto-renew. Having read reviews prior to signing up, I was well prepared and used a credit card with an expiration of less than a year to ensure they couldn't steal an extra annual payment. But I also tried doing things correctly; I ended my service online well before the renew process took place and I called their customer service asking twice for verbal confirmation that I would not be charged. Despite this, a month later I just received a "payment failed" notification in my inbox. They actually tried to charge me.

There's no way this can be legal, and I'm sure someone with more motivation with me could probably contact an appropriate source to report this activity. But until that white knight shows up, be sure to use some form of payment that will be invalid in less than a year if you want to avoid being charged twice. Better yet, just pick one of the 42 billion other renters insurance companies out there. ResidentInsure doesn't deserve your business.

Original review: June 1, 2018

ResidentInsure is borderline criminal. They insure a lot of college students off campus housing, almost always these students' rentals are one short school year and done with the rental. Yet the ResidentInsure policies apparently auto renew a 2nd year. So bogus because they know these are college students 100% graduating and moving out. Their attempt to recharge our credit card was thankfully declined by our bank because the charge looked suspicious. And because they had an older cc expiration date. What about all the folks/parents who are now getting cc charges and not even noticing? Beware of these crooks.

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I moved out of my apartment 8 months ago and cancelled ResidentInsure via phone. Today I got an email letting me know that I had an automatic payment about to be processed. I called to see what was going on and apparently the policy was never cancelled. I was able to cancel today, but the person I spoke with would not issue the prorated reimbursement for the months I was not using the policy. That's easily $150 out the window. Extremely dissatisfied and will not use this company again!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I had some items stolen from my vehicle which was located on the premises of the insured property. Unfortunately, the most valuable items were not covered. Beware, because you think you are covered especially when you go through the online signup and you choose your coverage limits. Electronics are only covered up to $1000. Which I find incredibly low considering that laptops can cost 2-4x that amount. I was surprised to hear that after my laptop had been stolen I would not be able to cover the cost to replace it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This company is awful. I had insurance through them at the last place I lived. I moved and cancelled my policy with them, received confirmation of my cancellation, and I'm still being charged. I have called them 4 times now. The first 4 times I wouldn't be able to get a hold of anybody so I had to leave a message. The most recent time I managed to talk to someone but as soon as I mentioned I have a record of them cancelling my account I was transferred and put on hold until their phone system forced me to leave a message. Unless you plan on having a policy with them until the day you die I'd highly recommend not purchasing insurance from these people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ResidentInsure?

Original review: April 4, 2017

When my daughter transferred out of student housing ResidentInsure kept billing us for renter's insurance. They refuse to refund any of the months they charged us when she was no longer a resident there.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I moved out from an apartment and call talk to Resident Insurance agent to cancel the policy and stop automatic payment. However, they keep taking money out of my account for the next 3 months. When I notice that, I called and talk to them, they said they do not have a record of my previous phone call, so they cannot refund me. Learn from my mistake and do buy renters insurance from this company, they will rip you off.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

They have good customer's assistance and when you needed help they are very quick to respond. I was able to do my claims and was very successful and they have a very reasonable rates. They have great and awesome team that assist their clients and they are very responsive. With my claims and inquiries they offer the assistance they can give. They have good and reasonable rates. Very affordable but I have to leave for some reason that I need more options. As my family is growing I need something - more policy. Policy options for me is good but some are not on my match or I need more options as I'm growing a family and they have different needs.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

The claims process was very simple to me. You call the company or use their app and let them know of your issue. They immediately showed concern for me and my family. They made sure we were safe. On the app you are able to upload pictures which helps speed the process up. My claims process happened very quickly and I was very satisfied. The people I have dealt have been very polite and genuinely concerned about me and my needs. They always go the extra mile to help me. I would recommend this company to anyone I know that's renting.

The coverage was affordable and covered all my important possessions. The agent was able to help me understand what my policy contain so I did not feel helpless when I had to make a claim. They had a variety of plans depending on how much coverage you need. I feel they build their plans around people like me. They make sure they explain every option in detail so you are able to make an informed decision.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

Very helpful group of people that took well care of all the processing. Didn't require much effort on my part. No hassle system. Very enjoyed my experience with them. Good customer service that was friendly and did not act like they hated their job. Was happy to talk to them and will continue to use their service. Great coverage. Exactly what I needed to make sure I was covered if anything was to happen. I enjoyed having the peace of mind knowing I was covered by the service. Had a great policy option for me to choose from. Was able to get an affordable plan without paying too much for it. Would use the service again and recommend it to a friend.

ResidentInsure expert review by Matthew Brodsky

ResidentInsure is an independant insurance company that caters to the multi-family housing market with their exclusive renters insurance program. The company’s goal was to create an easy process to get the insurance policy you need, and at the price you can afford.

• Coverage: ResidentInsure has coverage options over liability claims, fire and smoke damage, water damage, theft and burglary and electrical damage.

• The process: To insure that people can receive renters insurance quickly, ResidentInsure has cut out the lengthy application process and have put it all into a simple four step quote process.

• Get a quote: To start the process to get renters insurance, users can click on the “Get Quote” button after entering a personal home zip code. From there, users must enter the date coverage should start and a contact e-mail address.

• Coverage details: The second step asks users to select the amount of liability coverage they need, how much their personal content is worth and the price of their deductible. It also gives you additional options asking about replacement costs, theft coverage, water backup and earthquake coverage.

• Customer information: Finally, users must submit a few items of personal information to complete the process. When this is entered, ResidentInsure provides the best coverage options and price based on each users unique criteria.

• Best for: Renters with personal property, renters with high risk and renters looking for an online experience.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky