2.84/5
Based on 19 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

19 ResidentInsure Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 1, 2018

ResidentInsure is borderline criminal. They insure a lot of college students off campus housing, almost always these students' rentals are one short school year and done with the rental. Yet the ResidentInsure policies apparently auto renew a 2nd year. So bogus because they know these are college students 100% graduating and moving out. Their attempt to recharge our credit card was thankfully declined by our bank because the charge looked suspicious. And because they had an older cc expiration date. What about all the folks/parents who are now getting cc charges and not even noticing? Beware of these crooks.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I moved out of my apartment 8 months ago and cancelled ResidentInsure via phone. Today I got an email letting me know that I had an automatic payment about to be processed. I called to see what was going on and apparently the policy was never cancelled. I was able to cancel today, but the person I spoke with would not issue the prorated reimbursement for the months I was not using the policy. That's easily $150 out the window. Extremely dissatisfied and will not use this company again!

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I had some items stolen from my vehicle which was located on the premises of the insured property. Unfortunately, the most valuable items were not covered. Beware, because you think you are covered especially when you go through the online signup and you choose your coverage limits. Electronics are only covered up to $1000. Which I find incredibly low considering that laptops can cost 2-4x that amount. I was surprised to hear that after my laptop had been stolen I would not be able to cover the cost to replace it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This company is awful. I had insurance through them at the last place I lived. I moved and cancelled my policy with them, received confirmation of my cancellation, and I'm still being charged. I have called them 4 times now. The first 4 times I wouldn't be able to get a hold of anybody so I had to leave a message. The most recent time I managed to talk to someone but as soon as I mentioned I have a record of them cancelling my account I was transferred and put on hold until their phone system forced me to leave a message. Unless you plan on having a policy with them until the day you die I'd highly recommend not purchasing insurance from these people.

Original review: April 4, 2017

When my daughter transferred out of student housing ResidentInsure kept billing us for renter's insurance. They refuse to refund any of the months they charged us when she was no longer a resident there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ResidentInsure?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I moved out from an apartment and call talk to Resident Insurance agent to cancel the policy and stop automatic payment. However, they keep taking money out of my account for the next 3 months. When I notice that, I called and talk to them, they said they do not have a record of my previous phone call, so they cannot refund me. Learn from my mistake and do buy renters insurance from this company, they will rip you off.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

They have good customer's assistance and when you needed help they are very quick to respond. I was able to do my claims and was very successful and they have a very reasonable rates. They have great and awesome team that assist their clients and they are very responsive. With my claims and inquiries they offer the assistance they can give. They have good and reasonable rates. Very affordable but I have to leave for some reason that I need more options. As my family is growing I need something - more policy. Policy options for me is good but some are not on my match or I need more options as I'm growing a family and they have different needs.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

The claims process was very simple to me. You call the company or use their app and let them know of your issue. They immediately showed concern for me and my family. They made sure we were safe. On the app you are able to upload pictures which helps speed the process up. My claims process happened very quickly and I was very satisfied. The people I have dealt have been very polite and genuinely concerned about me and my needs. They always go the extra mile to help me. I would recommend this company to anyone I know that's renting.

The coverage was affordable and covered all my important possessions. The agent was able to help me understand what my policy contain so I did not feel helpless when I had to make a claim. They had a variety of plans depending on how much coverage you need. I feel they build their plans around people like me. They make sure they explain every option in detail so you are able to make an informed decision.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

Very helpful group of people that took well care of all the processing. Didn't require much effort on my part. No hassle system. Very enjoyed my experience with them. Good customer service that was friendly and did not act like they hated their job. Was happy to talk to them and will continue to use their service. Great coverage. Exactly what I needed to make sure I was covered if anything was to happen. I enjoyed having the peace of mind knowing I was covered by the service. Had a great policy option for me to choose from. Was able to get an affordable plan without paying too much for it. Would use the service again and recommend it to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

I never had a claim while using this company, they were good in other ways. Price for their insurance was reasonable and they covered belongings and other things. I would recommend them to use as a rental insurance or car. When I would call for anything the company employees were always courteous and helpful. They did not put you on hold for long periods of time, they could usually fix any problems, like change of address, etc by phone. If you have a problem like a leaky faucet or overrunning toilet they would cover your belongings that may have gotten damaged. I do believe they cover fire and theft too. It covers your belongings inside and outside of your home. If I had to stay somewhere else it covered that. I think I paid under $20.00 a month for the policy.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

During the period that I had renters insurance, I never had to file a claim. But if I would have needed to, I would have been confident that it would have been handled professionally. Everything went satisfactory when I applied for the insurance. I feel like I was guided in the right direction in getting the coverage that I needed. I paid what I felt was a very small amount to have the assurance I would be covered. Options were spelled out in a way that was easy to evaluate what my needs were and what coverage I would need to pay for.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

They did promptly receive my claim however it was a very long road to get the claim settlement and payment as they were going out of their way to try and make me expect that the job done was less than my standard and what I had lost. Very short to return calls. However wouldn't seem to listen to who I needed to speak with that I couldn't speak to the adjuster due to non-English understanding on his part. I could not understand him as his English was very poor. I was happy with the coverage and the monthly premiums. It was an easy payment plan with an autopay features that allowed my payment to always be timely. It was sent out in an easy to read format and showed easily what was covered and when payments were due. It was very clear about what was not covered as well.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I never had to use the claims processing, since I never had to file a claim with them. They're a reasonably respected company, so I'm sure that their claims processing is just fine though. I never had an issue with customer service, and the one phone interaction I did have was pleasant and short. The phone menu was brief and quick in its routing to an actual living human being. Coverage was extensive and had I had an actual issue, nearly everything of importance to me would've been covered. Review your coverage for yourself. I just wanted basic coverage, and that's what I picked. Not sure folks looking into renters insurance are going to need some massive selection of policy options to choose from though.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Only had one claim. Had a break in and they stole a few things like a tv, stereo, and Xbox. The claim processed fairly quickly with no real problems. Customer service was just okay. Wait times on calls were longer than I would have liked; however, once I talked to someone they were nice and generally helpful. They covered everything that was stolen and damaged. Absolutely cannot complain about the coverage. Of course, you pay more for the great coverage. Several policy options were available. At the time, I was in college and didn't have a lot of money to spend. Esurance had several affordable options for poorer college students.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

Esurance is a really great company. They truly care about me as a customer and always do the most in order to make life easier for me and to provide the very best protection and coverage for me. They are truly an honest and caring company. I really feel like their customer service is truthful and honest and will never fail or let me down. They are always willing to be there for me and help me in my time of need and will provide the very best service. If I were to rate Esurance and their coverage, I would have to say and give it a great score of one hundred percent because they truly put forth great effort to please me as their customer. If I were to describe their policy, I would have to say that I am very hey and happy with it overall and they are always progressing into a much better company before and are always honest and trustworthy.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I lived in an apartment that had a combined package (ones that include gas, electricity, and internet) in Baltimore. When I moved out, I was charged for an entire year worth of renter's insurance. I'm highly disappointed that they charged without notifying me and I'm warning others about this scam.

Original review: June 17, 2016

Always there when I need them. Always do what they can to help their customers. No long waiting on the phone and no having to listen to the automated recordings for very long at all. I never had to actually do a claim. I just always made sure I paid my premium on time and they were very helpful in helping me take out the policy. If I had any questions, I knew I could call them and they would be able to answer my questions in a timely manner. They provided many different policy options. Umbrella, renters, car, motorcycle, home etc. The renters ins is very reasonable. I now have regular home insurance through them since I now own a home. My automobile insurance is through them as well. The coverage is great, especially with the automobile insurance I have through them now. I have the road side assistance and have used it a total of three times (due to locking my keys in my car). They are a very helpful insurance company.

Original review: June 15, 2016

Each time I had to speak to anyone in customer service they were always very professional and polite and took the time to answer any questions I had and explained each one with great detail and made sure I understood everything completely before ending my call. From the moment of the claims processing to the finished product was very quick and was to my complete satisfaction. The claim was always filed and processing began within 24 hours and I was always totally satisfied with the process time.

They offered numerous policy options that would meet any customers needs. You could add or change something if needed and they just wanted to make sure all potential customers were treated with respect and made me always feel appreciated. My policy was completely what I needed and I was able to have the coverage I thought I needed and the agent helped me to even add more coverage for the same cost in the off chance I would ever need the added coverage in the near future and I was totally satisfied.

Original review: April 28, 2016

I had to over pay my rental insurance, and not informed when I was to receive my obvious refund, that it would go on the credit card used for payment. Now that I cancelled, I can't receive my refund that they knew I would be requesting to be mailed to me. This seems like a very unprofessional way to do a business transaction. I no longer have the credit card I used, they still refused to refund my money. I have to wait for the credit company to reject it and then the credit card company is responsible on refunding my money. The credit card does not have my current address and was told to call them. I don't' believe that I have to go through all this to just get my refund that they knew would need to be refunded.

ResidentInsure expert review by Matthew Brodsky

ResidentInsure is an independant insurance company that caters to the multi-family housing market with their exclusive renters insurance program. The company’s goal was to create an easy process to get the insurance policy you need, and at the price you can afford.

• Coverage: ResidentInsure has coverage options over liability claims, fire and smoke damage, water damage, theft and burglary and electrical damage.

• The process: To insure that people can receive renters insurance quickly, ResidentInsure has cut out the lengthy application process and have put it all into a simple four step quote process.

• Get a quote: To start the process to get renters insurance, users can click on the “Get Quote” button after entering a personal home zip code. From there, users must enter the date coverage should start and a contact e-mail address.

• Coverage details: The second step asks users to select the amount of liability coverage they need, how much their personal content is worth and the price of their deductible. It also gives you additional options asking about replacement costs, theft coverage, water backup and earthquake coverage.

• Customer information: Finally, users must submit a few items of personal information to complete the process. When this is entered, ResidentInsure provides the best coverage options and price based on each users unique criteria.

• Best for: Renters with personal property, renters with high risk and renters looking for an online experience.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky