4.6/5 (241 ratings)

About Assurant Renters Insurance

Assurant offers comprehensive renters insurance that covers dry rot, fungi and mold, with specialized add-ons like pet and earthquake protection. The company lets you choose your policy deductible and supplemental coverage based on your specific insurance needs, and its coverage is available nationwide.

Top Assurant Renters Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

When we were hit by hurricane Florence, Assurant worked quick and fast to help us replace our damaged items. We had damages to a lot of our outdoor items and to some of our indoor...

Verified

Site is very easy to navigate! Straightforward and to the point! I’ve used Assurant in the past and did not have to file any claims. Insurance pricing and coverage are both great....

What is Assurant?

Assurant is a nationwide insurance provider that offers full-coverage and liability-only renters insurance. The company offers supplemental options including pet coverage, which pays for damages caused by your pets, and earthquake protection. With Assurant, you can choose your deductible and customize your policy coverage.

What does Assurant cover?

Assurant offers two policies. Its liability-only coverage is available only to its partner locations. It doesn’t cover your belongings, but it does offer protection in the case of damage by fire, water, smoke or explosion. Its full-coverage standard renter’s insurance package includes both personal property and personal liability coverage. Assurant also offers these optional coverages:

• Pet damage
  • Water sewer backup
  • Earthquake
  • Identity theft expense
  • Rent protection

How much is Assurant renters insurance?

Assurant’s renters insurance costs vary depending on the level of coverage you want. If you prefer not to pay monthly, the company lets you make a one-time, full-year payment, which can save you money on recurring charges. Also, if you use GEICO for auto insurance, you can bundle it with Assurant’s protection for a lower price. Assurant doesn’t post its rates online, but you can get a quote for your desired coverage on its website.

We used the company’s policy calculator to get an estimate for an apartment in the 74137 zip code — for a package with a $250 deductible that includes $100,000 in liability coverage and $10,000 in property coverage, the cost would be $15.02 monthly or $191 annually.

Assurant FAQ

Is Assurant owned by GEICO?
No, but GEICO can bundle Assurant’s renters insurance to provide deals for their customers.
What’s covered under Assurant’s renters insurance?
Assurant’s standard renters insurance policies cover damages from theft, fire, ice, vandalism and more. The company also provides some add-on coverage, including pet, earthquake, water sewer, rent (for if you become unexpectedly unemployed and can’t make rent) and ID theft protection.
Does Assurant cover water damage?
Yes, its renters insurance covers water damage, mold, fungi and rot.
Does Assurant cover bed bugs?
Its policies cover bed bugs in select states.

Is Assurant’s renters insurance good?

Assurant’s renters insurance might be a good option if you want supplemental coverage — many insurance providers don’t offer add-on options like pet and earthquake protection. Overall, its prices seem reasonable for its policies, and you can get discounts by bundling your coverage with other providers like GEICO.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Renters Insurance?

Original review: July 25, 2022

Everything seems so good so far, it was referred to us by our apartment agency and our property is extravagant and the payment plans are good. It's nice to go 5 months and not have to pay a bill during the summer. I just hope they pay damages as they claim they would if it is ever needed. I love the easy online payments. So I can only speak to one side of the experience and not the full experience. Client for a few years now. The last rate increase was a bit much. Insurance executives need to learn to take a pay cut from the top and pass it on to the renters who made them rich.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Okay. I am a single, "over the road" trucker and I am rarely able to be at home. I was not aware that my rental insurance had lapsed (it slipped through the cracks in my bill-paying) and I was very concerned that I was going to have a problem getting it reinstated. When I called the Assurant Renters Insurance number, the people were very helpful and the reinstatement was easily and almost effortlessly accomplished. I was pleasantly surprised and I give Assurant a 100%, "A+" grade. Everything is back in order now and all is well. I can be out here rolling and delivering stuff all over America without being concerned about my coverage! Excellent!

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Thank you, Lindsey! We are glad an agent was able to help with your issue.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I love Assurant and Geico. Before my dear brother passed away in May of 2020 we had used Geico since 2010 for auto and for our homeowners insurances as well as Bobby's motorcycle which is now mine and still covered by Geico so naturally when we lost the house to greedy mtge vultures and were forced to move so very far away from everything we knew and moved to a rental house (It was 10 yrs ago 26 Jan that we moved in here) we chose Geico/Assurant for our renters insurance and each year I do nothing and my motorcycle and renters insurances are auto renewed w/o me having to lift a finger and my payments are also auto paid from my bank acct each month. And nobody is less expensive for so much coverage as Geico and Assurant. BTW does Geico own Assurant?

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We value your input regarding our services, John. Thank you for sharing.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

My closet in my apartment complex collapsed on me causing me major injury and the loss of my job!! And now I fear I’ll lose my apartment, my car and everything else. Worst of all the leasing agent told me that the closets break often like it was supposed to make me feel better. And to call my renters insurance. That’s it. Not a care in the world. Sad world we live in so I hope my renters insurance can help me through this nightmare.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are so sorry to hear about this, Jillian, and hope that you are doing well. If you need help with your claim, please check the private message we have sent.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

It was so easy to apply for and obtain renter's insurance. I love the bundle with my car insurance. As a new car owner and a first-time renter, I was really nervous about the prospect of needing renter's insurance, but Geico made it so simple to be immediately covered. As a new car owner (as of 2019) I was nervous about how to go about getting car insurance and the cost. Geico solved all my problems and left me with a huge discount and a reasonable cost of coverage. I'm grateful to the individual who helped set up my policy because they helped everything be crystal clear! So simple and great coverage!

Assurant Renters Insurance response

That's great to hear, Lindsay! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Love the website! Super cute and bright colors! Easy to navigate and prices beat other major insurance companies!!! Can’t go wrong with this company! I was beyond pleased with how simple and streamlined the website was! Not only that the payment options definitely was the main reason I chose Assurant! After my 1st payment today I only have 3 reasonable payments left!

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Happy to hear you had an amazing experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Great experience that I've had. I would recommend people to go for it. The experience is great. So just ask questions if you do not understand and the representative will explain it to you in full detail. The experience is totally above and beyond your expectations.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Thank you for sharing your great experience with us! Glad to hear we were able to help.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I found it very easy to increase my coverage as I went through the renewal process. With inflation I decided it wise to increase the coverage amount. I find your premium quite good as well. Your website is easy to use.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

My home was broken into Labor Day weekend, & several items were taken. I filed the police report & filed my claim. It now 9/23 & I haven’t heard one word from the company. I’ve called 100x to adjuster goes straight to vm. I’ve called to speak with rep who said she couldn’t help but sent over a message. This is ridiculous. The situation of being violated in your own home is one thing but you pay all this money for situations like this & they do not even have the moral obligation to answer a phone call or return one back. This is horrible! & I will be canceling my policy no point of giving away free money

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are very sorry to hear about these concerns. Please see our private message requesting additional information.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

The process was easy. The instructions were clear and easy to understand. I have never had renters insurance before, so I did not know what to expect during the application process. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to get coverage online.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Glad to hear you had a smooth experience! Thank you for the review.

Assurant Renters Insurance Company Information