Assurant Renters Insurance

Compare Renters Insurance

Research top Renters Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If you have this company, be prepared to get the Department of Insurance involved. I work for an insurance company so I know some of the ins and outs of how the process should work. Of course there are exceptions from company to company, but the policies are underwritten by the company but have to fall in line with the rules and regulations set forth by the department of Insurance.

Let's start with the basics. The policy states no timeframe with which they have to handle a claim but also does not state a minimum processing time either. It does state that they have to handle your claim quickly and efficiently and with fair consideration. I will start by saying I submitted my claim on a Friday. I waited until Monday and called them to do a follow up. They started by saying that this claim was going to take 30 days to process. I stated this was unacceptable and asked how I could make it faster and they stated to send them all the required documents. I sent them everything they asked for minus receipts for all of my items as I did not have them anymore. I called back the next day to make sure they received my documents and they informed me it takes 48 hours to get the documents and upload them and then the adjuster calls the next day. So 3 days there.

I spoke with a manager and they got the documents uploaded faster and moved my claim along that day. Then they told me most of my items were going to be denied because I did not have receipts. I advised them at that time if they did that it's not only illegal but in direct violation of the rules and regulations set forth by the department of insurance. If I am listing high end items that don't match up with the income level or policy coverages, then they can ask for proof of ownership like receipts and deny items they feel reasonably are not accurate. However, they cannot simply deny items because they don't have receipts. After advising of this, their whole tune changed and they approved all of my items. They ended up processing my claim within 5 days, but I had to threaten to get the Department Of Insurance involved in their illegal activities.

Then a week later, I informed them that I had found more items missing and needed to supplement these items. They immediately told me my claim was now going to go under review and be sent to the fraud department. I canceled my supplement until I could speak with corporate about this. They treated me the same way. I feel like a criminal and was treated like a criminal for using the insurance I paid for. I have never had a claim in 12 years and have always paid my renter's insurance anywhere I was living. It's ridiculous that I get treated like a criminal, have my items denied, have to threaten to bring the department of insurance into the claim and then deal with a company that demands payment of insurance each month on time, but then takes their sweet time in processing your claim.

My tools were stolen and I needed them for a few projects I was working on. My truck was sitting not running and my boat is a major project and they were expecting me to be without my truck for 30 days... If you have this company for insurance, leave. If you don't have them and are considering them, run away as fast as you can. They go through Geico for Renters and homeowners. So if you quote through Geico for renter's, this is the company they use. I also sent my claim to the Department of Insurance for review and they are currently reviewing it. I also sent this complaint to the Better Business Bureau.

I got renters' insurance and had a robbery of my property. It has been 2 months and I still have not received settlement for my claim. I have been calling almost every single day for the past 1 1/2 months and am always sent straight to voicemail or told that the adjuster Robyn ** is busy. And sometimes when she does find the time to respond it is via email (even though I always specify to CALL me back!!). And the few times I have talked to her on the phone she has been rude and condescending. She has now turned over my claim to a George **, who I'm now having the same issues with.

The people at Assurant are unprofessional, untimely, and just plain rude. I feel as though I am paying for insurance for nothing! I got a lot of valuable property stolen and they are making me jump through hoops in order to be compensated. Filed on January 2, 2017 and as of today February 27, 2017 I still have not been compensated in any way yet I've still been paying for coverage.

I feel uninsured. Horrible service. Did not want to replace my heavily soot damaged furniture. With a 20,000 dollar policy they offered me 3,000 to replace everything I owned that was damaged by a fire. I would never recommend this company to anyone. Customer service reps are rude. Canceling this coverage as soon as I am done with my claim, may even get a lawyer.

Had 2 Work Station MacBook Pros stolen from Apt as I was getting ready to ship. Ran up to the post office to grab the materials, nice summer day, windows all open and door unlocked. Small town in IL. Came back, not even 15 mins later. The boxes, the computers all gone from my bed where I had placed them. Neighbor thought they saw someone go in, but thought it was me. Cops weren't able to help, happened in broad daylight. Passed over the information about the computers, 15 inch retina display maxed specs for rendering stations, still technically new in box. They were back ups, if my primary failed. Never been turned on for more than 2 hours. Gave receipts and costs ranges and old repair costs receipts from Apple with Serial numbers and everything. Apple locked the systems so the person who stole them, got nice paperweights.

Assurant tried to claim that since they were older, they depreciated over 90%. They offered me ~$470 for BOTH as the stolen payoff. I explained to her that Apple computer systems are not PC's, they don't depreciated/ While I spent $3,500 A PIECE brand new, even refurbished during that time, I could get the same systems for 2,800. The Rep tried to bully me into saying yes and agreeing to the payment. I even said that I needed to talk to my wife about what she was offering and to technically see what I had in savings to see if I could replace them out of pocket, since the insurance I have been paying for (6 years with no claims) was refusing to pay. The REP would NOT let me hang up the phone and literally kept saying that they will deny it if I was to hang up and not agree to the terms. I refused.

Called my lawyer, then contacted the Insurance Bureau for the state. After giving them all the serial numbers and information with Apple invoices of the same products as "refurbished" and getting a professional contact input about "computer depreciation" I got the money to replace the systems. Don't fall for Bully tactics. If they say you have to do something, you laugh and say, no. Be sure to file any complaints to the State Insurance Controller Body. Assurant or (insurance company of Florida) has well over 13,000 complaints in the State of IL alone.

Assurant is a horrible company that I can't stress enough to not do business with. I've been/was a client for over 5 years with the company owning a renters insurance policy until recently. An error in my annual billing occurred and the company was unable to process my annual renewal, so what did they do, supposedly send a letter. No human touch, like a call letting you know you're going to lapse in coverage but a computer that sends out a letter. My wife and I's apartment was recently burglarized and I went to file a claim. What I found out instead was because the policy had lapsed I was SOL. Yes my fault as well big time, but just something, a heads up saying that you need to clarify your payment would have been nice, not a robot computer letter. These people are crooks and I'm surprised GEICO does business with such horrible people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Renters Insurance?

Assurant Insurance is a rip-off! Suggest you use another agency. When it comes to paying out claims, the company uses excuses and alternative language to seek out not paying. I had water damage in the downstairs drywall that came from a toilet leak. The repair person for the toilet wrote that the toilet was incorrectly pitched and invoiced me $2500 if I wanted to correct the pitch. This was total BS, but it is how Chicago repairman make money. I paid for the repair of the blockage and sent him on his way. When I submitted this claim, Assurant said the leak came from the toilet not being installed correctly and reneged on paying. What a load of...

The fact that we suffered a loss due to burglary was horrible. But the experience of working with the claims department of Assurant was worse. Their adjusters' hours is 8-5. So if you work during the day impossible to handle anything. They denied paying for damage of the door. It's been 2 months since break in & still trying to replace items. I don't recommend anyone to get a policy from them. They are a subsidiary of Geico.

I had them as a Renter Insurance policy for a few years. Had a Back up in Cellar and my kids, mine and grandkids stuff got ruined. Well to make this short after 2 YES 2 long months I finally got a hold of someone. Was told in 1 day "oh he writing estimate up" and then the next day they said NOTHING, YES NOTHING is covered - not even mine. They said cause none of the stuff was mine "BS" and under the policy flood I am not cover.

I said "This is not a flood... this was due to back up..." and what bothers me is they all knew of this cause when I explained it to the adjuster and the claims rep millions times when I called in a claim and explained what happen and when he was here taking pictures wasting my time... THEY KNEW of this - WHY THE HELL MAKE me go through all this label this and that and the amounts and etc, etc to tell me after 2 months of no communication in any form whatsoever and in 1 day tell me "You don't qualify" and my claim was closed. This is a RIP off company if I ever seen and not even my stuff is covered!!! Paid faithful every year and for what??? Nothing.

I'm switching and I advise all if you have ASSURANT change company fast cause you're not getting paid REGARDS!! fire, water damage, theft. They don't care - VERY UNPROFESSIONAL and the worse company I have ever dealt with. No communications nothing. No compassionate. NOTHING. All they want is your money and you better hope nothing happens cause you're not getting paid. Waste of time. All I asked for was communication and they knew my policy and when I explained to the claims lady why didn't she said "oh sorry Ma'am you're not covered" but said instead YES I was.. who is lying here?? And then said above all I wasn't being paid for nothing cause the stuff belong to my kids and they didn't live here!! What??? I explained the mailing address is here - yes they were to Dec 2015 they moved out and in Feb 2016 this happen. Where they putting all their stuff in a 1 bedroom apt...

This company is label a 500 company. YEAH RIGHT. Now I know why you are taking people's HARD WORKING MONEY and putting in your pockets and we stand here alone and scratching our heads like what just happen... This isn't right and I am writing to the BBB cause this is a scam if I ever seen one... BEWARE - RUN!!!

I moved to a new city when I was 22 years old. A big city. NO FAMILY. NO FRIENDS. My father bought me a year of renters insurance in advance from Assurant in my name. I was excited and nervous about starting a new life. One morning I came home to my apartment being empty. All my TVs, my laptop, my computer. I lost EVERYTHING. I was distraught and scared. I sat in my empty apartment crying and waiting for the police to arrive. They had broken open the back door. I immediately called Assurant to file a claim. After 2 days Assurant told me I needed a paper copy of the police report directly from the police department. I complied. Waited in line for 2 hours. I was told my case was going to investigations. That was fine I had nothing to hide. The agent's name was Catherine. She was the worst human being I have dealt with in my life. I was told a "normal 22 year old doesn't have this much stuff."

This was EVERYTHING I had to my name. EVERYTHING. I didn't have all the receipts, some of it I had for years. Most of it were gifts from family for graduation and Christmas. I spent 7 months trying to get what was mine back. One year in advance payment got me nothing except being to the point of suicide because I sat in an empty apartment alone with nothing, robbed by horrible people and liars for insurance. Finally after being brought to tears multiple times with this lady and threatened with legal action when I was being nothing but honest, I gave up. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. PLEASE. She sent me a $25.00 check for a new GoPro I got from my brother for my birthday. I sent her the $250.00 new receipt. This company isn't just a scam, they are awful people.

I opened a renters insurance policy with this company in March of 2016. In October of 2016, I filed a claim due to a theft of some very valuable things from the property. After weeks of sending in document after document, come to find out, Assurant DOESN'T COVER MOBILE HOMES. My claim was denied and they continued to take money out of my checking account after I told them to cancel the policy back to the beginning because I should NOT pay for something they wrote up incorrectly. Now they've told me they can only cancel it back to the date the claim was filed. This company is HORRIBLE.

I bought renters insurance through Geico. I asked them specifically about my moped. They told me that if it was under 49c.c. then it was considered a bicycle and was covered. My moped was stolen from my house in the middle of nowhere. I filed a police report and the officer asked me if I had renters insurance and I said yes. He said that I should be fine and they should cover it. I wasn't worried about it at all.

I filed the claim through Assurant and didn't hear back from them for a few weeks. Then they told me that they wouldn't cover it. I tried to find my policy and what they would cover. I still can't find it, it wasn't sent to me and I can't find it on their website. I accepted this and asked if they would cover the items in the seat (helmet, glasses, gloves). They said they would but my deductible was 500 dollars. They did tell me that I would have a 500 dollar deductible over the phone originally but they said it was only for if I broke someone else's things kind of like auto insurance. The items in the seat might have been worth 200 dollars total. So not only would they refuse to pay for the moped but they wanted 300 dollars on top of the 1,000 dollars that was actually stolen from me.

My recommendation is to totally understand and see your policy in writing. Don't accept verbal assurances. A 500 dollar deductible for theft isn't normal. Deductibles are normal in other insurances but if it isn't your fault then you shouldn't pay. The price of the insurance was very reasonable. I only paid 20 dollars a month to have a false sense of security.

I moved to Durham in August and called up Assurant to set up the renters insurance. They signed me up over the phone and said I could log in and check the details. They told me I could do monthly payments but every payment would have a charge or I could do 4 payments once every 3 months. This way the charge per transaction would be less. I opted for the 4 options but to receive the policy, I tried but it wouldn't let me log in. I filled a complaint form but never got a call back.

In October I got a bill saying "you need to make your payment" so I tried logging in but it wouldn't recognize my policy number which had me worried. They were charging me but I didn't exist on the system. I called them to be told I can make the payment online. I told them more than the payment I was concerned that god forbid if I wanted to file a claim or something I wouldn't exist on the system. Anyway they got resolved in October but let me tell you they were more concerned about the billing than the online login.

So having paid the second payment in October, I get another email saying to make the third payment in December. And I'm like "wait I just made the payment in Nov!" Anyway I call them to tell me I signed up for it so I can't change it because you can only change 30 days into the policy (mind you I didn't have access and I have email proof of me reaching out to them!). The guy says, "You've made two payments so you knew this was the policy." I said, "No, I didn't know because I couldn't sign into the policy details on the website!" He tells me, "There's nothing I can do," and that if I don't make the payment I will get a grace period (which btw is 20 days) but then the policy will expire.

I've already paid for the service till January end (as of right now!) but if I don't pay the 3rd installment, my policy will stand cancelled! How this is legally allowed is beyond me but legal or not I would advise NOT to take this insurance! They're only money minting company with rude and horrible customer services and they treat you as if you've committed a crime!

This company appears to be incompetent or a scam. When filing a claim for a stolen bike, both their number 1.888.260.7736 and their website https://w2.assurant.com/aic/login.html send you on infinite loops of sending you back to the beginning of the phone tree or logging you out of the member's area of the site.

Claim denied - A storm came through about a week before it tore most of the sheets of board off the walls. The boards could not be used or apply to building again. Also the wind and rain damage was everywhere. All around the building was soaked and had warped and turned black all around the building. I also had some things in it that I didn't want to get wet like my lawnmower, drills and tools that when they got wet they rusted. I had a few more items but they were ok. My main concern is the mower, tools and the building. The building needs to be replaced. I have had parts of the floors replaced too but it is not to suit me.

I had these guys for renters insurance. Their claims service was horrible. Yeah, they are cheap, but they deny claims right off the bat. And the ones they finally do approve, you have to fight for months to get said approval. I switched over to one of Allstate's local branches in Hampton and they were amazing! You can speak with actual people about your claim and they are available to call anytime and more than happy to help explain things. With Assurant, I thought I was covered for all my personal property. I had my car broken into and my phone and gps got stolen.

They denied my claim. They said they needed a receipt. I tried submitting a bank statement from the time I purchased said items but they said "tough luck". When I switched to Allstate, they said they've never had that problem. They actually have the fastest claims payment in the industry and my monthly payments are only $1.23 more every month with an extra $5,000.00 in coverage. If you're in Virginia, Allstate is way better than Assurant. I use the office in Hampton off of Big Bethel Road.

We get renters insurance on our mobile home and pay it for months then our mobile home gets broken into and when we file a claim they tell us after waiting a month that they aren't going to be able to cover the things that we lost because they don't cover mobile homes. What the hell kind of ** is that. Then we have to wait another month for them to put the money back into our account. I would never recommend anyone to get insurance with these people ever. They have poor customer service. They are the sorriest insurance company ever to be known.

I had my apartment broken into during my vacation out of the country. I bought renters through Geico because that's what my car insurance was. I figured it was just as good as Geico once payment went through, and it stated a different company. Needless say, I get back from vacation and file a claim with Assurant and the Police, and it hasn't gone well. My complex/another proof that I was robbed reported the incident with the police because I was out of the country in the middle of the Gulf! I come back to file what was missing, and they not ONCE said I had to get a copy of the updated report by coming to the station, or filing a report online to get one. It took a MONTH for anyone to reply.

Once I sent it to Assurant to process my claim, they looked it over, and asked for proof of ownership through receipts or pictures. I had pictures/boxes for EVERYTHING, but they said I would get only 50% back for "depreciation," and that if I had receipts, I'd get more back. HOWEVER, even with proof of receipts, they only give me an additional 25% total of the cost to replace it! They said I still had depreciation for it being after 5 years, but my camera equipment was immaculate as it is my livelihood! Lenses for DSLR cameras NEVER ever lose value! Especially ones that are more than $500 or more! I clearly sent them the manuals, the boxes, and receipts for ALL 4 lenses and my camera, but I only get 75% of each to replace it!

Does that sound like it would easily be able to replace my equipment for my JOB? HECK NO! I have to stop my JOB to replace my equipment that I can't AFFORD to replace because they won't even give you the FULL REPLACEMENT cost to do so! How do you pay more for replacement cost, but still don't get the amount to REPLACE your items? This company is absolutely crooked! My policy, and everything I read states replacement with depreciation, but the adjuster states I have replacement cost WITH depreciation. HOW IN THE WORLD DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? They definitely lost a customer with me. They even put my policy into AUTO-RENEWAL as well, luckily I caught that before it would had went through, or I'd be fighting this some more. This company is an absolute FRAUD!

I had my 80-dollar iPhone stolen from my apartment and they would not cover it. They tell me cell phones don't apply. They are crooks so I cancelled my policy immediately. I see why they have one star. People should beware of this company.

I had my car broken into and my golf clubs stolen. This happened May 22, 2015. I had immediately filed a police report and called Assurant. I was given a claim number and told I would be receiving paperwork to file a claim. About a week later Assurant emails me and says "All attempts at reaching me have been unsuccessful". Huh? You guys just emailed me! I tried multiple times to file their paperwork online but no luck. Their website said "invalid account number". Huh? I typed it in off the letter Assurant sent me. I finally get a hold of my 'agent' who keeps apologizing for inconveniences. Well, quit causing the problems. The next day I upload the forms and receipts the agent asked for and asked him to contact me to make sure everything made it through.

Turns out, Assurant doesn't tell you this, your policy number? Yeah, you have to leave the last 2 digits off. Then it wouldn't let me sign in. They say wrong phone number. Huh? On June 1 I call Assurant's customer service. Four people and 25 minutes on hold later a lady reads me the wrong phone number they say I gave them. I had talked to my 'agent' the day before and he had the correct number. The customer service lady says "Sorry but the agent's can't change information in the computer system". Huh? On June 5th I emailed the receipts for my golf clubs because Assurant says I still have to prove ownership. I did this once but I do know sometimes attachments don't go through emails.

I send it again and again ask my 'agent' to contact me and let me know if he received. ZERO response back. On June 15th I resend these same receipts and again ask for a response so I know if these receipts made it through. ZERO response back. I call again today June 19th and dial my 'agent's' extension and I get someone else. Huh? I demanded to talk with someone regarding this. I just want to know if my documents are there and are they processing my claim. This new person says yes, she'll mark it in my file as received and I should see this update on the website. SURPRISE! Not there. She also said a manager would call me today and update me on my claim. Guess what? It is now 5:30 pm EST and they don't pick up the phone anymore. As soon as this claim is done, I am done with this company and I plan on letting everyone know about it.

I filed a theft claim with my renter's insurance and received a lot of excuses, and reasons why my claim was still pending. Every time I called to speak to my claim handler, he was busy and never returned my calls. Each representative gave me different status updates on the claim, so I think they try their best to get you to drop claims so they don't have to pay them. The best bet is to call once in the morning and again at night - hopefully your claim won't stay in limbo as long as mine did. Will not renew policy with Assurant, as they are a waste of your time and money.

When your apartment building catches on fire causing significant damage to your personal belongings the last thing you need is an insurance company that does not deliver what they promise. I signed-up with Assurant through Geico for renters. I'm grateful I had renters in my situation, so far it's been better than nothing, but not by much.

When I signed-up for my policy I included replacing damage items at today's value. It was never disclosed how I would be able to replace my item since the insurance company only ever gives you a depreciated cash value. It requires additional work to save money to purchase and replace and then submit a receipt for a percentage of the amount you lost when they depreciate your item. You also only have a limited amount of time to replace this item to receive this added benefit that you paid for.

I read my policy and they never disclose any information about dealing with claims. Nor do they tell you specific reasons if your claim is denied or anything about this hoop jumping method of receiving the replacement cost of your items. I called their customer center to ask them these questions several times, but no one could provide me with any answers of what happens once you submit a claim. They play the ignorant card very well and because of that they have lost a customer.

I have my auto insurance through Geico. We needed renter's insurance for the apartment we are in so we signed up through Geico. Geico sent me to Assurant. The initial sign up for renter's insurance was simple and they were very efficient charging my credit card. I also signed up for an umbrella policy with Geico. After a couple of weeks, Geico informed me that I needed to increase my liability coverage on my renter's insurance to $300K. I contacted Assurant and was sent a form to fill out and email back. I have spent the last 11 days emailing and telephoning Assurant. They are stuck on the fact that I live in Woolwich Township (the address of the apartment complex) but our mailing address is Swedesboro (post office location). They just sent me an email to tell me that I need to go back to square one and resubmit the paper work. They cannot tell what address to use.

Instead I went to Esurance and bought a policy with the correct coverage. It starts tomorrow. I will cancel the Assurant coverage tomorrow. Trying to communicate with Assurant is impossible. Response time is usually at least 24 hours and they never answer a direct question. This should have been a simple change. I have had homeowners insurance for 25 years and never had a claim.

The people above me were out of town and their water heater broke. I was also away for a couple days for work so I wound up coming home to a collapsed ceiling and water pouring down throughout my entire apartment. I was recommended this renter's insurance by my apartment complex. (I am sure they receive some sort of kickback for any one who signs up for it). I submitted my claim and they did not sent an adjuster out for three days to survey the damage. (By then, things had been starting to dry up). The adjuster was extremely rude and showed no empathy towards my situation. My brand new Mac, Ipad and TV were soaking wet. Along with my brand new couch, almost all of my clothing and shoes and other things in my apartment. They said that the electronics will not be able to be considered losses if they turned on. But what electronics are able to get wet and still function properly?

Because my Ipad turned on, it is not considered a loss so I will not receive any compensation for it. But who knows what the water damage will do to my stuff in 6 months. Very frustrating!!!!! After the adjuster took a look at everything, he could not let me know when I would hear back from anyone about my claim. He just seemed to toss it into another person's lap who will not return any of my calls either. You would think they would reach out to me first but all of my contact has been me calling them because I have been left in the dark not knowing what is going on.

After reviewing my policy, I realized my coverage was way lower than what I actually needed. (I understand this was my fault for not researching my coverage but after price shopping other insurance companies, I could get four times the coverage for less than what I paid for the crappy coverage I have). The customer service is unbearable. I work in a customer-focused industry and if I treated any of my clients the way this company treats theirs, I would be out of a job. I am still in the midst of working out the final claim but every one I talk to does not seem to know what is going on and just blames it on someone else.

I have learned a great deal from this experience and this has taught me to do your research about the company you will be relying on when you need help the most. I would not recommend Assurant renter's insurance to anyone. I have voiced my opinion to them on how I feel I have been treated but no one cares or seems to want to make it right. They are seriously the worst company I have ever dealt with. Sorry to rant people but this company has seriously made me angry!!!! Good luck if you are stuck with this company and I hope you have a better experience than I do!!!

I had Ass-u-rant's terrible renter's insurance. What angered me the most is how they conned me into paying installments at a much higher rate instead of one flat fee, without any indication that these installments over 6 months are significantly more than paying one fee. If I had known, I just would have paid the one fee. Assurant then jacked up the monthly installment fees.

When I emailed them asking if the price went up, they responded by saying that the *premium* was the same. In this email they purposely ignored that they had significantly increased the monthly installment fee charge and tried to make it sound like I was paying the same amount. One would have to do their own comparison looking at past rates to figure out how much the fees went up and not trust their email response. They refused to refund me. Pursuing it anymore wouldn't be worth the time. Due to their deceptiveness and shady practices, I'd recommend going elsewhere.

When I bought this policy I was told by the salesperson that this was a REPLACEMENT value policy. I assumed it meant just that. When I filed my claim for theft it was insane. I sent some receipts and video of the property via email. The adjuster called and said that she could not view video because of her software. I told her that I could ascertain stills from the video and forward those to her.

I ended up taking HOURS to get those images from the video and had to send them over several emails because of attachment size. A few days later we had a call to review the photos. She started asking what device I took photos with, at which time I made the disclaimer, "I took some with my iPad and some with my iPhone and I can not be sure which was from which. They all ended up in my iCloud account on my iPhone so I will say iPhone for brevity's sake. We went through all the photos without incident. The next day I receive a call from "special investigations unit" for a follow up interview. She told me there was an issue with 4 photos but would not tell me what. I wasn't particularly concerned as I knew all pics were taken by me of the original items and they had not been altered, although I did find it strange that they just would not be straightforward with their "valued" customer.

Regardless, the questioning began and she asked repeatedly the following questions, "When did you take this photo, what Device did you use, was it altered and is it a picture of a picture?" Again, I told this woman that I was saying my iPhone because that is the roll where most of the pictures were consolidated and forwarded from. I answered the other questions accurately. At the end of the conversation she states, "These 3 items were photographed after the loss date". I was FLABBERGASTED and vehemently denied, telling them it must be an issue with their software.

When I got off the phone, I immediately went to my photos to figure out what the hell was going on. The issue was that I had pulled stills from the video after being told they were unable to view the video and those pictures were showing a date after the loss. I immediately called back and left a message with both the special investigations lady and my adjuster, NEITHER bothered to return my call for over a week as they had absolutely no interest in resolution. I sent an email explaining in DETAIL what had happened and no response for over a week. The next week I receive a voice mail from my adjuster saying she is forwarding to her manager and director. I write her and ask at this point ALL correspondence be in writing as they had a tendency to piece meal sound bytes to deny you money.

I get a settlement offer. My claim was from 4800.00. They offer 1374.00... They state that the photos were taken after the loss date, COMPLETELY DISREGARDING the fact that they were made aware that video stills would be used and DEPRECIATED everything else.. Now, I am not in insurance, but my understanding was I bought a replacement value policy. And I am not quite sure how 27% of my loss could be utilized to replace my entire loss. I wrote back, refusing the offer and telling them if they stated that I submitted photos taken after the loss date one more time, we could discuss libel with my attorney as they were accusing me of fraud. The adjuster writes back stating that I did not have a "depreciation rider" and AGAIN says that 3 items were not covered for being photographed after loss.

I have now forwarded to my attorney and the insurance commissioner. Shame on these guys, trying to cheat people who are desperate after suffering losses. Reprehensible. If you have a policy with them, I would suggest canceling it. If they have tried to cheat you out of a claim, send it to the insurance commissioner! The more people that speak up, the less latitude they have to pull this shady crap. Also, NO MATTER who your policy is with, something is up if they won't send you the fine print...

I get to know Assurant through my auto insurance Geico. I opt for them because Geico recommend them and Geico treat me well. I'll always recommend Geico to anyone. I started my renters policy September of 2013. I renew my policy after a year and in October 3 of 2014 I came home, leaving work early. 2 hours 30 min after leaving home and notice that my apartment was burglarized - all my electronics, jewelries up to my piggy bank and my Mom's medication. Approximately items worth over $5,000. I filed my claim, submitted all documents including receipt I could find and photos and police report. I can't believe that this people just paid me $ 1, 3300 for everything claiming devaluation and refuse to pay me for items that I can't provide receipt for. It was a nightmare for me and my family. I'm finding another insurance company at the end of my policy period. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO EVEN MY ENEMIES.

Assurant Inc./American Bankers Insurance has the most unethical claims settlement practices I've seen in years. I recently experienced a fire loss in May and the company, through "Bad Faith Claim Handling," has caused direct increase to my loss over ten times the original estimates. In that, Assurant Inc./American Bankers Insurance, deliberately attempted to underpay my claim, offering only one thousand dollars to at the time, to cover a twenty two thousand dollar loss. Having still not settled this claim, my electronics, having been inspected, have now suffered irreparable damage from the continued smoke/soot exposure in which they have been exposed.

I had personally obtain the services of an Industrial Hygienist to get them to even budge. Furthermore, her report indicated that the HVAC System should have ceased use immediately following the fire and that my residence was unsafe to live in. With all of this at their disposal, Assurant continued to expose both my health and property to unsafe conditions for over 60 days. They refused to implement my Loss of Use Coverage allowing me to get a hotel. They have refused to pay within my policy limits to clean and/or replace my contents. They have forced me to now hire an attorney, Industrial Hygienist and an Electronics Remediation Company, all at my expense and close to eight thousand additional dollars out of pocket, just to seek a fair settlement. But enough is enough. We are in process of seeking a Class Action Suit against this insurer for their "Bad Faith Practices," and the gross negligence they demonstrate.

I signed up With GEICO for identity fraud and called about a month to cancel my policy. The rep on the phone could not find my policy and said I had no policy. Few weeks later I saw a charge on my bank account for it so I called GEICO back and they transferred me over to Assurant. Long story short, Assurant would not refund me the charge they said simply bc I called GEICO to cancel and not them. It was GEICO rep who sold the insurance to me and that is the reason why I called. I finally got a GEICO rep on the phone bc I wanted to see if they would stand behind. They totally transferred me a machine saying that the office is not open.

So I filed a claim with Geico who uses Assurant for their claims on 6/23/2014. I provided the Adjuster Brain with all the documents I could. They want a receipt for every single item that was stolen. Who actually keeps up with all of that, especially for clothes and other small things? And I definitely didn't have receipts for items that were gifts. But the problem comes from the fact that it is currently 8/19/2014 and I still have not received any response on my claim. The adjuster won't return calls or emails. Called to speak to his supervisor and customer service said they would email them. Still no response. Pissed to the max.

Website states renters protected by Windstorms and agreement has many hidden elements that really do not protect you (False advertising). A major windstorm in Chicago forced an opening in my garage on the sides of my wall. An inspector came out to inspect but didn't fully inspect correctly leaving me with loopholes we were not aware of. My policy was left in limbo for over 2 months without any resolvement and then later uncovered two very unprofessional employees with Assurant Renters Insurance that tried not to pay the claim (Mr. Angel ** and Mr. Alex ** vice president).

I asked repeatedly for a re-inspection and both the inspector Mr. Don ** and Mr. ** teamed up against me denying the claim. I remained calm and requested another contact which was Mr. **, vice president of claims and he was very quick and did not want to speak too long on the phone. I tried to explain to him about what is on the website along with my claim which is Valid and requested a re-inspection. He refused as well as refused to give me his superior's name. I asked twice why wouldn't he give me his superior's name and he just refused. Also, advised him that I can prove the inspection was not correctly completed and he did not want to speak and ended the conversation.

My claim was left opened for over 6 months mainly due to the company not wanting to pay any claims and used terminology I am not familiar with which was the deciding factor. I sent over screen shots of their website where they state coverage due to windstorms but they denied this even though proof was sent. I never ever experienced a company to tag team a conversation with loud and condescending remarks even though I remained calm and collected. I truly believe coverage needs to be displayed on their website since it’s really false advertising and with so many loopholes. This company is not very honest.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Assurant is a specialty insurance company headquartered in Florida. Founded in 1947, Assurant grew to become a Fortune 500 company and now offers specialty insurance including renters’ and apartment insurance.

• Coverage: Assurant Renters Insurance protects your belongings against theft or damage from fire, smoke, flooding or explosions. If something happens to make your apartment or rental home uninhabitable, Assurant provides living expenses.
  • Flexibility: If you need to buy a policy for a child attending college, or if you want to purchase one policy with a roommate, Assurant Renters Insurance makes it easy. In fact, you can have up to four people listed on a policy.
  • Simple process: It takes less than five minutes to purchase a policy. There are only a few questions to answer, and you can do it all online.
  • Affordable premiums: Rental insurance shouldn’t be expensive. Assurant’s plans start at just 44 cents a day.
  • Financially-strong company: Assurant is a Fortune 500 company with $30 billion in assets. If you ever need to make a claim on your policy, you can be assured that this company can take care of you.
  • Best for house and apartment renters, especially those with valuable possessions.

Compare Renters Insurance