It's that easy Request Information
1.42/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Assurant helps renters protect what matters most: their stuff! We offer, custom-fit renters insurance that protects more than 2 million people across the country. Our plans protect the belongings of residents and roommates against fire, theft, water and more. When the unexpected happens, customers can call or email our high-rated customer service teams and enjoy fast, friendly and efficient service throughout the entire claim process.

Assurant Renters Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

My car was broken into on 9-27-19. My briefcase, which contained my laptop, as well as tickets to a concert, was stolen. After filing a police report, I called to file a claim the same day. I was sent to a website by the person that fielded my call. I was told I would be contacted in a few days by an adjuster, but never received a call. After patiently waiting a week, I called and left a voicemail with the person I was transferred to, and never received a call back.

I called back a few days later, and finally got through. I was told that although I was told I’d receive a call, that wasn’t the case, since I “opted” to file my claim self-service (I did not, but rather was told to submit it this way, I was not given another option). She asked me for more information to prove that I actually owned the items that were stolen. I collected and sent them all, including the police report, that same day. I included photo, video, and text message communications that proved the concert tickets were in fact gifted to me.

I waited a week, and after no reply, I called my adjuster to check on status of my claim. I was informed that the tickets would not be covered, since I didn’t have proof of purchase. (They were a gift, so I could not provide it.) She then told me that my briefcase and laptop should be covered, since I provided receipts for them, and video/photo proof that they were indeed mine. She said she would call me with any updates, as they still needed to do some “research”. It’s not clear what they need to research, as I have provided them with everything requested.

It’s been a week since last contact, and I have still not heard back. It’s been 3 weeks since my loss. It is ridiculous that it has taken this long. The point of insurance is to make you whole, after you suffer a loss. Even if and when I receive my settlement, I will not be whole, since they won’t cover what was actually stolen. I just realized that there was another item stolen sitting this incident, but I’m not going to bother with adding it to the claim, it won’t matter if I do, and I don’t want to do anything to hinder this process further.

I would absolutely avoid purchasing any coverage from them, and look to a more well known provider, such as State Farm or Allstate. The only reason I even have them is because I got it through Geico. When I purchased the policy they Geico, I didn’t realize it was someone else that would be providing the policy. It makes me want to cancel Geico as well.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Our apologies for this situation, Louie. We would be glad to have our escalation team look into this so we can get your claim resolved. Please send a private message with your claim number and best contact number. We will review and have a representative contact you directly to get this moving forward.

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I purchased Renter's insurance through GEICO over two years ago (which must've underwritten by Assurant). For the past year, I've been using another insurance. I looked over my bank statement and noticed that Assurant charged me $185 for insurance without my authorization, even though I closed my account with GEICO last year. I tried calling their "Customer Service" line, but it was automatic and there weren't any options to speak with a representative. I've emailed the company to be refunded my money and cancel my account, but I have not received an email. Such a scam - do NOT let them have any of your financial information.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Trisha, so sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting with that team. We will reach out privately to see how we can help.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

My loss occurred on 10/9/2019. Pot was left on the stove while I was at work with all my windows closed. Thank God maintenance crews smelled the smoke and got into my apartment to get the pot off the stove - unfortunately this was around 1pm and we had left the apartment at 8am that morning. Needless to say EVERYTHING in my home from toothbrushes to clothes to my apartment walls smell like smoke. It was so bad I got a bloody nose and vomiting the first night so we had to leave. It's now 10/14/19 and I've still not heard from adjuster.

I called claims and asked if we could rent a motel in the meantime, my kids are asthmatic, and asked if I would be reimbursed and they promptly told me that only the adjuster could determine that. I'm so frustrated and I don't have any more money to rent a hotel room so we have to stay in the apartment regardless of the fumes. I can't believe no one has contacted me yet. Imagine if it was my house that burnt down? Would I still be waiting like this? I got this insurance because I thought it was Geico - never again. I'm hoping the adjuster will at least replace my furniture and personal belongings...when I can finally get someone out here...

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We apologize for this delay and understand your frustration. We would be glad to have our escalation team look at this so that we can get it moving toward a resolution. Please send a private message with your claim number.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

ZERO STARS-Do not use this company for anything. We are stuck in a nightmare without assistance. We lost our apartment and our belongings in a major fire. Immediately after the fire, we called to start a claim. The person on the phone gave us our claim number and said someone will get back to us within 12 hours via phone and email. Two days later, and hours of circling around on their horrible customer service system, I was able to speak to an actual human being. I was put on hold for a long time and then transferred again.

The person on the phone was incredibly rude and informed me that they had cancelled our renters insurance policy LAST YEAR in 2018. My insurance was on auto renewal and I was sent a 2019 policy covering me until the end of 2019. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN??? I have been with this company for a couple of years, and never filed any claims. So I was shocked to hear they cancelled my policy, and that I had been without insurance for almost an entire year without notice!!!!

I was told that they "generated" a cancellation letter without our permission to cancel our insurance, and "mailed" us the letter. We never got any letter, phone call, email or ANY kind of cancellation notice letting us know that they had cancelled our insurance. So now they won't take our calls. This has been an unbelievably traumatizing nightmare. To lose our home and belongings with ZERO assistance, and to have been bullied on the phone by the people who are supposed to be the ones helping us. What's worse, is that I found out that they did the EXACT same thing to another renter in our building who is also homeless and without assistance from the SAME fire. We both have policies showing we are insured, yet both of our policies were suspiciously cancelled via a "mailed" letter we both never received! What are the odds? Truly an unbelievable and traumatic situation. Geico and Assurant, shame on you!

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are sorry to hear about this situation and would be glad to review as it seems highly unusual. Please send a private message with your policy number and best contact number so that we can have our escalation team look into this and contact you directly.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

There was a burglary in my apartments and multiple vehicles were broken into. I had some items missing which I filed a claim for, which is why I bought renters insurance policy. During filling claim, I used a picture of an item to prove value and belonging. During a call with an investigator, whom I must say very rude, she said she found the same picture online. I told her I posted that pic online myself, an Asian forum, I posted to share that I got it as a gift and to ask how to maintain it. She asked what I took the pic with, I said it could be a camera or a phone device. I had hard time remembering it because it was months ago.

Last year, in different country while traveling. Long story short, my claim was denied. I even told her that i'm willing to omit this item because I have no way of proving its value and that I had it. Reasonable, don't you think? But not according to them. I had a call with the claim adjuster and he said that HE would remember what kind of device he took pictures with when he's traveling. And just blamed on me for not remembering it correctly. Sorry for having too many tech devices? Seriously, I've had multiple policies from this company with various apartments.

My work requires regular relocation and most of apt complexes these days require a renters insurance. This was my FIRST time filing a claim. And it was denied. I even asked if I can re-submit with a correction, not to mention they had the date of loss incorrect. They said no. Disappointed. I've also never heard any regards or sincere for the incident from anyone I talked from this company. I guess it's just your money they're after. DO NOT BUY ANY POLICY FROM THIS COMPANY. Shame on Geico for partnering with the worst customer service company EVER.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Hello, Min. We are sorry to hear that this is the service that you received with us. We would be glad to have our escalation team review this claim for you. Please send a private message with your claim number and a good contact number so that our specialist can contact you directly after they review.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Renters Insurance?

Resolution response: Oct. 18, 2019

So my daughter had to file a loss claim after her apartment was burglarized. Her claim was denied and I thought that could not have been right. After a few conversations with Assurant's various departments, the misunderstandings were cleared up and the claim was taken care of. My sister, myself and my brother all have renters and/or homeowners with this company. We have always had great customer service although we have never had to file a claim. I continue to be satisfied with this company and its customer service.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Very surprised and disappointed. I have homeowners ins with Assurant. My sister has homeowners with Assurant. Been customers for years with no claims, no issues. Good customer service when I call with questions. So of course I purchased renters for my daughter and paid all 6 months of lease up front. Her car was burglarized one week. Her apt trashed and lots of stuff stolen.

After submitting police reports we contacted Assurant. They spoke to my daughter first and made her cry accusing her of fraud! The investigator said she would be investigated because most items stolen were gifts and we had no receipts. We took pics of exact items that friends had for that stuff and submitted them..hence the call for fraud. The second investigator told her to submit a pic of her using her AirPods. She did that. Screenshot an Instagram from the day she got them. Investigators said they were not the same as the ones she sent in her pictures with the claim. Not only did this not get covered..we got $0 for ANY of the claim. Even receipts items. I will be filing an appeal although they said we could not dispute it. My policy will not be renewed in January. As I pay the full year up front as well.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are sorry that this has been your experience with us, Jacqualine. We would be glad to have our escalation team review this issue. Please send a private message with your claim number and best contact number so that we can have a representative review and contact you directly.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I have renter insurance with them and yes they covered most of my losses and everything was quick but trying to talk to the adjuster is almost impossible. Left voicemails and never got a callback. After they paid seems they don’t want to call you back.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We apologize for the lapse in communication. If you need further assistance, we would be glad to have a representative contact you directly. If so, just send us a private message with your claim number and best contact number.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I received a $131 recurring charge on my bank account by Assurant in Florida. I have never ever signed up for insurance through them. SOMEHOW THEY GOT MY BANK ACCOUNT INFORMATION & charged me. I have never opened an account with them. FRAUD. WILL BE GOING TO COURT.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We would like to look into this situation as it is highly unusual. Please send a private message with a good contact number for you so that we can have a specialist contact you directly to get this resolved.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I have had renter’s insurance policy through Assurant for several years and I never filed any claims. We are living in apartment in ground floor. We were on vacation and once we came back we see water flooded from kitchen sink and also water dripped from the roof, due to the hot water heater damage in the upstairs. Claim adjuster visited my apartment and took roof water dripping pictures. After one month they just rejected the claim and they said sink water flood they don't cover because apartment management said it may be flooded due to the grease in pipes (cooking oil over the time it turned as grease, But we are in ground floor if anybody pours oil it will impact in ground floor).

Even if they reject water flood from sink they should cover water drip from the roof. Due to the water drip I lost my furniture and electric cooking stuff. I called Assurant Insurance Claim Representative and he said if two incidents happened simultaneously then they don't cover. I sent a email with all the pictures but I never received any reply from them. Even if you claim they will try to reject your claim.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are sorry to hear about this and would be glad to review this issue. Please send a private message with your claim number and best contact number so that we can have a representative review and contact you directly.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I was so pressured to Purchase this policy from Geico and now after 9 months, I tried to cancel, there isn't a way to cancel online or to stop the auto-payments withdrawn. Shame on them all. If it was a requirement from my landlord but it isn't, I would never recommending them at all.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We would be glad to look into this issue for you. Please send a private message with your policy number and best contact number so that we can have a representative review and contact you directly.

Assurant Renters Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Assurant is a specialty insurance company headquartered in Florida. Founded in 1947, Assurant grew to become a Fortune 500 company and now offers specialty insurance including renters’ and apartment insurance.

• Coverage: Assurant Renters Insurance protects your belongings against theft or damage from fire, smoke, flooding or explosions. If something happens to make your apartment or rental home uninhabitable, Assurant provides living expenses.

• Flexibility: If you need to buy a policy for a child attending college, or if you want to purchase one policy with a roommate, Assurant Renters Insurance makes it easy. In fact, you can have up to four people listed on a policy.

• Simple process: It takes less than five minutes to purchase a policy. There are only a few questions to answer, and you can do it all online.

• Affordable premiums: Rental insurance shouldn’t be expensive. Assurant’s plans start at just 44 cents a day.

• Financially-strong company: Assurant is a Fortune 500 company with $30 billion in assets. If you ever need to make a claim on your policy, you can be assured that this company can take care of you.

• Best for: house and apartment renters, especially those with valuable possessions.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky