1.14/5
Based on 65 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

65 Assurant Renters Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We signed up for renters insurance through Geico. Trusting them we got our renters insurance. It's from Assurant. Worst mistake of my life! We had this policy for 4 years, on July 20th 2018 my husband and I lost our home and 95% of our belongings to a fire. Our policy was for $20,000. It took more than a week for them to send an adjuster out. By then everything was covered in mold including the walls. The insurance adjuster referred to it as a total loss. We submitted more than $25,000 worth of inventory paperwork and most receipts for nearly everything since 90% of our items have been purchased in the last 3 years. They settled our claim and closed it and deposited $5,041 into our account.

They now refuse to return any phone calls or give us copies of any of the items that they claim depreciated to the point of not being able to get paid out. Including a 75-inch 4K Smart TV that hasn't even been paid for yet. Not only does their settlement not pay off the things we were still making payments on but it doesn't even come close to replacing what we lost. I have contacted three separate case managers because we had 6 total two managers and their managers without even so much as a callback or an email. If you value your belongings or your home or your money please get your insurance from someone else. If there was a way to give them negative Stars I would but I'm forced to give at least one just so that's can get read by others.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am a senior who obtained an extended appliance warranty on my brand new home. The policy was over $1100. When I had a claim for microwave repair after 4 years, a service person came out and then said the issue was not under warranty. I called to have the issue reviewed, and after weeks no results. I was told to send photos via email and every time I called to follow up, no one knew what was going on. THIS COMPANY IS SCAMMING ELDERLY PEOPLE. Purchase a full home warranty through a reputable company rather than this!!!

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Assurant.com Renters Insurance - Do not deal with this company. Assurant.com Insurance - Do not deal with this company. Probably the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life and won't make the same mistake again. Received renters insurance from what I thought was Geico, did not know they give the renters insurance to Geico. When dealing with the Geico agent he stated that my equipment would be covered regardless. Three months into the policy, I had packages stolen from in front of my door. Response from REP, “I'm sorry we don't cover that.” A few more packages stole, REP, “We don't handle/cover that.” Someone breaks a 5000 dollar film camera - REP: “I'm sorry we don't cover that unless you can prove it was vandalism.” So I sold the equipment for parts for a few hundred dollars. Loss of 4500.00 dollars.

A few months later I figure I would try again, with no luck. Agent/Rep tells me it’s a few months and the police won't fill out a police report and why didn't I do that originally. I explained to him I called months earlier and was told "We don't handle/cover that.” The only reason I got renters insurance was for the coverage of my film equipment. So far a broken camera valued at thousands and multiple packages stolen in front of my door. I was misled by the Geico agent 10 months ago. I was lead to believe that all this would be covered (Just to get my money). None of it was covered. A loss of thousands and will never deal with Assurant Insurance ever again and suggest you do the same.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Assurant Renters Insurance does not cover the furnishing in the house, and do not like to pay claims off. The customer service is horrible, and the cost is high. I had insurance. The mortgagor said he had no record and gave me their insurance, based on the stock exchange.

Original review: June 12, 2018

This is the insurance company the banks placed on my mortgage for my Mobile Home during financing. Seems high for the amount of insurance and the deductibles are too, I just reread the amount of replacement and it is only half of the mortgage. Mmm. Something doesn't seem right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Renters Insurance?

Original review: May 18, 2018

Purchased Assurant Renters Insurance as I trust Geico. MISTAKE! They had no problem insuring my contents for 40K and collecting the payments. My apartment was burgled and that's when the problems begin. Julio, My adjuster, never available and never returned calls. They are asking for receipts on belongings that I have had in excess of 5yrs... They don't ask you to prove the value of your things to get a policy but will make you jump through hoops to prove the value when they go missing.

Every time I was 'missing documentation' he would communicate via USPS though he had my phone number and email (which they used when it was convenient to them) thus drawing out the process. Long story short they took over 12K of stuff from my apartment. Assurant told me my settlement check was ready but not what the figure if the settlement was. They eventually deposited just short of $2600.00 into my account. I have found an attorney who is just chomping at the bit to go to court and have the matter arbitrated.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Do not trust Assurant, I left my apartment two years ago!!! But they are charging me yet... They took money out of my account two times in last two years and when I asked them to refund my money they asked me different kinds of proofs for cancellation. They are going to charge you after you moved and they will also charge all new tenants.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I live in an apartment, have had Assurant Renters Insurance for about a year through my Geico Auto Insurance. The apartment community put out a notice a few days ago stating multiple mandatory changes residents had to make in our policies effective no later than a week from the date of the notice. I am disabled, (relative to the review) one of my diseases happens to be lung-related and causes my voice to no longer be a voice. Meaning, it is extremely difficult to communicate with me, understand what I am saying because my voice is incredibly hoarse most times and goes completely out at times mid word or mid sentence. It is very frustrating, for me and for the person I am attempting to relay information to. Company personnel tend to let me know, in a lot of words and suggestions, how frustrating I am to them.

I first attempted to update the information online, but there was not enough space for the amount of characters. I hesitantly called and thankfully my call was answered by Christie. She was amazing! Not one complaint or even acknowledgment of my crazy, scratchy 'sound'. She not only took care of everything from my end, but had me merge in the property management office with a couple of questions she had. While on the line with the leasing agent, Christie made sure to get all of their contact information so I wouldn't have to be responsible in getting anything to management at all. It would all be done from Assurant directly to management. I was completely shocked to say the least. Christie was the 100% professional, friendly, knew her product, was extremely efficient. I wish she could be cloned for ALL companies...

Original review: March 27, 2018

Can never get in touch with my agent. Every agent I have spoken with has been very rude, like this is their own money they're required to pay. I have never got a direct answer from anyone. I'm always told someone will call me back and "give me an answer". Days go by and nothing is resolved. My house is for sale and I am trying to get some repairs done from my last tenants in the home and getting absolutely nothing accomplished. Run with all you have, pay extra for premiums if you have to just to avoid the unnecessary bull crap you have to deal with this company to get a claim handled properly and professionally. I was actually writing this review as I was placed on hold for the third time, might I add without him telling me he was going to place me on hold. I'm talking to him and then all of a sudden I hear 'hold' music. Very frustrating company to ever deal with. As soon as this claim is resolved I will switch insurance companies.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Do not trust Assurant, they took money out of my account 9 months after moving out of the apartment I was covering, and I have called twice and they tell me that I can't get a refund until after 10 days. This is just one of the many issues I have had with Assurant. Also be wary of the unemployment "benefit" they have, you have to be receiving unemployment assistance from the government to get that.

Original review: March 23, 2018

My husband and I set up renters insurance with Geico in October of 2017. Before I could even make my first payment, my house was burglarized, on my son's seventh birthday nonetheless, so we contacted the claims center, which turned out to be Assurant. Our original claims adjuster was Pierce **. He lied to us from the get go about the terms of our contract, was impossible to get hold of, and never EVER answered the phone or called us back. It was two months before we received any payment whatsoever for our claim, only to discover that they had strongly undervalued all of our missing items.

When I called to complain, I was told that someone else who wasn't even my adjuster (Oscar something-or-other was the name I was given) had "messed around with my file when he had no business doing so" and that's why the amount I received was significantly lower than it should have been. So this company apparently doesn't watch their employees and keep them from touching things they shouldn't be touching. My claims adjuster was supposedly fired for robbing people and pocketing the excess money, and my claim was turned over to the "supervisor" Patricia **. It has now been FIVE MONTHS since we first opened our claim and still have yet to receive the rest of the payment they owe us for stealing from us in the first place.

Two weeks ago I called to see what was going on since I never heard anything from this company regarding the rest of my claim, and naturally I was unable to reach Patricia, but the person I did speak to assured me that my file was "done and ready to go" on her desk and all they were waiting for was for Patricia to send my file over to the man who processes them for the bank. This same person also told me that repeated calls "make Patricia angry" and cause her to "purposely delay the processing of your file". I have not called once since, but I STILL have not received the rest of my payment I am owed. If I cannot call and she refuses to call me back, exactly how long am I supposed to wait for a mistake to be rectified that was their fault in the first place? I am very much on the verge of calling my lawyer. This company is unethical, rude, and should have been closed down a long time ago.

Original review: March 21, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY TO COVER YOU!!! I tried to give no stars but was forced to give one. I am not going into detail about how they screwed us over. It is too painful. My family was robbed a week after Christmas and this BS fraud company paid out $287 for thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. I beg of you to find another company.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Geico was great when our car was totaled due to a flash flood. The claim process was easy and they sent me a check very quickly. HOWEVER - dealing with their renter's insurance claims is utterly disappointing! They use the third party Assurant Insurance Company for renter's insurance and I have had the worst experience with them - VASTLY different than my car insurance claim. Had I known they were so terrible, I would've gone elsewhere for my renter's insurance.

Hey GEICO! - Assurant is giving you guys a bad name! Their claim process sucks. They are hard to reach and noncommunicative at best. Several phone calls and emails go unresponded. We waited over 3 weeks to even have an inspector come and check out our water damaged apartment due to a spontaneous sprinkler pipe burst - which lead to mold growing in our home. They randomly misvalue items and then depreciate them on top of that. After sending them receipts to items they've misvalued - again no response - which leads to more hounding. Dealing with this claim has become a fulltime job. Find another company to insure your home. Gieco/Assurant will surely disappoint you for renter's insurance!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

This company sold me an insurance policy for our microwave but they have never been able to provide us with a service provider to fix the problem with the microwave. They recommended we find someone and they would reimburse but I signed up for the policy because I couldn't find anyone. I have called them multiple times over the last months and they have never returned my calls. In today's world of good customer service they rank very poorly...

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I've never had a issue with Geico, it's the company for renters insurance they recommended. Assurant. From the beginning of my claim to the denial letter this has been the worst company to deal with ever. Please if Geico ever recommends this company to you, please decline it and go with a respectable well known company. Do your homework. Wish I had.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Worst rental insurance company! Don’t use them! Katherine ** is super unprofessional. This company don’t care about their customer. Don’t waste your time! Worst experience I’ve never experienced. Took 4 month for my claim and it’s still open. They never schedule anything just pop up at my property.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I had a renters insurance through Assurant for over two years. Never had a claim. In August I moved to another apartment so I changed the address in my policy. After two months I discovered that Assurant never changed my address for a technical mistake they did, so I was still paying my old apartment policy and not being covered in the new apartment. They "said" they will refund me, they "said" they issued a check a month ago - but surprise surprise I never received any refund and any check. They now say they sent the refund to a MasterCard - but looking at the card number it comes out that's not my credit card! I have no idea how they got that credit card number! I never owned that card. After endless phone calls (for over a month), after hearing the most shameful lies from Assurant and being treated like an idiot, I have now decided to cancel my policy.

But wait, this is not over - because one day after I called to cancel my policy I received an email stating that I have purchase a NEW POLICY! So I have now two policies for the same apartment, the old policy (Which I canceled but apparently they did not canceled) and a new policy (that I never even purchased!). And surprise, they pushed the start day back of two months so now my balance is higher and they are now justified to not pay me any refund for their technical mistake. Assurant is a huge huge fraud. I will never buy a policy with Assurant again and I strongly recommend you to stay away from this company. I now have purchased a much better policy with another company and I am saving ~30% money!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I been with this insurance company over 8 years. Never made a claim. We went thru storm Harvey, my back fence pickets flew away, my AC was under water. My steps flip over and got damage. My roof is only 5 years old. I had leaks coming thru walls, my sheetrock are soft and mold is coming thru my ceilings. I just received a email that my claim was denied. I will contact a lawyer.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I got renters’ insurance through my insurance company, Geico. Reasonable rate, served its purpose, however when I purchased my home and got my homeowner's policy through Geico my renters' insurance was supposed to have been canceled as my homeowner's policy went into effect. Then I reviewed my credit card statement at which point I realized my credit card was still being charged for the renters' policy. I called immediately and was given the runaround. I had Geico forward my homeowner’s policy and its effective date and I also forwarded the same information. They have yet to refund my money and I have just received a new statement from them! No no no! If I could give them zero stars I definitely would have! I'll be sure to keep you posted if I ever see my money again! Horrible experience.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My building flooded Feb 20, 2017. American Insurance Co aka Assurant Specialty Security Ins. has committed fraud at every opportunity to not pay my claim. Stating floor coverings were 56 year old linoleum. Everything in my building was exactly 56 years old. I have no linoleum in my building. This fraud adjuster Steve ** had brought the value of everything to be valued close to zero. They never use the same adjuster twice. His phone number went dead. He's AWOL.

The contractors estimate was $160k the 2nd cheapest. Brian ** says "I'm not going to pay that. Here's $47k. You should be able to fix your building for that." This fraud was committed on 5/4. I complained daily. Who is going to work for these prices? No response. Choose from one of the contractors to work with. I complained to the insurance commissioner. I sent Brian ** my photos of the interior of my building. I sought the help of 3 or 4 attorneys and I hired a public adjuster all harassed into quitting.

The next adjuster left off everything in my flooded building like in bathroom #1 except a tub and a hole in the floor. No sealer coat, no paint, no vanity, no toilet, no risers, no shower doors, no floor, no floor covering, no mirror, no fixtures. My whole adjuster report was missing 85% of the interior of the building. Months passed. Complaints were filed with the insurance commissioner. I wrote letters to everyone. I complained to the insurance commissioner and the federal govt. I could not hire an attorney or my own public adjuster to protect me. Everyone I hired was harassed into quitting. Brian ** my adjuster would leave harassing voice mail messages like "It looks like your trying to remodel your entire apt building".

His first estimate was $47,904.00. I had 4 contractors bids one for $150k, 160k, 180k and one 240k. He did not give me the name of a contractor who would work for 47.9k. He did not accept any of my contractors bids. These last two statements are required by California law and he violated them both. Luckily I had pictures of the interior of my building. He offered me $70k. But didn't follow through. No check. Then he just went stone cold. I would request more walkthroughs and I wouldn't get any replies. Months went by. More complaints to the insurance commissioner and none got a reply. Brian ** offered my contractor a subsequent walkthrough after the insurance commissioner cited a code out of the insurance regulation conduct book. He added $16k to my claim.

Yesterday the 5th of August I decided they were not going to be anymore help so I paid the contractors $60k out of my personal account to do something. I got a contract to go with the 63k Assurant had put in my escrow account. The contractor start date is August 28th. 191 days since the flood and the contractors would begin. Assurant had this contract sitting on their desk since 5/4/2017. They weren't going to pay it. I had 280,000 in replacement cost flood insurance. My deductible is $750.

I want to nominate Rickell ** his boss for best supporting fraudster. Steve ** for best fraud claim adjuster and Mark ** as lead roll as procrastinator in chief. Jorge ** as the diabolical twin of Steve **. Brian ** and the best Fraud claims adjuster. So after I pay $60k Brian ** says he going to send the contractors estimate report to an unrepentant appraiser Mr. **. He rips off the contractors by $31k.

Do they come up with a contractor who will work for these prices. Never. It's just, "Here's what we want you to accept." Are the contractors going to do a good job working at a discount? No because they know my neighbors were paid $180k for their buildings damage. My neighbors buildings have been done for months. Mine still looks like the flood happened yesterday. Totally negligent. Totally evil. I've lost $35k in rental income due to their fraud and procrastination. They are an evil I will complain about for the rest of my life. The only thing they didn't do to me was kill me.

Don't ever let this company anywhere near you. They will destroy you in a heartbeat. They have no compassion or concern with you or your plight. They will violate every civil right you have. They will harass and intimidate and ignore you and use every dirty trick in the book to not pay. Its been 191 days and they're still pulling dirty tricks like fake appraisals. They will brow best you and try to trick you put of your claim by invoking the appraisal clause when items that need repair would be left out. I said no appraisal at this time. It takes two willing parties to choose arbitration. If it gets any better I will update these comments. But don't use this company ever.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I had a rental policy with Assurant Insurance Company for almost 5 years. It started back in 2013. I told an Assurant rep that I was moving out of my current residence and all items that were covered under my rental agreement, in my home, was going into storage. I asked this rep if they cover all your items once they go into storage, I was told absolutely. They continued to send me the renewal agreement each year stating full coverage. I found out back in 2015 they were not covering anything that was in my storage for three years. They have given me the runaround on reimbursement for over a year; each time I am told different things by the reps. of this company. They have taken advantage of me who happens to be a senior citizen. I am going to court with this company. I have already reported their business practices to the Better Business Bureau!

Original review: June 29, 2017

I have been a paying customer for almost two years and recently had to file my first claim. It was a small claim but required an inordinate amount of steps in order to receive any type of payment even though the loss was fully covered under my policy. I will be looking elsewhere for coverage and recommend that any potential or existing customers do the same.

Original review: May 11, 2017

My apartment was burglarized. It happened less than an hour after I left home. 2 HDTV, cameras, jewelry, Apple laptop, Apple iPad, Apple desktop, my grandson's game system and games, movies, foam sneakers, 2 drones, high end designer bags, Louis Vuittons, Michael Kors, Brahmin. A few more ideas. But anyway I got a police report and pictures together and mailed them to the adjuster. I had about $23,000.00 loss but only received a check for $8,000.00. She told me that I have 6 months to purchase the item that was stolen and they will pay me the rest when I send in receipts proving that I replaced the item stolen. I purchased 2 television and uploaded the receipt and sent it. Two weeks had passed still no check.

When I had called the new adjuster. He had told me that the store that I purchased the TV from said that I had returned them. I was wondering why he had asked me do I still have the TV in my possession and I told him yes. He said that he can't pay me anything until he talk to the store where I had purchased them from. I produced my receipts and now he's saying something else. What can I do?

Original review: March 10, 2017

If you have this company, be prepared to get the Department of Insurance involved. I work for an insurance company so I know some of the ins and outs of how the process should work. Of course there are exceptions from company to company, but the policies are underwritten by the company but have to fall in line with the rules and regulations set forth by the department of Insurance.

Let's start with the basics. The policy states no timeframe with which they have to handle a claim but also does not state a minimum processing time either. It does state that they have to handle your claim quickly and efficiently and with fair consideration. I will start by saying I submitted my claim on a Friday. I waited until Monday and called them to do a follow up. They started by saying that this claim was going to take 30 days to process. I stated this was unacceptable and asked how I could make it faster and they stated to send them all the required documents. I sent them everything they asked for minus receipts for all of my items as I did not have them anymore. I called back the next day to make sure they received my documents and they informed me it takes 48 hours to get the documents and upload them and then the adjuster calls the next day. So 3 days there.

I spoke with a manager and they got the documents uploaded faster and moved my claim along that day. Then they told me most of my items were going to be denied because I did not have receipts. I advised them at that time if they did that it's not only illegal but in direct violation of the rules and regulations set forth by the department of insurance. If I am listing high end items that don't match up with the income level or policy coverages, then they can ask for proof of ownership like receipts and deny items they feel reasonably are not accurate. However, they cannot simply deny items because they don't have receipts. After advising of this, their whole tune changed and they approved all of my items. They ended up processing my claim within 5 days, but I had to threaten to get the Department Of Insurance involved in their illegal activities.

Then a week later, I informed them that I had found more items missing and needed to supplement these items. They immediately told me my claim was now going to go under review and be sent to the fraud department. I canceled my supplement until I could speak with corporate about this. They treated me the same way. I feel like a criminal and was treated like a criminal for using the insurance I paid for. I have never had a claim in 12 years and have always paid my renter's insurance anywhere I was living. It's ridiculous that I get treated like a criminal, have my items denied, have to threaten to bring the department of insurance into the claim and then deal with a company that demands payment of insurance each month on time, but then takes their sweet time in processing your claim.

My tools were stolen and I needed them for a few projects I was working on. My truck was sitting not running and my boat is a major project and they were expecting me to be without my truck for 30 days... If you have this company for insurance, leave. If you don't have them and are considering them, run away as fast as you can. They go through Geico for Renters and homeowners. So if you quote through Geico for renter's, this is the company they use. I also sent my claim to the Department of Insurance for review and they are currently reviewing it. I also sent this complaint to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I got renters' insurance and had a robbery of my property. It has been 2 months and I still have not received settlement for my claim. I have been calling almost every single day for the past 1 1/2 months and am always sent straight to voicemail or told that the adjuster Robyn ** is busy. And sometimes when she does find the time to respond it is via email (even though I always specify to CALL me back!!). And the few times I have talked to her on the phone she has been rude and condescending. She has now turned over my claim to a George **, who I'm now having the same issues with.

The people at Assurant are unprofessional, untimely, and just plain rude. I feel as though I am paying for insurance for nothing! I got a lot of valuable property stolen and they are making me jump through hoops in order to be compensated. Filed on January 2, 2017 and as of today February 27, 2017 I still have not been compensated in any way yet I've still been paying for coverage.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I feel uninsured. Horrible service. Did not want to replace my heavily soot damaged furniture. With a 20,000 dollar policy they offered me 3,000 to replace everything I owned that was damaged by a fire. I would never recommend this company to anyone. Customer service reps are rude. Canceling this coverage as soon as I am done with my claim, may even get a lawyer.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

Had 2 Work Station MacBook Pros stolen from Apt as I was getting ready to ship. Ran up to the post office to grab the materials, nice summer day, windows all open and door unlocked. Small town in IL. Came back, not even 15 mins later. The boxes, the computers all gone from my bed where I had placed them. Neighbor thought they saw someone go in, but thought it was me. Cops weren't able to help, happened in broad daylight. Passed over the information about the computers, 15 inch retina display maxed specs for rendering stations, still technically new in box. They were back ups, if my primary failed. Never been turned on for more than 2 hours. Gave receipts and costs ranges and old repair costs receipts from Apple with Serial numbers and everything. Apple locked the systems so the person who stole them, got nice paperweights.

Assurant tried to claim that since they were older, they depreciated over 90%. They offered me ~$470 for BOTH as the stolen payoff. I explained to her that Apple computer systems are not PC's, they don't depreciated/ While I spent $3,500 A PIECE brand new, even refurbished during that time, I could get the same systems for 2,800. The Rep tried to bully me into saying yes and agreeing to the payment. I even said that I needed to talk to my wife about what she was offering and to technically see what I had in savings to see if I could replace them out of pocket, since the insurance I have been paying for (6 years with no claims) was refusing to pay. The REP would NOT let me hang up the phone and literally kept saying that they will deny it if I was to hang up and not agree to the terms. I refused.

Called my lawyer, then contacted the Insurance Bureau for the state. After giving them all the serial numbers and information with Apple invoices of the same products as "refurbished" and getting a professional contact input about "computer depreciation" I got the money to replace the systems. Don't fall for Bully tactics. If they say you have to do something, you laugh and say, no. Be sure to file any complaints to the State Insurance Controller Body. Assurant or (insurance company of Florida) has well over 13,000 complaints in the State of IL alone.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

Assurant is a horrible company that I can't stress enough to not do business with. I've been/was a client for over 5 years with the company owning a renters insurance policy until recently. An error in my annual billing occurred and the company was unable to process my annual renewal, so what did they do, supposedly send a letter. No human touch, like a call letting you know you're going to lapse in coverage but a computer that sends out a letter. My wife and I's apartment was recently burglarized and I went to file a claim. What I found out instead was because the policy had lapsed I was SOL. Yes my fault as well big time, but just something, a heads up saying that you need to clarify your payment would have been nice, not a robot computer letter. These people are crooks and I'm surprised GEICO does business with such horrible people.

Original review: July 28, 2016

Assurant Insurance is a rip-off! Suggest you use another agency. When it comes to paying out claims, the company uses excuses and alternative language to seek out not paying. I had water damage in the downstairs drywall that came from a toilet leak. The repair person for the toilet wrote that the toilet was incorrectly pitched and invoiced me $2500 if I wanted to correct the pitch. This was total BS, but it is how Chicago repairman make money. I paid for the repair of the blockage and sent him on his way. When I submitted this claim, Assurant said the leak came from the toilet not being installed correctly and reneged on paying. What a load of...

Original review: June 11, 2016

The fact that we suffered a loss due to burglary was horrible. But the experience of working with the claims department of Assurant was worse. Their adjusters' hours is 8-5. So if you work during the day impossible to handle anything. They denied paying for damage of the door. It's been 2 months since break in & still trying to replace items. I don't recommend anyone to get a policy from them. They are a subsidiary of Geico.

Assurant Renters Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Assurant is a specialty insurance company headquartered in Florida. Founded in 1947, Assurant grew to become a Fortune 500 company and now offers specialty insurance including renters’ and apartment insurance.

• Coverage: Assurant Renters Insurance protects your belongings against theft or damage from fire, smoke, flooding or explosions. If something happens to make your apartment or rental home uninhabitable, Assurant provides living expenses.

• Flexibility: If you need to buy a policy for a child attending college, or if you want to purchase one policy with a roommate, Assurant Renters Insurance makes it easy. In fact, you can have up to four people listed on a policy.

• Simple process: It takes less than five minutes to purchase a policy. There are only a few questions to answer, and you can do it all online.

• Affordable premiums: Rental insurance shouldn’t be expensive. Assurant’s plans start at just 44 cents a day.

• Financially-strong company: Assurant is a Fortune 500 company with $30 billion in assets. If you ever need to make a claim on your policy, you can be assured that this company can take care of you.

• Best for: house and apartment renters, especially those with valuable possessions.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Assurant Renters Insurance Company Information

www.assurantrenters.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business