4.4/5 (226 ratings)

About Assurant Renters Insurance

Assurant offers comprehensive renters insurance that covers dry rot, fungi and mold, with specialized add-ons like pet and earthquake protection. The company lets you choose your policy deductible and supplemental coverage based on your specific insurance needs, and its coverage is available nationwide.

Top Assurant Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Renters Insurance?

Verified

When we were hit by hurricane Florence, Assurant worked quick and fast to help us replace our damaged items. We had damages to a lot of our outdoor items and to some of our indoor...

Verified

Site is very easy to navigate! Straightforward and to the point! I’ve used Assurant in the past and did not have to file any claims. Insurance pricing and coverage are both great....

What is Assurant?

Assurant is a nationwide insurance provider that offers full-coverage and liability-only renters insurance. The company offers supplemental options including pet coverage, which pays for damages caused by your pets, and earthquake protection. With Assurant, you can choose your deductible and customize your policy coverage.

What does Assurant cover?

Assurant offers two policies. Its liability-only coverage is available only to its partner locations. It doesn’t cover your belongings, but it does offer protection in the case of damage by fire, water, smoke or explosion. Its full-coverage standard renter’s insurance package includes both personal property and personal liability coverage. Assurant also offers these optional coverages:

• Pet damage
  • Water sewer backup
  • Earthquake
  • Identity theft expense
  • Rent protection

How much is Assurant renters insurance?

Assurant’s renters insurance costs vary depending on the level of coverage you want. If you prefer not to pay monthly, the company lets you make a one-time, full-year payment, which can save you money on recurring charges. Also, if you use GEICO for auto insurance, you can bundle it with Assurant’s protection for a lower price. Assurant doesn’t post its rates online, but you can get a quote for your desired coverage on its website.

We used the company’s policy calculator to get an estimate for an apartment in the 74137 zip code — for a package with a $250 deductible that includes $100,000 in liability coverage and $10,000 in property coverage, the cost would be $15.02 monthly or $191 annually.

Assurant FAQ

Is Assurant owned by GEICO?
No, but GEICO can bundle Assurant’s renters insurance to provide deals for their customers.
What’s covered under Assurant’s renters insurance?
Assurant’s standard renters insurance policies cover damages from theft, fire, ice, vandalism and more. The company also provides some add-on coverage, including pet, earthquake, water sewer, rent (for if you become unexpectedly unemployed and can’t make rent) and ID theft protection.
Does Assurant cover water damage?
Yes, its renters insurance covers water damage, mold, fungi and rot.
Does Assurant cover bed bugs?
Its policies cover bed bugs in select states.

Is Assurant’s renters insurance good?

Assurant’s renters insurance might be a good option if you want supplemental coverage — many insurance providers don’t offer add-on options like pet and earthquake protection. Overall, its prices seem reasonable for its policies, and you can get discounts by bundling your coverage with other providers like GEICO.

Assurant Renters Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Renters Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

So far so good but there's always room for improvement. It's tough being displaced from your home and then having to fill out lots of paperwork. The agent I spoke with before receiving the link to this claim form was kind but she wasn't very reassuring. At the end of the call I wasn't comforted knowing that I would be made whole. Hopefully that won't be an issue but I was left feeling like I may have to come out of pocket for something that was in no way my fault.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We can understand your concerns regarding your claim. We are happy to hear that it has been good so far, but if you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I had a fire start at a neighbor's home that spread to where I lived, it caused significant damage. (To the point it is uninhabitable for the next 6-8 months). I filed a claim and Brandon P, who was assigned to my claim was patient and very knowledgeable. I had never had to use my renters insurance before, but he explained the process and I had so many questions that he patiently answered. He always responds to my inquiries promptly, and even if I’m a little excited or nervous he is very professional and kind. Assurant also has an awesome chat system setup via text to share documents and information, the payout system is smooth, and overall I was very grateful to Brandon and Assurant for their support, guidance, and assistance.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We're glad we could provide a great experience! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

I hate having to file claims for loss but Assurant has been helpful and quick to act in the two times I've needed to file with them. The first claim was with a person and that was great. This time around, I chose the self-serve option which basically entails me needing to upload all of the documents myself. It was still pretty easy. Now just waiting to hear back to get an outcome on the claim.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Original review: July 25, 2022

Everything seems so good so far, it was referred to us by our apartment agency and our property is extravagant and the payment plans are good. It's nice to go 5 months and not have to pay a bill during the summer. I just hope they pay damages as they claim they would if it is ever needed. I love the easy online payments. So I can only speak to one side of the experience and not the full experience. Client for a few years now. The last rate increase was a bit much. Insurance executives need to learn to take a pay cut from the top and pass it on to the renters who made them rich.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

Original review: May 14, 2022

Okay. I am a single, "over the road" trucker and I am rarely able to be at home. I was not aware that my rental insurance had lapsed (it slipped through the cracks in my bill-paying) and I was very concerned that I was going to have a problem getting it reinstated. When I called the Assurant Renters Insurance number, the people were very helpful and the reinstatement was easily and almost effortlessly accomplished. I was pleasantly surprised and I give Assurant a 100%, "A+" grade. Everything is back in order now and all is well. I can be out here rolling and delivering stuff all over America without being concerned about my coverage! Excellent!

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Thank you, Lindsey! We are glad an agent was able to help with your issue.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2023

Easy to use and great experience with better benefits. Lot of options and provides the recommended ones which is easy to select as well. Lots of options for payment like monthly, annual, etc. With discounts as well. Easy to chose address as well and multiple payment options as well.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

It is great to hear this! Thanks for the feedback!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

Easy to navigate the claims form. Very user friendly, no time limits so it gives you plenty of time to organize your files. I have had Ins with this comp for over three yrs and thankfully never had to use it until now. And let me assure you that when you're stressed from being robbed, being rushed filing the necessary paperwork is the last thing anyone needs.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Happy to hear you had an amazing claim process. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I believe that since I'm with your renter insurance company, I receive in advance the notifications regarding my renter's insurance policy. Also, the website to get access to my account is easy and has all information I need to understand the renter's insurance policy, as for example: the declaration page, the way to update new information, and upload the declaration page.

Best,

D.R.A

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are happy to hear you had a good experience. Thank you for the review!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

Policy was easily renewed by phone. The automatic renewal process didn’t work for us, but was easy to resolve. Agent was very helpful and friendly with the situation. Have had this policy for several years and have never had issues.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Glad to hear you are satisfied with the process. Thank you for the review!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

Continuing my service is just so easy I was surprised. I also like the monthly service charges that are all included in an email at my renewal. Great service by a great company. I seriously thank you for the coverage so I can rest at ease. Thanks again.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

We are happy to hear the process was fast and easy!

Assurant Renters Insurance Company Information