2.11/5

94 Assurant Renters Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 15, 2019

I filed a claim 9 weeks ago due to theft at my residence. I was interviewed and treated like a criminal. They have yet to pay any of my claim. They don’t answer phone, asked to speak to manager 2 weeks ago and they have yet to return a call. Suspect coverages and have to have a receipt for everything I have had my entire life or they say they don’t cover item. For pictures of your items they only cover half the value to replace. No customer service at all. Should not have to seek legal counsel in order for policy to cover what they covered me for and I paid for.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Joshua, so sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience. We received your information via Yelp and are currently reviewing.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2019

I had my renters policy with them connect from Geico. After year I was with them my apartment had bad water damage. From other unit water came to my apartment and make damage in my kid's room furniture and some furniture on living room. I made claim. After 1 day claim examiner call me and when he talk to me I was feel he is not gonna make any payment for my lost and he gonna make excuses. After I send damage pictures from my furniture he told me he didn’t see any damage. As I told him, "You can send inspection to my house and check everything" he told me he will call me by video conferencing and he want to see damage live.

I did that and take me day off my work and spend 2 hrs by video contact showing him everything. After day I received email my claim has been closed and they not making any payment. I lost 13k damage furniture and start to purchase again by financing. I canceled my policy and signed with other insurance company. If you purchase policy with Assurant look like you not been covered better don’t waste your money to make them bigger to cheat people.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Hello Seyed, we are sorry to hear you had this experience with us and understand your frustration. If you'd like us to review this issue, please send a private message with your full name, policy/claim number and best contact number so that we can have a team look into this.

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 3, 2019

9 months without repair and use of a main bathroom. The amt given barely covered a small percentage of repair and now I’m left to fight. There are no numbers or people to talk to - only the one person who is “away from his desk or on a phone call” My restoration co us SO frustrated but no money no work! If anyone can tell me a customer service number or better yet a VP number/ name I would appreciate it. Can’t find this company ASSURANT HOME OWNERS!?!

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Judy, it definitely sounds like a frustrating experience. We have reached out to you via private message so we may gather the information necessary to investigate.

Resolution response: April 3, 2019

I was contacted by Assurant and they took my concern seriously and worked to explain the issue and resolve the matter. I therefore am adjusting my review to reflect this outreach of customer support and service by them. I would recommend this company to others at this time. But with caveat, read your policy, ask questions, and be sure to understand terms and get any and all answers in writing to insure that future misunderstandings are avoided.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Purchased through GEICO Insurance. Was assured that Assurant Renters Insurance is highly rated. This was a lie. Assurant requires unprecedented terms and conditions in order to even warrant an appraiser calling you back. Not to mention that the claims process took and absurd amount of time to just get filed. After filing, you are sent an email that tells you that you must first, prior to anything else, obtain a "technical certification" that items damaged are damaged and can or cannot be repaired at your own expense. Items lost due to destruction cannot be "certified" since they are "LOST" and thus cannot be claimed. All items must be "individually" certified as damaged or irreparable by "approved" technicians. To do this would require prohibitively expensive out of pocket and upfront costs. And are not subject to reimbursement from Assurant. Requirements to prove claim are absurdly unobtainable and utterly impractical.

It would cost more to have just ONE part certified as damaged than I paid for the policy for a year. Assurant does not pay for shipping and handling cost that you would have to pay in order to send any and all items out to be inspected and certified. This insurance is such a scam that it should be illegal. NONE OF THE REQUIREMENTS WERE LISTED IN THE POLICY. They just appear when you file a claim.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Raymond, we are sorry that you have not had a great experience with us. We would like to review. Please send us a private message with your full name, claim number and best contact number so that we can review.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Please, do yourself a favor, don't choose Assurant, it's the worst insurance you can use, they are bunch of liars and cheats. When I moved to a different place the people that I hired to moved me, they stole my cameras and other things, I sent the policed report to them, after a few days they called me saying that the report says that the cameras were lost, and not stolen. That's why I say they are cheaters, all the money I pay over the years to get these service.

Assurant Renters Insurance response

Hello Emir, we are sorry to hear about your loss. If you have any questions about what is covered by your policy, please reach out via private message.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Renters Insurance?

Original review: March 13, 2019

The apartment complex recommended Assurant renter's insurance, and stupidly I called Assurant and enrolled over the phone, never seeing the actual printed application. Along with the usual chitchat the enrolling agent supposedly asked if I had any previous claims, and if she did, I did not remember that I had had a claim in college three years previous, so when I filed a claim with Assurant in Feb 2019, when 2 large dryer loads of laundry was stolen, I was denied for "misrepresentation" on the application. It turns out that the previous claim was a few days short of being 3 years old, which I guess is a magic time frame, when I made out the application over the phone, altho several months after the "3 years" when I filed the claim. Guess Assurant has not heard of the words "fiduciary responsibilty!" At this point I do not know if I can get other insurance as Assurant has now besmirched my name in the Insurance world. BEWARE of ASSURANT!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Our car got broken in to and a lot was taken out, since we were loading the car for our trip. Assurant is very easy to deal with. Alissa was amazing. Submitted proof of purchases and spoke to her over the phone. We were able to get money back for our stolen things. They also reimbursed us for our citizenship certificate after we paid for a new one and send in the receipt. The whole process from filing to it being approved took about 2 Days.

I was scared after reading all these bad reviews on here, that I had to go through a lot of trouble to get anything back. I never had a claim in my Life before. I can only say that Assurant, especially Alissa is the best person I could have asked for. I can’t understand all these bad comments. Assurant is definitely a great Choice, what Geico offers. Easy process and very helpful. Even though I hope I never have to file a claim again, I loved the easy process of it. Just keep all documents with major purchases and be honest with them. Thanks again Assurant!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I changed my billing info on my account before they billed me. They used my old account to bill me anyway. I called to change it. They would not refund to my original account which left me without money to put food on my table.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I purchased a renters insurance policy through my GEICO account. I've had the policy through Geico for years. My bank sent me a new debit card which I promptly updated on my GEICO account. Keep in mind, I pay ALL my insurance policies through that GEICO account and they were ALL setup on automatic payment. Well apparently the partnership with GEICO does not include updating the payment information!!! So my renters policy was cancelled and lapsed due to non-payment since when Assurant went to process the payment their system did not update with the information from GEICO. Again, I purchased the policy through GEICO and setup automatic billing at GEICO also. But GEICO says because Assurant did not update their system with the new payment card they tried processing under the old card which was declined. So my policy cancelled with NO notification.

I only found out via post office mail on a Saturday that I had no insurance. You can't contact Assurant to correct because THEY ARE CLOSED ON WEEKENDS!!! Even calls to GEICO were no help since GEICO could also not reach anyone at Assurant. So my complex management company charged me $40 for a new policy they purchased for me. I did get the policy reinstated by calling them on Monday to give them the new information. This will allow me to search for a replacement policy from another company. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH ASSURANT!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Unprofessional Agents and TERRIBLE Coverage. I've never dealt with such poor customer service, hung up on me and would not return my calls. Tried cheating me out of my coverage and kept telling me to read my policy. It's all in black and white. Try looking for better quality companies who will be more helpful when you're in need of help.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

After moving out of my apartment, I cancelled my renter insurance since I no longer needed it. They auto-renewed so I needed a refund. Since my policy was in my married name, I submitted my divorce decree in order to get the refund. Instead of clarifying the card that they would refund to, they refunded it to my ex-husband and a card I no longer have access to. It takes the company 5 days (in 2019) to respond to an e-mail. I let them know I didn't have access to that card and they wanted me to call the bank.

This could have been very easily resolved if they would have not taken so long to respond. Now that the funds have cleared there is "NOTHING THEY CAN DO." I spoke with 2 different managers which I am not 100% sure were managers. They were very scripted and had no ability to figure out a solution. This company has a bunch of robots who just follow scripts and don't know how to come to any resolution. On top of not being able to have them refund the overpayment to me (even though it is my name on the policy), they just sent me an e-mail for auto-renew.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My agent did not cover my loss He did not accept my proof of loss [PDFs of receipts, replacement costs, and pictures]. He didn't reimburse me for a Hotel bill, loss of personal property, loss of use, and other entitlements. HE sent me less than half of my claim and then Closed it. On the liability side of this claim, I spoke with the property manager and they told me they are having a difficult time with the Liability claim as well. I sent in the pictures, receipts and replacement costs for both the personal property loss and the liability side of the claim. At least the liability side is still open. And there is still hope for full payment. I will not recommend this company and will encourage anyone thinking about using them or who are currently using them to cancel their policy and find a better insurer.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The website would not accept my documents, the adjuster kept advising me on different ways to submit my paperwork, all the different methods were not working. I asked if I could just mail my forms but he said not to. Finally after months they "received" my paperwork via their website that was constantly having technical difficulties. They changed my claim process status to closed during this month, until I called and threatened to write a letter to the government oversight committee. Now it shows open, but shows that they are still waiting for documents, even though I just spoke with my adjuster about the final process wrapping up this week.

On the last call he kept asking me about a specific item that is on a receipt I gave them. The receipt shows a few items purchased from Amazon, one of which was an item that was stolen and part of the claim. The adjuster kept trying to get me to claim one of the other items on the receipt as part of the claim but I kept repeating myself that only the flashlight on the receipt was part of the claim, and that I would need to sit at my computer and look at my paperwork to answer him more clearly.

Then I see an email from Amazon indicating that someone who pretended to be me, called and gave my information to access my account to look to see if any items were returned. So basically my adjuster fraudulently access my personal Amazon account, and then tried to bait me into committing insurance fraud. You tell me if this company is not disgusting. I am beginning contact with a lawyer now as they have gone too far, the experience with the insurance company is far worse than waking up and finding my van broken into and robbed.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I used Assurant Renters for my apartment for a one year lease and I made a one-time payment out of my checking account. A couple days ago I was charged for a second year, which I did not agree to, and the company didn’t give me a full refund!!! Do NOT use them! They are a terrible company! I didn’t even agree for them to take the money out for a second year or did I agree to automatic renewal and then they don’t return the full amount??? I will NEVER use them again!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

When I joined T-Mobile, I made sure to get "the best" insurance. Today my phone was stolen from me at a cafe and for a moment, actually felt re-assured that I had insurance to fall back on. Unfortunately, my experience with Assurant has been an utter nightmare and the complete opposite of what I would call best in service.

At the store, I was advised to call in and start the claim process. The Assurant agent on the phone told me that I was ineligible to pay the deductible to get a new phone in store because the phone was not 50% paid off (I was not aware of that policy from the start). After reviewing with the T-Mobile agent, my phone WAS more than 50% paid off. After discussing with the agent in store for more than an hour, Assurant realized their error. Sadly, I had to call multiple times asking if they would honor my in-store jump, to get a rep that would help.

The store advised me this was their standard procedure and they did it all the time, so in order to get any help, I spent 3 hours calling the Assurant number, requesting the “jump” and being told they couldn’t help me over and over. I’m not exaggerating, I did this at least 15 times. The poor T-Mobile people had no idea what else to do and were completely blocked from helping me. Every time we got different answers and absolutely no help that was productive in any capacity from the Assurant team. The T-Mobile team assured me they process these jumps in store every day and that I was being treated out of process for absolutely no reason.

I don’t write reviews but I feel compelled to write this because I would love to save anyone the trouble of dealing with this insurance company, who has been absolutely a mess to work with and did absolutely nothing to rectify the issue. I have spent hundreds of dollars paying for the “premium” insurance, with the “jump” protection so that if something happens to my phone I can get a new one immediately. Here I am 4 hours into calling and reporting the same issue over and over again, still without a phone, and being advised I need to wait for them to ship me one in 8 business days. I’m traveling at the moment and without a phone, I’m unable to get around. Not to mention I won’t even physically be here in 8 business days. What a joke. For someone who travels, I would absolutely not recommend this service.

Now 4 hours later, I’m being asked to put in ANOTHER claim, receiving a loaner phone, and not being shipped my actual phone for 8 business days. This requires another trip to this store, putting down a down payment on the phone, and having to come back to exchange it. So much for quality insurance. Instead of being a relief to an already upsetting situation, this company has done nothing but add to the headache.

I used Google Trends to identify the top & rising search keywords related to cell phone insurance to weave into this negative review for Assurant Mobile Insurance in hopes that this review gets a high SEO ranking. The customer service I received is completely deplorable and I would never recommend insurance through Assurant. This cell phone insurance (Assurant) is not worth it. Assurant is the worst cell phone insurance provider, definitely go with something else if you are looking for the best cell phone insurance for T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, or another cell phone insurance plan.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I purchased a plan and paid in full for the year. I had one claim where I was robbed in my home and it took almost 4 months to get claim paid. On top of the fact that they are never open, no one ever knows Anything. They close your claim for any reason they can and they will never call you back or return an email. Immediately following they cancelled my plan even though I had paid in full and still had time left on my plan. Do not buy anything from these people. They are criminal and Geico shame on you for partnering with such a terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

My apartment was burglarized and the representatives have done nothing to make this traumatic experience any better. I call them multiple times a week and very rarely get through to anyone. They will close your case in a heartbeat. My adjuster has even hung up on me. It has now been 2.5 months and I'm still waiting for information on my claim let alone a check. I guess this is what I get for paying my premium in full. Go with another company if you can!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Assurant insurance through Geico is the absolute worst insurance company I've ever dealt with. Terrible customer service... will give you the run around if you ever need them. Had to deal with everything that comes with a flood/hurricane, and they made it 100x worse. Boo! :(

Resolution response: Oct. 27, 2018

The refunded the money in a reasonably brief amount of time.. Updating to 3 stars.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Very simple. I canceled this Renter's Insurance on October 13th, 2018. I got as far as I could in deleting my payment info from the website. On October 15th, the annual amount was deducted from my bank account. And I have not been able to reach anyone since then. Avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been with this company for about two years. I have paid my premiums every month as I am supposed to. I have never made a claim on this policy and recently had a bunch of my property stolen. I submitted a claim and have gotten nothing but the run around the entire time. The adjusters and representatives are rude and they will not help me. It kind of makes you wonder what exactly you're paying for with this company. This shouldn't be this difficult. I highly recommend if you are looking for homeowners or renter’s insurance that you go to a different company. This place and their representatives will not help you. I have been trying to get a claim completed for 2 weeks and still going. I have received the worst customer service that I have received in quite some time.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This company is more than twice what we pay for better coverage now. They will continue to take money from your account even after you cancel your policy. I would never recommend this company for anything.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

When we were hit by hurricane Florence, Assurant worked quick and fast to help us replace our damaged items. We had damages to a lot of our outdoor items and to some of our indoor rugs and they had our claim closed and paid within 2 weeks of filing it. So very thankful for them. The process was super easy too.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

While moving out of state from NJ to FL. I left some boxes behind for me to move myself with a trailer. While I was away, my home was burglarized. Their investigator said she found it hard to believe I left clothing etc. behind. I told her with out of state moves, they pick up your items, transfer to a holding facility, then onto a tractor trailer with other orders going to that destination and I was afraid they would be stolen and were of importance so I rented a trailer and provided my receipt for the trailer rental. Now, four months later, their investigator is stating how do I know you left those things behind? WTF!!! I called the police and have a report and police photographs. They do not pay their claims! I am hiring an attorney. I paid four years of renters insurance and they will not pay?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Very disappointed that I was recently declined for renters insurance coverage due to having 2 no-fault claims within the past 2 years with this company. Agent Kyle ** was particularly rude on the phone with me when I started to inquire as to why this was the case and what the implications would be for future coverage. Was not helpful when trying to figure out solutions for coverage either and treated me like it was my fault and that I was a bad person for getting denied coverage. Never have I been denied coverage or treated by a company in this way and would not recommend doing business with this company at all.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My wife and I are renting a house in Wilmington NC and hurricane Florence was heading our way. All the news stations and officials were saying to evacuate the area due to the predicted severity and life threatening conditions. We were lucky enough to find a place in Georgia that would allow pets so we packed some belongings and our 3 dogs and headed out of town. My wife contacted Assurant to open a claim and she was told that since the part of Wilmington that we are living in wasn't under mandatory evacuation that our expenses for leaving would not be covered. I guess the fact that everyone saying to get out and NC being declared a state of emergency still constitutes a voluntary evacuation. DO NOT USE!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I paid $129 as renter's insurance in 2016 for a ** apartment and I already moved out from that apartment early 2017. I never set up any automatic payment with Assurant Inc. But in Sept 2017 and Sept 2018, I received emails saying that my automatic payments are scheduled and got charged $129 every year after I already ended my lease and moved out of the apartment. Assurant is a thief stealing money from your bank account. Never leave your bank account information to them!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Canceled my insurance per their website and they will not stop taking money out of my account. Not able to get assistance nor refund for the money and extra fees from not expecting the unauthorized withdraw.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Lost all items in a fire. They evaded my calls, lied to me and their adjuster showed up when I wasn’t home to take pictures. He only took pictures of my mattress. Took them 2 months to send anything after threatening them with a lawyer. Please do not use. They are an absolute nightmare.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Horrible service, still no check. Been a month and nothing. I highly recommend you go somewhere else. These people are crooks. The storm ruined everything and I'm left with a yard full of all of my treasures now garbage. I have to throw everything away. They won't help me at all. I'm still waiting. They couldn't possibly take any longer.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We signed up for renters insurance through Geico. Trusting them we got our renters insurance. It's from Assurant. Worst mistake of my life! We had this policy for 4 years, on July 20th 2018 my husband and I lost our home and 95% of our belongings to a fire. Our policy was for $20,000. It took more than a week for them to send an adjuster out. By then everything was covered in mold including the walls. The insurance adjuster referred to it as a total loss. We submitted more than $25,000 worth of inventory paperwork and most receipts for nearly everything since 90% of our items have been purchased in the last 3 years. They settled our claim and closed it and deposited $5,041 into our account.

They now refuse to return any phone calls or give us copies of any of the items that they claim depreciated to the point of not being able to get paid out. Including a 75-inch 4K Smart TV that hasn't even been paid for yet. Not only does their settlement not pay off the things we were still making payments on but it doesn't even come close to replacing what we lost. I have contacted three separate case managers because we had 6 total two managers and their managers without even so much as a callback or an email. If you value your belongings or your home or your money please get your insurance from someone else. If there was a way to give them negative Stars I would but I'm forced to give at least one just so that's can get read by others.

Assurant Renters Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Assurant is a specialty insurance company headquartered in Florida. Founded in 1947, Assurant grew to become a Fortune 500 company and now offers specialty insurance including renters’ and apartment insurance.

• Coverage: Assurant Renters Insurance protects your belongings against theft or damage from fire, smoke, flooding or explosions. If something happens to make your apartment or rental home uninhabitable, Assurant provides living expenses.

• Flexibility: If you need to buy a policy for a child attending college, or if you want to purchase one policy with a roommate, Assurant Renters Insurance makes it easy. In fact, you can have up to four people listed on a policy.

• Simple process: It takes less than five minutes to purchase a policy. There are only a few questions to answer, and you can do it all online.

• Affordable premiums: Rental insurance shouldn’t be expensive. Assurant’s plans start at just 44 cents a day.

• Financially-strong company: Assurant is a Fortune 500 company with $30 billion in assets. If you ever need to make a claim on your policy, you can be assured that this company can take care of you.

• Best for: house and apartment renters, especially those with valuable possessions.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky