1.44/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

81 Assurant Renters Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I used Assurant Renters for my apartment for a one year lease and I made a one-time payment out of my checking account. A couple days ago I was charged for a second year, which I did not agree to, and the company didn’t give me a full refund!!! Do NOT use them! They are a terrible company! I didn’t even agree for them to take the money out for a second year or did I agree to automatic renewal and then they don’t return the full amount??? I will NEVER use them again!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

When I joined T-Mobile, I made sure to get "the best" insurance. Today my phone was stolen from me at a cafe and for a moment, actually felt re-assured that I had insurance to fall back on. Unfortunately, my experience with Assurant has been an utter nightmare and the complete opposite of what I would call best in service.

At the store, I was advised to call in and start the claim process. The Assurant agent on the phone told me that I was ineligible to pay the deductible to get a new phone in store because the phone was not 50% paid off (I was not aware of that policy from the start). After reviewing with the T-Mobile agent, my phone WAS more than 50% paid off. After discussing with the agent in store for more than an hour, Assurant realized their error. Sadly, I had to call multiple times asking if they would honor my in-store jump, to get a rep that would help.

The store advised me this was their standard procedure and they did it all the time, so in order to get any help, I spent 3 hours calling the Assurant number, requesting the “jump” and being told they couldn’t help me over and over. I’m not exaggerating, I did this at least 15 times. The poor T-Mobile people had no idea what else to do and were completely blocked from helping me. Every time we got different answers and absolutely no help that was productive in any capacity from the Assurant team. The T-Mobile team assured me they process these jumps in store every day and that I was being treated out of process for absolutely no reason.

I don’t write reviews but I feel compelled to write this because I would love to save anyone the trouble of dealing with this insurance company, who has been absolutely a mess to work with and did absolutely nothing to rectify the issue. I have spent hundreds of dollars paying for the “premium” insurance, with the “jump” protection so that if something happens to my phone I can get a new one immediately. Here I am 4 hours into calling and reporting the same issue over and over again, still without a phone, and being advised I need to wait for them to ship me one in 8 business days. I’m traveling at the moment and without a phone, I’m unable to get around. Not to mention I won’t even physically be here in 8 business days. What a joke. For someone who travels, I would absolutely not recommend this service.

Now 4 hours later, I’m being asked to put in ANOTHER claim, receiving a loaner phone, and not being shipped my actual phone for 8 business days. This requires another trip to this store, putting down a down payment on the phone, and having to come back to exchange it. So much for quality insurance. Instead of being a relief to an already upsetting situation, this company has done nothing but add to the headache.

I used Google Trends to identify the top & rising search keywords related to cell phone insurance to weave into this negative review for Assurant Mobile Insurance in hopes that this review gets a high SEO ranking. The customer service I received is completely deplorable and I would never recommend insurance through Assurant. This cell phone insurance (Assurant) is not worth it. Assurant is the worst cell phone insurance provider, definitely go with something else if you are looking for the best cell phone insurance for T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, or another cell phone insurance plan.

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I purchased a plan and paid in full for the year. I had one claim where I was robbed in my home and it took almost 4 months to get claim paid. On top of the fact that they are never open, no one ever knows Anything. They close your claim for any reason they can and they will never call you back or return an email. Immediately following they cancelled my plan even though I had paid in full and still had time left on my plan. Do not buy anything from these people. They are criminal and Geico shame on you for partnering with such a terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

My apartment was burglarized and the representatives have done nothing to make this traumatic experience any better. I call them multiple times a week and very rarely get through to anyone. They will close your case in a heartbeat. My adjuster has even hung up on me. It has now been 2.5 months and I'm still waiting for information on my claim let alone a check. I guess this is what I get for paying my premium in full. Go with another company if you can!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Assurant insurance through Geico is the absolute worst insurance company I've ever dealt with. Terrible customer service... will give you the run around if you ever need them. Had to deal with everything that comes with a flood/hurricane, and they made it 100x worse. Boo! :(

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Renters Insurance?

Resolution response: Oct. 27, 2018

The refunded the money in a reasonably brief amount of time.. Updating to 3 stars.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Very simple. I canceled this Renter's Insurance on October 13th, 2018. I got as far as I could in deleting my payment info from the website. On October 15th, the annual amount was deducted from my bank account. And I have not been able to reach anyone since then. Avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have been with this company for about two years. I have paid my premiums every month as I am supposed to. I have never made a claim on this policy and recently had a bunch of my property stolen. I submitted a claim and have gotten nothing but the run around the entire time. The adjusters and representatives are rude and they will not help me. It kind of makes you wonder what exactly you're paying for with this company. This shouldn't be this difficult. I highly recommend if you are looking for homeowners or renter’s insurance that you go to a different company. This place and their representatives will not help you. I have been trying to get a claim completed for 2 weeks and still going. I have received the worst customer service that I have received in quite some time.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This company is more than twice what we pay for better coverage now. They will continue to take money from your account even after you cancel your policy. I would never recommend this company for anything.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

When we were hit by hurricane Florence, Assurant worked quick and fast to help us replace our damaged items. We had damages to a lot of our outdoor items and to some of our indoor rugs and they had our claim closed and paid within 2 weeks of filing it. So very thankful for them. The process was super easy too.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

While moving out of state from NJ to FL. I left some boxes behind for me to move myself with a trailer. While I was away, my home was burglarized. Their investigator said she found it hard to believe I left clothing etc. behind. I told her with out of state moves, they pick up your items, transfer to a holding facility, then onto a tractor trailer with other orders going to that destination and I was afraid they would be stolen and were of importance so I rented a trailer and provided my receipt for the trailer rental. Now, four months later, their investigator is stating how do I know you left those things behind? WTF!!! I called the police and have a report and police photographs. They do not pay their claims! I am hiring an attorney. I paid four years of renters insurance and they will not pay?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Very disappointed that I was recently declined for renters insurance coverage due to having 2 no-fault claims within the past 2 years with this company. Agent Kyle ** was particularly rude on the phone with me when I started to inquire as to why this was the case and what the implications would be for future coverage. Was not helpful when trying to figure out solutions for coverage either and treated me like it was my fault and that I was a bad person for getting denied coverage. Never have I been denied coverage or treated by a company in this way and would not recommend doing business with this company at all.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My wife and I are renting a house in Wilmington NC and hurricane Florence was heading our way. All the news stations and officials were saying to evacuate the area due to the predicted severity and life threatening conditions. We were lucky enough to find a place in Georgia that would allow pets so we packed some belongings and our 3 dogs and headed out of town. My wife contacted Assurant to open a claim and she was told that since the part of Wilmington that we are living in wasn't under mandatory evacuation that our expenses for leaving would not be covered. I guess the fact that everyone saying to get out and NC being declared a state of emergency still constitutes a voluntary evacuation. DO NOT USE!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I paid $129 as renter's insurance in 2016 for a ** apartment and I already moved out from that apartment early 2017. I never set up any automatic payment with Assurant Inc. But in Sept 2017 and Sept 2018, I received emails saying that my automatic payments are scheduled and got charged $129 every year after I already ended my lease and moved out of the apartment. Assurant is a thief stealing money from your bank account. Never leave your bank account information to them!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Canceled my insurance per their website and they will not stop taking money out of my account. Not able to get assistance nor refund for the money and extra fees from not expecting the unauthorized withdraw.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Lost all items in a fire. They evaded my calls, lied to me and their adjuster showed up when I wasn’t home to take pictures. He only took pictures of my mattress. Took them 2 months to send anything after threatening them with a lawyer. Please do not use. They are an absolute nightmare.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Horrible service, still no check. Been a month and nothing. I highly recommend you go somewhere else. These people are crooks. The storm ruined everything and I'm left with a yard full of all of my treasures now garbage. I have to throw everything away. They won't help me at all. I'm still waiting. They couldn't possibly take any longer.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We signed up for renters insurance through Geico. Trusting them we got our renters insurance. It's from Assurant. Worst mistake of my life! We had this policy for 4 years, on July 20th 2018 my husband and I lost our home and 95% of our belongings to a fire. Our policy was for $20,000. It took more than a week for them to send an adjuster out. By then everything was covered in mold including the walls. The insurance adjuster referred to it as a total loss. We submitted more than $25,000 worth of inventory paperwork and most receipts for nearly everything since 90% of our items have been purchased in the last 3 years. They settled our claim and closed it and deposited $5,041 into our account.

They now refuse to return any phone calls or give us copies of any of the items that they claim depreciated to the point of not being able to get paid out. Including a 75-inch 4K Smart TV that hasn't even been paid for yet. Not only does their settlement not pay off the things we were still making payments on but it doesn't even come close to replacing what we lost. I have contacted three separate case managers because we had 6 total two managers and their managers without even so much as a callback or an email. If you value your belongings or your home or your money please get your insurance from someone else. If there was a way to give them negative Stars I would but I'm forced to give at least one just so that's can get read by others.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am a senior who obtained an extended appliance warranty on my brand new home. The policy was over $1100. When I had a claim for microwave repair after 4 years, a service person came out and then said the issue was not under warranty. I called to have the issue reviewed, and after weeks no results. I was told to send photos via email and every time I called to follow up, no one knew what was going on. THIS COMPANY IS SCAMMING ELDERLY PEOPLE. Purchase a full home warranty through a reputable company rather than this!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Assurant.com Renters Insurance - Do not deal with this company. Assurant.com Insurance - Do not deal with this company. Probably the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life and won't make the same mistake again. Received renters insurance from what I thought was Geico, did not know they give the renters insurance to Geico. When dealing with the Geico agent he stated that my equipment would be covered regardless. Three months into the policy, I had packages stolen from in front of my door. Response from REP, “I'm sorry we don't cover that.” A few more packages stole, REP, “We don't handle/cover that.” Someone breaks a 5000 dollar film camera - REP: “I'm sorry we don't cover that unless you can prove it was vandalism.” So I sold the equipment for parts for a few hundred dollars. Loss of 4500.00 dollars.

A few months later I figure I would try again, with no luck. Agent/Rep tells me it’s a few months and the police won't fill out a police report and why didn't I do that originally. I explained to him I called months earlier and was told "We don't handle/cover that.” The only reason I got renters insurance was for the coverage of my film equipment. So far a broken camera valued at thousands and multiple packages stolen in front of my door. I was misled by the Geico agent 10 months ago. I was lead to believe that all this would be covered (Just to get my money). None of it was covered. A loss of thousands and will never deal with Assurant Insurance ever again and suggest you do the same.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Assurant Renters Insurance does not cover the furnishing in the house, and do not like to pay claims off. The customer service is horrible, and the cost is high. I had insurance. The mortgagor said he had no record and gave me their insurance, based on the stock exchange.

Original review: June 12, 2018

This is the insurance company the banks placed on my mortgage for my Mobile Home during financing. Seems high for the amount of insurance and the deductibles are too, I just reread the amount of replacement and it is only half of the mortgage. Mmm. Something doesn't seem right.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Purchased Assurant Renters Insurance as I trust Geico. MISTAKE! They had no problem insuring my contents for 40K and collecting the payments. My apartment was burgled and that's when the problems begin. Julio, My adjuster, never available and never returned calls. They are asking for receipts on belongings that I have had in excess of 5yrs... They don't ask you to prove the value of your things to get a policy but will make you jump through hoops to prove the value when they go missing.

Every time I was 'missing documentation' he would communicate via USPS though he had my phone number and email (which they used when it was convenient to them) thus drawing out the process. Long story short they took over 12K of stuff from my apartment. Assurant told me my settlement check was ready but not what the figure if the settlement was. They eventually deposited just short of $2600.00 into my account. I have found an attorney who is just chomping at the bit to go to court and have the matter arbitrated.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Do not trust Assurant, I left my apartment two years ago!!! But they are charging me yet... They took money out of my account two times in last two years and when I asked them to refund my money they asked me different kinds of proofs for cancellation. They are going to charge you after you moved and they will also charge all new tenants.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I live in an apartment, have had Assurant Renters Insurance for about a year through my Geico Auto Insurance. The apartment community put out a notice a few days ago stating multiple mandatory changes residents had to make in our policies effective no later than a week from the date of the notice. I am disabled, (relative to the review) one of my diseases happens to be lung-related and causes my voice to no longer be a voice. Meaning, it is extremely difficult to communicate with me, understand what I am saying because my voice is incredibly hoarse most times and goes completely out at times mid word or mid sentence. It is very frustrating, for me and for the person I am attempting to relay information to. Company personnel tend to let me know, in a lot of words and suggestions, how frustrating I am to them.

I first attempted to update the information online, but there was not enough space for the amount of characters. I hesitantly called and thankfully my call was answered by Christie. She was amazing! Not one complaint or even acknowledgment of my crazy, scratchy 'sound'. She not only took care of everything from my end, but had me merge in the property management office with a couple of questions she had. While on the line with the leasing agent, Christie made sure to get all of their contact information so I wouldn't have to be responsible in getting anything to management at all. It would all be done from Assurant directly to management. I was completely shocked to say the least. Christie was the 100% professional, friendly, knew her product, was extremely efficient. I wish she could be cloned for ALL companies...

Original review: March 27, 2018

Can never get in touch with my agent. Every agent I have spoken with has been very rude, like this is their own money they're required to pay. I have never got a direct answer from anyone. I'm always told someone will call me back and "give me an answer". Days go by and nothing is resolved. My house is for sale and I am trying to get some repairs done from my last tenants in the home and getting absolutely nothing accomplished. Run with all you have, pay extra for premiums if you have to just to avoid the unnecessary bull crap you have to deal with this company to get a claim handled properly and professionally. I was actually writing this review as I was placed on hold for the third time, might I add without him telling me he was going to place me on hold. I'm talking to him and then all of a sudden I hear 'hold' music. Very frustrating company to ever deal with. As soon as this claim is resolved I will switch insurance companies.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Do not trust Assurant, they took money out of my account 9 months after moving out of the apartment I was covering, and I have called twice and they tell me that I can't get a refund until after 10 days. This is just one of the many issues I have had with Assurant. Also be wary of the unemployment "benefit" they have, you have to be receiving unemployment assistance from the government to get that.

Original review: March 23, 2018

My husband and I set up renters insurance with Geico in October of 2017. Before I could even make my first payment, my house was burglarized, on my son's seventh birthday nonetheless, so we contacted the claims center, which turned out to be Assurant. Our original claims adjuster was Pierce **. He lied to us from the get go about the terms of our contract, was impossible to get hold of, and never EVER answered the phone or called us back. It was two months before we received any payment whatsoever for our claim, only to discover that they had strongly undervalued all of our missing items.

When I called to complain, I was told that someone else who wasn't even my adjuster (Oscar something-or-other was the name I was given) had "messed around with my file when he had no business doing so" and that's why the amount I received was significantly lower than it should have been. So this company apparently doesn't watch their employees and keep them from touching things they shouldn't be touching. My claims adjuster was supposedly fired for robbing people and pocketing the excess money, and my claim was turned over to the "supervisor" Patricia **. It has now been FIVE MONTHS since we first opened our claim and still have yet to receive the rest of the payment they owe us for stealing from us in the first place.

Two weeks ago I called to see what was going on since I never heard anything from this company regarding the rest of my claim, and naturally I was unable to reach Patricia, but the person I did speak to assured me that my file was "done and ready to go" on her desk and all they were waiting for was for Patricia to send my file over to the man who processes them for the bank. This same person also told me that repeated calls "make Patricia angry" and cause her to "purposely delay the processing of your file". I have not called once since, but I STILL have not received the rest of my payment I am owed. If I cannot call and she refuses to call me back, exactly how long am I supposed to wait for a mistake to be rectified that was their fault in the first place? I am very much on the verge of calling my lawyer. This company is unethical, rude, and should have been closed down a long time ago.

Original review: March 21, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY TO COVER YOU!!! I tried to give no stars but was forced to give one. I am not going into detail about how they screwed us over. It is too painful. My family was robbed a week after Christmas and this BS fraud company paid out $287 for thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. I beg of you to find another company.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Geico was great when our car was totaled due to a flash flood. The claim process was easy and they sent me a check very quickly. HOWEVER - dealing with their renter's insurance claims is utterly disappointing! They use the third party Assurant Insurance Company for renter's insurance and I have had the worst experience with them - VASTLY different than my car insurance claim. Had I known they were so terrible, I would've gone elsewhere for my renter's insurance.

Hey GEICO! - Assurant is giving you guys a bad name! Their claim process sucks. They are hard to reach and noncommunicative at best. Several phone calls and emails go unresponded. We waited over 3 weeks to even have an inspector come and check out our water damaged apartment due to a spontaneous sprinkler pipe burst - which lead to mold growing in our home. They randomly misvalue items and then depreciate them on top of that. After sending them receipts to items they've misvalued - again no response - which leads to more hounding. Dealing with this claim has become a fulltime job. Find another company to insure your home. Gieco/Assurant will surely disappoint you for renter's insurance!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

This company sold me an insurance policy for our microwave but they have never been able to provide us with a service provider to fix the problem with the microwave. They recommended we find someone and they would reimburse but I signed up for the policy because I couldn't find anyone. I have called them multiple times over the last months and they have never returned my calls. In today's world of good customer service they rank very poorly...

Assurant Renters Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Assurant is a specialty insurance company headquartered in Florida. Founded in 1947, Assurant grew to become a Fortune 500 company and now offers specialty insurance including renters’ and apartment insurance.

• Coverage: Assurant Renters Insurance protects your belongings against theft or damage from fire, smoke, flooding or explosions. If something happens to make your apartment or rental home uninhabitable, Assurant provides living expenses.

• Flexibility: If you need to buy a policy for a child attending college, or if you want to purchase one policy with a roommate, Assurant Renters Insurance makes it easy. In fact, you can have up to four people listed on a policy.

• Simple process: It takes less than five minutes to purchase a policy. There are only a few questions to answer, and you can do it all online.

• Affordable premiums: Rental insurance shouldn’t be expensive. Assurant’s plans start at just 44 cents a day.

• Financially-strong company: Assurant is a Fortune 500 company with $30 billion in assets. If you ever need to make a claim on your policy, you can be assured that this company can take care of you.

• Best for: house and apartment renters, especially those with valuable possessions.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky