2. Finance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About John Hancock Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

John Hancock Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

All I can say about this company is that they don't know their right hand from their left. Out of 5 different people I dealt with only ONE seemed to kinda know what they were talking about. A supervisor, I won't mention HER name, was completely RUDE, how she became a supervisor is beyond me. I would not trust them with $.03 let alone some of the amounts they are "managing." If you are a company looking to utilize these guys I would think twice. They will cause nothing but headaches for your employees.

On top of misinformation as well as one person telling you something completely different than the other with a little omission of other pertinent details one should know sprinkled in, it makes for a very frustrating relationship. I won't go into the details of the week long HEADACHE I experienced with them in regards to MY money because I would have to write a novel but I will tell you this....IT WASN'T FUN!! BEWARE and look elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Not very responsive on customer service, have had to make repeated requests over the years to have corrections made. I have a Whole life policy that is paid up and don't need any additional coverage.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Please do not purchase anything from them! My grandmother who raised 5 orphans had this policy for more than 30 years. She had just passed away Nov 22 2020. Today is the 31st of Dec. And still no payment. They are still currently giving my other sibling issues on payments as well. It took 14 days for a claims rep to call one of us. Now they are closed for the holiday and have to wait. I wonder if they ever screwed over a life insurer before. I am going to the Bank Of Finacial Insurance and beg that this company be Audited.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

They don't do anything for you. I transferred my policy from a group plan to personal and the only time you hear from them is when they have to send their compliance documents. To me, as a person who is getting older, your life insurance broker, should be providing additional guidance. Make sure that everything is "tidy" in case of or when a person dies.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Changed denial reason (7 months later) after I proved they were incorrect with supporting documentation. For the last 7 months, John Hancock who sends their claims to Seven Corners has denied me because they believed I claimed items that they thought had been returned to Amazon. After 3 reviews where they didn’t look at my supporting documents, 2 independent investigations through G4S and Optima, 3 way phone calls with Amazon, and hours adding additional information on each and every item they believed was returned (40 items-took 10 hours to prepare). Then sending an additional 72 pages of proof on top of the original 90 they’ve had on day one..... They just changed their denial reason. Simple as that!

I showed through 4 different ways that nothing was returned and then after 7 months, 20+ emails and 20+ Phone calls they just decide to change the denial reason to another so I’m back to square one! The most egregious part is that they reverted to the original denial letter that claimed I had other providers that I did not tell them about. This was despite the fact that I had ALREADY proven THAT was false. Which was also the reason they had changed THAT denial reason to claiming items were returned.

I provided emails, investigation contacts, phone calls...you name it. I easily showed that from day one I had multiple policies through my emails and initial claim (I had 14 checked bags). On the initial claim report I listed that I had at least another policy (there is only room for 1). So, I then sent them each policy name, policy number, and their contact number. I gave them G4S's investigators number who was doing an investigation with AMEX.. So again, they knew I had other carriers. This was given BEFORE they made a decision the FIRST time. There is absolutely no reason, no sane person, could possibly misinterpret me as trying to conceal I had other policies! None. It's absolutely maddening how they can this to people ethically. Not to mention, it's completely illegal. Horrible, unethical company.. STAY FAR AWAY!

** Edit: Have filed BBB complaint. Lori the manger I spoke to who requested 40 items they believed were returned will not respond via her email. Can someone explain how after 3 incorrect reviews about Amazon items being returned, the claim denial can be changed to an earlier denial reason that was also already proven untrue. Waiting for next manager John to talk to, whom is days late to respond. No one here, messenger, or email will respond. I’m stuck endlessly calling the phone reps (which I will continue to do relentlessly) until I speak to a manager.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This company needs to be investigated and audited. My grandparents had a joint retirement account. When my grandfather passed away in 2012 my grandmother called to report his death and update beneficiaries. She was instructed to complete a TOD form which she did and sent back. A few weeks later she was sent another form because the old form was not according to their policies and needed to be notarized. She completed this form and had a notary signature and mailed back in their postage paid envelope.

A month later she was told because my grandfather is deceased they needed her to complete two more forms to make her the only account holder in a new account. She did this as well. This was a very frustrating process and they had multiple accounts with other banks/institutions and this was by far the most ridiculous process, but we thought all was good and resolved. Fast forward to 2019 when my grandmother passed away. We file a death claim and we are told they are sorry but they have NO beneficiaries listed for this account!!! Keep in mind this was the only reason my grandmother called in the first place. Their answer is because the account was a joint account and only my grandmother signed the beneficiary forms they were invalid and she never sent in a new one under the new account. They never sent her another one or told her another needed to be sent in.

We now had to probate her estate costing thousands of dollars - all accounts from other institutions 1 life insurance policy (met life) 4 bank accounts, and 1 other retirement account (T. Rowe Price) were all disbursed within weeks of notification. Now we have a court order of who to distribute the money to and guess what. They won’t distribute it - we have to create another “new” account titled “the estate” of my grandmother name in order for them to follow the court order and distribute funds. I am beyond disgusted!!!!

Original review: July 15, 2020

I cashed out my 401K. According to what I have been told (by customer service reps). They tell me 7-10 business days to mail. Today is day 9 and no check. Coming from Buffalo NY should take 3 - 5 days.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Incompetent Company and Employees. My dad made on-time payments to John Hancock Life Insurance Company for YEARS. Upon his passing in May 2020, we contacted John Hancock Life Insurance by phone. They emailed us a claim form and told us what necessary documents they needed to process the claim. Told us it would take 10 business days to process the claim then funds would be distributed. Here it is now July 6th and we haven’t received ANYTHING BUT THE RUN-AROUND! We have called and called and called. Each time we call they say the same thing... They don’t see any updates and will call us tomorrow with an update; which they never do. THIS IS RIDICULOUS, John Hancock’s employees are incompetent and the company is a JOKE! If I ran my business this way I wouldn’t have a business. I want this resolved immediately, if not sooner! This is unacceptable and inexcusable.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Our company switched to John Hancock many years ago. 4 1/2 years ago I took a 401K loan. When I received the amortization schedule from them it was obviously wrong and would not pay off the loan in the 5 year payback schedule. I contacted JH and they told me I was wrong. Well 4 years later they say, "Oh, the payback schedule is wrong and I now need to double up on the payments or make payments on their website in order to not be penalized." I made one payment on their web site and am unable to make any more due to their website "glitch" as they call it. This has been going on for 3 months. So John Hancock is an investment company that is unable to calculate a simple amortization schedule or maintain a functioning website.

Original review: May 13, 2020

My employer switched to John Hancock about two years ago and it is the worst brokerage I have ever dealt with. Awful phone support, unintuitive browser, an app that barely functions, and somehow, it breaks, or fails to sync with, every budgeting tool out there. Once you do log-in, it's very hard to find information about your investments - it's as if they don't want to give you visibility of your own money. I actually like my employer but the fact that they chose John Hancock for retirement benefits is a huge negative. Avoid this brokerage - if you are looking for a plan provider for a company, do the employees a solid and choose literally any other bank.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

John Hancock author review by Neal Frankle

Hancock was founded in 1862, but it was acquired by Canadian insurer Manulife Financial in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.

• Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.

• Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.

• Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.

• Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information