John Hancock Life Insurance

Compare Life Insurance

Research top Life Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Read the small print on your long term contracts. We have been attempting to get claims paid for my mother's care under her plan... but now after 4 months of

paperwork, arguing, calling, faxing... they tell us that the elimination days are the actual days of professional care and not days at our home rehabbing under our care. ONLY THE DAYS that she had Occupational or Physical Therapy, Nursing or Home Aid care COUNTED as elimination days. So our 60 day timeline of care only counted as 25 days per John Hancock. They failed to tell us about the FINE PRINT (notice the use of caps on FINE PRINT) about the days they consider elimination days. BEWARE of John Hancock and make sure your agent... yeah right... the agent knows the scoop on the fine print of these policies. Small wonder insurance companies are making small fortunes these days on the backs of their small print contracts.

I have not had anything to claim yet to rate their claim response, but the customer service on their accounting is absolutely the lowest. I have been paying our premium for both of my wife and my accounts via separated my bank auto payment setup for over five years. In middle of 2016, they changed the address without notifying us. The last three payments got returned due to wrong address. No communication were conducted and both of our accounts then got into inactive status.

During our call, we got the new address and made all three returned payments to the new address, but got returned again due to bad address again. We, over the phone, were told the provided address was wrong again and they provided with third address for the payment. The new 2017 payments along with past payments were then sent accordingly - surprisingly again, only the 2017 new payments were credited to our accounts while the 2016 payments did not. They were kept there for over two months (neither credit to us nor returned).

Was on the phone at least eight times with different agents. In few months' time during this mess, spent total of four and half hours trying to get this straight without luck. During the phone conversations, I have found many mistakes were made from their end along the line and never get corrected after pointed out by my comments made in numerous times of my previous phone calls. I had to write up a long letter - with all proofs of the constant payment effort made along with status of each attempt (return due to bad address). The long certified letter sent included total of nine pages. Besides stating all the facts, I specifically asked for the reason which actually caused the multiple mistakes made there a) without proper internal communication/correction and b) what would be done to prevent the same from happening to others clients in future.

After over four months of fighting, I finally was informed on 03/07/2017 in a brief letter (few lines) that both of our account get reinstated (as of March 2017) but ABSOLUTELY without any explanation as to what went wrong then and no apology whatsoever. This tells me that nothing was seriously reviewed/addressed over this case. At very least, they don't care much about customers feeling and completely ignored their request made.

I am extremely disappointed of my experience with JHLI - LTC unit account team along with their support. I feel strongly that this would be a consistent pattern in terms of their typical customer service and I would not be the only one getting this type of treatment. I cannot really imagine what I can do should the similar service is given while filing claim in future when I need their help the most. No one, obviously, would have the luxury to spend that amount of time during that kind of condition. I really hope they will take this seriously and have the process/procedure improved, to start with - having better communication with their client in responding.

My mother passed away in 2013 and had a policy with JH. Myself and my siblings were beneficiaries on the policy and as the executor of the estate I directed each of my siblings to complete the necessary forms so that equal distribution could be made. On July 15, 2016 (3+ years later) I received a letter at my home addressed to one of them that I thankfully opened a few weeks later. Thinking it was just another solicitation or junk mail since I received other such items since mom's death, I was glad that I opened it instead of throwing it away... It was a notice indicating that JH was making a final attempt to reach a sibling and if there was no response by 8-3-16 that the funds will be reported to the state.

I immediately called John Hancock and they told me to fill out a form and email it to them which I did and received an auto-reply acknowledging their receipt. I followed up with a phone call and was told that it would take a few weeks to process. I called after a few weeks and was told that they were still working on it. On November 14, I received a letter addressed to me that the funds were turned over to the state and that I had to call the Office of the General Treasurer who told me that the funds would not be put into the system until January.

Call after call after call to John Hancock looking for an explanation was both exhausting and emotionally draining. After 3 months of calling and leaving messages that were never returned I finally reached someone today that told me that because it was my estranged sibling's name on the funds that they couldn't do anything for me! They also informed me that they sent letters to my other siblings (3 to each of them) since 2013 asking them to have the sibling that was named complete the paperwork contact them. What I can't forgive JH for is putting me through 3 months of agony and not giving me an explanation as to why they would have sent letters to the others siblings but not me who they had the documentation verifying that I was the Executor of the Will.

The representatives that I dealt with were not only unprofessional but insensitive and condescending with their responses to the situation offering no guidance whatsoever to resolve. When I told them I would be filing a complaint, they said....."go right ahead". Not happy with John Hancock and it would be over my mother's dead body that I would ever recommend them. They could have told me this on day 1 not 3 months later. I am so frustrated right now I feel sick.

Very long hold times and unresponsive w/requests. It's like once you're signed up w/JH long-term products, you are treated like you're stuck w/them so they don't need to impress further. I have some JH VUL products and it has been very unpleasant dealing w/them. It give me no peace of mind.

This company once the leader in Whole Life Insurance has put my family through several days of hours long telephone conversations only to be told that the life insurance policy my deceased sister paid for years did not exist. It turned out that they sold this part of the business to a company in Canada without notifying their policyholders. Shame on them. I rate them below "0" on a scale of 1-10. The aggravation and distress they caused my brother-in-law should be punishable with a jail sentence.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

My 85 year old mother has been paying on this crappy long term insurance policy for decades and now that she finally needs it these bottom feeders make it impossible to get reimbursed. Every time I call it's the same bs about how they didn't receive the correct information and it needs to be faxed over again. Even the asst. living / home health care companies are on to their scam. As soon as I told them my mom had John Hancock they said be prepared to fax everything several time b/c they will tell you that they didn't receive it to keep from paying out... and it's true! They should be ashamed for taking advantage of the elderly!

On 6/1/16, I separated from my employer, and within 2 weeks, requested a partial distribution of funds, by calling the number indicated on the website. I wanted to know exactly how to get this done. I was advised to send the forms the person would send me, and write a note on the forms as to what I wanted to do. He advised he would call back to follow up. After a week of no forms and no callback, I called again, and got someone else who was more helpful, and though his information was MORE accurate, it was not complete. I did as he indicated, and fortunately, after another week, someone called me from JH to explain what I needed to do.

I finally got the correct info. I did as advised, and got a partial distribution a month after the initial call. We just had an emergency situation occur, so I sent a form via overnight mail, which was received on 8/5, and signed for. On Tuesday, I called to check status of the request, and also sent an email. I was told it's in process via the call, and they could/would not provide further info. The email response advised they could not provide info, and to call. A vicious circle if I might say so!! I checked daily to see if the funds were at least processed, and nothing.

Today, 8/12, I emailed and called again. Same story--except the person I spoke with said she would advise the other dept it was important to get this done quickly, do to the need--and asked for the number to follow up (by someone?). Gave her the number, received no callback, and the site undergoes maintenance today until 8A Mon, 8/15, when I will have to start over again and call to find out when I can get my money. I am extremely frustrated, and they have no method to actually complain, talk to a person who can do something, and it is extremely frustrating!!!

For more than 2 months, representatives with John Hancock misidentified my sister and I as beneficiaries of our deceased father's life insurance policy. We gathered all of the requested paperwork and sent them all they asked us to send. After 2 months, we were told that the policy had been amended more than 25 years ago and we were not the beneficiaries. They had overlooked the addendum submitted to them in 1988! Appalling incompetence!

The customer service of John Hancock leaves a lot to be desired so much so that I closed an annuity, that generated a monthly income stream, which I opened on 11/27/2007 and terminated on 08/25/2015, as I could no longer deal with their inefficiency. Depending on whom you are connected to at customer service in the US or the Philippines, where they outsource, the answers are never the same from rep to rep and/or answers are wrong and/or incomplete or they put you on hold for "a second" which translates into 5-10-15 minutes or more. I am an American expat that happens to live in Asia where 1-800 numbers do not equate to toll-free which means I am paying for calls to solve issues or ask simple questions. JH unlike the 8 other annuity companies that I deal with "are not permitted" to make overseas calls.

The most recent (as the history is far too long to get into) example of this lack of quality customer service had to do with a simple request for a 1099R so that I could finish my 2015 US taxes way ahead of the April 15th deadline. This year my request is the exception not the rule since I will be out of Asia for 3-4 months in a location where there is erratic or no e-mail or phone service. Therefore, I needed to receive my 1099R asap to work with my accountant before my departure. For the record JH is the only company out of 8 that I deal with that does not post online 1099R but mails (and not the fastest way possible) them or e-mails them if a client requests them to do so.

I did contact JH customer service through JH mail and was advised end Jan would be the best. That is where the good news ends. Since the clock was ticking to complete my 2015 taxes I called customer service and was connected to Rossmiel ** in the Philippines. She was sweet and somewhat helpful after I explained my situation and kind enough to e-mail a 1099R but the one that was sent belonged to another JH client. When I asked her to e-mail my 1099R she did and after I reviewed the calculations compared to my last quarterly statement, it was wrong. I needed to spend close to 45 minutes more long distance going over what the correct numbers should be which she agreed were indeed accurate. I also faxed this saga to Vivia ** Customer Relations and to date did not receive any response.

She then advised it would take 7-10 business days for a new corrected 1099R form to be processed and mailed which was totally unacceptable for reasons stated above. After additional phone time I was given a confirmation number # ** and told that she will send a corrected 1099R within 24-48 hours to my e-mail address. That time has passed and a corrected 1099R has not been e-mailed to me as promised. At 5 am today I needed to wake up and then once again chase at my expense the status of this simple request. I was connected to customer service in the US and spoke to Michael (no last name given) having to repeat the entire saga as above.

Michael gave me a boilerplate answer that he could not help me since 1099R could not be issued until Jan 27th US date which is already past on my side of the world. So the question I asked is "then if this is correct information how was Rossmiel ** able to issue a 1099R that was not mine and an incorrect 1099R that was mine? Michael could offer no explanation. He then asked me to fax what I was sent by Rossmiel ** to fax number 617-663-3160 which I did and I was advised that he would e-mail my hopefully correct 1099R his time 8 am his date Jan 27th. I am holding my breath. Bottom line I would never consider doing any future business or recommending JH to anyone, especially if they move as I did or live overseas as I do unless they enjoy endless frustration and large phone bills.

I am trying to get reimbursement for my mothers Long Term Care policy. Her policy required that she pay the first 6 months which she has done and that the policy would start reimbursement beginning at the end of the 6 months. This all began in Feb. 2015. The reimbursements should have begun August 2015. To date no reimbursements. 5 months now I have been trying to deal with John Hancock. I get the run around dealing with call centers. I cannot get anyone to look at the case and talk to me. Very frustrating. When I ask for a local rep I'm told there are not agents or reps. Really, If I wanted to BUY A NEW POLICY I'm sure an agent would be available. Now sending an entire history to the state insurance commissioner to ask them to help me out.

The initial application process is much easier than you would think, and every member of the staff treats you respectfully and makes you feel like family. They show you how much they care about your family's future, and you will never feel so confident and secured that you have taken steps to support your loved ones no matter what the future holds.

Father passed in 2008 - 7 years later I find out that he had a policy. I presented all the required documents, and each time I have called customer service - I keep getting the runaround. It seems that literally they are ending my phone call while I am still speaking. At one point I even asked to speak to a manager, and the customer service person did her best to rebuttal me being able to speak to someone. I can appreciate that the several reps I have spoken with offer their condolences; however not responding to my questions and giving scripted answers has been extremely frustrating. The key to this, is (again) I have submitted all the required documents and today I was still told that it would be another 10-14 days to find out anything. My advice, check with the companies that you have life insurance with and make sure they run a customer service team, that can actually provide answers to your questions.

In all situations, Life Insurance is for the people you leave behind. Regardless of the nature of the claim and the complexity of the situation. You do not want your family members after you are gone, getting the runaround. The key to life insurance is to leave a peace of mind. After this amount of time that has gone by, I would rather get this over sooner than later. In addition to that comment, it is ironically strange that the company sent out correspondence 7 years later. Death can occur suddenly and leave family, spouse and legal administrators with the responsibility of "literally" paying for everything. Therefore, again I advise to make sure you have all your T's are crossed and I's are dotted for your family. Otherwise they will spend unnecessary time - fighting for what is legally theirs.

I have had this policy for years, I have never had any issue. We recently reviewed the policy to make sure it is correct, and accurate. Made the necessary changes according to my change in ages from when it started, to my current life situation. My original agent started as the father, and now the son/daughter are running the business.

Worst customer support (especially for financial & wealth management) in the industry. I have used Schwab, Fidelity, Prudential, eTrade, and Chase in the past and used them as comparison. At John Hancock their call center is 100% based in Philippines at all hours of the day & night. The call reps don't get measured on answering questions accurately, or providing any amount of customer service, rather only on speed of answer. THAT'S IT! They were of no help at all.

The website indicated to call their 800 number for information on 401k questions, yet the the call rep constantly referred me back to the website for information (that wasn't present). The call felt like a "Who's on first?" episode. Even at the end of the call when they asked had they answered all my questions, and I indicated they did NOT help with my concerns, the response said it all, "Excellent, have a nice day," and they hung up! This is the fourth call I've had with them and I can't wait to move my money OUT of that place. Stay away from this firm. Whatever promises are being made in local offices, or by brokerage firms trying to sign you or your company up, I PROMISE you will be sorry later.

I have had this insurance for over 30 years and am happy with it. The benefits are great and the investment grows quickly. If I have any questions, they are answered in a timely manner. I also have a representative who lives in my town and is very easy to work with.

On 10/23/2015 I went to my agent to fill out surrender forms to cash out this policy. So I check it out by calling John Hancock, the forms were fill out wrong. Then went back to him have the check direct deposit to my bank on 11/9/15. My has lung cancer. I need money to pay medical bills, they said it's processed and on its way. I think we need to ask. If I would, I die. My wife have this much trouble get money from this company because they got promise out of my bank.

I have not had any major issues with my life insurance company but I wish they gave you the option of doing more things online. Calling them is hard because you are kept on hold for a long period of time and I have more important things to do than spend a lot of time resolving problems.

I had to roll over another account from a different job. I thought it would be a long process but the staff were so friendly and knowledgeable that it was done very quickly and easily. The entire process was very well explained! I would definitely recommend them to everyone looking :)

I have had insurance with John Hancock for the past 15 years. I switched from another insurance company to them because they offered me the most for my money as well as cash investments. To simplify matters relative to premiums, I have them deducted directly from checking account monthly so that I do not have to concern myself with late payments. The company provides me with monthly statements that gives me all relevant information such as policy values, advances in stocks associated with the policy. It has a website where I can go and get answers to all of my questions. To date, my relationship with the company has been excellent and I would recommend them to anyone who needs insurance.

I have had my policy with them for 35 years and am very happy with them. My death benefits has doubled and my cash value is about 30 percent more than I have actually put in. I bought my son a policy when he was an infant for 50,000 and is now worth about 10.

Several years after becoming disabled I had many questions about my policy. This was because I did not originally remember that I had a disability clause in my policy that would enable me to stop paying my monthly deductible. Instead this cost is actually absorbed by the insurance company throughout my disability, which is diagnosed as a lifelong disability. They were extremely helpful and guided me through the paperwork and nuances of my policy. I knew they had my best interest at heart and I was incredibly grateful.

My policy is provided through my employer. Our representative with John Hancock has made himself available to my husband and I for any questions that we have had. Very soon we will be inquiring about more coverage and I know that our questions will be answered fully and in a timely manner as they have in all of the past interactions we have had.

2009 my mom passed away, she & my dad have had Hancock life ins. since 1959. Dad turned in her ins. policy & was told she had taken a loan on the policy & they would take the balance due from his claim. Mom never took a loan from that policy even though they took over $3000.00, it's now 2015 & Dad is still receiving a bill for $3837.77. When I speak to them about this they say it's got to do with increased rates (their rate was locked in 1959). Also, this is the hardest company to find a phone # to speak to an actual person, all their business is done by mail... Why so hard to contact, is it their under-handed way of doing business - would not recommend this company to anyone!

For the last few years, I had individual long term care insurance policy with this company that I allowed to lapse due to financial difficulties on May 10, 2015. I had purchased this policy from Donald ** at the Sarasota FL office on cattle ridge Drive. When my agent D. ** found out about the lapse, he immediately tried to sell me on a different type of insurance policy that he told me would be both life insurance and also disability insurance (the name on the policy is: flexible premium universal life insurance). I told him at that time that I couldn't afford this policy right now because of my financial situation, nor that I needed life insurance because I have no dependents. He said this was also disability insurance. So he pushed on and told me, "let's just see if you can even qualify for this policy first and then you can decide later if you want to enable it."

So I did, went through the medical exam and passed it. Then he called up and told me he was coming by my house to retrieve a check, but again I told him "No", that at that moment (August 27th) I still couldn't afford to pay a premium. Yet he pushed and pushed to get a check out of me with a promise he wouldn't deposit it so I gave him a check but only because I trusted him on his word that he would hold it and not deposit it, until I would initiate a phone call to his office telling them that they could.

I'm self employed and my income is very irregular and the premium is a lot of money to me. Now here is where he literally screwed me. When he made me write out a check and promised me he would NOT deposit it until I initiated a phone call to his office telling him to deposit it. I NEVER made that call but I got a phone call from him 10 days later on September 5th that he wanted to deliver a policy to me, I think he came to my house on September 7 to be precise. I thought this very was odd because I hadn't paid for it (or so I thought) and again I said, "But I can't pay for it now" and he said, "That's okay you have 30 days to see if you can afford it. Just give our office a call when you can afford it and we will deposit the check." I didn't know at that time that my check had already been deposited, so he was lying to me about that.

Then he made me sign tons of pages super fast without showing me what was on these pages even, but again, I trusted him. He apologized for not using carbon paper. I had no idea what I was signing for but I trusted him. BTW, I received zero copies of what I signed!!! I found out later. Meanwhile I'm getting lots of mail and bills, such as medical bills that I had no money to pay for them, so I threw them all on a big pile. If you've ever been this broke, it's hard to face or open any bills if you have no money, hence a big pile started to form.

Today I finally did go through all my mail. Only to discover that he had indeed deposited the check already on September 4, 2015, this was done before he delivered my policy on September 7th, only one week after I gave him the check on August 27th, and without getting my consent to deposit it. I had no knowledge that this had been happening and my fault for not checking my own mail sooner. There's more. He MUST have made me sign something that day on September 7 that would take a premium automatically out of my checking account because I happened to check my statements today as well and see a payment pending. I was shocked when I saw that!

I vaguely do remember signing for this, there were so many pages and he was acting all nervous and fast, chewing gum like a rabbit. I didn't want to sign my consent for that and I told him so. I ABSOLUTELY clearly remember him promising me that he would not use this withdrawal consent until I gave him the green light for it. I NEVER, NEVER DID!!! I'm telling you the truth here, because another piece of mail I opened today showed me a letter written on September 11, 2015 that I had consented for this automatic withdrawal. So he had lied to me then also and just submitted the consent form as soon as he got his hands on it. This came as a huge surprise to me.

When he made me sign all this paperwork so quickly I honestly had no idea that I committed even to ANYTHING AT THAT TIME because he kept assuring me that without my oral approval, he would not engage this policy or deposit the check (which he already had deposited behind my back). Meanwhile, my bank account is overdrawn and I have no way even of bringing the balance above zero. The October payment is still in "pending" state at this moment. It also turns out that this policy is not a disability paying policy! What a freaking liar.

I filed a claim as a beneficiary on a life insurance policy held by John Hancock on my mother. I filled out all the forms sent to me and sent them back registered mail, return receipt. I was told the claim would take approx 10 days. I called back in two weeks when I received no update on the claim. After a lot of confusion and contradictory information about the processing of the claim, I was finally told the claim had in fact already been processed and the check mailed.

14 days later when the check still had not arrived, I called again. Again, all those I spoke with (at least 5 reps) could either not find any information or kept putting me on hold for long periods only to come back and still not have any verifiable information as to the whereabouts of the check. When I asked what address the check was mailed to, they were unable to provide even an address. When I asked for a supervisor, I was put on hold for over 30 minutes. Then the supervisor was also unable to find the address the check was mailed and told me they would get back to me. Nobody seemed to be able to find even the most basic information or even the copies of the claim forms I sent in with all my complete information right on it.

Still later and after another four to five calls and transfers, I reached a Norma ** who recited an incomplete, erroneous address the check was mailed to, even five days earlier than first told to me. Not the address I put on the form. Only now did it become apparent the check was lost. A mistake they made which was only discovered by my insistence on verifying the information. Which took me over three hours and endless aggravation to get out of them. All the while, they kept saying the check is in the mail, just wait on it.

Now at this point, with the service rep acting like it was in some way my fault for their screw up, they said they would stop payment on the check mailed to the incorrect address and resend another check. When I asked that they send it US Priority mail with tracking..... (you won't believe this) they said they are unable to send it by priority mail. Or to a PO Box. A US Post Office PO Box. Only FedEx or UPS. I repeated I did not want a driver leaving it on a doorstep. I wanted it sent to a secure PO Box. She said she couldn't and hung up.

I have never been so frustrated with a company or ever come across a customer service that actually does nothing to provide any customer service. Never mind the entire delay and inconvenience to me is their fault. And they still suggested they were helping me. They had done nothing but tell me what they couldn't find, or didn't have, or couldn't do, or lost or transfer me to someone else that proceeded to recite the same excuses. Not the kind of frustrating responses you would want from a company or anyone, when dealing with issues relating to a death in the family. I have always thought highly of John Hancock as a business. A company with integrity. This has certainly tainted my viewpoint on both their integrity and competence and certainly their sensitivity. Just another big company that doesn't care.

My mother has paid on a policy for more than 20 years. After my father passed, I had to place my mother in a facility in March 2014. John Hancock did begin to reimburse me for their portion. After moving her back to her home in March 2015, I pay for her 24-hours care for the final stage of Alzheimer's. John Hancock refuses to reimburse me for the amount that they pay, even though the received paperwork indicating that mother is on hospice.

The company wants $6000 per year to maintain the policy yet the planned payment is $2200. I agreed to pay $3000 per year to maintain the policy (I am now 72 y/o). So why am I angry? They "borrow" the difference from my $100,000 FV policy, CHARGE ME 5% interest on that "loan", and then REDUCE the $100,000 death value by roughly $3000 per year (ie, 100K becomes 97K, then 94K, etc.). Bottom line: I am required to pay them money but they reduce my policy and charge me interest. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place - do I continue paying premiums to keep the $100 policy (reduced each year) in effect for my wife for when I die, or do I simply cash it in for the accumulated cash value, because there will (if I live long enough) come a time that I will have paid more into the policy than it is worth. Any suggestions? Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

I have two policy with this company, paying premium over 15 years. About $4000 yearly. Now I have cash value of over $50,000. I needed some cash, so I called to withdraw some cash (not all of them). They will not let me withdraw the cash value. They push for a loan with 5% interest. Why do I make loan to my own money? Why pay interest to them? I have two more policy with Metlife. They were great!! I cashed my cash value and keep my policy in force. Why can they do that?

Called in, waited through the annoying phone prompts to talk to customer service. I just needed the plan address that is required for rolling over to another account. What happened was endless sales pitches and no address. Finally the representative told me he could give me John Hancock's general mailing address. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Was a slap in the face. I wish the same for them.

My father has been in and out of the hospital most of this year. In trying to establish the 100-day elimination period, it's been a nightmare dealing with this company. The 100-day elimination period is like a yo-yo. The elimination day's actually go up and down. My parents have been paying into this fund for 30 years and this service can't go unpunished. If anybody out there is willing to work with me to sue this company, I'd be interested and can be contacted at **.

Expert Review

Neal FrankleLife Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.    More about Neal→

Hancock is another old-time life insurance provider. It was founded in 1862 but it was acquired by Canadian insurer, Manulife Financial, in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.
  • Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.
  • Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.
  • Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.
  • Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

Compare Life Insurance Companies