John Hancock Life Insurance

Stars Rating

• 1%
  • 99%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?
    Verified purchase

Reviewed June 15, 2024

This has been a complete joke of a company. Their training department has failed. The Tech department has failed. Or is nearly impossible to get your money out of this company. DON'T INVEST YOUR MONEY HERE!!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 3, 2024

I wanted to let anyone know that has life insurance to think about going with someone else. They are horrible to deal with. My father died on April 22 and I have got nothing but the run around. They never call you back. You talk with a different person every time you call in. It is like you are starting over every phone call. John Hancock you guys suck at customer service.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 15, 2024

I just found this bulletin board. These Posts confirm my experiences with JH. I'm currently deciding if I should walk away from my 17 years of paying increasing premiums of a cumulative amount of $90k. If any person reading this board has received benefits from JH for any claim in the past few years, then please post a brief statement.

Profile pic of the author.
      Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 28, 2024

I was leaving my employer for a new job. Given the limited amount I had in my 401k, I made the decision that withdrawing the balance would be more beneficial to my situation than rolling over the $4800. I submitted a withdrawal request on March 28th, come to find out my last paycheck for my final week of work had almost $1000 withheld because I had taken PTO while I was out sick with a fever for nearly two weeks, so I thought to myself 'I am glad I put in for the withdrawal for the 401k now that I am in a financial hole'. I checked every day after the 14 days John Hancock said it typically takes up to. I got to almost a month since I had submitted my request so I called support.

Support informed me that he saw my request but it had not moved and had not made any progress. So here I am a month later and still not a word on my request. That brings me to today, I checked again and now my request does not even show up on my account overview, as it did before. I submitted again and Heaven only knows if this will have any progress or if I have to wait a minimum of two more weeks, meanwhile I am really hurting financially thanks to this despite being proactive prior to my final day at my previous job.

Generic

Hi Andy, I just read your post. I've experienced numerous problems similar to those you have stated. I suspect that JH is trying pocket the money I've paid in premiums and to then to rid itself of me and of the liability of meeting it's end of the deal. Is there any way we can get connect and talk? Maybe this is a class-action situation. Maybe others would join-in too. I'm not including my personal information yet, because then the host of this blog might not publish this Reply. -joe-

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed April 24, 2024

I am the legal guardian for my mom who had to be moved last May to the assisted living within her continuing care facility she lives in. When she was moved to assisted living I started a claim with John Hancock, I went through a lot of back and forth to get the claim opened and waited the 100 days. She is not the only JH customer at her assisted living facility so JH is not new to the billing department at her facility. The first month's invoice went fine. However, each month thereafter it is constant calling, them telling me they did not receive an invoice, being told I need to submit the invoice, now being told I have to send a rate sheet and a residential agreement (keep in mind her facility was already approved).

I called on Monday, was told things were fine and invoices are being processed. I just got off the phone, for the 2nd time today, after being told things were being processed and then received an email telling me they need more documentation. The JH rep who told me I can not submit the invoices, the facility needs to. I have been waiting and calling for 2 months to try to get this latest disaster with them fixed. Still waiting on the February and March invoices to be paid and now the April one will be due.

Profile pic of the author.
      Staff

Reviewed April 15, 2024

They are not taking care of an insurance policy claim and dragging their feet for over 2 months. "The check is in the mail" I keep hearing and it is all a lie. Told different things by different reps. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AT ALL PLEASE. Pathetic and self serving.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2024

Learn from my mistake. I've been paying for this for more than 20 years. This is the 4th year they've raised rates and this year it is significant and already saying they're not done raising them. What I can't get answers on from calling them is why there is such a discrepancy between my policy and my Wife's? I'm 68, she is 67, We both purchased same time, mine was always a couple hundred dollars more than hers, but this year is the worst. My Wife can lower her daily amount by $4.00, from $194 to $190 and her cost actually winds up lower than she was paying the prior year. I wasn't even offered a lower daily rate.

For the past 3 increases we've accepted the lower daily rate to keep our cost fairly equal. I had to call CS to find out I can lower my daily to $190 but my cost would go up $200, so Wife's goes down and mine goes up $200, CS can't explain why. For the 1st time they are actually offering to buy you out to drop the policy. My Wife gets an offer that is 89% of what she has paid to date. My offer only 47% of what I've paid to date. Call back to CS to ask why, all they can tell you is a lot of factors are considered but nothing specific. We have never used the insurance. We are both in very good health but they are trying to Rip me off. I would cancel in a heartbeat but their 47% payoff is ridiculous especially when compared to my Wife's 89%. Now I realize they have to keep some, I mean they've got to pay those big Bonuses to the CEO and others but hey how about 70/30 split. I would be thrilled to drop it at 70%

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2024

This company is just the worst of the worst. My mom left her old job and unfortunately they used this company to hold retirement funds. For the past year and a half I have been trying to get the funds transferred to another retirement account. The account is currently sitting in a money market fund and they have been charging fees upwards of $45 each year for nothing. It's literally had a balance of $575 and now it's down to $486.00. By the time we get this money back it wil probably be $100. It's just ridiculous that after sending in all the documents we still cannot get my mom the money she is owed. Just the worst company ever. Too bad we can't rate 0 star.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2024

First my mother died 4 years ago. I called John Hancock and they denied having a policy for her. Now in July of 2023, 4 years later, I get a letter of condolences telling me she has a policy there? Trying to get my mother's life insurance from them is too painful, even with the help of 2 different employees helping me on the phone twice for hours, my forms were still incorrect, they just keep sending me the same blank form to complete, no check. I have now sent them a letter to just let me know when it goes to the state for unclaimed funds. I think it will be easier to get.! Remove your funds now!!!

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Jan. 11, 2024

I submitted claim in October. I had an ankle replacement and have not received a penny although I have been paying premiums every year for over 20 years.

They keep finding ways to delay payment. First it's 15 day review then 30 day review. They keep changing the terms of the policy on the phone calls for hours with their employees. This is a very bogus company. They have many. There are several class action lawsuits going on against John Hancock long term insurance which I can see on social media. Hours on the phone with different departments and only trial disappointments and exhaustion and stress in return

John Hancock author review by Ashley Eneriz

Hancock was founded in 1862, but it was acquired by Canadian insurer Manulife Financial in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.

• Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.

• Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.

• Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.

• Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

by Ashley Eneriz Deputy Editor, Personal Finance

Ashley is an expert finance writer who worked for 12 years with top names in the industry, including Discover, The Hartford, ScotiaBank, Chime and Synchrony. She joined ConsumerAffairs in 2022, and specializes in coverage of banking, credit repair and debt management. Her writing has also been featured in Forbes, Time, Yahoo, MSN and Reader’s Digest. In her personal life, she enjoys homeschooling her three daughters and writing children's books.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information