John Hancock Life Insurance
1.62/5
Based on 77 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a life insurance company?

John Hancock Life Insurance

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

79 John Hancock Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I applied for a 401K loan with two weeks to go before my closing date for a house, and now I risk missing my closing date because of John Hancock’s antiquated technology and process. My mortgage broker told me it should only take a few days to take out a 401K loan, but I guess he is used to clients dealing with better run 401K administrators. Also, when I first looked into taking a 401K loan, I saw that you could apply electronically, but when I did apply I found out it would take 5-7 days to receive the full paper loan application by mail and another 5-7 days for John Hancock to process the request after I submit the application.

I called customer service and asked if they could email the loan application or if I could pay for them to FedEx application overnight and the guy said no. How is this so for a giant company like John Hancock? Everything else in the home buying process has been done electronically even though I’ve been dealing with a small, local mortgage company and real estate agent. And why does it take 5-7 days to process the loan? This is my money. There is no credit review process. All they should be reviewing is that I am using the loan proceeds to buy real estate.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I received in June a proposal to withdraw/rollover my Annuity. I was quoted in the papers a lump sum withdrawal. After given the runaround for over 3 months about additional paperwork and multiple follow up phone calls on my part they finally told me I would receive a check that was 30% less than all the paperwork had quoted me. When asked they stated it was a miscalculation on their part. So how do I know the new quote isn’t a miscalculation also? If I ever get my money I will never invest with them again... my advice... run as fast as you can from them. Anyone who is in the business of finances and can’t even quote you a right number on your investments is a pretty shady company.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Filled out all forms from John Hancock including a voided check for the electronic funds transfer. Phoned to find out date of transfer. Was informed that the check was in the mail. They didn't approve that the account had the word "remodeling" even though it was in the name of our trust. I was not notified that JH would not perform the electronic transfer.

Our mailboxes are the rural type in groups of eight (8) at the curb. This is a city of 500,000 and, yes, some subdivisions have rural type mailboxes. Also learned that this account had diminished by 5% because the stock market had declined. The funds transfer was approved two (2) days prior the decline. I can only hope that the check is not lifted from my rural mailbox. My State Farm agent came to my house with the paperwork filled out, I read and signed it. Had the funds within a week. I got the feeling that JH prefers to hang onto the client's money. The thirty (30) pages of paperwork was astounding!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I am the sole beneficiary of a John Hancock Retirees Basic Life Insurance Plan. I have called several different phone numbers and filled out several online forms and have gotten nowhere. All I have received is "someone will get back to you"! When you lose a loved one, why make a difficult time even more difficult? Maybe you will give up and JH doesn't have to pay the claim? Wrong, do not plan to quit! In the meantime I'll post negative reviews everywhere I can!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My parents got a life insurance policy several years ago, and wanted to make some changes to it. What a headache! Unlike State Farm (the other company with which we have life insurance experience), the help that the reps offer is very general (they send confusing papers to complete, as opposed to the agent completing papers for you). In addition, I have to keep calling to get anything accomplished. I have called 3 times to verify the changes made, and am now on hold, when I should have received a call last week as promised. Much better to get insurance from a company with an experienced agent to help you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

To this day John Hancock has not provided us the complete address of the "Plan Trustee". I have no idea what a Plan Trustee would do with a check made out to Fidelity. I requested money from other 401 accounts and the money went directly to the Rollover account.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

For the last 2 months, I have been getting the runaround in regards to a group annuity I am to receive from a deceased relative. I have called several times, with today telling them that I better get my information today via email as I originally requested and neither of us are getting off this phone until it happens. They NEVER kept any records from our phone calls, so they had not have my email address or my mailing address. They were mailing items to another mailing address AFTER I specifically told them that is NOT the mailing address. When I finally received my paperwork, I was supposed to get an email with a password and pin number. Guess what? I NEVER got that either.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I received a death benefit letter from John Hancock informing me that I was a beneficiary of my relative's fixed annuity. I followed the instructions on making a claim and waited patiently for a response to the claim. I called multiple times to get an update on the claim and was given the runaround, being transferred to different people, being put on hold for periods of time, and being promised several times that I would receive something in the mail within 7-10 business days (which never came).

After almost 2 months I finally received a definite answer when I called and was told that the company made a mistake and that I wasn't the beneficiary, someone else was. They didn't have the integrity to contact me to inform me of the mistake. How does a life insurance company make those kinds of mistakes? I have experienced unprofessional customer service, poor knowledge of the company from John Hancock reps, and I would recommend that people stay far away from utilizing the company's service.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My employer rolled my 401k automatically over to John Hancock. When I left the company they automatically rolled it into a IRA. No issues here. What happened though was every time I called I had to navigate through numerous cyclical menus and after 20 to 30 minutes on hold every time was usually they were unable to find my account. So over 2 years my $400 turned into about $260 after sitting in cash with astronomical fees and a $30 charge to move my money out of there and into a different company. Disgusting.

Original review: May 25, 2018

401K or maybe not OK. Retired 4/13/2018 - filled out paperwork for lump sum dispersal of my retirement plan and submitted to HR on 4/10. Supposed to be deposited into my savings within 3 to 5 days. It's over a month later and no deposit made. Called yesterday and they decided to send a check to my former employer. How is that legal when I am primary on my account and my daughter is secondary?

Thank God they didn't decide to send a check to my daughter or I'd never see it! Now I get to wait for my former employer to get the money, wait for the check to clear, then wait for them to send me MY OWN MONEY. I always wondered WHY they sent my statements to my employer instead of to me directly. Most times they'd sit on his desk for six months before being forwarded to the employees. Why is it my employer's business to know my finances? I'll be so happy when this is all over but my nerves are shot right now! That's my retirement you just handed to someone else! Not in the least happy.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I've been working with a gentlemen for over a month trying to get John Hancock to change his address, beneficiary and his daughters' address. Her first payment was due May 5, 2018 and we started calling in April, he submitted the forms three or four times, we've called a dozen times and received the runaround. His daughter turned 18 in the midst of our calls and they wouldn't talk to us because she's now an adult. One of the supervisors gave us his direct number; however, since our initial call with him he has never answered his phone and never returned our voice messages.

This poor girl is using the money to further her education and has a contract stating she will receive her payment on May 5, 2018. As of today, John Hancock would not confirm when it is being mailed. This is the worst customer service I've encountered in a long time and I would tell anyone thinking of doing business with them to run away. They'll take your money, promise to pay and then leave you high and dry.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My stepfather passed almost a year ago & I have been working with my 97year old mother to collect on his policy. I have submitted all forms requested at least 3 times & finally hired an attorney last November, 3017. He has also submitted the same paperwork at least 3 times & we are still getting nowhere. This is the worst customer service I have ever encountered & it's a shame that my mother cannot get the monies that he intended for her to have. We are still trying to get this settled & it seems like they are just waiting for her to die so they can drag this out forever. I have power of attorney & also an executor of the estate. Everything else has been taken care of as far as the estate goes with only this police to be distributed!

Original review: March 19, 2018

John Hancock has the most incompetent management. Four years ago I began managing my elderly father's affairs. I notified them as the attorney-in-fact and requested his paperwork be mailed to my address in California and not in Massachusetts where he resides. They screwed up the 1099 forms by paying state taxes to California for three years. Even after numerous notices. Do not do any business with John Hancock ever.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Screwed up my father's paperwork several times. Could not get their act together. When it was finally straightened out I get a call a week later saying it was all incorrect. Was a very simple transaction, my mother passed. He was taking her name offhand putting me on as beneficiary to split everything accordingly. I cannot tell you how many times they could not get this correct and this is while my father with living. The sad part is my father worked for this company 35 years so sad to think they royally screwed it up. It wasn’t a difficult job. That was something that was an everyday thing for a large insurance company. Nobody knew anything. I can’t tell you how many times and how many phone calls and how many office visit we made while he was alive.

My father passed away last year only to find out my mother was still the beneficiary which meant this account had to go to probate and that was the reason why we spent all that time enough to get this straightened out. To cover themselves they combined two of his accounts together made it one account or claim they only needed one beneficiary paper when we went to settle They claim there was only one account that had a beneficiary and they split the two accounts apart The way they were before they were put together. Obviously you would only have one beneficiary if you are putting everything in one account so to separate them back the way they were prior to this it’s basically an illegal transaction.

We were in the office and we filled out By three different people and also signed by all medallion signature stamp also a gold medallion. What does this sound like to you. Now I have to file for probate because of this one account and have filed a complaint with the insurance commissioner's office. Bottom line nobody wants to be accountable or do the legwork much rather make people miserable that invested with them then to make it right. Keep in mind my father worked for them 35 years. I have all my proof. No one cares.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

John Hancock offer mediocre customer service and even worse help if they know you are rolling over your money out. The forms to roll over my 401k are confusing, There is no need for that... the choices are to: 1. roll over my 401k IRA or Roth IRA with John Hancock into another IRA or ROTH IRA account or 2. roll over into another Co. 401k (aka retirement account) from another employer. Two easy choices, it should be straight thru roll over, not complications.

The terminology in their crappy forms seems purposely confusing, the only choice to roll over a Roth is to a retirement account, namely the term for another 401k sponsor plan, when I ask about a form with a choice for IRA/Roth IRA they said, "It’s the same thing", well is not. They require that my other IRA company sign an acknowledgment that they accept Roth IRA rollover. I ask, "Is this a gov mandate?" they said, "It's requirement." They're pull out of the air to make things complicated unnecessarily...

Also when I was still employed with e Co. sponsoring the plan, they would answer the phone after a relatively long wait of 10-15 minutes, not they take 38 to 55 minutes because I select "I am not with employer sponsoring the retirement account and I want to roll over my funds". Other institutions let you do this electronically. They seems stuck in the previous century a not at all interested in customer service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

John Hancock let a felon write life insurance, and designated him as a "special agent." He was convicted with insurance fraud. How does an insurance company allow a felon to write for them? Are we assuming they were deficient in their background check? If this is the case, how can anyone trust John Hancock's to be a reliable source for good and honest representation of their products? This lack of recognizing ethical and moral character has given John Hancock a way to abuse the vulnerability of seniors. This is the very lack of action by John Hancock that lead to my parents getting scammed and in essence, robbed of about $4,000,000.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have had John Hancock for years and whenever I need something answered they are very helpful and I have never had any trouble with them. When you ask them to send you something in the mail they send it right out.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have been trying for the past several years to get money out of an old IRA that was started over 40 years ago. I've spoken with numerous "representatives" and finally got some paperwork to fill out. I filled it out, got it notarized and sent it last July. Since then I've had no written correspondence from John Hancock. I have called a number of times and was it would be expedited. Called back today, after about an hour of getting shuffled around I spoke with "Jay" who finally told me they would send a form to schedule payments. I pointed out that I had requested a lump sum payment. After another wait Jay came back and told me I had marked the wrong box, the one for annuitization, I point out that what he said was total BS since I had copied that form before I sent it to them in July and "Lump Sum Payment" was clearly marked. I am again on hold...

Original review: July 24, 2017

After changing positions I requested a transfer of my 401K balance to my new employer's plan. John Hancock 401K employee related that to complete the transfer of my 401K plan I had to first transfer my balance into a IRA account with John Hancock and then, and only then could I transfer the funds into a competing 401K (Wells Fargo). In so many words, I told them that that was the most foolish requirement I had ever heard and they responded that it was an absolute requirement. They told me it would be no problem and that the transfer would take effect in 10 business days. I followed the agent's instructions and completed the transfer on the phone.

I have asked JH on 4 separate calls to explain this requirement to me and the agent Naomi ** (1-800-333-0963 ext **) stated on 7/11/17 at approximately 10:30 am that she would look into it and call me back before 2:30 pm that day. NO CALLBACK was received. I called back on 7/12/17 @4:11 pm and left a message, she called back on 7/14/17 and left a message that she had retrieved the "tapes" and would call me back on Monday, 7/17/17. NO CALLBACK was received. I left another message on 7/19/17 at 4:17 pm and requested a callback. NO CALLBACK was received. I have just called again and left another message today 7/24/17 at 5:10 pm... THEY WILL NOT WEAR ME OUT! I am sure the practice of not responding discourages a lot of people from getting what they want or deserve... And that practice probably works most of the time! NO ONE SHOULD TOLERATE THIS NONSENSE!

Original review: July 23, 2017

After years of payment into John Hancock long term care and after many months of delay I hoped that my mom would finally receive funds needed for her expensive care. After many phone calls and many excuses they promised to send funds, after all we had passed all of the hurdles, provided all of her receipts for care. My mom never received a dollar while she was alive, only a few checks arrived after she passed away. Shame on these uncaring and heartless people... save your money in a private account not JH so that when you need funds YOU will control them not scammers like John Hancock.

Original review: July 20, 2017

My late mother-in-law took out two life insurance policies on my late husband in 1949. I didn't know these policies existed until two letters addressed to my late husband arrived at our house. These policies had my mother-in-law as the beneficiary. Which made sense since my late husband was 7 years old at the time. I contacted John Hancock and told them both my mother-in-law had passed (1988) and my husband died in 2013. I asked them what papers did I need to file to claim these two policies? My late husband and I were married for 37 years before his passing. After filing countless paperwork. Sending them proof of my mother-in-law's death. Sending them my late husband's death certificate TWICE. Having our son signing affidavits that he was the executor for my late husband's will and confirming the will was probated in 2013.

I jumped through every hoop they asked me to do for over a month and FINALLY they determined I could claim these policies. But it took me DEMANDING to speak to a supervisor to get to this determination, way after a month. Because every time I called about these policies, their customer service reps. would talk to me like nothing was already filed! And every time I talked to someone their story would change. In reality, I was lied to countless times! Not only was this experience was time consuming, but cost me money to get their needed paperwork.

My complaint is, John Hancock will not let me have these policies to see their ACTUAL value. Nor will they TELL me their value. I still don't know how much their worth really is. I told them right out, because I have been lied to many times, I just can't accept "their word." I am getting what these policies, after all these years, are truly worth!!! The reason for why I can't have or see these policies, according to John Hancock? Because I am not the policy owner or the original beneficiary. Really??? Of course I am not the owner. He passed away in 2013. And the original beneficiary died in 1988!! That's why I filed all those papers!

As polite as their customer service reps. were that does not compensate my frustration. Nor how many times I was misled and lied to. Especially since these two policies (according to John Hancock) is only worth less than 4,000 dollars. Thank goodness I do not have my life insurance through John Hancock, because my policies are worth quite a bit more and I can only imagine what they would put my son through to claim them, after my passing.

Original review: April 24, 2017

Read the small print on your long term contracts. We have been attempting to get claims paid for my mother's care under her plan... but now after 4 months of

paperwork, arguing, calling, faxing... they tell us that the elimination days are the actual days of professional care and not days at our home rehabbing under our care. ONLY THE DAYS that she had Occupational or Physical Therapy, Nursing or Home Aid care COUNTED as elimination days. So our 60 day timeline of care only counted as 25 days per John Hancock. They failed to tell us about the FINE PRINT (notice the use of caps on FINE PRINT) about the days they consider elimination days. BEWARE of John Hancock and make sure your agent... yeah right... the agent knows the scoop on the fine print of these policies. Small wonder insurance companies are making small fortunes these days on the backs of their small print contracts.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I have not had anything to claim yet to rate their claim response, but the customer service on their accounting is absolutely the lowest. I have been paying our premium for both of my wife and my accounts via separated my bank auto payment setup for over five years. In middle of 2016, they changed the address without notifying us. The last three payments got returned due to wrong address. No communication were conducted and both of our accounts then got into inactive status.

During our call, we got the new address and made all three returned payments to the new address, but got returned again due to bad address again. We, over the phone, were told the provided address was wrong again and they provided with third address for the payment. The new 2017 payments along with past payments were then sent accordingly - surprisingly again, only the 2017 new payments were credited to our accounts while the 2016 payments did not. They were kept there for over two months (neither credit to us nor returned).

Was on the phone at least eight times with different agents. In few months' time during this mess, spent total of four and half hours trying to get this straight without luck. During the phone conversations, I have found many mistakes were made from their end along the line and never get corrected after pointed out by my comments made in numerous times of my previous phone calls. I had to write up a long letter - with all proofs of the constant payment effort made along with status of each attempt (return due to bad address). The long certified letter sent included total of nine pages. Besides stating all the facts, I specifically asked for the reason which actually caused the multiple mistakes made there a) without proper internal communication/correction and b) what would be done to prevent the same from happening to others clients in future.

After over four months of fighting, I finally was informed on 03/07/2017 in a brief letter (few lines) that both of our account get reinstated (as of March 2017) but ABSOLUTELY without any explanation as to what went wrong then and no apology whatsoever. This tells me that nothing was seriously reviewed/addressed over this case. At very least, they don't care much about customers feeling and completely ignored their request made.

I am extremely disappointed of my experience with JHLI - LTC unit account team along with their support. I feel strongly that this would be a consistent pattern in terms of their typical customer service and I would not be the only one getting this type of treatment. I cannot really imagine what I can do should the similar service is given while filing claim in future when I need their help the most. No one, obviously, would have the luxury to spend that amount of time during that kind of condition. I really hope they will take this seriously and have the process/procedure improved, to start with - having better communication with their client in responding.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

My mother passed away in 2013 and had a policy with JH. Myself and my siblings were beneficiaries on the policy and as the executor of the estate I directed each of my siblings to complete the necessary forms so that equal distribution could be made. On July 15, 2016 (3+ years later) I received a letter at my home addressed to one of them that I thankfully opened a few weeks later. Thinking it was just another solicitation or junk mail since I received other such items since mom's death, I was glad that I opened it instead of throwing it away... It was a notice indicating that JH was making a final attempt to reach a sibling and if there was no response by 8-3-16 that the funds will be reported to the state.

I immediately called John Hancock and they told me to fill out a form and email it to them which I did and received an auto-reply acknowledging their receipt. I followed up with a phone call and was told that it would take a few weeks to process. I called after a few weeks and was told that they were still working on it. On November 14, I received a letter addressed to me that the funds were turned over to the state and that I had to call the Office of the General Treasurer who told me that the funds would not be put into the system until January.

Call after call after call to John Hancock looking for an explanation was both exhausting and emotionally draining. After 3 months of calling and leaving messages that were never returned I finally reached someone today that told me that because it was my estranged sibling's name on the funds that they couldn't do anything for me! They also informed me that they sent letters to my other siblings (3 to each of them) since 2013 asking them to have the sibling that was named complete the paperwork contact them. What I can't forgive JH for is putting me through 3 months of agony and not giving me an explanation as to why they would have sent letters to the others siblings but not me who they had the documentation verifying that I was the Executor of the Will.

The representatives that I dealt with were not only unprofessional but insensitive and condescending with their responses to the situation offering no guidance whatsoever to resolve. When I told them I would be filing a complaint, they said....."go right ahead". Not happy with John Hancock and it would be over my mother's dead body that I would ever recommend them. They could have told me this on day 1 not 3 months later. I am so frustrated right now I feel sick.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2016

Very long hold times and unresponsive w/requests. It's like once you're signed up w/JH long-term products, you are treated like you're stuck w/them so they don't need to impress further. I have some JH VUL products and it has been very unpleasant dealing w/them. It give me no peace of mind.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

This company once the leader in Whole Life Insurance has put my family through several days of hours long telephone conversations only to be told that the life insurance policy my deceased sister paid for years did not exist. It turned out that they sold this part of the business to a company in Canada without notifying their policyholders. Shame on them. I rate them below "0" on a scale of 1-10. The aggravation and distress they caused my brother-in-law should be punishable with a jail sentence.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

My 85 year old mother has been paying on this crappy long term insurance policy for decades and now that she finally needs it these bottom feeders make it impossible to get reimbursed. Every time I call it's the same bs about how they didn't receive the correct information and it needs to be faxed over again. Even the asst. living / home health care companies are on to their scam. As soon as I told them my mom had John Hancock they said be prepared to fax everything several time b/c they will tell you that they didn't receive it to keep from paying out... and it's true! They should be ashamed for taking advantage of the elderly!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

On 6/1/16, I separated from my employer, and within 2 weeks, requested a partial distribution of funds, by calling the number indicated on the website. I wanted to know exactly how to get this done. I was advised to send the forms the person would send me, and write a note on the forms as to what I wanted to do. He advised he would call back to follow up. After a week of no forms and no callback, I called again, and got someone else who was more helpful, and though his information was MORE accurate, it was not complete. I did as he indicated, and fortunately, after another week, someone called me from JH to explain what I needed to do.

I finally got the correct info. I did as advised, and got a partial distribution a month after the initial call. We just had an emergency situation occur, so I sent a form via overnight mail, which was received on 8/5, and signed for. On Tuesday, I called to check status of the request, and also sent an email. I was told it's in process via the call, and they could/would not provide further info. The email response advised they could not provide info, and to call. A vicious circle if I might say so!! I checked daily to see if the funds were at least processed, and nothing.

Today, 8/12, I emailed and called again. Same story--except the person I spoke with said she would advise the other dept it was important to get this done quickly, do to the need--and asked for the number to follow up (by someone?). Gave her the number, received no callback, and the site undergoes maintenance today until 8A Mon, 8/15, when I will have to start over again and call to find out when I can get my money. I am extremely frustrated, and they have no method to actually complain, talk to a person who can do something, and it is extremely frustrating!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

For more than 2 months, representatives with John Hancock misidentified my sister and I as beneficiaries of our deceased father's life insurance policy. We gathered all of the requested paperwork and sent them all they asked us to send. After 2 months, we were told that the policy had been amended more than 25 years ago and we were not the beneficiaries. They had overlooked the addendum submitted to them in 1988! Appalling incompetence!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2016

The customer service of John Hancock leaves a lot to be desired so much so that I closed an annuity, that generated a monthly income stream, which I opened on 11/27/2007 and terminated on 08/25/2015, as I could no longer deal with their inefficiency. Depending on whom you are connected to at customer service in the US or the Philippines, where they outsource, the answers are never the same from rep to rep and/or answers are wrong and/or incomplete or they put you on hold for "a second" which translates into 5-10-15 minutes or more. I am an American expat that happens to live in Asia where 1-800 numbers do not equate to toll-free which means I am paying for calls to solve issues or ask simple questions. JH unlike the 8 other annuity companies that I deal with "are not permitted" to make overseas calls.

The most recent (as the history is far too long to get into) example of this lack of quality customer service had to do with a simple request for a 1099R so that I could finish my 2015 US taxes way ahead of the April 15th deadline. This year my request is the exception not the rule since I will be out of Asia for 3-4 months in a location where there is erratic or no e-mail or phone service. Therefore, I needed to receive my 1099R asap to work with my accountant before my departure. For the record JH is the only company out of 8 that I deal with that does not post online 1099R but mails (and not the fastest way possible) them or e-mails them if a client requests them to do so.

I did contact JH customer service through JH mail and was advised end Jan would be the best. That is where the good news ends. Since the clock was ticking to complete my 2015 taxes I called customer service and was connected to Rossmiel ** in the Philippines. She was sweet and somewhat helpful after I explained my situation and kind enough to e-mail a 1099R but the one that was sent belonged to another JH client. When I asked her to e-mail my 1099R she did and after I reviewed the calculations compared to my last quarterly statement, it was wrong. I needed to spend close to 45 minutes more long distance going over what the correct numbers should be which she agreed were indeed accurate. I also faxed this saga to Vivia ** Customer Relations and to date did not receive any response.

She then advised it would take 7-10 business days for a new corrected 1099R form to be processed and mailed which was totally unacceptable for reasons stated above. After additional phone time I was given a confirmation number # ** and told that she will send a corrected 1099R within 24-48 hours to my e-mail address. That time has passed and a corrected 1099R has not been e-mailed to me as promised. At 5 am today I needed to wake up and then once again chase at my expense the status of this simple request. I was connected to customer service in the US and spoke to Michael (no last name given) having to repeat the entire saga as above.

Michael gave me a boilerplate answer that he could not help me since 1099R could not be issued until Jan 27th US date which is already past on my side of the world. So the question I asked is "then if this is correct information how was Rossmiel ** able to issue a 1099R that was not mine and an incorrect 1099R that was mine? Michael could offer no explanation. He then asked me to fax what I was sent by Rossmiel ** to fax number 617-663-3160 which I did and I was advised that he would e-mail my hopefully correct 1099R his time 8 am his date Jan 27th. I am holding my breath. Bottom line I would never consider doing any future business or recommending JH to anyone, especially if they move as I did or live overseas as I do unless they enjoy endless frustration and large phone bills.

John Hancock expert review by Neal Frankle

Hancock is another old-time life insurance provider. It was founded in 1862 but it was acquired by Canadian insurer, Manulife Financial, in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.

• Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.

• Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.

• Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.

• Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information