2. Finance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About John Hancock Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

John Hancock Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I've had life insurance with John Hancock for almost 20 years. I have questions about extending my life insurance when it expires next year. I get through to customer service but they must refer me to a sales rep. The sales rep NEVER call me back. After 20 years of making payments to John Hancock you would think the customer service would be better. It sucks. I recommend getting life insurance through another company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I had never dealt with a company that lies and mismanaged money like this before. First of all they will never tell you the truth. Do not even expect them to be honest. They do not even give good lies.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I’m supposed to trust this company with my life savings? When I tried to call customer service, I had to enter information for several minutes each time, and then the system hangs up on me... every time. I wasted several hours. So, I opened an account with a reputable company, and I’m going to roll everything over. That is, if I can get my money. Their website does not work either. Click on this… Something went wrong… Click on that, it’s not available… What a joke! My kids could build a website that works better than that!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

All I can say about this company is that they don't know their right hand from their left. Out of 5 different people I dealt with only ONE seemed to kinda know what they were talking about. A supervisor, I won't mention HER name, was completely RUDE, how she became a supervisor is beyond me. I would not trust them with $.03 let alone some of the amounts they are "managing." If you are a company looking to utilize these guys I would think twice. They will cause nothing but headaches for your employees.

On top of misinformation as well as one person telling you something completely different than the other with a little omission of other pertinent details one should know sprinkled in, it makes for a very frustrating relationship. I won't go into the details of the week long HEADACHE I experienced with them in regards to MY money because I would have to write a novel but I will tell you this....IT WASN'T FUN!! BEWARE and look elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Not very responsive on customer service, have had to make repeated requests over the years to have corrections made. I have a Whole life policy that is paid up and don't need any additional coverage.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Please do not purchase anything from them! My grandmother who raised 5 orphans had this policy for more than 30 years. She had just passed away Nov 22 2020. Today is the 31st of Dec. And still no payment. They are still currently giving my other sibling issues on payments as well. It took 14 days for a claims rep to call one of us. Now they are closed for the holiday and have to wait. I wonder if they ever screwed over a life insurer before. I am going to the Bank Of Finacial Insurance and beg that this company be Audited.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

They don't do anything for you. I transferred my policy from a group plan to personal and the only time you hear from them is when they have to send their compliance documents. To me, as a person who is getting older, your life insurance broker, should be providing additional guidance. Make sure that everything is "tidy" in case of or when a person dies.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Changed denial reason (7 months later) after I proved they were incorrect with supporting documentation. For the last 7 months, John Hancock who sends their claims to Seven Corners has denied me because they believed I claimed items that they thought had been returned to Amazon. After 3 reviews where they didn’t look at my supporting documents, 2 independent investigations through G4S and Optima, 3 way phone calls with Amazon, and hours adding additional information on each and every item they believed was returned (40 items-took 10 hours to prepare). Then sending an additional 72 pages of proof on top of the original 90 they’ve had on day one..... They just changed their denial reason. Simple as that!

I showed through 4 different ways that nothing was returned and then after 7 months, 20+ emails and 20+ Phone calls they just decide to change the denial reason to another so I’m back to square one! The most egregious part is that they reverted to the original denial letter that claimed I had other providers that I did not tell them about. This was despite the fact that I had ALREADY proven THAT was false. Which was also the reason they had changed THAT denial reason to claiming items were returned.

I provided emails, investigation contacts, phone calls...you name it. I easily showed that from day one I had multiple policies through my emails and initial claim (I had 14 checked bags). On the initial claim report I listed that I had at least another policy (there is only room for 1). So, I then sent them each policy name, policy number, and their contact number. I gave them G4S's investigators number who was doing an investigation with AMEX.. So again, they knew I had other carriers. This was given BEFORE they made a decision the FIRST time. There is absolutely no reason, no sane person, could possibly misinterpret me as trying to conceal I had other policies! None. It's absolutely maddening how they can this to people ethically. Not to mention, it's completely illegal. Horrible, unethical company.. STAY FAR AWAY!

** Edit: Have filed BBB complaint. Lori the manger I spoke to who requested 40 items they believed were returned will not respond via her email. Can someone explain how after 3 incorrect reviews about Amazon items being returned, the claim denial can be changed to an earlier denial reason that was also already proven untrue. Waiting for next manager John to talk to, whom is days late to respond. No one here, messenger, or email will respond. I’m stuck endlessly calling the phone reps (which I will continue to do relentlessly) until I speak to a manager.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This company needs to be investigated and audited. My grandparents had a joint retirement account. When my grandfather passed away in 2012 my grandmother called to report his death and update beneficiaries. She was instructed to complete a TOD form which she did and sent back. A few weeks later she was sent another form because the old form was not according to their policies and needed to be notarized. She completed this form and had a notary signature and mailed back in their postage paid envelope.

A month later she was told because my grandfather is deceased they needed her to complete two more forms to make her the only account holder in a new account. She did this as well. This was a very frustrating process and they had multiple accounts with other banks/institutions and this was by far the most ridiculous process, but we thought all was good and resolved. Fast forward to 2019 when my grandmother passed away. We file a death claim and we are told they are sorry but they have NO beneficiaries listed for this account!!! Keep in mind this was the only reason my grandmother called in the first place. Their answer is because the account was a joint account and only my grandmother signed the beneficiary forms they were invalid and she never sent in a new one under the new account. They never sent her another one or told her another needed to be sent in.

We now had to probate her estate costing thousands of dollars - all accounts from other institutions 1 life insurance policy (met life) 4 bank accounts, and 1 other retirement account (T. Rowe Price) were all disbursed within weeks of notification. Now we have a court order of who to distribute the money to and guess what. They won’t distribute it - we have to create another “new” account titled “the estate” of my grandmother name in order for them to follow the court order and distribute funds. I am beyond disgusted!!!!

Original review: July 15, 2020

I cashed out my 401K. According to what I have been told (by customer service reps). They tell me 7-10 business days to mail. Today is day 9 and no check. Coming from Buffalo NY should take 3 - 5 days.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

John Hancock author review by Neal Frankle

Hancock was founded in 1862, but it was acquired by Canadian insurer Manulife Financial in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.

• Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.

• Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.

• Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.

• Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information