Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
John Hancock Life Insurance
1.72/5

John Hancock Life Insurance

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

92 John Hancock Life Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2019

For the last seven years my father has lived with us, I faithfully paid his insurance premiums. When he passed away, I could not find a person to talk to and was sent to several different people until I finally landed on the right one. He said nothing politely about being sorry for my dad‘s death but was laughing and acting silly on the phone. That was upsetting but he promised that he would get in touch with the right person in the company and that they would send me paperwork to be filled out to apply for his life insurance. I am the only beneficiary so it should be very straightforward.

A month and two voicemails to his office later I have not heard anything from anyone. I did, however, receive a bill for the next installment on his life insurance. It seems as though a month is enough time to put into the computer that he is deceased and will no longer be paying premiums. A month is also enough time for them to send me paperwork to fill out. I am very unhappy with this company. They are making a very difficult situation even harder and more unpleasant. I plan to contact the attorney general.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Trying to get this company to pay off on a life insurance policy is an effort in futility. Don't bother filing a claim, just call your lawyer. We needed the money to pay for my mother's long term care, she has Alzheimer's disease and is in assisted living, however this company couldn't care less. They continue to drag their feet and now when they've run out of excuses, the claim is "in process". The other life insurance company my father had paid the claim in three business days! We're going on a month with John Hancock. There are far better insurance companies out there, pick one of those.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Please people don’t waste your time with these people. They are CROOKS. I usually don’t write bad reviews but this company is awful. They cancelled my husband policy for no reason and then said we cancelled it. Bunch of bs. Save your time and money because this company is a JOKE... It’s sad people are like this!!! Shut this company DOWN!!! If I don’t get my money I will see you in court!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

If you were told upon applying for life insurance that your premiums would be waived if you ever became disabled - DO NOT BELIEVE it! We have paid in (on time) monthly for 40 years. My husband became disabled in May 2018. In January 2019 I happened to remember this clause (promise) about the waiver. I contacted them to say my husband had been approved on Short Term Disability in May 2018 and then approved for Long Term Disability in November 2018. They denied the claim.

Then in February 2019 I contacted them again with proof that the Federal Government had now approved his total disability. Both times I have included detailed documents from his surgeon with copies of the approvals from the various insurances. Today I get another denial letter. By the way, they only begin the waiver once THEY approve, no back dates, which seems like it could take months if not years! Think twice before believing anything they tell you!!!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

This company is a joke! I have a home care company and have a client that has John Hancock Long Term Care. He has been approved for $105.00 a day. I have nearly $6,000 in unpaid bills. Every time I call, they give me a different Fax Number to send it to, a different address and a different department. DO NOT GET JOHN HANCOCK Insurance for anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: March 5, 2019

I am the sole beneficiary of a life policy and John Hancock is refusing to pay. The reason, there was a divorce involved. In our divorce decree my husband and I kept ownership of our life policies so we could have the sole discretion to keep the beneficiary as is or change the beneficiary at any time in the future. It would be our choice. He never remarried and we remained friends and elected not to change the beneficiary. He sadly passed away of a very difficult illness and is missed by many friends and loved ones. I turned the claim in and jumped through all of the hoops and requirements they requested - completed forms, divorce decree, death certificate, etc., at which time they said they would issue a check.

They confirmed there was not any items missing and I met all of their requirements, but stated since there was a divorce they would not pay the beneficiary. How can they take a choice away from who we choose to leave our life insurance to weather a divorcee, friend, relative, charity, etc. I am continuing to receive the "run-around" and will not give me the proof of their words. I am continuing to fight this and will turn it into the State Insurance Association. I find it very "distasteful", to say the least, how this insurance company takes care of business. To now read all of the negative reviews about John Hancock and find that I am one of many - not a fun club to be a part of.

Original review: March 3, 2019

My mother passed away. After over 35 mins. on hold, the rep said she would send the claim forms to the address on record. Two weeks later, I'm still waiting. Why would any business think it's acceptable to put any client on hold for that long? For the love of God, you're making millions of dollars, hire some more people!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

John Hancock 401k released my employer based funds back to my employer! The NASTY reps got my employer involved and released my tapes to them so the company and John Hancock reversed my funds paid out of my payroll check and my plan. Is this legal according to the SEC?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This company is disgraceful. My mother is needing her cash value from a paid up life insurance policy; BUT, they are refusing to accept her Power of Attorney/Attorney in Fact, prepared by a law firm. So, they are refusing to turn over HER FUNDS to pay for her care in a nursing home. Even after they know she is incapacitated, I have the letter they sent me advising me to go get her to sign a surrender form in front of a notary!!! They want me to commit fraud, so then they could claim her signature is not valid because she was forced while incapacitated. WHAT A SHAMEFUL COMPANY THAT HAS SULLIED THE GOOD NAME OF JOHN HANCOCK.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I guess the insurance policy does what it is supposed to; expensive, but one knows about that when buying a VUL. And the company's financial strength is OK. But the website is 20th century, and the back office worse. I have online accounts with Fidelity, Vanguard, Morgan Stanley, Voya, Chase, Citibank, and multiple other financial and insurance providers. I can say without reservation that the John Hancock website is the absolute worst. Slow, buggy, does not let you do simple things like transfer between accounts or update your password. And when you call customer service to do what you cannot do on the website, their back office systems bog down completely. You may end up sending faxes to prove they get the message and to insist they implement. Look for alternatives.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I cashed out of a universal insurance policy that was overpriced. This is an investment product and should have produced a nice payout. JH said they would overnight a check after they refused to direct payment. They gave me a figure, took a week after many phone calls to get the check and they took out a monthly payment then sent me a letter telling me I owe them 1100 dollars!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

JH has made losing both of my parents an unspeakable nightmare! After losing my Dad, my Mom and I were told by JH his whole life policy was no good. We paid all funeral and final expenses out of pocket. After seeking legal advice and contacting JH again, they rescinded and told me the policy actually was good, then proceeded to put us through over four years of jumping through hoops. Now I've lost my Mom and had to pay all of her funeral costs and JH is still playing that game, figuring I'll give up. They sent a check for $1,400.00 when the policy should pay over $15,000.00. A pittance to them...but all the money in the world to me, I'm now broke.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The most horrible experience. I purchased a money market fund from John Hancock since market was volatile to preserve cash. When my account was closed I was charged a fee of about 4000 (over 2 % of the fund). Fee was never disclosed. I filed a complaint with the labor department. Stay away from John Hancock. They are just trying to milk fees from clients without disclosing them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I applied for a 401K loan with two weeks to go before my closing date for a house, and now I risk missing my closing date because of John Hancock’s antiquated technology and process. My mortgage broker told me it should only take a few days to take out a 401K loan, but I guess he is used to clients dealing with better run 401K administrators. Also, when I first looked into taking a 401K loan, I saw that you could apply electronically, but when I did apply I found out it would take 5-7 days to receive the full paper loan application by mail and another 5-7 days for John Hancock to process the request after I submit the application.

I called customer service and asked if they could email the loan application or if I could pay for them to FedEx application overnight and the guy said no. How is this so for a giant company like John Hancock? Everything else in the home buying process has been done electronically even though I’ve been dealing with a small, local mortgage company and real estate agent. And why does it take 5-7 days to process the loan? This is my money. There is no credit review process. All they should be reviewing is that I am using the loan proceeds to buy real estate.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I received in June a proposal to withdraw/rollover my Annuity. I was quoted in the papers a lump sum withdrawal. After given the runaround for over 3 months about additional paperwork and multiple follow up phone calls on my part they finally told me I would receive a check that was 30% less than all the paperwork had quoted me. When asked they stated it was a miscalculation on their part. So how do I know the new quote isn’t a miscalculation also? If I ever get my money I will never invest with them again... my advice... run as fast as you can from them. Anyone who is in the business of finances and can’t even quote you a right number on your investments is a pretty shady company.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Filled out all forms from John Hancock including a voided check for the electronic funds transfer. Phoned to find out date of transfer. Was informed that the check was in the mail. They didn't approve that the account had the word "remodeling" even though it was in the name of our trust. I was not notified that JH would not perform the electronic transfer.

Our mailboxes are the rural type in groups of eight (8) at the curb. This is a city of 500,000 and, yes, some subdivisions have rural type mailboxes. Also learned that this account had diminished by 5% because the stock market had declined. The funds transfer was approved two (2) days prior the decline. I can only hope that the check is not lifted from my rural mailbox. My State Farm agent came to my house with the paperwork filled out, I read and signed it. Had the funds within a week. I got the feeling that JH prefers to hang onto the client's money. The thirty (30) pages of paperwork was astounding!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I am the sole beneficiary of a John Hancock Retirees Basic Life Insurance Plan. I have called several different phone numbers and filled out several online forms and have gotten nowhere. All I have received is "someone will get back to you"! When you lose a loved one, why make a difficult time even more difficult? Maybe you will give up and JH doesn't have to pay the claim? Wrong, do not plan to quit! In the meantime I'll post negative reviews everywhere I can!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My parents got a life insurance policy several years ago, and wanted to make some changes to it. What a headache! Unlike State Farm (the other company with which we have life insurance experience), the help that the reps offer is very general (they send confusing papers to complete, as opposed to the agent completing papers for you). In addition, I have to keep calling to get anything accomplished. I have called 3 times to verify the changes made, and am now on hold, when I should have received a call last week as promised. Much better to get insurance from a company with an experienced agent to help you!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

To this day John Hancock has not provided us the complete address of the "Plan Trustee". I have no idea what a Plan Trustee would do with a check made out to Fidelity. I requested money from other 401 accounts and the money went directly to the Rollover account.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

For the last 2 months, I have been getting the runaround in regards to a group annuity I am to receive from a deceased relative. I have called several times, with today telling them that I better get my information today via email as I originally requested and neither of us are getting off this phone until it happens. They NEVER kept any records from our phone calls, so they had not have my email address or my mailing address. They were mailing items to another mailing address AFTER I specifically told them that is NOT the mailing address. When I finally received my paperwork, I was supposed to get an email with a password and pin number. Guess what? I NEVER got that either.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I received a death benefit letter from John Hancock informing me that I was a beneficiary of my relative's fixed annuity. I followed the instructions on making a claim and waited patiently for a response to the claim. I called multiple times to get an update on the claim and was given the runaround, being transferred to different people, being put on hold for periods of time, and being promised several times that I would receive something in the mail within 7-10 business days (which never came).

After almost 2 months I finally received a definite answer when I called and was told that the company made a mistake and that I wasn't the beneficiary, someone else was. They didn't have the integrity to contact me to inform me of the mistake. How does a life insurance company make those kinds of mistakes? I have experienced unprofessional customer service, poor knowledge of the company from John Hancock reps, and I would recommend that people stay far away from utilizing the company's service.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My employer rolled my 401k automatically over to John Hancock. When I left the company they automatically rolled it into a IRA. No issues here. What happened though was every time I called I had to navigate through numerous cyclical menus and after 20 to 30 minutes on hold every time was usually they were unable to find my account. So over 2 years my $400 turned into about $260 after sitting in cash with astronomical fees and a $30 charge to move my money out of there and into a different company. Disgusting.

Original review: May 25, 2018

401K or maybe not OK. Retired 4/13/2018 - filled out paperwork for lump sum dispersal of my retirement plan and submitted to HR on 4/10. Supposed to be deposited into my savings within 3 to 5 days. It's over a month later and no deposit made. Called yesterday and they decided to send a check to my former employer. How is that legal when I am primary on my account and my daughter is secondary?

Thank God they didn't decide to send a check to my daughter or I'd never see it! Now I get to wait for my former employer to get the money, wait for the check to clear, then wait for them to send me MY OWN MONEY. I always wondered WHY they sent my statements to my employer instead of to me directly. Most times they'd sit on his desk for six months before being forwarded to the employees. Why is it my employer's business to know my finances? I'll be so happy when this is all over but my nerves are shot right now! That's my retirement you just handed to someone else! Not in the least happy.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I've been working with a gentlemen for over a month trying to get John Hancock to change his address, beneficiary and his daughters' address. Her first payment was due May 5, 2018 and we started calling in April, he submitted the forms three or four times, we've called a dozen times and received the runaround. His daughter turned 18 in the midst of our calls and they wouldn't talk to us because she's now an adult. One of the supervisors gave us his direct number; however, since our initial call with him he has never answered his phone and never returned our voice messages.

This poor girl is using the money to further her education and has a contract stating she will receive her payment on May 5, 2018. As of today, John Hancock would not confirm when it is being mailed. This is the worst customer service I've encountered in a long time and I would tell anyone thinking of doing business with them to run away. They'll take your money, promise to pay and then leave you high and dry.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My stepfather passed almost a year ago & I have been working with my 97year old mother to collect on his policy. I have submitted all forms requested at least 3 times & finally hired an attorney last November, 3017. He has also submitted the same paperwork at least 3 times & we are still getting nowhere. This is the worst customer service I have ever encountered & it's a shame that my mother cannot get the monies that he intended for her to have. We are still trying to get this settled & it seems like they are just waiting for her to die so they can drag this out forever. I have power of attorney & also an executor of the estate. Everything else has been taken care of as far as the estate goes with only this police to be distributed!

Original review: March 19, 2018

John Hancock has the most incompetent management. Four years ago I began managing my elderly father's affairs. I notified them as the attorney-in-fact and requested his paperwork be mailed to my address in California and not in Massachusetts where he resides. They screwed up the 1099 forms by paying state taxes to California for three years. Even after numerous notices. Do not do any business with John Hancock ever.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Screwed up my father's paperwork several times. Could not get their act together. When it was finally straightened out I get a call a week later saying it was all incorrect. Was a very simple transaction, my mother passed. He was taking her name offhand putting me on as beneficiary to split everything accordingly. I cannot tell you how many times they could not get this correct and this is while my father with living. The sad part is my father worked for this company 35 years so sad to think they royally screwed it up. It wasn’t a difficult job. That was something that was an everyday thing for a large insurance company. Nobody knew anything. I can’t tell you how many times and how many phone calls and how many office visit we made while he was alive.

My father passed away last year only to find out my mother was still the beneficiary which meant this account had to go to probate and that was the reason why we spent all that time enough to get this straightened out. To cover themselves they combined two of his accounts together made it one account or claim they only needed one beneficiary paper when we went to settle They claim there was only one account that had a beneficiary and they split the two accounts apart The way they were before they were put together. Obviously you would only have one beneficiary if you are putting everything in one account so to separate them back the way they were prior to this it’s basically an illegal transaction.

We were in the office and we filled out By three different people and also signed by all medallion signature stamp also a gold medallion. What does this sound like to you. Now I have to file for probate because of this one account and have filed a complaint with the insurance commissioner's office. Bottom line nobody wants to be accountable or do the legwork much rather make people miserable that invested with them then to make it right. Keep in mind my father worked for them 35 years. I have all my proof. No one cares.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

John Hancock offer mediocre customer service and even worse help if they know you are rolling over your money out. The forms to roll over my 401k are confusing, There is no need for that... the choices are to: 1. roll over my 401k IRA or Roth IRA with John Hancock into another IRA or ROTH IRA account or 2. roll over into another Co. 401k (aka retirement account) from another employer. Two easy choices, it should be straight thru roll over, not complications.

The terminology in their crappy forms seems purposely confusing, the only choice to roll over a Roth is to a retirement account, namely the term for another 401k sponsor plan, when I ask about a form with a choice for IRA/Roth IRA they said, "It’s the same thing", well is not. They require that my other IRA company sign an acknowledgment that they accept Roth IRA rollover. I ask, "Is this a gov mandate?" they said, "It's requirement." They're pull out of the air to make things complicated unnecessarily...

Also when I was still employed with e Co. sponsoring the plan, they would answer the phone after a relatively long wait of 10-15 minutes, not they take 38 to 55 minutes because I select "I am not with employer sponsoring the retirement account and I want to roll over my funds". Other institutions let you do this electronically. They seems stuck in the previous century a not at all interested in customer service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

John Hancock let a felon write life insurance, and designated him as a "special agent." He was convicted with insurance fraud. How does an insurance company allow a felon to write for them? Are we assuming they were deficient in their background check? If this is the case, how can anyone trust John Hancock's to be a reliable source for good and honest representation of their products? This lack of recognizing ethical and moral character has given John Hancock a way to abuse the vulnerability of seniors. This is the very lack of action by John Hancock that lead to my parents getting scammed and in essence, robbed of about $4,000,000.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have had John Hancock for years and whenever I need something answered they are very helpful and I have never had any trouble with them. When you ask them to send you something in the mail they send it right out.

John Hancock expert review by Neal Frankle

Hancock is another old-time life insurance provider. It was founded in 1862 but it was acquired by Canadian insurer, Manulife Financial, in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.

• Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.

• Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.

• Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.

• Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information