Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
  2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

John Hancock Life Insurance

John Hancock Life Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.67/5

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

John Hancock Life Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Worst service, products, company!!!! This is the worst company ever!!! Worst ever!!! Rude!!! Nasty,!!! Slow!!! I hate I ever joined!!! I will never let anyone I know join this company!!!! There is no urgency in nothing!!! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I opened a 401k thru my employer in Feb 2019. I had around $815 in the account at end of Sept when I requested the distribution. This employer did not match even a penny. When my bank received my distribution ck this week it was for $692. I called John Hancock to find out why they took anything from my balance. I explained the rep I dealt with said nothing at all about $85 to be taken by a 3rd party and $25 taken by John Hancock. The mgr said she listened to the call and agreed he did not. She said my employer is told that there is a fee upon rollover. That doesn't really help me now does it since I'm not my employer?

I work hard for what little money I have and I despise businesses that take my money without disclosing fee amounts. It's a scam as far as I see it. So bottom line is I lost that money and still have to pay taxes on the $692 whenever I need it in the future. Sad! I will NEVER invest thru John Hancock or thru another employer. I will remove any life insurance policies as well that are held by John Hancock never to be a future customer of theirs ever again. You have lost my trust in your name.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My husband passed away in June and I am listed as beneficiary on the 401k. They will not give me any information after several phone calls and said someone from the transition team would call me. A woman called me and told me the transition team would not be calling me and would not give me any info. Not only that she was extremely abrasive and aggressive on the phone. I emailed the company from their website asking for an address where I could mail a request for information and no response. I am having to hire an attorney now to handle this. So uncaring and unwilling to help or to pay benefits to widows and widowers. I have never written a negative review for a company in my life until now. They should be ashamed. I am looking to see what agency I need to report their actions.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Worst company ever! My ex husband has John Hancock as his retirement company, 401k was part of the divorce. So we get all the paperwork done and submitted correctly and now they won’t let me log in because someone put my birthday in wrong. And I’ve checked this was NOT on my end so why should I have to provide you with a birth certificate? Why should I spend extra money and time running around because you can’t do your job? Never will I EVER recommend them!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Upon leaving my company, I completed the necessary paperwork to transfer my funds to a new account. John Hancock's records indicated that the check was written on September 4th and sent to the address for the new account. After waiting over two weeks, I contacted John Hancock asking for additional information because the company which had the new account had not received the check. At that point, I was told that the check was not sent to the address they showed on file, but that it had been sent to the third party administrator. I have yet to see the check so I have lost interest on my money and John Hancock falsified their records regarding where the check was sent. They refused to give me tracking information. My next step is to report them since they do not seem to understand that they are part of a heavily regulated industry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

My mother died over a decade ago. John Hancock just sent a letter regarding her death recently. We didn't know this account with them existed and found it both hurtful and odd to revisit her accounts and death a decade later. I filled out all the paperwork they requested and have been waiting and waiting and waiting. I keep getting told they are "processing" things and need a couple more days. It's been weeks now. There's nothing complicated about the circumstances. I just want this matter closed, but they have been horribly lacking in any compassion or understanding.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I wish they had negative stars. My father-in-law passed away in May 2019. We filed claims for his life insurance with MetLife and John Hancock. MetLife paid the claim in one week. It took John Hancock three weeks to send us a letter saying additional information was needed. We immediately sent it in. Three weeks later there is still no check. We have wasted hours calling getting numerous call centers around the world to representatives who could barely speak English. None could tell use when the check was being sent. It finally took screaming at the representative to get us to a US representative. She was able to tell us the check is being cut (we’ll see if it’s true!). Save yourself many headaches and go to MetLife.

Original review: May 31, 2019

For the last seven years my father has lived with us, I faithfully paid his insurance premiums. When he passed away, I could not find a person to talk to and was sent to several different people until I finally landed on the right one. He said nothing politely about being sorry for my dad‘s death but was laughing and acting silly on the phone. That was upsetting but he promised that he would get in touch with the right person in the company and that they would send me paperwork to be filled out to apply for his life insurance. I am the only beneficiary so it should be very straightforward.

A month and two voicemails to his office later I have not heard anything from anyone. I did, however, receive a bill for the next installment on his life insurance. It seems as though a month is enough time to put into the computer that he is deceased and will no longer be paying premiums. A month is also enough time for them to send me paperwork to fill out. I am very unhappy with this company. They are making a very difficult situation even harder and more unpleasant. I plan to contact the attorney general.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Trying to get this company to pay off on a life insurance policy is an effort in futility. Don't bother filing a claim, just call your lawyer. We needed the money to pay for my mother's long term care, she has Alzheimer's disease and is in assisted living, however this company couldn't care less. They continue to drag their feet and now when they've run out of excuses, the claim is "in process". The other life insurance company my father had paid the claim in three business days! We're going on a month with John Hancock. There are far better insurance companies out there, pick one of those.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Please people don’t waste your time with these people. They are CROOKS. I usually don’t write bad reviews but this company is awful. They cancelled my husband policy for no reason and then said we cancelled it. Bunch of bs. Save your time and money because this company is a JOKE... It’s sad people are like this!!! Shut this company DOWN!!! If I don’t get my money I will see you in court!!!

John Hancock expert review by Neal Frankle

Hancock was founded in 1862, but it was acquired by Canadian insurer Manulife Financial in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.

• Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.

• Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.

• Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.

• Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information