2. Finance

John Hancock Life Insurance

John Hancock Life Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5

John Hancock Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: July 15, 2020

I cashed out my 401K. According to what I have been told (by customer service reps). They tell me 7-10 business days to mail. Today is day 9 and no check. Coming from Buffalo NY should take 3 - 5 days.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Incompetent Company and Employees. My dad made on-time payments to John Hancock Life Insurance Company for YEARS. Upon his passing in May 2020, we contacted John Hancock Life Insurance by phone. They emailed us a claim form and told us what necessary documents they needed to process the claim. Told us it would take 10 business days to process the claim then funds would be distributed. Here it is now July 6th and we haven’t received ANYTHING BUT THE RUN-AROUND! We have called and called and called. Each time we call they say the same thing... They don’t see any updates and will call us tomorrow with an update; which they never do. THIS IS RIDICULOUS, John Hancock’s employees are incompetent and the company is a JOKE! If I ran my business this way I wouldn’t have a business. I want this resolved immediately, if not sooner! This is unacceptable and inexcusable.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Our company switched to John Hancock many years ago. 4 1/2 years ago I took a 401K loan. When I received the amortization schedule from them it was obviously wrong and would not pay off the loan in the 5 year payback schedule. I contacted JH and they told me I was wrong. Well 4 years later they say, "Oh, the payback schedule is wrong and I now need to double up on the payments or make payments on their website in order to not be penalized." I made one payment on their web site and am unable to make any more due to their website "glitch" as they call it. This has been going on for 3 months. So John Hancock is an investment company that is unable to calculate a simple amortization schedule or maintain a functioning website.

Original review: May 13, 2020

My employer switched to John Hancock about two years ago and it is the worst brokerage I have ever dealt with. Awful phone support, unintuitive browser, an app that barely functions, and somehow, it breaks, or fails to sync with, every budgeting tool out there. Once you do log-in, it's very hard to find information about your investments - it's as if they don't want to give you visibility of your own money. I actually like my employer but the fact that they chose John Hancock for retirement benefits is a huge negative. Avoid this brokerage - if you are looking for a plan provider for a company, do the employees a solid and choose literally any other bank.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Long story short because John Hancock has no idea of what they are doing I am getting taxed twice on a ROTH IRA. I have been attempting to make contact with them but thus far that has been a waste of time.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Worst service, products, company!!!! This is the worst company ever!!! Worst ever!!! Rude!!! Nasty,!!! Slow!!! I hate I ever joined!!! I will never let anyone I know join this company!!!! There is no urgency in nothing!!! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I opened a 401k thru my employer in Feb 2019. I had around $815 in the account at end of Sept when I requested the distribution. This employer did not match even a penny. When my bank received my distribution ck this week it was for $692. I called John Hancock to find out why they took anything from my balance. I explained the rep I dealt with said nothing at all about $85 to be taken by a 3rd party and $25 taken by John Hancock. The mgr said she listened to the call and agreed he did not. She said my employer is told that there is a fee upon rollover. That doesn't really help me now does it since I'm not my employer?

I work hard for what little money I have and I despise businesses that take my money without disclosing fee amounts. It's a scam as far as I see it. So bottom line is I lost that money and still have to pay taxes on the $692 whenever I need it in the future. Sad! I will NEVER invest thru John Hancock or thru another employer. I will remove any life insurance policies as well that are held by John Hancock never to be a future customer of theirs ever again. You have lost my trust in your name.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My husband passed away in June and I am listed as beneficiary on the 401k. They will not give me any information after several phone calls and said someone from the transition team would call me. A woman called me and told me the transition team would not be calling me and would not give me any info. Not only that she was extremely abrasive and aggressive on the phone. I emailed the company from their website asking for an address where I could mail a request for information and no response. I am having to hire an attorney now to handle this. So uncaring and unwilling to help or to pay benefits to widows and widowers. I have never written a negative review for a company in my life until now. They should be ashamed. I am looking to see what agency I need to report their actions.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Worst company ever! My ex husband has John Hancock as his retirement company, 401k was part of the divorce. So we get all the paperwork done and submitted correctly and now they won’t let me log in because someone put my birthday in wrong. And I’ve checked this was NOT on my end so why should I have to provide you with a birth certificate? Why should I spend extra money and time running around because you can’t do your job? Never will I EVER recommend them!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Upon leaving my company, I completed the necessary paperwork to transfer my funds to a new account. John Hancock's records indicated that the check was written on September 4th and sent to the address for the new account. After waiting over two weeks, I contacted John Hancock asking for additional information because the company which had the new account had not received the check. At that point, I was told that the check was not sent to the address they showed on file, but that it had been sent to the third party administrator. I have yet to see the check so I have lost interest on my money and John Hancock falsified their records regarding where the check was sent. They refused to give me tracking information. My next step is to report them since they do not seem to understand that they are part of a heavily regulated industry.

John Hancock author review by Neal Frankle

Hancock was founded in 1862, but it was acquired by Canadian insurer Manulife Financial in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.

• Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.

• Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.

• Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.

• Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information