John Hancock Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About John Hancock Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

John Hancock Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I have a disability policy with John Hancock for 40 years> always paid premium then became disabled. Filed claim with John Hancock and never heard back. Telephone calls, e mails then got State Dept of Insurance involved. Finally Hancock told the Dept of Insurance they basically dropped the ball. Still nothing. All papers sent certified. Emails, etc. Still nothing. Then they increase my premium 300%.. They wanted me to miss my premium so I they increased it 300% when I should not even be paying a premium. Hired an attorney and still no response from Hancock. Then I get a call and letter from UNUM, 3rd party company who works with Hancock and stated to me that I need to send all papers again for a new claim.

This is gong on 7 months and sent many times so did it again and still nothing. BUT I AM STUCK paying Hancock $1000 each month while not working so they do not say I did not pay my premium and lapse my coverage. Basically Blackmail with Hancock. Still Nothing so will now go to court. OF course I am out thousands of dollars in legal fees. DO NOT GO NEAR JOHN HANCOCK. THEY WILL NOT HONOR THE POLICY.

Original review: July 12, 2022

My mother, who passed away on April 24, 2022, had an annuity with John Hancock Life Insurance in the name of her trust. I first made contact with the JHLI on May 5, 2022 to start the claim process and it is now July 12, 2022 and I am still trying to get the claim processed. Every time I call I get a different person who tells me something different in terms of paperwork and timelines. I have not spoken to one person who seems to be competent and who knows what is happening with the estate's claim for the annuity. Buyer Beware!!!

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2022

This company has the WORST customer service. No two people at this company knows the same information. The reps can not be called back so no accountability can be enforced. I was on a 90 minute conference with one of their reps and a rep from my bank and at the end of the call it was decided that I needed to open a beneficiary IRA account at JH so the money could be transfered to my beneficiary IRA at my bank. Three hours after that call ended I got an email from JH that they no longer offer this financial product! What? How did the rep not know that?

17 phone calls between the two firms and today I find out that what was suppose to be a electronic deposit was sent by paper check. Unreal. I wonder who ties their shoes in the morning???? In any event stay away from John Hancock as a whole. The woman at the brokerage firm where my deceased uncle had this account told me to get my money tranfered out because they had very poor customer service and that JH was difficult to deal with. Pathetic.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Across three phone calls, John Hancock lied to me; breached privacy by telling me unassociated policy information; and has moved the goalposts on what information they can provide over a verified-identify phone call. A family member who had a life insurance policy with John Hancock passed away. I called to confirm the next steps to file a claim. I was told very little as John Hancock could not verify the deceased’s details; would not tell me anything about the policy I was attached to; and effectively refused to acknowledge the policy. I was told to submit a death certificate and (effectively) a blind-faith claim for an undisclosable amount. This process involved me providing personally-identifying information for myself and my family member without any insight into what I was doing by John Hancock. I was never informed if they received or acknowledged my claim.

A few weeks after submitting the claim, I called John Hancock. I was told that they received my claim and that I would get a check for an unknown amount within a few days. I was also told about another policy that I had no connection to. This policy (for another family member but unrelated to my claim) should have been kept private and I had no connection to this policy. Apparently, because the policy holders have similar names, John Hancock’s systems made a mistake which was why every agent failed to acknowledge the provided details.

More than three weeks later, I still had not received the check. I called John Hancock again, was again told that they could not find the policy and couldn't confirm the deceased details. After explaining how John Hancock's systems fails to account for similar sounding names, the agent was able to find the correct policy. I was then told that John Hancock had “just” finalized my claim that day (3 weeks after being told a check was already sent) and that I should receive the check within three *more* weeks. Overall, a failure of a company and terrible support staff.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

The agent wasn’t very truthful. I told her that I’m A disabled veteran, using my VA loan. Which doesn’t require mortgage insurance. I explained this to the agent, but she acted as if she didn’t hear me. After further research, the agent shouldn’t have even come to my house. Once I cancelled the account, the phone operator told me that I would get my full refund. When I got the refund, it wasn’t even half of what I paid. This company is a scam, they scam you into getting the insurance, then scam you when you cancel the un-needed insurance.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I have two policies with Hancock. I've called for 3 years in a row regarding a problem with premium payments. Still have not received assistance! I have spoken to my agent; I've called John Hancock directly and back and forth and the situation is still not resolved. Spoke to my agent on 11/11/21 and he was supposed to call me back the following week. Did I hear from him....NO! Called him again today 3 hours ago and no reply yet. Called corporate and was back and forth with two reps and still not resolved. Tried to login online and for some reason it says it can't find me even though I just registered online last month! DON'T USE JOHN HANCOCK!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I've had life insurance with John Hancock for almost 20 years. I have questions about extending my life insurance when it expires next year. I get through to customer service but they must refer me to a sales rep. The sales rep NEVER call me back. After 20 years of making payments to John Hancock you would think the customer service would be better. It sucks. I recommend getting life insurance through another company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I had never dealt with a company that lies and mismanaged money like this before. First of all they will never tell you the truth. Do not even expect them to be honest. They do not even give good lies.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I’m supposed to trust this company with my life savings? When I tried to call customer service, I had to enter information for several minutes each time, and then the system hangs up on me... every time. I wasted several hours. So, I opened an account with a reputable company, and I’m going to roll everything over. That is, if I can get my money. Their website does not work either. Click on this… Something went wrong… Click on that, it’s not available… What a joke! My kids could build a website that works better than that!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

All I can say about this company is that they don't know their right hand from their left. Out of 5 different people I dealt with only ONE seemed to kinda know what they were talking about. A supervisor, I won't mention HER name, was completely RUDE, how she became a supervisor is beyond me. I would not trust them with $.03 let alone some of the amounts they are "managing." If you are a company looking to utilize these guys I would think twice. They will cause nothing but headaches for your employees.

On top of misinformation as well as one person telling you something completely different than the other with a little omission of other pertinent details one should know sprinkled in, it makes for a very frustrating relationship. I won't go into the details of the week long HEADACHE I experienced with them in regards to MY money because I would have to write a novel but I will tell you this....IT WASN'T FUN!! BEWARE and look elsewhere.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

John Hancock author review by Neal Frankle

Hancock was founded in 1862, but it was acquired by Canadian insurer Manulife Financial in 2004. The subsidiary is still headquartered in Boston.

• Product variety: Hancock offers a complete line of insurance products.

• Additional tools: Long-term care insurance, mutual funds and college savings plans are also offered by Hancock.

• Industry leader: John Hancock leads the industry in survivorship life sales.

• Products: Hancock agents will likely steer customers towards using Hancock products.

• Not for everyone: While competitive on many levels, Hancock will not always be the best fit for all consumers.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Advisor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information