John Hancock Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About John Hancock Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

John Hancock Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Please do not purchase anything from them! My grandmother who raised 5 orphans had this policy for more than 30 years. She had just passed away Nov 22 2020. Today is the 31st of Dec. And still no payment. They are still currently giving my other sibling issues on payments as well. It took 14 days for a claims rep to call one of us. Now they are closed for the holiday and have to wait. I wonder if they ever screwed over a life insurer before. I am going to the Bank Of Finacial Insurance and beg that this company be Audited.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

They don't do anything for you. I transferred my policy from a group plan to personal and the only time you hear from them is when they have to send their compliance documents. To me, as a person who is getting older, your life insurance broker, should be providing additional guidance. Make sure that everything is "tidy" in case of or when a person dies.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Changed denial reason (7 months later) after I proved they were incorrect with supporting documentation. For the last 7 months, John Hancock who sends their claims to Seven Corners has denied me because they believed I claimed items that they thought had been returned to Amazon. After 3 reviews where they didn’t look at my supporting documents, 2 independent investigations through G4S and Optima, 3 way phone calls with Amazon, and hours adding additional information on each and every item they believed was returned (40 items-took 10 hours to prepare). Then sending an additional 72 pages of proof on top of the original 90 they’ve had on day one..... They just changed their denial reason. Simple as that!

I showed through 4 different ways that nothing was returned and then after 7 months, 20+ emails and 20+ Phone calls they just decide to change the denial reason to another so I’m back to square one! The most egregious part is that they reverted to the original denial letter that claimed I had other providers that I did not tell them about. This was despite the fact that I had ALREADY proven THAT was false. Which was also the reason they had changed THAT denial reason to claiming items were returned.

I provided emails, investigation contacts, phone calls...you name it. I easily showed that from day one I had multiple policies through my emails and initial claim (I had 14 checked bags). On the initial claim report I listed that I had at least another policy (there is only room for 1). So, I then sent them each policy name, policy number, and their contact number. I gave them G4S's investigators number who was doing an investigation with AMEX.. So again, they knew I had other carriers. This was given BEFORE they made a decision the FIRST time. There is absolutely no reason, no sane person, could possibly misinterpret me as trying to conceal I had other policies! None. It's absolutely maddening how they can this to people ethically. Not to mention, it's completely illegal. Horrible, unethical company.. STAY FAR AWAY!

** Edit: Have filed BBB complaint. Lori the manger I spoke to who requested 40 items they believed were returned will not respond via her email. Can someone explain how after 3 incorrect reviews about Amazon items being returned, the claim denial can be changed to an earlier denial reason that was also already proven untrue. Waiting for next manager John to talk to, whom is days late to respond. No one here, messenger, or email will respond. I’m stuck endlessly calling the phone reps (which I will continue to do relentlessly) until I speak to a manager.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This company needs to be investigated and audited. My grandparents had a joint retirement account. When my grandfather passed away in 2012 my grandmother called to report his death and update beneficiaries. She was instructed to complete a TOD form which she did and sent back. A few weeks later she was sent another form because the old form was not according to their policies and needed to be notarized. She completed this form and had a notary signature and mailed back in their postage paid envelope.

A month later she was told because my grandfather is deceased they needed her to complete two more forms to make her the only account holder in a new account. She did this as well. This was a very frustrating process and they had multiple accounts with other banks/institutions and this was by far the most ridiculous process, but we thought all was good and resolved. Fast forward to 2019 when my grandmother passed away. We file a death claim and we are told they are sorry but they have NO beneficiaries listed for this account!!! Keep in mind this was the only reason my grandmother called in the first place. Their answer is because the account was a joint account and only my grandmother signed the beneficiary forms they were invalid and she never sent in a new one under the new account. They never sent her another one or told her another needed to be sent in.

We now had to probate her estate costing thousands of dollars - all accounts from other institutions 1 life insurance policy (met life) 4 bank accounts, and 1 other retirement account (T. Rowe Price) were all disbursed within weeks of notification. Now we have a court order of who to distribute the money to and guess what. They won’t distribute it - we have to create another “new” account titled “the estate” of my grandmother name in order for them to follow the court order and distribute funds. I am beyond disgusted!!!!

Original review: July 15, 2020

I cashed out my 401K. According to what I have been told (by customer service reps). They tell me 7-10 business days to mail. Today is day 9 and no check. Coming from Buffalo NY should take 3 - 5 days.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Incompetent Company and Employees. My dad made on-time payments to John Hancock Life Insurance Company for YEARS. Upon his passing in May 2020, we contacted John Hancock Life Insurance by phone. They emailed us a claim form and told us what necessary documents they needed to process the claim. Told us it would take 10 business days to process the claim then funds would be distributed. Here it is now July 6th and we haven’t received ANYTHING BUT THE RUN-AROUND! We have called and called and called. Each time we call they say the same thing... They don’t see any updates and will call us tomorrow with an update; which they never do. THIS IS RIDICULOUS, John Hancock’s employees are incompetent and the company is a JOKE! If I ran my business this way I wouldn’t have a business. I want this resolved immediately, if not sooner! This is unacceptable and inexcusable.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Our company switched to John Hancock many years ago. 4 1/2 years ago I took a 401K loan. When I received the amortization schedule from them it was obviously wrong and would not pay off the loan in the 5 year payback schedule. I contacted JH and they told me I was wrong. Well 4 years later they say, "Oh, the payback schedule is wrong and I now need to double up on the payments or make payments on their website in order to not be penalized." I made one payment on their web site and am unable to make any more due to their website "glitch" as they call it. This has been going on for 3 months. So John Hancock is an investment company that is unable to calculate a simple amortization schedule or maintain a functioning website.

Original review: May 13, 2020

My employer switched to John Hancock about two years ago and it is the worst brokerage I have ever dealt with. Awful phone support, unintuitive browser, an app that barely functions, and somehow, it breaks, or fails to sync with, every budgeting tool out there. Once you do log-in, it's very hard to find information about your investments - it's as if they don't want to give you visibility of your own money. I actually like my employer but the fact that they chose John Hancock for retirement benefits is a huge negative. Avoid this brokerage - if you are looking for a plan provider for a company, do the employees a solid and choose literally any other bank.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Long story short because John Hancock has no idea of what they are doing I am getting taxed twice on a ROTH IRA. I have been attempting to make contact with them but thus far that has been a waste of time.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Worst service, products, company!!!! This is the worst company ever!!! Worst ever!!! Rude!!! Nasty,!!! Slow!!! I hate I ever joined!!! I will never let anyone I know join this company!!!! There is no urgency in nothing!!! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I opened a 401k thru my employer in Feb 2019. I had around $815 in the account at end of Sept when I requested the distribution. This employer did not match even a penny. When my bank received my distribution ck this week it was for $692. I called John Hancock to find out why they took anything from my balance. I explained the rep I dealt with said nothing at all about $85 to be taken by a 3rd party and $25 taken by John Hancock. The mgr said she listened to the call and agreed he did not. She said my employer is told that there is a fee upon rollover. That doesn't really help me now does it since I'm not my employer?

I work hard for what little money I have and I despise businesses that take my money without disclosing fee amounts. It's a scam as far as I see it. So bottom line is I lost that money and still have to pay taxes on the $692 whenever I need it in the future. Sad! I will NEVER invest thru John Hancock or thru another employer. I will remove any life insurance policies as well that are held by John Hancock never to be a future customer of theirs ever again. You have lost my trust in your name.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My husband passed away in June and I am listed as beneficiary on the 401k. They will not give me any information after several phone calls and said someone from the transition team would call me. A woman called me and told me the transition team would not be calling me and would not give me any info. Not only that she was extremely abrasive and aggressive on the phone. I emailed the company from their website asking for an address where I could mail a request for information and no response. I am having to hire an attorney now to handle this. So uncaring and unwilling to help or to pay benefits to widows and widowers. I have never written a negative review for a company in my life until now. They should be ashamed. I am looking to see what agency I need to report their actions.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Worst company ever! My ex husband has John Hancock as his retirement company, 401k was part of the divorce. So we get all the paperwork done and submitted correctly and now they won’t let me log in because someone put my birthday in wrong. And I’ve checked this was NOT on my end so why should I have to provide you with a birth certificate? Why should I spend extra money and time running around because you can’t do your job? Never will I EVER recommend them!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Upon leaving my company, I completed the necessary paperwork to transfer my funds to a new account. John Hancock's records indicated that the check was written on September 4th and sent to the address for the new account. After waiting over two weeks, I contacted John Hancock asking for additional information because the company which had the new account had not received the check. At that point, I was told that the check was not sent to the address they showed on file, but that it had been sent to the third party administrator. I have yet to see the check so I have lost interest on my money and John Hancock falsified their records regarding where the check was sent. They refused to give me tracking information. My next step is to report them since they do not seem to understand that they are part of a heavily regulated industry.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

My mother died over a decade ago. John Hancock just sent a letter regarding her death recently. We didn't know this account with them existed and found it both hurtful and odd to revisit her accounts and death a decade later. I filled out all the paperwork they requested and have been waiting and waiting and waiting. I keep getting told they are "processing" things and need a couple more days. It's been weeks now. There's nothing complicated about the circumstances. I just want this matter closed, but they have been horribly lacking in any compassion or understanding.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I wish they had negative stars. My father-in-law passed away in May 2019. We filed claims for his life insurance with MetLife and John Hancock. MetLife paid the claim in one week. It took John Hancock three weeks to send us a letter saying additional information was needed. We immediately sent it in. Three weeks later there is still no check. We have wasted hours calling getting numerous call centers around the world to representatives who could barely speak English. None could tell use when the check was being sent. It finally took screaming at the representative to get us to a US representative. She was able to tell us the check is being cut (we’ll see if it’s true!). Save yourself many headaches and go to MetLife.

Original review: May 31, 2019

For the last seven years my father has lived with us, I faithfully paid his insurance premiums. When he passed away, I could not find a person to talk to and was sent to several different people until I finally landed on the right one. He said nothing politely about being sorry for my dad‘s death but was laughing and acting silly on the phone. That was upsetting but he promised that he would get in touch with the right person in the company and that they would send me paperwork to be filled out to apply for his life insurance. I am the only beneficiary so it should be very straightforward.

A month and two voicemails to his office later I have not heard anything from anyone. I did, however, receive a bill for the next installment on his life insurance. It seems as though a month is enough time to put into the computer that he is deceased and will no longer be paying premiums. A month is also enough time for them to send me paperwork to fill out. I am very unhappy with this company. They are making a very difficult situation even harder and more unpleasant. I plan to contact the attorney general.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Trying to get this company to pay off on a life insurance policy is an effort in futility. Don't bother filing a claim, just call your lawyer. We needed the money to pay for my mother's long term care, she has Alzheimer's disease and is in assisted living, however this company couldn't care less. They continue to drag their feet and now when they've run out of excuses, the claim is "in process". The other life insurance company my father had paid the claim in three business days! We're going on a month with John Hancock. There are far better insurance companies out there, pick one of those.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Please people don’t waste your time with these people. They are CROOKS. I usually don’t write bad reviews but this company is awful. They cancelled my husband policy for no reason and then said we cancelled it. Bunch of bs. Save your time and money because this company is a JOKE... It’s sad people are like this!!! Shut this company DOWN!!! If I don’t get my money I will see you in court!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

If you were told upon applying for life insurance that your premiums would be waived if you ever became disabled - DO NOT BELIEVE it! We have paid in (on time) monthly for 40 years. My husband became disabled in May 2018. In January 2019 I happened to remember this clause (promise) about the waiver. I contacted them to say my husband had been approved on Short Term Disability in May 2018 and then approved for Long Term Disability in November 2018. They denied the claim.

Then in February 2019 I contacted them again with proof that the Federal Government had now approved his total disability. Both times I have included detailed documents from his surgeon with copies of the approvals from the various insurances. Today I get another denial letter. By the way, they only begin the waiver once THEY approve, no back dates, which seems like it could take months if not years! Think twice before believing anything they tell you!!!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

This company is a joke! I have a home care company and have a client that has John Hancock Long Term Care. He has been approved for $105.00 a day. I have nearly $6,000 in unpaid bills. Every time I call, they give me a different Fax Number to send it to, a different address and a different department. DO NOT GET JOHN HANCOCK Insurance for anything.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I am the sole beneficiary of a life policy and John Hancock is refusing to pay. The reason, there was a divorce involved. In our divorce decree my husband and I kept ownership of our life policies so we could have the sole discretion to keep the beneficiary as is or change the beneficiary at any time in the future. It would be our choice. He never remarried and we remained friends and elected not to change the beneficiary. He sadly passed away of a very difficult illness and is missed by many friends and loved ones. I turned the claim in and jumped through all of the hoops and requirements they requested - completed forms, divorce decree, death certificate, etc., at which time they said they would issue a check.

They confirmed there was not any items missing and I met all of their requirements, but stated since there was a divorce they would not pay the beneficiary. How can they take a choice away from who we choose to leave our life insurance to weather a divorcee, friend, relative, charity, etc. I am continuing to receive the "run-around" and will not give me the proof of their words. I am continuing to fight this and will turn it into the State Insurance Association. I find it very "distasteful", to say the least, how this insurance company takes care of business. To now read all of the negative reviews about John Hancock and find that I am one of many - not a fun club to be a part of.

Original review: March 3, 2019

My mother passed away. After over 35 mins. on hold, the rep said she would send the claim forms to the address on record. Two weeks later, I'm still waiting. Why would any business think it's acceptable to put any client on hold for that long? For the love of God, you're making millions of dollars, hire some more people!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

John Hancock 401k released my employer based funds back to my employer! The NASTY reps got my employer involved and released my tapes to them so the company and John Hancock reversed my funds paid out of my payroll check and my plan. Is this legal according to the SEC?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This company is disgraceful. My mother is needing her cash value from a paid up life insurance policy; BUT, they are refusing to accept her Power of Attorney/Attorney in Fact, prepared by a law firm. So, they are refusing to turn over HER FUNDS to pay for her care in a nursing home. Even after they know she is incapacitated, I have the letter they sent me advising me to go get her to sign a surrender form in front of a notary!!! They want me to commit fraud, so then they could claim her signature is not valid because she was forced while incapacitated. WHAT A SHAMEFUL COMPANY THAT HAS SULLIED THE GOOD NAME OF JOHN HANCOCK.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I guess the insurance policy does what it is supposed to; expensive, but one knows about that when buying a VUL. And the company's financial strength is OK. But the website is 20th century, and the back office worse. I have online accounts with Fidelity, Vanguard, Morgan Stanley, Voya, Chase, Citibank, and multiple other financial and insurance providers. I can say without reservation that the John Hancock website is the absolute worst. Slow, buggy, does not let you do simple things like transfer between accounts or update your password. And when you call customer service to do what you cannot do on the website, their back office systems bog down completely. You may end up sending faxes to prove they get the message and to insist they implement. Look for alternatives.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I cashed out of a universal insurance policy that was overpriced. This is an investment product and should have produced a nice payout. JH said they would overnight a check after they refused to direct payment. They gave me a figure, took a week after many phone calls to get the check and they took out a monthly payment then sent me a letter telling me I owe them 1100 dollars!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

JH has made losing both of my parents an unspeakable nightmare! After losing my Dad, my Mom and I were told by JH his whole life policy was no good. We paid all funeral and final expenses out of pocket. After seeking legal advice and contacting JH again, they rescinded and told me the policy actually was good, then proceeded to put us through over four years of jumping through hoops. Now I've lost my Mom and had to pay all of her funeral costs and JH is still playing that game, figuring I'll give up. They sent a check for $1,400.00 when the policy should pay over $15,000.00. A pittance to them...but all the money in the world to me, I'm now broke.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The most horrible experience. I purchased a money market fund from John Hancock since market was volatile to preserve cash. When my account was closed I was charged a fee of about 4000 (over 2 % of the fund). Fee was never disclosed. I filed a complaint with the labor department. Stay away from John Hancock. They are just trying to milk fees from clients without disclosing them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I applied for a 401K loan with two weeks to go before my closing date for a house, and now I risk missing my closing date because of John Hancock’s antiquated technology and process. My mortgage broker told me it should only take a few days to take out a 401K loan, but I guess he is used to clients dealing with better run 401K administrators. Also, when I first looked into taking a 401K loan, I saw that you could apply electronically, but when I did apply I found out it would take 5-7 days to receive the full paper loan application by mail and another 5-7 days for John Hancock to process the request after I submit the application.

I called customer service and asked if they could email the loan application or if I could pay for them to FedEx application overnight and the guy said no. How is this so for a giant company like John Hancock? Everything else in the home buying process has been done electronically even though I’ve been dealing with a small, local mortgage company and real estate agent. And why does it take 5-7 days to process the loan? This is my money. There is no credit review process. All they should be reviewing is that I am using the loan proceeds to buy real estate.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information