2. Finance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About John Hancock Life Insurance

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

John Hancock Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Hancock?

Original review: July 29, 2019

I wish they had negative stars. My father-in-law passed away in May 2019. We filed claims for his life insurance with MetLife and John Hancock. MetLife paid the claim in one week. It took John Hancock three weeks to send us a letter saying additional information was needed. We immediately sent it in. Three weeks later there is still no check. We have wasted hours calling getting numerous call centers around the world to representatives who could barely speak English. None could tell use when the check was being sent. It finally took screaming at the representative to get us to a US representative. She was able to tell us the check is being cut (we’ll see if it’s true!). Save yourself many headaches and go to MetLife.

Original review: May 31, 2019

For the last seven years my father has lived with us, I faithfully paid his insurance premiums. When he passed away, I could not find a person to talk to and was sent to several different people until I finally landed on the right one. He said nothing politely about being sorry for my dad‘s death but was laughing and acting silly on the phone. That was upsetting but he promised that he would get in touch with the right person in the company and that they would send me paperwork to be filled out to apply for his life insurance. I am the only beneficiary so it should be very straightforward.

A month and two voicemails to his office later I have not heard anything from anyone. I did, however, receive a bill for the next installment on his life insurance. It seems as though a month is enough time to put into the computer that he is deceased and will no longer be paying premiums. A month is also enough time for them to send me paperwork to fill out. I am very unhappy with this company. They are making a very difficult situation even harder and more unpleasant. I plan to contact the attorney general.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Trying to get this company to pay off on a life insurance policy is an effort in futility. Don't bother filing a claim, just call your lawyer. We needed the money to pay for my mother's long term care, she has Alzheimer's disease and is in assisted living, however this company couldn't care less. They continue to drag their feet and now when they've run out of excuses, the claim is "in process". The other life insurance company my father had paid the claim in three business days! We're going on a month with John Hancock. There are far better insurance companies out there, pick one of those.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Please people don’t waste your time with these people. They are CROOKS. I usually don’t write bad reviews but this company is awful. They cancelled my husband policy for no reason and then said we cancelled it. Bunch of bs. Save your time and money because this company is a JOKE... It’s sad people are like this!!! Shut this company DOWN!!! If I don’t get my money I will see you in court!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

If you were told upon applying for life insurance that your premiums would be waived if you ever became disabled - DO NOT BELIEVE it! We have paid in (on time) monthly for 40 years. My husband became disabled in May 2018. In January 2019 I happened to remember this clause (promise) about the waiver. I contacted them to say my husband had been approved on Short Term Disability in May 2018 and then approved for Long Term Disability in November 2018. They denied the claim.

Then in February 2019 I contacted them again with proof that the Federal Government had now approved his total disability. Both times I have included detailed documents from his surgeon with copies of the approvals from the various insurances. Today I get another denial letter. By the way, they only begin the waiver once THEY approve, no back dates, which seems like it could take months if not years! Think twice before believing anything they tell you!!!!

Original review: March 8, 2019

This company is a joke! I have a home care company and have a client that has John Hancock Long Term Care. He has been approved for $105.00 a day. I have nearly $6,000 in unpaid bills. Every time I call, they give me a different Fax Number to send it to, a different address and a different department. DO NOT GET JOHN HANCOCK Insurance for anything.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I am the sole beneficiary of a life policy and John Hancock is refusing to pay. The reason, there was a divorce involved. In our divorce decree my husband and I kept ownership of our life policies so we could have the sole discretion to keep the beneficiary as is or change the beneficiary at any time in the future. It would be our choice. He never remarried and we remained friends and elected not to change the beneficiary. He sadly passed away of a very difficult illness and is missed by many friends and loved ones. I turned the claim in and jumped through all of the hoops and requirements they requested - completed forms, divorce decree, death certificate, etc., at which time they said they would issue a check.

They confirmed there was not any items missing and I met all of their requirements, but stated since there was a divorce they would not pay the beneficiary. How can they take a choice away from who we choose to leave our life insurance to weather a divorcee, friend, relative, charity, etc. I am continuing to receive the "run-around" and will not give me the proof of their words. I am continuing to fight this and will turn it into the State Insurance Association. I find it very "distasteful", to say the least, how this insurance company takes care of business. To now read all of the negative reviews about John Hancock and find that I am one of many - not a fun club to be a part of.

Original review: March 3, 2019

My mother passed away. After over 35 mins. on hold, the rep said she would send the claim forms to the address on record. Two weeks later, I'm still waiting. Why would any business think it's acceptable to put any client on hold for that long? For the love of God, you're making millions of dollars, hire some more people!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

John Hancock 401k released my employer based funds back to my employer! The NASTY reps got my employer involved and released my tapes to them so the company and John Hancock reversed my funds paid out of my payroll check and my plan. Is this legal according to the SEC?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This company is disgraceful. My mother is needing her cash value from a paid up life insurance policy; BUT, they are refusing to accept her Power of Attorney/Attorney in Fact, prepared by a law firm. So, they are refusing to turn over HER FUNDS to pay for her care in a nursing home. Even after they know she is incapacitated, I have the letter they sent me advising me to go get her to sign a surrender form in front of a notary!!! They want me to commit fraud, so then they could claim her signature is not valid because she was forced while incapacitated. WHAT A SHAMEFUL COMPANY THAT HAS SULLIED THE GOOD NAME OF JOHN HANCOCK.

John Hancock Life Insurance Company Information