3.9/5 (175 ratings)

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

About Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance

Humana provides three types of Medicare coverage options for Medicare users. Its Medigap plans are designed to help seniors afford the cost of healthcare by covering items not traditionally included in Medicare Parts A and B. Policies are available for plans A through N (except part D), and Humana also offers plans for vision, dental and prescription coverage.

Pros

• Quotes available online
  • Buy online or through an agent
  • Search coverage by ZIP code

Cons

• Limited prescription coverage
  • Plans not available everywhere

Bottom Line

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance provides coverage not offered by traditional medicare. For a monthly premium, seniors can receive help with deductibles, coinsurance, hospice care and more.

Top Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance?

Verified

Verified

Humana has always been fair in charges for any medical services needed. Never been denied coverage for any service. Claims are easy to understand and very detailed. Annual fees ar...

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

What is Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance?

Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance, also known as Medigap, helps pay for healthcare costs that aren’t covered under Medicare Parts A and B. To qualify, you must be at least 65 years of age, be enrolled in Medicare Part B and live in a state where Humana offers the coverage you want. You can easily find what coverage is available in your area by doing a ZIP code search on the Humana website.

Humana offers three types of plans for seniors in need of coverage.

• Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance: Medicare supplemental insurance exists to cover healthcare costs not paid for under Medicare Parts A and B. This can include items like deductibles, coinsurance and hospice care.
  • Medicare Advantage plans: Humana designed its Medicare Advantage plans as an alternative to government-offered Medicare. These plans cover what’s included in Medicare Parts A and B but also provide additional coverage, such as prescriptions, dental and vision.
  • Humana’s Medicare Part D prescription drug plans (PDP): PDPs help cover the cost of prescription drugs, which can be astronomical for seniors on Medicare and a financial strain for those on limited incomes, such as Social Security. A PDP plan can be purchased as a stand-alone plan to help supplement your Medicare or any supplemental plan without prescription drug coverage.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance plans

Humana’s supplemental insurance is available under Plans A, B, C, F, G, K, L and N. A high-deductible Plan F is also available. Supplemental insurance coverage may help lower the cost of coinsurance and deductibles and cover special care or tests, including blood draws and skilled nursing facilities. Some plans even provide emergency travel insurance.

Generally, Medicare Supplement Insurance does not cover items like vision, dental care, hearing care, private nursing, long-term care or prescription drugs. Your specific coverage varies by the plan you select. Explore the plans below to better understand what each offers.

Plan A
  • Medicare Part B deductible: Not covered
  • Medicare Part B excess charges: Not covered
  • Foreign travel emergency: Not covered
Plan N
  • Medicare Part A coinsurance and coverage for hospital benefits: $20 copay for office visits; $50 copay for ER
  • Foreign travel emergency: Included

How much does Humana Medicare Supplement cost?

The cost of Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance depends on which plan you select. Review the chart below for the average monthly cost by plan type in different parts of the country.

PlanTulsa, Oklahoma*Missoula, Montana*Columbus, Ohio*
Plan G$71.97$180.55$131.38
Plan K$100.57$80.28n/a
Plan Ln/a$113.31n/a
Plan N$157.06$130.57$110.72
*This quote is just an estimate. It's based on a 67-year-old female who doesn’t smoke.
**High-deductible plan F has a deductible of $2,300, compared to $185 for other plans. The trade-off is the much lower monthly premium cost.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance FAQ

Is there an open enrollment period for Humana Medicare insurance?
Yes. The open enrollment period for Medigap begins the first day of the month you turn 65. You must also be enrolled in Medicare Part B. You can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan or a Medicare drug plan (Part D) when you turn 65 or during your Initial Enrollment Period, Special Enrollment Period or regular Medicare enrollment periods for Medicare.
What states offer Humana insurance?
Find out if Humana is offered in your state by entering your ZIP code on the website to see plans in your area.
Does Humana offer supplemental dental insurance?
Yes, but not as a part of its Medicare Supplement Insurance. Supplemental dental insurance can be purchased separately.
Is Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance worth it?
If you’re not satisfied with Medicare Parts A and B, we recommend supplemental Medicare insurance to ensure you have the coverage you need. Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance provides extra protection and offers straightforward pricing and coverage information.

Is Humana a good Medicare supplement?

Humana is a health insurance giant offering a variety of Medicare insurance products and plans that can save seniors money. That said, Humana received mixed customer satisfaction ratings for various plans sold nationwide on the National Committee for Quality Assurance’s (NCQA) latest Health Plan Ratings report. A Humana plan may not be right for those looking for an exceptional experience with their Medicare Advantage or Supplement plans.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

My Mother required Home Health Care when I pulled her out of a Rehab Center with very bad bed sores. My PC Doc and I requested Home Health Care assistance from Humana (included with insurance) and was told that they had no one who could assist in our area.. What a JOKE!!! I was able to nurse Mother back to health and IMMEDIATELY cancelled my policy with Humana !! I probably should have sued them. AVOID HUMANA - THEY ARE PITIFUL!!

Original review: June 9, 2021

I filed (by snail mail) an out-of-network claim for emergency dental work as instructed by Humana Customer Service. Time passed. No contact, no check from Humana. A status check showed no information on the claim on file. A call back to the CS Representative suggested I send a fax, which I did in May. It's mid-June. Humana still has not registered my claim. Tried to follow up with so-called website "chat" but it doesn't function. This company is a sick joke. Dysfunctional Humana is excellent in giving a run-around. Guess their trash can must be full of discarded customer claims. Use these guys at your peril.

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2021

We are writing this Commendation Letter to appreciate Humana Sales Representative Jessica **, for her help to solve our family problems. For several years we had been choosing Humana Medicare Advantage Plan as Supplemental insurance. Everything was quite good until we run into the problems with some coverage. We contacted our Agent Jessica ** without any hope that she will be able or willing to help. However, to our great surprise, Jessica immediately responded to our call. She had determined that the the Company serviced us had made mistakes in their claims sent to Humana.

Jessica contacted to that Company and explained them their mistakes. Even when she was sick with Covid 19 she continued taking intense measures to bring our family problems to the successful solution. Employees like Jessica ** make a big positive efforts to improve the image of Humana and to consequently attract more customers. She is not just regular employee. She goes extra mile to help and satisfy the customers. Thank you very much, Jessica!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I had a script filled and paid for Humana for a skin cream to treat a bad rash I had developed. The script specified ONE refill before 5/5/2022. I did NOT notice that, in ultra small print, "no refill BEFORE 3/3/2021." Well, the rash expanded a bit and I'm a big guy to begin with and it became clear to me, on 2/22/2021, that I was going to run out of ointment, so I contacted my pharmacy to get a refill. Humana denied the refill and I called them.

They were unmoved by the the facts, sticking to the claim that the 45 grams represented enough for a two-week treatment. I told them that this wasn't like a certain number of pills taken x per day that would be expected to last a specific length of time. This was a TOPICAL and how long it was going to last was dependent on some variables that didn't exactly translate to a predictable dose. And anyway, they'd've paid for the refill on 3/3/21, but not on 2/22/21. How does this make sense? I was unable to sway the person on the phone; her solution was, and I quote, "Maybe you should spread it a bit thinner." This after I waited 22 minutes on 2/24 to actually speak to a human. The fact that I would have been OKd for the refill ONE WEEK later was not sufficient to get them to budge.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

Fair price. However, with virtually every prescription that is filled, the pharmacy reports an issue with the insurance company. Delays the prescription. Never experienced this before. A standard review by Humana can take up to 72 hrs and an emergency request 24 hrs. You may be out of your prescription but will have to wait on Humana’s approval. They frequently seem to need to contact your doctor for some reason which can add up to a 14 day delay. Benefit coverage seems to vary, a particular prescription of mine for a 30 day supply cost $47. A 90 day supply $33. I was told today ‘circumstances’ changed with 2021, but my renewal documents stated nothing about verification changes with doctors. A frequently prescribed blood pressure medication - why after years being prescribed this drug should Humana now have an issue? Coincidence they contacted me last week to seek an less expensive alternative to this drug, I don’t think so.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

The insurance isn’t bad concerning some certain things but the more important medical problems that require surgery, is where things get a little unfair in my opinion. Major surgery, it would seem, would be covered a hundred percent, or at least most of it, but it isn’t. The part that consumers have to pay is outrageous.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Very discouraging when they don't pay a Doctor and you have to appeal to get it paid. It is more discouraging that the doctor's office didn't tell you that service was not covered by the insurance and run extra tests that are not covered. Then you have to pay money out of pocket that you don't have.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I changed over to Humana insurance three years ago, and have been very happy with their service, cost, and their interest in my overall health. They seem to have good management that are keeping cost, and benefits in balance. They always keep you informed of your cost and benefits.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Medical, dental and eyewear savings ie: little or non copays on visits, R/X and free eye exam with 1 pair free glasses. Oh and a fifty buck Mediacare "B" refund every month. This plan has saved me thousands of dollars and all my doctors and hospitals are in network providers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I am very satisfied with my plan of policy from Humana. I have been in and out of the hospital over that last few years and not paid a dime out of pocket. Also when I go to my doctor there is no co pay. I understand that my policy is a little pricey but for the peace of mind it is worth it.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Company Information