Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Learn More

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5

Insurance leader Humana provides three types of Medigap insurance for Medicare users. The policies are designed to help seniors afford the cost of health care by covering items not traditionally included in Medicare Parts A and B. Policies are available for plans A through N, and Humana also offers plans to cover vision, dental and prescriptions.

BOTTOM LINE

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance provides coverage for items not provided under traditional medicare. For a monthly premium, seniors can receive help with deductibles, co-insurance, hospice care and more.

PROS

• Detailed plan information available online
  • Buy online or through a licensed agent
  • Easy to search coverage by ZIP code

CONS

• Prescriptions not covered
Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Learn More

Humana Medicare Supplement review

Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance, also known as Medigap, helps pay healthcare costs that aren’t covered under Medicare Parts A and B. To qualify, you must be at least 65 years of age, be enrolled in Medicare and live in a state where Humana offers the coverage you want. You can easily find what coverage is available in your area by doing a ZIP code search on the Humana website.

Humana offers three types of plans for seniors in need of coverage. They can be purchased together or separately.

• Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance: Supplemental Medicare insurance exists to cover healthcare costs not paid for under Medicare Parts A and B. This can include items like deductibles, coinsurance and hospice care.
  • Medicare Advantage plans: Humana designed their Medicare Advantage plans as an alternative to government-offered Medicare. These plans cover what’s included in Medicare Parts A and B but also provide additional coverage, such as prescriptions, dental and vision.
  • Humana’s Medicare Part D prescription drug plans (PDP): PDPs help cover the cost of prescription drugs, which can be astronomical for seniors on Medicare and a financial strain for those on limited incomes, such as Social Security. A PDP plan can be purchased as a stand-alone plan to help supplement Medicare and/or any supplemental plan you have.

Humana Medicare Supplement plans

Humana’s supplemental insurance is available under Plans A, B, C, G, K, L and N. A high deductible Plan F is also available. Supplemental insurance coverage may help lower the cost of coinsurance and deductibles and cover special care or tests, including blood draws and skilled nursing facilities. Some plans even provide emergency travel insurance. Generally, Medicare Supplement Insurance does not cover items like vision, dental care, hearing care, private nursing, long-term care or prescription drugs. Your specific coverage varies by the plan you select. Explore the plans below to better understand what each offers.

Plan A
  • Medicare Part B deductible: Not covered
  • Medicare Part B excess charges: Not covered
  • Foreign travel emergency: Not covered
Plan N
  • Medicare Part A coinsurance and coverage for hospital benefits: $20 copay for office visits; $50 copay for ER

Humana Medicare Supplement cost

The cost of Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance depends on which plan you select. Review the chart below for the average monthly cost by plan type in different parts of the country.

PlanTulsa, Oklahoma*Missoula, Montana*Lexington, Kentucky*
Plan G$102.49n/a$121.41
Plan Kn/a$76.19n/a
Plan Ln/a$107.50n/a
Plan N$91.64$119.40$101.90
*This quote is just an estimate. It's based on a 67-year-old, non-smoking female.
**High deductible plan F has a deductible of $2,300, compared to $185 for other plans. The trade-off is the much lower monthly premium cost.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance FAQ

Is there an open enrollment period for Humana Medicare insurance?
Yes. The open enrollment period begins the first day of the month you turn 65. You must also be enrolled in Medicare Part B.
What states offer Humana insurance?
Find out if Humana is offered in your state by entering your ZIP code on the website to see plans in your area.
Does Humana offer supplemental dental insurance?
Yes, but not as a part of their Medicare Supplement Insurance. Supplemental dental insurance can be purchased separately.

Is Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance worth it?

If you’re not satisfied with Medicare Parts A and B, we recommend supplemental Medicare insurance to ensure you have the coverage you need. Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance provides extra protection and offers straightforward pricing and coverage information.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

Since I've had Humana I've been completely satisfied with their service. Now no insurance is perfect but they have been good. When I call with questions they are quick to help me out. I have a nurse that comes around twice a month and calls me regularly to check on me. I thought I would have a problem because they were new to the east coast but I like not having to have no referrals. I can choose a doctor and just go. Loving HUMANA.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I have Humana Advantage Plan. So happy that I switched. My Humana location has friendly and helpful staff, complimentary coffee and tea and snacks. Offered are exercise classes to accommodate most everyone's needs, from Silver Sneakers, line dancing, strength/balance to Tai Chi and others. Educational classes are offered on regular basis. Also included is free membership to gym. My primary doctor is wonderful as are specialists. I pay zero for my Plan, except what SS deducts. With everything that is included, how could I not be pleased!

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have had Humana since 2012. They have never let me down. I have used my coverage in hospital emergency departments and have received speedy payments with no refusals. I agree that it helps that I have myself familiar with my plan and I think that everyone should do the same. I have used my plan for ambulance trips and again received speedy payments. I have a Humana provider in whom I have complete faith. He is very dependable and extremely knowledgeable. I trust him. He was recommended by Humana.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I have been with Humana for about four years and have received excellent service. Always easy to speak with customer service representatives for explanations for information not clear and make changes when necessary. In case of emergency you have access to a 24 hour nurse, $75.00 over the counter medication, regular pharmacy, a group matrix who come to the home to take vitals, interviews, and make sure you are doing alright, send results to your primary free of charge, get rewarded at end of year for getting shots and maintaining regular check-ups with gift cards and much more. I would recommend them for all seniors looking for insurance who go the extra mile to take care of your needs.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

With Humana, I get a lot for a little cost. I took Humana, as I live in a small town; and it was the most widely used Medicare Supplemental Insurance. I never have a problem figuring out my insurance. If I don't understand something that has been mailed to me, I can usually check their easy-to-use website and/or call them directly. A Humana representative has always been friendly and helpful, every time. I know exactly what my procedures (such as MRI's) will cost before I do it, so there is never any surprises. I get great coverage from my PPO, even when traveling to another state. This gives me peace of mind, as I like to take my camper and travel as much as possible. I like Humana's generous over-the-counter savings. I can get numerous medical and first-aid items (band aids, vitamins, aspirin, etc.). This $50 for every quarter helps me stock up, while not having to spend my own money. A great cost saving value!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Without notice they doubled my deductible, $3000 To $6000 Which wouldn't be bad but I have 3 prescriptions. Which I would never hit my deductible EVER!!! So I canceled my prescription coverage which was hell! Then I decided not to pick up a prescription which was $470.00. And they send me a letter saying I owe them for that prescription!!!! I can't afford it considering I paid under $10.00 last year, and nothing before that. I guess I go without insulin. They said I would pay that till my deductible of $6000 is met in a year. SO I WILL NEVER MEET MY DEDUCTIBLE!!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I have been having issues getting tests needed for possible Uterine Cancer. I have been denied by four doctors already. Finally found a doctor who was willing to accept me and my insurance, and she was about to do a much needed biopsy to see if I have cancer (been waiting for this test for over a year). Even after going to this doctor all this time, the insurance suddenly won't approve the surgery. They say cuz the doctor is out of network. They took away my out of network privledges without notice. So I can't get this biopsy done to see if I have cancer and can't get my hysterectomy to cure my horrible anemia which is now destroying my liver, spleen and heart.

I could have had the surgery on Feb 14 and possibly found much needed answers and finally not felt sick.....but thanks to Humana I have to start a search for a doctor all over again. Meanwhile dealing with illness and emotional distress due to their negligence. I do not recommend them to anyone trying to get better. And to think I have been a client for over 12 years and this is how your treated. Not to mentioned they waiting till the very end of the enrollment period so I could not have time to apply for new advantage plan. I hate you for ruining my life Humana!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I learned AFTER the enrollment period was over that Humana had put me in their highest cost Part D plan. Appealed to Humana and got the "sorry", too late, answer. However, the second lady I talked to confirmed that their letter never mentioned the amount to expect, plus, they had the wrong phone number-one number error, which meant, of course, that the claim that they called me a bunch of hooey. Not willing to take it lying down, I contacted the Mississippi SHIP (State Health Insurance Program) an advisory service, not sales agents. I was told that they had noticed a pattern of Humana doing that this year. He described their actions as "egregious". Advised me to call Medicare and tell them Humana broke the rules so that I was eligible for special enrollment. Medicare didn't argue, just changed me to the $13.20 per month plan. Will save me $556 this year. Next fall I will read all the fine print and ask many questions!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

They doubled the premium on my wife and I on Part D prescription coverage. They stated my old plan is no longer available, but I searched and the cheaper plan is still being advertised by Humana as available. They lied and did not notify me of increase in time to change.I have filed a complaint with Medicare. I encourage everyone to file a complaint.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Updated on 3/10/2020: As many others have had occur to them, Humana changed our prescription plan from the Walmart Rx plan to the "Premier Rx Plan" without our knowledge of such staying that "the only thing changed was the name, the same meds are covered". However, they failed to tell you that the plan cost goes form $16 a month to $56 a month for the exact same coverage you had before. After many calls, several grievances files with no action, or in our case, no return call about the grievance filed - My wife found the magic solution!

Call 1-800-MEDICARE and explain what happened with your case at Humana. We did this and within a two weeks got a call from Humana, putting us back on the Walmart RX plan and crediting us for the charges of the Premier Rx Plan. The Humana person tried placing the blame on Medicare for the problem, which I know is not true. We received our new plan cards in the mail today. This appears to be the only solution to the problem, as Humana really does not seem to care about the false and misleading process used to wrongly upgrade people into a higher cost plan for the exact same coverage as the lower cost plan.

Original Review: We have had the Humana Walmart Basic Rx Plan PDP for the past 6 years, and it was a good value for us at $13.20 each and it has worked well for us. During this past enrollment period, we received an e-mail saying that our coverage was the same, but the plan name has been change to the "Premier" plan since the other did not exist. Thinking all was fine, we left it as was and then was very surprised to find the the Premier plan was $56 a month, each, for basically, same coverage. I went back and looked on their website, just now, and the Walmart Plan still is there for my zip code.

I have called, spoken with customer service and been told that a lot of people are complaining about this. However, the rep could do nothing for me. I then asked to speak with someone higher up and transferred to a supervisor who said to file a grievance, and corporate would then call me back to review. About a week and a half later, I relied a call back, was told that, yes, lots of complaints for same issue. I was then transferred back to enrollment, who then ran me around in circles for about 20 minutes fast talking and told me that I should have read on page 5, I think it was, that the plan was now $56 a month. I asked why it was now that much when the Walmart plan was till in both their website and the 2020 Medicare & You booklet. No real answer, just, "This is what it is and you are now locked into it for the year" because I did not make a change during the enrollment period.

When I asked her why then, did the notice received say the only thing changed was the plan name? No answer. Obviously, I am very dissatisfied and think this is about as close to a "Bait and Switch" aspect you are going to see. If this is how Humana plans on treating customers, then they are certainly losing me as they seem to have no real concern over customer care, or service - just about how much they can get from you. It would be great if Consumer Affairs could take some action here as this does seem to be a consistent complaint for those of us on medicare and supplemental programs.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I had changed my Humana Drug Plan this past December. Humana terminated my contract for no reason on 1-7-2020 (by mistake) even though the premium was paid. I had called 6 times over the past 2.5 weeks, approx for 2.5 hours each time, and spoke with virtually every department to correct their mistake. They had told me that a reinstatement of policy was in effect (marked critical) and would be corrected with-in 78 hrs. At this time, 1-17-2020, my policy is still not reinstated. This has had a big impact to getting my prescriptions as required. I do not recommend this firm for any supplement to Medicare.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

We two seniors had Medicare Plan D coverage in the Humana Walmart Plan for several years. For 2020 Humana automatically converted ALL of us Medicare Plan D folks in that plan to a new Premier Plan without our consent. The new plan is more than TWICE the price but offers no additional benefits. Humana sent me an email saying that 2020 info was available online. The email made no reference to change of plan. AND, I was unable to review that information as I was hospitalized and still am recovering from multiple fractures.

In 2019 my husband and I together paid about $91 a month, but now in 2020 we pay about $160 a month. We can not afford this. Our drugs without insurance from Costco membership are only $40 a year for me and about $450 for my husband. Humana's automatic conversion Price is forcing us to cancel our Plan D insurance for 2020. Unfortunately this will cause us to incur a monthly premium penalty when we can choose a new Rx insurance plan for 2021. I took a California contract law class where I learned that an offer of a contract is not valid unless accepted. In other words Humana by automatic conversion does not have a valid contract with me for this Premier Plan. Furthermore, they still offer a Walmart Plan at the cost of less than $14 a month. The new Premier Plan is over $64 a month. Who oversees this company? Medicare? The state insurance commission? The District Attorney? Some commission on Elder financial abuse?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I preface my comments with this: Remember, Medicare Part D RX Drug Plan is Mandatory. You must join, or be penalized later, when you do try to get it again later. So if I cancel this, I’ll pay way more in penalties for rest of my life. FILE COMPLAINT WITH MEDICARE! FILE COMPLAINT WITH YOUR STATE INSURANCE COMMISSIONERS. File a review on every consumer protection, Better Business website you can find!

When I looked up my plan in the Medicare 2020 Annual Guide, my Humana Walmart RX plan was going to be $13.**/mo. So I did not investigate any further. When I checked to confirm new premiums for the next year. I was surprised to find out Humana had switched me to a ‘new plan’. The highest premium plan they have. I have always been on the Humana Walmart Preferred RX plan. They merged the existing old Walmart plan customers into a new plan charging double the premium. Without consent! Then Humana Insurance started another “NEW” Humana Walmart RX Plan! At a low premium level!

I cannot afford these $52.30/mo. Medicare Part D premiums in addition to $144.60/mo. For Medicare Part B premiums. A Total of $201.20 monthly. Plus cost of all medicines. These $52.30 monthly Part D premiums in addition to $144.60 monthly, for Medicare Part B. Total of $201.20 monthly. Plus Co-pay cost of all medicines, which only 2 match the cost of old plan, rest cost more monthly.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I've had a Humana Rx medicare (Walmart) supplemental plan for the last 2 years. Premiums were $29.60 monthly. I started the plan, even though I do not take any prescriptions, when I signed up for Medicare and considered this amount to be an investment for the future, when I would need meds. During the most recent recent plan renewal period, Humana apparently dropped the Walmart plan and automatically switched everyone over to their premier Rx plan with a whopping premium of $58 per month, almost twice the rate I was paying.

I called when I saw the new premium amount and was told that I could have opted out during the renewal period. They said sorry, but you're stuck with the new plan for a year. How can Humana get away with doing this to seniors? Any substantial changes to any plan should be communicated directly to the customer, not buried in a publication that looks like garbage mail. Now it's going to cost me almost $700 just to stay in the plan. You're advised!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I am really not happy with the way the Humana handle its customers. I am so desperate to get off its control and find myself a plan that really care for its members. OTC is a false. I got the flu and I just want to get some over the counter medication for the coughing, the person from Humana told that the only way will be by mail. It can take from 5 to 10 days for me to get it. By that time I will be dead. What a waste of money and time with this people.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

These sneaky ** just raised their rates by 80% without any real notification except the annual "plan changes" junk mail notice that everyone ignores. Never again. Now it's too late to change plans, but I sure will next year.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have been a Humana Advantage member for about 4 years. In March of 2019, I had an aortic valve replacement. My Cardiologist has informed me that because Humana Advantage is so slow to pay for necessary diagnostics he is having to remove himself as a participation physician. I must either find a new advantage program or I must find a new cardiologist. There are relatively few Advantage programs serving my area. This has placed me in a precarious position. In looking for a new cardiologist I am told the same thing. This is not good. Heretofore I have been satisfied with my program.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Chose the same Insurance as last year. This year I was told that all diagnostics had to have a prior-authorization. The blood work ordered by my Primary Care Physician and Specialists were all denied. Both the Dr. offices and I tried calling Humana to have the denials reviewed with no luck. I did not know my plan turned into an HMO! The Specialist cancelled my procedure scheduled for Nov. 13th of this year until my new Insurance Plan is effective Jan. 1,2020.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Poor rating because: not open for calls on weekends. Have to call about every Dr. or clinic, no book. Best clinics not in network, some of those included have very negative reviews. Time consuming to call and check on network procedures such as flu shots. Repeating information to get information.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I haven’t had to use my supplemental for anything more than prescription drugs & eye exams. I’ve compared it to another provider, and found my coverage to be more than adequate. I am grateful to have the coverage.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

My drug for my cancer cost $21,000 per month. Sadly, Humana classifies this drug as a Class 5 drug and does not cover it. And I'm not impressed with their Dental coverage which can become costly.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Very pleased with Humana. Have been dependable and truthful in their business. Also Humana is credited with my medical provider and hospital which if one is not careful with their plans, they will not be protected with this important benefit.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I have the Humana Prescription Walmart plan. I enjoy that the Walmart druggists all look out for my bottom line in costs. They also keep a check on the rules of the policy. This policy fits my budget the best of any I have had before.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

It's the only insurance company that covers all my husband's prescriptions. Most are free with mail order and he gets a 3 month supply for each order. It is a bit frustrating when trying to get a hold of customer service by phone. You have to jump through too many hoops.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Humana failed to pay the claim. It took almost a year to settle a dispute. Humana refused to allow escalation to high management. Once escalated Humana dropped the case and the process had to be started all over again. Once again failed to escalate. Had to write a letter to CEO. The process still dragged on. Will never subscribe to Humana again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I have two prescriptions that are $7.00 per month. My premium is $33.30 per month. Somehow, this doesn’t compute. I am on a fixed income and forced to pay my premium which means that some months I can’t afford the extra $7.00 for my meds.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I like you man on a lot. They are proactive about your health. They just don't react. They make sure all my prescriptions are filled. They have a pharmacy. Sometimes there's no charge at all for some eye medications. They have home nurse that comes visit annually if you want to does the service air is very good.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I called and got a representative within a few days. They dressed business casual and extremely polite. The rep explained. Took about 2 hours. He did not rush and asked if I had questions. It was easy sign up and policy covers more than other insurance companies. I'm happy with their service and they answer the phone quickly as well. The plan covers a huge service area of doctors in my city.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Humana has been great at filling my prescriptions at minimum or no cost to me. They contact my Doctor when it's time for refills, keep me up to date and remind me when a prescription is about to expire.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Little to no premiums/co-pays, mail delivery drugs - 3 month at a time, otc allowance every quarter and available 24/7- by phone and email and advance notice on refills year end summary as well as quarterly reports online.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Company Information