Call Now Toll Free
Shop Now on Health Network
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5

Humana provides three types of Medicare coverage options for Medicare users. Its Medigap plans are designed to help seniors afford the cost of healthcare by covering items not traditionally included in Medicare Parts A and B. Policies are available for plans A through N (except part D), and Humana also offers plans for vision, dental and prescription coverage.

BOTTOM LINE

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance provides coverage not offered by traditional medicare. For a monthly premium, seniors can receive help with deductibles, coinsurance, hospice care and more.

PROS
  • Quotes available online
  • Buy online or through an agent
  • Search coverage by ZIP code
CONS
  • Limited prescription coverage
  • Plans not available everywhere

Top Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance?

I am very satisfied with my plan of policy from Humana. I have been in and out of the hospital over that last few years and not paid a dime out of pocket. Also when I go to my doctor there is no copay. I understand that my policy is a little pricey but for the peace of mind it is worth it.

Humana has always been fair in charges for any medical services needed. Never been denied coverage for any service. Claims are easy to understand and very detailed. Annual fees are excellent. Highly recommended Humana to anyone seeking quality care and support.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Call Now Toll Free (844) 825-7600 Shop Now on Health Network

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started
Call Now Toll Free

What is Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance?

Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance, also known as Medigap, helps pay for healthcare costs that aren’t covered under Medicare Parts A and B. To qualify, you must be at least 65 years of age, be enrolled in Medicare Part B and live in a state where Humana offers the coverage you want. You can easily find what coverage is available in your area by doing a ZIP code search on the Humana website.

Humana offers three types of plans for seniors in need of coverage.

• Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance: Medicare supplemental insurance exists to cover healthcare costs not paid for under Medicare Parts A and B. This can include items like deductibles, coinsurance and hospice care.
  • Medicare Advantage plans: Humana designed its Medicare Advantage plans as an alternative to government-offered Medicare. These plans cover what’s included in Medicare Parts A and B but also provide additional coverage, such as prescriptions, dental and vision.
  • Humana’s Medicare Part D prescription drug plans (PDP): PDPs help cover the cost of prescription drugs, which can be astronomical for seniors on Medicare and a financial strain for those on limited incomes, such as Social Security. A PDP plan can be purchased as a stand-alone plan to help supplement your Medicare or any supplemental plan without prescription drug coverage.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance plans

Humana’s supplemental insurance is available under Plans A, B, C, F, G, K, L and N. A high-deductible Plan F is also available. Supplemental insurance coverage may help lower the cost of coinsurance and deductibles and cover special care or tests, including blood draws and skilled nursing facilities. Some plans even provide emergency travel insurance.

Generally, Medicare Supplement Insurance does not cover items like vision, dental care, hearing care, private nursing, long-term care or prescription drugs. Your specific coverage varies by the plan you select. Explore the plans below to better understand what each offers.

Plan A
  • Medicare Part B deductible: Not covered
  • Medicare Part B excess charges: Not covered
  • Foreign travel emergency: Not covered
Plan N
  • Medicare Part A coinsurance and coverage for hospital benefits: $20 copay for office visits; $50 copay for ER
  • Foreign travel emergency: Included

How much does Humana Medicare Supplement cost?

The cost of Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance depends on which plan you select. Review the chart below for the average monthly cost by plan type in different parts of the country.

PlanTulsa, Oklahoma*Missoula, Montana*Columbus, Ohio*
Plan G$71.97$180.55$131.38
Plan K$100.57$80.28n/a
Plan Ln/a$113.31n/a
Plan N$157.06$130.57$110.72
*This quote is just an estimate. It's based on a 67-year-old female who doesn’t smoke.
**High-deductible plan F has a deductible of $2,300, compared to $185 for other plans. The trade-off is the much lower monthly premium cost.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance FAQ

Is there an open enrollment period for Humana Medicare insurance?
Yes. The open enrollment period for Medigap begins the first day of the month you turn 65. You must also be enrolled in Medicare Part B. You can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan or a Medicare drug plan (Part D) when you turn 65 or during your Initial Enrollment Period, Special Enrollment Period or regular Medicare enrollment periods for Medicare.
What states offer Humana insurance?
Find out if Humana is offered in your state by entering your ZIP code on the website to see plans in your area.
Does Humana offer supplemental dental insurance?
Yes, but not as a part of its Medicare Supplement Insurance. Supplemental dental insurance can be purchased separately.
Is Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance worth it?
If you’re not satisfied with Medicare Parts A and B, we recommend supplemental Medicare insurance to ensure you have the coverage you need. Humana’s Medicare Supplement Insurance provides extra protection and offers straightforward pricing and coverage information.

Is Humana a good Medicare supplement?

Humana is a health insurance giant offering a variety of Medicare insurance products and plans that can save seniors money. That said, Humana received mixed customer satisfaction ratings for various plans sold nationwide on the National Committee for Quality Assurance’s (NCQA) latest Health Plan Ratings report. A Humana plan may not be right for those looking for an exceptional experience with their Medicare Advantage or Supplement plans.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

The insurance isn’t bad concerning some certain things but the more important medical problems that require surgery, is where things get a little unfair in my opinion. Major surgery, it would seem, would be covered a hundred percent, or at least most of it, but it isn’t. The part that consumers have to pay is outrageous.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Medical, dental and eyewear savings ie: little or non copays on visits, R/X and free eye exam with 1 pair free glasses. Oh and a fifty buck Mediacare "B" refund every month. This plan has saved me thousands of dollars and all my doctors and hospitals are in network providers.

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I am very satisfied with my plan of policy from Humana. I have been in and out of the hospital over that last few years and not paid a dime out of pocket. Also when I go to my doctor there is no co pay. I understand that my policy is a little pricey but for the peace of mind it is worth it.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Since Covid and the pandemic, Humana Advantage has No cost for telemed calls. Any Covid test if you suspect or have symptoms is free. They are really stepping up during this time. Since it is a PPO referrals are Not needed for specialist. I am completely pleased with low monthly cost and $5 copay for MD and $10 for specialist.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Never get sick. I have always been blessed. I lost my job and had no Insurance until May of this year. I never thought I would need it. In June I got so sick I couldn't stop coughing, couldn't breathe and ended in the hospital for a week. I was so scared. Humana Gold Plus took such good care of me in and when I got home, anything and everything I need was there. All my meds, oxygen tanks, everything. They cover it all. I have never been so bless. Never been so truly impressed with a Insurance company.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I had a script filled and paid for Humana for a skin cream to treat a bad rash I had developed. The script specified ONE refill before 5/5/2022. I did NOT notice that, in ultra small print, "no refill BEFORE 3/3/2021." Well, the rash expanded a bit and I'm a big guy to begin with and it became clear to me, on 2/22/2021, that I was going to run out of ointment, so I contacted my pharmacy to get a refill. Humana denied the refill and I called them.

They were unmoved by the the facts, sticking to the claim that the 45 grams represented enough for a two-week treatment. I told them that this wasn't like a certain number of pills taken x per day that would be expected to last a specific length of time. This was a TOPICAL and how long it was going to last was dependent on some variables that didn't exactly translate to a predictable dose. And anyway, they'd've paid for the refill on 3/3/21, but not on 2/22/21. How does this make sense? I was unable to sway the person on the phone; her solution was, and I quote, "Maybe you should spread it a bit thinner." This after I waited 22 minutes on 2/24 to actually speak to a human. The fact that I would have been OKd for the refill ONE WEEK later was not sufficient to get them to budge.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

Fair price. However, with virtually every prescription that is filled, the pharmacy reports an issue with the insurance company. Delays the prescription. Never experienced this before. A standard review by Humana can take up to 72 hrs and an emergency request 24 hrs. You may be out of your prescription but will have to wait on Humana’s approval. They frequently seem to need to contact your doctor for some reason which can add up to a 14 day delay. Benefit coverage seems to vary, a particular prescription of mine for a 30 day supply cost $47. A 90 day supply $33. I was told today ‘circumstances’ changed with 2021, but my renewal documents stated nothing about verification changes with doctors. A frequently prescribed blood pressure medication - why after years being prescribed this drug should Humana now have an issue? Coincidence they contacted me last week to seek an less expensive alternative to this drug, I don’t think so.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Very discouraging when they don't pay a Doctor and you have to appeal to get it paid. It is more discouraging that the doctor's office didn't tell you that service was not covered by the insurance and run extra tests that are not covered. Then you have to pay money out of pocket that you don't have.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I changed over to Humana insurance three years ago, and have been very happy with their service, cost, and their interest in my overall health. They seem to have good management that are keeping cost, and benefits in balance. They always keep you informed of your cost and benefits.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I have had Humana for many years and have been extremely pleased with the company. Their health and wellness benefits have been more than fair. The questions that I have asked have been always answered. Their Pharmacy is extremely helpful. I would recommend them highly.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I don't like having to get authorizations for all doctors and it usually will take a couple of weeks for Humana Gold HMO Orlando to approve it. Prescription plan is good and co-pays to specialists are only $10 so am saving money with this plan however you have to choose your doctors from their participation plan and a lot of the doctors I had are not on this plan. But so far the new doctors have been ok.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

A poor excuse for an insurance company. Since day one they have been charging me for plans I did not approve. Like prescription, premium and kept raising my copays every two weeks. They started out with 10 dollar copays and in a month they raised me to 45 dollars without explanation. They tried to bill me for 57 extra dollars a month for a prescription drug plan after I told them NO twice. I surely called Medicare and turned them in.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I am my mother's in-home health care provider for the most part. She decided to get supplemental insurance. WARN YOUR PARENTS! This has been ridiculous and now I have to take the time to sort it all out. She is currently without her anti-psychotics and more importantly her chemo pill for her cancer. First the sales rep had her all scrambled up cause she kept trying to have my mother call her back. Several tries later, and finally my mom was able to sign up. Given her health, her bills are through the roof and she was so excited. That is until I went to pick up her scripts. They were denied. Out of pocket for just two of her meds is over $1800. The sales rep did not warn her or tell her she would lose her prescription coverage. Without her chemo pill, my mom will most likely end up in the hospital. This should be considered criminal and they need held accountable.

Original review: July 20, 2020

My doctor prescribed a drug to avoid blood clotting and that would allow my continuing to have a normal diet. HUMANA denied my doctor’s order and wrote their own. All of this cost a delay of over a week now. Who’s the doctor here? The price of the two drugs are about the same. I’m still awaiting the response of HUMANA’S death panel as to whether or not the real doctor’s order might be filled. Oh, too, the last phone call was over 27 minutes and I was switched off to, I think, three different people who had no authority. I feel sorry for these HUMANA phone people who have to keep saying “No” in a pleasant tone. I’m nice, but I suspect they hear the worst from some callers. Bottom line, HUMANA = DEATH PANEL, RUN!

Original review: July 6, 2020

Once you get established with Humana it is a fantastic company. If you have a problem they have the worst customer service representatives in the nation. It took me 16 telephone calls to 16 different customer service representatives to ever get my problem resolved. Finally, I prayed to God and put it into his hands and the next representative I talked to acted like he had some clue why he was there and what he was doing. He made an effort and then in a couple of days the problem was corrected and I haven't had any problems since then. I'm not sure whether it's inadequate training or just plain incompetence but they need to work on their customer service Representatives. I believe I could do their job right now and be more efficient. Other than this, it is a great health insurance company.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I got a policy through Humana for Medicare supplement and was told I had 30 days from when I got it to cancel with a full refund. It even stated so on the policy. I canceled in 9 day because it wasn’t what I was told. When I called I was told it would be canceled at the end of the month and just not to use a I would revive a refund. After 5 months and many phone calls I was told I would not get a refund even though they had the recorded call telling me I would and knew the date I canceled so don’t believe the 30 day refund policy. It is worthless.

Original review: June 17, 2020

My mother is 84 years old. She just had a triple bypass. Humana has decided that she no longer needs rehab after 2 weeks in... When I called Humana the rep said that her Dr. had to say she was ready. Lie LIE LIE!! They told me in all honestly she is not ready. Humana's Dr. said she was. So it will no longer pay! All that will happen is she will come home, too early and end up right back in the hospital! I have never seen such BS ever! They said that they go by Medicare's guideline... BS... Because when she had only medicare she was taken care of far better than now! They never questioned her Dr's and took care of whatever she needed. Yes we paid a small amount however we would have to pay out far more for care with Humana. Because now we have to find a way to pay a sitter and extra help. If you are wise and want to help your elderly parents, Do not give them Humana!!!

Original review: June 4, 2020

Right when everybody was getting locked down I had a rusty spike go through my foot. The clinic two blocks from my house had a sign up for any Humana customers how sorry they were Humana refused to work with them. I sent the paperwork in twice already and they keep saying they won't pay because of a detailed list (which I sent twice). They are basically Obama-care which is NOT what I've been working and paying for 50 years. They are collecting big government bucks for nothing. DON'T DO IT LOOK AROUND.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I enrolled in the Humana Medicare Supplement Plan G effective 3/1/20. Almost immediately the country, including my state, county and city advised seniors to stay home and avoid non-essential exposure to the virus. I am currently being treated for hypertension and my doctor has been switching my medication monthly in order to control my blood pressure, which was regularly reaching levels that would dictate emergency room treatment. I had two scheduled appointments, which were changed by my doctor to telephone appointments.

When I received my Humana EOB I learned that Humana was not covering telehealth appointments. Just yesterday I received a survey indicating that Human had decided to cover telehealth appointments effective May 1 (after many areas had removed the shelter in place order) and only for Medicare Advantage plans - not the Medicare Supplemental plans - even though Humana's reasoning was that their Medicare Advantage customers were senior citizens. There have been numerous other problems with this plan - I was told when enrolling that my plan included the Silver Sneakers program. When I received my enrollment materials - I learned it did not. Humana has been unable to tell me how to file a claim for a medication administered in a physician's office, i.e, not from a pharmacy or hospital. It has been months trying to get this claim covered. Can't wait to switch during the open enrollment period!

Original review: May 13, 2020

I went through an incredible nightmare! They switched me without my authorization from the basic Walmart RX plan to their most expensive plan and charged me accordingly/spent WEEKS of daily frustration on phone/writing letters & emails to go back to basic plan - only with State of WA help I was successful... they still want more money... they NEVER respond to any letters, emails, or phone calls..." talked" to Quiana and Kerrie on their website pop-up, and they show ZERO EMPATHY on anything that I explained! Humana is only about MONEY, our Government needs to investigate all of their scams! They are targeting us Seniors as easy prey - THEY NEVER ANSWER ANYTHING, JUST WANT MORE MONEY! All so SAD!

Original review: April 14, 2020

My boyfriend and I (both 71 years old) live in an area designated as poverty level. I was astounded when I first learned that people here could have a Humana Medicare Advantage Plan with NO monthly premium. Yes, co-pays are necessary, but they're reasonable, and it makes more sense to pay a fair co-pay per visit to a doctor, than to pay a huge monthly premium for something we all hope we never have to use!

My boyfriend went through two emergency episodes within just over two years, the second of which was probably a result of the first. (This probability is under study, and we hope the results will help many other people.) Both episodes required extensive and expensive surgery, and Humana paid just as well for us as it would have for someone who was paying monthly premiums. Also, there were no cost-saving measures demanded: My boyfriend went to Mayo for both procedures. I can't think of any other insurance that does this kind of thing. More likely is paying a premium (which we could never afford), and still having to fight with the insurance regarding what is/isn't paid. I don't know how Humana decided to be such a socially responsible company, but I'm SO glad it did. I actually don't see why anyone would have any other insurance. Thank-you, Humana!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Without notice they doubled my deductible, $3000 To $6000 Which wouldn't be bad but I have 3 prescriptions. Which I would never hit my deductible EVER!!! So I canceled my prescription coverage which was hell! Then I decided not to pick up a prescription which was $470.00. And they send me a letter saying I owe them for that prescription!!!! I can't afford it considering I paid under $10.00 last year, and nothing before that. I guess I go without insulin. They said I would pay that till my deductible of $6000 is met in a year. SO I WILL NEVER MEET MY DEDUCTIBLE!!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I have been having issues getting tests needed for possible Uterine Cancer. I have been denied by four doctors already. Finally found a doctor who was willing to accept me and my insurance, and she was about to do a much needed biopsy to see if I have cancer (been waiting for this test for over a year). Even after going to this doctor all this time, the insurance suddenly won't approve the surgery. They say cuz the doctor is out of network. They took away my out of network privledges without notice. So I can't get this biopsy done to see if I have cancer and can't get my hysterectomy to cure my horrible anemia which is now destroying my liver, spleen and heart.

I could have had the surgery on Feb 14 and possibly found much needed answers and finally not felt sick.....but thanks to Humana I have to start a search for a doctor all over again. Meanwhile dealing with illness and emotional distress due to their negligence. I do not recommend them to anyone trying to get better. And to think I have been a client for over 12 years and this is how your treated. Not to mentioned they waiting till the very end of the enrollment period so I could not have time to apply for new advantage plan. I hate you for ruining my life Humana!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I learned AFTER the enrollment period was over that Humana had put me in their highest cost Part D plan. Appealed to Humana and got the "sorry", too late, answer. However, the second lady I talked to confirmed that their letter never mentioned the amount to expect, plus, they had the wrong phone number-one number error, which meant, of course, that the claim that they called me a bunch of hooey. Not willing to take it lying down, I contacted the Mississippi SHIP (State Health Insurance Program) an advisory service, not sales agents. I was told that they had noticed a pattern of Humana doing that this year. He described their actions as "egregious". Advised me to call Medicare and tell them Humana broke the rules so that I was eligible for special enrollment. Medicare didn't argue, just changed me to the $13.20 per month plan. Will save me $556 this year. Next fall I will read all the fine print and ask many questions!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

They doubled the premium on my wife and I on Part D prescription coverage. They stated my old plan is no longer available, but I searched and the cheaper plan is still being advertised by Humana as available. They lied and did not notify me of increase in time to change.I have filed a complaint with Medicare. I encourage everyone to file a complaint.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Updated on 3/10/2020: As many others have had occur to them, Humana changed our prescription plan from the Walmart Rx plan to the "Premier Rx Plan" without our knowledge of such staying that "the only thing changed was the name, the same meds are covered". However, they failed to tell you that the plan cost goes form $16 a month to $56 a month for the exact same coverage you had before. After many calls, several grievances files with no action, or in our case, no return call about the grievance filed - My wife found the magic solution!

Call 1-800-MEDICARE and explain what happened with your case at Humana. We did this and within a two weeks got a call from Humana, putting us back on the Walmart RX plan and crediting us for the charges of the Premier Rx Plan. The Humana person tried placing the blame on Medicare for the problem, which I know is not true. We received our new plan cards in the mail today. This appears to be the only solution to the problem, as Humana really does not seem to care about the false and misleading process used to wrongly upgrade people into a higher cost plan for the exact same coverage as the lower cost plan.

Original Review: We have had the Humana Walmart Basic Rx Plan PDP for the past 6 years, and it was a good value for us at $13.20 each and it has worked well for us. During this past enrollment period, we received an e-mail saying that our coverage was the same, but the plan name has been change to the "Premier" plan since the other did not exist. Thinking all was fine, we left it as was and then was very surprised to find the the Premier plan was $56 a month, each, for basically, same coverage. I went back and looked on their website, just now, and the Walmart Plan still is there for my zip code.

I have called, spoken with customer service and been told that a lot of people are complaining about this. However, the rep could do nothing for me. I then asked to speak with someone higher up and transferred to a supervisor who said to file a grievance, and corporate would then call me back to review. About a week and a half later, I relied a call back, was told that, yes, lots of complaints for same issue. I was then transferred back to enrollment, who then ran me around in circles for about 20 minutes fast talking and told me that I should have read on page 5, I think it was, that the plan was now $56 a month. I asked why it was now that much when the Walmart plan was till in both their website and the 2020 Medicare & You booklet. No real answer, just, "This is what it is and you are now locked into it for the year" because I did not make a change during the enrollment period.

When I asked her why then, did the notice received say the only thing changed was the plan name? No answer. Obviously, I am very dissatisfied and think this is about as close to a "Bait and Switch" aspect you are going to see. If this is how Humana plans on treating customers, then they are certainly losing me as they seem to have no real concern over customer care, or service - just about how much they can get from you. It would be great if Consumer Affairs could take some action here as this does seem to be a consistent complaint for those of us on medicare and supplemental programs.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I had changed my Humana Drug Plan this past December. Humana terminated my contract for no reason on 1-7-2020 (by mistake) even though the premium was paid. I had called 6 times over the past 2.5 weeks, approx for 2.5 hours each time, and spoke with virtually every department to correct their mistake. They had told me that a reinstatement of policy was in effect (marked critical) and would be corrected with-in 78 hrs. At this time, 1-17-2020, my policy is still not reinstated. This has had a big impact to getting my prescriptions as required. I do not recommend this firm for any supplement to Medicare.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

We two seniors had Medicare Plan D coverage in the Humana Walmart Plan for several years. For 2020 Humana automatically converted ALL of us Medicare Plan D folks in that plan to a new Premier Plan without our consent. The new plan is more than TWICE the price but offers no additional benefits. Humana sent me an email saying that 2020 info was available online. The email made no reference to change of plan. AND, I was unable to review that information as I was hospitalized and still am recovering from multiple fractures.

In 2019 my husband and I together paid about $91 a month, but now in 2020 we pay about $160 a month. We can not afford this. Our drugs without insurance from Costco membership are only $40 a year for me and about $450 for my husband. Humana's automatic conversion Price is forcing us to cancel our Plan D insurance for 2020. Unfortunately this will cause us to incur a monthly premium penalty when we can choose a new Rx insurance plan for 2021. I took a California contract law class where I learned that an offer of a contract is not valid unless accepted. In other words Humana by automatic conversion does not have a valid contract with me for this Premier Plan. Furthermore, they still offer a Walmart Plan at the cost of less than $14 a month. The new Premier Plan is over $64 a month. Who oversees this company? Medicare? The state insurance commission? The District Attorney? Some commission on Elder financial abuse?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I preface my comments with this: Remember, Medicare Part D RX Drug Plan is Mandatory. You must join, or be penalized later, when you do try to get it again later. So if I cancel this, I’ll pay way more in penalties for rest of my life. FILE COMPLAINT WITH MEDICARE! FILE COMPLAINT WITH YOUR STATE INSURANCE COMMISSIONERS. File a review on every consumer protection, Better Business website you can find!

When I looked up my plan in the Medicare 2020 Annual Guide, my Humana Walmart RX plan was going to be $13.**/mo. So I did not investigate any further. When I checked to confirm new premiums for the next year. I was surprised to find out Humana had switched me to a ‘new plan’. The highest premium plan they have. I have always been on the Humana Walmart Preferred RX plan. They merged the existing old Walmart plan customers into a new plan charging double the premium. Without consent! Then Humana Insurance started another “NEW” Humana Walmart RX Plan! At a low premium level!

I cannot afford these $52.30/mo. Medicare Part D premiums in addition to $144.60/mo. For Medicare Part B premiums. A Total of $201.20 monthly. Plus cost of all medicines. These $52.30 monthly Part D premiums in addition to $144.60 monthly, for Medicare Part B. Total of $201.20 monthly. Plus Co-pay cost of all medicines, which only 2 match the cost of old plan, rest cost more monthly.

Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance Company Information