Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.73/5

Transamerica Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

This plan fits my life style and meets my needs. Was spending way too much on another plan, then heard about this one. Monthly premium went down by almost 50%. I have referred many family and friends to check it out.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

If you purchase a Medigap policy then you are a senior, right. If you start a new policy with a different company because it is less expensive be very sure that TRANSAMERICA is notified 3 WEEKS before your new Company starts coverage. TRANSAMERICA was notified on 12-19-2016, and the policy was paid to 12-31-2016 via FAX to billing. On 1-6-2017 they ACHed a payment for the 2017 rate from the account we notified to stop automatic payment. They said they had to have a "Statement" from bank to refund. They had to have verification they were paid on that account listed with Policy. I took said information from account online, printed it and asked the bank if "amounts" for balance should be sent or blacked out. Black out as told by bank. It was faxed in and upon calling to check they received. Was told that would not do. HAD to have full statement... So back to bank and bank said they do not need statement. They had received payment.

I Stopped payment and blocked any ability to debit to that account! They can pay back but not debit! I believe they thought they could use a 87 year old money for 30-60 days before refunding. I would have then asked for the INTEREST for holding money. This is a form of using Elderly customers' money any way you look at it. It was a Medigap policy. They were notified on 12-19-2016 and the policy was paid to 12-31-2016. Please do not deal with a company that has a "policy" to USE elderly (money or a form of mental abuse). They have a motive to return funds 30 to 60 days. If you print a statement from the bank, fax it to them and WAIT for a return on money. They were notified in advance (12-19-2016) not to take (ACH withdraw) and took it out anyway (1-6-2017) with the increase to Policy Rate as the policy was paid through the policy period on the notice. Also with phone communication the person referred to this 87 yr old by policy # (really).

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

The features of the places fit in nicely to my needs. They did everything to accommodate my situation. I would recommend to others looking for supplemental insurance. The other insurance offerings met my needs for my health issues at the time. From dental to regular checkups I was taken care of. They found a policy to meet my needs. The customer service I received was excellent. They answered all my questions and were interested in listening to me. I did not have any problems with them. The value of the policy was affordable. It fit into my budget and was what I was looking for.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

I really needed this service. I was out of work and out of insurance, and I had a kidney stone. Without medicaid, I'd have been super screwed. They gave me insurance that I didn't have, and it was really needed. Their customer service was absolutely fantastic. Always answered every question I had easy and simply. I was really really happy with everyone I spoke to. The value was fantastic. It was medicaid, so it was free.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

Very helpful and beneficial for the means of coverage, helps with everyday life and people that can't afford coverage. The coverage is better than average and better than any plan an employer could offer. Helps with vision for glasses or contact lenses, and covers most prescriptions. Helps with dental as in cleaning and regular visits. And may choose from life insurance. Customer service is very kind and outstanding ready to answer any questions you may need for any benefit that your card covers. And you can call most any hour of the day within the business hours. The plan added a great deal of value, a lot of people including myself do not have the money to cover many expenses that this plan offers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica Medicare Supplemental Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Help when need insurance. I used when I was pregnant with my son and there was no other options for me as I was not working. Any time I needed to go to the doctor, there was no issues with claims or bills that were sent to me to pay. Customer service reps were top notch and very knowledgeable. Other insurance companies will try to scam you and tell you that they offer this and that. Always shop around for what your needs are. There is insurance available for every need. Customer service is key with any position is insurance. If they do not know what they're doing, it will not make sense to either of you. I have never had any issues with customer service with my insurance company. I have had a good experience and am not in debt because of an insurance claim. I value the care I receive in a health care facility and want the best care for me and my family.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I couldn't get my medication before. I couldn't go to the doctor. I could go to the eye doctor now that I have my Medicare insurance through Transamerica. I can get medical rides dental, eyes, ear, nose, throat, my diabetic medication. I love it. Now I can go to the diabetic doctor. I can pay for my medicine. There's only a small co-pay at $20. I can do anything now because I can actually pick up my medications without worry. I was at the pharmacy the other day and I had a problem. Only had to do was call the Customer Service at Transamerica and everything is fixed in 5 minutes. I have no problem. Pharmacist got right through and everything was handled accurately and accordingly. I started getting disability 2 years ago and I couldn't pay for anything, but to just mail the check is so small. Now that I have Medicare everything is gravy.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

It paid for some test and medications but a lot of prior approvals and hoops to jump through to see a specialist. But the prescription plan helped a lot as a supplemental insurance. I was happy with it. The insurance company paid for a lot of refills and provided somewhat helpful customer service. It was a hassle switching doctors but I guess that is to be expected with any insurance company. The customer service was in a nutshell like dealing with a bunch of kids. We can't get this done or we need prior approval. When a doctor writes a prescription that means he wants you to take that medication. Why do I need a letter from the doctor saying he wants me to take it. The insurance helped my life greatly. I would probably be easier without it. I would not have been able to pay for doctors visits and medications so I would not have the quality of life I have had for the last few years.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

They cover my bills pay for my prescriptions and allow me to go to well check up appointments. They are the reason I stay healthy and Alive for that matter. They cover all of my medical expenses in every shape or form. I don't have to worry at all when I get a sore throat or a stuffed up nose because I can just run straight to the emergency room. I don't actually have to get in touch with them all that often, only when I need to confirm something or get a new card sent out and they call occasionally to check up on me and my service. They are very friendly. Having peace of mind about your health is the best feeling in the world knowing you are covered no matter what. Knowing you won't go in debt staying healthy is an amazing feeling.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

It helps with some of the extra medical expenses that I might have. I just don't want to worry my family if I needed more money to cover my medical expenses. They are good with the payouts that I do need. They respond very fast and they do care about your privacy. They make sure that only you and other people you allow to see any of the plans you have gotten from them. It is always good to have some backup plan just in case something happens. So the premiums are good for what they are.

Transamerica Medicare Supplemental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Transamerica has roots going back to the beginning of the 19th century and took its current form and name in 1952. It became a part of Aegon N.V. in 1999. The company headquarters are located in Baltimore.

• Retirement solutions: In addition to Medicare supplement insurance policies, Transamerica also offers several financial services and retirement accounts. Product options include mutual funds, annuities, retirement accounts and more.

• Guaranteed acceptance: Customers who apply for a policy during open enrollment just before or in the six months following their 65th birthday are guaranteed to be approved for a Transamerica Medigap policy.

• Discounts: Transamerica offers discounts to individuals who enroll before they turn 65. Coverage does not begin until the customer’s 65th birthday, but they can purchase a policy in the three months preceding their birthday. The company also offers discounts for certain payment methods and/or payment schedules.

• Quotes: Interested consumers can get an instant quote online by entering some personal information into the company’s quote tool. The quote tool shows both standard and discounted rates for each available plan option.

• Best for: Transamerica is best for retirees and people with qualifying disabilities who can pay their premiums semi-annually or who are 64 or 65.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Transamerica Medicare Supplemental Insurance Company Information