Learn More

3.7/5 (273 ratings)

About The Hartford - Disability

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

The Hartford - Disability Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford - Disability?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Date 9/9/2021. I has submitted payroll copies as well as a July 13,2021 copy of off set deduction stated on the Advantage site. On 8/15-8/21 pay statement 340.46 was deduced from pay for the stated off set flat rate deduction of 340.46. This means the off set was paid in full. Yet deductions of 340.46 were taken out again on pay period 8/22/2021 and again on pay period 8/29-9/04/2021.Making a total of 680.92 more taken than was required. I have contacted my case work about this issue. 1st on 8/24/2021 then on 9/3/2021. Again on 9/7/2021 and as yet this issue had not been fixed or replied to. I would like to have funds owed to me paid.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

What this company gets away with should be illegal! My husband has been out of work with 2 surgeries for his back. This company took 14 months to decide to deny his disability claim after forcing the doctors to fill out the same paperwork over and over again bc they can’t keep track of records. The doctor and PT say he can’t go back to work right now but rest assured the experts at the Hartford say he should be just fine. My husband is one of the hardest working people I know. To watch him struggle just to get around and have the Hartford tell him it’s all in his head is heartbreaking! If he could work trust me he would be. Also good luck contacting anybody from the company. They will respond weeks if not months later. This company is a joke! Don’t waste your time and money on this company!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Do not use the Hartford for your disability insurance! They will take your money and do everything in their power not to pay when you file a claim. First of all they are completely incompetent. I have had to call twice a week since I went on disability to follow up on the things that they said they would do. If they say they will call you back something send something they more than likely have not done it. On a couple of occasions I was told that my paperwork had not arrived but when I inquired further I that my paperwork had arrived they just had not reviewed it yet. My therapist said everything that was asked for and more yet they denied my claim twice. My therapist sent an extensive letter outlining my depressive disorder and my symptoms which prevented me from working yet they still denied my claim.

The stress of having to continuously follow up on the Hartford and the status of my claim has aggravated my anxiety and depressive disorder. I am under extreme duress facing a divorce from my alcoholic husband, taking care of a toddler by myself and my brother passed away 2 weeks ago what more do I have to go through in order to get the disability insurance that I am due?! I am in tears writing this right now but I will get what I am owed!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

LISTEN AND LISTEN WELL-Do not use The Hartford! Not effective communicators and unfortunately are taking your money or your companies money with every intent not to pay out these claims! Please contact the Attorney General's Office and report them as soon as possible. Corporate crooks!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Over one month ago I had a severe reaction to new medication which also caused a psychotic break so severe I had no idea where I was even if I was at home. I am still recovering from cognitive and physical impairments. The representative will not return phone calls or messages. Customer services says they need more information but they won’t tell me specific information. I’ve made several trips to my dr to have them complete the same forms. The dr will fax them. I also email them and put them into regular mail. I have worked for my company for several years and I actually enjoy my job and look forward to getting back. I am 45 and have never had to file a disability claim until now. While this company gives me the runaround, I am stressing over whether or not my mortgage will get paid or if I should pay the electric bill or buy groceries.

Original review: May 21, 2021

I had an accident that caused a laceration with muscle, nerve and tendon damage to my dominant hand. I have gotten refusal to pay letters from them for the ER visit and the surgery. They are now denying another surgery to repair and correct what the first surgeon did not do.

Original review: May 3, 2021

Hartford LTD. Long Term Disability. I purchased years ago. When Covid hit I started spraying my bus with disinfect per my boss. Well from spraying like 5 times a day it injured my lungs. I tried to use my LTD since my Dr took me off work. They have harassed my doctor my Pulminary Dr. My Dr filled out all necessary firms but now they state he only gave 1 word answers. I dont recommend this insurance company. You will not get the disability.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Having purchased the insurance through my employer I have been diagnosed with cancer. I’ve lost a kidney, and a portion of my bladder. I am currently going through treatments for my bladder for 6 weeks four times this year and The Hartford has refused to continue payments to me costing me $1,800 per month suggesting I go back to work at a meat packing plant during a pandemic. I am being gamed by this company and will continue to turn the screws until I am made whole.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

They don't pay. They harass your Dr. over and over again. Total scam, how can they be in business? Government or consumer affairs should go after them. You think you have insurance if you're sick, but you don't. Class action suit anyone?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I faxed all the necessary paperwork on Thursday 12/10/2020. I called today. 12/14/2020 to make sure they received all the paperwork. I was told they received nothing. It is supposed to take 24 hours to show up. I have exhausted all of my finances. My hr Co worker even called them. And we both were told check back tomorrow. Thanks a lot The Hartford for giving me my 30 days of pay. Hope you all have a great Holiday. I'm trying to take care of my spouse who is a amputee.

The Hartford author review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor