1.23/5
Based on 189 reviews that contain star ratings

The Hartford - Disability

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

269 The Hartford - Disability Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was contacted by the Hartford and any Social Security or benefits you get outside of what the Hartford pays you they will claim back and your back pay that you receive. They have horrible customer service and always threaten to take your disability away if you don't get doctors' notes when they want them rather than when they are scheduled by your doctor and furthermore they make harassing calls monthly or by mail.

I don't understand how this company can legally do some of the things or practices they have done with me and I would highly recommend that you review your long-term disability and short-term disability products that are offered by your employer before you agree to use these people as your long-term or short-term disability. The final thing I would have to say about the Hartford is just keep in mind that they will take every drop of money that you get from a claim. They will put a lien against any litigation that you have and they will also take all back pay and attempt to pay the least amount possible under whatever laws that they're protecting themselves with.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I PURCHASED upgraded coverage from my employer to the maximum level for short and long term disability from the Hartford. Upon having a serious medical issue which almost took my life resulting in several hospital stays I unfortunately have to use this policy. Upon my first filing for short term coverage I immediately ran into faxes not being received. My doctor initially indicated the minimum time was 8 months yet not only were faxes not received again and again I have to resubmit the same paperwork every month.

Now having transitioned into long term disability I am again having the issue of Hartford claiming no faxes have been received even though my doctor's office has sent them 4 separate times. Not until emailing did they acknowledge receipt. I was told it would take 5 day after receipt to process yet it has been almost 12 business days and still nothing. I have heard by my doctor this is common with Hartford. It has been over 2 months since last payment and my family and I are suffering and stuck.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I paid into long-term disability for 17 yrs. In 2013 I had a tragic accident. I broke my neck at C-2, and crushed T6 and T8. This brought my life crashing down. I am on pain medication 24/7. I have severe balance issues and severe depression. The Hartford has taken excellent care of me. At one point they even covered the cost to have my medical information sent when I didn't have the money. I can't say enough about the service they have provided to me. Without this help, I don't think I could have made it this far. I highly recommend this company to employers and individual clients.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I've been on disability since May 1st 2018 for my back. Last month my dr extended it and faxed all the paperwork to the Hartford. I received notification via text that they received it and I called to see if anything else was required. They told me "No, they had everything they needed" and I specifically asked "if you do, will you let me know?" and they said "yes". Four weeks later still no payments so I called and now my claim rep doesn't return the call. I finally call and talk to someone else who put me thru to my rep directly who then tells me that they "didn't get the required paperwork".

I know this is a lie because my doctor showed me what was faxed. But "now they have the paperwork they need and she was going to review it that day". And PROMISED to call me that night. Needless to say, she never did. I called the next day, once again calling to speak to someone human and not a machine. The woman told me my claim had been approved and payment was pending and I should have it by Wednesday. Wednesday came and nothing so I call again and I'm told I will definitely have the money by Friday. Well, I get NO text telling me that payment is pending.

I am in a panic. I am a single person, self providing. I have no one who can loan me money. I call today, Thursday, and I am told my claim is approved but "there is a hold on the money". No reason is given so I ask for a supervisor and SURPRISE!! I get her voicemail. No callback today. Tomorrow is Friday so I will call again but not only can I not pay bills like electric, house, car, I can't even afford my meds. Worst company ever!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I paid for long term disability insurance for years and became disabled in end of 2002 from Continental Office Furniture in Columbus Ohio. In 2008 a case manager from Hartford, rude woman called me and said literally, "GFY we are not paying you. Come sue us." Zero Doctors consulted and no review of my medical status AT ALL. I am such a dumbass and an optimist, I never sued anyone in my whole life is was against my Religious beliefs as I was raised. It is now the end of 2018 and since her call I continued to decline suffering extreme hardship and no ability to pay my Drs.

I just got out of the hospital nearly dying at age 57. 10 years they screwed me out of over 250,000. They made me suffer as much as my illness. They should be lined up and shot or imprisoned for what they did to me. If your company offers The Hartford band together and demand a reputable company RIGHT NOW. I would give negative stars. When I finally got to lawyer they said, "Sorry, you're screwed."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I've been on disability since 7/17/2018 and still haven't received payment from Hartford. I have a very lazy agent!! He doesn't put forth any effort and keep asking for more paperwork. This is a stall tactic, if the Hartford paperwork that is given isn't sufficient they need to change the paperwork. This company refuses to pay out and will do anything from paying. I work for a bakery and I'm really hoping they will pull their account with Hartford. Both of my doctors submitted paperwork and Hartford is still claiming it's not enough!! I call B/S and it beyond my why a clinical team needs to re-review what a doctor already signed off on. HARTFORD IS A TRASH COMPANY AND NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I was attacked at work by one of my grooming clients back on February 20 2018. I now have a permanent condition called CRPS. There is no cure for what I have only pain management. I'm supposed to get surgery to put in a spinal stimulation device to help ease my pain that gets so bad. I can't function or take care of my kids without help from family let alone do my job since it affects my left arm and hand because I was tired of the no phone calls the countless emails. I got an attorney to make sure I was taken care of.

Well since I'm not playing by their rules they have denied to approve any meds for pain and procedures I need to get done before my surgery. I'm struggling everyday just to somewhat be normal. I was supposed to get an psychologist's evaluation and because it was the wrong kind of evaluation I figured they didn't need it. Now I get nothing til they get it. Even though my doctor said they need a new different one and that one doesn't matter. So tell me why they want that evaluation so bad even if the doctor said it's the wrong evaluation. They can't use it. That they think it's ok to make me suffer with unbelievable pain every second of every day.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have been paying into The Hartford thru my employer for eight years. I was born with a congenital heart condition that required 3 cardiac ablations to make my condition more manageable. These procedures took place thru 2015 thru 2016. I received short term for about two weeks thru each procedure with no problem. 2018 I go into heart failure. Spend a week in the hospital for fluid retention and organ failure. I go back on short term. It takes me almost 3 months to get back to work. I go back to work totally fatigued everyday and realize I can't do full time work. I call The Hartford. They tell me, "You can work part time and we'll piggyback your pay so you'll break about even."

On June 1st my rep Kimberly ** told me, "Ms. ** there's nothing you need to do. You are just gonna transition over to long term automatically." I go see my Dr. Fill out the paperwork, fax it back get a confirmation that the fax went thru and I wait. On June 8th I call to check the status and the lady on the phone tells me My case has been closed because they never received the paperwork. She then reopens my case and tells me a Corrine It's an is handling my case... This goes on for two weeks. Corrine then calls me and says my case wasn't given to her until June 23rd... She then says that there is no automatic transition to long term and that the process is more in depth and I have to start from scratch. She then says she never had an email address so that she could reach out to me. Even though all my communications while on short term were via email...

So I take the proper steps and submit all paperwork. She insisted she is not receiving the paperwork and literary gives me at least 10 different fax numbers to use over a months time. Then she says things like, "Oh I only got half." This goes on for almost 3 months now. My HR manager gets involved. My Drs are annoyed at sending the same info literally 10 to 15 times with no resolve. I just received two letters from the Hartford stating they need me to retrieve more records and send them in for analysis. My case is still pending. INCOMPETENT. INCOMPETENT. Absolutely terrible service. Constant run around. You will lose it all waiting for help from them. Do not buy this insurance. It's a scam.

Original review: July 25, 2018

If you are considering paying out of pocket for disability insurance PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DO NOT go with this company! I have been on short term disability for about 9 months. They have denied me based on their "qualified" reviewers. They stated that he said I do not have a severe enough disability and can go back to work. He is denying everything. In fact, he just signed off on a disability placard with the DMV under the "severe disability" section. They will do whatever they can to not pay you. As everyone has stated below, they don't return phone calls, they can not answer your questions about reviews and their rationalization, you are constantly switched to different analyst, you have to explain your case and issues over and over again and They have no concern that you have bills to pay. They string you along for weeks.

To the Gentleman below... PLEASE PLEASE contact me. I am willing to do a lawsuit against this company. Here is my phone number... Yes I'm listing this number because this company is a joke and truly interfering with people's lives. ** By the way, I would give this company a 0 if possible. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well as the insurance commission if that is possible.

Original review: July 25, 2018

The Hartford will drag claims out for weeks, submit request after request until they receive something that can count as 'deniable', to avoid paying. If they are pushed they will pay a small portion of the claim only in hopes the person in need goes away. If you plan to use this company, have a good lawyer on standby!

Original review: July 17, 2018

This company is the worst! I am glad that I found this forum, it’s true, they never return phone calls. I never asked for taxes to be taken out of my weekly payment but they were taking them out anyways (I needed the full amount to survive while I was out for the 6 weeks). When I inquired as to why my payment was lower than my previous claim from a year ago, they said that I requested taxes being taken out. I never requested that state and federal taxes be taken out when I initiated my claim but somewhere, someone decided that they should.

When I did reach my “handler” she acted like she could care less. I requested that my initial phone call be found and listened to because you know our phone calls are supposedly recorded for training purposes. I also asked for my handlers supervisor to call me. That was last week. I left messages with both the handler and the supervisor and still no return calls. Because I wanted them stop taking taxes out of my check they have stopped paying me and have not returned my calls. I, like all of you, am totally on board with any class action lawsuit, the Hartford stinks.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have been out on Worker's Compensation since 11/3/09. I was being paid for my travel time to and from Doctor's up until 2014. Now it's been a lot of up and down. They owe me now over $3500 in expenses for travel. They will not answer my emails. I get a runaround with who is my advisor. What can I do? Of course if I don't to the Doctor's Appointments, they will not pay me & will shut my Worker's compensation off. I'm now having to file Bankruptcy because I've used credit cards to keep my car up, gas, oil changes, alignments, etc.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have not been able to bend my wrist since 4/29/18, it is now 6/29/18. The Hartford never answers their phone, their voicemails are always full. I fax the paperwork immediately after my Doctor appointment. They put my paperwork "under review" and they have held up my pay numerous times. They do not contact my company to let them know what is going on, I get multiple calls from my company asking me what's going on when The Hartford should be telling them. All I get is the runaround and do not receive my pay. If anyone wants to get a class action lawsuit started, I will definitely be onboard.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I was diagnosed with Tracheal Stenosis in August of 2017. I had emergency surgery, resulting in time lost from work. I submitted a claim to the Hartford, first of all no one ever answers the phone! I left countless messages! You are lucky if you ever hear back from them! I received a payment on that claim in December 2017! I returned back to work on Sept 18, 2017!! I had to have another surgery on December 22, 2017 again resulting in more time off of work. It is March and I still have not received a payment. I have called almost daily, I have left countless voicemails, I am sent faxes asking for someone who knows what they are doing to call me back, that still hasn't happened. I am beyond frustrated, not only do we have to deal with illness we shouldn't have this extra stress! I AM SHOCKED THEY HAVEN'T HAD A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT YET.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

The Hartford & its “handlers” are the worst Company/people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I have been approved for short term disability since Nov 3rd 2017. To date 1/19/2018 I have received 6 weeks' worth of payment. Do the math. Ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

My initial call - SO many personal questions! Like an FBI interrogation my doctors don’t ask all those questions. They lead aka LIE you to believe a claim will process and the questions are necessary to process your claim to payout while on disability. LIES. After all the questions and constant form request sent to my surgeon office so how it was deem I wasn’t eligible for payment. However, no reimbursement for the money I PAY OUT OF MY POCKET FOR FORMS COMPLETED BY MD OFFICES. HARTFORD cost me!! I would never recommend Hartford for any insurance. I wish my employer wouldn’t use Hartford but I think they probably save companies a lot of $$$. Crooks. Shame on you Hartford. Hartford would like one to think they are the only way to take time off for medical reason. Sorry MD notes still mean something! Maybe check with your legal department before you catch a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

It is currently day before Thanksgiving. My claim has been "Under Review" for the past week or so now. They have all paperwork that is needed. This claim is just an extension, of a previous claim. I have been expecting to get payment from them since last week. Since this has not been paid yet, I am not going to be able to put food on my family's table for Thanksgiving. I had to borrow money just to get my sick son some medicine for his cough. I am getting nowhere with them. The only response I'm getting is wait another 5 business days. Now, since banks are closed until next week, I won't have money available to cover basic needs. The Hartford does not seem to care. I have been contacting them daily begging them to tell me if they need additional information and get same response. Which is, someone will contact you in 5 days. I am going to plead with my employer to find other benefits providers.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Do NOT ENROLL into this company. They are a RIPOFF!!! Customer Service in the claims department is horrible. You will never get to speak to anyone on the phone. You will also speak to their Voicemail... If you leave a message you will not get a call back until 4 weeks later. Maybe by that time you will be back at work!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Diagnosed with Ischemic Heart Disease (Dilated Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease). Last day of reported work 9/11/2017 when transferred to Veteran's Administration Hospital Manhattan, NY for further evaluation for heart bypass surgery. Heart function was so low (only 23%) as to deem surgery bypass surgery life threatening. Pacemaker/defibrillator implanted 9/15/2017. Further invasive procedure on 10/4/2017 determined that heart bypass would not improve diagnosis. Hartford approved initial claim to 10/21/2017.

On 10/13/2017 cardiologist completed their requested form for an out of work extension to 12/18/2017. Hartford has played a game of needing additional direct conversation with cardiologist to confirm her reasoning for out of work extension for a period of 3 months after implant, and 2 plus months after last surgical procedure. At this time pacemaker testing and prescription optimization are still assessing maximum heart stability. Yet Hartford has become the professional in the room and decided that the extra 2 months recovery is not necessary. The results of their opinion is testimony to insurance companies taking on the role of "health" professionals. Their results could be deadly and for that they should be held accountable.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had my GALL BLADDER REMOVED! These people denied my claim and then tell me they give 21 days or 3 weeks for recovery without the doctor’s statement. I got two weeks before they needed more information from the doctor. Then when doctor didn’t explain in detail why a GALL BLADDER removal surgery needs 4 weeks to heal they denied me. My doctor just stated my return date and didn’t go in detail but any human should know it takes at least 4 weeks to heal a gall bladder surgery. Shame on Hartford.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I submitted a short term disability claim with the Hartford whom my employer has a group policy with for its employees. I have a seizure disorder and had a seizure resulting in a trip in an ambulance to a local hospital. Apparently The Hartford has no medical staff review of the claims. Why? I have been out of work for over 6 weeks, yet The Hartford informed me that there is nothing in my claim substantiating my claim. Anyone who suffers from seizures (grand mal) knows that you don't wake up the next morning as if nothing happened, and you are in perfect health.

My claim has been denied and due to the time off of work I no longer receive payroll and therefore my medical benefits (as well as other regular payroll deductions - including medical insurance) have to be paid out of pocket. With no "supportive assistance" I am unable to "Relax and Stay Positive" as The Hartford's marketing documents say. I have requested my employer to withdraw future contributions coming out of my payroll to this BS company. They willingly take your money, but don't dare ask for proactive, helpful consideration. I have had to dip into my retirement savings to get me through this very difficult period for my household. Thank God for Fidelity companies... Shame on The Hartford!

For the record I agree with other reviews on this site saying that it is next to impossible to reach The Hartford's staff 'working' on my claim. Also, I doubt that they make an active effort to follow-up on any information provided to them by physicians. For example, I have been told that they make requests to physicians for their documentation relating to the claim. My physician informed me that no such request has been received in his office since I filed the claim 5 weeks ago. I proactively had the physician's office fax the info into The Hartford without their express request, yet even with this information, The Hartford has made it apparent that they have not read the material, yet they tell me that the claim is unsubstantiated.

If you are an employer seeking a disability insurance policy for your group of employees, I would look elsewhere if you are interested in truly seeking a company that is compassionate, professional and displays some medical expertise in the review of submitted claims. Sick employees are only made sicker dealing with The Hartford due to the unnecessary emotional and financial stress this company creates for claimants. Truly a shame!

Original review: June 25, 2017

In a previous review of The Hartford from a truck driver who was denied to return to work by a DOT law yet the Hartford denied his DB claim, this is actually your employer and the Hartford working together. My 33 yr old husband had a stroke. He's doing mostly fine. Physically he's perfect, cognitively, not so well. First, no matter what, he's always driven big truck like a champ. He was told he had no lacking physical issues to keep him from work but the recommended time to hang out after a stroke without a seizure, is one year. There is a clause included in fine print for transportation divisions of companies that a DOT Dr's denial to return to work doesn't necessarily mean you can't do another job within the company. So if you can do another job, you are disqualified. The year recommendation everyone follows isn't even a law, only a recommendation. A good one but damn.

So we are going on two months from his initial short term ending and bring paid to today. I could never, ever get our rep on the phone. She would purposely call every night around the same time but we were never sure which phone she was calling, if she was calling, and it was always around dinner bath need time for young children. Her voicemail said she'd call back before ten am on her phone recording, she never called that early. She never answered her phone, we didn't have an email address or another way to get a hold of anyone, and when she'd leave a message, she knew what we needed or wanted to know and she would every time likely say who she was and that she called... Lots of nonsense.

Finally I called her right back, she of course didn't answer and we were due our next payment soon, the one that never came and we are still waiting for. I told her she was granted permission to leave any information needed on our recordings. Please stop calling at that time and call back within a decent time. I was pissed. I couldn't get a hold of his HR people. Finally I did and poor lady didn't have a clue. She called the day before our Dr's appt. I told her I was nervous and she asked why, all I had to do is make sure he goes to the appt and they'll fax everything in and they did. Then we waited and waited.

I scoured the site one evening and see where someone could just call in and ask a question so I did and someone answered. He listened, I cried and cried, we've worked so hard and we were about to lose everything. He was for the Hartford but he was wonderful. He kept telling me I should be able to see our workers team leaders within the claim, with their extensions. I told him I had no idea of who that was... He got me numbers, he got me answers, he was awesome.

The following day I called a team leader and was denied. He can do other jobs, well the closest warehouse and not just a drop yard of trucks is 6 hours away. Doing another job is out of the way. The team leader then informed me he wasn't actually her team leader anymore. The Hartford doesn't keep the same people on the same claims for long so they don't build a rapport... It's easier to see the person as a number if they are revolving, I was told how to appeal... And to do it quickly... I looked at the dr's report and noticed, he has a neurologist appt set, is diagnosed with cognitive issues, it's on record every time I called or talked with anyone asking if I needed him to release me to talk on his behalf and why, and they denied us.

I will tell you he is so different cognitively, it's like having a mildly handicapped teenager. I'll say that because he is able to function, knows right from wrong, but he opposes and fights every little thing. He can't follow more than two simple steps without messing up. He will mess up complicated steps, he is defiant and acts like a teen. He decided to try to apply somewhere else and he asked me if we lived in North or South America... He was serious. We haven't had the neurologist appt yet, we shouldn't have been denied. All the information isn't in. This is the Hartford.

Oh... And we are losing everything. We are having to split up because there isn't enough room or patience to deal with a handicapped teenager (my husband isn't a teenager and was intellectually bright) and two small children. And we aren't talking down the road, he is having to move home to the north, 22 hours away. We've lost one vehicle. I've always been awesome with bills but it gets to a few months of promises and suddenly they forget the years you paid on time. My everything is broken up for greedy **. And I don't think anyone else will care about his condition like I will. Sure they'll get their money for helping him but he will be like this forever and I don't have an education or skills to barely support us.

I haven't slept in the months, I'm not eating, I'm driving it off options. Whoever reads this call your lawyer from the beginning, err to the side of caution so you don't lose everything you've worked for, hurting your children for life. They are already in a bad way from watching him go through the stroke, now they are losing him. My daughter had straight As for two plus years. The semester he had his stroke, she got her first C. This isn't a company who cares.

Original review: June 20, 2017

While checking to see if The Hartford has a history of doing the same thing as to me, I noted it was pervasive, not just occasionally that Claims Department rescinded or changed doctor/patient plans of Return to Work/retroactively closing a claim and demanding repayment; saying "Our decision based on Dr reports" and others items that have nothing to do with me. i.e. "keeping my license current" and much more. I called the Dr's office to see if he/they made the statements claimed by The Hartford reps and the written and verbal record refutes The Hartford written/verbal statements. After reviewing Consumer Affairs reviews - I believe The Hartford-Disability Claims Department is/has been dishonest with policyholders in their climate of culture where many claims are closed retroactively after a patient/doctor/ability agree on a Return to Work date, such as happened with me last month.

The harm and cost is substantial to the already health/ability of claimant and the damage and/or sabotage, to the client (as in my case), will possibly thwart all attempts at re-employment by forcing an attempt to work prior to recovery (per the Dr). The Hartford thus causing failed employment and inability to be employable in the future. This culture problem cost everyone!!! When a company is too big to be held accountable to the public it will cost everyone.

Original review: May 31, 2017

My husband injured himself-twice-at work last year, lower back. He filed a worker's comp claim- his employer uses The Hartford. The claim rep sent him a whole packet of information about coverage on medication, which doctors to see, etc. We contact this rep- Heather **- and ask when his benefits start. Several times we were told to re-submit his claim forms, as she did not have them. We got nowhere.

After about the third visit to the ER five months later, we got fed up and contacted an attorney, who is absolutely wonderful and was able to get my husband treatment OUTSIDE of the Hartford. He too was being told by the claim rep-now we have a new one, Tanya **- that they never received the paperwork I faxed to them several times.

Unfortunately my husband has gotten worse and is need of surgery, most likely a fusion. We were told this by the attorney's doctor, and by the Independent Medical Exam doctor- who was assigned to our case by the Hartford. While the case is slowly progressing through the IL worker's comp court, my husband has been out of work for almost two months, money is getting very tight, and I have to watch him suffer every day.

He can barely walk. He can no longer live a normal life. We don't know when his surgery will finally get approved. Every day I have to watch him suffer because this money-grubbing dumpster fire of a company made every excuse possible to not help us. My husband is not a pill-popping abuser of the system looking for a handout. He is genuinely hurt, and we are both hurt by this experience. Never will I ever refer anyone to this company. Rest assured I will be contacting the Illinois Dept of Insurance, even if the case settles in our favor.

Original review: May 22, 2017

There is a culture of bureaucratic red tape at The Hartford. I advise any company that's truly interested in their employee's well being to consider other options for their short term disability benefits. The reviews online speak for themselves. No matter how much doctor's notes nor how clear they are it is never enough. My Return to Work Certificate from my company's Workplace Clinic/doctor, who is a DOT Certified Medical Examiner that I CANNOT return to my driving position temporarily.

This is a legal issue and 100% legitimate and still they ask for more information. There is NO doubt that I cannot return so why don't they pay what is owed to me while gathering whatever else their policies require? The answer is simple; they have attorneys on retainer and most people get worn down trying so it is financially lucrative to delay & deny. I invite you, your company, the government or anyone this is of interest to research this company's practices as I have been on the back burner for an extension for over 10 weeks.

Original review: May 4, 2017

My husband has been paying for short-term disability with The Hartford for over 15 years. In March he had surgery and just received a payment for less than $300, this week for one week. Not to mention he has to pay them out of it weekly. We were told the 30-day waiting period is not payable. Bills are piling up, as they request more documentation in order to pay for weeks coming up. This is information that they've already received. I feel this company is scamming individuals for money. I would never recommend them to anyone. Has anyone sued this company before?

Original review: March 22, 2017

After suffering months of exposure to high levels of mold that I am deathly allergic to, I suffered an extreme reaction which resulted in asthma and vocal cord damage. Hartford was the insurance carrier for the company and denied treatment for over 4 months. During that time, I had to seek (and pay for) treatment on my own. After hiring an attorney they paid for a very limited number of treatments and medications and then began denying them. They even denied them when their own physician prescribed them.

It has been close to THREE years and I am still fighting to get the treatments and medications I need from them. I get excuse after excuse including that they haven't gotten the medical records from one of the physicians I was treated by (a specialist in asthma). However, I know they were sent to them on multiple times and they were even sent to Hartford's own physician. Every pharmacy, physician or treatment provider who has tried to work with Hartford has said this is absolutely the worst experience working with a Workman's Compensation claim they have ever had.

Medical bills have piled up and I have numerous ones in collections as a result of Hartford's denial of claims. My symptoms have gotten progressively worse because the treatment has been delayed and as a result, I may have to have surgery on my vocal cords. Reading the complaints about Hartford, it seems that there are a multitude of similar stories. It leads me to believe that Hartford categorically denies prescribed medications and treatments as a way to increase their own revenues at the expense of those who have been injured at work. I think there may be grounds for a class action lawsuit if someone looked close enough.

Original review: March 11, 2017

They don't care how they hurt or Treat people. I was nearly killed at work because the company said there were no underground power lines and there were and I struck a 13,500 volt feeder. They have denied treatment ordered by doctors and constantly.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I was receiving short-term and then long-term benefits from Hartford for 2 years and on January 10th I was told that my benefits were terminated because my attending physician didn't fill out the proper paperwork and return it to Hartford in 5 days. But the reason that he didn't was because Hartford sent the paperwork to the wrong address for the last three months that Hartford needed filled out and I only found out through my lawyer and they won't reinstate my benefits because of this (something that they caused and won't take the blame for it) but I know that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

This has taken a heavy burden on me and my family, totally changed our lives in a way that's indescribable. It should be against the law for them to do things of this sort and probably worse than this to anyone and their families and not be held accountable for this type of behavior. They should pay dearly or someone should be held accountable and lose their jobs for such an act or correct their mistake and take responsibility for what has happened. Like I said it's really tearing my family apart and the only thing they can say is wait on an appeal which could take up to 180 days. If they can't make a decision by then, they will make one in 45 days. I'm just praying that we still be living and still a family. Lord y'all pray for us. AMEN!!! SURE WISH I COULD FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST HARTFORD!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

After 32 years of paying disability premiums to Hartford, they find reasons to deny my claim in order to avoid payout of benefits -- now, when I need it the most. Insurance companies are all tending this way, but Hartford is the All-In-One Leader of the Band where denial is concerned. Just look at their stats. How can these people who work there and send out one denial after another live with themselves? With the kind of pain I'm living with right now, and the information my doctors have sent to them, how could they ever come to that conclusion? It is companies like Hartford who keep lawsuits higher and help attorneys live in grand style. What a scam! Hartford, you are the worst!

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery,, people with a chronic condition and people who cannot work at all.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky