The Hartford - Disability
  • 1 star
Based on 173 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

The Hartford - Disability

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 23, 2017

253 The Hartford - Disability Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

It is currently day before Thanksgiving. My claim has been "Under Review" for the past week or so now. They have all paperwork that is needed. This claim is just an extension, of a previous claim. I have been expecting to get payment from them since last week. Since this has not been paid yet, I am not going to be able to put food on my family's table for Thanksgiving. I had to borrow money just to get my sick son some medicine for his cough. I am getting nowhere with them. The only response I'm getting is wait another 5 business days. Now, since banks are closed until next week, I won't have money available to cover basic needs. The Hartford does not seem to care. I have been contacting them daily begging them to tell me if they need additional information and get same response. Which is, someone will contact you in 5 days. I am going to plead with my employer to find other benefits providers.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Do NOT ENROLL into this company. They are a RIPOFF!!! Customer Service in the claims department is horrible. You will never get to speak to anyone on the phone. You will also speak to their Voicemail... If you leave a message you will not get a call back until 4 weeks later. Maybe by that time you will be back at work!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Diagnosed with Ischemic Heart Disease (Dilated Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease). Last day of reported work 9/11/2017 when transferred to Veteran's Administration Hospital Manhattan, NY for further evaluation for heart bypass surgery. Heart function was so low (only 23%) as to deem surgery bypass surgery life threatening. Pacemaker/defibrillator implanted 9/15/2017. Further invasive procedure on 10/4/2017 determined that heart bypass would not improve diagnosis. Hartford approved initial claim to 10/21/2017.

On 10/13/2017 cardiologist completed their requested form for an out of work extension to 12/18/2017. Hartford has played a game of needing additional direct conversation with cardiologist to confirm her reasoning for out of work extension for a period of 3 months after implant, and 2 plus months after last surgical procedure. At this time pacemaker testing and prescription optimization are still assessing maximum heart stability. Yet Hartford has become the professional in the room and decided that the extra 2 months recovery is not necessary. The results of their opinion is testimony to insurance companies taking on the role of "health" professionals. Their results could be deadly and for that they should be held accountable.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had my GALL BLADDER REMOVED! These people denied my claim and then tell me they give 21 days or 3 weeks for recovery without the doctor’s statement. I got two weeks before they needed more information from the doctor. Then when doctor didn’t explain in detail why a GALL BLADDER removal surgery needs 4 weeks to heal they denied me. My doctor just stated my return date and didn’t go in detail but any human should know it takes at least 4 weeks to heal a gall bladder surgery. Shame on Hartford.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I submitted a short term disability claim with the Hartford whom my employer has a group policy with for its employees. I have a seizure disorder and had a seizure resulting in a trip in an ambulance to a local hospital. Apparently The Hartford has no medical staff review of the claims. Why? I have been out of work for over 6 weeks, yet The Hartford informed me that there is nothing in my claim substantiating my claim. Anyone who suffers from seizures (grand mal) knows that you don't wake up the next morning as if nothing happened, and you are in perfect health.

My claim has been denied and due to the time off of work I no longer receive payroll and therefore my medical benefits (as well as other regular payroll deductions - including medical insurance) have to be paid out of pocket. With no "supportive assistance" I am unable to "Relax and Stay Positive" as The Hartford's marketing documents say. I have requested my employer to withdraw future contributions coming out of my payroll to this BS company. They willingly take your money, but don't dare ask for proactive, helpful consideration. I have had to dip into my retirement savings to get me through this very difficult period for my household. Thank God for Fidelity companies... Shame on The Hartford!

For the record I agree with other reviews on this site saying that it is next to impossible to reach The Hartford's staff 'working' on my claim. Also, I doubt that they make an active effort to follow-up on any information provided to them by physicians. For example, I have been told that they make requests to physicians for their documentation relating to the claim. My physician informed me that no such request has been received in his office since I filed the claim 5 weeks ago. I proactively had the physician's office fax the info into The Hartford without their express request, yet even with this information, The Hartford has made it apparent that they have not read the material, yet they tell me that the claim is unsubstantiated.

If you are an employer seeking a disability insurance policy for your group of employees, I would look elsewhere if you are interested in truly seeking a company that is compassionate, professional and displays some medical expertise in the review of submitted claims. Sick employees are only made sicker dealing with The Hartford due to the unnecessary emotional and financial stress this company creates for claimants. Truly a shame!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: June 25, 2017

In a previous review of The Hartford from a truck driver who was denied to return to work by a DOT law yet the Hartford denied his DB claim, this is actually your employer and the Hartford working together. My 33 yr old husband had a stroke. He's doing mostly fine. Physically he's perfect, cognitively, not so well. First, no matter what, he's always driven big truck like a champ. He was told he had no lacking physical issues to keep him from work but the recommended time to hang out after a stroke without a seizure, is one year. There is a clause included in fine print for transportation divisions of companies that a DOT Dr's denial to return to work doesn't necessarily mean you can't do another job within the company. So if you can do another job, you are disqualified. The year recommendation everyone follows isn't even a law, only a recommendation. A good one but damn.

So we are going on two months from his initial short term ending and bring paid to today. I could never, ever get our rep on the phone. She would purposely call every night around the same time but we were never sure which phone she was calling, if she was calling, and it was always around dinner bath need time for young children. Her voicemail said she'd call back before ten am on her phone recording, she never called that early. She never answered her phone, we didn't have an email address or another way to get a hold of anyone, and when she'd leave a message, she knew what we needed or wanted to know and she would every time likely say who she was and that she called... Lots of nonsense.

Finally I called her right back, she of course didn't answer and we were due our next payment soon, the one that never came and we are still waiting for. I told her she was granted permission to leave any information needed on our recordings. Please stop calling at that time and call back within a decent time. I was pissed. I couldn't get a hold of his HR people. Finally I did and poor lady didn't have a clue. She called the day before our Dr's appt. I told her I was nervous and she asked why, all I had to do is make sure he goes to the appt and they'll fax everything in and they did. Then we waited and waited.

I scoured the site one evening and see where someone could just call in and ask a question so I did and someone answered. He listened, I cried and cried, we've worked so hard and we were about to lose everything. He was for the Hartford but he was wonderful. He kept telling me I should be able to see our workers team leaders within the claim, with their extensions. I told him I had no idea of who that was... He got me numbers, he got me answers, he was awesome.

The following day I called a team leader and was denied. He can do other jobs, well the closest warehouse and not just a drop yard of trucks is 6 hours away. Doing another job is out of the way. The team leader then informed me he wasn't actually her team leader anymore. The Hartford doesn't keep the same people on the same claims for long so they don't build a rapport... It's easier to see the person as a number if they are revolving, I was told how to appeal... And to do it quickly... I looked at the dr's report and noticed, he has a neurologist appt set, is diagnosed with cognitive issues, it's on record every time I called or talked with anyone asking if I needed him to release me to talk on his behalf and why, and they denied us.

I will tell you he is so different cognitively, it's like having a mildly handicapped teenager. I'll say that because he is able to function, knows right from wrong, but he opposes and fights every little thing. He can't follow more than two simple steps without messing up. He will mess up complicated steps, he is defiant and acts like a teen. He decided to try to apply somewhere else and he asked me if we lived in North or South America... He was serious. We haven't had the neurologist appt yet, we shouldn't have been denied. All the information isn't in. This is the Hartford.

Oh... And we are losing everything. We are having to split up because there isn't enough room or patience to deal with a handicapped teenager (my husband isn't a teenager and was intellectually bright) and two small children. And we aren't talking down the road, he is having to move home to the north, 22 hours away. We've lost one vehicle. I've always been awesome with bills but it gets to a few months of promises and suddenly they forget the years you paid on time. My everything is broken up for greedy **. And I don't think anyone else will care about his condition like I will. Sure they'll get their money for helping him but he will be like this forever and I don't have an education or skills to barely support us.

I haven't slept in the months, I'm not eating, I'm driving it off options. Whoever reads this call your lawyer from the beginning, err to the side of caution so you don't lose everything you've worked for, hurting your children for life. They are already in a bad way from watching him go through the stroke, now they are losing him. My daughter had straight As for two plus years. The semester he had his stroke, she got her first C. This isn't a company who cares.

Original review: June 20, 2017

While checking to see if The Hartford has a history of doing the same thing as to me, I noted it was pervasive, not just occasionally that Claims Department rescinded or changed doctor/patient plans of Return to Work/retroactively closing a claim and demanding repayment; saying "Our decision based on Dr reports" and others items that have nothing to do with me. i.e. "keeping my license current" and much more. I called the Dr's office to see if he/they made the statements claimed by The Hartford reps and the written and verbal record refutes The Hartford written/verbal statements. After reviewing Consumer Affairs reviews - I believe The Hartford-Disability Claims Department is/has been dishonest with policyholders in their climate of culture where many claims are closed retroactively after a patient/doctor/ability agree on a Return to Work date, such as happened with me last month.

The harm and cost is substantial to the already health/ability of claimant and the damage and/or sabotage, to the client (as in my case), will possibly thwart all attempts at re-employment by forcing an attempt to work prior to recovery (per the Dr). The Hartford thus causing failed employment and inability to be employable in the future. This culture problem cost everyone!!! When a company is too big to be held accountable to the public it will cost everyone.

Original review: May 31, 2017

My husband injured himself-twice-at work last year, lower back. He filed a worker's comp claim- his employer uses The Hartford. The claim rep sent him a whole packet of information about coverage on medication, which doctors to see, etc. We contact this rep- Heather **- and ask when his benefits start. Several times we were told to re-submit his claim forms, as she did not have them. We got nowhere.

After about the third visit to the ER five months later, we got fed up and contacted an attorney, who is absolutely wonderful and was able to get my husband treatment OUTSIDE of the Hartford. He too was being told by the claim rep-now we have a new one, Tanya **- that they never received the paperwork I faxed to them several times.

Unfortunately my husband has gotten worse and is need of surgery, most likely a fusion. We were told this by the attorney's doctor, and by the Independent Medical Exam doctor- who was assigned to our case by the Hartford. While the case is slowly progressing through the IL worker's comp court, my husband has been out of work for almost two months, money is getting very tight, and I have to watch him suffer every day.

He can barely walk. He can no longer live a normal life. We don't know when his surgery will finally get approved. Every day I have to watch him suffer because this money-grubbing dumpster fire of a company made every excuse possible to not help us. My husband is not a pill-popping abuser of the system looking for a handout. He is genuinely hurt, and we are both hurt by this experience. Never will I ever refer anyone to this company. Rest assured I will be contacting the Illinois Dept of Insurance, even if the case settles in our favor.

Original review: May 22, 2017

There is a culture of bureaucratic red tape at The Hartford. I advise any company that's truly interested in their employee's well being to consider other options for their short term disability benefits. The reviews online speak for themselves. No matter how much doctor's notes nor how clear they are it is never enough. My Return to Work Certificate from my company's Workplace Clinic/doctor, who is a DOT Certified Medical Examiner that I CANNOT return to my driving position temporarily.

This is a legal issue and 100% legitimate and still they ask for more information. There is NO doubt that I cannot return so why don't they pay what is owed to me while gathering whatever else their policies require? The answer is simple; they have attorneys on retainer and most people get worn down trying so it is financially lucrative to delay & deny. I invite you, your company, the government or anyone this is of interest to research this company's practices as I have been on the back burner for an extension for over 10 weeks.

Original review: May 4, 2017

My husband has been paying for short-term disability with The Hartford for over 15 years. In March he had surgery and just received a payment for less than $300, this week for one week. Not to mention he has to pay them out of it weekly. We were told the 30-day waiting period is not payable. Bills are piling up, as they request more documentation in order to pay for weeks coming up. This is information that they've already received. I feel this company is scamming individuals for money. I would never recommend them to anyone. Has anyone sued this company before?

Original review: March 22, 2017

After suffering months of exposure to high levels of mold that I am deathly allergic to, I suffered an extreme reaction which resulted in asthma and vocal cord damage. Hartford was the insurance carrier for the company and denied treatment for over 4 months. During that time, I had to seek (and pay for) treatment on my own. After hiring an attorney they paid for a very limited number of treatments and medications and then began denying them. They even denied them when their own physician prescribed them.

It has been close to THREE years and I am still fighting to get the treatments and medications I need from them. I get excuse after excuse including that they haven't gotten the medical records from one of the physicians I was treated by (a specialist in asthma). However, I know they were sent to them on multiple times and they were even sent to Hartford's own physician. Every pharmacy, physician or treatment provider who has tried to work with Hartford has said this is absolutely the worst experience working with a Workman's Compensation claim they have ever had.

Medical bills have piled up and I have numerous ones in collections as a result of Hartford's denial of claims. My symptoms have gotten progressively worse because the treatment has been delayed and as a result, I may have to have surgery on my vocal cords. Reading the complaints about Hartford, it seems that there are a multitude of similar stories. It leads me to believe that Hartford categorically denies prescribed medications and treatments as a way to increase their own revenues at the expense of those who have been injured at work. I think there may be grounds for a class action lawsuit if someone looked close enough.

Original review: March 11, 2017

They don't care how they hurt or Treat people. I was nearly killed at work because the company said there were no underground power lines and there were and I struck a 13,500 volt feeder. They have denied treatment ordered by doctors and constantly.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I was receiving short-term and then long-term benefits from Hartford for 2 years and on January 10th I was told that my benefits were terminated because my attending physician didn't fill out the proper paperwork and return it to Hartford in 5 days. But the reason that he didn't was because Hartford sent the paperwork to the wrong address for the last three months that Hartford needed filled out and I only found out through my lawyer and they won't reinstate my benefits because of this (something that they caused and won't take the blame for it) but I know that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

This has taken a heavy burden on me and my family, totally changed our lives in a way that's indescribable. It should be against the law for them to do things of this sort and probably worse than this to anyone and their families and not be held accountable for this type of behavior. They should pay dearly or someone should be held accountable and lose their jobs for such an act or correct their mistake and take responsibility for what has happened. Like I said it's really tearing my family apart and the only thing they can say is wait on an appeal which could take up to 180 days. If they can't make a decision by then, they will make one in 45 days. I'm just praying that we still be living and still a family. Lord y'all pray for us. AMEN!!! SURE WISH I COULD FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST HARTFORD!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

After 32 years of paying disability premiums to Hartford, they find reasons to deny my claim in order to avoid payout of benefits -- now, when I need it the most. Insurance companies are all tending this way, but Hartford is the All-In-One Leader of the Band where denial is concerned. Just look at their stats. How can these people who work there and send out one denial after another live with themselves? With the kind of pain I'm living with right now, and the information my doctors have sent to them, how could they ever come to that conclusion? It is companies like Hartford who keep lawsuits higher and help attorneys live in grand style. What a scam! Hartford, you are the worst!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

My experience with Hartford Insurance has been wonderful. My Claims Adjuster is knowledgeable, courteous, and has things completed in a timely manner. She gives reasonable deadlines, and follows through when they are not met by my Doctors, or myself. She does everything possible to make sure that my claim doesn't get denied over missing information.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

In the beginning everything was fine, they send out the first 3-4 weeks worth of payments just fine, then they decided they needed my medical records released from my Doctor's Office, and required ME to print out papers, fill them out and then take them to my Doctor, and then wait for my Doctor to release my information. Is it me or do they seem to go out of their way to complicate the process? They couldn't fax my Doctor's Office with these forms and make sure my Doctor has the proper numbers to fax everything back? Now they're saying my case has been closed until they receive this paperwork, my Doctor's secretary says she send out paperwork a week ago, so where is the disconnect?

I'm sorry but these Insurance companies will look for any way to get out of paying people. I did not choose this Insurance company, they're associated with my work, but I bet they all do the same shady practices, so my case is closed, have not received a payment in 3-4 weeks now, I am not back to work and don't have an expected return date yet, so what am I supposed to do to pay my bills? My case is closed they said. Wow, do you think I would ever choose to do business with them on a personal level if this is how they conduct business?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

I've had nothing but problems with The Hartford. I called weeks before I was suppose to have surgery and I still didn't receive my payment after surgery. Everytime I called them, they said they had everything they needed but when it came payment time they claim they needed more information and it was information they already had! Before my surgery I was out a week at the most, due to pain from the condition that caused the need for surgery. The company I work for uses the Hartford (because they employ so many people) to make the decision if an employees leave from work should be excused or not. I had a doctor and a specialist fax in paperwork to The Hartford and yet they claim they never received them even though the doctors had confirmation numbers from when they sent them. So now I may lose my job and everything I own because the Hartford can't do their job properly!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

The entire experience has been nothing but a headache to put it mildly. From the beginning, I have had nothing but miscommunication and lack of professionalism. First of all, my claim was never originally processed. I was told this was due to being "short staffed," which unfortunately is not my problem. When I am short staffed at work, which is often, there are no excuses for not doing my job. In the 12 weeks of my disability, I was able to personally speak to my "claims handler" 1 time. Due to the fact that my claim was not originally processed, I had to call repeatedly and leave numerous messages that were never returned. The most frustrating part is that no one could help me except for my claims handler who never returned any of my 20 voicemails, therefore putting me in the nonsense circle.

The one and only time I had the pleasure of speaking to my claims handler, she was condescending, unprofessional and hung up on me for no reason other than I said it was unacceptable for her to not return my calls and that being short staffed is no excuse. I did leave her boss a few voicemails that were shockingly not returned either, until I threatened legal action to his superior. I did receive a call after that incident. Bottom line, I had a very stressful recovery because of all of the hoopla I was put though and I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

First off I completely agree with the last review for this company. Everyone needs to do their research on this company before they sign up for any type of insurance because you will regret signing up with them. In my situation I signed up for short term disability and I was denied my claim because I'm pregnant. I am taking this issue to my lawyer because the Hartford cannot provide me with any document that states pregnancy would be a pre-existing condition that would affect my insurance. And I had also received a call from an agent saying I was approved and they would send payment as soon as possible once I get a signature from my doctor. This company is a disaster. Do not get involved with them!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

If I could leave the star blank I would. They don't even deserve a one star. Worse experience I ever had in my life. I have been facing and sending forms since the beginning and every time it's a different error they say need to be corrected. My case worker Adrea ** need to work for a collection agency because she doesn't need to handle anyone personal information especially medical. She is very rude and act she doesn't care about your concern. She cut you off in the middle of explaining the situation. Every time I call I get a different response from different people. I believe I'm going to lose my job for the lack of The Hartford at Work and Andrea **. I'm going to seek a lawyer. If depression is the cause of your leave, they will make it worse, with all the headache and trouble they put you through.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

I tried to contact The Hartford at work today twice because they lost my login and claim I have never been in the system plus I do not exist when in fact I just returned to work from a 3 month FMLA which they did not make me active at work. Long story short on the first call I waited 48 minutes with no reply and on the second call 66 minutes with no reply when at the beginning of both call the automatic service claimed I had a wait time of less than 4 minutes. This is totally unacceptable. If they are short handed because it is the day after Thanksgiving then they should direct you to a voicemail option.

I am sick, and I did not have the time or energy to be treated like a nobody. I will never do business with them again and when I go out for my upcoming medical procedures I will use another company because I have a choice. I highly recommend people do their research before getting involved with a company that would treat a sick individual or any individual in this disrespectful, rude, unkind and down right ugly way... I am done with the hartford. They do not even deserve a capital letter on their company name.

The worst part about this is while you are waiting and steaming for minutes on end you have to listen to a voice tell you how important your call is to them and they will be with you in the order your call was received. Plain and simple. They had too many people out today and therefore not enough people to answer the influx of call for the day which was probably a normal one. They should have just closed and reopened next Monday. I will file an official complaint when I can find a link to do so, that I am finding difficult to do as well. I will not call though that is for sure. If they did their job, which is the only job they have to do by placing me active I would not have to do this to begin with. Anyway I am done, done, done.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

My husband fell and was injured outside work. Went on std for 3 months during the months he wanted to work but his job did not offered modified. On the 3rd month he developed a lump on his right thigh and by March turn out to be cancer. He applied for Social Security Disability and went on LTD. The Hartford said he was not disabled enough for life insurance waiver. My husband died. How? Disabled. Did he had to be? He did not get any of the benefit that he should of received and myself been on disability has worsen my health to the point that I wish I was dead. I already suffer from PTSD and take mess and on top of that I have several injuries that prevent me from working. These people are liars and scammed my husband intentionally. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

This company sucks. I have been out of work since September 16th due to a shoulder injury. All forms were filled out. There was a minor error on my claim form, the form was corrected. The claim handler ask for my doctor's office to fax medical records which clearly state nonwork related. Denies my short term disability, which I'm getting ready to return to work. It's only been 7 weeks with no compensation from this group of unprofessional idiots. My bills are stacking up. Cell phone recently disconnected. It's the worst company to communicate with. I clearly can not see how this company stays in business. I cannot continue to go to my doctor's appointments because I have no money to pay my copay. This company is clearly rotten. If you have plans to buy into this company stay clear away. Find another. I'm sure they will do better than this company. The Hartford At Work BLOWS.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

Don't let them take your SSDI Backpay. This is the worst company to deal with. They kept turning off my benefits and now they are totally shut down for SSDI backpay. For anyone else facing this, don't pay them because you will be terminated shortly afterwards. They can sue but can't take your social security unless there is more than 2 months of your benefits in the bank. They even want to know what my prior employer pensions are. I told them to stick it, none of their damn business.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

Due to chronic D.D.D. and debilitating juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (since age 5) I recently had to file a claim with The Hartford long-term disability insurance. I cannot praise their professional, courteous and expeditious handling of my claim enough! The first phone call I received after filing my claim was from my personal rep., Joseph **. He left me feeling valued and appreciated!! And, EVERY phone call from him, or someone else from The Hartford, was the same way – it left me feeling valued and appreciated!

This was SO UNLIKE other phone calls I'd received from another insurance company when filing for a short-term disability. The rep. was disrespectful and rude! Almost everything I told her about my pain, or my mobile limitations, etc., she questioned or doubted. Without fail her phone calls ended with me feeling defeated, unbelieved, hopeless, and persecuted. So, when an insurance company comes along which has treated me with the utmost respect and dignity I MUST speak out! The Hartford has done that from day 1. I can't thank them enough, or say enough to give them the credit they deserve for their professional and expeditious handling of my long-term disability claim!! Thank you, thank you, thank you The Hartford!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

On 5/26/2016 I became physically unable to work. I am continuing to have severe upper right abdominal pain that causes me to lose my breath, makes me nauseous, dizzy headed, unable to focus, in extreme pain on my right side like I have a broken rib (but it's not). After test, blood work, and many doctors, even trigger point injections did not help... the doctors said I have a condition call "Costochodris" which is an infection of the cartilage in my rib cage. I work from home, at my computer for a call center which seeming is easy enough, however with this condition it's horrible and just breathing is extremely painful and nonstop talking is impossible let alone sitting upright for eight hours. I tried different chairs, positions, even a love seat before I went on FMLA leave to try and find a doctor to help me.

Of course I also had Hartford to fall back on so I thought, so I would not go bankrupt since I am the main income since my husband is disabled due to a stroke four years earlier. At first Hartford approved my claim, they pay me a few weeks then stop. I go approximately two months without payment. Finally after repeated attempts, phone calls, sending in multiple medical records, calling Hartford numerous times talking to supervisor, nurses, anyone who would actually act like they would help... spending countless hours doing the agent's job finding out doctors fax numbers, record department numbers, etc I got my claim started again where Hartford paid me back pay and approved me for two weeks after that. Then STOPPED payments AGAIN!

Each time they stopped payment I would call and ask why only to be told some vague answer like "You no longer meet disability requirements" and I would say "I am still under doctors care, he still will not let me go back to work of which I have sent in paperwork showing, and my condition has not changed from the last time you approved me." "How do I NOT qualify now for the same condition and reason as before?" And the agent would say a supervisor would call me back and I would never hear from anyone.

I ended up calling an attorney to ask for help, he told me to appeal, on Hartford's website there is no way to appeal so I called and spoke to my claimed agent and she told me today I would have to wait for my denial letter to come in the mail (I have never received any info from Hartford in the US mail and told the agent this info) and she explain the instructions on how to file an appeal would be in the letter and she could not give me the information over the phone. I also wrote to Hartford's legal team today, of which I have written a couple of times over this process, asking for help letting them know of my request for the appeal info and if they could and/or would send it to me but it normally takes a week or so to hear back from that department.

So I wanted to add my experience here in hopes something can be done to simplify or regulate these companies so people whom are sick and think they have insurance to fall back on really do... not just another scam. Because if the company is not held to certain guidelines they will continue to take money from people and scam on claims. Most people give up on real claims because the process is too hard because the insurance is allowed to make it hard. We need justice!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I have been having a great deal of difficulty with health issues, at age 62 I have now lost my health, car and home insurances due to the laziness and corrupted attitudes of the claim handlers at the Hartford. They hadn't received physician statement but failed to inform me of the electronic portal through which I could have done THEIR work. I am tired of dealing with this incompetent group of what I am assuming are lazy millennials drawing an income for no work. I have had to get assistance from an attorney to avoid another stay in the hospital (I would now have to go through emergency just to be seen). I want to say "thank you for making my life hell one year after losing my wife." I would like to say "thank you" to a particularly lazy handler but I am assuming names can't be mentioned. But then again I am assuming they are all lazy.

Original review: July 29, 2016

Crushed my foot in 2014. They started paying weekly benefits then stopped. They wanted letters. I got them big run around. My boss pays through the roof. Had to have hardware removed. Out two months not one dime. Bill piling up. They keep telling my lawyer they released payment. They are full of **.

Original review: July 28, 2016

The Hartford is an unkind, indifferent, heartless company. They make things as difficult and torturous as possible. They have no respect or compassion for me as a disabled individual they claim to help. They make me feel like a liar and thief for pursuing my legitimate claim, and they make me pursue it over and over by chasing after the same documentation again and again. How can they confirm my disability one month, and deny it the next?

They are horrible communicators; I never know what they are looking for until I call multiple times. They never receive the documentation my doctors send the first time. I end up at the mercy of the doctors' offices to be kind enough to fax it to them yet again. Their website is a complete waste of time. It only gives information I already know. This company is an embarrassment.

Original review: July 28, 2016

I've recently encountered the worst business experience with The Hartford insurance company! I recently underwent knee surgery, and have been under continuous doctors care for this injury and surgery warranted. Disability forms were frequently completed by my orthopedic surgeon, as per their request and followed all company guidelines to be continued benefits via the Hartford. Regretfully, I was informed after receiving STD benefits for my injury/surgery for 60 days that the Hartford had to discontinue my benefits, while they perform an investigation to confirm if my injuries were pre-existing! In addition, I was told that this was a company policy for "all individuals" that were receiving STD benefits! I didn't have a problem with the investigation, because I knew that I sought treatment for my knee after my insurance went into effect! Regretfully, they had already closed my case, prior to the completion of the pre-existing investigation deadline!

Additionally, within 2-3 weeks of undergoing knee surgery, I was called via The Hartford nurse, and told that she was calling to see how she could get me back to work as soon as possible! I informed her that I could barely walk, and was still walking with crutches, plus my employer didn't want me to return unless I could perform at 100%!! Considering, 99% of my work consisted of walking and standing! Meanwhile, I had called The Hartford and spoke with another representative to inquire if I would be entitled to retroactive pay, once they finished my investigation and saw that my condition wasn't a pre-existing!! I knew that it wasn't pre-existing, therefore, expected to get reinstated and reimbursed soon! Unfortunately, I was informed this week via the representative that I was no longer eligible to received disability benefits via The Hartford!

I still do not understand how they could abruptly tell someone who was actually ill, and met all guidelines and policies for this insurance that they're no longer eligible!! This organization is definitely NOT to be trusted, or used for disability, and/or any other insurance options! I feel almost certain that these insurance claim representatives are given big bonuses for denying claims that will save companies millions of dollars!! That's why they're fast-talking, sly, heartless, and non-empathetic people!! It appears that they're more concerned about their survival income, and not yours!! However, I plan to appeal this decision soon, because they're expecting people to just walk away!! I'm not the anything goes type of person! Hell No!! I refuse to go down without a serious fight/appeal!! The consumer and regulatory affairs, and the insurance licensing board need to shut them down for their obvious trickery, and illegal insurance practices!

Everyone who have posted complaints on this website can't be complaining about the same thing, if it wasn't true and factual about them!!! We live in different states, and don't even know one another, so this can't be something that everyone are conspiring against them! However, if you need a reliable insurance company with morals, high-standards, and values that stand behind their name, and their customers, then purchase Aflac!! The duck (Aflac) is really what's up!! They're highly trusted, and highly recommended by many!! I would have never experience this type of crap with Aflac, if I was still with my previous employer that had it for their employees!! It breaks my heart that I no longer have Aflac coverage!!

Moving forward, if you've been recently and wrongly denied benefits via The Hartford, fight like hell in filing your appeal, and also send a carbon copy of your letter to the consumer and regulatory affairs commissioner for further review and investigation!! You can even take it a step further by sending a copy also to the Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation within your state to prompt an investigation on their inappropriate, and/or illegal insurance practices. Wishing everyone the best!!

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery,, people with a chronic condition and people who cannot work at all.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky