The Hartford - Disability

The Hartford - Disability
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

The Hartford - Disability Learn More

The Hartford - Disability Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford - Disability?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: May 3, 2021

Hartford LTD. Long Term Disability. I purchased years ago. When Covid hit I started spraying my bus with disinfect per my boss. Well from spraying like 5 times a day it injured my lungs. I tried to use my LTD since my Dr took me off work. They have harassed my doctor my Pulminary Dr. My Dr filled out all necessary firms but now they state he only gave 1 word answers. I dont recommend this insurance company. You will not get the disability.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Having purchased the insurance through my employer I have been diagnosed with cancer. I’ve lost a kidney, and a portion of my bladder. I am currently going through treatments for my bladder for 6 weeks four times this year and The Hartford has refused to continue payments to me costing me $1,800 per month suggesting I go back to work at a meat packing plant during a pandemic. I am being gamed by this company and will continue to turn the screws until I am made whole.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

They don't pay. They harass your Dr. over and over again. Total scam, how can they be in business? Government or consumer affairs should go after them. You think you have insurance if you're sick, but you don't. Class action suit anyone?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I faxed all the necessary paperwork on Thursday 12/10/2020. I called today. 12/14/2020 to make sure they received all the paperwork. I was told they received nothing. It is supposed to take 24 hours to show up. I have exhausted all of my finances. My hr Co worker even called them. And we both were told check back tomorrow. Thanks a lot The Hartford for giving me my 30 days of pay. Hope you all have a great Holiday. I'm trying to take care of my spouse who is a amputee.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Traumatized by my experience with this company. Lost paperwork, empty promises, calls not returned, misinformation. Wrote CEO, and still did not receive anything even close to adequate or acceptable service. I have been sick with Long Hauler COVID for over 3 months, and suffer debilitating symptoms. Working with them was literally a Nightmare inside my already COVID Nightmare. They handle only my company's Leave; thank God another company handles the Disability - which was approved much more efficiently than anything with The Hartford. While I was sick, at times unable to get out of bed for days in a row, I needed to continue to call and follow up because they were unresponsive and continued to lose paperwork, etc. (BTW - I wonder where my PHI paperwork went...? Maybe a good question for a Lawyer...)

My recommendation: keep track of every single interaction, who you spoke with, what time, what day, what transpired. I did for nearly every interaction, and plan to send all of the details to my Fortune 5 companys' CEO once I am in a much better place health wise. They need to know what their employees are going through. I am back at work now, still struggling, but managing. Lo and Behold, one of my employees just went out on leave, and texted me the difficulty she is having with The Hartford - needless to say I was not surprised, and definitely advised her to keep records of all interactions, too. If you are having to go through this company for a leave or disability, I am sorry for you. Try to be prepared and advocate for yourself.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

After suffering injuries from a roll over car crash I received short term disability for almost 6 months. I returned to work with limited duties and struggled to continue working. I started missing work and leaving early suffering from head injuries. My HR team at work reached out to the Hartford and had my LTD claim opened and reviewed, after a month of paperwork the Hartford approved my long term disability claim and informed me of my benefit amount. On that very same day my employer terminated my employment.

Two weeks pass from my termination date and I had yet received my benefit payment. I contacted my Hartford rep and could tell something wasn’t right, they kept delaying me and not answering my questions. Finally I received notice that the Hartford reversed their decision and now denied my claim. I appealed their decision and was denied again. Now with no income and being a sole provider of my family of 5 things have gotten desperate. The most upsetting part of this was being told by the Hartford that maybe I should find a new career! Such despicable people work for the Hartford!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

I had to go out of work 1 time in my life. I am 45 and have back pain. They approved me for my waiting week then closed my claim. I returned to work for 1 week then was taken back out by my spinal surgeon. Now that I will receive paid weeks from them they keep coming up with excuses not to approve me. If I could afford it I would try to not have to deal with the Hartford at all. They only seem to help professional disability cases. You know the every year kind of pros that every corporation has.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Hi, I have The Hartford and I pay for LTD. I have given them all they asked for and I was informed that they have determined that "their doctors" know more and better about me, than my PCP and my Orthopedic surgeon. Although my claim is approved, they have stopped paying me my benefit payment and have instructed me that I must contact my state Rehabilitation program and I must let them find and determine what job would be within my restrictions.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Having a stroke has been a nightmare, dealing with Hartford on short term disability has almost been worse. I have had to jump through hoops to get approved, now I'm having to "renew" my time. The stress of dealing with them is going to cause me to have another stroke, they treat you like a criminal. I didn't ask for this to happen to me. It's not like I'm faking a stroke. I should not have to keep filling out new forms. And they have absolutely no empathy. I am only dealing with them because it's who my work uses. If I had a choice I wouldn't use this company for anything. Short term disability is horrible as it is, quit playing with the lives of people who have valid health conditions!

Original review: June 12, 2020

They don’t pay, you need to fight for your money. I was told, "You worked in pain before. Why can’t you do it now." They had notes from two different dr “no work”. Still not good enough. Don’t use. They don’t pay!!!!

The Hartford author review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor