1.36/5

The Hartford - Disability

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

305 The Hartford - Disability Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I have to respond regarding my experience with The Hartford Long Term Disability division, And extra kudos to Dustin **, Ability Analyst. I have had 2 other Total Hip replacements and never missed a day of work. Least to say I had a hip that didn’t take, per se, and had revision surgery 1/24/19 - I’m 52 with twin 11 year old boys. My surgery in January was disastrous - corrosion - failure of connection and destroyed my connective tissue - fast forward it dislocated on March 11..

I took FMLA and short term disability - lo and behold the January surgery didn’t take either - so back to the OR for surgery 4 on the same hip. My STD - Matrix was awful! I was nonweight bearing during the entire disaster. However, Dustin at Hartford jumped in, and I sent him all the information and pictures from each procedure. He and his team were amazing! They had an approval with payment dates, before the STD Matrix did - I had to unfortunately threaten to expose their lack of physician reviewers and nonclinical assistance. Happy to say I’m killing it in Physical Therapy and plan to return to work by October 2019! They check on me and offer support. Hartford is amazing!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been on LTD with the Hartford for about a month now. I had been told and saw so many posts on the internet about how difficult the Hartford is to work with. I can adamantly say that is NOT the case for me. I was on STD with the Hartford until that ran out and I started the process for LTD. Every single step of the way the claims adjustors returned calls promptly - or answered the calls when they were available. Each one of them took the time to explain the process, what would happen next and were so compassionate. I don't know what I would have done without the caring people at the Hartford. Yes, there a lot of forms and information needed from your health care providers but I can't imagine a review of these documents isn't necessary throughout the process and ongoing. It is so comforting to have the Hartford while I am disabled. Can't say enough good about them.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I have been on long term disability since 2014. I don't know what I would have done without it. Sure they demand a lot, but they send my money on time every month. Sure they are a little difficult at times, but, they are just people trying to do their jobs. I am sure they have to deal with upset people all day. Thank you Hartford for being there for me.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I paid into long-term disability for 17 yrs. In 2013 I had a tragic accident. I broke my neck at C-2, and crushed T6 and T8. This brought my life crashing down. I am on pain medication 24/7. I have severe balance issues and severe depression. The Hartford has taken excellent care of me. At one point they even covered the cost to have my medical information sent when I didn't have the money. I can't say enough about the service they have provided to me. Without this help, I don't think I could have made it this far. I highly recommend this company to employers and individual clients.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. We pay for disability insurance so that we can have peace of mind and get help in our time of need. Only hoping that we never have to use the insurance. Unfortunately, The Hartford is not there for their "clients" (cash cows) when they need it most. I was on leave from work due to severe depression, suicidal ideation etc. I had all the paperwork and medical records from my doctors to prove my claims. The Hartford not only takes forever to correspond with, they constantly "lose" things, or say they never received them. They don't like to return calls and they make the process very hard. Instead of finding the relief people need in their time of need, The Hartford piles on the stress, frustration, despair, hopelessness etc.

They found it prudent to deny my claims for short and long term disability, and my appeal for short term. I am now going to lose my job due to them arbitrarily denying my claims by using a doctor they pay who has never treated me or anything, despite my doctors information and my medical records. I have no choice but to hire a lawyer, I haven't had any income in 4.5 months and that will continue. People are losing their houses, cars, livelihoods due to The Hartford's practices but they don't care. They routinely deny claims to help their bottom line. They undoubtedly have blood on their hands. Instead of getting the help I needed, I am instead dealing with more problems and will lose my job, health insurance etc which was allowing me to try and get better. Thanks to The Hartford, my life is ruined.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

This company is absolutely horrible. They have no understanding of mental health conditions only judgments and assumptions. I worked for my company for 20 years, out on leave once prior for the difficult pregnancy and birth of my twin boys. I lost 9 months of my salary because of these scumbags. I provided every document needed, took up appts to get these things processed and even filed an appeal and got denied. Their business practices are horrific and unethical. After reading many complaints about them I’m not surprised my experience was like this. Something more has got to be done to this company for treating working people this way. Scumbags!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

As an Archdiocesan employee I purchased Hartford Long Term as the Diocese does not participate in the state disability. Late September of 2018 I hospitalized and underwent an open heart surgery (cabbage). I went back to work in January, however, was unable to perform my duties, as a result began suffering of severe depression. Per my employer's recommendation I reapplied for disability insurance. I have been extremely compliant with providing with all the requested documents. I made sure that my providers did this in a timely manner as well.

Having done everything I was asked to do, consistently I have been denied. I am not being given a concrete explanation of this denial. The explanation I am given time after time, "not enough proof". I am not certain what exactly this company would like to see. For me to be institutionalized or drop dead so they can believe my claims. BEFORE MAKING A DECISION TO PURCHASE A POLICY, PLEASE THINK AS THEY ARE GREAT AT TAKING ONE'S MONEY AND UNWILLING TO PAY WHEN NEEDED.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I started my claim well before my surgery for my FMLA to be approved two weeks after my surgery. I was calling them on the day of my surgery because my manager hadn't gotten my approval yet and I was basically a no call no show for work. Once that was settled it was time to do my short term disability that they denied before speaking with my physician then requested records - spoke with the physician and paid me for one day and denied the rest of my claim because I reported the symptoms of being dizzy and lightheaded to my physician and no test were ran to know. I have paid for this plan for over a decade to have this type of treatment in the end. I will not put another dollar or cent into it going forth and they don't return phones calls and are rude.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Last year I had major surgery. They denied my last 2 weeks being out of work. Now here I am out of work due to progressive, incurable autoimmune diseases and they are again playing games. I filed my claim 6/25/19 and they still have not made a decision. There is no compassion or sense of urgency. I was a manager in customer service for 10 years and they are horrible. Worst company I have ever had to deal with. They deserve a negative rating instead of one star.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

My husband was off for 3 weeks on disability. His doctor recommended it. Hartford extended their decision-making 3 times, before saying he was "better" a week in. They're only paying for 6 days because according to the doctor's notes he was "doing better". He wasn't healed, he was just doing better than the last time she saw him (mind you, his doctor sent them 22 pages of notes on his situation and diagnosis). These heartless monsters denied us and the only way we can fight them is to file a lawsuit. Oh, and don't bother calling them. The people you talk to over the phone are terrible at customer service. Overall, don't bother opting in for short-term disability with The Hartford. It seems they'll only understand the most obvious of injuries. Believe me, there are many other situations for a person to take short-term disability than for a physical injury or illness.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery,, people with a chronic condition and people who cannot work at all.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky