The Hartford - Disability
1.18/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

The Hartford - Disability

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

The Hartford - Disability Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

All they have done is give me the run around at this company. My rep Amber refuses to return phone calls. I have been waiting over a month for a decision. My doctor has provided so much documentation. They constantly say they are not receiving the paperwork. And then when they do receive it, they say it's not enough. They keep saying they are getting information from their own medical professionals who have never even spoken to me. They take mental illness as a joke. And they actually cause more stress which makes my mental illness worse. It's like they just try everything they can to avoid paying on the claim. I've even broken down crying on the phone with them because they really don't care!

After a month and a half, I ended up speaking with a supervisor who ended up telling me they were going to deny my claim for lack of information from the doctor. Even my doctor is frustrated because they are constantly requesting more and more like all doctors have time to do is fill out paperwork. It's just a terrible experience. Now I have to try to appeal. How do they expect you to heal and get back to work if they do nothing but cause you so much stress! This is a terrible way to deal with people who are already suffering.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Been receiving long term disability until they needed a review. After reviewing various doctors' recommendations saying I couldn't work in any capacity, they decided to go with "their" doctor that has never seen me. At the end of the letter they basically said, "Go ahead and try to sue us if you disagree".

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I had a heart attack and stent put in. The cardiologist faxed them their form plus I sent them all the paperwork they ask for 5 TIMES. They have never returned my calls and my claim status is denied. I may lose my job over this. These are the kind of thugs that steal the income they owe you while you are critically ill. Demonic Company.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

So I work for a big company and I need to have surgery and call them get the claim all set and told them that the surgery is scheduled for this "date" and will be changed once I find the correct. They just put it there for a dummy date. And then I get the call from the doctor and we finally schedule it for this "date". I call and tell the Hartford the new correct "date". A week later they cancel the whole claim and tell me I have to start over.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Have been on LTD with the Hartford since 2006 being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis Auto immune disease, Fibromyalgia and Bipolar disorder with psychosis. Within first two years, I had to get an attorney to fight them because they cut me off after the Doc didn't send in one form. I was not notified and it took 6 months & $5,000 in attorney costs to reinstate my benefits. In August, the Post Office gave me a new street address (rural) & my mail wasn't forwarded for a week and half. A benefit check was returned to them and so they promptly sent me a discontinuation letter. Mrs. ** claimed she called me three times but wasn't able to leave a message due to "a fast busy signal". I called my carrier and lo and behold, there were no phone calls from Ms. **.

Make no mistake. You absolutely have to work hard and jump through hoops while being disabled with this worthless company. I had to apply for public assistance today for the first time in my life! I held a very senior position with a well known silicon valley employer making 6 figures until disabled. I paid into this Insurance for 12 plus years and now I'm on good stamps. I would strongly recommend anyone who has to deal with this company have cash reserves for an attorney and pay some bills if you can! They will find any excuse to cut you off! I am currently filing complaints as far and wide as possible. You simply cannot rely on keeping long term benefits. Lastly, because I made 6 figures and the had to pay 66% of my income, I am a cash drainer to them so after being harassed after 3 years by the same analyst, they finally found their excuse. This is why my old company does not use them anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I filed for my short term in the beginning of May 2019. We are now at the end of September and no monies have been issued. All you get is the runaround with these people. The one thing I did was contacted the Department of Insurance and spoke with a disability rep. @ 866-444-3272. The rep did make a call to my rep at the Hartford. Just waiting to see how it goes.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I have never had so much trouble getting short term disability, long term disability and FMLA. I have had Crohn's since 2011 and Ulcerative Colitis since 2002. I have used The Hartford for my FMLA and was constantly getting letter thrown at me to have my physicians fill out and faxed. I almost lost my job because they were not receiving the Dr's fax reports. Even though they were getting confirmation reports stating it was sent, the hartford was saying they did not receive it. I have been on STD since Jan 10th 2019 and have been a prisoner in my own home due to my condition. I only have 4 to 6 inches of my colon left and have been very ill.

After filing for LTD and having tons of paperwork every other month stressing about my past experience they have denied my claim due to insufficient paperwork and lack thereof. Mind you I have called my physicians more than once to make sure they have sent everything that was requested including medical records. I am still not able to work due to urgency accidents and excessive abdominal pain and gastritis. My analysis reassured me they they would contact my physicians for the paperwork and that mental just facing the same information, not at all speaking with anyone even though my physician requested to speak with them. I am totally humiliated and feel discriminated against because of my disease, I am truly not able to go back as of yet. I'm still recovering from this disease and it has been a battle everyday.

They lack empathy and lie about the things they are willing to take care of. Then they have the right to say it's my responsibility after I've done everything in my power to make sure they received what they requested. It's not enough, they are wanting blood from a turnip which us totally impossible. Especially when both physicians have confirmation forms from faxes and medical records that have been all due to my Crohn's. I couldn't even get out of her when I asked...what do I do next, I wish I had my health so I didn't have to go through this. I've never felt so alone and helpless since my surgery and The Hartford at work as totally made me feel so much emotional distress from this in which has delayed my recovery.

I've learned since I've had complications with my health that if you don't have your health then you don't have nothing at all. How true this is, single mom at 44 with so much health debit and don't have my own home. I'm on Social security disability and wish I could just get my health back so I don't ever have to go through this again...I am sobbing...they make you feel like a p.o.s. I pray no one has to go through this.

Thanks Cincinnati Children's Hospital for watching out for you're hard working employees and making sure you have a good disability company for you're hard working employees that are over worked and underpaid. This is not right, I feel the worst I've felt since my surgery in 2011 and this is how I get treated. I did EVERYTHING THEY HAVE ASKED. I don't know what more they want.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I have spinal issues (disc herniation and stenosis) that have made it impossible to do my job. Both my doctor and my employer understand this and advocated for short-term disability to try and heal. The belligerent and rude staff at The Hartford made the entire process as stressful and confusing as possible, with delayed and insufficient communication along the way. And of course after weeks and weeks of waiting on them, they deny coverage. On someone who for periods of time can't walk or sit. Criminal.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. We pay for disability insurance so that we can have peace of mind and get help in our time of need. Only hoping that we never have to use the insurance. Unfortunately, The Hartford is not there for their "clients" (cash cows) when they need it most. I was on leave from work due to severe depression, suicidal ideation etc. I had all the paperwork and medical records from my doctors to prove my claims. The Hartford not only takes forever to correspond with, they constantly "lose" things, or say they never received them. They don't like to return calls and they make the process very hard. Instead of finding the relief people need in their time of need, The Hartford piles on the stress, frustration, despair, hopelessness etc.

They found it prudent to deny my claims for short and long term disability, and my appeal for short term. I am now going to lose my job due to them arbitrarily denying my claims by using a doctor they pay who has never treated me or anything, despite my doctors information and my medical records. I have no choice but to hire a lawyer, I haven't had any income in 4.5 months and that will continue. People are losing their houses, cars, livelihoods due to The Hartford's practices but they don't care. They routinely deny claims to help their bottom line. They undoubtedly have blood on their hands. Instead of getting the help I needed, I am instead dealing with more problems and will lose my job, health insurance etc which was allowing me to try and get better. Thanks to The Hartford, my life is ruined.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

This company is absolutely horrible. They have no understanding of mental health conditions only judgments and assumptions. I worked for my company for 20 years, out on leave once prior for the difficult pregnancy and birth of my twin boys. I lost 9 months of my salary because of these scumbags. I provided every document needed, took up appts to get these things processed and even filed an appeal and got denied. Their business practices are horrific and unethical. After reading many complaints about them I’m not surprised my experience was like this. Something more has got to be done to this company for treating working people this way. Scumbags!

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery,, people with a chronic condition and people who cannot work at all.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky