3.9/5 (442 ratings)

About The Hartford - Disability

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

The Hartford - Disability Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford - Disability?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

This company is only interested in taking your money and providing no service. As soon as you have a claim, they drop you, even after 7 years of paying their outrageous rates. As most other reviews below have found, 1 star isn't low enough for The Hartford.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

53 year old US Veteran with Service Connected Disability (Hearing). Hartford Insurance Company and Attorneys "Hedrick Gardner Kincheloe and Garofalo LLP" refused payment of Workmans' Comp Claim since Aug 2019 "Employee Handbook and Employee Credit Cards". As of August 21 2022. THE VETERANS HEALTH CARE (Tricare) has paid All the Medical Bills for 'Work Injuries' from an Unlicensed NC Plumbing Contractor. Hartford insurance paid Hedrick Gardner Kincheloe and Garofalo LLP for the 3.5 million dollar PPP loan during covid 19 and a new attorney's building in Charlotte NC. The US Veteran has been Homeless/Unsheltered since 2019/2020 including 6 months in the Veterans Homeless Shelter while Hartford Insurance and their Attorneys racked in Millions of US Taxpayers Money.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I had to use them for worker's comp, save you the hassle and get a lawyer. They are petty and incompetent. The adjuster Blanca has decided to not go off the drs notes, and she also has decided to pay me 30 days behind on my payments, so of course I’m incurring all types of late fees and hardships. I will be going after all of that in my settlement. Now they have turned a $150,000 payout to almost $400,000 due to pettiness. It’s putting me in a bind now but due to stupidity I’m going to have a nice hefty payout. Thank you Hartford and Blanca specifically for your incompetence and stupidity.

Original review: May 26, 2022

My husband went out on a planned surgical leave. He planned to be out for 6 weeks. Our claim was quickly approved. We submitted paperwork end of March and payment was not received until May 6 for a two week period of time. I called them the following day and asked if they needed any additional paperwork for the rest of the time, they told me, "No. You will received payment the following week." I said ok. That date came and went. I called everyday and every time I spoke to them they said they needed something else. I sent them updated paperwork, contacted my husband's company because they needed something from them. It is now the end of May and I have yet to receive any additional payments that are owed to my husband. Every time you speak to them they are VERY unhelpful. They keep pointing fingers instead of addressing the issue.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I have left messages for disability analysts over the past few months and none of my calls have been returned. Not only can I not get information on what they are looking for as to an update - they treat every disability the same. I have had my doctors state that I am permanently disabled for the past 3 years and yet The Hartford continues to ask for the same paperwork. They last told me a year ago they were not looking for a functional capacity assessment and yet they send this out annually. This makes no sense and I can't get them to respond to phone calls.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I am appalled that these people can continue to do business in our country! I will not waste my time but only say that almost ALL these stories and mine in which we are "handled" are eerily similar!

1. Missing/Misplaced HIPPA paperwork/faxes
    2. Fax number for Claims Department provided on website is incorrect
    3. Multiple messages left for Supervisor, never returning one phone call
    4. Analyst caught several times lying about doing her work
    5. Time limits set on Doctors to complete paperwork when test results are not in yet
    6. Analyst mentioned they were requesting a psychiatric evaluation for me because I was stressed out about the claim, which they later retracted because I spoke with my employer's upper management and filed a complaint against them.

7. After all the proof of my disability and ongoing care they still only approve a couple weeks at a time!!! Then the entire paperwork gathering starts all over again.

Someone, seriously needs to think about filing a class action lawsuit against them. If there were a way for all of us to communicate, it would be great! I think they would change their tactics... and how they handle people with disabilities! God bless!

Original review: March 19, 2022

The Hartford has to be one of the most evil, unethical companies on the face of the planet. They take people’s premiums hand over fist, but when it comes to paying out long-term disability claims, they do everything they can to make sure they don’t have to pay. I’ve read a bunch of reviews on here and realized I should leave my own. If there is a class action suit against this company I would definitely climb on board.

In my case, even the short term disability was a hassle as they kept ‘losing’ paperwork and claiming that they needed more information. I did, however, get approved for short term disability on the initial try. But I didn’t get it until six months after I filed a claim (thank goodness I have a ton of savings). By that point in time I was already in the long-term disability window, and it was very clear by my symptoms, and supported by five different doctors, that there was no way I should be going back to work.

The annoyance that was the short term disability process soon turned into the nightmare of the Hartford‘s long-term disability process. They have it set up to make it as difficult on the claimant as possible, and we are people who are already dealing with serious conditions that make it hard for us just to get through our days. We don’t need/can’t handle the monstrous process The Hartford has set up, and that’s what these sub-human devils count on.

Some of their usual moves include: saying they don’t receive faxes or mailed documents so you have to keep bugging your busy doctors to resend things, putting artificial deadlines on records requests but only giving doctors a couple days to comply, parsing every word you say to see if there is somebody else from whom they can request records and continue to drag out the process, The minute they do you get records or forms filled out from your doctor, they turn around and ask for more, then do a quick-draw denial if there is any lag time with your doctors getting them records (and I ask, how many of you know doctors who have so much time on their hands that they can spend their whole day responding to insurance requests?), so that they can get around the rules of how quickly they have to legally make a judgment on your case.

If they reopen your case after their initial quick denial once your doctors do submit the records in, you know, an actually reasonable timeframe, they have all the time in the world to draw it out and they sincerely count on you giving up all hope or maybe even dying while they stall.

In my case, I was on the merry-go-round of constantly filling out more and more forms, having to wrangle six different doctors to make sure they were getting records in and forms filled out in a timely manner (which is a lot to manage when you are a sick person who can barely even get out of bed during your day… I don’t have to tell you that it certainly hasn’t helped in the recovery process), fighting with them about supposedly lost records, etc. for almost 9 months (and this was AFTER the initial 6 months) before they finally handed all of the paperwork from all of my doctors, all saying there’s no way I had any business working, over to their own hired doctor, who has never seen you, whom I’m sure they pay very well just to contradict people’s actual doctors.

Once it got to that point, the denial came very quickly. I was already prepared for it because it was abundantly clear at this point that this was not an ethical company and I knew what they were going to do. I had a lawyer lined up already and had the letter ready to go to start the appeal process, which included requesting the entire set of records they had amassed. The cherry on top of the horror-cake that was my experience with the Hartford was the fact that instead of sending the records on a disc, like the other disability insurance company I had to work with in the past, they had somebody print out every single page and mail a hardcopy. What arrived on my doorstep was the size of two big city phone books and weighed 15 lbs.

This was what I was to hand to my lawyers for them to parse through and build their case. At that point I just had to laugh. Bravo, the Hartford. You are officially the most terrible, evil company in existence. If I knew how to come after you legally, I would be doing it. Once I get better, which I do plan to do, and I plan to do it with all of the money you owe me in hand eventually (because I’m not giving up, **), I am going to make it my business to write letters to every politician, every Attorney General, every governor, every news outlet I can to try and get some traction on making your business practices illegal, or even coming after you for your practices that are actually currently illegal, but with which you are somehow getting away. You deserve to go down in flames. Shame on you for preying on people who are at their lowest and most vulnerable. If karma exists, anyone associated with The Hartford is going to really be in for it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I have been affiliated what is this company for three years due to my job who they recommended. Now that it's time for me to actually use my short-term since I have been off work due to an auto accident my short-term was dated for 10-18-21 and I just was able to get approved on 11-22-21 after I had to call to speak to a supervisor and still want to give you the runaround and now that I'm approved they have to talk to my lawyer's office for me to be able to receive my short-term money and my lawyer's office does not have nothing to do with me receiving my short-term money before the holidays and I still have no income but I still have to play this game.

If it was you that had to go through all of this to be able to receive money that you have been investing into for 3 years I'm pretty sure you will feel how I feel. This is the worst company ever and there are not professional at all... Customer service is terrible along with their communication! Wish I never was injury because they don't care how you make it with no income since this is supposed to be GUARANTEED help that you pay for!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I have been dealing with Hartford going on 4 months now. I was admitted into a psychiatric facility due to a suicide attempt (they have ALL the paperwork from the drs, nurses, etc) back in November. I was released from the hospital 2 weeks later and Hartford then approved my pay for 9 days…which was completely fine, it wasn’t until I was released from the hospital that I would be told I needed to request an extension for additional time (my company pays me 100% disability up to 8 weeks) so I requested this time after being released, I was told I needed documentation from my psychiatrist which was actually returned to them, but they “never got it”. It was faxed 3 times.

Due to my dr telling me I NEEDED to take some time off and just focus on my mental (my mom passed back in June she was struck by a hit and run) I decided to take some time. Would I have known that I would not be getting paid for those 6 weeks after being released from a psychiatric facility I would have went against my drs wishes and went to work. I am a single mother with 3 small children I can’t afford to take any kind of break from work, I know I made a horrible mistake but mental illness is real.

I don't mean to make anyone feel bad for me but at this point I don't know what to do. I am beyond frustrated, EVERY SINGLE time I call Hartford I hang up crying. The customer service reps have no clue wtf they're doing. The “Analysts” are never available or a supervisor for that matter. I never get call backs, they always need something else, every time I call… again this has been going on since September 7, 2021. If you're an employer I’m begging you DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR YOUR EMPLOYER!!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

This company is full of the greedy, selfish, unqualified, and never pay up what they owe. Go ahead and keep my money and suffer the consequences as I try to put you out of business. The day after day I will be leaving a nasty review until you pay me the money you are stealing from a person with a broken neck. (How dare you!)

The Hartford author review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor