1.35/5

The Hartford - Disability

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

292 The Hartford - Disability Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been on LTD with the Hartford for about a month now. I had been told and saw so many posts on the internet about how difficult the Hartford is to work with. I can adamantly say that is NOT the case for me. I was on STD with the Hartford until that ran out and I started the process for LTD. Every single step of the way the claims adjustors returned calls promptly - or answered the calls when they were available. Each one of them took the time to explain the process, what would happen next and were so compassionate. I don't know what I would have done without the caring people at the Hartford. Yes, there a lot of forms and information needed from your health care providers but I can't imagine a review of these documents isn't necessary throughout the process and ongoing. It is so comforting to have the Hartford while I am disabled. Can't say enough good about them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I have been on long term disability since 2014. I don't know what I would have done without it. Sure they demand a lot, but they send my money on time every month. Sure they are a little difficult at times, but, they are just people trying to do their jobs. I am sure they have to deal with upset people all day. Thank you Hartford for being there for me.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I paid into long-term disability for 17 yrs. In 2013 I had a tragic accident. I broke my neck at C-2, and crushed T6 and T8. This brought my life crashing down. I am on pain medication 24/7. I have severe balance issues and severe depression. The Hartford has taken excellent care of me. At one point they even covered the cost to have my medical information sent when I didn't have the money. I can't say enough about the service they have provided to me. Without this help, I don't think I could have made it this far. I highly recommend this company to employers and individual clients.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Please be advised when using this company for short term disability, they will know everything about your case better than your doctor or specialist. They will know exactly how long it will take to heal a broken bone, hyper-extended ligaments and tendons better than the anyone dealing with your condition. If I could give them ZERO stars I would have. VERY POOR Company to deal with!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have had a horrible experience with the mental health side of the short term disability portion of my claim. My behavioral clinician or whatever she calls herself (Gina) left a message for my counselor on my voicemail. My psychiatrist has sent in so much documentation stating I am unable to work due to various mental health issues. This company has done nothing but cause me more dissatisfaction of my life and made my condition worse. They do not care about you and it is apparent that they do not believe in mental illness.

I filed a complaint with the Hartford complaint text online and the very next day my short term disability claim was denied for insufficient documentation to support my illness. I literally sit in the bed all day and now I have been out of work for over a month with no pay, having to borrow money and get in more debt. This company has no ethical concerns for any human being. I wish I knew where I could have this place shut down for their unethical behavior. I am crying and frustrated typing this message and I hate this company. I literally feel like driving to Fort Lauderdale FL to see Gina and her manager in person. ** If I could they would get a negative 1000.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have had issues with rude people on the phone which i feel they hold that against me. I have left messages and call to my case worker (Shawn). Does he work? Seems it takes 3 weeks to a month to get paid. I guess they feel everyone has tons of money laying around to cover monthly/weekly expenses. Not including medical. I appreciate their added stress to my life.

Original review: April 5, 2019

As I read these reviews, I see I’m not the only one that has had a bad experience with them. I’ve been on leave since July 2018 from Amazon. Short term disability ran out in January. I submitted my paperwork in December for long term Disability. It is now April and after submitting a thousand medical records, calling every other day and my claims manager not returning calls, no one had straightforward answers and me complaining about my claim manager. My claim is denied because of stupid pre-existing conditions not to mention I’m a dialysis patient. This company is shady and their practices, along with Amazon should be investigated.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I'm going to say not happy at all. I'm losing my house, truck so they won't go broke. $224 every two weeks...They paid 6 months, short term. Long Term was to start and got closed because of me seeing a Doctor 3 months before my medical insurance kicked in.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Dawn ** does not return your calls, can't read a file given to her, requests the file again to delay processing the claim, and will not call you back. I went on Medical leave December 23rd secondary to some medical issues. Attempted to call her as some issues arose with my insurance and coverage to get to the MD. She closed my file because she could not take the time out of her schedule to listen to why she did not get documentation. Finally I went to a specialist who diagnosed my illness. She lied that she did not get paper work that I sent on Tuesday and claimed it was Friday and lied in her documentation despite me having a fax confirmation.

The disability insurance cancels and can not be renewed if you are not working full time. So unless you're still working, have a bankroll to cover COBRA as my premium is $840 a month for health care, and have a doctor in your pocket. I threw away a lot of money for nothing. Would of made more banking it vs giving it to these vultures. March 28, 2018 still awaiting a decision. Dawn KARMA is a **.

Original review: March 15, 2019

For years I had been deducted the Hartford premiums, when I became disabled due to accident, they had me going thru hoops trying to discourage me from filing, once they couldn’t, they referred me to their advocating groups BECAREFUL, they work for them, they’re trying to shake you off, this way, or to pay even less than what they’re obligated to do. Don’t waste your money, walk from this garbage, RUN, with your hard earn money elsewhere while you can.

Original review: March 7, 2019

First let me say that I have no personal axe to grind. I'm a mental health professional. I have a client who had a legitimate short-term disability claim. They jerked me around, saying they never got things, saying they needed my notes after having given them everything they asked for, etc. This company added so much stress to my acutely mentally ill client that they are probably complicit in her delayed recovery. And she hasn't received one dime from them because they suddenly "need more information", pushing her to more financial desperation. Shame on this company. They should be investigated by an ethics board.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been off work since Oct of 2018 and now it's March 2019. Still no payment and still in review. My case has been transferred 3 times and now going to the "team lead". I was told I would get a call today from her but, she left at 3:30. I called 6 times today. It seems you pay in and they never pay you. Just like workers comp in Florida. It's all about them. My rating of the Hartford does not even deserve even a star. They lie, cheat, steal and should all lose their jobs and everything they have.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have been on LTD for 2 1/2 years, waiting for SS disability. I finally was approved, Now The Hartford says I need to pay back everything they gave me??? Not one time in the two plus years did anyone EVER say I had to pay them back. Nothing like kicking you when your down. They still are going to pay me the difference between what SS will pay me, and what they were paying. When do I have to pay that back??? If I knew that I never would have taken anything from them, and put up with the headaches of the paperwork every three months. Hasn't this happened to anyone else???

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I’m currently about out on maternity leave due to high risk pregnancy. I was originally set my leave for February 6 but unfortunately my doctor wants to induce me today. My doctor didn’t advise me of my actual date until the week before, and wanted me to get some rest since my job was putting more stress on me than normal. I call and got my noticed faxed to them the same day for my dates to change. Spoke to one representative and was advised that an analysis would give me a call to change the dates with 24 hours.

Well! Those 24 hours plus more passed and then this Tuesday I get a call from my job saying I was a no call no show, and I asked, "Did Hartford send over the request for the dates to be change?" and they stated no. I then called Hartford right after, and spoke with another representative, and he stated no action was made yet but he will resend it back to the analysis to be fix ASAP. Will be calling again to get more updates since there is not any online. VERY DISAPPOINTED I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS WHILE I'M IN THE HOSPITAL!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Went out on short term disability April 26, 2018. Took weeks for approval then my pay stopped every 3 or 4 weeks before restarting again 3-4 weeks later, leaving me without any pay at all for month at a time. When pay was sent it would only last 3-4 weeks before stopping again to get more of the same dang paperwork & info that always required being faxed 3 or 4 times before Hartford would admit to receiving it, even though Dr's office had confirmed receipts showing the faxes were sent successfully.

I'm single & no one to turn to for financial help... Hence, the whole purpose for having "protection" of my income if I ever did become to sick or hurt to work. The representative assigned to my case at Hartford was nice enough, and seemed caring. I honestly believe it was her that I owe thanks to for being paid at all, as most of decisions at Hartford are made by people who have never seen or spoken to people they pass their judgment & opinions on about their medical conditions. I was forced to miss appointments with specialists who required $150-400.00 cash upfront before I could be seen by them & had to wait 2-3 months for the privilege of even having an appointment, of course the appointment times ALWAYS ended up falling in the 3rd or 4th week that Hartford had left me without any income.

I was struggling badly, but Im to the point of wanting to just go to sleep & not wake up anymore, since my std ended in mid October, and the BS game playing, procrastination and deliberate knit picking trying to find every excuse possible to delay the process, I've had no income at all since a $250 check from Hartford mid October, it's December 31st and Im bringing in the new year with almost nothing to eat,no natural gas for heat, knowing my power will be shut off first thing in morning Jan 2nd, only have power today because of a holiday, Ive had no medicine for my pain or severe depression for over a month, cant see the dr bc Ive no way to pay them, will be 4 months behind in rent as of tomorrow and about to be in the streets, all while barely able to get up and bathe, cook or do much for myself, can barely make it out of the house to medical appointments to the two offices that still agree to see me without money, but can do nothing to help me get my meds. I'm almost out of my thyroid meds.

Long story short, I made huge mistake in "Trusting The Hartford" to protect me financially in disabling illness, because Hartford has been provided with everything I can possibly give them but somebody I have never spoken to or seen in my life, nor have they laid eyes on me to see the state I'm in, decided today to deny my claim based on lacking medical info, but they have my records from 5 doctors, who all seem to agree on my inability to work.

I expressed my hopelessness and desire to give up & die to the online chat Rep at Hartford, about 2 hours later, a local sheriff's deputy in my state & county was knocking at my door because Hartford sent them to see if I had killed myself. The whole lot of them should be put in prison, they're conniving & crooked thieves, selling false hope & protection they do everything they can to get out of delivering when it's legitimately needed.

How in the hell is it reasonable to expect someone to wait even one month, much less several without an income? How is it income protection when it's a process that leaves a person homeless, hungry & hopeless, and even sicker than they started out, as they hang on for months not knowing what in the hell is to become of them, especially when some jerk decides to deny a very sick person basically just because, since there really isn't a legit or valid reason, then they run out to celebrate New Year's Eve? Why is it people have to suffer like this and lose everything, have to end up in court and it take months & months to get what the hell Hartford sold to them and promised to protect them if they ever got too sick or hurt to work? How is this legal? What is wrong with this picture? It's fraud!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Diagnosed with 3 autoimmune disorders, 2 spontaneous fractures, over a year of IV therapies, multiple surgeries, limited use of hands, was in multiple hard casts for foot/ankle almost a year, see approx 10 regular Drs. On long term disability, constant threats, impossible requests for forms to be filled out which require at least $40 each or separate office visit just to have Dr fill out (that they won't pay for), focuses only on the one dr that won't fill them out, refuses any additional records from any other Dr I have.

So I have to obtain my own records and only has a fax # to send documents to so I have to pay to fax records, then when I do, rep more than once has stated 1 page comes through black (of course it's always the one page he needs), then forces me to resend everything since I don't know which page didn't come through, then uses that as excuse to cancel me every Dec (not sure why right before Xmas and maybe end of year helps their bonus?) and holds pay with no warning, calls and sends the cancellation letters after he has held my pay.

I was forced by Hartford to sign up for social security to collect my long term disability, was approved by SS on first application and informed Hartford so they could hold that amt from my LTD pay. Then, that wasn't good enough because Hartford has "different criteria than social security" and then they state the policy terms are changing so they will determine if you can do any job not your original field and the work doesn't have to be available to you, and they determine that with no medical background. No matter what you do, no matter how sick you are, the harassment never ends.

Have only had LTD benefits for 14 months and have had to file 3 complaints with state insurance dept. in order to get copy of my policy and get my pay released. My advice is find out what state your group policy is issued (if issued by your employer) and continue to FILE COMPLAINTS WITH THAT STATE AND YOUR STATE INSURANCE DEPTS if applicable. Make sure and attach all documents with your complaint. They are the only ones who can help. If they get enough complaints on how horrible they treat sick people, threatening and holding paychecks, embarrassments, maybe they will get in trouble. This company should be ashamed of themselves. Considering they only deal with the very sick for LTD benefits, they are true evil snakes.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I am so disappointed with The Hartford who can take money out of my account with no clarification to the fees I would be charged when I spoke with them about canceling my workers comp insurance with them. I have been paying WC for our company since it began with The Hartford. Then I started working with a payroll company who told me it be good for me to switch paying my WC insurance with them. In doing this it ending up costing me a lot more money. So when I canceled The Hartford charged me the entire amount and with that provides no service for my company nor my employees. It seems wrong when you're dissatisfied with a company that you don't have the right to cancel.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I had a very bad experience with this company. Their customer service agents are not trained well, each time I call I got different information. I had a paid family leave claim. Took so long for approval. I do not recommend this business.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Hartford is awful when it comes to short-term disability which I have through my job. They paid me up until 9/25/18. Then got a letter that I had to repay it back because my job reported that I was working while on short-term disability. However that was the purpose of having it when my sick time and vacation time ran out. I will fight this. I'm looking at all these reviews. Someone needs to start a class action lawsuit. It will be me. Someone needs to shut this business down. The staff are horrible also.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Hartford was good for the short term. Long term has been awful. It is a struggle to get the information that they require every year. And It has been 13 years of me being disabled and they still require extensive medical records and reports from the multitudes of Drs and specialist I see every year. I have gotten worse and worse physically and the paperwork is redundant and irritating for me so I can only imagine how inconvenient it is for the medical staff to gather and send off. (I see about 15 providers yearly.)

When my care providers do not submit their portions of the paperwork that Hartford requires I get threatened with having my insurance claim cut off. I provide my portions every year in a timely manner. I do not control the Drs and nurses responsible for submitting the forms from the Dr. The staff has never once been kind or understanding. They are often curt and hard nosed. This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the issues I have had dealing with the staff. I get social security because I am completely disabled and getting worse constantly. The government doesn't treat me as bad as Hartford does.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My initial short term disability leave was for anxiety, panic, and mania induced by issues at my job, and was set to expire on 11/18 so I was directed by my therapist to submit an extension request by 11/4 - I did. Unfortunately, he was traveling so he didn't submit his required paperwork until 11/15. The packet my therapist sent in was 25 pages regarding my mental health issues, medication changes ordered by my psychiatrist, and information from our therapy sessions. You can imagine my surprise when I received a phone call from the clinician reviewing my request on 12/3 asking for even more information, including a request to sign a release at my psychiatrist's office so she can have my records from him, too.

On 12/7, she contacted my therapist again and asked MORE questions and I still have no decision. I live paycheck to paycheck. I haven't received any income since 11/18. My mom had to pay my rent. My meds run out in 4 days and I have no money to refill them. I have $40 to my name and haven't paid my utility bills, bought groceries, paid my car (or put gas in it), to say nothing of my credit cards. Why is this woman treating my request as though it's coming out of her pocket?!? I've told both her and my rep that I have no income and my bills are not getting paid - the reaction was not sympathetic at all. I'm at a loss. It feels like she's looking for something to deny my extension, and I really need this time. I don't know where to turn.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I purchased thru my employer a buy in program for which I thought was for 40% not covered by my employer which pays me 60%. First off, I only received $250.00 per week until I went back to work. Second, I asked for a copy of the contract that I signed stating I would only accept the 250.00 per week and no one can find it, my HR or Hartford. Third, when Hartford made direct deposits into my checking account for the $250.00, are they required to send you a pay stub or any documentation to prove where and when and how it was calculated? If anyone has info on this, please help me out.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I slipped on black ice in Dec of 2016 and landed directly on concrete, on my right knee. My Dr knew immediately from my x-ray I shattered all my cartilage. I've been following up consistently, providing medical documentation, and appointment updates. My knee locked completely and almost sent me down a flight of stairs, I went for a follow up this past August and the x-ray revealed I essentially have 'scraps' of cartilage floating around and I know have 3 bone spurs and am 2mm away from being complete bone on bone. I am 28, healthy, good shape, and my knee has become increasingly worsening. Due to the lack of cartilage my x-rays are black other than where the spurs are, they have attempted injections and then requested an MRI be completed as the locking can cause MCL or ACL damage.

My MRI was requested on 9/27/2018. Constant follow up, consistently told it was pending, and then based on my physician needing the MRI to see what options are left I cancelled a follow up. My 'case manager' no longer existed, extension was gone and I was transferred to a 'case supervisor,' whom indicated that I apparently am showing a new injury. She stated denial info from my auth was sent to my physician and myself on 10/10/2018 ; neither the office or myself were notified, the woman was extremely rude and stated my physician 'needed to do their job' and disconnected our call. I now have to pursue legal action as my knee is about 3x larger than my left and my physician's office confirmed and recommended a company because 'nothing made sense' and that a caseworker cannot make medical determinations. DO NOT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I was approved for short term disability fairly quickly, and I’ve had to use it before, so I wasn’t expecting the nightmare that has followed. In a month I have only received about 20% of the pay I am entitled to. My first couple of deposits were way less than they should be, but I figured it would eventually even out. I was having problems with their website, so until I finally got the third person I spoke to to fix it, I couldn’t see how they were offsetting my pay by 80% because apparently they just assume I’m getting some sort of pay from somewhere else. My claim rep is the absolute worst! I’ve called multiple times, and left multiple messages, and the only two times I’ve talked to her, she answered the phone probably by accident. Not one of my messages have been called back, not one thing she said has happened.

It’s been well over a month now, and I’ve not received 80% of the money I’m owed, and it doesn’t look like she’s doing anything about it. Finally I got her supervisor's extension, but guess what...he’s off for two weeks! There’s literally no one to get any help from, no one to speak to, no one to get any answers from! I’d give this company zero stars if that was possible.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was contacted by the Hartford and any Social Security or benefits you get outside of what the Hartford pays you they will claim back and your back pay that you receive. They have horrible customer service and always threaten to take your disability away if you don't get doctors' notes when they want them rather than when they are scheduled by your doctor and furthermore they make harassing calls monthly or by mail.

I don't understand how this company can legally do some of the things or practices they have done with me and I would highly recommend that you review your long-term disability and short-term disability products that are offered by your employer before you agree to use these people as your long-term or short-term disability. The final thing I would have to say about the Hartford is just keep in mind that they will take every drop of money that you get from a claim. They will put a lien against any litigation that you have and they will also take all back pay and attempt to pay the least amount possible under whatever laws that they're protecting themselves with.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I PURCHASED upgraded coverage from my employer to the maximum level for short and long term disability from the Hartford. Upon having a serious medical issue which almost took my life resulting in several hospital stays I unfortunately have to use this policy. Upon my first filing for short term coverage I immediately ran into faxes not being received. My doctor initially indicated the minimum time was 8 months yet not only were faxes not received again and again I have to resubmit the same paperwork every month.

Now having transitioned into long term disability I am again having the issue of Hartford claiming no faxes have been received even though my doctor's office has sent them 4 separate times. Not until emailing did they acknowledge receipt. I was told it would take 5 day after receipt to process yet it has been almost 12 business days and still nothing. I have heard by my doctor this is common with Hartford. It has been over 2 months since last payment and my family and I are suffering and stuck.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I've been on disability since May 1st 2018 for my back. Last month my dr extended it and faxed all the paperwork to the Hartford. I received notification via text that they received it and I called to see if anything else was required. They told me "No, they had everything they needed" and I specifically asked "if you do, will you let me know?" and they said "yes". Four weeks later still no payments so I called and now my claim rep doesn't return the call. I finally call and talk to someone else who put me thru to my rep directly who then tells me that they "didn't get the required paperwork".

I know this is a lie because my doctor showed me what was faxed. But "now they have the paperwork they need and she was going to review it that day". And PROMISED to call me that night. Needless to say, she never did. I called the next day, once again calling to speak to someone human and not a machine. The woman told me my claim had been approved and payment was pending and I should have it by Wednesday. Wednesday came and nothing so I call again and I'm told I will definitely have the money by Friday. Well, I get NO text telling me that payment is pending.

I am in a panic. I am a single person, self providing. I have no one who can loan me money. I call today, Thursday, and I am told my claim is approved but "there is a hold on the money". No reason is given so I ask for a supervisor and SURPRISE!! I get her voicemail. No callback today. Tomorrow is Friday so I will call again but not only can I not pay bills like electric, house, car, I can't even afford my meds. Worst company ever!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I paid for long term disability insurance for years and became disabled in end of 2002 from Continental Office Furniture in Columbus Ohio. In 2008 a case manager from Hartford, rude woman called me and said literally, "GFY we are not paying you. Come sue us." Zero Doctors consulted and no review of my medical status AT ALL. I am such a dumbass and an optimist, I never sued anyone in my whole life is was against my Religious beliefs as I was raised. It is now the end of 2018 and since her call I continued to decline suffering extreme hardship and no ability to pay my Drs.

I just got out of the hospital nearly dying at age 57. 10 years they screwed me out of over 250,000. They made me suffer as much as my illness. They should be lined up and shot or imprisoned for what they did to me. If your company offers The Hartford band together and demand a reputable company RIGHT NOW. I would give negative stars. When I finally got to lawyer they said, "Sorry, you're screwed."

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I've been on disability since 7/17/2018 and still haven't received payment from Hartford. I have a very lazy agent!! He doesn't put forth any effort and keep asking for more paperwork. This is a stall tactic, if the Hartford paperwork that is given isn't sufficient they need to change the paperwork. This company refuses to pay out and will do anything from paying. I work for a bakery and I'm really hoping they will pull their account with Hartford. Both of my doctors submitted paperwork and Hartford is still claiming it's not enough!! I call B/S and it beyond my why a clinical team needs to re-review what a doctor already signed off on. HARTFORD IS A TRASH COMPANY AND NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I was attacked at work by one of my grooming clients back on February 20 2018. I now have a permanent condition called CRPS. There is no cure for what I have only pain management. I'm supposed to get surgery to put in a spinal stimulation device to help ease my pain that gets so bad. I can't function or take care of my kids without help from family let alone do my job since it affects my left arm and hand because I was tired of the no phone calls the countless emails. I got an attorney to make sure I was taken care of.

Well since I'm not playing by their rules they have denied to approve any meds for pain and procedures I need to get done before my surgery. I'm struggling everyday just to somewhat be normal. I was supposed to get an psychologist's evaluation and because it was the wrong kind of evaluation I figured they didn't need it. Now I get nothing til they get it. Even though my doctor said they need a new different one and that one doesn't matter. So tell me why they want that evaluation so bad even if the doctor said it's the wrong evaluation. They can't use it. That they think it's ok to make me suffer with unbelievable pain every second of every day.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery,, people with a chronic condition and people who cannot work at all.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky