The Hartford - Disability

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My husband injured himself-twice-at work last year, lower back. He filed a worker's comp claim- his employer uses The Hartford. The claim rep sent him a whole packet of information about coverage on medication, which doctors to see, etc. We contact this rep- Heather **- and ask when his benefits start. Several times we were told to re-submit his claim forms, as she did not have them. We got nowhere.

After about the third visit to the ER five months later, we got fed up and contacted an attorney, who is absolutely wonderful and was able to get my husband treatment OUTSIDE of the Hartford. He too was being told by the claim rep-now we have a new one, Tanya **- that they never received the paperwork I faxed to them several times.

Unfortunately my husband has gotten worse and is need of surgery, most likely a fusion. We were told this by the attorney's doctor, and by the Independent Medical Exam doctor- who was assigned to our case by the Hartford. While the case is slowly progressing through the IL worker's comp court, my husband has been out of work for almost two months, money is getting very tight, and I have to watch him suffer every day.

He can barely walk. He can no longer live a normal life. We don't know when his surgery will finally get approved. Every day I have to watch him suffer because this money-grubbing dumpster fire of a company made every excuse possible to not help us. My husband is not a pill-popping abuser of the system looking for a handout. He is genuinely hurt, and we are both hurt by this experience. Never will I ever refer anyone to this company. Rest assured I will be contacting the Illinois Dept of Insurance, even if the case settles in our favor.

There is a culture of bureaucratic red tape at The Hartford. I advise any company that's truly interested in their employee's well being to consider other options for their short term disability benefits. The reviews online speak for themselves. No matter how much doctor's notes nor how clear they are it is never enough. My Return to Work Certificate from my company's Workplace Clinic/doctor, who is a DOT Certified Medical Examiner that I CANNOT return to my driving position temporarily.

This is a legal issue and 100% legitimate and still they ask for more information. There is NO doubt that I cannot return so why don't they pay what is owed to me while gathering whatever else their policies require? The answer is simple; they have attorneys on retainer and most people get worn down trying so it is financially lucrative to delay & deny. I invite you, your company, the government or anyone this is of interest to research this company's practices as I have been on the back burner for an extension for over 10 weeks.

My husband has been paying for short-term disability with The Hartford for over 15 years. In March he had surgery and just received a payment for less than $300, this week for one week. Not to mention he has to pay them out of it weekly. We were told the 30-day waiting period is not payable. Bills are piling up, as they request more documentation in order to pay for weeks coming up. This is information that they've already received. I feel this company is scamming individuals for money. I would never recommend them to anyone. Has anyone sued this company before?

After suffering months of exposure to high levels of mold that I am deathly allergic to, I suffered an extreme reaction which resulted in asthma and vocal cord damage. Hartford was the insurance carrier for the company and denied treatment for over 4 months. During that time, I had to seek (and pay for) treatment on my own. After hiring an attorney they paid for a very limited number of treatments and medications and then began denying them. They even denied them when their own physician prescribed them.

It has been close to THREE years and I am still fighting to get the treatments and medications I need from them. I get excuse after excuse including that they haven't gotten the medical records from one of the physicians I was treated by (a specialist in asthma). However, I know they were sent to them on multiple times and they were even sent to Hartford's own physician. Every pharmacy, physician or treatment provider who has tried to work with Hartford has said this is absolutely the worst experience working with a Workman's Compensation claim they have ever had.

Medical bills have piled up and I have numerous ones in collections as a result of Hartford's denial of claims. My symptoms have gotten progressively worse because the treatment has been delayed and as a result, I may have to have surgery on my vocal cords. Reading the complaints about Hartford, it seems that there are a multitude of similar stories. It leads me to believe that Hartford categorically denies prescribed medications and treatments as a way to increase their own revenues at the expense of those who have been injured at work. I think there may be grounds for a class action lawsuit if someone looked close enough.

They don't care how they hurt or Treat people. I was nearly killed at work because the company said there were no underground power lines and there were and I struck a 13,500 volt feeder. They have denied treatment ordered by doctors and constantly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

I was receiving short-term and then long-term benefits from Hartford for 2 years and on January 10th I was told that my benefits were terminated because my attending physician didn't fill out the proper paperwork and return it to Hartford in 5 days. But the reason that he didn't was because Hartford sent the paperwork to the wrong address for the last three months that Hartford needed filled out and I only found out through my lawyer and they won't reinstate my benefits because of this (something that they caused and won't take the blame for it) but I know that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

This has taken a heavy burden on me and my family, totally changed our lives in a way that's indescribable. It should be against the law for them to do things of this sort and probably worse than this to anyone and their families and not be held accountable for this type of behavior. They should pay dearly or someone should be held accountable and lose their jobs for such an act or correct their mistake and take responsibility for what has happened. Like I said it's really tearing my family apart and the only thing they can say is wait on an appeal which could take up to 180 days. If they can't make a decision by then, they will make one in 45 days. I'm just praying that we still be living and still a family. Lord y'all pray for us. AMEN!!! SURE WISH I COULD FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST HARTFORD!

After 32 years of paying disability premiums to Hartford, they find reasons to deny my claim in order to avoid payout of benefits -- now, when I need it the most. Insurance companies are all tending this way, but Hartford is the All-In-One Leader of the Band where denial is concerned. Just look at their stats. How can these people who work there and send out one denial after another live with themselves? With the kind of pain I'm living with right now, and the information my doctors have sent to them, how could they ever come to that conclusion? It is companies like Hartford who keep lawsuits higher and help attorneys live in grand style. What a scam! Hartford, you are the worst!

My experience with Hartford Insurance has been wonderful. My Claims Adjuster is knowledgeable, courteous, and has things completed in a timely manner. She gives reasonable deadlines, and follows through when they are not met by my Doctors, or myself. She does everything possible to make sure that my claim doesn't get denied over missing information.

In the beginning everything was fine, they send out the first 3-4 weeks worth of payments just fine, then they decided they needed my medical records released from my Doctor's Office, and required ME to print out papers, fill them out and then take them to my Doctor, and then wait for my Doctor to release my information. Is it me or do they seem to go out of their way to complicate the process? They couldn't fax my Doctor's Office with these forms and make sure my Doctor has the proper numbers to fax everything back? Now they're saying my case has been closed until they receive this paperwork, my Doctor's secretary says she send out paperwork a week ago, so where is the disconnect?

I'm sorry but these Insurance companies will look for any way to get out of paying people. I did not choose this Insurance company, they're associated with my work, but I bet they all do the same shady practices, so my case is closed, have not received a payment in 3-4 weeks now, I am not back to work and don't have an expected return date yet, so what am I supposed to do to pay my bills? My case is closed they said. Wow, do you think I would ever choose to do business with them on a personal level if this is how they conduct business?

I've had nothing but problems with The Hartford. I called weeks before I was suppose to have surgery and I still didn't receive my payment after surgery. Everytime I called them, they said they had everything they needed but when it came payment time they claim they needed more information and it was information they already had! Before my surgery I was out a week at the most, due to pain from the condition that caused the need for surgery. The company I work for uses the Hartford (because they employ so many people) to make the decision if an employees leave from work should be excused or not. I had a doctor and a specialist fax in paperwork to The Hartford and yet they claim they never received them even though the doctors had confirmation numbers from when they sent them. So now I may lose my job and everything I own because the Hartford can't do their job properly!

The entire experience has been nothing but a headache to put it mildly. From the beginning, I have had nothing but miscommunication and lack of professionalism. First of all, my claim was never originally processed. I was told this was due to being "short staffed," which unfortunately is not my problem. When I am short staffed at work, which is often, there are no excuses for not doing my job. In the 12 weeks of my disability, I was able to personally speak to my "claims handler" 1 time. Due to the fact that my claim was not originally processed, I had to call repeatedly and leave numerous messages that were never returned. The most frustrating part is that no one could help me except for my claims handler who never returned any of my 20 voicemails, therefore putting me in the nonsense circle.

The one and only time I had the pleasure of speaking to my claims handler, she was condescending, unprofessional and hung up on me for no reason other than I said it was unacceptable for her to not return my calls and that being short staffed is no excuse. I did leave her boss a few voicemails that were shockingly not returned either, until I threatened legal action to his superior. I did receive a call after that incident. Bottom line, I had a very stressful recovery because of all of the hoopla I was put though and I would never recommend this company to anyone.

First off I completely agree with the last review for this company. Everyone needs to do their research on this company before they sign up for any type of insurance because you will regret signing up with them. In my situation I signed up for short term disability and I was denied my claim because I'm pregnant. I am taking this issue to my lawyer because the Hartford cannot provide me with any document that states pregnancy would be a pre-existing condition that would affect my insurance. And I had also received a call from an agent saying I was approved and they would send payment as soon as possible once I get a signature from my doctor. This company is a disaster. Do not get involved with them!

If I could leave the star blank I would. They don't even deserve a one star. Worse experience I ever had in my life. I have been facing and sending forms since the beginning and every time it's a different error they say need to be corrected. My case worker Adrea ** need to work for a collection agency because she doesn't need to handle anyone personal information especially medical. She is very rude and act she doesn't care about your concern. She cut you off in the middle of explaining the situation. Every time I call I get a different response from different people. I believe I'm going to lose my job for the lack of The Hartford at Work and Andrea **. I'm going to seek a lawyer. If depression is the cause of your leave, they will make it worse, with all the headache and trouble they put you through.

I tried to contact The Hartford at work today twice because they lost my login and claim I have never been in the system plus I do not exist when in fact I just returned to work from a 3 month FMLA which they did not make me active at work. Long story short on the first call I waited 48 minutes with no reply and on the second call 66 minutes with no reply when at the beginning of both call the automatic service claimed I had a wait time of less than 4 minutes. This is totally unacceptable. If they are short handed because it is the day after Thanksgiving then they should direct you to a voicemail option.

I am sick, and I did not have the time or energy to be treated like a nobody. I will never do business with them again and when I go out for my upcoming medical procedures I will use another company because I have a choice. I highly recommend people do their research before getting involved with a company that would treat a sick individual or any individual in this disrespectful, rude, unkind and down right ugly way... I am done with the hartford. They do not even deserve a capital letter on their company name.

The worst part about this is while you are waiting and steaming for minutes on end you have to listen to a voice tell you how important your call is to them and they will be with you in the order your call was received. Plain and simple. They had too many people out today and therefore not enough people to answer the influx of call for the day which was probably a normal one. They should have just closed and reopened next Monday. I will file an official complaint when I can find a link to do so, that I am finding difficult to do as well. I will not call though that is for sure. If they did their job, which is the only job they have to do by placing me active I would not have to do this to begin with. Anyway I am done, done, done.

My husband fell and was injured outside work. Went on std for 3 months during the months he wanted to work but his job did not offered modified. On the 3rd month he developed a lump on his right thigh and by March turn out to be cancer. He applied for Social Security Disability and went on LTD. The Hartford said he was not disabled enough for life insurance waiver. My husband died. How? Disabled. Did he had to be? He did not get any of the benefit that he should of received and myself been on disability has worsen my health to the point that I wish I was dead. I already suffer from PTSD and take mess and on top of that I have several injuries that prevent me from working. These people are liars and scammed my husband intentionally. Thank you.

This company sucks. I have been out of work since September 16th due to a shoulder injury. All forms were filled out. There was a minor error on my claim form, the form was corrected. The claim handler ask for my doctor's office to fax medical records which clearly state nonwork related. Denies my short term disability, which I'm getting ready to return to work. It's only been 7 weeks with no compensation from this group of unprofessional idiots. My bills are stacking up. Cell phone recently disconnected. It's the worst company to communicate with. I clearly can not see how this company stays in business. I cannot continue to go to my doctor's appointments because I have no money to pay my copay. This company is clearly rotten. If you have plans to buy into this company stay clear away. Find another. I'm sure they will do better than this company. The Hartford At Work BLOWS.

Don't let them take your SSDI Backpay. This is the worst company to deal with. They kept turning off my benefits and now they are totally shut down for SSDI backpay. For anyone else facing this, don't pay them because you will be terminated shortly afterwards. They can sue but can't take your social security unless there is more than 2 months of your benefits in the bank. They even want to know what my prior employer pensions are. I told them to stick it, none of their damn business.

Due to chronic D.D.D. and debilitating juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (since age 5) I recently had to file a claim with The Hartford long-term disability insurance. I cannot praise their professional, courteous and expeditious handling of my claim enough! The first phone call I received after filing my claim was from my personal rep., Joseph **. He left me feeling valued and appreciated!! And, EVERY phone call from him, or someone else from The Hartford, was the same way – it left me feeling valued and appreciated!

This was SO UNLIKE other phone calls I'd received from another insurance company when filing for a short-term disability. The rep. was disrespectful and rude! Almost everything I told her about my pain, or my mobile limitations, etc., she questioned or doubted. Without fail her phone calls ended with me feeling defeated, unbelieved, hopeless, and persecuted. So, when an insurance company comes along which has treated me with the utmost respect and dignity I MUST speak out! The Hartford has done that from day 1. I can't thank them enough, or say enough to give them the credit they deserve for their professional and expeditious handling of my long-term disability claim!! Thank you, thank you, thank you The Hartford!!

On 5/26/2016 I became physically unable to work. I am continuing to have severe upper right abdominal pain that causes me to lose my breath, makes me nauseous, dizzy headed, unable to focus, in extreme pain on my right side like I have a broken rib (but it's not). After test, blood work, and many doctors, even trigger point injections did not help... the doctors said I have a condition call "Costochodris" which is an infection of the cartilage in my rib cage. I work from home, at my computer for a call center which seeming is easy enough, however with this condition it's horrible and just breathing is extremely painful and nonstop talking is impossible let alone sitting upright for eight hours. I tried different chairs, positions, even a love seat before I went on FMLA leave to try and find a doctor to help me.

Of course I also had Hartford to fall back on so I thought, so I would not go bankrupt since I am the main income since my husband is disabled due to a stroke four years earlier. At first Hartford approved my claim, they pay me a few weeks then stop. I go approximately two months without payment. Finally after repeated attempts, phone calls, sending in multiple medical records, calling Hartford numerous times talking to supervisor, nurses, anyone who would actually act like they would help... spending countless hours doing the agent's job finding out doctors fax numbers, record department numbers, etc I got my claim started again where Hartford paid me back pay and approved me for two weeks after that. Then STOPPED payments AGAIN!

Each time they stopped payment I would call and ask why only to be told some vague answer like "You no longer meet disability requirements" and I would say "I am still under doctors care, he still will not let me go back to work of which I have sent in paperwork showing, and my condition has not changed from the last time you approved me." "How do I NOT qualify now for the same condition and reason as before?" And the agent would say a supervisor would call me back and I would never hear from anyone.

I ended up calling an attorney to ask for help, he told me to appeal, on Hartford's website there is no way to appeal so I called and spoke to my claimed agent and she told me today I would have to wait for my denial letter to come in the mail (I have never received any info from Hartford in the US mail and told the agent this info) and she explain the instructions on how to file an appeal would be in the letter and she could not give me the information over the phone. I also wrote to Hartford's legal team today, of which I have written a couple of times over this process, asking for help letting them know of my request for the appeal info and if they could and/or would send it to me but it normally takes a week or so to hear back from that department.

So I wanted to add my experience here in hopes something can be done to simplify or regulate these companies so people whom are sick and think they have insurance to fall back on really do... not just another scam. Because if the company is not held to certain guidelines they will continue to take money from people and scam on claims. Most people give up on real claims because the process is too hard because the insurance is allowed to make it hard. We need justice!!!

I have been having a great deal of difficulty with health issues, at age 62 I have now lost my health, car and home insurances due to the laziness and corrupted attitudes of the claim handlers at the Hartford. They hadn't received physician statement but failed to inform me of the electronic portal through which I could have done THEIR work. I am tired of dealing with this incompetent group of what I am assuming are lazy millennials drawing an income for no work. I have had to get assistance from an attorney to avoid another stay in the hospital (I would now have to go through emergency just to be seen). I want to say "thank you for making my life hell one year after losing my wife." I would like to say "thank you" to a particularly lazy handler but I am assuming names can't be mentioned. But then again I am assuming they are all lazy.

Crushed my foot in 2014. They started paying weekly benefits then stopped. They wanted letters. I got them big run around. My boss pays through the roof. Had to have hardware removed. Out two months not one dime. Bill piling up. They keep telling my lawyer they released payment. They are full of **.

The Hartford is an unkind, indifferent, heartless company. They make things as difficult and torturous as possible. They have no respect or compassion for me as a disabled individual they claim to help. They make me feel like a liar and thief for pursuing my legitimate claim, and they make me pursue it over and over by chasing after the same documentation again and again. How can they confirm my disability one month, and deny it the next?

They are horrible communicators; I never know what they are looking for until I call multiple times. They never receive the documentation my doctors send the first time. I end up at the mercy of the doctors' offices to be kind enough to fax it to them yet again. Their website is a complete waste of time. It only gives information I already know. This company is an embarrassment.

I've recently encountered the worst business experience with The Hartford insurance company! I recently underwent knee surgery, and have been under continuous doctors care for this injury and surgery warranted. Disability forms were frequently completed by my orthopedic surgeon, as per their request and followed all company guidelines to be continued benefits via the Hartford. Regretfully, I was informed after receiving STD benefits for my injury/surgery for 60 days that the Hartford had to discontinue my benefits, while they perform an investigation to confirm if my injuries were pre-existing! In addition, I was told that this was a company policy for "all individuals" that were receiving STD benefits! I didn't have a problem with the investigation, because I knew that I sought treatment for my knee after my insurance went into effect! Regretfully, they had already closed my case, prior to the completion of the pre-existing investigation deadline!

Additionally, within 2-3 weeks of undergoing knee surgery, I was called via The Hartford nurse, and told that she was calling to see how she could get me back to work as soon as possible! I informed her that I could barely walk, and was still walking with crutches, plus my employer didn't want me to return unless I could perform at 100%!! Considering, 99% of my work consisted of walking and standing! Meanwhile, I had called The Hartford and spoke with another representative to inquire if I would be entitled to retroactive pay, once they finished my investigation and saw that my condition wasn't a pre-existing!! I knew that it wasn't pre-existing, therefore, expected to get reinstated and reimbursed soon! Unfortunately, I was informed this week via the representative that I was no longer eligible to received disability benefits via The Hartford!

I still do not understand how they could abruptly tell someone who was actually ill, and met all guidelines and policies for this insurance that they're no longer eligible!! This organization is definitely NOT to be trusted, or used for disability, and/or any other insurance options! I feel almost certain that these insurance claim representatives are given big bonuses for denying claims that will save companies millions of dollars!! That's why they're fast-talking, sly, heartless, and non-empathetic people!! It appears that they're more concerned about their survival income, and not yours!! However, I plan to appeal this decision soon, because they're expecting people to just walk away!! I'm not the anything goes type of person! Hell No!! I refuse to go down without a serious fight/appeal!! The consumer and regulatory affairs, and the insurance licensing board need to shut them down for their obvious trickery, and illegal insurance practices!

Everyone who have posted complaints on this website can't be complaining about the same thing, if it wasn't true and factual about them!!! We live in different states, and don't even know one another, so this can't be something that everyone are conspiring against them! However, if you need a reliable insurance company with morals, high-standards, and values that stand behind their name, and their customers, then purchase Aflac!! The duck (Aflac) is really what's up!! They're highly trusted, and highly recommended by many!! I would have never experience this type of crap with Aflac, if I was still with my previous employer that had it for their employees!! It breaks my heart that I no longer have Aflac coverage!!

Moving forward, if you've been recently and wrongly denied benefits via The Hartford, fight like hell in filing your appeal, and also send a carbon copy of your letter to the consumer and regulatory affairs commissioner for further review and investigation!! You can even take it a step further by sending a copy also to the Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation within your state to prompt an investigation on their inappropriate, and/or illegal insurance practices. Wishing everyone the best!!

Why are companies allowed to rip people off and cause undue stress and anxiety? Why is the Hartford still allowed to maintain a business license? The company tells you one thing and then makes up a new rule while you try to figure out the current puzzle. I've been LTD for about a year. Got them the paperwork they needed every time. Last year they decided the doctor I was seeing was not qualified and I needed to find an MD. I was 7 months pregnant with twins and had limited mobility and already worried about complications. I spoke to the rep who was the 3rd or 4th one I had had. He was by far the most insensitive. All he had to say was per policy and we sent you letters. On top of everything else, I had been searching for a doctor who not only accepted my insurance, dealt with LTD and was able to see me prior to my due date. No luck.

I let the rep know again that I have been searching and was not able to locate anyone and that I would keep searching. My o.b. send paperwork to them for disability after delivery which lasted until the end of February. February 29th they discontinued my benefits. I saw a doctor in March and notified them that the doctor needed the forms from them. James ** (the rep), said he would send them. A couple weeks went by and I called both the doctor and Hartford to check the status. The doctor had not received the forms. At no point during any of the multiple calls did James mentioned that the doctor had to be seen prior to them cutting off my benefits. Which makes no sense, because if I had seen the doctor prior to my benefits being stopped they shouldn't have been stopped. I just wish people in this kind of business would be held to a higher standard than they are.

I cannot believe these heartless money hungry people that work for the Hartford insurance company. My short term disability was 100% legitimate and payable $99 a week on top of SDI (state disability). I called on time as I was supposed to make my claim. I was met by a monotone emotionless voice who seemed very bothered by my phone call. He took my information reluctantly and needed to call me back with their decision. Their decision?

I'm insured through my job at Sephora where I've worked for full time for 11 years. I was out with a type of heart failure that caused severe swelling and lower leg ulcers and had 100% of all my paperwork from state disability to prove my claim. So I get a very happy voice on the other end of the phone when they finally decided to call back, joyfully and ecstatically giving me the great news that my claim was denied. How could that be possible?

Apparently there was a form or document missing every time I called back to check on my status. For months. Finally the short term disability check came in a little at a time. I ended up going back to work for three months before the swelling, pain and fatigue resurfaced. My SDI WAS RUNNING OUT and I had to call the Hartford again but this time for long term disability. I was told that since the second time I had to take leave was within the 90 grace period that it was not necessary to have to open a new claim. Yet here it is, one year + and I have yet to receive one red cent.

All the requests for more paperwork and missing medical info from the countless doctors I had to see, even though a simple document from state disability stating the amounts I'm eligible for was sufficient in the end for short term disability. I ended up having no tree or presents for my three children this past Christmas because I was counting on the money from Hartford to pay for at least a tree. As it turns out, the only tree you can get for $0 is one closer to New Year's Eve.

I'm not sure that anyone there truly cares about the trouble and turmoil they put people through who are sick or injured just to hold on to our money a little longer if ever even giving it at all. I truly feel cheated and scammed by the Hartford and I will notify Sephora of their indiscretions and the suffering they cause tens of thousands of trusting people right when it couldn't be a worse time to be hassled. I told them I was in a wheelchair and would need to have special care and transport to the medical records dept when they tried to deny me based on missing doctors records. They could not have cared less and required me to do it anyway or my claim would be denied.

How do they sleep at night? I bet they get big incentives and Christmas bonuses for every minute they delay a true and rightful claim. Truly the worst business in all creation. I hope their blood money gets eaten up by law suits immediately. Mine will be one of them. When you call them, their greeting says "Thank you for trusting The Hartford!" Yes, because those gullible enough to believe in them, have and will continue to provide them with their biggest and most abundant revenue. Kudos to all of us who dare to still believe... We are the bread and butter to the ugliest most vile creatures alive on this earth. The Hartford is such a creature. In my own opinion and in the countless opinions of other Hartford victims flooding the internet's complaint/review pages. I'm not impressed.

I have a business owners policy and Hartford claims the reason for the roof caving in is not a covered loss, even though I'm having to leave these leased premises to avoid inventory losses. It's not my roof, I only own the business which is why I bought the policy in the first place. If they do not help me this small business will surely die. I am in contact with an attorney but beware, do not buy a business policy from Hartford... they will find a reason, they give you the run-around while your business dies. If you already have a policy, it's not worth the savings - if you ever really need them, they won't help you.

The Hartford is a ripoff. They have no morals or concern about you being out of work. They lie countless times. They ask for documents and say it's not what they need. "More detail" they say. The more you send the more they need and it's never enough. Endless lines of BS.

I first went out on disability in November of 2015 for a tear in my shoulder, and was out for 5 months on short term disability. Every single time the doctor put me out I had multiple problems with this company. Miscommunication was one of my main problems with them. The Hartford is absolutely horrible at sending and receiving fax papers. It was almost like I had to hold a baby’s hand thru every transaction. I've never dealt with such a horrible company in my 36 years on this planet. Yes they were that terrible!!! I don't recommend this company to anyone with an injury for short or long term disability. They're a low budget company that has no consideration for their clients. Worst company ever, save yourself the headache and go to another company because these guys have no clue what they are doing. I'm surprised they are still in business!!!

I went on short term disability because of medical issues I had and they made me pay for forms requested by them for the doctor to fill out and now they are sending me a 3rd party tax form so I have to claim the monies they paid me. What about all the forms I had to pay for them did they deduct that? Or the letter saying they overpaid me and wanted me to send them a check, did they deduct that, probably not! I only receive 66 percent of my wages and paying co-pays to all these doctors and they now want me to make a payment to the IRS for their petty monies that they re-billed me for not going to happen. I will fight this in federal court because it states that this is non-taxable money. Stating they are a 3rd party sick leave, get out of here with that nonsense. What about the premiums I paid for 8 years did you deduct that? NOPE. This company is a scam. Get rid of it as soon as you can. SCAMMERS.

Last year, the Hartford took away my monthly LTD benefits saying that I was compensated by a lawsuit award, but the award nowhere near covered my losses. So all year they have been stealing my $1,550.00 payments and applying it to what they say I need to reimburse them!! Now, these bums sent me a 1099 tax form showing that they paid me all year long when they did not!!! My wife and I are both on Social Security disability and this will cost us over $800.00 on taxes that we do not have. The Hartford is a evil and greedy company. Avoid them at all costs!!!

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.
  • Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.
  • Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.
  • Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.
  • Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.
  • Best for People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery,, people with a chronic condition and people who cannot work at all.

Compare Disability Insurance