3.8/5 (187 ratings)

About The Hartford - Disability

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

The Hartford - Disability Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford - Disability?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: March 31, 2022

I am appalled that these people can continue to do business in our country! I will not waste my time but only say that almost ALL these stories and mine in which we are "handled" are eerily similar!

1. Missing/Misplaced HIPPA paperwork/faxes
2. Fax number for Claims Department provided on website is incorrect
3. Multiple messages left for Supervisor, never returning one phone call
4. Analyst caught several times lying about doing her work
5. Time limits set on Doctors to complete paperwork when test results are not in yet
6. Analyst mentioned they were requesting a psychiatric evaluation for me because I was stressed out about the claim, which they later retracted because I spoke with my employer's upper management and filed a complaint against them.

7. After all the proof of my disability and ongoing care they still only approve a couple weeks at a time!!! Then the entire paperwork gathering starts all over again.

Someone, seriously needs to think about filing a class action lawsuit against them. If there were a way for all of us to communicate, it would be great! I think they would change their tactics... and how they handle people with disabilities! God bless!

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2022

The Hartford has to be one of the most evil, unethical companies on the face of the planet. They take people’s premiums hand over fist, but when it comes to paying out long-term disability claims, they do everything they can to make sure they don’t have to pay. I’ve read a bunch of reviews on here and realized I should leave my own. If there is a class action suit against this company I would definitely climb on board.

In my case, even the short term disability was a hassle as they kept ‘losing’ paperwork and claiming that they needed more information. I did, however, get approved for short term disability on the initial try. But I didn’t get it until six months after I filed a claim (thank goodness I have a ton of savings). By that point in time I was already in the long-term disability window, and it was very clear by my symptoms, and supported by five different doctors, that there was no way I should be going back to work.

The annoyance that was the short term disability process soon turned into the nightmare of the Hartford‘s long-term disability process. They have it set up to make it as difficult on the claimant as possible, and we are people who are already dealing with serious conditions that make it hard for us just to get through our days. We don’t need/can’t handle the monstrous process The Hartford has set up, and that’s what these sub-human devils count on.

Some of their usual moves include: saying they don’t receive faxes or mailed documents so you have to keep bugging your busy doctors to resend things, putting artificial deadlines on records requests but only giving doctors a couple days to comply, parsing every word you say to see if there is somebody else from whom they can request records and continue to drag out the process, The minute they do you get records or forms filled out from your doctor, they turn around and ask for more, then do a quick-draw denial if there is any lag time with your doctors getting them records (and I ask, how many of you know doctors who have so much time on their hands that they can spend their whole day responding to insurance requests?), so that they can get around the rules of how quickly they have to legally make a judgment on your case.

If they reopen your case after their initial quick denial once your doctors do submit the records in, you know, an actually reasonable timeframe, they have all the time in the world to draw it out and they sincerely count on you giving up all hope or maybe even dying while they stall.

In my case, I was on the merry-go-round of constantly filling out more and more forms, having to wrangle six different doctors to make sure they were getting records in and forms filled out in a timely manner (which is a lot to manage when you are a sick person who can barely even get out of bed during your day… I don’t have to tell you that it certainly hasn’t helped in the recovery process), fighting with them about supposedly lost records, etc. for almost 9 months (and this was AFTER the initial 6 months) before they finally handed all of the paperwork from all of my doctors, all saying there’s no way I had any business working, over to their own hired doctor, who has never seen you, whom I’m sure they pay very well just to contradict people’s actual doctors.

Once it got to that point, the denial came very quickly. I was already prepared for it because it was abundantly clear at this point that this was not an ethical company and I knew what they were going to do. I had a lawyer lined up already and had the letter ready to go to start the appeal process, which included requesting the entire set of records they had amassed. The cherry on top of the horror-cake that was my experience with the Hartford was the fact that instead of sending the records on a disc, like the other disability insurance company I had to work with in the past, they had somebody print out every single page and mail a hardcopy. What arrived on my doorstep was the size of two big city phone books and weighed 15 lbs.

This was what I was to hand to my lawyers for them to parse through and build their case. At that point I just had to laugh. Bravo, the Hartford. You are officially the most terrible, evil company in existence. If I knew how to come after you legally, I would be doing it. Once I get better, which I do plan to do, and I plan to do it with all of the money you owe me in hand eventually (because I’m not giving up, **), I am going to make it my business to write letters to every politician, every Attorney General, every governor, every news outlet I can to try and get some traction on making your business practices illegal, or even coming after you for your practices that are actually currently illegal, but with which you are somehow getting away. You deserve to go down in flames. Shame on you for preying on people who are at their lowest and most vulnerable. If karma exists, anyone associated with The Hartford is going to really be in for it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I have been affiliated what is this company for three years due to my job who they recommended. Now that it's time for me to actually use my short-term since I have been off work due to an auto accident my short-term was dated for 10-18-21 and I just was able to get approved on 11-22-21 after I had to call to speak to a supervisor and still want to give you the runaround and now that I'm approved they have to talk to my lawyer's office for me to be able to receive my short-term money and my lawyer's office does not have nothing to do with me receiving my short-term money before the holidays and I still have no income but I still have to play this game.

If it was you that had to go through all of this to be able to receive money that you have been investing into for 3 years I'm pretty sure you will feel how I feel. This is the worst company ever and there are not professional at all... Customer service is terrible along with their communication! Wish I never was injury because they don't care how you make it with no income since this is supposed to be GUARANTEED help that you pay for!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I have been dealing with Hartford going on 4 months now. I was admitted into a psychiatric facility due to a suicide attempt (they have ALL the paperwork from the drs, nurses, etc) back in November. I was released from the hospital 2 weeks later and Hartford then approved my pay for 9 days…which was completely fine, it wasn’t until I was released from the hospital that I would be told I needed to request an extension for additional time (my company pays me 100% disability up to 8 weeks) so I requested this time after being released, I was told I needed documentation from my psychiatrist which was actually returned to them, but they “never got it”. It was faxed 3 times.

Due to my dr telling me I NEEDED to take some time off and just focus on my mental (my mom passed back in June she was struck by a hit and run) I decided to take some time. Would I have known that I would not be getting paid for those 6 weeks after being released from a psychiatric facility I would have went against my drs wishes and went to work. I am a single mother with 3 small children I can’t afford to take any kind of break from work, I know I made a horrible mistake but mental illness is real.

I don't mean to make anyone feel bad for me but at this point I don't know what to do. I am beyond frustrated, EVERY SINGLE time I call Hartford I hang up crying. The customer service reps have no clue wtf they're doing. The “Analysts” are never available or a supervisor for that matter. I never get call backs, they always need something else, every time I call… again this has been going on since September 7, 2021. If you're an employer I’m begging you DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR YOUR EMPLOYER!!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

This company is full of the greedy, selfish, unqualified, and never pay up what they owe. Go ahead and keep my money and suffer the consequences as I try to put you out of business. The day after day I will be leaving a nasty review until you pay me the money you are stealing from a person with a broken neck. (How dare you!)

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Just an atrocious, deplorable group of people. You pay into insurance for years on end and when it comes time to actually file a claim, they FIGHT you with every fiber of their being. They will spend thousands in scandalous "peer to peer" reviews and hire a private investigator to stalk you for months if it'll save them one penny. In other words, if it'll cost you $10,000 to pay you for the benefits you are owed, but they can spend $9,999 to deny your claim, they will do so. All this while you are without income and trying to heal from an illness.

Having to file a disability claim through an insurance company like The Hartford is the fastest way to lose faith in humanity and be diagnosed with PTSD. They stall, "lose" paperwork, ask for additional information countless times, and when they finally have enough from your doctors to approve your claim, they will send it to a physician that they hired, that you've never met and whose never treated you, to tell them exactly what they want to hear --- that you are not disabled and they shouldn't pay you. This is a clear conflict of interest and collecting premiums in bad faith.

Their bad faith peer reviewing physician stated that I could walk up to 2 hours, stand up to 2 hours, or sit up to 8 hours at a time with no restrictions. The truth is I am completely bed bound virtually 23.5 hours a day. I can get to the bathroom and kitchen on my own a few times a day. I have an attorney now, and I WILL beat Hartford in court. You WILL pay me every penny of the benefits that I'm entitled to in the end. It's just a pain in the ** to have to fight it for months and pay an attorney 25%.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Date 9/9/2021. I has submitted payroll copies as well as a July 13,2021 copy of off set deduction stated on the Advantage site. On 8/15-8/21 pay statement 340.46 was deduced from pay for the stated off set flat rate deduction of 340.46. This means the off set was paid in full. Yet deductions of 340.46 were taken out again on pay period 8/22/2021 and again on pay period 8/29-9/04/2021.Making a total of 680.92 more taken than was required. I have contacted my case work about this issue. 1st on 8/24/2021 then on 9/3/2021. Again on 9/7/2021 and as yet this issue had not been fixed or replied to. I would like to have funds owed to me paid.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

What this company gets away with should be illegal! My husband has been out of work with 2 surgeries for his back. This company took 14 months to decide to deny his disability claim after forcing the doctors to fill out the same paperwork over and over again bc they can’t keep track of records. The doctor and PT say he can’t go back to work right now but rest assured the experts at the Hartford say he should be just fine. My husband is one of the hardest working people I know. To watch him struggle just to get around and have the Hartford tell him it’s all in his head is heartbreaking! If he could work trust me he would be. Also good luck contacting anybody from the company. They will respond weeks if not months later. This company is a joke! Don’t waste your time and money on this company!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Do not use the Hartford for your disability insurance! They will take your money and do everything in their power not to pay when you file a claim. First of all they are completely incompetent. I have had to call twice a week since I went on disability to follow up on the things that they said they would do. If they say they will call you back something send something they more than likely have not done it. On a couple of occasions I was told that my paperwork had not arrived but when I inquired further I that my paperwork had arrived they just had not reviewed it yet. My therapist said everything that was asked for and more yet they denied my claim twice. My therapist sent an extensive letter outlining my depressive disorder and my symptoms which prevented me from working yet they still denied my claim.

The stress of having to continuously follow up on the Hartford and the status of my claim has aggravated my anxiety and depressive disorder. I am under extreme duress facing a divorce from my alcoholic husband, taking care of a toddler by myself and my brother passed away 2 weeks ago what more do I have to go through in order to get the disability insurance that I am due?! I am in tears writing this right now but I will get what I am owed!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

LISTEN AND LISTEN WELL-Do not use The Hartford! Not effective communicators and unfortunately are taking your money or your companies money with every intent not to pay out these claims! Please contact the Attorney General's Office and report them as soon as possible. Corporate crooks!

The Hartford author review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford offers a number of insurance options, including disability insurance. It offers a large number of options and unusual benefits. such as face-to-face or telephone counseling.

• Offers multiple benefit options: Users can choose the percentage of their salary they want disability insurance to reimburse.

• Offers both short-term and long-term disability insurance: Users can purchase the type of insurance they think is most likely to meet their needs.

• Covers a wide variety of disabilities: Users who have back injuries, mental health issues and other problems that are not always covered can get disability insurance through this company.

• Offers counseling: Users who are suffering from a disability can receive three face-to-face counseling sessions and unlimited phone counseling with associated providers.

• Short-term insurance covers pregnancy: Users who cannot work while pregnant can get disability insurance benefits.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor