4.61/5
Based on 101 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GoldenCare is a privately-held, long-term insurance broker. The products offered at GoldenCare are carefully selected only from top-rated carriers in the industry. GoldenCare also specializes in critical care insurance, Life/LTC hybrid insurance plans, Medicare supplements prescription drug coverage and more.

Visit our website today to learn more about our products and obtain a free quote!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: March 29, 2018

101 GoldenCare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 29, 2018

With Dementia on the rise, I got in touch with GoldenCare, and Grace was very easy and professional to work with. She was always available to walk me through any questions I had. GoldenCare is cheaper if you start with them before you turn 50 and they're also affiliated with healthcare.

Get expert buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Based on my age and what I needed at that time, we got a long-term, three-year-policy with GoldenCare. The purchasing process was very smooth. Julie, our broker, was very knowledgeable, helpful and had good follow-through. If she didn’t know something, she would get back to us and let us know about it. She made some good suggestions as well. GoldenCare is very good. The experience was fine and I would recommend them.

Original review: March 25, 2018

GoldenCare's sales agent was very informative, punctual and answered all our questions. I was looking for coverage for long-term care and I bought a policy from GoldenCare.

GoldenCare response

Great feedback, Susan! We appreciate it!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I had an offer getting into long-term care and then I purchased the GoldenCare plan over the phone. I looked at things and made decisions, while Brenda from GoldenCare gave me information. I was impressed by her knowledge of needs that I might have in the future even though I was apprehensive and was looking forward at expenses. Overall, GoldenCare is good for the nurses, and, also, I'm happy that their premiums have not gone up.

Original review: March 15, 2018

We were advised by different people that getting a long-term care insurance is a wise thing to have in place at age of 60. I'm a nurse and there was a special price and stuff for nurses. Frank from GoldenCare was reputable, we were very comfortable working with him and he seemed to know his product so we decided to go with him and we went with Mutual of Omaha which is a long-term care product. We had several conference calls where he answered all our questions and he called us back when we had questions. My husband and I are both retired now, and my husband has stage four kidney cancer. Having a long-term care insurance gives us peace of mind as we age. We've been satisfied and I would recommend them.

GoldenCare response

Thanks Candace for taking the time to share!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoldenCare?

Original review: March 13, 2018

We got a long-term care from GoldenCare, which could be important in the future. Our rep was very personable and described everything really well. We were very comfortable working with him. We'd recommend them.

GoldenCare response

Thank you Beverly to take the time to share with others!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I wanted to protect myself if something happened down the road. GoldenCare seemed like they knew what they were doing. In addition, they were comparably priced and the customer service person was very good. The follow-up and the knowledge that their customer service rep had impressed me. Any questions I had, they answered right away. I bought a long-term care policy with Mutual of Omaha for the cost. Moreover, the insurance company had a good reputation too. Having the policy adds a little peace of mind. Plus, GoldenCare is a good company to be associated with if one is interested in a long-term care policy.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I’m a retired nurse and my last job was case management. I saw where people can’t stay in the hospital for very long because Medicare won't pay their other secondary insurances. I thought they needed further care and I figured that was going to happen to me someday. I bought a traditional long-term care plan from GoldenCare through Mutual of Omaha.

The rep seemed knowledgeable and he set everything up for me. They sent somebody out here to do a physical and I had to have some lab work. I was approved and after that, I just started to make monthly payments. I felt very comfortable working with them. Moreover, the cost has been comparable to the quality of service they provide. I have two sons and I feel that someday, they won’t have to take me into their home. I could go to a long-term facility and they could care for theirs. I won’t be intruding into their lives. I’m glad that GoldenCare took me on as a client.

GoldenCare response

Thank you Elaine we appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I'm an RN and I knew I needed some long-term care insurance. An offer from GoldenCare came through the mail. Their rep, Julie, knew what she was talking about. I liked the fact that she was able to set it for my needs and what worked the best for me and my circumstances. I also liked that there was a little bit of flexibility and she helped me navigate the waters very well. I was very comfortable working with her.

I had to have my blood pressure measured, which was fine. I did that at the Mayo clinic in Manchester, Minnesota. Mayo said that they've sent it on, but GoldenCare kept saying that they didn't get it. That was a glitchy part of it. Then I received a letter saying that if I didn't send it by this time, then they can't approve. I don't know how many times I must've submitted it. Julie was on the phone with people and the issue was worked out. It seems there must be an intermittent piece that has to do with the screening agency. I'm now a widow and I don't have children who live around me. Having the coverage is very valuable for me and gives me some peace of mind. I'm very happy with the type of coverage I have and it fits me well. I have recommended GoldenCare to some nurses that I know.

Original review: March 3, 2018

My mother has been in a nursing home for about a year and she has been to about eight different ones because they kept moving. She also got kicked out of one nursing home because of her actions, and that was the main reason we started looking for long-term care. We got the in-house care from GoldenCare. We had looked at different ones but this was the most affordable one.

My interaction with their reps was absolutely great. They came in, visited us, and talked to us. Two different people interviewed us on the phone and they made me feel very comfortable with everything. They were pretty much upfront about everything, and they had an answer for anything we asked. And if they didn't, they would get one for us. With GoldenCare, I am more relaxed and I feel that down the road, it's going to be a lot better than what we have for our parents right now. I would tell my friends to go for GoldenCare if they asked me about it. GoldenCare really cared. The product is very reasonable and it is what you get.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I'm 71 and I wanted to have a backup long term care. My husband is in an assisted living place right now so I'm using his long-term care insurance. I checked with my financial adviser and they thought GoldenCare had a very good rate. I decided that it might be a good idea to get one myself. I'm a nurse and Illinois Nurse Association was able to get me a better rate. In addition the gentleman I talked to was very helpful and adorable.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have long-term care insurance through Mutual of Omaha and got it two years back. It had good home care coverage. My interaction with the sales rep of GoldenCare was fine. He was professional and knowledgeable, and I felt completely comfortable working with him.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I’ve had several friends whose parents got sick and they lost everything they’ve had so we decided that we’ve worked too hard to get everything and we don’t want to lose everything for the kids. We purchased a long-term care from GoldenCare almost a year and a half ago. Our sales agent, Ron, was nice. He answered all the questions we had and explained everything. I was happy with him. GoldenCare is something I bought and never want to use, but I’m happy with what I got and it’s what I was looking for. I don’t have to worry about being taken advantage of so I like that. The cost is reasonable so far. They always say that there are no increases in their price and it’s always what we expect so we’re happy.

GoldenCare response

Thanks Phillip, its better to have the insurance and not need it versus needing it and not having the insurance!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I was in charge of my mother’s care - she had dementia. good thing, she had VA benefits that helped her out. I don’t have that. So, getting long-term care seemed like a smart thing to do. There’s no way to really subsidize that expense if you don’t have masses of retirement funds. GoldenCare was recommended by the ANNA. They had some special benefits for nurses. I had compared it to a couple of others and it seemed better so they won. The policy I got was thorough and even though I cringe every time I have to pay that annual fee, it gave a lot of flexibility in terms of choices between home and facility. And even though I could break down the fee, I don’t want to pay for it every month. It's far easier than $6000 a month later on.

The person I spoke with was really good about explaining everything. His name is Harry and I called him several times with more questions, and he was always good about answering them. I am impressed with his ability to inform and he did that pretty thoroughly, giving me information to read over. I don’t remember feeling pressured. Because if I was, I won't buy their product. Overall, even without dementia, I would still need some kind of help as I age because I have no children. I bought Golden Care for the future and having this coverage, I have peace of mind that my cost will be handled for the most part.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I'm a sickler and I don't want to have to go to a nursing home if something happens to me. Also, I'm nine years older than my husband and he's a busy farmer and he won't have time to take care of me. We wanted to get insurance to help if something happened to one of us. The GoldenCare representative answered our questions. We both got the long-term care but its cost is high though. I suggest that you look into GoldenCare.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Both my husband's mother and my uncle had to use long-term care and we know how it drained their finances. Our financial advisor recommended GoldenCare and did most of the paperwork for us. It seemed like it was a good deal and a good plan for what we were thinking. We purchased the traditional long-term care plan from them and if we never use it, then we'd get reimbursed for it too. I’m a nurse, so I’m hoping my husband won’t need it but if he does, then we have it. And that's kind of what we were looking at. Also, the process of getting it was fine and simple and we've had peace of mind since having it. We're happy with it.

GoldenCare response

Thanks Gail, it's good to have a plan!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

The rep was very helpful and very good to work with. I get billed for the long-term care every month, and I know I have something in place if I needed it sometime in the future. However, I don't really hear much back from the company and that's the only thing that could be improved. I would like to know that we really are doing the right things and things are in place, or just to hear from them what's going on. There needs to be more of where you feel like you're followed up with in the future and maybe once in a while. GoldenCare should be making sure if people’s needs are met, and if they have any questions, the company should let these people know that they are there for them. That's important to me. I would refer GoldenCare in a long time.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My husband died with United of Omaha, which is one of the Mutual of Omaha thing. They were one of the few insurance places that did not put me through endless paperwork wherein it was all handled with a phone call. GoldenCare is through Mutual of Omaha as well and we had a positive experience with them where everything was handled with well.

I got GoldenCare a little more than a year ago and just got a note through the Nurses Association after the first year saying that some benefits had been increased without an increased premium, so that was good news. It said, "Mail the card back if you’re interested in long-term care," so I did and then got a call from Stephanie. She was the person the card went to evidently. We talked about what I wanted and what my plans were when I could no longer live at home.

She then suggested GoldenCare as the best option for me and I knew things would be handled without putting through unnecessary misery. I consented to have them look at medical records. They also had a nurse come out and put me through the interview. As a result of an MRI that showed some spinal stenosis, I had to pay the first 90 days. It was a one-day time thing, which would have been waivered had that not evidently been there. We went with the plan that eliminated that waiver. Other than that, it was the same thing pretty much that we had discussed. It would pay for care in the home for as long as I can. But it will cover the inpatient situation too because we’d all get there eventually.

Stephanie was very helpful and nice. She would listen and if I have a question, she would answer. She also gave me alternate names just in case I needed to talk to someone for whatever reason she wasn’t available. There was a lot of back and forth over several phone calls. There was an issue at one point with the wrong social security number going on the policy and she worked with me to get that corrected. I said I wanted something in writing, stating that it had been corrected and she worked with them to get me that so that things could go forward and wouldn’t all go in under the wrong social which would have been a disaster.

There is peace of mind there knowing that one more piece is taken care of so that when the time comes all we’d have to do is make a phone a call and start the process. And then, GoldenCare kicked and of course as time went on, there’d still be portions of it that I have to pay because these things always go up. Right now, my plan is to go into one of those nice little villas. Like my mother, she and my dad started out in an independent living apartment and they were at a place where she could graduate to assisted living, and then into the nursing home towards the end of her life. My son would take over with bill paying when I can’t do it and the rest would be nursing care and a little housekeeping services at some point. I’d recommend GoldenCare.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My wife is not nearly as healthy as I would like to see her at her age. The GoldenCare sales rep that I've spoken with was very knowledgeable, professional and he knew what he wanted to show us. We had a few things that he had to call the headquarters to verify. I wouldn't have gone ahead in getting their long-term care, but the way he explained it to us, I felt that it could possibly be advantageous to us in protecting our assets and different things. We also took his advice on some things. Having GoldenCare has given us a little ease of mind.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My mom had long-term care insurance and she ended up using it. So, I thought that it would be beneficial for me to have a policy for long-term care as well. The GoldenCare sales agent seems knowledgeable about the policies and what was available. I talked to her on the phone and she came back with policy recommendations for me and my husband. I purchased the policy, and the bills automatically come out of my account, so I don’t have to worry about it.

GoldenCare response

Thanks Barbara, we appreciate it!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I want to be taken care of when I get old and I thought long-term care was something I should have. GoldenCare has a policy for Pennsylvania Nurses so I purchased one from them. I talked with someone and did everything over the phone. Their sales agent answered all my questions and was very good to deal with. The process worked and now, I know I have something when I need it.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I was taking care of my elderly mother and she had long-term care. That showed me how much I needed it myself so I started looking into getting one a couple of years ago. I talked to a representative of GoldenCare and got a traditional plan. Yet, I would like to have it cost less.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I was looking at the cost of nursing homes and GoldenCare had what I wanted at a reasonable price. The purchasing went very well and there were no problems with the girl I dealt with. I’m satisfied with what I have and I had a good experience with them.

GoldenCare response

Thanks Richard, for sharing!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

My mother has been in a nursing home since October 2012. She is getting assisted living services which costs $10,000 a month. My husband and I were helping supplement her bill every month since we didn’t want to lose any property she had. Fortunately, I ended up finding something a little less expensive because we couldn't afford $10,000 each if my husband and I would ever end up in a nursing home. We bought the traditional policy for $7000 a month from GoldenCare where they would pay up to five years. The rep came to the house and was very helpful and nice. When he left, some of the policy had to be adjusted because we wanted a deal where they would cover us forever instead of just five years. However, even though I’m very healthy, I’m a little overweight and don’t take any medicine, so they had to let me be covered for five years if I were to go to a nursing home. We made a good choice and we’re happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

We have had GoldenCare for two years now. Our agent, Steve, was really laid back, but he knew what he was doing and what he was looking for. I called him and he showed up, and then we signed up for the policy. When he got on the computer, he did a really good job. I hate insurance where my retirement pay goes, but our experience going through and getting our GoldenCare policy went well.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Our financial adviser advised us into getting long-term care. I then looked into GoldenCare and spoke with a gentleman who presented the information and gave us options that were different and that I perceived to be better for us. We purchased the traditional long-term care from GoldenCare. Our experience with the salesperson was great and low pressure. He discussed several different options and got information from us. He then made another appointment to come back. One option was not available for my husband but was available for myself and he explained why.

He gave us the information why he was not eligible and we took care of getting the paperwork signed and all the payment information set up. So, it went on over a process of about six weeks. I have peace of mind that part of the investments that we have will be protected under the plan that I have that was not available for my husband. Our children don't have to worry about this part of our care as we age.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We didn’t want to put our kids in a position that's going to cost them time away from their job to take care of us. Our daughter has health issue so we didn't want her to take care of us during our time of need. My husband did a research and found that GoldenCare was more cost-effective. We were actually going to another company but the agent of that company didn't follow through. He wasn't accurate and wasn't trustworthy. So, we had that cancelled and then we went with GoldenCare and got their traditional long-term plan. We hope that GoldenCare's coverage will help us stay at our home and get care within the home before we have to go to any type of long-term care facility. Others should check GoldenCare out too.

GoldenCare response

Hi Janet thanks fo taking the time to share! Most of us don't want our kids helping us when needed we would rather have a trained professional to avoid any burden or embarrassing moments.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Being in the health field, I know that I don't have anybody and I'm going to need some assistance as I get older. GoldenCare is cheaper to get it earlier. I had the health insurance years ago and I know it's a good company. When they sent out a card and inquired, I followed up on it. The guy who helped me was very knowledgeable. Evidently, he helped developed some of the products available. He knew the product and he individualized it to what I wanted. He also knew the answers to my questions.

The service a little expensive and the guy asked if I would be able to afford it if there was an increase in the monthly premium. At that time I was working and I said yes. But now, I can't do it if it goes any higher. Other than that, I recommended GoldenCare and my sister and brother-in-law ended up getting some too. But my brother-in-law has a lot of health issues and wasn’t able to take this packet to where the agent ended up helping and getting him something and following through with it. GoldenCare is an excellent policy and it's necessary. I recommend at least listening to see what they have to offer because with healthcare, you won't be getting any care but just getting observation then you're pushed out on your own.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Something has been going on in our minds for a while and we just decided to get a long-term care. GoldenCare’s sales agent seemed to be good, but it was a hassle to get the insurance rating that we thought we should get. Golden Care was looking for things to jack up the rate on over what we originally thought it would be. Also, we had to do a lot with letters from doctors, but we got the outcome that we needed.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

GoldenCare had better rates than other companies and bought my policy through Mutual of Omaha. At first, I was going to do a monthly payment and then my agent helped me get the quarterly program started because it was cheaper and less hassle. But the only trouble was Mutual of Omaha tried to sell me a couple of other insurance things that I wasn’t interested in and I was annoyed about that. Other than that, GoldenCare is like an investment policy and their coverage gets better every year. It goes up 3% a year, just like an investment. My coverage actually gets better with age with this type of thing. So I'd recommend it.

GoldenCare expert review by Matthew Brodsky

In business since 1976, GoldenCare is a long-term care insurance broker. They operate in all 50 states and also offer critical care insurance, life insurance, Medicare advantage plans and supplements, annuities and identity theft protection.

• Long-term care insurance: GoldenCare can compensate caregivers for expenses like gas, caregiving necessities and lost income. Their policies cover personal and custodial care, home care and care in community settings.

• Critical illness insurance: Critical illness cash benefits are paid out on the diagnosis of a critical illness and has no restrictions on use. These policies cover major health conditions like stroke, heart attack, cancer, kidney failure and paralysis.

• Life insurance: GoldenCare offers several types of life insurance, including final expense life insurance, single premium life insurance, term life insurance, universal life insurance and whole life insurance.

• Medicare advantage plans: A Medicare advantage plan allows you to access your part A and part B Medicare benefits through a private provider. This coverage can include prescription drugs, discounts and extra services.

• Independent agents: GoldenCare’s salesforce is made up of over 80 percent independent agents.

• Best for: buyers who want to purchase multiple types of health insurance from a single provider.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky