4.31/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GoldenCare is a privately-held, long-term insurance broker. The products offered at GoldenCare are carefully selected only from top-rated carriers in the industry. GoldenCare also specializes in critical care insurance, Life/LTC hybrid insurance plans, Medicare supplements prescription drug coverage and more.

Visit our website today to learn more about our products and obtain a free quote!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 10, 2017

55 GoldenCare Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My wife’s younger than I am and she’s concerned that if something would happen to me, that she would lose everything. Our GoldernCare covers two years stay. It increases the longer we have it without using it. My wife and I had a lot of questions and the sales rep, Russell, answered all of it. He explained them all very well, was patient, and listened to our concerns. I had a little bit of heartburn putting out that much money every month but he made it less painful. Having long-term care was something that we felt that was necessary. My wife could’ve waited and not included hers in with it, but it was at her insistence that we do that. It wasn’t a hard sales push and we pretty much outlined the plan that we wanted and the sales rep made it work for us. Having GoldenCare gave us some reassurance that if we do need it, that it’s there. It may be on a limited basis but it gives us peace of mind.

GoldenCare is not for everyone because a lot of the people I know doesn’t have the resources to actually pay that much money out. We’re very fortunate that we do have enough resources. I have recommended it to a few but most people are like, “I don’t need that. That’s not a problem.” It’s a personal choice whether they want that or not. Most financial people will recommend it to you, that at some time, you get long-term care. Most people should listen to that but most people don’t.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

We looked into getting a traditional long-term care as a protection for future potential liabilities regarding health and in a situation where I or my wife would need to be housed outside of our home. The sales agent from GoldenCare did a fine job. He came up to the house and we talked about a couple of different products from competing companies. He helped guide me through the option that best fit our needs. His expertise helped educate me in types of insurance packages that I really didn’t know anything about.

The whole process was fairly comfortable. The sales agent made an in-home visit at a timing that was appropriate for me. And his follow through was good, as far as phone and email coverage. Other than that, I feel comfortable with the product that we chose and felt secure going forward. Hopefully, we’ll never have to use it. It’s a rather expensive coverage but the alternative is even more expensive and devastating.

It's important that GoldenCare keep an eye out for consumers like myself. And staying in contact makes me feel comfortable and good about the product that we decided on. There’s an industry information that comes out from time to time regarding this type of product and I don’t always stay on top of it. So, getting an email that might summarize what’s happening in that field might be helpful.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I figured I was going to be needing long-term care sometime so I have GoldenCare. I saw some advertisement for a company that was supposedly ideal for nurses. So, I totally got involved in it. Their sales agent was very helpful on the phone as he explained things to me and knew what's he's talking about. The coverage I got will cover me on the day that I need it or if I have to go in a nursing home. I’m hoping that it is all okay and all in the up-and-up. I also hope GoldenCare does some follow up for I’ve often thought if I was taken advantage of or if the coverage still exist since I have the policy for a long time and I never heard from anybody since I got it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My financial planner recommended long-term care insurance and I liked the coverage that GoldenCare offered. The representative was very professional and he explained things to my satisfaction. He took a personal interest that I get the correct amount of insurance. But because of the underwriting, it took an extremely long time to have it reviewed and back to me.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Our financial adviser recommended GoldenCare and we chose the carrier company Mutual of Omaha through a flyer my wife responded to. The policy I hold with them is long-term care where I can use it until we’re old and decrepit and in a nursing home. It was the best deal at that time and we got it three years ago. Having a long-term care insurance plan protects your assets and that’s why you get them. I’ll recommend to people to get this insurance. We had a fantastic experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GoldenCare?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We are seniors and looking to retirement. We also have been taking care of my mother-in-law and my mother, who need to have long-term care insurance, so that made us think about what’s going to happen to us when we get to be that age. That is what steered us into going ahead and doing long-term care. My nursing, the State of Georgia nursing, had the GoldenCare program and offered it to the nurses so I ended up choosing them. The experience with them was excellent. The gentleman that worked with us was professional and well-informed. He answered all of our questions and reassured us. He stayed in contact with us as we were going through the process. He was professional and knowledgeable about the product that he was selling. It was very comfortable working with him. I would tell other people that it’s something worth looking into, and see whether or not it would be an option for them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I'm on Social Security disability and I have UnitedHealth and Medicare through GoldenCare. I wanted to stay on Fidelis but my GoldenCare agent told me that I was not allowed to because I am on Social Security disability. I didn’t like talking to him because he didn’t help me in any way to perform. I also don’t like UnitedHealth because I got to pay for everything and on Fidelis, I didn’t have to pay for anything. But if I wanted to stay on Fidelis, I'd have to get off the Social Security disability. I have a very low income, my wage is below poverty. I only have like $500 a month and that’s it. I don’t have enough to go to doctors or anything else.

I have manic depression and every time I use UnitedHealth or Medicare I have to pay for a doctor. So, to get my checkups and everything, it still cost me money for copays and everything else but on my other insurance, it didn’t. I couldn’t get my dentures repaired and, I have 10 year old glasses, I can't get frames because I can't afford them. My other insurance was able to pay for it. So, I'm not very happy with the health insurance I have now because of disability. I hope they listen to the applicant and everything else and not be demanding to do this or that or get off the Social Security or the disability.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

GoldenCare rejected my wife who’s a registered nurse, which was the way that they tried to have me to get some long-term care insurance. But they accepted me and I’m wondering if they would accept her. The sales agent was very understanding and he listened and tried to relate to people. So far, I haven’t had any experiences other than to pay premiums. But I'd tell a friend that GoldenCare might not take your nurse or your spouse, but they might take you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I've been having a problem with GoldenCare and I'm getting ready to cancel it. Their agent was alright, but he just didn't know enough. When I talked to him, I said I want this to be taken out of my savings account at Alabama Central Credit Union. They ended up not taking it out of my savings account, but out of my checking account. When I asked him about it he said that they can't take it out of savings and had to take it out of checking. He didn't give me enough information. I didn't get mad at him, he's got such a humble spirit. But, I'm the one who has to deal with this.

I've been paying this ever since January this year and I have not received any type of identification card from them. I called and asked them to send me an identification card so that if I'm out of it and don't know what's going on, my children can utilize it and know what to do with me. They told me that they don't have any and have never had such cards. I talked to the solution specialist, Candice, and she told me she's going to get back in touch with me in 7 to 14 days. That was back on the 12th of October and it still hasn't arrived yet.

I told them I wanted to cancel and to give me back my money. However, they said they can't give me back my money. I called the insurance commissioner here in Alabama and I was on the phone with her for a while. She called GoldenCare but didn't get to talk to Candice. She talked to some boy and was told the same thing they told me. They didn't give out cards. I'm paying $150.72 a month, but I'm receiving no value. I want to make sure that if something happens to me and I got to go into a long-term care place, my husband is taken care of. However, I'm not getting the service that I'm paying for.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

My wife was a nurse and they had a special situation where nurses could apply for long-term care policy with their spouses. So, we both applied, but we were rejected. Then, Ronald, our agent, said that I should re-apply. I was accepted at GoldenCare but she was still not accepted. it was an extensive conversation back and forth. He explained the different plans well. However, if I had been a little bit wiser, I would have probably tried to get the plan like in Indiana where you can protect some of your assets if you buy a certain amount of long-term care insurance.

I should have pursued it a little more on my end before we got it. Anyway, I got it for security especially for my wife so she would potentially have some source of money to spend if I was in a nursing home for an extended period of time. The one thing that I was concerned about is that it would go up in cost on an annual basis periodic. He told me one and so far we've made four payments, and it has remained the same as the initial payment.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

The GoldenCare agent who sold me the policy was very pleasant. She was knowledgeable as far as she could be as an insurance agent. So far, I haven’t had to use it but I’m hoping that when I do have to use it, it will be adequate.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

My daughter made me retire from work because of health reasons and I've got Medicare because I'm on Social Security disability. But someone needs to get in-touch with me and let me know what Medicare is all about. Still, I got the basic coverage and I've got my medical, hospital, and something with the prescriptions. Medicare definitely covers the expense, especially, my medicine.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I’m by myself and I wouldn’t have any children to take care of me when I get a certain age. A few months ago, I purchased a long-term care insurance and I know GoldenCare will help me in the long run. My agent was very knowledgeable, helpful, and good in explaining things. I was very comfortable working with him. I’m paying $88 a month and the experience was good. I’d tell my friends who are interested in long-term care to look into GoldenCare and see if they might be able to think about it or try to set something up for themselves.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

GoldenCare helped me set up an insurance policy three months ago and I worked at that time with the insurance agent, Harry. Recently, I was interested in getting a new insurance policy as an additional policy for my medical insurance with Medicare. I had used that insurance policy before and it was good, so I went with GoldenCare after speaking with the insurance agent, Kenneth. If a friend would ask me about getting a new policy, I would advise them to go with Kenneth.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I had a bad experience meeting someone at the store that was doing a general information on insurance disability needs, and they dropped the ball several times. I was referred to Jeff through a law firm that helps people get their Social Security disability and GoldenCare has helped me, so it was that trusted referral source. Jeff was honest, very courteous, really good with follow-up, and he followed through after his information, so it was a good experience. I was hesitant a bit because it was over the phone, but he was definitely a lot more on it than the person to person experience I had. I looked into supplemental Medicare to cover some of the Medicare cost and GoldenCare has been flawless. Jeff was amazing and very personable and he presented all the options and walked through the process, whatever would be best for me. I sincerely felt that and that’s what made me comfortable moving forward with him.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We like our GoldenCare sales agent Mohammad. He explained everything and is very trustworthy. He would say what we would get so we're happy with him. We have to contact him to make our decision for the next year, but I think the policies will remain the same. It's nice that we haven't had to pay much.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I set up a life insurance policy with GoldenCare. But their policy could be better. I'm getting charged a little extra for what it covers and I'm going to have a higher life for lesser money. They sent the policy out to somebody else and they just generally sign you up and they get the benefits of it. At least for now, I simply wanted it for the death benefit. But I bet I could find better rates for what I'm covered for. Other than that, their staff was really nice and timely. They set it up and showed up the same day. I would refer them to others.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Jeffrey, an agent of GoldenCare, came to the house and talked with me about getting a supplemental insurance to my Medicare. But I was busy then and he said he was going to come back on Friday, but he hasn’t been back yet. Nevertheless, he was good in his customer care with me and in addressing my questions and concerns. I also felt that the payments were in line with what I thought they’d be. Altogether, I had a good experience with GoldenCare.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

GoldenCare offered the moon and the stars but it wasn't true. We changed insurance because of the advice from one of the persons who called for the best insurance. He was very convincing. When we changed insurance, they cut off all our doctors. They gave us a new doctor and that doctor didn't take the insurance. They gave is another doctor, that doctor didn't take any more patients. We went through six doctors and we went back and forth, four months without treatment. I wish these people did not lie about GolderCare being the better insurance when it's not. They should discuss that if you change insurance to the new one, you are going to lose your doctor and you're going to lose your treatment. Plus, it's going to take you a while to recuperate. It took us four months to finally get somebody to see my husband. We're very unhappy and dissatisfied.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I fell and took a good spill, and I’ve been disabled on the left side. It all started as a snow skiing accident when I was in my early 30's and then that amplified to the point where I've lost my Achilles tendon. I had to get an Achilles tendon replacement and it's never been a good day since. They put a rod up through my heel, the Achilles tendon and moved it to the top of the rod by taking a tendon from my big toe. In a good world, it's supposed to be better but it's messed up so many nerves on my foot that it's like I’m standing on a block of hot ice 24/7. The more pressure I put on it the greater the pain gets. This has been going on for almost 15 years.

Medicare is my provider through GoldenCare. A company filed for my disability and they called me on the phone and the next thing I know this is what is there. It’s been a year since I got my disability but Medicare doesn't start for about eight months after they give my disability. I carried private insurance before that but now that Medicare has taken over, I didn’t keep my own private because when you’re on disability, it's almost financially impossible to do so at the current rate of insurance.

The insurance companies are getting robbed by the doctors because doctors just guess what they're doing. I’ve had eight surgeries total and I'm coming in my mid 50's. When I call my doctor, “surgery” is the first word he uses. If they'd listen to me, they'd just give me prosthesis and I wouldn't have any pain and then I could walk and work and I could live. But the doctor said they're going to run every route before he decides that for me. I told him I'm tired and that I'm sick of going to them and paying them what I pay them to get where I'm at.

I don't even get along with my personal doctor and I've never had any luck with doctors. I was born here in Asheville, North Carolina and I had the same doctor who delivered me from my mother till my mid 20's. After he retired, they sent me to another which was a lady doctor. She was a fine lady but her story is crazy. Then, my next doctor, I have so little patience because instead of me coming to see him, I was paying him to send me somewhere else. They want me to pay 3,000 or 4,000 to get to the person that might be able to help me. I'm going to try to make it till after the first of the year and then I'm going to try to find me a new personal doctor. I've been a builder my whole life, and doctors should give us the same attention that I have to give in my business.

Overall, the people from GoldenCare were more than polite. I like the guy that works on my foot and he's one of the best sports doctors there are. I don't think he intentionally messed my nerves up, but he did. It's hard to make it harsh for somebody that's done nothing but try to help.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

GoldenCare called me last year when I had just gotten Medicare. I needed an extra program because I'm only 62 and I'm on disability. I needed something for coverages because I can't get the full coverage being that I'm only 62 so I got a Medigap program, and it was Humana. However, I did not like it and I really want to change it this year. The coverage was not that great. The bills are more than I can handle and my doctor doesn't take it so I had to change doctors. I'm also not happy with the doctor that I have now, and mainly because of the extreme cost of it as far as having such a very high deductible.

Jodi did a good job and hopefully, she'll call me back. I've been trying to call about getting another coverage. I got hold of somebody today and they started to ask me about pre-existing conditions which I thought was not a factor anymore. They also asked me three times if I need pregnancy coverage. But I'm 62. She was reading off the card and she had somebody else who doesn't even handle Medicare. I didn't understand that Medicare always has the price you have to pay at the beginning of the year when you start using it. They get $154 on something on part A and something on part B.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I bought a one-time premium of $100,000 for our nursing home care. I thought it was a lot better than making monthly payments of $300. The selling point was if I use up the $100,000 plus its earnings, then it triples to 300,000. Then after 10 years, I could pull it all out again with the earnings if I want. The GoldenCare sales rep presented a lot of different options on type of plans I could get and what the monthly payments would be. We got to the annuity side of it and it seemed like it was the way to go. I have recently sold my business, so I had a little cash laying around and thought that should be a good place to put it. The rep checked with five other providers trying to show what kind of interest rates were available at that time. GILICO was almost a percent and a half above the next closest one. It was better than any of the annuities of any of the other companies I had at the time.

I purchased this at the beginning of February of this year and got a packet coming from GILICO saying that I have a plan, the amount, and its interest rate. The plan pays for fees or if we need to go into a nursing home. It covers pretty well everything so I hope I'm pleased with it. The main thing is the money is accessible. If we die, then whatever remainder split up amongst our beneficiaries. But since purchasing, I haven't heard anything from GILICO so I was hoping for maybe a quarterly report because it's supposed to be earning 3.5% interest. I got a lot of other annuities and every quarter, I get a report on them of what they've earned and what they're doing.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I was wanting some form of long-term care coverage and Arsenio from GoldenCare found his way to me. I talked to him over the phone, which is rare for me, and I liked him so I worked with him. I got an insurance policy that covers if you're in a nursing home or you need an in-home care for a certain period of time. It has defined benefits like how much you can get over a period of time. It’s basically just a way to offset a very high cost should something happen to either of us. Arsenio has called back to make sure that things went through. He came and helped us fill out the paperwork. Overall, he was pretty well-informed and easy to deal with. He wasn’t high pressure. He and I both understood I was the boss.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

My husband was in a nursing home for a while and it sucked. For that, I got a long-term care policy from GoldenCare that allows me to send x amount of dollars per week so I can stay home instead of going to a nursing home as well. I also got a Medicare for my supplemental care. Their sales agent was honest and above board, and he wasn't pushy. He presented everything, said what they're going to do and how it would cost. And then, he left the paperwork for me to read more carefully since it's easier to digest it when you're sitting by yourself. He called the next day and I got the policy, which they take from my bank account. So far, the cost of the service wasn't too bad. At 68, I thought it would be a lot more. Overall, I have recommended him.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I saw GoldenCare in a nursing magazine and that was one reason I chose them. I have this as a just-in-case thing. If some sickness prevented me from staying home, I would be able to stay a little longer. The purchasing experience was long but okay. There was an over-the-phone interview that took a couple of hours but The sales rep was knowledgeable of what was going on in the best of my interest and she answered satisfactorily to me. However, I cancelled one of the policies a couple of months ago 'cause of the expenses.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I have had some illness for a while and it concerned me. I thought I should look into that problem and it ended up that I couldn’t get long-term nursing home insurance, but the agent who helped me found a policy for in-home care. I talked to him on the phone three or four times, he met with me in-home twice and he was very nice and helpful. I compared several policies and the long-term in-home care policy seemed like the most economical for what it offered. Overall my experience with GoldenCare was very satisfactory and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I was declared disabled due to my osteoarthritis and my knees and hips. Premier Disability recommended GoldenCare to me. I had a gentleman call me, his name is Howard, and he went through what I needed. He was really helpful and helped me choose what's the best. He then suggested Humana. I purchased the prescription drug coverage and I also bought vision and dental because those are what I needed the most at my age. I started working with Howard in April of 2000 and I'm real pleased with what they've done for me and referring me to the right insurance company that would cover my need. It's time for me to sign up again so I'll call Howard and have him do that. I would tell a friend to call them if they would ask. They can tell them what they need and GoldenCare will individualize it for them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Working with GoldenCare has given me more confidence and a sense of security. I feel that I can take care of myself and my loved ones now. GoldenCare called me on the phone and explained the benefits. I enjoyed talking to the rep and felt comfortable with him. I admire his courtesy, too. Also, all my questions and concerns have been addressed. I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

GoldenCare had the best deals out there besides other providers and I got a PPO. If I was with just Medicare, I’d have to pay 100%, but with them, they pick up the rest of the premiums except for copays.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Howard, the agent with Premier, told me not to sign up for the prescription plan and signed me up for a different one. He also gave me my prescription discount cards. I'm on Medicare, which takes care of the 80% and Humana takes care of the other 20%. Things worked out well and I'm satisfied. Howard did a good job and I'd recommend him.

GoldenCare Company Information