Genworth Long Term Care

Genworth Long Term Care Insurance

4.0/5 (530 ratings)

About Genworth Long Term Care Insurance

Since writing our first policy in 1871 as The Life Insurance Company of Virginia, we've been committed to helping people achieve and protect the comfort of financial security. Today, even in this challenging environment, Genworth is strategically focused on helping more people realize the dream of homeownership and navigate the financial challenges of aging.

Genworth Long Term Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

Genworth Long Term Care Insurance based out of Richmond Virginia. My grandmother is 96yrs old and had recent hospital stays over the past few months. With that being said on 10/17 I called Genworth to get information on her policy, called back on 10/19 her health was declining. Spoke with Mary and she went over her policy, told me independent caretakers would be covered, she did not need to go through an agency. Filed a claim on 11/22 s/w with Terrada after her 9-day admission to another hospital stay. At that time I was told again the independent caregivers is a covered benefit under her policy, she even asked for their names. We had to pay out of pocket for her home care for 20 days before they will pay, the claim should be processed 30-45 days. I submitted all the requested paperwork on 12/5 to Genworth.

I called on 12/30 to ask for the status on her claim, said they received the result from the assessment on 12/22 and we will receive a letter and a phone call to me with the results. Called back again on 1/9 to follow up, this is when they stated her claim is being review for her caretakers. I asked to speak with a manager. John then got on the phone and said her claim was approved on 12/29 and the letter did not go out, but it will go out to us. He said someone would call me back within 24hrs regarding the caretakers.

Teri called me back the same day only to say again her policy doesn’t cover independent caretakers, I explained to her this was not told me and we have been paying for her caretakers that she knows and feels comfortable with since 11/21. I am now getting the run around with no results. I mention to Teri to go back and listen to my phone calls from Terrada and Mary (they always say their calls are being recorded) both said her caretakers would be covered. My grandmother has had this policy for 30yrs and never used it, her premiums increase often. I’m extremely upset I am now getting the run around from this company. Is this a real company? Why are they able to deny claims so often? Why are they giving me and others the runaround and not pay for claims? How can they get away with this?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

Talk about a company that was paid premiums for 26 years then tried to scam my 80 yr old mother into taking the premium back instead of honoring a future claim!!! It gets worse... At every turn they don't want to pay and push back constantly.... They owe my mother who meets the criteria and have paid reluctantly and with harassment though at every turn. Plus the call center is offshore so good luck resolving anything... They will say, "Don't worry. We have it taken care of. " Then 3 weeks we get another letter requesting the same exact items. Someone please start class action!!!! Oh and if considering their insurance? RUN AWAY.

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Genworth tried every tactic to refuse to pay their (small) share of my sister's nursing care while in hospice. They try to overwhelm, confuse, and exhaust you so you give up on your claim. Stories of this are all over the internet. They lie and say they did not receive paperwork that was sent numerous times! They make you call repeatedly and try to talk you in circles. They do this to families who are in states of extreme stress/grief. This is a terrible company with no conscience.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I purchased Genworth Long Term Care Ins. in my 40's for myself and my wife. I was GUARANTEED my rates would NEVER go up. I have paid my premiums ON TIME year after year and they were always the same rate I was guaranteed. Today I received a notice that they are increasing my premium by 37%. Yes, 37%. Is this even legal?? I feel so scammed for trusting that this corrupt company. Not only will I be contacting the BBB, I will also make it my life's mission to let everyone I know that GENWORTH INS. RIPS OFF THEIR CUSTOMERS. If you were on the fence about getting this ins. I can only tell you BUYER BEWARE. They will promise you one thing. They rip you off down the road. I can say honestly that I have wasted thousands of dollars with a company that will happily take your money, then try to steal from you down the road. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

My 86 year old mother has been in a Assisted Living Facility since April, 2022. In May, after 20+ days, I submitted a claim with Genworth against her LTC insurance. I have full POA for my mother and she is clearly in need of assisted living. She meets all of the criteria as she was assessed as such by her personal physician and the professional staff at the assisted living facility before she was admitted. Several weeks after the claim, we finally had a protracted (3 hour) virtual assessment via a Zoom call with a nurse who was professional and courteous. Subsequently, my mother has been notified via mail that Genworth has all the information they need and the claim is still being processed internally.

I have called and spoken with customer service 3 times since and been given the same run-around. It has now been 100 days since my mother was admitted and still no response from Genworth. Based on my interactions with this company on behalf of my mothers, I have concluded that the delays are an intentional business tactic that limits Genworth financial obligation for elderly that are rapidly deteriorating in health.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

My 87 year old father has had a Genworth LTC policy in force for the better part of 25 years. He is taking care of my 86 year old mother who has severe dementia, in their home. The amount of paperwork and back and forth over the phone that Genworth has put this poor man through, w/o yet paying a dime or authorizing anything has been nightmare.

My father has spent hours on the phone with the Genworth admin people assuring him they have all the necessary paperwork to begin the claim. Only to keep coming back, stating they can't find certain signed documents in the file, or now they need this form or that signed. I have personally assisted my father in both emailing and faxing the needed documents to Genworth in duplicate with the same results..."can't locate them in our file, will send new ones". I have sat with my father listening to the excuses given by Genworth policy admin. Genworth should be ashamed of themselves, putting policyholders through this horrible waste of time and energy. Have absolutely nothing good to say about Genworth. Stay clear of this company, there are good LTC carriers out there, this is NOT one of them.

Original review: June 23, 2022

This place is unbelievable, love you when you make payments but when you make claims the claws come out. Paid on this darn thing for 40 years. Dad passed without making a claim. Now our mother physically cannot take care of herself. We made a claim. They had a nurse FaceTime us, evaluate my mom, hummm you can't do that and have an efficient evaluation, they asked Dementia questions. Oh, and if we wanted an in person evaluation, we had to pay for it.

My mom does not have Dementia, useless facetime meeting. Before this meeting I also sent in all the doctors' information, office appointments, falling down dates and the nurse actually responded with a thank you. Weeks, weeks, later, we get a denial saying the interview was all they had to go on was this facetime and she did not pass for Dementia which was NEVER our claim. Someone lied to someone about the information I sent and this lame excuse was either removed or not reported, hummm perhaps for each denial a bonus may come their way.

Seriously, we are fighting for coverage for our mom with 3 notes from medical doctors saying "SHE MUST GO ON THIS AND NEEDS IT" and meets their own criteria. This has been dragged out long enough, months and months. We had to call to wait for hours to get someone to tell us where mom's claim stood. They never bothered to contact us on their DENIAL. Now, we are still not getting a timely response. RUN AWAY from this place, really RUN or your money will be banked and used when you really need the return. OHHH and you have to wait a 100 days after a claim to kick in, hummm, says "We hope you die before we have to payout." NO joke, this is the situation you will be stuck with.

Original review: April 8, 2022

My 87 year old mother's health has rapidly deteriorated over the past 2 months, and we've moved her to a skilled nursing unit at $311/day. That adds up to over $9,000/month, or over $112,000/year. She and my Dad paid their Genworth LTC premiums for 20+ years, and were fully paid up by 2016. We did the CareScout assessment for my mother on 3/9/22, submitted the nursing home's Care Plan for my mother, as well as ALL the required documents. The claim still says "pending decision" as of 4/8/22, so I called them and they told me it will take 30 to 45 business days for their review and decision. She could be dead by then! I do not recommend anyone buy an LTC policy, as someone else said, set up a HSA instead.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

My parents purchased and began paying premiums for a Genworth LTC policy over 25 years ago. My Mother's condition began rapidly deteriorating in September, but we were comforted by knowing their LTC investment would allow my Mother to stay in her home and receive the care she needs... only 4 months into our Genworth claims "experience", we are now frightened about being able to honor her wishes. In 4 months, we have placed $45,000 in claims and only received $1,400 in payments, which means we have been paying for the care from my Mother's savings.

We speak to friendly Genworth customer service agents twice a week, and each week it is a different story and excuse. If you are looking to buy a Genworth policy - DON'T. If you are an existing Genworth policyholder - PREPARE A BACKUP PLAN! It's really sad, as we were once comforted by knowing we had coverage through Genworth, and now Genworth's lack of business integrity is a source of fear for our family.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Do NOT buy LTC insurance from these clowns. Processing my mom's claim took 6 months, and everything is a fight. I submit a receipt that shows I paid something. They say it doesn't show payment (when it does), we fight for weeks and then they say they don't pay for that sort of thing. I moved her to a new facility. They insisted on (yet another) evaluation, and took three more months to look at it. It's approved, but it takes three more weeks to look at invoices? She has been in care for 10 months now. They paid a few bucks from five months ago, but not a dime for where she has been living for 4 months. I have paid $100,000+ out of my own pocket while we wait. They are obviously waiting for her to die, or making interest off the money they owe us. And they are nice but customer service is really, really stupid. I have to walk them through everything like they are five year olds. I hate this company, it's garbage.

Genworth author review by Matthew Brodsky

Genworth shows clients a cost comparison for long-term care insurance and the predicted cost of care in their area so they can be sure they're getting enough coverage.

• Long-term care insurance: Get coverage for in-home care, assisted living facilities, nursing homes and home modifications, including wheelchair ramps.

• Group long-term care insurance: Genworth offers voluntary programs for businesses with more than 500 employees to provide long-term care insurance at group-discounted rates.

• Care services: Genworth can connect you with professional care and caregiver solutions through CareScout.

• Online account: Review your policy and claim information through Genworth’s secure online web portal. The firm also offers online bill payment for convenience.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor