Genworth Long Term Care

Genworth Long Term Care Insurance

4.0/5 (329 ratings)

About Genworth Long Term Care Insurance

Since writing our first policy in 1871 as The Life Insurance Company of Virginia, we've been committed to helping people achieve and protect the comfort of financial security. Today, even in this challenging environment, Genworth is strategically focused on helping more people realize the dream of homeownership and navigate the financial challenges of aging.

Genworth Long Term Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth Long Term Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I purchased Genworth Long Term Care Ins. in my 40's for myself and my wife. I was GUARANTEED my rates would NEVER go up. I have paid my premiums ON TIME year after year and they were always the same rate I was guaranteed. Today I received a notice that they are increasing my premium by 37%. Yes, 37%. Is this even legal?? I feel so scammed for trusting that this corrupt company. Not only will I be contacting the BBB, I will also make it my life's mission to let everyone I know that GENWORTH INS. RIPS OFF THEIR CUSTOMERS. If you were on the fence about getting this ins. I can only tell you BUYER BEWARE. They will promise you one thing. They rip you off down the road. I can say honestly that I have wasted thousands of dollars with a company that will happily take your money, then try to steal from you down the road. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

My 86 year old mother has been in a Assisted Living Facility since April, 2022. In May, after 20+ days, I submitted a claim with Genworth against her LTC insurance. I have full POA for my mother and she is clearly in need of assisted living. She meets all of the criteria as she was assessed as such by her personal physician and the professional staff at the assisted living facility before she was admitted. Several weeks after the claim, we finally had a protracted (3 hour) virtual assessment via a Zoom call with a nurse who was professional and courteous. Subsequently, my mother has been notified via mail that Genworth has all the information they need and the claim is still being processed internally.

I have called and spoken with customer service 3 times since and been given the same run-around. It has now been 100 days since my mother was admitted and still no response from Genworth. Based on my interactions with this company on behalf of my mothers, I have concluded that the delays are an intentional business tactic that limits Genworth financial obligation for elderly that are rapidly deteriorating in health.

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

My 87 year old father has had a Genworth LTC policy in force for the better part of 25 years. He is taking care of my 86 year old mother who has severe dementia, in their home. The amount of paperwork and back and forth over the phone that Genworth has put this poor man through, w/o yet paying a dime or authorizing anything has been nightmare.

My father has spent hours on the phone with the Genworth admin people assuring him they have all the necessary paperwork to begin the claim. Only to keep coming back, stating they can't find certain signed documents in the file, or now they need this form or that signed. I have personally assisted my father in both emailing and faxing the needed documents to Genworth in duplicate with the same results..."can't locate them in our file, will send new ones". I have sat with my father listening to the excuses given by Genworth policy admin. Genworth should be ashamed of themselves, putting policyholders through this horrible waste of time and energy. Have absolutely nothing good to say about Genworth. Stay clear of this company, there are good LTC carriers out there, this is NOT one of them.

Original review: June 23, 2022

This place is unbelievable, love you when you make payments but when you make claims the claws come out. Paid on this darn thing for 40 years. Dad passed without making a claim. Now our mother physically cannot take care of herself. We made a claim. They had a nurse FaceTime us, evaluate my mom, hummm you can't do that and have an efficient evaluation, they asked Dementia questions. Oh, and if we wanted an in person evaluation, we had to pay for it.

My mom does not have Dementia, useless facetime meeting. Before this meeting I also sent in all the doctors' information, office appointments, falling down dates and the nurse actually responded with a thank you. Weeks, weeks, later, we get a denial saying the interview was all they had to go on was this facetime and she did not pass for Dementia which was NEVER our claim. Someone lied to someone about the information I sent and this lame excuse was either removed or not reported, hummm perhaps for each denial a bonus may come their way.

Seriously, we are fighting for coverage for our mom with 3 notes from medical doctors saying "SHE MUST GO ON THIS AND NEEDS IT" and meets their own criteria. This has been dragged out long enough, months and months. We had to call to wait for hours to get someone to tell us where mom's claim stood. They never bothered to contact us on their DENIAL. Now, we are still not getting a timely response. RUN AWAY from this place, really RUN or your money will be banked and used when you really need the return. OHHH and you have to wait a 100 days after a claim to kick in, hummm, says "We hope you die before we have to payout." NO joke, this is the situation you will be stuck with.

Original review: April 8, 2022

My 87 year old mother's health has rapidly deteriorated over the past 2 months, and we've moved her to a skilled nursing unit at $311/day. That adds up to over $9,000/month, or over $112,000/year. She and my Dad paid their Genworth LTC premiums for 20+ years, and were fully paid up by 2016. We did the CareScout assessment for my mother on 3/9/22, submitted the nursing home's Care Plan for my mother, as well as ALL the required documents. The claim still says "pending decision" as of 4/8/22, so I called them and they told me it will take 30 to 45 business days for their review and decision. She could be dead by then! I do not recommend anyone buy an LTC policy, as someone else said, set up a HSA instead.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

My parents purchased and began paying premiums for a Genworth LTC policy over 25 years ago. My Mother's condition began rapidly deteriorating in September, but we were comforted by knowing their LTC investment would allow my Mother to stay in her home and receive the care she needs... only 4 months into our Genworth claims "experience", we are now frightened about being able to honor her wishes. In 4 months, we have placed $45,000 in claims and only received $1,400 in payments, which means we have been paying for the care from my Mother's savings.

We speak to friendly Genworth customer service agents twice a week, and each week it is a different story and excuse. If you are looking to buy a Genworth policy - DON'T. If you are an existing Genworth policyholder - PREPARE A BACKUP PLAN! It's really sad, as we were once comforted by knowing we had coverage through Genworth, and now Genworth's lack of business integrity is a source of fear for our family.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Do NOT buy LTC insurance from these clowns. Processing my mom's claim took 6 months, and everything is a fight. I submit a receipt that shows I paid something. They say it doesn't show payment (when it does), we fight for weeks and then they say they don't pay for that sort of thing. I moved her to a new facility. They insisted on (yet another) evaluation, and took three more months to look at it. It's approved, but it takes three more weeks to look at invoices? She has been in care for 10 months now. They paid a few bucks from five months ago, but not a dime for where she has been living for 4 months. I have paid $100,000+ out of my own pocket while we wait. They are obviously waiting for her to die, or making interest off the money they owe us. And they are nice but customer service is really, really stupid. I have to walk them through everything like they are five year olds. I hate this company, it's garbage.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I actually sold LTC insurance 18 years ago. I bought a Genworth LTC policy that covers my spouse and me. Now I have been paying for 17 years and conclude I made a mistake choosing Genworth. OK, their actuarial work was terrible. But they must also have mismanaged everything. They only now are telling their policyholders the truth because they have been forced to by class action suit. I don’t think I need to advise anyone not to buy a Genworth policy because I think they are no longer selling them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

My inlaws both have Genworth Long Term Care Insurance. They have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars towards their premiums over the past 40 years. Not only has Genworth raised their premiums exponentially over the years, but now that my father in law has dementia and needs to use his benefits it has been nearly impossible and now a full time job just to get reimbursed for his care. There is no way my 75 year old mother in law would be able to wade through their red tape without my help. I'm a litigation paralegal and it's nearly impossible for me.

I have spent hundreds of hours submitting, re-submitting, re-re-submitting invoices and care logs and then calling, re-calling and re-re-calling to confirm these submissions. Genworth literally does everything they can NOT to pay out for the full benefit amount. These are my tips. 1. Make sure you have access to your policy and claims information via the online portal. Without this, Genworth will leave you in the dark and will try to get away with bad faith practices, including ignoring when your care providers submit invoices for reimbursement. 2. Do not rely on the LTC facility or in home caregiving agency to submit invoices.

3. Submit everything through the online portal yourself and DO NOT EVER FAX ANYTHING TO THEM. They will claim they never received it or there were pages missing. 4. Log into the Genworth Portal at least twice a week to check on your claims. 5. If something doesn't look right or you haven't been reimbursed after 14 days, call them and get a claims analyst to go over everything with you. 6. If an invoice is denied, they will not notify you or give an explanation - get it in writing what equipment or care has been denied and the reasons for their denial.

7. Lastly DO NOT GIVE UP. Don't let their bad faith practices and deceptive actions deter you from getting your full benefit paid out every month. They will try everything they can, and you have to outsmart them at every turn. Do not accept no for an answer until you have exhausted all possible avenues to get your reimbursements. It shouldn't be this way, but it definitely is. For instance, we submitted all of the documents needed for direct deposit reimbursements - but instead, they cut hard copy checks and mail them out causing major delays. You just have to demand they follow through. Best of luck to all on this terrible Genworth journey.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

I dread every time I need to call Genworth. They don't have a secure message system on their website and every call is on hold for 15-32 minutes. Then you have to repeat the same policy information you previously provided to get in line for the next operator. You can get the side of the business that sells policies answers their calls immediately. Such poor customer service is an indicator of what it's like to manage a policy with this company. Your money is better off in a health savings account.

Genworth author review by Matthew Brodsky

Genworth shows clients a cost comparison for long-term care insurance and the predicted cost of care in their area so they can be sure they're getting enough coverage.

• Long-term care insurance: Get coverage for in-home care, assisted living facilities, nursing homes and home modifications, including wheelchair ramps.

• Group long-term care insurance: Genworth offers voluntary programs for businesses with more than 500 employees to provide long-term care insurance at group-discounted rates.

• Care services: Genworth can connect you with professional care and caregiver solutions through CareScout.

• Online account: Review your policy and claim information through Genworth’s secure online web portal. The firm also offers online bill payment for convenience.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Advisor