Genworth Long Term Care
Genworth Long Term Care
1.31/5
Based on 216 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Genworth Long Term Care Insurance

Since writing our first policy in 1871 as The Life Insurance Company of Virginia, we've been committed to helping people achieve and protect the comfort of financial security. Today, even in this challenging environment, Genworth is strategically focused on helping more people realize the dream of homeownership and navigate the financial challenges of aging.

For millions of people across the U.S., we provide financial security and protection through long term care funding solutions. Our mortgage insurance can help you secure low down payment loans and realize the dream of home ownership faster – even for the first time. When you’re financially secure, you have the freedom to get where you want to go— no matter what path you want to take. With Genworth, you’ll never have to go it alone.

Genworth is headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, and we conduct business in all 50 states. Our main office locations in the U.S. are Lynchburg, VA, Raleigh, NC, Richmond, VA, and Stamford, CT.

View More View More

221 Genworth Long Term Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have paid for insurance for 20 years. I am now 91 years old. I NEED A WALKER. A nurse came out the 23rd of April. Said I needed one. Have been filling out forms ever since. Told me they contacted my Dr. May 3rd. It is an army hospital going thru transformation. Today I get another letter telling me I have to wait. I am sure if I need medical help I will be dead before they clear the paperwork. I wrote a letter to supposedly the head of Genworth... I hope he received it. Very disappointed with your co.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I believe Genworth needs to be investigated. I did not confirm amount of money they took from my account. Raised my premiums 51% after 11 years with them. I have given them a great amount of money. Customer service is very poor!!! Long waits on phone!!!

Get expert buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2018

My 94 year old mother paid into this scam for a number of years. I noticed that her premiums began increasing dramatically. I told her to cancel that policy about 8 or 9 years ago which she did do. So, fortunately she did not pay over 50,000 but she has enough invested that they need to honor her claims. My mother's condition is such that she can no longer live on her own without assistance. We have nursing care during the day, independent health aides at night. I am new to all of this and learning quickly the process of submitting claims is so very time consuming and frustrating beyond... do not even know the right word to say. And, for the elderly that do not have someone to do this for them I just feel like something has to be done.

I have been going back and forth faxing documents, making endless phone calls which I would estimate to be in the 60+ range. Then there is the resubmitting of documents that Genworth stated required additional information (even after the nursing company that provides the nursing care called to verify what was needed) and resubmitting them again. And, one Claims Examiner told me she could not email me a form. I am like... Are you kidding me? Who does not know how to email a form? I believe she stated it was company policy or something ridiculously stupid. I promptly called back and talked to a Customer Service Rep who told me, "Oh no, we can email forms but it would take 48 hours for that email to be sent. "

At this point, I was so irate that I say whatever, just send it. I did receive the email in about 24 hours. Not sure how emails are sent with the click of a key but Genworth's emails require 24 hours to be delivered. And, unfortunately, when I completed and resent those forms back in, I was told that the forms I had sent back in were the wrong forms. I mean it is so ridiculous you don't even know what to say. And, let me not forget the claims that mysteriously were never received. In the past 3 months through my many calls I was told 'Claims are reviewed every 30 days'. So this means if you submit a claim on the 4th of the month... it won't be looked at until the 4th of the next month. And, if they review on the 4th of the next month and additional information is needed... by the time they send you a notice of what was needed and you resend you enter into another 30 day period waiting for the claim to be reviewed.

I questioned the 30 day turnaround times of the claims and why it would take 30 days to review a claim. The customer service representative answering the phones told me, oh no, that has been changed. And at least 3 different customer service representatives told me that submitted claims must now be reviewed 15 business days from the date it is received. However, when talking to the person that actually reviews the claims, she stated that it is 30 days. Regardless whether it is 15 or 30 days they still don't pay after 100 days.

Yesterday I received a call from the Claims Reviewer (only after I called a total of 8 times yesterday and told the customer service representative I would continue to call until I got an answer as to when the claims would be processed.) The 'Claims Examiner' calls me back yesterday to tell me that she had mistakenly given me incorrect information in the months prior. She stated that home health care bills were subject to the 100 day elimination period. How are you a Claims Examiner and speak to someone for 3 months and review home health care submittals for 3 months and send requests for additional information AND NOT KNOW the charges were subject to the 100 day elimination period. I find that hard to believe that they are that incompetent. Well, actually after 3 months I do not find it hard to believe.

So, while we are on the phone and I am processing the 100 day elimination period I and I recall a document received from Genworth telling the claimant to submit the charges for the rehabilitation stay that began the claim process. The letter stated that time could be used to satisfy her 100 days. I found the letter in my file and referenced the letter and the date to the Claims Examiner. She had no recollection of such letter even though it was on Genworth letterhead. I told her I would contact the facility to ask for a billing and I would send in so those days could be used. She said, Well I will take a look at them to see if the facility qualifies.

I am holding a letter from Genworth stating the facility is an approved facility and to submit the charges. The Genworth claims examiner does not seem to know how to access letter. Are they really that dumb? I would hope not. I believe it is another stall tactic they use to hold off having to pay a claim. I am wondering if employees receive incentives for the number of claims they deny or refuse payment.

I am so outraged at this company and the grueling process of attempting to receive reimbursement for services that I have vowed that I will make sure my mother receives every penny she is entitled to. And, I am also thinking of how I can offer my services to other elderly people that do not have someone to handle this ridiculousness. To the person that posted the statement about home health care not being subject to the 100 day elimination period I would love to correspond. And, if there is any such notice of a Class Action suit I would love to be a part of.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My 96 year old mother like so many others faithfully paid this company only to get nothing but grief when she finally needed to make a claim. I spend an hour every week trying to prod them into paying as they cheerfully say over and over that they never receive the paperwork or invoices, or they will send something over to claims. They assume you will give up and I am sure most patients who do not have a advocate like myself, never receive a dime. Why isn't there a class action lawsuit going against this company?

Original review: March 11, 2018

3 rate increases in last 36 months - Took out insurance through GE Capital in 2004. A few years later Genworth took over. In 2015 there was a 15.98% premium increase. In 2017 there was a 12% increase premium increase. In 2018 just got hit with a 20% increase. Those compound to 56% over that time. That's unsustainable. At some point you know that the bait and switch is in full utilization. Come on here and read of only dissatisfaction with how Genworth was less than accommodating to those who needed to start utilizing their benefits. We consumers felt we had a vehicle to reduce our risks in old age, not so fast. They got our money to play with for decades and as old age is being reached they are taking aggressive steps to weed us out of their system. Here in Georgia, the Insurance Commissioner, Ralph Hudgens gives them a wink and a nod, a slap on the back and all but says, "YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND." Disheartening.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

First my question to all, is it a financial and HIPAA violation of all Genworth LTC Policy Holders to be acquired by China Oceanwide Holdings Group Co. Ltd without even sending informed consents to consumers? Sadly, we are outsourcing our LTC rights! Second, are USA Genworth consumers going to compromise their LTC cost and benefits on the issues of raising premiums, because Lu Zhiqiang said in a statement referred in ThinkAdvisor Oct 2, 2017, as he wants to complete this deal due to its importance to his company, as it wants to use Genworth's expertise in long-term care insurance in exchange of 2.7 billion cash to help China's 231 million residents over the age of 60.

If Federal regulators have raised question about national security concerns in connection with China Oceanwide Holdings Group Co. Ltd. to acquire Genworth Financial Inc., WHY ARE WE QUIET ABOUT THIS! As a couple we have Genworth LTC insurance since 2006. We were sold this insurance by our ex-financial adviser with an understanding that we will pay fixed higher annual premiums for the first 10 years for this joint LTC account, as long as we kept a NO claim status during this period. Apparently, this is NOT true. We received a statement this year with an increase of 51.50% in premiums after we have invested $50K into this insurance. While Genworth invested my money and made a handsome interest off my premiums all these year, makes a bargains deal with China Oceanwide Inc. Need a class action lawsuit filed ASAP!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Where do we begin. How about the wait time on the phone when you call in to get information. Next when you have someone does answer they refuse to have a customer service agent come to the house to explain WHY the premium went up 51 percent in one year. All questions have to be answered via the website or the person answering the phone. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

We have never made a claim so we don't have personal information on how well Genworth actually handles a claim. The coverage we purchased is what we expect to keep. But in order to keep our current coverage at our current premium, we will have to give up a quarter of the coverage. NOT FAIR. Yes, we did have a clause that warned us that there may be up to a 5 percent increase in a year. But we did not expect a 51 percent increase in one year. The small print in our contract states that the premium increase can be compounded. Isn't it amazing that the increase came once the company had nearly $40,000 of our money. There are options... We can get out, we lose coverage or we can pay a ridiculous higher premium. Not Fair!!! Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I wish there was a way to give zero or minus stars to this company. My mother in law paid faithfully for over 20 years to Genworth. They willingly took her money, but when it came time to get them to honor their commitment, we hit nothing but delay, roadblocks, and more delay. First, after the insured enters an assisted living facility there is a 100-day waiting period before they will make the first payment. When they do start making payments, the insured still owes three months of premium payments. I guess that is just their way of double penalizing you for having to wait 100 days for the policy to "kick in." If at any time while you are in long term care and you have to enter the hospital, Genworth will stop making payments.

My mother in law was in a wonderful facility that had multiple levels of care. When she first entered the facility, she had assisted care. Towards the end of her life, she was given total dependent care. Genworth will NOT pay for a higher level of care if the insured does not move from one building to another building. Greater level of care in the same room does not count in their eyes. We cannot warn others enough to NOT do business with this company. They have only one goal, keep their money in their pockets, and make it as difficult as possible for the policyholder to get the benefits they have long paid for.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My 95 year old father has paid premiums for almost 30 years and now that he needs in home care, Genworth does everything they can to not reimburse for his care provider. They are difficult at best and possibly criminal at worse. But hey, they always have a pleasant demeanor when they say they're working on sending his payments. Shopping for LTC? Look elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

My aunt and uncle bought long term care insurance about 30 years ago. The company is now Genworth. My uncle paid it 15 years and died before he used it. My aunt had to move into assisted living and has paid it faithfully all these years. Now they are refusing to pay for her care even though she has to have help with every day to day activity and uses a walker or wheelchair!! This company is horrible in my opinion. We are having to secure a lawyer to fight them to get what is rightfully owed to her.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Genworth Life- Long Term Care may literally be in criminal violation of several laws. Their business model is to delay, discourage, deny, and stall on administration, communication, and any other item in order to delay the payment of benefits. In fact, the business model at Genworth hopes that if they delay long enough that they won't have to pay out any benefits because your family member may become deceased.

Genworth's customer service is great when it comes to helping you pay your insurance premiums to them as they are designed to be a one-way street in which your family's money flows to Genworth. But when it is time for Genworth to honor their end of the insurance contract they are all about finding numerous tricks to delay administration and communication so that they don't have to pay benefits back to the policyholder. I knew that it couldn't have been just me that was experiencing this blatant scam and I see numerous reviews on this ConsumerAffairs site that confirm others are having the same horrible experience with Genworth.

Mom's health has been deteriorating at age 84 with lung cancer and recurring pneumonia. I followed Genworth's directions and delivered the medical power of attorney (MPOA) to them. After some time we received a letter by U.S. snail mail stating that was not good enough to appoint me as MPOA on mom's account. Now we had to drag mom out to the bank to notarize a letter stating that she "was unwilling" to conduct her business. We constructed the letter and followed Genworth's directions exactly as directed in their letter to us. Then after more time went by we received another letter stating that we now needed a physician's statement that mom was incompetent to handle her business.

If a policyholder wants to appoint a family member as power of attorney as a future precaution they do not need to be mentally incompetent. This makes no sense. In addition, it is 2017 so that documents can be delivered in seconds by use of a scanner and email. Furthermore, Genworth is very eager to collect premium payments at the time of sale of the policy to a new customer and then semi-annually thereafter. Genworth knows that the MPOA should be put in place on day one at the same time that the policy is sold to the customer. Or at the very least Genworth knows it needs to communicate about the necessity of the MPOA during each of the two premium payments that take place annually. Then when the policy is needed the MPOA is in place.

But Genworth understands that when an elderly family member is on their back and in poor health that it becomes more difficult and time-consuming for the family to put the MPOA in place. This enables Genworth to delay administration for as long as possible and this means the delay of Genworth having to pay benefits to the policyholder and family. This choice to delay administration by Genworth is not just incompetence, it is by design and an integral part of their sleazy business plan. Their hope is that they can delay paying benefits for as long as possible, even a delay of one month is a minimum goal of Genworth. This is clear as our family has been delayed a few months now just to put the MPOA in place.

Possibly, Genworth hopes that the policyholder may not have help from family at a time of bad health and maybe Genworth won't have to pay any benefits at all if they can delay long enough and the policyholder becomes deceased. Many policyholders are in very bad health by the time they meet Genworth's criteria for a claim to be valid. Genworth of course understands this fact. Genworth requires a policyholder to meet 2 of 6 criteria that are basic life skills like being able to feed one's self. So if you can't walk or bathe or feed yourself is there any question that you can't administrate over your own business? Of course not and Genworth knows this. It is a long term care policy after all.

Genworth customer service and claims people are trained to say things like, "We have to talk to the policyholder" to effect basic administration items. Genworth knows that many policyholders are in such bad shape that they can't get out of bed and can't speak. Mom can't hold a glass of water on most days now and lately she speaks two words: "can't" and "done" as in she wants to be done with life. But I can't get the sleazy insurance company people at Genworth to meet their end of the contract due to their business model to delay, deny, discourage, and stall on administration. Nice, right?

The only thing that anyone should consider Genworth for is a class action lawsuit for their unlawful conduct. Don't consider them for becoming your insurance company. Did you know that they sold out to Chinese investors? I do not believe that the Chinese have great concern for the health and well-being of our American elderly family members and parents. I am reporting Genworth to the Virginia Insurance Commissioner and looking into filing a lawsuit. This company should be called Genworthless. Don't walk away from them. Run!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We were sold long term care insurance through Genworth. We were assured at the time that we signed the contract that increases in premiums have historically been modest. We just received a new statement with a 51.5% increase in premiums. Given this excessive increase in our premiums, we assume that as we continue to age, the premiums will continue to rise at excessive rates. The company states on their website that they expected consumers to discontinue their policies and for this reason they are raising premiums 51% with no assurance that it won't continue to rise at this rate.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

The only experience I have with Genworth. As a home health aide I took care of an elderly man, covered by Genworth. They were very difficult to work with. It required a lot of paperwork, they were very particular, with how the paperwork was filled out, and if it didn't meet their expectations they would deny payment. I am currently considering LTC insurance for myself, and received a quote from Genworth... I doubt I'll choose them. I seriously think, they never expected senior citizens to live as long as we have. They have "0" integrity, and should be investigated!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I took out my long-term care policy 11 years ago. Before deciding on a plan, the salesperson presented me with printouts showing the costs and benefits of several plans from which I could choose. At the bottom of each printout it states "While our Long Term Care Division reserves the right to raise future premiums for all policyholders by state and class, it has never had to do so since it pioneered long term care insurance more than 30 years ago. And, your premiums will never increase due to changes in your health status or your age." So I was informed, in writing, that there could be premium increases.

About 2 years ago I received a letter from Genworth notifying me of future premium increases. These increases totaled 12.1% over a three year period, so I'm puzzled about the much larger increases to which other policyholders have been subjected. HOWEVER, I am concerned about the financial strength of Genworth Life Insurance Company which issued my policy. As of 11/7/17, A. M. Best gives the company a "B" which translates as "FAIR", Standard and Poor's gives the company a "B+" which translates as "WEAK", and Moody's gives the company a "B2" which translates as "POOR". Because of the company's financial weakness and the poor ratings given to it on this website I'm seriously considering self-insuring rather than paying $2,600 next year and who knows how much in the years to come for my policy.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Am 76 living in NM. In 1999 I and my spouse started paying LTC coverage premiums with the company now known as Genworth. My husband died 2009 after 3 yrs of prostate cancer treatment. While on hospice we tried to file claims with Genworth who had endless reasons why we could not benefit from the coverage we had faithfully paid for 10 years. Now 17 years later, I am told, by their customer service rep, to pay up or lose the $24,081.13 they claim I have paid. My option is to stop payment and accept 174 days of coverage, so says the "customer service" rep. I asked to receive this information by email as well as in a letter to be mailed to me at my postal address. At this date, I have received nothing. When and if a class action suit is initiated, count me in. Genworth's goals and objectives are perverse. Genworth is a company focused exclusively on blind greed. Genworth's behavior is criminal.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We also just received the rate increase by 50%. Unbelievable! 7yrs no increase ever and then hit with 50% jump. This seems criminal to us and I will be looking into this. What's the point of buying LTC insurance if they price you out before you can use it. Our agent said the same to us as all of you, no increase, locked in price. Buy now while you are young and healthy because the premiums go up every year if you don't lock it in. I will be calling DA office to start with. This just is not right to those of us who try to do the right thing in protecting our families.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Genworth Financial sold a number of its LTC contracts with assurances of their sales people in their presentation that the contract was as good as gold since it was backed by General Electric. A big factor in our decision to use Genworth as our LTC carrier. Years pass, the only correspondence we receive is our annual bill. A few years ago that all changed. Our premiums were increased. The COLA provision was removed and the benefit amount was capped at its value at the policy year end. That amount was in excess of $600,000 dollars.

Knowing LTC costs were increasing and knowing it at the time we purchased our contract the 5% increase in benefit payments was an important part in our decision to purchase a LTC with Genworth. I asked if there would be any more premium or other contract changes in the future. I was told "no" this would be it and not to worry Genworth was safe. A year has passed and we just received our annual premium notice. The new premium has increased by about 25%. This was accomplished by reducing the number of years of benefit payments from 10 to 6. A 40% decrease in benefits.

Genworth has its struggles, but the draconian measures being used against its LTC policyholders is to shore up its financial problems is not fair or moral. Many of us who purchased LTC when we were younger and in good health are being punished now for making a decision to protect our families assets by trusting Genworth and GE. I have to say that trust has been broken. My wife and I counted on Genworth to be our partner in making sure we could leave an estate to our children and grandchildren without having to worry about the cost of LTC in our twilight years. Now that the time is nearing that one of us will need to call on our "partner" to fulfill the promise they made to us. Their answer will be, "We still will give you the same reduced coverage from the last premium increase, but the price has gone up 58%. If you want to pay the premium we will pay you about half of what we promised."

If as of today this company is still trying to sell LTC contracts my advice is "just say no". This company is unfair, has a strategy or acts like it does to push people out of their contracts to survive or sell. Where are our State Insurance Departments? I truly hope they are looking at Genworth's ability to pay its claims long term. I am very, very concerned for my family and all of the other thousands of families being penalized because Genworth's actuaries did not price their product correctly when they issued them.

Unless they head in the sand did they not see the statistics regarding longer life expectancy, an upsurge in LTC use about the time these contracts might be used? Everything an experienced actuary needed to make reasonable pricing projections certainly was readily available. One might start to think. Could it be good marketing to sell the concept of buying young at a lower premium and saving money and not stressing the fact we really don't know what our claims experience will be? I feel as if I have been taken advantage of by Genworth. Don't let it happen to you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

6 years ago when my wife and I took out our long term health policy, we were told that this premium would never increase. Having paid the same for the past 6 years we just received our renewal with a 60% increase. This is criminal. I of course will stop paying into this company since nothing is to stop from continuing to increase premiums and the policyholder can kiss all of their money goodbye.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My husband has been struggling with a long-term, degenerative, terminal illness called Multiple Systems Atrophy for about four years. One of the symptoms is a habit of falling over backwards. About a year and a half ago I called Genworth, wanting to activate the policy to obtain a stair climber. They said that he wasn't eligible, because he didn't fail 2 of the 6 ADLs. I asked if he would have to fall backwards down the stairs to become eligible, and they responded, "yeah, pretty much."

Six months later he fell backwards down the stairs, putting his head through the drywall at the landing. He was then eligible for his long term care benefits. They qualified him for the stair climber, 7 day a week care, or care in an assisted living facility in January. In May they sent out a nurse to see how he was doing. A month later they told me that he is now "capable of independent living" and cut off the benefits. Keep in mind that Multiple Systems Atrophy only goes one way: a slow, agonizing decline until death. I have now filed an appeal and contacted a lawyer.

This is not the picture they painted ten years ago when they sold us the policy. We have been paying them a stiff premium for ten years that has increased over and over again. We shouldn't have to fight them for the benefits that he deserves at the worst time in our lives, but there it is. My lawyer said that they do this because they can. They hope that I will be too tired or sad or sick to fight it. They think that the storm of paperwork and stalling will beat me, but they don't know yet. I am the storm.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Writing in for the individual I care for who took out a policy 15 years ago. Was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. After months of phone calls and paperwork they refuse to pay for any home care which is provided for in the policy. This person is unable to live alone but is early for institutional care. Why should I keep paying premiums??? I am wondering if they are going to decline assisted living and memory care? They also tried to pass a bogus increase along last year. This company is not in my opinion honest. They are not in the long term care business. They are in the collect premiums and refuse desperate customers care business!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My mom took out her LTC policy with Genworth in her early 60's. Her policy has lifetime benefits and covers dementia. Her husband died ten years ago and she was not safe to live on her own. I filed a claim for her and moved her into an assisted living near myself. Genworth sent out a nurse to investigate and her claim was approved based on her dementia. They've been good about sending a check every month that covers $60 per day. Now, suddenly, 9.5 years later they called me about her. They asked a bunch of questions about her activities of daily living. She is 89yo in two weeks. She can still bath, dress and eat. Her problem is she has dementia. She can't remember anything and would be lost in a second. They ask me if she's confused and I think I said not exactly, she just can't remember anything!

She's not safe to live alone, can't drive a car, cook, or go anywhere alone. I got legal guardianship about 8 years from the courts because I was concerned about someone trying to get access to her estate. It was granted. Because I said she wasn't confused all the time Genworth is now wanting to come out and investigate again. I'm busy all the time, work two jobs, take mom to doctor appts, spend time with her etc. I don't want Genworth harassing her. It makes her angry and makes her angry at me.

I think they are just trying to cause problems because they don't want to pay her claim. It's a lifetime policy. She could go on another ten years. I had always been happy with Genworth, but I'm really angry about this. They agreed to talk to her neurologist and PCP, so hopefully maybe that will put this to rest. If they cause problems I'm going to file a complaint with the insurance commission and talk to moms elder attorney. My stress level is really high now because of this.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Just received the announcement for mine and my husband's renewal for September 2017 and the rate has increased 70% (this is their stated percentage in the letter). So now what? After paying into this for many years, with increases right along, do we cancel this and lose everything we invested? Or do we continue and expect more rate increases? It doesn't seem like this is a reliable company anymore in paying claims but at our age, (76 and 72) we're stuck. This is just wrong!

Original review: July 12, 2017

My Mom bought a LTC policy 25 years ago - back then they were all called nursing home policies. Even though the policy provides for custodial care - now referred to as assisted living - they won't honor the policy because she is not housed in a nursing home proper. A former Genworth employee said that years ago the company sent out letters about the change in coverage (to allow for assisted living) and it was presented as an opt out option. Of course nobody opts out. But they won't admit they did that. Does anyone have experience with the nursing home policy argument?

The claims admin at the assisted living facility says she can confirm at least one other person in house has same policy and it was eventually approved but HIPPA prevents sharing specifics. So frustrated by the run-around. It's been crazy. The claim was denied before they even had all required paperwork from facility - a sure "tell" of how it would be. Since then - I have been passed around by one individual after another who isn't qualified to answer questions or be accountable. Scoundrels. It is a system designed to be inefficient without a means for resolution. Either genius or pure stupid - neither is good.

Original review: June 23, 2017

My mother had a Genworth policy for over twenty years. Recently she became ill and we filed a claim. After four-plus months of foot-dragging plus dozens of phone calls to an agent who never answered the phone and took days to call back, the claim was approved today. Unfortunately, Mom died yesterday. The agent told Mom that she had a one hundred day exclusion period for home health care. This was untrue. Mom spent the last four months of her life worried sick and not getting the care that she needed because Genworth did not fulfill its promises.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I have experienced the same overnight predatory premium increases described by most previous posters. I was offered the same unsatisfactory 3 options as all, and I declined them all. My policy was then terminated by Genworth due to "Lack of Premium Payment". After a long exchange of correspondence with Genworth, they finally threw me a bone, they offer to pay benefits up to the amount of premiums paid during the life of the policy (in my case $ 40,000+). This measure is not in any way part of the policy I bought. It is a newly suggested offer (apparently made to all who persisted long enough in their complaining).

The fact that no provision for this exists in the purchased policies suggests that this may constitute an acknowledgment of unusual conduct by Genworth when they increased the premiums with no guarantee that it would not be repeated at any time. At any rate, a Class Action Lawsuit has now been started (Dec 28, 2016) on the exact topic addressed by most posters in this blog. It accuses Genworth of a hoax.

Original review: May 24, 2017

My husband and I purchased two long term care policies when I was 43 and he was 58. Since we were purchasing two policies to cover each of us we were told that if we both lived for seven years after the signing date that my premiums would then be free of charge. We rolled the dice and agreed to the high cost of both policies but felt we were in good shape for the next seven years. When it came time to sign the final documents I did not see this rider language in the policy. Stan assured me that it was there and not to worry. My husband had purchased a life insurance policy from him years back and we felt we had a good relationship so we trusted him. He even called my husband each year on his birthday which we thought was very nice.

When I turned 50 we asked Stan about my fees now dropping due the fact we had lived seven more years, luckily. He said he did not know what we were talking about and he never said that. We were shocked to say the least. We thought we were two intelligent business people doing the best we could to prevent the worse but felt stupid we had been taken for a ride. We still have the policies and now Genworth has sent us a notice that our bill is increasing (once again) now by $500 annually. Thanks so much for the customer service Gen once again!! Luckily, we are still healthy and I'm searching desperately for a new carrier. Long story short - read the fine print and don't trust what the salesman tells you otherwise. And if you do, and he calls you on your birthday, hang up.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Repeating what everyone else has written. Bought the policy from our broker at Morgan Stanley and was told that the premiums would not go up. We all know what happened. Between my wife and I, $50,000 down the drain. Customer service (very nice operator, with a hard job, so that why I gave five stars. She was polite and helpful as one can be when reading a script) tells me to suck it up as their agents sometime told people things that were untrue. Why is someone not suing this company?

Original review: May 22, 2017

For quite a while, I have had grievous concerns about Genworth Financial. Besides having increased their premium rates, they have a history of being late in paying claims. My last claim, which was due for reimbursement on May 12th, is now ten days late, and, no response from my most recent inquiry. On top of this, they have also violated my rights under HIPPA and have harassed myself and some of my care providers. The bottom line, I believe the company is failing and if the takeover by China Oceanwide does not happen, people are going to be hurt very badly. Not only that, they continue to sell these policies!

Original review: May 8, 2017

Got my new statement for 2017 and the three-year plan, (I once had the four-year) has risen in the Dallas area by $500. I guess the industry knew this and so they fashioned their 2016 choices. So many of us would make a mistake and choose the three-year plan over the four-year plan by mixing them up on the choices we could make. I sure wish the State Insurance Agency would investigate their practices. I just need to vent my frustrations.

Original review: April 25, 2017

We have all experienced the recent 50%+ increase in Genworth LTC insurance premiums since they were purchased by China Oceanwide. Each of us has two senators and one congressman. Write them and encourage legislation to help those of us who feel we've been misled. One point to make, if you read the fine print, even if you discontinue premiums, you still get some very limited coverage up to the cost of the premiums you paid to that point.

Genworth Long Term Care Company Information