Genworth Long Term Care
Genworth Long Term Care
1.30/5
Based on 228 reviews that contain star ratings

Genworth Long Term Care Insurance

Since writing our first policy in 1871 as The Life Insurance Company of Virginia, we've been committed to helping people achieve and protect the comfort of financial security. Today, even in this challenging environment, Genworth is strategically focused on helping more people realize the dream of homeownership and navigate the financial challenges of aging.

For millions of people across the U.S., we provide financial security and protection through long term care funding solutions. Our mortgage insurance can help you secure low down payment loans and realize the dream of home ownership faster – even for the first time. When you’re financially secure, you have the freedom to get where you want to go— no matter what path you want to take. With Genworth, you’ll never have to go it alone.

Genworth is headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, and we conduct business in all 50 states. Our main office locations in the U.S. are Lynchburg, VA, Raleigh, NC, Richmond, VA, and Stamford, CT.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

233 Genworth Long Term Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We are facing a 57.75% premium increase this year and projected an even larger one next year! I started my LTC policy 8 years ago and have only 2 years to meet the 10-year paid-up policy. This was my way of assuring my family that IF anything happened to me, they would have a way to care for my physical needs. But, at age 72, I feel I cannot afford this drastic increase and their reduced options leave me feeling that the high premiums I have invested are now lost to an unethical company. Paying any further premiums is likely just throwing more money away. PLEASE include me in any class action suit! This is simply WRONG!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Premiums have increased 90% in the first 10 years of our policy. Since we bought a specific cash payout ($100/day+5% per year), the actual cost of LTC care should not come into the equation. The implication is that my wife is twice as likely to need LTC as they thought 9 years ago. Unlikely, just fraudulent pricing and reserve accounting to snooker the PA Dept of Insurance. Given their equally bad record of paying up when services are needed, we are going to discontinue the policy. For which we get a "benefit" equal to what we have already paid in.

We started the policy when my wife was 55, she is actuarially unlikely to make a LTC care claim for another 20 years, by which point, because of inflation, the paid in amount will buy about a day of nursing home care. What they should give us in a full refund plus a modest interest rate on what we could have been earning on the paid premiums so we can invest it as hedge our eventual LTC needs. Yes, please sign me up for any class action lawsuits going.

Get expert buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Made a claim for my wife upon discharge from 23 days in the hospital. Their nurse came quickly to "assess" her. Even the most biased observer could instantly tell she needed assistance. After two weeks, they were "reviewing" the nurse's assessment. Another week later they were still "reviewing." I had already paid the home care agency and was reluctant to run up a giant bill only to have the claim denied. The need for help diminished and we stopped it. Every time I called, I got the feeling they were "stonewalling" me in the hope I'd give up. A month after the nurse came and all the claim forms were in, they paid. After reading the litany of extremely poor reviews, I see I was not imagining things. I am just glad I was here to be her advocate.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I purchased a long term care policy through Genworth in 2012. At that time it was not made clear that my policy did NOT include a non-forfeiture rider, in fact, according to Genworth's customer service representative, the rider was never offered to me. It was not a part of the group policy. Since contacting Genworth in June to let them know of my coming retirement in September, at which time I would need to be billed personally as the monthly payment would no longer be paid out of my paycheck, I have not received even 1 accurate bill that needed to be paid by 10/1/18. Over numerous phone calls, I was told that each bill was incorrect as everything was done by computer, and no person saw the bills before they were sent to me. I was told to just subtract one month from the final inaccurate bill, and that would be fine.

My antenna is now waving many red flags. If a company can't send one accurate bill following my retirement, can I trust them with my money for services I might not need for 30 years. My online research in the past few weeks has shown that Genworth has received only a C+ rating from the BBB, is not BBB accredited, and multitudes of people are seriously unhappy with Genworth's services and lack of follow through on promises made when purchasing the policy. I am also very concerned that the company has been fiscally unstable in recent years and that to solve their financial problems, my money and future care will now be in the hands of a company in China. I have canceled my long term care policy with Genworth and am very interested in any future class action lawsuit in the hopes of getting back the money I have already paid to Genworth.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My mother has given this company thousands of dollars over the years. She is in assisted living and meets the criteria spelled out in her policy to qualify her for distribution of benefits. They will not pay and keep blocking. She's 94, almost blind, needs a walker, help with medications and daily dressing. It's costing her a fortune, yet Genworth says they need more time to review. This has been going on for 6 months. I now call them every day and get no real answers other than, "it's in review."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This company should be investigated, every year I receive an increase in the policy premium. When will someone look into this. As I get older I cannot afford higher premiums. When I Purchased the policy I bought what I could afford for the coverage I needed and the salesperson assured me this was the best way to go. But I was forced to take less coverage because I could not afford the premium increase each year. All the years I paid the premium and the end result may come to not being able to afford any coverage at all. That as you can see was false presentation. That's why it's rated one star.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Stay away from Genworth insurance, do not deal with this insurance company. Just over twenty years ago I took out a policy and made payments on time each and every year. My policy has now more than doubled. When I called about this increase the rep told me the policy will increase two to three hundred dollars each month going forward. No claims against this policy. Just a increase. I guess the mistake I made was first choosing Genworth, second not dying during the first twenty years. I’m now 52 searching for insurance. Class action suit? Yes.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

My husband and I took out LTC policies with then-GE Colony in 2004. When GE sold to Genworth (I think about 2006-07), I was very concerned about what would happen. There were no large immediate rate increases, but the premiums have spiked hugely the past 5 years -- in 2018 our premiums will be almost $5200 - we started at $3400. Genworth sent a letter to advise us that we could call them to discuss options to reduce our premium. I spoke with a woman who answered all of my policy questions -- unfortunately there are NO good options for us.

I also requested information on how Genworth handles claims and she had NO information whatsoever on that, and transferred me to a Claims manager. He went through the steps and I am going to provide them here because HE WOULD NOT SEND THEM TO ME IN WRITING. He said that is company policy, and even his manager would not send them. Nothing on the claims process exists in writing, apparently. I pointed out to him that, even if we have good coverage, fighting for payment is not a BENEFIT to anyone, especially when one is sick.

So I will share the process here from my notes, and if anyone can validate or add to this, please do: 1) No coverage for 90 days. After that, for home care - 2) A nurse's visit and assessment is required. The assessment must be approved by Genworth to determine that you are either cognitively or physically unable to care for yourself FOR THE LONGTERM (i.e. 90 days or longer, i.e. permanent/chronic debilitation, not recurring or intermittent). 3) A plan of care is then drawn up, which Genworth must approve. It can take 2 weeks for the nurse to visit and up to 30 days for approval, so all of this is taking 4 - 6 weeks - that's after the first 90 days.

4) If you are in a facility, you must advance payment to the facility for at least the first month, since the facilities require it, and Genworth only pays reimbursements. If you have home care with an Agency, the agency will invoice Genworth directly - or so he said. But I would like to hear if someone out there has done this, and the results. Did Genworth pay the Home Care agency promptly? Finally if you have home care with an independent provider, they have to fill out two forms - the first an ICP form to get signed up and "approved" by Genworth, and the next to invoice them, he mentioned a grid with dates and hours. The Policy lady told me Genworth pays monthly only for home care - the claims manager said they pay within a month from invoice - these are two different things.

So, a frustrating phone call all around. My impression: they have the policy details down pat and they are very clear - after all, that's about what you pay them. They are sending all of that to me in writing - "in 5 - 7 business days" (no email over there, I guess, hmmm.) The claims process is a total smokescreen. That's about what they do for you, and there is nothing inked on that. I would like to hear from couples. If one of you canceled, did it cause the other's premium to spike?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My husband & I just received letter from Genworth today, essentially informing us that they're reneging on the policies we purchased YEARS ago, by increasing the cost over the capped & agreed to annual increase rate. OR the state as an alternative that we can opt for several grades of "lesser" programs. First thing that comes to mind is we need to band together for a class action suit if we intend to have any say with a big company like Genworth. Does anyone know if a Class Action Suit has been initiated. Also, posting negative reviews on social media, Facebook (on Genworth's FB site) can also go a long way.

What irks me even more about this is not only how unethical it is, but that I called our insurance agent back in February 2018, expressing my concern over a WSJ article I read that stated Genworth sold all their holdings for these policies to China Oceanside Holdings Group Ltd (without notifying us) and also that from the sound of this sale, etc, these might be "red flags" that policyholders like ourselves, should be concerned about. My agent did some research and assured me that Genworth had a RBC (Risk Based Capital Ratio) rating of 400, which means they were very healthy and had $4 of surplus for every $1 of claim received.

From researching the comments it also appears Genworth is very strategically "phasing" these huge price increases for its policyholders, perhaps because they wanted to avoid a simultaneous time coordinated uprising by outraged policyholders who might be smart enough to band together and get a class action suit going against them. Power in numbers is the only way we'll get justice with an uncaring & well protected powerful corporate entity like Genworth. Please advise if you have knowledge of any pending action or means to organize all of us against this terrible injustice. Worse yet, to hit older people, who after years of paying premiums, at the time when they might finally need that policy. Or maybe they're banking on that we're an older population who will just roll over and allow these injustices.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My husband and I did everything right. We decided, rather than turn assets over to our children and stick the state with future LTC costs, to get insurance. We got policies through Genworth (the cream of the crop, lol) when we were 57. After donating to this company for ten years they send us a letter telling us that within two years our policies are going to increase 72.800 percent. I asked my agent, "Is that even legal?!!" The letter stated that increases were because of multiple claims coming in. My agent said that he had more (inside) information that they screwed themselves by investing OUR money unwisely--they lost bundles while stock market is at an all-time high!!! I told him, "I could have put my money in high-risk investments instead of having Genworth "experts" do it!" We are done immediately with this company. I will contact our attorney and accountant and make some important changes.

Original review: July 13, 2018

My mom signed up for Genworth Long Term insurance at some point when I was not around, after my father passed away. The agent was not from our city and had someone else with her who she said she was training. The agent told my mom she would come back at a later date, a few weeks later, to go over everything and answer any questions mom still had. Well, that was about 20 years ago and now that person's (the agents) phone is disconnected. I called Genworth and was advised they did not show anyone servicing our account and that WE would have to find an agent in our area. How can Genworth not see who their own agents are?? I live in a community of about 57,000 and have no clue what to do now. I read these other post about how Genworth operates and am getting very angry. I think I will contact a lawyer and the state of Oklahoma Insurance Commission to see what can be done about all this. My mom is 83 now and not doing very well.

Original review: July 5, 2018

My wife and I took out LTC policies in 2012. After 6 yrs of paying small increases in our annual premiums, we were notified that starting Aug. 2018 our premiums are increasing 51.5%. We are at the point now that we would be wasting our 5 yrs. of premiums if we dump them. Genworth said this was all legal because an actuarial audit had been performed by them to verify the increases are required. Talk about the fox guarding chicken coop. I've written both of my congressperson about this.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have paid for insurance for 20 years. I am now 91 years old. I NEED A WALKER. A nurse came out the 23rd of April. Said I needed one. Have been filling out forms ever since. Told me they contacted my Dr. May 3rd. It is an army hospital going thru transformation. Today I get another letter telling me I have to wait. I am sure if I need medical help I will be dead before they clear the paperwork. I wrote a letter to supposedly the head of Genworth... I hope he received it. Very disappointed with your co.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I believe Genworth needs to be investigated. I did not confirm amount of money they took from my account. Raised my premiums 51% after 11 years with them. I have given them a great amount of money. Customer service is very poor!!! Long waits on phone!!!

Original review: May 9, 2018

My 94 year old mother paid into this scam for a number of years. I noticed that her premiums began increasing dramatically. I told her to cancel that policy about 8 or 9 years ago which she did do. So, fortunately she did not pay over 50,000 but she has enough invested that they need to honor her claims. My mother's condition is such that she can no longer live on her own without assistance. We have nursing care during the day, independent health aides at night. I am new to all of this and learning quickly the process of submitting claims is so very time consuming and frustrating beyond... do not even know the right word to say. And, for the elderly that do not have someone to do this for them I just feel like something has to be done.

I have been going back and forth faxing documents, making endless phone calls which I would estimate to be in the 60+ range. Then there is the resubmitting of documents that Genworth stated required additional information (even after the nursing company that provides the nursing care called to verify what was needed) and resubmitting them again. And, one Claims Examiner told me she could not email me a form. I am like... Are you kidding me? Who does not know how to email a form? I believe she stated it was company policy or something ridiculously stupid. I promptly called back and talked to a Customer Service Rep who told me, "Oh no, we can email forms but it would take 48 hours for that email to be sent. "

At this point, I was so irate that I say whatever, just send it. I did receive the email in about 24 hours. Not sure how emails are sent with the click of a key but Genworth's emails require 24 hours to be delivered. And, unfortunately, when I completed and resent those forms back in, I was told that the forms I had sent back in were the wrong forms. I mean it is so ridiculous you don't even know what to say. And, let me not forget the claims that mysteriously were never received. In the past 3 months through my many calls I was told 'Claims are reviewed every 30 days'. So this means if you submit a claim on the 4th of the month... it won't be looked at until the 4th of the next month. And, if they review on the 4th of the next month and additional information is needed... by the time they send you a notice of what was needed and you resend you enter into another 30 day period waiting for the claim to be reviewed.

I questioned the 30 day turnaround times of the claims and why it would take 30 days to review a claim. The customer service representative answering the phones told me, oh no, that has been changed. And at least 3 different customer service representatives told me that submitted claims must now be reviewed 15 business days from the date it is received. However, when talking to the person that actually reviews the claims, she stated that it is 30 days. Regardless whether it is 15 or 30 days they still don't pay after 100 days.

Yesterday I received a call from the Claims Reviewer (only after I called a total of 8 times yesterday and told the customer service representative I would continue to call until I got an answer as to when the claims would be processed.) The 'Claims Examiner' calls me back yesterday to tell me that she had mistakenly given me incorrect information in the months prior. She stated that home health care bills were subject to the 100 day elimination period. How are you a Claims Examiner and speak to someone for 3 months and review home health care submittals for 3 months and send requests for additional information AND NOT KNOW the charges were subject to the 100 day elimination period. I find that hard to believe that they are that incompetent. Well, actually after 3 months I do not find it hard to believe.

So, while we are on the phone and I am processing the 100 day elimination period I and I recall a document received from Genworth telling the claimant to submit the charges for the rehabilitation stay that began the claim process. The letter stated that time could be used to satisfy her 100 days. I found the letter in my file and referenced the letter and the date to the Claims Examiner. She had no recollection of such letter even though it was on Genworth letterhead. I told her I would contact the facility to ask for a billing and I would send in so those days could be used. She said, Well I will take a look at them to see if the facility qualifies.

I am holding a letter from Genworth stating the facility is an approved facility and to submit the charges. The Genworth claims examiner does not seem to know how to access letter. Are they really that dumb? I would hope not. I believe it is another stall tactic they use to hold off having to pay a claim. I am wondering if employees receive incentives for the number of claims they deny or refuse payment.

I am so outraged at this company and the grueling process of attempting to receive reimbursement for services that I have vowed that I will make sure my mother receives every penny she is entitled to. And, I am also thinking of how I can offer my services to other elderly people that do not have someone to handle this ridiculousness. To the person that posted the statement about home health care not being subject to the 100 day elimination period I would love to correspond. And, if there is any such notice of a Class Action suit I would love to be a part of.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My 96 year old mother like so many others faithfully paid this company only to get nothing but grief when she finally needed to make a claim. I spend an hour every week trying to prod them into paying as they cheerfully say over and over that they never receive the paperwork or invoices, or they will send something over to claims. They assume you will give up and I am sure most patients who do not have a advocate like myself, never receive a dime. Why isn't there a class action lawsuit going against this company?

Original review: March 11, 2018

3 rate increases in last 36 months - Took out insurance through GE Capital in 2004. A few years later Genworth took over. In 2015 there was a 15.98% premium increase. In 2017 there was a 12% increase premium increase. In 2018 just got hit with a 20% increase. Those compound to 56% over that time. That's unsustainable. At some point you know that the bait and switch is in full utilization. Come on here and read of only dissatisfaction with how Genworth was less than accommodating to those who needed to start utilizing their benefits. We consumers felt we had a vehicle to reduce our risks in old age, not so fast. They got our money to play with for decades and as old age is being reached they are taking aggressive steps to weed us out of their system. Here in Georgia, the Insurance Commissioner, Ralph Hudgens gives them a wink and a nod, a slap on the back and all but says, "YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND." Disheartening.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

First my question to all, is it a financial and HIPAA violation of all Genworth LTC Policy Holders to be acquired by China Oceanwide Holdings Group Co. Ltd without even sending informed consents to consumers? Sadly, we are outsourcing our LTC rights! Second, are USA Genworth consumers going to compromise their LTC cost and benefits on the issues of raising premiums, because Lu Zhiqiang said in a statement referred in ThinkAdvisor Oct 2, 2017, as he wants to complete this deal due to its importance to his company, as it wants to use Genworth's expertise in long-term care insurance in exchange of 2.7 billion cash to help China's 231 million residents over the age of 60.

If Federal regulators have raised question about national security concerns in connection with China Oceanwide Holdings Group Co. Ltd. to acquire Genworth Financial Inc., WHY ARE WE QUIET ABOUT THIS! As a couple we have Genworth LTC insurance since 2006. We were sold this insurance by our ex-financial adviser with an understanding that we will pay fixed higher annual premiums for the first 10 years for this joint LTC account, as long as we kept a NO claim status during this period. Apparently, this is NOT true. We received a statement this year with an increase of 51.50% in premiums after we have invested $50K into this insurance. While Genworth invested my money and made a handsome interest off my premiums all these year, makes a bargains deal with China Oceanwide Inc. Need a class action lawsuit filed ASAP!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Where do we begin. How about the wait time on the phone when you call in to get information. Next when you have someone does answer they refuse to have a customer service agent come to the house to explain WHY the premium went up 51 percent in one year. All questions have to be answered via the website or the person answering the phone. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

We have never made a claim so we don't have personal information on how well Genworth actually handles a claim. The coverage we purchased is what we expect to keep. But in order to keep our current coverage at our current premium, we will have to give up a quarter of the coverage. NOT FAIR. Yes, we did have a clause that warned us that there may be up to a 5 percent increase in a year. But we did not expect a 51 percent increase in one year. The small print in our contract states that the premium increase can be compounded. Isn't it amazing that the increase came once the company had nearly $40,000 of our money. There are options... We can get out, we lose coverage or we can pay a ridiculous higher premium. Not Fair!!! Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I wish there was a way to give zero or minus stars to this company. My mother in law paid faithfully for over 20 years to Genworth. They willingly took her money, but when it came time to get them to honor their commitment, we hit nothing but delay, roadblocks, and more delay. First, after the insured enters an assisted living facility there is a 100-day waiting period before they will make the first payment. When they do start making payments, the insured still owes three months of premium payments. I guess that is just their way of double penalizing you for having to wait 100 days for the policy to "kick in." If at any time while you are in long term care and you have to enter the hospital, Genworth will stop making payments.

My mother in law was in a wonderful facility that had multiple levels of care. When she first entered the facility, she had assisted care. Towards the end of her life, she was given total dependent care. Genworth will NOT pay for a higher level of care if the insured does not move from one building to another building. Greater level of care in the same room does not count in their eyes. We cannot warn others enough to NOT do business with this company. They have only one goal, keep their money in their pockets, and make it as difficult as possible for the policyholder to get the benefits they have long paid for.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My 95 year old father has paid premiums for almost 30 years and now that he needs in home care, Genworth does everything they can to not reimburse for his care provider. They are difficult at best and possibly criminal at worse. But hey, they always have a pleasant demeanor when they say they're working on sending his payments. Shopping for LTC? Look elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

My aunt and uncle bought long term care insurance about 30 years ago. The company is now Genworth. My uncle paid it 15 years and died before he used it. My aunt had to move into assisted living and has paid it faithfully all these years. Now they are refusing to pay for her care even though she has to have help with every day to day activity and uses a walker or wheelchair!! This company is horrible in my opinion. We are having to secure a lawyer to fight them to get what is rightfully owed to her.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Genworth Life- Long Term Care may literally be in criminal violation of several laws. Their business model is to delay, discourage, deny, and stall on administration, communication, and any other item in order to delay the payment of benefits. In fact, the business model at Genworth hopes that if they delay long enough that they won't have to pay out any benefits because your family member may become deceased.

Genworth's customer service is great when it comes to helping you pay your insurance premiums to them as they are designed to be a one-way street in which your family's money flows to Genworth. But when it is time for Genworth to honor their end of the insurance contract they are all about finding numerous tricks to delay administration and communication so that they don't have to pay benefits back to the policyholder. I knew that it couldn't have been just me that was experiencing this blatant scam and I see numerous reviews on this ConsumerAffairs site that confirm others are having the same horrible experience with Genworth.

Mom's health has been deteriorating at age 84 with lung cancer and recurring pneumonia. I followed Genworth's directions and delivered the medical power of attorney (MPOA) to them. After some time we received a letter by U.S. snail mail stating that was not good enough to appoint me as MPOA on mom's account. Now we had to drag mom out to the bank to notarize a letter stating that she "was unwilling" to conduct her business. We constructed the letter and followed Genworth's directions exactly as directed in their letter to us. Then after more time went by we received another letter stating that we now needed a physician's statement that mom was incompetent to handle her business.

If a policyholder wants to appoint a family member as power of attorney as a future precaution they do not need to be mentally incompetent. This makes no sense. In addition, it is 2017 so that documents can be delivered in seconds by use of a scanner and email. Furthermore, Genworth is very eager to collect premium payments at the time of sale of the policy to a new customer and then semi-annually thereafter. Genworth knows that the MPOA should be put in place on day one at the same time that the policy is sold to the customer. Or at the very least Genworth knows it needs to communicate about the necessity of the MPOA during each of the two premium payments that take place annually. Then when the policy is needed the MPOA is in place.

But Genworth understands that when an elderly family member is on their back and in poor health that it becomes more difficult and time-consuming for the family to put the MPOA in place. This enables Genworth to delay administration for as long as possible and this means the delay of Genworth having to pay benefits to the policyholder and family. This choice to delay administration by Genworth is not just incompetence, it is by design and an integral part of their sleazy business plan. Their hope is that they can delay paying benefits for as long as possible, even a delay of one month is a minimum goal of Genworth. This is clear as our family has been delayed a few months now just to put the MPOA in place.

Possibly, Genworth hopes that the policyholder may not have help from family at a time of bad health and maybe Genworth won't have to pay any benefits at all if they can delay long enough and the policyholder becomes deceased. Many policyholders are in very bad health by the time they meet Genworth's criteria for a claim to be valid. Genworth of course understands this fact. Genworth requires a policyholder to meet 2 of 6 criteria that are basic life skills like being able to feed one's self. So if you can't walk or bathe or feed yourself is there any question that you can't administrate over your own business? Of course not and Genworth knows this. It is a long term care policy after all.

Genworth customer service and claims people are trained to say things like, "We have to talk to the policyholder" to effect basic administration items. Genworth knows that many policyholders are in such bad shape that they can't get out of bed and can't speak. Mom can't hold a glass of water on most days now and lately she speaks two words: "can't" and "done" as in she wants to be done with life. But I can't get the sleazy insurance company people at Genworth to meet their end of the contract due to their business model to delay, deny, discourage, and stall on administration. Nice, right?

The only thing that anyone should consider Genworth for is a class action lawsuit for their unlawful conduct. Don't consider them for becoming your insurance company. Did you know that they sold out to Chinese investors? I do not believe that the Chinese have great concern for the health and well-being of our American elderly family members and parents. I am reporting Genworth to the Virginia Insurance Commissioner and looking into filing a lawsuit. This company should be called Genworthless. Don't walk away from them. Run!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We were sold long term care insurance through Genworth. We were assured at the time that we signed the contract that increases in premiums have historically been modest. We just received a new statement with a 51.5% increase in premiums. Given this excessive increase in our premiums, we assume that as we continue to age, the premiums will continue to rise at excessive rates. The company states on their website that they expected consumers to discontinue their policies and for this reason they are raising premiums 51% with no assurance that it won't continue to rise at this rate.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

The only experience I have with Genworth. As a home health aide I took care of an elderly man, covered by Genworth. They were very difficult to work with. It required a lot of paperwork, they were very particular, with how the paperwork was filled out, and if it didn't meet their expectations they would deny payment. I am currently considering LTC insurance for myself, and received a quote from Genworth... I doubt I'll choose them. I seriously think, they never expected senior citizens to live as long as we have. They have "0" integrity, and should be investigated!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I took out my long-term care policy 11 years ago. Before deciding on a plan, the salesperson presented me with printouts showing the costs and benefits of several plans from which I could choose. At the bottom of each printout it states "While our Long Term Care Division reserves the right to raise future premiums for all policyholders by state and class, it has never had to do so since it pioneered long term care insurance more than 30 years ago. And, your premiums will never increase due to changes in your health status or your age." So I was informed, in writing, that there could be premium increases.

About 2 years ago I received a letter from Genworth notifying me of future premium increases. These increases totaled 12.1% over a three year period, so I'm puzzled about the much larger increases to which other policyholders have been subjected. HOWEVER, I am concerned about the financial strength of Genworth Life Insurance Company which issued my policy. As of 11/7/17, A. M. Best gives the company a "B" which translates as "FAIR", Standard and Poor's gives the company a "B+" which translates as "WEAK", and Moody's gives the company a "B2" which translates as "POOR". Because of the company's financial weakness and the poor ratings given to it on this website I'm seriously considering self-insuring rather than paying $2,600 next year and who knows how much in the years to come for my policy.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Am 76 living in NM. In 1999 I and my spouse started paying LTC coverage premiums with the company now known as Genworth. My husband died 2009 after 3 yrs of prostate cancer treatment. While on hospice we tried to file claims with Genworth who had endless reasons why we could not benefit from the coverage we had faithfully paid for 10 years. Now 17 years later, I am told, by their customer service rep, to pay up or lose the $24,081.13 they claim I have paid. My option is to stop payment and accept 174 days of coverage, so says the "customer service" rep. I asked to receive this information by email as well as in a letter to be mailed to me at my postal address. At this date, I have received nothing. When and if a class action suit is initiated, count me in. Genworth's goals and objectives are perverse. Genworth is a company focused exclusively on blind greed. Genworth's behavior is criminal.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We also just received the rate increase by 50%. Unbelievable! 7yrs no increase ever and then hit with 50% jump. This seems criminal to us and I will be looking into this. What's the point of buying LTC insurance if they price you out before you can use it. Our agent said the same to us as all of you, no increase, locked in price. Buy now while you are young and healthy because the premiums go up every year if you don't lock it in. I will be calling DA office to start with. This just is not right to those of us who try to do the right thing in protecting our families.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Genworth Financial sold a number of its LTC contracts with assurances of their sales people in their presentation that the contract was as good as gold since it was backed by General Electric. A big factor in our decision to use Genworth as our LTC carrier. Years pass, the only correspondence we receive is our annual bill. A few years ago that all changed. Our premiums were increased. The COLA provision was removed and the benefit amount was capped at its value at the policy year end. That amount was in excess of $600,000 dollars.

Knowing LTC costs were increasing and knowing it at the time we purchased our contract the 5% increase in benefit payments was an important part in our decision to purchase a LTC with Genworth. I asked if there would be any more premium or other contract changes in the future. I was told "no" this would be it and not to worry Genworth was safe. A year has passed and we just received our annual premium notice. The new premium has increased by about 25%. This was accomplished by reducing the number of years of benefit payments from 10 to 6. A 40% decrease in benefits.

Genworth has its struggles, but the draconian measures being used against its LTC policyholders is to shore up its financial problems is not fair or moral. Many of us who purchased LTC when we were younger and in good health are being punished now for making a decision to protect our families assets by trusting Genworth and GE. I have to say that trust has been broken. My wife and I counted on Genworth to be our partner in making sure we could leave an estate to our children and grandchildren without having to worry about the cost of LTC in our twilight years. Now that the time is nearing that one of us will need to call on our "partner" to fulfill the promise they made to us. Their answer will be, "We still will give you the same reduced coverage from the last premium increase, but the price has gone up 58%. If you want to pay the premium we will pay you about half of what we promised."

If as of today this company is still trying to sell LTC contracts my advice is "just say no". This company is unfair, has a strategy or acts like it does to push people out of their contracts to survive or sell. Where are our State Insurance Departments? I truly hope they are looking at Genworth's ability to pay its claims long term. I am very, very concerned for my family and all of the other thousands of families being penalized because Genworth's actuaries did not price their product correctly when they issued them.

Unless they head in the sand did they not see the statistics regarding longer life expectancy, an upsurge in LTC use about the time these contracts might be used? Everything an experienced actuary needed to make reasonable pricing projections certainly was readily available. One might start to think. Could it be good marketing to sell the concept of buying young at a lower premium and saving money and not stressing the fact we really don't know what our claims experience will be? I feel as if I have been taken advantage of by Genworth. Don't let it happen to you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

6 years ago when my wife and I took out our long term health policy, we were told that this premium would never increase. Having paid the same for the past 6 years we just received our renewal with a 60% increase. This is criminal. I of course will stop paying into this company since nothing is to stop from continuing to increase premiums and the policyholder can kiss all of their money goodbye.

Genworth Long Term Care Company Information