Genworth Long Term Care Insurance

Genworth Long Term Care
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Since writing our first policy in 1871 as The Life Insurance Company of Virginia, we've been committed to helping people achieve and protect the comfort of financial security. Today, even in this challenging environment, Genworth is strategically focused on helping more people realize the dream of homeownership and navigate the financial challenges of aging.

For millions of people across the U.S., we provide financial security and protection through long term care funding solutions. Our mortgage insurance can help you secure low down payment loans and realize the dream of home ownership faster – even for the first time. When you’re financially secure, you have the freedom to get where you want to go— no matter what path you want to take. With Genworth, you’ll never have to go it alone.

Genworth is headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, and we conduct business in all 50 states. Our main office locations in the U.S. are Lynchburg, VA, Raleigh, NC, Richmond, VA, and Stamford, CT.

Genworth Long Term Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth Long Term Care?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genworth?

Original review: June 29, 2020

I am the son, administering for my Mom with a POA in the state of Virginia. The good - no issues with the amount of coverage, but of course my dad bought a huge policy. The people who represent this company are nice to deal with, always polite and patient. The bad - you gotta have a lot of patience to deal with this company! - All communication is one way. They will call my mom and leave messages asking you to call back. You can't get a live person on the phone, and if you leave a message after 5 minutes of talking to their machines they might call you back. Genworth case reps call my mom who is barely competent about once a week, she asks them to call me since I'm the POA and handling the claims, never got a call or email.

- They are trained for compliance, so EVERY form has to be filled out exactly the way they require it. Get ready for vague explanations of why your form is being rejected and good luck figuring it out. - Filed first claim (no waiting period for home care) in March 2020, received first payment end of June 2020. No sense of urgency. If you don't have cash reserves to weather 6 months of payment delays you are out of luck. - Genworth is still asking for a signature of our provider that they collected on the home evaluation back in March. I'm just sure I will jump in the car and drive 3 hours to go get if for them again.

- Our policy has a lifetime max of 800k, and a remaining benefit amount of 750k. I just received the first check for 7k. Excuse me, where did Genworth spend the remaining 43K? No explanation on the website, and I can't get through on the phone. - Consistently, every interaction you have with this company from calling in to being forced to use their stupid forms for everything, is designed to waste the claimants time and delay or avoid paying claims. - To get the first payment processed I had to submit by snail mail about 35 pages of forms that were not even pre-filled out with the repetitive information. Summary - there have got to be better choices. Good luck.

Original review: April 21, 2020

My in-laws took out a life time policy for long term care when they were 60. My father In-law had been going down hill for years and was paying out of pocket for care. I finally asked to see the policy he had. We submitted a claim to Genworth and they stalled every corner. Fast forward on Father in-law 87 passed and Genworth sent a check for 6K. Mother in law has a claim and they said she was approved and we moved her to assisted living. They have denied the claims stating she doesn't meet the guidelines!! She is 87, walks with a walker, dementia etc. She seems sharp some days, but most she can't be left alone.

You see they tell you this and send you a letter stating temp for 60 days. Your policy won't start paying until you pay out 100 days!! Then when you have a new claim the 100 days start again. They bought lifetime policy for what? They pay over 10K each for insurance they won't be able to use. Plus they don't pay for a bed they are billed for if they are in the hospital!! Patient is out of pocket for what Medicare doesn't pay. Yes they pay after Medicare. Read the policy you take out carefully and get an attorney to review before you pay or take out any policy. Biggest rip off ever. We would have been better off investing the money because we are paying out of pocket ourselves.

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2020

My parents have paid premiums for their long term insurance for over 30 years. They have accumulated dividends well over $100,000. They are now in a situation that they are filing for benefits. The red tape, forms, phone calls, more forms, faxes, more phone calls that you have to go through to receive payment is more than frustrating. Invoices for over $3,000 have been submitted since December, 2019 and they have received total payments of $259.20. I have made several calls checking on status with absolutely no resolution. If they did not have as much money invested in this plan I would tell them to forget it. A shame that they take premiums for many years and when their services are needed they are not quite as available or helpful.

Original review: March 16, 2020

We purchased long term care from a Genworth agent almost 25 years ago and have paid premiums "automatically" for this period of time. Last year in 2019, we received a notice that our premiums were going up. Mine by 91% and my wife's by about 80% and this company has the the audacity to take advantage of seniors [I am 82 and my wife is 78 when this was received]. This is unbelievable, and the only option offered was to pay almost double what we were paying or reduce drastically our amount of insurance with no guarantee that this would be our last rate increase. Genworth is worthless! This is what happens when corporate greed goes unchecked, and accepted by our country's state insurance departments. This is pure theft- sadly!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

My mother pd. assisted care and nursing home ins. from Genworth for yrs. Mom received $0 from the company when living in assisted care facility. The company sent a representative to the care center to determine if mom was in the guidelines to receive benefits. The outcome of the visit was disheartening. The assisted care policy mom had purchased was exactly identical as the nursing home policy. 1. Needs help eating. 2. Needs help bathing. 3. Needs help getting dressed. Etc... This Genworth assisted care policy that was purchased was more like we were scammed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Was with the company for about 10 years when my rate of $68.?? when it doubled, actually close to tripled. Naturally being on fixed social security income we could not afford such an increase and had to drop the plan. 9 years @ $800. + per year gone. Stay away from these people.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

The elimination time for coverage to kick in is typically 90 days. If a person goes into hospice they do not waive this. Other agencies do. It is very obvious a person in hospice will be gone in a short period of time. Long term care payment build quit a some of coverage money. You lose if you go on hospice no way to get help, very deceptive.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Genworth cancelled my mom’s LTC because they tried to get their payment out of the wrong account. I applied for reinstatement as her Power of Attorney. After a month of going back and forth, they told me a Power of Attorney can’t submit an application. After nearly 3 months of getting Genworth everything they wanted, they wouldn’t reinstate the policy because my mom’s health isn’t exactly the same as it was when she opened the policy 13 years ago. They did everything they could to deter me from going through reinstatement. They are an awful company that never wanted to reinstate her policy. They went through the “procedure” so they can say they did it. They never had any intention to reinstate the policy. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

My sister has Genworth LTC insurance and was diagnosed with cancer. She had to have a hysterectomy and chemotherapy and was dealing with all the horrible side effects that comes with chemo and surgery. She is single and lives alone. She got assistance for a month to help her through the worst of it. When she tried to call to start a claim, she would be on hold for 20-40 minutes at a time. When you are going through chemo, that is a LOOONG wait, so many times she had to hang up.

The claim had a 90 day wait period. So she would not get reimbursed for the month, but it could be counted for future needs if she filed the claim and it was approved. She did not know to do this. She was so sick that she gave up filing a claim because it was so difficult to do. Her cancer is now back and I am trying to file the claim and get it through. I found out about getting her previous month of care on the books to count against her 90 day wait period after placing a call to them. So I tried to file the claim a year later, but it was denied because the doctor did not write in her medical records that she needed assistance at home.

Very important to know: if the doctor does not write in the medical records that the patient needs assistance in the home, the claim most likely will be denied. My sister did not know to let her doctor know that she was single and could not care for herself after surgery or chemo, so it was not stated in my sister's medical records that she needs home assistance. Because it was not stated, her claim was denied. Most doctors are just writing up the diagnosis and the treatment. Ensure you ask your doctor to include this information about needing home care. If you have the mental and physical capacity to know to do this, you may get your claim approved. If not.....?

Genworth had an independent medical specialist (nurse) come to the house to assess my sisters condition. My sister was throwing up, in severe pain, could not answer questions, had a hard time focusing. The nurse sent in the report. Should be an easy claim to approve. Each time I called Genworth, the rep would tell me they are waiting on medical records. When I called the medical records the medical records rep said they did not receive a request.

I would call to follow up with Genworth and be on hold for 25 to 30 minutes and get a general customer care rep who did not have access to the records and said that she would have them call me back. They would call back when I was at work and could not take their call. So I would need to call them back and it was a vicious circle. After 2 months, they requested medical records....it is now 3 months and still waiting on medical records in order for them to make a determination. I would seriously think twice about getting LTC insurance....read all the fine print, and I would not recommend Genworth.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

I am seventy five, in relatively good health, and so far have had no need to make a claim. But the manipulation of the premiums on this policy has become criminal in my opinion. I took out this policy in 2004, and was then paying $290/month. In 2015 I received a letter from Genworth that my premiums would increase to $500 per month, but I had the option of deleting the inflation provision on the contract, for rates of $272/ month, and a daily allowance of $487/day, for three years, or a payout of my money paid to date. I took the deletion of the inflation option and for the past four years paid the premium.

In August of 2019, I received another communication from Genworth that my premiums would be increasing to a maximum of over $700/ month by 2021, or I could freeze the contract, no more premiums, or cancel the contract, the refund of the amount I had paid in premiums, now valued at over $50,000 though was not an option. This company is a criminal enterprise in my opinion, ripping off people who are in the last days of their lives, in need of intensive care, who have paid out the hard earned savings for care they sorely need. As for me, just refund my money and let me use it for alternative solutions to long term care, I neither trust or believe in Genworth, their word, institution or good intentions.

Genworth author review by Matthew Brodsky

Genworth shows clients a cost comparison for long-term care insurance and the predicted cost of care in their area so they can be sure they're getting enough coverage.

• Long-term care insurance: Get coverage for in-home care, assisted living facilities, nursing homes and home modifications, including wheelchair ramps.

• Group long-term care insurance: Genworth offers voluntary programs for businesses with more than 500 employees to provide long-term care insurance at group-discounted rates.

• Care services: Genworth can connect you with professional care and caregiver solutions through CareScout.

• Online account: Review your policy and claim information through Genworth’s secure online web portal. The firm also offers online bill payment for convenience.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor