2.80/5
Based on 37 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

MetLife Long Term Care

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Last updated: March 29, 2018

178 MetLife Long Term Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have been working since May 1977 to get payments for my sister who is in assisted living. I am a co guardian of her estate and well being and my daughter is co guardian. MetLife is extremely difficult. All we get is excuses and delays with no check. Yes, we have filled out all the documents and are still waiting for the first check. Their service is deplorable and they don,t pay what my sister is entitled to receive. I strongly recommend that the company be avoided. It appears that we will have to take legal action to get what my sister is entitled to receive.

Original review: March 25, 2018

After paying in for 20 years my mother at 93 needs the long term care. Once the claim was started it took not only 90 days waiting but 135 days before we got a payment. The payments get later and later each month. I have to follow up each month to get a payment and each time for the past year get a phone message that the agent will call you in 24 hours and if they don’t you are to call their supervisor. Then when you call the supervisor you get a message that if they don’t get back in 24 hours call their supervisor.

Each month when I finally reach them there is a new reason why they haven’t paid. I have been bawled out for writing on an invoice, to calling an agent who is no longer handling my mother’s account. I just know that each month I will spend 3-5 phone calls getting my mother's payment. I can’t believe this company is allowed to prey on seniors. As I read the reviews the positive ones are those who have purchased the policy. They have no idea as to the treatment they will get when they try to collect.

Get expert buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2018

After looking at all reviews I noticed that the individuals giving this company high ratings are the ones that have purchased the policy. Believe me if you ever have to use your LTC policy it is a nightmare. My father has had this policy for over 20 years and due to illness had to start using his plan. EVERY month I have to contact customer service about his reimbursement not being paid within the time frame the policy states. They always different excuses and I feel horrible for the elder that have this policy and do not have any family members helping.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We have had this insurance for over 18 years without claims. During this serious health crisis we have found that receiving payment for a claim is a very slow tedious process. After dealing with this process for months MetLife, though they had a copy of our bank check to confirm electronic deposit, entered the information in error. I have been checking with them for a week without any satisfaction. They told me it was my bank's fault and to contact them. I did and found that the payment had been entered erroneously and returned the same day. 5 days later they have still not rectified the issue and sent a new payment to my bank.

We're senior citizens on a limited budget. This company needs to be more responsive when they make errors and timely in rectifying them. I was told it would be at least 3 days longer before anything could be done. Original check sent out on Feb. 13 by bank and returned as there was no account for the number they sent it to. It is now Feb 21 nothing has been done.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I bought my policy in 2002 at the monthly cost of $69.30. The cost now is $163.81 which is very dismaying and makes me wonder if this cost is prohibitive because I could hire someone to help me with my house cleaning for less than that a month.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

My husband and I have had paid into this insurance program for 15 years. When I tried to use the insurance they gave me a runaround. 1. It would take 8 days for me to receive benefit forms through the US postal service. Park Plaza Long-term Hospital insisted that they send the form through e-mail, the hospital faxed the completed forms back to them. They gave us a tag by phone runaround for 4 days. We call them and our call was not returned until the next day when they claimed they need more forms filled out. My husband died 4 days later. We received nothing from this insurance. It is a big fraud. They accept money from people and do not pay up when you need the service. After 15 years of payments I think we should have received better service. Think of all the people that are members of AARP that fell for this fraud insurance.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My parents purchased LT care insurance policies from MetLife through AARP about 20 years ago. My father passed away and never had a claim. Now my 83 yo mother who needs in-home assistance for bathing, eating, getting dressed, housework, etc. I started the claim process early October and it's now early December and my mom still hasn't been approved. There's always some excuse from MetLife ranging from they need more documentation from medical providers or they never received it. I am so disgusted by MetLife's treatment of my mom. Do NOT purchase a LT care insurance policy from MetLife! I truly feel they are just waiting for my mom to die so they don't have to pay anything. Shame on AARP for endorsing this policy to unsuspecting senior citizens.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have been dealing with MetLife Long Term Care for the last five months. We got word of a verbal denial today after five months of waiting. The caseworker we dealt with did not return calls and always had an excuse. It has been a horrible experience. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I plan to appeal and fight them.

Original review: June 2, 2017

My predictive value is very low and it really needs to be more to cover all my needs. They have a lot of options and offer better coverage that I want but I cannot afford all the options I want so I just stick with what I have had. My coverage covers like 10k and that's barely enough to cover my expenses and if something happens to me and do not want loved ones stuck with my bill and so I could leave my kids something. But it is an ok company. I have it cause it is cheap but will cover most cost. I have had it for a long time and have never taken the time to find a better one or a new one that might be cheaper for me.

Original review: June 2, 2017

My long term care insurance is very affordable and authentic. They have a wide range of options and I like how easy it was to choose a plan. The company is honest, reliable, responsible and it really seems to care. It is flexible and easy to use. I like how well this company works for others. The value is astounding too. I love working with their customer service. I was able to do questions and answers online, talked to a very friendly rep and got all the information I needed. It was easy for us to benefit from using this company and I'm glad we did.

Original review: June 1, 2017

There is a lot of nice policy option available to you. Each one has a breakdown of everything about the option. Each one has words you can understand and read. My long term care coverage is nice. I have coverage if something would happen to me everything will be taken care of. My coverage will pay any and all medical bills and current bills I would have. Also, customer service is very good. They help you in every way through the entire process of it. They answer all questions you have so you know you are making the right choice. The value of this speaks for itself. It is very nice to have. It takes away the worry of bills and medical bills that will occur. It will take care of everything for you. All you have to do is get better.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I am pleased that I know who to contact and feel that I would be able to if the need was there. I am also pleased with the options provided. Coverage was explained well when signing up for MetLife Long Term Care insurance.

Original review: May 31, 2017

With the long term insurance I choose to go with is Metlife and they have a great policy option. I really feel like I don't have to settle for less. They cover a lot of what I wanted. I didn't have to worry about not having what I needed. Metlife has a great value for what they offer. What I pay for is what I get and its great. The customer service that I've had with Metlife is also great. I never have to wait on hold when I call and have a problem. Its resolved right then. I always feel like I come first with Metlife.

Original review: May 30, 2017

My long term care coverage is great. It will cover any nursing home or facility of my choice up to 100. I have no deductible that has to be meet before the facility gets paid. You can even choose to stay in your home and have home care if you choose to do so. Policy options are if you do not like the company you can call within 30 days and cancel the policy. They do do not hassle you to keep a policy you do not want or do not need. Customer service experience is wonderful. The representatives are great people and treat people with respect. They are very flexible and efficient with solving problems.

Original review: May 29, 2017

The Long Term Care Insurance covers up to six months which is is very convenient. Other insurance or most insurances cover only the first four months. My Metlife insurance value is worth it. I would even pay more if the premium would go up. You will never find a better insurance. Great customer service, very respectful and always have everything under control. Their policy is simple and very legal. They are organized and always have their files neatly filed. You can ask for a policy copy or they can send it to your email. They always have a good answer to your question. They care very much for their customer. I would recommend their service to everyone. I would not go with anybody else but them.

Original review: May 26, 2017

MetLife's customer service was very good and helpful. They were able to help me with all my questions. There were a lot of good policy options that filled all my needs and that they were very easy to understand. The coverage was very comprehensive and offered a lot of different options. It was very good. The value was also very good and I will be recommending it to all my friends and family.

Original review: May 25, 2017

MetLife's value and coverage are awesome and the policy is amazing. I can honestly say that compared to other companies this one tops the list and I am proud to be a part of this company. The customer service is amazing too. Each time I call in the representative is happy, has a positive attitude and is willing to help.

Original review: May 25, 2017

MetLife is a good company and we feel secure with them. We are confident that they will be there when we need them. Their policy options are satisfactory. It could be better but the more you want the more the premiums go up. Coverage includes room & board, medical staff, and a nice outside environment for walking & exercising. They also have a nice cafeteria & public facilities. Value would be somewhere around $150,000 but this is my perception. Moreover, the staff was nice. Living quarters were fair, clean, and well maintained.

Original review: May 24, 2017

They have a lot of options for you to choose from and the coverage that you need. If you see something that you want they can tailor it to you and your family's needs. You can save a lot of money if you deal with them. I would recommend MetLife because it is a good company.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Applied and was accepted and have gotten the policy we felt was right for our family. The policies we were given to choose from were right for our need and budget. They covered the things we were most concerned with and thought we would need if the situation warranted. The rates and fees were within range for the services and benefits we were looking at compared to other companies with the same general comparisons.

Original review: May 23, 2017

They were very friendly to me when I talked to people and they had no troubles answering all of my questions. Overall I'd say great customer service. Great business. I pay a little bit every month and I'm covered for pretty much anything that could happen to me for the rest of my life because of my MetLife long term care insurance. They allow you to pay basically what they think you're able to afford and give you the best coverage possible. The value of my insurance is great.

Original review: May 22, 2017

The policy is usually easy to understand and always have step by step instructions for those who need it if they ever get confused. They have many coverage options to choose from that you are more comfortable with and that it will always fit your budget and have everything that you are looking for in an insurance program. The value is very high. They go beyond and above to get the consumer everything they need to have in a insurance program. They are always loyal and honest to the customers also which makes them a true keeper. They help in resolving the problem in a timely manner and are always there to help. If they fail they always go back and fix the problem.

Original review: May 21, 2017

The company offers a number of policies for all types of customers. Coverage depends on the policy you pick. If you picked individual or business & institutions, the value can increase or decrease and it just depends on what either has going on and could cost you a little or a lot. They will take time to explain each and match what policy is right for you. They are available to answer any and all questions. They give customers many different ways to contact and reach your department to get a resolution to any and all problems.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I really really like MetLife and I will just keep blabbing about how great they are. They have wonderful and helpful customer service. Policy options are all through my employer though. This is what they offer and I have to go with it. But I cannot complain very much because it was a very good option.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I'm happy with the overall coverage of MetLife Long Term Care. They have a few different policy options to chose from, makes it easy to pick a plan best for you and your budget, cheaper than some other companies. The customer service is pretty good. I currently have no complaints. They are very helpful and easy to understand.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I have MetLife Long Term Care through my place of employment. They have very well customer service when they explained the plan. I am very very satisfied with all of the options that they provide for me to choose from and the coverage plans seem to fit me very well. The value seems to be reasonable with all the other programs that are available to me. Will be checking around but very satisfied with the value. I will be trying to upgrade in the near future.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I love MetLife Long Term Care. It pays to be able to be older one day and not have to worry as much due to being broke and needing medical coverage. You never know what the path holds so it's a beautiful idea to be covered in bad timings. The value is also nice for the fact that it IS long term and the policies are easier to understand and it makes you know that you can care for yourself without it being a long drawn process. You feel able to live life a little more free. They truly care for their customers. They have supported my questions and if they couldn't answer it they would definitely make sure I found the answer with them.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Policy options were great. They fit my budget perfectly and I felt good about using this service. The coverage was nice and pleasant. Value was cheap for the extensive service in which the customer will receive. It's nice to work with this good company. Their service was very reliable, trustworthy and awesome. Customer service was OK but could have been better and more clear. But they were wonderful to talk to and pleasant. Would definitely recommend.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Overall an enjoyable experience. MetLife made it easy to apply, made sure I had a firm understanding of the policy, worked out the details of coverage and made it affordable. The policy in which I currently hold has a coverage of about a quarter million dollars or $250,000 in coverage. But more than that it gives me and my family the peace of mind that in case I do need care that there is going to be a way to get it and maintain that care in a fashion that is reasonable for me and my family both. It allows for placement in long term care with the coverage of all services and medications to be covered.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I'm paying for a long-term care service and I am extremely happy with my coverage that it's locked in at a flat rate for at least 5 years. Even if they change it, it usually doesn't go up by much. I also get exactly what I pay for and ask for. In addition, there are many policies to choose from and they are very flexible. Whatever kind of policy you need, whether it be an ordinary one or a policy specific for you, they will get it done. Sometimes I get someone who is more than happy to deal with me but other times, I get someone who seems like they don't even want to be there, let alone help me with my problems.

MetLife Long Term Care Company Information