MetLife Long Term Care

MetLife Long Term Care

3.8/5 (88 ratings)

About MetLife Long Term Care

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Long Term Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Long Term Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: June 11, 2021

We have had this insurance for years. Bought back when the rate increases were sane but now that they have you locked in they apparently feel they can do as they wish because they have you. Rate increases: 2015 12.2%, 2016 12.8%, 2017 12.4%, 2018 24.4%, 2019 24.8%, 2020 14.5%, 2021 10.2%. Meanwhile the average benefit increase is about 5%. I have communicated with them but get the 'you really don't understand' answer. The only reason I gave them a 1 rating is that it is you don't offer a 0.

Original review: May 3, 2021

Premium rises astronomically EVERY YEAR. Premium can only be paid by check. Oh, they WILL deduct from your checking account and charge you 8%. RIPOFF. Don't answer emails. UNPROFESSIONAL. I dread the day I might need this service.

Get buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2021

Premiums paid for 15 years. No claims. Wife & I turned 65 and besides the 5% Optional Inflation Increase, in `18, was increased >23% over 3 yrs. That time frame passed and now an additional 21% increase over the next 2 yrs. `They reserve the right to increase...` Also, `MetLife has ceased marketing its LTC products'. So, those of us that remain clients will continue to get hammered by huge increases to keep this product going for the company, until we can no longer afford it? If asked, I would NEVER recommend this company/LTC product.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Cost dearly, and keeps going up. Go to use it, and they have 90 day waiting period. You can spend another $5,000. Then they will only pay certain people and % if patient is at home. That was the whole idea to stay in my home. AARP should not be involved with this company at ALL. I had insurance for 12 yrs. and $150 average plus a month. Don't waste your hard earn dollar. I would not even give them a one star.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

My sister purchased a MetLife Long Term Care policy 13 years ago, now chronically ill. As recent POA for her I am tasked with trying to implement this policy. One only needs to read 20 reviews of this company to find the pattern of repeated delay tactics that seem to be designed to not pay or open claims, fore in other reviews state the same excuses to the tee, such as "this policy was never activated." I am still trying to open a claim and truly think there should be action against this company for their seeming intended actions, I cannot fathom how many people have simply not been able to deal with the procedures that you are not informed of at time purchase.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Waiting now 3 months since filing a claim and still nothing and lots of excuses and red tape. Clearly MetLife hopes that you either give up or die before they have to pay a penny. Lots of ridiculous forms and runaround and they send document to the wrong email address "by mistake" and everything takes 5-10 business days to review. That is each of the 10 steps to get through their onerous process. What a big mistake to get insurance from these crooks. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

If you are looking for long term care insurance beware when it comes time to file a claim it can take a long while. Once it is all in place the company that handles the timesheets and approvals is very easy to deal with. I have filed a claim for my father and mother in the last 3 years, bad experience both times.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

My mother has paid for the Long Term Care "insurance" policy for 15 years. Nearly every year there was a price increase, and finally, after 15 years, she had enough and wanted to cancel. I spoke to three different representatives in the past three weeks, and I received three radically different answers. The representatives will give you the absolute minimum amount of information they possibly can, and if you do not ask specifically, they will not divulge any information.

I told them that my mother wanted to cancel her policy, and they went out of their way to make it extremely protracted and difficult. All communication must be in writing, and by the time you receive and complete your paperwork, you get ripped off for yet another monthly payment. Here are some alarming facts everyone should be aware of: You have 120 days from their rate increase to cancel the policy. If you do not cancel, you are stuck having to pay until the next "opportunity" comes up. If you do terminate the policy, ONLY the money you paid in can be "spent." But ONLY at the rate/benefit of the "contract" that you just CANCELED. If your loved ones' care costs are higher than the (example) $100 a day covered in your policy, you are on your own to pay the difference. Even though you are no longer covered, and all you are doing is draw from your OWN fund, they will string you along as long as possible.

To highlight what a rip off this is… If you cancel the policy, they keep your money, and to ever get to it is if you file a claim. If you die, you forfeit the entire amount you paid in because there is NO cash value for the funds YOU paid in, and technically because you canceled your coverage, you no longer are "covered" and in my opinion, you should NOT have to adhere to the policy limits. For example, if you paid $300 per month for the past fifteen years, you spent in a total of $42,000. You must continue to pay the $300 monthly, even if you do have a claim, and the policy is paying the monthly care costs (up to the contract monthly allowance).

Your policy may have a $100 per day maximum payable up for up to 4 years. If you cancel your policy, you can not cash out, and even though you no longer have a "coverage," to utilize the money you've paid in, you must have a legitimate claim. Your claim's daily limits are the same as what your policy specified up to the maximum BUT the total payout will be what you paid in. (And only if you live long enough to use it all up.) By the way, if you are concerned about the COVID 19 and you wanted to increase your coverage and pay more… you can NOT. (Due to the COVID 19 crises all contract modifications are suspended.)

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Very vague when I ask questions about my policy, but on the spot when money due. I do not at this time need their service. Purchased policy 13 years ago. Increased premium every year since I hit a 10 year mark with them. I called & Wrote to our state's insurance board, which they claim they have the authority from them to increase my rates every year & I get a sort of "dear John-type" letter generic in nature explaining how medical costs go up. Has anyone that has had trouble. Collecting benefits ever contacted their state's insurance commissioner or insurance board with their problems to see if they can give support guidance in your efforts to file claims, get answers, etc?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My 90 year old mother began paying her long term care 25 years ago and always talked about counting on it when the time came. That time is now and I have been the one who has had to interface with this organization. I would rate them no stars but that wasn't an option. Starting at the beginning, the maze of forms repetitive in nature, you would have thought my mother was getting a secret agent job with the Federal Government for all of the crazy forms I had to submit. Funny, they knew exactly who she was when it was payment time.

So now she is in assisted living and don't send an invoice in 1 day too early? It will be rejected and thrown in the trash. It took forever for the first check to come and now when the Assisted Living facility sends the invoice, they feign that they can't send money because...(you fill in the blanks). My mother never missed a single payment, ALL they do is miss payments.

MetLife Long Term Care Company Information