3.27/5
Based on 165 reviews that contain star ratings

MetLife Long Term Care

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

183 MetLife Long Term Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

In 2003, I signed a contract with AARP MetLife Life Insurance. I elected a policy with a fixed premium and coverage that would increase with inflation. The contract stipulated that my contribution would never increase due to my age or health. That was the Custom Program. Yesterday I received a letter saying, due to actuarial calculations, my premium will increase 15% in 2019 and more in subsequent years. There was an envelope enclose for me to opt out of MetLife Long Term Care Insurance or greatly reduce my benefit. What!!! After 15 years and $16,000 of premiums paid, MetLife is going to welch on the deal. Does someone out there have the same experience? Who knows what I should do? HELP!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

For nine months now I have been calling MetLife LTC about claims for September through December 2017 for my wife's mother who passed away in December. The claims were not fully reimbursed - trying to make the customer service rep understand what is going on is next to possible. Every time I call I have to go over the situation but nobody seems to make notes in the profile/file for my mother in law. The past week I have called five times, one call seemed to have resolved the issue but today it turns out that no notes were made of the conversation, no action undertaken. I have left messages for three coordinators/ supervisors but have not received the promised call back within one business day.

This is so beyond any professional service but then again I have to remind myself of conversations with insurance executives who stated that they are in the business of denying claims. MetLife is terrific in that respect. They should be complimented. Their automatic reply of 'your business is important to us' is such a lie they should be ashamed to have that play every time I call.

Get expert buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My parents faithfully paid monthly premiums to MetLife LTC for over 20 yrs. They were both satisfied with the insurance until they needed it. In the Spring of 2018, my mother entered a nursing home due to permanent health issues she was having. My father contacted the company to initiate benefits. His experience was similar to others: every time he called, either his rep was out of the office, or would call him back (which never happened), after completing a mountain of complicated paperwork & submitting it, his customer service experience did not improve.

It simply changed from it being frustratingly hard to even be able to contact someone to receiving paperwork from the company indicating they were "researching" his claim. Unfortunately, after two months in a nursing home, my mother died. MetLife LTC is still "researching" my father's claim. Even worse, he has now received written notification that MetLife LTC is increasing the monthly premium ON MY MOTHER, WHO HAS BEEN DEAD FOR A MONTH! My elderly father must continue to pay the increased premiums. If he cancels the LTC coverage on my deceased mother while the company is "researching" his claim, he gets nothing.

As of this date, all my father has received from this company is excuses & delaying tactics. Also, after reviewing the 5 star ratings on this site, most of them were submitted over a 4 week period and the information associated with each, indicating what a great company MetLife LTC is all contain general statements, such as "My long term coverage is nice." I saw only one that actually had to use the insurance & it had no specific details, only generalities. Very suspicious to me. I used to think MetLife was a reputable company. Not anymore.

Original review: July 20, 2018

My 87 Year old mother has been approved to receive her LTC since September 2017. After filing countless papers, medical records, Assisted Living Care Plans, and EVERTHING ELSE LTC asked for they still haven't sent any $$$ for reimbursement. To add insult to injury they still send a quarterly bill since they haven't "put in the paperwork" to "waive premiums like stated in the policy." When you call in you get someone different person every time and you are told a supervisor will call you back, which never happens. When you ask why they haven't processed reimbursement payment in 10 days "like the policy states" they say for the amount owed it will take longer for this to be processed. It's 10's of $1000 because they are dragging their feet to pay!!!

The lame excuses, lack of customer service, and run around is borderline fraud. It's bad enough to try to take care of a loved one's needs but to fight with OUR OWN INSURANCE company is just terrible. MetLife should be heavily fined so they don't do this to other people. MetLife should be made to pay interest for the money owed. MetLife should be made to pay punitive damages to our family for the mental worries and stress they have put us through. I HIGHLY do not trust MetLife and I will be switching our Life Insurance, and every other type of insurance we have with them. No family should have to go through this run around as well as being out THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH METLIFE LTC. I've reported their actions or lack of action to the BBB as well as to the Insurance Board.

Original review: June 15, 2018

They say they'll call you back in one business day. NOT TRUE! It took them 4 months to approve claims... Had to call the executive secretary to finally get going. I just called and they said they had a lot of calls and to call back in 2-3 hours. What kind of company does that? You have to use their approved agencies. I don't think that sounds ethically right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have been working since May 1977 to get payments for my sister who is in assisted living. I am a co guardian of her estate and well being and my daughter is co guardian. MetLife is extremely difficult. All we get is excuses and delays with no check. Yes, we have filled out all the documents and are still waiting for the first check. Their service is deplorable and they don,t pay what my sister is entitled to receive. I strongly recommend that the company be avoided. It appears that we will have to take legal action to get what my sister is entitled to receive.

Original review: March 25, 2018

After paying in for 20 years my mother at 93 needs the long term care. Once the claim was started it took not only 90 days waiting but 135 days before we got a payment. The payments get later and later each month. I have to follow up each month to get a payment and each time for the past year get a phone message that the agent will call you in 24 hours and if they don’t you are to call their supervisor. Then when you call the supervisor you get a message that if they don’t get back in 24 hours call their supervisor.

Each month when I finally reach them there is a new reason why they haven’t paid. I have been bawled out for writing on an invoice, to calling an agent who is no longer handling my mother’s account. I just know that each month I will spend 3-5 phone calls getting my mother's payment. I can’t believe this company is allowed to prey on seniors. As I read the reviews the positive ones are those who have purchased the policy. They have no idea as to the treatment they will get when they try to collect.

Original review: March 24, 2018

After looking at all reviews I noticed that the individuals giving this company high ratings are the ones that have purchased the policy. Believe me if you ever have to use your LTC policy it is a nightmare. My father has had this policy for over 20 years and due to illness had to start using his plan. EVERY month I have to contact customer service about his reimbursement not being paid within the time frame the policy states. They always different excuses and I feel horrible for the elder that have this policy and do not have any family members helping.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

We have had this insurance for over 18 years without claims. During this serious health crisis we have found that receiving payment for a claim is a very slow tedious process. After dealing with this process for months MetLife, though they had a copy of our bank check to confirm electronic deposit, entered the information in error. I have been checking with them for a week without any satisfaction. They told me it was my bank's fault and to contact them. I did and found that the payment had been entered erroneously and returned the same day. 5 days later they have still not rectified the issue and sent a new payment to my bank.

We're senior citizens on a limited budget. This company needs to be more responsive when they make errors and timely in rectifying them. I was told it would be at least 3 days longer before anything could be done. Original check sent out on Feb. 13 by bank and returned as there was no account for the number they sent it to. It is now Feb 21 nothing has been done.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I bought my policy in 2002 at the monthly cost of $69.30. The cost now is $163.81 which is very dismaying and makes me wonder if this cost is prohibitive because I could hire someone to help me with my house cleaning for less than that a month.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

My husband and I have had paid into this insurance program for 15 years. When I tried to use the insurance they gave me a runaround. 1. It would take 8 days for me to receive benefit forms through the US postal service. Park Plaza Long-term Hospital insisted that they send the form through e-mail, the hospital faxed the completed forms back to them. They gave us a tag by phone runaround for 4 days. We call them and our call was not returned until the next day when they claimed they need more forms filled out. My husband died 4 days later. We received nothing from this insurance. It is a big fraud. They accept money from people and do not pay up when you need the service. After 15 years of payments I think we should have received better service. Think of all the people that are members of AARP that fell for this fraud insurance.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My parents purchased LT care insurance policies from MetLife through AARP about 20 years ago. My father passed away and never had a claim. Now my 83 yo mother who needs in-home assistance for bathing, eating, getting dressed, housework, etc. I started the claim process early October and it's now early December and my mom still hasn't been approved. There's always some excuse from MetLife ranging from they need more documentation from medical providers or they never received it. I am so disgusted by MetLife's treatment of my mom. Do NOT purchase a LT care insurance policy from MetLife! I truly feel they are just waiting for my mom to die so they don't have to pay anything. Shame on AARP for endorsing this policy to unsuspecting senior citizens.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have been dealing with MetLife Long Term Care for the last five months. We got word of a verbal denial today after five months of waiting. The caseworker we dealt with did not return calls and always had an excuse. It has been a horrible experience. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I plan to appeal and fight them.

Original review: June 2, 2017

My predictive value is very low and it really needs to be more to cover all my needs. They have a lot of options and offer better coverage that I want but I cannot afford all the options I want so I just stick with what I have had. My coverage covers like 10k and that's barely enough to cover my expenses and if something happens to me and do not want loved ones stuck with my bill and so I could leave my kids something. But it is an ok company. I have it cause it is cheap but will cover most cost. I have had it for a long time and have never taken the time to find a better one or a new one that might be cheaper for me.

Original review: June 2, 2017

My long term care insurance is very affordable and authentic. They have a wide range of options and I like how easy it was to choose a plan. The company is honest, reliable, responsible and it really seems to care. It is flexible and easy to use. I like how well this company works for others. The value is astounding too. I love working with their customer service. I was able to do questions and answers online, talked to a very friendly rep and got all the information I needed. It was easy for us to benefit from using this company and I'm glad we did.

Original review: June 1, 2017

There is a lot of nice policy option available to you. Each one has a breakdown of everything about the option. Each one has words you can understand and read. My long term care coverage is nice. I have coverage if something would happen to me everything will be taken care of. My coverage will pay any and all medical bills and current bills I would have. Also, customer service is very good. They help you in every way through the entire process of it. They answer all questions you have so you know you are making the right choice. The value of this speaks for itself. It is very nice to have. It takes away the worry of bills and medical bills that will occur. It will take care of everything for you. All you have to do is get better.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I am pleased that I know who to contact and feel that I would be able to if the need was there. I am also pleased with the options provided. Coverage was explained well when signing up for MetLife Long Term Care insurance.

Original review: May 31, 2017

With the long term insurance I choose to go with is Metlife and they have a great policy option. I really feel like I don't have to settle for less. They cover a lot of what I wanted. I didn't have to worry about not having what I needed. Metlife has a great value for what they offer. What I pay for is what I get and its great. The customer service that I've had with Metlife is also great. I never have to wait on hold when I call and have a problem. Its resolved right then. I always feel like I come first with Metlife.

Original review: May 30, 2017

My long term care coverage is great. It will cover any nursing home or facility of my choice up to 100. I have no deductible that has to be meet before the facility gets paid. You can even choose to stay in your home and have home care if you choose to do so. Policy options are if you do not like the company you can call within 30 days and cancel the policy. They do do not hassle you to keep a policy you do not want or do not need. Customer service experience is wonderful. The representatives are great people and treat people with respect. They are very flexible and efficient with solving problems.

Original review: May 29, 2017

The Long Term Care Insurance covers up to six months which is is very convenient. Other insurance or most insurances cover only the first four months. My Metlife insurance value is worth it. I would even pay more if the premium would go up. You will never find a better insurance. Great customer service, very respectful and always have everything under control. Their policy is simple and very legal. They are organized and always have their files neatly filed. You can ask for a policy copy or they can send it to your email. They always have a good answer to your question. They care very much for their customer. I would recommend their service to everyone. I would not go with anybody else but them.

Original review: May 26, 2017

MetLife's customer service was very good and helpful. They were able to help me with all my questions. There were a lot of good policy options that filled all my needs and that they were very easy to understand. The coverage was very comprehensive and offered a lot of different options. It was very good. The value was also very good and I will be recommending it to all my friends and family.

Original review: May 25, 2017

MetLife's value and coverage are awesome and the policy is amazing. I can honestly say that compared to other companies this one tops the list and I am proud to be a part of this company. The customer service is amazing too. Each time I call in the representative is happy, has a positive attitude and is willing to help.

Original review: May 25, 2017

MetLife is a good company and we feel secure with them. We are confident that they will be there when we need them. Their policy options are satisfactory. It could be better but the more you want the more the premiums go up. Coverage includes room & board, medical staff, and a nice outside environment for walking & exercising. They also have a nice cafeteria & public facilities. Value would be somewhere around $150,000 but this is my perception. Moreover, the staff was nice. Living quarters were fair, clean, and well maintained.

Original review: May 24, 2017

They have a lot of options for you to choose from and the coverage that you need. If you see something that you want they can tailor it to you and your family's needs. You can save a lot of money if you deal with them. I would recommend MetLife because it is a good company.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Applied and was accepted and have gotten the policy we felt was right for our family. The policies we were given to choose from were right for our need and budget. They covered the things we were most concerned with and thought we would need if the situation warranted. The rates and fees were within range for the services and benefits we were looking at compared to other companies with the same general comparisons.

Original review: May 23, 2017

They were very friendly to me when I talked to people and they had no troubles answering all of my questions. Overall I'd say great customer service. Great business. I pay a little bit every month and I'm covered for pretty much anything that could happen to me for the rest of my life because of my MetLife long term care insurance. They allow you to pay basically what they think you're able to afford and give you the best coverage possible. The value of my insurance is great.

Original review: May 22, 2017

The policy is usually easy to understand and always have step by step instructions for those who need it if they ever get confused. They have many coverage options to choose from that you are more comfortable with and that it will always fit your budget and have everything that you are looking for in an insurance program. The value is very high. They go beyond and above to get the consumer everything they need to have in a insurance program. They are always loyal and honest to the customers also which makes them a true keeper. They help in resolving the problem in a timely manner and are always there to help. If they fail they always go back and fix the problem.

Original review: May 21, 2017

The company offers a number of policies for all types of customers. Coverage depends on the policy you pick. If you picked individual or business & institutions, the value can increase or decrease and it just depends on what either has going on and could cost you a little or a lot. They will take time to explain each and match what policy is right for you. They are available to answer any and all questions. They give customers many different ways to contact and reach your department to get a resolution to any and all problems.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I really really like MetLife and I will just keep blabbing about how great they are. They have wonderful and helpful customer service. Policy options are all through my employer though. This is what they offer and I have to go with it. But I cannot complain very much because it was a very good option.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I'm happy with the overall coverage of MetLife Long Term Care. They have a few different policy options to chose from, makes it easy to pick a plan best for you and your budget, cheaper than some other companies. The customer service is pretty good. I currently have no complaints. They are very helpful and easy to understand.

MetLife Long Term Care Company Information