MetLife Long Term Care
3.12/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

MetLife Long Term Care

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

MetLife Long Term Care Reviews

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

My 90 year old mother began paying her long term care 25 years ago and always talked about counting on it when the time came. That time is now and I have been the one who has had to interface with this organization. I would rate them no stars but that wasn't an option. Starting at the beginning, the maze of forms repetitive in nature, you would have thought my mother was getting a secret agent job with the Federal Government for all of the crazy forms I had to submit. Funny, they knew exactly who she was when it was payment time.

So now she is in assisted living and don't send an invoice in 1 day too early? It will be rejected and thrown in the trash. It took forever for the first check to come and now when the Assisted Living facility sends the invoice, they feign that they can't send money because...(you fill in the blanks). My mother never missed a single payment, ALL they do is miss payments.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I had to apply for LTC for my father since he is extremely infirm and has dementia. I got jerked around just like I read in a lot of the other reviews here. For some odd reason I just decided to come take a look at their reviews. LOL. I couldn't believe how bad they were. I actually feel kinda lucky compared to some of the people here. At the end of my long exasperating process with them, they finally agreed to pay up. However, they decided they were only going to pay 54% of the highest premium amount, (which in his case is $90 per day).

Their reasoning is that because he lives in an "assisted living " facility they won't pay the whole amount. If someone can't walk, can't bathe themselves, can't eat by themselves, has dementia, and has advanced Parkinson's disease... wouldn't a reasonable person say that that person is 100% disabled? Oh, I forgot to mention he's in hospice too. I think someone should start a class action lawsuit against MetLife. Anybody interested?

Get expert buying tips about Long Term Care Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

My father purchased an expensive, long term care policy for my mother 20 years ago. In the past year she has had 2 ischemic strokes and a very serious hemorrhagic stroke and needs to be in assisted living. We have experienced what can only be described as criminal tactics and abuse with this horrendously irresponsible and uncaring company.

First, they “lost” their records of the policy and DENIED that the policy even existed. Only after presenting years of canceled checks and Credit Card statements did they grudgingly admit to the policy!

Second, the first few phone calls to them resulted in promises and lies about how policy coverage would start 90 days after her stroke event. Everything needed to start the policy activation process must be mailed — after waiting 10 business days for a call back from a “claims processor” and mailing EVERYTHING takes “10 business days”. Subsequent calls resulted in more restrictions on the 90 day waiting period.

Third, eventually, 2 months after my I initial call to them, we are now assigned a “care coordinator” who explains there are yet MORE restrictions on the 90 day waiting period and they need yet more information, which takes another month of delays.

Fourth, I call and request to speak to our assigned care coordinator, but can never get through. I leave messages and she eventually returns my call, but at times when I am unable to talk in the phone due to work demands. I request an email list of licensed facilities in our areas and they promise to send one. I receive NOTHING.

Fifth, 4 months into the process I receive a call from our assigned care coordinator who claims my mother's medical records state she experienced NO residual effects from her second stroke — despite the fact that she was sent to a skilled nursing home for rehabilitation and care — which was ordered by her neurologist— so the days she spent in there don’t count towards the 90 day waiting period.

Sixth, EVERY TIME I call the operators are saccharine sweet and helpful while they use every trick in the book to keep you on the phone, frustrate you and waste your time. They talk REALLY slowly. They put you on hold CONSTANTLY. They have to “check with a supervisor” — which takes forever, so you wait on hold or they can’t answer that and the person you need to speak to will “call you back in 5 business days”.

I am APPALLED, DISGUSTED and RIGHTEOUSLY ANGRY at the way my parents, who paid big money for this policy for 20 years, are being abused by a company that continues to delay, lie and try to cheat them. I honestly believe they are hoping that my mother will die before they can collect on their policy. The statistics I saw online claim that a huge percentage of our elders DO die during the 90 day waiting period and THAT is what they are banking on!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

DO NOT BUY METLIFE LONG TERM CARE INSURANCE. My mother-in-law had a stroke in April 2019. She has had a monthly draft on her account by MetLife Long term Care for decades. It is now October, 6 months later, and we have yet to receive any funds. It has and continues to be the most frustrating experience of my life. Everything takes 7-10 days to process. (By the way, it takes the US Mail 10 days to deliver a letter so use email and scan all your docs and have them confirm they got it by return email.) Can you imagine how much money they make by holding everyone’s payments an extra 6 months. They also continue to draft your premium until they approve your claim. I would hope there’s a company out there with better customer service and business practices.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Stay away from this horrible company! Our 88 year old mother purchased Long Term Care insurance over 22 years ago. She was told she would get coverage once she is unable for perform 2 activities of daily living such as dressing or bathing etc. Our mother can not bathe safely alone, she has difficulty walking, she can not drive or shop for herself, she has left the stove on several times, she has a leaky heart valve, and total collapse of her feet so they are sideways and she is literally walking on bone. We have being trying to get coverage for the past 9 months and they just keep finding ways to delay and deny coverage. I can't believe they can get away with it- not sure where to turn.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

My wife has terminal cancer, needs constant care, will be in hospice in near future. Met Life does not provide any guidance on how to present a claim, delays any response, fails to acknowledge receipt of completed forms, ignores phone calls. Never speak with the same person, no one signs correspondence, appears to looking for any excuse to not process or make reimbursement for claims submitted. Not sure if complaints to State Bureau of Ins will make any difference but plan to file a complaint for their failure to respond or give reasons for not handling claims in a timely manner.

Original review: July 8, 2019

You will read reviews about the company and people dealing with their services. Read what the reviews from the old people who have paid for years have to say how ** up this plan is. The Bottom line as a NYC policeman who took the plan out in 4/1992 (when the plan just started and seemed like a great idea) and has paid over $16,000 to these lowlife corporate shyster lawyers who devised this scam which is a exactly what it is. At 74 years old now and many physical problems they will not pay you. Forget you are in constant pain or can’t breathe because you were a smoker. The fine details are that you can’t feed yourself, can’t get out of bed, can’t dress yourself and need a wheelchair or crutches. Basically need to be bedridden and nearly dead. Plus they will take away your benefits and bill you again if you should fail your monthly monitoring. DO NOT BUY THIS BS SCAM!

Original review: March 20, 2019

My mom has paid into this policy since 1990. At 83, she was hospitalized a week ago and I called MetLife to get her claim going. The service I received up to the point where I asked to speak to a manager was appalling. No return calls, no one to answer my questions as to whether the facilities I was finding were covered under her plan, etc. All the while dealing with going to over 15 assisted living facilities, being with my sick mom at the hospital, and placing her home up for sale.

After finally reaching someone who cared, my experience has been 100 times better. They have been calling me and updating me about the process. I am concerned after reading these reviews about the wait time for reimbursement since MetLife cannot give you a date of when your claim will be finalized. I am praying that the better service will continue because I can’t take much more. If our claim is denied my mom will literally have nowhere to go.

If you are purchasing this policy please know there is a 90 day waiting period before benefits will begin once you are approved. Paying for assisted living care for 90 days is no joke and I think any family would find it difficult. Maybe this is typical for other long term care policies, I do not know. As I expressed to MetLife, when people are finally using their long term care policy, it is most likely due to a hospitalization or extreme need for assisted care for a loved one. This is a stressful and painful time for families. The last thing these people need is to be fighting an insurance company who should be there helping in this time of great need for these families. I look forward to writing again when my mom's claim is approved and payment is received for her facility. I truly hope my experience will continue to improve with those I am finally feeling heard by.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Everyone is correct about the premium increases. I've had my LTC policy for many years and the premium has more than doubled while I've had to reduce benefits to keep it affordable. I've complained to the Department of Insurance in PA and MetLife many times and I get the standard answer: Your policy has a provision for premiums to increase if MetLIfe and the Dept Of Insurance feel it's needed. Yes, I know that provision is in my policy but based on sales propaganda from MetLife I never expected the premiums to increase 18.8% like they did this year, on top of all the increases every year prior.

I've suggested to both MetLife and the dept of insurance they place a new disclosure on their insurance proposals to new prospective clients informing them of all the annual and historical premium increases so the consumer can be advised, I still DO NOT see that disclosure on the proposals. Why, they know if they actually told the truth about REAL premium increases NO ONE would buy their product. I take responsibility for buying a crap product but they should be forced to disclose this for prospective sales. Not disclosing their outrageous increases is as bad as the lie they told me about their financial soundness. I'm sorry I ever did business with MetLife.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My mother paid $224 monthly after rate increases, for long term care policy, with cash out if never used. June 2018 I called to make claim for help. I was told up to 15 days for forms. They never came. Mom died July 1st. I faxed death certificate and forms for premium refund $30,000. I've faxed and called and emailed everything they asked for... This is the most UNPROFESSIONAL, CONFUSED company I've had to deal with. It's now January 2019 and I'm still trying to get this straighten out. Next step will be attorney. Very upset. I wonder if this is how they profit!

MetLife Long Term Care Company Information