1.55/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

76 Globe Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

A couple months ago I got insurance with them. In Dec 2018 that took out a payment from my bank account then 2 weeks later took another payment. They only have record of 1 payment. I have been given the runaround by customer service on what I need to do for them to credit my account. I have sent in bank statements. Still keep getting the runaround. Stay away from his company. I told them that what they're doing is fraud and Theft. I canceled my account with them. Globe Life has not yet refunded the money they took out of my account and is treating me like I'm trying to rip them off.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I bought myself and my 2 sons policies about 20 years ago. Since they are adults now we switched the policies to term with our present insurance company. I contacted Globe in Mid-October to see what they needed to close the policies. They said they needed a letter verifying that we were changing the policies over to another company.

My insurance company mailed the letters on 10/31. 6 weeks later I was still getting bills in the mail for the payments that were due in November. I should not have been receiving any bills. I spent an entire day - really I was at work, trying to reach someone who was not a ** on the phone, nasty or just plain rude. I was hung up on 9 times after being on hold for over 30 minutes. I finally reached a supervisor who would not give me any information on my sons' policies because apparently they were the owners of the policy even though they are getting the payment from me and my name is on the policy.

I then emailed letters to them verifying that my sons want the policies closed. 2 weeks later bills again in the mail. My new agent's office called Globe to state they had mailed the letters and verify that they received them. They did not have the letters from 10/31. Once again I was on the phone going through people like paper towels. Rude, **, snippy and nasty.

Finally I reached someone I could email the letters to. I emailed them and they assured me the policies would be closed! Ok we are now at 12/21 almost 60 days. A week later bills in my email and bills in my mailbox. My new insurance company corporate office called Globe, they wanted to know why the letters were not be accepted. Globe stated in order to close the policies they wanted the final payment in order to send us a reimbursement? What? WTF does that mean. They do not make any sense!

So I emailed every day until I received a phone call on 1/5 from a supervisor, mind you this is a Saturday, she would not talk to me because I did not have my policy number. I was in Milwaukee for the weekend. I have since called her 6 times and left voice mails, no return call as of today. She wanted to talk directly to my sons, they were in Chicago at a funeral. It took her 4 days to call them back. She would not close the policies without talking directly to them. I have since filed a complaint with the insurance bureau of Colorado. How in the world does this scam company not be shut down. I will wait 2 weeks to see if I have a refund in the mail along with the policies being closed.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Globe Life has received thousands of dollars from my family & we have no coverage simply because they have not submitted remittances in a timely manner. I get no satisfaction from customer service via phone calls or in writing. Thus, we get newer coverage at a higher cost, everything is ok for a few months, then no timely remittances again & the same thing happens again with customer service (sic).

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

This company doesn't deserve a star based on my recent experience. I have had a policy on each of my sons since 2015 with Globe Life. I recently noticed strange messages on one of the two accounts, so I gave them a call. One representative told me payments that I've been making have not been processed because I was making payments too quickly--really?? I make payments monthly and sometimes I make a 3 month payment via the app. Nevertheless, both accounts are current according to my bank statements. I receive confirmation notices from Globe Life and notice the payments documented on my bank statements for both policies. Most recently, one policy has gone into an inactive status while the other policy is in a paid to date status. I noticed last week that a message of "premium paying back" was attached to the status of one of the policies.

This is ridiculous and so I called to find out what does the "premium paying back" mean. I got a seriously, clouded response about payments taking 5-7 days to process, I'm making payments too quickly, etc. I was told to wait for the payment status to update. I checked again today to see what was going on with the payment status for both policies. I got a different representative this week and listening to my explanation, the representative giggled at my frustration with the inaccurate information and poor service I've recently experienced.

When I comment to her that this is nothing to giggle about; what if my son (family) were to suddenly need this coverage and the policy is erroneously in an inactive status which would leave us confused on top of devastated. She gave what I perceived to be a weak apology for her lack of professionalism. When I told them I sense a scam, her giggles went to professional mode. Now they have been giving both policies attention. One hour after hanging up with the representative and pulling out 6 months worth of bank statements to send to the accounting department, I see that payment due dates and the status of one policy has changed. From last week to today, one of my policies went from current to inactive.

Why on earth would I pay one policy and not the other? On top of that, I was told last week that I didn't have the type of policies that would allow my sons to take out a loan because they would never have cash value, nor could the policies be transferred from whole to term life. Less than 5 days later, I'm being told the cash value to date for each policy and given an explanation about the maximum loan amount that could be requested if needed. Ridiculous that I've had the policies on my sons for about three years and the only cash value thus far is less than $200. I am seeking to dissolve these policies and go elsewhere. I am bothered because these folks have my bank account information for purpose of making payments. I wish I had found this website and reviews years ago before dealing with this mess. It took me several years before I actually checked in to Globe Life--should have followed my first mind.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Tried to make a payment online, but system didn't respond. Called Customer Dis-Service but they don't work on weekends. Very odd business policy - they don't want your money unless you contact them during the week...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Globe Life Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I contacted Globe Life about whole life insurance for the amount of $30,000. Everything went well until I was asked if I was mentally or physically disabled. I said yes to one of the questions. I get a call about a week later from the underwriter going in depth about my disability (Which is a mild one). I understand from research that there are some questions they are not allowed to ask. I was very honest. I had not heard anything for a couple of weeks so I called. Yes I have been approved but for only $5,000 not $30,000. Of course they know they can't discriminate on disability so they give me the lowest amount which we know does not even begin to pay for funeral expenses. You try to be honest and this is what happens. I asked why such a low amount and I was told I would have to put that in writing to the company to find out. Do not believe no discrimination, no health questions, or fairness with this company. I'm a good example of that lie.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I signed up for 250,000 in term life and another 250,000 accidental death policy. because they could not find anything medically wrong with me they chose to deny my application... I contacted them to find out why I have not received my policy nor has any payment been processed, at that time they informed me that underwriting had denied my application for the above reasons. People get coverage for obvious reasons, for a company to deny your application and not contact you by email phone or mail and inform you of the decision is absolutely absurd. I thought this company was a good company but boy was I wrong!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I applied for $10000 in life insurance based on the premium being $26.99 a month for my age bracket (it was a term life policy). I received my policy and the premium was $38.72. I called them immediately and was informed that because of prescriptions I take the underwriter decided I have to pay a higher premium!!! First of all I'd like to know who gave them that information without my consent!!! Second of all I am not on any medication for a life threatening illness. This company is very deceptive and they false advertisement!!! Needless to say I'm going elsewhere for my life insurance!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My father passed away in May 2018 and I found out he had been paying faithfully on a whole life insurance policy for me for 30 years. He paid almost $200 a year and the amount available to me is only $1800 in savings. That's not all. I have been trying to have the policy transferred to my name since then. Each time I call they say they did not receive the death certificate. Then they say they did but a note was not made on my account.

Then when I tried to borrow $1500 from the account to help with my dad's expenses, they said the money would be mailed in 15 days. 3 weeks later I call to check on it and they tell me I have to ask for a loan in writing and also give me the same BS that the account was not transferred to my name. They do everything they can to stop you from getting your money. I can only imagine if I died that my kids would NEVER collect the money. This company is a complete fraud and scam. I would advise to NEVER purchase from them.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I submitted a claim when my father passed away and they denied the claim without reviewing the medical records. If they would just read, they will see that he developed issues after we had already purchased the policy.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My experience with Globe Life Insurance was great. My son passed away on September 8, 2018 and they paid the funeral home immediately and then 2 weeks later I had a check in the mail. When I call for the status of my claim customer service was very nice and helpful. I am truly blessed that they didn't give me any problems.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Globe has unrightfully denied my mother's life insurance claim. She died less than two years after the policy was purchased. They allege the application questions were not answered properly, but they were honest and correct. I now am not only grieving her untimely death, I am also dealing with fighting them. Shame on them for putting people through this.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

2018-09-25: Called to get my policy surrendered. Not to mention the mere pittance they are sending after 27 years, I really did not need to hear about how the Representative's father passed away and was not found for 4 months, with his body completely opened up from rot, etc. How unprofessional can you get! Did not need to get a personality analysis from them, stating thing like "You are a binary type person, aren't you?" NOT YOUR BUSINESS!! Why would they, when I am canceling, ask about my current health, my burial plans, and even my finances. NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! Avoid this place at all costs!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I applied for a $10,000 Life Insurance for my wife per phone. Got a call from underwriting to my wife with several questions concerning her health since the insured was her. Ok... fine! But then we get an email saying she was approved... approved. I assumed it was for the $10000 we applied for. But being curious as I am, I went online to check things out. Guess what... I find she has a $5000 policy with same premium as the $10000 policy. I call GLOBE to find out... "What's going on? I applied for a $10,000 policy." I got some explanation, a name to the coverage, I assume it had to do about her health (which is good but not excellent).

My complaint is that Globe did not inform me of their decision to issue a policy of a lesser amount but at the same rate of the higher rate. I guess I would have not noticed until she died (God forbid) unless I had reviewed the policy when issued. Needless to say "I CANCELLED". Beware of "GLOBE". Make sure you get what you requested!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My sister was denied insurance from this company because she is in a wheelchair and has bone disease. They say you do not have to have a medical exam and will not be denied. They based their decision only on a few medical questions. What difference is it WHY or HOW people die? It is inevitable that all humans die eventually! Why even be a life insurance company? My sister has not been ill with bone disease issues for many years - guess that does not matter. So if you know anyone with any health problem there is no use bothering with this company who claims YOU DO NOT EVEN HAVE TO HAVE A DOCTOR EXAM! That is because they can find out about you with JUST A FEW QUICK QUESTIONS and they're really fast NO!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We've had life insurance on our two children since they were under 5 years old. Two years ago our son died suddenly and Globe Life Insurance true to their promise made to us over 40 years ago, paid the policy that we had on Christopher. Seeing that our granddaughter doesn't have life insurance we took out a policy for her. Hopefully we will not need to use it and that she can at some time in the future keep it or cash it in for financial needs. We are grateful for the inexpensive but necessary, products that Globe Life offers and that they were there for us when we needed them.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I've had Juvenile/Child insurance for over 40 years and paying premiums on time until recently (May 2018) 1 of my payment was denied from my bank. So I ask Globe to investigate why and until today I have not received a clear answer. I've called, emailed, wrote letters and not had a legitimate answer as to why? They say they're still looking into it. Then I keep getting solicitation mails and policy premium lapse letters and still have not resolve my original complaint. Very frustrated policyholder.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I'm presently fighting with Globe Life Insurance because I was married 18 years yet we divorced 13 years ago. I continued paying on my policy on my ex husband all these years. He recently passed away in June 2018 and the company hasn't yet honored my policy which I used to pay for his service. Now I'm being told that they may pay for the service but will not pay me the difference being that we are divorced, yet I'm the one that has been paying the policy ever since it was taken out during our marriage.

It is not right for companies to try and take advantage of people during their times of grief or even otherwise. If they will not honor my policy in whole I requested that they pay me back EVERY PREMIUM that I've paid over the years and trust me that's a lot more than what the policy is worth. I personally did not get my insurance through this insurance company, I was with another company that this company took over, and I would never recommend anyone to this company.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I just cancelled my term life insurance policy with Globe Life. I had only paid one premium and before the next premium was due I called to cancel and request my premium be returned. I was told that I could not get the premium returned because that had to be done within the first 30 days of the policy. I explained that it was within the 30 days since I paid the 1st premium. "Oh no," they said, "We paid $1.00 for the first month so your premium was for the 2nd month." I said that I didn't even get the policy and billing to read in the mail until after the 30 days paid for by their $1.00. I told them they were dishonest & the $1.00 was only to keep them from having to return a premium. They were so sorry I felt that way. Meanwhile I am out almost $40.00. Grrrrr.

Original review: July 27, 2018

This has the WORST EXPERIENCE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! My issue with this company started over a month again. One month and a week later, the issue is still NOT RESOLVED. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER... No one was able to supply me with accurate information. Requesting someone in management, apparently is unheard of. I'm going to escalate this issue way past this just a review. The only reason they received one star is because I couldn't bypass the option.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I had the best experience with the company. I signed up for life insurance for my mom, and, unfortunately and unexpectedly, she passed away really quick... I was charged $1 for the 1st month, was really devastated, and didn't care about any money. The company kept sending me letters pushing me to send a claim, and I finally sent it on the last day. I didn't even check my mail after that because as I said, I was very upset, and because I just got the insurance and paid $1 for it. They kept in touch all the time sending me letters explaining the process of the investigation as my mom died within first 2 years. It wasn't that long that I received a check for 10,000. And you know, what else? At the very end of the letter it was a line which touched me more than anything: "If we can help you in any other way, please, let us know..."

Original review: July 9, 2018

I got Globe Life Insurance. After 6 years I stopped paying on it in Jan of this year because you are not really getting much money after paying for it. The company called me many times to ask me if I wanted to keep paying my bill. I told them no. I ask them to cancel my insurance. They stated they would sent out a check. That was a month ago. I called today to find out where it was and they stated they took our money and paid the insurance we canceled. I spend hours on the phone with Luke who told me the company took our money. Now they want to refund me only 17 dollars. How can they do that? Terrible company. Because we canceled they took the money back and I will be fighting to get it.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I recently requested information from a life insurance company but it was not Globe. Suddenly I was contacted by Globe and even though I requested that the mailings stop, months later it still has not. My mailbox has still been flooded with letters of solicitation from Globe. At this point I am so frustrated with their company that I would absolutely NEVER get insurance through them.

Original review: June 8, 2018

So let me start with my grandmother passed away last year while I was incarcerated. My grandma left some money to me and some to my mother. Well let me tell you Globe Life sent my check to an address that I didn’t authorize which allowed someone to cash the check into their bank. Now mind you I was incarcerated at the time of her passing so I knew nothing about a check being sent to nor did I care. I mean my grandma had just passed. Well long story short every time I call I get told different things. Just last week they were telling me they dropped the check in the mail last week.

Just called today and now they are trying to get it “overnighted”. It’s just one big nightmare. Do not get life Insurance with these people. I am telling you that you will regret it. I want to speak to whoever is in charge here because I am getting ready to go to court about my money! Oh yeah can’t forget how they rush you off of the phone and act as if you are in the wrong for calling to check on your money when they are the ones that sent it out to a address that I didn’t authorize! I have been going through this with them for 3 months now and still no check... Take your business elsewhere. Globe Life is a bad company.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Wow, it appears I am the exception to the rule because my experience with Globe has been nothing less than outstanding. Back in 1997 I took out a couple of small Whole Life policies on my two young (at that time) kids. In the ensuing 21 years I have made a number of changes to the policies, like increasing coverage, changing names when my daughter grew up and got married, etc. Every time I have contacted Globe Life I have found their customer service people to be polite, friendly, knowledgeable, and committed. Happily, I have never had to make a claim, so I won't speak to that. But based on my 20+ year relationship with them I have every confidence that it would be handled appropriately and professionally.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been with Globe Life Insurance since 2010 with a term policy. Because I am older and in excellent health I thought it would be wiser to change over to whole life. They sent me another policy information form to fill out. On the form I mistakenly checked a box in 2 a that I suffered from cancer, disorder of heart, liver and brain which indicated a yes answer, I corrected the answer by scratching out the yes and indicating a no answer. I received a call from one of their representatives asking me why I scratched out the yes answer. I informed her that it was just a mistake and I corrected the answer on the form. She changed the form to indicate a yes answer and because of this I was denied whole life insurance. My health has been the same since signing with them with no changes. I am in excellent condition. My policy was altered on purpose. When contacting them they just file a complaint. Questions 1 and 2a incorrect.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have Life Insurance through Globe LIFE Insurance. They were very prompt and thorough. I needed to update my beneficiaries and I received the documents to update the info very quickly. Thank You Globe for providing LIFE Insurance to me.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My uncle died of accidental causes in February of 2018 and as of May, Globe refuses to pay the $10,000 benefit to his surviving daughter, who is very sickly and on dialysis three times a week. Consequently, she is unable to do battle with Globe. The beneficiary and I initially spoke to "Austin' in Customer Service who was very polite and sympathetic and expressed his sadness about our loss. He gave us the status of our claim as “Pending” which was not very helpful, but he connected us that Claims Department.

Claims said our claim was in Medical Review and it is uncertain how long that would take. So, I asked to speak to a Manager or Supervisor and the Claims rep said that would be Claims Resolutions Department. That’s when we were introduced to “Asia” and the tone of the conversation turned from polite (as was the case with the aforementioned contacts) to defensive to ultimately hostile. I explained that the claims had been pending for three months and the survivors, whom are poor, have to solicit donations from the church, family and friends to scrape up just enough to have Mr. ** cremated instead of a proper funeral with a casket and burial. Asia showed no concern whatsoever and said the claims was contestable, Globe had requested multiple documents from the Madison County Texas Justice of the Peace and Medical Review also remained to be completed.

The documents Asia referenced included an investigation report (which is the same as the Madisonville Police Department report that Globe already has); a toxicology and autopsy report (which is the Montgomery County Forensic Services Department Autopsy report which I personally provided to Globe after receiving it from the Madison County Texas Justice of the Peace office) and “medical records” (Asia did not explain why Globe would think a County official would possess the deceased medical history). When I challenged Asia on these points, she became very argumentative. I asked her if she would be willing to personally do whatever possible to expedite the receipt of any needed documents and she refused. She ended the conversation with an extremely sarcastic “You have a nice day”.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We have had a small accident policy with Globe Life since 1983, paying a small premium. The premium was deducted from my business account all these years. Recently I retired and needed the premium changed to my personal account. The policy was so old they said they couldn't find it. For two days I was on the phone with them being transferred to various people and finally someone said they had found the policy and that I needed to fax a voided check along with policy number, routing number, etc. Which I did.

Requesting the premium be deducted beginning April 23. I called Globe life on March 27 and said everything had been taking care of. However, when I received bank statement, the premium had not been deducted. So I have called today. The person I talked to found my policy but her supervisor could not. They are supposed to be calling me within 2 hours. What if we had had a claim to be filed? I am not pleased with this company at all right now.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I've been with Globe Life for about 2 years. This company right here is a terrible company to have insurance any life insurance with. The customer service don't know what they doing. They quick to take your money. They transfer you to other people that don't know what they doing with their job. They always passing you along for no reason. I had life insurance with them with seven different people. What I did is I took the adults and went to another company better than Globe Life insurance. I kept the kids with Globe Life because they had a better rate and whole life insurance they have rates never go up. The reason why I'm leaving them because it's all about the respecting the customer and catering to the customer who's paying life insurance. They rather collect the money and don't care how customers feel.

My problem was I made the payment for three policy for my kids. They went to my account three different transaction. I understand it's three different policy. My bank charge me overdraft fees for each transaction Globe Life Insurance rather not give me the $87 overdraft fee. If their CEO would know that they lost a customer for only $87 they would have said, "You should have kept this customer." I cancel my insurance policy. Now they giving me a hard time to cancel. I'm just asking for the 11 months. Globe Life Insurance basically telling me Oh I have to write a letter saying I want my refund, I want my money back and also the state that I resign. I cannot get refund back. Does that make any sense...

Globe Life is a greedy company. Their whole life insurance policies will expire when the person turn 99 years old. All that's a waste of money... It's 2018. These days you see people making it to 110 years old... I need an insurance company that's going to have my back until life. My insurance company that I currently have is the best Forester life insurance!!?? When I look at those complaints in a reviews for Globe Life Insurance they are terrible. I understand why people canceled. Leave this company. Globe Life Insurance customer service is terrible. The business is terrible. They greedy money hungry greedy...

Globe Life Insurance expert review by Neal Frankle

Globe Life Insurance is among the most prominent and reputable life insurance writers in the United States. Founded in Oklahoma in 1951, the company provides life and accident insurance to individuals. They offer a variety of plans that tailor to individual needs, and make the buying experience easy with no sales agents involved. They have more than $69 billion of insurance in force and are committed to providing secure life insurance protection to their policyholders.

• Convenient service: Globe Life Insurance offers online quotes, service through the mail and the option to contact them via phone.

• Online access: Customers can access their Globe Life Insurance account information online for easy account management.

• Accidental death protection: Globe Life Insurance offers accidental death protection so that the family of the deceased is covered in the event of an accidental death.

• Adult and child life insurance: They offer life insurance coverage both for children and adults to ensure that families receive the assistance they need.

• Medicare supplemental coverage: Globe Life Insurance provides supplemental coverage for Medicare holders to cover costs that Medicare doesn't.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Globe Life Insurance Company Information