3.98/5

62 GEICO Renters Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Buyers Beware - GEICO is not the provider of the renters insurance they sell, they are a reseller of Assurant Renters Insurance. If you look up Assurant, they have terrible reviews because they have terrible customer service. GEICO will not cancel the Renters Insurance they sell you, you must go through Assurant. Assurant does not make it easy to cancel. You cannot cancel on the phone or on their website. You must cancel in writing and that they make difficult and delay responses. Meanwhile they keep collecting your monthly fee even three months after you informed Geico you moved out of that residence.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

To whomever is out there looking for renters insurance please don't go to GEICO AKA ASSURANT. IT’S A SCAM!!! I had a bad experience with them. My home was burglarized and I had coverage they took almost a month to try to settle. The Adjustor never called me I was the one always calling. Very unprofessional. Treated me badly, poorly, and unfairly. I always been on time with my payments. They claim they cover you but they really don't cover your home or your belongings if something happen. It's a RIP OFF!

Don't waste your time or money with them even if you show them ownership of your things they try to low ball you and have you make an inventory list with the items, condition, how long you had them and where it's from just for them to make up their own sources , all these taxes, a different replacement cost than what it cost today and to not pay you for whatever may have happened to your items!!!! It's a third party not GEICO and the amount they give you will not cover your home if something was to happen. Please beware. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. I WILL BE CONTACTING A LAWYER AND ALSO CORPORATE!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Since I already had car insurance through Geico I thought I would bundle my renter's insurance with them. My apartment requires it. I did not understand at the time that it’s a completely different company. Since it was so cheap I decided to do it anyway. I did the automatic payments so I was never late. When I went to renew I noticed it went up about 15.00, which I thought was ridiculous! The only thing they offered to lower it was if I changed my policy basically getting less coverage. The cancellation process is atrocious, you have to go through about 4 screens to cancel. I ended up getting a policy with Nationwide at a better rate than I was originally paying and more coverage! Thinking about changing car insurance too. Geico should really do their own and not be shady going through other companies!

Original review: April 17, 2019

We have bought renters insurance thru Geico, had a flood from a rain storm in the basement of our home ruining all the furniture and electronics that were down there. A 70 year old lady comes out to take pictures talks about getting stoned and partying, takes some pictures of the water and furniture. We get a call back and say that it’s not covered because it’s seepage! Seepage my ** it’s flowing in from walls floor everywhere!

Can’t keep the water out. Was dry when we put everything down there, stayed dry until we got massive rain all in one day! Stay clear. Go to Farmers or State Farm. Do not I repeat do not use Geico! Not only are we canceling the renters with them but our cars as well. Run as fast as you can and don’t look back! Crooked thief’s is what they are! Won’t allow me to post pictures or I would be happy to do so.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Please be aware of Geico when it comes to their renters/homeowners insurance. They are selling you third party Insurance and fast talking you so you won't know. They make you think you're buying Geico renters insurance but you're not. I’m truly hurt because I have auto insurance with Geico so please be aware of this scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO Renters Insurance?

Original review: March 22, 2019

We have had all kinds of issues insuring a 120 year old house in a depressed housing market. Geico GOT IT! They did it online and over the phone. We didn't have to deal with an expensive out of date insurance agent.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Ironic that CA offers the title above to select. I am seriously disappointed in Geico. I had auto insurance with them for years and decided to look into renters insurance. I called Geico and was told to get the quote through the Geico website. I filled out the online form and then called to clarify the details. I was referred back to the online quote which was not specific in the first place and when I did it was no longer accessible. I requested the quote in writing and was told that was not possible. Because I trusted Geico I used my primary email for the quote and it was the only site I went to. Since then I have been attacked with intrusive insurance advertisement phishing emails that take over and freeze my PC when attempting to unsubscribe. GEICO IS A NAME I NO LONGER TRUST!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I foolishly signed up for renter's insurance through GEICO- however I found out too late that the sales rep at GEICO had flip-flopped my coverage amounts for my Personal Property and Personal Liability. I made it clear 3+ times throughout the sales sign up process that I needed to protect the value of my storage unit and that I did NOT care about Personal Liability, ONLY PERSONAL PROPERTY. The sales rep probably misquoted and later on flip-flopped the coverage values to keep the price I was quoted, thinking I would never have to file a claim and therefore never find out.

9/10 times this would probably be true, however last month I went to my storage and discovered a fire sprinkler head had burst and almost all of my contents were destroyed. After assessing it as a total loss, weeks later the claims adjuster is barely responding and dragging his feet with my claim, even though the claim is for A FRACTION of what it should be. Do NOT trust Homesite Insurance, or GEICO for that matter.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

STAY AWAY!!! Their Insurance is CHEAP for a Reason, They don't pay anyone to actually call you back when you need to make a claim. Fire took my entire house and everything I own Sunday 08/05/18 - called and filed claim same day. They refused to respond or call back until Wednesday 8/7/18, not even a manager cared. Still unable to remove any of my items - and they are rotting under 6 inches of water and soot and ash. Restoration guy said nothing will be salvable now that everything has sat in the water and been stormed on. In the time of need, they don't give a ** about you. I will never use them again and everyone I know will not use them either, as it will be a life goal to have them switch from this Terrible company.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Had a fire in my house. The renter's insurance will pay me for that. Since then I got kicked out. Love my rental. My storage unit got Loaded. My property got stolen because I couldn't pay my bills to get to a safer place and my car gets stolen. I can't get Geico to pay me anything for the renters insurance. They owe me more than $80,000. I want my money. I paid the premiums. I paid their bills and now they won't pay me and I'm homeless because of it. I'm a sick old man. Can barely walk and now I have no place to live bring them to justice.

GEICO Renters Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

GEICO was founded in 1936 and has grown to employ 30,000 associates. The company is headquartered in Chevy Chase, MD.

• Property agency call center: GEICO provides a dedicated call center for property claims. In addition, claims information and contacts for GEICO property insurance partners is available on the company website.

• Renters insurance information center: GEICO provides consumers with education and information specifically regarding renters insurance via its online Insurance Information Center.

• Mobile support: The GEICO mobile app allows customers to have a digital ID card, manage accounts and policies, as well as manage claims appointments.

• Easy access: Customers can access GEICO online 24/7, 365 days a year. In addition, GEICO has 14 major offices around the United States.

• Military discount: GEICO offers members of the U.S. military special discount programs and service options.

• Best for: Renters with personal property, renters with high risk, renters who sublet,, members of the U.S. military and renters looking for an online experience.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky