2. Moving
  3. Renters Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.03/5

GEICO Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO Renters Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO Renters Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

The process was very simple. They contacted me with Assurant who takes care of the bill. The monthly bill is part of my GEICO statement and notified when due. Been with the GEICO since 1995 and renters insurance since 2018.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

All I can say is that I was able to get insurance with GEICO and I have car insurance with them. I've been very pleased with their car insurance and their renters insurance was very reasonable priced. I haven't had to issue a claim so I'm not sure if it easy or hard.

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I have had Geico auto insurance for many years. In 2010 I became disabled and had to search a more easier way to pay my bills. I called Geico, they explained how since Im a renter I could bundle auto and renters to save. I did just that. Have been bundling ever since and still have. Ever had any complications. They have a lot of discounts which help out too. They are the best for me.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I have been with Geico with last 5 years. I am satisfied with their product and service although I have never did any claim with them. I took Assurant condo insurance as a group policy. This year my house got damaged due to neighbour's fire and the real face of Assurant came out. When I reported the incident to them assurant told me they'll open a claim and it takes 24 hours to open it. Next day when I called the rep told me no claim has been opened. I requested them to open it again and this time they gave a claim number and told a adjuster will be assigned and didn't gave me any details about my policy what will be covered and told, "Your adjuster will tell you." During this time I moved to a hotel with my family not sure how much can I spend.

After 3 days the adjuster finally called me and told me about the limits. He told me, "You can stay in hotels and submit bills and he'll issue a check." After two week that adjuster stopped responding to my calls and emails. When I reached out to assurant they told, "A new adjuster has been assigned to your case." When I asked for his information they only gave his name and not his email address or phone number. I never got any communication from assurant about this new adjuster. Almost a month has passed me living in a hotel with family with two kids and this insurance company is also not helping me out. Very bad experience.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I would not recommend them. As a company, GEICO is fine and I have never had an issue? But I have has the need to file a claim. The problem is that they partner with extremely unethical renters insurance companies like Assurant.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Garbage customer service. SCAM. Waited nearly a month after our inspection to say they were going to cancel our insurance DURING A PANDEMIC if we didn't get thousands of dollars of unnecessary repairs to our home. Told us our deck required rail. By law it does not, new build, legal. Tried to cancel our insurance over it. They are incompetent. Said the payment that they took INSTANTLY from our account would be 7-10 business days to refund. SCAM ARTISTS!

Original review: July 1, 2020

As a very pleased GEICO Multi-auto customer I added the Renters. But this weekend I filed a claim as a kitchen cabinet collapsed and crushed my wife’s iPad. Denied! ‘Wrong type of collapse’(!) Will have to find another insurance company. Lost trust.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We went through GEICO for our renters insurance and they set us up with a company called Assurant. It's funny how ** is in their name because this is what these people are. I feel like I'm getting robbed by them now! Worst customer service ever!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Buyers Beware - GEICO is not the provider of the renters insurance they sell, they are a reseller of Assurant Renters Insurance. If you look up Assurant, they have terrible reviews because they have terrible customer service. GEICO will not cancel the Renters Insurance they sell you, you must go through Assurant. Assurant does not make it easy to cancel. You cannot cancel on the phone or on their website. You must cancel in writing and that they make difficult and delay responses. Meanwhile they keep collecting your monthly fee even three months after you informed Geico you moved out of that residence.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

To whomever is out there looking for renters insurance please don't go to GEICO AKA ASSURANT. IT’S A SCAM!!! I had a bad experience with them. My home was burglarized and I had coverage they took almost a month to try to settle. The Adjustor never called me I was the one always calling. Very unprofessional. Treated me badly, poorly, and unfairly. I always been on time with my payments. They claim they cover you but they really don't cover your home or your belongings if something happen. It's a RIP OFF!

Don't waste your time or money with them even if you show them ownership of your things they try to low ball you and have you make an inventory list with the items, condition, how long you had them and where it's from just for them to make up their own sources , all these taxes, a different replacement cost than what it cost today and to not pay you for whatever may have happened to your items!!!! It's a third party not GEICO and the amount they give you will not cover your home if something was to happen. Please beware. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. I WILL BE CONTACTING A LAWYER AND ALSO CORPORATE!!!!

GEICO Renters Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

GEICO was founded in 1936 and has grown to employ 30,000 associates. The company is headquartered in Chevy Chase, MD.

• Property agency call center: GEICO provides a dedicated call center for property claims. In addition, claims information and contacts for GEICO property insurance partners is available on the company website.

• Renters insurance information center: GEICO provides consumers with education and information specifically regarding renters insurance via its online Insurance Information Center.

• Mobile support: The GEICO mobile app allows customers to have a digital ID card, manage accounts and policies, as well as manage claims appointments.

• Easy access: Customers can access GEICO online 24/7, 365 days a year. In addition, GEICO has 14 major offices around the United States.

• Military discount: GEICO offers members of the U.S. military special discount programs and service options.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor