2. Moving
  3. Renters Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

GEICO Renters Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO Renters Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO Renters Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I would not recommend them. As a company, GEICO is fine and I have never had an issue? But I have has the need to file a claim. The problem is that they partner with extremely unethical renters insurance companies like Assurant.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Garbage customer service. SCAM. Waited nearly a month after our inspection to say they were going to cancel our insurance DURING A PANDEMIC if we didn't get thousands of dollars of unnecessary repairs to our home. Told us our deck required rail. By law it does not, new build, legal. Tried to cancel our insurance over it. They are incompetent. Said the payment that they took INSTANTLY from our account would be 7-10 business days to refund. SCAM ARTISTS!

Get buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 1, 2020

As a very pleased GEICO Multi-auto customer I added the Renters. But this weekend I filed a claim as a kitchen cabinet collapsed and crushed my wife’s iPad. Denied! ‘Wrong type of collapse’(!) Will have to find another insurance company. Lost trust.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We went through GEICO for our renters insurance and they set us up with a company called Assurant. It's funny how ** is in their name because this is what these people are. I feel like I'm getting robbed by them now! Worst customer service ever!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Buyers Beware - GEICO is not the provider of the renters insurance they sell, they are a reseller of Assurant Renters Insurance. If you look up Assurant, they have terrible reviews because they have terrible customer service. GEICO will not cancel the Renters Insurance they sell you, you must go through Assurant. Assurant does not make it easy to cancel. You cannot cancel on the phone or on their website. You must cancel in writing and that they make difficult and delay responses. Meanwhile they keep collecting your monthly fee even three months after you informed Geico you moved out of that residence.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

To whomever is out there looking for renters insurance please don't go to GEICO AKA ASSURANT. IT’S A SCAM!!! I had a bad experience with them. My home was burglarized and I had coverage they took almost a month to try to settle. The Adjustor never called me I was the one always calling. Very unprofessional. Treated me badly, poorly, and unfairly. I always been on time with my payments. They claim they cover you but they really don't cover your home or your belongings if something happen. It's a RIP OFF!

Don't waste your time or money with them even if you show them ownership of your things they try to low ball you and have you make an inventory list with the items, condition, how long you had them and where it's from just for them to make up their own sources , all these taxes, a different replacement cost than what it cost today and to not pay you for whatever may have happened to your items!!!! It's a third party not GEICO and the amount they give you will not cover your home if something was to happen. Please beware. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. I WILL BE CONTACTING A LAWYER AND ALSO CORPORATE!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

Since I already had car insurance through Geico I thought I would bundle my renter's insurance with them. My apartment requires it. I did not understand at the time that it’s a completely different company. Since it was so cheap I decided to do it anyway. I did the automatic payments so I was never late. When I went to renew I noticed it went up about 15.00, which I thought was ridiculous! The only thing they offered to lower it was if I changed my policy basically getting less coverage. The cancellation process is atrocious, you have to go through about 4 screens to cancel. I ended up getting a policy with Nationwide at a better rate than I was originally paying and more coverage! Thinking about changing car insurance too. Geico should really do their own and not be shady going through other companies!

Original review: April 17, 2019

We have bought renters insurance thru Geico, had a flood from a rain storm in the basement of our home ruining all the furniture and electronics that were down there. A 70 year old lady comes out to take pictures talks about getting stoned and partying, takes some pictures of the water and furniture. We get a call back and say that it’s not covered because it’s seepage! Seepage my ** it’s flowing in from walls floor everywhere!

Can’t keep the water out. Was dry when we put everything down there, stayed dry until we got massive rain all in one day! Stay clear. Go to Farmers or State Farm. Do not I repeat do not use Geico! Not only are we canceling the renters with them but our cars as well. Run as fast as you can and don’t look back! Crooked thief’s is what they are! Won’t allow me to post pictures or I would be happy to do so.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Please be aware of Geico when it comes to their renters/homeowners insurance. They are selling you third party Insurance and fast talking you so you won't know. They make you think you're buying Geico renters insurance but you're not. I’m truly hurt because I have auto insurance with Geico so please be aware of this scam.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We have had all kinds of issues insuring a 120 year old house in a depressed housing market. Geico GOT IT! They did it online and over the phone. We didn't have to deal with an expensive out of date insurance agent.

GEICO Renters Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

GEICO was founded in 1936 and has grown to employ 30,000 associates. The company is headquartered in Chevy Chase, MD.

• Property agency call center: GEICO provides a dedicated call center for property claims. In addition, claims information and contacts for GEICO property insurance partners is available on the company website.

• Renters insurance information center: GEICO provides consumers with education and information specifically regarding renters insurance via its online Insurance Information Center.

• Mobile support: The GEICO mobile app allows customers to have a digital ID card, manage accounts and policies, as well as manage claims appointments.

• Easy access: Customers can access GEICO online 24/7, 365 days a year. In addition, GEICO has 14 major offices around the United States.

• Military discount: GEICO offers members of the U.S. military special discount programs and service options.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor