2.94/5
Based on 51 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

52 GEICO Renters Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 12, 2018

I'm happy with the company connected with Geico Auto Insurance but they couldn't tell me how much I would pay for flood insurance as we live very near a lake. Nevertheless, their prices are excellent.

Original review: June 4, 2018

We've had Geico renters insurance for a while now. We had an accident with a lawnmower that we have, in which they stated all personal property items inside and outside is included, and now they refuse to do anything about it cause it wasn't a act of God. Now contacting a lawyer, and getting a hold of the insurance fraud line here in Missouri. This is complete and total lying and misrepresenting and stealing of hard working people's money. After this crap is settled I'll definitely cancel all of my Geico insurances.

Get expert buying tips about Renters Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We got renter's insurance right before we left from New Jersey and moving to Nevada we spoke with someone and they told us we will be covered for damages. I asked specially about the moving company issue and he told me not to worry because everything will be protected. We clearly stated we will be moving and I felt like we are scammed. We paid upfront and we told him we are moving then all the sudden we found out they randomly canceled our renter's insurance without our consent and they kept telling us on the phone that we got letters in the mail but we never did. No one informed us on anything.

We called to make a claim because the moving company damaged our things and now all the sudden we do not have renter's insurance. I feel so scammed and manipulated and lied to. These people make me want to end my life because I’m tired of the lies I am getting and they cannot own up to their own mistakes. We paid in full for renter's and canceled our car policy ONLY with them because we found a cheaper! Not ever did we say cancel our renter's insurance. This is so unprofessional and now I’m out SO MUCH MONEY AFTER THE GUY ON THE PHONE ASSURED ME I WILL BE OKAY WITH THE MOVE AND IF ANYTHING HAPPENS.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Have autopay turned on. Geico raised 6 months rate in August 2016 from 900 to 2700 and continued to raise rate thereafter to reach 3100 every 6 months. I did not realize it until I moved to a new home and had to get new home policy. The monthly charge to my bank account was more than 500. I called to complain and they said that is the current going rate. I called three other companies and got 1400-1500/6 months rate. I canceled Geico and went to a new company. If you put your trust in Geico to give you a competitive rate, they will screw you every time and will continue to steal money from your account.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I got a renewal notice and thought it was fraud from American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida. It wasn't until I saw Geico in very tiny letters that I realized it was rental insurance renewal. The premium is much higher this year and I cannot get any human being on the phone. Call the number on the bill and all you get are a circle of prompts with no way to talk to a person. Call Geico's number and it routes you back to the bank's circular system. I'm not renewing. How could I ever get help if I can't even get a person on the line to talk about a renewal? Awful. Geico should not have their name associated with this group.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GEICO Renters Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Expensive. After hurricane Irma this year. Out of 10 questions to rep, 10 answers were No... Nothing is covered... These guys take your money all year and won't even pay you for lost food in the refrigerator. Before the storm even hit--they put a disclaimer under claims--wide-spread power outages due to hurricanes not covered. Hopeful that food was the only thing I lost, but glad I experienced with Assurant before something bad actually happens and you need them. Get Out!!! If you have a policy.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

My husband and I live in Texas and Tropical storm Cindy was on the way and we were expected to get 15" of rain. We called Geico immediately and specified the reason for our call. THE STORM COMING. We asked and verified over the phone that it covered flood. Come to find out, Harvey comes in late August and when we go to file a claim we got a denial letter. We have went round and round and got nowhere. They even said that we verbally denied flood insurance, which is in no way true. IT WAS THE WHOLE REASON FOR US CALLING!

We have called Geico to try and receive a taping of the phone call recording. To no avail. We tried to cancel and they said to keep it for a few more days so that they can look into it and we would get a return phone call in 2-3 business days. More than a week later, no call back and now I've been waiting on the phone for 15 minutes to try and cancel. I feel as if our agent was just trying to sell a policy. I will NEVER use Geico again for my home needs. PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

It has been 9 days since I filed a claim for "loss of use" after a tree fell on the house I am renting. I provided all the required documents, including the report from the local fire department stating that the house was unsafe and unfit for habitation. I was assigned an adjuster who never answers his phone, never responds to emails, and who has yet to contact me in any way. When I call the claims line, I am placed in an endless voicemail loop and when I visit the website, it is either down due to "technical problems" or the site is up but displays absolutely no progress at all on my claim. This is shameful for a company such as GEICO. I intend to file a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner's office.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I spent over half an hour over the Phone just waiting for an agent to pick up the phone. They do not provide an efficient website that can add a third party in the policy. This is shameful for a company like Geico! I wish I did not purchase the full year coverage at once!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I called Geico to get a quote for a new homeowner’s insurance and after giving them the information requested, the insurance agent told me Geico was unable to provide us insurance because we owned an Akita (which apparently is on the vicious dog list) and we had 2 kids under the age of 12! We never had any insurance claims regarding our current house, the kids or the dog! We did not know until now what a "high risk" family we are! By the way, if you own any of these dogs good luck getting home owner’s insurance: Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Presa Canarios, Chows Chows, Doberman Pinschers, Akitas, Wolf-hybrids, Mastiffs, Cane Corsos, Great Danes, Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

After several years of reliable car insurance with GEICO, I decided to use them for a new renters insurance policy. This was a mistake. They quoted me a figure of $177/year for my set condition ($20,000 property; $300,000 liability; $5,000 sewage with $100 deductible). I received both verbal confirmation over the phone and email verification of the quote.

After calling back to set up the quote and again confirming these figures, I was sent an Evidence of Insurance form that now stated my policy as containing only $100,000 of personal liability. So I called customer service and was informed that they had "no way to verify" that the original quote email was valid; they insisted on raising my premium to $186 to cover the original conditions. While this increase is small, it represents extremely dishonest business practice. Of course, over thousands of people, this little trick will net a lot of extra money for Geico/Assurant. Many people may not even notice. As a side note, the "inability to verify" is ridiculous in the 21st century and clearly fabricated. Why not let me send you back your own company's email? You can check it against the original.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Please do not use Geico Renters Insurance - Assurant. You are paying for nothing. They will use fraud threat or other rider to get out of paying for your loss. Our movers lost all of our clothes, my gmas china, Christmas tree and several totes of goods. Geico denied our claim cuz third party ins co for movers was contacted. These movers got out of paying because they didn’t pack our goods - loophole. Then, Geico victimized us again and denied claim. We were robbed along w 10 other apts with police report. They sent claim to fraud dept to intimidate us. Read online how vicious these people are. I dropped the claim playing into their hand. Not worth what they would put my family through to avoid paying for our traumatic loss. YOU WILL NOT GET A FAIR OR ANY PAYMENT ON CLAIMS. PLEASE DO NOT USE GEICO. You may save $$ but if something happens, you are not going to see a dime and will be treated very badly.

Original review: April 11, 2017

Great customer service, online website and application. Gives advice, very flexible, able to push out my payments if necessary. Never have to wait for a representative to talk to. Fortunately I have not had any claims yet but my daughter has the same insurance and they were quick to process her claim and resolve issues. They have many policy options to fit your personal needs and pricing. They are the best I have found. I would greatly recommend them to someone looking for new insurance. Great for renters plus you get a discount if you have your auto insurance with them. I am a renter and was able to pick a low price.

Original review: April 3, 2017

They have good rates compared to their competitors. Everything went well with claims processing except the waiting when called. Their automated system is one thing I would change. I would rather speak to humans but their rep was nice and they were helpful in answering questions. They have policy options that allows you to make the right choice for what you need. Overall, they have a very good policy. The coverage is sufficient to meet all the needs. It helps to know that you're covered in case of an emergency and it makes you more comfortable about the day. I would also recommend them to most people who seek insurance because this is a very good company. The commercials are interesting as well.

Original review: March 29, 2017

You Gotta love the little Geico scooter Insurance get saving money. The coverage is a pretty good deal and they got Good customer service, too. I've been getting good people. I would definitely recommend it to anybody to do it or get it. You guys should try it.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I switch from one insurance to GEICO because they made me a better offer. The policy is simple. You can save yourself 50% by switching from one carrier to the next. And they are going to give you the best policy that fits your benefit. If it doesn't work for you, they will make sure that you're satisfied before you leave. There was a time when I was down and out and all I had to do was call on them and they took care everything from my service. The workers always keep a smile on my face and show that they care and want to help. Before everything was done, they made sure that I was satisfied and save me 15% on a lot of things. I recommend their coverage to anybody because their coverage rates overall with full benefits, full medical, insurance, and anything else that you need to be covered on. Their coverage will last you for at least 20 years if not more.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Every time I had to call customer service regarding any kind of questions, like billing, etc., they have been very helpful. I have not filed a renters insurance claim, but the process seems easy, fast and clear enough and the representatives seem nice and professional. They have a wide range of available options. Their prices are not the highest or the lowest, but they are fair, good value for the service provided. They have a wide range of options, so you can choose the coverage level that meets your needs. Coverage, service and overall value are high.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

Helpful, courteous, and very detailed with their explanation. Took the time to thoroughly explain the insurance options and simply answered all the questions. Very thoughtful. Made sure all questions were answered and explained carefully. Went through step by step procedures. Quick with sending an agent out. For the reasonable and affordable prices, the policy is worth every penny. Had many coverage options to chose from. I had 30k coverage and you can definitely go higher if need be. Coverages major damages, guests that were injured while visiting. Or if the roof caved in or damages from the weather.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

Geico Renters Insurance Customer service staff appear to be United States based and are friendly and easy to communicate with. Very professional staff. Geico's claims processing is super easy and efficient. Adjuster was dispatched and arrived on time and handled our situation quickly. The claim was processed very quickly. Geico's Renters Insurance offers several different options that will meet just about anyone's needs and budget. Convenient payment options make them super easy to use. Geico Renters Insurance provides the coverage that I needed as well as all the possible options that I could ever ask for. Lots of options means lots of customizable choices.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

Works well in any situation with its customers, gets the job done fast and accurately, is very affordable for single or multiple plans and never once had an issue in any claims or situation I've dealt with with them. Works with you to get the problems solved, over compensation for my claims most of the time. Never once had any issues with any associates either, very well mannered staff. They got me the quote I most desired for the coverage I wanted initially and have never raised my rates due to any claims either. Worked to keep my payments to a minimum after any claim. Coverage was just what I needed. No more or less than I wanted, didn't over charge for the coverage I requested and worked with me to get the service I desired. Didn't try to over sell anything or push products and service either.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I was always able to reach customer service when I needed to, and they were responsive. I didn't have any problems they could not resolve. I did not have any claims processed by them while I was renting, but I do not think I would have had any trouble if I had. They were responsive to any calls I did make. This was quite a while ago when I had renters insurance, but my memory is that the coverage was more than adequate. I was satisfied with what I received.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

While it is easy to get a representative on the line without much of a wait, I find that the representatives themselves are sometimes a bit unresponsive to questions and requests that need solutions as soon as possible. It took way too long to be transferred to a claims processor and then have to wait and be out on hold numerous times as they went back and forth checking policies and procedures for the type of claim I had. I don't believe that they have the best options as my apartment is small and does not have a lot of things in it yet they price way too high. I think they cover more in the price than necessary for someone such as myself. I have minimal items and not very expensive and yet they did not give me the choice for a lower coverage.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

They are a fairly good company. I like the fact that when you call them, you get to talk to a real person instead of trying to do it automated. The service reps are nice and are very helpful. The claims process is easy and simple. No, it is not fun to file a claim because many people think that it will get declined and not go through. However, my claim went through and they called me often to give me the status. The options of the policy were generally good. I wish there were some more options, but for my purpose it was just ok. I like on their site how easy it is to see all the options available. The coverage was fantastic. It covered all of my needs. I did however, read the policy through to see what it did and did not cover at first just to be safe.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Only customer service was in payments of premiums - no claims were ever filed during the time the renters insurance policy was effective. Would assume that things would have been satisfactory, if a claim had been submitted. Policy options were adequate, based on the worth of the items to be covered. Since this was renters insurance that was somewhat limited, but there was some flexibility. Contents and deductibles were the basics of the coverage options available on a renters insurance policy. There would be no need to cover the unit itself.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

This insurance is a must if you have rental property to protect you and others. So far I haven't had to file any claims. I am sure that when I do file a claim it will be handled in a timely manner to my satisfaction. The policy has different deductible options that you can get. Personally I took out the lowest deductible since I bundled all my insurance needs. There is three deductible options with the option of other extras if needed. I bundled all my insurances with the same provider to save money and pay one bill instead of different bills.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

I am really impressed with the customer service experience. They are really helpful and friendly. Always ready to help and good advice. Very satisfied with the claim processing experience. They are ready to help me always. Never get disappointed. It has great options and easy to understand. It gives many options and easy to understand and keep it straight. I loved it's coverage part. I found it a lot of good value. I found it the best when I go online. So, I always wanted to choose it.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Answered all our questions politely and within a timely fashion. Were respectful of our time and priorities and were not a nuisance or hassle at any time. Claims were processed in a timely fashion. The company was on top of everything and made the process as smooth as possible. No issues here. Many different options to fit your needs. All options were explained clearly and concisely, and I did not feel pressured at any time to make a decision in a rush. Coverage was thorough and no issues came up throughout the duration that renters insurance was used. Very easy company to work with, would definitely recommend.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

The customer service representatives were very helpful and friendly. They were very knowledgeable and went above and beyond to find the best rates. I never personally had to file a claim but the whole customer service experience was very pleasant. I had a policy in no time. The representatives explained different policy options and rates as well as different coverage options. I was very pleased with how knowledge that she was. They had options to cover fire and water damage in case of a disaster and also had coverage for valuable and personal items in case of a robbery.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

The customer service representatives were very friendly and knowledgeable. I was never on hold for too long and they were always able to answer my questions. Lucky for me I never had to file a claim. If I had, I think they would have been helpful. They usually took care of my concerns quickly. There were several options for me to choose from to adequately cover my assets and remain within my budget. Some had high deductibles and some had none. Coverage options ranged from the bare minimum to the values of specific items. For example, we had several jewelry items and heirlooms we needed to cover and it was no problem.

Original review: July 26, 2016

We had a renter's policy with GEICO (Stillwater) for about 4 years, never used it once. Not a single time. Had our policy on autopay, never missed a payment. Had my wife's engagement and wedding ring insured and paid the extra premium. Last year I purchased a rather expensive watch and needed it insured as well. Provided the receipt and asked for it to be added to the policy. Refused to insure without an appraisal, that's like getting an appraisal for a Honda or Audi... it's brand. After shopping around for 3 months I finally find a jeweler who agrees to appraise the watch taking into account the cost I paid for the item and what it would cost to replace it. Send in the appraisal and get it added at long last.

Get a call about 4 days later from some guy in GEICO stating that the portion of the policy covering jewelry is being canceled because I filed a claim in February when my laptop was stolen from me at the airport. So in essence, I paid for 4 years straight into a policy I never used, I use it once and they cancel it. Shady and not worth the trouble. They want you premiums but God forbid you use the policy for what it's meant for. They don't want to cover anything of value. Lesson learned.

GEICO Renters Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

GEICO was founded in 1936 and has grown to employ 30,000 associates. The company is headquartered in Chevy Chase, MD.

• Property agency call center: GEICO provides a dedicated call center for property claims. In addition, claims information and contacts for GEICO property insurance partners is available on the company website.

• Renters insurance information center: GEICO provides consumers with education and information specifically regarding renters insurance via its online Insurance Information Center.

• Mobile support: The GEICO mobile app allows customers to have a digital ID card, manage accounts and policies, as well as manage claims appointments.

• Easy access: Customers can access GEICO online 24/7, 365 days a year. In addition, GEICO has 14 major offices around the United States.

• Military discount: GEICO offers members of the U.S. military special discount programs and service options.

• Best for: Renters with personal property, renters with high risk, renters who sublet,, members of the U.S. military and renters looking for an online experience.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky