Farmers New World Life Insurance
Based on 60 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Farmers New World Life Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 15, 2017

61 Farmers New World Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I started the process of trying to get life insurance and critical illness back in Feb 2017. I was assigned to Dan **, and I specified upfront that I am difficult to insure due to some health conditions. He said, "No problem, we would find something." Made appt with him for first meeting and to go over applications. Last minute he had to cancel and we went through the forms over the phone. It took a very long time as there were a lot of questions, but I know that is standard.

Then he emailed me some quotes, but they were completely unprofessional - like he printed pages from somewhere and scanned them in badly, they were hard to read and disorganized. He gave quotes for completely different companies for life insurance than the ones he quotes for critical illness (which is ridiculous). Took me hours to try to make sense of the poorly designed quotes, so I did not manage to get back to him for a couple weeks while I tried to make sense of the quotes. He did not even include how many illnesses were covered for critical illness, and wanted me to just pick only 2-3 to find out about. I told him I could not pick top choices until I knew how many illnesses, and also that I needed quotes for the same companies for Critical illness and life insurance. In every email he sent me, he called me by a different name (spelled wrong, wrong name, etc) and I finally asked him to use my actual name. Very disrespectful.

Finally I made a choice, and he said we had to meet again to get some more information. We arranged to meet (he was late), and then he made me go through answering all the same questions I answered before, taking over half an hour of my time and losing me my lunch-break. During the questions, he suddenly piped up that because of the health issues I have there may be issues getting me insured. I was furious!! After all this time, when I was VERY clear upfront that I had pre-existing conditions and had been turned down before, and he assured me it was no problem. Now we wasted all this time for nothing.

Then when going through questions, when I stated I had an anxiety disorder, he wanted to know what caused it?? Seriously, he deals with life insurance, and is completely clueless about mental illness?? I had to explain that it is a chemical balance and he might as well ask someone with MS why they have MS. I was livid.

Finally we finished the forms and he was going to send them in. And I waited. FOR MONTHS. We met last in April. I had to keep sending emails to follow up, because months went by and I heard nothing. Then finally in June he emailed me to say they asked him for more information weeks ago and he missed it. Then another month went by, and I finally got contacted for a medical checkup. Fast forward to August 15 and I was notified I was denied. So, after 6 MONTHS of wasted time, dealing with an unprofessional and ignorant broker, I am back to square one. Furious. Thanks a lot.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Paid on life policy for 30 years. Made claim 2 weeks ago and still nothing. They play mailing games using snail mail and not honoring claims in a timely manner despite assurances claim is being expedited. Research Life insurance companies that are more efficient and do not play these games with claimaints.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 13, 2017

In 1990 I purchased a life insurance policy from Farmers. I have paying this thru automatic pay thru my checking. About 2 years ago I had an emergency and needed some cash so I took a loan out on the cash value. When I asked the agent how to pay the loan back he advised since the loan was on my cash value I did not have to pay it back if I didn't want to because it was the money I had earned. Since things were a little rough I decided not to pay it back. Now I have all my insurance needs thru Farmers but a different agent. So I decided a few months I needed to get this policy over to him to take care of it. So I sent a letter to have it transferred to him. He calls me a couple of weeks later and tells me that policy has been cancelled. Come to find out the other agent was wrong. This did need to be paid back.

So my agent said we could ask to have it reinstated. So we send a request. I get a letter today with the check I had sent in to cover what was due declining to reinstate because I am now overweight. I have paid on this for 27 years and they were not worried about my health when they were taking that monthly payment. The agent that messed this all up is no longer agent. I have 5 cars insured, my house, motor home and my kids' life insurance thru Farmers. I will be looking for another insurance company and move everything.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I have been actively attempting to cancel the life insurance my parents purchased for me for the past 6 months now. When I first took this up it was because my parents said they could not cancel it because I was over the age of 21 and it technically belonged to me although they were making the payments. I went as far as changing the address to mine and submitting a cancellation letter as they asked with my signature.

From then on it was just a mess. They said the cancellation needed my mom's signature. Then my dad's (who was in the hospital in critical care at the time) or a power of attorney. Then when I asked why they needed it they said it's because mine signature was invalid because my parents were still the owners of it. Then why would they be giving my parents such a hard time with this in the first place?!

Irritating enough. They sent the check to my parents' old address (although I had previously been receiving mail in the new address I previously changed) and when I waited for 2 weeks to receive it, I was waiting on a response from a staff member who was set to help me out. Needless to say I called and the staff said they could not send it to my address unless my parents called and changed the address, and wait yet another week to receive it. So I drove to visit this house 4 hours away to retrieve it. Cashed it in with my parents.

Finally I get a response from the staff member helping me saying she has canceled the old one and placed a new one (little too late, I told her not to worry) but she could not reverse the process, and now I'm short $1000 along with the fee the bank charges me if I don't have the funds and oh BTW, now I have to wait up to 7 more days to cash this other check in. Thanks farmers. Worst experience ever. Their staff is the billboard of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Never again.

Original review: April 8, 2017

Husband and I purchased ALL our insurance needs through Farmers. Since I spoke last we have discovered Farmers and their agents have falsified records to keep from paying. Plus have changed amount of policy. I have fought them over 2 years and to have them look you in the eyes and lie is just wrong. I also found out they were including West Coast Life of which is still being investigated. Just wrong!!! More to follow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I had Farmers life insurance for my mother. I received it through Sloan insurance. He interviewed my mother and myself and asked the slew of questions. We both answered all of them. They came back and said she was eligible for insurance but it wasn't cheap. So we got it and had it for 22 months. My mom passed away from cancer. When I filed claim they said they're waiting on records from pharmacy. That took two months. After that they said "we see your mom took a heart pill years ago so we need those medical records." That took another two and half months. Once they got it they asked for her records from the military another month and a half.

After that they denied my moms claim cause they said we lied and didnt disclose her heart problem which she didn't have but because she took a medication that could be used for that is why and because she had a doctor in his notes say she was in assisted living home. I produced a certified letter from the retirement home she lived in saying that they do not offer assisted living and she was in an independent living retirement home. So bottom line they drag this out for 6 months. They told me if she would have lived another two months then they would have paid cause she would have made it past their two year limit. The most insensitive bullcrap I have ever heard in all my life. Farmers has NO issue taking your money but they'll go above and beyond to NOT pay you. Beware!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

Husband a had policy in case if anything to take care of us. We were up to date. They told me a week to 10 days. They then wanted medical records. After another few months they denied stating my husband had lied more than 2 yrs previously on a "reinstatement" application. He did not fill this out. Agent did. He had had a heart attack and our agent was aware almost 4 yrs previously but he did not fill out papers nor did he die of heart attack. He passed from cancer.

Original review: June 20, 2016

I had this ins. in the 90's through the early 2000's. I was very pleased at first. Then in the 2000's I became disabled. Not only did I become disable, but my agent knew and the company was supposed to take over payments for me. Not only did they not do that, but my agent changed my beneficiaries to his brother and killed me on paper, with a death certificate. After I went through all of that, the company who should have been paying my bill told me I had to show proof that I was disabled. No problem! I sent the proof and instead of doing what they said they were supposed to do by my contract, they cancelled my ins. and told me I'd have to start over, knowing I couldn't pass the physical now. They not only did not honor the contract, their agent killed me to get the money!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I purchased life insurance shortly before my 70th birthday. I researched many life insurance companies for monthly premiums, amount of coverage and type of insurance. Because of my age I had limited choices but I decided to purchase life insurance from Farmers. I have both my auto insurance and renter's insurance through Farmers so I was able to receive a discount on what I wanted. My Farmers agent explained clearly and thoroughly what I would be purchasing. I feel sure that Farmers was the right company for me.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

We have had Farmers Insurance for almost 15 years and has always been the cheapest around. We have never had a problem. When we have needs an adjuster to look at something, the adjuster was very prompt. Whenever we need to get information regarding our recent accident, our adjuster was very helpful in getting us information we needed for the car repair center.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

I really have not had any problems with my life insurance company. It's just nice to know you're covered in the case of something happening to you when least expected. The company that I have my life insurance with is well known in its industry, and I feel my family will not have to be burden with funeral costs in a time when they are bewildered.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

Farmers has been very helpful with any problems or questions we have had. Premiums are competitive and the company is always looking to help us save money. When we have had a claim they have been fast, friendly and have paid our claim in a very fast manner. Farmers has a variety of services from auto, life, home, RV and also have specialty insurance to cover our firearms. We have been very happy with this company and would recommend them to our friends.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

After researching many companies, I found that this was my best one for me. They agreed to let me pay every 6 months with no problem. When I was filling out the paperwork, and did not understand, & asked for help, the representative was very understanding, & he made me very comfortable & willing to explain it without any hesitation. I would recommend anyone of my friends to use them without any hesitation!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

I purchased and had this policy since January 8, 2007 automatic drawn from my account. Now my understanding during this time told by my agent that I could come out cheaper if I did so. Anyhow, straight to the point I just found out the agent that sign me up had passed away only with the consumption of me calling to speak to him. No notice sent out whatsoever.

Please understand the service through him was great. He kept me informed and even send out holiday/birthday cards so I have to say the service was good then. No problem until now. Anyhow, I'm no longer working and had to contact the Farmers to let them know I closed my account due to my finances but I still paid my monthly payments using my husband account which by the way they took for two months. Now they're telling me they can't accept. I called to make payment and they wouldn't take it telling me the card had to be in my name. No warning about the change that was made. To top it off there isn't any Farmers Insurance nearby whatsoever! I'm looking into finding insurance elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

They made every experience seem like I was their only client. My agent always remembered my name and my face and they are located very close to me. Their pricing is very competitive as well and will always let me know if there is something I can do to get my rates cheaper yet.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

They are very easy to work with. The product line includes everything that I need to meet my needs and keep my family financially secure should the need arise. Our agent works with us to find the most appropriate coverage. They will also contact me regularly to see if there have been any life changes that might necessitate a change in my coverage. They are very proactive, which means that I don't have to worry about anything or do any research of my own.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

I have a term life insurance policy. I wish when I bought it I was more informed. I would have bought a universal life policy instead. My term policy expires in 3 years and then I will switch to a universal life policy and also up my coverage. My original policy was $60,000 since it was just me, but now that I am married I will probably switch to $200,000.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

Very easy to get signed up. The customer service is great. Very easy to navigate through website. I would recommend it to family and friends. My life insurance policy was easy and carefree to get established. It was offered through my work. So this was the easiest way for me to get qualified. Very thankful I did. You never know what life may throw your way. It's a lot better to be prepared with a good company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

We purchased life insurance at an early age to insure the security and safety of our children. We have received excellent advice over the years regarding adjustments to meet our financial needs and that of our family. The peace of mind that was provided by the purchase of life insurance is truly priceless. Thankfully, we have never had to collect on a policy as we are both healthy.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

I cannot say enough for the excellent quality customer service that I've gotten with Farmers Insurance. Not only did the agent take the time to discuss my life insurance needs, but explained the different kinds of coverage and made a recommendation as to what kind of policy would best suit my needs. After I purchased life insurance my agent called me back for the first few months to remind me about my payment coming out of my account. I have no doubt that they'd help me out no matter my insurance needs are. TY Farmers!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

I am really satisfied with my life insurance. At least to know I am in good hands when and if I pass away. I would definitely recommend this life insurance. One advantage of my life insurance is that it is affordable. They are also lenient. Another advantage is the well-respected people that work there get your answers straight to you. If you're looking for good, affordable life insurance call Farmers!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

The process was easy to file for. I like having a representative that is here in my home town. If I ever have questions he will answer them for me. I can either mail my premium to their address or have it deducted out of my account. I have never had to file a claim but I know that if I needed to they would be right there for me.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

There is not too much to say about the company itself. I haven't filed a claim as of yet, but if they are as helpful and courteous as my agent, which is another reason I like them, I do not foresee a problem with them if I ever do.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2015

I LOVE them. They're great!!! The agents take the time to make certain that I understand what my coverage covers and also they go over in depth what coverage I should consider obtaining. I really appreciate the time and sincere concern that they have expressed in making sure that I have the correct coverage.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2015

They were good about reviewing my life situation, and recommended an appropriate level of coverage. They really worked hard to guide me through the process, and even accommodated my work schedule, by agreeing to meet with me after hours. They really seemed to care about me and helping me to protect my family's future.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2015

Farmer's is a company I am fairly new to and I have been pleased with them as they are delivering on all the promises made when I was comparing companies. Customer Service is always eager to help and polite and respectful. Their rates are fair and they have all the modern luxuries that make a company fit with the times. They have solid ads that are warm and since I joined I have had no regrets. I have had very little problems with them, but rare ones I have had have been cleared up with one phone call and that is extremely rare these days.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

Be very careful with your bank information with this company. I tried to get my husband's auto withdrawals changed to a different bank account (which they never did). I had to make several phone calls to finally get this done correctly. The correct bank information that I gave them to charge for my husband's policy they used to charge for someone else policy. I applied myself for life insurance with this company and never heard back from them, then one day they called to verify my date of birth and had the total wrong year. Therefore they could not get my medical records.

So I applied a second time with still no response. I called them and they said that they could not insure me and said that my agent was suppose to get ahold of me which they never did. I gave up and got better insurance elsewhere. I am glad that I got insurance elsewhere because after what they did to my husband's policy and my bank account. I do not feel I could trust them with any information.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

I use Farmers because of their standing in the community. They're a highly respected company that I believe in. Customer service is top notch and you can always speak to a real human being right here in America. In this day and age of outsourcing call centers overseas, this is very important to me.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

It was a wonderful experience. Had nothing but the easiest time of my life. No hassle. No fuss. Customer service was spectacular. The representation was flawless. I have not one complaint about this splendid experience. One of the best transactions of my life.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

They handle my concerns appropriately. The customer service experience is very good. Whenever I make inquiries, they are treated with utmost importance and all information is communicated to me quickly. The various insurance packages offered are tailor and customize for me so much so that they help me to maintain my current lifestyle which achieving my various goals.

Farmers expert review by Neal Frankle

As one of the only large insurance companies based on the West Coast, Farmers is headquartered in Los Angeles. Farmers opened its doors in 1928 but is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Zurich Financial, an Irish insurance company.

• Current-customer convenience: Convenient to use for consumers who already have auto and/or home insurance with Farmers.

• Regional convenience: Being based on the west coast makes Farmers convenient for customers living in the region.

• Products: Limited menu of insurance products.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Farmers New World Life Insurance Company Information