Erie Auto Insurance

Erie Insurance

3.9/5 (1110 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Erie Insurance

Erie Insurance offers affordable auto protection policies with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company is available in 12 states, as well as in Washington, D.C. It provides some discounts for multicar policies and safe driving, as well as 12-month premium options.

Pros

• Discounts often available
  • 12-month premium options
  • Low cost

Cons

• Available in limited locations
  • Low tolerance for risk after claims

Bottom Line

Erie offers affordable car insurance with pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith service options. It gives discounts for safe driving and multicar policies, and it’s available in several U.S. locations.

Top Erie Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My agent is always available for me and answers any questions I have. I bundled my house and car with him. Service is outstanding. I’ll never change. My family had been with Erie ...

Verified

I have been with Erie for years, about 23. I like that I can do everything on their website online. They have several options on paying your bill so you can do it according to wha...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Erie Insurance?

Erie is an auto coverage provider that offers customizable insurance policies. It has several discount, perk and add-ons options, including a rate-lock program. You can get an insurance quote on the company’s website, but you'll need to work with an agent to purchase the insurance you select. You can also pay bills and manage your account on the website; all claims must be filed through its claims hotline. Erie writes policies in 12 states and in Washington, D.C.

How does Erie Insurance work?

Erie provides a wide variety of coverage and benefits, including basic coverages like liability, uninsured motorist, medical protection, collision and comprehensive. It also offers these additional coverages:

• Glass repair
  • Locksmith service
  • Personal items
  • Accident forgiveness
  • Travel expenses
  • Pet injury

Erie's Auto Plus package offers the following perks:

• Diminishing deductible: Takes $100 off your deductible (up to $500) every year without an accident.
  • Extra rental car time: Gives you up to 10 days of extra time with a rental car when your car is out of commission.
  • Even higher limits: Adds to your limits for services like locksmiths, etc.
  • Waived deductible: Waives your deductible if you also use Erie's home insurance and the accident involves your home (e.g., if you accidentally run into your home, you don’t have to pay the auto deductible).
  • Death benefit: Pays up to $10,000 in the event of a covered auto accident death.

Erie Insurance quotes and rates

Erie’s car insurance rates depend on the vehicle and the driver’s age, location and driving history. You can expect Erie's annual premiums for full coverage to range from $1,924 to $3,614 — but keep in mind that this varies based on your information and potential discounts.

Erie Insurance FAQ

Does Erie have accident forgiveness?
Yes. Erie offers forgiveness for your first at-fault accident if you've been a customer for three years or more.
How much does Erie’s car insurance cost?
Erie’s rates depend on car type, your situation and your state. You can get a custom quote on its website.
Where is Erie available?
Erie is available in the following U.S. locations: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia.
Where is Erie located?
Erie Insurance is located in Erie, Pennsylvania.

Is Erie car insurance good?

Yes, Erie offers competitive rates and solid coverage for drivers in its service area. We recommend Erie’s auto insurance for drivers who prefer working with a local agent in person to managing their policies online.

Erie Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 7, 2022

Erie Insurance is excellent! We have had Landis Erie insurance for our homes, cars and business for about 30 years, and we are certain that we will continue to choose this company. They have taken care of every issue we had in a timely manner in the past. Erie Insurance gave us tremendous help when our family was in a couple of extremely difficult times in our life. We recommend it to everyone, including all our families and friends. All our family members have Erie Insurance. Please don’t hesitate to choose Erie Insurance!

Original review: March 31, 2022

At the end of 2021 my vehicle was hit by a commercial driver insured with Erie. The Erie insured driver was at fault. Whereas, I understand some of safety protocols involved with Covid - i.e. not coming out to view the actual accident site or meeting with individuals face to face. The Erie representative was totally unprofessional and contributed to falsifying information and delaying the claim from being processed. I accept that it was her job to protect her client but it is also her job to be truthful and to make a decision based on the truth. When the facts showed her client was at fault, she got even more petty and delayed the processing further. Very unprofessional agent and looks like not her first rodeo in this area of deceiving and falsifying.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I have been using Erie auto insurance for years and no issues until I met up on these two (Michael ** and Paul **). My vehicle was at a collision center for approximately 50 plus days without being touched because Michael failed to submit appropriate timely documents for the the progress of the vehicle. When I tried to talk to him about the delays, he was so nonchalant. He said it has nothing to do with him. When I called the collision center the estimator was able to provide authentic proof that it was not on him. Michael released document to the collision center for the progress just after he said he had nothing to do with the delay. I was able to see this proof from the collision center.

I tried to call and speak to his supervisor, Paul, which turned out to be disastrous. He dispelled what I was saying to him by not allowing me to talk, sharp tone and he was very subjective to Michael. He wants to verify what I was saying but tells me Michael would not do anything I complained about. Obviously he already knew the situation from Michaels end and had his preconceived notion. By the time I called the supervisors at Allentown's corporate office, only one person I was able to communicate with after multiple voice messages, and he already got the news and was telling me what he was told already by Paul. This is not the way to represent a company! All the lies (adjusting email, everyone protecting each other, not listening to the customer and genuinely don't care about the customer). I am sure more people will complain until the company takes a stand. Disturbed!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

In all my years of driving, I have never had an accident or insurance claim until this year. It turned out to be a rather large claim for my car repairs and rental car. And now Erie is cancelling my policy. One accident and they cancel you? I thought that's what insurance was...pay for your policy and when you need it, you're covered. Not with Erie, you need their coverage? Get it once, then you're done. I was only with them for a couple of years, but now I'm happily shopping for another more reliable and honest company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I’ve used Erie auto/home since 05/2014. I’ve never put in any claims in nor asked them for anything. Until 11/2021 when a tractor trailer lost 1k pounds of coil. The driver stated he would be held liable for any damages/expense. I asked Erie to help since I had ALL the driver's information, social security number, driver's license number, DOB, address, phone and all besides the insurance provider. Erie would NOT HELP ME IN ANY WAY. I was advised from Erie to seek attorney assistance for this since I don’t have collision. This wasn’t a collision accident & there isn’t a police report. THERE IS A INCIDENT REPORT which CLEARLY states the other party would be held responsible. Well after almost 8yrs at Erie, I’ll be moving to a different provider.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Cannot get anyone to respond to us - over signed paperwork our agent cannot seem to submit to Corporate. Corporate won't speak with us and our agent - not sure what they do. Just a simple paper that was hand delivered to our agent. Local agent in Virginia Beach, VA: 1. Misquoted yearly rate 2. Failed to submit signed paperwork to Corporate for Umbrella policy 3. When we were notified by snail mail from Corporate of the issue, we HAND DELIVERED ANOTHER SIGNED COPY to the local agent. 4. AGAIN, local agent failed to submit to Corporate. 5. We received cancellation check from Corporate for an umbrellas policy that we paid for and signed paperwork. Local agent - no idea why they can't get it together. Corporate - refuses to speak to - tells us go talk to local agent. Our first and LAST dealings with the insurance company. I can't imagine how horrible it would be if we ever actually had a claim!

Original review: April 8, 2021

Erie is absolutely 100% amazing! My husband and I, and now my son, have been customers of Erie for years and unfortunately have had several claims. Erie always handled them extremely fast and their professionalism and care is outstanding! Recently, my son and his girlfriend left our house on Easter and were hit head on by a drunk driver who actually got out and ran off. Thank God they had only some cuts and bruises but my son’s truck was totalled! Erie handled everything within 4 days! Everyone we have ever dealt with through Erie has been completely amazing! We recommend Erie car and home ins to EVERYONE and quite a few people we know have switched and love it! My son’s girlfriend just saw how this recent issue was handled by Erie and is leaving Nationwide to come over to Erie! I cannot thank Erie enough for always being there for their customers and making horrible situations, bearable.

Original review: March 3, 2021

For all you hard working contractors out there, I'd like to share my personal experience with Erie Insurance. I've had Erie for for business general liability coverage since 2011 and I always paid my premiums. The policy was always serviced from where it was originated, specifically a very reputable authorized brokerage firm. Upon renewal this year, I was notified that Erie took my policy and was keeping it "in house" moving forward. My broker warned me that the level of service was going to be torturous and exhausting especially when it came time to request certificate of insurance (COI). At first I thought this might be a tactic to sell me a new policy for a better commission so I decided to stay with Erie based upon my past experience.

Several of my clients called me and requested COIs as they did in the past. I called the 800-222-2519 number and was prompted through to customer service. I was told to request the COI through a specific email customer.Branch@erieinsurance.com which I promptly sent out a request with specific language requesting five COIs. I was informed by the rep that the request will take up to 48 hours to process. I called back four days later and spoke to a rep regarding this request. She told me that she could not find the request.

I politely asked her to look it up under the email in which I sent it. She eventually found the request and informed me that she would send them out that day. Two days later I called back and went through this painful process yet again. I finally received two out of the five requests. I called back yet again and this time she informed me that the underwriter was unable to write COI for auto coverage or workers compensation coverage. I politely informed her that I was not requesting coverage for auto nor WC coverage, just the General Liability coverage that I've had for in the past, specifically the same customers with no alterations or changes in coverage.

Well. To make a long story short, they are denying me any more COIs to provide to my customers which I'm entitled to as per my policy. They are absolutely clueless at this call center and cannot give you any information without deferring to underwriting, even for a COI! I will be cancelling and reporting this to the Insurance Board for review and request advice from counsel. So you contractors and/or business owners with Erie, beware! Again, this is based only upon my personal experience which I am sharing.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Not real sure how to review this particular company without any insults.... Every single True Detail of my experience, if put into words would be a Devastating Insult.... Prey to God that the person who Damages your Vehicle has No Insurance at all over Erie Insurance... At least if they are un-insured and you have un-insured motorists rider on your policy then you might stand a chance of having your vehicle taken care of unlike the experience you will have if Erie has anything to do with it.... Honestly not sure of any possible way of giving an honest review and still maintaining my review within the (below stated Review Guidelines).... So I guess just that fact in and of itself will have to tell everyone what I have learned in a very short period of time.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

One of their insured drivers merged into my vehicle after I made a right turn onto the main road. And the photos of the damage corroborate the other driver merging into me. But they said it was my fault insinuating I failed to yield before making my turn. Mind you her vehicle was in front of me in traffic and should've seen me in the lane regardless of yielding or not. Not to mention I honked at the other driver.

Erie Auto Insurance Company Information