Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Erie Auto Insurance
3.28/5

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance sells auto insurance as well as home and life insurance policies. The company is not an InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch can give you quotes for all 26 of their verified insurance partners in just 10 minutes. Call now to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Erie auto insurance offers car insurance with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company’s positive reviews appreciate the responsive customer service for safe drivers. Many customers have been with this regional company for decades.

PROS

• Multiple discounts available
  • Low cost compared to major brands
  • Offers 12-month premium quotes

CONS

• Some customers paid a cost that was different from their online quote
  • Low tolerance for risk after claims

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Erie Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Most-affordable comprehensive policy for this retiree driving a 20-yr-old Ford. Despite increased uninsured/under-insured options, still priced within my budget. After a total loss (claim) 2 yrs. ago, rates are still ok.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

My experience with Erie has always been a positive one. After reading so many negative reviews, I have to wonder if the problem was with Erie, or perhaps your insurance man/woman. I purchased my Erie Insurance through Gary Donius Insurance over 25 years ago. I’ve been involved in accidents and multiple fender benders over the years. Everything has always been handled immediately and fairly with care and professionalism.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I switched from GEICO to Erie because their price was way lower. I've had several claims since I'm with Erie. They have been on the spot every claim I've ever had. Taking care of me all the way. Through each claim. To the end.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Thankfully, we haven't had to submit many claims for auto accidents. However, when we did they were right on the spot. Everything was handled efficiently & courteously. Our agent is always available & a pleasure to deal with.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have to say I was very impressed with the way Erie handled our auto accident (car was totaled and the driver was hospitalized for a day). There were 3 adjusters involved, one who dealt with the vehicle, one who dealt with the medical bills and one that reimbursed the lost wages. All were easily accessible both via phone and email. When the medical ran out under the auto coverage, it went to our health insurer, who reached out to Erie to confirm that the medical was exhausted. Erie promptly reached out to confirm it was ok to release the documentation and upon getting our confirm, they did. The offer for a vehicle was fair, they didn’t try to nickel and dime us. All claims, unfortunately, ultimately require effort, but Erie was as easy to deal with as I had hoped for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had Erie for a number of years when I bought a house and switched my car insurance from Progressive over because it was cheaper with their multi-policy discount. I had to use the coverage once when my car was broken into and the stereo was stolen from it which they covered the damages less my deductible obviously. A while back I had asked my local agent if there was anything they could do as I felt like I had been paying way too much for their insurance and he gave me a discount that amounted to saving me $50-$100 for the year so I accepted it.

I noticed going back over the years that my plans never go down, I have the same vehicles with no tickets or accidents and my credit practically hasn't changed so this year I got a quote directly with Progressive and with the exact same coverage they were less than 1/2 the cost of what Erie wanted. I purchased a 6 month policy with Progressive that would've been the same cost for only 3 months with Erie. I even upgraded the coverage on both cars so that all of my vehicles would have the same coverage for only an extra $164 yr which is still a lot cheaper than having liability on both cars and comprehensive/collision on the truck with Erie. I was able to get my policy with Progressive at $626 yr with comprehensive/collision on all vehicles, Erie wanted $942 yr for liability only for both cars and comprehensive/collision on truck. Progressive wanted $462 yr for the exact same coverage as Erie.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Erie insured's teenage daughter ran into my car while she was making a difficult left turn out of a parking lot. She didn't check traffic in front of her before moving. Crash was on Nov 14. As of Dec 9 this has not been settled. It is a small claim around 2000.00. Erie rep will not return calls. Checking with lawyer to see what to do next. Don't buy this insurance if you want to do the right thing if you are at fault. Neither the rep nor the insured care if we are compensated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I have a small business and I bought a policy for my business from Erie insurance. First year rate was ok then second year they increased the rate without any reasons. Before policy starts for the second year I called their main office to cancel the policy. They told me to call local office which is situated in Loveland Ohio. I called and canceled it, Finally asked whether I have to call again. They said no, everything took care and they sent me a $648 bill after two months. They did not cancel it right away, kept the policy actively for two months and canceled it. They do this to make money from the consumers. It was not my mistake and so why I pay for this insurance shark.

They repeatedly called and told me to pay the balance. Even some rude people from Erie called and threatened me. They tried to intimidate me. They said that they are going to take a legal action against me. If you deal with Erie insurance be careful. Especially, when you are done paper work. I have noticed they do incomplete or errant paper work too. Now I have a policy with Berkshire Hathaway. They offer a reasonable rate and professional service.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I was rear ended by an Erie client on 7/19/19. Small claim, under $2,000. Mr. Kevin ** appraised the damage on my car, for Erie, on 9/12/19 and has yet to give an estimate on the damage so that the body shop can make repair. Since then, I have left 4 phone messages for Mr. ** to call me. I have called back to the Erie area claims rep. and left message for her (Carrie) to call me on 11/6/19. To date I have received no returned phone calls from either Erie employee or anyone. Erie received a 1 star rating because of their attempt to rip off.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I have been with Erie for over 55 years and my family for 30 years prior to that. I guess I am too lazy to make a change. When we started with Erie we had an actual person for an agent who we would contact when we had a claim and he took care of it always to our complete satisfaction. Since his retirement my agent is an agency with no personal contact. If I call I get the next available agent, who ever that may be, who doesn't know me from Adam. You're instructed to contact the "claims department" who will satisfy your claim.

In 55 years we have had to file several claims, two of which were for deer and one turkey buzzard. All of the other claims were for accidents that were not our fault. The last one really stunk because the guy had no insurance at all and I was stopped in our car when he hit me and then lied about a witness that said I hit them and we had to pay a deductible. They also would not renew my property insurance on a rental unit in a certain neighborhood in the city. (Red lining?) No personal touch or loyalty to their customers.

Erie Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1925, Erie Auto Insurance has more than 90 years of experience customizing policies for the modern driver. They currently serve more than 4 million customers with policies in 12 states and the District of Columbia.

• Plus home and life: Erie Auto Insurance offers policies that include "plus home and life" insurance. This allows them to offer package deals and lower prices.

• Individual and business: Customers can receive an auto insurance policy for the family or the business with Erie Auto Insurance. This company has policies specifically designed for either.

• Insurance discounts: When working up a quote with an agent, be sure to ask about the dozen plus different discounts available, ranging from safe driver to reduced usage.

• 12-month quote: The quote that Erie Auto Insurance provides is for a full year, not the six months often offered by other companies. The price on the year is often substantially lower than the competition once it is divided into monthly payments.

• Complete coverage options: Erie Auto Insurance policies range from comprehensive to collision and have interesting add-ons available like property and medical coverage.

• Best for: Drivers looking for a discount, drivers who also own homes and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky