Erie Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I requested an online quote for auto insurance/renter's insurance bundle from Erie Insurance as I was shopping around for cheaper insurance rates than the ones offered by my current insurance company. The original quote that popped up was $119.74 per month (which I liked). An Erie employee Karen ** responded to my request. The first quote she sent me was doubled what I am currently paying; nowhere near the quote that had popped up on my computer screen. She claimed once I sent her my driver's license number it would be MUCH cheaper. I sent her my license number and the current full coverage that I now have on my vehicle. She continued to try to throw increases here and there on my insurance coverages. This did not sit well with me; I don't know if she thought I wouldn't notice it because I'm a senior or what she was trying to pull; but it immediately made me feel that Erie Insurance Company is not trustworthy.

I was an Erie Insurance customer for 12yrs. In those years I always made my payments ahead of time. In the past few years, I leased a Honda Civic. Unfortunately, for me over the course of 3yrs. I had 3 claims. All of which were completely out of my control. The first incident, a drunk driver totaled my car in a hit and run. The second claim was due to hitting a deer. Lastly I was involved in a hailstorm. I thought that the purpose of having and paying for insurance was for instances such as these. Never mind that, I always paid my premium ahead of time. Erie decided not to renew my policy. I am not to blame for random acts of nature however, things worked out for the best. I now own a BMW as opposed to a Honda Civic. I am insured with Geico. Guess what? Geico is cheaper than Erie. I wouldn't recommend Erie to my worst enemy. Thanks Erie for the education.

Hands down. Erie Insurance is the worst company I have dealt with. My vehicle was severely damaged by one of their covered drivers. It took me 4 days to merely get in contact with the claims adjuster, morning day and evening I tried. They wouldn't answer my calls or messages in any sort of timely matter. Once in contact they juggled me around and around to another representative (I had four in all) and they dragged the process as slow as possible. They were highly off point with initial estimates that I had to make it known for them the obvious undercarriage damage, and with that they dragged time further requiring their estimator to re-inspect what should have been found earlier.

I was without a rental car for two weeks though I was clearly entitled to. The main representative even threatened me with personal expensives stating that if I do not submit this claim to my own insurance that Erie would charge me for storage fees (I would have been charged my deductible and the accident was already written as the other driver's fault). As a whole ERIE is by far the worst company in general I've dealt with. It's now the seventh week without my vehicle but it is repaired. It's been on hold still with the shop since last Thursday and all because Erie's adjuster is "Not currently in my area".

I had someone hit me a year ago, Erie fixed my car right away, and collected from the other guy later. So, I didn't have to wait for the other company to call me. My rates are low. Went to USAA for a quote and there was no reason to switch.

A dog ran out into the highway in front of us. We couldn't stop and we hit him. My front end and passenger side in the front got messed up. I called Erie Insurance, took my car to the garage, they gave me the estimate and it was fixed in just a couple days. Nice, smooth, easy peasy. I am really happy with my insurance company and I've never had any problems with them. They have never been rude to me and their costs are reasonable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

In larger cities, talking with your agent on the phone is so much easier than living in the country! Usually, I have to go into the agent's office to clear up any discrepancies on my policy. Make sure to comparison shop at least every 6 months and be sure to ask about special offers from all insurance agents. Erie only likes to insure cars that are less than 5 years old, regardless of how long you've been a customer! I am a disabled veteran and I cannot follow "Normal business hours". When I filed my claim, I was very very sick (And hospitalized). I was expected to return a phone call to the adjuster within 48 hours and was in intensive care for nearly 4 days. The insurance company settled with the negligent driver while I was fight for my life. The only reason I stayed with them is they have the most affordable rates and payment plans.

It's a very straightforward experience. They directed me to a local body shop for the estimate, sent the check, and the body shop ended up finding additional work during job, additional work covered. Everything done well with little effort on my part. Everything was handled promptly, courteously, and taken care of.

After Geico dropped me after years of never filing a claim, I did some research and found Erie to be a better fit for me. I saved money in the process also. They're better than anyone else in my opinion.

Erie gave us best pricing after our old company raised our rates for no reason. Even with 2 new cars our payments were less than other major insurance carriers. Best pricing for the coverage we needed.

I received forms, completed them the next day, then mailed. I received check in about two weeks. I've been with Erie several years. Consider them good to deal with but not wonderful. Value is good, not great.

We did not have this insurance for a long time before we had a claim. It was a very bad storm that did damage. Erie was very quick and thorough to get an adjuster here and the claim was taken care of without any hassle. Their rates are very good for our area and I like having an agent close by if I have any questions or changes to make. Local agent and never any problems with a claim and the best rate in our area!

Very favorable. The insurance agent was very helpful and gave me important information about my policy as long as I had it with his agency. He assisted me in getting affordable rates for the type of insurance that I needed. He also suggested other options such as flood insurance and this was greatly appreciated. Any auto claims were settled quickly but in a professional and fair manner. All the different types of coverages such as liability, collision, medical and comprehensive coverages were explained in a clear and concise manner. I also received accurate auto insurance quotes whenever I inquired.

They are always quick to attend to my needs and make me feel number 1. They never make you feel like a bother. They know their information in and out and will get the answer if they don't. I never have had to file a claim but have 100% confident that it would be handled above and beyond what we expect.

Erie Insurance has been my insurance company for 40 years and they have always gone out of their way to be helpful and informative. I have never had a rate increase due to a claim and I have had a few. Erie has even found ways to get more money when I have made a claim. Their agents are friendly, courteous and appear to care about their customers on a personal level. A+ company.

I am satisfied with Erie because they are always available in their office to discuss any concerns or to answer any questions I may have unlike GEICO and a few other online insurance companies I have dealt with in the past. Here in Maryland there aren't any offices that I am able to walk into in my area when it comes to GEICO or Progressive. The online insurance companies have the cheaper and lower rates, whereas, Erie's rates are very high but they are easier to talk to and always available.

They are always very personalized with their service. They are quick to get back to us if we call with any questions. Unlike large companies who you speak with a different person everything you call, I talk to the same two people every time I call! Love my insurance with Erie!

Very good. Cares about the customers and their needs. They have good rates and I'm able to get ahold of them in order to go over my policy and rates. I just got a neat year and they worked with me to get the lowest insurance payment possible while still maintaining good quality and price.

Erie is a good choice for auto insurance because their prices are the lowest anywhere around. They also have many ways to lower your premiums. They are excellent when you have to file a claim. They are fair and fast in their appraisal process. They also have accident forgiveness. The only problem I have with them is they are not very efficient at supplying important information from my agent.

Excellent rates with good discounts yet all of the coverage that I wanted. Very good experience when I made a claim last year... It was settled & paid out in less than 2 wks. I was even contacted by the insurance adjuster when he didn't trust what he saw at my mechanic's garage... and he was right! My mechanic was a thief! So appreciative of the heads up from an insider.

I have not had to use it other than towing, it does bother me that even though I have not had a claim my rates go up but they are still cheaper than others. I do like the fact that they know me, I know them, I can call them up if I have a question or problem and talk about how to reduce my rates or adjust my coverage.

We have had Erie insurance for a long time. They were very helpful when we were in a car accident about 12 years ago. Representatives called us to see how we were doing and followed through with everything that we applied for. They have discounts when you have other things insured with them, so that helps lessen the final cost of insurance. They work with you when you want to change your car insurance and give good information to help you stay safe.

I am satisfied with my insurance but am thinking about checking for a better rate. We have had the same insurance for over 20 years and had only a couple of claims. We will be adding new drivers in the near future so it is probably a good time to look into new insurance. The few times we contacted them we were pleased with our service.

I have never had any billing issues with them and their claims service is exceptional. When I have needed to file a claim, I've received prompt service and didn't have to fight to get contacted by an adjuster. I have nothing on the negative side. Their rates are good and their agents really care. Customer service has also been easy to deal with. I find no fault in their service.

I've had Erie auto insurance for at least the past 7-10 years(?). Luckily, I've not needed to use it for any claims. So I'm unable, really, to tell how good/bad they are if in accident. I find them a bit pricey, up until this year. I dont know why, but my premium went down somewhat. Perhaps it does if no accidents in years? I dont know.

I have been with Erie for over 20 years with home and auto. I no longer even look anywhere else. When other companies contact me I tell them I am with Erie and they usually say "Oh, we can't beat their price". If they do not say that right away, they say it when they call me back, if they call me back.

I love my auto insurance company. I have had two claims in the time I've had them and both were handled quickly and efficiently, with little involvement from me. Payment plan options are vast to accommodate whatever stage of life I'm in. Customer Service from my agent and my company is phenomenal, quick responses and work that goes above and beyond what I call about.

Erie provides the best rates I have ever had in the 20+ years I have had auto insurance. They also have local offices where agents know who you are. It's nice to be more than a number in this day and age. I have never had to submit a claim, so I am unable to really comment on that, but based on what I've experienced thus far and what I have heard from others, I would expect good things.

I had another company for decades, then I moved. Based on Erie's reputation, I'd considered it before, even though I was satisfied with what I had. So when I moved a year ago, I got Erie. It's been fine, I liked the local people, but haven't had any experience beyond setting it up last year and getting occasional mail from them.

We have been with Erie Insurance for over 35 years. When we had to file a claim it was handled quickly and efficiently. Our premium is well within the current companies. Last year we shopped around for other companies to see if we were getting a good price. None of the 5 companies could even come close to Erie Insurance. So needless to say we are still with Erie Insurance. And we plan to be with them for many years to come.

I filed a claim for a cracked windshield. The company processed the claim quickly and set up the appointment immediately on the phone for the repair to be done. Payment was quick and easy. Everyone involved in the process was very professional and knew exactly what needed to be done.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1925, Erie Auto Insurance has more than 90 years of experience customizing policies for the modern driver. They currently serve more than 4 million customers with policies in 12 states and the District of Columbia.

• Plus home and life: Erie Auto Insurance offers policies that include "plus home and life" insurance. This allows them to offer package deals and lower prices.
  • Individual and business: Customers can receive an auto insurance policy for the family or the business with Erie Auto Insurance. This company has policies specifically designed for either.
  • Insurance discounts: When working up a quote with an agent, be sure to ask about the dozen plus different discounts available, ranging from safe driver to reduced usage.
  • 12-month quote: The quote that Erie Auto Insurance provides is for a full year, not the six months often offered by other companies. The price on the year is often substantially lower than the competition once it is divided into monthly payments.
  • Complete coverage options: Erie Auto Insurance policies range from comprehensive to collision and have interesting add-ons available like property and medical coverage.
  • Best for Drivers looking for a discount, drivers who also own homes and new drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance