Erie Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Very favorable. The insurance agent was very helpful and gave me important information about my policy as long as I had it with his agency. He assisted me in getting affordable rates for the type of insurance that I needed. He also suggested other options such as flood insurance and this was greatly appreciated. Any auto claims were settled quickly but in a professional and fair manner. All the different types of coverages such as liability, collision, medical and comprehensive coverages were explained in a clear and concise manner. I also received accurate auto insurance quotes whenever I inquired.

They are always quick to attend to my needs and make me feel number 1. They never make you feel like a bother. They know their information in and out and will get the answer if they don't. I never have had to file a claim but have 100% confident that it would be handled above and beyond what we expect.

Erie Insurance has been my insurance company for 40 years and they have always gone out of their way to be helpful and informative. I have never had a rate increase due to a claim and I have had a few. Erie has even found ways to get more money when I have made a claim. Their agents are friendly, courteous and appear to care about their customers on a personal level. A+ company.

I am satisfied with Erie because they are always available in their office to discuss any concerns or to answer any questions I may have unlike GEICO and a few other online insurance companies I have dealt with in the past. Here in Maryland there aren't any offices that I am able to walk into in my area when it comes to GEICO or Progressive. The online insurance companies have the cheaper and lower rates, whereas, Erie's rates are very high but they are easier to talk to and always available.

They are always very personalized with their service. They are quick to get back to us if we call with any questions. Unlike large companies who you speak with a different person everything you call, I talk to the same two people every time I call! Love my insurance with Erie!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Very good. Cares about the customers and their needs. They have good rates and I'm able to get ahold of them in order to go over my policy and rates. I just got a neat year and they worked with me to get the lowest insurance payment possible while still maintaining good quality and price.

Erie is a good choice for auto insurance because their prices are the lowest anywhere around. They also have many ways to lower your premiums. They are excellent when you have to file a claim. They are fair and fast in their appraisal process. They also have accident forgiveness. The only problem I have with them is they are not very efficient at supplying important information from my agent.

Excellent rates with good discounts yet all of the coverage that I wanted. Very good experience when I made a claim last year... It was settled & paid out in less than 2 wks. I was even contacted by the insurance adjuster when he didn't trust what he saw at my mechanic's garage... and he was right! My mechanic was a thief! So appreciative of the heads up from an insider.

I have not had to use it other than towing, it does bother me that even though I have not had a claim my rates go up but they are still cheaper than others. I do like the fact that they know me, I know them, I can call them up if I have a question or problem and talk about how to reduce my rates or adjust my coverage.

We have had Erie insurance for a long time. They were very helpful when we were in a car accident about 12 years ago. Representatives called us to see how we were doing and followed through with everything that we applied for. They have discounts when you have other things insured with them, so that helps lessen the final cost of insurance. They work with you when you want to change your car insurance and give good information to help you stay safe.

I am satisfied with my insurance but am thinking about checking for a better rate. We have had the same insurance for over 20 years and had only a couple of claims. We will be adding new drivers in the near future so it is probably a good time to look into new insurance. The few times we contacted them we were pleased with our service.

I have never had any billing issues with them and their claims service is exceptional. When I have needed to file a claim, I've received prompt service and didn't have to fight to get contacted by an adjuster. I have nothing on the negative side. Their rates are good and their agents really care. Customer service has also been easy to deal with. I find no fault in their service.

I've had Erie auto insurance for at least the past 7-10 years(?). Luckily, I've not needed to use it for any claims. So I'm unable, really, to tell how good/bad they are if in accident. I find them a bit pricey, up until this year. I dont know why, but my premium went down somewhat. Perhaps it does if no accidents in years? I dont know.

I have been with Erie for over 20 years with home and auto. I no longer even look anywhere else. When other companies contact me I tell them I am with Erie and they usually say "Oh, we can't beat their price". If they do not say that right away, they say it when they call me back, if they call me back.

I love my auto insurance company. I have had two claims in the time I've had them and both were handled quickly and efficiently, with little involvement from me. Payment plan options are vast to accommodate whatever stage of life I'm in. Customer Service from my agent and my company is phenomenal, quick responses and work that goes above and beyond what I call about.

Erie provides the best rates I have ever had in the 20+ years I have had auto insurance. They also have local offices where agents know who you are. It's nice to be more than a number in this day and age. I have never had to submit a claim, so I am unable to really comment on that, but based on what I've experienced thus far and what I have heard from others, I would expect good things.

I had another company for decades, then I moved. Based on Erie's reputation, I'd considered it before, even though I was satisfied with what I had. So when I moved a year ago, I got Erie. It's been fine, I liked the local people, but haven't had any experience beyond setting it up last year and getting occasional mail from them.

We have been with Erie Insurance for over 35 years. When we had to file a claim it was handled quickly and efficiently. Our premium is well within the current companies. Last year we shopped around for other companies to see if we were getting a good price. None of the 5 companies could even come close to Erie Insurance. So needless to say we are still with Erie Insurance. And we plan to be with them for many years to come.

I filed a claim for a cracked windshield. The company processed the claim quickly and set up the appointment immediately on the phone for the repair to be done. Payment was quick and easy. Everyone involved in the process was very professional and knew exactly what needed to be done.

They have great policies and very helpful. They have always been there to work with me when I need them. It is a great company who is very friendly and very helpful. When I had an accident they were very quick to help me out and get someone out to check my car.

I have been with Erie Insurance for a number of years. I have a great policy that is affordable to me. I have never had any problems with Erie Insurance. I have a local agent and that helps greatly.

They are very easy to do business. They also I think it is a great company. They offer competitive rates. They do not advertise as much as others which gives me great rates. They offer great serviceable and getting the policy was which, easy and hassle free with everything done electronically. I give them 5 thumbs up.

They have had the lowest rates since I've been with them and no problems. They have sent mailings to keep me up to date with the products they sell. The agents have been very cordial and answers any questions you may have quickly.

It's good and competitively priced. We just totaled our car and they gave us fair market value. They have supported us with customer forgiveness and price decreases. A good company to do business with.

Erie Insurance has premiums that are reasonable, the providers are polite and efficient. Claims are paid in a timely manner. The notices for premiums due are sent enough time before they are due that the cost can be planned for. All correspondence is easily to understand and all costs are explained well.

I have been with Erie for 30+ years in two different states. They are my insurance company. I have renters insurance and car insurance with the company. I have had other insurance companies both for auto and homeowners and had disagreements with their actions and/or policies.

I have an insurance agent in the local area that I consult or visit to pay my premium or ask any questions. They are friendly and make it easy for me to deal with any problems (which are very few). I also have other insurance policies with them. We needed an insurance policy recently for a new motorcycle my Husband bought. They checked around and found a policy with a different company for about 1/3 of the price that was first quoted. I also have life insurance through their company, but the agent is a few miles further away. He makes time to come to the main office so we don't have to drive so far.

Have shopped around and prices with Erie are the lowest for my car. I have auto and home insurance and I'm well pleased with this company. Had a homeowner's claim in 2013 and was completely satisfied with settlement.

I think that paying $200.00 per month is way too expensive for loyal and long-time customers. I am currently looking at other options. There needs to be options which are cheaper. For someone that has a long history of a clean driving record with no accidents, 200 a month is absolutely ridiculous.

I have been a customer of Erie for twenty five years. I also have home owners insurance with them. I have made two claims with Erie for autos I have had. They have never delayed payment and I can go to any, any auto body shop of my choosing. Last year when I received my renewal notice, I was a little surprised at the rate increase, around 18 percent. I requested a quote from State Farm for both policies. State Farm quoted the policies at around 20 percent higher than the new rates. This is the only reason I did not give five stars. Also they have a local office and can call from 9 to 5 and talk to a live person within two ringside of the phone. It is just nice to know the local agent whenever I have any questions, two agents over that 25 years I have done business with.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Founded in 1925, Erie Auto Insurance has more than 90 years of experience customizing policies for the modern driver. They currently serve more than 4 million customers with policies in 12 states and the District of Columbia.

• Plus home and life: Erie Auto Insurance offers policies that include "plus home and life" insurance. This allows them to offer package deals and lower prices.
  • Individual and business: Customers can receive an auto insurance policy for the family or the business with Erie Auto Insurance. This company has policies specifically designed for either.
  • Insurance discounts: When working up a quote with an agent, be sure to ask about the dozen plus different discounts available, ranging from safe driver to reduced usage.
  • 12-month quote: The quote that Erie Auto Insurance provides is for a full year, not the six months often offered by other companies. The price on the year is often substantially lower than the competition once it is divided into monthly payments.
  • Complete coverage options: Erie Auto Insurance policies range from comprehensive to collision and have interesting add-ons available like property and medical coverage.
  • Best for Drivers looking for a discount, drivers who also own homes and new drivers.

Compare Auto Insurance