Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Erie Auto Insurance
3.38/5

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance sells auto insurance as well as home and life insurance policies. The company is not an InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch can give you quotes for all 26 of their verified insurance partners in just 10 minutes. Call now to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Erie auto insurance offers car insurance with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company’s positive reviews appreciate the responsive customer service for safe drivers. Many customers have been with this regional company for decades.

PROS

• Multiple discounts available
  • Low cost compared to major brands
  • Offers 12-month premium quotes

CONS

• Some customers paid a cost that was different from their online quote
  • Low tolerance for risk after claims

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

154 Erie Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have to say I was very impressed with the way Erie handled our auto accident (car was totaled and the driver was hospitalized for a day). There were 3 adjusters involved, one who dealt with the vehicle, one who dealt with the medical bills and one that reimbursed the lost wages. All were easily accessible both via phone and email. When the medical ran out under the auto coverage, it went to our health insurer, who reached out to Erie to confirm that the medical was exhausted. Erie promptly reached out to confirm it was ok to release the documentation and upon getting our confirm, they did. The offer for a vehicle was fair, they didn’t try to nickel and dime us. All claims, unfortunately, ultimately require effort, but Erie was as easy to deal with as I had hoped for.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been happy with Erie insurance. I have auto, house, and umbrella coverage with them. They are very helpful with claims. My last claim was for road damage to my air conditioner. They took the initiative to contact the repair shop. They approved the claim and paid quickly.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Erie is a pretty good company. My local agent's place looks kind of shabby but we have our house and cars through them. The prices are great for the coverage, even on newer cars. Rates don't go up much year to year, only downside is that I often don't get ahold of someone right away but response time has never been more than an hour.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been with Erie for years, about 23. I like that I can do everything on their website online. They have several options on paying your bill so you can do it according to what you want. They give a discount if you have home or rental insurance with them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

They have always been kind and considerate to answer any questions or concerns I may have. The price is affordable and the coverage is great. I am able to read my coverage and understand it as it has no jargon in it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 23, 2019

I was involved in an accident with an Erie policyholder 6-19 and the driver of the other car was at fault of the accident. It been three weeks and I was told to call Erie to give a recorded statement. No luck on that task. I received a letter in the mail last three days ago with an agent contact information. Several messages, No luck either. I contacted my insurance company once again for help. Was told that Erie reps have not returned their calls either. As of 6-21-19 Erie still has not given any good feedback of the issue at hand.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Don't buy their insurance if you plan on ever being out of their coverage. Was in a state they didn't insure. Still going round and round after they totaled the car out. Can't get the rental they promised me. Can't even get them to send me the information for the claim. Only speedy thing of this was they got someone to look at my car in 2 business days. Didn't even allow me the option to buy back the car (which at this point I don't want). Between flood and hail damage the car is getting worse by the day as the water it was in is starting to destroy the electronics on the car.

Over the weekend I lost a head light to a melted socket, yesterday lost a turn signal to a melted socket. A 2 tone horn only has 1 tone and the blue tooth module is shot. Then a windshield that is horseshoed around and getting worse by the day. But promised a call on Thursday and today is Tuesday afternoon. And if I call and try to talk to anyone but my adjuster they are useless and tell me I need to speak with my adjuster.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Thankfully, we haven't had to submit many claims for auto accidents. However, when we did they were right on the spot. Everything was handled efficiently & courteously. Our agent is always available & a pleasure to deal with.

Original review: May 13, 2019

So we had a car break down and we went to rent a car meanwhile, My fiancé rented it under my insurance. She hit a deer a week later and Erie does not want to cover it because it was not a personal vehicle, because it was rented they won't cover it (after hitting a deer). So much for comprehensive damage. Erie = Schemers. Stay away!!!

Original review: April 30, 2019

My wife and I have had Erie insurance for decades, and my parents also had them for decades. We filed this one claim on our RV for water damage due to the seal on one of the tips outs leaking on the floor causing the wood in one area to rot, and they won't cover it. We were told it was due to the seal was old. The adjuster never even looked at the seal. The camper is a 2006 and has been very well maintained. Why would we have been paying for insurance that includes water damage if they come up with an excuse like this. Very poor insurance company. We dropped them immediately. So they lost over 1,800 dollars a year from us over one claim. We haven't had any claims in 10 years or more. Would not recommend this scam company to anyone. Woman in charge of claim was very rude and unprofessional.

Resolution response: April 5, 2019

Erie apparently switched my claims adjuster without acknowledgement. We haven't spoken directly to the new person, but the car dealer called and said they had. So, the did approve the additional work after much harrassing calls and emails from me.

Original review: April 4, 2019

So we had an accident 2 months ago and things started out well enough. The initial repairs were completed and paid for by the insurance company. However, there was still an issue with the safety system in the vehicle that was also damaged in the accident. My claims adjuster advised me by email to get the work done and he would have it reimbursed. Well after having a small part of the work done a bigger issue was found. It's been 4 weeks and Erie representatives do not respond to email or phone calls about whether they will cover the additional work or even reimburse for what they promised to cover.

My adjuster has 2 phone numbers and both go straight to VM every day. I don't know if he died or what, so we also tried his associate and again no response at all. We even got our insurance broker involved again and she couldn't even get them to respond. I've been with Erie for over 20 years and never had an issue until now... But then again I've never had an at fault accident and still haven't... This was my wife!

Original review: April 2, 2019

If you have more than one ticket or have an OVI, don't expect Erie to keep your coverage - and don't expect after nearly 4 years of having no issues for them to even CONSIDER writing a policy for you. Stuck up comes to mind. Discrimination also comes to mind. When you think of Erie, think of "holier than thou". Because as soon as you slip up and show your human side, you're done. They want to make money collecting premiums. They are not in the business of actually having to have insurance claims come up. They just want the money.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I was involved in an accident (03/19/19) with one of their customers. My car is a total loss. They told me they cannot provide me with a rental car until they talk to their customer and see the accident report. It was their customer's fault. This company is a poor excuse for an insurance company. My car was paid for and cannot afford another car payment, but I guess I have no other choice with this company! They are dragging their feet.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Hello friends, I would like to bring you the incident that happened to me by Erie Insurance. I tried auto quote online, if married put the information comes, But there is no space I can put that. Then I called the Erie Insurance near me and she asked all the information taking my 24 minutes and she said I have too many cars and many drivers at the same home. What the hell? I have four cars and four driver in the family, she is very rude and drop the phone on me. Never go with them, you will regret. Because few of my friends told me the same thing.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was involved in a total loss accident with an Erie customer. My vehicle was non drivable at the scene, and was towed to salvage. The claims representative from Erie was less than cooperative in assisting me with my car rental in order that I maintain work. If I had not rented the car, I would have been unable to get to and from work. Finally I gave in after 3 weeks of messages and paid the bill to the rental company, and have been told that the bill may not be paid in full. I am omitting the representative's name at this time.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I had a claim and left voicemail after voicemail. I finally got someone on the phone, and they told me to send an email. This went without response, as did the followup email. These people seem more than happy to take your money, but God help you if you have a claim.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

When adding my teen son to my policy who had just started driving, they quoted and sent me a reasonable contractual “add driver” quote which I was prepared to pay. Upon invoicing me they doubled the amount, making it retroactive to 6 months earlier when my son got his license even though he wasn’t yet driving and didn’t have a car. It was a large sum of money, but their customer service was AWFUL in helping me address the problem and I was escalated to the president’s office where I dealt with the rudest customer-facing person ever. Although I remained calm, he literally resorted to reading me the legalese from my policy which evidently gave them the right to charge me (rob me?) for coverage I hadn’t received whatsoever. I would never recommend Erie to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Having been a customer for 1 year, I decided to look at alternative sources for my car & renters insurance. I requested Erie not to auto draft and they agreed. Shortly thereafter they DID AUTO DRAFT and my account was short which resulted in two $29 charges from my Credit Union. The next day they again drafted resulting in two more $29 charges! Two days later (payday), I called and paid the bill and informed them I would soon be using another Company. They stated a refund check would be processed. They deducted four $25 charges from the refund check citing the two aforementioned drafts -- they used Corporate Policy for their actions. Repeated calls to the local agent and Corporate produced no results. Beware of doing business with this Company.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Don't use Erie Insurance unless you want your insurance history trashed for years to come! Erie refused to investigate 2 separate crashes we were involved in, and in one the other party even called to state that it was her fault! Didn't matter to Erie! Erie will ruin your life then drop you like a week old egg salad sandwich. Learn to train your employees in customer service (every person I talked to fought with or was combative with me). Give your money to a real business!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I am very outrage with the lack of service I received from the roadside assistance. I was initially told a tow truck would be to me within 45 minutes after the actual tow company called me. I waited well over an hour before I called to see how much longer. I was informed by the tow company that they were not coming and I needed to call back to whomever I spoke with first. I called Erie back and was ensured by Erie that they would have someone to me as early as 30 minutes.

Needless to say I would still be waiting if I had not received help from someone else. My 22 year old daughter was on the side of a busy highway by herself out of town. I still have not received a return call from Erie and no tow company ever came. I finally made it to my daughter and we sat there for at least 2-3 hours with no help for Erie or a tow company. I did not call back because I was so upset and just wanted to get my daughter and myself away from that busy highway. I am livid about this and this is poor customer service. I have never experience such disregard for safety and the well being of the customer. This is unexceptionable.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

When I initially signed up with Erie for an Auto policy the experience and customer service was fantastic! Low rates, easy process, and everyone was accessible. HOWEVER, I filed a claim and the adjuster I was provided was sloppy, unprofessional, and falsified information. When I contacted his supervisor I was told I needed to focus on the claim and pretty much not address the issues with the adjuster.

Then I contacted the supervisor's supervisor to complain about the level of professionalism and how over a week went by and my adjuster was not returning my emails or calls. He immediately dismissed my comments and jumped to conclusions about why I was requesting another adjuster the issues with the claim I filed, Never addressing the unacceptable behavior of his subordinates. It was not until after I told him the call was being recorded he actually started treating me like a customer with an issue. An issue that should have and could have been resolved weeks ago!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Steer very clear of this company. They are only, I mean 100% only, about making money for themselves! They care nothing about you, as they will not barely reply to you, especially when you are most vulnerable! They most definitely will not assist you in any way whatsoever after you signed on with them! Their representatives are ignorant and liars and talk over you. Last but definitely not least, they will take their sweet old time with your claim from day one, making you and your family suffer in the meantime!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have been a loyal Erie customer for the past 2 years with no record or points on my license. I was in an accident a month ago and my car was inspected and deemed as a total loss. It took 4 days for an inspector to look at my car when I was told it would be done in 1-2 days. Then they proceeded to tow my car to a salvage lot over 200 miles from my home only 1 day after without my knowledge or permission. The license plates were still on my vehicle and all of my belongings inside.

When I called my agent they acted confused about the situation. I was transferred to multiple Erie employees throughout the situation and they seemed to lack communication. They have really cheap rates but I feel that is only because they take advantage of young professionals who don’t have experience with dealing with insurance companies or claims. I was highly unsatisfied with my experience with my claim due to the fact that Erie refused to accept responsibility for my car being towed without my verbal or written permission. That’s basically stealing. Do not recommend for young adults unless you’re looking for just cheap car insurance.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was hit by an Erie insured truck driver and my car was totaled. The accident was the insured fault and he received a ticket at the crash site. Erie's claims adjuster has put off and put off so long that I had to claim the accident against my insurance and pay for my rental out of pocket. The adjuster will not work with my insurance company either. How can this Insurance Company get away with the way they treat people???

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Insurance buyers beware!!! Was told my 20 yr old daughter would be removed from policy per voicemail and my return call because Erie didn't like that she put down her address as her mother's. Really? She's an adult. She can stay where she wants. Said I would receive a cancellation notice, which I did, noting my daughter's removal from policy. Fast forward 2 months and I find out my whole auto insurance policy had been canceled! 6 vehicles canceled! Never a claim in my life and I'm 46! Now I have a lapse in insurance and my agent doubles my rates due to their incompetence! Take it from me, if you don't want headaches shop for insurance elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Cheap to start. Raised auto rate $110 first year, home $150. Called local agent. Could not get in to her head. The auto numbers - she said all Co's. raise auto for no good reason. l had no claims. Then she said the same thing on the home then got upset and said, "If you don't like it you should look for other insurance co." One hour later she called and said they made a mistake and were lowering my home 50 bucks if I stay with them. Beware. They will take advantage of you in all situation. "And if you don't like it you should find a better co."

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Horrible and Unprofessional in Maryland. The claims adjuster would call at inappropriate times to schedule an appointment. Then he wanted to come and appraise a vehicle in the dark. And then the adjuster was unprofessional did not do a thorough job at looking at the damage. Called Supervisor and he was just as nasty and unprofessional. My agent was great. Do you even give these people training with how to communicate with others.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I was in an accident in October 2018. With a police report verifying I was not at fault. It is now December 1, 2018. Nothing has been resolved. My local agent is unresponsive and unhelpful. I have a list of people she has pushed us off on. Still nothing has changed. This is shameful to an Insurance Company I pay premiums to. Which will be fully reimbursed and a profit made from the auto accident.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I've been a member of Erie insurance since I was in High School, Although I did not actually start paying the auto insurance bills till college when I got my own car. That was in 2005. That makes me a paying member for 13 years. This year, after the only major accident that was my fault in 13 years, and a freak accident where the frame gave out from under my rusted car, both within a six month period, the total bills being $20,000 they wrote me and said, "We won't cover you anymore." As if a rusty car is supposed to be my fault. By my estimation I have paid at least $10,000 in premiums during my time as a customer. That means they only paid out a net of $10,000.

Really Erie? Are you serious. Will never have a policy with this company ever again. If you are thinking about it, run. They only care about their company and their investors. God forbid if they have to pay out any amount of money for any reason. So I guess that auto commercial is true. "You find yourself in one major accident, and your insurance company drops you."

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

They are always nice when I call. They take their time with you. They make sure they understand what you want. Even if you have a hard time with the VIN numbers they are very patient with you. They are the best.

Erie Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1925, Erie Auto Insurance has more than 90 years of experience customizing policies for the modern driver. They currently serve more than 4 million customers with policies in 12 states and the District of Columbia.

• Plus home and life: Erie Auto Insurance offers policies that include "plus home and life" insurance. This allows them to offer package deals and lower prices.

• Individual and business: Customers can receive an auto insurance policy for the family or the business with Erie Auto Insurance. This company has policies specifically designed for either.

• Insurance discounts: When working up a quote with an agent, be sure to ask about the dozen plus different discounts available, ranging from safe driver to reduced usage.

• 12-month quote: The quote that Erie Auto Insurance provides is for a full year, not the six months often offered by other companies. The price on the year is often substantially lower than the competition once it is divided into monthly payments.

• Complete coverage options: Erie Auto Insurance policies range from comprehensive to collision and have interesting add-ons available like property and medical coverage.

• Best for: Drivers looking for a discount, drivers who also own homes and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky