2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5

Erie Insurance offers affordable auto protection policies with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company is available in 12 states, as well as in Washington, D.C. It provides some discounts for multicar policies and safe driving, as well as 12-month premium options.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Erie Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have had Erie insurance auto insurance for many years, and it is combined with my homeowners insurance for a discount. They have a great customer service team at my local office. There was one agent assigned to me, and I always dealt with him. He has retired, and another agent is now assigned to me. Whenever I need something, or have a question, I call her and everything is resolved or answered during that phone call.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I had been insured by Geico for many, many years. For some reason I decided to get a quote from Erie and found the premium to be a lot lower. I switched to Erie several years ago and have been extremely pleased with their service. My car was stolen about 1.5 years ago and Erie was very efficient and generous in dealing with this claim. My car was never recovered and so I was given $12,500 for my stolen car. I believed I'd get about $8000 for it so the amount I was given was a great relief. It's always terribly inconvenient and painful to have a car stolen but Erie made the experience as good as could be. My agent is very responsive.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Great products, great service, excellent rates. Better than Amica, easy payment schedule and always able to talk to a rep. So far haven't had any problems or complaints. Always have my ID card sent to me each time my renewal comes up and always on time.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been very satisfied with Erie Insurance. I was with GEICO before and was paying way too much for my home and auto coverage. Erie saved me about 20 percent from the start and I check them each year to make sure they are in line. I have had one claim and it was handled perfectly. Five Stars ****

Original review: July 24, 2020

The Customer Service is provided by the local agent. That will make or break someone's opinion. I personally don't care for online only insurance services. The price we get is very good. We are older drivers but have been with Erie while our children (now adults) were covered under our policy. After hours service is available.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

It’s amazing that this company is still in business with this many negative reviews. As it’s already been mentioned in previous reviews, very unprofessional service. I was hit by a lady on Christmas Eve who has Erie Insurance. It is now two weeks after the incident and I’ve been paying out of pocket this entire time for a rental vehicle and my car has yet to move to a body shop. The claim manager has yet to contact me and every time I call they tell me that she will be in touch with me soon. I finally was able to speak with a supervisor today who informed me that the accident in under “further investigation” and that they may not even take liability for my claim, even though she admitted and was clearly 100% at fault.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Been with Erie for awhile now. They are cheaper than most. The adjuster that came out both times I was rear ended was great! Problem is, we had a guy rear end us at the end of May, we hired a lawyer since we like most, don't trust insurance companies. We are STILL waiting at time this review, to get a settlement. There is no reason someone needs to wait this long for a settlement that is not their fault. It all went smooth until they was told that a lawyer was hired.

Original review: July 23, 2020

My agent is always available for me and answers any questions I have. I bundled my house and car with him. Service is outstanding. I’ll never change. My family had been with Erie for years also. A local agent.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I have been with them since 2013. I was paying 963 for 4 cars. Moved out to the County and 833. This month I had to move back to Original address 1204.00 with no explanation why. No changes but zip code.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Was rear ended Nov.30, 2019 by one of Erie's insured. It is now May 11th. I have faxed and called so many times with no results. It has been almost 6 months since my accident with them not resolving it, I have hospital, ambulance and Dr. bills which have not been paid because they refuse to handle the situation. It is a fairly small settlement, I am 65 years old with no means of covering them, If they pay without, me getting a lawyer, just remember that they are slow or no pay. I am very frustrated.

Erie Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This auto insurance company writes policies in 12 states and Washington, D.C. The company also offers homeowners insurance. Bundling this with auto insurance means lower premiums on both. The company’s Auto Plus package includes benefits like rental car coverage, vanishing deductibles and death benefits.

• Coverage and plans: Erie offers basic coverage for medical payments and personal injury protection, liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured and underinsured motorists. Additional coverage exists for windshield repair, personal property and pet injury.

• Cost: A 20-year-old, regardless of gender, can expect to pay about $230 a month for auto insurance from Erie.

• Discounts: Erie has discounts for safe drivers, good students, safety equipment, upfront payment, low usage, bundling and multivehicle policies.

• Standout feature: Erie’s accident forgiveness policy means, after three years of safe driving, one accident won’t increase your premiums.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor