Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Erie Auto Insurance
3.65/5

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance sells auto insurance as well as home and life insurance policies. The company is not an InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch can give you quotes for all 26 of their verified insurance partners in just 10 minutes. Call now to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Erie auto insurance offers car insurance with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company’s positive reviews appreciate the responsive customer service for safe drivers. Many customers have been with this regional company for decades.

PROS

• Multiple discounts available
  • Low cost compared to major brands
  • Offers 12-month premium quotes

CONS

• Some customers paid a cost that was different from their online quote
  • Low tolerance for risk after claims

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

134 Erie Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Insurance buyers beware!!! Was told my 20 yr old daughter would be removed from policy per voicemail and my return call because Erie didn't like that she put down her address as her mother's. Really? She's an adult. She can stay where she wants. Said I would receive a cancellation notice, which I did, noting my daughter's removal from policy. Fast forward 2 months and I find out my whole auto insurance policy had been canceled! 6 vehicles canceled! Never a claim in my life and I'm 46! Now I have a lapse in insurance and my agent doubles my rates due to their incompetence! Take it from me, if you don't want headaches shop for insurance elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Cheap to start. Raised auto rate $110 first year, home $150. Called local agent. Could not get in to her head. The auto numbers - she said all Co's. raise auto for no good reason. l had no claims. Then she said the same thing on the home then got upset and said, "If you don't like it you should look for other insurance co." One hour later she called and said they made a mistake and were lowering my home 50 bucks if I stay with them. Beware. They will take advantage of you in all situation. "And if you don't like it you should find a better co."

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Horrible and Unprofessional in Maryland. The claims adjuster would call at inappropriate times to schedule an appointment. Then he wanted to come and appraise a vehicle in the dark. And then the adjuster was unprofessional did not do a thorough job at looking at the damage. Called Supervisor and he was just as nasty and unprofessional. My agent was great. Do you even give these people training with how to communicate with others.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I was in an accident in October 2018. With a police report verifying I was not at fault. It is now December 1, 2018. Nothing has been resolved. My local agent is unresponsive and unhelpful. I have a list of people she has pushed us off on. Still nothing has changed. This is shameful to an Insurance Company I pay premiums to. Which will be fully reimbursed and a profit made from the auto accident.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I've been a member of Erie insurance since I was in High School, Although I did not actually start paying the auto insurance bills till college when I got my own car. That was in 2005. That makes me a paying member for 13 years. This year, after the only major accident that was my fault in 13 years, and a freak accident where the frame gave out from under my rusted car, both within a six month period, the total bills being $20,000 they wrote me and said, "We won't cover you anymore." As if a rusty car is supposed to be my fault. By my estimation I have paid at least $10,000 in premiums during my time as a customer. That means they only paid out a net of $10,000.

Really Erie? Are you serious. Will never have a policy with this company ever again. If you are thinking about it, run. They only care about their company and their investors. God forbid if they have to pay out any amount of money for any reason. So I guess that auto commercial is true. "You find yourself in one major accident, and your insurance company drops you."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been happy with Erie insurance. I have auto, house, and umbrella coverage with them. They are very helpful with claims. My last claim was for road damage to my air conditioner. They took the initiative to contact the repair shop. They approved the claim and paid quickly.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Erie is a pretty good company. My local agent's place looks kind of shabby but we have our house and cars through them. The prices are great for the coverage, even on newer cars. Rates don't go up much year to year, only downside is that I often don't get ahold of someone right away but response time has never been more than an hour.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

They are always nice when I call. They take their time with you. They make sure they understand what you want. Even if you have a hard time with the VIN numbers they are very patient with you. They are the best.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been with Erie for years, about 23. I like that I can do everything on their website online. They have several options on paying your bill so you can do it according to what you want. They give a discount if you have home or rental insurance with them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

They have always been kind and considerate to answer any questions or concerns I may have. The price is affordable and the coverage is great. I am able to read my coverage and understand it as it has no jargon in it!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

You’re better off calling a local tow/repair shop to help you. You call the number, fill out information online, and then still receive a call asking you all the same information. I told the person on the phone EXACTLY what I needed, and she still kept asking irrelevant questions. Erie Insurance sure knows how to frustrate their customers and keep their money!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Most people I talk to don't like them, and for good reason. Erie is fine until the moment you need them. I've been a customer for almost 10 years, and my wife got in an "accident" which resulted in zero damage for either vehicle (She rear-ended someone at 1 MPH), and they dropped us both immediately. I called them to discuss it - they were rude, didn't answer my questions, and I was simply told: "Nothing will change our mind, sir."

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I'm highly pissed. They take consumers' hard earned money only to in the event of an accident leave them high and dry. A horrible company. My car was stolen and torched and till this day they leave me my wife and kids carless. Their only main concern is my wife who wasn't driving the car and her last record of driving being in 2012... where does that come from? Not the fact a family who pays their insurance on time every month and with that being said my on time payment is probably someone's paycheck and they make us suffer for almost a month now trying to turn tables and say us the suffering victims are the criminals profiling and stereotyping and only choose to talk to people who can't properly articulate so they can they ease their way out compensating paying customers.

If you know your way around reading an insurance policy they simply hang up and avoid you. Such scam artists. For all I know I think was Erie Insurance that stole my car since they are being so difficult in wanting to pay for it and being completely unprofessional. In a business the customer is the boss being as though they pay you and with no customers you have no business. I wonder how many other young first insurance policyholders they took advantage of or the older ones that are too old to understand any of the fine print completely. Horrible in my judgment.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been with Erie for less than two years and never had a problem until just recently when I had to file a claim. I have full coverage on my 2015 BMW 328i and it was set up through a insurance agency because they don't set up policies directly (red flag). 7/20 I filed a claim. I learned that I do not have rental and I have a diminishing deductible. Ok, so I pay for my own rental and after talking to Erie they said a adjuster will call me within forty eight hours. 7/23 I am contacted by a Erie adjusters who inform me that they would send a third party appraiser to approve the repairs within forty eight hours (red flag). 7/24 I am contacted by the dealership saying the appraiser was there and I would be hearing from Erie.

7/25 I was contacted by Brian and he tells me that there was a issue and the dealership would not put the car on a rack so they only approved the tires and the rims until the appraiser could look at the rest of the damage but the parts have been ordered and it won't delay anything. So I call the dealership and they insisted that the person who came never even asked for the car to be put on a rack because that definitely could have happened. I asked if they gave him the entire estimate and they said yes.

So I called Brian back and asked who told him all of the things he said and he began to back peddle and when I informed him that the dealership told me that they never asked for the car to be put on a rack and that they won't order the parts without approval of the repairs he said he would get them to go back today to correct it. Then about a half hour later I get a call from the dealership instead and they tell me that they will replace any parts they can with aftermarket parts and by doing that they can't warranty them with the warranty I got with the car.

I then call the direct number for Erie and ask to speak to someone about my claim. I was transferred three times and was told three time "let me get you someone who can help you with that." On the fourth person I got finally transfers me to a supervisor and he tells me that it is in my policy that they can replace any parts with aftermarket parts if they are available. I explained that BMW won't warranty any aftermarket parts and will void the warranty that I got with the car. He said "you should read your policy better." (WOW!) Then I said well since you used a third party appraiser and now my repair time is delayed. What about a rental. He said "there will be no rental, it's not in your policy" even if it's their fault for the delay? DOUBLE WOW!!

So I call the agent who informs me that they don't offer OEM replacement even if I wanted to add it to my policy. So in the end I am paying out of pocket for a rental while they send a third party appraiser who screwed up and the difference between the OEM and aftermarket parts so my warranty is not affected. After the repairs are done I will be looking for a new insurance company and taking the policy to a lawyer to find any loopholes so I know I am not dealing with a scumbag company like Erie Auto Insurance.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Did a quote online. Waited three days no call from an agent. When I contacted Erie Insurance company in Baltimore MD on Rt. 40 something did seem right. The agent stated she didn't need my quote number. (Red Flag). Instead needed personal information. Hours later on behalf of the agent someone else called with a $3000 6 month policy plan. With a good driver record not willing to be ripped off by this company. What's the need for a quote if you're not going to look at what the customer needs. Buyer beware! Don't buy insurance from this company.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Have had Erie for 29 years home and auto. Have had claims on both and no problems. One of the best insurance companies. They don't have to advertise on saving you money. They are worth it.

Original review: July 20, 2018

They are cheap. However, if you get a scratch on your car and file a claim you will either get a love letter from an underwriter saying you are more of a risk than their typical customer or have your insurance canceled. I found out when I moved to another state that they would not insure me unless my husband and I had a policy together, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise since my agent found out and shared with me after talking to an underwriter that after being with them for 14 years they were not going to renew my policy for the next year.

Had some trouble with adjuster Darren ** in their Columbus office, who was very rude and acted put-out over a simple request to reopen a claim they had closed out. I received a call over the complaint I sent to the corporate office. It was referred to the head of the Columbus office. It didn’t appear during the phone call that the complaint was taken seriously. He essentially blew it off.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Insurance companies have a reputation of being tough when claims are submitted to them but Erie did not treat me that way. They met my expectations.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Experience with Erie is extremely satisfying. With only a vehicle identification number, Erie agent asks questions to decide which & how much coverage is needed. I am now on my 3rd auto using Erie. Get wonderful friendly support from local office and have many discounts due to longevity of policy. It is less expensive than many other companies available to me. I also have an option of paying my premium yearly, bi-yearly, quarterly or monthly. But the broker's office is located in a 2nd-floor condo with no elevator access. As I am handicapped and can't negotiate stairs, their 2nd-floor location causes difficulty. But the agent brings what I need to my car & we conduct business there.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My experience with Erie was extremely pleasant and simple overall, and customer service even assisted in getting my rates lowered while still offering the same coverage. Erie had a very simple application process, and responsive customer service. The company is reasonable and easy to deal with. Low and overall reasonable premiums, and the company has a reputation of paying out when they need to. Generally speaking, the company is on the up and up. But maybe the price of coverage could be lower.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We were hit in the rear by a person who had no insurance. We had to pay a "noninsured motorist deductible" to get our car fixed. Erie assured us they would pursue and recover our money. They sent a couple of letters to the address of the person that owned the car, but, shock of all shocks, this person never responded. The person driving the car did not own the car. It was owned by his girlfriend's dad, who did not have insurance. I'm not sure who Erie was sending letters to. The driver? The Girlfriend? Her dad? Anyway, nobody responded to the letters. We just, today, received a letter saying Erie had done all that they could and the 2 year statute of limitations, which we didn't even know there was a statute of limitations, is almost up.

We were told after the accident that Erie would pursue this incident until they got our money back, or the person's drivers license would be taken away. As far as we can tell, Erie did absolutely nothing. We have multiple policies thru Erie and we never miss a payment. What good is it for us to have insurance if we have to pay for our own accidents? There is an ever increasing number of uninsured motorists on the road every year and I see why. You don't have any consequences, if you are in an accident. Plus you don't have to pay exorbitant payments to an insurance company every month for fake protection. I think we are about to become one of these uninsured motorists, since that seems to be the way to go.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I had Met Life insurance from ages 16 till 22. At 22 I went with State Farm. They gave me the best deal for the joint coverage my husband and I needed. Instead of the price going down it raised every year with no accidents. So at 33 I had a son driving that had raised our insurance even more. So I got quotes from 5 different insurance companies and Erie insurance offers me the best price and coverage for my needs. Even Geico and Progressive or The General couldn't insure us any lower. So I went with them and am still covered through them. I was saving almost $600.00 a year compared to my plan through State Farm and it was almost the same amount of coverage. I liked the plan and I love my agency, my insurance agents and the company as a whole. I can contact someone 24/7. I feel really comfortable with my policy and my price. The only thing better would be free.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Very pleased... my premium could be less but I’m happy where I’m at and I have never had an issue with Erie or my local agent.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We had Amica before we purchased Erie. Amica was terrible, because of an internal problem, Amica allowed our cancelled auto policy go all the way to the NCDMV and what a nightmare that was. Erie Customer service was there to help us out of the problem. Erie was able to cover all of our autos and our motorcycle. We saved over 400.00 by switching to Erie. Our Rep is a jewel, she was there for us when we needed her, answering every question. Erie went above and beyond.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Erie Auto Insurance was very easy to deal with. I had this insurance many years ago and felt I was paying too high for a premium for the insurance I had. They reduced my premium by $500.00 a year for the same coverage.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Erie Auto Insurance has been my insurer for Home and auto for over 15 years and they have had great rates and always treat me like I am a person and not just a number. Every year or two, I request quotes from the other top companies and their premiums are always 3 times higher than Erie. They don’t insure high risk people, so I don’t have to make up for those people in my premiums. I have a personal agent that works in my state and is familiar with my policies. I like being able to reach someone I know. They have always taken care of me and I had the rest of my family sign up with them too, and they have all been very happy.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My daughter slid on black ice and ran off the road. She needed minor work under the front bumper and a new bumper. Erie was great, we had no problems and they got back to us immediately. They have been great so far. I would recommend them to anyone and have done so.

Original review: May 16, 2018

For some 35 years as a driver I have had a couple of accidents and a handful of claims, never had an issue. It was just a phone call, and I had my claims person on the line, asked me a couple questions and my rental car arrived at my house an hour later. My truck was towed to dealer for repairs due to a collision. I've also had my children when they were driving age put onto my policy until they were old enough to get there. I also use Erie for my homeowners insurance and get a discount for the bundle package. I've had the same agent for some 15 years and always a first name basis with you, "How is your family?" "How are things?" Very personable. The price I pay for my coverage is a good deal for my age and the vehicle I drive.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This is a Company that started small and has grown tremendously. I have been with the company for over 50 years and I have never thought about leaving them as I feel my care is their priority. My claim was handled quickly and my vehicle was taken care of. I also have my homeowners with them and filed a claim for water damage. They have great customer service and fair pricing for services.

Original review: May 13, 2018

When our car was stolen Erie Auto Insurance was unbelievably fast in responding to problems and helpful replacing it. They were fair and accommodating. We've used them for over 30 years and have never been disappointed. Excellent customer service! I always recommend them!

Erie Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1925, Erie Auto Insurance has more than 90 years of experience customizing policies for the modern driver. They currently serve more than 4 million customers with policies in 12 states and the District of Columbia.

• Plus home and life: Erie Auto Insurance offers policies that include "plus home and life" insurance. This allows them to offer package deals and lower prices.

• Individual and business: Customers can receive an auto insurance policy for the family or the business with Erie Auto Insurance. This company has policies specifically designed for either.

• Insurance discounts: When working up a quote with an agent, be sure to ask about the dozen plus different discounts available, ranging from safe driver to reduced usage.

• 12-month quote: The quote that Erie Auto Insurance provides is for a full year, not the six months often offered by other companies. The price on the year is often substantially lower than the competition once it is divided into monthly payments.

• Complete coverage options: Erie Auto Insurance policies range from comprehensive to collision and have interesting add-ons available like property and medical coverage.

• Best for: Drivers looking for a discount, drivers who also own homes and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky