Call toll free*
Call toll free
3.82/5
Based on 115 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance sells auto insurance as well as home and life insurance policies. The company is not an InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch can give you quotes for all 26 of their verified insurance partners in just 10 minutes. Call now to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

116 Erie Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 1, 2018

Experience with Erie is extremely satisfying. With only a vehicle identification number, Erie agent asks questions to decide which & how much coverage is needed. I am now on my 3rd auto using Erie. Get wonderful friendly support from local office and have many discounts due to longevity of policy. It is less expensive than many other companies available to me. I also have an option of paying my premium yearly, bi-yearly, quarterly or monthly. But the broker's office is located in a 2nd-floor condo with no elevator access. As I am handicapped and can't negotiate stairs, their 2nd-floor location causes difficulty. But the agent brings what I need to my car & we conduct business there.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My experience with Erie was extremely pleasant and simple overall, and customer service even assisted in getting my rates lowered while still offering the same coverage. Erie had a very simple application process, and responsive customer service. The company is reasonable and easy to deal with. Low and overall reasonable premiums, and the company has a reputation of paying out when they need to. Generally speaking, the company is on the up and up. But maybe the price of coverage could be lower.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We were hit in the rear by a person who had no insurance. We had to pay a "noninsured motorist deductible" to get our car fixed. Erie assured us they would pursue and recover our money. They sent a couple of letters to the address of the person that owned the car, but, shock of all shocks, this person never responded. The person driving the car did not own the car. It was owned by his girlfriend's dad, who did not have insurance. I'm not sure who Erie was sending letters to. The driver? The Girlfriend? Her dad? Anyway, nobody responded to the letters. We just, today, received a letter saying Erie had done all that they could and the 2 year statute of limitations, which we didn't even know there was a statute of limitations, is almost up.

We were told after the accident that Erie would pursue this incident until they got our money back, or the person's drivers license would be taken away. As far as we can tell, Erie did absolutely nothing. We have multiple policies thru Erie and we never miss a payment. What good is it for us to have insurance if we have to pay for our own accidents? There is an ever increasing number of uninsured motorists on the road every year and I see why. You don't have any consequences, if you are in an accident. Plus you don't have to pay exorbitant payments to an insurance company every month for fake protection. I think we are about to become one of these uninsured motorists, since that seems to be the way to go.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I had Met Life insurance from ages 16 till 22. At 22 I went with State Farm. They gave me the best deal for the joint coverage my husband and I needed. Instead of the price going down it raised every year with no accidents. So at 33 I had a son driving that had raised our insurance even more. So I got quotes from 5 different insurance companies and Erie insurance offers me the best price and coverage for my needs. Even Geico and Progressive or The General couldn't insure us any lower. So I went with them and am still covered through them. I was saving almost $600.00 a year compared to my plan through State Farm and it was almost the same amount of coverage. I liked the plan and I love my agency, my insurance agents and the company as a whole. I can contact someone 24/7. I feel really comfortable with my policy and my price. The only thing better would be free.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Very pleased... my premium could be less but I’m happy where I’m at and I have never had an issue with Erie or my local agent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 24, 2018

We had Amica before we purchased Erie. Amica was terrible, because of an internal problem, Amica allowed our cancelled auto policy go all the way to the NCDMV and what a nightmare that was. Erie Customer service was there to help us out of the problem. Erie was able to cover all of our autos and our motorcycle. We saved over 400.00 by switching to Erie. Our Rep is a jewel, she was there for us when we needed her, answering every question. Erie went above and beyond.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Erie Auto Insurance was very easy to deal with. I had this insurance many years ago and felt I was paying too high for a premium for the insurance I had. They reduced my premium by $500.00 a year for the same coverage.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Erie Auto Insurance has been my insurer for Home and auto for over 15 years and they have had great rates and always treat me like I am a person and not just a number. Every year or two, I request quotes from the other top companies and their premiums are always 3 times higher than Erie. They don’t insure high risk people, so I don’t have to make up for those people in my premiums. I have a personal agent that works in my state and is familiar with my policies. I like being able to reach someone I know. They have always taken care of me and I had the rest of my family sign up with them too, and they have all been very happy.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My daughter slid on black ice and ran off the road. She needed minor work under the front bumper and a new bumper. Erie was great, we had no problems and they got back to us immediately. They have been great so far. I would recommend them to anyone and have done so.

Original review: May 16, 2018

For some 35 years as a driver I have had a couple of accidents and a handful of claims, never had an issue. It was just a phone call, and I had my claims person on the line, asked me a couple questions and my rental car arrived at my house an hour later. My truck was towed to dealer for repairs due to a collision. I've also had my children when they were driving age put onto my policy until they were old enough to get there. I also use Erie for my homeowners insurance and get a discount for the bundle package. I've had the same agent for some 15 years and always a first name basis with you, "How is your family?" "How are things?" Very personable. The price I pay for my coverage is a good deal for my age and the vehicle I drive.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This is a Company that started small and has grown tremendously. I have been with the company for over 50 years and I have never thought about leaving them as I feel my care is their priority. My claim was handled quickly and my vehicle was taken care of. I also have my homeowners with them and filed a claim for water damage. They have great customer service and fair pricing for services.

Original review: May 13, 2018

When our car was stolen Erie Auto Insurance was unbelievably fast in responding to problems and helpful replacing it. They were fair and accommodating. We've used them for over 30 years and have never been disappointed. Excellent customer service! I always recommend them!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been with Erie Insurance for over 30 years, they have always been the best insurance company. I never had to worry about being dropped and their rates are excellent. I recently shopped around to see if I could find a better price for my 3 cars and house combined. Not one competitor could come even close to the premiums I pay. I have had several claims over the years and my agent/office is always there to help. After someone ran into my car, I called my agent who told me to get a couple of estimates. I did and was able to take my car to my choice of auto body shop. They did a good job and I was very satisfied.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Erie has always valued their policyholders and takes the time to listen. I have been a policyholder with Erie for 43 years and they have always been responsive to my needs. I called in claim to my Erie agent, explained the claim, next day, adjuster was out, simple as can be and never a problem.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I had my oil changed at one of the local OLF businesses in Erie recently and they did not properly tighten the plug in my pan. Needless to say this caused all kinds of inconvenience for us until my own insurance company (GEICO) took care of us. However, we were still left paying the deductible which really sucks since this situation was due to some else's incompetence. Now Erie Insurance is dragging their feet and doing everything they can to get out of a very cut and dry case. I am now stuck paying the $500 deductible out of my pocket due to someone else's negligence and their crooked insurance company not owning up to their mistake.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Got a quote online for $185.58 and asked to call the local agent to sign up, when I called I was asked to pay $255 that is more than 40%. So I called the customer service and informed them I provide all the information correctly and accurate when I applied online, was told no one forcing me to get Erie insurance, totally unprofessional and misleading the customer, you have to be honest and transparent.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I had switched to Erie Insurance before I had children. Now I have 3 sons ages 21, 18, and 16. Every time I added a son to my policy, my insurance skyrocketed with only the explanation of the new MALE child being added. Unlike other insurances, Erie offers no programs for a youthful discount! Nothing to help ease the burden off the insurer! So I ended up lowering my insurance and raising my premiums to be able to afford insuring them. Of course, they had to have vehicles so we bought them what we could afford to pay cash for. We own 6 vehicles with mileage ranging from 97,000 to 292,000. But we own them all! Well, when we bought the '09 Kia Sportage it had 126,000 miles on it and I wanted to list it as my pleasure vehicle. However, we did purchase it for my younger son and my agents said I had to tell them which person predominantly drove which vehicle because it was only fair!

West Virginia, the state I reside in, has a law which I believe is called WV's Municipal Use of Vehicles Law which states that it doesn't matter who drives what vehicle, every licensed driver in that family would be covered on any vehicle. They admitted the truth of that! However, other insurances will allow you to choose which person you want on which vehicle because that law insists they're covered!

My Appalachian Insurance Agency refused to allow me to do that! When I tried they said that was unfair because it would have lowered my policy from $4700 a year to just over $4000. I contend... That was enough! But, being a believer in God's holy word, I wouldn't make those changes unless I was allowed to do so. I would not lie! Other insurances, as I found, quote you the lowest premiums based on that law anyways! So after 20 plus years being insured with Erie I left! I think they could have and should have done better by my husband and I than that! They simply didn't care to have our business!!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

My car was hit in a parking lot by a customer of Erie Insurance. Claim filed. No call to me in eight days. I've contacted the customer's agent and Eire directly. No return calls. When I complained to the Erie operator, he read the claim where the adjuster had entered the had called and let voicemails and that I was the one not returning calls. Total lies. Avoid this company. They are dishonest.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have Erie insurance and they are awful. I got into an accident and it was the other persons fault. I didn’t call the cops on scene but later within 24 hrs had a cop come look at my car and the other persons car. It was proved to be her fault but for some reason, unknown to me, she didn’t have insurance or something and my insurance has to pay. I got into a second accident a few months later and they raised my rates by $800 dollars a month! The first accident wasn’t my fault and was found it wasn’t my fault by the cops.

The second accident was supposed to be my accident forgiveness. Well I guess that’s non-existent. Erie counts things they shouldn’t count and I had to pay a deductible for the first accident. The second accident we probably would have had to pay but I didn’t get the car fixed. Don’t wanna know how high the rates would have been had I gotten the car fixed. Now I’m switching insurance because I can’t pay that much. That was on my parents policy as well. With another insurance on my own policy it’s lower than mine was to start! Erie is way overpriced and makes you pay a deductible every time.

Original review: March 7, 2018

June 7, 2017 a huge dump truck hit and totaled my car. The agent, Josh, was very professional and very prompt, and was very accurate in his response to compensate for my car. Next came Mr. **, the personal injury agent. From day one, Mr. ** was nice, but somewhat unreliable. Having been recently diagnosed with Stage IV Breast Cancer, I was just anxious to get everything about the incident behind me. Mr. ** told me the settlement amount would be $2000, he would send me some papers to sign, I could pick up the check in 3-4 days, or he could mail it, I agreed to pick it up.

I had lots of tests and doctor appointments so it was about a week when I called to see if I could come pick up the check. That’s when Mr. ** starting talking about Medicare and that I would get the check in about 30 days. Okay, no problem. In 30 days or so I called, Mr. ** told me Medicare takes about 90 days, he had done everything he is supposed to do, if I want anything more done I can do it myself. After a few more weeks I called for updates, Mr ** informed me of no new news, and that up to $800 would be deducted from the $2000. This whole ordeal is a nightmare, and I’m telling everyone who will listen about Erie Insurance, not that it’ll do any good.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I had to change Erie Insurance just because my agent refused to provide information about extra fees. He yelled: "Do not call here again." and hang up on me. So, in a half-hour I found other insurance, plus I paid less.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had Erie insurance for a period 2.5 years. I chose Erie because my personal auto insurance company, USAA, does not offer commercial coverage. I was in good standing for a period of 2.4 years. I unknowingly missed a payment in December and they terminated service. No phone call, no no email, nothing. I was notified from the NYS DMV that my insurance policy was terminated and I had to surrender my plates.

Apparently, a collections notice was sent out. A lawyer/third party started robocalling my mother, who never was on the policy. Absolutely horrid service if you ask me. USAA, which handles all my other insurance policies, including auto and home, is absolutely wonderful. In the event that a payment is due, they send me a polite email reminder, and if I ever miss a payment (rare) I receive a polite email or phone call within 24 hours. The damage done by Erie hurt my business greatly, especially during a time of year when winter work is extremely precious. I will never recommend Erie to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I went with Erie because they had lower rates then my insurer at the time. I chose the $1000 dollar deductible for an even lower rate as I had a pretty clean driving record without any claims during my 16 years of driving. Once I had an accident they dropped me like a bad habit. They cited the costs of the repairs and that I was at fault as reasons for dropping me. They were not interested in investigating the accident further on my behalf as there was other factors to consider such as a faulty traffic light.

The representative's name was Justine and she was very unpleasant and clearly was not interested in following up with the information that I was given to her. She even told me that I should of taken a different route that day. My experience with Erie was great when I bought their insurance, but when I had claim they treated me like a number and not a person. This was all about numbers. Their slogan should be "We're great if you perfect!" I recommend paying more for an insurance that has your back and best interest.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Had them for a long time with no trouble as long as you didn't have any claims... 2 deer ran into the side of me last year and another Erie customer "T" boned me, for being a great customer for years they raise my premium this year. Now I'm giving my money to a different insurer.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Erie insurance provides great premiums for good "coverage". However, the minute you're in trouble they screw you. It has happened over and over again. They have fooled my family and I twice now. Trust me. Pay a few more dollars to go with someone else. My car was in a hit and run, and hit in two places. They tried to tell me that it was two claims because it was hit in two places. Even though it was the same incident and seconds apart. Laughable, all they were trying to do is get me to pay two deductibles. Anything for them to save money. The damage was not even that extensive, and they are trying to get me to pay double the deductible.

I pay 4000 dollars a year in car insurance, and they are going all this way to save 250 bucks. It is hilarious because some of the lower level people at Erie were even shocked about this. They couldn't believe what the adjuster and his manager were trying to pull off. They had no choice, but to go along with it. What a complete disaster. I am WARNING you do not just go to ERIE because of cheap prices. When you need them, they will screw you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I am still battling to get a claim fully paid by Erie for the hospitalization, lost wages and property damage done when an Erie policyholder turned her car into me as I was crossing an intersection on my bike in April 2017. I had to get written statements from witnesses, video the intersection/traffic patterns and then document my efforts, injuries and condition for months. The police officer responding to the accident didn't get any witness statements and listened only to the driver's story (I was not interviewed). Since then I have made attempts to contact Erie at least once every two weeks to determine a status and push things along. I got them to admit that the driver was at fault, but they have still not covered all the costs. They do not return my phone calls, and I get excuses and delays when I do call to the agent.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have two homeowner policies and five cars insured with Erie. I have only had one comprehensive claim on a windshield in four years. I have an old Ford truck, Chevy farm truck, Nissan Altima, Mustang, and a Corvette. I sold the Corvette and my problems begin!!! My almost $3000 yearly auto insurance policy was paid in full with 8 months remaining. I was expecting a few hundred dollar refund -- but NO -- I got a $53 bill instead! NOW this is what Erie customer service claims. They said it was a rate adjustment on the 4 remaining cars. That there was a clause in the policy that they could not raise the policy premium until there was some change in the policy.

I sold and dropped the Corvette so they increased the premium on the remaining 4 cars, (the newest being a 2014 model). My wife and I have a clean driving record -- no wrecks or tickets (both are over 62 yrs. of age). The remaining vehicles are 3 years older than they were!!! I recommend to just never notify Erie if you sell a vehicle and you will probably save a $1000 a year. I was with Allstate 40+ years and they never pulled nothing like this, they are higher but don't pull stunts. All my conversations with Erie are on tape.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I've been with this company almost 30 years. 30. Carried three policies for years. Sometime ago, lightning hit a 60 ft. oak tree next to my house; the tree was decimated and a huge limb dangled over the roof, just waiting to fall. Erie wouldn't cover the removal. Really? They would have covered it if it FELL on the house, they said. We spent over $1,000 for a crane to remove the limb quickly, take the tree down, then proceeded to argue with Erie for some time until they agreed to cover it. My life was too busy to make a change then as I should have.

My most recent experience. My annual car premium came due; I split the payment in half, like I always do each year. They (used to) charge a nominal fee for making a second payment. But my balance due notice said I owed another $85 in addition to the other half. My agent said it's because they don't do split payments anymore. But why wasn't this made clear somehow? It was buried somewhere back in the declaration? They couldn't possibly make an exception, given my history with them and given the fact that this change wasn't clearly noted anywhere. Incredible. My residence also changed to a "safer" insurance zone but no one peeped about that. I don't care if they're rated one of the best because they aren't. I've so had it with them. My new insurance with Geico is 30% less for the same coverage.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Seamless issue with a deer hitting my car; filing a claim was trouble free and gave me confidence. Erie is available anytime, understands my problem and solves it. Erie Insurance and the associated representing agent has been perfect for over 40 years; reasonable price; recommended coverage for additional items I needed; always been hassle free.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My wife was broadside and totaled her car. The cited driver also had Erie. Filed a claim and closed it in 3 days. They provided a rental car for a week too. Purchased new car 4th day and turned in rental at end of week. I compare rates every 3 years.

Erie Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1925, Erie Auto Insurance has more than 90 years of experience customizing policies for the modern driver. They currently serve more than 4 million customers with policies in 12 states and the District of Columbia.

• Plus home and life: Erie Auto Insurance offers policies that include "plus home and life" insurance. This allows them to offer package deals and lower prices.

• Individual and business: Customers can receive an auto insurance policy for the family or the business with Erie Auto Insurance. This company has policies specifically designed for either.

• Insurance discounts: When working up a quote with an agent, be sure to ask about the dozen plus different discounts available, ranging from safe driver to reduced usage.

• 12-month quote: The quote that Erie Auto Insurance provides is for a full year, not the six months often offered by other companies. The price on the year is often substantially lower than the competition once it is divided into monthly payments.

• Complete coverage options: Erie Auto Insurance policies range from comprehensive to collision and have interesting add-ons available like property and medical coverage.

• Best for: Drivers looking for a discount, drivers who also own homes and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky