2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

Erie Auto Insurance sells auto insurance as well as home and life insurance policies. The company is not an InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch can give you quotes for all 26 of their verified insurance partners in just 10 minutes. Call now to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Erie auto insurance offers car insurance with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company’s positive reviews appreciate the responsive customer service for safe drivers. Many customers have been with this regional company for decades.

PROS

• Multiple discounts available
  • Low cost compared to major brands
  • Offers 12-month premium quotes

CONS

• Some customers paid a cost that was different from their online quote
  • Low tolerance for risk after claims

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Erie Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Most-affordable comprehensive policy for this retiree driving a 20-yr-old Ford. Despite increased uninsured/under-insured options, still priced within my budget. After a total loss (claim) 2 yrs. ago, rates are still ok.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

My experience with Erie has always been a positive one. After reading so many negative reviews, I have to wonder if the problem was with Erie, or perhaps your insurance man/woman. I purchased my Erie Insurance through Gary Donius Insurance over 25 years ago. I’ve been involved in accidents and multiple fender benders over the years. Everything has always been handled immediately and fairly with care and professionalism.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I switched from GEICO to Erie because their price was way lower. I've had several claims since I'm with Erie. They have been on the spot every claim I've ever had. Taking care of me all the way. Through each claim. To the end.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I have been with them since 2013. I was paying 963 for 4 cars. Moved out to the County and 833. This month I had to move back to Original address 1204.00 with no explanation why. No changes but zip code.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Was rear ended Nov.30, 2019 by one of Erie's insured. It is now May 11th. I have faxed and called so many times with no results. It has been almost 6 months since my accident with them not resolving it, I have hospital, ambulance and Dr. bills which have not been paid because they refuse to handle the situation. It is a fairly small settlement, I am 65 years old with no means of covering them, If they pay without, me getting a lawyer, just remember that they are slow or no pay. I am very frustrated.

Original review: May 5, 2020

One of your insured ran a stop sign and T-boned me on 9/24/19. I had medical treatment until December 21, 2019. Why won't you answer any of my calls about a settlement. I have called numerous times, even emailed due to the COVID 19 situation. It's Now May 4th, and not only will you not return any of my inquiries, but you have also failed to send me anything. I have submitted all records to you as soon as you requested them. I have been told that I would receive something in January, then February.... And nothing arrived. That is also when you refused to answer any of my calls.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I recently filed a claim against one of their insured drivers after I was hit from behind from an 81-year-old woman who should not be on the road. I faxed my claim, they had a police report, called me and said "your accident looks consistent for what you said happened so we will be cutting you a check and if you need a to rent a car let us know." A week later no check. I call and they are now ignoring my calls and not returning my calls. I later receive a letter saying they are not going to cover my damages. What a shady cowardly company to say they would take care of my car when she clearly hit me and now they are hiding and dodging calls. I actually have the message saved to my phone that they are sending me a check and will be pursuing further action.

Original review: March 6, 2020

We recently took one out of three cars off our auto policy. We always pay full premium for full year in advance, to avoid extra fees. They owed us refund for one car for 9 months remaining that was prepaid. We paid $1356 for full year for 3 cars, and only refunded $149, even though they sent an amendment that showed $248 would be the refund. They are making every excuse to try to justify the very small refund of $149. It’s so transparent how greedy and unethical they are because they don’t want to give up $$ once it’s already in their pocket. We’ve used them for over 9 years now and we thought Erie insurance was better than that. Now, we don’t trust them ever again. Will likely NOT renew.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Erie Insurance, insured, caused an accident. States in police report, failure to yield, Erie's Insurance client. Received letter from Erie stating their client was not responsible, although police report and original statements, state else. Natalie **, signed the letter with contact information stating that if I had any questions or concerns to please call. I personally have placed over 20 calls and my son has placed phone calls. This letter was dated December 11 and it is over one month later and nobody will return phone calls. I can't even discuss the claim as nobody will get back to me. Extremely poor business practices for insurance company. If I could rate them it would be below 0.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had Erie for a number of years when I bought a house and switched my car insurance from Progressive over because it was cheaper with their multi-policy discount. I had to use the coverage once when my car was broken into and the stereo was stolen from it which they covered the damages less my deductible obviously. A while back I had asked my local agent if there was anything they could do as I felt like I had been paying way too much for their insurance and he gave me a discount that amounted to saving me $50-$100 for the year so I accepted it.

I noticed going back over the years that my plans never go down, I have the same vehicles with no tickets or accidents and my credit practically hasn't changed so this year I got a quote directly with Progressive and with the exact same coverage they were less than 1/2 the cost of what Erie wanted. I purchased a 6 month policy with Progressive that would've been the same cost for only 3 months with Erie. I even upgraded the coverage on both cars so that all of my vehicles would have the same coverage for only an extra $164 yr which is still a lot cheaper than having liability on both cars and comprehensive/collision on the truck with Erie. I was able to get my policy with Progressive at $626 yr with comprehensive/collision on all vehicles, Erie wanted $942 yr for liability only for both cars and comprehensive/collision on truck. Progressive wanted $462 yr for the exact same coverage as Erie.

Erie Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This auto insurance company writes policies in 12 states and Washington, D.C. The company also offers homeowners insurance. Bundling this with auto insurance means lower premiums on both. The company’s Auto Plus package includes benefits like rental car coverage, vanishing deductibles and death benefits.

• Coverage and plans: Erie offers basic coverage for medical payments and personal injury protection, liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured and underinsured motorists. Additional coverage exists for windshield repair, personal property and pet injury.

• Cost: A 20-year-old, regardless of gender, can expect to pay about $230 a month for auto insurance from Erie.

• Discounts: Erie has discounts for safe drivers, good students, safety equipment, upfront payment, low usage, bundling and multivehicle policies.

• Standout feature: Erie’s accident forgiveness policy means, after three years of safe driving, one accident won’t increase your premiums.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor