2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.78/5

Erie Insurance offers affordable auto protection policies with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company is available in 12 states, as well as in Washington, D.C. It provides some discounts for multicar policies and safe driving, as well as 12-month premium options.

BOTTOM LINE

Erie offers affordable car insurance with pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith service options. It gives discounts for safe driving and multicar policies, and it’s available in several U.S. locations.

PROS
  • Discounts often available
  • 12-month premium options
  • Low cost
CONS
  • Available in limited locations
  • Low tolerance for risk after claims

Top Erie Auto Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

My agent is always available for me and answers any questions I have. I bundled my house and car with him. Service is outstanding. I’ll never change. My family had been with Erie for years also. A local agent.

I have been with Erie for years, about 23. I like that I can do everything on their website online. They have several options on paying your bill so you can do it according to what you want. They give a discount if you have home or rental insurance with them.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Erie Insurance?

Erie is an auto coverage provider that offers customizable insurance policies. It has several discount, perk and add-ons options, including a rate-lock program. You can get an insurance quote on the company’s website, but you'll need to work with an agent to purchase the insurance you select. You can also pay bills and manage your account on the website; all claims must be filed through its claims hotline. Erie writes policies in 12 states and in Washington, D.C.

How does Erie Insurance work?

Erie provides a wide variety of coverage and benefits, including basic coverages like liability, uninsured motorist, medical protection, collision and comprehensive. It also offers these additional coverages:

• Glass repair
  • Locksmith service
  • Personal items
  • Accident forgiveness
  • Travel expenses
  • Pet injury

Erie's Auto Plus package offers the following perks:

• Diminishing deductible: Takes $100 off your deductible (up to $500) every year without an accident.
  • Extra rental car time: Gives you up to 10 days of extra time with a rental car when your car is out of commission.
  • Even higher limits: Adds to your limits for services like locksmiths, etc.
  • Waived deductible: Waives your deductible if you also use Erie's home insurance and the accident involves your home (e.g., if you accidentally run into your home, you don’t have to pay the auto deductible).
  • Death benefit: Pays up to $10,000 in the event of a covered auto accident death.

Erie Insurance quotes and rates

Erie’s car insurance rates depend on the vehicle and the driver’s age, location and driving history. You can expect Erie's annual premiums for full coverage to range from $1,924 to $3,614 — but keep in mind that this varies based on your information and potential discounts.

Erie Insurance FAQ

Does Erie have accident forgiveness?
Yes. Erie offers forgiveness for your first at-fault accident if you've been a customer for three years or more.
How much does Erie’s car insurance cost?
Erie’s rates depend on car type, your situation and your state. You can get a custom quote on its website.
Where is Erie available?
Erie is available in the following U.S. locations: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia.
Where is Erie located?
Erie Insurance is located in Erie, Pennsylvania.

Is Erie car insurance good?

Yes, Erie offers competitive rates and solid coverage for drivers in its service area. We recommend Erie’s auto insurance for drivers who prefer working with a local agent in person to managing their policies online.

Erie Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 8, 2021

Erie is absolutely 100% amazing! My husband and I, and now my son, have been customers of Erie for years and unfortunately have had several claims. Erie always handled them extremely fast and their professionalism and care is outstanding! Recently, my son and his girlfriend left our house on Easter and were hit head on by a drunk driver who actually got out and ran off. Thank God they had only some cuts and bruises but my son’s truck was totalled! Erie handled everything within 4 days! Everyone we have ever dealt with through Erie has been completely amazing! We recommend Erie car and home ins to EVERYONE and quite a few people we know have switched and love it! My son’s girlfriend just saw how this recent issue was handled by Erie and is leaving Nationwide to come over to Erie! I cannot thank Erie enough for always being there for their customers and making horrible situations, bearable.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have had Erie insurance auto insurance for many years, and it is combined with my homeowners insurance for a discount. They have a great customer service team at my local office. There was one agent assigned to me, and I always dealt with him. He has retired, and another agent is now assigned to me. Whenever I need something, or have a question, I call her and everything is resolved or answered during that phone call.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I had been insured by Geico for many, many years. For some reason I decided to get a quote from Erie and found the premium to be a lot lower. I switched to Erie several years ago and have been extremely pleased with their service. My car was stolen about 1.5 years ago and Erie was very efficient and generous in dealing with this claim. My car was never recovered and so I was given $12,500 for my stolen car. I believed I'd get about $8000 for it so the amount I was given was a great relief. It's always terribly inconvenient and painful to have a car stolen but Erie made the experience as good as could be. My agent is very responsive.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been very satisfied with Erie Insurance. I was with GEICO before and was paying way too much for my home and auto coverage. Erie saved me about 20 percent from the start and I check them each year to make sure they are in line. I have had one claim and it was handled perfectly. Five Stars ****

Original review: July 24, 2020

The Customer Service is provided by the local agent. That will make or break someone's opinion. I personally don't care for online only insurance services. The price we get is very good. We are older drivers but have been with Erie while our children (now adults) were covered under our policy. After hours service is available.

Original review: March 3, 2021

For all you hard working contractors out there, I'd like to share my personal experience with Erie Insurance. I've had Erie for for business general liability coverage since 2011 and I always paid my premiums. The policy was always serviced from where it was originated, specifically a very reputable authorized brokerage firm. Upon renewal this year, I was notified that Erie took my policy and was keeping it "in house" moving forward. My broker warned me that the level of service was going to be torturous and exhausting especially when it came time to request certificate of insurance (COI). At first I thought this might be a tactic to sell me a new policy for a better commission so I decided to stay with Erie based upon my past experience.

Several of my clients called me and requested COIs as they did in the past. I called the 800-222-2519 number and was prompted through to customer service. I was told to request the COI through a specific email customer.Branch@erieinsurance.com which I promptly sent out a request with specific language requesting five COIs. I was informed by the rep that the request will take up to 48 hours to process. I called back four days later and spoke to a rep regarding this request. She told me that she could not find the request.

I politely asked her to look it up under the email in which I sent it. She eventually found the request and informed me that she would send them out that day. Two days later I called back and went through this painful process yet again. I finally received two out of the five requests. I called back yet again and this time she informed me that the underwriter was unable to write COI for auto coverage or workers compensation coverage. I politely informed her that I was not requesting coverage for auto nor WC coverage, just the General Liability coverage that I've had for in the past, specifically the same customers with no alterations or changes in coverage.

Well. To make a long story short, they are denying me any more COIs to provide to my customers which I'm entitled to as per my policy. They are absolutely clueless at this call center and cannot give you any information without deferring to underwriting, even for a COI! I will be cancelling and reporting this to the Insurance Board for review and request advice from counsel. So you contractors and/or business owners with Erie, beware! Again, this is based only upon my personal experience which I am sharing.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Not real sure how to review this particular company without any insults.... Every single True Detail of my experience, if put into words would be a Devastating Insult.... Prey to God that the person who Damages your Vehicle has No Insurance at all over Erie Insurance... At least if they are un-insured and you have un-insured motorists rider on your policy then you might stand a chance of having your vehicle taken care of unlike the experience you will have if Erie has anything to do with it.... Honestly not sure of any possible way of giving an honest review and still maintaining my review within the (below stated Review Guidelines).... So I guess just that fact in and of itself will have to tell everyone what I have learned in a very short period of time.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

One of their insured drivers merged into my vehicle after I made a right turn onto the main road. And the photos of the damage corroborate the other driver merging into me. But they said it was my fault insinuating I failed to yield before making my turn. Mind you her vehicle was in front of me in traffic and should've seen me in the lane regardless of yielding or not. Not to mention I honked at the other driver.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

It’s amazing that this company is still in business with this many negative reviews. As it’s already been mentioned in previous reviews, very unprofessional service. I was hit by a lady on Christmas Eve who has Erie Insurance. It is now two weeks after the incident and I’ve been paying out of pocket this entire time for a rental vehicle and my car has yet to move to a body shop. The claim manager has yet to contact me and every time I call they tell me that she will be in touch with me soon. I finally was able to speak with a supervisor today who informed me that the accident in under “further investigation” and that they may not even take liability for my claim, even though she admitted and was clearly 100% at fault.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Been with Erie for awhile now. They are cheaper than most. The adjuster that came out both times I was rear ended was great! Problem is, we had a guy rear end us at the end of May, we hired a lawyer since we like most, don't trust insurance companies. We are STILL waiting at time this review, to get a settlement. There is no reason someone needs to wait this long for a settlement that is not their fault. It all went smooth until they was told that a lawyer was hired.

Erie Auto Insurance Company Information