Erie Auto Insurance
Based on 92 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance sells auto insurance as well as home and life insurance policies. The company is not an InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch can give you quotes for all 26 of their verified insurance partners in just 2 minutes. Call now to get started.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 14, 2018

93 Erie Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Had them for a long time with no trouble as long as you didn't have any claims... 2 deer ran into the side of me last year and another Erie customer "T" boned me, for being a great customer for years they raise my premium this year. Now I'm giving my money to a different insurer.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Erie insurance provides great premiums for good "coverage". However, the minute you're in trouble they screw you. It has happened over and over again. They have fooled my family and I twice now. Trust me. Pay a few more dollars to go with someone else. My car was in a hit and run, and hit in two places. They tried to tell me that it was two claims because it was hit in two places. Even though it was the same incident and seconds apart. Laughable, all they were trying to do is get me to pay two deductibles. Anything for them to save money. The damage was not even that extensive, and they are trying to get me to pay double the deductible.

I pay 4000 dollars a year in car insurance, and they are going all this way to save 250 bucks. It is hilarious because some of the lower level people at Erie were even shocked about this. They couldn't believe what the adjuster and his manager were trying to pull off. They had no choice, but to go along with it. What a complete disaster. I am WARNING you do not just go to ERIE because of cheap prices. When you need them, they will screw you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I am still battling to get a claim fully paid by Erie for the hospitalization, lost wages and property damage done when an Erie policyholder turned her car into me as I was crossing an intersection on my bike in April 2017. I had to get written statements from witnesses, video the intersection/traffic patterns and then document my efforts, injuries and condition for months. The police officer responding to the accident didn't get any witness statements and listened only to the driver's story (I was not interviewed). Since then I have made attempts to contact Erie at least once every two weeks to determine a status and push things along. I got them to admit that the driver was at fault, but they have still not covered all the costs. They do not return my phone calls, and I get excuses and delays when I do call to the agent.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have two homeowner policies and five cars insured with Erie. I have only had one comprehensive claim on a windshield in four years. I have an old Ford truck, Chevy farm truck, Nissan Altima, Mustang, and a Corvette. I sold the Corvette and my problems begin!!! My almost $3000 yearly auto insurance policy was paid in full with 8 months remaining. I was expecting a few hundred dollar refund -- but NO -- I got a $53 bill instead! NOW this is what Erie customer service claims. They said it was a rate adjustment on the 4 remaining cars. That there was a clause in the policy that they could not raise the policy premium until there was some change in the policy.

I sold and dropped the Corvette so they increased the premium on the remaining 4 cars, (the newest being a 2014 model). My wife and I have a clean driving record -- no wrecks or tickets (both are over 62 yrs. of age). The remaining vehicles are 3 years older than they were!!! I recommend to just never notify Erie if you sell a vehicle and you will probably save a $1000 a year. I was with Allstate 40+ years and they never pulled nothing like this, they are higher but don't pull stunts. All my conversations with Erie are on tape.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I've been with this company almost 30 years. 30. Carried three policies for years. Sometime ago, lightning hit a 60 ft. oak tree next to my house; the tree was decimated and a huge limb dangled over the roof, just waiting to fall. Erie wouldn't cover the removal. Really? They would have covered it if it FELL on the house, they said. We spent over $1,000 for a crane to remove the limb quickly, take the tree down, then proceeded to argue with Erie for some time until they agreed to cover it. My life was too busy to make a change then as I should have.

My most recent experience. My annual car premium came due; I split the payment in half, like I always do each year. They (used to) charge a nominal fee for making a second payment. But my balance due notice said I owed another $85 in addition to the other half. My agent said it's because they don't do split payments anymore. But why wasn't this made clear somehow? It was buried somewhere back in the declaration? They couldn't possibly make an exception, given my history with them and given the fact that this change wasn't clearly noted anywhere. Incredible. My residence also changed to a "safer" insurance zone but no one peeped about that. I don't care if they're rated one of the best because they aren't. I've so had it with them. My new insurance with Geico is 30% less for the same coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Seamless issue with a deer hitting my car; filing a claim was trouble free and gave me confidence. Erie is available anytime, understands my problem and solves it. Erie Insurance and the associated representing agent has been perfect for over 40 years; reasonable price; recommended coverage for additional items I needed; always been hassle free.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My wife was broadside and totaled her car. The cited driver also had Erie. Filed a claim and closed it in 3 days. They provided a rental car for a week too. Purchased new car 4th day and turned in rental at end of week. I compare rates every 3 years.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have been an Erie customer for 15 years. I have auto and renter's insurance policies through them. I have never needed to file a claim on the renter's policy. As for the auto policy, they have always served me well. I had an accident that was my fault in 2006. They covered all the damages to both cars. The adjuster was quick to file my claim and settle it. They have accident forgiveness, so my premium did not change when I renewed.

I was also involved in an accident for which I was not at fault. I filed claims with both Erie and the at-fault driver's company. I ended up subrogating through Erie. My car was totaled, and Erie gave me $500 more money than the other company. They also handled all of the communication with the other insurance company, so I did not need to put forth very much effort to settle the claim. They also handled the rental car and covered that completely. The accident had happened on a Tuesday evening. By Wednesday morning, I was in a rental car, and by Friday afternoon I had a check for the entire value of my car. By Saturday, I was driving my new car off the dealer's lot.

Lastly, I had a rock bounce up and crack my windshield while driving on the highway. I filed a claim with Erie as soon as I got home that evening. Erie scheduled an appointment for me with a mobile windshield replacement company for the next day. They showed up on time and replaced my windshield quickly. The workmanship was top notch. I have zero deductible on my comprehensive policy, so there was no out of pocket expense. To reiterate, my windshield was replaced within 16 hours of filing a claim at zero cost and I didn't even have to move my car. So far, Erie has been an excellent company to deal with. Everyone I have dealt with from there has been courteous and efficient. I highly recommend this company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I requested an online quote for auto insurance/renter's insurance bundle from Erie Insurance as I was shopping around for cheaper insurance rates than the ones offered by my current insurance company. The original quote that popped up was $119.74 per month (which I liked). An Erie employee Karen ** responded to my request. The first quote she sent me was doubled what I am currently paying; nowhere near the quote that had popped up on my computer screen. She claimed once I sent her my driver's license number it would be MUCH cheaper. I sent her my license number and the current full coverage that I now have on my vehicle. She continued to try to throw increases here and there on my insurance coverages. This did not sit well with me; I don't know if she thought I wouldn't notice it because I'm a senior or what she was trying to pull; but it immediately made me feel that Erie Insurance Company is not trustworthy.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I was an Erie Insurance customer for 12yrs. In those years I always made my payments ahead of time. In the past few years, I leased a Honda Civic. Unfortunately, for me over the course of 3yrs. I had 3 claims. All of which were completely out of my control. The first incident, a drunk driver totaled my car in a hit and run. The second claim was due to hitting a deer. Lastly I was involved in a hailstorm. I thought that the purpose of having and paying for insurance was for instances such as these. Never mind that, I always paid my premium ahead of time. Erie decided not to renew my policy. I am not to blame for random acts of nature however, things worked out for the best. I now own a BMW as opposed to a Honda Civic. I am insured with Geico. Guess what? Geico is cheaper than Erie. I wouldn't recommend Erie to my worst enemy. Thanks Erie for the education.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Hands down. Erie Insurance is the worst company I have dealt with. My vehicle was severely damaged by one of their covered drivers. It took me 4 days to merely get in contact with the claims adjuster, morning day and evening I tried. They wouldn't answer my calls or messages in any sort of timely matter. Once in contact they juggled me around and around to another representative (I had four in all) and they dragged the process as slow as possible. They were highly off point with initial estimates that I had to make it known for them the obvious undercarriage damage, and with that they dragged time further requiring their estimator to re-inspect what should have been found earlier.

I was without a rental car for two weeks though I was clearly entitled to. The main representative even threatened me with personal expensives stating that if I do not submit this claim to my own insurance that Erie would charge me for storage fees (I would have been charged my deductible and the accident was already written as the other driver's fault). As a whole ERIE is by far the worst company in general I've dealt with. It's now the seventh week without my vehicle but it is repaired. It's been on hold still with the shop since last Thursday and all because Erie's adjuster is "Not currently in my area".

Original review: May 26, 2017

I had someone hit me a year ago, Erie fixed my car right away, and collected from the other guy later. So, I didn't have to wait for the other company to call me. My rates are low. Went to USAA for a quote and there was no reason to switch.

Original review: May 25, 2017

A dog ran out into the highway in front of us. We couldn't stop and we hit him. My front end and passenger side in the front got messed up. I called Erie Insurance, took my car to the garage, they gave me the estimate and it was fixed in just a couple days. Nice, smooth, easy peasy. I am really happy with my insurance company and I've never had any problems with them. They have never been rude to me and their costs are reasonable.

Original review: May 21, 2017

In larger cities, talking with your agent on the phone is so much easier than living in the country! Usually, I have to go into the agent's office to clear up any discrepancies on my policy. Make sure to comparison shop at least every 6 months and be sure to ask about special offers from all insurance agents. Erie only likes to insure cars that are less than 5 years old, regardless of how long you've been a customer! I am a disabled veteran and I cannot follow "Normal business hours". When I filed my claim, I was very very sick (And hospitalized). I was expected to return a phone call to the adjuster within 48 hours and was in intensive care for nearly 4 days. The insurance company settled with the negligent driver while I was fight for my life. The only reason I stayed with them is they have the most affordable rates and payment plans.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

It's a very straightforward experience. They directed me to a local body shop for the estimate, sent the check, and the body shop ended up finding additional work during job, additional work covered. Everything done well with little effort on my part. Everything was handled promptly, courteously, and taken care of.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

After Geico dropped me after years of never filing a claim, I did some research and found Erie to be a better fit for me. I saved money in the process also. They're better than anyone else in my opinion.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Erie gave us best pricing after our old company raised our rates for no reason. Even with 2 new cars our payments were less than other major insurance carriers. Best pricing for the coverage we needed.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I received forms, completed them the next day, then mailed. I received check in about two weeks. I've been with Erie several years. Consider them good to deal with but not wonderful. Value is good, not great.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

We did not have this insurance for a long time before we had a claim. It was a very bad storm that did damage. Erie was very quick and thorough to get an adjuster here and the claim was taken care of without any hassle. Their rates are very good for our area and I like having an agent close by if I have any questions or changes to make. Local agent and never any problems with a claim and the best rate in our area!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2015

Very favorable. The insurance agent was very helpful and gave me important information about my policy as long as I had it with his agency. He assisted me in getting affordable rates for the type of insurance that I needed. He also suggested other options such as flood insurance and this was greatly appreciated. Any auto claims were settled quickly but in a professional and fair manner. All the different types of coverages such as liability, collision, medical and comprehensive coverages were explained in a clear and concise manner. I also received accurate auto insurance quotes whenever I inquired.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

They are always quick to attend to my needs and make me feel number 1. They never make you feel like a bother. They know their information in and out and will get the answer if they don't. I never have had to file a claim but have 100% confident that it would be handled above and beyond what we expect.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

Erie Insurance has been my insurance company for 40 years and they have always gone out of their way to be helpful and informative. I have never had a rate increase due to a claim and I have had a few. Erie has even found ways to get more money when I have made a claim. Their agents are friendly, courteous and appear to care about their customers on a personal level. A+ company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2015

I am satisfied with Erie because they are always available in their office to discuss any concerns or to answer any questions I may have unlike GEICO and a few other online insurance companies I have dealt with in the past. Here in Maryland there aren't any offices that I am able to walk into in my area when it comes to GEICO or Progressive. The online insurance companies have the cheaper and lower rates, whereas, Erie's rates are very high but they are easier to talk to and always available.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

They are always very personalized with their service. They are quick to get back to us if we call with any questions. Unlike large companies who you speak with a different person everything you call, I talk to the same two people every time I call! Love my insurance with Erie!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

Very good. Cares about the customers and their needs. They have good rates and I'm able to get ahold of them in order to go over my policy and rates. I just got a neat year and they worked with me to get the lowest insurance payment possible while still maintaining good quality and price.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2015

Erie is a good choice for auto insurance because their prices are the lowest anywhere around. They also have many ways to lower your premiums. They are excellent when you have to file a claim. They are fair and fast in their appraisal process. They also have accident forgiveness. The only problem I have with them is they are not very efficient at supplying important information from my agent.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

Excellent rates with good discounts yet all of the coverage that I wanted. Very good experience when I made a claim last year... It was settled & paid out in less than 2 wks. I was even contacted by the insurance adjuster when he didn't trust what he saw at my mechanic's garage... and he was right! My mechanic was a thief! So appreciative of the heads up from an insider.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

I have not had to use it other than towing, it does bother me that even though I have not had a claim my rates go up but they are still cheaper than others. I do like the fact that they know me, I know them, I can call them up if I have a question or problem and talk about how to reduce my rates or adjust my coverage.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

We have had Erie insurance for a long time. They were very helpful when we were in a car accident about 12 years ago. Representatives called us to see how we were doing and followed through with everything that we applied for. They have discounts when you have other things insured with them, so that helps lessen the final cost of insurance. They work with you when you want to change your car insurance and give good information to help you stay safe.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

I am satisfied with my insurance but am thinking about checking for a better rate. We have had the same insurance for over 20 years and had only a couple of claims. We will be adding new drivers in the near future so it is probably a good time to look into new insurance. The few times we contacted them we were pleased with our service.

Erie Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1925, Erie Auto Insurance has more than 90 years of experience customizing policies for the modern driver. They currently serve more than 4 million customers with policies in 12 states and the District of Columbia.

• Plus home and life: Erie Auto Insurance offers policies that include "plus home and life" insurance. This allows them to offer package deals and lower prices.

• Individual and business: Customers can receive an auto insurance policy for the family or the business with Erie Auto Insurance. This company has policies specifically designed for either.

• Insurance discounts: When working up a quote with an agent, be sure to ask about the dozen plus different discounts available, ranging from safe driver to reduced usage.

• 12-month quote: The quote that Erie Auto Insurance provides is for a full year, not the six months often offered by other companies. The price on the year is often substantially lower than the competition once it is divided into monthly payments.

• Complete coverage options: Erie Auto Insurance policies range from comprehensive to collision and have interesting add-ons available like property and medical coverage.

• Best for: Drivers looking for a discount, drivers who also own homes and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

www.erieinsurance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use