Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
Erie Auto Insurance
3.30/5

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance sells auto insurance as well as home and life insurance policies. The company is not an InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch can give you quotes for all 26 of their verified insurance partners in just 10 minutes. Call now to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Erie auto insurance offers car insurance with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company’s positive reviews appreciate the responsive customer service for safe drivers. Many customers have been with this regional company for decades.

PROS

• Multiple discounts available
  • Low cost compared to major brands
  • Offers 12-month premium quotes

CONS

• Some customers paid a cost that was different from their online quote
  • Low tolerance for risk after claims

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

159 Erie Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have to say I was very impressed with the way Erie handled our auto accident (car was totaled and the driver was hospitalized for a day). There were 3 adjusters involved, one who dealt with the vehicle, one who dealt with the medical bills and one that reimbursed the lost wages. All were easily accessible both via phone and email. When the medical ran out under the auto coverage, it went to our health insurer, who reached out to Erie to confirm that the medical was exhausted. Erie promptly reached out to confirm it was ok to release the documentation and upon getting our confirm, they did. The offer for a vehicle was fair, they didn’t try to nickel and dime us. All claims, unfortunately, ultimately require effort, but Erie was as easy to deal with as I had hoped for.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been happy with Erie insurance. I have auto, house, and umbrella coverage with them. They are very helpful with claims. My last claim was for road damage to my air conditioner. They took the initiative to contact the repair shop. They approved the claim and paid quickly.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Erie is a pretty good company. My local agent's place looks kind of shabby but we have our house and cars through them. The prices are great for the coverage, even on newer cars. Rates don't go up much year to year, only downside is that I often don't get ahold of someone right away but response time has never been more than an hour.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

They are always nice when I call. They take their time with you. They make sure they understand what you want. Even if you have a hard time with the VIN numbers they are very patient with you. They are the best.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been with Erie for years, about 23. I like that I can do everything on their website online. They have several options on paying your bill so you can do it according to what you want. They give a discount if you have home or rental insurance with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I have been an Erie Auto and Home Insurance customer for 26 years. My son recently had an accident and now they are dropping me. So much for their so called accident forgiveness. Yes, my son was at fault, but I have paid them way more over the 26 years than the accident cost. I will be dropping Erie completely. No customer loyalty at all!!! What I once thought was a great insurance company, that thought is gone. Stay away from Erie.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I bought a brand new 2018 Nissan Rogue SL fully equip last year. A guy pull out from a stop sign in front of me and total my car.a year later. I tried to find another car exactly like it with all the same equipment my old one had, couldn’t find anything within a 50 miles. So I look at a 2019 from the dealer I bought my old one from. They gave me the new one at the same price as I paid for my old one. When I found out what Erie was giving me for the insurance value, I would had to add another $12,000. dollars to it.

They said they were giving me what my car is worth thru this company would determines what cars are worth. He sent me four car comparisons from my area. When I look up these cars they were nowhere to be found to see if they are exactly what my car had. I did online find a couple like my old car and they wanted about 4 thousand more for them. I don’t believe I got a good comparison quote. And they don’t want to hear anything about it. Signed, Loser.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Erie Insurance Company did a credit check without my consent at the time of my renewal premium. I spoke with a representative from Erie named Michelle ** and she stated that it was only a "soft" credit check. It does not matter whether it was a soft or hard credit check. My credit should not be checked/ran without consumer's consent. I am very upset with this and have never dealt with this before as I have been a experienced driver for years. Never once has my credit been check after each renewal. Legal matters should take place.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I had Erie insurance for 35 years. Then a storm with high winds and hail hit my neighborhood. My roof was damaged and the siding on one side of my house was riddled with holes. Many of my neighbors had similar damage. One home was totally destroyed by a tree. Our homes are 33 years old and there is no matching siding available. All of my neighbors are getting all new siding because there is no match. I am not getting all new siding because I have Erie insurance, according to the adjuster Erie does not care about matching. I was told to paint my siding. After 35 years Erie was not there when I needed them. If you have Erie drop it, if you do not have it don’t get it.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I Have a Claim with Erie insurance. Their insurer was at Fault. The car was total loss. We have been without car for over week. They will give you the runaround. I have been calling leaving messages. Even with the Supervisors. They will not call you back. They don't care that you are a victim. And will leave you stressed. And suffering.

Erie Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Founded in 1925, Erie Auto Insurance has more than 90 years of experience customizing policies for the modern driver. They currently serve more than 4 million customers with policies in 12 states and the District of Columbia.

• Plus home and life: Erie Auto Insurance offers policies that include "plus home and life" insurance. This allows them to offer package deals and lower prices.

• Individual and business: Customers can receive an auto insurance policy for the family or the business with Erie Auto Insurance. This company has policies specifically designed for either.

• Insurance discounts: When working up a quote with an agent, be sure to ask about the dozen plus different discounts available, ranging from safe driver to reduced usage.

• 12-month quote: The quote that Erie Auto Insurance provides is for a full year, not the six months often offered by other companies. The price on the year is often substantially lower than the competition once it is divided into monthly payments.

• Complete coverage options: Erie Auto Insurance policies range from comprehensive to collision and have interesting add-ons available like property and medical coverage.

• Best for: Drivers looking for a discount, drivers who also own homes and new drivers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky