2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Erie Insurance

Erie Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.25/5

Erie Auto Insurance sells auto insurance as well as home and life insurance policies. The company is not an InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch can give you quotes for all 26 of their verified insurance partners in just 10 minutes. Call now to get started. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Erie Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: March 6, 2020

We recently took one out of three cars off our auto policy. We always pay full premium for full year in advance, to avoid extra fees. They owed us refund for one car for 9 months remaining that was prepaid. We paid $1356 for full year for 3 cars, and only refunded $149, even though they sent an amendment that showed $248 would be the refund. They are making every excuse to try to justify the very small refund of $149. It’s so transparent how greedy and unethical they are because they don’t want to give up $$ once it’s already in their pocket. We’ve used them for over 9 years now and we thought Erie insurance was better than that. Now, we don’t trust them ever again. Will likely NOT renew.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Erie Insurance, insured, caused an accident. States in police report, failure to yield, Erie's Insurance client. Received letter from Erie stating their client was not responsible, although police report and original statements, state else. Natalie **, signed the letter with contact information stating that if I had any questions or concerns to please call. I personally have placed over 20 calls and my son has placed phone calls. This letter was dated December 11 and it is over one month later and nobody will return phone calls. I can't even discuss the claim as nobody will get back to me. Extremely poor business practices for insurance company. If I could rate them it would be below 0.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had Erie for a number of years when I bought a house and switched my car insurance from Progressive over because it was cheaper with their multi-policy discount. I had to use the coverage once when my car was broken into and the stereo was stolen from it which they covered the damages less my deductible obviously. A while back I had asked my local agent if there was anything they could do as I felt like I had been paying way too much for their insurance and he gave me a discount that amounted to saving me $50-$100 for the year so I accepted it.

I noticed going back over the years that my plans never go down, I have the same vehicles with no tickets or accidents and my credit practically hasn't changed so this year I got a quote directly with Progressive and with the exact same coverage they were less than 1/2 the cost of what Erie wanted. I purchased a 6 month policy with Progressive that would've been the same cost for only 3 months with Erie. I even upgraded the coverage on both cars so that all of my vehicles would have the same coverage for only an extra $164 yr which is still a lot cheaper than having liability on both cars and comprehensive/collision on the truck with Erie. I was able to get my policy with Progressive at $626 yr with comprehensive/collision on all vehicles, Erie wanted $942 yr for liability only for both cars and comprehensive/collision on truck. Progressive wanted $462 yr for the exact same coverage as Erie.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Erie insured's teenage daughter ran into my car while she was making a difficult left turn out of a parking lot. She didn't check traffic in front of her before moving. Crash was on Nov 14. As of Dec 9 this has not been settled. It is a small claim around 2000.00. Erie rep will not return calls. Checking with lawyer to see what to do next. Don't buy this insurance if you want to do the right thing if you are at fault. Neither the rep nor the insured care if we are compensated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I have a small business and I bought a policy for my business from Erie insurance. First year rate was ok then second year they increased the rate without any reasons. Before policy starts for the second year I called their main office to cancel the policy. They told me to call local office which is situated in Loveland Ohio. I called and canceled it, Finally asked whether I have to call again. They said no, everything took care and they sent me a $648 bill after two months. They did not cancel it right away, kept the policy actively for two months and canceled it. They do this to make money from the consumers. It was not my mistake and so why I pay for this insurance shark.

They repeatedly called and told me to pay the balance. Even some rude people from Erie called and threatened me. They tried to intimidate me. They said that they are going to take a legal action against me. If you deal with Erie insurance be careful. Especially, when you are done paper work. I have noticed they do incomplete or errant paper work too. Now I have a policy with Berkshire Hathaway. They offer a reasonable rate and professional service.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I was rear ended by an Erie client on 7/19/19. Small claim, under $2,000. Mr. Kevin ** appraised the damage on my car, for Erie, on 9/12/19 and has yet to give an estimate on the damage so that the body shop can make repair. Since then, I have left 4 phone messages for Mr. ** to call me. I have called back to the Erie area claims rep. and left message for her (Carrie) to call me on 11/6/19. To date I have received no returned phone calls from either Erie employee or anyone. Erie received a 1 star rating because of their attempt to rip off.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I have been with Erie for over 55 years and my family for 30 years prior to that. I guess I am too lazy to make a change. When we started with Erie we had an actual person for an agent who we would contact when we had a claim and he took care of it always to our complete satisfaction. Since his retirement my agent is an agency with no personal contact. If I call I get the next available agent, who ever that may be, who doesn't know me from Adam. You're instructed to contact the "claims department" who will satisfy your claim.

In 55 years we have had to file several claims, two of which were for deer and one turkey buzzard. All of the other claims were for accidents that were not our fault. The last one really stunk because the guy had no insurance at all and I was stopped in our car when he hit me and then lied about a witness that said I hit them and we had to pay a deductible. They also would not renew my property insurance on a rental unit in a certain neighborhood in the city. (Red lining?) No personal touch or loyalty to their customers.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Most-affordable comprehensive policy for this retiree driving a 20-yr-old Ford. Despite increased uninsured/under-insured options, still priced within my budget. After a total loss (claim) 2 yrs. ago, rates are still ok.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I switched from GEICO to Erie because their price was way lower. I've had several claims since I'm with Erie. They have been on the spot every claim I've ever had. Taking care of me all the way. Through each claim. To the end.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I have been an Erie Auto and Home Insurance customer for 26 years. My son recently had an accident and now they are dropping me. So much for their so called accident forgiveness. Yes, my son was at fault, but I have paid them way more over the 26 years than the accident cost. I will be dropping Erie completely. No customer loyalty at all!!! What I once thought was a great insurance company, that thought is gone. Stay away from Erie.

Erie Auto Insurance Company Information