Find a Car Insurance partner

Erie Auto Insurance

Erie Insurance

3.9/5 (865 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Erie Insurance

Erie Insurance offers affordable auto protection policies with several optional add-ons, like pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith services. The company is available in 12 states, as well as in Washington, D.C. It provides some discounts for multicar policies and safe driving, as well as 12-month premium options.

Pros

• Discounts often available
  • 12-month premium options
  • Low cost

Cons

• Available in limited locations
  • Low tolerance for risk after claims

Bottom Line

Erie offers affordable car insurance with pet coverage, windshield repair and locksmith service options. It gives discounts for safe driving and multicar policies, and it’s available in several U.S. locations.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Erie Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been very satisfied with Erie Insurance. I was with GEICO before and was paying way too much for my home and auto coverage. Erie saved me about 20 percent from the start and I check them each year to make sure they are in line. I have had one claim and it was handled perfectly. Five Stars ****

Original review: July 24, 2020

The Customer Service is provided by the local agent. That will make or break someone's opinion. I personally don't care for online only insurance services. The price we get is very good. We are older drivers but have been with Erie while our children (now adults) were covered under our policy. After hours service is available.

Original review: July 23, 2020

My agent is always available for me and answers any questions I have. I bundled my house and car with him. Service is outstanding. I’ll never change. My family had been with Erie for years also. A local agent.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I have been with them since 2013. I was paying 963 for 4 cars. Moved out to the County and 833. This month I had to move back to Original address 1204.00 with no explanation why. No changes but zip code.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Was rear ended Nov.30, 2019 by one of Erie's insured. It is now May 11th. I have faxed and called so many times with no results. It has been almost 6 months since my accident with them not resolving it, I have hospital, ambulance and Dr. bills which have not been paid because they refuse to handle the situation. It is a fairly small settlement, I am 65 years old with no means of covering them, If they pay without, me getting a lawyer, just remember that they are slow or no pay. I am very frustrated.

Original review: May 5, 2020

One of your insured ran a stop sign and T-boned me on 9/24/19. I had medical treatment until December 21, 2019. Why won't you answer any of my calls about a settlement. I have called numerous times, even emailed due to the COVID 19 situation. It's Now May 4th, and not only will you not return any of my inquiries, but you have also failed to send me anything. I have submitted all records to you as soon as you requested them. I have been told that I would receive something in January, then February.... And nothing arrived. That is also when you refused to answer any of my calls.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I recently filed a claim against one of their insured drivers after I was hit from behind from an 81-year-old woman who should not be on the road. I faxed my claim, they had a police report, called me and said "your accident looks consistent for what you said happened so we will be cutting you a check and if you need a to rent a car let us know." A week later no check. I call and they are now ignoring my calls and not returning my calls. I later receive a letter saying they are not going to cover my damages. What a shady cowardly company to say they would take care of my car when she clearly hit me and now they are hiding and dodging calls. I actually have the message saved to my phone that they are sending me a check and will be pursuing further action.

Original review: March 6, 2020

We recently took one out of three cars off our auto policy. We always pay full premium for full year in advance, to avoid extra fees. They owed us refund for one car for 9 months remaining that was prepaid. We paid $1356 for full year for 3 cars, and only refunded $149, even though they sent an amendment that showed $248 would be the refund. They are making every excuse to try to justify the very small refund of $149. It’s so transparent how greedy and unethical they are because they don’t want to give up $$ once it’s already in their pocket. We’ve used them for over 9 years now and we thought Erie insurance was better than that. Now, we don’t trust them ever again. Will likely NOT renew.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Erie Insurance, insured, caused an accident. States in police report, failure to yield, Erie's Insurance client. Received letter from Erie stating their client was not responsible, although police report and original statements, state else. Natalie **, signed the letter with contact information stating that if I had any questions or concerns to please call. I personally have placed over 20 calls and my son has placed phone calls. This letter was dated December 11 and it is over one month later and nobody will return phone calls. I can't even discuss the claim as nobody will get back to me. Extremely poor business practices for insurance company. If I could rate them it would be below 0.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had Erie for a number of years when I bought a house and switched my car insurance from Progressive over because it was cheaper with their multi-policy discount. I had to use the coverage once when my car was broken into and the stereo was stolen from it which they covered the damages less my deductible obviously. A while back I had asked my local agent if there was anything they could do as I felt like I had been paying way too much for their insurance and he gave me a discount that amounted to saving me $50-$100 for the year so I accepted it.

I noticed going back over the years that my plans never go down, I have the same vehicles with no tickets or accidents and my credit practically hasn't changed so this year I got a quote directly with Progressive and with the exact same coverage they were less than 1/2 the cost of what Erie wanted. I purchased a 6 month policy with Progressive that would've been the same cost for only 3 months with Erie. I even upgraded the coverage on both cars so that all of my vehicles would have the same coverage for only an extra $164 yr which is still a lot cheaper than having liability on both cars and comprehensive/collision on the truck with Erie. I was able to get my policy with Progressive at $626 yr with comprehensive/collision on all vehicles, Erie wanted $942 yr for liability only for both cars and comprehensive/collision on truck. Progressive wanted $462 yr for the exact same coverage as Erie.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Erie insured's teenage daughter ran into my car while she was making a difficult left turn out of a parking lot. She didn't check traffic in front of her before moving. Crash was on Nov 14. As of Dec 9 this has not been settled. It is a small claim around 2000.00. Erie rep will not return calls. Checking with lawyer to see what to do next. Don't buy this insurance if you want to do the right thing if you are at fault. Neither the rep nor the insured care if we are compensated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I have a small business and I bought a policy for my business from Erie insurance. First year rate was ok then second year they increased the rate without any reasons. Before policy starts for the second year I called their main office to cancel the policy. They told me to call local office which is situated in Loveland Ohio. I called and canceled it, Finally asked whether I have to call again. They said no, everything took care and they sent me a $648 bill after two months. They did not cancel it right away, kept the policy actively for two months and canceled it. They do this to make money from the consumers. It was not my mistake and so why I pay for this insurance shark.

They repeatedly called and told me to pay the balance. Even some rude people from Erie called and threatened me. They tried to intimidate me. They said that they are going to take a legal action against me. If you deal with Erie insurance be careful. Especially, when you are done paper work. I have noticed they do incomplete or errant paper work too. Now I have a policy with Berkshire Hathaway. They offer a reasonable rate and professional service.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I was rear ended by an Erie client on 7/19/19. Small claim, under $2,000. Mr. Kevin ** appraised the damage on my car, for Erie, on 9/12/19 and has yet to give an estimate on the damage so that the body shop can make repair. Since then, I have left 4 phone messages for Mr. ** to call me. I have called back to the Erie area claims rep. and left message for her (Carrie) to call me on 11/6/19. To date I have received no returned phone calls from either Erie employee or anyone. Erie received a 1 star rating because of their attempt to rip off.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I have been with Erie for over 55 years and my family for 30 years prior to that. I guess I am too lazy to make a change. When we started with Erie we had an actual person for an agent who we would contact when we had a claim and he took care of it always to our complete satisfaction. Since his retirement my agent is an agency with no personal contact. If I call I get the next available agent, who ever that may be, who doesn't know me from Adam. You're instructed to contact the "claims department" who will satisfy your claim.

In 55 years we have had to file several claims, two of which were for deer and one turkey buzzard. All of the other claims were for accidents that were not our fault. The last one really stunk because the guy had no insurance at all and I was stopped in our car when he hit me and then lied about a witness that said I hit them and we had to pay a deductible. They also would not renew my property insurance on a rental unit in a certain neighborhood in the city. (Red lining?) No personal touch or loyalty to their customers.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Most-affordable comprehensive policy for this retiree driving a 20-yr-old Ford. Despite increased uninsured/under-insured options, still priced within my budget. After a total loss (claim) 2 yrs. ago, rates are still ok.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

My experience with Erie has always been a positive one. After reading so many negative reviews, I have to wonder if the problem was with Erie, or perhaps your insurance man/woman. I purchased my Erie Insurance through Gary Donius Insurance over 25 years ago. I’ve been involved in accidents and multiple fender benders over the years. Everything has always been handled immediately and fairly with care and professionalism.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I switched from GEICO to Erie because their price was way lower. I've had several claims since I'm with Erie. They have been on the spot every claim I've ever had. Taking care of me all the way. Through each claim. To the end.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I have been an Erie Auto and Home Insurance customer for 26 years. My son recently had an accident and now they are dropping me. So much for their so called accident forgiveness. Yes, my son was at fault, but I have paid them way more over the 26 years than the accident cost. I will be dropping Erie completely. No customer loyalty at all!!! What I once thought was a great insurance company, that thought is gone. Stay away from Erie.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I bought a brand new 2018 Nissan Rogue SL fully equip last year. A guy pull out from a stop sign in front of me and total my car.a year later. I tried to find another car exactly like it with all the same equipment my old one had, couldn’t find anything within a 50 miles. So I look at a 2019 from the dealer I bought my old one from. They gave me the new one at the same price as I paid for my old one. When I found out what Erie was giving me for the insurance value, I would had to add another $12,000. dollars to it.

They said they were giving me what my car is worth thru this company would determines what cars are worth. He sent me four car comparisons from my area. When I look up these cars they were nowhere to be found to see if they are exactly what my car had. I did online find a couple like my old car and they wanted about 4 thousand more for them. I don’t believe I got a good comparison quote. And they don’t want to hear anything about it. Signed, Loser.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Erie Insurance Company did a credit check without my consent at the time of my renewal premium. I spoke with a representative from Erie named Michelle ** and she stated that it was only a "soft" credit check. It does not matter whether it was a soft or hard credit check. My credit should not be checked/ran without consumer's consent. I am very upset with this and have never dealt with this before as I have been a experienced driver for years. Never once has my credit been check after each renewal. Legal matters should take place.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I had Erie insurance for 35 years. Then a storm with high winds and hail hit my neighborhood. My roof was damaged and the siding on one side of my house was riddled with holes. Many of my neighbors had similar damage. One home was totally destroyed by a tree. Our homes are 33 years old and there is no matching siding available. All of my neighbors are getting all new siding because there is no match. I am not getting all new siding because I have Erie insurance, according to the adjuster Erie does not care about matching. I was told to paint my siding. After 35 years Erie was not there when I needed them. If you have Erie drop it, if you do not have it don’t get it.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I Have a Claim with Erie insurance. Their insurer was at Fault. The car was total loss. We have been without car for over week. They will give you the runaround. I have been calling leaving messages. Even with the Supervisors. They will not call you back. They don't care that you are a victim. And will leave you stressed. And suffering.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I was involved in an accident with an Erie policyholder 6-19 and the driver of the other car was at fault of the accident. It been three weeks and I was told to call Erie to give a recorded statement. No luck on that task. I received a letter in the mail last three days ago with an agent contact information. Several messages, No luck either. I contacted my insurance company once again for help. Was told that Erie reps have not returned their calls either. As of 6-21-19 Erie still has not given any good feedback of the issue at hand.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Don't buy their insurance if you plan on ever being out of their coverage. Was in a state they didn't insure. Still going round and round after they totaled the car out. Can't get the rental they promised me. Can't even get them to send me the information for the claim. Only speedy thing of this was they got someone to look at my car in 2 business days. Didn't even allow me the option to buy back the car (which at this point I don't want). Between flood and hail damage the car is getting worse by the day as the water it was in is starting to destroy the electronics on the car.

Over the weekend I lost a head light to a melted socket, yesterday lost a turn signal to a melted socket. A 2 tone horn only has 1 tone and the blue tooth module is shot. Then a windshield that is horseshoed around and getting worse by the day. But promised a call on Thursday and today is Tuesday afternoon. And if I call and try to talk to anyone but my adjuster they are useless and tell me I need to speak with my adjuster.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Thankfully, we haven't had to submit many claims for auto accidents. However, when we did they were right on the spot. Everything was handled efficiently & courteously. Our agent is always available & a pleasure to deal with.

Original review: May 13, 2019

So we had a car break down and we went to rent a car meanwhile, My fiancé rented it under my insurance. She hit a deer a week later and Erie does not want to cover it because it was not a personal vehicle, because it was rented they won't cover it (after hitting a deer). So much for comprehensive damage. Erie = Schemers. Stay away!!!

Original review: April 30, 2019

My wife and I have had Erie insurance for decades, and my parents also had them for decades. We filed this one claim on our RV for water damage due to the seal on one of the tips outs leaking on the floor causing the wood in one area to rot, and they won't cover it. We were told it was due to the seal was old. The adjuster never even looked at the seal. The camper is a 2006 and has been very well maintained. Why would we have been paying for insurance that includes water damage if they come up with an excuse like this. Very poor insurance company. We dropped them immediately. So they lost over 1,800 dollars a year from us over one claim. We haven't had any claims in 10 years or more. Would not recommend this scam company to anyone. Woman in charge of claim was very rude and unprofessional.

Resolution response: April 5, 2019

Erie apparently switched my claims adjuster without acknowledgement. We haven't spoken directly to the new person, but the car dealer called and said they had. So, the did approve the additional work after much harrassing calls and emails from me.

Original review: April 4, 2019

So we had an accident 2 months ago and things started out well enough. The initial repairs were completed and paid for by the insurance company. However, there was still an issue with the safety system in the vehicle that was also damaged in the accident. My claims adjuster advised me by email to get the work done and he would have it reimbursed. Well after having a small part of the work done a bigger issue was found. It's been 4 weeks and Erie representatives do not respond to email or phone calls about whether they will cover the additional work or even reimburse for what they promised to cover.

My adjuster has 2 phone numbers and both go straight to VM every day. I don't know if he died or what, so we also tried his associate and again no response at all. We even got our insurance broker involved again and she couldn't even get them to respond. I've been with Erie for over 20 years and never had an issue until now... But then again I've never had an at fault accident and still haven't... This was my wife!

Original review: April 2, 2019

If you have more than one ticket or have an OVI, don't expect Erie to keep your coverage - and don't expect after nearly 4 years of having no issues for them to even CONSIDER writing a policy for you. Stuck up comes to mind. Discrimination also comes to mind. When you think of Erie, think of "holier than thou". Because as soon as you slip up and show your human side, you're done. They want to make money collecting premiums. They are not in the business of actually having to have insurance claims come up. They just want the money.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I was involved in an accident (03/19/19) with one of their customers. My car is a total loss. They told me they cannot provide me with a rental car until they talk to their customer and see the accident report. It was their customer's fault. This company is a poor excuse for an insurance company. My car was paid for and cannot afford another car payment, but I guess I have no other choice with this company! They are dragging their feet.

Erie Auto Insurance Company Information