3.50/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 7, 2018

22 Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 7, 2018

I had to leave my doctor of 15 yrs because they make you go to a doctor that's in their list. Also I have to pay so much more out of pockets from getting labs done or just going to see a specialist. I really don't understand why I have to pay so much for PPO Insurance and can't go to the doctor of my choice. :(

Original review: March 14, 2018

I found it was very expensive and not really worth it. There were too many rules that had to be followed, there was always a wait between seeing your doctor and a specialist. Also I do not like being limited in my choices of anything medical - I want the doctor of my choosing not the doctor of my choosing from a limited list. Certain medications need to be approved - that is just wrong. It seems that you need to receive approval for everything from non-medical personnel. But I like not having to make a copay after every doctor's visit and to not having to make a copay for purchasing durable medical equipment. The medications were very cheap and that was a huge plus.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I like Cigna's responsiveness, sympathy and understanding when needed. They're very easy to talk to with concerns and or problems, helpful to figure out a solution in a somewhat timely manner and they're very respectful of privacy when explaining situations to them. But it can take a while to get answers or talk to someone on the phone, so more customer service is needed. I would highly recommend them to anyone seeking out this service.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Great Customer Service, Awesome Problem Solvers, Not overpriced! I always get to talk to a real person, and not just someone reading from a script, someone who wants to help, and is there to help. I've never dealt with a healthcare company that has been as easy to do business with as Cigna! They cover things that my Medicare doesn't cover thus lessening the frustration of being able to afford medications that I normally wouldn't be able to afford.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Cigna Medicare has horrible customer service. If you are considered poor they really don't care what you have to say. I've paid for insurance before and the experience was extremely different. Unless you have money and are paying everything needs to change. It's insane how poorly you are treated when you have no money. Everything there is to like or dislike, I dislike. They treat you like crap because they think they are above you. Yet again when I've had money the services are endless and customer service representatives are really nice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans?

Original review: March 9, 2018

I never ran into any problems with Cigna. If I had to change something it would have to be a shorter process for getting approved so people that wouldn't have to wait as long to get an answer to medical issues. But they have low deductibles and helpful customer service. Any time that I needed anything or had questions I could call the number and get all the help I needed. They have a 24/7 hotline that can be called so you never feel alone and unknowledgeable. Overall, it was a good company and I had great experience. The deductibles sometimes were higher than I expected but it was worth it having a great insurance company.

Original review: March 8, 2018

They are EXCELLENT. I have them and the insurance is great. They go out of their way for help and support. They have good customer service. I don't have to pay a lot to have them... and they don't have a high amount that I pay for prescriptions also, which would be the deductible. I think the most I spend is like 3.00. Though, I just wish they'd respond back a little faster sometimes. They make you wait for a response on your insurance problems or issues and sometimes most places want answers.

Original review: March 6, 2018

This company has been around a long time and served the insurer well, but I am finding it hard to say something good about insurance companies. Basically I have hard time giving money to companies that give very little back. They all are out to make money and they do. I could not pick this insurance. It is state-funded, but on the whole thing it is fairly good. However it does not pay all the co-pays. Were good at first but as of this year prices went up a lot. Very hard to pay on just social security.

Original review: March 3, 2018

The features of this company are very useful and I am very satisfied with them, in particular the customer support is outstanding and helpful and I have never had a problem that couldn't be resolved. And if I ever encountered a problem with them I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't be anything major. My overall experience with the company is very pleasant and I will continue to use it and I would be happy to recommend this company to others that are interested in similar services.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Cigna has very caring doctors and staff and I was extremely pleased with the services my children and I had received. I had an extremely great experience when I had Cigna as my health insurance provider and I have never been able to find any other health insurance like Cigna.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Cigna Medicare Supplement Insurance was the best choice of several insurance sites that I visited on my quest to examine which company that offered supplemental insurance. I only became eligible for Medicare the 1st of this month. So I haven't had much interaction with Cigna Medicare Supplement Insurance as of yet.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

If you love getting passed from one department to another with no one willing to provide information (even a simple quote) and telling you that you must wait for an agent to call, which of course never happens, then this is the company for you! Forgive the sarcasm. But really, the CEO of this company should be fired as everything from top to bottom seems arranged to stymie the customer. I only wanted information on Medicare Supplemental plans but had to be transferred to three different departments (and put on hold for lengthy periods) to discover that they had no one willing to help and I would have to wait for an agent to call which could take up to a week. I'd already been through this game so I can tell you that the agents do NOT call within a week. I'm not even sure they call at all. If you have a choice, I strongly recommend that you avoid Cigna.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Honestly, I love them ever so! Granted I’m at the platinum level plan, which itself isn’t cheap. But I’ve never had a problem with anything, they have also been most helpful in finding doctors or answering various questions. I recommend this plan to everyone that needs more thorough health care as they offer complete coverage worry free. I hope to be with them for many more years. I work for Starbucks and we <3 Cigna!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Most medicare services are up front with their rates without requiring personal data, Cigna not so much. The only rate I could get was a drug rate costing 35.00/month for someone who does not use any prescription drugs. I'm using someone else (AARP).

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

Good selection of providers to choose from. It was easy to get assistance by phone and without having much of a wait. Easy to understand benefits and what is covered or not necessarily covered. The insurance offered a variety of options, providers, for how to make payments, how to access your account (which can be done by phone, online, etc). Covered most things I ever needed. The customer service was always adequate, usually very friendly, and tried to be helpful. I did not have to contact them often, however all interactions I had were positive ones. The value is appropriate for the services received. I know many people who pay more for equal service and plan options. My family members were covered as well which is the most important thing.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

My dad used it before I did and it really helped him through his retirement. As long as I remembered I knew that it should help me just as much as it did him. They offered to work with me and help me out when I needed it. But I'm sure that it is good and I do honestly think my dad uses it for his retirement. My dad says that they really help him and he is glad that he has them. He always tells me about them helping. I am very thrilled about how much they help him out. The value is a very wonderful one. If you are thinking about getting this I am sure that you would be just as happy too. Don't just take my word for it.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I appreciated that whenever there were any issues such as while at the pharmacy to pick up medications that they (the pharmacy staff contacting my insurance and whomever they spoke with) were able to provide help in reaching a solution more times than not. If a solution wasn't attainable, either due to insurance hurdles or my financial situation, it was easily made understandable to me without these explanations in medical/insurance jargon.

Not Extremely expensive in most cases relating to many areas in which insurance was needed or used. Communication not too complicated and explained as simple as possible. Although there are some areas of which I would choose differently if possible the customer service itself was quite decent. Wait times I experienced on the telephone usually were pretty reasonable. The representatives I encountered seemed to genuinely take a interest in the reason for my contacting them as well as offering solutions to fix specific situations that had arisen.

It would be nice if there were insurance companies out there that were a lot more affordable for me. I understand they have a business to run. Being on a fixed income means I have to take every EVERYTHING into consideration when it comes to financial related areas. Although it was manageable, it wasn't always easily manageable and it could have taken a lot of stress off my mind if, from time to time, I didn't have to financially shift this and that here and there in order to maintain my health and procure the things my primary care physician and at times hospital doctors concluded was needed in order to maintain the best interest of myself and health.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

They seem to understand how my heart needs to be fixed, they have been more than willing to help me timely to make sure I am covered. I wasn't sure how this would work out with supplement insurance however it has be fantastic. They offer me a family practice doctor. I also have the best cardiology doctor. After I was sent to specialist I will as soon as about the expenses I was told after my Deducted of 5000 was met all my medical bill. E pld at 100%. I have only lying spoken to customers service on two different occasions however both occasions it was a pleasure to talk with them. They addressed me as if I were a part of the family. I guess this may be just a praise on my supplemental insurance because I think I have expressed how I feel and all my needs are currently being addressed.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

The extra features that come with the package are truly amazing, the extra help that is given if needed. The different packages they offer to help you pick the extra features as well. The insurance offerings that are included are truly something special, the discounts that are added, the coupons that are given out truly help as well. This is something I would definitely recommend to others. The customer service aspect is truly astounding. They are very warm, friendly and inviting. They are never impatient but truly get down to the root of the question to answer you. The value of having this type of insurance is very beneficial. It pays for itself basically with the discounts, the customer service, the additional service. It's truly a great value.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I appreciate your patience and understanding of what I need. My family is very appreciative of your service. Taking time to thank you is the best I can do. Thanks so much. I am happy with the service and dedication the offerings provides. My family can be intuitive and happy to receive such wonderful service. Thank you for your consideration. Thank you for your service. There is not one other company that I would need to be there to handle my coverage. Thank you in advance for the opportunity to be in your number. Great job.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

One of the best supplemental plans out there. The features cannot be beat and they really care about their customers. I know I'm not getting ripped off with them. This insurance company offers a wide variety of doctors and benefit options allowing for you to stay comfortable and happy with your doctors and care. This insurance company really goes above and beyond to make their customers happy! I am so pleased with the knowledgeable and caring staff. This insurance company truly cares about their clients. They don't try to take all your money like the insurance companies. The co-pays are reasonable and so are the deductibles.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

The coverage did not cover what I had hoped it would. I ended up paying more out of pocket than I had hoped. Somewhat disappointed in the offering. The customer support staff was always professional and quick to respond. They took the time to understand my issue and made sure that my issue was resolved. It thought the value versus what I had paid for the product was off. For what I had paid I should have received better overall coverage. Too expensive!!!

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Cigna Supplemental Benefits is a part of the Cigna family with policies underwritten by American Retirement Life Insurance Company and Loyal American Life Insurance Company. The company was established in 1982 and currently has more than 15 million health insurance customers.

• Other Medicare coverage: In addition to offering Medigap insurance, Cigna also sells Medicare Part D, or prescription drug coverage, and Medicare Advantage plans. Consumers cannot have both a Medigap plan and a Medicare Advantage plan, so Cigna agents can talk to interested consumers about the differences and which choice might be right for them.

• Customer service: Interested consumers can reach a customer service representative 12 hours a day on weekdays or live chat with them online during those same hours. Existing customers can also reach agents during extended business hours on weekdays or access their account online 24 hours a day.

• Best for: Cigna is best for seniors, retirees and people with qualifying disabilities, especially those who want help choosing the best plan for them.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Company Information