3.70/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

48 Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have been a customer of Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance for over a year. My payment comes out of my checking account automatically monthly to Cigna. I had changed my bank account because of fraudulent activity so contacted Cigna to let them know of the change and the representative told me she would put in the 28th as payment date. They would send out paperwork. I also could go online to make the change. I did that but put in the 1st as the date to take premium out. At that time, I had forgotten that the 28th was put in. So on 6/28 a payment was taken out and on 7/5 a payment was taken out.

So I called Cigna to tell them what happened and if I could please get a credit of the payment on 7/5 and leave the payment date to 6/28. They would not do it! I explained I was on a limited income and needed that money. But they did not care. So I have requested a cancellation. Cigna does not care for their customers especially senior citizens on limited incomes! So sad and disappointing!!

Original review: June 10, 2018

I had a fairly good experience with them. I had no major issues and it was easy to find doctors that expected the insurance. My co pay wasnt too much and I didnt really have to pay much money out of pocket after visiting the doctors. When I had questions the 1-800 was very easy to use. Not every doctor expects the coverage though.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

It is a responsible company that has helped my family and me alike in the search for medicines and supplements for my condition. They have not let me down. Their quality and ethics when working and their products are priceless for users who uses them for various purposes. They maintain high standards of quality in their products and services, so that they reach the user who has trusted them completely. Their products leave nothing to be desired.

Original review: June 8, 2018

All Medicare companies need to act as though they care about their customers' quality of life. Cigna was less than adequate compared to private insurance and was more restricting. I was only thankful to have an option besides having to pay out of pocket for expensive medications.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Cigna has been Useful at supplementing the money I needed in beyond what was covered by normal insurance to ensure that I could live a productive normal and healthy life. I like that Cigna keeps all information readily available and that things are meticulously kept track of. Additionally, their customer service was great but I was on hold for a long time a few instances. Nevertheless, I like the company since the other ones had higher deductibles and hassled me over the phone making me feel bad about needing financial help. It felt nice not to be condescended.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans?

Original review: June 6, 2018

Cigna Medicare has been really good for someone like me. I shopped around and chose Cigna Medicare based on what my friends suggested. It's easy for me to navigate on their site and chose the provider I need in my area. Billing is easy to figure out and I still receive physical mail. They're also really easy to deal with over the phone. I like that when I go to the doctors, they're familiar with my insurance and it is easy.

Original review: June 5, 2018

The program Health Net Sapphire has many benefits for its members like free transportation to doctors appointments, unlimited GIM pass with Silver Snickers program. It's designed for seniors disabled people like me that need the best health insurance in the market today. Everything that the program stands for and includes is perfect for persons like me that needs rides to my appointments and also need to take advantage of the gym program SilverSneakers. I like all about the Health Net company. All the member benefits like $500 in credit for any custom glasses of your choice, rides to and from doctor's office up to 100 rides a year.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Hands down best one I've had. They are all extremely educated when talking to someone on the phone. They answer all your questions in a quick and timely manner. However, when getting my prescription filled they needed more information than what I had on my insurance card. But if you have an issue they fix it on the spot and don't have an issue facing information to doctors or business to prescribe medicines. I will keep using Cigna!

Original review: June 2, 2018

It was a great company to use. I love them because they are so caring, helpful and very selfless. The service and price are amazing. This company is highly recommended and I love knowing that if I need them they are always there for me. I would recommend this to any and everyone who is looking for quality service at a great price.

Original review: May 31, 2018

They are a well established company with a great reputation for service and products. They have lived up to their reputation with how they have made dealing with them enjoyable and productive for me and my family. They have met all my needs. I like the great variety of services and quality products that they offer at competitive prices and a wide range of services to fit everyone needs and they are there for you when you need them. Easy to deal with at all times. The only complaint I have is like all insurance companies they have way too much paperwork to fill out and most time it is not done digitally, it would be much more convenient to have access to do it online so you could do it at you own convenience.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Cigna has been very supportive and I really appreciate their customer service. Whenever I contact their office with questions, their customer service representatives are very professional, courteous, and informative, and they answer all of my questions fully. Overall, I am very satisfied with their company. However, the scope of the services is very vast, and sometimes I get confused about whenever a procedure is covered under my plan or not. However, I can call their customer support to get the answers I need.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Cigna is always on top of the game and ready to go above and beyond when needed and to get you the best of your service and health. I like that you get 1 yearly check with blood work for free and they will help you get what you need when you need it. They are loyal people. They are online when I need them to answer questions or if I just want to view my account. But I wish they would layout what services you can get, how often it is and the copay amount.

Original review: May 26, 2018

There are many plans to choose from making it very flexible. But pricing not the best. Lowering price will attract more customers for sure. Great choice for Medicare supplement insurance. Willing to help people out when needed. Helpful customer representation on call whenever about paying for meds. Free quotes available for new people.

Original review: May 25, 2018

They are professional and provide ok service and I never had an issue. I see myself as continue to use Cigna Medicare unless they change services. The experience is one I like and would tell other about. The price are affordable and I like the rate they offer it for and use them often. All of their feature are acceptable to me and no real reason to not use them. However, I cannot pick which doctor I like to use have a list that use them as insurance providers.

Original review: May 24, 2018

It was very helpful because I didnt have a clue what I needed. I was walked with it all explaining the different companies and the different grades with the many deductibles and copayments. The person on the other line was very patient and willing to take the time for me to write down all the information then we discussed which plan would be the most important.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My experience was pretty good, I did not receive it for very long because I got it through my former employer. I really liked Cigna’s prices and their plans were pretty good as well. I was really impressed with what all they included in their coverage plan. They also had single and family plans as well. But I cannot get the same plan now that I do not work for that company anymore.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I like their ideas on the Medicare program and how it works. Their ideas on Medicare have been the most insightful ideas on Medicare that I've heard of. The overall satisfaction I've had with the company has been a great experience for the past twenty years it's always been wonderful.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I like that they have features like vision or dental insurance on top of what they normal offer, their rates are great and affordable in my eyes! They have a great brand reputation and fantastic online reviews. The overall experience with the health insurance by Cigna is just positive in my position. The customer service is great and outstanding. I get right away a respond if its online or via phone, very friendly service and always very helpful with any questions I have.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I thought Cigna was decent but most of the dentists and doctors refused to take it. I wasn't too disappointed at them. Though most didn't take the insurance other companies did. I likes that a lot actually. It was my favorite part about Cigna. Many people would talk down on it but I like it. I would change Cigna to be more flexible and eligible with most dentists and doctor hospitals.

Original review: April 29, 2018

It has good customer service but the claim process is slow sometimes. It took more than 2 months to finish processing the claim which is kind of annoying. Some of the staff is not very knowledgeable although they are nice. But I like their online feature and customer service picks up the phone is fast. The company is growing and becomes more popular in my area. I will continue using their services.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I don't go to the doctors much and I've only ever been to the emergency room once in the last 10 years. I honestly don't think I really need insurance and I just have it as a precaution for future problems. I've gone to the doctors a few times and had to get prescription and most of it is on a discount because of my insurance. Also, I like that I can get a free check up every year and how low my yearly deductible is.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Cigna Medicare is a great choice I made and really enjoying the benefits. The processing of claims were faster. The response time for any support calls is good. Also the doctors network is high and we could consult with all the specialist providers as well. I like the claim processing, detailed billing, customer support, great seasonal updates, wider coverage, less copay. It offers great pharmacy coverage as well for drugs.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I always had issues when it came to what services were offered and customer service being so unprofessional. But after a while they turned out to be a okay company after all. I like the convenience of the doctors in the area and being able to get customer service when I need them. They are good at helping people cope with their stress and anxiety issues. However, I would change how Cigna's customer service takes calls and talks to the clients. There should be more professional persons behind the phones to help people when they call in.

Original review: April 25, 2018

It was great in the beginning. The main thing that I like is no copay for my primary care physicians. But as time went on everything changed. They went up on how much they paid towards my meds, stop paying one of my specialist, paid less towards other specialist, stopped paying anything or paying less towards my prescriptions. A lot of Dr's have stopped accepting this insurance. I always received very vague answers to questions when I called to ask questions. The company also raised my deductible towards prescriptions & did not inform me.

The company should pay more towards certain prescriptions such as asthma inhalers, certain heart medications, cough medicines, hospital stays, emergency room visits, specialist and always use the same set prices on the prescriptions filled at the same pharmacy from one month to the next month. I loved the company, but its hard to respect a company that doesn't appear to care for it consumers., address the issues with the consumer instead of talking to the consumer as if they are wasting their time.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The copays at Cigna are too high and so are the monthly payments. Sometimes, I can't even afford to go to the doctor. While customer service is good, things such as survey isn't covered. However, the overall health insurance is accepted by all of my doctors. Sometimes, I get a break with doctor visits and emergency services. They are also good with getting medical supplies. So far Cigna is getting me by until I can find a more affordable option but I would still like the copays and premium to be cheaper.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Cigna helps me cover medicine that was not cover by my insurance, they pay me back for the amount I had to pay out, and the amount of my drugs through them was cheap. But the amount I had to pay Cigna back was still way too much. Also, it was a hassle to get my payment from them. I'm supposed to pay all my copays and they are suppose to pay me back, but it was like pulling tooth from a dog. But I was happy with them as long as they did what they were suppose to.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had to leave my doctor of 15 yrs because they make you go to a doctor that's in their list. Also I have to pay so much more out of pockets from getting labs done or just going to see a specialist. I really don't understand why I have to pay so much for PPO Insurance and can't go to the doctor of my choice. :(

Original review: March 14, 2018

I found it was very expensive and not really worth it. There were too many rules that had to be followed, there was always a wait between seeing your doctor and a specialist. Also I do not like being limited in my choices of anything medical - I want the doctor of my choosing not the doctor of my choosing from a limited list. Certain medications need to be approved - that is just wrong. It seems that you need to receive approval for everything from non-medical personnel. But I like not having to make a copay after every doctor's visit and to not having to make a copay for purchasing durable medical equipment. The medications were very cheap and that was a huge plus.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I like Cigna's responsiveness, sympathy and understanding when needed. They're very easy to talk to with concerns and or problems, helpful to figure out a solution in a somewhat timely manner and they're very respectful of privacy when explaining situations to them. But it can take a while to get answers or talk to someone on the phone, so more customer service is needed. I would highly recommend them to anyone seeking out this service.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Great Customer Service, Awesome Problem Solvers, Not overpriced! I always get to talk to a real person, and not just someone reading from a script, someone who wants to help, and is there to help. I've never dealt with a healthcare company that has been as easy to do business with as Cigna! They cover things that my Medicare doesn't cover thus lessening the frustration of being able to afford medications that I normally wouldn't be able to afford.

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Cigna Supplemental Benefits is a part of the Cigna family with policies underwritten by American Retirement Life Insurance Company and Loyal American Life Insurance Company. The company was established in 1982 and currently has more than 15 million health insurance customers.

• Other Medicare coverage: In addition to offering Medigap insurance, Cigna also sells Medicare Part D, or prescription drug coverage, and Medicare Advantage plans. Consumers cannot have both a Medigap plan and a Medicare Advantage plan, so Cigna agents can talk to interested consumers about the differences and which choice might be right for them.

• Customer service: Interested consumers can reach a customer service representative 12 hours a day on weekdays or live chat with them online during those same hours. Existing customers can also reach agents during extended business hours on weekdays or access their account online 24 hours a day.

• Best for: Cigna is best for seniors, retirees and people with qualifying disabilities, especially those who want help choosing the best plan for them.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Company Information

www.cigna.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business