Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement
3.31/5

Protect against the unexpected

Does medicare cover all your needs? Learn about supplemental plans.

Select my supplement

55 Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2019

I purchased a supplemental policy with Cigna through my job as a teacher 6 years ago. I paid $47.00 a month to this company in case of a critical illness (heart attack, stroke, etc.). Unfortunately, I had a stroke October 16, 2018. The company refuses to pay the $5000.00 rider stating I had the wrong type of stroke. Instead, they stated they are sending me a check for $161.00 for the cash value of the policy. Beware of this company (read the very fine print). It seems they will find an excuse not to pay.

Original review: May 2, 2019

WELL I STARTED in 2014 in the beginning all the way to November of 2018. Everything was fine. The drug I was taken for my prostate have got a Genetic So immediately without any advice was send Genetic. This loser send me that I almost end on Emergency that night. My Dr Wrote and was authorize brand name. (attach scan of letter) Of course the Pharmacy say my Dr don't Know how to write Prescription, so after I told my Dr that he send another Of course the beautiful people from HOME DELIVERY IGNORED AGAIN. WELL BY NOW I am 90 pills behind, well they return my 1.25 for my Genetics, I did not get nothing I have pay my insurance, but did not get medication, next refill the same, I have pay 3 moths of insurance but no medication.

Today I have to Wait until May 17 to get Postal Pharmacy to refill my meds. They have collect for six months without giving me my med. "Go somewhere else." That is what some of their own people have say. I do not know if you comprehend, what I have says don't get stuck here like me, like they say GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. I have call this place some time three times in one day. I don't think they have the best interest on you. Go somewhere else. You have the right. That was what that loser told me. So I repeat, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. LUIS **.

Get expert buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Hammond, La 70403 Cigna Supplemental Benefits, I was contacted (on my work cellphone) by Paula ** on 03/21/18. She informed me that I needed to sign up for Medicare before I actually turned 65. She talked to me briefly and lead me to believe that I was actually signing up for original Medicare (A&B). Due to lack of knowledge and not being educated on the many parts of Medicare, I gave her some of my information. She already knew as much about me as I do. I was receiving online bank statements at the time.

My laptop screen cracked. I had no means to check my acct. I went to S.S. office on 09/18/2018 to check on status because I had not gotten verification/cards. I wasn’t signed up for A or B Medicare. I went to bank and requested to start receiving paper statements again. When I reviewed the first paper statement, I saw Cigna Arlic charges and I was puzzled. I had just paid 4 months to CMS with a check. Another trip to the SS office was necessary. I was told that Cigna Arlic had nothing to do with original Medicare. I went to my bank and stopped the ACH. Unfortunately, my ignorance and trust in Paula ** had led to multiple charges before I realized the problem. I was credited for December 145.01.

I am requesting that my money be refunded for 09/06, 10/03,11/05 of 2018 in the amount of $455.03. I was mislead/scammed by Paula **, agent for Cigna Supplemental Benefits. I did go through some old mail and found a booklet from Cigna Supplemental Benefits. I didn’t really inspect it. I should have but again, I trusted Paula **. I put it in a folder and just waited for my cards to arrive in the mail. Upon discovering all of her deceitful tactics, I began to review it a little more. The contact email address, Medicare #, health ins provider dates, etc. is not correct. She put what she wanted in the booklet. However, it does state that “Individual must be enrolled in Medicare A&B in order for the policy to be issued.” I am submitting verification of my enrollment in Original Medicare (A&B). I have contacted the BBB and I will diligently continue to pursue this matter.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This insurance company ignored Medicare protocols for level of care admissions for authorizing appropriate inpatient services for physical and occupational therapy rehabilitation after a patient I am currently serving as a medical and financial POA for. After diminished physical fine and large motor skills due to chemotherapy side effects this insurance refused to pay for appropriate level of care in order to build her up to a self sustaining level. They placed her in a facility with low level care services and after two days I was informed that she would be self pay within 5 additional days. She had a TOTAL of 3 1/2 in that 7 days.

I was informed by facility that Cigna would not authorize more hours. I filed 2 appeals with the source CIGNA told me that I could use. Both failed. The appeal process was all to protect Cigna. Now I am going to Medicare to report them. By the way at once we were SELF PAY therapy improved immensely. If I need to I will go to our Senator to get our money back. When someone works for over 50 years they deserve better!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Updated on 03/17/2019: This is a follow up on my below complaint of 12 29 18. They have now refused to pay me. They said I had verbally agreed to buy their insurance per below in phone conversation. (I don't know- don't have their phone recording. Say they'll send it.) I said go ahead to #2 and they said in #3 I had 30 days to cancel. I said to them, "Download your info in #2 as in if you want to but 'I don't care'." At any rate it was a deceptive way to obtain a contract when the clear simple way would be to have me sign or not sign a contract mailed to me. At any rate they knew or should always try to find out if I already had a supplemental insurer which I did. So their policy did me no good. Don't know what my legal grounds are. But this is a scam.

Can't remember how I got in contact with them. Agent said she just wanted a little information - ended up being 20 minutes worth, 2) then told me they'd download extensive information to my yahoo account, 3) then sent me more information in mail unrequested by me. I never signed a thing. In fact I recall that at some point I told agent I did not like her hard sell and believe even said, "I reject any policy from you." They record all their phone calls. Anyhow about 8 months later I checked my bank account and found they had been billing my account $117/month for that many months. Called them and they have agreed to return my money. Said I had made a verbal contract.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I called Cigna today for my dad who is very hard of hearing. He wanted to pay an annual premium and not monthly. I called the head office and I could not believe what they told me. He will be billed ** per month but I said I want to pay for a year. They quoted me a number and it is $1.30 higher than if he paid by the month. I then talked to a supervisor who told me if he paid ** then he would save .24 cents a month. I said, "No. He should be saving 2 or 3 hundred dollars a month." And she finally said, "We do not offer that option." I wasted 45 minutes trying to get that answer.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I applied for Cigna Medigap insurance. I have not been in the hospital since my last child was born 35 years ago. I have had one doctor visit in the past year. I had a flare of polymyalgia rheumatica (last flare was 15 years ago). As a result, I took a low dose of **, tapering it over 6 months, currently down to 1/2 mg, due to be off it in a month. I was denied coverage for this. I had a phone consult with someone with no medical knowledge (I asked). Very disappointed!!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have been a customer of Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance for over a year. My payment comes out of my checking account automatically monthly to Cigna. I had changed my bank account because of fraudulent activity so contacted Cigna to let them know of the change and the representative told me she would put in the 28th as payment date. They would send out paperwork. I also could go online to make the change. I did that but put in the 1st as the date to take premium out. At that time, I had forgotten that the 28th was put in. So on 6/28 a payment was taken out and on 7/5 a payment was taken out.

So I called Cigna to tell them what happened and if I could please get a credit of the payment on 7/5 and leave the payment date to 6/28. They would not do it! I explained I was on a limited income and needed that money. But they did not care. So I have requested a cancellation. Cigna does not care for their customers especially senior citizens on limited incomes! So sad and disappointing!!

Original review: June 10, 2018

I had a fairly good experience with them. I had no major issues and it was easy to find doctors that expected the insurance. My co pay wasnt too much and I didnt really have to pay much money out of pocket after visiting the doctors. When I had questions the 1-800 was very easy to use. Not every doctor expects the coverage though.

Original review: June 9, 2018

It is a responsible company that has helped my family and me alike in the search for medicines and supplements for my condition. They have not let me down. Their quality and ethics when working and their products are priceless for users who uses them for various purposes. They maintain high standards of quality in their products and services, so that they reach the user who has trusted them completely. Their products leave nothing to be desired.

Original review: June 8, 2018

All Medicare companies need to act as though they care about their customers' quality of life. Cigna was less than adequate compared to private insurance and was more restricting. I was only thankful to have an option besides having to pay out of pocket for expensive medications.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Cigna has been Useful at supplementing the money I needed in beyond what was covered by normal insurance to ensure that I could live a productive normal and healthy life. I like that Cigna keeps all information readily available and that things are meticulously kept track of. Additionally, their customer service was great but I was on hold for a long time a few instances. Nevertheless, I like the company since the other ones had higher deductibles and hassled me over the phone making me feel bad about needing financial help. It felt nice not to be condescended.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Cigna Medicare has been really good for someone like me. I shopped around and chose Cigna Medicare based on what my friends suggested. It's easy for me to navigate on their site and chose the provider I need in my area. Billing is easy to figure out and I still receive physical mail. They're also really easy to deal with over the phone. I like that when I go to the doctors, they're familiar with my insurance and it is easy.

Original review: June 5, 2018

The program Health Net Sapphire has many benefits for its members like free transportation to doctors appointments, unlimited GIM pass with Silver Snickers program. It's designed for seniors disabled people like me that need the best health insurance in the market today. Everything that the program stands for and includes is perfect for persons like me that needs rides to my appointments and also need to take advantage of the gym program SilverSneakers. I like all about the Health Net company. All the member benefits like $500 in credit for any custom glasses of your choice, rides to and from doctor's office up to 100 rides a year.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Hands down best one I've had. They are all extremely educated when talking to someone on the phone. They answer all your questions in a quick and timely manner. However, when getting my prescription filled they needed more information than what I had on my insurance card. But if you have an issue they fix it on the spot and don't have an issue facing information to doctors or business to prescribe medicines. I will keep using Cigna!

Original review: June 2, 2018

It was a great company to use. I love them because they are so caring, helpful and very selfless. The service and price are amazing. This company is highly recommended and I love knowing that if I need them they are always there for me. I would recommend this to any and everyone who is looking for quality service at a great price.

Original review: May 31, 2018

They are a well established company with a great reputation for service and products. They have lived up to their reputation with how they have made dealing with them enjoyable and productive for me and my family. They have met all my needs. I like the great variety of services and quality products that they offer at competitive prices and a wide range of services to fit everyone needs and they are there for you when you need them. Easy to deal with at all times. The only complaint I have is like all insurance companies they have way too much paperwork to fill out and most time it is not done digitally, it would be much more convenient to have access to do it online so you could do it at you own convenience.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Cigna has been very supportive and I really appreciate their customer service. Whenever I contact their office with questions, their customer service representatives are very professional, courteous, and informative, and they answer all of my questions fully. Overall, I am very satisfied with their company. However, the scope of the services is very vast, and sometimes I get confused about whenever a procedure is covered under my plan or not. However, I can call their customer support to get the answers I need.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Cigna is always on top of the game and ready to go above and beyond when needed and to get you the best of your service and health. I like that you get 1 yearly check with blood work for free and they will help you get what you need when you need it. They are loyal people. They are online when I need them to answer questions or if I just want to view my account. But I wish they would layout what services you can get, how often it is and the copay amount.

Original review: May 26, 2018

There are many plans to choose from making it very flexible. But pricing not the best. Lowering price will attract more customers for sure. Great choice for Medicare supplement insurance. Willing to help people out when needed. Helpful customer representation on call whenever about paying for meds. Free quotes available for new people.

Original review: May 25, 2018

They are professional and provide ok service and I never had an issue. I see myself as continue to use Cigna Medicare unless they change services. The experience is one I like and would tell other about. The price are affordable and I like the rate they offer it for and use them often. All of their feature are acceptable to me and no real reason to not use them. However, I cannot pick which doctor I like to use have a list that use them as insurance providers.

Original review: May 24, 2018

It was very helpful because I didnt have a clue what I needed. I was walked with it all explaining the different companies and the different grades with the many deductibles and copayments. The person on the other line was very patient and willing to take the time for me to write down all the information then we discussed which plan would be the most important.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My experience was pretty good, I did not receive it for very long because I got it through my former employer. I really liked Cigna’s prices and their plans were pretty good as well. I was really impressed with what all they included in their coverage plan. They also had single and family plans as well. But I cannot get the same plan now that I do not work for that company anymore.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I like their ideas on the Medicare program and how it works. Their ideas on Medicare have been the most insightful ideas on Medicare that I've heard of. The overall satisfaction I've had with the company has been a great experience for the past twenty years it's always been wonderful.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I like that they have features like vision or dental insurance on top of what they normal offer, their rates are great and affordable in my eyes! They have a great brand reputation and fantastic online reviews. The overall experience with the health insurance by Cigna is just positive in my position. The customer service is great and outstanding. I get right away a respond if its online or via phone, very friendly service and always very helpful with any questions I have.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I thought Cigna was decent but most of the dentists and doctors refused to take it. I wasn't too disappointed at them. Though most didn't take the insurance other companies did. I likes that a lot actually. It was my favorite part about Cigna. Many people would talk down on it but I like it. I would change Cigna to be more flexible and eligible with most dentists and doctor hospitals.

Original review: April 29, 2018

It has good customer service but the claim process is slow sometimes. It took more than 2 months to finish processing the claim which is kind of annoying. Some of the staff is not very knowledgeable although they are nice. But I like their online feature and customer service picks up the phone is fast. The company is growing and becomes more popular in my area. I will continue using their services.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I don't go to the doctors much and I've only ever been to the emergency room once in the last 10 years. I honestly don't think I really need insurance and I just have it as a precaution for future problems. I've gone to the doctors a few times and had to get prescription and most of it is on a discount because of my insurance. Also, I like that I can get a free check up every year and how low my yearly deductible is.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Cigna Medicare is a great choice I made and really enjoying the benefits. The processing of claims were faster. The response time for any support calls is good. Also the doctors network is high and we could consult with all the specialist providers as well. I like the claim processing, detailed billing, customer support, great seasonal updates, wider coverage, less copay. It offers great pharmacy coverage as well for drugs.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I always had issues when it came to what services were offered and customer service being so unprofessional. But after a while they turned out to be a okay company after all. I like the convenience of the doctors in the area and being able to get customer service when I need them. They are good at helping people cope with their stress and anxiety issues. However, I would change how Cigna's customer service takes calls and talks to the clients. There should be more professional persons behind the phones to help people when they call in.

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Cigna Supplemental Benefits is a part of the Cigna family with policies underwritten by American Retirement Life Insurance Company and Loyal American Life Insurance Company. The company was established in 1982 and currently has more than 15 million health insurance customers.

• Other Medicare coverage: In addition to offering Medigap insurance, Cigna also sells Medicare Part D, or prescription drug coverage, and Medicare Advantage plans. Consumers cannot have both a Medigap plan and a Medicare Advantage plan, so Cigna agents can talk to interested consumers about the differences and which choice might be right for them.

• Customer service: Interested consumers can reach a customer service representative 12 hours a day on weekdays or live chat with them online during those same hours. Existing customers can also reach agents during extended business hours on weekdays or access their account online 24 hours a day.

• Best for: Cigna is best for seniors, retirees and people with qualifying disabilities, especially those who want help choosing the best plan for them.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Company Information