4.0/5 (361 ratings)

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

About Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans

Cigna is a coverage provider that offers Medicare supplemental insurance and Medicare Advantage plans for adults over 65. Its website has a quote tool to help you estimate your rates, and many of its flexible plans offer cost-free benefits. Most of its plans are HMOs, but it provides policies all throughout the U.S.

Top Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans?

Verified

It is a responsible company that has helped my family and me alike in the search for medicines and supplements for my condition. They have not let me down. Their quality and ethic...

Verified

It was a great company to use. I love them because they are so caring, helpful and very selfless. The service and price are amazing. This company is highly recommended and I love ...

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

About Cigna Medicare supplemental insurance

Cigna is a health insurance provider that offers cost-effective and straightforward Medicare supplements. It provides several different Medicare plans, including Medicare Advantage, for policyholders over 65. Its coverage features competitive rates, dependable service and various member programs and perks.

Cigna Medicare supplement plans

Cigna’s Medicare supplemental insurance, also referred to as Medigap, can help senior citizens pay for out-of-pocket expenses not covered by Medicare, such as certain deductibles, copays and coinsurance. Cigna’s website offers free quotes and comparisons for its Medicare supplement plan options, which include:

• Plan A
  • Plan F
  • Plan G
  • Plan N
  • High-deductible Plan F

Cigna’s Medicare Advantage plans provide all-in-one coverage, including Medicare Part A and Part B. Some of its Advantage plans also include dental and vision coverage. These plans come with flexible options (e.g., special needs coverage for those who qualify). Cigna also offers several no-cost programs with its Advantage plans, like behavioral and emotional support, case managers, health and wellness discounts, medication therapy management and more.

Cigna’s Part D prescription drug plans are ideal for those with prescriptions that require consistent upkeep. These plans feature low copays for prescriptions, an extensive network of pharmacies and extensive medication coverage. With this plan, you also receive BenefitsCheckup, which directs you to health and wellness discounts, programs that help cover health costs and more.

Cigna Medicare supplemental insurance costs

Cigna doesn’t have a set pricing structure, but its website has easy-to-use quoting tools that can give you a good idea of what you'll pay for a Medicare supplement. You’ll have to answer several questions about your situation and the type of coverage you want. Medicare supplemental insurance costs are based on many factors, including your location, age, how many doctors' visits you expect to make, coverage type and more.

For example, a quote for a 69-year-old in Phoenix, Arizona, comes to about $57.24 per month, or $687 per year, for a very basic HMO package that helps cover over-the-counter items and inpatient, skilled nursing facility, outpatient, mental health, emergency room and international care.

Cigna Medicare supplemental insurance FAQ

Where is Cigna Medicare supplemental insurance available?
Cigna is a global company and is available in all 50 states.
How do I qualify for Cigna Medicare supplemental insurance?
You have to enroll in Medicare to be eligible for Cigna’s Medicare supplements.
What coverage does Cigna provide?
Cigna offers health coverage for Medicare plans including supplemental insurance for Plans A, F, G and N.
Do Cigna’s Medicare supplements include Silver Sneakers?
Various Cigna locations may offer the Silver Sneakers program, but not all locations do. Contact your local representative to find out if the program is available to you.

Is Cigna good Medicare supplemental insurance?

Cigna seems to be a solid Medicare provider with plenty of coverage options for various lifestyles. If you’re eligible for Medicare and looking for flexible coverage with lots of perks and an emphasis on both physical and mental wellness, Cigna might be a good Medicare supplement choice for you.

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Seems to work flawlessly, although it’s odd that my supplement has a different deductible (higher) for the year than Medicare does. Medicare processing makes it all so easy and I get my report on payments making it clear.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

This is paid for by my pension and they have been excellent during last spring serious hospitalization. There was NO large balance due after Medicare and Cigna paid the bills. I have had NO complaints from the last 5 years.

Get buying tips about Medicare Supplemental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Cigna has the best plan that I researched. My RX for Inhaler was $80 cheaper than my last plan. I would recommend Cigna to any Medicare beneficiary. Never had any problems with claims. My doctor likes Cigna too.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

The plan I have has several riders which made it attractive to me. It is basically an 'F' plan. Customer service answered my questions and gave us a discount because my husband & I have the same plan. My husband is a type I diabetic & coverage has been very good.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I have plan F. It has a high monthly premium but I do not pay copays and have not had to pay anything additional for out of pocket screenings or diagnostic procedures such as EMG, echocardiogram, stress ECHO, ER admission etc. I think you pay one way or the other. I prefer paying upfront. I hope the premium flattens out.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I've been in a Medicare Advantage Plan for 5 months and am trying to understand my medical benefits. I have called customer service about 5 times with questions about referrals and copayments, specifically to find out if Cigna has different copayments for 'independent' facilities versus outpatient facilities for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. I'm familiar with other insurances using both and know that the copayments can be very different, depending on where you get the services done.

Every time I call Cigna, I feel completely dissatisfied and frustrated with the information I've been given and feel like I've wasted my time. The representatives seem very unknowledgable and are not able to provide any answer that's not straight off the website, which I've already read and called to get more details. The one rep thought I was asking about in network vs out of network copayments and then told me the copayment would be between 0 and $195! I finally had her look up a facility for me and she confirmed that the copayment there would be 0, but I have no confidence that she really knew or even understood my question. I asked another rep the same question and he said it depends on how it's coded and I'll know when I get the bill!

I've worked in customer service and know medical questions can be difficult because there's a lot of gray area, but I could usually rely on insurance companies giving me correct info. Cigna reps can't seem to answer basic questions. I feel like they haven't been trained other than told to just give info from the website. I feel like it's a waste of time to call them and usually feel worse after talking with them.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I don't know who it is writing good reviews of this company. The customer service is horrible. I just spent AN HOUR on the phone with 4 different people just to get the name of an imaging facility covered by the company. 4 people. And this is not the 1st time I've had trouble with them. I can't wait to be done with them. Open enrollment in Oct - just sorry I have to wait until 2022 to get rid of them.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I am absolutely unable to file claims for service paid out of pocket because forms are not available online and HOURS of telephone calls and promises by Cigna to mail forms have been unsuccessful. THE WORST!

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans response

Hello Lisa, I apologize for the troubles you have encountered. I would be happy to assist. Please email me at LetUsHelpU@Cigna.com. Thanks-DN

Original review: June 20, 2021

I learned that Cigna doesn't offer inhalers at Tier 1 or 2 levels. Be prepared to trigger the $445 Annual Deductible and expensive copays for Tier 3 and above medications needed to help you breathe. But the prize for price-gouging goes to the Brand and Generic medications which are priced at the same Tier 4 level. Before you enroll in a Cigna Part D Plan, find out which of your medications are Tier 3 and above... and if they are, perhaps you should shop your medications outside of the Cigna Medigap plans. Part of the problem is that CMS isn't policing Part D Plans aggressively enough. One Part D Plan might classify a drug as a Tier 2 while another one might classify it as Tier 3, 4 or not cover it at all.

In 2016 however, the U.S. government suspended new enrollment in Cigna Medicare Advantage health insurance and prescription drug plans, saying Cigna had “widespread and systemic failures”. CMS said Cigna did not handle complaints and grievances properly from patients who had been denied coverage for health benefits or drugs. Officials also found problems with its list of covered drugs and said it did not handle its requests for prior authorization and exceptions as it should have. Apparently, Cigna worked its way back into being a Medicare provider. Nevertheless, folks should be diligent and find out the exact copay --- every year --- for medications before enrollment ---every year during Medicare Open Enrollment October 1-December 7 annually. Nobody wants unwelcome surprises.

Original review: April 3, 2021

I have spent hours on the phone with many, many Cigna people trying to get Cigna to honor my Doctor's bills from 2020. First they denied because they said they were not my primary insurance. Previously I had been on my husband's Aetna plan from his employer. He retired 12/31/2019. And ironically, Cigna has been paying his bills. Cigna contacted Aetna and confirmed our coverage with Aetna ended on 9/29/2020. They finally paid my eye doctor after 3 months and 3 denials.

Another bill in dispute is from 10/2020. After several other calls and appeals filed, the last thing I was told was that the doctor didn't present the bill soon enough. This is **. The doctor had to resubmit since the initial request was denied because they thought we still had Aetna. I had no idea this was happening until I started receiving bills from my providers. This is ridiculous that my physicians are having to wait months to be paid. I am sick of Cigna and when I am able am going to switch companies.

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Company Information