3.9/5 (644 ratings)

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

About Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans

Cigna is a coverage provider that offers Medicare supplemental insurance and Medicare Advantage plans for adults over 65. Its website has a quote tool to help you estimate your rates, and many of its flexible plans offer cost-free benefits. Most of its plans are HMOs, but it provides policies all throughout the U.S.

Compare Medicare plans and pricing

Shop plans on Medicare.net

Get Started

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

Cigna has the best plan that I researched. My RX for Inhaler was $80 cheaper than my last plan. I would recommend Cigna to any Medicare beneficiary. Never had any problems with claims. My doctor likes Cigna too.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

The plan I have has several riders which made it attractive to me. It is basically an 'F' plan. Customer service answered my questions and gave us a discount because my husband & I have the same plan. My husband is a type I diabetic & coverage has been very good.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I have plan F. It has a high monthly premium but I do not pay copays and have not had to pay anything additional for out of pocket screenings or diagnostic procedures such as EMG, echocardiogram, stress ECHO, ER admission etc. I think you pay one way or the other. I prefer paying upfront. I hope the premium flattens out.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

When I signed up last year and call Cigna Medicare nobody could find me in the system. Most employees did not know what to do either. This year they did send me some of the information and the new cards but not for the dental and nothing for the vision. I will have to contact them again and hopefully I'm in the system. It's pretty bad I will change my insurance pretty soon.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

That Superior Vision is a big JOKE. Nobody takes Superior Vision thru Medicare, I called many places from what Superior Vision has on their website, nobody absolutely nobody takes those insurance, that is just a trick from Cigna, so you sign up. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

My prescriptions were not delivered by the mail order pharmacy. Cigna refused to allow my prescriptions to be refilled even though I had been without them for several days. They blamed PillPack (the mail order pharmacy) for holding up Cigna's refund and said they would not authorize the local pharmacist to refill the prescription until they were reimbursed. I was on the phone for over two hours in two separate calls. The first representative was very nice and obviously was trying to contact the various departments at Cigna. The second representative kept denying that Cigna was blocking the prescription even though that is what the pharmacist told me. They want me to call back again for a third hour.

Original review: July 4, 2020

One would think ** wouldn't be a problem for insurers. I didn't have a problem having it covered years ago from a different insurer. I recently signed up for Cigna's drug prescription plan under contract with Medicare. They declined to cover the $20 it cost me for my 30 day supply. Why? Because. That's right. No answer. ** is the -only- medication that would quickly cure my illness, yet they declined to cover it - without-explanation and it took them 3 days to do it. I paid for it out of pocket immediately because the pain I was in was physically debilitating. I am paying Cigna every month along with a substantial annual deductible, for them to decline the very first medication I desperately needed and was prescribed. I will seek other coverage.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

This insurance company cares nothing about people. They claim they do, but they really don't. Their "together all the way with you" marketing motto is such garbage, that it makes me sick! Besides it's not even true in actual execution. For example, my 87 year old grandmother is being denied coverage for a hip fracture, which Cigna is claiming isn't medically necessary. She needed X-rays at first, and will probably need to undergo a hip replacement surgery since it hasn't healed fully after almost 5 months. Cigna however, is saying that she does not need the hip replacement surgery because it is not medically necessary.

They claim that she just needs more time to allow the hip to heal, even though it's been 5 months of excruciating pain, on her part waiting for her hip to heal. Her primary care doctors say that she needs this surgery, her orthopedists also agree that a hip replacement surgery is medically necessary for her. Only Cigna is saying it isn't medically necessary though, just because they don't want to pay for the procedure. They're basically attempting to find any excuse not to cover it, even going so far as suggesting that the doctors misread the X-rays in the first place and that her hip isn't really broken.

I guess the bean counters at the insurance company know more about a patient's medical symptoms than qualified doctors do.... even though those same bean counters haven't even assessed my grandmother's health. This insurance company: Cigna is a total scam, not one I would recommend to anyone whose elderly relatives rely on compassionate and ethical medical coverage from a morally responsible insurance company. Cigna is none of the above: they are clearly not ethical, do not care about patients and show no compassion towards them, and have no moral compass whatsoever.

Do not enroll in medical coverage with Cigna, for any reasons. You will get taken for a ride and basically swindled out of your insurance premium dollars and the company will refuse to stand behind the same insurance products and services it offers to the public. My grandmother is going to end up losing everything she has now, and simply because this greedy insurance company: Cigna wants to save a few dollars at the expense of an elderly woman's health and medical care. And hopefully the company won't try to whitewash everything either, for example "I'm sorry to hear about your negative experiences, let me look into this for you...."

No way, don't believe it for one minute either! This company: Cigna had countless opportunities to "look into this matter all along" and make things right for my 87 year old grandmother (who is unable to write this review herself because of her severe arthritis). But still, don't believe Cigna's cliched responses for any reason. They only post standard "sorry to hear about your bad experiences" type reviews to try to minimize the impact of the bad publicity. Just don't fall for it though, don't fall for their tricks of exercising major damage control to minimize the impact of the bad publicity. This company is terrible, has no morals or scruples, and their business (especially their Medicare plans) thrive on taking advantage of the elderly. Please don't say that you weren't forewarned before signing up with them...

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

They covered nothing, and then had the nerve to charge me for renewal when I did not do so. Then had the nerve to say they could do so, Avoid at all costs, this is an expensive ripoff. They refused to refund the money they had charged me after I had cancelled my coverage and I was forced to go to my bank and put a stop payment.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Every time I turn around this company adds a cost & deductible. It is my opinion that if you pay for insurance it should be for the customer. Thus, I see commercials of them paying most likely exorbitant fees for Hollywood actor/actresses to sell them. I for one, get turned off as common sense should tell customers that this is a crock as these people can afford just about any cost. They are a joke. Additionally, if this were to be put aside those fees may help lower the deductibles and costs of the plans. If you work, you are able to keep up with fees, when retired. Try it!!! And even having the plan is not a guarantee of covered expenses. They can choose. Also, a board of doctors choosing what you get for your health is obnoxious. They do not know each patient individually!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

New to Cigna. Will go into effect 10/1/19. So far great customer service. All G plans are the same however Cigna has the best premium out there and holds that premium for the policy year unlike others who find ways to up your premium like inflation.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

They pay my bills and there is no hassle. If it was not for this coverage I would be bankrupt. It really is a life saver. When I go to my Doctor there is no Co-pay at all. I have had no billing problem and all my doctors accept the coverage.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I have Cigna true my work, but the cost are too much. They working with cheap doctors. The medication cost a lot of money. More money I make more I have to pay. I can't now but medication in other places only at walgreens.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I make payments through my Employer for this insurance and finally needed it because I had 2 surgeries it was 3 weeks for the first surgery and that spilled into the time for the other one both combined 7 weeks. It took 3 weeks to get my first check which was sent to my old address that took another week. They approved me up to a week before I was to return to work. A lot of my Bill's fell behind and it really kept me on edge because couldn't estimate when I would receive them. It has been a very stressful time for me. I hope that no one else has to go through this. Hopefully your experience will go better than mine did.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Cigna plan f covers everything that medicare pays for and there is no out of pocket expenses. There are no co-pays either. It does not cover medications so you would have to have some sort of coverage separately.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I was surprised to find that my coverage after retirement was actually better for less cost than when I worked in healthcare. The donut hole for prescriptions is the real problem. They have been saying for about a decade that it will change but in the meantime it’s a real problem.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I have never had a prescribed drug not go through yet that I needed on the higher end of the tiers of drugs. They always process things efficiently and are thorough with the things they send about your account and spending each month.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Cigna was great until they decided to no longer cover me due to pre-existing conditions. Honestly? I look forward to the dissolution of the entire health insurance industry. These are parasitic organizations that provide no real value to the consumer. We simply rely on them because they have hacked into our governmental systems and forced their way into our lives whilst simultaneously lobbying against civilized public options for single payer healthcare. I'll never use Cigna again, and i also look forward to firing my SE Asian health insurance company as soon as my country achieves a modicum of democratic representation and healthcare for its populous.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

They are the worst company ever, rude, and insensitive and liars. Their customer service is subpar, their supervisors are incompetent and useless, they have no empathy, and no one should ever use them at all.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Cigna is a great plan and excellent value except for one thing, their association with SilverScript. We do not have anywhere near what other people our age have in prescriptions but we pay as much or more than any of them. The stop gap on this plan is too low and the out-of-pocket after that is way out of line for any senior on fixed income.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

A good supplement policy, I need a policy that covers vision and dental visits. I am told that there is such coverage available, just finding the right policy. There is advertisement on television about some new coverage that has come To being.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have had this supplement for about two years. I have had two ankle surgeries and an abdominal surgery and I have paid NOTHING, CIGNA covered everything that Medicare did not. I do have a monthly premium but it is nothing compared to what the excess from the surgeries would have been. I never even receive bills as it is taken care of very expeditiously.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I purchased a supplemental policy with Cigna through my job as a teacher 6 years ago. I paid $47.00 a month to this company in case of a critical illness (heart attack, stroke, etc.). Unfortunately, I had a stroke October 16, 2018. The company refuses to pay the $5000.00 rider stating I had the wrong type of stroke. Instead, they stated they are sending me a check for $161.00 for the cash value of the policy. Beware of this company (read the very fine print). It seems they will find an excuse not to pay.

Original review: May 2, 2019

WELL I STARTED in 2014 in the beginning all the way to November of 2018. Everything was fine. The drug I was taken for my prostate have got a Genetic So immediately without any advice was send Genetic. This loser send me that I almost end on Emergency that night. My Dr Wrote and was authorize brand name. (attach scan of letter) Of course the Pharmacy say my Dr don't Know how to write Prescription, so after I told my Dr that he send another Of course the beautiful people from HOME DELIVERY IGNORED AGAIN. WELL BY NOW I am 90 pills behind, well they return my 1.25 for my Genetics, I did not get nothing I have pay my insurance, but did not get medication, next refill the same, I have pay 3 moths of insurance but no medication.

Today I have to Wait until May 17 to get Postal Pharmacy to refill my meds. They have collect for six months without giving me my med. "Go somewhere else." That is what some of their own people have say. I do not know if you comprehend, what I have says don't get stuck here like me, like they say GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. I have call this place some time three times in one day. I don't think they have the best interest on you. Go somewhere else. You have the right. That was what that loser told me. So I repeat, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. LUIS **.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Hammond, La 70403 Cigna Supplemental Benefits, I was contacted (on my work cellphone) by Paula ** on 03/21/18. She informed me that I needed to sign up for Medicare before I actually turned 65. She talked to me briefly and lead me to believe that I was actually signing up for original Medicare (A&B). Due to lack of knowledge and not being educated on the many parts of Medicare, I gave her some of my information. She already knew as much about me as I do. I was receiving online bank statements at the time.

My laptop screen cracked. I had no means to check my acct. I went to S.S. office on 09/18/2018 to check on status because I had not gotten verification/cards. I wasn’t signed up for A or B Medicare. I went to bank and requested to start receiving paper statements again. When I reviewed the first paper statement, I saw Cigna Arlic charges and I was puzzled. I had just paid 4 months to CMS with a check. Another trip to the SS office was necessary. I was told that Cigna Arlic had nothing to do with original Medicare. I went to my bank and stopped the ACH. Unfortunately, my ignorance and trust in Paula ** had led to multiple charges before I realized the problem. I was credited for December 145.01.

I am requesting that my money be refunded for 09/06, 10/03,11/05 of 2018 in the amount of $455.03. I was mislead/scammed by Paula **, agent for Cigna Supplemental Benefits. I did go through some old mail and found a booklet from Cigna Supplemental Benefits. I didn’t really inspect it. I should have but again, I trusted Paula **. I put it in a folder and just waited for my cards to arrive in the mail. Upon discovering all of her deceitful tactics, I began to review it a little more. The contact email address, Medicare #, health ins provider dates, etc. is not correct. She put what she wanted in the booklet. However, it does state that “Individual must be enrolled in Medicare A&B in order for the policy to be issued.” I am submitting verification of my enrollment in Original Medicare (A&B). I have contacted the BBB and I will diligently continue to pursue this matter.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This insurance company ignored Medicare protocols for level of care admissions for authorizing appropriate inpatient services for physical and occupational therapy rehabilitation after a patient I am currently serving as a medical and financial POA for. After diminished physical fine and large motor skills due to chemotherapy side effects this insurance refused to pay for appropriate level of care in order to build her up to a self sustaining level. They placed her in a facility with low level care services and after two days I was informed that she would be self pay within 5 additional days. She had a TOTAL of 3 1/2 in that 7 days.

I was informed by facility that Cigna would not authorize more hours. I filed 2 appeals with the source CIGNA told me that I could use. Both failed. The appeal process was all to protect Cigna. Now I am going to Medicare to report them. By the way at once we were SELF PAY therapy improved immensely. If I need to I will go to our Senator to get our money back. When someone works for over 50 years they deserve better!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Updated on 03/17/2019: This is a follow up on my below complaint of 12 29 18. They have now refused to pay me. They said I had verbally agreed to buy their insurance per below in phone conversation. (I don't know- don't have their phone recording. Say they'll send it.) I said go ahead to #2 and they said in #3 I had 30 days to cancel. I said to them, "Download your info in #2 as in if you want to but 'I don't care'." At any rate it was a deceptive way to obtain a contract when the clear simple way would be to have me sign or not sign a contract mailed to me. At any rate they knew or should always try to find out if I already had a supplemental insurer which I did. So their policy did me no good. Don't know what my legal grounds are. But this is a scam.

Can't remember how I got in contact with them. Agent said she just wanted a little information - ended up being 20 minutes worth, 2) then told me they'd download extensive information to my yahoo account, 3) then sent me more information in mail unrequested by me. I never signed a thing. In fact I recall that at some point I told agent I did not like her hard sell and believe even said, "I reject any policy from you." They record all their phone calls. Anyhow about 8 months later I checked my bank account and found they had been billing my account $117/month for that many months. Called them and they have agreed to return my money. Said I had made a verbal contract.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I called Cigna today for my dad who is very hard of hearing. He wanted to pay an annual premium and not monthly. I called the head office and I could not believe what they told me. He will be billed ** per month but I said I want to pay for a year. They quoted me a number and it is $1.30 higher than if he paid by the month. I then talked to a supervisor who told me if he paid ** then he would save .24 cents a month. I said, "No. He should be saving 2 or 3 hundred dollars a month." And she finally said, "We do not offer that option." I wasted 45 minutes trying to get that answer.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I applied for Cigna Medigap insurance. I have not been in the hospital since my last child was born 35 years ago. I have had one doctor visit in the past year. I had a flare of polymyalgia rheumatica (last flare was 15 years ago). As a result, I took a low dose of **, tapering it over 6 months, currently down to 1/2 mg, due to be off it in a month. I was denied coverage for this. I had a phone consult with someone with no medical knowledge (I asked). Very disappointed!!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have been a customer of Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance for over a year. My payment comes out of my checking account automatically monthly to Cigna. I had changed my bank account because of fraudulent activity so contacted Cigna to let them know of the change and the representative told me she would put in the 28th as payment date. They would send out paperwork. I also could go online to make the change. I did that but put in the 1st as the date to take premium out. At that time, I had forgotten that the 28th was put in. So on 6/28 a payment was taken out and on 7/5 a payment was taken out.

So I called Cigna to tell them what happened and if I could please get a credit of the payment on 7/5 and leave the payment date to 6/28. They would not do it! I explained I was on a limited income and needed that money. But they did not care. So I have requested a cancellation. Cigna does not care for their customers especially senior citizens on limited incomes! So sad and disappointing!!

Cigna Medicare Supplemental Insurance Plans Company Information