Find the Best Car Insurance in Austin, TX
Top 11 Austin Car Insurance Companies
|EverQuote Insurance Services|
Insurance marketplace with a free online comparison tool for auto, home, renters, life and health insurance quotes. Enter your parameters and get quotes from multiple providers in minutes.
|Freeway Auto Insurance||Read 153 Reviews|
Freeway Insurance belongs to Confie Seguros, the largest private insurance company in the U.S. It offers affordable auto insurance plans, including high-risk insurance, to help every consumer be able to afford auto insurance.
|A-MAX Auto Insurance Austin||Read Author Review|
Specializes in cheap car insurance and has with thousands of individual and business clients in Texas. Offers coverage from 20 different carriers. Gives a variety of discounts. Provides affordable SR-22 documents.
|Ai United Insurance||Read Author Review|
Offers car insurance, motorcycle insurance and SR-22 policies. Provides free quotes. Has three Austin-area locations.
|All Save Auto Insurance||Read Author Review|
Independent agency that offers liability-only and full-coverage auto insurance. Allows customers to manage policies online. Gives fast online quotes.
|CapCity Insurance Services||Read Author Review|
Independent agency that shops and compares rates from leading carriers and matches coverage with your needs and budget. Provides web-based customer service options to clients. Offers free quotes.
|Direct Auto Insurance Austin||Read Author Review|
Assists with car and motorcycle insurance coverage, including discounts for multiple vehicles, safe drivers and good students. Works with high-risk drivers. Offers flexible payment options. Speaks Spanish.
|EZ Insurance Agency Austin||Read Author Review|
Provides instant auto insurance quotes from over 30 different companies. Offers same-day SR-22 filings. Has over 20 years of experience and five Austin-area locations.
|Remco Car Insurance Austin||Read Author Review|
Helps customers find a policy for all vehicles, including motorcycles and classic cars. Assists with SR-22 certificates. Operates in over 10 Austin locations and is open on Sundays.
|Stanley Insurance Agency Austin||Read Author Review|
Offers auto insurance policies from more than 30 insurers. Provides discounts of up to 60%. Gives free, instant quotes for cars, motorcycles, motor homes and commercial vehicles. Has two Austin locations.
|Watkins Insurance Group||Read Author Review|
Independent insurance agency with headquarters in Austin. Offers 24/7 customer service, personalized MyWatkins page for each customer and direct access to licensed advisors. Prepares multiple quotes for your review.
Driving in Austin, TX
Car insurance in Austin is a necessity. Not only is it legally required in Texas, but the city also has a high frequency of accidents, hazardous weather conditions and an always-present possibility of theft or vandalism.
- Crashes in Austin: Around 250,000 people were injured in car crashes in Texas in 2018, and more than 14,000 of these accidents resulted in a serious injury. There were also more than 15,000 vehicle accidents in Austin. If you are responsible for an accident, your liability insurance helps pay for another driver’s car repairs and medical bills, and collision coverage pays for your own car’s damage.
- Road conditions in Austin: Certain weather hazards in Austin increase the risks of driving. Flooding is a concern year-round. Austin is also subject to threats from wildfires, hail, tornados and hurricanes. All of these factors make roads more dangerous and cause vehicle damage. That’s why many Austin vehicle owners purchase comprehensive car insurance policies that cover weather damage.
- Vehicle theft in Austin: According to the Austin Police Department, there were 2,538 auto thefts in Austin in 2018 — a 22% increase from 2017. The most commonly stolen vehicles were Ford F-150s, Chevy Silverados, Toyota Camrys and Honda motorcycles. Consider purchasing comprehensive coverage as part of your policy so your car’s value is covered if it's stolen. Comprehensive coverage also pays for repairs after a break-in.
Average car insurance cost in Austin, TX
Auto insurance in Austin costs anywhere from $500 to more than $2,000 annually. One factor that affects the cost of premiums is the area where you live. Below is a table with example policy costs for a 30-year-old woman living in different Austin areas.
|Austin area||Comprehensive||Liability||State Minimum|
|Austin - 78701||$1,324||$525||$500|
|Bee Cave - 78738||$1,310||$516||$493|
|Buda - 78610||$1,317||$500||$476|
|Cedar Park - 78613||$1,297||$496||$474|
|Pflugerville - 78660||$1,367||$546||$520|
|Round Rock - 78664||$1,304||$509||$487|
According to the Texas Department of Insurance, other factors that affect the cost of auto insurance are:
- Age: Men younger than 25 and women younger than 21 have the highest rates. Rates decrease as people reach middle age, then increase after age 70.
- Driving record and claims history: Expect higher rates if you have been in multiple accidents or received tickets.
- Where you keep your car: Generally, vehicle owners who live near downtown Austin pay more than those who live outside the city.
- Type of car: Luxury cars are more expensive to insure, in part because they cost more to repair.
- How you use the car: If you use your car for business or drive to and from work, you may pay higher rates.
- Your credit score: Some companies take credit scores into account when determining auto insurance premiums.
What is the minimum car insurance coverage in Texas?
At minimum, if you own a car in Texas, you must carry liability coverage with at least the following limits:
- $30,000 for injury to one person in an accident
- $60,000 for all injuries in an accident
- $25,000 for property damage for one accident
Many drivers purchase additional liability coverage and other types of car insurance.
Austin car insurance alternatives
If you can’t find an insurer willing to cover you, you can purchase basic coverage through the Texas Automobile Insurance Plan Association (TAIPA). You can get TAIPA coverage if two car insurance companies turn you down. Talk to an insurance agent if you are interested in TAIPA coverage.
Austin auto insurance FAQ
- How do I find SR-22 insurance in Austin?
- Certain drivers are required to file an SR-22, or Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate, with the Texas Department of Public Safety. Most car insurance companies on our list issue SR-22 certificates.
- Why is car insurance so expensive in Texas?
- Texas’ population density, road traffic, high number of accidents, high speed limits and expensive vehicles are just some of the reasons the state’s car insurance premiums are among the most expensive in the U.S.
- How can I get car insurance discounts in Austin?
- Before you get a car insurance quote in Austin, ask what discounts you may be eligible for. Companies commonly provide auto insurance discounts if you:
- Insure multiple cars
- Bundle car insurance with other types of coverage, such as homeowners insurance
- Have a good driving record with no claims
- Pay an annual premium upfront
- Have no lapse in coverage
- Take a driving education course
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Austin car insurance company information
Ai United Insurance is an independent agency that offers auto insurance, motorcycle insurance and SR-22 insurance. Submit a quote request form on its website for a free, no-obligation review of your current policy or call to get help finding coverage. Ai United Insurance has multiple locations in Austin.
- Address: 2314 E. Seventh St., Ste. B, Austin, TX 78702; Multiple locations
- Phone: (512) 482-0444
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 7pm; Sat: 10am - 5pm
- Website: getaiu.com
A-MAX Auto Insurance shops for prices and coverage options from more than 20 different insurance carriers. It offers cheap car insurance and motorcycle insurance and helps file SR-22s with the state. Speak with an agent over live chat on A-MAX’s website, call or stop by one of its locations in Austin.
- Address: 1923 E. Seventh St., Ste. 190, Austin, TX 78702; Multiple locations
- Phone: (800) 921-2629
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 7pm; Sat: 10am - 5pm
- Website: amaxinsurance.com
EZ Insurance Agency helps customers find the cheapest car insurance in Austin by comparing policies from more than 30 different companies. Customers can get discounts of up to 35%. The company also does same-day SR-22 filings. EZ Insurance Agency has five Austin locations.
- Address: 4402 S. Congress Ave., Ste. 102, Austin, TX 78745; Multiple locations
- Phone: (512) 444-4445
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 6pm; Sat: 10am - 2pm
- Website: ezinsuranceagency.com
Remco Insurance has more than 30 years of experience in the insurance industry. The company helps clients find the right auto insurance coverage from top carriers. SR-22 assistance is available. Contact the company for a free, no-obligation, personalized quote. Remco Insurance has more than 10 locations in Austin.
- Address: 2200 E. Seventh St., Austin, TX 78702; Multiple locations
- Phone: (800) 282-2000
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 7pm; Sat - Sun: 10am - 5pm
- Website: remco.com/austin
Direct Auto Insurance offers affordable insurance for all drivers. The company has low monthly payments and multiple discounts. Agents can help with all types of coverages and SR-22 filings. Contact Direct Auto Insurance by phone or email. You can also stop by any of its locations in Austin.
- Address: 1931 E. Oltorf St., Austin, TX 78741; Multiple locations
- Phone: (512) 354-8978
- Hours: M - F: 9:30am - 6pm; Sat: 10am - 4pm
- Website: local.directauto.com/texas/austin
Stanley Insurance Agency provides free insurance quotes from more than 30 companies for cars, motorcycles, commercial vehicles and motor homes. Customers can get a fast quote online or call either of two Austin locations. Stanley Insurance Agency has been in business in Austin since 1983.
- Address: 512 W. Stassney Lane, Ste. 113, Austin, TX 78745; Multiple locations
- Phone: (512) 445-5555
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 7pm; Sat: 10am - 3pm
- Website: keepingaustininsured.com
CapCity Insurance Services’ independent agents compare rates from leading insurers and match clients with the right coverage, regardless of their driving history. Customers can make changes to their policy directly on the company website. Call or fill out a form online for a free car insurance quote.
- Address: 4360 S. Congress Ave., Ste. 109, Austin, TX 78745
- Phone: (512) 222-8805
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 6pm; Sat: 9am - 2pm
- Website: capcityaustin.com
All Save Auto Insurance is an independent insurance agency that guarantees the best customer service and pricing in Austin. It offers liability-only and full-coverage policies with immediate coverage. Clients can manage their policies and make payments online. Go to All Save Auto Insurance’s website to use its fast online quote system.
- Address: 11800 N. Lamar Blvd., Ste. 5-1, Austin, TX 78753
- Phone: (512) 835-2097
- Hours: Call for hours
- Website: allsaveautoinsurance.com
Watkins Insurance Group is an independent insurance agency based in Austin with 14,000 customers throughout Texas. It provides clients of all budgets with car insurance quotes, 24/7 customer service, personalized web portals and direct access to an insurance advisor.
- Address: 3834 Spicewood Springs Road, Ste. 100, Austin, TX 78759
- Phone: (512) 452-8877
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 5pm
- Website: watkinsinsurancegroup.com/specialties/personal-insurance/auto