Blue Cross of Florida

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We submitted our original claim to Florida Blue (with a return receipt, thankfully) signed for by them December 2016. This claim is still not processed and we need the disposition letter from Florida Blue in order to submit this claim to our travel insurance (CSA). Florida Blue has 1) asked us to re-submit the original packet; 2) passed the claim on to their Global World division (it was established during a FL Blue conference call that this claim is not covered by Global); 3) asked us to re-submit other materials; 4) sent us emails with attachments that we cannot read; 5) has today passed this claim on to their SIU division (special investigating unit) because the claim is more than $500.

We feel royally jerked around by Florida Blue. We need the disposition or Florida Blue will prevent us from collecting the $9,000 from CSA that we have already paid for shipboard medical services. Florida Blue is well aware that we are under a time limit to submit this claim to CSA, because we have stated this every time we have contacted them and/or sent them requested materials.

Had to switch to Florida Blue in January of 2017 since it is the only company on the Florida exchange. I was in the middle of having a shot procedure done for stenosis of the neck when my insurance had to change. I've been waiting since January to get authorization from Florida Blue to continue the treatment which would result in my no longer needing opioid drugs for pain. They have yet to approve the treatment, so I'm still on opioids which they seem fine with (what about the opioid epidemic that is sweeping America??). I finally reached out myself since my doctor's office can't seem to get anywhere with them and was told that they could not discuss the reason for the delay with ME!! THE PATIENT!! THE PERSON PAYING THE PREMIUMS!! ONLY WITH MY DOCTOR.

I was flabbergasted. They refused at first to give me the phone number to the central office. I had to threaten them with a lawyer to get this little bit of info. They simply said the same thing. I told them that if I didn't have an answer in 48 hours I was filing a lawsuit against them for turning me into a junkie. I will repost with the results.

My husband & I spoke with an attorney today about suing FL BCBS for nonpayment of 15k in hospital bills. We knew we were trying to have a child in 2016 so we purchased the best insurance coverage possible and were set up on autopay. In September my husband noticed a debit had not been made so he called and made payment over the phone along with paying the remaining premium for the year because the baby was due in December & we didn't want to run the risk of running into any trouble.

Without our knowledge we were dropped from our policy for "nonpayment" (this is illegal before 90 days passes) & never reinstated even after they received full payment through 2017 within the appropriate time frame. Numerous phone calls & in office visits have gotten us nowhere. The marketplace blames BCBS & vice versa. Meanwhile the bill collectors are calling & threatening bad debt collections. We see this is happening to so many other people & want to fight back.

In 2015 we had FB 1 month and they canceled us for not paying our premium. We paid what they told us to and then they raised the rate and told us we should have checked online to see if there was a status change. We were never able to access the online service and was never able to see anything at all for the first 2 mos. 3 mos we called them and thought we were filing a complaint to be reinstated, but at the end of the 3 mos they told us we never filed the complaint. They told us we had to do it online. Online said we had to do it by phone. We lost our ins and had to get ins thru another company. We paid 2000.00 extra on our taxes for not have ins coverage for 2 mos. In 2016 the 1st mo they canceled our ins again, didn't tell us they had changed our card number. All doctors were denied payment. This time we watched the online notification closely and found they no longer had that coverage and we had to choose another from them.

No one called us just a letter in the mail saying we were canceled, and they send you junk mail 3 to 5 times a week about nonsense, so you will overlook the calculation notices. Again during that year our card ID number change for no reason. We had to contact all Drs to get them to update their billing. 2017 here we go again, new card ID number at the beginning of the year, nothing had changed on our end why do we need a new ID cards several times a year? In Feb my husband went on to Medicare, instead of talking to the Market Place or FB we went to a local agent hoping things would go smoother. My husband was taken off the ins, I was to be left on. At that time we asked if there would be a new ID number, the agent said no. I go to my therapy and they say I have no ins. We call FB and the agent and find I have a new ID number. Tried to go to therapy again no coverage.

We call and find out we need to pay the premium, which we did for that month but it went to the old account ID number. Hours and hours on the phone they say we applied the money to the new account. Next day my therapy says the account is still not active, we call again and find they don't have any info of the money being transferred to the new account ID number and don't know where it is. Now we have to pay for this month that was already paid for and we have to wait for them to send us back a refund from the old account. Their stories keep changing with each person we talk to. Keep in mind we don't have access to the new account online because it's too soon, so we can't see what is going on, but they want us to go there to make the payment. So we call back and get them to take a credit card payment over the phone.

All the while we have been hung up on 4 times and have had to talk to people in foreign countries who can't understand English and have little knowledge of FB system for 4 times now. Has FB forgot how to link an account and use their phone to notify people of a change. Every year we get canceled 3 times, have to call several times (3 hour calls), hung up on, and new ID cards that don't come for a month but their cancellation notices come far too often. So right now I can't access my old account to see what has been paid out and I can't access my new account to see if it is active. I thought they were personally trying to get rid of us because we use our ins to often, but people on here who don't have an illness are getting screwed around too! I think FB is trying to give the ACA a bad name so people will be so disgusted and will want to have something else and apparently it has worked. This is not ACA problem it is FB doing this.

We tried 3 different ways to fix these problems (Market place, FB, and a local FB INS company) and every year it happens again and again. I noticed down below there is a survey and they ask for your INS ID number. Which one do they want, I have had 7 ID cards in 3 years. Perhaps that is exactly why they keep giving us new numbers, so there is not a trail that can be followed or linked together that shows what FB has been doing to us the last 3 years, they are avoiding any way for us to make a case against them.

Whatever health care we get out Idiot Trump I'm sure I will not be able to afford and will have no coverage once again. The health ins is as corrupt as our president and elected officials, and their hands are in each other's back pockets. We no longer have any help from our government especially with a crooked tyrant like Trump in office. At least Obama tried, but the Republicans and the insurance companies killed that for everyone.

I attempted to cancel my policy in Dec of 2016 as I was getting new insurance with AvMed. I noticed in Feb that FL Blue had charged my account for two months premiums for my son and I ($2382.44). After multiple online chats and phone calls they are telling me they are unable to process a premium refund although I have proof of new insurance and no claims were made against my policy. They mysteriously have no record of my cancellation in December. Florida Blue does not care about their customers or their well-being and they have lost a customer for life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Florida?

Started in September 2016 when new child was born. We attempted to add newborn to his mothers plan and could not. For what reason I don't know and can't remember as there was so much BS being said by Florida Blue at the time such as "Our system is changing over and we can't find your account." So much time had gone by I decided to enroll in my own insurance plan through healthcare.gov and add our kids to my plan. After completing the application and selecting plans for the whole family excluding wife (has her own plan) we totaled up a premium of $847/month. After 2 months of waiting to be 'allowed' to pay our binder payment we get a bill for $1400+. By this time 2017 enrollment period was opening up and decided to just put myself and leave kids on FL Healthy Kids. I informed Florida Blue to cancel the old plan since we did not make the binder payment anyway.

So in December 2016 I enrolled in a plan for $197/m for me only to be covered in 2017. I paid the first binder payment and 5 days later get a cancellation notice for nonpayment? They have my money still to this day (4 months later). Fine now I call healthcare.gov and they escalate the situation with Florida Blue and now I get a notice that I am on a totally different plan with a higher premium. Again I call Healthcare.gov. They escalate and now I call Florida Blue who already has a payment on their books. Well they still have this made-up old plan. Call healthcare.gov again. They escalate. Florida blue cancels again! WTF. Now they finally switched my plan. Well actually they reestablished that $1400 a month family plan we canceled back in October! They charge my card $197 and cancel again for nonpayment. I felt like I am in a third world country! Is this is a joke. I mean a company this big so backwards.

When Florida Blue and Florida Combined life (health company-dental company) changed their billing system they messed up a lot of people's payments. They cancelled my coverage even though I OVERPAID by a month. Now they won't cover the 2 claims I had early in December. My bank sent PROOF OF PAYMENT in January and, after 14 phone calls, they are saying the proof was "illegible" so they won't fix the policy dates!!! Basically, they want to keep my money and NOT GIVE ME SERVICE!! Calling the legal department right now.

This insurance company has got to be the worst organized company that is not a criminal organization. There is NO customer service whatsoever. I have been trying to pay for a policy they knocked me off of since November of 2016. As of now, March 13, 2017 I have been unable to make a payment due to the inability of Florida Blue to accept it. No one there can help. The company is a shambles.

I spent 3.5 hours on the phone today with Florida Blue. I had Medicare D prescription coverage with them in 2016 which they cancelled on 12/31/16 as "no longer offered". I obtained new insurance through my partner's employment, also through Florida Blue, but not through Medicare. Because they failed to deactivate my old insurance plan number, I cannot log in or use my new plan number. They advised me that I had to cancel my old insurance. They told me to contact Medicare. I did. Medicare confirmed the old policy was cancelled and offered to conference in. Florida Blue refused to conference in. They initially refused to let me speak to a supervisor. When I finally got through to a supervisor after nearly 30 minutes on hold, he refused to give me his name.

To make a long story short, he finally conceded that it was an IT issue and that he would have to file a report and send it over to the other department and it would take 3 to 5 business days to be processed. I told him that that was unacceptable and they needed to reset my membership number immediately so I could order medications. He said there was nothing he could do. I asked him how to file a complaint. He said only he could take the information. I did finally get a P. O. Box address where I will send a written complaint. There was no explanation of why they had no record that they had cancelled my 2016 coverage, other than "that's another department." In the meantime, I am unable to get prescriptions ordered and filled. Clearly, they have a problem processing policy maintenance and a major gap in customer service.

My first month of coverage with Florida Blue, they removed duplicate auto payments from my checking account the first day of the month, and 10 weeks later they have not resolved this. It took me 4 or 6 hours of phone work, and 2 trips to one of their offices totaling 50 miles in the car, for them to admit they had taken my money twice. This is technically theft, since it was unauthorized by me. Since then they have given me 30 or 40 different stories. To stay in good standing, I mailed them a personal check for my second month of coverage, because they refused to use the duplicate payment for the next month. Now they say that although they rec'd my check, it was never applied to my account. Again, this is MY PROBLEM to solve, not theirs.

Adding to the stress is the unconscionable wait time on the phone, with occasional disconnects after 45 minutes of hold. Since the theft of the duplicate withdrawal in January, they have never acknowledged that the mistaken withdrawal money is MINE not theirs. Now they say they DID apply it to February, and that my check to them for February was used by them but not applied to my account, and that I still owe for March. Their inconsistency and lack of records is terrifying. Thank God I don't have a serious illness, with all their confusion and lack of customer care. This is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with. By now I have used over 12 hours of phone time with Florida Blue and nothing is solved. And it's not that complicated!

Had Florida Blue through ACA in 2016. Three months into coverage I was told my account was on "hold" for lack of payment. They somehow lost my automatic payment information. I kept the same coverage/plan trough Healthcare.gov for 2017. I received a new card from Florida Blue end of Dec./beginning of Jan. Went to go use my insurance on March 3 and was told it wouldn't go through. I then spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone till I reached someone. Twice, I was on "hold" for around 45 minutes when mysteriously the phone/line disconnects. 3rd time I got through, and I was told my plan was terminated for failure to pay, that I needed to contact Healthcare.gov to find out why. Contacted Healthcare.gov and was told they have nothing to do with payments or termination of anyone's plans.

So, I have been sitting on hold now for 33 minutes trying to get someone on the phone from Florida Blue to find out why they told me it was Healthcare fault and where/what happened to my automatic payments. I also want to know why I have been contacted about non-payment. No email, No letter, no phone call. The Healthcare.gov assistant said they have been getting numerous calls with people in my same situation. This seems like a clear deliberate attempt to deny people of Health Insurance. The deadline has passed, and I probably won't have insurance this year and will have to pay a penalty too. Florida Blue is the only insurance company Florida has for ACA. I am at a loss for words and don't know what I am going to do to get my medications.

The company agreed to process a hospital bill related claim within thirty days. Urged me to wait 30 days. The 30 days passed and the hospital sent the bill to the collections because Florida Blue never processed it. When I attempt to call the Florida Blue, I chose the callback option. The callback option called me back and before even being connected to someone hung up! Then I called again and the next callback wait time was 2 hours! It sounds to be like unfair practice and fraudulent activity. I am paying premiums through the roof and claims aren't being processed.

I thought things were bad when they lost me in the system update that they did back in July of 2017... I actually thought things couldn't get any worse. But of course they did! It took them about 4 months to actually fix the problem and I was "asked" not to use my insurance during that period of time. I had kept making my payments for a few months but then was asked to stop because they couldn't figure out where to apply them. At the end of October I was informed that I should start paying my payments again, and that "BTW you owe for the 4 months that we didn't cover you, because otherwise you'll have a lapse in coverage and that's a no no." So I paid everything I owed and then some and for a few months all was right in the insurance world.

Then at the end of December I started getting notices that I owed $455... and my premiums were only $180 a month and I hadn't missed a payment. So I called and was told, by the barely understandable customer rep that he would take care of the "mistake" and not to worry. A few days later it was still messed up online so I called again, was told "don't worry"... Well to condense this novel into a few lines... that's when the nightmare of having to call every other day and being told they would fix the mess began. Then I received a cancellation letter dated 2/16/17 telling me that if my payment of $455 wasn't received by 2/1/17 (???) that I would be cancelled. I then got the escalations department working on it and they found that I only actually owed $3! (Imagine that). I was told not to worry, that I wasn't being cancelled. Well, as I'm sure you can guess... today I woke up to find that I was cancelled!

Now, after spending the day in Florida Blue hell, I have once again been told "not to worry"... ROFLMAO! So I've come to the conclusion that it's going to take a lot more action than calling and holding my breath hoping that I still have insurance. That is why I'm asking anyone who reads this that lives in the Tampa area to contact me at **. I would love to get some sort of demonstration going in front of their offices on Westshore and Kennedy, since it's impossible to reach Patrick ** who is the head monkey in the Florida Blue circus. Maybe they will stand up and take notice then, nothing else seems effective. Just because they are about the only provider left in the marketplace in Florida shouldn't give them the right to give us horrible service for our hard earned dollars! So if you've read this far I take it you're feeling the same way as I do, so please contact me! Thanks.

I suffered an injury that required a physician's appointment to get a referral for an MRI and appointment with an Orthopedic doctor. The process takes months, literally. Florida Blue did not approve the MRI. Referring physician had to intervene. After 3 months I had the MRI with a co-pay of $450.00! By the time I was able to get an appointment to see an Orthopedic doctor, Florida Blue cancelled my insurance even though I paid 3 months in advance. Going on 4 months now with no care for a condition that prevents me from walking and doing normal activities. This company should be SHUT DOWN!

After finding out that I was not able to renew my insurance through my job for 2017, I was thankful that I was able to still get insurance with ACA. Spent whole day looking at plans that not only were accepted by my current doctors but that would cover pain management, Florida Blue did have a plan that had both. I had a MRI late last year and was referred to pain management to try epidural steroid injections for disc herniation and pinched nerve. Everything went fine on ACA side, signed up for plan, insurance started 02/01 and my doctor's appointment was on the 9th. That is when the hell began!! It started innocent enough, I called to make my first payment and the lady said that my plan was not in the system yet and to give it a few days to transfer over from ACA website. That made sense, so that is what I did and a few days later tried again.

Different lady said the same thing, I let her know that I had an appointment on the 9th and really wanted to make the payment before the 1st, she said it would be expedited and that I would receive a call from someone. Of course no one called and now it's 02/06, so I call again. Third time, no policy yet and no payment due, best part that there is no record that someone was supposed to call me. I am really freaking out at this point so I ask to speak to her supervisor. He finally comes on after waiting on hold forever and tells me that he was able to find my policy after searching by my name. Apparently when I entered my social and birthday at beginning of the calls it was pulling up a cancelled policy that I had many years ago. Yet these idiots never thought it was strange and to look for it like he did by my name. Finally someone is taking my money!!

I explained again that I have an appointment on the 9th and need to make sure I am covered, he said payment takes 48 hours to process but yes my effective date is 02/01 and everything would be fine by the day of appointment. I go to the doctor's and give the lady at check in the information the supervisor told me, NO POLICY FOUND! She keeps looking different ways, I am trying to call them and she finally said that it is getting past appointment time so I will have to come back another day. Well it took me 2 months to get this appointment so I just offered to pay in cash since I can't spend another 2 months in severe pain. After my appointment I try again to call, yet another long hold time until I speak to someone that confirms yes payment has posted but the account needs to be uploaded, only a supervisor can do this and they are all in a meeting.

She told me that I can make the cash payment to the doctor and that I would be reimbursed, she speaks to the lady at check out and makes sure that I have the information I need to fax. She then gave me the BIN numbers to give to Walgreens so I can get my prescriptions. I go to Walgreens, everything goes fine and I think my troubles are over. It had been a week so I go to log into my online account and it is still only showing my policy from years ago so I call them, on hold for over 30 mins. This employee tells me that it looks like there was an error with the account uploading but to try to log in again tomorrow and to wait to fax information in for reimbursement.

I make a joke that the ONLY thing they have done right was take my money and that still took over two weeks. JOKE IS ON ME, because when I go get the mail later that day, there is a letter saying I did not pay the full amount, my plan has been canceled and they are sending a refund check in 15 days. The best part that the letter is dated the 9th, the same day as doctor's appointment and the day they said all I needed was to have it uploaded by supervisor. I am beyond pissed, especially since I had just spoken to them and as far as they knew everything was fine. Call again, more waiting. Tell girl that I will only talk to supervisor, wait another 45 min. She comes back on to ask my phone number in case we are disconnected, go back on hold and call is disconnected! You guessed it, of course I never get a callback.

Call again first thing in the morning the next day and at this point I'm just in tears, thank goodness I finally speak to someone helpful this time. She tells me the truth, no I am not doing something wrong, no I am not the only one, they have been having huge problems with the system and it is happening to many people. Finally an honest person! She explains that the policy would not be effective in Feb, I would get the full amount back and that I would be covered starting in March. She said I would not get the money back that I paid at the doctor's but since the appointment cost less than my monthly payment, I was fine with that. All I needed to do was wait for the check and make my March payment, she even said that she would call me herself on the 24th to take the payment.

In the meantime I get a letter saying coverage will start in March and a bill for a negative amount, both dated after the letter saying I was getting a refund but no check. The 24th comes and goes without a call from her to take the payment. I figured that since bill was negative amount and I had not got the refund that she did not call because they just applied my Feb payment to March, hopefully... Since common sense does not seem to apply to this company, I went ahead and called them yesterday since today is the 1st and I can not have this happen again. After a nice 45 min hold I talk to someone that has no clue what is going on and has zero customer service skills. I ask about the negative bill and not getting the check, she said that "Yes amount was just applied to March payment." I ask her if I definitely will have coverage starting March, and she said yes.

For some strange reason I do not trust a word they say so I logged onto my account online today. Still only has my policy from years ago, so who knows if this month will be different than last month. I just did not have the strength to sit on hold another hour today so I guess I will try tomorrow. All I know is that THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY AND I CANNOT WAIT TO GET AWAY FROM THEM! I also will be looking to see if mental health care is covered because I am going to need it after all of this, assuming the coverage starts one day.

I have waited over 3 hours to get a simple answer to a simple question, I.E. Does my current plan cover me during international travel. I was passed through to orthopedics, hung up on twice!!!! What is happening? This is the worst company ever!!!!!! Are customer service representatives not trained well enough? I even called their international travel dept. Global corp who informed me I was covered but need to contact normal customer service to find out what reimbursement rate was. No, stupids on the other line didn't know how to answer so they hung up. Great service BC of Florida.

As a facility there have been a number of times the local plan will not forward claims to the home plan. WHY, when a follow up call(s) is made, claim has denied for a number of reason depending on the rep, most common, no NPI (Box 56 on UB) claims are sent as paper, there is no excuse for the local plan to hold claims. In turn I advise the patient to call, and when the patient calls back: 'NO claim on file'. In all this is POOR customer service for the patient (subscriber) and the facility. Question? what is Blue Cross going to do...

I was notified in January that my service had been discontinued due to lack of payment. In the previous November I had called customer service stating that I could not pay my bill online and wanted to pay over the phone. They said it showed that I owed nothing. I thought this was awesome but knew it was a mistake so insisted to the rep that this was wrong and wanted to make a payment. They then stated that my account showed that I owed nothing and could not make a payment. I called by the following month to the same information and go around. I then get the notice that my policy was cancelled due to lack of payment. I immediately called on January 20th and explained the whole situation. They stated that I need to wait 24 to 48 hours to see if they would reinstate me.

After that time had passed, I called back. They stated that it was reinstated, that it was in the company's database and that they had to put it in the provider's database. That still has yet to happen. I have spent over a total of 15 hours on the phone with them trying to get some sort of answer on when this would happen. I just called back today, Feb. 28th and got the same incompetent answer. "Please wait another 72 hours for it to clear our supervisory committee". The rep have all been nice and polite and have done their best to keep me calm and to be as helpful as they can, but this has nothing to do with them. They are just saying what they have been told to say by someone else. Every time I call I have asked what next. Every time I was told there wouldn't be a next, that it was going to be resolved. I asked that same question today of where is the accountability. They never have an answer.

I really wish I had a job where there was no deadline. No one to be held accountable for their actions. It is such a joke every time I get on the phone with them. I ask for a supervisor and then ask for the next supervisor and they say they don't have one. I have no other person to talk to? Really?? What do I do when I have been told 6 different times it will happen in 24 to 48 hours or 10 business days and nothing happens? At what point do they get held accountable for not doing their job. This has been going on for 39 days. I have reached out to the state insurance commissioner for help. Hopefully he can make this happen. To just recap this all, Florida Blue is the worst insurance, company, retailer that I have ever had to deal with.

I have called at least 10 times waiting on hold for at least an hour. I have been calling since the first week in January. I am trying to get my account straight and have been told every time that the problem would be fixed in 72 hours. I received many useless reference numbers. Every time I called them back the payment problem was not fixed. I spoke to many reps who didn't speak English well. I was told many times that they were going to fix my problem with my payment. The payment was posted to an old health insurance policy. Meanwhile I have no coverage. I spoke to a supervisor twice and told me that the payment was transferred. When my husband went to the doctors Feb. 27, 2017, they called Florida Blue to confirm coverage and there was none. I'm still trying to get coverage...

They have not been able to send me a bill since October. But I keep making my payments. There are no doctors in the area that accept the plan I had in 2016. I have since changed plans (from Blue Select to Blue Options) but have yet to get new cards, policy or a bill. But they seem to be able send send lots of junk mail okay. They lost the application, then said they had 2 applications, then cancelled the wrong application. Just when I think they have it straight, they tell me otherwise. Once I called twice (waiting 45 mins each time) and got two different stories. Still No cards or policy as of 2/27/2017. It has gone way beyond a few simple mistakes.

At this point it has to be a deliberate act to postpone paying out for any medical services. Without ID cards and the new policy I can't see a doctor. If I did get cards at this point there is no guarantee that anyone in the area will accept them. In 2016 there was no one that I could find that would accept it. I had $19,000 in bills--not one cent was paid by FL Blue. AND FL Blue is the only plan thru Obamacare that is supposed to be accepted at my local hospital (so they tell me. I have no proof). But I would not be surprised if the new plan does not pay out either. My husband wants us to have insurance. He wants to keep trying. Me not so much... I'm ready to cancel, get my money back (like that would happen!) and get enrolled in a medishare type plan. Or just pay the fine and go without. But many doctors around here will not even see you if you want to self pay!

I had more than 1 doctor ask me to leave last year because I had FL Blue. When I told them I would pay cash, they still wanted me to leave! I tried to get insurance outside Obamacare, but there were no other options. I can't get insurance thru my job. It used to be relatively easy to get insurance thru a club or organization like AIGA, AARP or a Cooperative. But they no longer offer plans because of Obamacare. So now I have no options. FL Blue will probably never be charged with any wrongdoing. I feel like the whole world has gone stupid and GREEDY-it is a huge problem. I guess if I get sick I'll have to suffer thru it on my own. PLEASE, SOMEONE FIX THIS!

Ever since I got Florida Blue thru the marketplace, they've given me nothing but trouble and headaches. It seems their internal communication is nonexistent. Last year I was sent to the hospital on an appendicitis scare, and they refused to cover it because I didn't *actually* have appendicitis. So, I guess I was supposed to have just waited it out and possibly died, instead of going in to make sure.

Around halfway thru last year they changed their website, deleted my automatic payment information, and NEVER contacted me to let me know about it - not an e-mail, not a letter, nothing. Then put me on a grace period due to nonpayment, and sent me a letter two months later saying they were cancelling my plan. Then refused to let me pay online or through the phone - I was forced to go to a public library to print out a page with a barcode, to then take to a CVS in order to pay my past premiums there. No apologies for the huge inconvenience and me almost losing my coverage due to their inability to communicate with their clients.

This year, I was forced to renew through them because all other plans are outside of my budget. They LOST the paperwork the Health Care Marketplace sent them, and inactivated my plan. I had to call the Marketplace and request they send my enrollment paperwork again, which they did. I was on and off the phone with Florida Blue representatives, telling me I was inactive and they had no idea why. A month ago I paid two months' worth of premiums to them, and today, a month later, I am STILL inactive in their system. I missed doctor's appointments and was unable to pick up prescribed medication at my pharmacy because Florida Blue claims I am inactive.

I am currently typing this while on hold on the phone trying to reach them, and have been for the past half hour. I've been trying to get an IUD covered by them since November of last year. My first doctor submitted paperwork to them to see if they'd cover it and NEVER heard back from them. At this point, they have simply taken my money and terminated my health care for NO REASON.

I am so sick of Florida Blue - the moment I am able, I will drop them like it's hot and tell EVERYONE I can that they are the absolute, most disgusting, incapable, incompetent, irresponsible company I have EVER dealt with. I'm going to end up with a brain tumor solely due to the stress they've caused me - which they will most likely not cover, either.

I discovered in December, on the BCBS website message center, that my policy had been canceled due to non payment. This was a complete surprise to me as I had no notification of this issue and had been on the auto debit system for almost 2 years prior. Further research revealed that BCBS claimed the email address I had on file was incorrect, it was not incorrect, it was the same address I always had. Their internal system somehow apparently lost my email address? Same issue with my telephone number, they said that they were unable to contact me by telephone. My telephone number never changed! Thirdly they screwed up a change of address I had sent in almost 1 year ago, Jan 2016. They initially had the mailing address correct because I did get flat mail from them in March 2016. But somehow they reverted all flat mail back to the old address, even though my online house address was correct since Feb 2016.

So what happened and alerted me to the problem was in early December the USPS delivered about 10, back mailed to the old address, post card size notifications that my on file email address was incorrect. Then I went to their website and saw their internal messages to me. What a nightmare! I didn't even try to contact them, I signed a new policy with Molina. PS. This type of service provider related incompetence is not just limited to BCBS, it is slowly becoming a widespread problem throughout our country. We the consumers really need to stand up and cry foul before we become so far backwards that we cannot recover.

I have had billing and coverage issues with my Florida Blue policy since September, 2016. Like everyone else I see complaints from, they are not posting payments. I resorted to mailing in checks so I have proof of my payments and because they have my billing so screwed up I cannot make a payment online. I have been receiving "robocalls" about my payments being past due. I have spent over 15 hours on the phone with them and have numerous reference numbers that I finally took the time to send a letter explaining all circumstances and have received no reply.

This has been a very frustrating situation. NO company should be allowed to operate in this manner... especially a company that is making a profit off of your business. I did go through Marketplace for this coverage, but that should be irrelevant. I am still purchasing and paying for a policy. Will make sure that next time enrollment comes around I will choose another company.

My husband and I did our enrollment for our 2017 healthcare insurance through our insurance agent on Dec. 6, 2016 and were confirmed on that date. As of this date, Feb. 23, 2017, we still do not have active coverage. Florida Blue has three months premiums. They say it stems from numerous problems. In 2016, their system kicked out automatic payments for many of its customers (ours included). We received no notification of the problems they were having. We received a statement for two months worth of premiums. We chose to pay our 9th month of insurance and let the policy lapse; and pick up insurance for 2017. This according to the Marketplace, was perfectly fine. When I received an email that my bill was available to view and pay I went on the website and attempted to pay it. When I couldn't, I called customer service and was told that the systems online and her office were updating and could not help.

She gave me the address and instructions where to send my premium. (Mailed 12-27-16, check cashed.) They applied it to the 2016 policy that they had already cancelled. I was assured numerous times that that payment was being reimbursed. They still have it. Since the 1st of the year I have called Florida Blue approximately 13 times, spent hours on the phone, had three escalations started, had 1 escalation confirmation letter, and been told that this would be resolved in a matter of days, a matter of hours, etc. I received insurance cards with the correct policy in the beginning, and have been receiving emails about statements and my bill being ready to view and pay all along. How can this be? At one point FLBlue blamed the Marketplace because they cancelled our application. The Marketplace did not and could not without our consent.

The application has been active since Dec. 6th, 16. It wasn't until the 9th call that any rep or supervisor asked for my husband. They were suppose to do that in the very beginning. I found out at one point that this was held up because everything was sent over in my name instead of his. We are extremely disappointed in the quality of service and at this point feel that we have been lied to. It has been extremely stressful. We have also put off doctor appointments that need to be made.

I bought the policy through healthcare.gov in Dec. Paid my first premium in Jan and had no trouble picking up my Rxs. All of a sudden in Feb, I have no coverage and I can't pick up my Rxs. I've called and called. They admit it is their fault and that it will be fixed in 24 hours. Sure enough 24 hours pass and I still can't get my Rx. I called, the recording said there is a 3-hour wait!!

We've had Florida Blue (The Insurance Company from Hell) for 5 months now and it has been one of the most incredible experiences of my life. The fact that a company that is this dysfunctional and incompetent can exist just proves how insanely profitable the healthcare industry is. I have paid every premium on time, usually by driving 15 miles to their office because the amount it says I owe on their website is always wrong, and still can't make an appointment or get a prescription filled half the time. BTW, I'm paying $1,224.00 per month for medical my wife and I, so we're being ripped off to the tune of $42 per day while these clowns try to figure it out.

I had to print out my payment history from THEIR OWN WEBSITE and fax it to them to along with my bank statement to prove that I've paid, and every time I call it's like starting over from the beginning as if they have no records of any of our previous interactions. As I sit waiting in their beautifully furnished office showroom awaiting my turn to meet again with my polite yet incompetent agent, I can overhear one after another irate customer expressing similar complaints to the unfortunate young guy manning the reception desk. This is insanity! I will be supporting single payer healthcare at every level in the future.

Florida Blue has the worst telephone customer service of anyone. Hours on hold only to not be able to help me or transfer me to someone who could help me. Customer Service is in Dominican Republic and there is an understanding barrier. I had to go Blue Florida office to get customer service and there was an hour wait there. Management should be ashamed at the quality of service they have in place. I have been with BCBS for years and am appalled at the service they provide. I don't know who is responsible for their customer "NO SERVICE" BUT SHAME ON ALL YOU who is responsible. I would love to discuss with someone in management but have not been able to reach anyone or transferred to someone responsible. Management has a concrete wall surrounding them to prevent hearing how terrible it is. SMH.

I am writing this review for my husband who has been a Florida Blue policy holder for many years. This year we purchased his policy through the exchange instead of renewing the 2016 policy. On the exchange however, the policy purchase was the same exact policy that was purchased off the exchange the previous year. Premium payments were made in 2016 by electronic debit from our checking account. After purchasing and paying the first premium purchased through the exchange for coverage to start on Jan. 1, 2016, I tried to call Florida Blue to make sure that there would be no confusion with the policies since they were the same policy, just purchased through the exchange. Well good luck getting anyone to answer their phones. When they do, no one knows how to help you because they can't comprehend the issue.

So, to be double sure that I would not get charged for the previous year policy as a renew in January, I removed the authorization for automatic payments on the website in my husband's account. I have written proof of doing that on 12/16/16. On Jan. 3, 2017, I was shocked to see an auto debit from our checking account for $1,780.50!!! They took the money without authorization and now will not return it!!! We have spent countless hours on the phone with "customer service" and lied to each and every time that it was being taken care of and to wait 10-12 business days for the refund. After waiting a full month we made an appointment to go to a Florida Blue Center in person. The customer service person there was very helpful and pretty much assured us it would be taken care of, but again to give it some time.

Today I called that customer service person and she told me that we were DENIED the refund!!! She is now getting a supervisor to try to get it through. In the meantime, I am now reporting this to the Florida Attorney General's office (filed a complaint form online. I would suggest others do the same). Next I will file a complaint with the Dept. of Financial Services as well as the Florida Insurance Commissioner. I will not give up until we are returned this money. They committed a fraud by taking this money UNAUTHORIZED. In reading some of the other complaints about Florida Blue I am seeing that we are not alone with this happening.

We registered for open enrollment in Nov 2016. And they have still not registered us in their system. We have spent countless hours with them on the phone and still no resolution. This past weekend, we went to the local retail store and we were given a letter that should have covered everything. My pharmacist called me this morning stating the Branch Manager declined our letter with her name on the signature page.

By far the worst customer service ever. I've spent about hmmm, 20 hours on the phone with these people, most of the time on hold, the other part of the time saying "what" because it's impossible to understand them. For about 7 months they failed to send me the bill, cancelled my insurance, and then proceeded to tell me it's my fault and I have to pay 2k before it's reinstated. Nevermind that I had lifesaving medication running out. Customer service was so bad I finally had to go into my local office, made friends with the girl there and because of that, we figured out a less expensive way to handle it. BUT the actual helpline is terrible. I almost want to cancel my insurance based on that alone. And coming this year, I probably will. These people are awful. Awful. 10/10 DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Blue Cross of Florida Company Profile