Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

3.9/5 (229 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

These people take my money every month $830. In the year 2020 I had prior authorization for specific doctors and treatments. I paid my portion. I paid my bill every month on time. All of a sudden I start getting all these erroneous bills in the mail a year and a half later. A procedure that was done in the beginning of April 2020, they have now decided to take their money back that they had already paid for the claim that was already preapproved and I have the authorization numbers and claim numbers to prove it. They have done this to me numerous times with numerous doctors. I’ve never had anything like this happened to me in my entire life. I don’t know who to call or how to get this resolved.

Every month I call them with another bill that I’ve received after they’ve taken their money back, with blatant lies, like I didn’t pay my bill that month or, their last excuse was the practice asked the patient to update coordination of benefits with other insurance company? I have spent numerous hours on the phone talking to various agents, having my doctors resubmit the claim. My endocrinologist had three claims paid and then reverse the following year later. When they rebilled my Florida Blue options, they only paid one of them but not the other two. When I called back and asked why did they not pay all of them they couldn’t even give me a reason.

This company, there are no words. I’ve never experienced anything like this in my life. They should all go to prison. That what they are doing is outright fraud. I will never use Blue Cross Blue Shield again. If anybody’s reading this don’t do it, you’ll be sorry when they take their money back a year later and you start getting all these bills in the mail from every single doctor you saw the previous year saying you now owe them the full amount. It’s not funny!!! I’m just one person and I don’t know how to handle this anymore. It is so sad and pathetic.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I received an email on the 4th of July saying that my address has been changed. I had not requested any address change and so I am sure that the account was hacked. They obviously have inadequate security for your personal data.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2021

My 26 year old daughters premium is $830.33 per month for BCBS of Fl platinum plan. For 3 months the company has denied her prescription coverage because she requires the brand. Initially, they required her doctor to fill out a form for brand being medically necessary. The doctor sent in the form. Then Prime therapeutics, the pharmacy division of BCBS, informed us that was a mistake and a tier exception form was needed. Once again, the doctor faxed back the form. Then, prime admitted they made another mistake and yet another set of forms was required called brand penalty waiver.

The doctor filled out the form, faxed it back and then we were told. "So sorry, it needs to be faxed elsewhere." It was faxed then again to that number. Then the appeals department denied it. Yesterday, We were told it is because they never received the form and that second number was not correct either and to fax it to another number. BCBS Incompetence and interference with the health care of my daughter should be crime and they should be held accountable. Instead, the CEO's and company make billions at the expense of their consumer health.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I'm 68 years old and cannot get test strips from Florida Blue Cross even with my Dr.'s prescription for my diabetes because Care Centrix denied my claim. How am I supposed to test for my diabetes now.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I have had BCBS for many, many, many years through my employers because they were SO much better than all the other health insurance companies! Until 2020, I NEVER had a problem with them! They paid for everything they were supposed to pay for, billing was always correct, customer service was always knowledgeable and willing to help you find your answers, and if any changes were ever made to my benefits, I was notified very quickly!

For some reason, when the calendar flipped from 2019 to 2020, it all went down the toilet!! All of a sudden, I'm getting bills for bloodwork that my copay has ALWAYS covered. I thought it was maybe just an glitch or something, and it was only $8.00 so I paid it. That was in February. Now, these bills are coming in at $60.00! My hours were cut when everybody was sent home in March! My company lets us work from home, but at cut hours, so I don't have the money I used to have. I've used up what little savings I had, because my utilities went WAY up since working from home.

I've contacted BCBS several times on at least three of these bills I keep getting, and all I get from them is "I don't know" or "Look at your benefits"....which tells me NOTHING! That is, IF they respond to me at all! Not only are they sending me bills for bloodwork that is standard with my diabetes care and covered by my co-pay, there is some other doctor's name on my bill! The last time I contacted them, over a month ago now, I asked WHO this doctor was, because he's not MY doctor, and I've never even heard of him! I have yet to get a response.

I think I'm being shystered here! Bills I'm not supposed to be paying or receiving, BCBS giving me the "run around" (and now IGNORING ME), and a doctor I've never heard of......this sounds like a scam to me! BCBS has gone from five stars to ZERO stars! They've gone completely corrupt, shady, unethical, and untrustworthy! They are literally the exact OPPOSITE of what they used to be! Don't trust them! And READ YOUR BILLS!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I have had Florida Blue health insurance for over ten years now. I pay almost $800 a month for this insurance. I've been denied two other prescriptions from them, which upset me, but I dealt with it. My doctor prescribed a medication for osteoporosis and it took the girls at the office several days and hours to get it pre-approved with my insurance company. Once they finally approved it they said it had to be mailed to the doctor's office. The doctor's office will not be responsible for patient medications being delivered to them. I was told it would be a $60 deductible, which I didn't have a problem with because it's one shot every 6 months. I called to give my credit card information to have it mailed to me and was told my insurance company would not honor the $60 copayment as previously stated. They were going to count this as a medical procedure instead of a prescription, which it is. I was on the phone three times for over an hour with them and requested to talk to a supervisor stating it is a prescription it doesn't matter if it's delivered through a syringe, patch, a pill or liquid it is a prescription and it should be covered. They said they were sorry but there was nothing they could do. I think this insurance company is terrible and I would not recommend them to anyone. I am going to do some research and find another insurance company. They don't have any problem collecting $800 a month for me, but then when my doctor prescribes something for me they deny it. During this time with the virus and everyone out of a job it's a shame that they treat their longtime customers this way. They are a rip-off.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

My husband and I recently got individual insurance through Florida Blue. After being covered by my husband’s employer J.B. Hunt insurance for 20 years by another large Insurance company. My doctor that was my primary care doctor at our previous home in Dallas TX for over 23 years. He took care of my blood pressure medications. I sent proof to Florida Blue that Cigna covered it.

Florida Blue refused to cover my ** that I have been taking and coverage from Cigna for it. Florida Blue demanded my doctor to change the RX immediately to specific drugs they cover (my guess would be they have a financial interest in?) I said NO. I don’t trust a bully Blue customer service person is not my doctor so I paid full price for the **. Meanwhile, I am a retired 64-year-old woman. I have several drug allergies. Don’t sign up for Florida Blue. They are dangerous. They tell you which doctor to go to and drugs no matter what a doctor that treated you for 23 years.

Original review: May 28, 2020

During Covid19 crisis I met with my Doctor Virtual Visit through ** which is a free service provided by my Dr. But my plan only accepts virtual appointments. If member uses ** so Telemedicine visit is $40.00 per visit 80% covered after deductible. So one would think since COVID19 Stay in Place per CDC and Law, was in Place then virtual visits would be free. And My DR who is "In-Network" utilized the service ** which is 100 percent free, even says so on the website itself and I took pictures, Anthem BCBS charged $149.00 for the Virtual appointment, additionally they are confirm I am responsible for $101.21 for the visit. So of a Visit is $40.00 and I was subject to 80% then my bill should have been $32.00, in this instance 80% of Free is Free. Ok, so if my total cost is $149.00 and I'm responsible for even 80% of that the amount would be $119.20.

All these folks must have been taught with "Common Core" because it makes no sense and they can provide zero reasoning other than they are ripoff artists. The entire medical industry in the US is so jacked up. Come November during selection, I'm dumping these idiots and trying my luck elsewhere. In my opinion, stay far Away from this OUTfit, Anything with "Anthem and BCBS". Good Luck. Here is their response cut from the email I received:

"I hope you are Safe & Well! I wanted to reach out to you after having 4/24/2020 date of service reviewed thoroughly and then going thru all of the Policy and benefits updates related to Telemedicine Visits, I realized that I did not provide you with complete information regarding the way this claim is going to process. This was a telemedicine Visit and they are covered, The only provider that is Covered at 100% is TelaDoc(Only) all other Online/Telephonic Providers* Medical Telemedicine visits (any diagnosis):which are Normally Brick and mortar in-network or out-of-network provider – coverage based on plan benefits. And based on this, and being on the High Deductible Plan, this visit would process towards your deductible.

Your Member Responsibility will be $101.21. This claim does not qualify for an adjustment, as the claims department states it already processed Correctly. *I also tried calling, but there was no message center that allowed for me to leave a voicemail. I truly apologize for any inconvenience this caused, if there is any other questions I can answer for you, please feel free to reach out to me at any time."

Anthem, Inc.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I pay $800 monthly as an individual for the market place plan... $9,600 annually. Then I have to meet a $16,000 deductible that’s $25,600 out of pocket before they will pay for anything and then they only pay 60% of all claims after out of pocket of $25,600 total between the monthly monthly premiums, & a ridiculous deductible that is not affordable. I can’t believe the Marketplace is turning a blind eye to their unethical, and abusing a system that’s set up to provide affordable plans. I was hospitalized and meet my $16,000 deductible but my balance with the hospital is $26,000. I canceled my plan and have will continue to file my appeal Over and over every month. I found out it’s not the Florida state Insurance Commissioner office to file a marketplace complaint and claim of fraudulent policy actions. Thought I’d pass that on to those who have suffered the unethical actions of FL/Blue.

Original review: April 7, 2020

Terrible rates for ACA, No kind of easy way to pay bills in advance, they make you visit sight monthly and can't arrange for bank payment on next month till this month is processed (ridiculous), no payment due notifications. No easy way to shop services among providers, Huge disparity among provider fees allows for price gauging. They have monopolized ACA in Florida so it's my opinion they just don't give a hoot, I would do business with ANYONE else if I could through ACA. In my opinion this company represents every reason we should have some form or Medicare for all or ability to buy into Medicare.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Company Information