1.39/5

328 Blue Cross of Florida Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I had no idea when I signed up for BCBS that I would be limited to the experience of Sanitas, the medical facility you must use if you sign up with BCBS in Miami. You cannot call your doctor’s office, all calls go through a call center (the primary language is not English), appointments must be made months in advance and last 10 minutes. You have to go to the doctor to get a referral and referrals take weeks (sometimes months), you cannot use CVS or any other drugstore - just Walgreens. You have to use their urgent care center which is poorly run and not at all convenient.

If you have any questions for your doctor or their office, you have to call the call center and no one knows what you’re talking about. They have to get in touch with the doctor’s office which can take days. Appointments are cancelled by phone days before when you have been waiting for a month to get in. So inexcusable. If you told people this before they signed up, they would and should go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

On a weekly basis now I am getting calls from my Primary care Dr. stating my insurance company says I am not compliant and not doing their required test. Today I got a call that I had not picked up one of my medicines. That was a lie. I ordered it on a Monday and did not pick it up until Saturday. HELLO! Maybe I didn't need it Dumb buts. Where are all the attorneys who like to sue places. When insurance companies start controlling your life and what you have to take and test to do then that is not a good thing. Florida Blue is good but not the best. They do not offer anything when it comes to Vision or dental. Time to move on to another insurance company.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Florida Blue is an insurance company I would NEVER recommend. First, they think they know better than specialist doctors, without doing any exams or reviews of records. They continually deny needed procedures, even when multiple doctors say they are necessary. Secondly, they tell you that if you are out-of-state, just go onto the national website to find in-network doctors. But if your Florida doctor orders a test, they deny coverage for being out-of-network because it's out of state. And even their reps don't know about this, but the lab says it happens all the time.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

They denied a claim from my hospital back in May saying they needed the medical records from my surgeon. My surgeon's office sent them 3 times to the fax numbers provided! I’ve called BC/BS FIVE times about this claim. Two of those times, they said they received the records and they were with the Medical Review department. Today, they tell me they have never received the records and there are no notes in the system from my last two calls where the agents said they were still in review. This agent said she’ll call me back after she speaks with medical records. I’m not holding my breath – and I told her that. EVERY agent has said they will call me back and they never do. This is so frustrating - it's been going on for over FOUR months! And this was a pre-authorized procedure in the first place!

I'm tired of the completely incompetent customer service agents who have clearly been lying to me every time I call. I was also billed for my estimated portion by the hospital, which I finally paid because they were threatening sending the account to collections, but that amount would have been based on not having met the deductible yet and at this point, most of it has been met, so if/when this claim ever gets paid by BC/BC, I’ll have to fight with the hospital to get money back most likely. I can only hope that my husband's company changes providers this year because I can't fathom dealing with BC/BS much longer. In 20+ years, I've never had such problems with an insurance company!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I was dropped by Aetna because Aetna pulled out of the Central Florida market. When I compared replacement plans, none of my providers accepted my insurance except Florida Blue PPO at $867 month plan. The coverage I now have is exactly the same coverage I had previous to OBAMACARE, which I don’t qualify for any subsidies, but my premium prior to the HORRIBLE OBAMACARE HEALTHCARE DISASTER THAT IT IS, was $267.00. I may just self insure and get a catastrophic plan.

I am being discriminated against because I am a ** woman who chose to work and be self supportive and self employed. By the way, I have worked in the healthcare field for years, I am not a Dr or a nurse, but I spend my days in hospitals for my job. Often ICU and critical patients. I can GUARANTEE YOU THAT THE DOCTORS YOU GET ON THE LESSER PLANS are not equally qualified as the doctors I can only access through self pay via MD VIP practices or plans that are $867/month like I am forced to pay. I am a single mother putting two daughters through college and I can’t afford to save for retirement with ins. coverage like this, but I also can’t afford to have poor healthcare coverage because I have personal first hand knowledge of how quality medical delivery is vastly different based on each individual physician.

BEFORE OBAMACARE we could at least afford healthcare and the truly needy could not legally be turned away from the hospitals, so we formerly subsidized their care with our tax dollars just as we are now being asked to do today. The difference is now those who are paying the taxes to insure those who rely on the Govt. can no longer afford to pay health insurance themselves. In addition every Doctor I know is trying to leave their practice or retire early and are definitely leaning heavily on their own children NOT to go to Med School themselves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Florida?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

My company contracts with Florida Blue for all our employees in many areas of the United States. Their provider search delivers ZERO results for all the locations where my family and I reside - Southern California, Northern California, and New Jersey. So, we cannot access our care at all. They don't answer their phones. They are closed on Fridays and weekends, so only get sick Monday through Thursday! Basically, this product is useless because they have made it impossible to access. But their CEO makes over $6 million dollars a year. Perhaps collecting everyone’s premiums and then making it impossible to access their service is how he can afford to pay himself so much. Does anyone else think it is immoral for the CEO of a non-profit to earn this much?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

BCBS has tried to deny my child therapy to prevent deformity and tried to deny my wife life-saving medication. Lawyers don't have enough money to fight them and they have purchased the state of Florida politicians. They are the same as the rest of the lawless cartel and there is no doubt in my mind they have an unwritten "deny until they die policy". So here is what always works for me. Never deal with customer service. Call the CEO's office. Get the number from Bloomberg. Write a press release with a title like, BCBS denies Mother of 3 life-saving medication or BCBS drops insurance on child without notice. Make sure you are speaking to a representative from corporate headquarters. They will put you on hold for a minute and come back with those words, "Your claim has been approved." Good luck.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

The company denied claims in July 2017 due to their explanation that their system changed my primary care physician in April 2017. After months of fighting they paid the doctor, then months later charged back the physician with no communication with me. They don't know why any of this happened and are refusing to pay the claims. I have demanded my premiums refunded to me in full or the claims to be paid with no response. They commit insurance fraud and need to be banned from doing business in the state of Florida.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

They automatically deduct their payment off our checking account. They increased our payment without notification and when I called they said, "We mailed it." Well they didn't mail it to us so I cancelled our insurance. I was one day short of them deducting it so they are making me pay for another month before they will cancel. That is how insurance companies make their money stealing from the elderly.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I'm not going to speak about the fact that they almost tripled our insurance from Dec to Jan because "Trump MIGHT take away govt subsidies for Insurance companies". I'm not going to mention that when I signed up I was given a list of doctors none of which ended up taking the insurance. I'm going to say that they are just plain evil! They took off my 5 year old daughter off the insurance without any notice, no email, nothing, She is the ONLY reason I pay for this insane insurance that doesn't care about anything except getting money.

She keeps throwing up even water for 3 days, we go to the doctor and they tell me we have no insurance. HOW?! I go online, and see that she was removed. Just gone. And you would think that a company that is charging so much money would have a customer service line... Tough luck, In their view people ONLY get sick on Monday through Friday. I truly wish the management and the owners had to go through what all of us have to go through. But they won't, they're making too much money off our families to care! Last time I walked in the entire office was empty!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I signed up for temporary health insurance. The salesperson told me that after 90 day enrollment period, I would be eligible to apply for "regular" insurance. First, they processed my 90 days policy as 30 day policy even though in the contract it stated it's 90 days. After multiple transfers through multiple dept for two days and 5 hr phone time it was sorted out. Blue Cross accepted they were wrong and made a mistake and made necessary corrections. At the end of my 90 day policy I called to switch to new policy and I was told I am not able to do that. I have to continue with my temporary.

I listened to the customer service individual as I thought she knows more than me as she works for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida and provided her payment information. To my surprise, I received letter to my home stating that I overpaid and that I will get my money back and that my insurance lapsed. People that work at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Health Insurance are not knowledgeable and are beyond incompetent and they are messing up with people lives and taking advantage of their position in State of Florida. They should be ashamed.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have been using AvMed health insurance for 7 years very little problem with my medication. My wife change to Florida Blue this year 2018 and it's been a disaster to get any medication for both of us. Life THREATENING SITUATION. In fact, I might have to go to the E.R. TO SEEK HELP.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have waited 34 days, and have spent hours on the phone speaking with multiple representatives to get a single prescription filled. Just to give you an idea, I've spoken to my doctor multiple times, FloridaBlue multiple times, Alliance (a mail order division of Walgreens) multiple times, Prime Therapeutics (I'm not sure who they are, but I was sent to them by FloridaBlue) multiple times, and Walgreens multiple times, yet my script has still not been filled. If you have a choice of health insurers, I would suggest you pick someone else. My coverage was provided by United Healthcare for over eight years, and I never had these types of problems. If my employer provided a choice, I would insure with someone else.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Had Florida Blue through state employment. Had a good experience. Changed jobs and purchased under their individual and family plans. In short, it costs me thousands of dollars and almost nothing is covered. They send you so much paperwork, even after I told them only electronic. A silly issue I had that created so much headache was around auto pay. I kept trying to set up auto pay and though I had confirmations online, it wouldn't go through to them in the coming months. I would get them on the phone and be shuffled around to departments, it was always a 45 minute or more ordeal.

I had put my newborn on pediatric dental because of the federal laws and I couldn't access that information online so I always had to call in when trying to make sure the auto pay was correct. They would never call me about payment not being in on time, or even email mail. They send a letter, and then the next letter would cancel coverage. When I got customer service on the phone, they were often helpful and pleasant, but then I would find the next month that the issue was not resolved. I ultimately decided to not do business with Florida Blue. I cancelled. 8 days later they billed me again, and I felt compelled to let others know about my awful experience over the last 6 months.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I had Coventry through Obamacare and they stopped all insurance policies so I had to switch. Florida Blue was the only big name brand offering service on the Exchange. It is hard to find a good doctor there, very limited choice, mainly doctors who just accept Medicaid. I was lucky and found a good primary care doctor. They were good at paying my primary care doctor and my prescriptions. I know going to a specialist is a hassle, you need a referral. Luckily I never needed a specialist, so I can't say much about that. I really had no big problems with MyBlue. It all revolves around who you have for Primary Care Provider.

Original review: May 21, 2018

If there was a “ZERO” to give I will not hesitate. The worst customer service and agents ever. In Dec 2017 I was out of state on vacation. On Jan 1st 2018 I was hurt, I called and I was told to go to an urgent care and send them the bill. I told the agent I am not familiar with the area, she asked for my zip code where I was, I provided that, then she said go this urgent care and you will be cover. I walked in gave my insurance card, when it came to pay I was told that I have to pay out of pocket $249. I called FL Blue, I was told, "Oh you need to pay it then send us the bill."

A week later I was back in FL when I faxed all the paperwork including the bill I paid. About 3 weeks later I check the website, claim was received and then by the 4th week it was gone!! I called FL Blue they said some code was missing that I need to provide, I had to call the urgent care and get those code, which delayed the process by another 2 weeks, then in April I was told that it is not covered because it’s out of my network. UNPROFESSIONAL, LIARS and DON’T GIVE A ** ABOUT CONSUMERS!!! Today I called them because my coverage has been cancelled. I was told because of non-payment which is BS... UNPROFESSIONAL, LIARS and DON’T GIVE A ** ABOUT CONSUMERS!!!

Original review: April 23, 2018

I would give zero stars if I could. I signed up for Florida Blue Select, a platinum plan on the marketplace based upon my prescriptions being covered my providers working within the plan and I could afford the co-pays and deductibles. At the time I signed up there were over 300 ob-gyn providers available to choose from within a 10 mile radius, when I went to use the plan after finally getting pregnant as planned the amount of doctors available to choose from within a 10 mile radius was down to 75. All 75 of those doctors work for one company which is rated one star.

I called Florida Blue Select to get to the bottom of this, and was transferred too many times to count. Was told they would call me back and never did. No one knew any answers work and let me speak to someone who didn’t know the answers. Member service representative at Florida Blue Select were rude, spoke over me, did not listen to what I have to say, were not willing to seek the answers of the questions I was asking. After speaking with several managers, they were no help either. Florida Blue Select has chosen to not pay their providers enough money causing over 200 providers that were available originally to drop out of the plan.

Per law there is no regulations, and doctors can drop out any time. However, this does not make it right that an insurance company can offer you a huge array of doctors, and then when it comes time to use the plan hardly any of those Dr. still except the plan. The only doctors that are left are rated one star, Florida blue told me to give them a chance. So I did, but these doctors and staff are rude, incompetent, don’t care about me or my care.

Have been to the office twice now and the level of care is practically something you would see in a foreign country. It is unacceptable. Because I don’t qualify for a special enrollment period, I am now stuck with hoping these 1 star rated doctors and staff can keep me alive, and deliver my baby safely. I specifically chose the plan based on the doctors available, and the prescriptions it covered. So disappointed, but yet I have no other options. Never again Florida Blue Select, will I ever give you my business. I’m paying for a platinum plan but being provided with welfare doctors who could care less about their patients.

Original review: April 11, 2018

In the beginning of 2017 we never got the insurance we had selected and paid for through healthcare.gov. with Florida Blue. My wife at that time had a much needed complicated operation scheduled. They told us multiple times on multiple days that they fixed the problem and everything was fine. When we ran our policy numbers they had given us (with any medical establishment) we would find they had lied, we still did not have insurance. We ended canceling her operation because they denied to give us insurance.

After contacting the authorities, being mentioned in a newspaper article, and contacting state Reps someone from the company called us for the 1st time and apologized, they then signed us up for a different plan other than the one we had signed up for (they told me they would get us on a plan but when I asked them if it was the plan I signed up for and paid for they wouldn't answer me). After suffering in horrible pain several extra months and a having a slightly higher risk of death my wife was finally able to get her re-scheduled operation completed with insurance.

I had to fight them more to get the plan we had paid for and selected retroactively applied. To add we had our insurance canceled at least once in 2017 due to other mistakes of theirs and reactivated, they tried to recharge my deductibles. They also never repaid me from the overpayments for the policy that they put me on by their choice. However they did tell me there would be a check in the mail sometime ago last year, for some reason I still have not seen it.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have tried to reach a representative of Florida Blue 1 855 692 5830 and the calls are sent outside of the US. If you ask for a US representative they will not be able to do so... Means, you are calling overseas in which they will record your conversation (for quality purpose) and certainly they have all your private information. Secondly it's hard to understand their English... What about jobs in the US??? Why we are at the mercy of companies keeping all our data and health matter in another country. It's a shame. I was not able to resolve my problem, which and please be aware that Florida Blue, will not send you an Invoice to pay your Health Insurance in which at the 4th day if payment is not received they will cancel your policy and still no correspondence will be sent via US Mail. Bad way to do business, bad company, bad service. Shame.

Original review: April 4, 2018

First off I have had my 21-year-old son with this company for 4 years. Suddenly this year BCBS of Florida refuse to pay for feeding tube formula for my son. As they consider it food not medically necessary. Even though his surgeon at the Mayo clinic disagrees, and has argued for his case that he needs the feeding tube to live! BCBS of Florida still denied claim. Ridiculous! My son is 21 and working part-time. He cannot afford 32.00 a case which last him one week. As he thankfully can eat some but little by mouth. I called and spoke with an agent that gave me attitude and was sarcastic... Horrible!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I made a big mistake choosing this company for my 2018 health insurance, I am paying a lot and receiving nothing, specialist are no cover before the deductible, neither your primary doctor if you are sick... This company is a big scam, I do not understand how the Florida Government is allowing this, I am really disappointed!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I would not recommend this insurance provider due after my experience that started in Nov 2017 trying to submit a claim. I faxed and emailed a claim in November, I received a response through mail that a few things were missing, I made copies and resent it out again. Once again weeks later I received another letter stating I needed to add a few more forms. I did that and decided to mail it back and fax it. I decided to check on my claim 4 WEEKS later and miraculously they never received it. I called back and was told by the CS agent it would have to go to the claims dept and they would have a rep contact me. Well I did get called, 3 WEEKS later!!!

For them to leave a voicemail on my cell Saturday. I finally got in touch with a Supervisor and Trey informed me that I could fax it to him directly and he would make sure it was given to someone to work on. Well once again for the 6th time it was sent back to me because they wanted procedure codes (which were all listed on there and with dates of service). I called him back to ask why someone cannot figure out how to put this through. He stated they needed the dollar amount for each procedure code to determine if this would be covered. I had reached out to my Provider's office and they state they have never had a insurance company turn this Superbill down. VERY disappointed in this Insurance company. They may have a well known name but I think more people should research your insurance companies before buying into them. I had no choice, it's who my employer uses.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Don't Get this Insurance Plan offered by the Marketplace. They send you a lot of Promotional Ads saying how great it is. Then you go to use it and you find out what a bad choice you made. They are soaking the Government for subsidy payments and give you near worthless coverage. I had a stroke in mid Jan. 2018. Went to my primary care 2 days after and thought they would react promptly. Instead the Dr. questioned me as though I was making up the story and calmly said she would order a referral.

It took 2 weeks to get the referral then another week to schedule an appointment. When I went to my appointment the Dr. asked why did I wait so long to see a Dr. She diagnosed me as having a Brain Stem Stroke which requires immediate medical attention. This was the beginning of how they handle their patients. Every Dr. visit with my Primary care has been similar in respect to the urgency they apply. I wish i would have made a better choice. I hope this helps you when you choose your Marketplace provider.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have been enrolled in Florida Blue for over 5 years and this year when we chose our plan through the marketplace we thought we would be all set. Made the payment before January and heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from them so we figured same cards no problem. We were wrong. My wife became very sick in the middle of January and we try to go to our Dr to get her help but we were then told unexpectedly that our insurance was inactive. I told them there was no way because we had chosen the same plan as the years before and paid our premium. I called Florida Blue who says the application was denied and that I would need to have the marketplace resend it.

Well it’s February 19th now. The marketplace has sent the application 3 TIMES. Every call I make to Florida Blue just makes me want to tear my hair out. They have no care in the world towards my situation and don’t give any straightforward answers. It’s always “oh there is another department looking into this” or “it’s just going to take some time for this to be resolved.” There is no accountability. No answers!!! I finally came to my senses after two months of fighting with them and filed an official report with the Department of Insurance against them. Now it’s time to see what stupid answer they pull out of their hat for the DOI.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

They are a secondary to my Medicare. It sometimes takes a while before you receive your paperwork, but this is probably true of most companies. I do wish doctor's names and procedures were written out, as it is sometimes difficult to remember exactly what was done on only a date being given. It makes it difficult to check for accuracy if you don't have this information.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

For more than two years, this site has not functioned properly. I have tried on various devices with various browsers. I have contacted Florida Blue on several occasions. Besides poor customer service, the inability to use the site made shopping for insurance very difficult. Frankly, I only chose this again because there are no viable plans in my marketplace. PLEASE get some competition in here!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Retired now, so have a supplemental to medicare a & b. They take care of everything, pay everything, and only at the beginning of the year when I have to pay my portion for the year, do I have to pay anything. The drugs are a little different. They pay all but a small co-pay for generics, and still do give me some discount on those I must take brand. Cannot complain.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

They constantly called from their vendors, wanting me to go to seminars and other various meetings. I requested that I be taken off the vendors call list but to no avail. Worst experience I've EVER had with any medical insurance company. There were several other incidents that occurred as well.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My husband and I are self employed and the new plan prices came out for 2018 on October 4, 2017. We have never received anything from the marketplace, after careful consideration we decided not to renew. We took our account off of auto draft. Everything that we received said that we had to put down our first month premium in order for 2018 policy to start. I cancelled the auto draft, wrong. On Jan 1, 2018 an email came saying, "Thank you for your payment." We called them and they said yes it did draft the premium. I asked how when we didn't renew. The customer service rep cancelled our policy as of Dec 31, 2017. He told us we should received a refund in 10 business days. I called back in the middle of month only to be told that it will take 30 days to process our refund. I am very upset. I didn't renew in the first place because we really couldn't afford it. They assure me it's cancelled.

I don't like the fact that we can't afford it! Part of the reason we can't is my husband is divorced and pays child support but they include all the money you make. We don't actually see that money. It's not taxable to his ex. I am not saying that part is FL Blue fault but what I am upset about is the prices. If I was able to scrap up the increase in health insurance the plan is useless when I go to use it. Why? Because, I then have to pay for my own doctors visits, first $7300.00, not to mention $7400.00 in yearly premiums before the insurance pays anything. That means I have to pay 14,700.00 before they have to kick in anything. To me that's not affordable.

I read a story on Apple news about Anthem wanting to not pay your ER bills if it's a non-emergency. I think everybody should drop health insurance companies! What is the point of having health insurance if the insurance companies can now use terms like not medically necessary and just not cover the bill? I know I am just one person, but it's honestly how I feel!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Very Unhappy with my experience with them. I have been a loyal customer for many years, even paying for it when I really qualify for assistance. I got conned by a salesman and decided to try a different Ins. Well I decided real quick I made a mistake. I paid for Dec. then Jan. would start the new ins. which I kindly cancelled by the 20th. When I called Blue Cross and Apologized for making a mistake and I want my old Ins. back they would not help me at all. They kept sending me from dept. to dept. Finally one said if I paid for Jan. (even though I didn't use it, had the other ins) I could just keep my plan. So after thinking about that, nearly 1,000 payment on top of what I paid to the bad ins. (I can’t get back.)

I called and asked if I could pay my bill and the billing Dept. said I cannot because I cancelled my ins at the end of Dec. So thanks for treating your LONG Time Customers like trash! I have No ins. for the year now. I was willing to pay for January, even though we are still in JANUARY!!! They would not let me continue my plan. There would have been NO GAP! IT’S STILL JANUARY!!! Florida Blue you should be held accountable...

Blue Cross of Florida Company Information