1.58/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 11, 2018

310 Blue Cross of Florida Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 11, 2018

In the beginning of 2017 we never got the insurance we had selected and paid for through healthcare.gov. with Florida Blue. My wife at that time had a much needed complicated operation scheduled. They told us multiple times on multiple days that they fixed the problem and everything was fine. When we ran our policy numbers they had given us (with any medical establishment) we would find they had lied, we still did not have insurance. We ended canceling her operation because they denied to give us insurance.

After contacting the authorities, being mentioned in a newspaper article, and contacting state Reps someone from the company called us for the 1st time and apologized, they then signed us up for a different plan other than the one we had signed up for (they told me they would get us on a plan but when I asked them if it was the plan I signed up for and paid for they wouldn't answer me). After suffering in horrible pain several extra months and a having a slightly higher risk of death my wife was finally able to get her re-scheduled operation completed with insurance.

I had to fight them more to get the plan we had paid for and selected retroactively applied. To add we had our insurance canceled at least once in 2017 due to other mistakes of theirs and reactivated, they tried to recharge my deductibles. They also never repaid me from the overpayments for the policy that they put me on by their choice. However they did tell me there would be a check in the mail sometime ago last year, for some reason I still have not seen it.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have tried to reach a representative of Florida Blue 1 855 692 5830 and the calls are sent outside of the US. If you ask for a US representative they will not be able to do so... Means, you are calling overseas in which they will record your conversation (for quality purpose) and certainly they have all your private information. Secondly it's hard to understand their English... What about jobs in the US??? Why we are at the mercy of companies keeping all our data and health matter in another country. It's a shame. I was not able to resolve my problem, which and please be aware that Florida Blue, will not send you an Invoice to pay your Health Insurance in which at the 4th day if payment is not received they will cancel your policy and still no correspondence will be sent via US Mail. Bad way to do business, bad company, bad service. Shame.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 4, 2018

First off I have had my 21-year-old son with this company for 4 years. Suddenly this year BCBS of Florida refuse to pay for feeding tube formula for my son. As they consider it food not medically necessary. Even though his surgeon at the Mayo clinic disagrees, and has argued for his case that he needs the feeding tube to live! BCBS of Florida still denied claim. Ridiculous! My son is 21 and working part-time. He cannot afford 32.00 a case which last him one week. As he thankfully can eat some but little by mouth. I called and spoke with an agent that gave me attitude and was sarcastic... Horrible!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I made a big mistake choosing this company for my 2018 health insurance, I am paying a lot and receiving nothing, specialist are no cover before the deductible, neither your primary doctor if you are sick... This company is a big scam, I do not understand how the Florida Government is allowing this, I am really disappointed!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I would not recommend this insurance provider due after my experience that started in Nov 2017 trying to submit a claim. I faxed and emailed a claim in November, I received a response through mail that a few things were missing, I made copies and resent it out again. Once again weeks later I received another letter stating I needed to add a few more forms. I did that and decided to mail it back and fax it. I decided to check on my claim 4 WEEKS later and miraculously they never received it. I called back and was told by the CS agent it would have to go to the claims dept and they would have a rep contact me. Well I did get called, 3 WEEKS later!!!

For them to leave a voicemail on my cell Saturday. I finally got in touch with a Supervisor and Trey informed me that I could fax it to him directly and he would make sure it was given to someone to work on. Well once again for the 6th time it was sent back to me because they wanted procedure codes (which were all listed on there and with dates of service). I called him back to ask why someone cannot figure out how to put this through. He stated they needed the dollar amount for each procedure code to determine if this would be covered. I had reached out to my Provider's office and they state they have never had a insurance company turn this Superbill down. VERY disappointed in this Insurance company. They may have a well known name but I think more people should research your insurance companies before buying into them. I had no choice, it's who my employer uses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross of Florida?

Original review: March 2, 2018

Don't Get this Insurance Plan offered by the Marketplace. They send you a lot of Promotional Ads saying how great it is. Then you go to use it and you find out what a bad choice you made. They are soaking the Government for subsidy payments and give you near worthless coverage. I had a stroke in mid Jan. 2018. Went to my primary care 2 days after and thought they would react promptly. Instead the Dr. questioned me as though I was making up the story and calmly said she would order a referral.

It took 2 weeks to get the referral then another week to schedule an appointment. When I went to my appointment the Dr. asked why did I wait so long to see a Dr. She diagnosed me as having a Brain Stem Stroke which requires immediate medical attention. This was the beginning of how they handle their patients. Every Dr. visit with my Primary care has been similar in respect to the urgency they apply. I wish i would have made a better choice. I hope this helps you when you choose your Marketplace provider.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have been enrolled in Florida Blue for over 5 years and this year when we chose our plan through the marketplace we thought we would be all set. Made the payment before January and heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from them so we figured same cards no problem. We were wrong. My wife became very sick in the middle of January and we try to go to our Dr to get her help but we were then told unexpectedly that our insurance was inactive. I told them there was no way because we had chosen the same plan as the years before and paid our premium. I called Florida Blue who says the application was denied and that I would need to have the marketplace resend it.

Well it’s February 19th now. The marketplace has sent the application 3 TIMES. Every call I make to Florida Blue just makes me want to tear my hair out. They have no care in the world towards my situation and don’t give any straightforward answers. It’s always “oh there is another department looking into this” or “it’s just going to take some time for this to be resolved.” There is no accountability. No answers!!! I finally came to my senses after two months of fighting with them and filed an official report with the Department of Insurance against them. Now it’s time to see what stupid answer they pull out of their hat for the DOI.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

They are a secondary to my Medicare. It sometimes takes a while before you receive your paperwork, but this is probably true of most companies. I do wish doctor's names and procedures were written out, as it is sometimes difficult to remember exactly what was done on only a date being given. It makes it difficult to check for accuracy if you don't have this information.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

For more than two years, this site has not functioned properly. I have tried on various devices with various browsers. I have contacted Florida Blue on several occasions. Besides poor customer service, the inability to use the site made shopping for insurance very difficult. Frankly, I only chose this again because there are no viable plans in my marketplace. PLEASE get some competition in here!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Retired now, so have a supplemental to medicare a & b. They take care of everything, pay everything, and only at the beginning of the year when I have to pay my portion for the year, do I have to pay anything. The drugs are a little different. They pay all but a small co-pay for generics, and still do give me some discount on those I must take brand. Cannot complain.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

They constantly called from their vendors, wanting me to go to seminars and other various meetings. I requested that I be taken off the vendors call list but to no avail. Worst experience I've EVER had with any medical insurance company. There were several other incidents that occurred as well.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My husband and I are self employed and the new plan prices came out for 2018 on October 4, 2017. We have never received anything from the marketplace, after careful consideration we decided not to renew. We took our account off of auto draft. Everything that we received said that we had to put down our first month premium in order for 2018 policy to start. I cancelled the auto draft, wrong. On Jan 1, 2018 an email came saying, "Thank you for your payment." We called them and they said yes it did draft the premium. I asked how when we didn't renew. The customer service rep cancelled our policy as of Dec 31, 2017. He told us we should received a refund in 10 business days. I called back in the middle of month only to be told that it will take 30 days to process our refund. I am very upset. I didn't renew in the first place because we really couldn't afford it. They assure me it's cancelled.

I don't like the fact that we can't afford it! Part of the reason we can't is my husband is divorced and pays child support but they include all the money you make. We don't actually see that money. It's not taxable to his ex. I am not saying that part is FL Blue fault but what I am upset about is the prices. If I was able to scrap up the increase in health insurance the plan is useless when I go to use it. Why? Because, I then have to pay for my own doctors visits, first $7300.00, not to mention $7400.00 in yearly premiums before the insurance pays anything. That means I have to pay 14,700.00 before they have to kick in anything. To me that's not affordable.

I read a story on Apple news about Anthem wanting to not pay your ER bills if it's a non-emergency. I think everybody should drop health insurance companies! What is the point of having health insurance if the insurance companies can now use terms like not medically necessary and just not cover the bill? I know I am just one person, but it's honestly how I feel!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Very Unhappy with my experience with them. I have been a loyal customer for many years, even paying for it when I really qualify for assistance. I got conned by a salesman and decided to try a different Ins. Well I decided real quick I made a mistake. I paid for Dec. then Jan. would start the new ins. which I kindly cancelled by the 20th. When I called Blue Cross and Apologized for making a mistake and I want my old Ins. back they would not help me at all. They kept sending me from dept. to dept. Finally one said if I paid for Jan. (even though I didn't use it, had the other ins) I could just keep my plan. So after thinking about that, nearly 1,000 payment on top of what I paid to the bad ins. (I can’t get back.)

I called and asked if I could pay my bill and the billing Dept. said I cannot because I cancelled my ins at the end of Dec. So thanks for treating your LONG Time Customers like trash! I have No ins. for the year now. I was willing to pay for January, even though we are still in JANUARY!!! They would not let me continue my plan. There would have been NO GAP! IT’S STILL JANUARY!!! Florida Blue you should be held accountable...

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I called Florida Blue to get a new primary care. I had talked to Watson Clinic about a primary care that was taking new patients and they gave me a name. I tried to get Florida Blue to assign me him, but they would not. Something needs to be done to them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have gone through my first back surgery, results or not good, my pain level is now through the roof, my second surgery was scheduled which has been denied from an insurance company I pay a premium to with a very high deductible. They want me to stay on pain management which does not work. I have a wife and children and being on pain medication does not fix me. All it does is push me farther away from the people I love. My doctor has told me this surgery will fix me and you guys have declined it, there's an ** epidemic and the United States of America and you folks, are taking my Wheel of Life Away From Me.

Please reconsider. All I want is to be out of pain and be able to love my children and my wife and not be miserable. I have paid you folks and expect you folks to help me, this will probably never be read by them and all I'm doing is venting, I wish to be normal again. I have a seven-year-old that Council me and right now I can't even be a father due to you folks. Someone needs to change these policies, it's the American way to help each other and for a multi-billion-dollar company you should see that. From a loving family men I'm tired of hurting and want my life back.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Horrible! Horrible! The most Horrible experience to talk and to deal with! Stay away from this one! The web page is back to the 90s! They need 3 days to fix your log in issues! They telling you that the plan they sold you is not a plan!!! It's just VMDH piece of nothing and doesn't accept by good doctors! You need to pay for everything yourself and still can't explain what for they charge you 650$ every month! If you are going out of Florida Nobody even wants to hear about this kind plan! And MARK my world nothing is gonna change!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Daughter went to Dentist first time in year. She has cavity but dentist can't do anything. Child too scared so sends to Specialists. Insurance refuses specialist charge because exam all ready done by other dentist. Have to wait six months for them to pay for her to have another exam to take care of tooth. So basically let my child tooth get bad before I do anything or pay for it myself. Why pay for insurance then.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I had an issue with the marketplace, Florida Blue agents went above and beyond to help me solve the problem. They do listen to their customers. My experience was very positive. I had insurance with Florida Blue in 2017. I will be happy to do business with them again. I think overall their insurance had a good value. Thanks Florida Blue!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

So, I recently moved to FL and had to sign up for new insurance. In my home state, I was covered under Medicaid but as FL never expanded their Medicaid program, I fell into the coverage gap where I make too much, and too little at the same time -- a situation that many have found themselves in, in the state of Florida or any other states that chose not to expand. Therefore, I pay 265 a month which is technically more than I make since I am a full-time student. This plan has not been accepted anywhere I have tried to receive care. Their customer service is terrible, and there are major discrepancies between the care providers that will accept me according to the website, and then following through contacting these doctors -- low and behold, they do not accept MyBlue. On the website itself, I have been assigned a primary care doctor--but only a name and number are listed.

Upon further investigation, the number is to an insurance agency, and not a primary care office. No address, and when I called that number, someone who spoke broken English answered my call, with no greeting. It sounds like this plan is only good for backdoor quality, shady care. I can't fathom how this even qualifies as insurance. Sure, my prescriptions will be $35 a month, and doctor visits are $65... But how good can coverage be if it is not accepted anywhere? So, I have next to useless insurance at an astronomical cost to me personally. It's outrageous that this company can gladly accept consumers money, and then do little to nothing for them. I would not recommend this plan to anyone. I either will cancel it, or pay more for a better plan that will actually be accepted.

Please, if you have the option--make sure you do research before signing up for an insurance plan. Where Blue Cross Blue Shield provides decent plans, they also provide inadequate plans that are literally not worth the money. All I need are a couple of prescriptions covered a month, no hospital visits, nothing extra... And this MyBlue plan cannot even deliver the most basic of needs. If you are able to speak to someone about finding insurance, please do, as perhaps with an advocate this process would be easier. Consumers must be informed before wasting time and money, and I do not wish this experience upon anyone.

With how difficult the site has been to navigate, compounded by the poor customer service -- I would think the average user would share the same stresses and issues dealing with this company. I feel like I have reached a dead end here. I had an extremely basic plan in my home state which I had no problems using, and my plan was accepted at reputable primary care doctors, as well as basic care facilities like walk in clinics, and Planned Parenthood. MyBlue is not accepted at even PP, which strikes me as absurd.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I don't know where to begin, no one knows what they’re doing, I requested a simple claim information sent to be my mail and it's been over 2 months and have yet to receive anything. Called about 15 times and none of so their so called agents speak English, had to spell out every word and be their English teacher to communicate. Just horrible, they also lie to you to get you off the phone. Seems like Blue Cross enjoys making their customer's life miserable.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

This company is horrible. None speaks or understands English well and we get different answers every time we call. My husband was sent to emergency while we were out of state and had to stay in hospital for 5 days. Florida Blue will not cover anything. $58,000. They claim my husband was denied because the hospital did not notify them within 3 days of the accident. How were we to know this? We are appealing. Not sure where this will end up. Why are the self employed given such poor choices for health coverage?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have had to call this company several times. On all 3 occasions I got transferred 5 times or more. They are too big for their own good and their agents are not empowered to solve simple and common account issues. What should take minutes takes hours or days.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Takes forever to speak to someone who can't understand or even speak English. They changed my provider to someone 20 mile away-then when I called to complain and gave my current provider they told me no such person in system. Asked then, "Who the hell have you been paying over the past year?" They couldn't tell me. Took 20 min to find her and put me back to the provider I have been seeing for 5 years. Don't try going online to view your acct. What a joke.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I got this insurance through healthcare.gov. It has been totally useless the year that I have had. Thought I was getting insurance for help with cancer treatments and now have no help and thousands in bills.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I had Florida Blue with my job. After leaving my job was offered cobra, my deductible of 5000 was paid. After being assured if I took the cobra my plan just carriers on and deductible was paid after paying 513.24 month I got EOB telling my deductible is not paid. They went back to see how much of the 5000 was from me and put 2500 deductible on me because my wife did not stay on plan. There was no notification of this change along with being told everything stays as is. This is very deceitful. I am a veteran and kept the insurance because deductible was paid for the year. I could of went to VA free if I was not lied to. Now I have paid 513.24 a month and have to pay my doctor bills on top of it. I could understand if my plan was a $2500 per person but it was not. It was $5000 before a dollar was paid for any bills between my wife and I.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Let me start by saying I work in the insurance industry. So generally I would like to think I know what I am doing to get my claims handled. I have had FL BCBS as my primary insurance since September of 2016. Recently in the last two months they started denying my claims on the basis that I have other insurance and they aren't my primary payer. This is absolutely RIDICULOUS. I thought a simple call to let them know this would fix the issue. But two months later and I am still fighting with them to pay my doctor for a preventative care visit that should be paid at 100%.

Additionally they're withholding my 60% reimbursement for an out-of-network claim under the same basis of requesting "additional information/EOBs from my secondary payer." Well, FL Blue, my secondary won't process the claim unit YOU do as my PRIMARY insurance. At this point I have filed an OIR complaint because even my secondary payer said FL Blue should know they are primary and have been for over a year without issue. What's worse is I still pay them premium every month even though they're acting as if I'm not even their insured.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Now in YOUR enrollment you cannot trust this insurance. This insurance does not have reliable doctors and when you pay the bill for this insurance always charge more. They remember in past months when people placed the invoice in automatic payment and this company took out large amounts of money from the accounts... so I feel frustrated that I pay two months November and December now with the accounts of which is that they say that I have to pay again. WITH THIS INSURANCE YOU CANNOT TRUST ANY SERVICE THAT PRESENTS.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have not only paid my premium monthly but on time and in full whenever due. I have been with them since February of 2017. Since then I've had them take my money and cancel my policy, change my PCP without my knowledge and give me another PCP without my knowledge and when I found out about it and called to make an appointment that Dr. Doesn't see new patient for just under 2 years from now. Then when all that gets fixed, my pain management Dr sends me a bill stating from 04-17 till now 10-17 they have refused paying my Dr because the paperwork states my insurance was not available at those times. YET meanwhile, I'm still paying my premiums. How the hell is that legal for one and 2 we even have period that it's still being paid!

Now with this being said I tried calling their online listed 24 hour customer service number only to be told in those calls that they are closed in all departments!!! False advertising as well! Not to mention if I want to see my pain management Dr next week (mind you, I just received that letter today) I have to pay over 2000 to get in. This is a need basis not want, first off and second I can't afford that, I'm disabled and thirdly it's most likely going to take over a week to get this fixed and in the meantime I'm supposed to get injections for my crumbling and leaking discs. How insane in Florida blue!? I'm at my wit's end with them but rest assured, they still keep taking my money and denying my claims. **!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Buyer Beware. FL Blue deceptive and incompetent. I was approved in 11/9/2016 for both eyelid and brow surgery. Dr ** mother died. Appointment changed till 12/28/16. I was recovering from bad cold. Anesthesiologist suggest postponed till January. On 1/6/17 told not covered for brow surgery. No reason given. Normal procedure are approved for 90 day window.

Dr and I have filed a written appeal twice. April they asked for me to have pictures taken with eyes taped open etc. We did that and then called about results after months they set up phone consult with Dr. I was present. He said they were denying the claim. It was not in parameters. When we asked about viewing the pictures taken he said he saw no pictures. None were in file! He was denied based on old 11/9/16 information! Dr ** asked, "Why have us do this and not use info?" He did not respond nor would he address as to who and why approved 1st time. Upon me writing the CFO I got a call from conflict resolution. They are even more inept than the others I have called.

They agreed to communicate either call or write me promised several time yet failed and failed again. They apologize thanks for my being so patient after speaking and getting them to research the case and the facts. They appalled saying saw problem and word take corrective action... After long delays they called and said they could do nothing. I asked for Manager to call me. They said would forward and this would be done. Now they are not responding again. I am looking for a class action lawsuit to make this company become responsive. It seems that is only true way to get them to listen. This will go in the file as evidence of grievance. Maybe someday they will change the way they do business.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Last year I changed from FL BLUE PPO to an HMO as it was too costly for me. Since January 2017 I have been trying to get an appointment with the chosen primary Dr. Everytime I called appointments are for 2 months later. I changed Dr. in May for which I never received my new card. Now in late September I tried AGAIN to secure a new primary Dr, so that I can go in, as I have important health issues.

I checked their website for a new Dr. and chose one that is SUPPOSE to be receiving NEW PATIENTS. Called the CSR and requested the change. Made the appointment and then someone in the new office tells me the Dr I chose does not have an appointment for more than months later. This is a SCAM from FL BLUE or the Drs in their panels. They misrepresent the availability of their doctors blatantly, and they figure the patients have to take it. I will drop them and tell you, if you want a decent and considered Dr. who REALLY cares for their patients, DO NOT CHOOSE FL BLUE or any of the Doctors they offer.

Blue Cross of Florida Company Information