Find a Health Insurance partner

Help me decide

3.6/5 (235 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida?

Original review: March 25, 2021

My 26 year old daughters premium is $830.33 per month for BCBS of Fl platinum plan. For 3 months the company has denied her prescription coverage because she requires the brand. Initially, they required her doctor to fill out a form for brand being medically necessary. The doctor sent in the form. Then Prime therapeutics, the pharmacy division of BCBS, informed us that was a mistake and a tier exception form was needed. Once again, the doctor faxed back the form. Then, prime admitted they made another mistake and yet another set of forms was required called brand penalty waiver.

The doctor filled out the form, faxed it back and then we were told. "So sorry, it needs to be faxed elsewhere." It was faxed then again to that number. Then the appeals department denied it. Yesterday, We were told it is because they never received the form and that second number was not correct either and to fax it to another number. BCBS Incompetence and interference with the health care of my daughter should be crime and they should be held accountable. Instead, the CEO's and company make billions at the expense of their consumer health.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I never have to pay a co-pay. Checkout is a quick. They just look at my card or already have it on file, and say I am done. Couldn't be better.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I'm 68 years old and cannot get test strips from Florida Blue Cross even with my Dr.'s prescription for my diabetes because Care Centrix denied my claim. How am I supposed to test for my diabetes now.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I have had BCBS for many, many, many years through my employers because they were SO much better than all the other health insurance companies! Until 2020, I NEVER had a problem with them! They paid for everything they were supposed to pay for, billing was always correct, customer service was always knowledgeable and willing to help you find your answers, and if any changes were ever made to my benefits, I was notified very quickly!

For some reason, when the calendar flipped from 2019 to 2020, it all went down the toilet!! All of a sudden, I'm getting bills for bloodwork that my copay has ALWAYS covered. I thought it was maybe just an glitch or something, and it was only $8.00 so I paid it. That was in February. Now, these bills are coming in at $60.00! My hours were cut when everybody was sent home in March! My company lets us work from home, but at cut hours, so I don't have the money I used to have. I've used up what little savings I had, because my utilities went WAY up since working from home.

I've contacted BCBS several times on at least three of these bills I keep getting, and all I get from them is "I don't know" or "Look at your benefits"....which tells me NOTHING! That is, IF they respond to me at all! Not only are they sending me bills for bloodwork that is standard with my diabetes care and covered by my co-pay, there is some other doctor's name on my bill! The last time I contacted them, over a month ago now, I asked WHO this doctor was, because he's not MY doctor, and I've never even heard of him! I have yet to get a response.

I think I'm being shystered here! Bills I'm not supposed to be paying or receiving, BCBS giving me the "run around" (and now IGNORING ME), and a doctor I've never heard of......this sounds like a scam to me! BCBS has gone from five stars to ZERO stars! They've gone completely corrupt, shady, unethical, and untrustworthy! They are literally the exact OPPOSITE of what they used to be! Don't trust them! And READ YOUR BILLS!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I have had Florida Blue health insurance for over ten years now. I pay almost $800 a month for this insurance. I've been denied two other prescriptions from them, which upset me, but I dealt with it. My doctor prescribed a medication for osteoporosis and it took the girls at the office several days and hours to get it pre-approved with my insurance company. Once they finally approved it they said it had to be mailed to the doctor's office. The doctor's office will not be responsible for patient medications being delivered to them. I was told it would be a $60 deductible, which I didn't have a problem with because it's one shot every 6 months. I called to give my credit card information to have it mailed to me and was told my insurance company would not honor the $60 copayment as previously stated. They were going to count this as a medical procedure instead of a prescription, which it is. I was on the phone three times for over an hour with them and requested to talk to a supervisor stating it is a prescription it doesn't matter if it's delivered through a syringe, patch, a pill or liquid it is a prescription and it should be covered. They said they were sorry but there was nothing they could do. I think this insurance company is terrible and I would not recommend them to anyone. I am going to do some research and find another insurance company. They don't have any problem collecting $800 a month for me, but then when my doctor prescribes something for me they deny it. During this time with the virus and everyone out of a job it's a shame that they treat their longtime customers this way. They are a rip-off.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

My husband and I recently got individual insurance through Florida Blue. After being covered by my husband’s employer J.B. Hunt insurance for 20 years by another large Insurance company. My doctor that was my primary care doctor at our previous home in Dallas TX for over 23 years. He took care of my blood pressure medications. I sent proof to Florida Blue that Cigna covered it.

Florida Blue refused to cover my ** that I have been taking and coverage from Cigna for it. Florida Blue demanded my doctor to change the RX immediately to specific drugs they cover (my guess would be they have a financial interest in?) I said NO. I don’t trust a bully Blue customer service person is not my doctor so I paid full price for the **. Meanwhile, I am a retired 64-year-old woman. I have several drug allergies. Don’t sign up for Florida Blue. They are dangerous. They tell you which doctor to go to and drugs no matter what a doctor that treated you for 23 years.

Original review: May 28, 2020

During Covid19 crisis I met with my Doctor Virtual Visit through ** which is a free service provided by my Dr. But my plan only accepts virtual appointments. If member uses ** so Telemedicine visit is $40.00 per visit 80% covered after deductible. So one would think since COVID19 Stay in Place per CDC and Law, was in Place then virtual visits would be free. And My DR who is "In-Network" utilized the service ** which is 100 percent free, even says so on the website itself and I took pictures, Anthem BCBS charged $149.00 for the Virtual appointment, additionally they are confirm I am responsible for $101.21 for the visit. So of a Visit is $40.00 and I was subject to 80% then my bill should have been $32.00, in this instance 80% of Free is Free. Ok, so if my total cost is $149.00 and I'm responsible for even 80% of that the amount would be $119.20.

All these folks must have been taught with "Common Core" because it makes no sense and they can provide zero reasoning other than they are ripoff artists. The entire medical industry in the US is so jacked up. Come November during selection, I'm dumping these idiots and trying my luck elsewhere. In my opinion, stay far Away from this OUTfit, Anything with "Anthem and BCBS". Good Luck. Here is their response cut from the email I received:

"I hope you are Safe & Well! I wanted to reach out to you after having 4/24/2020 date of service reviewed thoroughly and then going thru all of the Policy and benefits updates related to Telemedicine Visits, I realized that I did not provide you with complete information regarding the way this claim is going to process. This was a telemedicine Visit and they are covered, The only provider that is Covered at 100% is TelaDoc(Only) all other Online/Telephonic Providers* Medical Telemedicine visits (any diagnosis):which are Normally Brick and mortar in-network or out-of-network provider – coverage based on plan benefits. And based on this, and being on the High Deductible Plan, this visit would process towards your deductible.

Your Member Responsibility will be $101.21. This claim does not qualify for an adjustment, as the claims department states it already processed Correctly. *I also tried calling, but there was no message center that allowed for me to leave a voicemail. I truly apologize for any inconvenience this caused, if there is any other questions I can answer for you, please feel free to reach out to me at any time."

Anthem, Inc.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I pay $800 monthly as an individual for the market place plan... $9,600 annually. Then I have to meet a $16,000 deductible that’s $25,600 out of pocket before they will pay for anything and then they only pay 60% of all claims after out of pocket of $25,600 total between the monthly monthly premiums, & a ridiculous deductible that is not affordable. I can’t believe the Marketplace is turning a blind eye to their unethical, and abusing a system that’s set up to provide affordable plans. I was hospitalized and meet my $16,000 deductible but my balance with the hospital is $26,000. I canceled my plan and have will continue to file my appeal Over and over every month. I found out it’s not the Florida state Insurance Commissioner office to file a marketplace complaint and claim of fraudulent policy actions. Thought I’d pass that on to those who have suffered the unethical actions of FL/Blue.

Original review: April 7, 2020

Terrible rates for ACA, No kind of easy way to pay bills in advance, they make you visit sight monthly and can't arrange for bank payment on next month till this month is processed (ridiculous), no payment due notifications. No easy way to shop services among providers, Huge disparity among provider fees allows for price gauging. They have monopolized ACA in Florida so it's my opinion they just don't give a hoot, I would do business with ANYONE else if I could through ACA. In my opinion this company represents every reason we should have some form or Medicare for all or ability to buy into Medicare.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Florida Blue neither follow HIPAA guidelines nor do US Department of Health and Human Services guidelines, they have some crap policies of their own which are against law. When you request supervisor either rep disconnects calls or supervisor will disconnect call, also they do not want you to record calls as you can clearly file complaint against them. Worst ever contact center for BCBS group. Rude agents and rude supervisors. They do not respect callers at all. They are just tarnishing name of a good company. Never take plans from Florida Blue, rest all BCBS groups are good and provide very good service.

Original review: March 5, 2020

These incompetence ** have caused me so much pain since purchasing my plan almost 2 years ago. I have called monthly to check on my plans (dental/medical). I understand you can't employee quality employees or have the competence to fix the problems at hand; unacceptable for 2 years. My family owns an insurance company in a different state; if this was the case we would have cleared house and hired competent employees, and supervisors...

I have spent over 200 hours fixing y'alls derelict problems and set up automatic draft payments from both my debit account and checking account. I have even gone as far to contact the insurance commissioner of Florida and filed a complaint, which they lied to save their **. Then they blame me for an error they made over 9cents; and pushed it off on me again. Then called them to complain again just to be transferred to a ** Chinese restaurant.... incompetence **. I have full detailed recordings of the level incompetence, both video and written details with names, confirmation numbers, emails, letters of threats to cancel my insurance.... dont mess with the bear....

Original review: March 4, 2020

I'm going to try to keep this short and to the point. Back in October, I had foot surgery to repair a bad bunion. My doctor chose to do it in a hospital rather than an outpatient facility because that's where he performs surgery. Weeks prior to surgery, I checked with Blue Cross of Florida to determine what my co-pays and any other financial responsibilities would be. They told me the facility fee would be my co-pay, the doctor's fee would be my co-pay and the anesthesia would be covered by insurance as long as the anesthesiologists were in my network and their work was done in a network facility (which the facility was in-network). I asked if there were any other fees and they said no. Back in June, I had sinus surgery done in an outpatient facility and these fees were the same so it all seemed to make sense. Fine. The facility also confirmed my co-pay a few days prior to surgery and when I asked if there would be any further fees, they told me no.

So, imagine my surprise a couple of months after surgery when I receive a bill from the hospital for approximately $4,500. I called Blue Cross of Florida right away and asked them what this was about. It turns out this is my 30% responsibility for surgical implements, tools, etc. used during surgery (including band-aids!). Long story short, I appealed the claim, explaining I did my due diligence and called them and the facility and was never told of this supposed 30% responsibility. They said they looked into it and denied my appeal. They say they told me on the tape recording, but they never offered to let me hear it. And I know they never told me it. Now, I am stuck with this $4500 bill, which I cannot afford to pay. I am disgusted with Blue Cross of Florida and insurance in general.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

This insurance company is a scam. They do not cover any claims. Went to see my primary care physician twice and would not cover the claims. If you are looking for quality health insurance do not choose this company.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I’ve been with Blue Cross of Florida over 10 years with very few claims and now when I need their help with an expensive prescription I need, they give me the most incredible run around. They are only willing to pay for literally a small fraction of what my dr has prescribed. There has to be a better company out there.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Florida Blue is the worst insurance company! You get different answers when you call. They don't cover anything! My biggest regret was choosing this insurance. I asked if they covered weight loss surgery and was told yes. However, after I was signed up, told the cover a gym.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I obtained Florida Blue insurance and then had to cancel it due to lack of doctors in my area and a long wait for an appointment elsewhere. Not only was the signup process ridiculous as I received emails with discrepancies about my autopay, bill due and login information...I was told it would take 3 days to "see" my cancellation before they could issue a refund. I have called in repeatedly, sat on hold, and have now been told it would take up to 15 days to see the confirmation of my cancellation before they could issue a refund - which will then take 30 days to process. This is unacceptable policy from a corporate conglomerate! They sure waste no time in TAKING money. I wonder how much interest they make off keeping our money for 45 days before they make an effort to refund it!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Been calling for 3 weeks now to get my insurance renewed since they didn’t process it. I have yet to receive a call back and no one can tell me what happened to my insurance. No one ever gives a direct answer and you just get transferred from department to department.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I needed interim health insurance coverage between COBRA and Medicare. Got coverage from Florida Blue through the health care exchange. Their customer service is substandard; you get conflicting answers when you call. Links in their emails often don't work. The website is poorly designed and frequently down. I'd never consider Florida Blue for a Medicare Advantage plan and will be happy to end this coverage.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I have read many of these reviews and at least feel better about not being the only one being treated so bad. Florida Blue is the equivalent of a Ponzi And/or Pyramid Scheme. One group, customer service, the number on all our membership cards, says do This and then when claim is filed, the claims group says the Service Team had no authority to authorize this action. Net result, Florida Blue pays nothing. Never returns calls and only seems interested in you during the enrollment period. Advice to all: AVOID THIS INSURANCE COMPANY. They add no value.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

They stalled on my medications to run out the clock on 2019. The doctors' offices are limited to The Physician's Group. The waiting time for a basic appointment was up to 1 1/2 hours. For a flu shot! I avoided going to my GP because of waiting times. I would. recommend ANY company over Florida Blue. They said I was paid in full, then said I 23.05 short on a payment from months ago. I paid immediately! Still no meds. Horrible company!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

The sales lady requested our adjusted gross income to determine if we were eligible for a discount in our monthly premium payments. We took that information from our 2018 1040 line 7 adjusted gross income and confirmed it with her that the line item was correct. Yes confirmed it. I made the first payment to start coverage. Several weeks later I spoke to my CPA friend and he said she was incorrect. They must ask for your modified adjusted gross income which in our case includes my wife's social security annual payments since we file a joint tax return.

So I call Florida Blue and was dispatched to 5 different people over 3 hours and finally reached a man who put me through the application process a second time. I questioned him about that and explained I had submitted an application and simply wanted to correct my MODIFIED Adjusted gross Income figure which was given in error due to the sales lady's mistake. He said, "Well we have to ask all the questions again." Not to worry! After I got off the phone I received an email saying I am now enrolled and need to select my policy which I had selected in November 2019 and had paid the January premium. Another mistake????

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I thought I was doing my son a big favor by upgrading from United Health Care Golden Rule (Med. health care plan, that paid 100 dollars on a 6400 overpriced hospital visit that was 40 minutes long), United did not cover any of Dr. visit a few days later, and none of the blood tests, (another 1200 out of pocket). So I upgraded because, I thought since Florida Blue Select cost more and covered more and way less deductibles it showed online plus I was told over the phone also.

I have been on the phone nearly 3 hours calling Doctor's offices I found online within a 50 mile radius of my home that say ONLINE THEY ACCEPT FLORIDA BLUE SELECT. HOWEVER, when I call thinking yes, yay, they accept Florida Blue Select 1835, I get told, "OH NO ma'am. We do not accept Florida Blue SELECT." I said, "Really? Your website says ya'll do and the insurance cost me nearly 1,000 a mo." What in the world is going on with health insurance nowadays???? So so so so so so so frustrating, to say the least. I always had health insurance with my employer and never had issues like I have now. Man, if I could go back to those days, I would do cartwheels down my street, if I was able. I always had coverage and always had solid great coverage on my son.

Now, I am older, unemployed, due to health (not bad but not great), and a divorce left me needing to get my own insurance and also for my son. Make too much for Medicaid, not old enough for Medicare, can't work like I used to be able to, so I am left in the hands of Florida Blue Select, which I thought was accepted and good insurance. I mean, it's not cheap after all. I just don't understand it. What do people like me and my son do for health insurance???? When I can not even find decent doctors in my area or within 50 miles that will even accepts it, die younger or what????

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Throughout 2019 we paid almost 20,000 in premiums for an insurance that was rejected by all NYU medical center doctors, rejected by all Cleveland Clinic doctors and at least 4 other specialists. Finally we tried seeing the doctors they accepted and gave up as the quality was awful and we ended paying all appointments out of pocket.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I called FL Blue because I had a question about my benefits, in regards to the Flu shot. The person I spoke with gave me the wrong information. She told me to pay out of pocket and submit the form for reimbursement. She specifically told me to go to the pharmacist and I would be reimbursed for the total costs. That turned out to be wrong information. I called and spoke with several people at FL Blue, who basically said, "We can use your case for a case study and provide additional coaching to our staff." Seriously? FL Blue gives out bad information and I am left paying more out of pocket cost than I needed to and that's all they have to say.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Dealing with Blue Cross Blue Shield claims department for 11 years. In 2009, claims became mostly patients' responsibility to pay doctors when processed. 2017 to today, claims department denying claims with office notes and all required information stating “partially illegible” when everything typed, or they conveniently lose an important page when remittances are sent. The claims are always sent the same, their BS excuse is inexcusable. I hope doctors get together to file a class action lawsuit so payments actually come in the way they used to without the COMPLETE nonsense they offer. This behavior shows they are hoarding patients' premiums in big banks to earn interest for their pockets and will only distribute a certain dollar amount per calendar year. Also, Medicare advantage plans deny claims, then they file the claims with Medicare and keep the change. This is horrible and why isn’t it illegal???

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Most of our claims are submitted by a provider and those claims seems to be handled smoothly. We have had 3 services done by providers who will not submit claims. Those self filed claims have been frustrating to say the least. I have attempted most of my contact through the secure message center as I don't have time to sit on hold for long periods of time. It took 3 different contact occurrences (including a phone call where the first customer service person sent me to a department that had nothing to do with my coverage) before I found out I had used the wrong claim form.

I resubmitted all 3 claims using the correct form and sent in the same envelope. One claim was processed 2 weeks ago. The other 2 have not yet been processed. When I asked for info on the 2 other claims I was told it can take up to 35 days to process claims. When I responded to that message asking if it was 35 business days or calendar days, the next customer service person told me it could take 30 to 60 days. THAT WASN'T WHAT I ASKED. Guess I'll just wait a while longer then plan to spend some time sitting on hold so I can hopefully talk to a person that really cares about customer service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Blue Cross Blue Shield fraudulently took premium tax credits on my behalf for over a year. Never provided insurance coverage. Never received one document from them. I being audited for over $8,000.00 for premium tax credits provided to them on my behalf for insurance I never had.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Started calling 9am 12/2/19. Msg said wait time 5-8 minutes. I held 25 min then had to leave. Called multiple times during the day and message said wait time 6 to 9, 5 to 8 etc. The system said we will call you back within the allowed time. Never happened! Now at 5:15pm the message said wait time 1 minute. Now on hold 25 minutes and still no answer. Apparently they don't want my payment or the entire staff is using the computers for their Cyber Monday orders.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

My employer chose this company for its employees' health insurance last year. For the most part, there weren't problems until this year, when Florida Blue started underpaying all in-network providers with whom I'd had appointments. Though I verified with the providers in advance that they accepted Florida Blue PPO insurance, and no referrals were needed, Florida Blue has been routinely paying 10% or less of the billed amounts. This is forcing me to routinely file appeals for every provider visit/service provided. If you have a choice on which insurance provider to choose, do NOT choose Florida Blue.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have been taking a medication for years and all of a sudden BCBS declined the medication. After contacting them multiple times, being on hold for hours a day, being dropped or transferred to other departments that had no reason to be involved. I finally called Florida Blue where you can walk in or call, NOT IF YOU ARE ON A GROUP PLAN! Because of Obama Crap I pay almost $1100 a month for a single person policy which only tries to deny everything a Dr. says you need. After finally getting someone on the phone I called the Mayo Clinic and had them on the phone with an employee of BCBS and Mayo Clinic. Of course they couldn't take it over the phone!!!!

Dealing with BCBS is an absolute nightmare and a joke. Why are they in a business to make people suffer? I and other patients are the ones who suffer and they don't care. A technician is the one who denied my care that Mayo Clinic. Are you kidding me. An hourly paid computer call center is in charge of our health? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? They are questioning the Mayo Clinic on the validity of a drug. Good Lord we are in trouble.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Company Information