1.36/5
Based on 70 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

76 Bankers Life & Casualty Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I turned 65 in July and began in January of this year to research my medicare supplement options. I have selected a supplement at this point but am still receiving calls, etc. Yesterday while I was working an agent from this company visited my home. While I am working my neighbor looks after my home and my dog. She has several dogs as well and apparently they were all creating quite a ruckus. She looked out some windows to see what was going on. She saw a woman in my backyard. This is disturbing on several levels. I think we all would probably agree that front doors are fair game for solicitors and such. However, fenced back yard are a different story in my opinion.

My backyard is surrounded by a six foot high privacy fence and secured with a steel built gate. I keep a lock on the inside of this gate so I am able to determine who comes and goes. Yet there is a woman standing at my back door, storm door open with her hand on the handle of the inside door when my neighbor calls out to her. My neighbor inquires as to how she got in the yard and she giggled and said she came through the gate. My neighbor thought perhaps I had forgotten to lock the gate as it was trash day. She checked the gate and the lock was still engage on the latch. This woman had forced my gate. My neighbor challenged her and she said she had not forced it, she had just used the latch to come in. Not so folks.

Her presence also disturbed me because my neighbor had tethered my dog in the backyard. She had torn her ACL several months ago and she has been crated or on a short tether to limit motion during this period. The presence of a stranger in the yard got her riled and she was pull and jumping while tethered and re-injured her leg to the point she is not weight bearing. I call this woman last evening and she denied forcing the gate. I'm mystified by this. She couldn't get the gate to close as she was leaving because the LOCK was still on the latch. It was a singularly unsatisfying conversations.

Today I called her office and asked to speak with the person who supervised or managed her. I related my story and was asked if I had seen Barbara? I said no and was told she was tiny, frail, and shy and could never force a gate. Really? There she was in my yard, at my door with the lock still on the gate. There was no apology and he asked what I wanted him to do. Again, really? Perhaps remind your folks not to trespass on people's property. Remind them fences and gates are there for a reason, to keep people out. This was a cold call, I did not request a visit nor did I receive a call to schedule a visit. However, I will be out a fairly tidy sum to fix the gate and provide additional treatment for my injured pet. These people both practically called me a liar. Horrible way to do business.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Willie ** obtained a life insurance policy with Bankers Life and Casualty Company and signed the medical authorization form. He passed away 3 months after he obtained his policy and it was investigated as to be expected. The first denial letter that was issued by Bankers stated Mr. ** answered one of the questions on the application incorrectly. The letter next went into the great feat of how Bankers obtained Mr. ** medical files. Then at the bottom they state Mr. **’s policy is null and void. It took this company another 90 days before they disclosed and actually decided to use the medical records to identify what medical condition Mr. ** misrepresented.

I filed a lawsuit against Bankers on February 14, 2014 but it was dismissed for defective service of process. I appealed it and the ruling was affirmed on June 29, 2016. I refiled on August 10, 2016 and the case was removed to federal court on September 15, 2016. Sarah ** of Turner and Padget moved for summary judgment citing statute of limitations. Summary judgment was granted on June 23, 2017 by Judge **. This summary judgment was granted without this case going to discovery and without a jury deciding discovery rule tolling.

When the Judge ** issued his order, he alleged that I had waited over 2 years and 8 months before I filed a lawsuit. This is when I realized that the prior court pleading was never presented to the court. I submitted a judicial notice but Judge ** ruled that court pleading are evidence and it was too late to add this prior court pleading to the court records. Court pleading are allegation made in the court complaint and are unverified and unproven. Judge ** is suppressing this prior court pleading to keep his erroneous summary judgment in place. This benefits no one but Bankers Life And Casualty Company.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Over the past few years I have been speaking with both of my parents about preparing for what the future has in store for them. After doing tons of research on what was necessary for aging people to have set in stone before retiring I had made a list of what they needed and checked it off as we addressed these needs. Life insurance, medical coverage and income was a must! As we started checking into these more closely we found out we needed a lot of help. An agent from the local office had called several times to come out and sit with my parents to "review their Medicare options" and they finally agreed, mostly so they would stop calling.

I decided to come over and sit in on this to make sure they wouldn't get scammed into something they didn't need. Now I am glad they were so persistent! The lady came out and went over a lot of information and explained the major areas they specialized in. Just by asking a few questions in those areas got my parents thinking they didn't really know the answers. She asked a few questions about their life insurance and she uncovered their life insurance policy was only until they retired and ended or the premiums almost doubled which was stated in their copy of the policy. She asked a few questions about their medical coverage and their concerns moving into Medicare.

My dad was able to pull out his handbook for retirement coverage offered by the company so she was able to explain their coverage (in simple form) and compare it to the other products that are out there in hopes of giving them better coverage or save them money, which she did! They ended up saving almost $200 a MONTH in premiums by opting out of group coverage not to mention almost completely eliminating their out of pocket expense. Instead of signing up right away we asked if we could take some time to time over the options as a family and get back with her but she insisted she at least schedule a follow-up appointment and call the day before to ensure it was still a good time. She asked if we had made any set plans for long term care and explained that Medicare NO longer covered it like they did for their parents if it was needed.

Finally, she ended all the questions with a few on their current and future income (which I did not like at all). Why did she need their net worth if we were talking about medical coverage and life insurance? The entire time she sat with us she took tons of notes as if she was about to take a test or something which made me a bit curious. On her follow-up visit with the three of us I found out why! She came back with even more information but this time I was ready to take notes. We pulled out all the information like we did before and she was able to point out the flaws again and marked each one with a tab so we could address them as we got to that part.

First, we covered Medicare again so my dad pulled out his notebook and showed her he actually crunched the numbers and they compared note, which both decided not participating in their group coverage would be best for them both and save them about $2400 a year in premiums, eliminate their co-pays at any doctor except $20, eliminate networks altogether and reduce their cost of prescription medicine. Next, she wanted to addressed their life insurance concerns. She opened their policies again and showed them that the money they were saving on medical could be used to keep their life policies in place after retirement OR take the money inside of it and put that into a completely different policy outside of the company that would have the same face value with just a small increase in their current premium because they were much older and it wasn't group life insurance.

We all had already agreed that keeping the group life insurance would be a waste of money so we agreed to look at her options (she even had some from other companies to compare it to). The other companies were very similar in price/coverage with slight deviations so I asked if she was a broker for them and she explained she was just trying to provide as accurate information as possible and she actually knew people with the other companies which were happy to help out. Then, she wanted to address the fact that we had not made any plans for long term care for either of them. Both of my moms' parents and her brother needed facility care and she knew it would cost most, if not, all of their savings and investment if one of them needed care for an extended amount of time.

After my mother expressed her concern on the cost the agent was able to show us a spreadsheet she had put together to show a timeline on how long their money would last if one of them needed care and then another one if both of them needed care. We all reviewed the sheets and after some calculation my dad did quietly in the corner he spoke up and told the agent to quickly get the process for that coverage started! He told her they worked very hard for their money and would rather spend it on living life not waiting to die in a home of some sort. Which brought her to the final area. She wanted to address his last statement in the means of introducing her "business partner". She explained the majority of her clients were concerned with ensuring their money outlive them not them out live their money.

Her business partner was a financial adviser that sits with clients who have this exact concern and in most cases are able to help them out or at least guide them in the right direction. Our biggest question was cost for him to come to us and review their situation which she explained, "It was a complimentary service we offer to all our clients with these concerns but in the long run it might cost us some time and tea." In conclusion to this long winded story, I have read numerous reviews about this company and decided it was time someone spoke up that had a good experience with them. If it wasn't for this agent at Bankers Life and Casualty we never would have known about all these issues we were going to face in the event of one of them getting ill, hurt or even dying. People always speak louder when upset and usually don't tell the entire story and that is why I made sure to include as much as possible.

I urge you to reach out and speak to someone that will actually come and sit down with you. Someone that will listen to your concerns and address issues that will eventually be a burden on your family. But be cautious. Make sure they are experienced with the company and have some time under their belt so they are established and not just someone that will only be with them for a short time.

Original review: June 4, 2018

They add clauses without letting you know they borrow money from your policy to pay two or more years of your premiums, without writing you to say your policy is in grace period when mine was not still taking my money. No one you speak to there can help you who would borrow money from their policy for two years. What if you die during that time you lose policy benefits.

Original review: May 27, 2018

For over 10 years my mother in law faithfully paid her monthly bill to Bankers Life for a home care policy. While they gladly took her money now that she needs it they have fought us tooth and nail trying every trick and stall tactic to not pay her. I guess with her being 96 years old if they stall long enough she will die and not collect. Shame on you Bankers Life!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bankers Life & Casualty Life Insurance?

Original review: May 2, 2018

My husband has paid for long term home are since 2002. Remember faithful monthly payments since 2002. In February I tried to get care for him as he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. WELL, was I surprised when they told me I would have to wait 90 days for care. I said he has terminal cancer and needs home care, that is what we have been paying for all these years. I could go on telling you how frustrating and painful these phone calls have been. Bottom line - we could not get any care and this company just made a windfall with our payments. I will tell anyone interested in long term care to take BANKERS LIFE, OFF YOUR LIST. Please read the fine print and whatever insurance you get make your agent is telling you all the fine print that may be overlooked just to get your trust. I wish this review was fake, but I am a living example of buyer beware.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Turning 65 soon and have my insurance needs in place already but I cannot get Bankers Life to stop calling me. They call me every day and an agent dropped by my house told my husband he had an appointment with me which was not true. Then the jerk called and said he was on his way over to see me as he was right near my house. I told him I had everything in place but he kept pushing that he was going to compare products. I told him no again and he would not let up. I told he I am undergoing chemo and I am not suppose to be around people which is true and he still kept badgering me so I said we are not going to let you in so leave us alone.

Then today I get a call and a lady says one of their professionals was on their way over to compare products so I had to tell her that if anyone showed up I will call the police as I have repeatedly told this company to stop calling me. We are on a do not call list but Bankers Life does not care. I called the State Ins. Commissioner's office and filed a complaint. I then called our local news station and asked them to review the pushy sales efforts especially since I am battling cancer, undergoing chemo and do not want people dropping by to sell me stuff so they can get a commission.

I called the Bankers Life local office and the only options available are to buy policies. I finally got a human who said she would put me through to customer service and all she did was put me into the sales line. Two months of these daily calls and sales reps wanting “to do me a favor “ by stopping by are enough. I am giving the local police a copy of the Insurance Commissioner complaint and this complaint and if anyone shows up again I will call the police.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have also experienced stalling by Bankers Life for claims that were opened prior to my Mother’s passing in 2017. There is not enough space on this website to tell you everything I have been through, so I will just give you the worst of the worst. After their reps had helped me in the past, a few weeks ago, they refused to help me unless I posted our Trust documents proving I was Trustee of my Mom’s estate, and wanted me to post it on their website. Even though I expressed my extreme irritation/concern to Stacey ** and Supervisor Sophia (they oftentimes refuse to give their last names), I reluctantly posted it online.

To make a long story shorter, we came to find out that someone had cashed 2 checks totaling $900.00 that were intended for our estate. Bankers Life sent us back a copy of the front and back of the 1 check (we have yet to receive information on the 2nd check). The back showed nothing but a squiggly signature which resembled nothing close to mine, nor my sister’s, who is a Co-Trustee. I confirmed with their bank (The New York Bank Mellon) that that check had cleared, plus one more. Then, they refused to help me anymore, and was told I had to deal with Bankers Life from then on.

Someone got a hold of these 2 checks---I doubt they were ever mailed---and likely used my Mom’s, sister’s and my personal information, and with it probably forged or created Trust documents and signatures, and presented them to The Bank of New York Mellon (they have yet to tell us which branch cashed it), otherwise I highly doubt that the checks would have cleared. I am telling everyone I encounter not to buy a Bankers Life insurance policy and why.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I asked for an illustration of my fathers Universal Life insurance policy. I hand delivered POA paperwork. The home office 4 months later, stated they didn't have it and needed to speak with my father. He gave them a go ahead over the phone and we asked for an illustration of the policy to see how it is going to perform. WEEKS later we received an encrypted response that can only be downloaded by Adobe at $29.99. Whatever happened to customer service? You know. "Sure sir, we will email that right over to you." WEEKS later is no exaggeration. I am going to wait to see when the hard copy arrives in the mail. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

My mother died in October after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in June. I'm one of two beneficiaries and they still have not paid out $1. No one seems to know what to do in that entire company... So if you care about your loved ones DO NOT CONSIDER BANKERS LIFE.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I purchased a life policy from Bankers on 3/18/17 based on $180.00 a month. They took my check and set it up on EFT... Come to find out they took in April $247.74. I tried contacting the numbers that I had and could never get anyone. Another month went by and they took another $247.74 in May. I kept contacting and found a number to call and spoke with a representative that would investigate and get back to me which they never did. From May to September this company debited out of my account $247.74 in lieu of $180. I was told they would apply the excess amount they had withdrawn and apply it to my next payments which never happened. October they finally took out the agreed premium of $180.00.

On 11/11/17 I received a letter advising that if I did not pay $500+ by 1/6/18 my policy will cancel. This is not a reputable business. I work in the property/casualty side and I would never work the way they do. The insurance document is a contract. They never lived up to their end of the contract. I want my policy voided and will go to the Insurance Commission to file a formal complaint against Bankers. I would not recommend Bankers to my worst enemy if I had one - since I don't anyone checking them out DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I received a letter from Bankers Life stating that I owed 259.00 by the 25th of August or I would be cancelled. I called the local office in Spokane to inquire why. They said that they would send two agents out to go over my policy. When they came out they said that it was due to a loan. Well I said, "Ok I don't remember a loan" but it probably was. The one agent Eddie said that they would have the fraud department investigate. They got them on the line on speakerphone. After giving them all the information he asked if we should wait to pay the 259.00 till their investigation was done they said yes. And to disregard the letter so we did. We never heard back from Edd or anyone in the fraud department to let us know that they concluded their investigation.

The only notification I received was on the 27th of August stating that I was cancelled. I'm disputing not the loan. Let me make that clear. What I'm disputing is being cancelled wrongly because on what we were told to do by the agent period. I need your help in this matter. I would have made the payment if I was told by the agent Edd to do so. I have had this life insurance policy since 1994. Why would I let it go? And they found out, the agent, that I have cancer three months prior that. I was diagnosed in 2014. I would never have not made that payment. I only did because they told me to wait till I heard from them and I never did.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Do NOT purchase any plan from this company. They will give you the runaround and lie about checks being issued. And they will request the same information over and over. I've been fighting with them since June 1, 2017 for long term care insurance for my mother. Every time I call I'm told the money they owe will be expedited and a check will be issued in one to two days. As of November 8, 2017, I was told that the check would be issued the same day and mailed the following day. They've told me the same thing seven times. Do NOT use this company for any reason.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

My mother's husband paid for years for a long-term healthcare policy and passed away without collecting a cent. My mother is now in assisted living and is paying the premiums and Banker's Life continues their policy of "denied, denied, denied!" resorting to claims that they didn't receive requested information, or waiting period hasn't been fulfilled or any of a number of tried and true ruses that they've used. This company should not be allowed to operate as it appears their game plan to is clearly to take and never give back. Don't even think about buying a policy of any kind from them.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The nickname for their added health plan is a "cancer" policy. It should be called "just a scam" policy. They not only didn't pay out my policy when I was diagnosed with cancer, they LIED about policies and signatures several times. They even lied in writing to me. Then, they offered to reimburse all of my premiums if I closed my policy. A week later, said they couldn't reimburse me because my policy was closed. SCAM. I would love to sue these people.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have an Annuity Policy I started paying for 38 years ago. Now the agent that sold me my policy has retired and it's time for me to start collecting the money I put into my ANNUITY. I'm having a hard time getting my balance for the quarter. I've been asking and writing to Bankers for over 4 months. I'm just getting the runaround... I'm going to have to file a complaint with the insurance commission.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

When Bankers Life agent Ed ** and I initially met (June 20, 2017) to discuss the possibility of purchasing life insurance. He told me it would not be an issue if I changed my mind about the policy so long as I did that prior to having the medical tests performed. At no time during that meeting did he tell me that if I changed my mind he would need to have a letter sent to me stating that Bankers Life would be declining coverage.

On Friday, June 23rd, I called Ed ** to tell him I had decided to not go forward with purchasing a life insurance policy. Mr. ** told me then that he would return my deposit, which he has done. At the same time Mr. ** told me that since I was changing my mind about purchasing the insurance I would receive a letter from Bankers Life informing me that I was declined coverage, that letter was merely an administrative convenience for him to cover my request to stop the process of the insurance application. Mr. ** specific reference to the letter stating that coverage was declined puzzled me. I was puzzled because at that time I was not aware of the consequences of such an official action, so I attributed Mr. **'s declaration to simple petulance over losing a customer.

However, as you are probably aware, a declination letter from an insurance company is no mere administrative formality. It has come to my attention the serious ramifications of such a letter. When an insurance company declines to insure a person, that declination goes into a database that is accessible to all insurance companies.

The result is that this letter will probably significantly impact all future life AND MEDICAL insurance coverage, and premiums or cost for me. That deleterious impact was neither explained to me by Mr. **, nor is it justified. For the plain reason that the letter was instigated solely as an immature response by Mr. ** to my decision to not purchase life insurance I respectfully request that you withdraw the DECLINE COVERAGE determination and letter. My letter of complaint to the corporate headquarters of Bankers Life, that included a request for retraction of the letter has not been responded to after five weeks.

Original review: June 13, 2017

My mom died 2 months ago. Within days of her passing, my dad filed a claim. We were told 10 days tops till he received the check. Since then, Bankers has made him fill out forms and send in death certificate THREE TIMES!!! The local agent he and my mom bought the policy from (Maumee, OH) DOES NOT RETURN PHONE CALLS. Highly disappointed in their customer service. He just received forms in the mail again today. THE SAME forms he has filled out and faxed in before. After reading all the other reviews, I so wish they would have seen them before purchasing this policy.

He currently has one for himself with them as well, which I'm sure will be cancelled. Not to mention the agent Nichole, has tried to get his business for his retirement. HA! Not a chance. Stay away from this company. It's shameful that while grieving your loved one, this is what they put you through. My parents paid premiums for almost 2 years on a small 10g policy. Good luck to anybody that has a large one. They don't like to pay. May be time to get a lawyer.

Original review: May 20, 2017

DO NOT USE THIS INSURANCE COMPANY. IF YOU HAVE A POLICY WITH THEM CANCEL IT AND GET ANOTHER BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE. My mother died on April 30. The policy was to be paid to my brother and I who wanted to pay for our mother's final expenses. I called Bankers ON May 1st and they said they would send a check within 48 hours. They did not. We wanted to make sure we had the money for my mother's funeral. I could not have the funeral but had to pay out of pocket for direct cremation because they did not send out the check for the life insurance. I wept because I did not want to but I had to cremate my mother and I still and traumatized by it.

I called at the end of the week when the check did not come in. I had to speak with a supervisor and I begged him to please help our situation who said that the check was held up in claims department and he would call me back Monday. It was Tuesday before he called and he said the checks would be sent out may 9th and would take 5 to 7 business days. They did not arrive in 7 days. In fact, they sent my check to the wrong address. Thank God it was my brother's. I sent them the death certificate with my correct address spoke to them several times and they still got it wrong. Thank God my brother got both checks and sent them to me. I finally received the checks on May 18th almost three weeks after my mother died. This was a traumatizing and terrible experience for a son grieving his mother's death and for our entire family.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I have had a Home Health Care policy with Banker's Life for the past 3 years. There has not been the same agent to service my policy since first purchasing my policy. I have three visitations from a team of agents wanting to "review" my policy. When I ask for a cost to get improved options of their elimination period or daily benefit amounts, I never get a return call. Their sole purpose is not to service your policy, but to sell additional investment services such as annuities. Today, their agent, Heather **, hung up on me when I insisted on obtaining benefits information by phone instead of another home visit. I wanted a dollar amount of the cost to reduce the elimination period from 90 days to a shorter term.

When you call the Denver office, all you get is a recording. No one responds to your message for assistance with your policy. I think I will cut my losses and not continue with this policy. I have read about their excuses, run-arounds, and delays in payment of claims. Their customer service is terrible. I regret paying high premiums for the past 3 years for very limited coverage especially the long waiting period to access benefits. I would definitely NOT recommend Bankers Life and Casualty.

Original review: April 13, 2017

My elderly mother bought a long term care policy from a Banker's Life Sales Rep who knocked on her front door. When I read the policy I told her to stop paying the premiums and let it drop because there were too many requirements to collect and she probably never would. She said the sales rep told her if she had this policy she would be able to stay in her home if she became unable to take care of herself. That was a lie. When Mom had to move out of her home because of Alzheimer's Banker's Life did not want to pay for her to stay in an assisted living facility. The sales rep actually told me I should take Mom home with me. I told her I had her in my home and neither my husband nor I had slept since. We could not do it. She said the policy would pay for a nurse to come to my home for 4 hours a day. I asked her if she would like to come the other 24 hours. There is no way Mom could stay in her home or mine with that level of care.

I decided to call the home office because I was not getting anywhere with the sales rep. The home office sent me the paperwork to file a claim. Until they received all the required documentation they would not open the claim and process it. I provided 85 pages of required documentation. I sent them a copy and kept a copy for myself. I numbered the pages. I received numerous calls and letters telling me the claim was not being processed because I had not provided everything. I would call and ask what was missing and then tell them they had it and what page information that was on. They had everything. They refused to pay for various reasons even though Mom qualified according to the policy.

I had been appointed legal guardian for Mom by the courts. I finally told them I was going to turn everything they sent to me over to the attorney if they did not pay her. They approved her claim shortly after that. When I let the attorney know she would be receiving those payments his comment was, "How did you get them to pay? That is hard to do!" I told him I threatened them with him.

When Mom had to be hospitalized they quit paying. I continued to pay her rent at the assisted living facility because the Dr. hoped they could send her to rehab so she could go back to the facility. I called about the non-payment. They told me if she was in the hospital they did not pay. Mom went to rehab but they were not able to rehab her, she had to go to a nursing home and passed away within a few months. Banker's life stopped paying and I could not even get them to pay what they owed during her stay at the nursing home. I even received a letter saying the claim was closed and they still owed her money.

After Mom's funeral, when I had the time, I read the policy again. There was a bed reservation fee coverage. That said they would pay her rent for 21 days if she was hospitalized to hold her room at the assisted living facility. I had been told there was no coverage for that. I called Banker's Life and read this to them. They said I did not have the correct policy and read me something else. I told them I had the policy that was given to Mom when she got their coverage. I faxed them a copy of the policy Mom had. They also owed her monthly payments for the time she was in the nursing home.

I must have called them 100 times and received numerous letters from them, sometimes 3 or 4 a week denying coverage. I was told the claim was closed and I also received a letter stating that. I told them the claim was not closed because they still owed Mom's estate money. It was not a lot of money but I was not going to let it go. They took very high premiums out of my mother's checking account every month for years. They never had to beg her for payment, they just took it, and they were going to pay her what they owed her. I threatened many times to take it to the attorney and to file a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance. They finally paid what they owed.

My advice to ANYONE is: If you do not have an advocate to do what I did for Mom do not purchase this insurance. Your health has to be VERY bad for you to collect and you will never be able to do it on your own. I have been in business for myself for many years and knew what I was doing and it was almost impossible for me to collect. I would NEVER buy insurance from Banker's Life after my experience with them. There is a movie called The Rainmaker which is about insurance fraud. I felt like I was the main character. Watch it. It is a good movie and it shows that this stuff really happens. Unbelievable.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I recently was talked into moving my money from one annuity I have had for over 9 years to one of Bankers Annuities. Within a 24 hr period I decided to cancel the transfer. The money which is quite a large sum was already in Bankers hands. I had 30 days to decide but I cancelled within the 24 hr. time frame. The cancellation was done and the funds were to be wire transferred back to my original annuity company. To say the least the broker for Bankers was not very happy with my decision. I requested that the funds be wired ASAP but because Bankers was mad, they wanted to get back at me so they decided to take a legal but unethical approach and tell me that they would hold on to my money for 20 days. This is so that they can make money off my money before returning it to me.

They could have been nice and done the ethical thing and wired it within 24 hrs. but they choose to do otherwise. They also during the transaction downgraded my financial planner that I had for over 10 yrs. My mistake by letting these sleazebags talk me into something that I should have consulted my FP first. So a word to the wise, check out reviews first and don't be too eager to purchase without taking your time and do your homework. For me I would never give Bankers another thought, they are bottom feeders and don't deserve the money from honest, hard working people.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

There are two salesmen, Daniel and Nicholas that think they have the right to latch onto our leg and shake us down til we give them anything and everything they want. Daniel has called our home at least 5 times and I have told him: We are on the National Do Not Call Registry - his response was that he doesn't have to check that because he is doing me a service. I requested he not call our home again-so he began calling our cell phones (how he got our cell phone numbers is beyond my knowledge. I demanded he not call our cell phones again because those are also on the National Do No Registry and I blocked the calls, so now they are coming directly to the door and sticking their foot in the door to prevent the door being shut.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

My dad had a long term care policy with them, but they did not honor it. We filed for coverage on the policy in April 2016 when he entered an assisted living facility, but they rejected the claim, saying he was not getting enough assistance. He couldn't get in and out of bed or dress or bathe without assistance and used a walker, but they claimed he did not qualify. He was approved, however, by John Hancock, with whom he had another long term care policy. Bankers Life did not do a thorough investigation like John Hancock. They just quickly rejected the claim. His condition worsened and he had to go to a nursing home in October 2016. We filed another policy then, but they have a 90-day blackout period (grace period?) and my dad passed away on January 20, 2017. Despite the fact that my dad paid his premiums for years, Bankers Life never paid a dime for his long term care.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

This company took my money for over 3 years. 313.00 a month for my grandfather life insurance. When he passed they continued to take money out of my account and when I informed them that he had already passed they told me I would get it when the claim paid out... I'm still receiving bills because I closed the account they were stealing from.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Unfortunately I realized that I had been taken for a ride too late. I purchased a $50,000 universal life insurance policy from an agent to whom I was referred to by a coworker. At that time the company where I was employed was fairly new and did not offer life insurance at that time. The agent came to my place of employment and met with the employees... Should they need a policy. The employee who referred me I felt was a bit shady and I made it clear to the agent {and I still have his card} that I want to be reassured that this person has no connections to his company. I felt that this company had a good reputation. I completed all of the necessary paperwork and the agent informed me that he take it with him and return it the next week. I thought that was protocol that he take it and review it.

The next week came and he did not return it. I remember the next week I called him and he said he will get it to me. A few days passed and I had to call again. Finally he returned my packet and I thought everything is as it should be. At some point I was looking at the policy and all the answers had been redone... The pages were changed and restapled. When I looked at the amount of the policy it had been changed to $25,000 instead of $50,000. I was definitely shocked. Called the office where he worked in Tarpon Springs Florida and he was no longer employed. I explained to the lady and she said she was so sorry and that was it and that he and the other lady agent were no longer there. Not surprised. I then called the main office and no one seemed concerned.

I am still paying $95 per month for this policy. I have paid so much that my payments on $25,000 are over the limit and on hold for a few months. The last lady that I spoke with said this is because it was initially a $50,000 policy. I was reluctant to report this because it has been so long... But I didn't know that I had been scammed for a couple of years. The company should be held accountable.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

My mother had LTC insurance through Bankers Life & Casualty. She received many services at her assisted care (including med distribution, assistance toileting, assistance dressing, assistance bathing, assistance transferring), but BLC would not pay because it was not a "nursing home." My mother then moved into a hospice facility with 24 hour nursing care for the last 6 months of her life. But again, because it was not licensed as a traditional nursing home, they kept denying coverage.

They would also keep asking for information we had already sent. They do not assign an agent to your case. So when calling, you always get someone new which requires you to explain your story over and over again. They never call back. Instead you get another letter stating materials are missing, when they're not! The hospice facility director finally submitted mom's care broken into personal care hours. They finally paid, but only for 3 months. And it took hours and hours of my time, the hospice director's time, and the facility director's time. Both directors could not believe how terrible Bankers Life & Casualty is.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Worse service of any company I have ever dealt with. This started a few years ago and required an attorney to get them straight. Part of which required them to acknowledge receipt of my Power of Attorney for my client. Now years later they change the address of record and send me a letter saying I requested it. When I called they could not give me details because they did not have any records on my POA. Said resend it on their upload site and request a change of address back, which I never requested in the first place.

Said it would take min 4 weeks to effect. Guess what, their upload site did not work. Said a supervisor could call me back in 24 hours. Meanwhile the duly owed LTC payments are going who knows where. They cannot keep records and change legal records without POA request and will not act on a simple request to correct the records with any urgency. I have to wonder how many 97 year old customers are being treated in this manner without the help of someone young enough to save them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

We have Bankers Life supplement insurance. My complaint is how pushy to buy other insurance, invest in an annuity. They have asked how much money we have in our checkings and asked to see financial papers. They have been told no but have sent financial advisors to my house, called several times to see if we read the literature. I feel they are harassing, and intimidation to make people buy from them. They have overstepped their bounds at this house.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

I had a phone call from a lady who said she wanted to 'update' me on some new Medicare information. She did not inform me she was from an insurance company until she showed up at my residence wanting me to let 'them' in the gate. I told them I wish she hadn't lead me to believe she was from an official Medicare place or I would never given them my address. Once I inquired what changes she wanted to discuss and she replied Open Enrollment. I informed I was done, already enrolled, she hung up on me. Bad business practice all around to lead a prospective client that you are one thing you are not.

Bankers Life & Casualty Life Insurance Company Information

111 E Wacker Dr Suite 2100,
Chicago
IL
www.bankers.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business