American Family Insurance - Homeowners
1.66/5
  • 1 star
Based on 108 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Family Insurance - Homeowners

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 19, 2017

112 American Family Insurance - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I was with American Family Insurance for 32+ years. They insured everything for me. Last fall, while I was in the hospital, a mechanical failure in my septic tank caused septic waste to back up into my finished basement. Amfam brought out Servicemaster, who not only broke possessions (they did later, after much difficulty, compensate me for the damages) but also did a poor overall job of waste/mold remediation, leaving pieces of moldy carpeting in the basement and failing to clean out the contents of affected closets, areas under the stairs, etc. I had significant amounts of mold in my basement 5+ months after Servicemaster claimed to have cleaned it.

It took Amfam almost five months to issue the first payment on personal property damages. The adjuster made pejorative remarks about the condition of a personal property item. Their payment spreadsheets are very hard to understand. I submitted claims for payment of replaced items in August. It's now late December and I was required by the property claims manager to submit a statement of loss before they would issue any additional payment. They cancelled my policy in the end. Thanks for 32 years AmFam!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

I have been very satisfied with this company. I recently had a house fire and the customer service handled this extremely well. The paperwork and investigation procedure was very confusing but their agents were very cooperative and kind during this difficult situation. I would recommend this insurance agency to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2015

I have had two hail claims in the last four years. Both times American Family Insurance had an adjuster out within a few days of filing the claim. For the most part, the adjusters did a good job, and most of the hail damages were paid for when the claim was closed.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2015

They are easy to do business with. I have been using them for 17 years and never had a problem with making a claim. They are fast and easy to get in touch with. I gave them 3 stars because they raise the rates when you file a claim and they never lower them. I made a claim 13 years ago and my rates were raised and I've been paying the higher rate ever since.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

They have been very prompt when we did have a claim and gave us the value we thought we should receive at the time. They sent an adjuster out, usually, the next day and we had our check shortly after that. My only complaint is that our insurance rates seem very high for the size and age of our home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

Have had no problems with them. Have had them for many years and had to replaced roof and they were very helpful. They are just like anyone else got to have receipt and if you do no problem. They give you option to pay monthly or year. They have good rating. I would recommend anyone that needs insurance.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

We have had American Family Insurance as our homeowners insurance company for the past 9 years. Their rates and coverage were the best we found when we purchased and moved to our current house. They are professional, easy to reach and informative. They keep in touch, recommend changes, if appropriate, and answer any and all questions. The cost for the policy we have has not changed much throughout the years. We have not had to file a claim (and hopefully never will), but we feel confident that everything would go smoothly should that happen. Based on our experience with American Family Insurance, we definitely recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

We have used American Family Insurance for many years for our homeowners insurance. They have always been very helpful when we needed them. They are very prompt at having someone come and look at any damage that gets done and also very fast at sending you the money to fix your home. The price we pay for the insurance is very reasonable compared to other companies we have gotten prices from.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

When hurricane Ike hit our town hard, our insurance company was on their job assisting us for the damage it cause to our home and the food that we lost when our power was out for a week. We had roof damage and they came out and assist us with all of our lost. That was a very bad time for us. I never been through anything like that before. The Insurance company knew that a lot of people was affected by the high winds, power outages and tree damages.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

I have received great service and reasonable rates. My agent was well informed about the products that would best serve my needs and made a special point to work with me after my husband died and I moved and changed policies. He was also very good about meeting my schedule.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

I have had excellent service with Am Fam and their rates are great. Their personnel are very knowledgeable about all their services and are always there to help with any problems you might have. It's a company I would recommend to anyone. Their rates are very reasonable for what you get. They have become like part of the family. Sincere and caring about all their customers.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

We didn't have to use it, but it was a very reputable company and I'm sure if we had to file a claim they would have been most helpful. Of course, it helped that the agent we used was our backyard neighbor at the time as I'm sure that would have made it much simpler to file a claim.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I have only contacted them once for my roof. They covered the entire cost except for my deductible and had no issues with payment. The entire process was easy they could have kept me up to date as to when I would receive payments but other than that it was easy process.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

They arbitrarily raised my rates and the agents had poor customer service in the Rhodes Ranch Las Vegas office. When you question the rate they don't want to call you back. Then when you say you're going to leave they want to backdate your insurance and notify DMV. Very horrible experience and with another agent with American Family down the road.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2015

I just got a call from AmFam, they are cancelling my homeowners because I am not on the title of the house, my husband died and the house is in probate right now. At what point is it ok to be so cold and money hungry that you cancel a policy where the spouse is living? Never a late payment. Unbelievable.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

I was driving through a parking lot and am pulling into a stall, when a lady backed out of a stall and hit me. No problem I thought, she had Amfam. I placed a claim and they said that I was 40% to blame.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

Been insured with AF for 20 years home/autos/boats/trailers "umbrella" policy. This year June 2015 we were hit by baseball sized hail storm. Took pictures of all the damage and called our agent to report. Within 2 weeks time (we told him we were in no hurry) adjusters came out and assessed house and barn roof as totaled and arranged a roofing company to come out and replace both, saving us the time/effort and eliminating the chance that we would hire a "rip-off" company. We received check for both roofs and other damage to shed, camper and miscellaneous items a week later. Had a claim for lightning strike/hail damage on house roof 5 years earlier and adjuster came out within the week and wrote us a check to get roof re-shingled. We replaced them with class four impact resistant ones and received a discount off our policy! They've always done right by us and we couldn't be happier with the service we've received over the years!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

I'm shocked and very disappointed in this company. I've read some of the reviews how you just cancel people that put their trust in this insurance. You canceled my daughter's ins after they had 2 floods to their home by no fault of theirs - 2 Floods. Can you imagine how horrible that is for for a family with 2 young children staying out of their home for 4-5 months then because you think they cost you too much money so you cancel them. We have been with your company for at least 40 years. Look us up **. I'm sure you have many clients that never or hardly ever make a claim. So I know you're not losing money.

I will seriously be thinking about changing insurance. They have had Am. family for 16 years and because of us and you treat my family like this. But I'm sure this is going to just be another complaint to add to your reviews. but you should all be ashamed of how you treat your long loyal customers and their family's. You for sure don't have any Christian values.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

Basically my home has severe hail damages, I have three different roof consultant companies inspected and claimed the roof indeed had sufficient damages which should qualified for whole roof replacement. The AmFam adjuster and his ladder consultant only agreed half of the roof to be hail damaged and denied the other half. Even my roof consultant showed the obvious hail damages in front of them. The adjuster afterwards estimates had many errors and mistakes, trying to bring the replacement cost to minimum. I tried to request the second inspection/opinion, but refused as they told me they would hire the engineer to do the evaluation. They tried to avoid the discussion for their original adjuster when I brought many mistakes and errors in his estimation report. Sounds like they tried to protect/hide the original adjuster's mistakes.

It's even more surprising with their fire engineer's behavior. Donan engineering hired by AmFam got on the roof with my roof consultant and my roof consultant's partner during the examination. On the roof the engineer agreed that almost all the slopes have hail damages, especially the roof facing to the right direction (which were denied by AmFam adjuster and his ladder before), they marked the hail damages, and the engineer even said to my roof consultant and his partner that "We found hails on all slopes and American Family should be paying for it anyway".

However in his final report after 2 weeks, he did not mention a single word about hail damages on slopes facing right. I am so surprised why the engineer did not tell the truth in his report. I am extremely unhappy with the way my claim is handled, I am paying AmFam more than $6000 a year insurance premium, and this is what I got at the end. I am currently looking for all possible ways to fight for my claim.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Including submitting false testimony and perjury... Anyone doing a class action please let me know! There was good cause for the MN AG to file false and deceptive marketing practices against AFI several years ago and there really needs to be a class action by former unpaid policy holders and insureds who had to go to trial and still didn't get paid because of unfair trial tactics such as bad jury instructions or fraud and deceit and concealment used to obtain a favorable judgement... they would rather see you die from exposure to black mold than pay to clean it up. Not to mention to hell with your related personal property damages.

Original review: May 18, 2015

My roof was damaged from a storm last year in Nov 2014 & Amfam denied claim. I called back again because my roof is now leaking. They denied again & decided they will replace shingles in area of leak but entire roof is damaged. They are extremely rude & made open 3 separate claims just to deny them all. Why pay for red door on a black car or one new white shoe? Please do not sign a policy with American Family. Save yourself the headache

Original review: May 8, 2015

WARNING WARNING WARNING. The government need to close this company down. American Family Insurance is a total rip off to consumers. I had storm damage April 10, 2015. The absolute worst service. My furniture in my business got rain on for 11 days. This company first said I didn't have any coverage but called back days later. But they didn't lie, what they meaning that they was not doing anything. Over 300k in furniture and equipment was damage and all they can do is to try to get out of paying anything nothing for my customers' furniture and fabric or my inventory and goods. I had to clean up my business move my own goods out of the rain soak building and are doing the best I can to keep my business open. It been a month ago still no help with nothing. WARNING WARNING WARNING DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 27, 2015

I recently was on a dive trip in Florida and had some EXPENSIVE gear stolen out of my boyfriend's truck and thought I was never going to dive again after spending all this time and money collecting my gear! Well after filing a police report they mentioned that my homeowners policy would most likely be the one to cover this if any. So after I got back home to GA I contacted my agent who then put me in contact with the claims people of American Family and started the process that I was dreading!

Well, to my surprise it was so easy. My claims adjuster was extremely helpful, very respectful and seemed like she genuinely cared that I got all my stolen stuff back! The phone interview that was recorded and put on record took about 1.25 hours and then the wait started. I was really pleased that it only took 7 days and she called me and let me know about the settlement amount and how explained line by line. In about 4 or 5 days later I received my check and was able to start purchasing all my gear back. I was extremely upset about this whole incident that happened to me and so glad that they were able to make it a good thing in the end! I would highly recommend American Family to my friends and family. I have only been a customer of theirs since July 2014 and will be with them for a looooong time! VERY HAPPY!

Original review: April 13, 2015

I have had American Family Homeowners Insurance for Four years. I recently reported a water damage to my bathroom sub floor due to a slow leak from my toilet flange. They responded to my claim and paid only $400 dollars after calculating my deductible of a $1000. After the payout was made, I received a letter from American Family Home that my policy was being cancelled because I do not live at the premises. I have two homes in two states where I spend equal amount of time between the two residences. They are both occupied with family members and are never unoccupied. These insurance companies only want policyholders to pay their premiums but not submit any claims. The moment you do submit a claim, they cancel your policy. Please stay away from American Family Insurance. They are garbage.

Original review: April 3, 2015

MY next door neighbor has American Family Insurance and he filed a claim to cover the damage his Sissoo tree roots did to my back patio pavers, block wall, garden, Polynesian Fire pit and sprinkler system. For the past year I noticed that a crack appearing in the pavers on the back patio. I wasn't sure but suspected that his roots to his Sissoo tree that was planted 5 feet from the block wall was causing the damage. These 2 trees were planted within 15 feet of our house and patio.

Then recently I noticed that a small water leak developed around a sprinkler head by the Polynesian fire pit. I started digging around the head to determine the source of the leak. Roots from that Darn tree had grown so tight around the riser that it cracked it. I then started digging to trace the source. From 35-40 feet away these roots from his tree had taken over my whole back yard. Contacted my neighbor and he filed a claim that American Family Insurance doesn't want to honor.

I talked to the neighbor's Gardener and found out that my neighbor turns the water off for 6 months during winter to save money. When I dug up most of the major roots and shut off my water for 3 months his tree started to die. ** of American Family Insurance called me yesterday and told me that they didn't see any negligence on my neighbor's behalf. She did say that they would give me a $1000 dollars as a good neighbor policy to help cover the damage. I had a professional company come estimate the cost to repair everything. It was a little more than $11,000 plus not to mention what I would have to pay for painting the walls to match after they were repaired. Don't buy insurance from crooks. It won't cover anything. I now have to get a lawyer to make up the difference on their pathetic offer.

Original review: March 21, 2015

So I have had American Family for at 4 years. I recently switch agencies when I moved to ** location. Every month it was a issue either with billing or service! But when it really hit hard was 12/24 as I was traveling, a vehicle run me off the road and then keep going. No one called me. I called them. They finally repaired the car after ** basically called a liar then shortly after that ** and ** at the agency revised my policy as if I did a false policy to where they dropped me. Also they put my sister who I share a household with but not insurance (she with Allstate) accident on my policy because we in the same household causes my policy to cancel.

I'm pissed at all the service I received all 4 years. I'm pissed at all the lies and waste of money. I will not recommend anyone to this company. I will be requesting paperwork to show me where everyone you around or live with must be on your policy! That is nonsense! If a complete stranger a roommate why would they be on my policy?!!!

Original review: March 13, 2015

My house caught on fire Feb. 7th and the adjustor who came out to get a recorded statement was very rude and insulting. He did not want to give me an advancement since I lost everything I own from the fire. He stated he would bring it to me the next day when I knew he should have some compensation for clients like myself that have lost everything and should be taken care of through the insurance that they dearly for. He didn't even acknowledge that I was present @ the house so that I could get out of the cold. I have had to have 5 in house reviews and he has not determine what has caused the fire yet. He didn't want to clear accommodations for my son, his wife, and his two children and we were literally removed out of the hotel due to his late payment and placed in a rental home that he has been taking his time to pay, and stated and I quote "I don't like her and the people that has been hire to assist her."

Original review: March 12, 2015

I had to put in two claims on my roof. For the first claim they refused to cover the right materials needed to repair the roof properly. On my second claim they told me they are not covering nothing all from wind damage. They replace the minimum of what you have if that. I have water coming in all over my roof because they refused to cover it right the first time. They are out to get your money. They are not professional and are very rude when you need their help in time of destruction. Don't waste your money with them!

Original review: March 5, 2015

I had an adjuster come out to look at wind damage to my roof. (This is my experience and opinions). He came and sat in his car while the Ladder Assist company did the inspection. When the ladder assist began giving the adjuster his findings, the adjuster refused to consider brittleness or pliability of the shingles. The ladder assist listed 58"+" shingles as wind damage and that the roof failed brittleness and pliability. American Family stated they would only pay for the 58 shingles and would not consider the "+" shingles. I asked for a second inspection and was told that American Family will only pay for the actual damaged shingles and in no way insures the any shingles that would be damaged in the repair and that if all would be damaged during repair that it is not their problem.

What did I pay the premiums for? I didn't ask for a new roof but other adjusters and roofers are all saying that my roof needs to be completely replaced now. I escalated it to the adjusters supervisor and their Corporate Branch Property Claim Manager. Again no one will address the fact all are saying the roof needs more than what they are trying to force a settlement for. The adjusters are rude and disrespectful. I caught the adjusters supervisor trying to use portions of the policy to deny my claim that didn't even apply to the claim. I don't have a big roof either. I am hiring a public adjuster to pursue further. From my experience, I hope no one else has to go through the same. Look at the headlines for them with AM best ratings. In my opinion, there total goal is to keep drastically increasing rates while drastically reducing claim payouts. It seems as though they will go to any length to accomplish padding their pockets.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

I called American Family to file a roof claim 11/14. They came out and said "your roof is damaged and we will pay you $8,000 for a new one." A week later they said "no, because you cannot combine a hail and wind claim together." They advised me to open another claim for wind damage. American Family lies to its customers! Today is 2/19/15 and they are still dancing around my 2 claims, the roof is now leaking. They walked on my roof 3 TIMES and then deny all claims! I am getting tired of the run-around from American Family and have express the same to all parties. False representation and a rip-off company.

American Family Insurance - Homeowners Company Information

American Family Insurance
www.amfam.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use