American Family Insurance - Homeowners

American Family Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

American Family (AmFam) sells homeowners insurance, as well as coverage for vehicles and other property. You can customize its homeowners policies to fit your needs, with multipolicy discounts and diminishing deductibles for qualifying policyholders. You can’t buy AmFam’s coverage online, but you can work with a local agent to find out if its services are right for you.

BOTTOM LINE

AmFam offers coverage for various types of dwellings, including rentals. Its equipment breakdown plan is an affordable alternative to a home warranty, but you can’t buy its policies online.

PROS

• Diminishing deductible
  • Multipolicy discounts
  • Customized coverage

CONS

• Not available for purchase online
  • Not all options available everywhere

Top American Family Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

I have had excellent service with Am Fam and their rates are great. Their personnel are very knowledgeable about all their services and are always there to help with any problems you might have. It's a company I would recommend to anyone… Sincere and caring about all their customers.

I have received great service and reasonable rates. My agent was well informed and.. made a special point to work with me after my husband died and I moved and changed policies. He was also very good about meeting my schedule.

American Family Insurance - Homeowners Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

What is American Family Insurance?

American Family provides home, auto, life and farm insurance. Its policies are available in select locations across the U.S. It offers coverage for the following home types:

• Single-family
  • Renters
  • Manufactured
  • Condos

Though you have to work with a local agent to sign up for American Family home insurance, you can manage your policy and make payments using the MyAmFam app. The company also offers customer care and claims services 24/7 and has diminishing deductible feature that can reduce your out-of-pocket cost in the event of a claim. Its personal liability limit is $500,000, and the cap on optional coverage for jewelry, furs, gemstones and watches is $5,000.

American Family discounts include smart home, alarm system and multipolicy savings as well as loyalty discounts for customers who’ve had policies for a year or more and multigenerational discounts for family members. If your home is 15 years old or newer or has been recently renovated, it should qualify for a discount.

American Family home insurance coverage

American Family offers a comprehensive range of coverages. The company provides three packages:

• Economy: Ideal for property owners that want an affordable and basic coverage plan. It offers personal liability coverage up to $100,000 per occurrence with no add-ons.
  • Traditional: Offers middle-of-the-road coverage with personal liability coverage up to $300,000 per occurrence and medical expense coverage up to $25,000. It features add-on options like identity fraud expense, equipment breakdown and service line coverages.
  • Premium: Provides all the perks of the Economy and Traditional plans with options for all additional coverages.

American Family also provides flood insurance and pet coverage options. Its equipment breakdown coverage is pretty affordable and provides coverage similar to a home warranty.

American Family home insurance quotes and rates

If you bundle American Family policies, you can save up to 29% on auto coverage and 20% on home insurance. You can also save money by paying upfront in full and signing up for autopay and paperless billing. Home insurance costs vary depending on location, age of the home and coverage type. Use the calculator tool on the American Family website to get an idea of what home insurance should cost for your home or call for a personalized quote.

American Family home insurance FAQ

Where is American Family home insurance available?
American Family home insurance is available nationwide. Contact customer service or find a local agent if you’re interested in its coverage.
Does American Family home insurance cover AC units?
Yes. American Family’s equipment breakdown coverage covers air conditioning units. You can add this coverage to your policy for $20 to $30 per year.
Does American Family insure older homes?
Yes, American Family insures older homes and offers discounts for homes that have been renovated in the last 15 years.
Where is American Family located?
American Family is located in Madison, Wisconsin.

Is American Family home insurance worth it?

If you’re looking for customizable home insurance with plenty of additional coverage options, you might find what you need with American Family. The company covers both homes and home-based businesses and has multipolicy discounts available. While American Family doesn’t offer the convenience of online purchasing, its agents are trained to customize policies to each customer’s insurance needs.

American Family Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Teresea **, MO. (American Family) have been harassing me for several months on money that I do not owe them. I paid them for one month for home insurance check over the phone. No contract was ever written or made. She canceled with me (2 days after I paid a whole month) when she found out I had dogs, & the feeling was mutual because she did not warn me she was coming to my property on a snowy day that she said she was NOT getting out. Even the main office said she went against regulations & she should be fired & I can sue her.

I paid her for a whole month & didn't even need it for 3 and half of the weeks but she wants more money after the cancellation? We had a mutual agreement to cancel! 30 days later she calls me & said she'll send me a form to cancel. So another week passes I get the form in snail mail, another week passes and she gets it back. I already had replaced my insurance. They have been harassing me non stop for $60 for almost a year now! That was suppose to be for a part of a month. I have a perfect credit score & she have sent it to collections. The lady is a psycho maniac that hates dogs. I am a widow, suddenly & unexpectedly, she knows this but yet still continue to harass me. Please do not use this insurance, she is horrible EVIL person. And do not care if she cuts your throat.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Name is very misleading (American Family) and that’s probably how/why they obtain their clients. We unfortunately fell for it. We’ve been homeowners for 27 years and have the top Homeowners Policy (Gold Star Special Deluxe) we could get for security, the Security for our home and family. In our 27 years, we have only been with American Family for the past 8 years. Luckily no claims filed in the first 20 years, but unfortunately 2 in the past 8... The first Claim was during a storm, when a limb came through our roof and shattered a skylight. We immediately called someone to patch the roof, stating they could start to repair our roof the next day. American Family didn’t want to go with them and instructed us to go with another company who’s estimate was higher.

This company and the insurance runaround still saw our roof unfinished 6 mos. later. This is where our claims agent told us, ‘maybe we should go with our guy.’ Unfortunately, we stayed the course and finally had our roof/skylight repaired after 11 months, almost an entire year. This spring we found a slow leak, that before it presented itself, had caused significant water damage and mold. After several conversations with the claims dept. and our agent, found we were not covered. After our past experience and the premiums of their top homeowners policy, which is ridiculous, they had the nerve to deny our claim. So, as we continue to pay for this ‘Gold Star Special Deluxe Super Duper’ policy, we also have to come up with $20K to repair our home. Nice huh? This is a company that takes advantage of their clients and basically ‘cashes your checks.’ That’s about it.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Company came out for a Rental, Roof leak, with interior damage claim. They agreed there was a claim there and gave a lowball price to repair it. No contractor would give an estimate when they heard it was American Family. They had both not got paid from the same company. I ended up doing all the repairs myself and working on it for a month. I submitted my material and labor list after all work was completed, around $1000.00. They asked me to photograph all repairs and there would be a final inspection. The inspector told me I didnt have to be there. Then a couple of days later they denied the claim through an Email. Stating the roof was not covered for ice build up. They also said no interior damages were covered.

My agent told me to get a lawyer. Lawyers dont want to take on such small claims as they know American Family's reputation. Even if they win the case, American Family still doesn't pay what they owe. Before purchasing any American Family insurance, I encourage you to check their reviews. This was something I did not do, before switching everything over to the lure of better rates. They raised all their rates after the first year to over what I had been paying to a reputable company anyway. There was selection for 0 stars. Small claims court seems to be my only option, which they attorney up, and I show up with the actual facts. I thought insurance was there for you when you really need it. I have switched insurance since and they send me out letters stating I have payments due. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: March 30, 2020

I Have had a policy on my home for 24 years! I've never claimed ever in those years. In those years I replaced patios roofs three times at my expense, I replaced all slopes once in that time at my expense! We had a storm with wind and hail damage recently! So I thought I paid several times with no claim to American Family Insurance. So I processed a claim for the wind and hail damages that had occurred during storm.They set a time for adjuster to come out and review damages. It's bad. Trust me! So the adjuster gets on the roof and does his review of damage which is visibly damaged. Wouldn't take a rocket scientists to see! He comes off the roof and writes a review and prints a check for $1,490.00 and comes to talk to me and hand me this check and says, "We will pay to replace 144 shingles only"! The policy had full replacement value for a new roof! They said since there was not 40% damage to roof they were not replacing it!

This is 40% damage to each slope is required supposedly per their policy! I have never been late, never lapsed, and was looking for my insurance company to be there for me! They weren't there and truly screwed their client of 24 years. I even had a conversation with a Regional manager, I told him I trust them with everything I own with the understanding they will pay claims of damage when real and visible situations arrive. I no longer trust American Family! I don't recommend to any homeowners! They will not pay claims of damage and weasel out of them! I have had several roofers come out and the first thing they ask is for my insurance company, the very first thing they say is that company American Family insurance is your problem. They deny thousands of people a year and every year, truly thieves!

Anyways shortly after adjuster left a lady named Michele called me, she asked me if I was ready to entertain a cash offer on my residents! Told her to pound sand! Anyways, I looked the adjuster named Chris up on Facebook, I discovered his wife's name was Michele! I think he shot a low ball adjustment to me and then called his wife to call me to give a cash offer on my residents. In my mind American Family insurance adjuster defrauded the client of American Family insurance to gain personal financial gain for him and his wife! American Family insurance, Patrick ** in Arizona! This is my last year with American family insurance and am currently shopping for new coverage! Save your money and don't do any business with American family insurance! They are a HORRIBLE insurance company!

Original review: March 30, 2020

I didn’t read any reviews on AmFam before I signed up for homeowners and car insurance. I’ve always had insurance with the bigger companies. After reading how the majority of reviews are unfavorable, I’m wondering if I made a grave mistake. I, unfortunately, had a fire in my house only 8 days after moving in. An Amfam adjuster contacted me the very next day, had hotel arrangements made and cut a check for emergency funds. Awesome. So far so good. Assured me ServiceMaster would be in the next day to remove my things (12 days later, they removed some things, not all.) Also, said they would put a tarp on the house. Nothing yet. I will update this post as the claim proceeds...I sure hope I can be part of the few reviews that were favorable to American Family. We shall see.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Last year we reported that we had hail damage on our roof. We had multiple roofers come out to look at it. We contacted AFI and a claim appointment was set. We were told that the adjuster and a ladder company would come. Never heard of ladder company so I asked and was told that the person would set up the ladder. Adjuster arrived as well as a person who set up ladder. Both went up on roof. When adjuster came in she tells me that we have hail damage but it is not heavy enough to do anything about. She also tells me that the person who was here was a roofing expert not a ladder company employee.

We talked with our roofers and were told that AFI has changed in how they are approving claims. One company bowed out working on AFI claims as too much hassle. Other roofer does not want to quote roof unless we deal with AFI. Called agent and left message describing problem. No call back. Called another day and left message. Again no call back. We have been with AFI for 26 years. Few claims due to deer hits and a chimney fire. Moved business to another company. No call from AFI on why a 26 year customer would leave. Feels like they no longer care.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I am my sister in-law's power of attorney. My 26 year old niece was rear ended. AFI who is our provider handled the claim so she could get a rental car quicker and they are going after the other insurance. We found out Tuesday the car was a total loss and were told her rental was to be returned on Saturday. We had received NO check to purchase another car. I ask for an extension until the next Wednesday so we had time to get a check and find a car so my niece wouldn't lose her job. We were denied. I ask to speak to the adjuster who handled this and she happened to be out of town until the following Monday.

I called my agent. He was an jerk and only talked over me and didn't allow me to communicate back with him and said he was just a sales man and referred me back to claims. I called claims again and ask for a supervisor and was told they were not available. I then called the bank and requested money upfront from my sister in-law's trust to purchase another car so that my niece would not loose her job. I had to rush out that day and pick out a car without really being able to look and make sure I was making the best option for her. I then had to for the sign title to them. I emailed my agent a message with the new car information because I didn't have time to go find a new agent as well that day to get the car insured. My agent called me back after he got my email and told me he was happy I found a solution to the problem.

It took me the entire day that I will never get back out of my life to rush through the process and everyone doesn't have the option to go get money from a trust account to purchase a new car. As of Thursday it still hadn't even picked up the old car from the collision shop. I called and made a complaint to my agent that that happened and later that afternoon that's finally picked it up. I told them the check had to be mailed to me because it has to go back into the trust to replace the money that I had to get fronted to me for the new car. As of Saturday still have not received the check to replenish my sister-in-law's Trust. I will be looking for a new insurance company because I do not feel American family had my family's back on this claim. And I will not be disrespected by an insurance agent who says after we spend $10,000 a year on Family Insurance will not get involved and do what he can to help resolve the situation.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

AFI is the perfect example of you get what you pay for. The premiums are affordable but when your dishwasher breaks, they will make up excuses not to pay for the claim. Lost everything in the kitchen even the subfloor. Check all the complaints in Facebook, I'm very sorry I didn't.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have been with AmFam for over 20 years. The only claim I ever had was a small case that costed less than 5k. The damage was done by neighbors. I would say they used to be a decent company, now their business model is to DENY everything, falsification of your communication record, and make the appeal process an IRON WALL. They are rude when you try to seek appeal even though appeal is a JOKE anyway. It will only stand to waste your time. They are more secretive than secret service, Adjuster with no supervisors, and supervisors with no supervisors. This is a company that have no leadership if I were to believe their organizational structure. I am not sure if it was because I am in IL because IL has the weakest useless regulatory body overseeing these insurance companies.

Trust me, the only thing IL insurance board does is to pass your messages to and between the insurance companies, they do not investigate. When the top is broken, you cannot expect anyone to follow the laws and procedures. IL residents has the worst treatment from insurance companies, regardless auto, home, health. Do yourself a favor, put $500 away each month in a deposit account instead of paying your insurance companies. My experience is that I paid them over 20 years $120,000, but they will not cover a debris remove that was caused by their contractor that is only $600.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Trust me, you think you're safe until you have to make a claim! Get out while you still can!!! We had water damage from a bad storm that resulted in about $38,000 worth of damage. They paid $10,000 and when that wasn't enough for us, they decided they wanted to investigate our claim. We spent almost 2 1/2 years, as a family with two large dogs, moving from hotel room to hotel room (while still carrying our mortgage) and being investigated and ** around by them, all the while just trying to hold it together as a family under this enormous amount of stress. They purposefully drew it out as long as they possibly could, taking weeks to get back to us about every single little detail, knowing we financially and emotionally were strained almost beyond measure.

It wasn't until we threatened to get an attorney involved (despite our financial issues we deduced that we had no choice but to find a way) that they finally agreed to settle and pay a pittance of $17,000 more making a total of $27,000 that they gave us when they actually owed us $38,000! Not only that, but they spread it into two payments when we had to keep a mortgage on a house we weren't living in the entire time, so we spent the first installment just trying to survive their abuse! We ended up having to foreclose on our home, which I'm sure came as no surprise to American Family since it was their design to screw us over as much as humanly possible from the beginning. They are the scum of the earth and do not deserve the air they breathe. If you have AmFam, get out now! If not, stay far away! They will do anything they can to ruin you and your family, like they tried to do with mine!

American Family Homeowners Insurance Company Information