Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

American Family Insurance - Homeowners

American Family Insurance - Homeowners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.33/5

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

American Family Insurance - Homeowners Reviews

Original review: March 30, 2020

I Have had a policy on my home for 24 years! I've never claimed ever in those years. In those years I replaced patios roofs three times at my expense, I replaced all slopes once in that time at my expense! We had a storm with wind and hail damage recently! So I thought I paid several times with no claim to American Family Insurance. So I processed a claim for the wind and hail damages that had occurred during storm.They set a time for adjuster to come out and review damages. It's bad. Trust me! So the adjuster gets on the roof and does his review of damage which is visibly damaged. Wouldn't take a rocket scientists to see! He comes off the roof and writes a review and prints a check for $1,490.00 and comes to talk to me and hand me this check and says, "We will pay to replace 144 shingles only"! The policy had full replacement value for a new roof! They said since there was not 40% damage to roof they were not replacing it!

This is 40% damage to each slope is required supposedly per their policy! I have never been late, never lapsed, and was looking for my insurance company to be there for me! They weren't there and truly screwed their client of 24 years. I even had a conversation with a Regional manager, I told him I trust them with everything I own with the understanding they will pay claims of damage when real and visible situations arrive. I no longer trust American Family! I don't recommend to any homeowners! They will not pay claims of damage and weasel out of them! I have had several roofers come out and the first thing they ask is for my insurance company, the very first thing they say is that company American Family insurance is your problem. They deny thousands of people a year and every year, truly thieves!

Anyways shortly after adjuster left a lady named Michele called me, she asked me if I was ready to entertain a cash offer on my residents! Told her to pound sand! Anyways, I looked the adjuster named Chris up on Facebook, I discovered his wife's name was Michele! I think he shot a low ball adjustment to me and then called his wife to call me to give a cash offer on my residents. In my mind American Family insurance adjuster defrauded the client of American Family insurance to gain personal financial gain for him and his wife! American Family insurance, Patrick ** in Arizona! This is my last year with American family insurance and am currently shopping for new coverage! Save your money and don't do any business with American family insurance! They are a HORRIBLE insurance company!

Original review: March 30, 2020

I didn’t read any reviews on AmFam before I signed up for homeowners and car insurance. I’ve always had insurance with the bigger companies. After reading how the majority of reviews are unfavorable, I’m wondering if I made a grave mistake. I, unfortunately, had a fire in my house only 8 days after moving in. An Amfam adjuster contacted me the very next day, had hotel arrangements made and cut a check for emergency funds. Awesome. So far so good. Assured me ServiceMaster would be in the next day to remove my things (12 days later, they removed some things, not all.) Also, said they would put a tarp on the house. Nothing yet. I will update this post as the claim proceeds...I sure hope I can be part of the few reviews that were favorable to American Family. We shall see.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Last year we reported that we had hail damage on our roof. We had multiple roofers come out to look at it. We contacted AFI and a claim appointment was set. We were told that the adjuster and a ladder company would come. Never heard of ladder company so I asked and was told that the person would set up the ladder. Adjuster arrived as well as a person who set up ladder. Both went up on roof. When adjuster came in she tells me that we have hail damage but it is not heavy enough to do anything about. She also tells me that the person who was here was a roofing expert not a ladder company employee.

We talked with our roofers and were told that AFI has changed in how they are approving claims. One company bowed out working on AFI claims as too much hassle. Other roofer does not want to quote roof unless we deal with AFI. Called agent and left message describing problem. No call back. Called another day and left message. Again no call back. We have been with AFI for 26 years. Few claims due to deer hits and a chimney fire. Moved business to another company. No call from AFI on why a 26 year customer would leave. Feels like they no longer care.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I am my sister in-law's power of attorney. My 26 year old niece was rear ended. AFI who is our provider handled the claim so she could get a rental car quicker and they are going after the other insurance. We found out Tuesday the car was a total loss and were told her rental was to be returned on Saturday. We had received NO check to purchase another car. I ask for an extension until the next Wednesday so we had time to get a check and find a car so my niece wouldn't lose her job. We were denied. I ask to speak to the adjuster who handled this and she happened to be out of town until the following Monday.

I called my agent. He was an jerk and only talked over me and didn't allow me to communicate back with him and said he was just a sales man and referred me back to claims. I called claims again and ask for a supervisor and was told they were not available. I then called the bank and requested money upfront from my sister in-law's trust to purchase another car so that my niece would not loose her job. I had to rush out that day and pick out a car without really being able to look and make sure I was making the best option for her. I then had to for the sign title to them. I emailed my agent a message with the new car information because I didn't have time to go find a new agent as well that day to get the car insured. My agent called me back after he got my email and told me he was happy I found a solution to the problem.

It took me the entire day that I will never get back out of my life to rush through the process and everyone doesn't have the option to go get money from a trust account to purchase a new car. As of Thursday it still hadn't even picked up the old car from the collision shop. I called and made a complaint to my agent that that happened and later that afternoon that's finally picked it up. I told them the check had to be mailed to me because it has to go back into the trust to replace the money that I had to get fronted to me for the new car. As of Saturday still have not received the check to replenish my sister-in-law's Trust. I will be looking for a new insurance company because I do not feel American family had my family's back on this claim. And I will not be disrespected by an insurance agent who says after we spend $10,000 a year on Family Insurance will not get involved and do what he can to help resolve the situation.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

AFI is the perfect example of you get what you pay for. The premiums are affordable but when your dishwasher breaks, they will make up excuses not to pay for the claim. Lost everything in the kitchen even the subfloor. Check all the complaints in Facebook, I'm very sorry I didn't.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have been with AmFam for over 20 years. The only claim I ever had was a small case that costed less than 5k. The damage was done by neighbors. I would say they used to be a decent company, now their business model is to DENY everything, falsification of your communication record, and make the appeal process an IRON WALL. They are rude when you try to seek appeal even though appeal is a JOKE anyway. It will only stand to waste your time. They are more secretive than secret service, Adjuster with no supervisors, and supervisors with no supervisors. This is a company that have no leadership if I were to believe their organizational structure. I am not sure if it was because I am in IL because IL has the weakest useless regulatory body overseeing these insurance companies.

Trust me, the only thing IL insurance board does is to pass your messages to and between the insurance companies, they do not investigate. When the top is broken, you cannot expect anyone to follow the laws and procedures. IL residents has the worst treatment from insurance companies, regardless auto, home, health. Do yourself a favor, put $500 away each month in a deposit account instead of paying your insurance companies. My experience is that I paid them over 20 years $120,000, but they will not cover a debris remove that was caused by their contractor that is only $600.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Trust me, you think you're safe until you have to make a claim! Get out while you still can!!! We had water damage from a bad storm that resulted in about $38,000 worth of damage. They paid $10,000 and when that wasn't enough for us, they decided they wanted to investigate our claim. We spent almost 2 1/2 years, as a family with two large dogs, moving from hotel room to hotel room (while still carrying our mortgage) and being investigated and ** around by them, all the while just trying to hold it together as a family under this enormous amount of stress. They purposefully drew it out as long as they possibly could, taking weeks to get back to us about every single little detail, knowing we financially and emotionally were strained almost beyond measure.

It wasn't until we threatened to get an attorney involved (despite our financial issues we deduced that we had no choice but to find a way) that they finally agreed to settle and pay a pittance of $17,000 more making a total of $27,000 that they gave us when they actually owed us $38,000! Not only that, but they spread it into two payments when we had to keep a mortgage on a house we weren't living in the entire time, so we spent the first installment just trying to survive their abuse! We ended up having to foreclose on our home, which I'm sure came as no surprise to American Family since it was their design to screw us over as much as humanly possible from the beginning. They are the scum of the earth and do not deserve the air they breathe. If you have AmFam, get out now! If not, stay far away! They will do anything they can to ruin you and your family, like they tried to do with mine!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

On 7/12 some items was stolen from my home, I filed a police report! Jessica ** was my claim adjuster. She transfer my claim to Lara **. They treated me as if I was the suspect versus as I was the victim. I ask for a supervisor to call me & still to this day I haven't receive a call from one.. But got a call & text from a guy at 7am saying he was with a 3rd party & helping out! They trying not to pay me for the items that was stolen, although it's a suspect in custody! They stated they taking so much ff for depreciation when Louis Vuitton don't depreciate!

I filed my claim 7/15 & still haven't receive payment! This is the worse experience in the world I've ever receive! I don't recommend this company to anyone. I'll be filing a complaint with the Cincinnati Insurance Board as well as switching homeowner insurance companies! But my local agent Douglas ** was wonderful! PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS COMPANY & I'VE BEEN WITH THEM 5YRS & REGRET IT!

Original review: June 27, 2019

I had a water emergency in my basement and the process has been excruciating!! I have been lied to, misrepresented and bullied by this company. Very few contractors will deal with AM FAM!! I am on my third, as the other two just walked away in disdain. They are offering about 1/4 the replacement cost and I have been paying for full replacement cost for years. Meanwhile my entire basement is a wasteland. Do not waste your time and money with this company!!

Original review: June 27, 2019

I had a fire in my kitchen on November 16th 2018. American Family Insurance Company's adjustors, contractor and inspector swore that the smoke did not penetrate the walls of my home. They were willing to leave toxic smoke in the cavities of my house which could cause serious health concerns for my family. The offer that they made to restore my house to its original condition before the fire was a fraction of what it should have been. I had to hire a construction company and a public adjuster because they were denying clearly visible damages to my house.

They use a stall tactics by not only cancelling 3 inspections appointments the day of but they hire a third party to do a partial inspection of your contents. American Family Insurance Company denies having received the results for months then refuse to reveal the inspection report. That 3rd party inspector said that American Family Insurance company had him do hundreds of partial inspections on residents and businesses. They used to be okay on paying out claims but now they are the worst he has ever seen in his career.

They put me in a one-room with one bed and lied and said that that is all my policy allows me to have. My contractor ask to take down the middle bedroom wall that was butted up to the kitchen where the fire was because it tested positive for smoke. The inspector for American Family Whispers to the American Family adjuster, "That won't cost too much." They are not concerned about restoring your house back to its original condition.

Smoke filled the double pane glass of my vinyl windows throughout my house. I ask my adjuster about my damaged Windows due to the smoke and he replied they're not damaged. American Family Insurance Company is falsely advertising how they handle their claims. They say they're going to protect your dreams and that is the complete opposite of what they have been doing to me. If you have also been mistreated, partial delayed inspections and denial of clearly visible damages I would like to know. I have a list of people who have been taken advantage of by American Family Insurance Company. We welcome you to come aboard with our team to tell our stories to the proper departments so that children, grandchildren, the elderly and families lives and dreams are not destroyed.

STOP AMFAM ABUSE.

American Family Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

American Family Insurance has operated for over 80 years, and it offers a wide range of insurance policies. The company offers homeowners insurance in more than 19 states across America.

• Long history of service: The company has been around for over 80 years, and they have decades of experience offering homeowners insurance policies.

• Awards: American Family Insurance has been the recipient of several awards over the years, including an Overall Outstanding Participation Award from the National Association of Women Business Owners, a Top 50 Employer from the Readers’ Choice Awards in disABLED Magazine and a Gold Level Award from the Wellness Council of America.

• Customer service: American Family Insurance offers a wide range of customer service options, including phone or online.

• Location: American Family Insurance is not offered in all 50 states, so it’s not a convenient or feasible option for everyone.

• Processing time: Be sure to check American Family Insurance’s reputation for claims processing time. If so, it could be inconvenient for policyholders who need money in emergency situations and do not want to wait a long time for their insurance claim to be handled.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor