1.69/5
Based on 118 reviews that contain star ratings

American Family Insurance - Homeowners

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

122 American Family Insurance - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 25, 2018

My ex boyfriend talked me into switching from State Farm in December. He said I'd get a discount for bundling my home and auto insurance. Well 90 days ago my home was robbed while I was gone for almost $12,000 worth of things and cash. Then 2 weeks later I was in a car accident. They did a good job on my car accident except they gave half to my ex boyfriend My Home claim.

I'm still playing the waiting game while getting excuses. "It's still under investigation." I was told a week ago "We'll have a decision 7/25 after our committee meeting..." Yeah I had to get ahold of her and once again another excuse saying meeting was cancelled and now I have to wait a whole other week for an answer. Just excuse after excuse. My savings is gone from having to move and now might lose utilities because people can't do their job. I'll never recommend Amfam to anyone ever again. Guess I'm going to go start getting a lawyer and see how she likes that.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Their rates go up with any violation (no damage claims) yet do not go down for safe driving for decades! Also, our son turned 25 without any discount either. Time for a change.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 2, 2018

I have had Am-Fam coverage on 3 different homes over a space of 28 years. I have had 4 claims on my homes, mostly from weather related events. Claims dept. sent adjusters out quickly and they had their approved contractors on the job in a timely fashion. Cost of damage repair was never a problem. My agents over the years was always helpful.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Been a customer for 18 years. Talked to their marketing dept manager. I asked after 10 years no discounts for customers but what I asked her is your donation to Green Bay Packers and Univ of Wisc. and more why not customers. She said it is a investment and the way she worded she fancy letter to like it or lump it. I asked to talk to the Pres. on Ins company. Big companies don't care. Goodluck. I am shopping for a new company.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Worst ins. co. to do business with. They sold me on all the extra rider policies for roof and siding. Had strong storm come thru and lifted shingles and water intrusion on sheathing. Adjuster called it "Snow Seepage" and that in Minnesota, because I have a 4x12 roof, the snow actually seeps past the shingles. Not ice damage, just snow seepage. Claim denied. They will sell you the world and tell you how great it is, how "We'll be here for you" and when it comes down to it they will turn and run. I'm replacing one side of my 9 year old roof due to this. My rider policy - useless. My agent... Useless. My faith in Am Fam. Gone. I will never, ever recommend Am Fam to anyone. Going forward, I will be looking elsewhere for my insurance needs. Even if it costs me more in the long run.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: May 8, 2018

We have been with American Family Insurance since 2005. We had both our home and vehicles insured with them. We canceled our car insurance after a trailer backup accident with our truck, approx. 3 years later. The agent called us and was angry about the cancellation. I was shocked that an agent would do that. That was REALLY strange to us, maybe he was having a bad day? However, I kept the home insurance. My home loan company, l paid American Family Ins. our yearly premium APRIL 20th.

We received the 10 day premium for 2018 back, as our yearly insurance was due April 30. My new insurance company notified American Family about the cancellation of them on APRIL 20TH. I called and notified my agent's personnel in Yelm about our cancellation A WEEK LATER. She advised me they would be sending out a reimbursement check. She was not very informative, she did not know when the check would be issued. It has been 2 weeks since I spoke to her. After reviewing complaints on this site, I say WATCH OUT for this company... We also realized we were being overcharged for TOO LOW coverage!!! Stay away... Scary insurance company.

Original review: March 31, 2018

We had a 3 yr old water heater fail which caused extensive damage to our master bath. Our home is a custom, and the master bath has 2 large sink/counter areas on opposite walls, with a marble top. The jetted tub also has the same marble surround. When we realized that the marble counter and surround would break during demolition, I asked about matching the marble to the other sink/counter on the opposite side of the bathroom. American Family Insurance states “no,” saying that only damaged items would be replaced and that our policy doesn’t call for matching existing construction. Bear in mind we have our home insured for over 1.3 million. When I told the adjuster that this was unacceptable, he just stated... sorry. NEVER buy a policy with American Family.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Our experience was absolutely TERRIBLE. Our home had damage due a hail storm. Submitted claim, AmFam's adjuster came out and assessed home damage- submitted. Quality Assurance came out and agreed with initial adjuster and actually said it was underestimated just slightly. The desk adjuster denied both AmFam's adjuster and QA and never once viewed our home and denied 75% of the claim- said I guess you will need to go appraisal. Appraisal means paying for another home inspection from an outside adjuster and umpire- another $2100 in addition to your deductible. Guess what- they agreed with the initial adjuster.

What I have gathered, many people will avoid appraisal- and guess how much that saves AmFam? They were anything but honest, respectful or helpful. I am grateful that my home was not destroyed, I cannot imagine the compounded stress of that and working with such a dishonest insurance company. To top it all off they will only cover 80% of our home, and the last 20 percent that did not match, repeating our agents' words: "We don't care if one side is one color and the other side a complete different color, we don't care. Even if you had another supplement added, it doesn't necessarily matter". I would advise STAY AWAY.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We have been a loyal customer of the same agent for 13 years and American Family. We have had minimal claims. Our property values have increased so therefore so has our insurance and the $$$ going into their pockets (agent and AmFam). They never contact us to review our policy at renewal time or check to ensure we have the appropriate coverage but continue to raise our rates. Happy to announce that we have found a new agent and insurance company who is effectively saving us 20% as well as providing excellent customer service. When I contacted our agent to advise...after 13 years he didn't even act like it mattered. I wish it didn't matter to me when I lost a customer. Must be nice to be that flush. You must be when you are underinsuring by 200k on someone's house and overcharging by 20%. Thank goodness it didn't burn down. Good luck to American Family and our agent in Shawnee KS and may you go bankrupt soon!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

So glad it's now a mutual organization. Just reviewed and updated my homeowner's and agent helped me save $800 a year. Very prompt service. Been with company 30 years and it's getting better.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

We've owned our home for 7 years now, and have had 2 insurance claims. Both were handled quickly by AmFam. Our agent is kind, and very thorough when reviewing our coverage. Our first claim was only a few months after we had moved in. Our A/C went out just before the arrival of the dreaded AZ summer. The repairman we called out said that we needed a new unit and that it looked like ours had hail damage (there had just been a big hail storm in the area). He advised us to call our insurance company. The AmFam inspector came out the day after I called to start the claim. He went up on our roof and around all exterior sides. He agreed that we needed a new A/C, and also a new roof, a new shed, stucco repair/repainting, and several new window screens. The entire process was amazingly fast and SO easy. They really walked us through everything step by step and helped us find reputable companies to do the work.

Our second claim was a year or two later. A drunk driver plowed through the block wall that surrounds our backyard. Destroying our pool pump/filter and knocking several cinder blocks into our pool. His insurance was taking a very long time to do anything about it, so AmFam sent out an inspector right away. They paid for a new cinder block fence, the stucco on said fence, a new pool pump/filter, and for the pool to be resurfaced. Then they did all the work to get repaid through his insurance. It was, again, very fast and completely painless for us. We have home/auto/life through them and recommend the company to anyone seeking insurance. Especially those who live in our area.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We had a major storm (hail) that hit last summer and we were out of town. We had met with a contractor on damage on our home and had some coverage for the siding, not the downspouts or the roof. Clear easy to spot hail damage on the downspouts. Our neighbors all with different coverage/ins had their roofs replaced all with different insurance companies. The adjuster would not go on our roof and had to reschedule a different date for another adjuster to do the claim (write up).

Our house is ranch style, with an area that I wouldn't even consider steep. The first adjuster however wrote up the report. LOL! He denied any damage on our roof and when I asked for a second opinion (independent contractor/etc) to review the roof he denied this, as we worked up the chain of command we were able to work with someone that was able to see the damage on new photos that were taken.

The lady asked if we had anyone else referred/or on our roof- No one, or a second opinion. She had seen pics and I stated no. The 1st adjuster who didn't get on our roof stated no we couldn't have a second opinion. The lady stated "Well this looks like significant damage on your roof" and, "I would like to have our roofing engineers come out and take a look." ;) They found only two small areas where there was damage and sent us a check that wouldn't cover 3 downspouts. LOL... 23 years working with them and we have only had a few claims... In the process of dropping them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I've been an American Family policyholder for two years. I recently had an apartment fire and I've been treated horribly by claims adjuster. I also found out that I am grossly underinsured for personal property and over insured for liability. She's been dragging her feet with paying my claim and looking for any and every reason to deduct from the settlement. She had the nerves to ask if I'd found another apartment yet, like I'm some moocher. I found one a week after the fire, shes holding up the process. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

April 2017 we had a tree fall through our home in a wind storm. Everything was going along well until the final invoice from our contractor was submitted. Our claim was a large claim given one end of our home had to be completely torn down and rebuilt. The damaged end of the home included the living room with a wood stove and the master bedroom. We were told the wood stove needed replaced because it didn't meet an emission code and once removed from the home it could not be put back in. So, the contractors installed a new stove. All we asked was our home have a functioning wood stove just as it did before the damage. Our home is a rambler and it required the entire length of roofing removed. The engineer American Family hired stated the sheeting underneath needed to be re-nailed due to shock wave from being hit so hard by the tree. The tree hit all the way to the foundation.

When the final invoice was submitted, American Family said the garage area was not damaged by the tree so they would not cover that portion of new roofing. How is it that all the roof is affected by shock wave except the area over the garage? They attempted to meet the old portion to the new portion and it looked horrible due to the thickness of the old roof. It certainly wasn't the way it looked before. And even though the contractors gave American Family the ordinance papers showing the wood stove could not be replaced, they say it could have just been cleaned. Why would the contractors install an unapproved stove and then be liable for it if or when it failed?

Our home was completed two months ago and the invoice submitted. The contractors did a good job getting it back to the way it was. We were assured that American Family would pay for that to happen, yet I have an $8300 balance they don't want to cover! In good faith we pay our premiums to ensure that in the event of a disaster our home can be as it once was. You certainly would expect your insurance to pay the contractors for the work they did to restore your home.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We had a home invasion and I contacted the police and insurance company, talked to adjuster and she stated that my fiance things wouldn't be paid so we had a disagreement, two days later a investigator contacted me and all of a sudden he went on a rant about me having a felony and maybe my fiance set it up and I'm a man with my own company, I don't need to steal.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

American Family Insurance fraudulently switched my insurance policy from replacement value to actual cash value without my knowledge or consent (I have an admission from the agent that they did this in writing in an email). I contacted my agent and demanded repeatedly in emails he switch it back. I found out he hadn't when they then denied a claim the next year. My roof was damaged and the interior walls were saturated with rain water. They denied it citing they exclude damage caused by animal "nesting".

They provided no proof whatsoever that an animal caused the damage. There was no evidence of an animal was ever present, ie, there were no scratch marks, bite marks, hair, or droppings etc. Furthermore, there were insurance claims at other properties in the area due to storm damage around that same time. I complained through their channels and got NO HELP. A public insurance adjuster just recommend I get a lawyer because what they did was so wrong.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I have been paying Homeowners for 17 years and just filed my 3rd claim, in 17 years on my roof. My contractor says it's hail damage and the adjuster agreed that it was damaged, but not enough to be covered!!! My contractor is livid!!! We will see what happens because this is not over!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I have been with AMFAM for about 5 or 6 years. Late last year I noticed shingles were missing from my roof so my husband started calling contractors so we could find out how much the repairs would be. We received 2 quotes and both said it was due to wind damage and needed to be replaced. They said to contact your insurance because they have to pay for the damage. Not until they said contact your insurance company that never crossed my mind. This is my husband and I first home and first time having such a BIG problem so I just assumed as homeowners we were responsible, it completely went over my head that we have homeowners insurance for things like this. Well, AMFAM made me wish I had just remained ignorant to what homeowners insurance is supposed to pay for.

When I called my agent he suggested that I have a reputable company that he has dealt within the past come out to look at it before putting in a claim because once you file a claim it remains on your account whether they pay or not. So we contacted this company and they said the exact same thing the other contractors said. I put the claim in and the drama began.

The adjuster contacted me and seemed more interested in the fact that my roof was 8 years old than he did with the wind damage. Before he even came to the house he asked me on the phone how old was my roof, when I told him it was 8 years old, he said, "Oh, it's gonna need to be replaced soon anyway." That was the first strike. I arranged for a contractor to meet him at the house because he said he didn't have a ladder high enough to get on the roof. A few weeks later I received his results stating that repairs would cost $200-300 and my deductible was more than that so they would pay nothing and that my roof was deteriorating. When I called him he said he just didn't think it needed to be replaced due to the damage because the wind damage was minor and that I still have a couple of years before I need to replace it.

I waited for about a month and let all that soak in and decided to file an appeal. The roofing company's owner that we decided to go with used to be an adjuster and he said that he could represent me with the company and that it would be a tough fight because he has dealt with them before and they are the worst company when it comes to paying for a roof. He said they almost never approve for a roof to be replaced. Well, he was right. AMFAM did everything they could to avoid and deny my claim. They actually even changed adjusters on me 3 times in one week. And then they had the nerve to send me a letter advising that they would no longer allow me to keep the roofing coverage I have on my policy, they were changing it to a cash roofing policy, which means if they have to pay anything on the roof, they would pay based on the age of the roof.

They stopped returning calls and refused to talk to me because they said I had representation and they could only speak to him. In the beginning they asked for pictures and once the pictures were sent (several times) they kept saying they did not receive them. My new policy took effect on August 13th but we started this process way before then and they made sure they held out until then. I just decided that if they will not pay, I would rather pay for it myself instead of having a paid out claim on my record and not be able to find another company because of the claim. They treated us so poorly that it kills me to still be with them to this day. I am definitely searching and getting quotes from other companies because I refuse to remain with a company that treats paying customers like this. And I forgot to mention that they refused to send out another adjuster to look at the roof a second time.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have been a customer of American Family for 33 years with homeowners, auto, boat, and life ins. This past year I had my roof blow off large sections of my roof due to high winds, I called Am Scam to file a claim. I was told to get someone out to repair what they could so that no further damage of the interior would be damaged and they would reimburse me. Did that... They sent out an adjuster who then stated, “Oh it’s fixed.” So they would apply it to my deductible, nothing further they can do. Two weeks later the temporary fix, blew off again with much more this time. I called back, apparently they open a second claim, (which should still be the first claim) for them to tell me, “Wind damage is not covered.” After much arguing I ended up paying for a whole new roof out of pocket. 10K...

Now, I try to get away from this awful company to find out no other insurance company will quote me because I have two claims, which paid out 0... For 3 years, I cannot even get a quote. Furthermore, the broker who has appeared to be a friend for 33+ years tells me, “Oh, that's strange” because he and his secretary both just got new roofs paid for by Am Fam. Umm, how does this make me feel better???

I threaten to cancel all my coverage, and he says, “It’s ok I don't make that much money on your stuff anyway!!!” REALLY!!! His name is Sam ** out of Buffalo Grove... STAY CLEAR!!! Now I'm stuck with this terrible company until 2019. Thanks for all your help Sam. NOTHING... and I warn all you consumers to avoid this company. PS. Most of the houses in my sub division got all new roofs paid for by State Farm and other good reputable companies. I am the only one who wasn't covered by insurance for wind damage. Well good thing the broker got his covered though. HMMMMM!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

We have had our home and car insurance through American Family for more than 30 years. We have found their rates and policy coverage to be very competitive, but most importantly their customer service is exceptional!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I purchased a second vehicle. I then decided to add to my auto insurance policy auto loan gap coverage since I had 2 loans! I called the home office and requested that auto gap loan coverage be added to my premium. American Family's agent was glad to do so. Gap Loan coverage as most people understand to be pays off the loan if your car is totaled in an accident. The agent never clarified for me that what they sell is called Loan Assistance Coverage and pays only 25% of the negative balance should your vehicle be totaled. Had the agent done so I would have not purchased this ridiculous product!

Of course a few months after I added this to my policy the car was in fact totaled as it sat in a parking lot by a semi! It was only after the fact, and nearly a month after the accident and with repeated efforts on my part to talk to someone about Gap Coverage (see definition of runaround in dictionary!) that I finally received a email from the home office informing me that my coverage would pay only 25% of the remaining balance of the loan! I clearly stated that I wanted full auto loan Gap Coverage for my cars during my call to the home office. I am now left holding a bag for nearly $4,000.00!

I live in Minnesota. The Department of Commerce has informed me that they need to see the original policy to see if they have in fact done anything wrong. My policy does state that I added Loan Assistance Coverage; but I never sat down and read what I actually bought. Why wouldn't I trust an insurance agency that has been around for decades? So Commerce has informed me that it may be in fact too late to do anything despite being manipulated by my own insurance company! I am going to file a complaint with the BBB and Commerce anyway because I feel that it is just plain wrong what they have done. Do not trust this company! I truly wish that I had checked them out beforehand.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I had two leaks in my house because of frozen pipes. One between two sheetrocked walls, and three 2x4s. The other one was in my cemented and carpeted crawl space. I found the crawl space leak after I left the hose on while using the outside faucet in my front yard. The other leak was when I turned on the sprinklers. We found this one after plumbers came by and mentioned that the problem was with my shower. I did not believe this so we tore down our sheetrock. That's when we found the leak between the 2x4s!!!

Imagine when the claims were denied because, according to American Family, I should have let them know when the leaks first started!!! How were we supposed to know if one leak was inside a wall and between 2x4s? How was I supposed to find the leak in the crawl space if the outside faucet was not on AND we are not in the crawl space ALL the time? I know that what American Family's lawyer did was wrong! I believe this is cheating a family by not covering one penny of all the damages caused to my house!!!

Original review: June 6, 2017

Protect my dreams? You have got to be kidding. Despite the fact that my father owned an American Family Agency while I was growing up and that I have used American Family for my insurance needs my entire life, American Family dropped my home insurance after a couple nature caused claims over a several year period. I live in an area with lots of hail – which can’t be avoided. And that is exactly WHY I have insurance.

I have had many awesome offers of insurance over the years at a better rate, but chose to stay loyal to American Family despite the opportunity to save considerable money. Yet after these claims, American Family dropped me like a hot potato. The real kicker was that I found out they had not renewed my home policy BY ACCIDENT. I called to ask a question and was told by my local agent that my homeowner's policy had NOT been renewed! The local agent said that a letter had been sent to inform me several months earlier... a letter I had NEVER received. I didn’t receive any additional notices or even a courtesy call from my local agent to discuss this decision with me. My local agent clearly dropped the ball on this one!

After my entire family has remained loyal to American Family for fifty years plus – brother, sisters, niece, nephews, mother, children… I am greatly disappointed. I will now have to go back and tell the many people who I recommended American Family to about the way I was treated. This is a truly lousy way to treat a long term loyal customers. Thanks for shattering MY dreams.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I was a customer with the same agent for 24 years- since I was 16 years old. I have referred over 100 customers to him as well. After years went by, he forgot what customer service and loyalty was. He became greedy. I will pay more for that. I moved my 2 cars and then received a notice that my house was going to be cancelled. I have never had a claim. Good Riddance American Family Insurance. I was really hurt and upset over all of this because I took pride in being a part of a company so long- but I am happy now to be with a company that takes pride in their customers. Good bye Franklin, IN branch of American Family- remember you can bury your wealth.

Original review: April 24, 2017

Originally signed on with Am Fam last summer as we were moving from Seattle to Phoenix. Original Agent (Lacy **) was nice at first. Told her originally that we wanted an agent close to us. In no way, shape or form did she tell us that she was moving from 4.5 miles from us to 23.5. Totally made me mad. Then, she never wanted to come to our house... We were always supposed to go out to her office. Screw that, changed Am Fam agents to one closer.

Now, 8 months into our policy... we had a theft from our garage. New agent didn't file claim, we had to. Agent never seems to know what is going on with the claim, and it was 3 weeks ago today that it was filed. Claims Adjuster... whom I had to track down, doesn't return calls, and when you finally do get a hold of him... it's like you never get a straight answer as to when things will happen. Then, he claims he will email you and he doesn't. American Family Insurance absolutely has the worst customer service that I have dealt with!!! I would never recommend them to anyone!

Original review: March 6, 2017

American Family hired an outside investigator to examine the cause of the fire, no problem, but is stalling to pay out expenses of personal property. Still under investigation. American Family Insurance is trying to put the blame on someone else to avoid losses to their company. Been almost two months, but haven't heard what the cause is or covering the loss. I am disgusted with them and their process. Seems as though they are avoiding the payouts under the policy I have been paying premiums to. I would recommend never to insure anything with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

We have had American Family for 12 years and never filed a claim. We one day noticed our ceiling leaking water and immediately called a roofer who came out and found nothing wrong with the roof but said it was an ice damn issue due to insulation. We called American Family and were told they would file a claim and have a person come out to do an estimate for repair. An adjuster came out and did the estimate and American Family approved it. They started to tear out the ceiling and drywall and found vermiculite. The repairs had to stop and get tested for asbestos. When the test came back hot American Family then turned around and denied the claim stating they had adjusted the homeowners policy, even though we pay for the highest priced one, gold package as they call it.

They stated we just put it in place and will not cover any removal or repairs to a home with asbestos. What this means is anyone with any sort of insulation before 190 is no longer covered for any repairs! They refused to work with us and even refused to have the gigantic holes fixed and told us we should just put a board over them and if we did nothing to stop the damage from spreading they would drop us. Tried calling the adjuster and claims and they will not even take our phone calls. Called the company that did the work and they said American Family is even refusing to pay them and told us this is just typical of American Family and that they hate dealing with them and have over 36 cases of non-payment pending with American Family.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

Their adjuster for my roof wanted to repair it. Gave me $400 to get the repair. Went thru four roofers and an engineering report and all say cannot be repaired. They sent one of those certified roofer out and he will not try to repair. All agree it needs to be replaced. The company is still saying only repair and said she us if you don't agree. Now I am contacting atty to handle this for me. No customer service from this company.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I had a homeowner claims with this company. After months of review I finally received a denial letter of my claim. The reason for denial was due to a small infraction on my credit report. This company had no problem taking my annual premiums every year. When American Family pulled my credit and found out about this infraction they canceled me and denied my claim costing me thousands upon thousands of dollars on my home. I was told American Family has the right to deny any claim if you or anyone in your household has any infraction on their credit report. Never, never under any circumstances do business with this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

Filed a homeowner claim on our roof after a really bad hail storm. We were originally really mad with the contractor because they wouldn't agree to do the work for the amount on the insurance estimate. The contractor came back to the house and showed us all of the things they would have to repair or replace that the adjuster Gabe was refusing to pay for. They showed us all of the photos and documents that they had already sent to the adjuster. The runaround that Gabe was giving them was ridiculous. His only response was "estimate not approved due to company guidelines". What a joke. When we called him directly, he told us that he had gotten everything worked out with our contractor. Another BS runaround. Thankfully, we were able to work things out with the contractor to make sure they did the necessary work to bring the roof up to code, but I would not recommend American Family to anyone!

American Family Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

American Family Insurance has operated for over 80 years, and it offers a wide range of insurance policies. The company offers homeowners insurance in more than 19 states across America.

• Long history of service: The company has been around for over 80 years, and they have decades of experience offering homeowners insurance policies.

• Awards: American Family Insurance has been the recipient of several awards over the years, including an Overall Outstanding Participation Award from the National Association of Women Business Owners, a Top 50 Employer from the Readers’ Choice Awards in disABLED Magazine and a Gold Level Award from the Wellness Council of America.

• Customer service: American Family Insurance offers a wide range of customer service options, including phone or online.

• Location: American Family Insurance is not offered in all 50 states, so it’s not a convenient or feasible option for everyone.

• Processing time: Be sure to check American Family Insurance’s reputation for claims processing time. If so, it could be inconvenient for policyholders who need money in emergency situations and do not want to wait a long time for their insurance claim to be handled.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky