American Family Insurance - Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Had my homeowner's & auto insurance bundled together for at least 20 yrs, never had a claim. I had a medical issue and somewhere in that time my garage roof somehow got a hole in the shingled roof. (I think it was a firework shot off by neighbors... can't prove which one) Anyway the leak caused a couple of the trusses to break from water. Made a call to my agent and she advised me that my insurance had lapsed like 3 months ago on my house, but not your car. I was befuddled because I had auto pay monthly. She looked it up and said, "somewhere along the line your payment on your home was 30.00 short, so it lapsed." So I asked, "Why didn't my auto lapse also?" "We just kept your monthly auto pay all towards your car." I could not believe what I was hearing coming out of this agent's mouth.

I asked why you (agent) did not contact me over this matter. She claimed she did by letter. I never received any communication in any form. Agent had my email address, agent had my telephone number, my work number. Ok so I missed the letter, I didn't... but maybe I overlooked it. My house had a mortgage, so I had to have homeowner's insurance. So I got a hold of the bank and they never had received any communication regarding my insurance lapse. The agent by law has to let the bank know of any lapse or cancellation in my homeowner's policy. I could go on. This is sounds to me a common problem with American Family. So I tried to file again, then they said I was late. Then recently received a letter from American Family stating that they had broken the law in the state of Indiana for claim filing.

The agent has repeatedly tried to get my business back, leaving me voicemails on my phone, instructing me to return their call. Now my garage is in total disarray. I had lost my job of 16 yrs due to my medical condition. Now my city is fining me because my garage is not up to code. Thank you American Family, after 20 yrs of loyalty. Over what would have been a small claim, they chose the low road. Awful business practices. Now I know what they mean when they say if you have American Family insurance, you better also keep in touch with your lawyer.

I was lied to by my agent Nicole ** with American Family in Fenton, Mo. about a supplemental policy called a 535 which would have replaced my steel siding after a storm. I was told by the adjuster Mr. **, who viewed my damage after a storm, that if I carried that policy that my steel siding and roof would have been replaced in it's entirety had I had the endorsement. But because my agent NEVER ONCE MENTIONED this endorsement to me in our initial consultation, I had NO CLUE it even existed. Now she claims that she would have offered it if I had sat down with her last year for a review. Well, why would I sit down for another consultation for my insurance if nothing had changed financially, dwelling wise or content? This is often viewed as a way for an agent to up sell you more product, but as American Family Insurance, they use it as a way to say you were denied coverage because you didn't come in for a yearly consultation!

I was sent a letter from Kenneth Ray ** today that states the outcome of my coverage would not have made any difference on my roof being replaced. What that means in layman terms is that even though you have home owners and you have a third of your roof damaged and we may not be able to match it, that you are not getting a new roof and we do not care if it is mismatched. Secondly Kenny, you failed to mention that if your agent Nicole ** would have offered the 535 that indeed my steel siding would have been replaced, but again you are happy your company is saving money by denying my steel siding being matched as well.

BEWARE OF AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE and make sure you got to a company that ask you to sign off on refused amendments offered! If not, you may get an agent who lies about offering it to you in the first place as I did.

WARNING!!! I would stay away from this company. I had been with them for 25 years paying out huge premiums (because they were suppose to have the best coverage). Dealing with them upping my premiums on my home every year by increasing the home's value by 10 to 15 thousand a year (on a 170 thousand dollar home). Every year after their auto adjusting increasing my home's value 10 to 20 thousand I would have to call my agent to have him re-figure the limits usually dropping the ins value by 20 to 30 thousand. Ultimately, this is every couple years folks! This would in turn lower my yearly premium by 400 dollars a year. That in itself is ridiculous.

But after 25 years and no claims I got a letter from AMFAM stating that a vehicle in my driveway had to have current license plates on it and that I had 1 year from the date of the letter or I would be canceled on my homeowners ins. This is a vehicle that I had bought to fix a few things on and then sell it. This was all cleared up in a matter of a month but this was the last string for me. I even called the main office and the person in charge of the letter stated that a unlicensed vehicle in my driveway posed a greater risk to them as my ins company than one that had plates on the vehicle.

I tried to point out the logic that license plates on a vehicle are sharp and someone's chance of getting hurt with a vehicle in my driveway were greater with plates on them than without. And it's not like I didn't have auto ins with them because I did on 2 vehicles. And she told me she didn't care and if I wanted to continue to be insured by them then I would register and plate any vehicles in my driveway.

This is what made me start comparing policy premiums to other companies. I was blown away at how greedy AMFAM has gotten over the years as they really WERE a great company years ago. On 170 thousand dollar home this year after my ins was adjusted back down from "AMFAM's version of inflation" my premium was 2900 dollars a year and I am signed onto a different ins company now (one of the top 10 rated on this site) and my yearly ins premium is 1200. For the exact same coverage, that's less than half People!

I can't wrap my mind around the price difference. It has become abundantly clear that AMFAM is no longer about taking care of its policyholders, but only about feeding its overstuffed stuffed ceo's and shareholder's pockets. To put this into perspective, over the last 25 years of premiums that's 72 thousand dollars I've paid them and never a claim. But a unlicensed vehicle in my driveway and I get a "change this, or you're out the door" letter. I would strongly discourage anyone from signing on with this company or if you already are then do yourself a huge favor, Shop around for ins. By the way this is only home coverage not even including my vehicle premiums. Stay away from American Family Insurance!!!

And we would like to state for the record that I asked my agent time and time again on how to present the list for your review. Because I have never had to compile a list such as this of inventory for personal property is the only reason why the before list that was sent of items was not compiled in such a way is because no one wanted to walk me through on how to place the items on the list as far as the categories are concerned.

The first time I did a claim on my home what was asked of me this time around was not asked of me the very first time. I asked my agent and claims adjuster on how to place the list and not one person from the company wanted to take the time to assist me in creating the list. Now I am not the smartest apple from the tree but if someone have done their job the correct way then I feel I would not be at this point. Only american family is aware of how the list is suppose to look when the claim is filed. I asked my agent was there a company that could assist me in forming the list and I was told that they knew of no one. I have had to teach myself everything I know today about how to handle a claim with my insurance company.

I thought I was paying for the policy and for someone to be my agent and work alongside me regardless to what the situation has been. Yes I have lost my cool with my agent and claim handler but only because no one wanted to assist me in any type of way. Instead of telling me that the list was not the way the insurance company would like to see the list, they instead send me for an IOU because of thought of fraud because of the lists that was sent to them because of lack of help and knowledge for my own knowing. No one has went over the policy once again with me to make sure I am aware of the knowledge and steps that are taken when going to the CLAIM process.

No one explain the steps of the IOU or information of why they were sending to do the statements under oath. I feel like the blind leading the blind. I am a first time policyholder and I feel like I been rooted into a scam to pay for something every month to having to do all the work to handle this claim as a whole. You want the consumer to do what has to be done when processing the claim like calling the police at the touch of a button, gathering receipts and pictures and all of the above to prove proof of purchase then place a list together stating where you purchased and how the items were purchased, when the items were purchased and item cost at the time of purchase as well as date of loss then to turn around and show where the item can be bought again.

Now because of the mishaps with the first claim and how horrible I was treated as a first time consumer. I got angry because once again I am back in the same boat and have show all the information I can totally share with my insurance agent after being told by my agent that I am basically not important to be given a call stating that she was sorry for my loss. But instead she says she basically didn't have the time to reach out to me. This should have been the time for my agent to go over my policy with me making sure that I understand what is suppose to be compiled for the claims handler. I feel my agent hung me out to dry then the claims handler who continued to take his time in doing anything for me and not going over my policy with me or asking me do I understand what the company is asking of me. If everything would have been explained to me then we would not be at this point once again.

I had the same issue with my agent and claims handler last claim that was submitted and because the company can deny me made me feel more on edge about it all. Yes I was consistent in knowing and understanding about this claim. But every time I would reach out to my agent or claims handler I would hit a road block and get nowhere.

Last month I filed a claim for damage to hardwood floor due to a break in refrigerator line. AmFam declined my claim referring to an exclusion in the policy due to continuous or repeated seepage that occurs over 14 days period. The leak discovered in few days and the line was immediately fixed. But the American Family claims, without any proof, that the leakage was over 14 days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

My husband and I downsized and moved north after our youngest child went off to college. We bought an 1100 square foot ranch with an attached garage for $110,000. Our agent came to the property, took pictures, etc. Our premium was about $600/year when we purchased the house. The next year upon renewal I opened our bill and the policy had gone to $700/year. When I looked at the policy I saw I was insured for a 1400 square foot L-shaped ranch for $250,000. I called my agent and told him this was incorrect and our house was not 1400 square feet and he had seen the house. I was informed this is what the underwriters had decided and the reason for the $250,00 was because I had the "gold" policy that would pay for everything new, not just replacement.

I then several months later got a letter from AmFam stating that, because my roof was in "poor condition", if something happened to it, we would not be given full value to replace it, but partial. I called and asked why I was paying for the "gold" policy on a 40-year-old house when everything is aging? I might add, we had the house inspected upon buying it and were told the roof was in very good condition.

I got my bill this year and my rate is now $800/year, a $200 increase in 3 years. We have NEVER made a claim against AmFam and I have been with them for approximately 25 years. When I looked at my latest policy, there is a "dangerous dog" charge. We have a Sheltie and a Beagle. When I called my agent, I was told this charge is on there because we "might" in the future get a dangerous dog. Whatever! Also, for instance, if my daughter (who is 22) was bitten by a cat, her medical bills would be covered?! What a scam. I would definitely recommend shopping around for homeowners' insurance.

On 2-28-16 I called All American Family Insurance in Benton Illinois to file a claim. Then three days later I called the Mt Vernon Illinois office and I was told that they had no record of my claim. Then two days later I received a call back from a field adjuster. The field adjuster said that he would come look at my storm damage when he could get some free time. Finally two weeks later All American Family Insurance in Mt. Vernon Illinois called me and said that the field adjuster estimated my damage $2000.00 and they said I had a $2000.00 dollar Wind/Hail damage deductible.

All American Family Insurance said that I would be responsible for the $2000.00 in damage. The contractor gave me an estimate of $6200.00 to fix the roof on my garage and my house. First the agent at that Mt. Vernon office told me that my deductible was $500 then I was told $1000.00 and now I have been told $2000.00. $2000.00 is a very high deductible but I would pay it if they would pay the other $4200.00. I would not recommend All American Family insurance to anyone. I am going to switch my home and auto insurance to Allstate.

On Jan 27 my husband and I woke to water coming through our bedroom ceiling and down through our living room window and walls. The water was also coming through the walls and ceiling upstairs as well. Naturally I called my local agent Pete **. He started a claim, the adjuster showed up 2 days later with a mitigation company, they tore out all my insulation in the upstairs living areas and put fans and dehumidifiers in. They said they would be back daily to check on them. The very next day we waited for 4 hours, no show by ERS "Don" or Troy the owner, however they did document RH % for the day they were not there. The crew was completely unprofessional. Our adjuster assured us that we had the best policy on the market--an HO5 for water damage and that she would get us put back together as soon as possible.

As it turns out 5 weeks later, many phone calls on our part a structural engineer later, there is an exclusion, in fact it's in all homeowner's policies. They are denying our claim on a "design issue" which I might add was designed long before either I or my husband were born. They don't have to pay for any repairs, they don't even need to put the insulation back in they pulled out. The adjuster Sharon was even delighted in telling me they don't have to pay for anything. Best part, we got 2 days notice we needed to be out of where are currently residing, and only because I called. American Family Homeowners is like legal fraud.

Been with AmFam for 40 years... then we had an accidental house fire. DO NOT USE CRDN or SERVICE MASTER to restore your property. AmFam brought them to our damaged home and urged us to use them... AmFam said they would pay them. These 3rd party companies gave us no estimates, no rates... Weeks later, after they had our property removed from the home, AmFam then begins to explain the process to us... We are the ones who will pay them. The cost of their services reduces the compensation for our losses... all the invoices were sent directly to AmFam so we had no idea what the cost of using them was... we only got copies of the costs after we demanded to know what the were.

The cost of their services vastly exceeded the value our possessions... by using their services to "clean" our old, worn, out of fashion clothes we could not turn them the lost into AmFam to be replaced with brand new fashionable clothing as part of the property replacement cost damages. CRDN is not working for you, they are working for the insurance company but you have to pay them for that. CRDN advertises to the insurance company that they will save them up to 84% of the cost to replace clothing... that is the new clothing we could have gotten by NOT using CRDN and you have to pay CRDN the other 16% from your reimbursement by the insurance. For example: instead of you getting $200 to buy a new pair of shoes, pants, shirt... then insurance gives you $30 to CRDN to clean your old worn items... you get $0 in value, insurance saves 85%, CRDN gets 16% of what should have been yours.

I was with American Family Insurance for 32+ years. They insured everything for me. Last fall, while I was in the hospital, a mechanical failure in my septic tank caused septic waste to back up into my finished basement. Amfam brought out Servicemaster, who not only broke possessions (they did later, after much difficulty, compensate me for the damages) but also did a poor overall job of waste/mold remediation, leaving pieces of moldy carpeting in the basement and failing to clean out the contents of affected closets, areas under the stairs, etc. I had significant amounts of mold in my basement 5+ months after Servicemaster claimed to have cleaned it.

It took Amfam almost five months to issue the first payment on personal property damages. The adjuster made pejorative remarks about the condition of a personal property item. Their payment spreadsheets are very hard to understand. I submitted claims for payment of replaced items in August. It's now late December and I was required by the property claims manager to submit a statement of loss before they would issue any additional payment. They cancelled my policy in the end. Thanks for 32 years AmFam!

I have been very satisfied with this company. I recently had a house fire and the customer service handled this extremely well. The paperwork and investigation procedure was very confusing but their agents were very cooperative and kind during this difficult situation. I would recommend this insurance agency to anyone.

I have had two hail claims in the last four years. Both times American Family Insurance had an adjuster out within a few days of filing the claim. For the most part, the adjusters did a good job, and most of the hail damages were paid for when the claim was closed.

They are easy to do business with. I have been using them for 17 years and never had a problem with making a claim. They are fast and easy to get in touch with. I gave them 3 stars because they raise the rates when you file a claim and they never lower them. I made a claim 13 years ago and my rates were raised and I've been paying the higher rate ever since.

They have been very prompt when we did have a claim and gave us the value we thought we should receive at the time. They sent an adjuster out, usually, the next day and we had our check shortly after that. My only complaint is that our insurance rates seem very high for the size and age of our home.

Have had no problems with them. Have had them for many years and had to replaced roof and they were very helpful. They are just like anyone else got to have receipt and if you do no problem. They give you option to pay monthly or year. They have good rating. I would recommend anyone that needs insurance.

We have had American Family Insurance as our homeowners insurance company for the past 9 years. Their rates and coverage were the best we found when we purchased and moved to our current house. They are professional, easy to reach and informative. They keep in touch, recommend changes, if appropriate, and answer any and all questions. The cost for the policy we have has not changed much throughout the years. We have not had to file a claim (and hopefully never will), but we feel confident that everything would go smoothly should that happen. Based on our experience with American Family Insurance, we definitely recommend them.

We have used American Family Insurance for many years for our homeowners insurance. They have always been very helpful when we needed them. They are very prompt at having someone come and look at any damage that gets done and also very fast at sending you the money to fix your home. The price we pay for the insurance is very reasonable compared to other companies we have gotten prices from.

When hurricane Ike hit our town hard, our insurance company was on their job assisting us for the damage it cause to our home and the food that we lost when our power was out for a week. We had roof damage and they came out and assist us with all of our lost. That was a very bad time for us. I never been through anything like that before. The Insurance company knew that a lot of people was affected by the high winds, power outages and tree damages.

I have received great service and reasonable rates. My agent was well informed about the products that would best serve my needs and made a special point to work with me after my husband died and I moved and changed policies. He was also very good about meeting my schedule.

I have had excellent service with Am Fam and their rates are great. Their personnel are very knowledgeable about all their services and are always there to help with any problems you might have. It's a company I would recommend to anyone. Their rates are very reasonable for what you get. They have become like part of the family. Sincere and caring about all their customers.

We didn't have to use it, but it was a very reputable company and I'm sure if we had to file a claim they would have been most helpful. Of course, it helped that the agent we used was our backyard neighbor at the time as I'm sure that would have made it much simpler to file a claim.

I have only contacted them once for my roof. They covered the entire cost except for my deductible and had no issues with payment. The entire process was easy they could have kept me up to date as to when I would receive payments but other than that it was easy process.

They arbitrarily raised my rates and the agents had poor customer service in the Rhodes Ranch Las Vegas office. When you question the rate they don't want to call you back. Then when you say you're going to leave they want to backdate your insurance and notify DMV. Very horrible experience and with another agent with American Family down the road.

I just got a call from AmFam, they are cancelling my homeowners because I am not on the title of the house, my husband died and the house is in probate right now. At what point is it ok to be so cold and money hungry that you cancel a policy where the spouse is living? Never a late payment. Unbelievable.

I was driving through a parking lot and am pulling into a stall, when a lady backed out of a stall and hit me. No problem I thought, she had Amfam. I placed a claim and they said that I was 40% to blame.

Been insured with AF for 20 years home/autos/boats/trailers "umbrella" policy. This year June 2015 we were hit by baseball sized hail storm. Took pictures of all the damage and called our agent to report. Within 2 weeks time (we told him we were in no hurry) adjusters came out and assessed house and barn roof as totaled and arranged a roofing company to come out and replace both, saving us the time/effort and eliminating the chance that we would hire a "rip-off" company. We received check for both roofs and other damage to shed, camper and miscellaneous items a week later. Had a claim for lightning strike/hail damage on house roof 5 years earlier and adjuster came out within the week and wrote us a check to get roof re-shingled. We replaced them with class four impact resistant ones and received a discount off our policy! They've always done right by us and we couldn't be happier with the service we've received over the years!

I'm shocked and very disappointed in this company. I've read some of the reviews how you just cancel people that put their trust in this insurance. You canceled my daughter's ins after they had 2 floods to their home by no fault of theirs - 2 Floods. Can you imagine how horrible that is for for a family with 2 young children staying out of their home for 4-5 months then because you think they cost you too much money so you cancel them. We have been with your company for at least 40 years. Look us up **. I'm sure you have many clients that never or hardly ever make a claim. So I know you're not losing money.

I will seriously be thinking about changing insurance. They have had Am. family for 16 years and because of us and you treat my family like this. But I'm sure this is going to just be another complaint to add to your reviews. but you should all be ashamed of how you treat your long loyal customers and their family's. You for sure don't have any Christian values.

Basically my home has severe hail damages, I have three different roof consultant companies inspected and claimed the roof indeed had sufficient damages which should qualified for whole roof replacement. The AmFam adjuster and his ladder consultant only agreed half of the roof to be hail damaged and denied the other half. Even my roof consultant showed the obvious hail damages in front of them. The adjuster afterwards estimates had many errors and mistakes, trying to bring the replacement cost to minimum. I tried to request the second inspection/opinion, but refused as they told me they would hire the engineer to do the evaluation. They tried to avoid the discussion for their original adjuster when I brought many mistakes and errors in his estimation report. Sounds like they tried to protect/hide the original adjuster's mistakes.

It's even more surprising with their fire engineer's behavior. Donan engineering hired by AmFam got on the roof with my roof consultant and my roof consultant's partner during the examination. On the roof the engineer agreed that almost all the slopes have hail damages, especially the roof facing to the right direction (which were denied by AmFam adjuster and his ladder before), they marked the hail damages, and the engineer even said to my roof consultant and his partner that "We found hails on all slopes and American Family should be paying for it anyway".

However in his final report after 2 weeks, he did not mention a single word about hail damages on slopes facing right. I am so surprised why the engineer did not tell the truth in his report. I am extremely unhappy with the way my claim is handled, I am paying AmFam more than $6000 a year insurance premium, and this is what I got at the end. I am currently looking for all possible ways to fight for my claim.

Including submitting false testimony and perjury... Anyone doing a class action please let me know! There was good cause for the MN AG to file false and deceptive marketing practices against AFI several years ago and there really needs to be a class action by former unpaid policy holders and insureds who had to go to trial and still didn't get paid because of unfair trial tactics such as bad jury instructions or fraud and deceit and concealment used to obtain a favorable judgement... they would rather see you die from exposure to black mold than pay to clean it up. Not to mention to hell with your related personal property damages.

My roof was damaged from a storm last year in Nov 2014 & Amfam denied claim. I called back again because my roof is now leaking. They denied again & decided they will replace shingles in area of leak but entire roof is damaged. They are extremely rude & made open 3 separate claims just to deny them all. Why pay for red door on a black car or one new white shoe? Please do not sign a policy with American Family. Save yourself the headache

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

American Family Insurance has operated for over 80 years, and it offers a wide range of insurance policies. The company offers homeowners insurance in more than 19 states across America.

• Long history of service: The company has been around for over 80 years, and they have decades of experience offering homeowners insurance policies.
  • Awards: American Family Insurance has been the recipient of several awards over the years, including an Overall Outstanding Participation Award from the National Association of Women Business Owners, a Top 50 Employer from the Readers’ Choice Awards in disABLED Magazine and a Gold Level Award from the Wellness Council of America.
  • Customer service: American Family Insurance offers a wide range of customer service options, including phone or online.
  • Location: American Family Insurance is not offered in all 50 states, so it’s not a convenient or feasible option for everyone.
  • Processing time: Be sure to check American Family Insurance’s reputation for claims processing time. If so, it could be inconvenient for policyholders who need money in emergency situations and do not want to wait a long time for their insurance claim to be handled.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Compare Homeowners Insurance