Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
American Family Insurance - Homeowners
3.95/5

American Family Insurance - Homeowners

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

129 American Family Insurance - Homeowners Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

On 7/12 some items was stolen from my home, I filed a police report! Jessica ** was my claim adjuster. She transfer my claim to Lara **. They treated me as if I was the suspect versus as I was the victim. I ask for a supervisor to call me & still to this day I haven't receive a call from one.. But got a call & text from a guy at 7am saying he was with a 3rd party & helping out! They trying not to pay me for the items that was stolen, although it's a suspect in custody! They stated they taking so much ff for depreciation when Louis Vuitton don't depreciate!

I filed my claim 7/15 & still haven't receive payment! This is the worse experience in the world I've ever receive! I don't recommend this company to anyone. I'll be filing a complaint with the Cincinnati Insurance Board as well as switching homeowner insurance companies! But my local agent Douglas ** was wonderful! PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS COMPANY & I'VE BEEN WITH THEM 5YRS & REGRET IT!

Original review: June 27, 2019

I had a water emergency in my basement and the process has been excruciating!! I have been lied to, misrepresented and bullied by this company. Very few contractors will deal with AM FAM!! I am on my third, as the other two just walked away in disdain. They are offering about 1/4 the replacement cost and I have been paying for full replacement cost for years. Meanwhile my entire basement is a wasteland. Do not waste your time and money with this company!!

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I had a fire in my kitchen on November 16th 2018. American Family Insurance Company's adjustors, contractor and inspector swore that the smoke did not penetrate the walls of my home. They were willing to leave toxic smoke in the cavities of my house which could cause serious health concerns for my family. The offer that they made to restore my house to its original condition before the fire was a fraction of what it should have been. I had to hire a construction company and a public adjuster because they were denying clearly visible damages to my house.

They use a stall tactics by not only cancelling 3 inspections appointments the day of but they hire a third party to do a partial inspection of your contents. American Family Insurance Company denies having received the results for months then refuse to reveal the inspection report. That 3rd party inspector said that American Family Insurance company had him do hundreds of partial inspections on residents and businesses. They used to be okay on paying out claims but now they are the worst he has ever seen in his career.

They put me in a one-room with one bed and lied and said that that is all my policy allows me to have. My contractor ask to take down the middle bedroom wall that was butted up to the kitchen where the fire was because it tested positive for smoke. The inspector for American Family Whispers to the American Family adjuster, "That won't cost too much." They are not concerned about restoring your house back to its original condition.

Smoke filled the double pane glass of my vinyl windows throughout my house. I ask my adjuster about my damaged Windows due to the smoke and he replied they're not damaged. American Family Insurance Company is falsely advertising how they handle their claims. They say they're going to protect your dreams and that is the complete opposite of what they have been doing to me. If you have also been mistreated, partial delayed inspections and denial of clearly visible damages I would like to know. I have a list of people who have been taken advantage of by American Family Insurance Company. We welcome you to come aboard with our team to tell our stories to the proper departments so that children, grandchildren, the elderly and families lives and dreams are not destroyed.

STOP AMFAM ABUSE.

Original review: June 17, 2019

We have been been insured with American Family for 15 years, and never filed a single claim or complaint. We had a tornado tear through our neighborhood and it took off many shingles, and tore a hole in the roof which we paid a contractor to temporarily cover. We hired a roofing company to give us an estimate to fix the damage, and it came to about $15K, essentially a new roof. We were not expecting American Family to pay for a whole new roof, because it is probably about 10 years old, but the settlement was a big fat zero. What were we paying for all those years, such a scam. I hope State Farm is better, because that is what we switched to after the experience.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I submitted a claim for wind damage. The adjuster came out on 4/22/2019. All went well. She did her estimate although we are not happy with the settlement. That is a different story. She proceeded to provide the payout and explained the time frame we have to repair, and then she insinuated that I was going to pocket the money and go on vacation. I was honestly offended. As a first time homeowner my concern is getting my roof repaired since water started coming in, I don't get why she would even insinuate something like that made me feel embarrassed as if she was calling me a scammer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We live in a community that has a Home Owners Association. The HOA has a master policy with Am Fam, that covers the outside structure of each of the homes. Individually, we also had a homeowners policy to cover the studs in with the same agent at AmFam. The policy also had a $1000 Loss Assessment clause. This previous statement is important.

We had hail damage to our roofs and the roofs needed to be replaced. The HOA was notified in early 2018 that the AmFam HOA policy deductible for hail damage changed from a flat rate deductible to a 2% of the structure value deductible. Unfortunately the homeowners were not notified. The AmFam agent acknowledged there was a communication breakdown in that respective office and they should have notified the individual policyholders who also had this individual policy that their coverage could not be enough in case of hail damage. Because of their error, we ended up paying, out of pocket, $2498, vs the $500 deductible we were expecting to pay. Shouldn't either the local agent of AMFAM be responsible for not properly notifying us of this change?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

On October 6, 2018 I called American Family Insurance to file a homeowner’s claim for damages. Two days later Brett ** emailed me about my claim. He proceeded to set up an appointment to come view the damages at my home. On October 15 he was supposed to show up but an hour before he got here he called and stated he could not make it. He then said it up for another day and again did not show. He then emailed me and stated that he could do everything by photos and asked if I could take detailed photos and make a list of damages of all the properties damage from the rain. I emailed him back and I stated that would be fine. I gathered many many photos and a list of damages and I sent it to him. After a few days I emailed him and asked what the next steps were and if there was any update.

A few more days went by and I emailed him again no response by the ninth email I had sent... it was sent back to me as undeliverable. I then called customer service and I told them what was happening and they immediately told me that Brett ** no longer worked with the company and that my case was given to somebody else but had not told me about that. I was then given the name to a new agent called DeAndre ** and I asked for his email. I then immediately emailed him and asked him what was going on. I then got an email back from him that next day and he asked me to forward the photos and list of damages to him that I had sent to Brett **.

Immediately sent them to him and gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was going to treat me fairly since the other guy blew me off. I must've emailed this person 5 to 6 times still no answer. So I called the customer service number and I told him what was going on...that again nobody is reaching out to me and letting me know what is going on what the next steps are...so she sent me over to his voicemail and I left a voicemail for him. I then emailed him a few more times and finally with no response I called customer service back and I asked to speak to his supervisors I was given two different emails and were told that I could talk to one of the two people they gave me. So I wrote them emails and extensively told him what was going on and again I have not heard back from either of the two supervisors.

Finally my grandmother called in to the customer service center and she was transferred to the agent DeAndre **. He told my grandmother that he had tried calling me and then it was me that was not getting back to him. He had left me 2 messages three minutes apart asking me for my contractor's phone number. That's it. NO EMAILS AND NO OTHER CALLS SINCE HE TOOK MY CLAIM OVER! Immediately after getting those voice messages, I had emailed him and explained I do not have a contractor because thus far I have no clue what was going on, So why would I have a contractor? I have every email I have ever sent to both agents Brett ** and DeAndre **. I have every email I sent to their supervisors. I also have all my recorded calls that I have made to American Family concerning this claim. In the recordings you can hear the complaints I have made and the responses that I have been given.

They have not kept me in the loop. I have no clue what is going on and I need help. On Tuesday the 27th and adjuster from BrightClaim came out to my home took some notes got on the roof took some pictures and left after 20 minutes. He was scheduled to be here at 9:50 AM. He did not show up until 10:40 AM which cut in to my doctor’s appointment and I had explain this to my agent. I emailed him throughout the day and still there is no response and it is now November 28. I have no clue what to do and I don't know what the next steps are and nobody will tell me them!

Original review: July 25, 2018

My ex boyfriend talked me into switching from State Farm in December. He said I'd get a discount for bundling my home and auto insurance. Well 90 days ago my home was robbed while I was gone for almost $12,000 worth of things and cash. Then 2 weeks later I was in a car accident. They did a good job on my car accident except they gave half to my ex boyfriend My Home claim.

I'm still playing the waiting game while getting excuses. "It's still under investigation." I was told a week ago "We'll have a decision 7/25 after our committee meeting..." Yeah I had to get ahold of her and once again another excuse saying meeting was cancelled and now I have to wait a whole other week for an answer. Just excuse after excuse. My savings is gone from having to move and now might lose utilities because people can't do their job. I'll never recommend Amfam to anyone ever again. Guess I'm going to go start getting a lawyer and see how she likes that.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Their rates go up with any violation (no damage claims) yet do not go down for safe driving for decades! Also, our son turned 25 without any discount either. Time for a change.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have had Am-Fam coverage on 3 different homes over a space of 28 years. I have had 4 claims on my homes, mostly from weather related events. Claims dept. sent adjusters out quickly and they had their approved contractors on the job in a timely fashion. Cost of damage repair was never a problem. My agents over the years was always helpful.

American Family Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

American Family Insurance has operated for over 80 years, and it offers a wide range of insurance policies. The company offers homeowners insurance in more than 19 states across America.

• Long history of service: The company has been around for over 80 years, and they have decades of experience offering homeowners insurance policies.

• Awards: American Family Insurance has been the recipient of several awards over the years, including an Overall Outstanding Participation Award from the National Association of Women Business Owners, a Top 50 Employer from the Readers’ Choice Awards in disABLED Magazine and a Gold Level Award from the Wellness Council of America.

• Customer service: American Family Insurance offers a wide range of customer service options, including phone or online.

• Location: American Family Insurance is not offered in all 50 states, so it’s not a convenient or feasible option for everyone.

• Processing time: Be sure to check American Family Insurance’s reputation for claims processing time. If so, it could be inconvenient for policyholders who need money in emergency situations and do not want to wait a long time for their insurance claim to be handled.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky