Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

American Family Insurance - Homeowners

American Family Insurance - Homeowners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

American Family Insurance - Homeowners Reviews

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I am my sister in-law's power of attorney. My 26 year old niece was rear ended. AFI who is our provider handled the claim so she could get a rental car quicker and they are going after the other insurance. We found out Tuesday the car was a total loss and were told her rental was to be returned on Saturday. We had received NO check to purchase another car. I ask for an extension until the next Wednesday so we had time to get a check and find a car so my niece wouldn't lose her job. We were denied. I ask to speak to the adjuster who handled this and she happened to be out of town until the following Monday.

I called my agent. He was an jerk and only talked over me and didn't allow me to communicate back with him and said he was just a sales man and referred me back to claims. I called claims again and ask for a supervisor and was told they were not available. I then called the bank and requested money upfront from my sister in-law's trust to purchase another car so that my niece would not loose her job. I had to rush out that day and pick out a car without really being able to look and make sure I was making the best option for her. I then had to for the sign title to them. I emailed my agent a message with the new car information because I didn't have time to go find a new agent as well that day to get the car insured. My agent called me back after he got my email and told me he was happy I found a solution to the problem.

It took me the entire day that I will never get back out of my life to rush through the process and everyone doesn't have the option to go get money from a trust account to purchase a new car. As of Thursday it still hadn't even picked up the old car from the collision shop. I called and made a complaint to my agent that that happened and later that afternoon that's finally picked it up. I told them the check had to be mailed to me because it has to go back into the trust to replace the money that I had to get fronted to me for the new car. As of Saturday still have not received the check to replenish my sister-in-law's Trust. I will be looking for a new insurance company because I do not feel American family had my family's back on this claim. And I will not be disrespected by an insurance agent who says after we spend $10,000 a year on Family Insurance will not get involved and do what he can to help resolve the situation.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

AFI is the perfect example of you get what you pay for. The premiums are affordable but when your dishwasher breaks, they will make up excuses not to pay for the claim. Lost everything in the kitchen even the subfloor. Check all the complaints in Facebook, I'm very sorry I didn't.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have been with AmFam for over 20 years. The only claim I ever had was a small case that costed less than 5k. The damage was done by neighbors. I would say they used to be a decent company, now their business model is to DENY everything, falsification of your communication record, and make the appeal process an IRON WALL. They are rude when you try to seek appeal even though appeal is a JOKE anyway. It will only stand to waste your time. They are more secretive than secret service, Adjuster with no supervisors, and supervisors with no supervisors. This is a company that have no leadership if I were to believe their organizational structure. I am not sure if it was because I am in IL because IL has the weakest useless regulatory body overseeing these insurance companies.

Trust me, the only thing IL insurance board does is to pass your messages to and between the insurance companies, they do not investigate. When the top is broken, you cannot expect anyone to follow the laws and procedures. IL residents has the worst treatment from insurance companies, regardless auto, home, health. Do yourself a favor, put $500 away each month in a deposit account instead of paying your insurance companies. My experience is that I paid them over 20 years $120,000, but they will not cover a debris remove that was caused by their contractor that is only $600.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Trust me, you think you're safe until you have to make a claim! Get out while you still can!!! We had water damage from a bad storm that resulted in about $38,000 worth of damage. They paid $10,000 and when that wasn't enough for us, they decided they wanted to investigate our claim. We spent almost 2 1/2 years, as a family with two large dogs, moving from hotel room to hotel room (while still carrying our mortgage) and being investigated and ** around by them, all the while just trying to hold it together as a family under this enormous amount of stress. They purposefully drew it out as long as they possibly could, taking weeks to get back to us about every single little detail, knowing we financially and emotionally were strained almost beyond measure.

It wasn't until we threatened to get an attorney involved (despite our financial issues we deduced that we had no choice but to find a way) that they finally agreed to settle and pay a pittance of $17,000 more making a total of $27,000 that they gave us when they actually owed us $38,000! Not only that, but they spread it into two payments when we had to keep a mortgage on a house we weren't living in the entire time, so we spent the first installment just trying to survive their abuse! We ended up having to foreclose on our home, which I'm sure came as no surprise to American Family since it was their design to screw us over as much as humanly possible from the beginning. They are the scum of the earth and do not deserve the air they breathe. If you have AmFam, get out now! If not, stay far away! They will do anything they can to ruin you and your family, like they tried to do with mine!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

On 7/12 some items was stolen from my home, I filed a police report! Jessica ** was my claim adjuster. She transfer my claim to Lara **. They treated me as if I was the suspect versus as I was the victim. I ask for a supervisor to call me & still to this day I haven't receive a call from one.. But got a call & text from a guy at 7am saying he was with a 3rd party & helping out! They trying not to pay me for the items that was stolen, although it's a suspect in custody! They stated they taking so much ff for depreciation when Louis Vuitton don't depreciate!

I filed my claim 7/15 & still haven't receive payment! This is the worse experience in the world I've ever receive! I don't recommend this company to anyone. I'll be filing a complaint with the Cincinnati Insurance Board as well as switching homeowner insurance companies! But my local agent Douglas ** was wonderful! PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS COMPANY & I'VE BEEN WITH THEM 5YRS & REGRET IT!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: June 27, 2019

I had a water emergency in my basement and the process has been excruciating!! I have been lied to, misrepresented and bullied by this company. Very few contractors will deal with AM FAM!! I am on my third, as the other two just walked away in disdain. They are offering about 1/4 the replacement cost and I have been paying for full replacement cost for years. Meanwhile my entire basement is a wasteland. Do not waste your time and money with this company!!

Original review: June 27, 2019

I had a fire in my kitchen on November 16th 2018. American Family Insurance Company's adjustors, contractor and inspector swore that the smoke did not penetrate the walls of my home. They were willing to leave toxic smoke in the cavities of my house which could cause serious health concerns for my family. The offer that they made to restore my house to its original condition before the fire was a fraction of what it should have been. I had to hire a construction company and a public adjuster because they were denying clearly visible damages to my house.

They use a stall tactics by not only cancelling 3 inspections appointments the day of but they hire a third party to do a partial inspection of your contents. American Family Insurance Company denies having received the results for months then refuse to reveal the inspection report. That 3rd party inspector said that American Family Insurance company had him do hundreds of partial inspections on residents and businesses. They used to be okay on paying out claims but now they are the worst he has ever seen in his career.

They put me in a one-room with one bed and lied and said that that is all my policy allows me to have. My contractor ask to take down the middle bedroom wall that was butted up to the kitchen where the fire was because it tested positive for smoke. The inspector for American Family Whispers to the American Family adjuster, "That won't cost too much." They are not concerned about restoring your house back to its original condition.

Smoke filled the double pane glass of my vinyl windows throughout my house. I ask my adjuster about my damaged Windows due to the smoke and he replied they're not damaged. American Family Insurance Company is falsely advertising how they handle their claims. They say they're going to protect your dreams and that is the complete opposite of what they have been doing to me. If you have also been mistreated, partial delayed inspections and denial of clearly visible damages I would like to know. I have a list of people who have been taken advantage of by American Family Insurance Company. We welcome you to come aboard with our team to tell our stories to the proper departments so that children, grandchildren, the elderly and families lives and dreams are not destroyed.

STOP AMFAM ABUSE.

Original review: June 17, 2019

We have been been insured with American Family for 15 years, and never filed a single claim or complaint. We had a tornado tear through our neighborhood and it took off many shingles, and tore a hole in the roof which we paid a contractor to temporarily cover. We hired a roofing company to give us an estimate to fix the damage, and it came to about $15K, essentially a new roof. We were not expecting American Family to pay for a whole new roof, because it is probably about 10 years old, but the settlement was a big fat zero. What were we paying for all those years, such a scam. I hope State Farm is better, because that is what we switched to after the experience.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I submitted a claim for wind damage. The adjuster came out on 4/22/2019. All went well. She did her estimate although we are not happy with the settlement. That is a different story. She proceeded to provide the payout and explained the time frame we have to repair, and then she insinuated that I was going to pocket the money and go on vacation. I was honestly offended. As a first time homeowner my concern is getting my roof repaired since water started coming in, I don't get why she would even insinuate something like that made me feel embarrassed as if she was calling me a scammer.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We live in a community that has a Home Owners Association. The HOA has a master policy with Am Fam, that covers the outside structure of each of the homes. Individually, we also had a homeowners policy to cover the studs in with the same agent at AmFam. The policy also had a $1000 Loss Assessment clause. This previous statement is important.

We had hail damage to our roofs and the roofs needed to be replaced. The HOA was notified in early 2018 that the AmFam HOA policy deductible for hail damage changed from a flat rate deductible to a 2% of the structure value deductible. Unfortunately the homeowners were not notified. The AmFam agent acknowledged there was a communication breakdown in that respective office and they should have notified the individual policyholders who also had this individual policy that their coverage could not be enough in case of hail damage. Because of their error, we ended up paying, out of pocket, $2498, vs the $500 deductible we were expecting to pay. Shouldn't either the local agent of AMFAM be responsible for not properly notifying us of this change?

American Family Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

American Family Insurance has operated for over 80 years, and it offers a wide range of insurance policies. The company offers homeowners insurance in more than 19 states across America.

• Long history of service: The company has been around for over 80 years, and they have decades of experience offering homeowners insurance policies.

• Awards: American Family Insurance has been the recipient of several awards over the years, including an Overall Outstanding Participation Award from the National Association of Women Business Owners, a Top 50 Employer from the Readers’ Choice Awards in disABLED Magazine and a Gold Level Award from the Wellness Council of America.

• Customer service: American Family Insurance offers a wide range of customer service options, including phone or online.

• Location: American Family Insurance is not offered in all 50 states, so it’s not a convenient or feasible option for everyone.

• Processing time: Be sure to check American Family Insurance’s reputation for claims processing time. If so, it could be inconvenient for policyholders who need money in emergency situations and do not want to wait a long time for their insurance claim to be handled.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor