Allstate Life Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 193 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Allstate Life Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 9, 2017

201 Allstate Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I got an Allstate Hospital policy through my ex-employer. I left my employ and it took 3 months to receive an updated invoice so I can pay my policy. Come to find out my rates went up more than 3x. So I am canceling my policy. I really don't need it. In addition, it took me almost a year to get the agent that signed me up to send my policies to me. No thanks. Allstate is horrible. I have emailed and called for months.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Because of my husband's medical issues, our options are really limited. We had purchased a universal life insurance policy due to its cash value vs. a term life policy, which has no cash value, but are really starting to question this decision, as the premiums keep going up, and the policy value keeps declining. We were also hoping we could bundle our home and life insurance policies with this same company, but they don't insure a lot of homes in our area -- even the "median value" ones due to the high cost of housing here. We have inquired about long term care insurance; that was over a month ago. Haven't heard back from anyone from there since.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

This insurance company has been great to me and easy to sign up with. The agent I dealt with answered all my questions and worked with me to find the best policy to fit my needs and pocketbook.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have tried to be patient with this company. I have had them since the beginning of 2017, and each time that they have processed a claim for me, the experience has been less than unsatisfactory. I have an accident policy with them, and it seems as if I have to be bleeding to death or beheaded in order to have an accident. It has taken them almost 3 weeks to deny a claim that was clearly an accident. Now here I am with my second accident claim from a sprained wrist, and 5 days after submitting all required info, the claim is still waiting for an adjuster to review it. I have had other accident policies in the past and this company has by far provided the absolute worst service ever. After the completion of this claim, I will be looking to return to my previous company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I've been with Allstate for over 30 years. I am a loyal customer, but I am not satisfied with the options provided. The overall cost of my whole life policy is reasonable, and I don't have to worry over rising premiums since there is no set term to expire.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

This company is cheap and the staff there are so nice. They have outstanding customer service and the online service is very good also. I would recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: July 24, 2017

We had term life insurance thru Allstate. After 20 years they dropped us completely. They wouldn't renew the policy but we was offered to turn it into a policy that pays 1/4 of what we had for more money. We turned them down but they told us we couldn't get any insurance because we was told. We was just hitting 50. They didn't offer us anything that was for 20 years if we knew that we would have put it in the bank.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Filed an accident insurance claim for me and my daughter and it was not easy. The claim was filed in April and I still haven't got paid out. We were both involved in the car accident, but since I was not listed as a passenger, they would not pay me. They stated I needed to get the officer who wrote the report to rewrite it. Yea. Good luck with that. In the meantime my car insurance company paid my out over $5000 for this same accident just by submitting bills. Canceling this insurance as soon as I get the $500 they owe me. Ridiculous. Aflac was much better.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I had an accident on 2/1/2017. I have sent several emails and faxes regarding my bills that need to be paid. I been calling and getting the run around regarding my claim. Adjuster is never in the office to work the claim. It's been over 4 months and they have said they haven't receive anything. I am leaving to move out of state on June 30th and I needs results and claim worked. It is 4 people on the claim and 1 person has already got paid, while the other 3 people is still in waiting mode. We all getting the runaround and no one is never in the office. My next step is getting a lawyer for emotional distress of not receiving emails and faxes and not able to contact adjuster. It's been 4 months too long that the claim has been open.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Have called Jennifer ** several times about my claims not being handled. My accident happen in 02/02/2017. It is now the MID June. They claim they are not getting my medical records. I contacted my doctor's office and they have documentation they have fax, mailed and send in my claim and medical, not getting it. I talk to Megan on 06/08/2017. She told me they are getting only half the fax coming in, well come to find out it's on their end. My doctor office all their cover letter stated how many pages were sent and when it was sent.

Call and call and no manager or supervisor wants to take my call at this point. It was 4 people in the accident. Out of the 4 one person claim has been paid and closed out while me and the other two ladies are in limbo. They are not good at calling back and my claims person which is Jennifer ** is never in office. She's always out. I am at the point where I need to get a attorney to get my bill paid because I'm receiving bills, bills, bills on this matter.

Original review: June 1, 2017

My experience with Allstate Long Term Care has been very negative. The customer service is nonexistent, as I had to report them to Indiana Department of Insurance just to get a return call from our adjuster. Currently, the issue is they are denying a facility, that meets my father's contract verbiage exactly. Allstate approved this facility verbally five time. They now are denying benefits, stating, Quote "We have changed our minds!" They have made many outrageous statements, even stating a pre approved facility (written) would be denied! This company practices deceptive methods and is committing Elder Abuse. I will be taking this fight to the top. I would like to collect other stories and attempt a Class Action Law Suit!

Original review: May 8, 2017

I just came across an old whole life insurance policy my father had with Allstate since the late 60's. So I thought I would read some reviews on the kind of policy this was as well as customer’s comment and thoughts into the company. I stated at the beginning of the reviews around early March 2016 or 2017. It's what caught my eye and I wonder if it caught anyone else's. Well the first 12 to 14 comment were total complaint on the company's performance, tactics, all around misleading the customer. These complaint have no stats to maybe one on one complaint. And the first 12 to 14 are submitted every few week, even up to a couple of months apart. There might be two complaint that are a day apart and this spreading over 4 to 6 months.

Then the next 14 to 29 comment are all compliments. But the strange thing that caught my eye. Was these are all five start, literally one day after another and a few of the days have 2 & 3 compliments the same day. But as soon as a few complaints come in weeks apart. Well here comes back to back compliment day after day for a month straight. Hell there three compliments posted on xmas and two on new year. I don't know about anyone else but I sure am not gonna be worried about posting, especially on xmas.

I'll do that after the holidays. It might be nothing or maybe it me. But I just found that to not look right. So anyone who is gonna take the time to read the comment don't do fooled if those compliments happen to be fake and misleading. I haven't even talk to an agent in regards to my father’s policy that he got in 1967. I'm going straight to our attorney. Because I can see were my father who passed 28 years ago, will get the shaft, even after being in the grave. Hope I didn't bore anyone. Keep up the good work on pounding them with the compliant, there will never be enough of it. Sorry to those who got the shaft and didn't see it coming.

Original review: April 23, 2017

We had a universal plan (Voya) that was underfunded and ran out! And we didn't receive anything from them until it was about to run out! So we thought we would apply for life insurance as we have our auto, home, camper, golf cart all through Allstate for many years! We applied in January and just got a call last week on 4-18 that we are being accepted but with a 35% increase because they say I have health problems and have reason to believe that they consider me a smoker! What??? They are putting me in the smokers category with the highest percentage! I go to the VA for all my medical because I am a Vietnam vet! My doctor has never once said anything to me that I had health problems and I am not on any medications and I have never smoked outside of a few years ago having a cigar, like when my great grandson was born, that's it, now I guess I am considered a smoker!

They want money!! I have never smoked a cigarette in my life!! Allstate went back 5 years on my medical records and nitpicked and pulled apart my records (who does that?). Anything that was even said 5 years ago!! My doctor said for a 69 year old man I am in good health outside of being overweight and she said I need to lose a few pounds! I am being treated unfairly by Allstate and I am considering pulling everything away from them! It's the principle! My blood pressure was taken by ExamOne. 120/80 and 124/80. They put me in the red and said it is a concern? What?? My doctor said these are very good readings?? So go figure!! They said it should be below 120/80!!? I am not paying 35% more for being healthy!

Now I am looking elsewhere!! These people are so unfair. It's not a good feeling! You are not in good hands with Allstate! It took 3 months to hear back this news? What were they doing all this time??? This is how I feel about Allstate now and this is how they treat veterans trying to get life insurance! Oh and by the way all Vietnam vets were exposed to Agent Orange!! Through no fault of their own!! Thanks Allstate!!

Updated on 05/09/2017: This is the follow-up on a previous review from a Vietnam veteran whose life insurance was increased 35% by Allstate! I called Allstate for a letter confirming the reasons why the increase so I could take the letter to my VA doctor to go over the medical problems that Allstate says I have!! The girl did say they are not doctors! I needed something in writing!! Allstate refused to send me the letter. Says it's not their policy!! I was on the phone with them a good 15 minutes. Still said NO, not their policy. This is about me!!! I deserve this letter. I wasn't expecting a hard time from them over a letter. I guess they don't put anything in writing so they can't be held accountable, and I told them that. The communication is really bad with them! I never received anything in writing from them ever, just a phone call! Must be a reason for this wouldn't you think?? I'm still fighting this. Wish me luck!

Original review: April 11, 2017

I've had an Allstate Short Term Disability Policy for over a year and recently I had to undergo surgery. First, I was declined for my accident policy 'rider' which meant I would not be reimbursed for my hospital stay and/bills (all of which my agent assured me I could file a claim for). Second, after filling out all the paperwork including statements from my doctor and employer, the Claims Department continues to email me that I am missing paperwork. Lastly, claims is suppose to take 10 to 15 days to be complete but that is simply not true. It is highly unlikely that after being out of work for three months I will see any payments before I return to work.

Today I found out my claim cannot be completed until my employer sends them a return date which they will not know for sure until after my doctor clears me the end of this month. This company is a SCAM!!! I have had Allstate for over 10 years for car and life insurance. I felt it would be fine to use them for Short Term Disability, Accident, and Cancer insurance. I think I may have made a huge mistake. Please people shop around before choosing Allstate... you will be sorry.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Allstate Disability Insurance - Signed up in Dec 2016. Had Heart bypass surgery in Feb 2017 - never had any problems before that. Had all my doctors and hospitals fill out and send in forms. Keep getting letters from Claims saying they need additional info from doctors or hospital - or never received anything - I got fax confirmation pages. Unable to reach Claims dept to speak directly - have to use customer service - which doesn't have all the info. No matter what I send - they always need something else. Been almost 2 months - no closer to having claim processed than the day I filed it. NEVER buy into this scam!!! Would give them 0 stars if possible. Next call to Attorney General Insurance Fraud Dept.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

My husband and I bought this policy in December of 1991. We have paid $83.42 per month since then. Our planned annual premium is $1,001.04. My husband was insured for 100,000 with a year of expiry or maturity date of 2053. I was an additional insured rider with $50,000 policy with year of expiry or maturity 2024. This means we have paid just over $24,000 over the last 16 years and we are now told that the policy will expire in April 2017 when my husband is 59 years of age. We were never told to increase our payments. And the cash value as of December 7, 2016 is $364.72. DO NOT BUY ANY INSURANCE FROM ALLSTATE. Have totally been ripped off. I would have been better off to bank the money over the years. I cannot understand how they legally can get away with this. Apparently I am told our premiums did not cover the costs. I still do not understand why. I should have cancelled years ago. Sorry to have been taken for a fool.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I received a letter from a rep Sharee **. I called to complain that I did not request for a quote and did not have my permission to pull my credit information and she just didn't care and hung up. Obviously, these people need to be sued.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

I have been with Mike Udell Allstate insurance (southern CA) for the past ten years. I have never met him or his staff. He has a wonderful staff who have always taken care of me over the phone. I highly recommend them. NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

My mom's life policy - after I paid for life insurance with Allstate 30 years Allstate said they sent me notification that I didn't have enough money in the policy to pay yet they've had my banking account number 30 years taking the premiums out of my account. I never received any notice. They said they sent it to my address that I had been living there for eight years yet I never received notice. Allstate insurance company is a ripoff and I know this for a fact because I sold insurance for them for 5 years and it made me sick to my stomach when I saw some of the tactics they used to get out of paying their clients.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I'm on here writing a review on behalf of my mother Dorothy. Allstate is a freaking rip off! The agent Mr. A. ** sold her a universal policy August 1, 1993 and told her that the premium would not go up and needless to say it did because it was actually a flexible (adjustable) policy and on top of that the maturity age they typed on the policy was 95 years old! My mother had no knowledge of the age that the agent listed on the policy and the fact that she was a smoker at the time doesn't make any sense. Who the hell lives til age 95 these days? She contacted the agent and had him over to her home to discuss the age issue and straight out said he didn't write the policy. Wth??? Who the hell wrote it!!??? SMH... I'm so furious with these damn insurance companies ripping people off and the only reason I rated them a 1 star was because I had no choice but if I could I would have given them a minus 10. Stay clear away from these crooks!!!

Original review: July 9, 2016

I have been a loyal customer with Allstate for over 40 years. I recently received a letter from the company stating I borrowed against my policy due to late payment. I never missed a payment before grace period. My policy for 40 years and paid consistently every month since 1976. It is completely untrue that I borrowed against my policy. After speaking with managers and associates I am appalled and disappointed how the situation was handled. It is disappointing how my situation was handled. How can you pay into a company for 40 years and received such poor customer service. Does customer loyalty matter, how Allstate handled me and my situation was completely unacceptable.

Original review: March 9, 2016

I've always had great service and the rates are reasonable. We've tried others before and they are not that good and they raise the rates without notice.

Original review: March 9, 2016

Allstate is a good company that always listens when I have a claim. They make sure to take care of me whenever something happens. Their premiums are low and I can't see myself going to another company.

Original review: March 8, 2016

They are a solid company that generally cares for their customers well being and not just out there for the money. They are also competitive in price so I give them a solid recommendation.

Original review: March 7, 2016

I have a fairly new policy with Allstate but they seem personable and are very affordable. I feel happy knowing my family is covered should something happen to me.

Original review: March 6, 2016

Allstate is a great company. They have different policies to fit your needs. Whether it is life insurance, home owners insurance or auto insurance, they have great rates and great customer service.

Original review: March 5, 2016

It is a great company. For a minimum price, you get maximum reassurance. They are very helpful and make sure you thoroughly understand everything. They provide great customer service and you can always understand the person that you are talking to.

Original review: March 4, 2016

Past and previous experience. This is a very caring and and understanding brand. I would do all I could to recommend this company to anyone needing a good life insurance policy.

Original review: March 3, 2016

It was fairly easy to get a policy. I had to meet with a nurse who came to my house, asked some health questions, took my blood pressure and stress a few tube of blood. A few days later my agent called to tell me my policy was approved and set up autopay. Then I had to stop by my agent's office to sign my policy papers a few days later.

Original review: March 2, 2016

I've been very satisfied with Allstate. They are always very quick to respond to any and all questions I have had over the years. Their prices are very reasonable for the kind of service they offer.

Allstate expert review by Neal Frankle

Allstate was founded in 1931 as part of Sears, Roebuck and Company. Allstate established its beginning by selling auto insurance. Founded in 1993, Allstate calls Northfield Township, Illinois home.

• Current-customer convenience: Choosing Allstate for life insurance needs can be convenient for consumers who already have auto and/or home insurance with the company.

• Products: Allstate offers a limited menu of life insurance products.

• History: Allstate began selling life insurance in Canada in 1953 and eventually began marketing their products in the United States but is considered a newcomer to the life insurance industry.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

Allstate Life Insurance Company Information