Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I shopped for home insurance when I first bought my house and Allstate gave me $1900 which was the best offer! One year later without knowing Allstate adds $400 and informs the mortgage company without letting me know!!! I accidentally knew when my mortgage company sent me the end of year escrow summary where I had a shortage that I have to pay!!!

When I called them their answer was, "well your insurance company changed your policy and it jumped from 1900 to 2300!!!" When Allstate sends policy review they mention everything except the price!!! By the time I learned all of this I had already canceled my policy with them just because I felt that I keep paying more! And after knowing all of this I called Allstate for explanation. They said "well sorry we can't review your policy because you already cancelled it!!" This is the worst insurance company ever. I don't usually write reviews, but I don't want other people to get scammed so be careful stay away from Allstate!!

I had a horrible adjuster, didn't honor my structural or content claim, both were damaged as a result of a wind storm, stated that nothing was wrong. Clearly didn't want to work, or honor my claim. What am I paying for? Auto and homeowners, I'm devastated, and so unsatisfied!

I have had nothing but issues with this company. I bought my home in 2014 and the lender suggested Allstate, ok being a new homeowner I thought was ok. Well I had to file a claim for the roof and they said it was poor maintenance and paid 250.00 - WTF!!! This time they raised my premium so high that it wiped out my escrow money and now I have not enough to pay for my taxes. I spoke with my lender and she said they will pay my taxes but I will have to pay extra 75.00 on mortgage to cover that money. I really hate Allstate. So in order for me to get the premium down to a normal rate I can pay, I had to leave Geico insurance and add my jeep to a bundled policy with them. I feel like they bullied me into giving them my jeep as well. I cannot stress how much I hate them and this at the time of Christmas. When it is time to renew, I will call them to cancel because they are a horrible company. I never want to be in their hands again for anything.

We have been a customer of Allstate for 25 years. They have been fabulous to work with. We moved into a new custom home 10 years ago. At that time, Pex pipe was used in many custom homes. We had our first problem in Oct, 2012 when the house was six years old. This was when we found out about the class action lawsuit; however, there was no recourse available. We have had 3 more claims since that time; the total cost to Allstate for all claims was approx. $25K. We received a letter in Sept notifying us they would not renew our homeowners policy when it came up for renewal in December, 2016.

I have called, written letters, talked to my local agent and congressional rep and nobody was able to get Allstate to allow us to remain their customer. The reason is because our claims were water related. I have never had this experience; i.e., being told by a company we do not want your business. Also, I never thought I would beg a company to keep me as a customer. I really thought Allstate was different from the horror stories I have heard throughout the years about insurance problems. It is unbelievable how insurance companies are allow to treat their customers and even more unbelievable is that we are forced to tolerate the treatment. Allstate is just like the rest... they love you until you need them and then, they are done with you.

My neighbor's tree fell on my garage in mid July. I paid to have tree removed. An adjuster came out and gave estimate for repair. Allstate gave me name of contractor they use who came out and said garage could not be repaired and had to be torn down and rebuilt. Allstate sent out two engineers who confirmed this. That was months ago. They are still not giving me the insured value of the replacement. I cannot rebuild the garage for what they will pay and if I don't replace it, I can only put in a shed. The agent hasn't returned phone calls. I've been more than patient but after their baloney "you're in good hands" I am going to cancel my auto and homeowners with them. They are the worst!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Allstate way overestimated the cost to replace my house for insurance purposes which caused my rate to be sky high. I had another company give me an estimate to replace my house and it was half of what Allstate was charging. I had to fire this company after they raised not only my house but auto insurance. They also bounced my checking account 2 times costing me $80 in overdraft fees when they were told not to use my bank account, that I would be paying with my credit card each month but they went ahead and robbed my bank account anyway.

I feel this company is a complete scam when it comes to costs. I was told rate increase was from other people making claims on their houses. Yet I never made 1 claim on my house yet my insurance cost went up 2 times. I did find another company which I am much happier with and they do not overdraw my bank or raise my rates constantly. I feel I am due a refund for the money they overcharged me for years.

I'm a customer and when the time comes during an event that damaged my home, I feel the money I pay them, I deserve at least one phone call from the company suggesting what I should do. I'm not an insurance expert nor do I know protocol. I was left to figure out what to do, how to do it, etc. Never received one phone call from this company. This is my biggest complaint which justifies their 1 star rating. If I treated my customers this way I would be fired. To this day I cannot get someone in Allstate to answer me why their customer service was non existent. It's all about the almighty dollar and the consumer is 2nd. Allstate wake up. Without us you are nothing. I will keep writing reviews with different sites so I can protect other people from my experiences. I cannot recommend yr firm.

My home was robbed in my garage. They took all my cooking stuff, and food for my church dinner and my candelabras and centerpieces I borrowed from my sister. Allstate says "you can't have other people's stuff in your home." They will not cover. Also now the investigator wants phone records and bs. I never heard of any of this. That's why everyone is giving neg reviews. They lie to you and just want your money. The police came and found a print where they pried my garage open. It's so sad. So beware and check out insurance. And watch your home areas. It's holidays now.

After suffering a robbery of our home, Allstate all but slapped us in the face and basically we felt completely robbed again. 10K of items stolen, including a safe which held a diamond ring with an official appraisal which we had photos of. Not only did Allstate take 3 months to respond to the claim, they came back with a $354.00 check. It was literally surreal. They claimed we needed to list all our items with them or they are not covered. Also if someone is living there for 5 years with proof, but is not on the actual deed, then nothing they owned is covered at all!!! It was the most horrific experience to be violated and then to get completely violated again by the people you pay to protect you. The worst company ever, total scam. This whole ordeal has left me sick to my stomach.

RUN!!! I was a 14 yr. policyholder. My Advice --- do not do business with them. Research "which companies have highest re-enrollment rates" --- it's not Allstate. These hands are filthy lining their pockets with your money. Payout is almost impossible. July 13,2016 a faucet busted after I left for work. $280,000 home. By 1:15 pm an inch of water had covered first floor -- ~ 1300 sq ft. Allstate wanted to settle by giving me $15,158 to REPLACE kitchen cabinets, all wood floors, baseboards, paint, necessary electrical and plumbing costs. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Vendor Estimates were over $40,000!! They delay, delay, and lowball settlement offers. I could not even start the job as I did not have the $25,000 difference. 3 Months passed. MOLD GREW due to delays. Costs escalated. They want to wait you out. They take NO responsibility. They refused additional living expenses so I could not even obtain equal living quarters during this time. I had to contact the STATE BOARD OF INSURANCE TO REPORT THEM.

They refused to pay fair market value for wood flooring -- they assign the lowest possible value to your home at payout but highest value to set monthly rates they charge. Same problem with electrical. These were not upgrades -- they are replacements. This is November and the nightmare continues... INSANE and unethical. PLEASE REPORT YOUR ISSUES WITH THIS COMPANY TO YOUR STATE BOARD OF INSURANCE.

My rental home was damaged during a storm in November of 2015. I filed a claim with Allstate Insurance Homeowners Policy and was denied. The Insurance adjuster stated in his findings that Allstate does not insure homes with torch-down roofs. I provided proof that when the home was initially insured in 2005. It was stated that the home had a torch-down roof, and the policy was written with that understanding. I then filed a complaints with the Insurance Commission of Oregon, who did nothing to help me with my claim. Beware of Allstate. You're in "Good Hands" if they are taking your money and don't file any claim. What a Rip Off company.

I had renter insurance with Allstate for over 8 years without any claim. In May 2015 my wife and I were moving out our apartment and the neighbor created a hostile atmosphere which forced us to leave some household and personal belonging behind. I made a claim to Allstate of the loss ($2414) which the adjuster claimed was not in the contract... My understanding has been that a renter insurance is supposed to cover all contents for loss when the event occurs. If my situation was not covered as a legitimate claim what was the policy covering??? I would high urge consumers to boycott Allstate when they fail to cover a legitimate loss.

Being a homeowner for over 20 years, downsizing to an apartment has had its adjustments. Since I've never had a Renter's Policy before, I wanted to stick with a highly reputable and well-known company - which is why I chose Allstate. I filed a claim after my neighbor upstairs had a leak that came down through my apartment with nasty brown-colored water that soaked and ruined clothing inside a closet. I sent the adjuster at Allstate pictures and video of the incident. Immediately... and let me repeat this, IMMEDIATELY. The adjuster began running down a list of excuses why they wouldn't pay. He even accused me of trying to scam them. When I called him out on it, his excuse was that they have a high incidence of fraud with renter's policies. I was shocked.

While I understand adjusters have a job to do, not once was I reassured that Allstate was in my corner. Quite the opposite was true... you can tell a very STRONG emphasis is placed on them to get OUT of paying claims, and ZERO emphasis placed on quality customer service. I did not appreciate being called a liar - especially when I gave them all the proof they needed for the claim.

Very bad experience. I been their customer since 1996, sadly I had a theft claim last June and it's my first claim ever. I been through a lot with the whole situation and with ALLSTATE that I have to keep repeating myself over and over and asking me again and again for the list of the stolen items which they have it since 06/24/2016 because they want me to get fed-up and give up, and they are not even covering my whole loss, because my insurance policy is only $15000.00 and my loss is over double from that, almost all my jewelry is gone in gold and silver, my black watches bands, $1638.00 cash, gift cards, my home spare keys, some antiques and crystals, couple small brand name bags and wallets, coach key chains, perfumes etc...

The thief has a long history of stealing and drugs, she is in jail, but I don't know where to find my stuff or some of it at least. I been suffering a lot from this situation even with my health with no help at all. And I used to think that AlllState is a good company, and they will be there for us BUT with this experience it came out to be it is a very bad. It seems that I have to get the media attention on the whole situation through Internet, newspaper's or whatever, and hire an attorney to file a lawsuit even if he will take all of the money from this claim. Their renters insurance claims department is horrible, they make me suffer more on the top of what I have from my loss and damage.

I've been with AllState for a long time, and I have never file a claim. Two months ago, I got robbed, after living at the house for 16 years, needless to say I felt scare and violated. They took my two laptops where I had backup of photos and receipts. The agent, Steve **, or I think he's an adjuster, more like a clown have call me a liar for not be able to give him exact receipts from the merchants for the items stolen. Even though I have give him all receipts and paperwork he has asked for. He writes back letters telling me that those receipts are not acceptable. I'm in despair and looking for a lawyer at this point. I know he has a personal vendetta against me, or at least it feels that way.

One of their agents was very rude. About two weeks ago, I requested Allstate to investigate liability of my home damage. One of the agents called me to tell me that they cannot cover the damage because it wasn't under their policy. That's totally fine. All I wanted was to check back in with them and see whether it can be covered or not.

The part that really offended me was that this guy's manner. He treated me as if I was the one who kept asking for money or arguing with him about the policy. He was defensive in the beginning of the call and kept going on with his argument. Then I asked for clarity on some damage coverage statements. He cut my question and repeated the same argument quickly as if I couldn't understand his statements. At that point I already got angry on his tone of the voice and manner. This unpleasantness ruined my morning. I don't know what type of call he made right before mine, but it was really unfair and offensive that I was treated as such since my claim was about investigating the situation with them and understand it not getting money from them.

If they could simply explain how they investigated the case and answer my question in polite way, I would've been ok with this situation. I don't want to worry about talking with rude people in the future, especially when I am worried about the accident happened in my house. I appreciate companies with polite, right mannered agents and apparently Allstate is not one of them.

My home is less than 2 years old and we have owned it for less than a year. An inspection of the home was completed by a home inspector and by Allstate prior to insuring the home in Aug. 2015. A hail storm occurred the first week of July 2016. Allstate did cover all damages related to hail damage EXCEPT the most expensive part, the roof. The adjuster told me and showed pictures of an estimated 50 chipped concrete roof tiles that he claimed not one single chip was due to the hail. I don't know how anyone can make that assumption knowing that the roof was inspected less than a year ago with no damage reported.

Allstate claims that all of the chipped tiles are due to a manufacturer defect. So in their view, they are saying that at least 50 concrete tiles all chipped, on their own, in less than a year with no weather related damage. Other homes on my street with different insurance companies but the same type of roof ARE covering the damages to their roofs. I will not continue to insure my home with Allstate in the future.

We live in rented apartment community in Tampa, FL. We were out on vacation and when we came back our daughter bedroom roof came. Luckily, no one was hurt. When we called our apartment leasing office they told us while we were out there was a tropical storm and that caused the damage and we should file our claim with our Renters Insurance for all the personal property damage. When we filed our claim with Allstate and Castle Key insurance they said everything will be taken care of and we need to submit the picture of the damages. We did all that.

After 3 months they came back stating the claim is denied. When we asked why they said the property manager said on the phone that the damages are not due to rain or wind. When I asked the insurance company whether the property manager gave anything in writing they said no, stating verbal communication is enough to deny the claims. I submitted all the email communication which I received from the same person to insurance stating it's the storm but the insurance company without any written communication or letter from the property manager denied the claim.

We filed a claim for a hail damage back in April 2016. The insurance company issued a check but we had to return it as they had the mortgage company's name wrong. Fast forward to August 23, 2016 and we still haven't received the replacement check. We have called numerous times but we got no response from them, our agent is always "busy" or in a meeting. I am starting to lose hope that we will ever get our money back as we had to pay out of pocket for all the repairs. To everyone thinking of going with Allstate, please reconsider and save yourself all the headache of dealing with this company.

Got a quote online for a renter's policy. Was affordable and a few bucks cheaper than our policy with Geico. We signed up and paid the premium. A few days later, the local agent called and asked for appraisals for the 3 pieces of jewelry we listed in the online application. 2 weeks later we get a bill for $2500. I called to ask what this was since the policy we were quoted was $723 (and we paid it in full). The person insisted I made changes to the limits and this was why the policy went up.

After arguing for over a week, someone called and admitted the policy was being jacked up to cover the jewelry (even though I listed them in the online quote to the penny) and insisted we were called and this was discussed and we agreed to pay this. They actually increased the premium 500% and didn't call - just expected us to pay. Laughingly, I asked her if she was being serious in asking us to pay $3500 per year for a renter's policy. She was dead serious. Asked to cancel it immediately, kept trying to talk me out of it and insisted I needed to send her an email to confirm the cancellation. That's more money than my parents paid for homeowner's insurance. Lol. Avoid.

I am now disabled and unemployed so I was shopping for better homeowners insurance so I went online for quotes for homeowner insurance. Allstate called to give me a quote for homeowner's insurance. The agents name was Diane. I was receiving a lot of calls from different insurance. Some called while I was talking to her and I did not like the way she was trying to get me to decide on the phone. I received a call and placed her on hold. It was Travelers. They had better coverage and better rates that I could afford. I agreed to sign with Travelers instead of Allstate. I switched back to the call with Allstate and she was gone but I received a call from another agent. Told her I had got a call from Diane but I went with another insurance. Diane was talking to my mortgage company unbeknown to me. I signed with Travelers, called my mortgage company three way, got everything set up and started.

Next day I received a call from Diane's manager asking me why I did not choose Allstate. I explained and he ended the called saying that he was sorry about not getting me to sign. I then received a call from my mortgage company and that is when I found out Diane had called them and told them she was going to be my insurance agent. I said "no way." I had already signed with Traveler and spoke to another MORTGAGE REP. WHO CONFIRMED, SO THAT agent who spoke to Allstate called them and they had to resolve that between them.

Now I just received a letter from a CC. A debt collection agency stated I have a past due debt with Allstate for the full amount of a policy I never signed nor agreed to. They kept sending me paperwork to sign and I never did. I repeatedly told them I did not want their homeowner's insurance. That I had insurance with another agency. I feel like I am not in America anymore. This is a terroristic move by ALLSTATE to take my civil liberties away. I HAVE A RIGHT TO CHOOSE WHO I WANT AS A INSURANCE COMPANY!

My wife and I recently purchased a home that was built in 1955. Allstate Homeowners Insurance was recommended to us. We purchased a homeowners policy and while doing so we were ask if we wanted to purchase a life insurance policy as well. Not knowing what the future holds we did decide to do this as long as our payments for the life policy would be deducted from our escrow account just as our homeowners policy and yearly taxes would be. The agent assured me that would be no problem to have it set up that way. Keep in mind that the Allstate Agent Bonny ** was told ahead of time that if this was not a possibility, that we did not want the life insurance policy.

Everything was moving along smoothly until we were in our house for 3 days, then we received a cancellation notice for our homeowners policy due to the fact the "5" shingles on our roof were worn a bit. So then we moved on to another home owners policy, not that much headache involved. At that point we start getting notices from our bank about being overdrafted in our account...which by the way our account has never been overdrafted in the 3 years it has been open. Allstate was debiting money out of our account for the life insurance policy. We contacted Bonny ** for 3-4 straight days by email and telephone leaving several voice mails as to why Allstate was debiting the money out of our account when it was supposed to be taken out of the escrow account.

Finally on the 4th day we received an email stating that she worked 5 separate offices and did not have time to keep up with every finite detail of her customers' lives and that we should have contacted her before closing on our home so she could have it set up that way. Also in her response was a statement that we purchased a policy and now we had to pay for it, the policy was not free of charge. We conceded thinking our mistake was not notifying Bonny ** about our closing. Ms. ** said now that the closing had taken place we could not set up the payments to come directly from the escrow account. We apologized and corresponded with Ms. ** about the payment and requested that all future payments come out of our bank account on the 21st of the month, not the 5th of the month due to our pay schedule. Ms. ** assured us that this would be no problem and we thought all was settled once again. It was not!!

We continued to get cancellation notices from Allstate due to lack of payments. Again keep in mind we started the policy April 14th 2016 and paid her $90. May 1st Allstate direct drafted $91 from our account. I contacted Ms. ** about the cancellation policy notices and she stated that it was a billing issue and it was out of her hands and we would have to contact them to get any issue resolved. When we contacted billing and spoke with Christy she stated that it was set up on quarterly billing and that would be easy to resolve. However due to the fact that we wanted the payment date changed from the 5th of the month to the 21st of the month, we would have to send in another $91 and also on the 21st of July another payment of $91 would be direct drafted from our bank account. In doing this everything would be resolved and we would be caught up on all payments and everything would be resolved. It was not resolved.

On July 22 I called the bank to make sure the direct draft came through - it had not. I called Allstate Customer Service Line and was told that the policy was in cancellation due to non payment. Summing up all this mess we have paid out $$270 and have gotten nothing in return except headache, stress, grief, and horrendous customer service. Now in order to cancel the policy we have to fill out a cancellation form and after Allstate approves it should they deem any refund due they will cut a check at that time.

I will not recommend anyone purchase any policy with Allstate. We were not in good hands. As far as we are concerned Allstate Insurance is nothing like they advertise. Buying life insurance and home owners insurance should never be this stressful and hard. We have never had such a horrid experience anywhere like the one we encountered with Allstate Insurance and its agents. Please please please take our advice and run when you hear the words Allstate insurance. Trust us you will not be in good hands!!!

Just received a non-renewal notification from Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company. I have paid insurance through Allstate for the length of my home ownership, 15 years, starting at a premium of $899 which is now over $2200 per year. In those 15 years I have had a total of 2 claims, the first a little over $3000, which occurred in May of 2012. The second most recent was filed February of 2016, of which the entire payment was recovered from the other claimants insurance company.

In other words Allstate recovered all of the monies that was paid to us for the damages incurred, an SUV struck our garden area destroying our brickwork. The non-renewal statement clearly shows both claims with the latter indicating $0.0 paid. It is beyond my belief how an insurance company whose slogan is "You're in good hands with Allstate" can be so heartless and drop a customer who has paid insurance for 15 years, but because of two claims which totaled less than $4000 can drop a customer with two months left on our policy.

My recommendation to anyone considering going to Allstate for homeowners insurance is to not even consider them in the first place, and for current policyholders I would seriously consider looking into another company for insurance. Allstate should change its slogan to "You're in good hands with Allstate, until you file a claim". Apparently Allstate only cares about those customers who never file a claim. I thought the purpose of insurance is to cover your home for damages, but in Allstate's case its only purpose seems like to collect your money and hope you don't file a claim or two. This company turns out to be probably the worst insurance scam I have ever heard of.

Apparently Allstate never heard of the power of social media. This letter to ConsumerAffairs is only the beginning, I intend to put this company on blast until it reaches the media, enough is enough with this company. I had no idea Allstate was this bad, and to find out how bad this way, makes it even worst. This is not the way to treat loyal customers, Allstate should be ashamed of itself. The claims filed were NOT of negligence, and was through no fault of our own. With the notice Allstate has the gall to state "Feel free to contact your Allstate representative to see if there are any ways Allstate can continue to work with you to meet your insurance needs". Really, why would I want to be a customer after this. Never again, not homeowners, not car, not rental, no insurance products ever again from Allstate for this household. I intend to pass this on to as many people as possible.

Which is why I'm writing this. So my fiance has Allstate & after reviewing his policy I contact his agent. Now this agent tells me that Allstate will cover a rental property or 2nd home so I go through the lengthy process of trying to determine the right coverage. He and another person at the office are very responsive to my emails. He calls me when I prefer not to be called, seems like a genuine guy. I pay one month's premium, but when I get the policy it say I live there & had another misprint on it. When I ask him if it's okay, because I don't live there, I get no response. I tell them I won't sign the papers & fax them back until I get an answer. This was 2 weeks ago & several messages later to him & the other person not a blip from either. No response whatsoever.

So yesterday I finally call the 800# to clarify some things & just to verify I even have a policy, which they confirm I do. But I still feel leery. I mean who hounds you & then ignores you but makes you think a company is reputable? And I found out that most things can be handled by the 800# so why are there field agent offices? My car company, Wawanesa, doesn't have field agencies. It's a company & I never had an issue with a claim so this is weird to me someone courting you then "dumping" you once they get your money.

Plus, I'm worried if something does happen, because the policy written isn't correct, that they'll deny any claim if they realize I don't live there even though they said it wasn't an issue. Why lie? Apparently my fiance's policy is written the same way, but he hasn't dealt with the guy in over 10 years (no claims). I think I will look into Liberty Mutual. I know a couple of people who have them & rate them very high.

I would never, ever recommended Allstate to cover ANYTHING! After 25 years of paying them they refused to cover a water leak in my home, before that my roof! Everyone around me had hail damage from a storm & had no problem getting a replacement, oh, but not me, I had ALLSTATE! My children & I went on vacation. During the time we were gone we had a pipe burst in our garage wall with backed up to kitchen/dining area. All dining room was ruined, things stored in garage was ruined. We filed a claim, that's why we pay right?? Wrong, we were denied, time after time! Switching today & will tell EVERYONE I know/see NEVER think you're in good hands with Allstate!

I would not trust this company because I had insurance with them for renter insurance. Then I transfer to Homeowners after I bought my house. The first hurricane I received a letter saying they were no longer providing insurance in FL. They bailed on the people leaving us to find another company. They have engaged in the worst form of gamesmanship to achieve their own goals. Run away don't walk!

We recently switched from American Family for our homeowners to Allstate... What a huge mistake! The agency botched the switch over and we had to send in all the paperwork to our bank. A few weeks after we with Allstate, we received notice that we were missing 5 individual shingles on our roof due to a "windstorm" a few weeks earlier. We were much luckier than others in our neighborhood. 3 days later we had the 5 missing pieces replaced and we notified our agency the problem was corrected. Today we received a refund and cancellation notice for roof problems. We contacted our agency and received info that it was because their inspector could not make it out within the 20 days. I was upset and wanted to make sure this was just a "wires crossed" situation and they could not confirm.

I called the agency when I got home, still upset, and demanded to get answer as to whether or not they were going to reinstall the policy or if I needed new insurance. The agency was unable to give me an answer. Fed up I left a negative review on their Facebook page. The agency owner reached out and asked to speak with me Monday to fix the problem, which I agreed to.

One of the girls at the agency wrote a reply to my post telling me to go elsewhere and made an outright lie about a conversation with my wife. I contacted the agency owner and told him that since his people wanted me to go elsewhere and called us liars, we would not be looking to contact him. 15 minutes later the Facebook posts were deleted. What a mistake we made to save some money. Mayhem? Allstate and its agencies are the real mayhem. Hopefully someone will learn from this and not make the same mistake we did. Never been treated so rudely and unprofessionally in all my life.

I made a BIG MISTAKE. I called Sughrue for a quote. I decided against switching. I verbally told them I would not be buying insurance from them. They charged my mortgage servicer for a year of homeowner's insurance. They were paid. In addition, my real Insurance company was paid. How did they get my mortgage info. I was told to get a quote I had to prove that I had insurance the past 12 months. I faxed the declaration page from my insurance company to them. When I called Sughrue I was told the person that had handled this was no longer employed. Conveniently her last day was just the day before. I asked to speak with Sughrue, before I could explain the problem he yelled at me "you have insurance with us" and he hung up on me. BTW I have written proof that I did not agree to the policy.

My mortgage servicer called them. My mortgage servicer said what they did was ILLEGAL. ILLEGAL to have 2 insurance policies. It was agreed to refund what my mortgage servicer had paid them. Weeks later I receive a Cancellation Notice with a partial refund! Finally months later I did receive the full amount. Maybe it was an honest mistake, (who knows maybe that is why the person that initiated the quote was no longer there). If I had been treated courteously and if they had admitted I never had a policy and was sent the full refund I would feel differently. But this has gone on for months with several hours on the phone. I am filing a complaint with the Insurance Commission.

My area had bad storms last year that damaged home siding and roofs. Everyone on my block was affected. I was the only one insured with Allstate. Most had State Farm. I filed two claims for roof damage. Allstate refused. Their premiums are very high, they do not insure their customers, they rape them. We had a wind storm this year. I have sheets of shingles that flew off the roof. Allstate refuses coverage. Have had them for 16 years. Find another company. If enough people pull away maybe they will get the message. Oh, and contacting the Department of Insurance is useless. Allstate bought them.

I was ok, until I talked to the man that works there. He was rude, and treated me like I was not important. My husband try to call but he was rude to him too. I will never be insured with them again.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Allstate is one of America’s largest and most popular insurance companies. The company provides many types of insurance, including auto insurance, life insurance, homeowners insurance and more.

• Accessible: Allstate offers insurance across America, making it a convenient choice for a homeowners insurance policy no matter where a person lives.
  • Reward programs: This company offers helpful programs for people who pay for protection but don’t need to use it, such as the claims-free rewards program,. Even if discount programs aren’t advertised, consumers should call or email their insurance representatives to ask about discounts, since many companies award them without publicizing them.
  • Convenience: Allstate has an excellent Web presence and convenient online tools. Potential customers can request custom quotes via tools on the company’s website.
  • Customer service: Allstate is a huge company, but it operates with thousands of local agents around the country.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home owners