Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Allstate Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.44/5

Allstate is the second-largest homeowners insurance company in the U.S. When you request a quote, Allstate suggests three different levels of coverage to choose from. You can further customize a policy to fit your needs. Although Allstate’s prices can be higher than some other companies', it has multiple discounts available and a high financial strength rating.

BOTTOM LINE

Allstate provides good homeowners insurance with several levels of coverage. The prices are a bit higher than average, but Allstate might still be a good choice for those looking to protect their home.

PROS

• Several coverage options
  • High financial strength rating
  • Plentiful discounts

CONS

• Slightly high costs

Top Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

After a plumbing leak flooded the 1st floor of my home, Allstate covered all the repair costs and property damage. I've been with Allstate for almost 3 years and every time we filed a claim it was handled quickly... The agent we deal with is very helpful and so were the ones handling the claims.

We recently had severe wind damage done to our swimming pool. I thought for sure it would be a real hassle even inquiring about homeowner's coverage on it. Well let me tell you... I have never been happier with a company... I would recommend them to anyone.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

How does Allstate homeowners insurance work?

Allstate homeowners insurance covers your home from certain perils in exchange for a premium. In the event of damage from a covered peril, you’ll file a claim, pay a deductible and Allstate pays the rest. Additional insurance coverage is available for events not covered in the traditional homeowners insurance package.

Purchase Allstate homeowners insurance directly from Allstate or through independent agents. Allstate also has a mobile app to get a quote, assess what type and amount of insurance you need and update personal information. Allstate writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Allstate home insurance cost

In general, Allstate homeowners insurance costs are higher than those of other insurance companies. Expect a policy to cost anywhere from $1,250 to $1,650 a year, but important factors like location, size of home and coverage type determine your exact premium. You can request a quote online from Allstate.

What does Allstate home insurance cover?

Allstate’s coverage varies depending on where you live, but expect a homeowners insurance policy with Allstate to cover damage due to:

• Windstorm or hail
  • Fire and smoke
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Water damage from appliances, heating and cooling systems, water heaters and plumbing

A traditional homeowners insurance plan won’t offer coverage for certain perils. However, you can purchase additional coverage from Allstate, such as:

• Flood insurance: Typical Allstate coverage takes care of water damage from an appliance or burst pipe, but not from flooding. If you’re concerned about damage from flooding, consider purchasing flood insurance. In some locations, this type of insurance is required.
  • Earthquake insurance: This insurance covers your home structure and belongings from earthquake damage.
  • Personal umbrella policy: Add this type of policy to cover legal fees and lost wages due to lawsuits from visitors who get injured on your property.

Allstate home insurance discounts

Allstate offers a wide variety of discounts that can substantially lower the price for home insurance premiums.

• Easy Pay Plan: Save 5% by setting up automatic payments.
  • No claims discount: A 20% discount awaits those who haven’t made any recent claims when they switch to Allstate.
  • Bundle discount: Save up to 25% by bundling homeowners insurance with another policy through Allstate, including auto or term life insurance.
  • Age 55 and retired discount: If you’re over 55 and not working, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Welcome discount and loyalty discount: Save up to 10% by switching from another company, and the discount remains in effect throughout your time with Allstate.
  • Early signing discount: Expect up to 10% off when getting a policy at least one week before your current policy expires.
  • Home alarm discount: Have a home alarm? Earn another discount.
  • Roof discount: Hail-resistant roofs may qualify homeowners for a discount.
  • Smoke-free discount: Nonsmokers end up paying less for their policies.
  • Storm shutter discount: Homes with storm shutters have cheaper policies with Allstate.
  • Recent construction or purchase: If your home is newly constructed or you just purchased it, you can get a discount.

Allstate homeowners insurance plans

When you request a quote from Allstate, it will give three quotes: for Basic coverage, Extended coverage and Premium coverage. These are broad terms that may or may not include some of the supplemental insurance add-ons listed below.

• Water backup: Covers a clogged drain or faulty sump pump
  • Green reimbursement: Covers energy-efficient upgrades in your home
  • Scheduled personal property: Covers valuables like antiques, collectibles and jewelry
  • Sports equipment: Covers sports equipment, including bicycles, golf clubs and skis
  • Yard and garden: Covers riding lawn mowers, ornamental plantings, landscaping and trees
  • Business property: Covers items used for a small business run from your home or equipment in a home office
  • Identity theft protection: Covers legal fees and lost wages if your identity is stolen
  • Electronic data recovery: Helps cover lost computer data like family photos or financial records
  • HostAdvantage: Covers damage if renters damage your home or steal your possessions as part of a home-sharing agreement, like with Airbnb

Allstate homeowners insurance FAQ

Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover pitbulls?
Allstate does sometimes give coverage to homes with pitbulls, but this varies by state and local regulations.
Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
No, homeowners insurance from Allstate will not cover foundation repair.
Does Allstate use credit scores for homeowners insurance?
No. In the past, Allstate used credit scores as a factor for homeowners insurance, but it has since ended this practice.
What is Allstate HostAdvantage?
Allstate HostAdvantage provides protection for those who share their home — for example, through Airbnb.

Is Allstate home insurance good?

Allstate homeowners insurance is worth it for those looking to protect their home. It’s easy to get a quote online by submitting your information. We like that you can purchase directly through Allstate’s website or work with a local agent who answers any questions. Prices might be slightly higher than at other homeowners insurance companies, but Allstate offers good coverage.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 7, 2020

I left my long-term insurance company for Allstate. Big mistake! They’re great at making sure you pay your bill however, when it comes to filing a homeowners claim it is a nightmare. They sent out a third-party adjuster because they don’t have adjusters in Washington state. They didn’t like what the third-party adjuster that they sent out had to say because he indicated my roof had wind damage in multiple areas. It took over a month while my roof was leaking for them to finally agree to cover my roof which had lifted shingles and shingles that have been blown off from wind storms. My contractor noticed that there were more OSB boards that had damage from the wind which would end up rotting away in time.

We sent multiple pictures of these additional boards with damage. Allstate wanted him to put a new roof over bad OSB boards. We then sent Allstate another invoice including these boards and they are refusing to pay. This to me is unacceptable! Why would you want to put a new roof on bad boards that are going to be rotting, causing mold, and other issues? Stay away from Allstate insurance, they’re only interested in finding ways around not to pay any type of claim.

Original review: March 31, 2020

House roof was leaking due to hail damage per certified roofer of over 35 years experience. Allstate denied claim on roof saying there was no hail damage and yet they paid us $1,000 for hail damage on the awnings. Then, they increased our rates. We cancelled their coverage on March 11. They deducted almost $1,000 premiums out of my checking account w/o me knowing it until later. They would have bounced my account if the funds were not there. They are refusing to refund us from the March 11th cancellation date to the paid up date of May 8th as they said it was a seasonal policy. The cancellation policy on the boat documents indicates there should be a refund. I’m calling the BBB.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2020

My parents had Allstate since the 1960's and of course I have had Allstate for the last 25 years for at least 1 Policy or another. Our home was built in 1997. First I reported it as a leaking hot water heater and was told it was a leaking roof.. We had a family member sick for about 7 months. We were in and out staying away from home days and weeks at a time. At a very busy, stressful time in our lives. Family member passed away and we returned to our normal lives. We noticed a few bulges in the floor in our bedroom and laundry room.

I called my insurance agent to file a claim and was asked, "Are you sure you want to do that." I said yes and she filed the claim after hesitating. I was then contacted by an claims adjuster with Allstate by the name of Andrew ** and they sent Paul Davis out from Russell Ky to clean up the water damage. Upon their (2 people) arrival, they took pictures of everything inside and out and all around my house, not sure what the outside of my house has to do with a water leak. They said that it was the roof leaking that caused all of the damage to the floor. They never got down and inspected the water heater.

Mind you that the hot water heater is located right below the vent pipe for the plumbing that went through the roof. The roof was leaking down on the sheet rock and had feel on top of the water heater. The water heater is located in a 2ft X 2ft section and was covered by sheet rock (in other words you could not see it unless you removed the sheet rock).

Paul Davis employees told me while they were there, "Allstate and Company B NEVER pay on these claims". I asked why would he say that and was told "that I was not the first one with this kind of damage that Allstate had denied." They left a Dehumidifier on site and told me to contact a contractor to fix the leaking roof. I went to Lowes that night and fixed the roof myself for about $20.00.

I was then contacted by the claims adjuster with Allstate by the name of Andrew ** and was told that Allstate was DENYING (That is right-- DENYING my claim just as Paul Davis told me what would happen) my claim based on the fact that they thought that this was an ongoing problem (OF course it was, it had a slow leak, ANYONE WITH A LITTLE COMMON SINCE WOULD KNOW THIS) that I failed to notice and report when it first happened. I Guess that I should have XRAY vision or some OTHER SUPER POWER to be able to know when the water heater started to leak (SLOWLY) in an enclosed area where it would have leaked for probably a month or longer before noticing it. By that time it had already done the damage.

So Paul Davis restorations calls and says that they are picking up their equipment and that Allstate will not pay any further for drying out the area. They come the next week and picks up their equipment. I go and buy my own dehumidifier to finish the job. I seal up the area with plastic and let the dehumidifier run. My wife calls me at work one day after going into that room and tells me that there is water on the floor. After close inspection--the water heater is leaking, what I first told Allstate.

I file another claim stating the original claim number. I get a call from Andrew again, state what I have typed above about the leak. I told him my feelings and that I wanted an actual Allstate adjuster and not another PAUL Davis Restoration to look at it. Was told that an Allstate adjuster would be onsite. They scheduled a guy (Third party contractor to come out and look at it). Went through the whole thing with this guy, a Michael **. So this guy writes basically the same report and pics and submits to Allstate.

I get a call today (3/9/2020) almost 2 weeks later, telling me that Allstate is DENYING my claim again due to the same reason (ONGOING PROBLEM). Stating again that I should have known about the leak sooner and reported it earlier. It is beyond me how you can see behind a enclosed area. And did I mention that I received a call from Paul Davis Restorations wanting to know when I was going to pay for their serves.. I don't think so. I told them that Allstate said they would be paying for that.

So I am out ALL of the Insurance Premiums that I have paid over the years and for what? ABSOLUTELY nothing, makes me wonder if Allstate would pay for any claim that you submit to them. I will be switching to a different Insurance company as soon as possible. I also forgot to mention that the day I filed the 2nd claim, my insurance agent's office called to tell me that my payment was past due, NOT, it was not due for another 3 days.

After questioning them and pointing out that my payment was not late, they realized I was right and Allstate was wrong. She then proceeded to tell me that her screen on my account was flagged saying "CANCEL S". She said that she had never seen that before and would check and call me back in 5 minutes. She did but could not give a reason. I paid my premium over the phone and wrote down the confirmation number for the payment. This was my first and last claim with Allstate. You are "DEFINITELY NOT IN GOOD HANDS WITH ALLSTATE". Can not wait to get RID of Allstate. I would suggest you NEVER-EVER consider Allstate for your insurance needs. They have proven to be dishonest.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Got talked into switching my insurance, said they could get it lower, 2 months later I find out only my husband is on it not me, and get this, it wasn't EVEN cheaper. I am infuriated at these people and the agent even told me there wasn't an office here in Hot Springs and yes there is, I cannot believe the audacity of this guy who said he misunderstood me... Right, we only talked about 15 times on the phone before I ended up letting myself be talked into switching... unbelievable.

Original review: March 7, 2020

Allstate Home Insurance is the worst, I had wind damage, which caused leaks to the cedar shake roof in 1 bedroom, attic and garage. They did not offer a tarp for further rain damage. Had a 3rd party come out to inspect. Did not take any pics of the damage that was in the claim. I asked for reinspection and that was ignored. I’ve been given the run around for a month saying I will get a different more seasoned adjuster to look at damage and it was the same one. They just found all excuses not to pay my claim for the repair. They knew a huge wind storm affected the area. They gave out an estimate to give to a roofing contractor so that I could pay out of pocket.

This has happened twice on another house. Had hail damage from storm and they denied claim. I don’t feel safe with this company. I feel like they might be the cheapest but that’s only because they don’t pay out on claims so it’s not like having any insurance. I haven’t had any claims on auto. I’m referring to home. I would not recommend Allstate, you are not in good hands.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: March 6, 2020

Our home is 16 years old two story. We are having problems with leaking from the ceiling in several spots. We decided that after having this problem before it would be best to just replace the defective shingles. We found out that there was a lawsuit on the product, they were defective, pebbles falling off, and the shingles were contracting (meaning they were drawing up) and they are now discontinued. They can't be matched. An adjuster came, named Chad ** and stated there were only two shingles missing. We had this problem once before and filed a claim, the second time we didn't file a claim and fixed it on our own because we didn't want to make repeated claims. Now we are making a claim for the same problem and Allstate act like it's nothing.

Our contractor wrote what was wrong and sent it in, now they are asking us to send in pictures. They have their adjuster photos (over 100 pictures) now wants us to get another contractor of our choice photos. We have been with them for over 30 years. We have gone through 4 people and now waiting to hear from a supervisor on Monday, March 9th. It went from Chad to Maurice to Parker and now Rachel, next will be the supervisor. Instead of making continuous claims for the same problem I would think that our years with the company, we would have no problem replacing the roof shingles.

We were told by the first adjuster, Chad that we need to get with the company that made the shingles. Not such a good remark to make. Mind you that they no longer make them and they are discontinued because they are defective shingles. Our subdivision consist of about 40 houses and other insurance companies are really doing their part. We are refusing to have a patched up roof because these shingles no longer exists. Other companies have been working with homeowners with no problem with replacing entire roof shingles.

We were shocked and angered at Allstate response to us. It's like we have to gather all information they ask for and so far have only offered us damages of $500 or so and we refused to accept it. This is a continous problem. The shingles needs to be removed and Allstate so far has done nothing to help in this matter. So far, we are unhappy with Allstate and wondering why we stayed this long. We will let you know the results.

Original review: March 5, 2020

My pipe broke and called to put in a claim on my homeowners. They sent Service Master to inspect not an Allstate inspector. Your guy looks at one board that was dry rotted and tells allstate the pipe broke years ago. Tells me no charge but I got a bill after he had me sign and then he sign and put an amount in. Allstate apologized after I complained. Said they would sent an allstate inspector out again. Sent another company. This guy said it was current. Allstate calls again, said it's now covered and were sending someone out to do cleanup. Today I get a call and said a manager looked at it and it's not cover. I been living with a hole in the floor with no bathroom for over a month. Call corporate and now they're sending someone again. I said I getting it fixed. Can't wait. Been with Allstate. First time you put a claim in and they deny it. Pull all my policy out of Allstate. You should too.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

A pipe burst in my home and caused a flood. I was treated like crap from the beginning. I was assigned two incompetent adjusters. One was an outside adjuster & one inside from the Midwest (Kevin ** & a guy name Pat). They hired a cleaning crew that did more damage to my home then it was. Long story short my claim was denied stating I didn’t have my heat high enough. AllState need to kill the commercial stating you’re in good hands because YOURE NOT!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

My roof was recently damaged by hail and wind. I filed a claim on Jan. 17, 2020. It took them until Jan. 28 to an adjuster come to my house. The inspector met with my contractor and reviewed the roof, both interior and exterior. Once the inspector was off the roof, she got the Allstate Adjuster, Chuck **, on the phone and began a 5 minute conversation flirting. Finally she put me on the phone with him. His 20 second response was he will call me back that evening with an estimate. The Inspector hung up the phone and told me, in front of my contractor I have a lot of hail damage. She then said she was off the rest of the day and would up load the pictures. At 5:00 PM Chuck called back to tell me he had not received anything from inspector and would call me the next day.

On Jan. 29 around 5:00 PM to tell me I did not have any hail damage so they would not be paying anything. I told him his inspector told me I had extensive hail damage. His response was to call me a liar. I hung up after that, infuriated. The next day I contacted my agent and we went over all pictures the inspector up loaded. All the pictures were so blurry you could hardly tell you were looking at a roof. My agent said he would request a review. On Friday Jan. 31 around 11 AM I received a phone call from Gerome ** who told me he was Chuck **'s supervisor. He told me he was agreeing with his adjuster even though the pictures were so bad. He insinuated I couldn't afford my deductible. So a second Allstate employee insulting a customer.

By the way I have been with Allstate for home car and motorcycle insurance for 13 years. I can guarantee you it will not be 14. I have contacted a professional adjustment firm to force Allstate to honor the policy. It is sad as a customer that never filed a claim to be treated in this manner. I would suggest you never consider Allstate for your insurance needs. They have proven to be dishonest.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Allstate Home Insurance is the worst, I had wind damage, hail damage leaking in 2 bedroom, attic and garage. They just found all excuses not paying my claim for the repair. With help of adjusters, we could not get the claim paid. They gave out small amount which was a joke. I been a customer for 17 years, with 5 autos insure by them, business and personal, I am changing all my autos, and home ins asap. I regret trusting them for almost 20 years, what a shame of company.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company Information