4.0/5 (691 ratings)

About Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Allstate is the second-largest homeowners insurance company in the U.S. When you request a quote, Allstate suggests three different levels of coverage to choose from. You can further customize a policy to fit your needs. Although Allstate’s prices can be higher than some other companies', it has multiple discounts available and a high financial strength rating.

Pros

• Several coverage options
  • High financial strength rating
  • Plentiful discounts

Cons

• Slightly high costs

Bottom Line

Allstate provides good homeowners insurance with several levels of coverage. The prices are a bit higher than average, but Allstate might still be a good choice for those looking to protect their home.

Top Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After a plumbing leak flooded the 1st floor of my home, Allstate covered all the repair costs and property damage. I've been with Allstate for almost 3 years and every time we fil...

Verified

We recently had severe wind damage done to our swimming pool. I thought for sure it would be a real hassle even inquiring about homeowner's coverage on it. Well let me tell you......

How does Allstate homeowners insurance work?

Allstate homeowners insurance covers your home from certain perils in exchange for a premium. In the event of damage from a covered peril, you’ll file a claim, pay a deductible and Allstate pays the rest. Additional insurance coverage is available for events not covered in the traditional homeowners insurance package.

Purchase Allstate homeowners insurance directly from Allstate or through independent agents. Allstate also has a mobile app to get a quote, assess what type and amount of insurance you need and update personal information. Allstate writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Allstate home insurance cost

In general, Allstate homeowners insurance costs are higher than those of other insurance companies. Expect a policy to cost anywhere from $1,250 to $1,650 a year, but important factors like location, size of home and coverage type determine your exact premium. You can request a quote online from Allstate.

What does Allstate home insurance cover?

Allstate’s coverage varies depending on where you live, but expect a homeowners insurance policy with Allstate to cover damage due to:

• Windstorm or hail
  • Fire and smoke
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Water damage from appliances, heating and cooling systems, water heaters and plumbing

A traditional homeowners insurance plan won’t offer coverage for certain perils. However, you can purchase additional coverage from Allstate, such as:

• Flood insurance: Typical Allstate coverage takes care of water damage from an appliance or burst pipe, but not from flooding. If you’re concerned about damage from flooding, consider purchasing flood insurance. In some locations, this type of insurance is required.
  • Earthquake insurance: This insurance covers your home structure and belongings from earthquake damage.
  • Personal umbrella policy: Add this type of policy to cover legal fees and lost wages due to lawsuits from visitors who get injured on your property.

Allstate home insurance discounts

Allstate offers a wide variety of discounts that can substantially lower the price for home insurance premiums.

• Easy Pay Plan: Save 5% by setting up automatic payments.
  • No claims discount: A 20% discount awaits those who haven’t made any recent claims when they switch to Allstate.
  • Bundle discount: Save up to 25% by bundling homeowners insurance with another policy through Allstate, including auto or term life insurance.
  • Age 55 and retired discount: If you’re over 55 and not working, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Welcome discount and loyalty discount: Save up to 10% by switching from another company, and the discount remains in effect throughout your time with Allstate.
  • Early signing discount: Expect up to 10% off when getting a policy at least one week before your current policy expires.
  • Home alarm discount: Have a home alarm? Earn another discount.
  • Roof discount: Hail-resistant roofs may qualify homeowners for a discount.
  • Smoke-free discount: Nonsmokers end up paying less for their policies.
  • Storm shutter discount: Homes with storm shutters have cheaper policies with Allstate.
  • Recent construction or purchase: If your home is newly constructed or you just purchased it, you can get a discount.

Allstate homeowners insurance plans

When you request a quote from Allstate, it will give three quotes: for Basic coverage, Extended coverage and Premium coverage. These are broad terms that may or may not include some of the supplemental insurance add-ons listed below.

• Water backup: Covers a clogged drain or faulty sump pump
  • Green reimbursement: Covers energy-efficient upgrades in your home
  • Scheduled personal property: Covers valuables like antiques, collectibles and jewelry
  • Sports equipment: Covers sports equipment, including bicycles, golf clubs and skis
  • Yard and garden: Covers riding lawn mowers, ornamental plantings, landscaping and trees
  • Business property: Covers items used for a small business run from your home or equipment in a home office
  • Identity theft protection: Covers legal fees and lost wages if your identity is stolen
  • Electronic data recovery: Helps cover lost computer data like family photos or financial records
  • HostAdvantage: Covers damage if renters damage your home or steal your possessions as part of a home-sharing agreement, like with Airbnb

Allstate homeowners insurance FAQ

Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover pitbulls?
Allstate does sometimes give coverage to homes with pitbulls, but this varies by state and local regulations.
Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
No, homeowners insurance from Allstate will not cover foundation repair.
Does Allstate use credit scores for homeowners insurance?
No. In the past, Allstate used credit scores as a factor for homeowners insurance, but it has since ended this practice.
What is Allstate HostAdvantage?
Allstate HostAdvantage provides protection for those who share their home — for example, through Airbnb.

Is Allstate home insurance good?

Allstate homeowners insurance is worth it for those looking to protect their home. It’s easy to get a quote online by submitting your information. We like that you can purchase directly through Allstate’s website or work with a local agent who answers any questions. Prices might be slightly higher than at other homeowners insurance companies, but Allstate offers good coverage.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: June 19, 2021

I have had Allstate for my Homeowners Insurance for years and stayed with them because they have always keep my premium at a reasonable cost with the best coverage. When I have needed to submit a claim Allstate agents were there and things were settled very fast and I was reimbursed for property lost or damaged in situations that had happened. Allstate is great and keeps up with the times, and they DO pay out claims fairly and promptly with no big hassle or paperwork to deal with. Allstate also gives many different discounts on your premiums if you qualify. You just need to check it out. I highly recommend Allstate for any Homeowner.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I am pleased with the Homeowners/Renters policy I have with Allstate. One of the things I like most about Allstate is my agent and his team. I appreciate the personalize services they offer to ensure I have the right amount of coverage for my personal effects and property. Another feature, I enjoy are the reward points I earn each month, which I can use to make purchases, donate to charity or to enter cool monthly sweepstakes for a chance to win exclusive prizes from top name merchants, like Apple or gift cards from Walmart worth $500. Further, I appreciate the helpful tips featured on Allstate’s website, plus the cool offers for goods and services offered from other vendors and sponsors affiliated with Allstate. Lastly, I value having a top-rated insurance policy with a A-one company, like Allstate that offers low monthly payment rates, which fits my lifestyle and budget.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I've been with Allstate Insurance for over 20 years and when I purchase my homes, I have them insured through Allstate. I just moved from Atlanta to Kansas City and upon buying my new home - I had to get quotes from other insurance companies, but upon seeing the value of my policy with Allstate, it was no comparison. Their prices are barely above any others price-wise and with having the multi-policy discount, I'm saving that amount anyhow. Most importantly is the actual coverage and when I've had claims, it's been an easy process. In fact, last time I had a roofing incident with trees, they came out immediately without an appointment and were checking everything out, taking photos, and asking if my Family was okay.

They also provide options for repairs and are flexible with vendors/contractors I may want to use. As long as they're insured and we can ensure they're part of their system - they can be utilized. I have had some frustration with customer service, but my agents and claim personnel are always efficient, timely and professional - which is all I ask.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Allstate has helped so much for my family & me. When our parents passed away and we decided to keep and move into their home, they went over the coverage that our parents had to see if any changes needed to be made. They were never pushy or forceful, they listened to our concerns, type of coverage we felt comfortable with and helped us update our coverage.

Original review: June 11, 2021

Allstate is a national company with the assets to cover major losses. I like the fact that they put so much emphasis on locally owned offices. Their rates are excellent when compared to other national companies, but it is important to check the coverage details so as to get an apples to apples rate comparison, Allstate is not terribly good in virtual communication. Their web site is not user friendly and tends to tilt toward helping the agency more than the consumer. They are responsive once you can connect with a live person to speak with. They handled claims quickly and without a lot of argument.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Would never recommend anyone to use Allstate. My experience has involved multiple phone calls, absurdly long wait times, and I have consistently been told one thing while the company representatives did another. Please tell your family and friends to go elsewhere.

Original review: March 11, 2022

I would give Allstate zero stars if I could. I have had Allstate Insurance since 2008. Home and Auto. Several years ago a storm damaged my roof and water leaked in and damaged the ceiling. Allstate Claims Adjuster stated there was nothing wrong with my roof. Had to pay out of pocket. In 2022 an ice storm that damaged my roof. I did some research and found out Allstate pays Hancock as a third party to do inspections to deny claims. Hancock has less than a 2 star rating with BBB. I requested an alternative to Hancock and was denied. Hancock stated there was no damage to my roof and my claim was denied. I would advise you to find a better insurance company if there is such a thing. You are NOT in good hands with Allstate.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

My wife and I decide a change of scenery and moving to great state of Washington. We buy a nice house with 8 acres outside of Arlington in late July. The house was built and lived in by a nice couple for the last 20 years, the house is fully ready to move in, turn key. Fast forward 4 months, my company is releasing a new product and it's all hands on deck so we have not moved in yet. We have gone down to the house twice and our cousin is checking up on the property but in the week before Thanksgiving, thieves hit our place. They were likely construction savvy, because they cut out and stole materials like our furnace, water heater, kitchen cabinets and sinks, doors, garage doors, leaving our place gutted. The electrical, plumbing, water tanks, furnace were all cut and needed professionals to reconnect it, they didn't just disconnect these services, they cut it.

We make a claim and I begged the advisor to make this an emergency because our place is now open to the weather. They assured me that they would send assessor and advisor would call me asap and discuss emergency remediation like boarding up the doors and allowance for me to stay in hotel and address these issues locally (I am in a different state). 7 days after opening a claim, advisor leaves 1 vm identifying adjuster, multiple calls and VMs later, 16 days later the adjuster informs me he is no longer the adjuster for the case and the new adjuster would call me asap.

20 days later after even more calls, Nicole ** - my new adjuster calls and tells me in her 10+ years of realtor experience, there is no malicious intent and no theft has occurred and that it looks like it was professionally demo'd. She follows up with they won't be paying for anything and a day later tells me to prepare for EUO (examination under oath) stating they want some clarification on what happened, that it was theft and not someone I hired. We actually hired a company to install cameras and board up the property, actually filming the thieves stealing more stuff..

They delayed all their responses, rarely called back to return my phone calls and/or had lot of days off and passed our claim back and forth different people for weeks. They promised to take care of us in this situation and really in the end - total of 78 days later, stuck us in front of lawyers and then promptly dismissed our claim, stating we didn't occupy the property 30 days prior to the loss. Which I stated to their agent, when we bought the property, 2 months into ownership, and when we started the claim. How many Washington people leave their properties unoccupied for more than 30 days, I hope you don't have Allstate insurance.

BTW our lawyer says this is 100% within their rights to treat a homeowner this way, leave you paying the mortgage for months so you're broke while they delay/stall tactics, hire lawyers and stick it to you. Check out Allstate's reviews, they might look alright on paper, but they have the worst reputation once a customer goes through a claim with this company.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

We had issues with Allstate not paying to have my son's car fixed after a car accident and terminated that policy but we kept the homeowners policy on the rental units only. Terminated the resistance insurance when we terminated the auto insurance. Now to my point We had a storm and blew away but 100 shingles from the roof. Now they don't want to pay to have that repaired properly. They want to replace the shingles with a different colors which I'm not agreeing to. Most likely I'll end up getting a lawyer to go after them.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

All-State canceled our policy without our knowledge. They added over $700 to our policy without advising us. They didn't let us know our proof of prior insurance wasn't accepted. They are sneaky and dishonest.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company Information