Get a Quote

2. Homeowners
  3. Homeowners Insurance

3.3/5 (54 ratings)

About Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Allstate is the second-largest homeowners insurance company in the U.S. When you request a quote, Allstate suggests three different levels of coverage to choose from. You can further customize a policy to fit your needs. Although Allstate’s prices can be higher than some other companies', it has multiple discounts available and a high financial strength rating.

Pros

• Several coverage options
  • High financial strength rating
  • Plentiful discounts

Cons

• Slightly high costs

Bottom Line

Allstate provides good homeowners insurance with several levels of coverage. The prices are a bit higher than average, but Allstate might still be a good choice for those looking to protect their home.

Top Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After a plumbing leak flooded the 1st floor of my home, Allstate covered all the repair costs and property damage. I've been with Allstate for almost 3 years and every time we fil...

Verified

We recently had severe wind damage done to our swimming pool. I thought for sure it would be a real hassle even inquiring about homeowner's coverage on it. Well let me tell you......

How does Allstate homeowners insurance work?

Allstate homeowners insurance covers your home from certain perils in exchange for a premium. In the event of damage from a covered peril, you’ll file a claim, pay a deductible and Allstate pays the rest. Additional insurance coverage is available for events not covered in the traditional homeowners insurance package.

Purchase Allstate homeowners insurance directly from Allstate or through independent agents. Allstate also has a mobile app to get a quote, assess what type and amount of insurance you need and update personal information. Allstate writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Allstate home insurance cost

In general, Allstate homeowners insurance costs are higher than those of other insurance companies. Expect a policy to cost anywhere from $1,250 to $1,650 a year, but important factors like location, size of home and coverage type determine your exact premium. You can request a quote online from Allstate.

What does Allstate home insurance cover?

Allstate’s coverage varies depending on where you live, but expect a homeowners insurance policy with Allstate to cover damage due to:

• Windstorm or hail
  • Fire and smoke
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Water damage from appliances, heating and cooling systems, water heaters and plumbing

A traditional homeowners insurance plan won’t offer coverage for certain perils. However, you can purchase additional coverage from Allstate, such as:

• Flood insurance: Typical Allstate coverage takes care of water damage from an appliance or burst pipe, but not from flooding. If you’re concerned about damage from flooding, consider purchasing flood insurance. In some locations, this type of insurance is required.
  • Earthquake insurance: This insurance covers your home structure and belongings from earthquake damage.
  • Personal umbrella policy: Add this type of policy to cover legal fees and lost wages due to lawsuits from visitors who get injured on your property.

Allstate home insurance discounts

Allstate offers a wide variety of discounts that can substantially lower the price for home insurance premiums.

• Easy Pay Plan: Save 5% by setting up automatic payments.
  • No claims discount: A 20% discount awaits those who haven’t made any recent claims when they switch to Allstate.
  • Bundle discount: Save up to 25% by bundling homeowners insurance with another policy through Allstate, including auto or term life insurance.
  • Age 55 and retired discount: If you’re over 55 and not working, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Welcome discount and loyalty discount: Save up to 10% by switching from another company, and the discount remains in effect throughout your time with Allstate.
  • Early signing discount: Expect up to 10% off when getting a policy at least one week before your current policy expires.
  • Home alarm discount: Have a home alarm? Earn another discount.
  • Roof discount: Hail-resistant roofs may qualify homeowners for a discount.
  • Smoke-free discount: Nonsmokers end up paying less for their policies.
  • Storm shutter discount: Homes with storm shutters have cheaper policies with Allstate.
  • Recent construction or purchase: If your home is newly constructed or you just purchased it, you can get a discount.

Allstate homeowners insurance plans

When you request a quote from Allstate, it will give three quotes: for Basic coverage, Extended coverage and Premium coverage. These are broad terms that may or may not include some of the supplemental insurance add-ons listed below.

• Water backup: Covers a clogged drain or faulty sump pump
  • Green reimbursement: Covers energy-efficient upgrades in your home
  • Scheduled personal property: Covers valuables like antiques, collectibles and jewelry
  • Sports equipment: Covers sports equipment, including bicycles, golf clubs and skis
  • Yard and garden: Covers riding lawn mowers, ornamental plantings, landscaping and trees
  • Business property: Covers items used for a small business run from your home or equipment in a home office
  • Identity theft protection: Covers legal fees and lost wages if your identity is stolen
  • Electronic data recovery: Helps cover lost computer data like family photos or financial records
  • HostAdvantage: Covers damage if renters damage your home or steal your possessions as part of a home-sharing agreement, like with Airbnb

Allstate homeowners insurance FAQ

Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover pitbulls?
Allstate does sometimes give coverage to homes with pitbulls, but this varies by state and local regulations.
Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
No, homeowners insurance from Allstate will not cover foundation repair.
Does Allstate use credit scores for homeowners insurance?
No. In the past, Allstate used credit scores as a factor for homeowners insurance, but it has since ended this practice.
What is Allstate HostAdvantage?
Allstate HostAdvantage provides protection for those who share their home — for example, through Airbnb.

Is Allstate home insurance good?

Allstate homeowners insurance is worth it for those looking to protect their home. It’s easy to get a quote online by submitting your information. We like that you can purchase directly through Allstate’s website or work with a local agent who answers any questions. Prices might be slightly higher than at other homeowners insurance companies, but Allstate offers good coverage.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: June 19, 2021

I have had Allstate for my Homeowners Insurance for years and stayed with them because they have always keep my premium at a reasonable cost with the best coverage. When I have needed to submit a claim Allstate agents were there and things were settled very fast and I was reimbursed for property lost or damaged in situations that had happened. Allstate is great and keeps up with the times, and they DO pay out claims fairly and promptly with no big hassle or paperwork to deal with. Allstate also gives many different discounts on your premiums if you qualify. You just need to check it out. I highly recommend Allstate for any Homeowner.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I am pleased with the Homeowners/Renters policy I have with Allstate. One of the things I like most about Allstate is my agent and his team. I appreciate the personalize services they offer to ensure I have the right amount of coverage for my personal effects and property. Another feature, I enjoy are the reward points I earn each month, which I can use to make purchases, donate to charity or to enter cool monthly sweepstakes for a chance to win exclusive prizes from top name merchants, like Apple or gift cards from Walmart worth $500. Further, I appreciate the helpful tips featured on Allstate’s website, plus the cool offers for goods and services offered from other vendors and sponsors affiliated with Allstate. Lastly, I value having a top-rated insurance policy with a A-one company, like Allstate that offers low monthly payment rates, which fits my lifestyle and budget.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I've been with Allstate Insurance for over 20 years and when I purchase my homes, I have them insured through Allstate. I just moved from Atlanta to Kansas City and upon buying my new home - I had to get quotes from other insurance companies, but upon seeing the value of my policy with Allstate, it was no comparison. Their prices are barely above any others price-wise and with having the multi-policy discount, I'm saving that amount anyhow. Most importantly is the actual coverage and when I've had claims, it's been an easy process. In fact, last time I had a roofing incident with trees, they came out immediately without an appointment and were checking everything out, taking photos, and asking if my Family was okay.

They also provide options for repairs and are flexible with vendors/contractors I may want to use. As long as they're insured and we can ensure they're part of their system - they can be utilized. I have had some frustration with customer service, but my agents and claim personnel are always efficient, timely and professional - which is all I ask.

Original review: June 11, 2021

Allstate is a national company with the assets to cover major losses. I like the fact that they put so much emphasis on locally owned offices. Their rates are excellent when compared to other national companies, but it is important to check the coverage details so as to get an apples to apples rate comparison, Allstate is not terribly good in virtual communication. Their web site is not user friendly and tends to tilt toward helping the agency more than the consumer. They are responsive once you can connect with a live person to speak with. They handled claims quickly and without a lot of argument.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I was looking for a home insurance and from all of the options that I considered AllState was the one with the best rate for my budget. I developed great relationship with my agent and he is always available to answer any questions that I might have. Few months ago there was a storm that affects my home. The roof was very damaged and the water infiltrated thru it. The ceiling boards dropped and water was coming inside the garage. I called Allstate. That was on a Friday, by Sunday I had the inspector doing the assessment. Everything was very quick and I knew from there how to proceed.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I think Allstate has some illegal practices. We had a tornado hit our property, FEMA was brought in and paid the insurance companies for the people's claims. Allstate made us pay a double deductible claiming they had to break the damage into two parts, wind then lightning. Two very large trees were twisted, split wide open all the way to the ground and hanging over the house. Shingles were ripped off the roof and siding, soffit, etc. were torn from the house and the garage. Allstate paid a fraction, ($500), of what it cost to remove the trees and repair all of the damage. I attempted to contact Allstate but they didn't wish to hear anything we had to say. The woman kept calling me "sweetie", very disrespectful.

Their damage assessor called before he came, I told him NOT to come to the house unless I was home, he chose to come while I was at work and my wife was home alone. We made many attempts to contact him on what he claimed was his cell phone but he never answered and refused to return our calls no matter how many voicemails we left. It took Allstate months to pay the little bit they paid, I kept leaving Allstate voicemails explaining the damaged trees are hanging dangerously over the house and were about to come crashing through the roof, they would have taken out the back half of the house. The only reply I received was, "then we will pay for that damage" even if there is a loss of life. It seems Allstate may have taken the FEMA monies and only disbursed a fraction of what they received to the homeowners.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

My Dishwasher leaked underneath causing a water damage to my Floors. Allstate denied the claim. They have stopped responding and completely shut me off. I was paying $2200 per year and was thinking I had the best insurance But surprisingly this company has grown so big and has so many clauses that you will get stuck. Be super careful and go somewhere else.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Hope we never have to put a claim in. Tho, we pay the extra fee to have total replacement. I can see if something happens, it would be very costly to replace today your home. Due to price of lumber and will we see rate hike coming? This would apply to all insurance companies.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I was previously insured with another major insurance for over 15 years. When I wanted to purchase homeowners insurance I was quite disappointed that as a loyal customer they would not offer me a better rate than AllState. I was impressed and thankful that the AllState agent worked hard to offer me a good discount and bundling my package.

Original review: June 17, 2021

Easy to pay through automatic deduction. I never had a claim, but it's a solid company. My rep is super friendly, and she gets me answers very quickly. I have been with them for many years. Their rates are very competitive.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company Information