Get a Quote

3.9/5 (430 ratings)

About Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Allstate is the second-largest homeowners insurance company in the U.S. When you request a quote, Allstate suggests three different levels of coverage to choose from. You can further customize a policy to fit your needs. Although Allstate’s prices can be higher than some other companies', it has multiple discounts available and a high financial strength rating.

Pros

• Several coverage options
  • High financial strength rating
  • Plentiful discounts

Cons

• Slightly high costs

Bottom Line

Allstate provides good homeowners insurance with several levels of coverage. The prices are a bit higher than average, but Allstate might still be a good choice for those looking to protect their home.

Top Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Verified

After a plumbing leak flooded the 1st floor of my home, Allstate covered all the repair costs and property damage. I've been with Allstate for almost 3 years and every time we fil...

Verified

We recently had severe wind damage done to our swimming pool. I thought for sure it would be a real hassle even inquiring about homeowner's coverage on it. Well let me tell you......

How does Allstate homeowners insurance work?

Allstate homeowners insurance covers your home from certain perils in exchange for a premium. In the event of damage from a covered peril, you’ll file a claim, pay a deductible and Allstate pays the rest. Additional insurance coverage is available for events not covered in the traditional homeowners insurance package.

Purchase Allstate homeowners insurance directly from Allstate or through independent agents. Allstate also has a mobile app to get a quote, assess what type and amount of insurance you need and update personal information. Allstate writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Allstate home insurance cost

In general, Allstate homeowners insurance costs are higher than those of other insurance companies. Expect a policy to cost anywhere from $1,250 to $1,650 a year, but important factors like location, size of home and coverage type determine your exact premium. You can request a quote online from Allstate.

What does Allstate home insurance cover?

Allstate’s coverage varies depending on where you live, but expect a homeowners insurance policy with Allstate to cover damage due to:

• Windstorm or hail
  • Fire and smoke
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Water damage from appliances, heating and cooling systems, water heaters and plumbing

A traditional homeowners insurance plan won’t offer coverage for certain perils. However, you can purchase additional coverage from Allstate, such as:

• Flood insurance: Typical Allstate coverage takes care of water damage from an appliance or burst pipe, but not from flooding. If you’re concerned about damage from flooding, consider purchasing flood insurance. In some locations, this type of insurance is required.
  • Earthquake insurance: This insurance covers your home structure and belongings from earthquake damage.
  • Personal umbrella policy: Add this type of policy to cover legal fees and lost wages due to lawsuits from visitors who get injured on your property.

Allstate home insurance discounts

Allstate offers a wide variety of discounts that can substantially lower the price for home insurance premiums.

• Easy Pay Plan: Save 5% by setting up automatic payments.
  • No claims discount: A 20% discount awaits those who haven’t made any recent claims when they switch to Allstate.
  • Bundle discount: Save up to 25% by bundling homeowners insurance with another policy through Allstate, including auto or term life insurance.
  • Age 55 and retired discount: If you’re over 55 and not working, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Welcome discount and loyalty discount: Save up to 10% by switching from another company, and the discount remains in effect throughout your time with Allstate.
  • Early signing discount: Expect up to 10% off when getting a policy at least one week before your current policy expires.
  • Home alarm discount: Have a home alarm? Earn another discount.
  • Roof discount: Hail-resistant roofs may qualify homeowners for a discount.
  • Smoke-free discount: Nonsmokers end up paying less for their policies.
  • Storm shutter discount: Homes with storm shutters have cheaper policies with Allstate.
  • Recent construction or purchase: If your home is newly constructed or you just purchased it, you can get a discount.

Allstate homeowners insurance plans

When you request a quote from Allstate, it will give three quotes: for Basic coverage, Extended coverage and Premium coverage. These are broad terms that may or may not include some of the supplemental insurance add-ons listed below.

• Water backup: Covers a clogged drain or faulty sump pump
  • Green reimbursement: Covers energy-efficient upgrades in your home
  • Scheduled personal property: Covers valuables like antiques, collectibles and jewelry
  • Sports equipment: Covers sports equipment, including bicycles, golf clubs and skis
  • Yard and garden: Covers riding lawn mowers, ornamental plantings, landscaping and trees
  • Business property: Covers items used for a small business run from your home or equipment in a home office
  • Identity theft protection: Covers legal fees and lost wages if your identity is stolen
  • Electronic data recovery: Helps cover lost computer data like family photos or financial records
  • HostAdvantage: Covers damage if renters damage your home or steal your possessions as part of a home-sharing agreement, like with Airbnb

Allstate homeowners insurance FAQ

Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover pitbulls?
Allstate does sometimes give coverage to homes with pitbulls, but this varies by state and local regulations.
Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
No, homeowners insurance from Allstate will not cover foundation repair.
Does Allstate use credit scores for homeowners insurance?
No. In the past, Allstate used credit scores as a factor for homeowners insurance, but it has since ended this practice.
What is Allstate HostAdvantage?
Allstate HostAdvantage provides protection for those who share their home — for example, through Airbnb.

Is Allstate home insurance good?

Allstate homeowners insurance is worth it for those looking to protect their home. It’s easy to get a quote online by submitting your information. We like that you can purchase directly through Allstate’s website or work with a local agent who answers any questions. Prices might be slightly higher than at other homeowners insurance companies, but Allstate offers good coverage.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I was looking for a home insurance and from all of the options that I considered AllState was the one with the best rate for my budget. I developed great relationship with my agent and he is always available to answer any questions that I might have. Few months ago there was a storm that affects my home. The roof was very damaged and the water infiltrated thru it. The ceiling boards dropped and water was coming inside the garage. I called Allstate. That was on a Friday, by Sunday I had the inspector doing the assessment. Everything was very quick and I knew from there how to proceed.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I had Allstate and they were very good in price then the next year they raise the price $200 extra for no reason, called them to ask them why, they said everything is raised and we have to raise our premium, I shop around and found Travelers much cheaper.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

Allstate gives me enough information. I don't need to be calling them, I have been very happy since I went with them. Best prices in comparison with other insurance companies. Many companies have call me trying to change but I would rather stick one that I feel comfortable with.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Insurance is as much about the agent. Our Allstate agent is great. Helpful, easy to reach, friendly. We have been lucky and only had to use our home insurance once. There were no problems and the damage was quickly taken care of. I would recommend Allstate based on our experience.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Allstate is one of the best homeowners insurance you'll find on the market. Standard home insurance policies from Allstate include coverage for a dwelling and attached fixtures such as a garage. Standard policies also provide protection against damage from fire, smoke, theft, vandalism and weather including hail, wind and lightning.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I am speechless as to how outdated Allstate's inside adjusters operate. I have been dealing with one of their adjusters, a nice lady named Kristen (I think in Tennessee office, see below). Kristen ** Allstate Vehicle and Property Insurance Company. Phone: (800) 326-0950 x**. Fax: (877) 292-9527. claims@claims.allstate.com.

I keep trying to communicate via their app and ask her to use their IT platform for communications and scheduling calls etc but she keeps calling unscheduled leaves a long boring message then I call back get her voicemail and on and on. This is so frustrating and so outdated, I know she is just an employees. It's not her fault but her manager's and manager's manager all the way to the top dog who is apparently unaware how outdated some of Allstate's offices operate and are not using the IT infrastructure that they spend so much money on. Scheduling calls communicating via app utilizing IT tools etc. is a no-brainer in these days but apparently not for Allstate or at least this office in Tennessee.

I'm not going to discuss their inefficient claim management adjuster visits reviewing estimates etc etc. ALL CAN BE IMPROVED using IT tools. EXISTING TOOLS they already paid for it and have in their system. Somebody should hold the managers accountable, ALLSTATE MANAGERS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. Customers are suffering!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I switched my homeowners ins to Allstate in Jan 2020 because of the rate 1330.00 annually. This year it jumped over $650 to over $1950 annually. I almost feel like it was a bait and switch kind of deal. That is well over a 50% annual premium increase. BEWARE....

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Allstate is the worst homeowners insurer. Hail damaged 25% of the homes in our neighborhood, and only Allstate won't fix it. A roofer, who replaced three others on my street, documented hail damage at 22K. Allstate says 7K. Rude adjuster— bad service. Allstate is a black hole.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

We were purchasing a new home and decided to go with Allstate, Big Mistake. They tried doing exterior inspection while previous homeowners were still living there. I paid for years worth of insurance when closing on our home end of November. Come to find out in January they cancelled our policy in December. Did not call, text, email or paper mail any notices. When I finally called to find out why, no one had an answer. For 3 days I had to call them, wait on hold for a min of 30min, BACK after they told me they would look into it and reach back out. NEVER did I get any callback from anyone at Allstate. They say they mailed a refund check to the house we hadn't moved into yet. Never did get an answer to why we were cancelled.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Updated on 04/04/2021: Update: Sunil Jain cancelled all of my insurance policies on the very last day of my home owners coverage, stating that he did not need to do business with the likes of me. To be clear, I've had a good relationship with Allstate for over 30 years. The people I dealt with for the claim on my deck were what I had become accustomed to with Allstate. They were professional, courteous and competent. Exactly the opposite of what I encountered with the Sunil Jain agency. This has been my worst insurance experience ever. What an embarrassment for Allstate and insurance in general. These are not the kind of people you would want to depend on when you need competency and honesty in an emergency.

Original Review: Sunil Jain Allstate, 15650 Redmond Way, Redmond WA 98052. My father was diagnosed with cancer last fall so I had to leave town on short notice. During the COVID crisis, we were not able to get the treatments and surgery until October of this year. I am back at home, but while I was away, they inspected my property and determined that they would cancel my insurance because there were weeds in my yard and needles on my roof. I was told that there is less than 5 years of life left in my roof.

It is apparent that the inspector did not actually inspect the roof as it is less than 5 years old. I've supplied documents showing that the roof is brand new. This was not sufficient. A recent wind storm broke the top off of a tree nearby. It took out my deck. I filed a claim with Allstate. The inspector came today and looked at the deck and my roof. He told me the roof has 40-60 years of life left in it. His report will be filed with Allstate as well. They have records showing my roof is in good shape, but they still want to cancel me.

This is a predatory insurance practice, and I could wind up being homeless over this irresponsible and predatory behavior. I've provided documents showing it is a new roof with a lifetime warranty, that the old roof was removed, 86 sheets of roof decking, a weather sealing system were installed and lifetime shingles installed on 9/13/2016. The second inspector they sent for my deck claim said the roof was in good shape, and he mentioned that he had been hearing about this happening to others. This sort of predatory behavior is particularly odious during the Corona Crisis. Practices like this that put people out of their homes.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company Information