3.9/5 (1635 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

About Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Allstate is the second-largest homeowners insurance company in the U.S. When you request a quote, Allstate suggests three different levels of coverage to choose from. You can further customize a policy to fit your needs. Although Allstate’s prices can be higher than some other companies', it has multiple discounts available and a high financial strength rating.

Pros

• Several coverage options
  • High financial strength rating
  • Plentiful discounts

Cons

• Slightly high costs

Bottom Line

Allstate provides good homeowners insurance with several levels of coverage. The prices are a bit higher than average, but Allstate might still be a good choice for those looking to protect their home.

Top Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After a plumbing leak flooded the 1st floor of my home, Allstate covered all the repair costs and property damage. I've been with Allstate for almost 3 years and every time we fil...

Verified

We recently had severe wind damage done to our swimming pool. I thought for sure it would be a real hassle even inquiring about homeowner's coverage on it. Well let me tell you......

How does Allstate homeowners insurance work?

Allstate homeowners insurance covers your home from certain perils in exchange for a premium. In the event of damage from a covered peril, you’ll file a claim, pay a deductible and Allstate pays the rest. Additional insurance coverage is available for events not covered in the traditional homeowners insurance package.

Purchase Allstate homeowners insurance directly from Allstate or through independent agents. Allstate also has a mobile app to get a quote, assess what type and amount of insurance you need and update personal information. Allstate writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Allstate home insurance cost

In general, Allstate homeowners insurance costs are higher than those of other insurance companies. Expect a policy to cost anywhere from $1,250 to $1,650 a year, but important factors like location, size of home and coverage type determine your exact premium. You can request a quote online from Allstate.

What does Allstate home insurance cover?

Allstate’s coverage varies depending on where you live, but expect a homeowners insurance policy with Allstate to cover damage due to:

• Windstorm or hail
  • Fire and smoke
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Water damage from appliances, heating and cooling systems, water heaters and plumbing

A traditional homeowners insurance plan won’t offer coverage for certain perils. However, you can purchase additional coverage from Allstate, such as:

• Flood insurance: Typical Allstate coverage takes care of water damage from an appliance or burst pipe, but not from flooding. If you’re concerned about damage from flooding, consider purchasing flood insurance. In some locations, this type of insurance is required.
  • Earthquake insurance: This insurance covers your home structure and belongings from earthquake damage.
  • Personal umbrella policy: Add this type of policy to cover legal fees and lost wages due to lawsuits from visitors who get injured on your property.

Allstate home insurance discounts

Allstate offers a wide variety of discounts that can substantially lower the price for home insurance premiums.

• Easy Pay Plan: Save 5% by setting up automatic payments.
  • No claims discount: A 20% discount awaits those who haven’t made any recent claims when they switch to Allstate.
  • Bundle discount: Save up to 25% by bundling homeowners insurance with another policy through Allstate, including auto or term life insurance.
  • Age 55 and retired discount: If you’re over 55 and not working, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Welcome discount and loyalty discount: Save up to 10% by switching from another company, and the discount remains in effect throughout your time with Allstate.
  • Early signing discount: Expect up to 10% off when getting a policy at least one week before your current policy expires.
  • Home alarm discount: Have a home alarm? Earn another discount.
  • Roof discount: Hail-resistant roofs may qualify homeowners for a discount.
  • Smoke-free discount: Nonsmokers end up paying less for their policies.
  • Storm shutter discount: Homes with storm shutters have cheaper policies with Allstate.
  • Recent construction or purchase: If your home is newly constructed or you just purchased it, you can get a discount.

Allstate homeowners insurance plans

When you request a quote from Allstate, it will give three quotes: for Basic coverage, Extended coverage and Premium coverage. These are broad terms that may or may not include some of the supplemental insurance add-ons listed below.

• Water backup: Covers a clogged drain or faulty sump pump
  • Green reimbursement: Covers energy-efficient upgrades in your home
  • Scheduled personal property: Covers valuables like antiques, collectibles and jewelry
  • Sports equipment: Covers sports equipment, including bicycles, golf clubs and skis
  • Yard and garden: Covers riding lawn mowers, ornamental plantings, landscaping and trees
  • Business property: Covers items used for a small business run from your home or equipment in a home office
  • Identity theft protection: Covers legal fees and lost wages if your identity is stolen
  • Electronic data recovery: Helps cover lost computer data like family photos or financial records
  • HostAdvantage: Covers damage if renters damage your home or steal your possessions as part of a home-sharing agreement, like with Airbnb

Allstate homeowners insurance FAQ

Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover pitbulls?
Allstate does sometimes give coverage to homes with pitbulls, but this varies by state and local regulations.
Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
No, homeowners insurance from Allstate will not cover foundation repair.
Does Allstate use credit scores for homeowners insurance?
No. In the past, Allstate used credit scores as a factor for homeowners insurance, but it has since ended this practice.
What is Allstate HostAdvantage?
Allstate HostAdvantage provides protection for those who share their home — for example, through Airbnb.

Is Allstate home insurance good?

Allstate homeowners insurance is worth it for those looking to protect their home. It’s easy to get a quote online by submitting your information. We like that you can purchase directly through Allstate’s website or work with a local agent who answers any questions. Prices might be slightly higher than at other homeowners insurance companies, but Allstate offers good coverage.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I as consumer have not had a very good experience with Allstate. I was with Statefarm for about 5 years I switched due to my rates going up every year. So far Allstate has shown very bad Customer service. My whole policy was done wrong they had denied my claim for repairs due to them wanting me to keep spending thousands of dollars for me to repair over and over my roof. I don't know what I need to do so I can get some help.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I have had a very negative experience dealing with Allstate from their customer service, communication, and the fact that they denied a claim based off a standard that was impossible for me to satisfy. They literally had me send them a weather report to prove that there was a natural disaster. They never sent an inspector yet denied my claim based off an employee's conjecture about the state of the building that I live in. I'm not sure how some random guy was able to tell me about the state of caulking around my window and the building façade over the phone without making any effort to visit or inspect. Their employees are clearly trained to find any made-up loophole and make broad assumptions about the cause of damage without actually doing any work to make an inspection. Very disappointing experience, they essentially cover NOTHING because they will make assumptions that make it possible for them to deny your claim.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

My home burned down the last day in July. Leaving my family of 7 displaced. My insurance is trying to withhold the money in my policy to replace possessions. They offered an insulting amount and if I want what’s in my policy I basically have to earn it. So on top of the stress of losing my home and most of our things. I now have to find time to sit at a computer and itemize everything we owned. Which is difficult when both of us work full time and have 3 littles to care for and my elderly mother also lives with us. Long answer but it is my life right now. By the way my insurance is Allstate and it isn’t my local branch handling it. It is 3rd party assessor they hire.

Shame on them for making an already devastating and stressful time more stressful. Not to mention if you don’t have a computer due to the fire you're out of luck. You can’t use your phone to do the itemization because the spread sheet requires you to use a computer and Microsoft Office. Which I don’t have at the moment. They count on people being too overwhelmed to fight for what their policy says they have. I could go on and on. Took them 5 weeks to tell me they were giving me the insulting amount. I was not not to touch anything so what could have been salvaged was ruined sitting in the open house in soot and water molding conditions. Not to mentions all the animals that made themselves at home. Then the assessor that came took things out and left them in the elements that could’ve been possibly salvaged. Altogether very bad experience. A nightmare on top of a nightmare.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Let me start by saying Allstate is popular but not necessarily good. I filed a claim about hail storm damage to my roof last year. Allstate denied my claim. Allstate claims that the damage was not hail stone damage. And so I left it at that. This year 2022 I put my house in the market and the buyer’s inspection agent also reported hailstone damage to the roof. I refiled my claim again and Allstate once again denied my claim. I uploaded pictures of the hail damage as approve of hail damage and Allstate still denied my claim. They give me no justifiable reason to deny my claim because there was none. This denial was based on greed on the part of Allstate.

My advice for all those thinking about purchasing a home or auto insurance with Allstate is just stay clear away. For me to be able to sell my house, I had to cut my price by $15,000. What is the point of having insurance coverage when you can’t use it when is needed?? In Allstate commercial they say “Allstate you are in safe hands” but I say Allstate you are in dangerous hands.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I have been insured with Allstate since 1994, this will be my first claim. Due to a major wind and Hail storm. I have quite a bit of damage, roof, siding, broken windows, damage to gutters, spouting, etc... The amount they want to settle for doesn't even cover the cost of the roof, which they told me would be completely covered. They do not want to replace all of my siding, they want to "blend" and "Patch". It takes several days to get a return phone call. I do have a really good contractor helping me. Allstate is ignoring Ohio codes that apply to my situation, which I believe is not legal.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I had hail damage to one side of my house. The color of my siding is discontinued and there is no reasonable match. They have repeatedly refused to side the whole house. I have filed a complaint with the department of insurance in Ohio.

Original review: July 24, 2022

Recently, July 2022, I had a pipe burst (spigot). I turned the water on to water the grass and the pipe burst. I found out Allstate do not, repeat, do not cover this mishaps. Allstate will only cover pipes seasonally. What that means is if your pipe freeze & burst during the winter, they might, perhaps, possibly cover the all the damages. By the way, when claims are submitted, they will low ball you and advise you to go with another company for less. Make one of the biggest decisions of your life. Select another company. If my review don't sway you, read all the unethical things Allstate has been guilty of (even the CEO admitted wrongdoing).

Original review: June 28, 2022

My roof was damaged and caused water to leak in my bedroom. I began a claim on December 1, 2021. Allstate initially would only pay for like 6 shingles. After months and months of my contractor sending in the details, Allstate denying it and saying they need to send their contractor in which led to their contractor stating it was unrepairable. Allstate then said we have to submit a video. My contractor submitted a video and they said it was too long and wouldn't accept it. Then he submitted a shorter one but they couldn't find it. Again, he submitted it and they said they couldn't find it again.

Finally, I had to email over and over and they finally received it. It was now that 60% of my roof is damaged but because they don't cover "wear and tear" they will only fix 60%. This means that the new shingles will be completely black and the rest of my roof since it is over 16 years is completely faded and grey - it will remain with the old shingles so I will have two different colors throughout my roof. I wanted to possibly sell my house which this is going to be a huge detractor to anyone wanting to buy it. Allstate tried to use every tactic in the world to deny my claim and also handled this so poorly with everything they did.

Original review: June 25, 2022

UPDATED 09/05/2022: On April 26, 2022, we had a hail storm at night that damaged the property and a vehicle, the next day the claim was filed with Allstate and this company sent its inspectors to assess the damage on four occasions, and on both occasions, Allstate argued that They would not cover the expenses incurred in the entire argument that there was no evidence of hail damage both on the roof and on one of the windows that was broken by the impact of the hail, all this after four months, so we made the decision to hire an appraiser to pursue an appraisal claim in which Allstate ultimately had to cover all expenses. It is not fair that this company promotes itself by announcing that you are in good hands when the only thing that happens is that you are in the worst hands and have to resort to unexpected expenses and have to continue paying an insurance policy to receive a lousy service from Allstate managers.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I had a hail storm in my area and Allstate, after sending three inspectors to check and take photos, considered that there was no hail damage and they do not want to be held responsible for the damage caused, the decision was made to proceed legally against Allstate, I not recommend this insurance, the report was made on April 26 and they were only taking time to say that the claim did not proceed after two months of waiting.

Original review: June 4, 2022

We had two hail storms pass through our area in two weeks leaving homes. Cars and property damaged. Allstate sent a third party paid by them to take photos while other insurance co sent adjusters to survey the damages in our neighborhood. Allstate deemed the photos inconclusive and refused any payment on my behalf. This is a third-rate insurance company. Stay away!!!! Their ratings are dropping every year for this reason.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company Information