Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a horrible experience switching my home and auto policy to Allstate. My home policy was due for renewal on 3-8-17. I emailed many companies for price quote. A few of the Allstate agents came back with quotes much lower. I worked with one agent and the pricing keep getting changed every time we talked. But overall their final quote was still lower than my current company. I approved them to do the new policy. It took them 3 weeks to get an inspection done on the house. My auto policy is not up until March 30, 2017. Because of the discount given on the multiple policies, I had to pay the full 6 month auto premium a month ahead before it is due. I had no choice but to pay it.

Then a notice of cancellation came dated March 15, 2017, only 7 days after the home policy started, stating my house was not eligible because I work out at my house. Even though I have an office outside of my home, I choose to work at my home. Allstate decided they will cancel my policy. They had wasted me hours talking to their agents and waiting for their inspection. I can't imagine how many professional works at their house, and they cannot get home policy. Their agents are not responsive. I had to call the corporate to get the policy issued. Then they assigned another local agent. The local agent cannot even return a phone call for an inquiry of the policy.

If there is a zero star, they deserve it. Do not use Allstate. They will try to send low quotes to get your attention, and then they use bait and switch to increase the price quote. Don't trust them. They knew I worked at my home when they came for the inspection. Even after they get my insurance business after their detailed inspection, then they decided to cancel my policy after all these work to get the policy issued. All State really needs to get their acts together.

I have paying 8000 a year for my family home and our cars. We experienced the worst wind storm in the history of our state this week. My room was blown all over the place. There was a hole in my room the size car. The person on the phone told me to put a tarp over it and they will send someone in 2 weeks!!! The inspector said that they I should have someone fix it and they will pay me back but they refused to replace the flapping shingles saying that they would fix themselves during the summer time. How I don't know? His name was David **. If you get him just tell him to leave and ask for someone else. Don't waste your money. Go with someone else. When you need them they are not there and the people they send should be inspecting anything let alone a home. Don't let anyone you love or care about use this company.

I was rear ended in more way than one. Their policy holder hit me and it's been an absolute nightmare to get my claim paid. They literally yelled at the auto body shop and made me return the rental car 4 days before my car was completed leaving me stranded without transportation. Horrible customer service and I will be filing a complaint with the dept of insurance... Shockingly bad business practices.

We have been with Allstate for 14 years and never filed a claim. We had a significant windstorm and hailstorm. About 11 shingles were blown off and you can see the damage from down the street. We constantly have contractors offering their services because they notice the damage. We had two quotes and two Allstate inspectors come out. The contractors showed us all of the damage. Of course Allstate was at our home for 15 minutes and denied any damage even though with an untrained eye you can see it.

Our agent never followed up with us regarding the claim. I called her after not hearing from anyone for two weeks and her response was "Well we don't get involved in claims." Really! Then what do you do? Thank goodness our house didn't burn down. We would be out of luck. Horrible customer service. Thousands of dollars down the drain...

On Feb 8 2017 my waterline burst on my toilet that I purchased a year ago. Water was flowing everywhere at fast pace. I panicked and so did my husband. The bathroom flooded my hallway two of my bedrooms and my washer and dryer room. I called my plumber and then I called my Allstate agent and explained what happened. She told me to call Servpro or Servicemaster so I choose Servpro. They came out sucked the water up with their machines and put dryers in the rooms and told me that my bathroom floor two of my bedroom floors along with my washer and dryer room floor which was recently put down two yrs ago had to come up and be replaced. They said water had gotten in the drywalls but the carpet in my hallway which is in front of my bathroom that got wet the most they said it only need to be cleaned but they removed half of the padding and pulled up the carpet and put dryers under it to dry.

I called the claims department to start a claim because Servpro said the damages would be over my deductible. Well the dryers were here from Feb 8th until Feb 12th. Well by now I still haven't seen an adjuster only to find out that Servpro was acting adjusters. They were telling Servpro what was and wasn't as though they were the homeowners. They told Allstate that my hallway carpet didn't need to be replaced because it wasn't as old as the bedroom carpet. They also said that I had mold and I didn't. They would never talk to the insurance company in my presence. They always went to their truck to talk. They took up my floors and we had to walk on plywood because of it and I have a bad back. My claims rep sucked as though she pays my premium. Everything Servpro said that's what she believed. I have called corporate and they are no better.

When the adjuster gave me my estimate after submitting my contractor estimate and her talking to him she tried to get him to lower his fee and he wouldn't. I told her that my vanity had water damage and she wouldn't consider it. I had a space saver damaged along with other things but none of it was considered. When she finished I had 422 to buy carpet for two bedrooms and a bathroom floor and a washer and dryer room and padding but the claims rep told me to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and price the materials and I did. And when I faxed her the prices she would not approve it. Then she said they were sending samples of my carpet to the lab but I never have heard back other than my claim was finished and to this day I have never seen an adjuster.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

I have been Allstate customer for 15 years for home and auto. Recently they changed my husband's last name without our knowledge or consent. We bought a new home last summer. Allstate sent their agent to do the inspection and based on that gave us a quote. We took home insurance policy with them. 2 months later they increased our home premium by $700 without our knowledge/consent. BTW, there were no claims in 2 months. I wonder what changed in 2 months??? Also, in the original policy they had the right mailing address. But in the changed policy they used our old mailing address.

Also, they did not send us any email about this change. I feel completely cheated. They changed the premium, mailing address, last name without our knowledge and consent; at their own discretion so that we would not know that they made these changes and we will keep paying higher premium. And by the time we realize this it would already be 6 months to a year when we generally review the policy.

On 10/13/16 I received a property inspection notice from Allstate for the 4/13/17 renewal on my homeowner's insurance. No date, no appointment and no contact number to arrange for an appointment. I live alone, rural and have, like 99 % of my neighbors (Allstate is quite aware of this), a locked gate. On 2/27/17 I was informed that my policy will not be renewed because "we have been unable to obtain a completed exterior inspection of your dwelling". I do unlock the gate for scheduled service and deliveries from 8-5. Allstate makes no effort to make an appointment or call you to open the gate. However Allstate is trying to 'dump' modular homes from their insurance roster and uses every excuse to do so.

My home had hail and wind damage in June 2016. I filed a claim with Allstate. It took a month for them to even come out. Then another month for another inspector to look at it. My roofer said damage was all over, both sides. Allstate said only 1 side was damaged and only paid for half of a roof. I was mad, never had a claim in over 6 years with them. They really let me down. They are the worst to deal with, keep putting it off and very hard to get answers from. I have left them for good. They lost my home and auto coverage. Agent never called me to talk or question why I left. I guess they just don't care, well neither do I. Common sense will tell you wind and hail damage BOTH SIDES OF A ROOF... They don't care about policy holders, only STOCK HOLDERS... Bolingbrook, IL. office.

We bought a house 3/15 and Allstate was the cheapest. They sent their inspector out to inspect the roof and we also had to provide our own independent inspection report. Two years later (1/9/17) there was a big windstorm that made national news. They waited a month to come out and review it because they were so busy with all the other claims in the area - meanwhile we had tiles all over our yard and more come off every single day.

We had two independent roof inspectors come out and tell us our roof is organic and cannot be patched, but besides that not only have we lost a lot of tiles but the seals on the remaining tiles are broken now and with every gust we will continue to lose more and more. They are denying the roof replacement now on the grounds that the roof was poorly constructed to begin with (despite not being mentioned in the reports before they covered it/took premium or in any of the independent inspection reports).

When we called the claims adjuster, he hung up on us. When we asked to have his boss call us (via customer service) - Andrew- told us he was told to call us but had nothing to say and hung up. When we called our agent, George **, he told me he hated his job because he wants to help people and he can't do that with Allstate because he has nothing to do with why they deny claims.

He told us to rescind our claim since they aren't going to pay anything anyway and he didn't want it to count against us. He told us he doesn't understand why they aren't covering it and agreed it didn't make sense but he never bothered to even try to talk to the adjuster, and told us we should file suit/arbitration to get our claim paid instead and to save the receipts. That can't be legal can it?

Unfortunately we had a series of bad events happened to us last year. My car was broken into at the school that I worked at followed by the next week have a trailer that was parked on a private secure lot being stolen with five ATV in it, followed by me being struck by another driver and having damage done to my car. Because of these multiple claims as we are in the process of purchasing a new home Allstate is refusing to insure us or stating that we will be three to five times more expensive because we are considered a high-risk claim. We were victims and now we have to pay for years and years we had gone without any claims on any of our insurance and because of one terrible tragic gear we must continue to suffer.

After paying monthly our homeowners insurance for 9 years we had to file a claim for a water leak. We dealt with the noise from the company trying to dry the carpet and padding out and then the adjuster Kyle ** came and proceeded to write us a check for what he thought was enough. 2 months later, we are still trying to get money from him and Allstate. They only want to pay the bare minimum for materials, NO LABOR but they think it's included in the estimate for the check.

BUYER BEWARE. Stay away from this company. All they want is your money and don't CARE ABOUT YOU.

I had two claim experiences with Allstate. I can say unequivocally the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. They lie and will try to pay you so much less than your claim warrants. My roof leaked into my house. It caused a lot of damage. Every appraisal or estimate of repair I got was north of 7500.00. They tried to give me 2100. For five months I have battled with them. The damage after the contractors started tearing down was closer to 10,000. Yet they make it so difficult to get an appraisal you give up and pay. My 1000 deductible is now closer to 4000 because these pirates make you feel as though you are asking for more than is deserved.

So the contractors are finally done and they did not complete the payment on the claim. They said not until work is completed. Well it has been done now for 13 days and the final check they promised within 3 days never came. So I will be @ a 6590 deductible. They gave me nothing for the roof. They said they did not get to see it so they won't pay. 8275.00 added to my now 6599 deductible. Lies, misrepresentations and wiggle outs.

I would not recommend anyone insure with them. I believe they are patently dishonest. Pay your premium and have coverage that is only going to pay 20 to 30 percent. Their fine print screws you. They could not get a person out to assess the damage. My roof was leaking. I could not wait. I had to do repairs. Worrying about getting further damage gave them the uh oh! Should have put a tarp over it and waited. What a group of pirates. Good hands should be changed to sleight of hands. Any loophole they can create they will. I am embarrassed I insured with this dishonest company. My auto claim was just as bad. They offered half what it cost to fix. The body shop said, "That's the way they do it." Hope you will cash the check and buy a TV. They save thousands. What despicable people!

I recently had water damages to my home from the ice maker of my fridge and it caused a leak in my basement. It took Allstate a week to send out an adjuster. While waiting for the adjuster they recommended a mitigation company to come out and dried out the moisture. They were not able to dried out the basement until they perform an asbestos test which took about 5 days including the weekends. We had to live with the noise of industrial fans and dehumidifier for four agony days and the agent did not respond to my voicemails that I left to see if we were able to stay at a hotel.

We have a 2 year old at home and the condition was not livable yet nobody cares. She finally got back to us after I called up the mitigation company and was complaining. The adjuster came out to do his job and cut me a check for what he thought the damages were. I had 3 subcontractors came out to do the evaluation. There was only one that seems to be reputable so I decided to go with his quote.

Of course the insurance company did not accept the proposal. They told me that removing the wall where the water damage is not necessary and that they can just paint it over. I told them my concern is not about making it look nice. There were concerns of mold and of course they told me that's not likely but yet they can't assure me that there is no mold underneath. The mitigation people that they sent over did not do the job correctly neither. They failed to check for mold and did not seal my basement and belongings before they start blowing industrial size fans which send dust particles everywhere.

All I can say is Allstate did not care whether I was happy or not with the service. If they can save any dollar amount on the cost of fixing they would. Long story short, the water damages happened right before Thanksgiving and it's now January 19, 2017 and I'm still going back and forth with the insurance. My agent is no help as I should've known from the beginning when she does nothing. They want to do the bare minimum and that's their business regardless if it affects you or not. At the end of the day they save money and that's all they care about. They only care to make your damages "looks" good instead of doing it the correct way.

I definitely would not recommend anyone to Allstate and will make sure everyone is aware of the situation I have to and is still going through. We have insurance for a reason and it's very sad that you pay for it yet do not get help in return when you need it. I might as well pay it to my savings account. At least I know the money will be there if I need it.

My parents had Allstate for all 3 of their properties for almost 50 years and never filed a claim. One of these was a rental house in Napa. When their tenant asked them to reduce the already way lower than market value rent, they refused. Their malcontent tenant then squatted for 6 months and put over 10000 dart holes in the walls, flooded the bathrooms, and painted graffiti. Of course my Dad could not enter because they refused to communicate and in Napa renters have all the rights. At this time my mother was dying of cancer so it was not a high priority on Dad's list to pursue.

After the 6 months was over, Allstate came in and said to my Dad, "If only you claimed this after it happened, we would be able to process." Dad just shrugged his shoulders and said "I guess that's that". His priority was in a different space. But I told him it wasn't right that he never claimed a thing and they (Allstate) did this. He agreed but did not pursue. I am writing this in the hopes that anyone that may consider them for insurance turn away. They are heartless thieves. Mom and Dad are both gone now and no one in our immediate and expanded family will ever use Allstate in any capacity and we hope that you will not either.

I shopped for home insurance when I first bought my house and Allstate gave me $1900 which was the best offer! One year later without knowing Allstate adds $400 and informs the mortgage company without letting me know!!! I accidentally knew when my mortgage company sent me the end of year escrow summary where I had a shortage that I have to pay!!!

When I called them their answer was, "well your insurance company changed your policy and it jumped from 1900 to 2300!!!" When Allstate sends policy review they mention everything except the price!!! By the time I learned all of this I had already canceled my policy with them just because I felt that I keep paying more! And after knowing all of this I called Allstate for explanation. They said "well sorry we can't review your policy because you already cancelled it!!" This is the worst insurance company ever. I don't usually write reviews, but I don't want other people to get scammed so be careful stay away from Allstate!!

I had a horrible adjuster, didn't honor my structural or content claim, both were damaged as a result of a wind storm, stated that nothing was wrong. Clearly didn't want to work, or honor my claim. What am I paying for? Auto and homeowners, I'm devastated, and so unsatisfied!

I have had nothing but issues with this company. I bought my home in 2014 and the lender suggested Allstate, ok being a new homeowner I thought was ok. Well I had to file a claim for the roof and they said it was poor maintenance and paid 250.00 - WTF!!! This time they raised my premium so high that it wiped out my escrow money and now I have not enough to pay for my taxes. I spoke with my lender and she said they will pay my taxes but I will have to pay extra 75.00 on mortgage to cover that money. I really hate Allstate. So in order for me to get the premium down to a normal rate I can pay, I had to leave Geico insurance and add my jeep to a bundled policy with them. I feel like they bullied me into giving them my jeep as well. I cannot stress how much I hate them and this at the time of Christmas. When it is time to renew, I will call them to cancel because they are a horrible company. I never want to be in their hands again for anything.

We have been a customer of Allstate for 25 years. They have been fabulous to work with. We moved into a new custom home 10 years ago. At that time, Pex pipe was used in many custom homes. We had our first problem in Oct, 2012 when the house was six years old. This was when we found out about the class action lawsuit; however, there was no recourse available. We have had 3 more claims since that time; the total cost to Allstate for all claims was approx. $25K. We received a letter in Sept notifying us they would not renew our homeowners policy when it came up for renewal in December, 2016.

I have called, written letters, talked to my local agent and congressional rep and nobody was able to get Allstate to allow us to remain their customer. The reason is because our claims were water related. I have never had this experience; i.e., being told by a company we do not want your business. Also, I never thought I would beg a company to keep me as a customer. I really thought Allstate was different from the horror stories I have heard throughout the years about insurance problems. It is unbelievable how insurance companies are allow to treat their customers and even more unbelievable is that we are forced to tolerate the treatment. Allstate is just like the rest... they love you until you need them and then, they are done with you.

My neighbor's tree fell on my garage in mid July. I paid to have tree removed. An adjuster came out and gave estimate for repair. Allstate gave me name of contractor they use who came out and said garage could not be repaired and had to be torn down and rebuilt. Allstate sent out two engineers who confirmed this. That was months ago. They are still not giving me the insured value of the replacement. I cannot rebuild the garage for what they will pay and if I don't replace it, I can only put in a shed. The agent hasn't returned phone calls. I've been more than patient but after their baloney "you're in good hands" I am going to cancel my auto and homeowners with them. They are the worst!

Allstate way overestimated the cost to replace my house for insurance purposes which caused my rate to be sky high. I had another company give me an estimate to replace my house and it was half of what Allstate was charging. I had to fire this company after they raised not only my house but auto insurance. They also bounced my checking account 2 times costing me $80 in overdraft fees when they were told not to use my bank account, that I would be paying with my credit card each month but they went ahead and robbed my bank account anyway.

I feel this company is a complete scam when it comes to costs. I was told rate increase was from other people making claims on their houses. Yet I never made 1 claim on my house yet my insurance cost went up 2 times. I did find another company which I am much happier with and they do not overdraw my bank or raise my rates constantly. I feel I am due a refund for the money they overcharged me for years.

I'm a customer and when the time comes during an event that damaged my home, I feel the money I pay them, I deserve at least one phone call from the company suggesting what I should do. I'm not an insurance expert nor do I know protocol. I was left to figure out what to do, how to do it, etc. Never received one phone call from this company. This is my biggest complaint which justifies their 1 star rating. If I treated my customers this way I would be fired. To this day I cannot get someone in Allstate to answer me why their customer service was non existent. It's all about the almighty dollar and the consumer is 2nd. Allstate wake up. Without us you are nothing. I will keep writing reviews with different sites so I can protect other people from my experiences. I cannot recommend yr firm.

My home was robbed in my garage. They took all my cooking stuff, and food for my church dinner and my candelabras and centerpieces I borrowed from my sister. Allstate says "you can't have other people's stuff in your home." They will not cover. Also now the investigator wants phone records and bs. I never heard of any of this. That's why everyone is giving neg reviews. They lie to you and just want your money. The police came and found a print where they pried my garage open. It's so sad. So beware and check out insurance. And watch your home areas. It's holidays now.

After suffering a robbery of our home, Allstate all but slapped us in the face and basically we felt completely robbed again. 10K of items stolen, including a safe which held a diamond ring with an official appraisal which we had photos of. Not only did Allstate take 3 months to respond to the claim, they came back with a $354.00 check. It was literally surreal. They claimed we needed to list all our items with them or they are not covered. Also if someone is living there for 5 years with proof, but is not on the actual deed, then nothing they owned is covered at all!!! It was the most horrific experience to be violated and then to get completely violated again by the people you pay to protect you. The worst company ever, total scam. This whole ordeal has left me sick to my stomach.

RUN!!! I was a 14 yr. policyholder. My Advice --- do not do business with them. Research "which companies have highest re-enrollment rates" --- it's not Allstate. These hands are filthy lining their pockets with your money. Payout is almost impossible. July 13,2016 a faucet busted after I left for work. $280,000 home. By 1:15 pm an inch of water had covered first floor -- ~ 1300 sq ft. Allstate wanted to settle by giving me $15,158 to REPLACE kitchen cabinets, all wood floors, baseboards, paint, necessary electrical and plumbing costs. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Vendor Estimates were over $40,000!! They delay, delay, and lowball settlement offers. I could not even start the job as I did not have the $25,000 difference. 3 Months passed. MOLD GREW due to delays. Costs escalated. They want to wait you out. They take NO responsibility. They refused additional living expenses so I could not even obtain equal living quarters during this time. I had to contact the STATE BOARD OF INSURANCE TO REPORT THEM.

They refused to pay fair market value for wood flooring -- they assign the lowest possible value to your home at payout but highest value to set monthly rates they charge. Same problem with electrical. These were not upgrades -- they are replacements. This is November and the nightmare continues... INSANE and unethical. PLEASE REPORT YOUR ISSUES WITH THIS COMPANY TO YOUR STATE BOARD OF INSURANCE.

My rental home was damaged during a storm in November of 2015. I filed a claim with Allstate Insurance Homeowners Policy and was denied. The Insurance adjuster stated in his findings that Allstate does not insure homes with torch-down roofs. I provided proof that when the home was initially insured in 2005. It was stated that the home had a torch-down roof, and the policy was written with that understanding. I then filed a complaints with the Insurance Commission of Oregon, who did nothing to help me with my claim. Beware of Allstate. You're in "Good Hands" if they are taking your money and don't file any claim. What a Rip Off company.

I had renter insurance with Allstate for over 8 years without any claim. In May 2015 my wife and I were moving out our apartment and the neighbor created a hostile atmosphere which forced us to leave some household and personal belonging behind. I made a claim to Allstate of the loss ($2414) which the adjuster claimed was not in the contract... My understanding has been that a renter insurance is supposed to cover all contents for loss when the event occurs. If my situation was not covered as a legitimate claim what was the policy covering??? I would high urge consumers to boycott Allstate when they fail to cover a legitimate loss.

Being a homeowner for over 20 years, downsizing to an apartment has had its adjustments. Since I've never had a Renter's Policy before, I wanted to stick with a highly reputable and well-known company - which is why I chose Allstate. I filed a claim after my neighbor upstairs had a leak that came down through my apartment with nasty brown-colored water that soaked and ruined clothing inside a closet. I sent the adjuster at Allstate pictures and video of the incident. Immediately... and let me repeat this, IMMEDIATELY. The adjuster began running down a list of excuses why they wouldn't pay. He even accused me of trying to scam them. When I called him out on it, his excuse was that they have a high incidence of fraud with renter's policies. I was shocked.

While I understand adjusters have a job to do, not once was I reassured that Allstate was in my corner. Quite the opposite was true... you can tell a very STRONG emphasis is placed on them to get OUT of paying claims, and ZERO emphasis placed on quality customer service. I did not appreciate being called a liar - especially when I gave them all the proof they needed for the claim.

Very bad experience. I been their customer since 1996, sadly I had a theft claim last June and it's my first claim ever. I been through a lot with the whole situation and with ALLSTATE that I have to keep repeating myself over and over and asking me again and again for the list of the stolen items which they have it since 06/24/2016 because they want me to get fed-up and give up, and they are not even covering my whole loss, because my insurance policy is only $15000.00 and my loss is over double from that, almost all my jewelry is gone in gold and silver, my black watches bands, $1638.00 cash, gift cards, my home spare keys, some antiques and crystals, couple small brand name bags and wallets, coach key chains, perfumes etc...

The thief has a long history of stealing and drugs, she is in jail, but I don't know where to find my stuff or some of it at least. I been suffering a lot from this situation even with my health with no help at all. And I used to think that AlllState is a good company, and they will be there for us BUT with this experience it came out to be it is a very bad. It seems that I have to get the media attention on the whole situation through Internet, newspaper's or whatever, and hire an attorney to file a lawsuit even if he will take all of the money from this claim. Their renters insurance claims department is horrible, they make me suffer more on the top of what I have from my loss and damage.

I've been with AllState for a long time, and I have never file a claim. Two months ago, I got robbed, after living at the house for 16 years, needless to say I felt scare and violated. They took my two laptops where I had backup of photos and receipts. The agent, Steve **, or I think he's an adjuster, more like a clown have call me a liar for not be able to give him exact receipts from the merchants for the items stolen. Even though I have give him all receipts and paperwork he has asked for. He writes back letters telling me that those receipts are not acceptable. I'm in despair and looking for a lawyer at this point. I know he has a personal vendetta against me, or at least it feels that way.

One of their agents was very rude. About two weeks ago, I requested Allstate to investigate liability of my home damage. One of the agents called me to tell me that they cannot cover the damage because it wasn't under their policy. That's totally fine. All I wanted was to check back in with them and see whether it can be covered or not.

The part that really offended me was that this guy's manner. He treated me as if I was the one who kept asking for money or arguing with him about the policy. He was defensive in the beginning of the call and kept going on with his argument. Then I asked for clarity on some damage coverage statements. He cut my question and repeated the same argument quickly as if I couldn't understand his statements. At that point I already got angry on his tone of the voice and manner. This unpleasantness ruined my morning. I don't know what type of call he made right before mine, but it was really unfair and offensive that I was treated as such since my claim was about investigating the situation with them and understand it not getting money from them.

If they could simply explain how they investigated the case and answer my question in polite way, I would've been ok with this situation. I don't want to worry about talking with rude people in the future, especially when I am worried about the accident happened in my house. I appreciate companies with polite, right mannered agents and apparently Allstate is not one of them.

Compare Homeowners Insurance