Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.72/5

Allstate is the second-largest homeowners insurance company in the U.S. When you request a quote, Allstate suggests three different levels of coverage to choose from. You can further customize a policy to fit your needs. Although Allstate’s prices can be higher than some other companies', it has multiple discounts available and a high financial strength rating.

BOTTOM LINE

Allstate provides good homeowners insurance with several levels of coverage. The prices are a bit higher than average, but Allstate might still be a good choice for those looking to protect their home.

PROS

• Several coverage options
  • High financial strength rating
  • Plentiful discounts

CONS

• Slightly high costs

Top Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Homeowners Insurance?

After a plumbing leak flooded the 1st floor of my home, Allstate covered all the repair costs and property damage. I've been with Allstate for almost 3 years and every time we filed a claim it was handled quickly... The agent we deal with is very helpful and so were the ones handling the claims.

We recently had severe wind damage done to our swimming pool. I thought for sure it would be a real hassle even inquiring about homeowner's coverage on it. Well let me tell you... I have never been happier with a company... I would recommend them to anyone.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Get a Quote

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

How does Allstate homeowners insurance work?

Allstate homeowners insurance covers your home from certain perils in exchange for a premium. In the event of damage from a covered peril, you’ll file a claim, pay a deductible and Allstate pays the rest. Additional insurance coverage is available for events not covered in the traditional homeowners insurance package.

Purchase Allstate homeowners insurance directly from Allstate or through independent agents. Allstate also has a mobile app to get a quote, assess what type and amount of insurance you need and update personal information. Allstate writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Allstate home insurance cost

In general, Allstate homeowners insurance costs are higher than those of other insurance companies. Expect a policy to cost anywhere from $1,250 to $1,650 a year, but important factors like location, size of home and coverage type determine your exact premium. You can request a quote online from Allstate.

What does Allstate home insurance cover?

Allstate’s coverage varies depending on where you live, but expect a homeowners insurance policy with Allstate to cover damage due to:

• Windstorm or hail
  • Fire and smoke
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Water damage from appliances, heating and cooling systems, water heaters and plumbing

A traditional homeowners insurance plan won’t offer coverage for certain perils. However, you can purchase additional coverage from Allstate, such as:

• Flood insurance: Typical Allstate coverage takes care of water damage from an appliance or burst pipe, but not from flooding. If you’re concerned about damage from flooding, consider purchasing flood insurance. In some locations, this type of insurance is required.
  • Earthquake insurance: This insurance covers your home structure and belongings from earthquake damage.
  • Personal umbrella policy: Add this type of policy to cover legal fees and lost wages due to lawsuits from visitors who get injured on your property.

Allstate home insurance discounts

Allstate offers a wide variety of discounts that can substantially lower the price for home insurance premiums.

• Easy Pay Plan: Save 5% by setting up automatic payments.
  • No claims discount: A 20% discount awaits those who haven’t made any recent claims when they switch to Allstate.
  • Bundle discount: Save up to 25% by bundling homeowners insurance with another policy through Allstate, including auto or term life insurance.
  • Age 55 and retired discount: If you’re over 55 and not working, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Welcome discount and loyalty discount: Save up to 10% by switching from another company, and the discount remains in effect throughout your time with Allstate.
  • Early signing discount: Expect up to 10% off when getting a policy at least one week before your current policy expires.
  • Home alarm discount: Have a home alarm? Earn another discount.
  • Roof discount: Hail-resistant roofs may qualify homeowners for a discount.
  • Smoke-free discount: Nonsmokers end up paying less for their policies.
  • Storm shutter discount: Homes with storm shutters have cheaper policies with Allstate.
  • Recent construction or purchase: If your home is newly constructed or you just purchased it, you can get a discount.

Allstate homeowners insurance plans

When you request a quote from Allstate, it will give three quotes: for Basic coverage, Extended coverage and Premium coverage. These are broad terms that may or may not include some of the supplemental insurance add-ons listed below.

• Water backup: Covers a clogged drain or faulty sump pump
  • Green reimbursement: Covers energy-efficient upgrades in your home
  • Scheduled personal property: Covers valuables like antiques, collectibles and jewelry
  • Sports equipment: Covers sports equipment, including bicycles, golf clubs and skis
  • Yard and garden: Covers riding lawn mowers, ornamental plantings, landscaping and trees
  • Business property: Covers items used for a small business run from your home or equipment in a home office
  • Identity theft protection: Covers legal fees and lost wages if your identity is stolen
  • Electronic data recovery: Helps cover lost computer data like family photos or financial records
  • HostAdvantage: Covers damage if renters damage your home or steal your possessions as part of a home-sharing agreement, like with Airbnb

Allstate homeowners insurance FAQ

Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover pitbulls?
Allstate does sometimes give coverage to homes with pitbulls, but this varies by state and local regulations.
Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
No, homeowners insurance from Allstate will not cover foundation repair.
Does Allstate use credit scores for homeowners insurance?
No. In the past, Allstate used credit scores as a factor for homeowners insurance, but it has since ended this practice.
What is Allstate HostAdvantage?
Allstate HostAdvantage provides protection for those who share their home — for example, through Airbnb.

Is Allstate home insurance good?

Allstate homeowners insurance is worth it for those looking to protect their home. It’s easy to get a quote online by submitting your information. We like that you can purchase directly through Allstate’s website or work with a local agent who answers any questions. Prices might be slightly higher than at other homeowners insurance companies, but Allstate offers good coverage.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I had Allstate and they were very good in price then the next year they raise the price $200 extra for no reason, called them to ask them why, they said everything is raised and we have to raise our premium, I shop around and found Travelers much cheaper.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

Allstate gives me enough information. I don't need to be calling them, I have been very happy since I went with them. Best prices in comparison with other insurance companies. Many companies have call me trying to change but I would rather stick one that I feel comfortable with.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Insurance is as much about the agent. Our Allstate agent is great. Helpful, easy to reach, friendly. We have been lucky and only had to use our home insurance once. There were no problems and the damage was quickly taken care of. I would recommend Allstate based on our experience.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

After shopping around with other companies, I chose Allstate to provide my home and auto coverage. They were close and helpful. We went over all of the options and compared policies side by side. I was assured I had the best policy after we were through.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Allstate is one of the best homeowners insurance you'll find on the market. Standard home insurance policies from Allstate include coverage for a dwelling and attached fixtures such as a garage. Standard policies also provide protection against damage from fire, smoke, theft, vandalism and weather including hail, wind and lightning.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I purchased home insurance with this company some years ago. I felt the price was high, but I accepted it. Anyway I called them when I realized they had my birthday wrong, and they had me 30 years older than I am. A week later I get a letter saying my insurance is being canceled because I have a pool in my backyard. I argued with them because I don't have a backyard! Come to find out they're talking about the little pink kids' pool on the side of my house! So they canceled me! Then billed me for the month they canceled me!

So years later my friend was working there and wanted me to be their client. I told her about the age discrimination thing and she said she'd be my agent. So I let her try. Now they said I can reapply in one more year because it had to be three years in-between. Then I had to explain it to the owner's daughter whom had a terrible attitude! And she said she seen a picture and I had a lot of garbage on the side of my house. I said, "No that's my neighbor. We've called the city on her several times!"

I can't get out there everyday and pick up after her and her kids! I'm disabled and full of arthritis, myositid, fibromyalgia? DDD, Kyphoshis, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, chronic pain syndrome, ORIF of left ankle and leg, have fractures and many more lol. It boils down to when they thought I was in my 70s they were cool insuring me. We had no problems. As soon as I did the right thing and pointing out the error we started having issues.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Insurance companies are out to make money, no matter what company it is. They penalize you if you use it. I think insurance companies are the biggest rip off ever. If they were really for the person insured, you would not get penalized for using something that you are paying for out of your pocket. I really think insurance companies that cover home, auto and medical should be looked into.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I am completely satisfied & disappointed with Allstate Insurance Company, My entire home was reconstructed & I had another carrier for homeowners Insurance, I decided to put all my Insurance in one Allstate, They sent out their 4 point inspection person, whom I paid to do it & the next day I was dropped after a total reconstruction B/c Allstate stated my central Air conditioner system was too old, It works perfectly fine, they told me In order to be Insured after the fact I would have to replace my air, this is unacceptable & ridiculous, then they stated if I wanted their help to find a different carrier I need to pay Allstate, not happening, totally unprofessional & definitely not consumer oriented, Beware of Allstate Insurance.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I'm glad to remain a customer of Allstate for the last decade or longer. I've also enjoyed their rewards programs for various reasons. I've got properties in all locations and have lived in some so I'm writing from experience in states along the east coast.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Allstate is good! Their response to claim is very good. But they are more expensive than other insurance company. If they could lower their premium, it will be great. Hope that they will lower it for the benefit of their customers and their business.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company Information