2.27/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Allstate sells auto, home, renters, motorcycle and life insurance. Allstate isn't an InsuraMatch partner at this time. To get multiple quotes all at once in less than 10 minutes, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

827 Allstate Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have been a customer with Allstate for over 17 years. My home and auto has been covered with Allstate. In 17 years, I have had 1 one claim. I relocated and transferred my coverage to Dallas, TX which resulted in a 30% increase upon renewal! I was told because I lost a discount. The discount was given upon logging into the Allstate website and clicking a button! No one bothered to tell me that my discount was in jeopardy or that in order to keep my CURRENT RATE, I needed to click a button for no paper mail which was done! It had been selected for one of my policies however I was supposed to select it for all.

To add insult to injury; I had not received any paper mail from Allstate! I received a bill via EMAIL with the higher rate. When I inquired WHY my rate went up, it took them a while to find it. Once we determined the problem, I was told that there was nothing that could be done until my next renewal! I had to pay the higher premiums. So much for Loyalty. No one from the Corporate office even bothered to call me once they were told of the problem/concern. A customer of 17+ years just ignored. I look forward to ignoring them very soon. Allstate just wants your money. Customer Service is below 1 star.

Original review: July 6, 2018

An insured worst nightmare. The person that takes your money (the agent) is great and very responsive but when it came time to process a claim, they are horrible. We experienced a hit and run when a car had backed into the building. This caused extensive damage. There's a hole in the exterior stucco wall, the floor to ceiling window frame is completely damaged (miraculously, the glass was not broken). On the interior, a support wall was moved 2-3 inches from the foundation and the adjacent bathroom sustained complete damage. The vanity sink was push and moved 6 inches off and water leaked as a result. The ceiling was damage with 2 inches wide cracks.

Allstate sent out their contracted field estimator. He took pictures and measurements but complained that he was not able to see the extent of the foundation damage because the drywalls were not removed. I authorized him to remove whatever he needed but he declined to do so. So he continued to take his measure, gave me his card and said that he will forward the report to Allstate within a couple of days and it will be assigned to the "Major Damage" department. I asked what constitute "major damage" and he states that damage above $75,000.00. Several days passed and I didn't hear back from Allstate. I called, they stated that the estimator need to come back out to assess the extent of the foundation damage but we would need to open up the walls.

By this time, I was advised to get my own contractor for estimates. One of these contractor came out, open some of the dry walls and within three days, gave me an estimate for the repairs. With the walls open, I contacted Allstate and they sent the same estimator out. One week after this second visit, I was presented an estimate from Allstate and they say the check was on the way. I reviewed the estimate and I couldn't believe what I saw of the first page, they couldn't even get the measurements right. The above mentioned floor to ceiling window is 3 ft. x 8 ft., they came back with a 36 in. x 50 in. windows. Two of the doors are 36 in. wide and but they measured it to be 30 in. Their estimate was at 12 % (and the check the issued) of what my contractor estimate. We all know that insurance adjusters are going to low ball but this cannot be legal.

Now, they've hired their own general contractor to take over this claim. They submitted a revised estimate that is more the double the prior offer. Interesting enough, I asked this new general contractor, that in that case, I am going to use you guys to get the do the work. They refused, stating that they were hired just to do the estimate, not the work. So it looks like they are going to estimate how much it should cost someone else to do the work. But for them to do the work, it would be much more. This can not be legal. It is on-going for three plus months and there's no resolution. Will post any updates.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 27, 2018

Over the years we've had several claims on our home and Allstate has been excellent on their assistance and payments for damages, offering assistance when needed, often without our asking.

Original review: June 25, 2018

We had some damage to our home from a wind/hail storm. I had siding on the ground, and you could see dents. They sent their claim assessor out, and he said "there is damage, however, there is some old storm damage, so because I am not sure what is new and what is old, not covering." This was 2 days after my husband passed away. I got different homeowner's insurance, and cancelled Allstate. They continued to take the monthly premiums out of my account. I then called the agent again, and said this is to be cancelled, I have insurance thru a different company, and, since my husband passed, and the account is in his name, needs to be closed. Now, I get a bill (under my late husband's name) from a collection agency. Now, the estate is closed, they needed to respond if owed any money by Feb. 14, 2017. Ummmm, good luck!! Shady, shady company!!

Original review: June 24, 2018

Allstate is a great Insurance company. But it's the agents you have to watch. Not all agents are the same. Some are great, always available to answer your question or concerns and will get back to you quick as possible if they have to research the answer. But with others you would have better chance of getting answers from the dead.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: June 23, 2018

My agent is great and I have great coverage. The problem is that insurance is extremely high in Michigan and even more expensive within the city of Detroit.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have file three claim after major storms. My claims have all been denied. My neighbors have received more than one roof from two of the storm but according to Allstate I had NO damage. The damage is visible from the street.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Long story short! We switched to Allstate from the Farm. House, wife’s car, my truck, 2 boats, 2 jet skis. I guess they seen dollar signs. After they inspected house, a week later they wrote the policy, told me I was ok to cancel other policies. FYI house is 11 year old custom house!!! Several weeks later agents worker called said they have a problem with roof shingles. Some was curling and they was going to cancel policy if we didn’t fix it. He said once letter goes out we would have 60-90 days to fix problem! Lies. Letter came and just cancel notice followed a few days later by a check for balance past cancellation date! No time to even fix or even option to do anything about it! Called Chris ** Office 3 times no return phone call! Liars and crooks. Stay away. Going back to the Farm. Worth twice as much! Beware of the bait and switch! You're in good hands! Haha. Funniest ** I ever heard???

Original review: June 13, 2018

My Allstate agent is great. He makes a tremendous effort to give exceptional service. Most people want cheap insurance but then they are shocked when their claims are not paid! Allstate is not cheap but you get what you pay for, and they pay claims fairly.

Original review: June 12, 2018

When we experienced a plumbing failure the house was flooded. But our Allstate agent was right there for us and they arranged for Servpro and put us in touch with a contractor. The repairs were done fast and professionally. Our adjuster was very prompt, efficient and handled her end just as well. Overall for such a bad experience, this was handled as painlessly as possible.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I’ve been with this company since 1965 and have my auto and home and have never had any problems over the years with claims. In fact just the opposite the service has been fantastic and I’ve had claims over the years and they’ve all been filled to my satisfaction and sometimes above what I expected. All my family members are with Allstate and they have the same experience.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I've had Allstate for 5 years and as far as customer service goes I am very happy with them because they do give you prompt and reliable customer service.

Original review: June 10, 2018

During Hurricane Katrina I received minor damages to my home, but one thing I can say about Allstate is that they were there for me and all its customers in Slidell. Allstate set up a Claim tent at Home Depot parking lot. And was truly there. The service was excellent... I won't ever forget that. It’s true what they say on the TV Commercials, (YOU'RE IN GOOD HANDS WITH ALLSTATE).

Original review: June 9, 2018

Never had any problems when filing claims for damages. Staff is friendly and ready to help you wih your questions or needs. Convenient location and easy access in calling or emailing with any questions.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had one claim on roof damage with Allstate. Their claim process was easy, they reacted quickly and an appraiser was on site quickly. Their appraiser was thorough and quick. His appraisal was fair and payments were made to my checking account immediately. The appraiser went above and beyond and provided alternative roof types and their cost. He also reviewed and approved the bid I received from a roofing contractor. The entire process was painless and fair.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Been with them for over 30 years and wouldn’t dream of changing - have used them for renters; car; and now homeowners. Best company support and best customer relations.

Original review: June 6, 2018

June 06, 2018 Called to get Home Insurance quote. Carlos, mentioned to start the process and get a better quote, they have to run my Credit Report and Driving Record. My concern is that, why do they have to run my Credit and Driving Record, if I'm not applying for a credit card, buy a car, etc. So, beware of their requirements and ask questions.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Beware! Allstate claim adjusters are not your side! My mother is the policyholder of this horrible homeowners insurance. She's been with Allstate over 40yrs. In April of 2018, I called in a claim for roof damage. Her claim adjuster was Anthony **. He was very unhelpful. He treated my mother's claim like the money was coming out of his pocket, maybe that's Allstate guideline for these adjusters. After he quoted how much he would give for repairs, which ridiculously low, and sent the check. He closed my mom's claim.

We could not a contractor that could do the repairs for check amount. He kept saying, that the contractor was trying to put a different type of material (roll roofing) and it needed to be the exact material that was already on the roof. He could tell this from picture he was looking at in Alabama. After calling, which, he would not call back, and contacting his supervisor, Angela ** who never returned my calls. We finally got this resolved this month, June.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Beware Allstate Insureds! Allstate has rolled out a NATIONWIDE team of non-licensed inspectors who know nothing of property insurance adjusting. They show up to your home to take photos and video with no experience and no license. They might say the person on the other end of the camera is licensed. But don’t trust it! From my personal experience, Do not let a non-licensed person on to your property! It is your right to have a licensed adjuster present on your claim! They are just trying to save a buck!

Allstate has a duty to fully and properly inspect your loss. This failure of duty is very serious and hopefully state insurance commissioners will crack down on such nonsense. Maybe you had one of these inspections on your claim already. Call 800-547-8676 and ask for a reinspection with a licensed adjuster. That way you know for sure that nothing was missed! They are obligated to inspect your property with a licensed adjuster! For a company that prides itself on good customer service, this is a virtual thing is crazy.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Allstate Insurance Customer Service has done an outstanding job for me. They always follow up on any questions or concerns in a timely manner. If you want a good experience with an insurance company, contact Allstate Insurance.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have had Allstate homeowners coverage since 1974. I had only one claim in that period and it was after Superstorm Sandy. Due to several windstorms, my roof has taken a beating. I submitted for a claim for the roof. Not only was I turned down indicating the roof was fine except for missing shingles but, I was canceled due to disrepair. I dislike insurance very much. You pay your premiums on time and when it comes to coverage they don't want to pay. I filed a complaint with DOBI and they indicated Allstate was following protocol. What a bunch of **!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I've had this insurance since buying my home 30 years ago. Due to questionable construction of adjoining houses (this is a wood-frame row house), getting insurance was difficult. This is a two-family house. Allstate was the only company that would insure me, which enabled me to finally get a mortgage. I am grateful for that.

Several years ago, my departing tenant did considerable damage to the apartment before leaving. Allstate covered some of that, especially water damage from a flooded bathroom. But declared that some was "hard wear-and-tear", not vandalism. Overall, they were pretty fair, fast and helpful covering the claim. The agent, who visited, actually checked my roof (which I have trouble accessing) to see if it was OK (not part of my claim) and cleared out my gutter! That was pretty amazing and he was great. I don't know about other particular Allstate offices but I would highly recommend the agent and office that I have been using.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Great friendly people to work with but insurance Isn't helping those who strive to do the right and make no claims. Over 27 years of no accident and I get no rewards. High premium, increase every 6 months. Told others people are making claims.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Had this insurance since 1992 had a water leak in my home in 2015 they refused to cover my floors. Only had 1 claim and they paid $200.00. It was a burglary claim. They removed my water coverage and never told me and my monthly payments only went up. I will never use them again. You are not in good hands with Allstate! You can find cheaper and better. Try AAA.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I have a 2-family wood-frame row house in Brooklyn, NY. Allstate is the only homeowners insurance I could get when I first bought my home. Other companies would not cover the house because it was part of a connected row of houses and some of them were in poor condition. So, I am grateful to them for the coverage that made it possible to get my mortgage. I’ve been with them for almost 30 years. I had one claim, five years ago, for vandalism and damage to the rental apartment. They provided reasonable reimbursement. They were very fast. The inspector was very helpful and actually took a look at other parts of the house... the roof... and cleared some leaves out of the gutter. How nice is that?! I haven’t compared their cost with other companies. But I’m happy with them. They send frequent tips about home maintenance and safety.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Allstate customer service is very good to us and whenever I call they are very helpful. We have been with them for over a decade and we are getting a good deal.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have used Allstate for my car insurance since I owned my first car over 40 years ago and have had Allstate homeowners for about 4 years now. Customer service is great and cost is okay.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We have owned our home since 1993. In that time, we have had one claim. We lost the back porch due to a hurricane. Allstate took all my calls and they worked with me. I got the claim check within a week. I am very satisfied with Allstate.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Have home and auto through Allstate and have always received prompt courteous service although I have not put in a claim while insured by Allstate. Best price for the coverage.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I've been an Allstate customer for over 20 years and you would think they would appreciate good customers and give a better price on their products. Despite this treatment, their claims are fair and fast. I am thinking of looking for another insurance company to purchase co-op insurance. I had canceled my auto insurance with Allstate because I was being charged more for my policy than other insurance companies. I do not feel appreciated after all these years of using them for insurance. They should give long-term loyal clients discounts. Thanks.

Allstate expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Allstate is one of America’s largest and most popular insurance companies. The company provides many types of insurance, including auto insurance, life insurance, homeowners insurance and more.

• Accessible: Allstate offers insurance across America, making it a convenient choice for a homeowners insurance policy no matter where a person lives.

• Reward programs: This company offers helpful programs for people who pay for protection but don’t need to use it, such as the claims-free rewards program,. Even if discount programs aren’t advertised, consumers should call or email their insurance representatives to ask about discounts, since many companies award them without publicizing them.

• Convenience: Allstate has an excellent Web presence and convenient online tools. Potential customers can request custom quotes via tools on the company’s website.

• Customer service: Allstate is a huge company, but it operates with thousands of local agents around the country.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home owners