Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Allstate is the second-largest homeowners insurance company in the U.S. When you request a quote, Allstate suggests three different levels of coverage to choose from. You can further customize a policy to fit your needs. Although Allstate’s prices can be higher than some other companies', it has multiple discounts available and a high financial strength rating.

BOTTOM LINE

Allstate provides good homeowners insurance with several levels of coverage. The prices are a bit higher than average, but Allstate might still be a good choice for those looking to protect their home.

PROS

• Several coverage options
  • High financial strength rating
  • Plentiful discounts

CONS

• Slightly high costs

Top Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Homeowners Insurance?

After a plumbing leak flooded the 1st floor of my home, Allstate covered all the repair costs and property damage. I've been with Allstate for almost 3 years and every time we filed a claim it was handled quickly... The agent we deal with is very helpful and so were the ones handling the claims.

We recently had severe wind damage done to our swimming pool. I thought for sure it would be a real hassle even inquiring about homeowner's coverage on it. Well let me tell you... I have never been happier with a company... I would recommend them to anyone.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Get a Quote

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

How does Allstate homeowners insurance work?

Allstate homeowners insurance covers your home from certain perils in exchange for a premium. In the event of damage from a covered peril, you’ll file a claim, pay a deductible and Allstate pays the rest. Additional insurance coverage is available for events not covered in the traditional homeowners insurance package.

Purchase Allstate homeowners insurance directly from Allstate or through independent agents. Allstate also has a mobile app to get a quote, assess what type and amount of insurance you need and update personal information. Allstate writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Allstate home insurance cost

In general, Allstate homeowners insurance costs are higher than those of other insurance companies. Expect a policy to cost anywhere from $1,250 to $1,650 a year, but important factors like location, size of home and coverage type determine your exact premium. You can request a quote online from Allstate.

What does Allstate home insurance cover?

Allstate’s coverage varies depending on where you live, but expect a homeowners insurance policy with Allstate to cover damage due to:

• Windstorm or hail
  • Fire and smoke
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Water damage from appliances, heating and cooling systems, water heaters and plumbing

A traditional homeowners insurance plan won’t offer coverage for certain perils. However, you can purchase additional coverage from Allstate, such as:

• Flood insurance: Typical Allstate coverage takes care of water damage from an appliance or burst pipe, but not from flooding. If you’re concerned about damage from flooding, consider purchasing flood insurance. In some locations, this type of insurance is required.
  • Earthquake insurance: This insurance covers your home structure and belongings from earthquake damage.
  • Personal umbrella policy: Add this type of policy to cover legal fees and lost wages due to lawsuits from visitors who get injured on your property.

Allstate home insurance discounts

Allstate offers a wide variety of discounts that can substantially lower the price for home insurance premiums.

• Easy Pay Plan: Save 5% by setting up automatic payments.
  • No claims discount: A 20% discount awaits those who haven’t made any recent claims when they switch to Allstate.
  • Bundle discount: Save up to 25% by bundling homeowners insurance with another policy through Allstate, including auto or term life insurance.
  • Age 55 and retired discount: If you’re over 55 and not working, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Welcome discount and loyalty discount: Save up to 10% by switching from another company, and the discount remains in effect throughout your time with Allstate.
  • Early signing discount: Expect up to 10% off when getting a policy at least one week before your current policy expires.
  • Home alarm discount: Have a home alarm? Earn another discount.
  • Roof discount: Hail-resistant roofs may qualify homeowners for a discount.
  • Smoke-free discount: Nonsmokers end up paying less for their policies.
  • Storm shutter discount: Homes with storm shutters have cheaper policies with Allstate.
  • Recent construction or purchase: If your home is newly constructed or you just purchased it, you can get a discount.

Allstate homeowners insurance plans

When you request a quote from Allstate, it will give three quotes: for Basic coverage, Extended coverage and Premium coverage. These are broad terms that may or may not include some of the supplemental insurance add-ons listed below.

• Water backup: Covers a clogged drain or faulty sump pump
  • Green reimbursement: Covers energy-efficient upgrades in your home
  • Scheduled personal property: Covers valuables like antiques, collectibles and jewelry
  • Sports equipment: Covers sports equipment, including bicycles, golf clubs and skis
  • Yard and garden: Covers riding lawn mowers, ornamental plantings, landscaping and trees
  • Business property: Covers items used for a small business run from your home or equipment in a home office
  • Identity theft protection: Covers legal fees and lost wages if your identity is stolen
  • Electronic data recovery: Helps cover lost computer data like family photos or financial records
  • HostAdvantage: Covers damage if renters damage your home or steal your possessions as part of a home-sharing agreement, like with Airbnb

Allstate homeowners insurance FAQ

Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover pitbulls?
Allstate does sometimes give coverage to homes with pitbulls, but this varies by state and local regulations.
Does Allstate homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
No, homeowners insurance from Allstate will not cover foundation repair.
Does Allstate use credit scores for homeowners insurance?
No. In the past, Allstate used credit scores as a factor for homeowners insurance, but it has since ended this practice.
What is Allstate HostAdvantage?
Allstate HostAdvantage provides protection for those who share their home — for example, through Airbnb.

Is Allstate home insurance good?

Allstate homeowners insurance is worth it for those looking to protect their home. It’s easy to get a quote online by submitting your information. We like that you can purchase directly through Allstate’s website or work with a local agent who answers any questions. Prices might be slightly higher than at other homeowners insurance companies, but Allstate offers good coverage.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: June 25, 2020

I was very disappointed when I found out that Allstate added a Roof Surface Replacement Clause to my policy. They claimed it was standard and based on age of home, however NONE of my neighbors, who use other insurance companies, added this to their policies. It was a new subdivision when we moved in, so the they are the same age. In addition, in speaking to roofing companies servicing the area, None of them want to work with Allstate. I would not recommend this company. They are greedy, lack integrity and honor.

Original review: June 24, 2020

After spending 14yrs with Allstate Homeowners insurance, even when they raised my rates over the years I stick with them. Went through two major hurricanes. The only claims they did for me is to replace the shingles on my roof that was caused from a natural disaster. In 2019 I filed another claim for damage to my floor that was caused by a broken water line under my kitchen sink. The damaged was to a room measure 15×18. In December 2019 I received a letter from Allstate that they won't be renewing my homeowner insurance for 2020 because of the safety of my house.

I called Allstate why, they show me pictures from when they came to my house after both hurricanes couple years back from 2019, painted striping from my garage side board, 2×2 inches board that need to be replaced by my window. At a corner there's a piece of board 2"×2" missing at the bottom. In the ceiling there two small cracks that was there from we moved into that house and Allstate was our insurance from day one, but now does cracked is a problem. And So with all of that, they're saying my house is unsafe. SMH. Just because I filed a claim that was not caused by a disaster.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Do not get insurance through these lying thief’s. Mike ** is a lying little man syndrome "adjuster". If he ever comes to a customer of mine's residence he will be sent away. He wants to personal call me an idiot after waiting 3 hours. He cherry picked the square if you wanna call it that. He took 8 sq out of then 100 because I found 5 hits in the area. Oh and apparently he believes you need cougar paws on maybe and this is giving him a lil, 3-12 slop. You cheated these excellent people out of a protected home.

Allstate I promise to tell every single person that uses (well used by you) to cancel. Y’all will never have to buy a roof again. Insurance lies, yes contractors do this for $ just like everyone does at their job. But we do it to serve our communities. Insurance has to approve of our findings. There are sooo many great insurance companies. But stay away from Allstate. & Mike I’m sorry you hate yourself but don’t take it out on the good people.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Not that it matters to anyone at Allstate, after 20 years, we are leaving as customers. Here are the reasons why:

1. You approved a patch job for wind damage to my roof and installed a tarp.
    2. Because of the zipper effect from the initial damage, more shingles fell off and continue to fall off. So much so, an additional 3 tarps had to be placed on the roof. This doesn’t sound like a patch job to me.

3. We had an appointment for an additional tarp (not knowing we needed 3 tarps) to be installed by Sun Glo. Someone from Allstate canceled this appointment without us knowing. It rained again while we waited to have the tarps installed.

4. It has been over 30 days that we have tarps on our roof. Since we had to wait to get the results from the shingle sample I had to mail in.
    5. We did everything we needed to do to expedite this claim including sending a quote for a complete roof recover for $3,800. As of May 13, we were told management would not approve the additional cost for the complete roof recover.

6. It was told to us and Allstate, that more shingles will fall off and further repairs will be needed in the not too distant future.

So I’m to assume, Allstate wants us to pay our $1000 deductible each and every time the roof needs to be “patched”. So instead of paying month after month, year after year for Allstate’s useless insurance, we will pay out of pocket for the roof recover and give our business to another insurance company.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Its so wrong that these insurance companies raise their rates exponentially for no good reason. It started at $500 and was $1,500 within 5 years. They do it because they know most people don't really pay attention to it when it's in escrow. So to avoid it you basically need to switch companies every 3-5 years. Aggravation.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I have had an ongoing problem with Allstate concerning my roof for the last FOUR YEARS! I incurred wind damage from severe thunderstorms on 2 separate occasions which ripped off shingles from my roof. After submitting my claim it would take Allstate 2-3 weeks for them to come out to investigate. I've had over 100 shingles damaged yet Allstate only wanted to piece my roof together instead of replacing it. They have gone as far to send out their INVESTIGATORS, not their claim adjusters to question me. Just recently we encountered another serious thunderstorm which produced high winds and hail and I submitted another claim for my roof. I waited THREE weeks for them to come out and in the end Allstate sent me a letter stating I was submitting a claim for damages that took place TWO YEARS ago!! Allstate is horrible!! They DELAY, DENY, DEFEND!! RUN DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: April 23, 2020

My homeowners insurance again went up this year. My car insurance is paid and most likely going up as usual with no claims sitting in the garage hardly driving I believe with everything going on Allstate is profiting and taking everyone for granted and taking advantage with no remorse to the average hard working Americans.

Original review: April 19, 2020

Strong winds followed by ice and snow damaged my roof. Due to the storm damage in my area, it took 3 weeks for the adjuster to come out. Since the roof was covered with snow and ice, the adjuster did a visual from the ground. Somehow he came up with a repair amount 1/10 of the actual cost and refused to come back to review the damage after the snow melted. Corporate in Texas refused to make any adjustments. After 30 years with Allstate I cancelled my multiple policies. They are nothing but thieves.

Original review: April 18, 2020

Storm and wind damage. We switched our autos and home from State Farm because our friend Referred Allstate, after one month our auto insurance kept increasing and our home. Then we had a roof damaged and a contractor and us agreed Allstate is a very hard company to deal with or get a solution agreeable with us. Delay after delay as our roof sat with a tarp on it. Then was ordered to send a shingle back to Allstate claims for them to send to ITEL and a week later results came back but it wasn’t even our shingle or color or brand, a nightmare and not worth the fuss. A huge mistake and we are not in good hands with Allstate.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I left my long-term insurance company for Allstate. Big mistake! They’re great at making sure you pay your bill however, when it comes to filing a homeowners claim it is a nightmare. They sent out a third-party adjuster because they don’t have adjusters in Washington state. They didn’t like what the third-party adjuster that they sent out had to say because he indicated my roof had wind damage in multiple areas. It took over a month while my roof was leaking for them to finally agree to cover my roof which had lifted shingles and shingles that have been blown off from wind storms. My contractor noticed that there were more OSB boards that had damage from the wind which would end up rotting away in time.

We sent multiple pictures of these additional boards with damage. Allstate wanted him to put a new roof over bad OSB boards. We then sent Allstate another invoice including these boards and they are refusing to pay. This to me is unacceptable! Why would you want to put a new roof on bad boards that are going to be rotting, causing mold, and other issues? Stay away from Allstate insurance, they’re only interested in finding ways around not to pay any type of claim.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company Information