2.08/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Allstate Homeowners Insurance

Allstate sells auto, home, renters, motorcycle and life insurance. Allstate isn't an InsuraMatch partner at this time. To get multiple quotes all at once in less than 10 minutes, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

820 Allstate Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2018

In 2004, my wife accidentally overdosed and died in the house. After 2 weeks I contacted Allstate and was told a claim person would contact me. I called back at least 10 times in 3 months. I never heard back. I was in such a state I just gave up. Now I'm told that my homeowners should have paid out. Is there any way to collect this late in time? Why could they not call me back as I cried all night for many months. Wondering what I was to do now without her after 35 years.

Original review: April 21, 2018

My boyfriend and I have been shopping for a new homeowners insurance policy and were calling a handful of companies to get quotes. We called Allstate two days ago. Talked to a guy and explained to him exactly what we were doing. Here we are three days later calling back to go ahead with the policy. The first guy we talk to comes back with a quote of 500 more than we were originally quoted and emailed so we asked why. His response was he included discounts that we cannot apply... "Is this what you do? You bait and switch?" And he said, "No but sometimes we do."

I asked to speak to a manager and we were hung up on. We call back, explain everything again, asked to be transferred again to be hung up on again. A lady calls us back and after 3 hours of back and forth. She claims the premium changed in the 48 hours time period and they can't honor the original quote and they quote us 500 more. I am in disgust at how they do business and treat people. I just looked at all of their horrible review and I am glad I didn't go with them after all. Please pass this along.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have leaks in my roof from rain and wind damage. I filed a home policy claim after being informed by my regular home repairer. They scheduled the first inspection, and called to claim the job was not done correctly. The second inspector refused any claim for the roof or the interior water damage cause by the leak. I have coverage for both.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We have had Allstate for homeowners for over 35 years. We have not ever made any major high dollar claims. In the past two years we have place 2 claims for roof leakage. The last one was when there was severe storms with hail damage to our screens and a tornado just a few miles away. Each time the Allstate adjuster states we have had only 1-2 shingles blow off yet I have water damage in a bedroom and shingles out in my yard. Two of our neighbors one just across the street and one just two doors down the street have their roof replaced because of this storm!

Both homes are newer than ours. Many other neighbors have had their roofs repaired in the last two years with insurance. He stated to have a handyman go up and replace the shingles on the roof and for us to go in the attic when it rained and caulk the holes! We are filing a complaint with the state insurance commissioner and reaching out to one of the local TV stations who broadcast news on issues such as these. Let's see what Allstate says when a TV newsperson contacts them.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We had a fire in April 2016. We ended up getting swindled into a public adjuster do to his misrepresentation. There was nothing we could do. These public adjusters were in cahoots with the adjusters in the Pa Malvern office. They inflated our estimate so high which didn’t benefit us at all. It only benefitted the adjuster and the restoration company he lied about owning. These public adjuster companies are known to do this and Allstate doesn’t care. We haven’t seen any money from Allstate at all. The public adjusters from Premium Loss did. Signed all the checks and acted as if the homeowner didn't pay the bogus contractor Protect restoration who is not in business any longer. They were a one-man company.

The Allstate estimators came in our home without the homeowner present and did an estimate. They falsified so many things. The age of everything was mostly under 5 yrs. The one adjuster Teresea ** happen to be friends with these public adjusters on social media for several years. Their Adjusters took a $1000 deductible out when it only $500. When they sent a check to reimburse us the check was still under the homeowner and the public adjuster premium loss. We can't cash a lousy $500 check but they could cash a $96,000.000 + another $61,000 + another $31,900 + another $6,800 + another $2,500. Does that seem fair?

They never put any money in escrow either. I'm wrong this because they don't deserve angry stars. They are the worst insurance company out there. Everyone we know is changing to Erie or Liberty Mutual and if I were you I would too. They are thieves and karma is coming for these frauds that work for them. I could go on forever about our fire. They did all this to an 83-year-old woman who doesn't know anything better.

Also they sent a recoverable depreciation check out without any proper invoices. They used a itemized list with an amount and Allstate released this money. This is FRAUD!!! There is no way possible they could have gotten almost the full amount of depreciation when a lot of work wasn't done!!! So so wrong many levels. All work was substandard. Just awful. Attached are pics of what was sent to Allstate in Malvern Pa for the Recoverable depreciation on the Dwelling and Allstate submitted a check for $31,911. They did not submit any invoices for work done. Just a list of work that only some of it was done. Thank you for allowing me to file this complaint. Sincerely, A customer for 58 yrs who had one claim prior and got the shaft!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate?

Original review: April 12, 2018

I've been an Allstate customer (2 Homes and 2 Autos) for greater than 15 years. The unfortunate thing is I've had multiple bad experiences with this insurance company so I'm done. I have finally decided it's best to find an insurance company that really cares about its clients. A few years ago we had a serious storm in our neighborhood. Several of my neighbors needed to get their roof replaced. I called out Allstate and what happens, they denied the claim. Ok, so I said to myself perhaps my roof isn't as bad.

A year or so later I had to call them out again due to water damage in the house from a faulty/cracked roof which should have been identified when the adjuster was on the roof. This time the adjuster says, "Oh, you have a great roof for the age of your house." OMG! Every time that it rains shingles are blown off the house. Please tell me what the definition of great roof is, does it really mean that shingles should be falling off the house during each storm? I sure didn't think so.

House number two, I've noticed that when it rains we get water in the garage that eventually ended up in the house by way of the laundry room. I called out a chimney company because it seemed to possibly coming from that area. No problem, let me just get a new chimney cap is what I said to myself. The chimney company comes out and does a water test. They determined that there's water coming in from the chimney and also the roof. They also advised me to call the insurance company and have them figure out all of the ways I have water coming in. After paying to get the chimney cap put on I called out Allstate because of the damage inside the house and the fact that the chimney company said there's water coming in from several areas.

Allstate comes out gets on the roof, looks at the internal damage, takes a few pictures, looks in the attic, and then says they will contact me later in the day with the findings. Well, as you already suspect the adjuster calls me to say, "Sorry, but your claim is denied due to seepage." WHAT?! You have to be kidding me! This company seems to deny more claims than they approve, this is awful customer service. I am now shopping for another insurance carrier. Best of luck to anyone who keeps this insurance provider. They don't care about their customers.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have had Allstate for several years now, so I do not take this lightly. I am not just getting on here to write a bad review after one bad experience. It's been multiple problems over the span of 8 years. Their rates are astronomical. Completely bogus. I have had THE WORST agent known to man, Donna ** in Maumelle, Arkansas. She's not retired so it does no good mentioning her name, but her successor Jason ** isn't any better. First, I got a new car and was quoted $140 per month and even paid that amount in advance of my first automatic draft. Well, a month passes and I get refunded that $140 and a new draft is taken from my bank. $180!! PER MONTH FOR A DINKY LITTLE KIA SOUL! I was horrified.

No explanation, no call, NOTHING. And the rate goes up at least $25 a year. It's just nuts. And my house is 15 years old. We had 4 large hail storms in the last year. Everyone in my neighborhood got new roofs. I had 25 adjusters come by (common after hail storms, I know) and all have told me the same thing: You needed a new roof before the last hail storm! It has pockmarks all over it, loose shingles, and every time it rains there is a new pile of roof shingle gravel on my sidewalk and at the base of my gutter drains.

The Allstate adjuster came to approve or deny our claim and it was denied! They are trying to base our problems (which are CLEARLY hail damage) on "faulty installation." Give me a break! That isn't the case. Funny enough, this happened not 1 week after I read an article detailing how Allstate provides the worst customer service among American Home Insurers and that they recently underwent training to help them pin problems on things they aren't responsible for fixing and to help the company save 40% in total payouts for the year. I think we see the real reason they denied my claim. I am currently shopping for new insurance.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I've had my home and auto insurance on Allstate for over 10 years. Last year, I filed a hail damage claim on my partial tin roof and received about $1200 estimate from Allstate, which was $1500 less than the amount received from a local contractor (a friend of mine). I didn't think it was worth extra money and worried it would increase the premium so I decided to keep the dented roof, cancelling the claim request.

A few weeks ago, due to a windstorm that hit the NE region, I had 19 shingles blown away from one side of my roof. There was only one shingle damaged on the other side of the roof but my contractor recommended replacement saying the nails are loose and the roof shingles could be damaged with ease. In addition, the plastic clip that holds the windows in rail got broken in two locations. An initial suggestion from my contractor was replacing the shingles on both sides of roof. There was no part available for the windows.

It took almost a week to bring a third party inspector assigned by Allstate. The first estimate from Allstate (Claim Rep: Shavonne) was $640, or $140 after a $500 deductible. Rather offended, I appealed until an Allstate rep Brittany ** asked for a written estimate from my contractor. I had forwarded a $7150 quote to Brittany, including replacement of two windows.

After a few missed calls, she finally offered $3000 for shingle replacement only on half of the roof. I asked for her manager and was connected to a rep named John **. He basically said the same thing she said, repeating Allstate doesn't pay for non-visible claims. I explained what the contractor told me but was responded I would have to file claims every time loose shingles got blown away, paying a $500 deductible. He also denied the window claim saying it was maintenance issue.

I offered a conversation between my contractor and Allstate's estimator but John ** rejected this request saying I have to provide a written estimate describing the 'invisible damage'- the loose shingles, which means you have to spend your own money to hire the contractor to go up to the roof. I felt they would make every excuse to reduce or delay the process, until you get tired of the process.

That was the end. I didn't feel it was worth my time talking with these people. Allstate's strategy is to deny or undervalue the damage in the beginning then wait until the customer gets fed up. I tried to describe the situation as subjective as I could, so I didn't elaborate how many phone calls and how much time it took until I got here. The claim was filed on March 3, and the final call with John ** happened on Apr. 3.

If you have an experience with roof damage, you'd understand how frustrating it is to keep the damaged roof covered with a tarp. I tried my best to expedite this process, but ended up receiving just $2500 to replace the half of my roof after the $500 deductible. Allstate's motto is 'You're in good hands'. You figure it out. BTW, when I was checking around for other insurance companies, I found out their quotes were about $200 lower than Allstate's.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I am a project manager and handle customer damage claims, I could tell you that Allstate is the worst company to deal with, their adjusters don't give a damn about you or anyone else never return calls and always lowball the adjustment. Is hard to get them to pay a fair amount for anything. They also use third party inspectors that don’t know they’re doing, going on to 2 weeks now since we started the claim to have a roof replaced and have not heard from these irresponsible crooks yet. All they want is your money. Stay away from ALLSTATE.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Horrible company if you actually need them to pay a claim. I have had auto, home, boat, and business policies with Allstate for over ten years. I have never had to file a claim with any of my policies until last month. After paying in tens of thousands of dollars to them I filed a claim for damage to my roof. The two adjusters they sent out did not actually go up and inspect my roof but had a unlicensed flunky go up and report to the adjuster who waits on the ground what they saw. I had my contractor on site pointing out to the unlicensed worker the damage during both inspections. They didn't agree with my contractor about the damage.

I pointed out to Allstate that they need to send a actually licensed adjuster to go up and inspect my roof. I was treated by their customer service reps with unprofessional, condescending attitudes. I will start looking for other insurance companies today to give my business and will let others know of my very unpleasant experience with Allstate. You never know how good or horrible your insurance company is until you need them. Allstate won't be there for you.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have had homeowners insurance for 18 years. Filed 2 claims. I filed a claim due to the roof damages again. This is the second claim for roof damages. The first claim they didn’t pay for either which was back in 2015. Today a company came out for the insurance company to take pictures while the adjuster was on Skype, and said she would get back with us. However she did just that with a settlement for $58.00 when we have gotten quotes from several different companies saying the roof needs to be replaced. Let’s not forget that the company that came out said we need to put a tarp on the roof so no more Damages is done. So they know the damages are there. The roof is leaking enough it has made places in my ceiling. My deductible is $250.00. I would not recommend this company to anyone, and I’m currently looking for new homeowners insurance.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I received a estimate in the mail. The insurance looked great. I made a phone call to the local agent in De Pere Wisconsin The Prill agency and from the quoted rate the actual “went up over $500 on homeowners insurance alone. Let alone mentioning how much it went up on automobile insurance. This is the company I will never do business with again. They implemented what is known as the bait and switch they send you a piece of paper from the agency saying this is customized to your house and when you actually call them they switch it. I would advise if you need insurance for your home or auto to call anyone except Allstate. They truly are not a good hands people.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I had a homeowner's policy with Allstate for fifteen years and never filed a single claim, after making approximately three repairs to my roof out of my own pocket due to storm damage and an aging roof, I finally filed a claim for a roof replacement after having a certified roofer inspect and finding extensive damage from storms and wind. An Allstate representative came out and denied the claim, stating he only found minor damage that could be repaired for less than my deductible. I was warned by several different roofing companies that Allstate would deny my claim as they are very well known to do. After fifteen years as a loyal customer, when I needed them they were not there. I cancelled them, paid for my own roof and went with a better more reliable company.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I reported to Allstate that my wood floor in kitchen was buckled due to water damage caused by mouse eating thru water line to ice maker. They refused to cover damage because they said leak had been going on for a few weeks based on condition of wood. I called them as soon as I realized the problem. There was no water on floor. I think this is awful service, especially since I am a 20 year customer. Apparently they would have paid if the floor was less buckled, although the repair to floor would still be needed even with a little buckling. It's not as if the leak had been going on for months. I can't report what I don't see.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Allstate sent us a quote by mail. I called to confirm the price. Allstate will not stand by their own quote. Erika ** admitted the letter is just a scheme to get you to call them. Erika's name is signed to the letter giving you the impression that the agent wrote the quote but it's computer generated.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Took me 35 years to figure that this company does not care about their customers, after reading all kinds of negative reviews, I decided to share my problem with them. All my family is insured by Allstate, house and cars, 6 months ago during a Hail/Windstorm our house roof got damaged and there were a few houses around the street that got their roof replaced within 2 months, none of the homeowners have insurance with Allstate only us.

Allstate spent thousands sending Adjusters and making estimates that didn't even covered our deductible, I had 5 different contractors give me estimates and all said the same thing, the roof needs to be replaced and that the insurance needs to pay. Hired a public adjuster and after (6 months) Allstate finally decided they are going to pay, sent a check to the public adjusters which went out of business. Now they are telling me I need to seek legal action to get the money they sent them and that they could not cancel the check sent to the adjusters, trying to tell me that they discourage getting a 3rd party involved in claims, when the reason why I had to do it was because they basically denied my claim. I got the Texas Department of Insurance involved in the hopes that they do something about this insurance companies.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Our home flooded 10 days ago. An adjuster has not even shown up yet. I called him Monday and he said he would be here today 9-10. Called at 9:10 and said he is running late and leaving Paris soon. Paris is 1h and 10 min away. Missing my 5th day of work and I have a meeting at 1:00. Nothing but issues and being jerked around. I have never heard of an adjuster taking 10 days to show up and being so unprofessional! We also have been increased approx $1000 in the last 3 years!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

To all who have had issues with Allstate on claims, unsubstantiated or significant rate changes, unfair/shady practices, you have a free option at your disposal for help. Every state has a Commissioner of Insurance who oversees a State Corporation Commission. You can file a claim via form on their website. Their job is to ensure that citizens are provided with access to adequate and reliable insurance protection; that the insurance companies selling policies are financially sound to support payment of claims; that the agents selling company policies are qualified and conduct their business according to statutory and regulatory requirements, as well as acceptable standards of conduct; and that the insurance policies are of high quality, are understandable and are fairly priced.

My state has a Homeowners Guide on their website as well for more details. They even provide a number for you to call to ask questions about the claim process. Filing valid claims through the Bureau is not what Insurance Companies want. It's essentially an audit! After 30 years of using Allstate for homeowners and auto policies, I've had less than a handful of minimum claims submitted. There was one minor claim in the last 12 years which paid out. It wasn't until I filed a claim last year that I was notified of a 6 month rate increase of $190!!! That is a 25% increase to my original 6 month premium. Here's the kicker - the claim was denied.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

As a cancer patient on disability I have to live within a very constraining budget, of which I personally explained numerous times in the office to my agent’s rep that was writing my policy. I had disclosed I price shopped using the same coverage with their competitors. Having had State Farm since initial construction of this home we were fully aware of replacement costs. September 27, 2017, I paid in full, coverage for our home and two vehicles. December 26, 2017, I received an email they were going to electronically withdrawal an additional $653.00 from our account (We had paid in full for one year homeowners insurance and 6 month vehicle coverage). This withdrawal was to be initiated January 2, 2018. I called the rep who had worked with me in September and she recalled my numerous visits to their office prior to purchasing said policies.

Now, three months later, I’m notified that my home is underinsured by over $40,000 dollars. She told me I needed to pay or cancel when I explained I did not have access to said monies they were requesting and that I felt they should have notified me much earlier and waited for the adjuster before offering me services and collecting said funds. An ironic note to this, the extra money they claim needs to be paid to insure my home is approximately the difference between Allstate and the other companies I was shopping. Now I have 20 days to pay their demanded increase, of which I do not have.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I selected Allstate Insurance for my mobile home insurance company going through RideNow Insurance Company located in Tempe AZ. My payments were supposed to be $39 a month. I paid 3 months of payments in advance which I paid through RideNow Insurance Company. After they received my money I received an email from Allstate raising my premium to $62 a month. I called my insurance agent Jordan at RideNow to call Allstate to see what was going on. Jordan from RideNow called me back to tell me a Inspector came out and I had more steps going up to my front door, and a front covered porch and a carport by the back door.

If Jordan had done her homework she would have known this. I found another company with a much lower price with better coverage and had an inspector come out. When I cancelled Allstate with Jordan at RideNow Insurance I was told that Allstate would be issuing me a check for $5... although I still had a $60 credit per Allstate's email they sent to me. So Allstate decided to keep my money. I will never use Allstate again. And Jordan at RideNow Insurance is not very good either. What a RIPOFF! Unless you like giving your money away... all I can say is beware. I paid 3 mos in advance so I could have some breathing time after Christmas. I guess Allstate Insurance and RideNow Insurance thought I was making a donation to their company when I wasn't. Nothing like stealing from the disabled.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Recently received a card from the agency in Kalamazoo. I went there to get a better rate on my 4 home insurance policy, which were all insured previously by other insurance companies. Got the quote sounded great. Then started getting cancellation notices from each home they insured. Every time I try to call no one answers and no one returns my calls. I can't get any money back from them. Paid 3 months in advance for insurance on a home they never insured, yet still will not give me my money back. They have a poor way of running their business, I feel that they shouldn't have said they would insure them if they had no plan on keeping their word. As I said, all were insured with other companies before I moved to Allstate. They are horrible.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I selected Allstate after they gave me a quote on my home insurance. I paid my premium in full one week before it was due. Two months later they came back with another bill stating my square foot was changed. I disagreed, but no one returned my calls. Now after I went with a different company, they sent the bill to a collection agency. No one is will to help me either from the local Minneapolis agent or the main office. I would stay from this company at al cost.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I own a condo in an apartment complex and had a leak from an above unit destroy my bathroom. I immediately reported it to my management company and they advised it was a toilet leak from above unit. Shortly after I was contacted by the above tenant's Metlife insurance policy that they will cover me. After waiting for a few weeks Metlife said they aren't covering me. Allstate told me that since they have admitted guilt to file a claim and they will reimburse me for the damages and then pursue Metlife. An adjuster came to the property whom hated his job and his life. Basically said they won't cover me because the damage is worse since it first occurred and I didn't report it in time. So I was trying to pursue Metlife so Allstate wouldn't have to pay and got screwed because there is apparently some type of time frame to report a leak. Now they are both getting sued.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

On 11/5/2017 a macroburst (straight line winds) caused siding, gutter, roof and window damage to the exterior of my home. I called Allstate the next day and an adjuster came out on 11/14/2017. He gave me a check for $2,100 to cover the cost to replace (4) windows, gutter, siding fascia and 25 shingles. Labor for the roof was estimated at $12.58, siding $206.09, and gutter $30.29. I wonder what contractor would replace the shingles for $12.58? No labor was given for the window replacements. I have only been with Allstate for one year. The previous 34 years I had been with State Farm. You are definitely not in good hands with Allstate.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I purchased a loss assessment rider from Allstate Insurance as part of my condo policy. My agent said this coverage had no exclusions and covered all legitimate loss assessment claims. Our condo community was hit with a huge hail storm and it damaged all the roofs. Our association levied a $5000 assessment against all 100 owners. Allstate denied my claim, and the only other homeowner that also had Allstate that filed a claim. They denied the my claim because as part of replacing the roofs, gutters and flashing had to be updated to current code in our city. The code improvements are required and less than 5% of the total repair cost, but Allstate still denied the claim. My agent told me that Allstate has been denying all loss assessment claims that she has seen in recent months.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

When Hurricane Sandy hit, a large tree fell on our home. The people we spoke with on the phone were polite and courteous, but that was the only part of the experience that was good. The adjuster they sent was by far one of the worst, unprofessional people I have ever dealt with. Only gave us half of amount of money we needed to repair our home. After being a customer for over 25 years, and never filing a single claim, that's how we were treated. Definitely not in good hands, no follow up, no returned phone calls. I would never recommend Allstate, extremely disappointed. The adjuster was from Texas and was completely clueless. Don't use Allstate, they are absolutely the worst. My home is still not finished, I needed, by multiple estimates over $20,000.00 to repair the home properly. They gave us just over $10,000.00. What a ripoff.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

During the course of my homeowner's claim filing, I had 4 different representatives, 3 different adjuster, spoke with 2 managers to report my slow and unprofessional claims processing after 1 month time frame to receive 0 dollars. Guess what Allstate you need to remove your ad about great claims service or money back guarantee on WHAT...

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have been an Allstate customer for 34 years and I have never filed a claim. In March of 2017 we had high winds and damaged our roof. The inspector came out and filed the report. The claim was denied because the roof is old. I have been grandfathered in with replacement insurance and they will not pay for the roof. I am looking for a new insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

The heat exchanger in my Lennox pulse furnace, junk, developed a hole in it. I was told it was from a design defect in the casting process. I called Allstate, explained the problem, as it was explained to me, and was told, by four different agents, that I would be covered, so I authorized removal & replacement of the furnace. Two hours after I told the furnace service people they could begin work Allstate calls me back and tells me I'm not covered, now I'm out $5000 dollars.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

As a senior citizen, I am stunned at the dismissive Allstate has treated my storm damages. Hurricane enforced winds & rain on 9/11/17, caused garage roof leaking water in walls and ceilings. Ceilings and walls, floors saturated then adjuster shows up 17 days later and speculate that roof damage probably wasn't from rainstorm that had last for over 16 hours. I am beyond disappointed. 34 days later still have blue tarp on roof, wood floors darken, ceiling and walls cut open. My house looks a wreck. So depressing. Paid my premiums on time for over 17 years, then mistreated when I am need. Can't imagine what other Senior Citizens are experiencing nationwide.

Allstate Homeowners Insurance Company Information