Alfa Auto Insurance
Based on 133 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Alfa Auto Insurance

Members of Assisted Living Federation of America (ALFA) can get auto insurance through ALFA Insurance. The company doesn't participate in ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch. To get quotes from verified partners, call InsuraMatch today.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

147 Alfa Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I changed all my car insurance to Alfa Auto Insurance in August of 2016 because the low balled State Farm. The first six months they went up. I was told the reason was there were additional days in the next six months. I was never told a price based on daily rate. Anyway - had an accident. They canceled my insurance on all four of our vehicles including our Harley which I do not have a license to drive. Never ever use Alfa. They doubled charged me for one day. I went back with State Farm. Thank goodness and will never leave them again. Wanted to give everyone a heads up on how they will low ball other insurance companies and then go up on you.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

My car was hit by their client - They never return any of my calls! Then when I finally talk to someone she was nasty. I just felt like everything was so unprofessional. Her supervisor was the worst. What a nightmare???

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I have had insurance with Alfa Auto Insurance for over 20 years. I have never filed a claim against my insurance in those 20+ years. I have a clean driving record with no speeding tickets. I just turned 56 years old (I thought your rates lowered as you got older) I got my bill last month and my insurance rate has increased from $130.00 per month to $170.00 per month. I do not understand why my rate was increased $40 per month. I think this is ridiculous. Looking for another insurance carrier this week.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

2 claims on two of our cars on 10/25/17 at 3:30 pm. As I was making a right hand turn I was hit on the right side. After the other person would not pay I turned to Alfa my company. Wrong. They would not cover me because I was delivering newspaper for a friend, now I may lose my license from my State cause Alfa told them I was not insurance when the accident happen. They told the Indiana BMV that I had NO insurance.

December 16, 2017 my Wife's car was rear ended while it was parked. Nobody damaged but it was pushed 10 to 12 inches forward that it broke the left axle and the tranny would not go into drive or reverse and park is out. They do not like to pay and they like to drag their feet on doing anything they did. Call it a totaled lost and only gave her $50.00 for her car. Just in luck we had Gap Coverage to cover the loan. This company needs to be put out of business.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Florida residents traveling to Ohio when the accident occurred. Type of Claim: Automobile: Collision - Rear end. I hope to never EVER have to deal with Alfa Auto again. The crash occurred 11/10/17 at 5:55 AM when we were rear-ended by a driver who had fallen asleep at the wheel. Fast-forward to the claims process. We ultimately ended up going through our own insurance company, USAA, who will subrogate the repair charges on our behalf. We chose to go with our insurance because we were unable to begin a claim with Alfa Auto. However, once we initiated the claim with USAA the Alfa’s estimator reached out to us. By that time, we had already taken our vehicle to a USAA-supported collision center for estimated damages and scheduled for a drop-off date to repair.

Unfortunately, 11/10/17 was the begin leg of our trip. We live in Florida and were driving up to Ohio with our two kids for my father-in-law’s funeral. The crash pushed us behind schedule, so we did not seek medical care. Plus, my wife is a physician and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Looking back, we should have at least went and documented our visit. Especially knowing the hoops we've had to jump through just to get a rental car. We did not return to Florida until 11/17/17. Moreover, and we were left with no other option than to drive back in the same vehicle we were rear-ended in. Alfa Auto seemed too indifferent to our situation.

Once we returned to Florida, the earliest we could schedule the vehicle to the repair shop was 12/11/17 – a whole month after-the-fact. Up until that point, Alfa refused to pay for a rental car and insisted that they would only pay for the period of days that the vehicle was in the repair shop. But this was not even the worst of it. It is now 12/18/17, and we have our rental until 12/22/17. Just received a call from the repair shop suggesting that they are not scheduled to complete the repairs until at least 12/28/17. Knowing that this was a likely outcome (especially during the holidays nearing the end of the month), I have spent the past two weeks, on and off, trying to get Alfa Auto to pay for the extended rental fees. Additionally, this has really thrown a wrench into our holiday travel plans. We had scheduled to travel back up north (Ohio and Indiana) to visit with family. I have been on the phone insisting that their ‘policy’ is unrealistic and unfair.

At the end of the day, we ended up coming out of pocket to extend our rental until 1/2/18. This is because we refuse to let this incident interrupt our time with family. It is just sooo frustrating that businesses do stuff like this. Honestly, it is the only reason I am posting. I have probably made six consumer reviews over the past fifteen years (both, good and bad).

To recap, 11/10/17: We were rear-ended by a vehicle going 60 mph on the highway by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel traveling well over 60 mph (considering the damages sustained). Our vehicle remained operable but the other was disabled. 12/11/17: the earliest we could get our car in the repair shop. (Alfa would not pay for rental up to this date.*** received a total of $375.00 to reimburse us for what the perceived shop time. When I asked what happens when the repairs run into the New Year, the reply was more or less an interpretation that by cashing the check they have assumed that we have accepted that as the final payment.

I extended our rental until 1/2/17 so we did not have to wait day-to-day for updates on the repairs and miss spending the holiday season with family. Insurance carriers, let alone businesses, should not be able to treat people like this. I hope you read this and exclude Alfa Auto from your list of insurance carriers that you solicit quotes from in the future. P.S. More than happy to share whatever documents that I have on the accident as proof. Moreover, to share transcripts of my conversations with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alfa?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Filing a claim took a long time, and then after that, (no fault no ticket) insurance payment doubled. From day one Alfa Auto Insurance made a major mistake on my bank deduction and when I found it, this was difficult to clear up.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Worst customer service. It has been more than a month that I've been waiting for a check. Every time I called the customer service they treat me like crap or they hang up on me. My car is not in a good condition after the accident and it's getting worse. After my problem is resolved I will change this crappy insurance.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

If we could give neg stars, I would. This review is based on an accident that occurred on a Friday morning around 6:45 AM, streets were wet with rain just ending. My car was stopped at a red light when a driver with Alfa Vision Insurance ran into the rear of our vehicle. The collision caused both of his (the Alfa Insured) front airbags to deploy & the Alfa Insured was cited.

The rear bumper and drivers side rear wheel well is pushed into tire resulting in the car not being drivable. The claim advocate/owner does not answer her phone or return phone calls. After researching for a phone number (877-384-7466) and with a claim number in hand, I finally reached a live person but, not the claim advocate/owner and we were authorized a rental car; some three days after the accident. However, there was no information provided as to when an appraiser will look at the car.

Wanting to get the car repaired, we tried to find out when an appraiser will come and appraise the damage so the vehicle could be towed to the body shop. Today, one week later, I did get to talk to Supervisor who was of little help. However, I did get 2 phone number (one of them being disconnected with the other going to voicemail) of an Independent Appraiser. I called to Supervisor a 2nd time and she did comment that if I wanted to, I could go through my insurance. She stated if we wish to have Alfa Vision to work the claim; we would have to wait for their independent adjuster. To wrap this up: the accident occurred over 7 days ago, our car not drivable, it is sitting in the garage waiting for who knows how long before an adjuster does the appraisal. Once this claim is settled, a complaint to the state will follow.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I have been a customer with ALFA for over 17 years and picked that account up from my father who has had service with them even longer. I have the payment drafted every month so I do not have to worry about getting the bill in on time due to me traveling for work. A few months ago I noticed my monthly draft wasn't coming out and when I called them they stated I had not paid my $29/year membership fee and had discontinued my insurance! I had moved during the time and never even seen a bill come through. I then asked them about getting it reinstated and they gave me an astronomical fee so I left and went with a different carrier. I am absolutely disgusted with their customer service. They lost a lifetime customer over $29, which they could have easily drawn from my account.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

This by far the worse insurance company to deal with. Last month our vehicle was hit and the person driving gave us the insurance information for this company. We filed a claim so we could get the repairs fixed. It was a joke try to get a hold of them. Once we contacted our insurance company and they would be able to get right through to the agent. Took almost two weeks for an insurance adjuster to come look at the damages when he did finally come it was on a Wed. and that week on a Fri. we get told our claim was denied 'cause the person driving the vehicle wasn't listed on the insurance. So now we are screwed out of getting our car fixed 'cause of someone driving the vehicle and not listed on the insurance. We shouldn't have to pay out a deductible and have our insurance rates go up for a wreck that wasn't our fault.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

One of their insured hit my family from behind while they were stopped at a red light. The adjusters refuse to return calls or emails, we've had to fight to hear anything from them. Meanwhile, we are stuck with no transportation and I have serious health issues and we have a 7 year old. I see from reviews it's a common issue so might I suggest we all pull together and file a class action lawsuit??

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Absolute worst experience ever! They deserve a big fat zero! My story started when I decided I was going to shop around for better rates. My oldest son had 2 tickets and he also hit a pole in a parking deck so we knew we would have to pay more however I felt like I could get a better deal so I started looking. I called my local Alfa Office, gave them all of our information, including driver's license numbers and social security numbers. They quoted me a price of $384.91 which was less than the $450.00 that my current insurance company was going to charge me so I agreed. They even told me that if I moved my home owners policy to them it would drop it to $351.00 per month. I paid a 38.00 fee to join their "Farmer's Federation" and paid my $384.91. I signed all documents electronically and they sent back my insurance cards.

About 3 weeks later I received a call stating that since my oldest son had 2 tickets and hit the pole in the parking deck they refused to cover him under our policy. He couldn't even drive our cars. She said that when they originally ran his driver's license that the wreck didn't come up. I found out later that they typed in his driver's license number wrong. However, I told her initially that he had 2 tickets and had hit a pole in a parking deck. They offered him a high risk policy for $157.00 a month and she told me that should make our monthly premium go down if we move him off but, she would have to find out how much and call me back.

Finally after 2 days waiting to hear something I called them back. She was at lunch but, did call me back and left me a voicemail stating matter of fact like that our policy was going to be $423.00 a month and our son's would be $157.00. I called her back immediately and found out that they punish you if you have a driver that lives in your house that they consider high risk. Your whole family becomes high risk even though they won't allow the high driver to even drive any of your cars but, the one that is covered under the high risk policy that he is on. They gave us 10 days to switch my son to his own policy or find other coverage. When I got home from work the day all of this happened I had a revised policy from Alfa in my mailbox stating that my new payment was $405.00 a month for all 4 of us to be on this policy. There was no mention of my oldest son going on a separate policy or being high risk.

I called the agent and she had no answers as to why I received this. She said she tried to call her boss and couldn't get him. It was about a week of back and forth, they would go days and not call or give me any update. I would call them back and they would say they were trying to figure out what went wrong. I told the agent that I had not received anything in writing stating that our oldest son would be taken off our policy and put on a high risk policy. She said most people just like to have someone call them and give them information and they don't want it in writing. I find that strange or maybe I am strange but, I like it in writing.

By this time it was time for my automatic draft to come out. I asked them to take my policy off of automatic draft since I would not be renewing with them and I needed that money to secure another policy. They said they couldn't do that. They said they would have to let it draft then they would reimburse me when I cancelled. I had a fit and the agent made several calls and after a day of back and forth they agreed to take it off of auto draft. They wouldn't even refund me the 38.00 that I paid to join the Farmer's Federation. Also, I cancelled my policy on the 30th of the month, the day before the policy ended on the 31st and I have yet to receive a refund. I'm sure it would be a very small amount however, it is the principle of the matter.

The best part of this ordeal is that it led us to USAA for coverage where they determined that our oldest son was not a high risk driver (the accident where he hit the pole only did damage to our car, so no penalty) and his policy (he just graduated from college so we put his car in his name) is $63.00 a month for way more coverage than Alfa offered. Additionally, the other 3 of us are on a policy that is $284.00 a month for way more coverage as well. It appears to me that Alfa is very crooked and I would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Full coverage insurance on 2002 well maintained SUV with recent inspection. On my way to babysit grandchild family of deers was at the turning point and dodging caused the bottom to hit the pavement that caused the differential to break. Had car towed by A1 and all personal belongings were missing and empty glove compartment with important papers missing including registration card. They first denied moving anything, second it is in a box, third Alfa refused to deal with their towing company after admitting the Envoy was totaled.

Week later received call "mechanical failure from an oil leak", not true just inspected week or so. Returned vehicle, never compensated. A Rep affiliated with them told me "number 1 excuse they're going to tell you is mechanical failure to avoid the payoff". This company is not ethical and should stop saying based on religion. DO NOT USE THIS CON ARTIST TACTIC. Go to a honest and legit company. Don't recommend family or friends for the pricing.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I had an accident in June, 2016. I was cited for running a light, but I feel like the other party ran the light, as I was t-boned. I didn't have insurance on my car, and subsequently, my license was suspended. I was forced to maintain FR (financial responsibility bond) for 3 years, and very few insurance companies in Ohio will work with you on this without charging very large premiums.

I found Alfa on the internet, and their prices, while somewhat high, were lower than most, and I was able to secure my Sr22 bond with the state of Ohio. But since, I have had very negative experiences with Alfa. Their customer service is terrible, very rude, and you cannot get the information you require without haggling with them for a while. Very unprofessional. I hate this company, and after reading other reviews, I gather I'm not the only one.

I will be seeking a new company ASAP. Paying a higher premium for a FR bond with legal financial limits will be well worth it to have a reputable company behind me. Alfa should not be in business, and I don't see how they have not been closed down yet. My advice to everyone: Do NOT pay these people for insurance coverage; it seems like a total scam to me, and it seems as though they do not want to pay anything for their customers, even with the proper documentation. Very disappointing, to say the least.

Original review: July 18, 2017

My daughter and I were hit by a drunk driver that was insured by Alfa. The driver was arrested and charged with DUI and hit and run, as he left the scene of the accident. He was found just a few minutes later after the accident at his residence and arrested. I was given his insurance information by the arresting officer. I have been in contact with Alfa, they came to my house to do an estimate and I haven't heard from them since. I have left multiple messages for Sean, my claims guy, who doesn't return calls. Then after a week of calling and no response from Sean, he then goes on vacation. He left names and contact information of other claims people while he is out, but they don't return calls either.

The last time I talked to someone at Alfa, they said I was more than welcome to file a claim with my own insurance company instead. I was appalled... Why would I want my insurance to cover it when their driver did nothing wrong? Furthermore, I don't have another car to drive while mine is in the shop so I need Alfa to do the right thing and cover my car repairs and cover a rental car like they said they would. I am not leaving any more messages for them, as I have done all I can, I am at a point that I have to simply contact an attorney.

Original review: June 10, 2017

My wife was hit by an Alfa insured driver 10 days ago and the ALFA agent is impossible to get either on email or phone. The other party was clearly charged with "failing to yield the right of way" and all they will say is "responsibility is still in question". Meanwhile we are out of a car since it is not drivable. What is it with this company. I worked for an insurance company for 32 years and I have never seen such unprofessional service. Get on the ball ALFA, and do the right thing.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Alfa is still pretty new to me but they are fair priced. They take the money out of my debit card on the same day every month. I did research before I decided on them and they had a good rating.

Original review: May 21, 2017

My overall experience with Alfa has been positive. For example, I wasn't aware the company had transitioned to an outside provider for towing services. I experienced mechanical failure and paid for 2 tows. Afterwards, when I submitted my receipts for payment the company still honored the receipts and reimbursed me for my expenses. Also, I like the fairness and availability of my agent's office.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I was in an accident with a person who has Alfa Insurance. I wasn't even in the car and she backed into me causing damage to my fender and my rim. Every time I try to call the claims adjuster all I get is voicemail. And they didn't send enough money for my car to be repaired properly. This is the suckiest insurance company I have ever had to deal with.

Original review: April 24, 2017

My neighbor hit my car while he was parking. He has filed a claim for the same. I was waited for quite long to get a call from the Alfa, then I started calling them. I was calling them more than 10 times per day and recorded my concerns. No action on my request, no callback or nothing as of now.

Original review: March 29, 2017

My son's friend jumped in my car last Saturday night and never came back. A deputy sheriff got in touch with me on Sunday morning. Said my vehicle had been found stuck in the mud and the boy that took off in my car the boy was out of the car had been driving on suspended license but he didn't charge him because he was out of the car. So ok it had been wrecked, the belt was off of it and tow truck driver said when he got there the car was hot from where the boy had been trying to get the car out all night of the mud with the belt thrown off.

Long story short the adjuster more or less called me a liar today. Said he called the boy's mother and the mother said "no he was out of town that night" after a sheriff got in touch with me and told me he had this boy and his mother was coming after him. I hate this company. I would not recommend to anyone. I'm changing as soon as this is settled. I do not like being called a liar!!! The theft adjuster Brad was very unprofessional.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I had an accident on Oct. 27th, 2015. A drunk driver passed me while I was making a left-hand turn. He was running 70 in a 45 zone. My estimated speed was 5 mph. He had no license or insurance. Today is March 17th, 2017. Let's just say all I received from them was a car payoff of 9600 and I owed 13k so I'm stuck with the remaining balance of 4400 hundred bucks and 5000 for medical bills which was on my insurance policy. When I first asked about my medical pay they said, "We don't pay that to you. We pay your bills with that." So then I got a lawyer. It took over a year to receive money for medical pay. That's even with my lawyer.

My lawyer has been calling and calling. He tried contacting Alfa attorney with numerous emails and left countless numbers of voicemails. He only talked to Alfa lawyer twice out of almost 2 years. He sent forms for the lawyer to answer so we can get a trial date since we can't settle because they're trying to lowball me sooooo bad. The lawyer refuse to fill out the forms. We finally got a court order to make him fill out the paperwork and answer questions in front of a judge so we can go forward. DO NOT GET ALFA. THEY TREAT YOU LIKE TRASH. THEY'RE UNPROFESSIONAL AND GIVE ZERO CARES ABOUT YOU OR YOUR PROPERTY. Long as you pay them and don't have any accidents you'll be fine. I give them a negative 6 stars.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I was rear ended on 09/7/16 by an Alfa Specialty Insurance insured. I had to set up my own rental car which I had from 10/6/16-11/2/16. I paid $781.74 out of pocket. Alfa Specialty Insurance is refusing to pay the entire amount stating they only pay 11 days. The adjuster Jason wouldn't return numerous calls or emails made to him. How would I know they only pay 11 days? At no time during the time I had the car rental did Jason contact me. I feel they owe me the entire amount. What was I to drive while my car was being repaired. This was a horrible experience with this company. The adjuster Jason was unprofessional to work with the entire time. He wouldn't return calls or emails.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I have been with Alfa for 8 yrs and I have had road side assistance. I received a call stating, "Oh well we canceled your roadside for excessive use." I have paid and never used roadside until I moved to Atlanta, GA about 5 yrs ago. I got another car to save gas but my tires kept blowing out. Long story short that issue has been resolved, but called and asked how long before I can get roadside back and was told 3 yrs. REALLY!!! My insurance policy keeps going up for no reason, no explanation but you removed roadside. Called, asked, and was told, "Oh it's on $.40 more and it's been removed." How it went from 232.00 to 243.00??? I looking for a new insurance company. I wish I could give zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

We were rear-ended on December 17th by a minor. My wife was sent to the ER via ambulance. The kid was cited for following too close. We were at a dead stop and he pushed us over 2 feet on dry pavement. I obtained a police report which included his insurance company. I filed a claim with his insurance and waited for a call. I got the call, just not the one I wanted. The other driver did not have insurance at all. Their coverage had lapsed and they did not renew. I have called daily since then to notify Alfa about this. No reply. No emails returned. I have called 8 times today and left voicemails each time. I have sent numerous emails. I am now getting an attorney involved. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Even if they are your insurance, they will not follow up, they will not contact you, etc. God forbid you get hit by one of their customers. I am cancelling this crap as soon as I can. If I could give 1/4 star I would do it. They are **!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

We were hit by a driver with Alfa Insurance over 3 months ago. Even though they have admitted their driver was at fault they will not pay us what we are owed, they will not answer calls, and they will not return calls when we leave messages. We have not been able to reach anyone in almost a month now.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

Their insured policyholder failed to yield the right away on 10/5/16. It's 10/13/16 and I have yet to speak with Bethany ** the adjuster. I ended up filing the claim with my insurance company and paying my own deductible so that I could get my car fix. I have emailed and called her multiple times. She has only returned my call once and I was at work. Tried calling her right back and nothing. She only responded to one email and nothing else. This is the worst insurance possible. My insurance company will go after them to collect the monies owed. It ridiculous that I have called over 20 times and only receieved 1 callback. Hopefully no one else gets hit by anyone with this trashy insurance. You are for sure going to get the runaround.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

My car and my back was slammed into while sitting at a red light by an ALFA insurer who was playing on his cell phone. I was injured pretty bad and car was damaged severely. The adjuster would never return my calls and his supervisor was just as bad. I have been without a car or a rental for 2 weeks now. I am getting a lawyer, hopefully that helps. ALFA insurance are the worst people to deal with. Now their insured driver is stating another car hit him which caused him to slam me... SUCH A LIE... and ALFA is believing this lie. I have witness statements and all. Still nothing. I am in so much back pain and ALFA could care less.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

Their customer failed to yield and pulled out in front of me on hwy. This accident happened almost a month ago. I called multi times a day, customer service is very rude and then to be told you will now something by end of day. Well it's the end of day and their office is closed. My car was totaled out and I have nothing to drive. So anyone dealing with this insurance company don't plan on them to settle anytime soon.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

An Alfa insurance holder backed into my parked car. It took me 25+ calls and emails to get them to respond to my claim... and over 2 months to finally get it fixed. I did everything I could to work with them... but they were generally unresponsive, slow and in the end stuck me with $50 on the rental car I needed for 5 days while my car was being fixed. I tried to get this rental car thing paid by Alfa... but they would not respond after repeated messages, emails, etc. Eventually Enterprise Car Rental company dropped the $50 charge even though it wasn't their fault.

Alfa Auto Insurance Company Information

Alfa
www.alfainsurance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use