Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Aetna Health Insurance
1.66/5

Aetna Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

942 Aetna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

I had Aetna before I retired 12 years ago. Now that I have Medicare Aetna is my secondary health insurance. I never had any problems with Aetna before Medicare or after. The company I retired from pays 90% of my premium which was part of my retirement benefits after 30 years with the company which makes it financially easier for me. I find Aetna very reliable.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I passed out and fell on the garage cement floor that resulted in an emergency run and ultimately 4 days in the hospital and more doctors, tests and procedures in that short time than I could imagine! All in an effort to determine what had caused me to pass out and crack my skull. I was amazed at how little out of pocket $ we had to pay.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

After reviewing provider plan options offered by my employer selected Aetna as it covered all doctors used as well as all Rx. Now 3 months into coverage they indicate they will not be covering one of the name brand drugs. This appears to be bait and switch and am not happy with this. All in all Rx coverage much better than last year's Express Scripts which was terrible.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's an HMO with the attendant disadvantages, but Aetna teams with a local HMO coordination organization and things happen pretty fast, and I can call my primary care provider for a referral to a specialist usually (I've been his patient for many years, so he knows my background pretty well). In an area that is "doctor-challenged," I can usually be satisfied with the specialists furnished (recently balked at one and another - the one I wanted - was provided).

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My name is Robin, I am 52 yrs old. I am currently suffering from a major depression disorder. Let me tell you I would not wish this on anyone. I was hospitalized inpatient for 7 days at Lindner Center of Hope in Cincinnati. I found myself "lost" when I came home. They did not have a magic pill or potion to make this depression, stress, loneliness, anxiety, darkness and gloom disappear (of course).

I was home on late on Nov 15th and my 1St therapy was scheduled for Dec 18. I was beyond OVERWHELMED. BUT, Susan **, an Aetna RN nurse was actually the support I leaned on, A true Godsend. She is kind, sympathetic, caring, empathetic, resourceful, loving, reliable, trustworthy, patient, understanding AND TRULY DEVOTED. She was and is my ROCK. The most compassionate person I have ever met. Without her I may ended up back at inpatient psych hospital or dead without her. I am so deeply grateful and forever genuinely thankful for Susan **, my Aetna case EMmy "Rock". (Hugs) I will never forget how she gives me hope and light when I cannot see any. She is my cheerleader and support. My "Life saver".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

Aetna began arbitrarily denying my doctor’s billings, telling him I wasn’t insured any longer. Over the last 6 months I have sought redress and had them tell me over the phone that I AM and always have been covered and it was a mistake, assuring me that they will re-submit the claims and they will be covered. 4 TIMES. Every time they deny it again, then play stupid about it over the phone. What’s worse is that my doctor says they have been denying claims by covered dependents systematically over the last 6 months or so. They are playing with peoples’ lives to scam a bit of extra profit. My only recourse is litigation. DO NOT GIVE AETNA YOUR MONEY!! They will screw you over.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I have been almost a month trying to get approval for treatment on back and hip for chronic pain. I can tell you Aetna is professional at LYING. I was on phone for over 3 hours with them. They called next day saying a conference call was set up with my Dr on a Wednesday. I said that can't be as he has procedures all day. They said I was wrong. I called Dr. They said no call. So now still waiting. All I know is I'm in MAJOR pain and they won't help. How does our government let scams like them go on? Do we not have some protection? California is suing them. Maybe Texas should too!! Only good news I have heard is Aetna is moving out of our area. That is good as when I checked them out on Facebook it scared the hell out of me. They deny treatment for cancer victims!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

As someone who had Blue Cross/Blue Shield for 42 years and never got one call from them and they were always there when needed, the company I retired from changed me to Aetna about 3 years ago. I get calls telling me I need this and to have that. I am old enough to make up my own damn mind and don't need anyone to tell me. Even when put on the don't call list I still get calls from them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

The customer service reps. are NOT knowledgeable. They do NOT know the correct answers. It happens when I call and it happens when the doctors office calls. You get a different answer every time and the answer is NEVER correct. I am retired from a bank. I purchase this insurance by paying the bank $397.00 per month, not counting what Social Security also deducts for coverage. I read the booklet that Aetna gave the bank and the bank gave the booklet to me. I even doubled checked with Human Resources at the bank I am retired from. I understand the book, however no one at Aetna knows what to do. Last year the bank offered Medicare as primary and Cigna as secondary. It did cost $100.00 more per month but it was well worth it. Aetna Medicare has a prescription GAP. I use Asthma Medication and in a few days my prescriptions will NOT be covered. This did NOT happen with Cigna Medicare retiree. NEVER USE AETNA!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I have spent hours on the phone with Aetna over the past few months to get my IVF reimbursements paid to me and every time I talk to a representative, I am told to take a different approach to get my payment. At best, they are incompetent and can't train their employees to actually solve customer issues. At worst, they just don't want to pay you and hope that you will give up.

Aetna expert review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information