Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

885 Aetna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

I pay every month 120$ for Insurance coverage for single person for 5 years and when I had to go doctor in 2019 they say I have visited a specialist so it can't cover for me, the bill should be at least 1800 dollars out of my pocket to get covered. If Insurance isn't helping when I need why the heck do I need to pay first for Insurance and then for doctor visits. Aetna sucks for sure but I didn't try other insurances either so I feel there should be a comparison to tell how much Health insurance has a problem in US.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I spent 1 hour on the phone today regarding my dental policy. I was transferred 7 times...yes 7 times...and my issue was not resolved. I was a member of this company for 4 years and now never will be again. Terrible service.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I just received a bill from a doctor's visit where I had some blood work done. I went to doctor's office that is in network but that doctor mailed the blood specimen off to a hospital that is out of network. Aetna just sent me letter informing me that I will be receiving a bill for 9,000.00. I have been on the phone with them all day and am not getting any help. I don't have control over where blood work is sent.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 12 years ago. I’ve lost over 3 inches in height. Before I was on Medicare my Dr. prescribed ** and I took that medication for 7 years until new guidelines indicated that patients should not take this medication for longer than 5 years. I then suffered a severe fracture of my elbow, so then I was then prescribed twice annual ** injections which are very expensive. When I had SCAN Medicare Advantage Plan in Calif. my PCP would refer me to a rheumatologist who would order a bone scan, and lab work to justify the need for **. SCAN always approved the **. When I moved to Ariz., in December 2018 SCAN no longer was available, so I selected Aetna Medicare HMO Prime. Their provider directory is out of date, and there are very few providers who are accepting new patients. This is an awful Medicare Advantage Plan driven solely by financial gain.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Switched to Aetna Medicare Plan D. Multiple orders "effed up."

#1 Sent wrong product and billed $141. After multiple contacts, they still haven't agreed to accept unopened package and meds. It appears I'll have to sue Aetna in Small Claims to get these ** to take back their mistake and reimburse me.

#2 Later Aetna refused to fill another doctor's prescription for a generic alternative to a very costly med. So I asked about getting the brand name drug. They refuse to cover that. The medication is helping me avoid a high risk surgery--had 4 already over the last 50 years, several requiring lengthy hospital stays and recovery. But "What does Aetna Care?" That's Medicare's problem!

GREAT REASON FOR SINGLE PAYER HEALTH INSURANCE...so insurance companies don't refuse to pay because "SOMEONE ELSE--the Government"--is responsible. No wonder US health costs are higher and health outcomes are poorer than other countries who expend less and their citizens enjoy better health.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: April 6, 2019

I was picking up my prescription when the Pharmacist told me that she couldn't fill it due to Aetna's change in the way they cover prescriptions. She gave me a piece of paper from Aetna saying that I could get my prescription mailed, or go to CVS to get it filled. Since I was standing at Safeway, where I've filled the same prescription for the past 10+ years, I had to waste my time calling them to 'opt out' of their new way of wanting me to get my prescription filled. I had to waste at least 20 minutes of my time to ensure I could continue doing the same thing I've been doing. I'm paying premiums to this company to be inconvenienced?? Really?? Really, really not impressed!!!!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Daughter goes to emergency room. Bill is $1200.00. Aetna denies $1100.00 and only pays $100. If I didn't have a child in college, I'd drop Aetna and put the $400 per month they are robbing me in the bank, and drop the coverage entirely. Totally worthless and a total scam. Even Highmark is better!

Original review: April 2, 2019

Where do I start? Last year, my first year of medicare, I received my 4 medications a N/C on my Humana medicare plan. This year Humana dropped the same plan in my area so I had to find a comparable plan. I was quoted by Aetna for pretty much the same plan as I had with Humana. Well my doctor ordered my first prescriptions form Aetna mail order and they want to charge me $25 each for 2 separate prescriptions that I had been getting for free.

Called Aetna, oh by the way when you call Aetna you better plan on spending the day with there phone reps. It takes about 15 minutes for the phone rep just to get your member ID right. Aetna uses mostly letters in there member ID. Tell me does a b sound like c,d,e,g,p,t,v,z. That's why you have to repeat yourself so many times just to give them you member ID number. USE NUMBERS IDIOTS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO REPEAT THEM 800 TIMES. Bottom line is most of these health companies are not prepared for the onslaught of new medicare recipients. And it shows.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have been taking this medication for over a year with the same insurance company Aetna. Now they say I can't be on it. Pick another drug similar to it. Really? It took a while for me to find a drug that works and now they won't cover it and think they know more than my doctor. My doctors send in a form for authorization and they refuse to let me take it. I must find a generic that is comparable. So let's play Russian Roulette with my life. Try different drugs that could cause me to have a terrible reaction or die. I am going to start a support group and contact all my congressmen to make them aware. Starting next month Aetna will be Caremark which is CVS Pharmacy. It will be worse. Terrible how Aetna can immediately stop depression medication. Shame on this company. I would give a zero if it was an option.

Original review: March 27, 2019

They continually give me nightmares about my prescription. I have had jock itch since March 12, 2019. I called my doctor on the 13th and his nurse put a request in for me with Aetna pharmacy. It was not until March 18th that they acknowledged the prescription and an email that my order will be ready in 2 to 3 days. Then, 5 days later, I get a letter from Aetna that my prescription is on hold. I check their website, and it only says on hold.

I call my nurse and she puts in another request. It takes days for Aetna to confirm. On March 27th, I check the status of my order and it says CANCELED, with no reason. I call Aetna rep. I am nice, because I used to work as a cust serv rep, and I know it is not their fault for the problem. The rep says my prescription is "not authorized." I say, "It came from my doctor's office. What is 'not authorized.'" The rep say, "I don't know. That is what it says on my end." I called my doctor's office and gave them the message. Also, I have had nothing but nightmares in filling out my other 2 meds. Plus, I am under Medicare also, and I have NEVER paid for a blood test until now. I am told I have to pay $15 co-pay, plus $300 of the blood test. I am screwed, because I cannot get out of the "exchange" until the end of the year. UGH.

Original review: March 27, 2019

My husband was in a nursing home and Aetna denied him coverage. After 2 weeks I appealed and the appeal process was awful with the nursing home playing on both sides of my issues mine and the insurance company. My choices were limited to an expensive 24 hour home health care aide or assisted living. I was also informed that if I tried to take him out I was going to be reported to adult protective services. Anyway, he went into assisted living for a month and then they said he did not need their services. I was right. The nursing home was wrong.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Co-pay, dental care, especially for seniors, women's health (specialty areas) limited within the network, including labs and diagnostics. Finding a physician or dentist willing to accept this coverage usually includes an expensive/high co-pay and or, additional costs that requires billing the company and waiting to be reimbursed (which may take some time) if you qualify.

Original review: March 25, 2019

This company is the absolute worst. Tried to get a medication authorized, after 5 days come to find out after stating they received all the information, they had not. So now I have to wait another seven day turnaround time. In all my years I have never had an issue filling a medication. When it comes time to renew my insurance, Aetna Innovation will not be it!

Original review: March 23, 2019

I use GEHA insurance, which contracts with AETNA as the insurance provider. My wife just had surgery to have her tumor removed, and AETNA has rejected a total of $20,000 worth of medical costs associated with this procedure. They did it in such a way that GEHA has received no records of this rejection. The medical bills end up going directly to me. This despite the service providers being in-network. I will press charges against AETNA and report this scam to the department of justice for prosecution.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I am on the Johnson and Johnson Aetna health plan and Aetna keeps on denying claims tests for amounts less than $10 or other low amount like a doctor’s visit, and I have to go through the 3 internal processes and the external process for each claim. All lab tests and doctor’s appointment are in network. I wish my employer would choose another health provider. Aetna is a waste of money. I don't recommend Aetna to any employers for their employees.

Original review: March 18, 2019

AETNA is awful. I called for refills the other day and I was on the phone for 1 hour and 10 minutes. My previous insurance company was much better than AETNA. You might talk to three different representatives before getting someone that can help you. I wish I could get rid of AETNA!

Original review: March 17, 2019

Just switch to Aetna advantage Care for my Medicare supplement Plan. Had medication that was a generic drug. Was paying over the counter $20 per month. Aetna classified it is a tier 3 drug and was charging me over $50 which went towards my deductible of $350. Once that was met I was still going to have to pay of substantial amount more than what the walk-in price was. I went on to GoodRx and found several pharmacies selling the same drug for between $20 for 30 pills to $24 for 30 pills which was the high. I called customer service and explain this to them. They really didn't care. It's a scam, smoke and mirrors, Bernie Madoff only Insurance style. They're taking advantage of the elderly in the State of Florida to serious crime. It's all about the Benjamins. Stay away. God forbid you may need a serious drug someday.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Aetna is adequate for Medicare coverage. However, they have limited coverage for areas outside of large cities. I have had to go to a larger city as many providers including diagnostics are not covered. This costs me time and money.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Simply the worst. The epitome of American healthcare - zero accountability. Even if I were a millionaire and had this company for insurance I'd be broke after a couple of blood tests. Don't like the bill? Tough - there is nobody to help. Aetna doesn't care. Doctor doesn't care (they just submit paperwork). Would anyone go to doctor if they got to see the bill first?

Original review: March 16, 2019

I’m lucky to be healthy; however the program covers doctor visits, lab expenses and extras like Silver Sneakers. My doctors seem to prefer Aetna simply because the company must be simple to work with. When I’ve had questions about coverage, I found the rep to be courteous and friendly but also knowledgeable and efficient.

Original review: March 15, 2019

As a retired education employee, I am paying too much out of pocket for office visits and medicines every month. I also pay $200 monthly premiums. Cost of living is going up while our medicines go up and our pensions stay low. How are we to keep up.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Lists preferred providers as out of network, therefore I can’t even guesstimate how much I will owe. They have been contacted by me and my providers and still have not corrected the issue. Had BCBS and will return to them when open enrollment comes around.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Aetna refused to cover a generic drug which my previous insurers covered for decades. Aetna covered less than $1.00 for my 4175.00 shingles vaccine. I am living for October 15TH so I can dump Aetna and sign on to a different plan. DO NOT GET Aetna INSURANCE, YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I am 24 yo dealing with insomnia for almost 10 years. I finally decided to go through with getting a sleep study. Saw a specialist and he confirmed I did indeed need a sleep study. So we made the appointment but roughly 3 weeks before the study, I called Aetna to make sure the study would be covered, or if it wasn’t how much I could expect to pay. The woman asked to put me on hold while she gathered the information. She came back and told me that 100% of the costs would be covered, and that at the most I would have to pay a $200 deductible, but probably not even that as my study wasn’t an emergency. She even sent me an email detailing their policies on sleep studies and my conditions were listed in those policies.

Now, a month after the study, I receive a bill from my hospital for over $1700. This morning I called Aetna again and told them firmly that I was given misinformation and if I had known I would get this bill I would not have gone through with the study. She told me she would forward the phone call from January to higher ups so they could listen to the call and figure out why I would be given different information. This will also take up to a month to be reviewed. It doesn’t help that all of the people I have spoken to have been foreign and are difficult to understand on the phone sometimes, though they are nice enough. Thankfully I recorded the phone call from before the study and listened to it again to make sure my memory wasn’t incorrect; the woman did indeed say 100% of the costs would be covered.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been receiving ** infusions for 16 years. Been w/ Aetna since 2012. $35 copay all along. Plan/Dr/office/billing/Rx has not changed - $35 copay all along. Last year, Aetna decided to start billing me coinsurance of $3500. Said they made a mistake all those years only charging me $35. Threatened to go back and adjust all the prior years to charge me coinsurance if I didn't agree to pay from now on. I can't afford to pay, it's thousands of dollars, so I don't know what else I can do except pay now, but my plan doesn't require it.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My company switched us from Blue Cross/Blue Shield to Aetna January 1, 2019. It has been hours and hours and hours of frustration. Every time I need to call them I have to screw up the courage to go into battle yet again. I won't go into details - no one needs to hear me whine - but I really and truly wonder how good people work here. I say good people because most of the operators I work with at Aetna are nice and professional, they just can't help me because their superiors tell them, "Don't pay claims," and my company is cheap for using them.

I am at the point where I'm either crying or angry on the phone with these poor people. I can't imagine waking up everyday and having to answer phone calls from Aetna customers. I'd need a bottle of scotch in the bottom desk drawer. In this economy, there are too many companies with good health care to suffer through this. I am seriously considering leaving my job because it's insured by Aetna, the worst health "care" out there.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I work in billing in a physician's office and I'm writing of the horrible frustrations we have had with Aetna Medicare Advantage Plans. They tell seniors lies upon lies, that they can go to any doctor that takes Medicare and voila, all is smooth. I'm here to tell you THEY LIE. One example -- Aetna literally sent claim payments to a patients' home address in NJ, and we are in a different state. Those payments were supposed to have been sent to our office, and they sent them to the patient (age 83 and confused on a good day) for unknown reasons. They have the practice, physicians’ address and license numbers correctly, as well as the electronic claims, and it is unclear why they did this. They couldn’t offer an explanation either.

They have done with dozens of claims and we simply cannot get information from their corporate offices -- El Paso TX is their main claims office in the US but no local numbers anymore, you get turned to third world call centers that then STEAL YOUR IDENTITY. It seems to us they did not process to be paid to the physicians’ office because we are not in the network. Whenever we call we get reps in India or Philippines on lines with terrible connections. They don't know what the fee schedules are for Medicare, they don't know how claims work through OWN THEIR PORTAL PAGE on Availity, in short, it's a disaster.

I can tell you all we won't be accepting this plan because it's an absolute nightmare and if we don't get paid we will be bankrupted in no time. I beg seniors to wake up and scream at the corrupt government and your corrupt retirement plan administrators because you're being lied to and your doctors will all stop accepting Medicare within the year. Physicians and patients have to stop being bullied and start SCREAMING NO TO AETNA! Watch out, they're with CVS now too so the monopoly will be complete...smh.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I tried to call Aetna to discuss an issue with my HSA. When I enrolled I was asked to provide a link to my bank account. I did that and now Aetna deducts taxed money for my HSA (in addition to using pre-tax money as they are supposed to). I wanted to call to rectify the issue but when you call their 1866 number all the robot tells you is advertisements for crap you really don't need. I tried for 5 minutes but after hearing about roadside assistance, cell phone offers and other junk I gave up. Now I will work with my bank to block Aetna from accessing my account.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Aetna did not process a claim correctly. I tried for 8 months to get them to correct/adjust the amount paid towards the claim. Finally after 8 months and hours upon hours on the phone the claim was adjusted. I went from owing $5,277 to owing nothing. Horrible experience!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

In many cases, it is impossible to know what is covered: The customer service often contradict itself and anyway whatever they say isn't legally binding. And the 2 provided documents "benefit plan" and "schedule a benefit" are missing a lot of information. For example, I have exchange went over 10 messages/emails/chats with the customer service and I still cannot have a clear answer regarding a question as simple as whether going to a physiotherapist without a prescription is covered.

Aetna expert review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information