Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5
Based on 1,916 ratings submitted in the last year

Aetna Health Insurance Call Now Toll Free (855) 235-2955 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I have Aetna Max Choice Gold with a high deductible. The good thing is that Aetna is accepted most places. But all prescriptions and non-preventive office visits are subject to deductible which means you pay the whole contracted price of the prescription or visit instead of a copay or %. Another downside is that they seem a little disorganized on the back end at times. Overall decent insurance if you have the $ to pay your deductible.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing by paying for Aetna with my Medicare coverage. From my teaching pension, I was getting BCBSM, and I see a big difference in the amount of copays, but I don’t know whether or not it’s worth it. I do have a lot of health issues which stemmed from breast implants, but I had them removed, and still have some issues leftover.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

The coverage has been decent. Customer service is another story. They don't know what they are talking about. I called in to find out the price of a drug that was not a formulary drug. I was quoted a price and as a result decided to use GoodRX. When I went to pick up the drug at the pharmacy the pharmacist informed me that my insurance price actually was cheaper than GoodRX. That was not what I had been told, this price was about $40 cheaper than what I was quoted. My opinion on this is quite simple. If you are the person on the phone quoting drug prices for a particular insurance plan GET YOUR INFORMATION RIGHT!!! Some of us out here are counting on that information. I was NOT HAPPY with my experience.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Aetna has a lot of pros & cons. They have a dental plan that pays back up to $1700, reimbursement for dentist. The specialist fee was only $20, with no copay for seeing your PCP. I didn’t like paying $200 for a MRI, but I needed it. Next year it’s supposed to be no charge a MRI. They also pay up to $100 for eyeglasses, and you have the option to join a gym and take advantage of the Silver Sneakers program. Not sure if I will keep them for next year, I need to see what’s being offered.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I have been with Aetna Complete Care for over a year. It has saved my life and has kept me out of assisted living so I can live at home. With this plan I have home delivered meals, a home health nurse and aid. The plan also includes a care manager with Aetna that helps me with anything I need. I suffered 3 mini strokes in the past 5 years and had a right knee replacement back in February of this year. I was able to get in home therapy at home instead of going to the nursing facility. I am very happy with the services Aetna has and is providing me with my long term care.

Original review: April 8, 2021

In January 2020 I switched from Aetna to another carrier. Aetna didn't cancel my coverage as requested and continued deducting over $300 a month for premium. I thought this was my wife's insurance premium so it was paid. This year we both went to a zero premium Medicare supplement. When we were still billed the $300+ premium in January 2021 Aetna was contacted. They owed us over $4000.00 for premiums we paid in 2020. For 3 months we have had to constantly fight with Aetna to get our money even though they admit it is owed to us. Aetna keeps promising payments were mailed but they never come. They are either unbelievably incompetent or unethical. Either way, we will never choose Aetna insurance again!

We have threatened legal action against them but all we received was another promised payment that hasn't arrived as of today. Anyone who has an Aetna Medicare supplement better be absolutely sure when you change coverage plans that Aetna actually cancels you or you will go through the same 3 month long nightmare we are experiencing.

Original review: March 23, 2021

The guys I've been receiving emails from are very nice and responsive, in general if this review great would be based on Customer Care, I'd rate it 10+ stars. But: 1- Just too expensive. Comparing to BUPA, Allianz I had before (working for the same company; they've never got back to me why they've changed providers) like 13-15%. And their lists of benefits were longer than AETNA's. 2- I've been exchanging emails with their Claim dept. for days now. Apparently, vaccination for kids is not part of my coverage. Not for COVID. For MENINGOCOCCAL MENINGITIS A, C, Y! & W. Sorry for being sarcastic, but I was shocked: at the early 21st century!

Needless to mention that local providers here in Qatar, not branches of come big, word renown provider, have ALL the vaccinations covered. Where I'm coming from (and my country's annual GDP is 30% less than overall AETNA profit) it's also free/covered. I'm looking into a way how to leave AETNA and enroll with some other provider before end of one year coverage. Annually I'll save circa EUR4500.

Original review: March 23, 2021

We have had a high deductible policy for a few years with them and things were going smooth so long they had to pay nothing! Once, my husband's renowned cardiologists (my husband is a retired cardiologist himself) had him do a CT angio after a positive stress EKG test and angina pectoris, and the bill exceeded the deductible ($6000), they denied the claim and the appeal stating contradictory statements where they acknowledge he is a high risk patient but the procedure is not indicated. So, what is indicated? Well, they don't tell you that. For sure, we will be changing Aetna next year. Hope the big company my husband works for now has better options. Also, will make everyone in our surroundings know about this. Thanks for nothing!

Original review: March 19, 2021

Aetna is simply a trash company. I did my due diligence and spoke to their "fully trained" concierges to make sure acupuncture was covered before starting treatments. I was told (by more than one concierge) that acupuncture was covered – no conditions or caveats were given to the acupuncture coverage. Lo and behold, after 5 or 6 treatments, the claims were denied. I went through all the appeal processes and even lodged a complaint with the Commissioner of Insurance Office. I’ll give Aetna credit, they held firm and denied coverage at every step of the way (it's clear money means more to them than anyone's health or well being). What offends me the most is that Aetna did not take any responsibility for creating the problem.

I think of Aetna as the corporate equivalent of a bad owner of a dog. The type of owner who lets their dog poop on your lawn and when you catch them in the act, they not only won’t clean up the mess they created, but they won’t even admit they're the source of the mess. I have zero respect for an individual or corporation that creates a problem and then scapegoats responsibility on to others, and that is Aetna in a nutshell. Aetna exhibited totally unprofessional behavior in the matter and that says it all about the quality of the company.

Original review: March 18, 2021

This is the worst insurance company. You pay a Fortune out of pocket only for them to tell you, not a doctor, that surgeries won’t be covered Medications won’t be covered and they constantly lie about how much of your out-of-pocket max has been met. When it comes to Medications the insurance company decides what Medications are good for you not a medical professional. It is an absolute disgrace.

Aetna author review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information