Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Aetna Health Insurance
1.82/5

Aetna Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I have always had a positive experience with Aetna. I had one overnight hospital stay a couple of years ago for monitoring. All I had to pay was my $60 copy for emergency room. I visit my PCP two or three times a year with a small copy. I do have to pay a deductible for blood tests, but that is it. Overall I am very satisfied with their service.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I recently enrolled in Aetna Coventry Freedom Plus plan as my wife had previously done so. It has proved to be perfect for our needs, as a PPO it practically covers every medical care provider we would require including dental and vision. Although getting questions answered online via messaging can be a bit difficult for those atypical requests they do a fine job. I don't know why anyone would ever want or need to enroll in Part D.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I've been with Aetna for over six years and have full supplemental coverage. Claims from my providers have always been paid fully and promptly, even the humongous charges associated with a heart attack and medical, flight. As with all medical expenses, premiums have skyrocketed while most of us retirees have fixed incomes and that is starting to present a problem; but, that would be the same with any company. There have been absolutely no hassles and I'm happy.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's an HMO with the attendant disadvantages, but Aetna teams with a local HMO coordination organization and things happen pretty fast, and I can call my primary care provider for a referral to a specialist usually (I've been his patient for many years, so he knows my background pretty well). In an area that is "doctor-challenged," I can usually be satisfied with the specialists furnished (recently balked at one and another - the one I wanted - was provided).

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My name is Robin, I am 52 yrs old. I am currently suffering from a major depression disorder. Let me tell you I would not wish this on anyone. I was hospitalized inpatient for 7 days at Lindner Center of Hope in Cincinnati. I found myself "lost" when I came home. They did not have a magic pill or potion to make this depression, stress, loneliness, anxiety, darkness and gloom disappear (of course).

I was home on late on Nov 15th and my 1St therapy was scheduled for Dec 18. I was beyond OVERWHELMED. BUT, Susan **, an Aetna RN nurse was actually the support I leaned on, A true Godsend. She is kind, sympathetic, caring, empathetic, resourceful, loving, reliable, trustworthy, patient, understanding AND TRULY DEVOTED. She was and is my ROCK. The most compassionate person I have ever met. Without her I may ended up back at inpatient psych hospital or dead without her. I am so deeply grateful and forever genuinely thankful for Susan **, my Aetna case EMmy "Rock". (Hugs) I will never forget how she gives me hope and light when I cannot see any. She is my cheerleader and support. My "Life saver".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Aetna is the worst insurance company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Unfortunately, through my job I have no choice but to use their insurance. They don't cover medically necessary charges, leaving their customers with high out of pocket bills to pay. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. If you have the choice, do not use Aetna unless you like throwing away your hard earned money.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Aetna refuses to pay one dime for my hospital bed. It covered everything else at 90 percent. After visiting the ER, I was hospitalized on a floor dedicated to my medical crisis. This hospital unit was designed with private rooms, only. I am being charged $7,200 for this hospital room because Aetna has told me they only cover a semi-private room. That was not an option for me, a semi-private room so, I appealed because none of this was my fault. My appeal was denied. I am absolutely furious that Aetna will pay nothing for my hospital room. I was forced to have a private room and am now getting screwed over for it. I am being told that the hospital has semi-private rooms. So what??!! That has NOTHING to do with my situation which, Aetna REFUSES to consider.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Aetna requires you to have an annual exam and blood work to keep from paying 30 percent more for insurance. Even when you do these 2 items they still charge full rates. Total rip off. I wish we could change plans.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

We’ve had Aetna Health Insurance through our employer for many years. Our company switched from another provider which was excellent so we had a good reference. I have spent countless hours on the phone trying to get basic coverage and claims info from their poorly trained reps and they also show little respect or kindness in how they talk to customers. The other day I was told their system crashed and that I’d get a call back. Of course I never got a call and when I explained this to a new rep she did not offer an apology, explanation, was completely disinterested. I had to escalate a basic claims question to the manager which is like pulling teeth, all over her poor attitude and misinformation about my claim. It seems they have a hard time getting info readily - such as trying to find a clinical policy bulletin - which speaks to the inefficiencies and leadership inside Aetna as well.

I could in with pages of examples and because we have a lot of conditions, we have to deal with them a lot. It’s non stop problems and it is very common for practitioners to sigh in disgust when we mention Aetna as they typically “don’t have as good of coverage and more red tape” compared to better insurance companies. We continue to complain to our employer hoping they will re-evaluate and dump Aetna to keep their workforce happy and healthy. Worst insurance company we’ve encountered.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My husband has a DVT in his left leg and has now been diagnosed with Prostate cancer. As part of his cancer treatment the Doctor has to have a MRI in order to map out where the radiation rods will be placed. This mapping helps to ensure he does not end up pooping and peeing on himself for the rest of his life. Aetna sits forever on the request then turns it over to some horrible lying company called Evicore. They kept delaying delaying and kept lying to me about when they would let us know. They delayed long enough that the MRI had to be canceled. The Doctor says he was on the phone being transferred around for 45 minutes and could not get an answer. Now his treatment is delayed while the cancer is eating away and still we are trying to get approval. They keep delaying and delaying.

Aetna expert review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information