Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Aetna Health Insurance
1.79/5

Aetna Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I have always had a positive experience with Aetna. I had one overnight hospital stay a couple of years ago for monitoring. All I had to pay was my $60 copy for emergency room. I visit my PCP two or three times a year with a small copy. I do have to pay a deductible for blood tests, but that is it. Overall I am very satisfied with their service.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I recently enrolled in Aetna Coventry Freedom Plus plan as my wife had previously done so. It has proved to be perfect for our needs, as a PPO it practically covers every medical care provider we would require including dental and vision. Although getting questions answered online via messaging can be a bit difficult for those atypical requests they do a fine job. I don't know why anyone would ever want or need to enroll in Part D.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I've been with Aetna for over six years and have full supplemental coverage. Claims from my providers have always been paid fully and promptly, even the humongous charges associated with a heart attack and medical, flight. As with all medical expenses, premiums have skyrocketed while most of us retirees have fixed incomes and that is starting to present a problem; but, that would be the same with any company. There have been absolutely no hassles and I'm happy.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's an HMO with the attendant disadvantages, but Aetna teams with a local HMO coordination organization and things happen pretty fast, and I can call my primary care provider for a referral to a specialist usually (I've been his patient for many years, so he knows my background pretty well). In an area that is "doctor-challenged," I can usually be satisfied with the specialists furnished (recently balked at one and another - the one I wanted - was provided).

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My name is Robin, I am 52 yrs old. I am currently suffering from a major depression disorder. Let me tell you I would not wish this on anyone. I was hospitalized inpatient for 7 days at Lindner Center of Hope in Cincinnati. I found myself "lost" when I came home. They did not have a magic pill or potion to make this depression, stress, loneliness, anxiety, darkness and gloom disappear (of course).

I was home on late on Nov 15th and my 1St therapy was scheduled for Dec 18. I was beyond OVERWHELMED. BUT, Susan **, an Aetna RN nurse was actually the support I leaned on, A true Godsend. She is kind, sympathetic, caring, empathetic, resourceful, loving, reliable, trustworthy, patient, understanding AND TRULY DEVOTED. She was and is my ROCK. The most compassionate person I have ever met. Without her I may ended up back at inpatient psych hospital or dead without her. I am so deeply grateful and forever genuinely thankful for Susan **, my Aetna case EMmy "Rock". (Hugs) I will never forget how she gives me hope and light when I cannot see any. She is my cheerleader and support. My "Life saver".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

How in the ** do I stop the mail adverts for a person that has died? My brother died five years ago. I really do not think that he needs the advantage program!! I have called, emailed and sent US postal mail. This has been going on for over a year. How do I stop this harassment? ?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Aetna will only allow mail-order prescriptions and they take upwards of ten days to fill them. This is a massive problem if you actually require daily doses. They are willing for you to run out of required medications to preserve control and ineptitude. I strongly recommend choosing another insurance provider.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I pay hundreds a dollars a month so I can pay hundreds more. I have Aetna through my employer and still have to pay hundreds of dollars a month in premiums. Last year, Aetna provided a "wizard" to see if I was getting the best coverage for my needs. I ran through it twice and switched based on its recommendations. What a mistake. My monthly medication costs went from $20 a month to $190. Not to mention the massive deductibles. But what really fried me was the need for a "preauthorization" for an MRI ordered by my doctor. Why on Earth does Aetna have the right to delay and even deny my medical needs?

Other issues were calls that went unreturned and the inability for anyone at Aetna to give me straight and honest answers as the coverage I had. I.e. How much was covered for an MRI, etc. All of these added up to delay of care for an issue that has now gone well into the third month. The system is scam designed to take as much of the consumer's money while allowing for the absolute minimum amount of care. There is no wonder why even people with health "insurance" are considering Medicare for All.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

If you need something simple and are on the phone directly with Pharmacy or setting up insurance they are fine. With any other task you will often get young, new reps that don't understand your question or when they do, they have to study the system to figure out what to say to you or how the process works. It's often like waiting for your 85 year old grandfather to fill out his email address on the Apple remote for Apple tv. Way too often the reps don't know what a insurance, vacation override is and you can tell them 5 times and they will have to ask someone else, where to send you, what it is you're asking about and if it's possible.

For some reason they are all too proud to ask for help and would rather keep you on the line for 45 min while you teach them what it is you are asking. They probably have a call center in a low income area and largely hire reps with little experience. They have too many departments for everything so one person can't do what you need, they have to figure out who does that and where to send you. This company will probably go out of business someday if they don't revamp.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I cannot judge Aetna performance since I had it for less than a year, but decreasing coverage for one of my medication starting September means I get full coverage for only seven months, that could be an indication that its coverage is not as good as claims indicated.

Aetna expert review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information