Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.71/5

Aetna Health Insurance Call Now Toll Free (855) 235-2955 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: July 28, 2020

Aetna imposes a lot of limitations on providers and provides with poor reimbursement. This is affecting our ability to provide quality care. In addition to this their customer service is outsourced overseas and of very poor quality. They are presenting with significant language barrier which is making communication very, very difficult.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I switched to Aetna last year from my husband’s insurance plan and this is hands down one of the worst financial decisions I have ever made. After paying thousands in premiums, I pay hundreds in out of pocket expenses for every diagnostic test that my Primary Care Physician orders. I have to spend hours on a phone call with them and then they’ll accept that only some of the claims were denied in error. I cannot wait to switch back to a better insurance plan. If you have a choice, do not go with Aetna.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I have had nothing but the worst experience with Aetna. From issues when signing up through my employer to claims being denied (for no reason AT ALL), total lack of customer service and delays in processing even after calling and trying to get claims addressed. My daughter was born with a health condition, and never once did we ever have issues with other insurance companies, no claims were ever denied, I was actually assigned a nurse case manager with my other insurance. This isn't even an option with Aetna, I asked. I am exhausted and disappointed by the pathetic service, meanwhile they make hand over fist and their customers pay the price.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I just join this year with Aetna, did my research to make sure my PCP was in the network an all. Now they sending me a letter in May about the provider not being in the network as of Aug/2019. I joined Aetna in Oct/Nov. 2019. talking about I can still see the provider... by paying more money out of my pocket! I am on a fix income. Dont have money to throw around. I would not recommend them to anyone! their info is not correct, unprofessional to me! Wish I could give them a FAT 0.

Original review: May 31, 2020

I am having horrible experience with Aetna. I went to multiple service providers for my family members and given my Aetna Card to them, they check it in their system and say that yes they are in-network with Aetna and had to just pay the copayment. Later I receive hundreds of dollars of bills, when I checked the same with Aetna they say that the provider is not in network. I believe that multiple service provide can't lie and tell the same thing, what it means is there is something incorrect or Aetna provide misleading details to service providers which is passed on to the patients.

I disputed this through internal review of Aetna and they simply denied. One of the Service Provider is Baylor and Scott. Both Aetna and Baylor and Scott doing handball to each other and I have been going through so much of stress due to that. Even I have highest level of coverage and doing all right things (checking with service provider before availing service multiple times, over the phone and during the service) and still in the receiving end. If you are with Aetna be ready for the sleepless nights. I am sure that there are thousands of such patients who are having stress full life due to Aetna Insurance.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Aetna Medicare got to the point 2020 they refused to pay for almost every medical procedure. Denied all medicine. Pay for some that make no sense and you're making medical calls whether or not I can see a doctor. They actually told me that, "We are a HMO. We have the right to decide whether or not you can see a specialist. If we don't want you to see a specialist we have all rights to stop you from seeing any doctor we don't want you to see." I had to contact Medicare so I didn't have to be their patient anymore. They don't actually like paying for medical services at all. I was with him for 5 months. Started receiving all bills and they were supposed to pay for them. They always find a way to wiggle out of paying for your medical even though you're paying them money.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I have two special needs children, and they both receive multiple therapies a week. We transitioned to tele therapy because of COVID, and were told by Aetna copays were waived for all tele therapy sessions during this time. Now they say they aren't and I am being stuck with a giant bill retrospectively. I have learned over the years that Aetna never gives the same answer twice when you call to discuss coverage. I should have known better than to believe them.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I’ve never written a review of a health insurance company before. However, having Aetna has compelled me to do it. It’s horrible, but unfortunately we are stuck with these guys via my husband’s job. Getting an approval for a medication seems to be just about impossible. The drugs my husband has to take for his condition require a prior authorization from his doctor. This is where you have to brace yourself. The faxes get lost, and I end up being transferred to five different departments etc. And guess what? In the end they still deny you for no reason.

Two medications in a row were now denied (both on preferred list). They make excuses, and tell me to ask the doctor to file an appeal. This is what we are currently working on. The amount of rigmarole we’ve had to deal with over the last three months is unbelievable. It’s being my part time job to get this approval, and so far I have nothing to show for it. What are we paying the premiums for? This company has no regard for consumers. It honestly feels like a scam.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I have had Aetna for 4 mths. In this time, most of my medications have required preauthorization, or I have a crazy high deductible to get name brand medication. Once the RX deductible is met (meaning the customer pays out of pocket for everything before insurance pays toward cost), they then have the right to deny me the medication once they have to participate in paying towards the medication. I was transferred for 48 mins to different departments to try and file an appeal...I never reached the right department and then I was finally put back into the main system w/ no direct transfer. I hung up at that point. When you call for basic benefit help, you get routed to outsourced workers in countries like India, making it hard here and have to wait on that annoying delay.

I pay too much out of my check every month to get crappy services and nothing's covered until I meet a 4k out of pocket deductible 6k max outta pocket deductible, which does not include co-pays and your monthly deductions from your check. If met, this is a plan that can cost upwards of 8k plus. And all expenses are on you except a basic doctor's appointment, where you get a negotiated rate for simple service until the deductible is met. Aetna should be ashamed of their policy structures and lack of support when you call. My company changed last yr from Cigna and it was much better in terms of basic support from its employees when you call in and there were many other benefits within plan that did not come at an additional cost to policy holder. Aetna offers you nothing!!!!

Original review: April 21, 2020

I have been a customer with Aetna for over seven years and have yet to have ONE satisfactory experience with them!

1) Their customer service department routinely gives out incorrect information and then they won't even honor what they have said - even when presented with THEIR own call reference number.

2) Their plans don't really cover anything and there's always some silly excuse as to why the money I'm paying (OUT OF POCKET!) for my appointments, prescriptions, etc. DOESN'T even count towards my deductible! Therefore we NEVER meet our deductible before it starts back over at zero every January, and we just end up paying for every darn thing out of pocket (including our monthly premium!).

3) Their website and customer navigator page hardly ever works as advertised which always forces me to have to make calls to them - which almost always results in me getting incorrect information...or being told that I will receive a callback that I NEVER receive.

In conclusion the only service that they provide for our monthly premium is 'low-balling' my doctor "for me" and then calling it a "contractual adjustment"...Meanwhile I'm doing all the paying of bills and they haven't paid out a dime! Avoid Aetna!

Aetna author review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information