Aetna Health Insurance

Aetna Health Insurance

3.8/5 (1032 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Aetna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

After turning 65 a few years ago, I had to find supplemental insurance. I started with Humana. Being a low income person, most of the services were low costs and low co-pay. My 2 medicines were also free. I talked to someone who said my rates would stay the same for a year. In one word...LIE. After 3 months, my rates went up nearly $100 more a month, and I was STUCK until Nov, due to Obamacare. Then, at the same time, my cholesterol med changed from zero to $8. I called and was told that medicine was reclassified to a higher level. I protested and said it was not nice that I have to pay $8, while their CEO was making $220 million, and asked them to remove that med. I found a website that charged me $10 for the same med, but was glad to change. BOTTOM LINE: In Nov, I dropped inHumana, and tried Aetna. This will be my 4th year (they now added vision coverage), and I am satisfied. My 2 meds (now 3) are still free. Thank you Aetna.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Aetna Insurance has been a great help to me. I have never had any kind of problem with the insurance or anyone that I have had to speak with. They have been extremely helpful in answering all my questions, even the dumb ones. They helped me understand how everything will be going for me after being diagnosed with lung cancer. Caring, understanding and helpful. Can't get any better than that.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

My husband had an accident and was in three hospitals for a total of nine weeks. After our $3000 deductible, everything was covered 100%. This was one less thing for me to worry about while he was recovering and not working.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

My wife and I have recently become more physically ill at 79 years of age and so we have filed more claims with Aetna. Aetna has responded quickly and paid for much of the charges by our family physician, our eye doctor, and my urologist. I am very happy with Aetna's providing of these charges.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Excellent customer service experience every time I connect with rep either online or via phone. Additionally, the website is very intuitive. As far as information is concerned that will guide me when I am looking for anything pertaining to my health insurance info or providers.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

P.O.A for my mother who has dementia. They can't seem to find the P.O.A document that I have sent over several times and which came with the application. Now they've hired people offshore, a no-no in my book when it comes to sensitive information. Bye-bye Aetna.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Aetna Health "Insurance" reps chat up your HR department with promises of lower group insurance costs with no loss of benefits to the employees but instead employees are required to not only pay sizeable shares of premiums, but high deductibles, and co-pays which effectively add up to no one earning under $68,000 per year can afford even an annual physical with tests. A real life example of this nightmare is when the employer offered a "complimentary" on sight dermatology screening.

After a quick examination in a triage set up in the parking lot by a "dermatologist" and a couple of freeze treatments of nonmalignant freckles, a bill for over $400 arrived with Aetna sending two letters and 4 pages of papers to declare they were only paying $28 as a co-pay. This company should be investigated for unfair and deceptive business trade practices, but since they are probably in bed with many a politician who pulls the strings of the insurance regulatory agencies - don't hold your breath. I am definitely in agreement with many reviewers who recommend changing your job to get out of this bad deal, and self fund your own medical care at this point!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

On 11/11/2021, my neurologist conducted EMG, MRI and wanted a Myelogram done. I have a severe condition that affects bladder retention, my ability to walk and my balance. I had difficulty getting a specialist referral PCP, Memorial Hermann Southwest told me the Radiologist had to approve it that not true. Due to having to escalate simple issue, I decided to switch plans for 2022. I feel the issues are directly dictated by Aetna because they do want to pay for service when member changed their plan. Aetna gave the appearance of assisting and basically is dragging out the process until 2022 plan begins. It is scary to think that Aetna would place a member’s health in jeopardy to save money. Also, penalizing the member for changing plan.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I proceeded to go to an out of network dentist Aetna told me to pay the hundred dollars and I will get reimbursed. Three months later they finally approve $100 and they send it to the provider instead of sending it to the customer. No agent has any idea what you’re talking about. They tell you they taking care of it and they just hang up. I got disconnected four times because they did not know how to solve my problem so they just hung up on me. This is the worst insurance company I’ve ever dealt with. Good Luck If your place of employment offers this insurance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

After my first year of service with Aetna I would never register with them again. Their copays and deductibles are terrible. They are a reflection of how broken the US insurance system is. It's pretty much not worth having insurance through them at all, you may as well just bankroll savings or switch providers instead of giving funds to these frauds.

Aetna author review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information