Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

853 Aetna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

About 2 years ago, Aetna switched its customer service to the Philippines (obviously to save $$$). Since then, it has been a nightmare interacting with them, when you need information. The reps don't know hardly anything, are just reading/quoting paragraphs in front of them, without any real knowledge of what they are talking about. They don't understand American health insurance or medical conditions (which are complex). They constantly put you on hold when you ask a question, while they search the answer; if you call multiple times about the same thing, they give you conflicting information, they can't pronounce half the medical terms... It's irritating and tiring. For goodness sake, Aetna - move your customer service back to the States! I will be switching plans as I can't take it anymore...

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My ophthalmology surgeon was not in Aetna's plan (BFMG) so I opted to change insurers this year. I was appalled to learn that Aetna refuses to transfer my medications to the new provider. Any insurer changes in the past have always cooperated by transferring my medications to the new insurer. It appears Aetna punishes those who choose to leave their plan. Very petty on their part.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Even if you have "great" coverage through Aetna they will find a way to skirt it. My wife went to an eye doctor with a clot in one of her eyes and the doctor ran a set of labs. Aetna arbitrarily decided one of the labs was "experimental" in nature despite a doctor's note explaining exactly why the lab was medically necessary. Aetna used one of their morally bankrupt, corrupt attack dog MD's to write a false justification for their decision (my wife herself is an MD, and knows the lab that was run on her is very standard in the field). We are now out $700 for a single lab. Buyer beware: the coverage they claim they are offering is a lie.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Tried to have a script mail ordered to me. After 2 months calling I still do not have my script! They never got it right... not even the correct dosage!!! I have used mail order for a number of years, with no problems. Aetna is another story. They are completely incompetent. I will never sign up with them again.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have been putting off decompression surgery to my c-spine for 26 years. 8 years ago I chose to have my lower spine fused and found "the most compassionate skilled surgeon" and proceeded. We decided that the back took priority because of the pain. Jump ahead to now. When getting approved, the insurance decided a particular device wasn't need "medically" anymore. REALLY someone at a very low rated insurance company was telling MY skilled surgeon to not do his job. After a peer to peer that changed their mind... I am recovering but now I can't get some medicine from my primary because of...you need to make an appointment. Even though you can't drive right now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Updated on 02/15/2019: I unfortunately changed my Plan D insurance company for 2019 to Aetna. Starting in December 2018, mail and phone communications caused confusion. I now believe that was intentional. I first paid the premium for the entire year via credit card. They claim that the transaction did not go through, so I mailed them a check. But the initial credit card transaction did go through. My card issuer said there had been no declines for that transaction. It appears that I was lied to by Aetna. I wasn't aware of that until after the check had also cleared. Since it appeared that I had been scammed, I closed that credit card account.

I have been on the phone for over 12 hours with Aetna trying to get a refund for the second payment. I have been told that a refund check had been mailed to me on various dates and I should have received it by now. I never received it. Each time, they ask if I want them to make a stop payment on it and request a new one. I have said "yes" each time. I have been told various conflicting excuses -- such as they weren't ready to take premium payments for 2019 until February. Yet, no one had any idea if I was covered for January and February. Now I am receiving phone calls at all hours (one was at 7:45 am on a Saturday) advising me that they can't refund me until I request a stop payment on the initial check and request a new one --- which I had already done 5 times. I admit that I didn't handle that call well.

I have now realized that my annual premium is well over $1,400, when it was initially published to my insurance agent for half that amount. It appears that some at Aetna set out to rip-off Seniors. But I believe some reps are not aware-- they simply parrot the words to put Seniors into an ongoing loop of annoyance and inaction. On top of all this, I also received a payment book last week with monthly coupons and one rep said that I had to make monthly payments, even though she had just acknowledged that I had already paid double the annual premium. With that, my annual premium would be about $2,200. At this point, I don't trust anyone at Aetna. I hope my report prevents others for falling for their underhanded scheme like I did.

Original Review: My experience with Aetna, Plan D Medicare, has been a nightmare. My monthly/annual premium jumps up, up, UP. Its customer service will not help. They simply read off scripts likely written by those who set out to rip seniors off. I decided on Aetna for 2019 Plan D after reviewing valuable analysis created by my agent. I received a letter in December advising me that my annual premium would be $704.90. I called in and paid that on December 13. On December 17 I was advised that "there was an error and I owe another $704.90". I called the phone number from the card and they confirmed that the annual premium is really $1,409.80. So I mailed a second check for $704.90. Both checks cleared. Now they want another $58.70 a month, bringing my annual premium to $2,114.70 or $176.23 a month. I will not pay them a third time. I know they will report me to a credit bureau and they I will have no Plan D this year. Be careful. I have advised my agent.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I pay nearly 1,400 dollars per MONTH 16,800 per year for my family coverage. SO I can count 18,800 a year with the 2,000 dollar deductible before they pay anything. Not to mention the huge co pays. I had to switch from Coventry because the plan was going away. I never had a problem with paying the high rate there because the plan paid out.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I ** hate you with a seething passion, Aetna. First, I go through 30 minutes of transfers and being put on hold try to get info on my company's infertility policy through Aetna, all to be told that my wife, who also works full time, must be on the line at the same time as me in order to verbally agree or some BS. Well, we've both taken time out of our day to call, and have been on hold for 20 minutes now! We have stuff to do! We have jobs and can't afford to be on the line for 20 ** MINUTES just to get a verbal confirmation to be in this program. This is insane. All we want to do is have access to the infertility coverage through my company. It shouldn't take a literal HOUR just to get "enrolled." This whole company is an absolute racket.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Aetna RX Mail Delivery - I mailed my...sigh, perfectly monthly prescription because of non filling at any Pharmacy. (I’m too old to “drug store shop”) All I have to say is they lost my prescription upon receiving (and signing for $$$) for 6 days causing me to go without any opioid medication. They found it and I told them to mail it back (that will teach them). Now I must “drug store shop” again...

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Made the mistake of trying Aetna just to save a buck. The old saying you get what you paid for is true! One of the Parkinson's meds I take was 40.00 at Kaiser. Almost 400.00 with Aetna! Have a major medical condition that requires me to go to a specialty clinic. Rep I spoke to with customer service offered Spokane - a 8 hour drive! Parkinson's makes it difficult to drive more than a hour. Worst decision I ever made switching. Hopefully I survive financially.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I had to get a prior authorization for a drug. My doctor sent them a prior authorization form twice. They responded to him saying I was approved for the drug. Then when I call them they have no record of it whatsoever and they tell me he never sent anything. Terrible communication at this company, quite disappointed with their service.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I am very disappointed with the way my appeal was handled twice! I called Aetna twice prior to having this procedure done and was advised it will be covered under medical. My dentist advised that they do not bill Aetna and I will have to submit the bill directly to Aetna to be reimbursed. I did everything I was supposed to do, with the paperwork, receipts and the doctor signing off on the bill. Aetna staff totally disregarded the fact that their staff gave me incorrect information, and I was misled and was denied the reimbursement without acknowledging or apologizing on their incompetent, unskilled staff doing this. In situations like this, for this amount, and not being thousands, one would think Aetna would do the right thing ethically and with integrity but they did not and continued to deny the appeal... Organizations like this should not be in the healthcare business because they are doing more harm than good to people...

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My wife and I have spent about $3000.00 getting ready for bariatric surgery. When we were forced to renew our coverage in January all of the plans excluded bariatric benefits. Aetna has been completely inflexible and callous through the whole ordeal. I have paid thousands of dollars to them over the years and have rarely had to use them for anything other than prescriptions. They have become very wealthy from people like myself paying them and them not doing what they exist to do which is to assist with medical needs. Aetna is owned by CVS and CVS will never get any of my business from now on.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Was put on Aetna Medicare by the employer I retired from. Previously had Blue Cross which was great. Since being switched to Aetna I have been denied coverage for 3 prescription drugs I have been taking for years. I assume since they own CVS doing this saved them money, with no concern for my health. BC/BS covered all of them. AETNA denied a CT scan because their doctor didn't approve. If you call them have a translator on the phone as you won't understand anything their outsourced employee says. Hate this company and insurance. Look elsewhere for coverage.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My name is Robin, I am 52 yrs old. I am currently suffering from a major depression disorder. Let me tell you I would not wish this on anyone. I was hospitalized inpatient for 7 days at Lindner Center of Hope in Cincinnati. I found myself "lost" when I came home. They did not have a magic pill or potion to make this depression, stress, loneliness, anxiety, darkness and gloom disappear (of course).

I was home on late on Nov 15th and my 1St therapy was scheduled for Dec 18. I was beyond OVERWHELMED. BUT, Susan **, an Aetna RN nurse was actually the support I leaned on, A true Godsend. She is kind, sympathetic, caring, empathetic, resourceful, loving, reliable, trustworthy, patient, understanding AND TRULY DEVOTED. She was and is my ROCK. The most compassionate person I have ever met. Without her I may ended up back at inpatient psych hospital or dead without her. I am so deeply grateful and forever genuinely thankful for Susan **, my Aetna case EMmy "Rock". (Hugs) I will never forget how she gives me hope and light when I cannot see any. She is my cheerleader and support. My "Life saver".

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I've had Aetna prescription coverage for several years and have no problem with the premium. Last fall I noticed irregularities and contacted them wanting clarification. I hesitate to make these kinds of calls as I realize it will take an hour or more for a minute of conversation but I persevered. I got nowhere with the telephone answering person as they were completely unskilled in their job. I asked for someone with a little more insight to give me a call in order to straighten out the matter. I was assured of the call but never received one.

My last letter (10/15/18) from Aetna was a notice to pay a small amount before the end of the year to prevent cancellation. My wife sent a check prior to Christmas in order to preclude the cancellation. Given the holidays and the inept operation within Aetna, my check was not posted until Jan 3. I received a letter of cancellation. I called, spent another one and one-half hours attempting to salvage the situation without success. I talked with six brain donor candidates that knew nothing about the tenants of their company policy or procedures. I talked with my agent who suggested I talk with Medicare about securing a 'Special Election Period' consideration but was denied based on Aetna's one-sided description of events.

I am appalled at the disgustingly poor quality of customer support that is in Aetna's workforce. I have received from Aetna, a number of letters over the last several years that were in error without them ever responding to explain. But their word is final with Medicare? This is beyond wrong. Aetna is incompetent and unskilled. There will be no more Aetna coverage of anything.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have Aetna Better Health MD after losing my job. Nothing is covered. I don't drive and there's one available therapist who takes this insurance within a 20 mile radius. I just used the mobile app to find an obgyn. I got a list of providers, called the clinic for an appointment, and was told they don't take Aetna Better Health MD. Why are they listed on the app? So I called Aetna so I could talk to someone who could help me find an obgyn who takes this insurance. I was given one choice (a male - I would prefer a female) who has horrible reviews on Google, apparently has no website, and appears to be a urologist and not an obgyn. I'm not even going to bother with trying to use this unless some emergency pops up.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Have STD through my employer. The claims person failed to make initial contact. I contacted him. We've spoken 3 or 4 times on the phone and he seemed to get it regarding my treatment. I'm coordinating two healthcare systems and having problems getting my medical records sent. It's stressful coordinating visits and trying to get records sent from two systems. This is the second time my claim was closed due to not receiving records. The last time, the claim was reopened and things were fine. Their workability website is designed so it is the SOLE method of communication. This is a BIG FAIL.

I left two requests for a call beginning the week before Christmas (no call back) and again this week. My call was specifically about treatment updates and to see if records had been received. No return call. I'm on the verge of talking with an attorney. I received a letter stating records hadn't been received and that I owe my company $ going back to Nov 19th as that was the last approved date. The lack of human contact is clearly how they avoid payments. I want to return your work, but not until treatment is finished. With me they're about to see I'm the wrong person to treat unfairly as is the treating facility that has failed 2x to provide Aetna with records.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

It covers very little - I know Doctors and hospitals cost a lot, but as a temporary employee I spent many years without insurance, however now that I have it through my husband's employer, I find that it covers very little. Annual wellness and mammograms are covered, yet if they find something wrong, it's up to YOU to pay for it. However, my Doctor's office nor the lab told me that I would have to pay. Now I'm stuck with a ton of bills because Aetna firmly stands that yes, I have to pay for all of this. But until you meet your deductible, you cover it.

The deductible is way high, but if I want it lower, we'll have to pay MORE each week. How can anyone afford insurance anymore? Yet if someone without a job could walk in and get something done, and somebody else will pay for it! But if you are a hard working person and get insurance, the company you work for is getting ripped off. They're charging the companies more. It's all unfair. Now I know why my mom never went to the doctors and now I'm not going to either. I'll go for my annual wellness and that's it. If they find something, oh freakin well.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I had a simple wellness visit over a year ago. My husband's employer is a very large employer and they pay large amounts for our coverage. A simple wellness visit turned into a 13 month nightmare because Aetna refused to cover it. Aetna used every excuse - from claiming I had co-insurance (I haven't had co-insurance for 13 years), to claiming they already paid it (they absolutely didn't). The number of phone calls to Aetna, my husband's HR dept, and the billing dept of my local physician was absolutely ridiculous. I will be filing a formal complaint with the governing board.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Customer Care is in the Philippines, they won't understand U.S. English. I asked them why a reimbursement claim that was approved in early November, and was sent for final processing never arrived by late December. I contacted them to ask where the claim is; of course, they respond, "You sent a claim?" When I asked, I quoted the other rep's email - of course they didn't understand. If you call them on a weekday, chances are that you will encounter a U.S.-based rep. I've had to complain too many times this year about the horrible, overseas customer care, and I'll switch plans next year. My complaints went to the BBB, and they responded, mostly, with a lackey reason they screwed up.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

This is the biggest scam happening in our country. They deny services to paying customers without a medical review. I have platinum insurance, costing my employer +$2,500 per month. Yet, I have had claims for therapies, imaging and specialists denied over and over. Thank God I know how to advocate for myself and go through with calling, appealing etc. I worry about those who are too sick to fight back, the elderly, or the undereducated who don't know their rights. Who is advocating for them? There needs to be a federal regulatory agency that oversees insurance companies! Aetna is operating death panels, deciding who gets treatment on a whim or, most probably, based on what it will cost them to do the right thing.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

The cost is roughly $240.00 monthly, however I pay a whopping $85.00 co-pay at Doctors for visit. A person without insurance pays $90.00. How is it better? The deductible is $6000,00. dollars. Is difficult to find specialty area doctors to take this insurance.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Where do I start... 11/15 I had a bad car accident that caused me to have bulging disc. I've sent police report, MRI bill, etc 3x! It just a never ending vicious circle of ignorance. First they never got the paperwork. Then they didn't get all of them. Then I sent it a 3rd time and the paperwork was too dark on the copies. Well turn the contrast down on the printer technology savvy people! I have an accident, not at fault and clearly the police report says it. So now the paperwork will be "escalated to processing department". You get insurance to be secure when life happens. They probably should hire retired people that have lived life and can understand doing one thing fully at a time and life does stop because of unforeseen events happen.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

So, I found out why I was charged twice in the same month. They didn’t tell me that they bill a month in advance. It was November on the 5th and December on the 23rd. I would have never agreed to that. Because of that I lost half of my social security for November. (Bank let it go though not their fault/I didn’t have the money so the charges and overdraft fees cost me dearly.) I tried calling Aetna last Friday but couldn’t get through. Also tried on Monday. I spoke with another Medicare supplemental insurance company and found out you can cancel the supplemental insurance plan anytime (I’m working on doing that now) during the year. An Advantage plan only yearly at open enrollment time. I hope that I helped someone with this information.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My wife and I signed up in 2017 initially for the Aetna Medicare advantage hmo. We wanted to be sure that our primary care physician of 25 years was in the plan. However, after receiving our Aetna ID cards, we noticed a different doctors name. When we called Aetna, we were told that while our doctor was in their network, he was only categorized as a gastroenterologist specialist and could not be our primary care physician. We then were forced to switch our Aetna HMO plan to a PPO plan, as we were already into 2017 and past the Medicare cut off date. Aetna after reviewing our complaint regarding the misinformation we were given about our primary care physician, agreed to switch our plan to a PPO. The cost of the PPO plan was to be approximately $75 per month for each of us.

After several months we began to notice that the $75 premium was not being deducted from our Social Security deposits. We called Aetna 3 times to resolve this issue and were told that the deduction was being taken. We then made multiple calls to Social Security and were also assured that the premium was being deducted. We knew that both Aetna and Social Security were wrong, but after several attempts to correct this problem, we gave up. To add to our frustration, even though we were now covered under the Aetna PPO plan, our doctor was still being considered a specialist and not a primary care physician. Several attempts by us and our doctor to get Aetna to correct this issue were unsuccessful.

Fast forward to June 2018, and now Aetna wakes up and determines that, yes, we were not being billed the $75 per month and we were to now pay for the premiums for all of 2017, January to June 2018, and they would finally begin to deduct the payment beginning in October 2018. Aetna even sent us a payment book to begin the back payments. So the bottom line is, we never did get the PPO coverage we requested because our doctor still was not being recognized as a primary care physician, and we have pay about $2,000 in PPO payments. Needless to say, beginning in 2019, Aetna will not be our health care insurance provider. We will also be taking legal action to deny Aetna the PPO payments.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Aetna/MHBP no longer allows a wife or any dependent to receive their personal information or monies from their insurance company. ALL information regarding dependent's PERSONAL information is mailed directly to the primary holder on the insurance. Aetna has not yet figured out that women have achieved equality in most avenues of life, and at the very least, able to handle their own health details. Discrimination.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Updated on 12/01/2018: So as I wrote previously I’m being charged for both Medicare supplemental insurance plan and Medicare Advantage plan. On the 5th of November 2018, I was charged 240.74 for my supplemental and 20.00 processing fee For supplemental insurance, I have life insurance also 36.00 taken out. I went to pick up my pharmacy prescriptions November 29th and my bank card was declined (I’m on social security/disability). I was confused so when I got home I went to my banking site to find out why my card was declined. Aetna had taken out another 240.74 and 36.00 life insurance on November 23rd.

I’m so angry right now, I can’t see straight. They took money out twice. I’ve tried calling. Was on hold so long I hung up. I need help?? These people have screwed me over so bad. I just want disenroll altogether and start over and find another company to go with. I thought I was doing the right things trying to make sure I was covered. It’s now a nightmare. I’m new to Medicare so I’m not as smart as I thought I was. I relied on them knowing what they were doing. I don’t turn 65 until next year. Help Me!!

Original Review: I spoke with a person and signed up for the Medicare Advantage plan. I immediately started looking for the doctors I needed, I wasn’t able to find a doctor who could give me the medical attention that I needed. I called Aetna and explained the problem, and told them a supplemental plan would best fit my needs. I could keep my doctors I have, I explained I had signed up for the advantage plan and wanted to cancel it. I was told, "Sure. We can do that. I’ll transfer you to that department," so I signed up for the supplemental insurance plan. When it was all set up I was transferred to the department that could cancel the advantage PPO.

Talked to a woman who told over the phone it was no problem to do, she told me, "You’re all set. The PPO plan is cancelled." I said, "Good. So now all I have is the Supplemental insurance plan so I can keep my doctors", "Yes. The advantage plan is cancelled." "Good. I feel so much better." (Keep in mind the phone calls are recorded.) Now it’s November. I have found out I’m signed up and being charged for both plans the Supplemental insurance plan and the Advantage insurance plan so I call Aetna to find out what’s going on. Why am I on both plans? Advantage started in October 2018. The Supplemental plan started November 2018. I’m told I have to submit in writing to cancel the Advantage plan. I say I’m being charged for both.

I say I spoke with someone who told me over the phone they cancelled the Advantage plan. Suddenly no one knows what I’m talking about. I say you tape the conversations. Pull the tapes. I was told the Advantage plan was cancelled. I’m told I have to fill out a form and mail it in to cancel the Advantage plan. I spoke with a different Medicare company who does the same thing help find Medicare plans they told me and I quote. It is illegal to be signed up for both the Medicare Advantage insurance plan and the Medicare Supplemental insurance plan and the last plan I signed up for was the one that is the valid plan.

I’ve called Aetna. Now I’m waiting for them to send me a form to fill out to cancel the Medicare Advantage plan. I have both plans in front of me. What a headache I didn’t understand the difference between the plans. Now I’m stressed out about what’s happening and feeling very sad that no one over there gets what I’m going through. I’m writing this to help anyone who is reaching the time to start looking for a plan that will work best for you. I wish I had understood, that 20% that we have to pay had me worried I wanted to protect myself. And this is what happened.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I am a licensed psychologist who is appalled at what can only be described as Aetna's relentless effort to find obscure reasons to kick me off the panel, in effect ending treatment for my patients who need it. For some, it is literally a matter of life and death. On two occasions now I have receive an EOB in the mail letting me know that I am no longer in network and that all of the recent claims I submitted were denied. This leaves the patient who is already in extreme distress in the difficult position of having to fight with Aetna to have the claims reimbursed. Almost always Aetna is unwilling to reimburse and the client ends up not only needing to pay but also hesitant to continue treatment.

The reasons I have been kicked off out of the blue include minor non-compliance issue and nonsensical red tape. For example, the last time I was kicked off because I didn't reply in time to the constant prompts they send to providers to update their practice info. I get that you want my updated info but it seems unreasonable to gamble with a person's life to get it. The worst part? I don't think Aetna cares one bit.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Newly diagnosed adult type 1 diabetic. I didn't have years to prevent or a diet to change because it was developed as part of failing thyroid disease. I don't understand how Aetna could continue to deny and delay approving life threatening need for insulin. I don't have a thyroid and produce no insulin. While Aetna is waiting on paperwork pushing 90 days prescription, I could go into diabetic shock. I'm very upset with the politics of also telling us which drug to use when some generic brands have failed me for years. I want someone to understand that I'm just trying to live longer than 45 years old.

Aetna expert review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information

Aetna
www.aetna.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.