Aetna Health Insurance

Aetna Health Insurance

3.2/5 (3149 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Aetna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

After turning 65 a few years ago, I had to find supplemental insurance. I started with Humana. Being a low income person, most of the services were low costs and low co-pay. My 2 medicines were also free. I talked to someone who said my rates would stay the same for a year. In one word...LIE. After 3 months, my rates went up nearly $100 more a month, and I was STUCK until Nov, due to Obamacare. Then, at the same time, my cholesterol med changed from zero to $8. I called and was told that medicine was reclassified to a higher level. I protested and said it was not nice that I have to pay $8, while their CEO was making $220 million, and asked them to remove that med. I found a website that charged me $10 for the same med, but was glad to change. BOTTOM LINE: In Nov, I dropped inHumana, and tried Aetna. This will be my 4th year (they now added vision coverage), and I am satisfied. My 2 meds (now 3) are still free. Thank you Aetna.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Aetna Insurance has been a great help to me. I have never had any kind of problem with the insurance or anyone that I have had to speak with. They have been extremely helpful in answering all my questions, even the dumb ones. They helped me understand how everything will be going for me after being diagnosed with lung cancer. Caring, understanding and helpful. Can't get any better than that.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

My husband had an accident and was in three hospitals for a total of nine weeks. After our $3000 deductible, everything was covered 100%. This was one less thing for me to worry about while he was recovering and not working.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

My wife and I have recently become more physically ill at 79 years of age and so we have filed more claims with Aetna. Aetna has responded quickly and paid for much of the charges by our family physician, our eye doctor, and my urologist. I am very happy with Aetna's providing of these charges.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Excellent customer service experience every time I connect with rep either online or via phone. Additionally, the website is very intuitive. As far as information is concerned that will guide me when I am looking for anything pertaining to my health insurance info or providers.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Tried and failed 3 times to get a simple cardiac stress test authorized. I had to cancel THREE appointments. They will blame their vendor Evercore, but I contracted with Aetna, not Evercore! The worst! Would not recommend to my worst enemy!

Original review: April 13, 2022

I switched to Aetna CVS Health Insurance in Jan 2022 and the benefits summary appeared to be pretty good. What I didn't realize is that they want to decide what medications I take even at the objections of my doctors. We have spent 2 months requesting prior authorizations, appealing, appealing again and all they say is NO, try an alternative that we (insurance company) likes better. How can an insurance company be allowed to decide what medicines are right for me? This is completely backwards.

When I called to ask that question of the Insurance company, they hung up the phone. As of now, I have stopped taking the medication because I can't afford to pay the retail prices. My pharmacist told me that he sees this often, especially older Americans stop taking their medicines because they simply cannot afford them and they are at the mercy of insurance companies. Is that really how it is supposed to work?

Original review: April 4, 2022

I had Aetna 2 years in a row. I was promised my monthly free med when I signed up, it turned out I had to pay $100/month copay, I appealed but it was useless, the powers that be insisted I keep paying the $100/month copay. I had to pay $250 copay for an ER visit, $5/ month copay for a monthly test, $140/month copay for a sleeping pill, $600.00 copay for a Cardiovascular drug performed during a stress test, that's a lot of money when you're on SS.

I'm still paying it off, all this adds up monthly to an Insurance advertising they are by and large "FREE." They are not. I have Blue Cross advantage Medicare now, medication is drastically cheaper. I still have to pay the standard $45.00 to see a Specialist, my $100 monthly med copay I paid at Aetna is reduced to $10.00 copay with Blue Cross. When I started getting Medical bills in the mail for the years I had Insurance with Aetna, I thought this Insurance was guaranteed to drastically reduce medical bills, not increase them. I've had Blue Cross for most of my life, these other Insurances can't hold a candle to them!!

Original review: March 31, 2022

Aetna denied me getting a crown on a broken front tooth even though I have 50% coverage in and out of network! I pay them $140 a week! Why?! Just a bunch of thieves! Run as far away from this company as you can!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

P.O.A for my mother who has dementia. They can't seem to find the P.O.A document that I have sent over several times and which came with the application. Now they've hired people offshore, a no-no in my book when it comes to sensitive information. Bye-bye Aetna.

Aetna author review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information