1.06/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Aetna Health Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

705 Aetna Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

A representative for Aetna called because I applied for health insurance through a website online. He wanted a credit card or my bank account number so I told him I would think about it and call him back. He says very rudely "what's to think about". I also wanted to get information sent to me but they "don't do that" he says. Makes me wonder if it's a scam and he didn't sound very professional, not like when I talk to HSBC or Geico representatives. Has anyone experienced this type of call from Aetna?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I called the billing department when I noticed they did not withdraw my auto deduct payment from my bank in August. They told me I had a 352.20 credit to my account from public assistance. It took them 2 months to straighten that out, they assured me it was all settled. This month I check my bank statement and they took out 501.20 when they should have taken 179.20, bounced my account and the ** tell they will call me back. When I ask no answer. I know from the last time it took 15 days for them to get back to me. They are beyond incompetent!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I received a bill from Aetna Pharmacy Management, and the only way it could be paid was via a check or credit card number using their return envelope. Not online, not over the phone. This is 2017; who doesn’t have a website to accept payments? Setting aside this pointless restriction that smacks off payment obstruction... The envelope provided was plain paper with no security features whatsoever - anyone could plainly read my credit card information through it. Trust me when I say I will hold Aetna liable for any loss incurred.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Aetna took a payment out of my checking account after I told them not to because I wanted to change insurance companies. I called them and they were very nasty with me and demanded I write them a letter stating the name of my new insurance company, my policy number, and reason for changing insurance companies. I did as they demanded and when I called my new insurance company to let them know what Aetna demanded from me, they said it is a federal law that Aetna reimburse me for the insurance payment and I have a right to change insurance companies.

I feel my civil rights were violated and my privacy was invaded when Aetna demanded to know my new insurance policy number. Aetna also made a fraudulent withdraw from my checking account. I have contacted the BBB, my bank, and I wrote a letter to the Insurance Commissioner. So far nobody has helped me get my money back. I am on Social Security and Aetna took away my money for medication and food for the month of September. Can anyone help me? Please? People beware of Aetna Insurance Co.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Aetna denied my child's coverage for using a doctor that was not her primary. Problem is I was going through a divorce and moved out of state and could not use her primary. I called and talked to every person I could or was allowed to and all were dead ends. I would not recommend this company to any person or business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Aetna Insurance promotes itself as Healthcare joined with State of AZ Medicaid Program. Not informed, consulted; nor did I consent to becoming a part of that program; already had full coverage mandated by law through UHC. Found out at an appointment, denied to be seen based on false and derogatory information place in the State of AZ Healthcare System by the State of AZ. Six months AZ Administrative Court process restored by right to choose my own healthcare insurance provider back to UHC.

Stressful ordeal to argue my case against Jill **, attorney, for Aetna against the State of AZ for violation of my rights. UHC filed suit against Aetna on their own matters; had to obtain AZ Court permission to be able to do so outside of the Administrative hearing process I was restricted to. Aetna delayed, denied, did not pay my medical expenses liable for during six month period of time. Aetna did not reimburse me for medical expenses I paid during that time; required. AZ in collusion, complicit in violation of my rights, ongoing failure to provide healthcare coverage detailed, outline in my UHC dual complete healthcare benefits coverage publications.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

My 13 year old son's Foot and Ankle Surgeon ordered an MRI to determine if his foot had a stress fracture. Aetna denied this MRI based upon published "international and national" standards. When I asked why this was denied, the standards were cited. I have spent over 3 hours trying to push this MRI through. In the meantime, it has been 10 days and we still don't have an MRI. I pay 1614.00 a month for my coverage. My son's bones are breaking and an MRI will help us determine why but no one will accept ownership inside the company.

Last year they approved the MRI in one day. Not sure what is going on this year with Aetna. Customer service people are less knowledgeable also. I was told I could have my doctor do a peer to peer review or a reconsideration, but a reconsideration would take 5 more days. Policy should change that automatically denies MRIs until after 2 weeks according to industry standards and need to then submit an additional request for an MRI.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I have had multiple claims now with Aetna and selected the plan I did because it 100% covered childbirth. After having a child born I have had to call the company 5 times to get claims adjusted appropriately and have been given a litany of excuses as to why it was filed wrong ranging from they accidentally used last year's rates or the person doing the previous claim was missing information etc. Perhaps reasonable the first time. The 5th time it simply astounding. They assured me they were fixing the claim and I owed nothing each time. I didn't realize they had utterly failed to properly pay the hospital when I got a call from a debt collector. Fortunately the hospital was agreeable and placed my account on hold until insurance actually pays properly.

Aetna had my wife registered as a male. They had ages wrong. They have reliably filed claims wrong. They are utterly incapable of doing their job and should not be trusted -- it's not my job to hound the insurance company. I already pay them exorbitant fees. I expect professionalism and accountability. I am switching back to Blue Cross Blue Shield after this horror show of a company.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have been getting my Flu shots at Rite Aid for 3 yrs. This year I went to Rite Aid only to be told that Aetna won't cover the high dose Flu vaccine they have. Aetna only will do generic vaccines and my pharmacy handles only ** that offers increased protection for at risk seniors. I contacted Aetna for a review that they ignored. I have been bounced around through 6 different service reps for hours only to be told that medical and not prescriptions with pay for the shot. Went back to Rite Aid and again rejected by Aetna. This company has no respect or compassion for its members. Absolutely horrible to deal with. I will be going back to the pharmacy and paying cash for this vaccine. So Sad that they treat seniors this way.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I am a counselor in Illinois. Recently, I left full-time employment to pursue part-time private practice. This involves becoming credentialed with the various insurance companies so that one can receive payment. Becoming credentialed with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Cigna was straightforward. It took some time, but there were no real snags. Aetna, however, has been a nightmare. The practice I joined used to work out of another city than it does now. It's been where it's currently located for several years now. I never put down the old address on any of the forms I completed. My guess is that Aetna got it from the tax ID they wanted and I submitted -- I submitted the one for the practice, since I don't have one individually. They sent me an email to say that I was credentialed, but when I got a potential client who had Aetna and I double-checked, they said I was 'in-network' at the old location, but 'out-of-network' at the current location.

I would have to fax a letter requesting that my contract be connected to the current location. It would take about two weeks for this to go through. I did so back in early May. During subsequent calls -- many of them -- it had never gone through, although they had gotten the fax. They don't appear to have a system that keeps them up-do-date on what's happening with an account, so that I'd have to tell the whole story over and over and over again. Forget being able to work consistently with one person -- they don't even have individual extensions. Various people told me that they had expedited -- or in their lingo 'escalated' the process. They'd tell me that it would go through in 5-7 days. But when I'd call back to check, I'd be told that I was still out-of-network where I'm actually practicing.

One person actually told me that I was 'good to go' and I subsequently called another potential client with the news who countered with: "Oh, that's interesting. I checked and they don't show you as in-network." It is now late August and after having been told during my last call that the process had been 'escalated' and would take 5-7 days to go through, I was told this morning, that it will take 30 days. I told them to forget it.

If they're this poor at credentialing, I can't imagine the hassle that billers and customers have getting them to pay legitimate bills. Indeed, the man who owns the practice in which I work told me that he'd advise me to forget them and that he had pulled himself out of their network. I genuinely feel for people who rely on Aetna to pay their medical bills. That's got to be horrible to be sick and absolutely need and deserve coverage (that you've purchased) and be given such a horrific runaround. If you can deal with another insurance company, do.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I had a procedure done in mid January 2017 and they still haven't been able to get the claim adjusted correctly. It is now mid-August and after over 20 phone calls and having my company involved, my initial claim and subsequent claims are so messed up. I am in total disbelief that living human beings could be so ignorant. I even sent in a letter adjusting the claims for them according to how much they pay the doctors for the various services and they still can't get it right. They admitted numerous times to me that there was something wrong with the way the claims were handled too. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have never experienced such incompetence before!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Prior to signing up with Aetna, I talked to an Aetna "customer service" representative about drug costs and was told that the cost of medications do not apply to my deductible. Not true. I was charged full price for my prescriptions. They paid zero. I called to find out which pharmacies were in network and was told by another uninformed representative that I had no choice, I HAD to use their mail-away company. After paying a high price through the mail away, I found out today that I can use many other pharmacies and the cost would be HALF of what I paid through Aetna. I was lied to again!!! I would not recommend Aetna to anyone. The representatives have no idea what they are talking about and they make up the answers as they go along. Come November, I'm OUT!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have been dealing with Aetna for a claim I found out was not paid in 2014 and it is 2017. The customer service has been the worst. I have encountered a rude escalation Manager and the supervisors don't know any more than the specialist. They give out contradictory info and lack service training. I have even had managers that say they will call back but don't. I have a long list of service reps name and even requested that the tape from one call be pulled because the rep was so rude. This is the worst and to say that my employer chooses them over other reputable companies saddens me. How do you get anything accomplished with this company. Someone help!

Original review: July 25, 2017

Needed MRI and was denied by their 3rd party. Stated had one 5 years ago. Dr tried peer to peer but no go. I got stuck with Aetna. No choice what retirement benefits changed to. As soon as I can I getting out. The company tells you one thing and it turns out to be wrong. Looks like their third party for precertification only wants to save them money.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Recently changed jobs, new job uses Aetna Insurance. First time I refilled my diabetes medication I received a letter saying the drug ** won't be covered. They recommend a medication that's been around for 50 years my doctor said. Very unhappy with this insurance co.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Aetna Medicare "offers" dental care via Delta. I went to first exam: coming out of commercial dental care (my bro is a dentist...) was still subjected to "complete xrays and panorex." "For my convenience, was given a fluoride treatment... (Cost: uncovered $25.00). Dentist came in, poked around... Said everything was FINE, and off he went. Hygienist went to work. At the end, she hands me a clipboard with a list of "issues," and says that she will not be able to do another cleaning until I have their Deep Cleaning program, which includes injection of ** into the gum areas. Price: $1200.00. WTF! "No, thank you, my bro will do the job. (That doesn't need to be done.)

Flash forward six months: call for hygiene appointment: "Oh, we can't DO that until we do $1200 job. NOT... Call to other dentists on the Aetna/Delta plan: they are ALL part of the one group that has Delta monopoly and NONE of them will do a routine hygiene without dental visit (Aetna only pays for ONE every 24 MONTHS!) and they are able to see that I am "flagged" for $1200.00 treatment. Discussion with Aetna and Delta have been totally USELESS. Back to my usual hygienist, out of pocket. AETNA does NOT provide good dental coverage... BEWARE.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Stay away! If you must use them have their number on speed dial. Aetna International gave me the run around for 14 months! I now have a permanent hit on my credit report because they failed to pay a claim in a timely fashion (they finally PAID in full). Aetna constantly processed claims incorrectly or only in part (I was 100% covered). I had to call Aetna at least 2-3x per claim to get them resubmitted before they would pay. Aetna delayed payments by requesting records while the hospital had already sent 3x. Aetna once told me all my previous 8 claims so far that year were processed incorrectly. So now I needed to pay.

The only way I was able to get my claims processed was to call over and over until I got an honest Rep (who they probably fired!). I had to play dumb and ask him all about my policy and give him hypothetical questions and scenarios. And He would come back "Yes, you are covered" so then, only then, I said "Ok, well please have a look at these claims numbers and tell me am not covered?" Finally PAID in full. They are dishonest, untrained, or both at processing claims.

Original review: July 11, 2017

This has been the worst experience with an insurance company that I have ever had! My husband has this as a retired member of a company. I have been told I was not a member... even though they were taking the money out. They kept saying my account had to be updated. Finally they found out I was a member. Now they don't want me to send in a check for my medication, and they have my medication on hold. They want to directly take it out of the bank.

I have always been able to pay for my medication by check through other insurances. But now they have a "special" team to say if they will accept a check. Please do yourself a favor and skip this insurance. If I had it to do over, I would have skipped this insurance that was provided by my husband's company and went elsewhere! I'm counting the months till January. Oh and FYI, the survey you take after talking to a representative is only about the rep, not the company. I guess they would get tired of hearing all the complaints.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Unbelievable. My husband quit his job March 30. On March 31, Aetna Specialty Pharmacy called to ask if I wanted my very expensive medication filled. I told the agent "I probably am not covered. My spouse left his job and that is how I get my coverage". The agent said "Ok, well let's see if it approves..." and then "Oh yes, you are still covered, should we send it to you? I replied sure. Well you can guess what happened. I got a bill for $2702.61.

I called Aetna and explained to them what happened. They will look into it. Got a bill in the mail today (July 10). Spoke to a supervisor who told me " You should have known ". I responded that I did in fact inform the rep. She told me that there was no one higher up that I could speak with. I said "Look, I did not reach the shelf, pull out the bottle and send it. I did not make that decision - you did". After threatening to go to the local TV stations, she backed down and suddenly discovered someone she could talk to... this should be interesting! These people are horrible. No request is too small to deny. No amount of common sense will get in the way of poor customer care.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I was so disappointed with Aetna insurance company services provided in Dubai. They are very slow in assessing submitted claims and form and plus I was shocked to see them rejecting an emergency case although doctor confirmed it's an emergency and their doctors who are totally unexperienced with this severe case didn't accept specialized doctor assessment. I am so surprised how an international company globally who is totally a non customer focused service provider.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I was on the phone with Aetna Provider Relations Dept for over an hour trying to resolve an issue regarding "Why our State of Delaware employee patients are being issued medical cards that have random physician names on them and not ours". After an hour of talking to 2 separate provider reps... I asked to be transferred to our PROVIDER REPRESENTATIVE and was told that I could not speak to my rep, but had to fax a letter stating what I needed to speak to the rep about. The rep will receive the fax and decide if my request warrants a return call. They would not even supply me with my rep's name or email. So needless to say our patients (well over 200-300) will receive insurance cards with incorrect primary care names on them, they will need to contact member services to ask to have our name added again and then they will issue ANOTHER card to our patients. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME.

Original review: June 27, 2017

As a practice manager I made many attempts to secure contracts for behavioral health providers and have been refused each time. Network management will not allow phone calls, direct emails to discuss the practitioners' qualifications. They provide only a basic form to complete and then send a denial stating the network is full. The network is not full, open choice is a right in this country (at least today it is) yet Aetna clamps the lid on new providers.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I had to go to Emergency Care to consult a doctor due to a sports related incident. After calling in with Aetna, having them pre-approve my visit and even resorting to an Aetna recommended partner hospital which allowed for Direct Billing, they ended up not covering for the hospital expenses. I only noticed when I was contacted by a Claims Management company acting on behalf of the hospital ca. 6 months after my visit. The ensuing months - long exchange battle was a farce and ended as it started: with Aetna's unwillingness to pay and general incompetence to communicate. The partner hospital cut their ties with Aetna as a result. I changed my insurance provider as a result. I carry deep-rooted despise for this insurance "provider". Never again!

Original review: June 8, 2017

As a pharmacist I spent almost 2 hours being shuffled around trying to get an override for a 10 month old seizure medication. I spoke to 8 different people and none could or would help me!!! This infant was going to have to go 15 days with NO seizure med!!! This is unacceptable!!! How can you sleep at night knowing you have left an infant with no life saving med??? Not only was my time wasted which put me behind but the problem was not solved.

Original review: June 2, 2017

As a physician, Aetna is the worst health insurance company that I have had to deal with. They are extremely difficult to communicate with on behalf of my patients. They are painfully slow in processing requests and appeals and make doctors repeat many steps of the process in advocating for patients. I recommend you seek other insurance if possible.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Aetna Health Ins was great while it was through an employer. Since I switched to Aetna Medicare it's a different story! I have to fight over every claim! Medical claims have to be sent twice. A dental reimbursement claim for $50 was sent 5 times with paid receipt and cancelled check and they are still arguing about it. Their website lacks important information that was included on the Employee member site. Forms have incorrect addresses - Email questions are responded to with canned robotic responses that don't answer the question. Most of their human customer service and claims reps appear not to be able to read and comprehend English. Cheap - but you get less than you paid for. Coverage looks great on paper - but try to get it - good luck! I pity seniors who are less able to deal with this nonsense - they will really get taken advantage of.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have a masters degree in healthcare administration and previously worked for a health insurance company for several years, and I find Aetna's plans impossible to understand and navigate! I have also found that the company will deny claims even for the most basic care! I will absolutely be changing my insurance carriers during my company's open enrollment!!!

Original review: May 9, 2017

I was hung up on when I ask for the quote to be sent to me via email before I agreed to the terms. I called back and wait time was so long that another party came on and took my information and said I would get a call back. They never called back. Hmmm.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I have this plan through my postal dental plan and it is very affordable and covers more than the other plans out there and you don't have a waiting period to get your benefits. This is a very nice benefit that most other plans also don't offer! And with the low price, you can't beat this plan in my opinion!

Original review: April 25, 2017

My local pharmacy, participating in Aetna, costs $12.88 for generic ** for 30 days. Aetna helpfully informs me that I can order it through their online pharmacy, and get 90 days. Yes, that's convenient. But the cost for 90 days is $408.37. Price confirmed by calling the pharmacy contact line and speaking to an agent because the automated machine doesn't know what ** is. So to save drop-bys at my pharmacy, I have to pay 1056% for the medication? WTH?

Aetna expert review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.
    • Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.
    • Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.
    • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.
    • Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens
    Profile picture of Joseph Burns
    Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information