Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Aetna Health Insurance

Aetna Health Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I have always had a positive experience with Aetna. I had one overnight hospital stay a couple of years ago for monitoring. All I had to pay was my $60 copy for emergency room. I visit my PCP two or three times a year with a small copy. I do have to pay a deductible for blood tests, but that is it. Overall I am very satisfied with their service.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I recently enrolled in Aetna Coventry Freedom Plus plan as my wife had previously done so. It has proved to be perfect for our needs, as a PPO it practically covers every medical care provider we would require including dental and vision. Although getting questions answered online via messaging can be a bit difficult for those atypical requests they do a fine job. I don't know why anyone would ever want or need to enroll in Part D.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I've been with Aetna for over six years and have full supplemental coverage. Claims from my providers have always been paid fully and promptly, even the humongous charges associated with a heart attack and medical, flight. As with all medical expenses, premiums have skyrocketed while most of us retirees have fixed incomes and that is starting to present a problem; but, that would be the same with any company. There have been absolutely no hassles and I'm happy.

Original review: April 10, 2019

After reviewing provider plan options offered by my employer selected Aetna as it covered all doctors used as well as all Rx. Now 3 months into coverage they indicate they will not be covering one of the name brand drugs. This appears to be bait and switch and am not happy with this. All in all Rx coverage much better than last year's Express Scripts which was terrible.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's an HMO with the attendant disadvantages, but Aetna teams with a local HMO coordination organization and things happen pretty fast, and I can call my primary care provider for a referral to a specialist usually (I've been his patient for many years, so he knows my background pretty well). In an area that is "doctor-challenged," I can usually be satisfied with the specialists furnished (recently balked at one and another - the one I wanted - was provided).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: March 28, 2020

I use an asthma inhaler. I called in a refill only to learn, on a Saturday morning that Aetna would no longer cover it. Aetna is closed on weekends, so left without critical meds. Why did Aetna not provide me with advance warning? I never experienced an issue like this with my prior provider.

Original review: March 25, 2020

My father was admitted to the hospital and then the doctor ordered rehab at skilled nursing facility. Aetna denied the claim. The hospital sent an expedited appeal. Aetna claimed they never got the most recent report. My father's deteriorating in the hospital, while the hospital fights with Aetna to get approval. The case manager said Aetna is notorious for denying referrals. Avoid Aetna like the plague!

Original review: March 22, 2020

No matter what the answer is NO, not in this lifetime or any other. They did not follow through, did not keep their word, did not provide what was fair and reasonable and DENIED EVERYTHING that cost me a fortune because they ALWAYS SAY NO. TOOK THE PROBLEM HIGHER... RESPONSE... NO. Was supposed to have a patient advocate... did they help, NO. The most dishonest, conniving, irresponsible, lying, useless health insurance company on the planet. DO NOT GO HERE. You will lose. Time, money, patience and anything else you want to achieve will never happen. They are horrible, horrible, horrible.

Original review: March 12, 2020

This company is so terrible my provider just dropped them, after 2 years I need to now shop around in network and rebuild the medical understanding of the last couple years. Let's reflect on that Aetna, you're equally atrocious to patients and doctors and every time I drive by your ridiculous castle off I84 in CT I'm reminded of how much money you're making and how goddamn poor of a job you do for the citizens of this country. You suck.

Original review: March 5, 2020

Called customer service in order to make doctor change. Javier located in Fla was not able to understand English, repeated a few times still, going off in another direction. This was the English line, not the Spanish, when I mentioned he is not following what I am saying, he said "Jesus!" and added some expletive, then " I will transfer you to someone else."

Aetna expert review by Joseph Burns

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.

• Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.

• Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information