Aetna Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On 10/27/16 I sent a check in the amount of $1,405 covering annual premium and $20 processing fee for Aetna Supplemental Health Insurance. The following week I received a letter dated 11/1/16 declining my application and stating I would receive my refund with seven to ten days. It is now 12/2/16 and I have not received my refund. I called and was told the check was cut 12/1/16. I don't know whether or not it was mailed but I consider their business policy disgraceful.

I went to the dentist for a surgical procedure for my daughter. The dentist office called right there and were told the dental procedure was covered and they even gave them a $ amount of coverage. They were never instructed to call medical or oral surgery department. Then, they turned around and denied the whole claim. Sent it to medical including the x-rays and doctor's visit. Aetna has created an "oral surgery department" as I was told by the rep when I called, to get away with not paying dental benefits and tricking the dentists and patients to keep their money. If you're a large business, don't get Aetna for you company, it's a terrible service for your workers.

I had an Aetna Medicare Advantage plan for 2016 (premier PPO). That plan rejected routine vaccinations by my approved doctor and made me appeal them to get them approved. In 2017 they took a generic medication, **, and arbitrarily switched it from tier 2 to tier 4, causing the copay to go from $15 to $100. Many people don't check their plans before renewing. Next year this will be a rude awakening for those on that medication who don't. This caused me to switched to another company, Gateway, for a drug savings of $600.

I called the 800# listed in the 2017 Medicare booklet for supplemental insurance on 10/10/16. The agent, Greg, signed me up after asking a lengthy series of questions to ensure I qualified, which I did. I waited and waited with no further contact until I called to expedite in early November. Was told application wasn't received until 10/26 and it was incomplete. No one called to tell me it was incomplete and here it was 2 weeks later. I was told I would be emailed the 'health' questions to get this thing going. No email. Called again. New Person.

Sent 3 pages which I had to print and then go out to a fax machine to return. Oops, I was sent the wrong page. I only found this out after calling again. I was resent page 6, printed it, filled it out and went out AGAIN to have it faxed. No call back. I called in 4 days only to be told they hadn't received page 6 but didn't matter because now they needed page 7 as well. Unbelievable. Then, after much prodding, they located page 6 but were going to email page 7. After escalating to a case manager, I received page 7 and went through my standard process. Now three times to a fax machine.

Called again to let the person know it was faxed. I was told to call yet another number and go through the questions with the Underwriting Dept. Of course, they had no paperwork for me but the nurse asked the questions anyway. I called, again, to let them know I spoke with Underwriting. In the meantime, I was sent yet another email telling me they failed to send me another required page. Then, for the very first time since 10/10, Lauren called me back to tell me I could ignore that email because I HAD BEEN DECLINED because of an AFIB diagnosis that occurred in 2007. Said the drugs taken for AFIB are on the automatic decline list and yet that was not mentioned when I answered the questions on 10/10 stating I had a AFIB diagnosis.

I am in shock. Never in all my years have I experienced such a complete lack of competency displayed from the very first phone call to the very last. This involved over 11 different people. I guess I should be grateful I was declined as I don't believe Aetna is a company I wish to have as an insurer. What a complete disgrace. I don't believe anyone at Aetna will read this but I hope it serves as a warning to other consumers to not waste your time as I did.

It used to be that health insurance was simple. You met your deductible and then the company paid 80% of the rest. Now we have all this details about certain labs, certain procedures. It's ridiculous. I must go to a cardiologist once a year for congestive heart failure. My insurance has always paid for my echo, my blood tests, etc... This year, they will approve none of it because they want you to go to a central lab - which doesn't even offer the tests I must have. When I called about this, the customer service rep (whose name was Wendell) came out of the blue and said, "Well, we don't care about you. Not at all." I thought I was hearing things, but he repeated it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, their CEO makes a quarter of a million dollars a day. Insurance companies are parasites on our population. We need to put them out of business with single payer medicare for all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

My experience with having Aetna as a health care provider has been nothing but problematic. With my salary being on the lower end (as I am in my early twenties and a full-time student), I qualified for Obamacare. However, even with that discount, the premium is $190.00, with the specialty co-pay at $45. The main care I receive is in regards to mental health, so I have always understood that, with any provider, specialty care is more expensive. However, paying $200 per month for insurance, $45 per week for therapy sessions, $45 per psychiatrist visits, plus the co-pay on my medications meant that I was a 21 year old full-time student spending $500 or more a month on health care.

When I began seeing my initial therapist, Aetna repeatedly sent her documents requiring personal information regarding my condition be sent to them. While I am not fully opposed to this, it becomes a major point of aggravation considering they opt to pay for things required due to my conditions. Regarding my medication, I am prescribed a stimulant for attention difficulties. More than once I was unable to pick up my prescription at the pharmacy because the insurance put a hold on it until my doctor gave a specific reason as to why I was prescribed it. I'm sorry, but if I have a legitimate doctor's prescription written, I deserve access to the medication. If Aetna is so curious as to know why I am on a medication, sure, let them inquire away and know all of my health information, but do not prevent me from accessing my medication in the meantime.

Due to the fact that I am on a stimulant/narcotic, my doctor initially drug tested me (to make sure she wasn't prescribing ** to someone prone to drug abuse). This typically should not be a problem because if it is required by my doctor, then it should typically be covered under my copay. However, 5-6 months later, I received an invoice from the drug testing company stating that my insurance only covered so much and it was then my responsibility to owe the remaining $200. (Mind you that money will not be coming out of my pocket.)

At one point I was having login problems and really needed to check whether my bill was accidentally overdue because I was being denied a necessary blood draw from an outpatient clinic due to insurance related reasons. Because of both the login problems and the coverage issue, I needed to call Aetna and speak with someone to help resolve the issue. I spent about 45 minutes speaking to computer operators and pressing numerous numbers on my dial pad trying to find someone to speak to, only to receive more computers. I then tried the Ask Ann icon on the website, only to realize this would not link me to Instant Messaging with an Aetna worker, but was simply a computer generated search engine (with a smiling woman's picture on it for some reason).

At some point I was finally able to speak with a real-life person (thank God) and explained I needed to pay my bill over the phone so I could finally go back and receive health care at the outpatient. While I thought she entered for the entirety of my bill to be paid, only one month was paid. Later in the month I finally resolved my login issues and found that my Auto-Pay had not been set up correctly, so my bills were not being paid. I was then told my balance was about $550.

Recently, I went to the pharmacy to have my prescriptions filled and found that the cost was $100 instead of the usual $30. I checked my balance and it is at $0 and my coverage should be covering the whole of this month. I called, but the computer (of course) on the other end told me it is always best to call the number on the back of my insurance card first. So I did this and talked with a kind woman about why my insurance is no longer covering anything. She checked things out, then asked if I had called my insurance first. Apparently my insurance card directed me to call the insurance MARKETPLACE, instead of Aetna itself (because why would Aetna be willing to speak with its own customers?). The woman on the end was still able to put in a notice and she did everything she could to help me.

However, those claims can take up to 30 days. This means that I will not be taking my medication and will have to cancel my doctor's appointments (because without insurance coverage those about $500 a session) for the rest of the month. I will clearly be buying new insurance during open enrollment and will discourage anyone I know from ever going through health care with this company.

After purchasing a medicare supplement plan for myself and husband from Aetna, we decided to go with another company. I called to make the cancellations and did what they requested. First they gave me the wrong fax number, then wouldn't accept the fax for my husband. I didn't find this out till I called for an update on my cancellation. So we called again, talked to the customer service, did what they asked and waited. NO emails on the progress so I called again, my check was sent out on the 3rd which is 3 weeks from the first call. They are fast to get your money and VERY slow to return it.

My dentist called to verify I had insurance and yes I did and all was fine. Then suddenly after all the work is done there was a refusal to make payment. This place supposedly never got the appeal that I have proof made it to them. Every person I ever spoke with had major attitude and made up lame excuses always different. I have not experienced anything so dirty from a company this size ever in my life!!!

Lack of transparency and clarity in their plans. When you purchase Aetna plan you think you will be covered. When you actually file a claim you realize you were duped by them. In my case they refused to cover annual physical performed at walk-in clinic. Paying their premiums is a total waste of money.

My company switched insurance providers to Aetna and did not notify us... neither did Aetna. I get a bill a year later stating I owe my doctor money. I call United, they call my company HR. They call Aetna. I get this Indian guy I'm having trouble understanding, but I can hear his attitude. It took me 5 times to explain that of course my doctor's office didn't file it correctly because I wasn't notified of any change. I asked why he didn't get some basic info from my HR rep when she WAS JUST ON THE PHONE WITH HIM! I don't know the service date, I don't know anything because I switched companies 8 months ago. This company can't do any investigating on their own. I've been given the runaround. They can't notify their subscribers. Don't get involved with them. I remember my oral surgeon having to call for over 1.5 hours to get help and get me covered.

Horrible experience with these people! They do not honor their claims even though it is written in their benefits plan. Every time you call to get more info about why they REFUSE to pay... you get a different person with a different EXCUSE as to why they won't pay. My office manager at my doctor's office who has 30 years experience with dealing with insurance companies said she has never seen any insurance company give so many ridiculous reasons and EXCUSES for non-payment on something that is in their own benefit package.

They wanted more paperwork, then more documentation, then more this, than more that... So then we filed an appeal and guess what??? Then all of a sudden that was denied because they said it was more than 180 days and it's too late to do anything! So in other words they deliberately delayed the claim by giving us all these EXCUSES to tag us along so our 180 day time limit (and never told us this was time sensitive as well) would run out. What a poor excuse for an insurance company... I am cancelling and not recommending to anyone. Heard they were losing money anyway and very obvious they are trying to make it up by not honoring their claims! And just look at their reviews!!!

Over the past 3 weeks, our family called Aetna and our physician's office to get a pre-certification done on my knee injections. Each time we called Aetna, it was another excuse: no medical record sent, etc... because they gave the wrong fax #. Then after 2 weeks of calling for hours, they inform us the knee injection needing approval is not in approved injections and other 3 injections (lesser performing ones) has to be done first before the best is done. I consider this very wasteful after I have had the other three - they want us to try them AGAIN. Aetna = tons of wasted phone hours, incompetence on receiving and applying records sent not once but 3 times from the doctor's office and ALL EXCUSES. We are saving to pay out of pocket.

I took LOA from work due to extreme fatigue, dizziness, fainting, nausea, and extreme high blood pressure. Leave was suggested by my manager and my doctor. It took a couple months to run tests. I called to report to Aetna of was taking leave and that was all I heard from them for 2 weeks. After two weeks I called back and they never started my claim and never sent my Dr info they needed a reply to. They called me a week later and told me they would deny my case due to not hearing from my Dr. They were extremely rude. They finally reached out to my Dr but didn't get all info needed. But refused to tell me what other info they needed. They denied my claim. I took it through the appeal process and again denied. They sent a letter as to why but in this letter they claimed I was taking meds I have never been on nor prescribed. They gave false stories as to my condition.

At one point they said I was blacking out but that was no reason not to go to work. Well I couldn't drive like that. The appeals lady was again extremely rude and would raise her voice to me. I now have to pay my work back a paycheck and didn't receive a paycheck. I fell behind on bills and may have to claim bankruptcy now. Aetna made lies in the statement and I have all my Dr's notes to proof the discrepancies. I am looking for a lawyer now. If anyone else had this issue please contact me.

My wife is diabetic and Aetna refuses to pay for her medications she needs, the pharmacy said I could pay $200 cash to get her meds and I don't have that kind of money lying around. Also my wife got extremely sick one night at work and left work and went to a hospital over by where she works and Aetna refuses to pay for her to see a doctor that night. Then lately I had to save my CDL license and I ended up paying out of pocket $800 cause Aetna said they wouldn't help pay for the CDL physical, and the doctor I was seeing who was a quack anyways ordered a test.

She wanted ran and she told me that she had talked to Aetna and they would cover the entire price of the test, so I did the test and 2 weeks later I get a bill in the mail for $2500, and so now I have collections calling me which is some dumbass **. My hours and wife's hours at work just got cut also so we are making $1000 less per month, IDK what we are going to do. Has anyone talked with a lawyer to get a class action lawsuit against these crooks?

Aetna has the best mental health benefits in the industry, according to our providers (hospitals, clinics, doctors and counselors). One hospitalization can be over $100,00 easily, and max out-of -pocket is less than $3000, at least for our plan. They have been very easy to work with, mostly not requiring any contact at all from us. When we did call their answers were prompt and accurate. They have been truly amazing.

I recently was informed by Aetna that a claim needed specific information from me to be resolved. So after several emails and phone calls to both Aetna and my doctor. I found out what they really needed was a diagnostic code - something I would never have. I asked that a Vice President explain this to me. I wanted to see if management would also be dumbfounded by these events. What I was told was even more dumbfounding - a Vice President cannot reply to my email. Whoever heard of a Vice President that cannot use email? I guess Aetna has.

I am insured by Coventry. I was told by my Coventry representative and doctor's office to use Aetna Specialty for prescriptions I needed. I was told it is the only pharmacy I could purchase from to use my Coventry benefits on these medications. I called to get prices so I could comparison shop. (Walgreens and Freedom gave me base prices over the phone without a prescription having been processed, so I assumed Aetna would.) I called the number on my doctor's Aetna medical request form. I pressed "8" as instructed by the automated message because I am a Coventry member. When a human finally answered, she asked for my member ID.

Long short - they had no knowledge of why I was calling them if I have Coventry and not Aetna. The Aetna rep expected me to say "Oh! Silly me for calling the wrong insurance company", hang up, and never bother her again. Instead I persisted. They passed my call through to another department. Each time I explained that I was calling for prices and that I'm a Coventry member. On the 5th transfer, the representative finally acknowledged that I called the correct pharmacy. Unfortunately, she informed me that I could not get prices without a prescription. I was angry, but thought, "Ok, they have a policy. I'll call back after the prescription is run through."

I waited a few days and called back after confirming that the prescription had been sent to them. Again I went through the business of them wondering why I called Aetna as a Coventry patient. I was passed along to 4 different reps and then told to call Express Scripts (the pharmacy Coventry uses for non-specialty drugs). Needless to say, that was fruitless. I continued trying each afternoon when I got off work to get prices from them. It took 13 days and a call from my Coventry rep for them to give a cost. The cost was quoted to me by my Coventry rep - not Aetna. She had acted as my advocate.

Next struggle - getting them to apply my 50% benefit: When I finally was able to get them to acknowledge my order, they would not give me my cost once benefits were applied. (I knew what my benefit was and could calculate it myself, but was afraid something wouldn't be right on their end after all the craziness I had experienced. Side note - this order cost about $5,000 out-of-pocket.) The first evening their reason was: "This was run through pharmacy benefits instead of medical, so we cannot give you a price." She said she would send an e-mail to the insurance department since they are only available by phone until 3:00, and I'd receive a phone call the next day.

There was no call. I tried again. This time the answer was "We do not give out costs until it is run through insurance and yours has not been run. I will expedite this and you will receive a call by noon tomorrow." There was no call. I tried again. This time the response was "We do not run claims through insurance until the day the drugs are processed for shipping." Me: " So how will I know the price of my order? What if I cannot accept the order because I cannot afford it?" Crickets... The next day was more of the same. I called my Coventry representative again and she took care of it.

As far as pricing, I only bought half of my prescribed medications through them. The other half cost less paying full price at another US pharmacy. The other pharmacy was easy to use, and they send a UPS tracking number via e-mail so you have an estimated time of delivery. Aetna sends you nothing. I was toId that I could call them to get a tracking number, but I just couldn't muster up the patience to call them again.

Aetna in Denver, Colorado is not adding new eye doctors in Colorado. In order to reduce costs, they feel that it is better to not add doctors, so waits to see doctors are longer so they pay out less money. Terrible patient care.

I am an Aetna subscriber suffering from a severe case of cervical stenosis resulting in pain, discomfort, and numbness of my extremities (arms, hands mostly). There are two methods of treating this condition. One is Cervical Disc Arthroplasty (CDA) which has been a mainstream surgical procedure for the past 6 years. It is far superior to the alternate approach Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) which has been around for approximately 50 years. CDA has a higher success rate (96% compared to 92%). CDA has a faster recovery time (6 weeks vs 6 MONTHS). CDA has no impact on neck mobility following the surgery, whereas ACDF limits neck mobility due to the fusion of one or more discs. CDA has lower risk of other complications whereas ACDF has a high tendency for bone spurs to form at the graph sites resulting in further complications and possible additional surgeries.

Yet with all of this information, Aetna refuses to approve the CDA surgery for its subscribers because they consider it to be an experimental surgery. Interesting. Do the executives at Aetna still drive cars from the 60s and 70s because they consider current models to be experimental models? Come out of the dark ages Aetna and embrace the advancements being made in the medical field. The good news... Aetna still approves the use of leeches for various medical conditions.

Aetna employs "customer advocates" as a facade for service when in fact they sit at a desk and reiterate everything I can see in front of me on my computer and they don't know or do anything else. As customers all we're doing is lining the already bulging pockets of the CEO and his lemmings. Aetna Inc. Chief Executive Mark T. Bertolini's compensation was valued at $17.3 million last year, up from $15.1 million in 2014, reflecting higher stock and option awards. Mr. Bertolini received a base salary of about $1 million and a bonus of $1.84 million. While we pay extortion prices on our monthly premiums for BS care and helpless "customer advocates."

I can get preventive care for my colon, but not for my skin in sunny Arizona. A Dermatology checkup must not pay as much as a colonoscopy or I can be poisoned by a vaccine, but I can't be checked for melanoma because it's not covered in the crap Aetna Plus Plan with a Premium of over $450 / month. Aetna has cornered the license to steal from its customers and does so with no qualms. Karma Baby!

I logged onto Aetna.com to "join the network" and filled out an application request. It apparently "submitted" with a note that I will be notified in 7-10 days that they received it. After that, I went back on the website to register an account so I can log on and check status. Here is where the problem begins. There is no clear way to do this. So I contacted the number that came up for help but all that happened after that was the typical Aetna experience (transfer-transfer-transfer-transfer). Every person asks me for my tax id number and I tell them it will not come up because I'm not in your system yet and all I want to do is register an account with an ID and password.

A couple months ago I tried to get on with Aetna and same thing (transfer-transfer-transfer-transfer). It seems nobody can answer the simplest question: Who can help me register an account? Basically the problem is, they ask me my ID number then tell me "it's not coming up." Then I tell them the story "I'm not in your system yet because I just filled out the application. How can I register an account online so I can check information and status?" and they send me on the same wild goose chase I went through 2 months ago.

Occasionally, I get someone asking me "who transferred you to me" and honestly I usually cannot tell them because I've been transferred too many times and I am utterly confused and fed up at that point. Once in a while I get empathy "Oh I'm sorry you are going through this" and then they quickly revert back to what they said before and transfer me again. I have never experienced anything like this before with any other insurance company or any business/company/organization for that matter. I am extremely hesitant to become a provider for Aetna at this point even if they get back to me saying they accepted my application. I can only imagine what it is like to file a claim if it's that hard just to join the network.

I had 2 eye surgeries in June and July of 2015 to treat a malignant tumor on my retina. I had Aetna through my employer. There was only one facility in New Mexico that could perform both procedures which included a retinal surgeon, oncologist and the handling of radioactive materials implanted in and then removed from the eye. Aetna does not contract in the state of New Mexico, and I was hard pressed to find 2 surgical teams in a neighboring state, because of the size of the tumor and the danger that delay would risk of the cancer metastasizing elsewhere in my body.

After weeks of trying to get Aetna to approve the facility as in network, they finally told me I would be approved. (The surgical scheduler and the retinologist's nurse had to intervene on my behalf several time to explain why I had to have the procedures done at the particular facility). I was never sent an explanation of benefits, and paid deductibles and co pays as I was billed. In February of 2016, 7 months later, I received a bill from the hospital for $6,000. I called the facility and was told by Lovelace that Aetna had made and then retracted the adjustment. For the next 8 months, I called Aetna and was assured my out of network costs had been approved and that they would pay the balance, and that it was in error that the facility was balance billing me.

The threats to send me to collections continued each month. I had to connect patient account reps with Aetna reps each time, and had to ask Aetna to send copy of contractual agreement to facility and was told each time that contracts were being reviewed. I just received a notice saying the bill would go to collections immediately.

I called Aetna and spoke to a senior rep and she told me that the chance to appeal had expired after 180 days. I told her I only learned there was a balance due 210 days after the surgeries. She told me I had never been approved in network, that Aetna had only agreed to pay 100% of contracted amount. They also billed me for $1000.00 out of network deductible as well as my standard in network deductible. She said there would be no further appeals but I could file a complaint. I asked for written transcripts of all of my recorded phone conversations and she said Aetna does not have to provide those. I contacted the hospital and they put me through to a senior billing specialist and she told me that the senior rep with Aetna had resubmitted the contract after the grace period had expired, and it did not include proof that I had been approved as in network, that benefits would be paid to the highest level.

The Lovelace rep I spoke to said that Feb. of 2016 was when they learned that the contractual agreement had been altered by Aetna and resubmitted only after my chance to appeal had been exhausted. She said it was common practice within the industry to proceed in good faith on the part of the insurance companies that they will pay the amount as in network, or on the agreed upon price. She told me she had heard many stories exactly like mine, all involving Aetna as the insurance company. Lovelace had multiple conversations with Aetna reps and were told repeatedly the contracts were being reviewed and that they would pay the balance. Lovelace did confirm that the bill would be going to collections in the next week or so, and at this point my only hope would be to try and negotiate a lower balance or payment schedule.

It is just deplorable that an agency is allowed to deliberately deceive the patient, refuse to pay the facilities, and alter contractual agreements after the insured and the medical facilities have been approved for payment. I am currently unemployed and my credit is going to suffer because I cannot afford to pay the minimum that Lovelace requires. Please, there must be some way to prevent these practices! I pray that there will be a class action lawsuit against these crooks!

My doctor of many years entered a small medical group about a year ago. Tossed from doctor to doctor who don't know my history and don't take the time to know me. My refills before were next day, then it jumped 72 hours without notice. My fiance saw the doctor on regular appt. Calls 2 weeks later and was told he must go in again to see the doctor?? WTH he was just there 2 weeks ago. Now Aetna makes it mandatory to see the doctor every month. Again WTH?? Who can miss this much work? And who's going to pay the copay? Then after all my history with Kaiser specialist these IDIOTS are saying I have to see pain management who won't refill until after a 2-3 hour sedated procedure to have deep shots. How will this help my arthritis? It can't. Aeta shove your insurance and rules where the Sun doesn't shine... going back to KAISER.

PS: saw an older man at Walmart 90 plus years, I see him get out of car grab his walker with seat. 15 minutes later he's in the pharmacy line. AETNA won't allow his pain meds sent through drive-through. WTH is wrong with you dumb asses??? Answer EVERYTHING!!! My company is not renewing with AETNA Oct 1st. BYE BYE IDIOTS. Sorry in so much pain, can't sleep, eat, sit, lay down because our refills are held hostage.

Aetna is a joke! Almost one year and they still have not paid on a hospice claim of $3,600.00 for my mother. Her insurance policy pays for hospice nursing home room and board at 100%. We have spoken to supervisor after supervisor who have given us the same old line of "oh yes. We understand your frustration and we certainly will get to the bottom of this", only to have no one get back to us and no bill paid.

Upon calling Aetna time after time we have heard every excuse in the book as to why they have not paid. From "we need the Medicare explanation of benefits" which we personally faxed to them 8 months ago, to "the nursing home has not billed this correctly ", yes, they have, to "we have never received a bill from the hospice provider", which we personally faxed to them also. We have turned this over to the PA Insurance Commissioner. We are also seeking legal counsel on our own to sue. This has been a nightmare and the emotional damage we've had to endure from reliving our mother's final days over and over again is just unreal. Do not ever willing choose Aetna as your insurance provider. We have nothing good to say about their customer service or their coverage.

I called today 8 times... They disconnected my conversation 6 times... Spoke to james ,gerald and roslyn etc. I think due to them getting out of obama care, they are doing disservice and poor service to force consumer away from obamacare... which is ridiculous... and outrageous. Poor business practices. I request department of consumer affairs to investigate these practices.

Their doctors also doing poor services systematically. Doctors will make you wait for longtime in the offices... They will see other patience first purposely. So you can question them... and their office staff will tell you that I have different insurance. It happened to me more than two times. It's an organized crime they are committing and nobody to question these practices. When all these will stop. When government gives them the contract, they should sign to be penalized for these kinds and other frauds they commit to the consumers/Public. Poor people don't have time to complaints?????

In brief: I have never had insurance like AETNA. In my life I've had Kaiser, Blue Cross, Blue Shield, and now AETNA, so I do have some basis for comparison. But AETNA denies just about every claim. It's always the wrong provider, wrong lab, wrong pharmacy, wrong EMERGENCY SURGEON (yeah, you can guess that emergency appendectomy story is a fun one!) It's really, really bad folks. I even call AETNA member services to confirm whether or not something's covered before I do it. But it seems, even I am not clever enough to outsmart them. Because AETNA member services LIES. They will tell you what you are doing or who you are seeing is in network, when it isn't. Only months later will you find that your claim has been denied.

Honestly, now, what that teaches me is either: 1. Don't seek any health care- emergency, preventative, or otherwise. or 2. Be ready to come up with $1000's if you dare to ask. Gee - I guess I'm going to wait until I'm really sick then! I wonder how many people are going to make the same choices, possibly endangering their health, or worse, die waiting for "in network approval"...Class action suit. I am in. AETNA needs to buck up and be a provider of services, rather than a denier of services.

I have had to Neurosurgeons agree that a spinal fusion is necessary to alleviate the excruciating pain that I live in. Four times Aetna has denied the surgery. The first surgeon having had experience with Aetna refused to do the peer-to-peer knowing that they would deny the surgery anyway and all it would do is take time from his other patients. The second surgeon submitted a letter explaining why he felt the surgery was necessary and again they denied it. The doctor even took the time and did the peer-to-peer and they denied it.

My doctor told me that there was nothing more he can do for me until I changed insurance companies because there was no way Aetna would approve the surgery I need. I'm sure these people that make these decisions have no medical degree. They figure at the end of the year you will change insurance companies & become someone else's problem. I live on pain killers that don't really help anymore and surgery is my only hope. Stay away from this company!

Aetna denied my prescription twice for the doctor at 2 different pharmacies. The doctor's office got involved and Aetna agreed to fill the prescription using "their" pharmacy. This prescription is now 6 weeks old and has never been sent to me. When I spoke with Aetna's "special pharmacy" they have been sitting on the prescription for 11 days and haven't shipped it. They are doing this because of the extremely high cost of the drug. Denying someone these things should be criminal when they are just trying to curb their costs for 6 weeks. This is saving Aetna a lot of money by delaying the shipments. There is no way that I am the only person that is experiencing these issues with this insurance company.

Has anyone contacted any lawyers for a class action lawsuit against Aetna? Aetna also had me under 2 different policies charging me the deductibles for both because they messed up the accounts. I took months of dealing and paying 2 deductibles before they changed the accounts and put me under the one that I actually signed up for.

December 18th, 2015 my wife was sent to the emergency room with what turned out to be a stroke scare. Thankfully it was a much lesser condition but we still incurred an emergency room visit, ambulance transport, and 2 days of observation in the hospital. At the time, we both were covered under the L-3 Aetna Gold plan. My experience has been misery inducing to say the least.

The biggest issue is with the two day observation. This occurred at Lovelace Downtown and initially Aetna indicated that they would pay on the claim. This lasted three months. We were then informed that Lovelace Downtown is not in Aetna's network nor was pre-certification obtained and we were responsible the entirety of the $20,606.63 bill. In terms of pre-certification this is false. The Lovelace emergency room did obtain pre-certification and I provided it to Aetna multiple times over the past five months, to no effect. Last month Lovelace threatened to send me to collections over this.

On top of that, there was an additional bill for the emergency room visit to the tune of $7,116.50. Initially Aetna paid its portion and we paid our responsibility and I thought the matter closed. I was informed two days ago that Aetna has retroactively denied this claim as also being from a non-covered provider and took its payment back, leaving me additionally burdened with the unpaid balance ($6,500 or so). This is in spite that clear statement on page 22 of the benefits guide that states, clearly, that emergency services are covered. To say that Aetna has provided both myself and my wife with months of stress and heartburn is an understatement. The fact that we are getting this kind of runaround when we were under the most comprehensive plan offered borders on the ludicrous.

Aetna is ruining my life!! Hello, I'm KL, I'm 34 and 11/12's years young. ;) I suffer from several disorders that keep me on several medications around the clock, which also come with having several specialists. All of my many "- ologist" 's are treating me for one thing or another. I had Blue Cross Blue Shield for 2 years. During that time, I had all the MRI'S, CT scans, EEG's, ultrasounds, etc. I rode the roller coaster of adding new meds, increasing the dosages, decreasing the dosages, getting another medication to try, stopping another, more medications for the side effects of other medications... You get the picture.

I've finally gotten to the point where I am on the right medications and am seeing the right doctors. My conditions are improving and I'm starting to get my life back on track. All of this, until BCBS canceled all PPO plans in Texas as of 12/31/15. I reviewed 75 medical plans. I read all the brochures, I read all the coverage offers, I thought about premium and out of pocket costs, I learned everything about the plans that I could have through and through.

I ended up choosing this Aetna plan because even though my out-of-pocket max is 4 times my old plan, it was the only plan that covered all of my doctors with whom I've built a rapport and where each is aware and knowledgeable of my medical history through and through. Here comes January, 2016 and the transition from BCBS to Aetna begins. One by one, about half of my daily regular medications get rejected. One by one, none of my doctors are receiving payment from Aetna. One by one, my doctors have been forced to dismiss me as a patient due to Aetna's criminal negligence of my health.

I'm at my wit's end and don't know what to do. You can't screen shot their site (Unless you own 2 phones and can use one to record the other because it's privacy blocked). I miss my doctors!! It's terrifying to have to look for new ones who don't know what's going on. It's terrifying to get thousands of dollars of medical bills in the mailbox every day. I never would have given this plan a second glance if I knew that they wouldn't cover my "dream team," which consists of carefully chosen physicians who are on the same page with my health. They take great care of me and should be compensated as soon as possible. That is no easy feat either, it took me 2 years to get to this point.

When you call Aetna, it's a crap shoot of whom you'll be speaking to and what system they are on. I've had several reps CONFIRM my doctors are approved in network, while I've had other reps say no, about the SAME PERSON! I'm 3 days out from becoming very ill when my medications run out because I still don't know where to go, or who to see.

To add insult to injury, Aetna sent a warning letter out to all of my doctors informing them that I see several docs at once, as well as informing them of what medications I'm on. The letter I received spoke about getting me help during the "transition" now that all my docs know of all my meds and would probably stop prescribing them.

How idiotic can 1 company be?? First off, all my doctors know what I take. I'm not looking to die because of a contraindication, not on my watch. Also, the reason I have all those doctors are because they're my specialists!! I have a primary doc, neurologist, endocrinologist, rheumatologist, pain management doc, cardiologist, gynecologist, pulmonary sleep doc, and they are lucky that I no longer need my chiropractor, orthopedic doctor, or physical therapist.

I'm at wit's end. I'm trying not to sob as I write this, but they are making my already very difficult life a living hell. When I do call, looking for help and support, I end up being traded along as they each pass the buck, 4 different people transferring me back and forth, till it hits 3 hours 40 minutes and the line "accidentally" goes dead...? Well, looks like I am pretty close to adding psychiatrist to the mix because it's a living nightmare what they've done to me the last 7 months.

I wish there were a class action lawsuit that we could file against these crooks. I turn 35 in 3 weeks and I'm forced to be stuck living in an 85 year old body. How can they be allowed to do this?? How?? It's like the mail room intern at Aetna is shredding every bill that is delivered to make good on their reputation as slime. The other intern gets to hold the big red rubber stamp as he plays, DENIED DENIED DENIED on all of the claims. How fun!

Aetna, you may have won the battle, but you won't win the war. This is the end for now. I'll leave you with a Johnny Cash song that is dedicated to you, Aetna.

Good evening, everybody. "You can run on for a long time. Run on for a long time. Run on for a long time. Sooner or later God'll cut you down. Sooner or later God'll cut you down. Go tell that long tongue liar. Go and tell that midnight rider. Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter, tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down. Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down."

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Aetna has been providing health insurance to Connecticut residents since 1853, and today covers people in all 50 states. It is a pioneer in health care legislation and is responsible for making coverage of genetic testing and counseling an industry standard.

• Highly customizable selection of plans: Aetna allows consumers to pick and choose features such as the deductible amount, type of coverage and ability to choose a provider.
  • Health insurance bundles: Consumers can easily add dental and vision insurance to their basic health insurance and can bundle insurance with other plans like life insurance.
  • Large provider network: Aetna allows consumers to choose from over 587,000 doctors and 5,700 hospitals throughout the United States.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Aetna offers Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Heads of families, senior citizens