Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5

Aetna Health Insurance Call Now Toll Free (855) 235-2955 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: May 13, 2020

Aetna Medicare got to the point 2020 they refused to pay for almost every medical procedure. Denied all medicine. Pay for some that make no sense and you're making medical calls whether or not I can see a doctor. They actually told me that, "We are a HMO. We have the right to decide whether or not you can see a specialist. If we don't want you to see a specialist we have all rights to stop you from seeing any doctor we don't want you to see." I had to contact Medicare so I didn't have to be their patient anymore. They don't actually like paying for medical services at all. I was with him for 5 months. Started receiving all bills and they were supposed to pay for them. They always find a way to wiggle out of paying for your medical even though you're paying them money.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I have two special needs children, and they both receive multiple therapies a week. We transitioned to tele therapy because of COVID, and were told by Aetna copays were waived for all tele therapy sessions during this time. Now they say they aren't and I am being stuck with a giant bill retrospectively. I have learned over the years that Aetna never gives the same answer twice when you call to discuss coverage. I should have known better than to believe them.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I’ve never written a review of a health insurance company before. However, having Aetna has compelled me to do it. It’s horrible, but unfortunately we are stuck with these guys via my husband’s job. Getting an approval for a medication seems to be just about impossible. The drugs my husband has to take for his condition require a prior authorization from his doctor. This is where you have to brace yourself. The faxes get lost, and I end up being transferred to five different departments etc. And guess what? In the end they still deny you for no reason.

Two medications in a row were now denied (both on preferred list). They make excuses, and tell me to ask the doctor to file an appeal. This is what we are currently working on. The amount of rigmarole we’ve had to deal with over the last three months is unbelievable. It’s being my part time job to get this approval, and so far I have nothing to show for it. What are we paying the premiums for? This company has no regard for consumers. It honestly feels like a scam.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I have had Aetna for 4 mths. In this time, most of my medications have required preauthorization, or I have a crazy high deductible to get name brand medication. Once the RX deductible is met (meaning the customer pays out of pocket for everything before insurance pays toward cost), they then have the right to deny me the medication once they have to participate in paying towards the medication. I was transferred for 48 mins to different departments to try and file an appeal...I never reached the right department and then I was finally put back into the main system w/ no direct transfer. I hung up at that point. When you call for basic benefit help, you get routed to outsourced workers in countries like India, making it hard here and have to wait on that annoying delay.

I pay too much out of my check every month to get crappy services and nothing's covered until I meet a 4k out of pocket deductible 6k max outta pocket deductible, which does not include co-pays and your monthly deductions from your check. If met, this is a plan that can cost upwards of 8k plus. And all expenses are on you except a basic doctor's appointment, where you get a negotiated rate for simple service until the deductible is met. Aetna should be ashamed of their policy structures and lack of support when you call. My company changed last yr from Cigna and it was much better in terms of basic support from its employees when you call in and there were many other benefits within plan that did not come at an additional cost to policy holder. Aetna offers you nothing!!!!

Original review: April 21, 2020

I have been a customer with Aetna for over seven years and have yet to have ONE satisfactory experience with them!

1) Their customer service department routinely gives out incorrect information and then they won't even honor what they have said - even when presented with THEIR own call reference number.

2) Their plans don't really cover anything and there's always some silly excuse as to why the money I'm paying (OUT OF POCKET!) for my appointments, prescriptions, etc. DOESN'T even count towards my deductible! Therefore we NEVER meet our deductible before it starts back over at zero every January, and we just end up paying for every darn thing out of pocket (including our monthly premium!).

3) Their website and customer navigator page hardly ever works as advertised which always forces me to have to make calls to them - which almost always results in me getting incorrect information...or being told that I will receive a callback that I NEVER receive.

In conclusion the only service that they provide for our monthly premium is 'low-balling' my doctor "for me" and then calling it a "contractual adjustment"...Meanwhile I'm doing all the paying of bills and they haven't paid out a dime! Avoid Aetna!

Original review: April 13, 2020

I Have their Gold plan and have a $6k deductible. I paid them almost $20k last year and went to a doctor twice, and only for routine physical and the second time to review lab results. Recently broke my leg and these guys don't even cover the boot for my leg. So far, they have covered almost nothing in my couple years with them. Not sure if this is just Aetna or just the American Healthcare system, but someone is failing. If it weren't required by the feds, I would drop these guys immediately.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I use an asthma inhaler. I called in a refill only to learn, on a Saturday morning that Aetna would no longer cover it. Aetna is closed on weekends, so left without critical meds. Why did Aetna not provide me with advance warning? I never experienced an issue like this with my prior provider.

Original review: March 25, 2020

My father was admitted to the hospital and then the doctor ordered rehab at skilled nursing facility. Aetna denied the claim. The hospital sent an expedited appeal. Aetna claimed they never got the most recent report. My father's deteriorating in the hospital, while the hospital fights with Aetna to get approval. The case manager said Aetna is notorious for denying referrals. Avoid Aetna like the plague!

Original review: March 22, 2020

No matter what the answer is NO, not in this lifetime or any other. They did not follow through, did not keep their word, did not provide what was fair and reasonable and DENIED EVERYTHING that cost me a fortune because they ALWAYS SAY NO. TOOK THE PROBLEM HIGHER... RESPONSE... NO. Was supposed to have a patient advocate... did they help, NO. The most dishonest, conniving, irresponsible, lying, useless health insurance company on the planet. DO NOT GO HERE. You will lose. Time, money, patience and anything else you want to achieve will never happen. They are horrible, horrible, horrible.

Original review: March 12, 2020

This company is so terrible my provider just dropped them, after 2 years I need to now shop around in network and rebuild the medical understanding of the last couple years. Let's reflect on that Aetna, you're equally atrocious to patients and doctors and every time I drive by your ridiculous castle off I84 in CT I'm reminded of how much money you're making and how goddamn poor of a job you do for the citizens of this country. You suck.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information