Aetna Health Insurance

Aetna Health Insurance

3.9/5 (518 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Aetna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: July 5, 2022

I had 3 different doctors recommend an MRI, it was declined by AETNA EVERY SINGLE TIME. I had it done anyway, because I care about a Dr.'s recommendation. They clearly don't. BASED ON MRI FINDINGS, a CT Scan was recommended, which obviously was declined. I had to file an appeal in order to get it approved by AETNA. Total waste of time over and over again. I have been requested approval for the MRI since April 2022, we are in July, 3 months later, Stella L. is not working today... Or any other unacceptable excuse.

I have a record of all my calls and the time I wasted miserably with AETNA and Evicor (the company they use to determine if an specialist's recommendation is worthy or not). Today, for instance, I called Evicore two times and AETNA 3 times, started at 14:33 and finished with a call to AETNA at 17:03 that lasted 45'. That's what they do: you are a ping-pong ball, they don't give you names or emails to document anything; they make you spit your liver repeating apologies they don't feel. During my short experience with AETNA I am convinced that the company's only concern is saving as much money as possible to the expense of their customers health.

Original review: June 30, 2022

This is the worst plan for providers to become credentialed. I have credentialed 6 providers over the last year and only 2 have just been approved. Credentialing is easy but waiting on Aetna is the worst. They credential fast. You see the patients then they won't pay the provider stating they are waiting on the contracting specialist to add them to the roster. So if you plan on being a provider expect a waiting period to get paid way over 1 year then they stale date your claims.

I have called everyday for 1 year and always get the same response, "Oh I will escalate this to the contracting department." Don't expect an answer because they never get to the escalation. You call back the next week and they say, "Oh I will escalate this." They have no representatives for you to speak with, only people who answer the calls in the Philippines. They can only tell you they will escalate. It's not their fault because this is what they are told to do and then they hold the brunt of the upset providers because the contracting department does not get back with you. I will never recommend Aetna to any of my patients or people I know. It's a nightmare.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Tried and failed 3 times to get a simple cardiac stress test authorized. I had to cancel THREE appointments. They will blame their vendor Evercore, but I contracted with Aetna, not Evercore! The worst! Would not recommend to my worst enemy!

Original review: April 13, 2022

I switched to Aetna CVS Health Insurance in Jan 2022 and the benefits summary appeared to be pretty good. What I didn't realize is that they want to decide what medications I take even at the objections of my doctors. We have spent 2 months requesting prior authorizations, appealing, appealing again and all they say is NO, try an alternative that we (insurance company) likes better. How can an insurance company be allowed to decide what medicines are right for me? This is completely backwards.

When I called to ask that question of the Insurance company, they hung up the phone. As of now, I have stopped taking the medication because I can't afford to pay the retail prices. My pharmacist told me that he sees this often, especially older Americans stop taking their medicines because they simply cannot afford them and they are at the mercy of insurance companies. Is that really how it is supposed to work?

Original review: April 4, 2022

I had Aetna 2 years in a row. I was promised my monthly free med when I signed up, it turned out I had to pay $100/month copay, I appealed but it was useless, the powers that be insisted I keep paying the $100/month copay. I had to pay $250 copay for an ER visit, $5/ month copay for a monthly test, $140/month copay for a sleeping pill, $600.00 copay for a Cardiovascular drug performed during a stress test, that's a lot of money when you're on SS.

I'm still paying it off, all this adds up monthly to an Insurance advertising they are by and large "FREE." They are not. I have Blue Cross advantage Medicare now, medication is drastically cheaper. I still have to pay the standard $45.00 to see a Specialist, my $100 monthly med copay I paid at Aetna is reduced to $10.00 copay with Blue Cross. When I started getting Medical bills in the mail for the years I had Insurance with Aetna, I thought this Insurance was guaranteed to drastically reduce medical bills, not increase them. I've had Blue Cross for most of my life, these other Insurances can't hold a candle to them!!

Original review: March 31, 2022

Aetna denied me getting a crown on a broken front tooth even though I have 50% coverage in and out of network! I pay them $140 a week! Why?! Just a bunch of thieves! Run as far away from this company as you can!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

P.O.A for my mother who has dementia. They can't seem to find the P.O.A document that I have sent over several times and which came with the application. Now they've hired people offshore, a no-no in my book when it comes to sensitive information. Bye-bye Aetna.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Aetna Health "Insurance" reps chat up your HR department with promises of lower group insurance costs with no loss of benefits to the employees but instead employees are required to not only pay sizeable shares of premiums, but high deductibles, and co-pays which effectively add up to no one earning under $68,000 per year can afford even an annual physical with tests. A real life example of this nightmare is when the employer offered a "complimentary" on sight dermatology screening.

After a quick examination in a triage set up in the parking lot by a "dermatologist" and a couple of freeze treatments of nonmalignant freckles, a bill for over $400 arrived with Aetna sending two letters and 4 pages of papers to declare they were only paying $28 as a co-pay. This company should be investigated for unfair and deceptive business trade practices, but since they are probably in bed with many a politician who pulls the strings of the insurance regulatory agencies - don't hold your breath. I am definitely in agreement with many reviewers who recommend changing your job to get out of this bad deal, and self fund your own medical care at this point!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

On 11/11/2021, my neurologist conducted EMG, MRI and wanted a Myelogram done. I have a severe condition that affects bladder retention, my ability to walk and my balance. I had difficulty getting a specialist referral PCP, Memorial Hermann Southwest told me the Radiologist had to approve it that not true. Due to having to escalate simple issue, I decided to switch plans for 2022. I feel the issues are directly dictated by Aetna because they do want to pay for service when member changed their plan. Aetna gave the appearance of assisting and basically is dragging out the process until 2022 plan begins. It is scary to think that Aetna would place a member’s health in jeopardy to save money. Also, penalizing the member for changing plan.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I proceeded to go to an out of network dentist Aetna told me to pay the hundred dollars and I will get reimbursed. Three months later they finally approve $100 and they send it to the provider instead of sending it to the customer. No agent has any idea what you’re talking about. They tell you they taking care of it and they just hang up. I got disconnected four times because they did not know how to solve my problem so they just hung up on me. This is the worst insurance company I’ve ever dealt with. Good Luck If your place of employment offers this insurance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

After my first year of service with Aetna I would never register with them again. Their copays and deductibles are terrible. They are a reflection of how broken the US insurance system is. It's pretty much not worth having insurance through them at all, you may as well just bankroll savings or switch providers instead of giving funds to these frauds.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

After turning 65 a few years ago, I had to find supplemental insurance. I started with Humana. Being a low income person, most of the services were low costs and low co-pay. My 2 medicines were also free. I talked to someone who said my rates would stay the same for a year. In one word...LIE. After 3 months, my rates went up nearly $100 more a month, and I was STUCK until Nov, due to Obamacare. Then, at the same time, my cholesterol med changed from zero to $8. I called and was told that medicine was reclassified to a higher level. I protested and said it was not nice that I have to pay $8, while their CEO was making $220 million, and asked them to remove that med. I found a website that charged me $10 for the same med, but was glad to change. BOTTOM LINE: In Nov, I dropped inHumana, and tried Aetna. This will be my 4th year (they now added vision coverage), and I am satisfied. My 2 meds (now 3) are still free. Thank you Aetna.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

They take forever to process claims/reimbursements. They will deny your claim for the smallest of details. Deductibles are extremely high. HSA spending is not worth it. Customer service is friendly but often times not helpful. It’s so bad that I’m actually considering changing jobs because the health insurance is so bad.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I am a current customer and I am beyond frustrated with this insurance company. I always have to call customer service to get my medicine approved even though my doctor said it is medically necessary for me to have the medicine. Aetna also took 10 days to preauthorize my MRI & now they are denying my surgery stating it's not necessary. Currently I can't sit for more than 10 mins, I can't walk far and I have a Limp, and I can't sleep through the night because my back and knee is hurting that bad. I guess this insurance company would rather I become crippled and have to pay for insurance claims the rest of my life instead of approving my back surgery. What ever happened to Quality of Life?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Aetna Insurance has been a great help to me. I have never had any kind of problem with the insurance or anyone that I have had to speak with. They have been extremely helpful in answering all my questions, even the dumb ones. They helped me understand how everything will be going for me after being diagnosed with lung cancer. Caring, understanding and helpful. Can't get any better than that.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I have 3 denied claims that should be denied. 1. Before I started order my 1st breast pump with Aetna, I called Aetna to check if it will be covered. The Rep said yes. All I need to do was login to my account and follow the steps and order the pump through Aetna partnership. It was in April 2021. I got the pump but my claim shows "denied". I've been calling so far 5 times and the Rep kept saying it should be covered and they said will push the document again, asked me to wait 7-10 days. Still, it shows "denied" until now, which is end of August.

2. I went into labor in May 26-27, it shows "claim denied" for anesthesia (2nd claim) and pathology specialist (3rd claim). The Rep told me those were not covered because the doctors were not in network. My question to them is I was admitted to In network hospital, and during the labor process, no one told me if I want epidural, I need to pay out of pocket because the doctor who administered it wasn't part of network. The same thing as the pathology specialist, how do I know if the hospital will check the placenta which is part of the labor process and it would be done by a doctor not in network. I didn't even know if the hospital had to check the placenta until I got claim denied.

Bottom line is I was in a lot of pain during delivery, as far as I know Epidural is covered and I believe whatever procedure to follow during labor process should be covered. I've been calling and asking many times, none of them know how to respond and no one process it. Now, all I can do just keep calling and asking. See how far it will go. Aetna is a big company but unreliable one. Watch out peeps! they may said YES YOU ARE COVERED but YOU WILL GET BILLS AT THE END.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

My husband had an accident and was in three hospitals for a total of nine weeks. After our $3000 deductible, everything was covered 100%. This was one less thing for me to worry about while he was recovering and not working.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

My wife and I have recently become more physically ill at 79 years of age and so we have filed more claims with Aetna. Aetna has responded quickly and paid for much of the charges by our family physician, our eye doctor, and my urologist. I am very happy with Aetna's providing of these charges.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

Excellent customer service experience every time I connect with rep either online or via phone. Additionally, the website is very intuitive. As far as information is concerned that will guide me when I am looking for anything pertaining to my health insurance info or providers.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I started experiencing health issues in February and still haven't been able to get the help I need and it's July. yes, half a year. The amount of "positive reviews" on here feels fabricated. I live in southern California with 4 surrounding cities all within 50 miles of each other... Yet I have to drive 75 miles out of my way. I'm not paying the bottom of the barrel coverage mind you. Personally, I feel it would be worth going to someone that initially sounds more expensive. Like Kaiser the service you get with them is worth what you pay.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I have Aetna QCHP through my wife. For some unknown reason, they terminated my health insurance coverage in February, 2021. It is supposed to run through the end of June 2021. The State of IL tells them I should be insured, but Aetna continues to say I am not insured. I have been on the phone with Aetna, the State of IL Benefits, three times and all three times I have been assured the matter is resolved. After more than 3 weeks it is not resolved. This is very expensive insurance. I would give Aetna a zero out of ten rating. If I was grading Aetna, I would give them an F- or a lower grade if there is one.

Original review: May 7, 2021

Run from this insurance company. They are truly not forthcoming with their reimbursements!! I always thought reasonable and customary prices are the same across the board. Nope!!!! Aetna hires a third party called IData that decides what is reasonable and customary. Their reimbursements for out of network is absolutely the worst!

In network is no better. My gyn took a culture to check for infection. She used Quest, an in network lab. Quest billed $925.19 for the Sure Swab culture, the plan discount was $128.09, Aetna paid $24.47 and my total cost was $758.08!!!! When I questioned Aetna their response was they do not cover investigational tests!!!! Well isn't every test investigational to find out what your problem is?!!! Aetna told me I should have asked my gyn for the CPT codes and that I should have called Aetna to see if I was covered before she did the test. Hello!!! Isn't that ridiculous? While I'm in stir ups I'm suppose to say wait, give me the CPT codes first.

Don't even get me started on prescriptions. My GI dr prescribed **. CVS (affiliated with Aetna) only will give you 90 pills a year and I'm waiting 3 months for an authorization. So I buy over the counter ** and double the dose. Aetna will not give you any information ahead of signing on with them and even when you do you will not know how much they will reimburse until after you have submitted a claim. Run from this insurance company. I cannot wait until this year is over and I can switch companies!!!

Original review: April 30, 2021

I have now come to realize that Aetna is an evil company. I started a new job and had to change my health insurance. I picked Aetna, knowing nothing about them. I didn't realize that was a mistake until six months into the job. Suddenly, they stopped refilling one of my prescriptions. I called. They told me that Aetna had suddenly decided to stop paying for prescriptions at any pharmacy in the entire country - except for CVS. (I did not know when I picked Aetna that they were owned by CVS). I was spitting mad. It was a mild inconvenience for me - but the principle of the thing is outrageous. They are unfairly, illegitimately restricting healthcare access. They are doing it in a self-serving, monopolistic way, driving people to use their own pharmacy in order to increase profits at patients' expense. That has me spitting mad.

But wait, there's more. So I tried to move my prescriptions over to CVS. I called my Doctor's office and asked them to send in the prescriptions to have CVS mail order them to me. Days passed and nothing happened. I tried to use the CVS website to transfer the prescriptions from my previous pharmacy. I received some vague failure message. I can't even access the part of the website where I manage my prescriptions - the first or second time I tried to access that, it told me I had tried "too many times" and would be locked out for 24 hours. I've tried a few other days since then and immediately get that result. **

The third time I had my doctor's office send in the prescription I received an automated call telling me they were working on filling it. Hours later, I went in to pick it up. Then the pharmacy clerk told me that they could not fill my daily prescription. The one I had been taking for years. Aetna decided that my daily, long-term prescription was now "90/365" - you can get a three-month supply of this daily medication... ONCE PER YEAR. This is a pretty common daily medication, mind you, and my previous health insurance company had no problem with it. I called Aetna again and they said special paperwork needs to be send to the doctor's office to get them to approve the prescription they already sent in, in order to allow it to be filled more than once a year. This is madness. If you have a choice, avoid Aetna at all costs!

Original review: April 26, 2021

I’ve had Aetna Better Health of LA for over a year and have never actually got to speak with a human being. I have called every number I can find. They have an absolutely useless recording at the number they give out. The recording will tell you that you DONT need a referral -which is a lie because all health care practitioners tell me Aetna Better health absolutely requires a referral. There’s NO LIST of approved doctors either. You just have to call every doctor In a hundred mile radius and ask if they will take ABH. ABH will not email. They have an obnoxious portal that takes days for a generic useless response from an answering service that will definitely be inaccurate.

As soon as my profession recovers from the pandemic I will find insurance that is NOT AETNA. EVEN IF I HAVE TO PAY MORE it would be worth it to have access to information, communication, and a decent website. The website is a nightmare. There’s no LOG IN button. You have to click a tiny “register online” link to get to the login. Even if you have been registered for years. Why mislabel that? It’s like they are being deliberately obnoxious or cumbersome to thwart users. But really logging in won’t help because there’s information there. Good luck finding an approved RX list. They demand you use that list but bury it ten links deep in teeny font in a sentence about something unrelated.

So the phone number is useless, the website is useless, the only communication you will get with these people is paper mail letters telling you that your medicine/ procedure / doctor is not approved. Which could be avoided If they would provide an accessible list of anything they do approve or allow human telephone communication. I’m assuming there isn’t a list because every single thing, even old common drugs, have needed “prior authorization” which is just a way to undermine doctors and make you suffer while you wait for a drug that’s literally ten dollars at any pharmacy if you don’t use Insurance.

Honestly I pay out of pocket for most healthcare because this covers nothing I need and I can’t find what they cover. I needed bloodwork and was on the phone and website for two hours- found nothing useful. No idea what labs ABH covers. I talked to Aetna (not Better Health) but they kept transferring me to ABH’s useless recording. I finally just went to the nearest Quest and figured I’d pay for it myself. The funny thing is that awful useless dystopian recording at (855) 242-0802 is always preceded by the line “we are here to help.” No. No one is there.

Original review: April 8, 2021

In January 2020 I switched from Aetna to another carrier. Aetna didn't cancel my coverage as requested and continued deducting over $300 a month for premium. I thought this was my wife's insurance premium so it was paid. This year we both went to a zero premium Medicare supplement. When we were still billed the $300+ premium in January 2021 Aetna was contacted. They owed us over $4000.00 for premiums we paid in 2020. For 3 months we have had to constantly fight with Aetna to get our money even though they admit it is owed to us. Aetna keeps promising payments were mailed but they never come. They are either unbelievably incompetent or unethical. Either way, we will never choose Aetna insurance again!

We have threatened legal action against them but all we received was another promised payment that hasn't arrived as of today. Anyone who has an Aetna Medicare supplement better be absolutely sure when you change coverage plans that Aetna actually cancels you or you will go through the same 3 month long nightmare we are experiencing.

Original review: March 23, 2021

The guys I've been receiving emails from are very nice and responsive, in general if this review great would be based on Customer Care, I'd rate it 10+ stars. But: 1- Just too expensive. Comparing to BUPA, Allianz I had before (working for the same company; they've never got back to me why they've changed providers) like 13-15%. And their lists of benefits were longer than AETNA's. 2- I've been exchanging emails with their Claim dept. for days now. Apparently, vaccination for kids is not part of my coverage. Not for COVID. For MENINGOCOCCAL MENINGITIS A, C, Y! & W. Sorry for being sarcastic, but I was shocked: at the early 21st century!

Needless to mention that local providers here in Qatar, not branches of come big, word renown provider, have ALL the vaccinations covered. Where I'm coming from (and my country's annual GDP is 30% less than overall AETNA profit) it's also free/covered. I'm looking into a way how to leave AETNA and enroll with some other provider before end of one year coverage. Annually I'll save circa EUR4500.

Original review: March 23, 2021

We have had a high deductible policy for a few years with them and things were going smooth so long they had to pay nothing! Once, my husband's renowned cardiologists (my husband is a retired cardiologist himself) had him do a CT angio after a positive stress EKG test and angina pectoris, and the bill exceeded the deductible ($6000), they denied the claim and the appeal stating contradictory statements where they acknowledge he is a high risk patient but the procedure is not indicated. So, what is indicated? Well, they don't tell you that. For sure, we will be changing Aetna next year. Hope the big company my husband works for now has better options. Also, will make everyone in our surroundings know about this. Thanks for nothing!

Original review: March 19, 2021

Aetna is simply a trash company. I did my due diligence and spoke to their "fully trained" concierges to make sure acupuncture was covered before starting treatments. I was told (by more than one concierge) that acupuncture was covered – no conditions or caveats were given to the acupuncture coverage. Lo and behold, after 5 or 6 treatments, the claims were denied. I went through all the appeal processes and even lodged a complaint with the Commissioner of Insurance Office. I’ll give Aetna credit, they held firm and denied coverage at every step of the way (it's clear money means more to them than anyone's health or well being). What offends me the most is that Aetna did not take any responsibility for creating the problem.

I think of Aetna as the corporate equivalent of a bad owner of a dog. The type of owner who lets their dog poop on your lawn and when you catch them in the act, they not only won’t clean up the mess they created, but they won’t even admit they're the source of the mess. I have zero respect for an individual or corporation that creates a problem and then scapegoats responsibility on to others, and that is Aetna in a nutshell. Aetna exhibited totally unprofessional behavior in the matter and that says it all about the quality of the company.

Original review: March 18, 2021

This is the worst insurance company. You pay a Fortune out of pocket only for them to tell you, not a doctor, that surgeries won’t be covered Medications won’t be covered and they constantly lie about how much of your out-of-pocket max has been met. When it comes to Medications the insurance company decides what Medications are good for you not a medical professional. It is an absolute disgrace.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I am an expat, living overseas and have used this coverage for the past two years. I was very careful in reviewing and comparing plans, trying to get one that would cover virtually everything beyond a $1000 deductible. Unfortunately this plan has not lived up to its benefits package claims. I submitted $2,294.70 over the past year, and was informed that I was only eligible for slightly over $200 in reimbursements.

They also had a survey of questions they asked me when I signed up for coverage, and anything listed was excluded from coverage. This is now illegal in the United States, but because it is a global plan, they are outside the U.S. jurisdiction. Moreover, their online claims submission form was extremely tedious to use. I have a PhD and a masters in economics and yet it took me over 6 hours to submit a set of claims, very frustrating, and in the end, I received no return reimbursements for it. I highly recommend you look elsewhere for coverage.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information