Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Aetna Health Insurance

Aetna Health Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Rates went up 100% for me in 2020. My insurance premiums were $156 per paycheck in 2019. Now in 2020, my premiums are $300 per paycheck. Also, the plan doesn't cover much. My wife just had a baby and I still have to pay about $6,000 out of pocket.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Dr. said, "You need an MRI," but said, "They (Aetna) wouldn't pay for an MRI unless you get an xray first." Then aetna wouldn't authorize the MRI because, the xray didn't show the problem. The problem the Dr. said she wouldn't be able to see in an xray, thus the need for a MRI???

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

One of the worst insurance companies. First the hospital sends me a bill when Aetna was supposed to cover me. Then when I call aetna they agree with me and call the hospital to get rid of the extra charges. Few weeks later another person from aetna calls and claims there were some fine prints which we did not read and you have to pay the whole amount. Does not matter if you buy their platinum, gold or silver plan. You will end up paying for everything.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I switched insurance thinking that Aetna was a better choice for me. I was totally wrong. I am an individual with chronic pain, stenosis, degenerative bone disease, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, spondylosis, and post-laminectomy pain syndrome. I TAKE ** and will be taking in addition ** to alleviate the unbearable pain that I live with. Well, this company has chosen to brand me and NOT cover the OPIOIDS that I so much need and that I have been taking without any shame, for nine years, they think that people that take those medications are junkies.

I am a responsible 68-year-old person, and never had an episode of overdose or wanting more than my doctor prescribes. For their poor judgment, and lack of consideration, I am changing insurance as of 2/1/20, I do not need to be judged by faceless and heartless individuals because I take a medication that certain individuals have branded as a sin and shame. No, I am not ashame to look for relief in OPIOIDS and will continue to do so, as it is my right as a human being to live a better life until the end. Signed: Evangelina **, Miami, Florida.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Worst insurance in USA: So confuse, all refers are denied. Very difficult to call offices. You get from CVS the over the county stuff that neither the CVS workers want to buy, terrible everything. If you get Aetna with Chen Clinic as as your health provider you are going to be in hell (el infierno) both are an evil combination, Chen doctors are fine, they do their best but the administrative process from Chen Clinic headquarter are going to make you sick back again. I will comply with the Social Security, Insurance Commission, Better Business Bureau, and the Attorney General. In fact I maybe will record all the terrible bureaucracy about this mediocre insurance and Chen Clinic Headquarter. Muy malos los servicios telefónicos en español.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I was a lifelong member of Aetna Better Health. My primary care physician left the network. I spent days going through mind-numbing voicemail screening only to repeatedly be provided with a list of physicians that was obsolete. When I phoned an office I was either told that the physician “is no longer in the network” or else that the facility as a whole “no longer accepts Aetna”.

While covered with Aetna Better Health I scheduled an appointment at the Whitehall Dental Group and was told by Aetna that I would be receiving a $50 gift card. The dental group knew nothing of this and a few weeks later I called Aetna who said I would receive the gift card in a couple of weeks. That was last year and when I called, after 2 weeks of misdirection, I was told that the card would not be issued due to the fact that I was compelled to seek alternative coverage due to a dearth of providers. Interestingly enough my niece attended the same appointment and presently has Aetna but she too has received nought. It is appalling how needlessly difficult Aetna makes any and every service or concern inquiry.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

My husband and I both selected Aetna for our Medicare advantage plan for 2019. One of our primary considerations was dental care that we both needed. This plan allowed for $525 in reimbursement for any dental services. We had no problems or concerns for general medical services with our PCP, referrals and prescriptions. For that I would give them a 5. But I needed dentures at a cost of $1500. I knew that Aetna only paid $525, but that was a significant help towards this expense. I sent my receipt and documented services to them in October. I followed up a few weeks later with them.

They verified that they had received the claim and I should receive this check in 6 weeks. I was a little disappointed that it would take this long but calculated that I should receive this a little before Christmas. It is January 30th, 2020 and I still haven't received this check despite numerous calls in which I was told to wait a little longer. My last call was on January 9, and I was told that the check would be reissued. This has caused me considerable problems. For this reason, I have concerns about the reliability of this insurance and I have not been been able to talk to anyone who would be able to resolve this.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I signed up with Aetna Insurance this year because of the hearing aid benefit, $1250 per ear, advertised on Aetna's Website members benefits for hearing aid. They're purchased from a Hearing Aid Supplier-Hearing Care Solutions that is being represented by Aetna for the hearing aids benefit to purchase them. It's a bait and switch scam and fraudulently aids & false advertising. Turns out the $1250 per ear is not true of what Aetna advertised benefits are. Hearing Care Solutions states it's only $950 per ear, that Aetna's clients ordering hearing aids from Hearing Care Solutions. Nowhere on Aetna's or Hearing Care Solutions listing benefits page for hearing aids- does it show which hearing aids consumers do or do not qualify for- Hearing Care Solutions Management says that Aetna Clients do not qualify for a $1250 per ear, only @ $950 per ear.

Aetna Website benefit page clearly states $1250 Per ear, all of Aetna's agents inform new Aetna clients it's $1250 per ear. Leaving a published Aetna pamphlet with the advertised hearing benefit of $1250 per ear. Falsely advertising you into believing your hearing aid benefit is. $1250 per once you signed up- I called both companies, And get told there nothing that can be done-Hearing Care Solutions In Colorado CEO was rude to me and hung on me after reading the complaints on BBB, in my opinion, it is a bait and switch, falsely advertising the hearing aid benefit to sell you their insurance.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

My doctors at UNC hospital recommended TMS treatment for my severe, treatment-resistant depression. Aetna denied coverage of this treatment because I am 20, not 21. I turn 21 later this year, and the FDA approved age for TMS treatment is 18 years old. I am within the medically recommended age limit provided by the FDA and doctors at my hospital and in the field. My doctors attempted to file an appeal, and were denied a peer-to-peer review for my case.

After learning this, I attempted to contact Aetna twice about my case, and speak to whoever made the choice to deny coverage and a peer-to-peer review for this treatment, so that I could self-advocate. Both times, I was met with resistance, and was not put on the phone with anyone who had made decisions about my case. I had an extremely hard time understanding and hearing the people I spoke with on the phone, and they gave me no new information whatsoever. I spent a total of over 30 minutes talking to various customer service representatives who refused to transfer me to someone with medical knowledge or who was involved in the process of denying my coverage, despite my doctor's approval. I spent a lot of time on hold.

I have never filed a formal complaint before, but seeing as this was the worst decision-making and customer service I have received in my life, I found it necessary to do so. I would like to make sure that this does not happen to any other Aetna customers in the future. This review is also going online, so that potential customers have an idea of what they are getting into. I would not ever voluntarily receive Aetna care after this experience.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Can't get straight answers. I have Humana and never had these problems. No one recognizes my member ID when filing claims including flu shots as well as blood work. I have tried calling customer service and cant get a straight answer.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information