Aetna Health Insurance

Aetna Health Insurance

3.9/5 (520 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Aetna Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Aetna Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna?

Original review: March 23, 2021

The guys I've been receiving emails from are very nice and responsive, in general if this review great would be based on Customer Care, I'd rate it 10+ stars. But: 1- Just too expensive. Comparing to BUPA, Allianz I had before (working for the same company; they've never got back to me why they've changed providers) like 13-15%. And their lists of benefits were longer than AETNA's. 2- I've been exchanging emails with their Claim dept. for days now. Apparently, vaccination for kids is not part of my coverage. Not for COVID. For MENINGOCOCCAL MENINGITIS A, C, Y! & W. Sorry for being sarcastic, but I was shocked: at the early 21st century!

Needless to mention that local providers here in Qatar, not branches of come big, word renown provider, have ALL the vaccinations covered. Where I'm coming from (and my country's annual GDP is 30% less than overall AETNA profit) it's also free/covered. I'm looking into a way how to leave AETNA and enroll with some other provider before end of one year coverage. Annually I'll save circa EUR4500.

Original review: March 23, 2021

We have had a high deductible policy for a few years with them and things were going smooth so long they had to pay nothing! Once, my husband's renowned cardiologists (my husband is a retired cardiologist himself) had him do a CT angio after a positive stress EKG test and angina pectoris, and the bill exceeded the deductible ($6000), they denied the claim and the appeal stating contradictory statements where they acknowledge he is a high risk patient but the procedure is not indicated. So, what is indicated? Well, they don't tell you that. For sure, we will be changing Aetna next year. Hope the big company my husband works for now has better options. Also, will make everyone in our surroundings know about this. Thanks for nothing!

Original review: March 19, 2021

Aetna is simply a trash company. I did my due diligence and spoke to their "fully trained" concierges to make sure acupuncture was covered before starting treatments. I was told (by more than one concierge) that acupuncture was covered – no conditions or caveats were given to the acupuncture coverage. Lo and behold, after 5 or 6 treatments, the claims were denied. I went through all the appeal processes and even lodged a complaint with the Commissioner of Insurance Office. I’ll give Aetna credit, they held firm and denied coverage at every step of the way (it's clear money means more to them than anyone's health or well being). What offends me the most is that Aetna did not take any responsibility for creating the problem.

I think of Aetna as the corporate equivalent of a bad owner of a dog. The type of owner who lets their dog poop on your lawn and when you catch them in the act, they not only won’t clean up the mess they created, but they won’t even admit they're the source of the mess. I have zero respect for an individual or corporation that creates a problem and then scapegoats responsibility on to others, and that is Aetna in a nutshell. Aetna exhibited totally unprofessional behavior in the matter and that says it all about the quality of the company.

Original review: March 18, 2021

This is the worst insurance company. You pay a Fortune out of pocket only for them to tell you, not a doctor, that surgeries won’t be covered Medications won’t be covered and they constantly lie about how much of your out-of-pocket max has been met. When it comes to Medications the insurance company decides what Medications are good for you not a medical professional. It is an absolute disgrace.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I am an expat, living overseas and have used this coverage for the past two years. I was very careful in reviewing and comparing plans, trying to get one that would cover virtually everything beyond a $1000 deductible. Unfortunately this plan has not lived up to its benefits package claims. I submitted $2,294.70 over the past year, and was informed that I was only eligible for slightly over $200 in reimbursements.

They also had a survey of questions they asked me when I signed up for coverage, and anything listed was excluded from coverage. This is now illegal in the United States, but because it is a global plan, they are outside the U.S. jurisdiction. Moreover, their online claims submission form was extremely tedious to use. I have a PhD and a masters in economics and yet it took me over 6 hours to submit a set of claims, very frustrating, and in the end, I received no return reimbursements for it. I highly recommend you look elsewhere for coverage.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Bought a $15,000 health insurance policy from Aetna International and was told medicines would be covered. Up until now every single claim has been denied. These people are crooks and their CEO belongs in jail for fraud.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I was told initially that the MRI office I scheduled an appointment with was in system. The earliest appointment was more than a week out and I took it. The day before the appointment that office messaged me to say I had to reschedule because Aetna had not approved it yet. I called Aetna to double check in case there was an error. The automated menu cut off the call every time while I was in the middle of it, punching the correct number to go to next. I finally went to a free wi-fi down the street to go online for contact. The person I got told me there is a 15 day wait on certification! I asked why it was instant for the first referral appointment but now takes 15 days for a second referral appointment! That is horrible customer service and horrible patient care.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Aetna offers a low premium compared to other companies, reliable payment to providers via automatic crossover, and they haven't raised their rates in 3 years. No hassle on my part so I will stick with them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I had Aetna insurance years ago and had a wonderful experience so was excited when my spouse's employer (HCA Hospitals) offered Aetna coverage. That soon changed! Their website is HORRIBLE and you can't do even basic things online, such as choose find a list of healthcare providers for the HCA plan or choose a PCP. Customer service is horribly unhelpful too. After a few weeks and multiple emails providing directions on how to find the list of PCPs and how to choose the PCP online, they finally admitted that all of the information they had given me was inaccurate and that you couldn't do either in an online account! It took weeks of frustration and inaccurate information to arrive at that point though. I'll be moving to a different insurance provider and dropping this coverage as soon as it's possible and would warn anyone considering Aetna HCA insurance to be very careful about signing up for it. They promise a lot and then don't deliver.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I have tried several Medicare supplements but have found Aetna is the BEST. No cost to me at all and the coverage is well above what I have expected. They have several different plans to choose from, in the last 2 years I have been very impressed.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I've had a good experience with Aetna, It may not cover everything but their customer service is excellent. You can always get through to them. They call regularly to see how you're doing or if you need help.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Competitive rates, widely accepted by physicians and hospitals, low co-pays, fast claim approval, dental reimbursement, easy to use website, broad drug coverage, free at home medical review and assessment.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I have a great agent. Best benefits overall offered in my area. Other plans lacking in the extra coverage that is covered in my Aetna plan such as dental and eye care. I really need those options benefits.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Been online with four different numbers under Aetna's customer service - transferred around now for over 60 minutes and still waiting. Miserable. I was waiting to change a plan within their new Silver Script program but am now waiting to cancel altogether. Uggghhh.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Arguably the worse heath insurance in the US. My company signed with Aetna for a supplemental Medicare. What a mess. I got my yearly monogram when I could, as it turns out 3 days before I was eligible. Now I was lucky to get an appointment with this entire pandemic crazy going on. I explained this to Aetna, and appealed and still got rejected. Now I have to pay out of pocket 700 dollars. It seems that the yearly mammogram has to be on the exact same day you got one last year. So in 2021 my due date is a Saturday, so I am out of luck as the imaging centers are closed. These fools would pay hundreds of thousands to treat Breast cancer but are too cheap to pay for a mammogram 3 days early. A company clearly run by idiots.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Aetna customer service is good but their rates are high & we don't use services much because of copay costs. We liked the old HMO that covered everything. The dental coverage is poor as they choose the lowest quality dental providers for us to choose & we might as well pay out of pocket for one we like. We have put off going for that reason.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Not bad but not perfect. They all have to work on taking care of their members. Without making them jump through hoops just to be able to ???? a doctor. And make easier for customers to reach someone whenever they have a question.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

It was the lowest premium price based on cost and deduction and coverage among insurances but still very expensive to pay and spend medical costs even with non-pre-existing conditions. Very disappointed and almost useless.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

For the most part, I am privileged to have an employer sponsored health insurance that meets the needs of my family. If I were to purchase health insurance through the market place it would cost me upwards of $1K. I also don't require any referrals and Aetna has a good network of participating doctors whom I can see whenever I need their service.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

Diversity in Doctors is lacking. Wanted to find a particular dermatologist to address some skin troubles, preferred a person of color as they could related more specifically to my problem. When asked, they said they could not help.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

It's a standard US health policy. Costs about $20 a week and pretty much gets you in the hospital door. After that you're on your own. But you need it otherwise most hospitals will let you bleed out on their sidewalk. I've experienced this personally so I know the cost of not having even poor health insurance.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

Aetna coverage is moderately comprehensive and payments are made to health care providers in a fairly expeditious manner. Co-pays are comparable to other health insurance companies and prescription coverage is great.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I have Aetna Max Choice Gold with a high deductible. The good thing is that Aetna is accepted most places. But all prescriptions and non-preventive office visits are subject to deductible which means you pay the whole contracted price of the prescription or visit instead of a copay or %. Another downside is that they seem a little disorganized on the back end at times. Overall decent insurance if you have the $ to pay your deductible.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing by paying for Aetna with my Medicare coverage. From my teaching pension, I was getting BCBSM, and I see a big difference in the amount of copays, but I don’t know whether or not it’s worth it. I do have a lot of health issues which stemmed from breast implants, but I had them removed, and still have some issues leftover.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

My company switched from Blue Cross/Blue Shield and I believe we had I feel like we had better health insurance. We now have Aetna and prices are higher in copays and medicines they cover. As for doctor visits the network is broader than I thought so that is a plus. Everyone seems to take Aetna including the doctors I previously seen.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I had to cancel because my family and I had a family plan and paid around $9,000.00 with vey high deductible; I had a procedure which I was told that the insurance would cover, and till this day I still receiving bills that Aetna did not pay. And I am sorry to say but all insurance companies plans are way too expensive, impossible for middle income families to obtain.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

The coverage has been decent. Customer service is another story. They don't know what they are talking about. I called in to find out the price of a drug that was not a formulary drug. I was quoted a price and as a result decided to use GoodRX. When I went to pick up the drug at the pharmacy the pharmacist informed me that my insurance price actually was cheaper than GoodRX. That was not what I had been told, this price was about $40 cheaper than what I was quoted. My opinion on this is quite simple. If you are the person on the phone quoting drug prices for a particular insurance plan GET YOUR INFORMATION RIGHT!!! Some of us out here are counting on that information. I was NOT HAPPY with my experience.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

I have never had any issues with my Health Insurance. Whenever I needed to find a physician or specialist the customer service representative are always helpful. I have never had any Bills left over from my procedures.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I had an issue with a referral I had gotten to see a Ortho Doctor about surgery. When I called the Doctor's office, they said it would be out of network. I contacted Aetna and the rep, called the Doctor's office and corrected the issue.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Terrible customer service. When the president of the United States said no one can be dropped for health insurance during Covid Aetna decided that didn't apply to them and dropped me April 8 2020 for missing 1 payment. I didn't realize I had missed a payment. I offered to pay and they said, "No you're dropped." And then refunded my prior month.

Aetna Health Insurance Company Information