1.08/5
  • 1 star
Based on 40 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 26, 2017

78 Automobile Club of Southern California Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I want to caution EVERYONE who is considering using AAA as their Auto Insurance. I have been a customer for over 25 years. Last year, another AAA customer hit me while I was waiting for a stop light to change. It was 100% her fault. Because we both had AAA I was treated so poorly because obviously they were going to have to pay out. The first representative who called me right after the accident was someone representing the person who hit me - I received no contact from anyone representing me. The person who called me just said they were from AAA - didn't make it clear that they were there to protect AAA - not me. He actually had the audacity to discourage me from using a medical device my doctor had given me to use. He gave me zero advice on how to be assured I had the documentation I would need to get a fair reimbursement for my loss of income as well as medical expenses.

Then the person who was working on the actual claim kept on losing documentation that was sent to her. She kept on saying she didn't receive doctors' documentations, etc when both doctors assured me they had sent my records several times. I could go on forever but this is a cautionary tale - make certain that if you know you will have to go through a claim with AAA - RUN RUN RUN to an attorney before you EVER talk to anyone at AAA. They have done everything to make this experience a living hell. They never once offered assistance or information on what they would need for me to get a fair claim.

I lost over a year of employment and will not receive reimbursement for that loss of work due to the way my doctors did not document their evaluations - so be sure you have an attorney monitoring your doctors and the insurance company. And by all means do not ever believe that AAA is on your side - because they are not!!! DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! BUT GET PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT (AN ATTORNEY) BECAUSE AAA WILL NOT HELP YOU!

Original review: July 25, 2017

On July 7, an individual insured by Automobile Club Insurance side-swiped me. The police officer on the scene called not only Automobile Club Insurance to ensure that his insurance was valid, but also checked mine. Both were deemed valid. The other individual was issued a citation for improper lane change so I called his insurance company that afternoon and filed a claim. Again it was determined that his insurance was valid and not only did they file the claim, but they sent out an adjuster that following Monday, July 10, to do an estimate for the damage. The adjuster told me that I should have it later that afternoon so that I could take it to the body shop and they could get the parts ordered.

Didn't get it that afternoon, didn't get it Tuesday, so I called the claims person on Wednesday and asked her when I would receive the adjustment so I could take it to the body shop just for her to tell me that she had been notified that the individual's insurance with them had cancelled due to non-payment on July 5th, 2 days before the accident but that she couldn't send me anything as she had requested a copy of the letter that was sent to him with that cancellation date. So I called her on that Friday, she said she had received the letter and had submitted a denial letter that had to be sent up to her supervisor for approval and that she couldn't send it until she got it back. I had to file a claim on my insurance. I have a $1000 deductible, but if they send the denial letter, then the claim falls under uninsured motorist and my deductible is waived.

My insurance rep has called multiple times and still has not received the letter. So I called them today, 7/25 and spoke with the claims rep who was extremely rude and told me that she told me she was denying the claim and that I needed to have my insurance fix my vehicle. I told her I didn't have the $1000 deductible and that all I needed was the denial letter and that deductible would be waived. She then rudely said she would send them a note saying it was denied. The whole issue is very circumspect to say the least. I would never recommend this company. If I could find where to file an official complaint so that someone officially looks into the issue of suddenly that individual's insurance was canceled 2 days prior and that he didn't get a ticket for no insurance because they said he was covered, that would be great. I think this company is probably lying.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 2, 2017

On 5/1/17, I received a Renewal Notice from the Automobile Club of Southern California at my Nevada address. Having recently moved from California to Nevada, I thought I'd call and have my membership transferred from California to Nevada as a part of the renewal process. I thought it a bit odd that I should receive a Membership Renewal for Southern California at my Nevada address since I had not notified them of an address change. Then, I concluded that AAA must have automatically changed my address based on a Life Insurance Policy I have with them (on which I did submit an address change).

I called the 800 number for membership services. After navigating through the non-live person phone tree, I was finally connected to a live individual. After asking for my membership number, etc., this person said they were in the Northern California AAA office and could not help me, but would transfer me to the Southern California office. Instead, I was put back into the automated phone tree, put on hold awaiting a live person. When the call was finally answered, it was the Insurance Division of AAA. I explained to them what I was trying to do (simple renewal and transfer) after giving them all my information for the SECOND TIME. Again, I was told by this individual that they would transfer me to someone in the Southern California AAA Membership Office that could help me. 5 seconds later, I was back into the original automated phone tree where I originally started.

We are now at the 15 minute mark of being on the phone, navigating the phone tree, being on hold, or being transferred to the wrong location for a simple membership renewal and transfer. Back through the phone tree and on hold, finally getting in touch with a live person in the Southern California AAA Membership Office. They said they would be glad to help me with the membership renewal and transfer, although they said that the Nevada is a separate business entity, but under the nationwide AAA umbrella. They said they would call Nevada AAA and give them my information if I would hold... 5 seconds later, I was back in the original automated phone tree. In the phone tree this time, I punched "0" and waited for someone to come online while holding.

When I finally got a live person, it was the Membership Division (a different person this time). They asked for my membership number which I provided (for the 4th time) and asked how they could help me. I stated that I wanted to renew my Membership and transfer it from the Southern California AAA to the Nevada AAA. I was told by this person (I assume working in the same office as the previous person) that she could not help me with that--that I would have to contact Nevada AAA and join them as a new member (been 14 years with the AAA Southern California). I told this person that the previous person I spoke with said this COULD be done in their office and was in the process of helping me do it when I was disconnected and placed back into the automated phone tree. The current person insisted that she could not help me with the membership issue.

We are now at the 30 minute mark of time spent on the phone: dialing, going through phone trees, being mis-transferred, talking to at least 4 different people, and losing ALL PATIENCE. So, I told the person that I was speaking to that I will not be rejoining such an inefficient, time-wasting, ridiculous organization as a member. I gave her my membership number and told her to CANCEL my membership immediately... and in the process, was put back into the original automated phone tree!!!

If you are thinking of joining the AAA in California, Nevada, or anywhere else, you will probably be time and money ahead by simply paying for services (towing, etc.) as you need them, rather than subsidizing an organization so disconnected from each other and its membership base as the AAA is. As of 24 hours later, I have received no follow-up telephone calls from anyone at the AAA about this issue. I'm assuming the last person I spoke with did not even inform a supervisor of a membership problem that needed to be looked into. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

The reason I am providing this review is to let others know that the AAA is apparently unable to provide simple membership services via telephone--and to alert others to the high level of inefficiency in this organization. At one time, the AAA was the epitome of automobile services organizations. IMO, this is no longer true.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Got a flat while I was at work, didn't notice until 9:30pm when I was off. I called for a tow home, they said it would be 45-1 hr. I called in an hour and they said another hour. And I kept calling every hour on the hour and finally at 2:30am I called all pissed off and tired and they finally told me they were having trouble getting one of their contractors to come out. I had to call my Brother to get my truck in San Clemente and drive over the toll road to Perris to pick me and my motorcycle up and drive me home. It was past 4am by the time I was home. I felt super bad for him. He had to work the next day so I gave him gas money for my truck and his time. I asked for someone to follow up with me and they keep calling at bad times and never answer when I've called back during business hours.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Congratulations Auto Club! You've turned me from a loyal, long term customer to a spokesman shouting from the roof tops against you. Sadly, if you only knew, I'm the absolute last person to post a reply, let alone a negative one with regards to a company I once esteemed highly. I'll keep it short. My wife and I purchased a home and were looking to insure it through AAA and combine it with our existing auto. Respectfully, AAA declined insuring the home given our location fell just outside of AAA's deemed fire hazard comfort zone. No problem. I quickly found that practically every other reputable insurance company greeted our needs with open arms.

Sat down face to face with our AAA agent, Matthew **, San Clemente and updated him that we decided on State Farm for our homeowners insurance and wanted his direction as to how to proceed regarding our auto. In person, and this is what really infuriates me, it was decided and agreed on in his office cubicle that it obviously was advantageous to “bundle” our auto and homeowners with the new provider, State Farm, given AAA declining to insure our home. The plan was simple, rather than cancelling, let the remaining paid term of auto coverage go until it expires and not renew. Upon expiration, establish new auto coverage with State Farm and we're good. Not quite.

Months pass, AAA renewal notifications/bills steadfastly arrive in the mail. I purposely disregard not opting to renew. AAA notices continue well past the expiration date, which apparently is as inconsequential as Obama’s red line... Open one belabored notice to find as if they were pardoning me for not renewing, keeping the policy active assuming my non-renewal was not sufficient. Hindsight, I should have contacted AAA agent Matt at this point to ensure we’re still on the same page, not renewing the policy even though AAA’s billing didn’t coincide. A collection agency mailing and a phone call now greets me on AAA’s behalf. I supposedly owe them for keeping my policy open. What?! Call agent Matt, how, what, where... please fix this. Nope. Per Matt, I'm liable for the months they continued billing me after expiration?!? Unbelievable! Who does business this way?

Bottom line, I paid the extortion to protect my credit. Interestingly, I start to mention this whole shady billing scenario to my State Farm agent and to my surprise she basically finished my sentences as to what played out as she enumerated on the multiple times she had heard this from prior AAA insurance customers. Wow, you got me! Never again AAA! So agitated with your lack of ordinary principle I no longer want any form of association. I intend to not renew my wife and I’s AAA memberships. Sadly, I’m wondering now if they’ll let me cancel without this whole fiasco repeating itself?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Automobile Club of Southern California?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

We are very disappointed with the AAA. After 46 years of membership. We feel we have been treated unfairly. All of a sudden this year when we filled out our mileage survey, we happened to list our adult son as an additional driver. He only drives on occasion. And in case of emergency, he would be covered. He has his own insurance, and would not need to be listed on ours. We talked to the AAA representative and explained our side of this. And were advised that we would need to sign a form of exclusion. Or pay $250 to include him on our policy. We have tried honestly, to explain our side and have been threatened of cancellation. Actually, unfortunately, we have been cancelled. We have no other option than to go with another Insurance Company. We remain very disillusioned.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

Had auto insurance through ACSC for 44 years. I was thanked for my loyalty each time I called their agency. Unfortunately loyalty is a one way street with the Auto Club. In all of the years I've had the auto coverage I had 2 accidents both of which were (last one in 1991) paid by other party due to being their fault. Note I've been paying $3300 per year for auto insurance which includes 2 daughters.

Last September I experienced a second homeowners claim. After paying homeowners insurance for 19 years at $1000 per year, my insurance was cancelled. The claims totaled $13000 so my calculation was the ACSC was still ahead. When I called to submit the second claim I specifically asked the adjuster if I would be cancelled and she assured me that it wouldn't affect my insurance. I would have gladly paid the money to avoid being cancelled. I was instructed to repipe home or get an expensive coating and they would consider coverage, but immediately I was cancelled. Also I was promptly sent a bill for no longer having a multi policy.

Due to this bad experience I decided to cancel my auto insurance (Also my annual insurance went up to $3900 so it appears they were trying to make up for my property insurance). They took my 44 year membership cancellation with no questions asked. They promptly refunded the rest of my year. So the moral to this story is you can be a loyal customer paying thousands of dollars per year however if you make a claim you will be cancelled.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

Recently I've become aware of an employee of AAA Auto Club (Los Angeles) looking up my driving record along with other personal information. Then exposing my private information to the public. I am certain that the same employee is responsible for identity theft.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I went to AAA because they claimed that they will save me money on my car and home insurance policy. I met with Anthony ** from AAA who told me that he will work everything out for me and I will be good to go. I believe he was sincere at the time. However, I had an issue with having him reschedule/forgetting to follow through with going to my home to take pictures for the home insurance. I finally set up 3 weeks in advanced an appointment that he also failed to show up to. I finally sent him an email letting him know how disappointed I was and he told me that I still have home insurance (even though I received a letter from AAA stating that my home insurance coverage was going to be dropped due to lack of pictures).

I called and complained and was reassured my policy was not going to cancel. Yesterday, I got a check in the mail with a refund of prorated amount from the policy and I have yet another appointment for this coming August 15th for them to take pictures!!! I guess no one knows what is going on and my home now officially is not insured. Thank you AAA!!! I am going to make sure people know my story and not to do business with AAA ever again!

Original review: May 24, 2016

We had a auto and homeowners bundle policy for 17 years thru a national insurance company, but decided we were paying too much now. We researched and found that AAA (Auto Club of So. Cal) have better rates and a supposedly good reputation. We switched, signed up. Our previous policy with the other company was still active until Feb. 16th for auto and Mar. 16th for homeowners. Just before our homeowners policy came into effect we were told that AAA needed to come out and take pictures of the kitchen, bathrooms, and outside perimeter of the house. This was done. About a month later our AAA rep emailed us that said we had some storage containers too close to the house and need them moved and he would have to take more pictures after we moved them. We did this and he came back out to take more pictures.

Now, after the policy had been active for 2 months we were told that our patio, which was permitted and built back in 1972, did not meet their specification because it was built on a concrete slab and had a brick foundation and they were going to cancel our policy. We didn't understand how home improvements that were permitted, inspected and passed back in 1972 were not OK now in 2016? It's funny because our previous carrier had no issues with the construction and we got that policy in 1999.

So be very careful who you choose for your insurance carrier, because you may think you're getting a good deal, and have coverage, then find out in a few months you suddenly have no coverage at all and need to find another carrier ASAP to make sure you don't have any gaps in coverage. God, knows how our mortgage company is going to react if we aren't able to get new coverage in time. So, final words, don't trust AAA, it's better to go somewhere else for your insurance needs!

Original review: April 23, 2016

I filed claim with ACSC for an accident Nov 2013. Was told by them I could get it at a later date and to see I could get car fixed. I was told yes I could. When I called Feb. 2015 ACSC claim person MR Dan **. When he first called and requested what shop I asked to got to he never send info to the shop. And when he got the info right the shop Sam's Autoland lied about a abs light they saw but later claimed I never requested to get checked out at drop off which I did. They asked me did I get it checked out as they called it a misunderstanding later and then "if you bring it we will take it to a dealer to get it checked this but it would be a charge". This all happened after the fact. On day I picked up the car and had made plans to take to a dealer for maintenance if and when I told this to Sam's mgr. Andrew ** he replied "why am I doing this". And I called Mr ** 445. He was out of office and call after hours service. Was told a claim person would be available.

I called. Nobody was available. Mr ** call Monday ask me what I wanted. I replied "my car fixed". He got called them. He called back. I was told it was a misunderstanding. They could take it if I drop it off at the Sam's". I replied "I could done that on the day of pick up". I call Mr ** boss Heather **. She said "we can't do nothing about it". I said Mr ** and Sam's to me didn't handled the claim correctly. I said to her "If I other issues Ms **. She would did. I call her bosses said she would and I ask on do I have go back the Sam's. She said yes. Later a year on I had different issue with claim. I called Ms **. She never called back. On 2 /2016 I had another issue with claims. I called MR **. Never got a call back. Three days later I called claims ask who's handling my case. I was told Dan **. I spoke to claims dept. told I had another issue. He called back same day. I voiced my unhappiness with this claim. He said "I sorry".

He later said "I get you over to a claim specialist". And after the issue was took care of I asked "will you be taking over for future concerns". "The specialist would." In all my years with this company I never had a claim this poorly handled so I wrote to the California Dept. Insurance. They Sam's Autoland. I never get abs light checked and said I refused to let them but told them yes did. They didn't want to pay for the abs light check that is my feeling is.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

I was in a very small accident where a girl backed into my car. It was a he-said-she-said situation. She filed a claim and I reported the accident to AAA. The claims adjuster notified that it would be a 50/50 which in turn said that it would not raise my rates and the deductible would be waived. I was OK with this. Then another adjuster called and asked for pictures of the damage to my car. I sent them. Then they saw that the damage would be less than the deductible so they settled the claim at 51% my fault. This, in turn, made me cover the deductible. So AAA had to pay NOTHING! For some reason, they all of the sudden believed the other driver. I have been with AAA for 40 years and never had a claim. Now they will raise my rates. I think it is time to find another insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

This is the first negative review I have ever had to write, and hate to do it. But this is deserved. I have been a AAA member for decades, and have a gold membership card with my daughter as co-member. My daughter, who is a college student purchased a new battery from AAA battery service because she was stranded and needed a new battery. The batteries came with a 6 year warranty, and a three year free replacement so she thought it was a good deal. Only one problem, they don't honor the free replacement.

After two years the battery would not hold a charge. I jump started the battery with my car and drove it into my garage to do a brake job. I checked that the alternator was charging the battery correctly and it was putting out 14.25 volts. I had the battery on a charger all morning. It would not hold a charge for more than two hours. There was nothing drawing current from the battery but for about 50 to 70 milliamps when I checked. Totally normal. I called AAA roadside assistance and told them I had a bad battery that my daughter purchased from AAA battery service two years ago. I told them it needed to be replaced because it would not hold a charge. They said they would send someone with a replacement battery.

Thirty minutes later a tow truck shows up and wants to jump start the car. They totally botched the call. The nice tow truck operator called their HQ to have a battery delivered and said they would be over in 20 minutes. Four hours later and still nobody had shown up. I called again and finally 30 minutes later someone came by and "tested" the battery. Even though the battery had been charging all day, he said I needed to charge the battery. Hmmm... You think maybe it's bad? He said to drive it for about 30 to 60 minutes to let it charge. Then to take it to an "official" free charging location to have the battery charged before they would even consider replacing it for free. Really? Ludicrous! Fine, I needed to road test the car after replacing all the brakes anyway. Drove for an hour on the highway and parked the car.

Next day, dead again. I shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops to get a "free" replacement battery for a junk battery. I have never had a battery last only two years in my life. The next day I took the car to Autozone. They even tested it and the alternator and clearly stated it was a bad battery. I bought a new battery and it has been fine for two weeks. Guess what? No more battery problems! I'm cancelling my membership at the end of this year. Auto Club of Southern California.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

Automobile Club of Southern California is a fraud! Do not do business with them! I did sign up for their services, however, since I did not need their services after all since I decided that I do not need to drive after all, I decided to cancel their services right away with American Express since that is how I paid for their services to begin with and had no problem in doing so! American Express therefore gave me the credit back right away and blocked my account from being charged and/or from being rebilled again. However, this company is a big fraud because not too long after I cancelled their services, they started having one of their uneducated employees call me up on the phone and harass me for about $60.00 dollars or so that I do not owe them for their services to begin with in which I never used, utilized or needed after all!

In addition, they have been extremely disgustingly and rudely aggressive for the wrong reasons after I have told them over the phone the whole situation and they have continued to illegally call me against my will and ignore my responses. I have therefore asked them to cease and desist immediately and sadly, my wishes have not been respected. I had ended up swearing, yelling and cursing them to leave me the ** alone or I will call the police. It has got that far and my next step is to file a police report if it continues!

Not only that, but this ** company has also sent me many letters harassing me for the money as well like the one that I am presenting to you in the attachment and they even increased the illegal amount of money that they claim that I owe them, even though in reality, I do not owe them a dime! I wish this ** company would just please get their facts straight and start being honest with their potential and non-potential customers when they tell them something because you never know what websites they are going to be broadcasted on like I am doing right now! Obviously!

Original review: July 29, 2015

My travel agent Judy ** at the Oakland Piedmont branch booked our Cruise and air travels. The cruise was for me and my two children, they're 4 & 7. 7 day cruise Sunday - Sunday but she had us flying back 3 days after we boarded the cruise boat. I had to buy full fare tickets for the 3 of us. She won't return any of my calls. I won't stop until I receive a full refund.

Original review: July 29, 2015

My friend and I met with a "Travel Agent" at the Rancho Palos Verdes office on April 22 to discuss a trip to New York, Rome, Amalfi Coast and Greece. On April 23 he sent us an email with an estimate of the cost. We informed him we would think about it and get back to him. We decided that, due to the cost, we would forgo the trip to Italy and just go to New York and Greece. I sent an email on May 5 with firm dates for our new trip. We met with the "Agent" on May 8 to firm up our trip details. He emailed me later in the day with the cost and stated that no space was held. We decided that the itinerary he sent was good so stopped by to see him on May 9 to firm everything up.

On May 13, we met the Agent in his office and gave him two checks - one for the airfare and one for the service charges. At that time, the airline seats were picked and we were given a preliminary itinerary and the e-tickets would be sent to us. I was preparing an itinerary for the family on June 15 and realized that there were no seat assignments for our air travel on the preliminary tickets provided. I went to see the Agent to make sure I was mistaken and to also get our tickets (e-tickets or otherwise). He checked to make sure and found there were no seat assignments - even though they were paid for and chosen on May 13.

He placed a phone call and was on hold for a long time. He said he would email me the seat assignments. I did not hear from him that day. I called him in the morning, but he didn't get in until 11:00 and then had a client. He called me about 1:00pm and gave me the seat assignments as follows: Length of flight, seats assigned, WHY? LAX-JFK, 5 hours 40 min, 36A/37A, not together. JFK-ATHENS, 9 hours 56 min, 39F/40F, not together. ATHENS - JFK, 10 hours 56 min, 41J/41H, 2 rows from end.

Obviously, these seats were unacceptable. Since our trip began June 29, it became very clear that AAA was not doing anything to fix the situation. I contacted three "supervisors" to no avail. DON'T TRUST THEM. We paid in full May 13 and still didn't have seats on June 15. NOT ACCEPTABLE. Still no response from anyone in management at AAA.

Original review: May 29, 2015

Early May 2014 went in to thousand oaks office to pay auto ins, was suggested that we "bundle" homeowners as well. Agent got our home information, went to a fax machine, pulled off info about a flood in the home in 2010. We confirmed that there was and that our homeowners insurance had covered the loss. Never did she indicate in any way that because of the 2010 loss that AAA may not be willing to insure. She proceeded with the quote & said she would be calling. Never called, finally a month later we called her. We're told that because of the flood AAA could not insure us but AAA had a "secondary" insurance company & she would have an agent call. He did call and advised us that because of the FIRE claim they could not cover us. Told him we never ever had any fire damage, only water the one time, he said he'd get back to us. Never heard a word from AAA again regarding homeowners.

Giving us the quote without any caution that because of the "flood" that we could be turned down seems like a bait and switch. Early in February 2015 I took my husband off the auto policy, cancelled insurance on one of the three vehicles because he had passed away. I am still receiving mail from AAA addressed to him. I have obtained auto & homeowners insurance elsewhere, "bundled", with the same coverage as AAA but at a significant savings. Two comments: The agents don't follow through and there seems to be no communication between departments otherwise I wouldn't be receiving mail addressed (to me) and my deceased spouse.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

AAA is 100% liable for an accident caused by one of their insured. After I contacted AAA and told them I had a repair estimate from the BMW dealership the AAA claims agent "Dawn" in Escondido told me "regardless" I still had to take our BMW to Caliber Collision in San Marcos for their repair inspection (isn't that against California state law?). After going to Caliber Collision which was a joke, they literally took less than 3 minutes to inspect our car, I got back to AAA and talked to claims manager "Mark **?" and told him we are not going through Caliber Collision and that we will need a rental car while our BMW is being repaired, he said he would look into our case and get back to me. He never got back to me. Next I get a phone message from Enterprise Car Rental in Escondido, they told me AAA made a reservation for a car rental and they just need to confirm the dates.

I called Enterprise Car Rental, AAA told them we were going through Caliber Collision and that we were responsible for paying for the rental out of our pocket. I was furious, I left a phone message for claims manager Mark ** telling him we are not going through Caliber Collision and we are not paying out of our pocket for a car rental. I asked him to return my call, he hasn't called back. I left him 2 more phone messages along with my email address. In my phone message I also asked Mark to provide me with the name of his supervisor and contact number and I asked Mark to provide me with his email address. Mark still has not responded. This guy is suppose to be the "claims manager" for the Escondido branch, what a joke, AAA totally sucks. I guess we will go through our own insurance co. and let them go after AAA, or get an attorney? What a hassle...

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

Based on recommendation of my girlfriend I went to AAA in Long Beach CA to obtain BOTH auto and home insurance. In the past had obtained quotes and they were about twice as much as other insurance companies. Never have I experienced such poor customer service in SIGNING up for insurance. AAA requires an home inspection for home owners. Insurance, other companies will take a photo from the street and you're ready to go (if that), no problem. Agent makes an appointment to come over and we WAIT 4 hours for him and he never comes or calls. True professional. Contact office about inspection and does not contact me for 7 weeks.

A few days before Xmas he calls and says he needs to do the inspection today... I had literally just arrived in Vegas for my annual 2 week vacation there. Asked him why he never got back to be earlier... He was on vacation. Asked him why such SHORT notice. Said his office just told him it was needed now. WHAT. Told him won't be back in town for 2 weeks. He said he would let them know and get back to me. Never called me back and my insurance was cancelled. True professionals. Mind you, I was paying TWICE the amount with AAA than the other company and only went to them because of their alleged reputation. My girlfriend said I should have went to the same AAA office she had coverage (Costa Mesa ca). There are serious problems with the AAA office in long beach... WARNING!!! CAUTION!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I have had my automobile insurance through AAA for decades. When I purchased a new vehicle, I went in to the Tustin, CA AAA office and met Ken ** to have this vehicle added to my auto insurance policy. I later emailed him the necessary documents he requested (Dealer sales contract). Afterwards, I never heard back from Ken. I called and left him 2 voicemail messages without any reply. I also left 2 voicemail messages to his supervisors without any reply at all. It is frustrating not to get any response (email or phone call) back about this request.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

I was never informed that there was a limit as to how many times (I have basic membership) I could get a jump to my car. They sent me a letter that there was a limit of four jump starts per year. Folks, I had four jumps in one month, battery kept going dead due to lights being left on. I searched/looked in the benefit membership packages; nowhere does it say that there is a limit of four roadside assistance! When you click on membership comparisons:...It does not state that at all; they are misleading the public and its members. Not a good policy at all because it is not noted to us! I protest this and want this to be included in all information shared to potential members. I received a letter from the Emergency Road Services Administration stating I must pay $60 bucks to AAA; and if I do not, they will not give me further roadside assistance because I have reached their so called limit that I knew nothing about. A violation of my rights under U.C.C.1-308...all contract info must be transparent. BE aware folks and have a good day.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Worse insurance company ever, experts at bait and switch and unacceptable customer service. As you know, AAA aggressively advertises for new business. This summer, I called for a quote. I own five vehicles that were then covered by Travelers Insurance (under two different policies) and I was interested in determining potential cost savings by covering all five vehicles under one policy. I was not then considering making a change in my homeowners policy that I have had with Travelers for six years. The sales agent inquired about my homeowners policy and encouraged me to move that policy to AAA and save additional monies through bundling. I disclosed that in May 2011, I made a claim on that policy due to my dog haven bitten a UPS delivery person. Other than the incident with the UPS delivery person, my dog has never bit or threatened any other person, and has become much more complacent with age. My dog is a Cockapoo, weighing about fifteen pounds and is now 12 and one-half years old. During that call, the agent pulled the dog bite claim up and told me the precise amount that was paid to the claimant.

I was informed me that this prior incident would not pose a problem and that I should move forward in obtaining the bundled policy with AAA as it would save me considerable money from my existing homeowners and auto policies, which were both up for renewal on September 15. I proceeded accordingly. Home inspection was required. After home inspection I was told by the agent I was approved and I should proceed to cancel my existing policies with Travelers. I relied on the AAA agent's statements and proceeded accordingly. The bundled deal that I purchased was only attractive because it included all my vehicles and the homeowners policy. In other words, I would not have made the change had I not been offered the full package of rates for coverage and the assurances AAA sales agent provided.

Without any notification or warning, on Saturday, October 25, 2014, I received a letter (dated October 22nd) stating that my homeowners policy was being terminated effective November 16, due to the dog bite incident. This made no sense as the incident had been fully disclosed and discussed and I was assured it was not a problem. I immediately called both the sales agent and underwriter whose phone numbers were listed on the letter. Neither returned my call. After my spending the day on Monday making further inquiries, I finally received an email requesting a copy of the loss letter from my prior carrier, which AAA already had but I immediately sent to the agent. I was told there was a mistake in that, she had uploaded something wrong, and led me to believe that issue would be favorably resolved. She told me that her manager, would contact me to confirm. I received no communications from anyone I contacted including the regional Vice President of business development for Southern California. The VP of business development do not return my phone calls or respond to a detailed email.

Also during this time, I contacted my prior homeowners insurance carrier as I cannot be without home insurance. I was informed that had I sought reinstatement within two weeks of the cancellation, it would have been honored. Now, my request for homeowners insurance would be viewed as an entirely new one, subject to more stringent requirements and fees (especially because I no longer have my auto insurance with it). On Thursday afternoon, I learned that AAA was going to proceed in cancelling the homeowners policy. To add insult to injury, I was further informed that AAA was now going to increase the rates for my car insurance due to lack of bundling and should I cancel the car insurance policy at this time (due to the bait-and-switch), AAA was going to charge me an eleven percent early termination penalty fee. This conduct is in complete bad faith. The company SUCKS, will run you around and I can't even imagine what would happen if you actually had to place a claim with AAA.

Original review: July 17, 2014

June 2 had kitchen flood. DryTec came out as AAA agent. It took them 3 days to bring dryers. AAA estimator came out a week after leak. After a month of no word from AAA, we called back. Mold set in. Kitchen needs replacing. AAA expects a packing company to come in for $8.00/hour to pack, which is not even minimum wage. They also stated you can replace an kitchen and repair the damage wall in the garage for less than $16,000. This price includes lead and asbestos removal. The price will not even cover stock, smaller cabinets.

Original review: April 8, 2014

I obtained a quote over the phone and was given a premium. I was not comfortable using my credit card over the phone so I went in to a local AAA branch office and was given a second price. I asked why? The agent tried to avoid answer me but I would not take leave without an explanation. He said the "mileage" driven per year was lowered by the agent in the call center. I told the agent in the office the same mileage I told the agent in the branch. 10,000 per year estimate. I said I wanted the lower rate and the agent in the office refused to honor the rate given by the agent over the phone and said I should call him back to finalized the plan. I asked to speak with the manager and he couldn't give a reason on this situation except to say agent are compensated differently for writing the policy with correct information and incorrect information. Buyer beware!!! If the agent manipulate one of many possible details... will AAA deny a claim if one is filed. Nobody knows and Nobody will give me a direct response.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

After AAA endorsed a Santa Barbara Hotel (the Mason Beach Inn) with their "diamond" rating, I made a reservation. The property kept my family waiting for over three hours at check in. On top of this, the manager, **, was discourteous, and the hotel charged over three hundred dollars for a one-night stay. When I complained to the manager, he said he would "take care" of the problem. After not hearing from him for over a month, I made over fifteen calls to the same manager. He did not return one single call. Not one. This is when I decided to get the Auto Club involved, as they had endorsed this property.

As a club member for almost thirty years, with a Premier membership for the last six, I figured that they would at least try to advocate on my behalf. The "top dog" at the Auto Club that the other reviewer referred to, Regional Manager **, first listened to my complaint and said she would arrange for a "ten percent" refund, which the hotel didn't honor. I made five additional calls to the hotel manager, which again, were not returned. When I contacted her again, she actually began to advocate for the property, rather than her member, stating that I had "ultimately checked in" - as if that was the point.

I escalated the complaint to Edward **, who is the last stop on the chain of command - the President is unreachable (an employee told me that his number is "unpublished"), which shows just how concerned he is with his members. Mr. ** said that he refuses to reconsider any decision made by his Regional Manager (so why was I told to escalate the complaint to him and then given his name and number?) and refused to answer the simple question I asked him: Is what happened to me and my family consistent with the standards the Auto Club expects of the hotels it endorses? Rather than simply say, "You're right. You have a good point, and we need to do something about this", he simply blew me off with a comment about how my complaint will be considered the next time the property "comes up for review."

Really? You're going to continue to recommend this property to your members knowing full well that they have treated a member this way and might do it (or worse) again? Especially given that (as I found out last week), in between my making you aware of what they'd done and now, you've re-endorsed them? I repeated my question to him several times, each time asking simply if what had happened was consistent with what the Auto Club expects of the Hotels it lends its name to. Each time, he refused to answer the question, because he knows that what his Regional Manager did is wrong - and he is not ethical enough to make it right. Don't trust the Auto Club's endorsement of a hotel, or its "diamond" rating. It's meaningless, and they don't stand behind it - or their members.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2014

I received a call a few weeks ago from an employee named ** that is stationed out Diamond Bar, CA Auto Club. She called me on my personal cell number looking for another employee. I asked her how did you get my number and her response was she had it. I know she didn't have my number and the only way it could be found is through Auto Club system. I'm going to cancel my membership if this problem doesn't resolve soon. I didn't know that employees have right to get my personal information off your system. I now believe that I have no privacy.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2013

Three employees, including agent whom left cubicle to double check told us the same thing. Teen drivers with permits are covered free until they get their license. Then five months later, I got a retroactive change to my policy. I was being charged from the day my teen turned 16 1/2. The change didn't happen when my policy renewed. No money was added to my premium until after the 16 1/2 day happened. Was even postmarked for a week later. I spent hours on the phone and in the office over two weeks of BS! I had been a member for 31 years. I was treated like crap and was accused of all kinds of crap. The one guy on the phone was great. But he had his hands tied and could not reach the guy from branch who was a phone tagger. Nor could he reach any person to help him.

After resolving the issue and doing what the lower level guy in the branch offered to do (only I declined at first because I wanted a supervisor to give me what I was promised.... coverage until my teen was licensed or at least eligible to take the exam). His supervisor didn't call me, she made him call me and wanted me to pay. In the end, I was not charged. It was outrageous.... This is the short version. I left AAA after 31 years. While shopping, I discovered all the companies I called covered my teen until he got his license. ** off AAA, seriously.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2013

In March of this year 2013, I was on the freeway, and was hit by an 83-year-old on the freeway insured by AAA. Two others in the car, had minimal injuries. I sadly now after 6 months, am looking at possible lifelong nerve spinal damage. I have had 2 spinal epidurals, total of my out-of-pocket bills are at this point 8 thousand dollars and I suspect that they will be much more. Shame, shame on the mock, Mediator and Adjuster that have no level of integrity. I was offered first $900, and now 10 thousand dollars. This is not what I expected from AAA.

Original review: June 11, 2013

I went to get car insurance with AAA on December 10th, 2012. I went to the Torrance, California location. I dealt with a Sales Agent by the name of Earlene **. When I received my new policy, I examined to find that Ms. ** added an Edwin ** to my policy. I called Ms. ** to ask what is going on with this guy on my policy. I was told not to worry about it. I said, "What the HELL you mean not to worry about it?" I said, "Take his name off my policy immediately." Ms. ** said she would. She was very adamant that this guy would not affect my policy in any way. I still said remove him immediately. Well I received my new policy on June 1st, 2013 because it's coming up on a year. What do I see! Edwin **'s name is still on my policy.

I went to AAA club on Monday, June 10th, 2013 and spoke to a Sales Agent Debborah **. She removed this ** from my policy. I am not pleased with the LIES, the SERVICE and the unprofessional care I received from Ms. **. I sincerely believe Ms. ** knows this guy ** on some type of level. You don't go around adding people to other people's policy. I am not angry with AAA as a whole. I'm angry with the service I received from one of their employees. Ms. ** needs further training in my opinion. So now I am going to wait and see if this guy's name is totally removed from my policy. Ms. ** is going to send me information through the mail showing the removal of this guy's name.

Original review: April 13, 2013

I purchased a policy from AAA and I was not informed of the 18% annual percentage rate it charges for paying for the car insurance under installments. When I called to complain to the manager, he stated it should have been told to all consumers, but they have trouble controlling the staff because they are afraid of losing the sale! Not acceptable!

Automobile Club of Southern California Company Information