Find a Car Insurance partner

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

1.1/5 (60 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Automobile Club of Southern California

The Automobile Club of Southern California offers reasonably priced car insurance policies to drivers in California. As part of the AAA network, Automobile Club of Southern California provides access to nationwide benefits and coverage while maintaining the perks of a small business.

Pros

• Reasonable membership fee
  • Several discounts
  • Part of AAA’s nationwide network

Cons

• Typical auto coverage perks
  • Annual fee

Bottom Line

Automobile Club of Southern California (ACSC) is part of the nationwide AAA network. Its auto coverage includes roadside assistance, towing, travel planning, identity theft protection and various discounts.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Automobile Club of Southern California

ACSC is the Southern California branch of the nationwide AAA network. AAA’s services, including ACSC auto coverage, are available only to members. AAA’s basic membership provides perks like roadside assistance, car towing, identity theft protection and trip planning, as well as discounts on products like auto and home insurance, car rentals, tickets, hotels and other travel services.

How does Automobile Club of Southern California work?

AAA members in Southern California pay an annual fee for access to ACSC discounts, åuto insurance and travel and financial planning. ACSC memberships provide access to AAA’s services nationwide. Membership prices do vary based on location, but basic membership starts with a reasonably low fee. You can pay more for additional services with the Premier plan.

How much does Automobile Club of Southern California membership cost?

AAA’s Classic membership in Southern California costs $56 per year, plus a one-time $20 admission fee — however, ACSC periodically runs promotions waiving this starting fee. New members must enroll in the Classic plan, and existing members can upgrade to a Plus or Premier membership, which provides additional benefits. All members receive perks for joining, including towing service, emergency fuel delivery, flat tire help and jump-starts.

Automobile Club of Southern California FAQ

Does ACSC provide comprehensive coverage?
ACSC offers comprehensive roadside coverage, as well as other perks. Roadside assistance includes towing up to 7 miles, battery and jump-start service, emergency fuel delivery, vehicle extrication and winching, identity theft protection, trip planning, maps and DMV transactions. Discounts include lockout and locksmith service, rentals, passport photos and notary services.
Is ACSC affiliated with AAA?
Yes, ACSC is the Southern California branch of AAA.
Where is ACSC located?
ACSC has branches in 12 California counties: Inyo, Imperial, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Tulare and Ventura. Members can also visit AAA branches in other areas. Its roadside assistance is available from independent service providers throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Is Automobile Club of Southern California worth it?

AAA’s Southern California branch offers several services and discounts for a reasonable fee. Many members find the fee worth it due to all the insurance, hotel and general travel discounts. If you want auto coverage in Southern California with several perks, ACSC might be for you.

Automobile Club of Southern California Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Automobile Club of Southern California?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

After being a member for more than 50 years, today I will cancel my membership! For 50+ years I’ve paid for towing services and have on occasion used this service for my F250 truck. Seems AAA has changed the terms and conditions and not notified me! While my truck is my personal truck, I have advertised my business with a logo since I bought the truck in 2004. Since that time AAA has towed my truck when needed. Today the tow truck arrived, the driver walked around my PERSONAL truck with my logo and exclaimed my truck is a Commercial vehicle! It’s not! It’s my personal truck simply advertising my personal business! So the driver and AAA left me stranded! Poor business! #AAAsucks

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I have had Triple A since I was 16 and I have never experienced anything this terrible. We have been waiting for a long time over two hours in the dark and no tow. I think waiting and waiting could have possibly been robbed or anything. I am very disappointed I am going to rethink my membership.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

They sent me a check for $323 (due to a refund) to the wrong address. By the time I got the check in hand, more than 6 months had passed. So the funds stayed with them. State law requires them to return the funds to the States "Unclaimed Properties" where we can get our funds for checks beyond 6 months. They conveniently forgot to do so and kept the funds. Also they convenient encourage the clients to pay electronically, but to refund they mail checks. Thieves, Unethical, Illegal.

Original review: July 11, 2021

For the sake of other members, I hope the service I got from ACSC (Automobile Club of Southern California) never gets any worse than what I endured. I was driving through the high desert on Highway 74 in Riverside County about 7 miles from the small town of Anza when I slowly lost all electrical power including to my spark plugs. My alternator had stopped working. I called ACSC for help, and Valley Auto in Anza was called to assist. I then called them directly to ask how soon they expected to be able to send a tow truck. I was told that all of their drivers were out of town on service calls and they couldn’t say when I could expect anyone to tow me to my mechanic.

I called ACSC to relay that information, and I asked if the request for service could be forwarded to Idyllwild Garage, another nearby authorized service provider, instead. Please note that I was “dead on the road” on a small desert highway, and that the temperature was 105°. Again, ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE DEGREES! And my only shelter was my ‘96 Toyota Tacoma mini-pickup truck, basically a small metal box, in the direct sun. (During World War II, the Japanese put prisoners of war into that same situation as a method of torture.) When I made that second call to ACSC, I was told that my request to change service providers would have to be approved by a supervisor, and that I would receive a call when that happens.

I advised the Auto Club rep of the weather conditions, also that I was towing a small, empty flatbed trailer, but I would have no problem with locking the hitch and leaving it on the side of the road if necessary. So I waited for word of the supervisor’s approval. And waited. And waited. Then I called again and was told the same thing, that my request had been forwarded to a supervisor who will have to authorize the change, and I will be informed when that happens. So I waited some more. Still nothing from Auto Club. So I called the owner of Idyllwild Garage asking if he could do anything to help me.

He said he hadn’t yet received any communication from ACSC, but that he would send a truck immediately so the driver would be standing by my side while we wait for authorization to tow my truck to get repaired. Now THAT is service, and THAT is respect for the people who pay for that service. The driver had my vehicle on his truck and ready to go before even getting the go-ahead from ACSC. We got the approval shortly thereafter. All together, from the time I made my first call to ACSC to getting towed by Idyllwild Garage, I baked in the desert sun for 3 1/2 hours. ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE DEGREES FOR THREE AND A HALF HOURS waiting for the “supervisors” (aka: superiors?) to do their job.

When my wife learned about the incident, she called ACSC to, shall I say, express her disappointment with Auto Club’s incompetence. The representative said he would request a $61 credit toward our membership renewal. I’m not impressed. In fact, I consider trying to whitewash the situation with $17 per hour for involuntarily being stranded, especially in those conditions, to be disgraceful. If anything, a formal written apology would been a more appropriate indicator of sincere remorse, or if that’s too much to ask and it’s easier to try to appease me with something not so degrading, perhaps a free year of membership would have been a more appropriate way to say, “Please forgive the poor service, and please remain a member.”

With the exception of a brief lapse of my membership about thirty years ago I have been a member of ACSC since the early 1970s, nearly a half century. I am also insured by Auto Club. I joined at the advice of my sister who was a Claims Adjuster for ACSC and my parents who were also members for several decades. The service I received from this well known organization was disgraceful.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I have been a loyal customer to this office for more than 15 years. But things have gone downhill lately. This branch in Corona is now full of bad insurance agents. They kept trying to rip me off with playing the numbers game. They treated me as if they were entitled to rip me off. Don't bother to go there unless their upper management do something to improve it.

Original review: March 9, 2020

AAA hires the bottomfeeders no doubt. I am canceling my membership. What I witnessed is straight-up theft. Scene of an accident. Freeway Towing shows up. We waited while they moved the wrecked out of the way. Then it happened....we watched the driver of the tow truck remove articles from the wreck, including a wallet. He removed cash, cards and other then tossed the wallet back in the wreck.

We went over. Confronted. He admitted it, He said he had a "Rubacon" whatever that is to pay for and can't file bankruptcy again. His wife is in the medical field. She wants nice things. So he does what he has to do. Gotta love you folks AAA. We are done. No way would I allow your contractors to touch any of my equipment. We are in touch with the authorities and the owner of the wreck. There needs to be more done about this criminal company Freeway Towing.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I believe all drivers subscribe to a roadside service and assistance to have a peace of mind when traveling on the road. Sadly, last Christmas night, at Lebec, CA (Grapevine), we got stuck in the snow and AAA did nothing to help us at all. The one we talked on the phone said in an annoying way "just because you got snowed in does not mean it is eligible for AAA roadside assistance". Later, as the CHP helped us out of the freeway, we settled in a gas station as hotels/motels are all fully booked. We wanted to take the long route home in unfamiliar roads but the confirmation from AAA that we are not covered if we get snowed in prevented me from trying so. We were told by the AAA rep that "it has to be a mechanical problem". We ended up sleeping in the car for 2 nights from Christmas night until the I-5 freeway opened up 2 days later.

I just recently upgraded my family of 4, AAA membership to plus and premium membership this year so I guess we will revert back to regular membership. What a waste of money when you are not confident that your roadside assistance will back you up. Also note, we have seen other tow trucks tow their customers out of the snow and we spoke with one of them that told us it was included in their insurance policy. Beware...

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I had my homeowner's and auto insurance with AAA. One day I received a check in the mail and in the description, it said refund for cancelled policy. I immediately went to check my policies online and There was no auto policy to be found. I called the customer service line and they said that my auto policy had been cancelled because I did not respond to a letter that they supposedly sent. The letter was a request for me to specifically exclude my youngest daughter from the policy since she was of driving age. Now, my daughter does not even have her permit nor has she applied for it. The customer service agent kept saying that they sent me a letter. I kept saying I did not get it. When I asked for her to reinstate my policy she said that she had to send it to underwriting and that could take up to 72 business hours.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. After a long hold, he gets on the phone and says "We sent you a letter". I said, "Let's not start this. Please reinstate my insurance immediately." He said the only way he could do that is if they receive a signed document excluding my unlicensed/permitted daughter. After 17 years they could not even phone a friend and let me know that they did not receive the exclusion. I have no problem excluding her but cancelling my insurance without my knowledge is unacceptable.

Original review: July 19, 2019

First of all, I am not a AAA member, but after the experience I had, I will NEVER use their services. My home was damaged by one of their insured members back in Oct 2018. Here it is July 2019 and they STILL have not submitted payment to my insurance company so I can be reimbursed for my deductible that I am still out of pocket. Additionally, trying to talk to anyone in AAA Claims Department is a joke. My claim was assigned to Eduardo Rodriguez in the LA office and he is absolutely terrible at returning phone calls or emails. His manager Gina ** is useless as well. AAA could offer me a premium of $1 for insurance and I would still turn it down based on the way I was treated.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I paid my premium in full $2359 at the start of my policy Activation. My rate went up $367.80 4 months after I started my Policy because they could not insure my home. So on the sixth month I cancelled my policy and was surprised that on top of the obvious pro rate, I was charged an extra 11% for early cancellation that was not listed in my start up packet AAA provided upon policy activation. Be careful of their hidden fees especially 11%! That should be against the law!

Automobile Club of Southern California Company Information