Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

The Automobile Club of Southern California offers insurance to California drivers. The club's insurance program is not yet an InsuraMatch verified company. Call InsuraMatch to get quotes from partner companies that serve customers in your area. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

California drivers say they appreciate the small-business vibe of Automobile Club of Southern California with the connections to the greater benefits of AAA. Reviews note speedy responses to claims and positive customer service experiences.

PROS

• AAA network connections
  • Travel benefifts for AAA insurance customers
  • Roadside assistance available
  • Financially stable company
  • Additional AAA benefits

CONS

• Some customers have found the method of getting information to be cumbersome
  • Only available in Southern California

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Automobile Club of Southern California Reviews

Original review: March 9, 2020

AAA hires the bottomfeeders no doubt. I am canceling my membership. What I witnessed is straight-up theft. Scene of an accident. Freeway Towing shows up. We waited while they moved the wrecked out of the way. Then it happened....we watched the driver of the tow truck remove articles from the wreck, including a wallet. He removed cash, cards and other then tossed the wallet back in the wreck.

We went over. Confronted. He admitted it, He said he had a "Rubacon" whatever that is to pay for and can't file bankruptcy again. His wife is in the medical field. She wants nice things. So he does what he has to do. Gotta love you folks AAA. We are done. No way would I allow your contractors to touch any of my equipment. We are in touch with the authorities and the owner of the wreck. There needs to be more done about this criminal company Freeway Towing.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I believe all drivers subscribe to a roadside service and assistance to have a peace of mind when traveling on the road. Sadly, last Christmas night, at Lebec, CA (Grapevine), we got stuck in the snow and AAA did nothing to help us at all. The one we talked on the phone said in an annoying way "just because you got snowed in does not mean it is eligible for AAA roadside assistance". Later, as the CHP helped us out of the freeway, we settled in a gas station as hotels/motels are all fully booked. We wanted to take the long route home in unfamiliar roads but the confirmation from AAA that we are not covered if we get snowed in prevented me from trying so. We were told by the AAA rep that "it has to be a mechanical problem". We ended up sleeping in the car for 2 nights from Christmas night until the I-5 freeway opened up 2 days later.

I just recently upgraded my family of 4, AAA membership to plus and premium membership this year so I guess we will revert back to regular membership. What a waste of money when you are not confident that your roadside assistance will back you up. Also note, we have seen other tow trucks tow their customers out of the snow and we spoke with one of them that told us it was included in their insurance policy. Beware...

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I had my homeowner's and auto insurance with AAA. One day I received a check in the mail and in the description, it said refund for cancelled policy. I immediately went to check my policies online and There was no auto policy to be found. I called the customer service line and they said that my auto policy had been cancelled because I did not respond to a letter that they supposedly sent. The letter was a request for me to specifically exclude my youngest daughter from the policy since she was of driving age. Now, my daughter does not even have her permit nor has she applied for it. The customer service agent kept saying that they sent me a letter. I kept saying I did not get it. When I asked for her to reinstate my policy she said that she had to send it to underwriting and that could take up to 72 business hours.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. After a long hold, he gets on the phone and says "We sent you a letter". I said, "Let's not start this. Please reinstate my insurance immediately." He said the only way he could do that is if they receive a signed document excluding my unlicensed/permitted daughter. After 17 years they could not even phone a friend and let me know that they did not receive the exclusion. I have no problem excluding her but cancelling my insurance without my knowledge is unacceptable.

Original review: July 19, 2019

First of all, I am not a AAA member, but after the experience I had, I will NEVER use their services. My home was damaged by one of their insured members back in Oct 2018. Here it is July 2019 and they STILL have not submitted payment to my insurance company so I can be reimbursed for my deductible that I am still out of pocket. Additionally, trying to talk to anyone in AAA Claims Department is a joke. My claim was assigned to Eduardo Rodriguez in the LA office and he is absolutely terrible at returning phone calls or emails. His manager Gina ** is useless as well. AAA could offer me a premium of $1 for insurance and I would still turn it down based on the way I was treated.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I paid my premium in full $2359 at the start of my policy Activation. My rate went up $367.80 4 months after I started my Policy because they could not insure my home. So on the sixth month I cancelled my policy and was surprised that on top of the obvious pro rate, I was charged an extra 11% for early cancellation that was not listed in my start up packet AAA provided upon policy activation. Be careful of their hidden fees especially 11%! That should be against the law!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Automobile Club of Southern California?

Original review: May 29, 2019

I've been a member for 43 years and I have "NEVER" been treated so poorly as I have been for the past month. All that I wanted to do was to cancel my home and auto insurance, which I have the right to do, at any time as the policy owner. It seems that the incompetent people, don't want to help their customers and they lie to you and tell you that your home policy is canceled, when in fact it is not canceled. Rather than cancel the policy, it seems that AAA waits until payment is due and because no payment is made, (policy canceled) they lapse the policy and charge you a lapsed fee. This is totally unacceptable!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Auto Club of California aka AAA Auto Club claims on door dings are covered under collision and not comprehensive. Very convenient because collision usually has $500 deductible and comprehensive carries $250. When looking for a good insurance company for your car, think twice before you pick Auto Club.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I am still getting bills in the mail even though the amount I paid shows in their system. Don't join AAA. I'll be looking for a better company who works for the customer. You've turned me from a loyal, long term customer to a spokesman shouting from the rooftops against you. Sadly, if you only knew, I'm the absolute last person to post a reply, let alone a negative one with regards to a company I once esteemed highly.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have had AAA renters insurance throughout my moves around the country and have always benefited from friendly staff and competitive rates - this has NOT been my experience, however, dealing with AAA of Southern California. AAA Southern California uses antiquated customer support processes, was unable to provide me a quote in one phone call and does not make their policy information available online like it is for the roadside assistance services. Furthermore to amend my policy, they required me to come into a branch in person, unlike any other provider I researched. With AAA insurance I am dealing with literal pieces of paper.

To further exacerbate their inadequacies, when requesting a quote to add my engagement ring to my current renter's policy it was over 2x as expensive as three other quotes I was given from other insurers. What is laughable is that when I first tried calling AAA to amend my renter's insurance policy to include my engagement ring I called the Northern California branch by accident. Their response was immediate, easy to navigate to and policy information available online. I was pleasantly surprised until they realized I'd reached the wrong branch and had to transfer to Southern California where I was placed on hold for over 10 minutes in queue. And each successive policy agent was more and more confused as to how to deliver what I was requesting.

All this being noted, I've NEVER had a problem with AAA Southern California's roadside assistance. And in fact had them come through for me several times in a pinch. (Including when I got a flat on the highway - they mobilized someone to help in less than 10 minutes - great!) This has NOT been my experience with their insurance products. If you are planning to purchase insurance from the AAA Southern California operation, I would rank this a *strong* avoid - go to someone else.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

5:45 am - Called roadside assistance/selected Option #1 on voice menu "Battery Service". 6:15 am - Tech came on time (within 30 minutes)... and, was VERY irritated that I wanted him to check the battery to see if it needed replacement - which I was prepared to move forward with. It seems that he ONLY charges batteries/does not do diagnosis or replacement. THAT requires an additional service call because it is available only after 8 am. The phone menu SHOULD INFORM members of the time that particular service is available... so, that they don't have to deal with waiting and making two service calls! As a result, I was able to have the local Firestone - open at 7 am - handle it and cancelled the 2nd AAA roadside service request. I have sent this information to AAA via their website in hopes that they will INCLUDE this information on their voice menu!

Take a Quiz