Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
1.13/5

Automobile Club of Southern California

The Automobile Club of Southern California offers insurance to California drivers. The club's insurance program is not yet an InsuraMatch verified company. Call InsuraMatch to get quotes from partner companies that serve customers in your area. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

California drivers say they appreciate the small-business vibe of Automobile Club of Southern California with the connections to the greater benefits of AAA. Reviews note speedy responses to claims and positive customer service experiences.

PROS

• AAA network connections
  • Travel benefifts for AAA insurance customers
  • Roadside assistance available
  • Financially stable company
  • Additional AAA benefits

CONS

• Some customers have found the method of getting information to be cumbersome
  • Only available in Southern California

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Automobile Club of Southern California Reviews

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I had my homeowner's and auto insurance with AAA. One day I received a check in the mail and in the description, it said refund for cancelled policy. I immediately went to check my policies online and There was no auto policy to be found. I called the customer service line and they said that my auto policy had been cancelled because I did not respond to a letter that they supposedly sent. The letter was a request for me to specifically exclude my youngest daughter from the policy since she was of driving age. Now, my daughter does not even have her permit nor has she applied for it. The customer service agent kept saying that they sent me a letter. I kept saying I did not get it. When I asked for her to reinstate my policy she said that she had to send it to underwriting and that could take up to 72 business hours.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. After a long hold, he gets on the phone and says "We sent you a letter". I said, "Let's not start this. Please reinstate my insurance immediately." He said the only way he could do that is if they receive a signed document excluding my unlicensed/permitted daughter. After 17 years they could not even phone a friend and let me know that they did not receive the exclusion. I have no problem excluding her but cancelling my insurance without my knowledge is unacceptable.

Original review: July 19, 2019

First of all, I am not a AAA member, but after the experience I had, I will NEVER use their services. My home was damaged by one of their insured members back in Oct 2018. Here it is July 2019 and they STILL have not submitted payment to my insurance company so I can be reimbursed for my deductible that I am still out of pocket. Additionally, trying to talk to anyone in AAA Claims Department is a joke. My claim was assigned to Eduardo Rodriguez in the LA office and he is absolutely terrible at returning phone calls or emails. His manager Gina ** is useless as well. AAA could offer me a premium of $1 for insurance and I would still turn it down based on the way I was treated.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I paid my premium in full $2359 at the start of my policy Activation. My rate went up $367.80 4 months after I started my Policy because they could not insure my home. So on the sixth month I cancelled my policy and was surprised that on top of the obvious pro rate, I was charged an extra 11% for early cancellation that was not listed in my start up packet AAA provided upon policy activation. Be careful of their hidden fees especially 11%! That should be against the law!

Original review: May 29, 2019

I've been a member for 43 years and I have "NEVER" been treated so poorly as I have been for the past month. All that I wanted to do was to cancel my home and auto insurance, which I have the right to do, at any time as the policy owner. It seems that the incompetent people, don't want to help their customers and they lie to you and tell you that your home policy is canceled, when in fact it is not canceled. Rather than cancel the policy, it seems that AAA waits until payment is due and because no payment is made, (policy canceled) they lapse the policy and charge you a lapsed fee. This is totally unacceptable!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Auto Club of California aka AAA Auto Club claims on door dings are covered under collision and not comprehensive. Very convenient because collision usually has $500 deductible and comprehensive carries $250. When looking for a good insurance company for your car, think twice before you pick Auto Club.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Automobile Club of Southern California?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I am still getting bills in the mail even though the amount I paid shows in their system. Don't join AAA. I'll be looking for a better company who works for the customer. You've turned me from a loyal, long term customer to a spokesman shouting from the rooftops against you. Sadly, if you only knew, I'm the absolute last person to post a reply, let alone a negative one with regards to a company I once esteemed highly.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have had AAA renters insurance throughout my moves around the country and have always benefited from friendly staff and competitive rates - this has NOT been my experience, however, dealing with AAA of Southern California. AAA Southern California uses antiquated customer support processes, was unable to provide me a quote in one phone call and does not make their policy information available online like it is for the roadside assistance services. Furthermore to amend my policy, they required me to come into a branch in person, unlike any other provider I researched. With AAA insurance I am dealing with literal pieces of paper.

To further exacerbate their inadequacies, when requesting a quote to add my engagement ring to my current renter's policy it was over 2x as expensive as three other quotes I was given from other insurers. What is laughable is that when I first tried calling AAA to amend my renter's insurance policy to include my engagement ring I called the Northern California branch by accident. Their response was immediate, easy to navigate to and policy information available online. I was pleasantly surprised until they realized I'd reached the wrong branch and had to transfer to Southern California where I was placed on hold for over 10 minutes in queue. And each successive policy agent was more and more confused as to how to deliver what I was requesting.

All this being noted, I've NEVER had a problem with AAA Southern California's roadside assistance. And in fact had them come through for me several times in a pinch. (Including when I got a flat on the highway - they mobilized someone to help in less than 10 minutes - great!) This has NOT been my experience with their insurance products. If you are planning to purchase insurance from the AAA Southern California operation, I would rank this a *strong* avoid - go to someone else.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

5:45 am - Called roadside assistance/selected Option #1 on voice menu "Battery Service". 6:15 am - Tech came on time (within 30 minutes)... and, was VERY irritated that I wanted him to check the battery to see if it needed replacement - which I was prepared to move forward with. It seems that he ONLY charges batteries/does not do diagnosis or replacement. THAT requires an additional service call because it is available only after 8 am. The phone menu SHOULD INFORM members of the time that particular service is available... so, that they don't have to deal with waiting and making two service calls! As a result, I was able to have the local Firestone - open at 7 am - handle it and cancelled the 2nd AAA roadside service request. I have sent this information to AAA via their website in hopes that they will INCLUDE this information on their voice menu!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I signed on with AAA because they gave me a great quote for my family. When I received the bill in the mail it was for over 3000. They couldn't help me when I called to complain about it. I of course cancelled, only to find out they charge me 1700 for cancelling. I really couldn't believe it. After a ton of calls, emails to explain why I cancelled because of their agent's negligence, they still wanted to charge me. I settled for an 8th of the price, even though it was against my better judgement. I am still getting bills in the mail even though the amount I paid shows in their system. Don't join AAA.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Was in the Mojave Desert in August with my classic Auto Club So Ca membership card when the vehicle began to sputter and finally died. It was at night 9 PM and very hot in So Ca. Called Auto Club for a tow as we had plenty of fuel, battery and coolant so we were thinking the fuel pump failed. Spoke to a girl on the phone, gave her the information she wanted and she said she has a truck on its way but wanted to mention to me that my "Classic" membership will only tow the vehicle 7 miles from where it is. I asked her how would that be of any help, we're about a good 80 miles from any town? She said well, she could upgrade me to the "Plus" membership and that would tow us 100 miles if I wanted to. I asked her about the "7 miles or to the nearest contract station" benefit the Classic card provides and she didn't understand what that meant.

Got her boss on the line and she understood the memberships to be the same, 7 miles towing for "Classic" and 100 for "Plus". I explained they need to get out the contract membership agreement and read what it says about how far their service will tow a vehicle. Keywords are "Or, to the nearest contract station" which was Parker, AZ. This went on and on and then the tow truck (flatbed) showed up. I told Auto Club to take it up with their boss, "we're hot, wasting time with them and the tow truck is here who also disagrees with you". Ended the call and had a nice Air Conditioned ride for about 50 minute inside the truck. The driver was very competent and said, "Don't worry, we do this all the time and our tow lot is the closest one so you are good."

Got to his tow lot and he said, "try to start it now, sometimes fuel pumps fail as they heat up". Sure enough, the vehicle started so we could take the short 20 mile drive to our place vs. find a motel at midnight. The car made it all the way and the next day, took it to the dealer for a new fuel pump that was failing. Placed a call to Auto Club member services a few days later to file an issue as it was completely unfair to have idiots dealing with members who had no idea what the services are. Got a basic "I'm sorry" don't know what to tell you. Got out some paper and sent a letter to the Auto Club who responded with a "I'm sorry, we'll try better next time." I didn't think that set in far enough with them so sent a letter to the President, at the time. He wrote back with apologies and assured further training and review would occur to be sure all of their employees are current with policy. He also refunded my membership fee for the year to be sincere.

I have to say, what a complete blunder experience we had, in the middle of the Desert, Luckily had cell service and at the other end of the phone was an employee trying to upsell us to a “plus” card in efforts to reel in added revenue over a fake reason. I’m going to guess a lot of folks would have believed the employee and upgraded. How low can a company get?

Automobile Club of Southern California Company Information