Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.14/5

Automobile Club of Southern California

The Automobile Club of Southern California offers insurance to California drivers. The club's insurance program is not yet an InsuraMatch verified company. Call InsuraMatch to get quotes from partner companies that serve customers in your area. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

California drivers say they appreciate the small-business vibe of Automobile Club of Southern California with the connections to the greater benefits of AAA. Reviews note speedy responses to claims and positive customer service experiences.

PROS

• AAA network connections
  • Travel benefifts for AAA insurance customers
  • Roadside assistance available
  • Financially stable company
  • Additional AAA benefits

CONS

• Some customers have found the method of getting information to be cumbersome
  • Only available in Southern California

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

87 Automobile Club of Southern California Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Worse insurance company ever, experts at bait and switch and unacceptable customer service. As you know, AAA aggressively advertises for new business. This summer, I called for a quote. I own five vehicles that were then covered by Travelers Insurance (under two different policies) and I was interested in determining potential cost savings by covering all five vehicles under one policy. I was not then considering making a change in my homeowners policy that I have had with Travelers for six years. The sales agent inquired about my homeowners policy and encouraged me to move that policy to AAA and save additional monies through bundling. I disclosed that in May 2011, I made a claim on that policy due to my dog haven bitten a UPS delivery person. Other than the incident with the UPS delivery person, my dog has never bit or threatened any other person, and has become much more complacent with age. My dog is a Cockapoo, weighing about fifteen pounds and is now 12 and one-half years old. During that call, the agent pulled the dog bite claim up and told me the precise amount that was paid to the claimant.

I was informed me that this prior incident would not pose a problem and that I should move forward in obtaining the bundled policy with AAA as it would save me considerable money from my existing homeowners and auto policies, which were both up for renewal on September 15. I proceeded accordingly. Home inspection was required. After home inspection I was told by the agent I was approved and I should proceed to cancel my existing policies with Travelers. I relied on the AAA agent's statements and proceeded accordingly. The bundled deal that I purchased was only attractive because it included all my vehicles and the homeowners policy. In other words, I would not have made the change had I not been offered the full package of rates for coverage and the assurances AAA sales agent provided.

Without any notification or warning, on Saturday, October 25, 2014, I received a letter (dated October 22nd) stating that my homeowners policy was being terminated effective November 16, due to the dog bite incident. This made no sense as the incident had been fully disclosed and discussed and I was assured it was not a problem. I immediately called both the sales agent and underwriter whose phone numbers were listed on the letter. Neither returned my call. After my spending the day on Monday making further inquiries, I finally received an email requesting a copy of the loss letter from my prior carrier, which AAA already had but I immediately sent to the agent. I was told there was a mistake in that, she had uploaded something wrong, and led me to believe that issue would be favorably resolved. She told me that her manager, would contact me to confirm. I received no communications from anyone I contacted including the regional Vice President of business development for Southern California. The VP of business development do not return my phone calls or respond to a detailed email.

Also during this time, I contacted my prior homeowners insurance carrier as I cannot be without home insurance. I was informed that had I sought reinstatement within two weeks of the cancellation, it would have been honored. Now, my request for homeowners insurance would be viewed as an entirely new one, subject to more stringent requirements and fees (especially because I no longer have my auto insurance with it). On Thursday afternoon, I learned that AAA was going to proceed in cancelling the homeowners policy. To add insult to injury, I was further informed that AAA was now going to increase the rates for my car insurance due to lack of bundling and should I cancel the car insurance policy at this time (due to the bait-and-switch), AAA was going to charge me an eleven percent early termination penalty fee. This conduct is in complete bad faith. The company SUCKS, will run you around and I can't even imagine what would happen if you actually had to place a claim with AAA.

Original review: July 17, 2014

June 2 had kitchen flood. DryTec came out as AAA agent. It took them 3 days to bring dryers. AAA estimator came out a week after leak. After a month of no word from AAA, we called back. Mold set in. Kitchen needs replacing. AAA expects a packing company to come in for $8.00/hour to pack, which is not even minimum wage. They also stated you can replace an kitchen and repair the damage wall in the garage for less than $16,000. This price includes lead and asbestos removal. The price will not even cover stock, smaller cabinets.

Original review: April 8, 2014

I obtained a quote over the phone and was given a premium. I was not comfortable using my credit card over the phone so I went in to a local AAA branch office and was given a second price. I asked why? The agent tried to avoid answer me but I would not take leave without an explanation. He said the "mileage" driven per year was lowered by the agent in the call center. I told the agent in the office the same mileage I told the agent in the branch. 10,000 per year estimate. I said I wanted the lower rate and the agent in the office refused to honor the rate given by the agent over the phone and said I should call him back to finalized the plan. I asked to speak with the manager and he couldn't give a reason on this situation except to say agent are compensated differently for writing the policy with correct information and incorrect information. Buyer beware!!! If the agent manipulate one of many possible details... will AAA deny a claim if one is filed. Nobody knows and Nobody will give me a direct response.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

After AAA endorsed a Santa Barbara Hotel (the Mason Beach Inn) with their "diamond" rating, I made a reservation. The property kept my family waiting for over three hours at check in. On top of this, the manager, **, was discourteous, and the hotel charged over three hundred dollars for a one-night stay. When I complained to the manager, he said he would "take care" of the problem. After not hearing from him for over a month, I made over fifteen calls to the same manager. He did not return one single call. Not one. This is when I decided to get the Auto Club involved, as they had endorsed this property.

As a club member for almost thirty years, with a Premier membership for the last six, I figured that they would at least try to advocate on my behalf. The "top dog" at the Auto Club that the other reviewer referred to, Regional Manager **, first listened to my complaint and said she would arrange for a "ten percent" refund, which the hotel didn't honor. I made five additional calls to the hotel manager, which again, were not returned. When I contacted her again, she actually began to advocate for the property, rather than her member, stating that I had "ultimately checked in" - as if that was the point.

I escalated the complaint to Edward **, who is the last stop on the chain of command - the President is unreachable (an employee told me that his number is "unpublished"), which shows just how concerned he is with his members. Mr. ** said that he refuses to reconsider any decision made by his Regional Manager (so why was I told to escalate the complaint to him and then given his name and number?) and refused to answer the simple question I asked him: Is what happened to me and my family consistent with the standards the Auto Club expects of the hotels it endorses? Rather than simply say, "You're right. You have a good point, and we need to do something about this", he simply blew me off with a comment about how my complaint will be considered the next time the property "comes up for review."

Really? You're going to continue to recommend this property to your members knowing full well that they have treated a member this way and might do it (or worse) again? Especially given that (as I found out last week), in between my making you aware of what they'd done and now, you've re-endorsed them? I repeated my question to him several times, each time asking simply if what had happened was consistent with what the Auto Club expects of the Hotels it lends its name to. Each time, he refused to answer the question, because he knows that what his Regional Manager did is wrong - and he is not ethical enough to make it right. Don't trust the Auto Club's endorsement of a hotel, or its "diamond" rating. It's meaningless, and they don't stand behind it - or their members.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2014

I received a call a few weeks ago from an employee named ** that is stationed out Diamond Bar, CA Auto Club. She called me on my personal cell number looking for another employee. I asked her how did you get my number and her response was she had it. I know she didn't have my number and the only way it could be found is through Auto Club system. I'm going to cancel my membership if this problem doesn't resolve soon. I didn't know that employees have right to get my personal information off your system. I now believe that I have no privacy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Automobile Club of Southern California?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2013

Three employees, including agent whom left cubicle to double check told us the same thing. Teen drivers with permits are covered free until they get their license. Then five months later, I got a retroactive change to my policy. I was being charged from the day my teen turned 16 1/2. The change didn't happen when my policy renewed. No money was added to my premium until after the 16 1/2 day happened. Was even postmarked for a week later. I spent hours on the phone and in the office over two weeks of BS! I had been a member for 31 years. I was treated like crap and was accused of all kinds of crap. The one guy on the phone was great. But he had his hands tied and could not reach the guy from branch who was a phone tagger. Nor could he reach any person to help him.

After resolving the issue and doing what the lower level guy in the branch offered to do (only I declined at first because I wanted a supervisor to give me what I was promised.... coverage until my teen was licensed or at least eligible to take the exam). His supervisor didn't call me, she made him call me and wanted me to pay. In the end, I was not charged. It was outrageous.... This is the short version. I left AAA after 31 years. While shopping, I discovered all the companies I called covered my teen until he got his license. ** off AAA, seriously.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2013

In March of this year 2013, I was on the freeway, and was hit by an 83-year-old on the freeway insured by AAA. Two others in the car, had minimal injuries. I sadly now after 6 months, am looking at possible lifelong nerve spinal damage. I have had 2 spinal epidurals, total of my out-of-pocket bills are at this point 8 thousand dollars and I suspect that they will be much more. Shame, shame on the mock, Mediator and Adjuster that have no level of integrity. I was offered first $900, and now 10 thousand dollars. This is not what I expected from AAA.

Original review: June 11, 2013

I went to get car insurance with AAA on December 10th, 2012. I went to the Torrance, California location. I dealt with a Sales Agent by the name of Earlene **. When I received my new policy, I examined to find that Ms. ** added an Edwin ** to my policy. I called Ms. ** to ask what is going on with this guy on my policy. I was told not to worry about it. I said, "What the HELL you mean not to worry about it?" I said, "Take his name off my policy immediately." Ms. ** said she would. She was very adamant that this guy would not affect my policy in any way. I still said remove him immediately. Well I received my new policy on June 1st, 2013 because it's coming up on a year. What do I see! Edwin **'s name is still on my policy.

I went to AAA club on Monday, June 10th, 2013 and spoke to a Sales Agent Debborah **. She removed this ** from my policy. I am not pleased with the LIES, the SERVICE and the unprofessional care I received from Ms. **. I sincerely believe Ms. ** knows this guy ** on some type of level. You don't go around adding people to other people's policy. I am not angry with AAA as a whole. I'm angry with the service I received from one of their employees. Ms. ** needs further training in my opinion. So now I am going to wait and see if this guy's name is totally removed from my policy. Ms. ** is going to send me information through the mail showing the removal of this guy's name.

Original review: April 13, 2013

I purchased a policy from AAA and I was not informed of the 18% annual percentage rate it charges for paying for the car insurance under installments. When I called to complain to the manager, he stated it should have been told to all consumers, but they have trouble controlling the staff because they are afraid of losing the sale! Not acceptable!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2013

I have been an AAA club member for 20 years. Today, I called the AAA to arrange for my father's car to be towed from my house to his house, because it was unsafe to drive. They informed me that I cannot arrange the tow, because it is not covered under my membership! I was not able to tow from one residence to another. I informed them that the car starts and runs but it is unsafe to drive; I needed to return the car to my father's house for my brother to work on it.

I was told again that they would not tow since the vehicle is going to a residential house and not a repair shop. I would need to hire a private towing company to tow the vehicle and pay them! I informed the supervisor and manager that my father was able to tow the car from his house to mine using his Premier membership card without an issue, and they told me it was because he was able to use a "one-time residential tow." I asked then that I wanted to use my one-time residential tow since I have not used my card. They said no since my father already did it, even though we have two separate memberships. I spoke to the supervisor and manager and they both refused to schedule the tow. When I purchased the Premier membership, I was not told that I could not tow a vehicle from a residence to a residence. That's with all the business I send their way.

I am done. I am cancelling my membership and will no longer be recommending the AAA to people. I am looking for another provider and will recommend them instead to the Auto Club.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2012

I had a pipe break in the main line into the house. I have been insured for 20+ years. Destroyed 150 sq feet of OAK floors. Bids ran $4000.00 plus removal, scrapping, and sanding. I had oak paneling on the walls, for beauty and warmth to match floors, which had to be removed along with the dry walls. Repair cost is over $9000.00. So far, this does not include computer damage or other property damage. AAA company of choice stated they would have done all repairs for less than $5000.00 including drying, storage - all repairs. This is less than the cost of replacing true oak floors and walls. Don't you love the way they treat you? Have their insurance on at homes and 5 cars. Time for a change. To top it off, you don't get call backs when you call from reps.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2012

Agent Jay booked us overnight hotel rooms at Ramada Inn in San Jose on Aug. 13, 2012 .We got to the hotel at about 12:30 and on walking in through the hotel door, the carpet was filthy. In the walkway, windows were dirty, carpet was filthy. In the rooms, faucet was not working properly. We called AAA who could not resolve this issue and we had to pay for more rooms at the Hilton in San Jose. I would like a refund of the money and also to be reimbursed for the money spent at the Hilton.

Original review: July 28, 2012

I received an invitation for an auto insurance quote via Westways Magazine and in return I will receive a $10.00 gas card. On May 30, 2012, I went to the Redlands office of Auto Club and got a quote, but it was too high compared to my current provider. Auto Club did not get my business and I did not get the $10.00 gas card they promised. I called the manager of the insurance department in Redlands and he was quick to answer that I will get it from the corporate office. My question is this: when? It has been 2 months now and there is still no card.

Original review: June 28, 2012

I began my employment with AAA in 1974. In 2005, I had reached the required number of years of service plus my age, which entitled me to retire with a benefit of $1906.00 per month. I decided not to retire at that time. In August 2005, I was a pedestrian and was hit by a car, which was insured by AAA. I was in a coma for a few months and moved to a convalescent center in October. I was so disabled that I was unable to ever work again.

There were interviews and correspondence between AAA and my self with me appearing at the AAA office in which I worked and informing supervisory staff that I would not be returning to work due to my disabilities. I completed forms from the company regarding my disabilities. I then received a letter from my supervisor stating that the AAA Club was treating my disablement as a "voluntary termination." They also informed me that I should have been terminated three years previously, but it was not due to a clerical error. When I phoned to protest, I got no satisfaction.

When I applied for my retirement, I was informed that my $1906.00 per month would be paid to me for one year and then would be reduced to under $500.00 per month being that I had "retired early." I protested that I had not retired early; I had been disabled. Their reply was that the "club" retirement makes no distinction between early retirement and disability.

I have contacted an attorney. I happened to be at AAA for notary services and spoke to another long-time employee. This employee stated that after 40 plus years of service, when they put in for their retirement, they were immediately hit with a 5% wage reduction. This company is vicious and needs to be disciplined. I'm filing a complaint with everyone who will entertain it.

Original review: April 16, 2012

AAA charged another person's membership to my credit card. They know who the person is, they know my credit card number and know they charged my credit card for that person's membership but they refused to do anything until I prove they charged my credit card. Huh? I had to fax my credit card statement to them and it was done 4 different times. I have not heard back nor have I received my money.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2012

I purchased a car battery on Jan. 17, 2012 from AAA which they represented to be new with 3-year replacement warranty. On February 18, 2012, the battery was dead. The response team that sold the battery, Florence Motors Inc., claimed it simply needed re-charging and refused to replace. I did as suggested and charged the battery approximately 45 minutes and afterwards the battery was still dead. The response tech came again and again said the battery was in need of re-charging and refused to replace it.

I spoke with the manager, a man named Baca (sic), who was rude and said for me to do whatever. I informed him I would file a complaint and seek to have his contract rescinded. I lodged a telephonic complaint, to no avail. I was told the protocol was being followed. On 2/20/12, I had the battery inspected by a Ford dealership and was told the battery had a dead cell. I was forced to buy another.

I am seeking redress and would like the name and address of the vice president in charge of customer service, and I would like the name and address of the president of AAA Southern California. I have been a member of the club for 42 years. My number is **. I expect your prompt response.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2012

The Auto Clubs Verified Mileage Program or Pay as You Drive Program was approved by the Insurance Commissioner earlier this year and was touted as a way to save consumers money by lowering the price of insurance when they drive less. In theory, the program has its merits by discouraging unnecessary driving by motorists. In reality, the Auto Clubs implementation of the program has many troubling flaws.

Auto Club agents are pressured to forge insurance documents and manipulate insurance premiums in exchange for more phone duty, better phone calls, better leads, paid vacations, better treatment by management, a trip to the Bahamas, and to maintain their employment. Ethical agents are threatened and harassed to quit or accept their fate that they will be terminated for low performance. High production is looked at as a virtue and not scrutinized as agents submitting fraudulent business. Low production is looked at as laziness, incompetence, stupidity, and reason for punishment and termination. Lead distribution is such that high producers are given more leads and low producers are given even less leads insuring a huge gap between high and low producers. It also skews the policies written with integrity versus policies that are problematic.

Rather than estimate the accurate or actual mileage for each policy, agents are lowering initial mileage readings when starting a policy, which lowers the annual mileage category and thus lowers the annual premium, but just for that year. Agents that use this practice to quote will sell more policies because the premium will be much lower than it would otherwise be. Agents can accomplish this because only about 25% of all policies require inspections with an odometer reading. Agents at the district offices are allowed to inspect their own vehicles. They omit odometer readings intentionally and enter any figure they want to sell the policy.

All this would be a moot point; however, with the Verified Mileage Program insured are required to submit their exact mileage reading upon renewal of the policy or be removed from the program. Though no fault of their own, many Auto Club insured members will have renewals with extraordinarily higher mileage depending on how much the agent lowered the original mileage and how many miles were driven during the current policy period.

An example to illustrate the wrong that is being perpetrated on unsuspecting consumers: If I start a policy today and my current annual mileage is 15,000 and I bought the car exactly a year ago, with zero miles, the mileage category should be 15,000 miles or less. The agent knows if he quotes me at 15,000 miles per year I won’t buy the policy so he enters my mileage at 5,000 and my premium is much lower than what I am paying now so I switch to the Auto Club. I’m happy until my renewal arrives next year.

The premium almost doubles in price. When I am asked by the Auto Club what my current mileage is next year, it will be 30,000 because if you remember I was driving 15,000 miles per year and my vehicle had 15,000 miles at the inception of the policy. The Auto Club is going to rate my renewal at 25,000 miles per year because my agent entered 5,000 as my current mileage at the time I purchased the policy. The renewal will encompass the miles that were deficient from the prior policy which is at 10,000 and include the actual miles driven that is, 15,000. My annual mileage rating goes from 5,000 per year to 25,000 per year because it looks like I drove all those miles in only one year.

I really didn’t drive that much but that is the way the miles are calculated. That’s a big increase. If I complain, I am told by the representative that I am a liar and I can bring in a service receipt in 30 days to lower my mileage to where it should be. Now that is customer service! Some from the company may say that the miles are being accounted for over two years so it really doesn’t matter. This is all being suppressed by the sales department. My view is the original sale would not have taken place and the premium manipulation has put the insured into a situation where the policy is written under false pretenses and can be voided by the insurance company.

The agent doesn’t care because all this stuff will happen a year later and he sold a policy he normally would not have. The Auto Club praises the current agent and lavishes him with more phone duty, pays him more per policy, and sends him on paid vacations because he is a top producer and gets away with doing this on a daily basis. Nobody seems to notice except our insured members. On the renewal, the policy is way over priced and the insured non-renews or has to fight with our customer service department that won’t believe him. The insured doesn’t know exactly what happened because they did not see the fraud that was committed against them. The fraud only becomes apparent on the renewal a year later. The insured has lost all longevity with their prior carrier because they are now with the Auto Club. Their current renewal is too high so the insured must shop for insurance elsewhere.

The only way to eliminate the out right fraud and corruption at the Automobile Club of Southern California is to require inspections with odometer readings for every policy written. Currently, inspections are not required for liability, only policies or insured that have prior insurance with similar coverage. Also, agents in the field can perform their own inspections and omit the odometer photo on purpose! This lack of accountability on new policies opens the door for agents to commit fraud and abuse on the unsuspecting public. This is a verified mileage program so you must verify the mileage or otherwise this is a sham and should be abolished. Also, allowing the same agent that writes the policy to inspect the vehicle is a flagrant conflict of interest. The inspection should be completed by a manager or impartial third person at all levels of the organization and at all times include a photo of the odometer.

There should be a separate disclosure just for mileage in the insurance documents that require the exact mileage for each vehicle to be listed at the inception of the policy. The insured should be required to sign the disclosure verifying the exact mileage for each car on the policy. There should be an explanation that this figure will be used to determine next year’s mileage calculation. Unbelievably, this is not now required. The mileage would therefore be verified by the insured, by an inspector, and by the agent. The current system allows for only the agent to verify the mileage and the agent has a conflict of interest to be trusted with that. Currently, the only disclosure that references anything about mileage is on the Coverage and Limits page and this only lists what the annual mileage is calculated at. This is misleading if the insured doesn’t know what their real annual mileage is or how it was calculated. Most insured don’t know what they drive and are influenced by the agent. When you ask an insured how many miles they drive, they most likely under estimate. This figure should still be listed in that location but the mileage disclosure should list the exact miles at the inception of the policy. There is a culture of corruption within the Auto Club of Southern California and drastic measures are needed for true change to be forthcoming.

The Auto Club will defend its position by stating it has systems in place to catch fraud and abuse and to some extent they do. However, the only way to avoid agents from lowering mileage is to educate the insured with a mileage disclosure that must be signed by the insured and the agent. It should explain how this figure will affect the rating for the following year. When only some of the policies require inspections, and this can be manipulated by field sales agents, then there is no effective process.

When the agent knows in advance which policies will require an inspection the agent can make up the mileage on selective policies to, get the job done. The Auto Club will also reference the fact that conversations are recorded and can be audited for integrity. The agent knows this and never asks the insured what their mileage is. They’ll only make reference to how much the insured commute is and make up a figure that is statistically consistent with the commute, albeit on the low end. The policy ends up being a fill in the blanks bonanza for the agent.

Some managers look the other way and others go further by processing business that has serious errors. In fact, some managers were required to send policies through processing a second time to verify corrections were completed because the managers couldn’t be trusted to verify the corrections were actually completed. This company needs managers to watch the managers. But when the processing team can only catch incorrect phone numbers or spelling corrections, the mileage factor cannot be corrected at the pre-completion level but only at renewal when the insured complains about the increase in premium unless an inspection is completed and a mileage disclosure is developed.

Without seeming redundant, I have spoken in generalities because it is not my intention to get employees in trouble but to correct the failures of this program and this company. If the deficiencies discussed here are not corrected I have lists of managers, employees, and policy numbers that are at issue and I will release this information to the media and notify those insured that have been wronged. Insured will have grounds for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2011

A few weeks ago, both of my vehicles were damaged when I parked them in my community's parking lot. The workers on the lot used a concrete saw to cut up the parking lot and in the process covered both my 2003 Special Edition F-150 and my very low mileage 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo in large amounts of concrete dust. The cars were wet from morning dew, then got covered, and then heated up in the sun. Concrete dust, to anyone unaware, contains silica (a very fine abrasive) and lime (a highly basic chemical) that will etch the car paint. Both vehicles are in need of complete repaints.

I filed a claim with AAA and was assigned a claims representative named Sergio **. Sergio was vague and careless. He was either unable or unwilling to answer my questions regarding their total loss policy, adjustment policy, or any of the claims and repair process.

Upon his recommendation, I got the Porsche into a body shop to assess the damage (I actually took it to two shops). Both advised against detailing the car and they said that my only option was a complete repaint. Upon mentioning concrete dust, both acknowledged that anything less than complete repaints would leave me with vehicles that would quickly degrade far past the damaged condition that they were in.

I was then contacted by Chris **, a San Diego based claims adjuster, who suggested that instead of meeting at the body shop to adjust the damages, we should meet at my place of residence. I forwarded him the body shop quotes and I thought that everything would be fine.

Upon his arrival, he suggested that I have both cars detailed at my own expense so that he could further assess the damage. I objected strongly, based upon the recommendations of every person I've talked to. Everyone said that I should avoid detailing because it could make my problem worse.

Since then, I have been in contact with multiple managers from various offices within AAA and no one has provided me with any help or assistance. My vehicles have been damaged for 3 weeks now and I see no end in sight.

Both of my vehicles are seeing daily depreciation as well as increasing in damage the longer they are left unattended to. I cannot remove the residual dust without damaging the car more, which only makes the problem worse.

Additionally, I use my Porsche as a marketing item. I am a member of the Porsche Club of America and develop most, if not all, of my business through PCA referrals. My marketing item is now damaged and I have not been able to use it for weeks, and it will likely never be back to its pre-concrete-dust-damaged state.

I have been an AAA member for 24 years and I have had nothing but good interactions until now.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2011

We presently have homeowners insurance coverage through Auto Club of Southern California since approximately 1987. And we have been Auto Club members for almost 30 years. We have an uncashed claim check from Auto Club for damage to our home. The date of issuance is May 9, 2001. The reason the check was never cashed was because it was inadvertently packed away in storage, along with other home furnishings and boxes. It was when our house was being renovated. While going through the boxes in storage in August 2011, we found the uncashed check.

We then called Auto Club to report the uncashed claim check, the status of it and re-issuance of the check. The Auto Club claimed the monies from the check had been sent to the State of California unclaimed property department. They said that I would have to contact the State regarding the funds. I contacted the State of California Dept. for unclaimed property. I was told they did not receive any check or funds from the Auto Club for us. Therefore, I called Auto Club back to tell them what the State said.

From the outset, Auto Club never helped us. It's been very frustrating. We've been passed on to so many different people from Auto Club. We had to explain and re-explain the same situation many times over to every different person. Either the person didn't know anything, or they didn't know what we were talking about. They would give us the wrong information. They said they would call back, but they didn't. They would also say there was no information about my last contact with Auto Club regarding the matter. I'd ask them their name and phone number. They would give me the main number, instead of their extension. So, the next time I'd call back to check on the status of the uncashed check, I would be talking to another different person. I would have to repeat the matter all over again from the very beginning. This went on for 2-1/2 weeks.

Auto Club now claims a new check was reissued to us, and the one we have was voided. However, they refuse to give us proof of the executed reissued check. Auto Club claims they no longer have records of the check. Yet, how does Auto Club know they reissued a check to us since they claim not to have any records? We appreciate your help in assisting us in this matter. We want to be treated equitably.

Sincerely, James & Kathleen **

Original review: July 1, 2011

Due to financial difficulty I decided to change my auto insurance from full coverage to liability only. When I received the adjusted policy the amount was exactly $60.00 short of the amount they should have credited me. It took me awhile to figure out what they did and how they did it. When I arrived that their erroneous calculations, I wrote them in detail showing them their accounting errors and the correct amount due me. I never received an answer to my letter but did receive a new balance due which I did not owe as I had paid off the policy in full on the last payment.

They also demanded the balance due (according to their figures) full even thought I had opted to pay over a 9 month period of which I had four months to pay. When I called them they told me that they do not accept letters from their customers nor do they accept any faxes. They also said that I do owe the amount because they charge on a daily basis from the time the bill is adjusted until the time of payment which is totally bogus. They manipulated the adjustment to reflect a balance due of $60.00 which is the exact amount they originally gave me on the discounts allowed at the onset of the policy. I immediately cancelled the policy and went with another insurance company which charge me $118.00 less with better coverage.

Original review: May 4, 2011

This woman tells me she is the top dog at Triple A and there is no one over her to complain to. We are due a refund of $120 which Auto Club has refused to give us. They have been a mess to deal with. Lousy customer service. We’re out $120 and a bottle of pills for the migraines they gave us. They are liars.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2011

I was with AAA for 4 years. In September 2009, I was in a minor accident. I turned on my blinker, checked my mirrors, and proceeded on the narrow road because it was clear. Apparently, the gentleman that hit me was speeding. When we got out of our cars, 30% of my driver's side door was dented in while his bumper had hairline scratches. He told me, “I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, I couldn't stop in time, I was looking at the green light ahead.” He then attempted to try to convince me and my boyfriend that we should not make a claim because I could face a traffic citation. He also attempted to convince me to go to a specific repair shop because they would only charge me $100. He then left the scene, and I called AAA. Prior to making my statement, I asked the adjuster, Nick **, if he should get a statement from my boyfriend. He told me it was not necessary.

This was the first and last time I heard from a claims adjuster. I received a letter a few weeks later, informing me that I was at fault. I sent in pictures of my damage, the intersection, and various Google Earth images to depict how the other motorist came speeding around the corner to make the green light. Nobody ever came out to see the damage to my car, and it seemed nobody cared.

Inevitably, I decided to enhance my coverage, and I had to pay $1,000 in 3 months! Then, when my policy lapsed, my new premium was $2,536 for one car! Unbelievable! I was then told that if I bought a newer car, my policy would be an extra $200 on top of that!

I decided to switch my insurance to a local agent (Mr. **), and I couldn't be happier. My 6-month premium is only $850 and I can personally email my agent whenever I please! It's nice having a personal relationship with someone you do business with. It's also great, because as a student, I am able to pay off my other bills, instead of throwing it away for AAA's horrible coverage and service!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2010

I called out for service for a jump-start for my battery. After the guy showed, he stated that my car might still malfunction because the battery was not charging and told me to call back for a tow if I needed it. It did malfunction and left me stranded. I called back for a tow. They send back out for a jump-start guy. After talking to the second guy, he stated, "Well, we thought you needed another ‘jump’." I called back to complain and to get another tow. They came out but now they wouldn't wait for my husband to meet them. They left. I called AAA again to complain. I'm not sure why I pay for services I don't even receive. My 2-year old son was in the car, I wasted my gas and pray fully, my groceries are not sitting in it. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2010

I have had this roadside service for over 5 years. I had switched from another provider. I have 4 cars and a 22' class CRV. I was told when I switched that I did not need RV coverage because they did not consider it an RV. They called it a conversion van. So thinking I was covered for over 5 years until this Friday, I broke down, called and was towed. We thought it was fixed and left on Monday, just to break down again. So we called to get it towed home. We were left on the side of the Canyon road for over 4 hours. They told us we were not covered, then we were, so they sent a truck out. They said it was not covered and we had to pay $250.

Well, I didn't have any money so I called AAA back. They said it was now not covered and they would try to get us a courtesy tow if we call back in 3 hours. They told me to add RV coverage, so I did over the phone. I was told they would try and waive the 7 days because of this all being a misunderstanding by both sides. Transferred back to roadside and they said they couldn't do that and to just call back in 3 hours. Being disabled myself and my son is only 13, we sat there waiting. By the time to call back in to AAA, my cell phone was dead. So there we sat, overnight in the middle of a canyon, without any use of my RV and no water. A good person helped me get the RV moved today, not AAA.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2010

Sunday, August 22, 2010 at 2:25AM, I called AAA. My car's transmission went out, I told them I was on an extremely dark road in a canyon area and needed tow service immediately. I was very much afraid. With the first call, I was advised to expect a truck within the hour. Well, past the hour I waited and called again for a status update. I was advised the tow truck would be there at 5:45AM! According to their agreement/website, service would be an average of 25 minutes in a metropolitan area. The operator wrote that I was in a tunnel, very much wrong! The call was only elevated to "rush" status. After speaking with a representative today, Monday, I now understand there are two additional levels above rush.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2010

I was involved in a hit and run accident on August 19, 2010. The party that rear-ended me ran after she had rear-ended my vehicle. I called ACSC reporting what had happened and they asked me if I wanted to make a claim. I proceeded to file a claim to get my vehicle repaired (claim number xxxxxxxxx) and the representative that I spoke with said that an agent would be contacting me the following day (August 20, 2010). I did not get a call at all from the agent that was in charge of my claim so I waited until Monday (August 23, 2010) to get a hold of someone regarding my claim. I was unable to directly get a hold of the agent that was taking care of my claim so I spoke with an operator and he was finally able to connect me with her.

Once I spoke to her, she said I was able to take my car to the repair shop but a few minutes after we hung up, she called me back saying that my car was not covered. I told her that I changed my policy a few weeks prior to this conversation and that I was told that the coverage was immediately effective. She even stated that there were notes of that fact that it was on there. She stated that she had to speak with her manager regarding the issue and I have no heard back since. I have called several times and left a few messages without any resolution.

Original review: July 31, 2010

First of all today the date today is 7/29/2010. I was a insurance customer with AAA for over 10 years and had never filed a claim with this company. My insurance premium with these robbers last year was over $5,000.00. I gave them $1,000.00 down and I still had a monthly payment of $604.00 per month!

I was involved in a fender bender on 3/19/2010 when a young pregnant teenage girl was in the right lane and turned into my lane hitting my 2008 Shelby GT. I called the police and they took a report.

Witnesses' were kind enough to stop and give me phone numbers, etc. I gave all of this information to Kevin ** my claim adjuster. He assured me that they would investigate the accident and take care of my repairs quickly. He said he would send me a list of their approved body shops so I could proceed with getting my repairs. One week later, I received a police report in the mail and was the last I heard from Kevin ** for 4 Months.

Every time I called, AAA claims Kevin was never available so I got the run around and burned up my minutes on my cell phone, (no sweat for AAA because your time and personal cost is of absolutely no importance to them). They believe and treat you like you are bothering them with intelligent questions. About 10 days after the accident, I was contacted by an agent named Matthew ** who informed me he was investigating the accident. What he failed to tell me at the beginning of our conservation was that he was investigating on behalf of the teenager who was also covered by AAA. Mr. ** was very rude and kept trying to put words into my mouth.

While the accident was happening, I was doing my best to avoid this teenager from hitting me as we approached the intersection. He kept demanding distances and rates of speed, and information I did not have. When I would reply with, "I was driving and had my hands full trying to avoid this immature driver from hitting me or causing me to involve another vehicle", he would reply, "so were you, 100 feet, 200 feet from the intersection? Then he would say something like, "So you are saying you were 200 feet?" I felt like I had done something wrong and was being questioned by a storm trooper. I told him to quit putting words into my mouth and finished my conversation with him. He also said he would contact the witnesses and let me know his decision. This never happened either!

Today I contacted "my claims adjuster" Kevin and asked him again to send me a list of approved body shops and asked him who was going to pay for the rental car. All he could tell me that my policy did not have a rental car included. When I reminded him that I was not at fault, He told me that he could not tell anything about their decision regards to who was at fault because it was a conflict of interest! When I asked him if he had interviewed the teenager who hit me. He told me that he had. Then he told me that her father would not allow him to actually talk to the teenager who hit me. Their story was that I hit her in the rear of her car. He told me that if I wanted her to pay for the rental car, I would have to take her to small claims court, which I fully intend to do!

I have canceled my policy with AAA. I found a new agent who reduced my insurance premium by over 50%. My monthly payment has gone from $604.00 per month down to $175.00 a month with better coverage. I would advise all AAA customers not to believe their false claims of great customer service and low rates. They need to be sued for false advertising. What a scam!

Original review: July 17, 2010

Insurance AAA didn't want to pay me for the repairs one of their customer did on my business. I paid for the Repairs and AAA rep. want to pay the landlord for something that I paid from my pocket just to put me in a bad situation and damage my relationship with my landlord.

Claim # ***. This situation is getting me sick and I being short on the money that I'm waiting.

Original review: July 7, 2010

In a request from a receptionist, Andrea refused to provide any information to assist an AAA member with the name of a regional manager assigned to supervise employees. Andrea's unfriendly disposition as she modulated her vocal tone discourteously with an contemptuous verbal pitch was an abysmal experience. Andrea's behavior may be a potential reflection of the insignificance of members with AAA.

A telephone call to the manager, Lisa, was not answered. However, a voice recorder was offered. A negligent business environment has obviously affected AAA's Clairemont office location. One would pray AAA's insurance claims are not effectuate with similar inaptness.

Original review: June 11, 2010

On June 4, 2010, I contacted AAA about my premium. At that time, I was advised that they had overcharged me for my car insurance. Since my premium was now due, I asked if they could apply a credit to reduce the amount I had to pay. I was told they could not, because they mailed me a check two days earlier, on June 2. So, I sent in my premium. I never received the check from AAA. When I called to inquire on June 7, having not received the check, I was again told the "check was in the mail" as of June 2, but that it "must've gotten lost".

The AAA customer service representative then stated that he would issue and mail another check, and stop payment on the one mailed on June 2. I was told I would receive it by Wednesday, June 9. When I did not receive either check on June 9, as promised, I called again. This time I was told they sent it by overnight mail earlier that day, and that I would receive it the following day, June 10. However, when I did not receive any of the three alleged mailings on June 10, I called again. This time, I was told that they did not owe me any money.

When I asked if that meant they lied to me about mailing the check on June 2, mailing another one on June 6, issuing a stop-payment on the check mailed on June 2, and finally, that they again lied when they told me they "overnight-ed" the check on June 9, they could not offer any response, other than to say they investigated and determined. They did not owe me any refund. In summary, AAA repeatedly, on at least 4 separate occasions, lied to me to cover up their own incompetence. The issue is now less, whether they owed me a refund in the first place (remember: they advised me it was due), and more about how they simply fabricated this entire course of dealing, with an insured to whom they owe a fiduciary duty! The public needs to be aware of such blatant fraud, and unscrupulous conduct!

Automobile Club of Southern California Company Information