1.31/5
Based on 118 reviews that contain star ratings

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

122 Toll Brothers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Be aware of their mortgage company TBI mortgage company! I would tell you: Stay away from this liar! They are cheating and play cheap word game on you! We chose to use them for our loan because they promised us a lot of credit. Before we signed the loan, there are what they promised us: “We would need to collect a $1,000 rate fully refundable rate lock fee and a $450 appraisal fee. You will get a full credit for both on your closing disclosure.” – From Timothy ** (their loan officer) on 8/16/2018. “TBI Mortgage will be giving you a credit at closing for the $450 appraisal fee you already paid.” – From Liz ** (their loan processor) on 09/17/2018. But, guess what? At closing, the “credit” they mentioned on all their emails are just a statement saying we have paid this money. This is so cheap a word game! Be aware of this liar and stay away from them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I am the first time homeowner and booked this home at Timber Creek when no one moved in and it was still empty plots. Now initial treatments were great and the Project Manager listen to our suggestion and requests as it was custom built. After we moved in Feb '2016 we were happy and then slowly there were issues started to erupt.

First there were rat issues as all the insulation was not proper so mice get inside home and started destroying food in the pantry. After complaint they had sent pest control and then that has resulted in identification of the areas which got insulated. Next it started with one of the closet door conked out of the rail which seems to be outside the warranty period and I had to pay. Now recently our the walk-in closet light stopped working through. The bulbs might have broken but seems not that now I have to ask for some electrician.

Initially I thought there is some MCB issue but seems not so. In two years if we have so many problems on a new home, what would happen after 10 years. I will makes sure the issues get reached to the top official of the Toll and I will try to get this out so that people think twice when they book home from Toll. I am dissatisfied first time home buyer from Toll so will not recommend anyone to buy new homes or Toll homes.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

About a year ago I was asked to vacate my property in order to fix a ceiling that was coming apart and a floor that was uneven. The Toll Brothers designated person who was going to supervise the activity let the floor company leave without doing anything. When I complained I was told that I would have to pack up the area again. I said I needed help to do this because I hurt myself on the first attempt. I was ignored. I have an uneven hardwood floor and the upstairs flooring is raising so that I have difficulty closing the door. I suffer with humidity close to 90% for most of the summer. Toll Brother built me a crappy house on a piece of property that does not have proper drainage. Let the buyer beware!!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

How about those Toll Brothers? Please let me add my experience to the continuing list of frustrated homeowners. I purchased a new TB home in Michigan and I definitely can assure you this company has no business in the home building industry. I believe they should simply stick to architectural design and leave the building to experts. But, as we speak of design they fail in that area because they should indeed include design work for all housing systems plumbing, electrical, HVAC, security, etc.

If you look at my home from the bottom up you would see chaos in all those systems. Plumbing on top of heating vents (takes 3 minutes to get cold water in winter), chopped out joists where they wanted to run ducts (3) but later found out they couldn't, no advance notice of where they decided to rough in basement plumbing. Attaching all sorts of plywood supports to joists to try and eliminate floor vibration (This seems to be a definite design flaw to my model). Some of the minor things include using wood screws to mount T/P holder in bathroom, installing ceramic tile on top of baseboard mouldings.

Sadly, these guys do not understand that the most important part of this process is in Project Management and oversight. You do not need to hire expert craftsmen BUT you MUST manage the teams THEY HIRE to do their building. I worked in industry for over 35 years and know the product results are thru managed processes. I would like Toll Brothers commit to building as well as they design.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Sales process is as others claim all glitz, the problems become more apparent when you sign agreement which upon their signing commences the attorney review during which your only recourse is to reject the agreement risking a long delay in your $50k deposit coming back since it's held by the corporation Toll NJ I and not in escrow. Their condescending tone in the blanket rejection of all my attorney's requests for amendment are warning signs they'll indeed not honor any home warranty which is the only legal fallback rendered practically useless. Trust and confidence were already low due to the testimonials of locals who have Toll homes noting its high wear and low durability over 13y at an adjacent development of theirs and this process has lowered it even more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toll Brothers?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

If you buy a Toll Brothers new home, you are most likely disappointed from the quality of their contractors workmanship. I moved to a new community in Jupiter Country Club, Florida, and had watched the construction of my house in over a year period. Toll Brothers is not looking at the contract and I had to catch many mistakes in the construction alterations as were paid and agreed upon. Their supervisors are on site mostly when the house is due to close in few weeks. Then they have to deal with unhappy homeowner that find many items not done professionally or did not followed the design center choices. Some of the findings included: roof drainage problems, broken or wrong appliances, doors that were misplaced or damaged, incomplete landscaping, plumbing issues such as water heater.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Toll Brothers is greedy and off base by forcing these inept, useless communications companies down residents throats. They give contracts to these companies for 3 years and force people who they’ve already made money in to continue to line their greedy pockets through kickbacks of companies like Optimum. In the 2 years living in this community our internet and phone haven't worked multiple times. Optimum is worthless in customer service. ANYONE BUYING A TOLL BROTHERS HOME, BEWARE, THEY WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO CHOSE IN ORDER TO GET HUGE KICKBACKS from companies who aren't able to provide service you're paying for.

I believe residents of Toll communities should unite and file class action suit against Toll and Optimum. Optimum should be forced to rebate EVERY customer for downtime of internet, phone and/or TV. Toll is violating our rights. They’re not giving homeowners a choice. That’s not legal. A smart group of attorneys should file a class action against Toll for infringing on home buyers right to chose! Sue for BILLIONS, make it painful.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have built 3 homes over the years. This is my first Toll Brothers home. Let me assure you it was a wonderful, stress free experience! I was informed every week on what has been done and what is expected to be done in the following week. Great communication. This I attest to the subdivision management. Everyone showed exemplary professionalism, respect and caring from the contractor, salesperson and the team that made this experience so wonderful! The house was always open to me to walk thru and see the progress and if anything was not right. My home is quality built and was completed earlier than originally expected. I have always wanted a Toll Brothers home and I am so happy I have a Toll Brothers Home!!

Original review: July 11, 2018

STOP-DO NOT PASS GO-STAY AWAY FROM THIS BUILDER. I have a Toll Brothers home. I am in one of the neighborhoods that Toll Brothers did subpar work on stucco and brick homes. I have been trying unsuccessfully to get only schematics to replace my sprinkler system, lighting system and drainage system. The Div Exec has a gate keeper that keeps you away and the customer care team does not answer emails nor phone calls. Apparently the Sales Team does a great job selling, however after that everything is downhill.

Original review: July 1, 2018

My husband and I purchased a “Quick Delivery” home from Toll Brothers, Julington Creek, St. Johns, Florida, January 2018, and have experienced nothing but delays and empty promises! We will never buy nor recommend others to purchase from this company! See pics of our house as of July 1st... a long ways from

a July Quick Build! Buyer Beware!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I'm 73 years old & I have had 4 strokes & brain operations, the building that I live only has 1 key, there is no way a EMT or police can get into the building or my apartment if I need help. I have ask to be release from my lease, my doctors have send letters on my behalf, informing the need for help within a hour time if I'm having a stroke. That was a month ago, I have request to talk with someone from your office many time, I'm always told they have to wait for permission to release a phone number for Toll Brothers. Today I was told it will take 3 months rent to buy out of the lease. Please please someone call me about the above.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Have had problems with cabinets peeling. Now we find out person behind our property is using part of our property as a gravel driveway. We were unable to see this because of the NAOS. Toll gave us a copy of the plat that does not show that. We had to order a survey and spoke with person and now person refuses to move driveway and now we have put a claim with the title insurance because Toll gave us a deceiving copy of plat.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We built our new Toll Brothers home beginning in August 2017. The floor plans, elevations and amenities are beautiful and the home is very energy efficient. Our complaints are with materials and craftsmanship. Day one after taking possession of our new home I decided to shower in the master bath. The drain was plugged and would not slow drain after two days. Prior to this the drain had been installed wrong and had to be repositioned prior to tile being set. Something clogged the drain and it took a minimum of a half hour of very hard work spread out over a two hour period to plunge and unplug the drain which finally happened.

A low voltage addition that we paid for outside to run a TV has no active power to anything and no one knows why are where it should go because the electrical schematics are incorrect and incomplete. During construction we added a 220 volt 70 amp circuit for a hot tub outside of the master bedroom. The electrician put it on the opposite side of the house by the breakfast area. We added a TV connection in the master bedroom. It was installed but the electrician forgot to put in the plug for the TV. The garage has a tandem. There are two light cans; one for the main part of the garage and one for the tandem. The drywallers covered the can for the tandem and it took forever to get that corrected.

We ordered French doors for the master bedroom where there is a large window and an extra window on the wall where the bed goes. An exterior door is standard that we wanted replaced with a window. The framers forgot to frame for the French doors and put in the large window. They also framed the standard exterior door but did put in the extra window on the wall by the bed. Then on day two of taking possession of the home I came home to screeching sound like an alarm. It turned out to be the hot water recirculation pump.

The next thing was the irrigation system. Once the water was turned on and we tried to get the sprinklers to work, they had forgotten to put heads on the sprinklers and water shot up everywhere. Also when they laid the drip lines they had severed the line that goes under the driveway to a lone tree and again, water everywhere. While I was installing four lights in the hallway I discovered the first can was not attached to a stud. The next three were all different types. The floors in every room are not level by as much as a half inch in places so when you open a door it sticks on a high spot. Now as I write this, workers from Toll Bros are digging out around the irrigation feeder lines due to a subterranean broken pipe that has caused the ground around it to sink as well as the pavers do sink. I will say this however for Toll Bros. When you tell them there is a problem they are on it fast.

Original review: April 11, 2018

We bought a new Toll Brothers home in Parker, CO in 2013. Very big mistake! The quality of the construction was absolutely terrible. From the concrete in the driveway starting to flake as soon as the first snow, to the drywall texture looking as though it was done by children, to the electrical work constantly glitching and on and on. When we placed the order for our new home, the customer service was very good. As soon as we closed on our home, is when the customer service ended. We have called several times to Joel the manager and Carl the site manager to ask about getting some of our concerns addressed and after almost 4 years, I'm still waiting for a return call.

Buyer beware! I tell everyone I know to never consider a Toll Brothers home. Our Previous home was built by Engle homes at about 1/3 the price and that house was of far superior quality and the customer service was second to none. Toll Brothers has beautiful floor plans and a great sales department and that's how they sell homes. Don't be fooled! They build junk!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Very disappointed with the quality of the workmanship. We owed a built house prior to Toll Brothers, lived in it for 13 years with no issues whatsoever. We built our Toll Brothers home in 2013, assuming they would be much more superior quality for the price they were charging. We were completely wrong! Hardly 4.5 years living in this home, because of such a poor quality of products and contractors used, our cabinets paint started to peel off. Toll Brothers did an inspection of the home and came back telling us it's the cleaners we were using... Really!!! What a great excuse to cover up the faulty job done. I have never heard of paint peeling off the cabinets from cleaning! DO NOT BUY TOLL BROTHERS, NOT WORTH FOR THE MONEY SPENT! CHEAP QUALITY, RIP OFF!

Original review: March 28, 2018

We have decided to built a home with Toll brothers in Colleyville and biggest mistake we have made in our life’s. The whole process was a disaster with them, very poor quality, poor customer service, poor communications, and worse than all after you closed your home with them, they are done with you, they don’t care about anything else after that. I have cracks all over my house after a year, big movement in my house, I asked my builder Tyler to address the issues, after several follow ups he sent someone to fix the cracks, they didn’t finish the job properly. I have been asking Tyler the builder on Overlook subdivision to send out the guy to finish the job and he said he won’t do that anymore, it’s my responsibility to fix the cracks. Very unsatisfied and I will never build a home with Toll brothers. If you want a good customer service with a great quality they are not the one you should go with to build your dream home.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

We think it’s important to tell you our story and possibly leverage any assistance to make sure that no other family has to be subjected to any experience similar to ours. We were excited to build a new semi-custom home in Parker, CO and engaged working with Toll Brothers to make our dreams come true. Unfortunately, we have been encountering issues ranging from safety matters and subpar workmanship, to potential fraud. To say that the experience has been frustrating would put it mildly. The sheer number and the complexity of problems found in our home is astounding. We wanted to get an independent opinion. After hiring a private inspector, we were told that this is by far the worst case he’s seen with Toll Brothers.

Efforts to remedy the issues with the builder have been met with resistance. For example, after my children complained of headaches it was found that there was a gas leak in the attic. The Project Manager at Toll Brothers quaintly dismissed our concerns because it was just a “small gas leak.” The Vice President and the Project Manager of Toll Brothers not so dismissive when the inspector pointed out that a small gas leak caused a home to explode. Aside for other safety issues, we are faced with an endless list of items needing to be fixed. This includes front and back porches that needs to be replaced, a window well that needed to be replaced, siding and roofing repairs, electrical repairs, plumbing repairs, and the list goes on and on. The poor workmanship is beyond anything we would expect for a home in this price range.

Lastly, we paid for all interior walls to be insulated, after moving in we noted that it was hot and noise traveled. Toll Brothers agreed to install a through vent to help circulate air in the office. During the installation, it showed no insulation in the wall. After numerous attempts, Toll Brothers finally agreed to have their people come out and prove to us that they did insulate the walls as contractually stipulated. As you can expect, drilling into the walls showed that the walls were not insulated. Leading up to the testing, Toll Brothers asserted that their inspector distinctly recalled that the interior walls were insulated. If we took their attestations at face value, like most reasonable homeowners would probably do, we would be deprived of this benefit.

To date, Toll Brothers has not appropriately identified a solution. It really makes us wonder what controls are in place to ensure buyers are in fact getting the property they paid for. Sadly, researching Better Business Bureau has identified that we are not the only ones to experience very significant issues with this builder. It’s likely as a buyer you will not see much of any bad content via the internet as the builder works hard to have posting removed. For example we posted Buyer Beware postings on Facebook & LinkedIn only see them removed with a 24 hour time frame.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

This is my second Toll Brothers home. Mistake I made was thinking they were still quality which is why I purchased again. My Townhouse Condo is poorly constructed even with level 4 finishes, cheap windows, hardwoods have been replaced several times, drywall is cracking, seams coming apart literally, damaged millwork that was puttied over but now that it's dried out has fallen out, old paint used on staircase nose still sticky after 10 months, tiles cracking have been replaced twice, warped truss in ceiling, frame bent on stove...the list doesn't stop.

They tout themselves as energy efficient. I'd describe it more as energy inefficient, no dampers for airflow control. The project manager told me my unit doesn't have dampers, close the vents and stop bothering them, I'm now due for my 11 month punch out, I've had issues with my HVAC and hot water heater but they won't set up the appointment. I've been waiting for 2 weeks. Bottom line is think carefully before purchasing a Toll Brothers home, if you have to have one hire an inspector of your own. It's worth the $600. I wish I had.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Bought a second home by Toll Brothers at Escena, Palm Springs. Terrible, awful, bad experience. The customer service is horrible! The finish quality is very bad and the customer service is non-existent. Every excuse in the world and nothing but incompetence. Once they have your money, good luck. The worst experience ever. A brand new home and I had to repaint entirely because the paint quality is so poor. That is just an example, the list goes on...

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

This was probably the worst personal mistake I ever made. The workmanship and the repairs and layout of the community (Rivington @ Danbury CT) were the worst. To start. We were lied to about what views we would have from our unit by salesperson (we had NONE). The entry door to the garage was not even up to code (32" wide vs 36" width) hence any exit and entry to home was a contortion show especially w/ groceries! The master bath was requested built without a bathtub so they made the shower stall HUGE bigger than the size of the bathtub leaving no room for cabinets or toilet. The stair risers should be made of clear pine BUT not Toll oh no. They used knotted pine so the knots showed even through the paint. We were also promised a refrigerator enclosure and under cabinet molding and paid extra but it wasn't there.

When I registered complaint it took 5 calls and denials from Matt (Toll rep) saying it was there even after sending pics showing it wasn't. We finally got 900 back and the molding got installed. Another chase.. And it took 5 months! The community pool area can seat maybe 70 people at best then they go & remove all umbrellas. Now where do we sit... And this community when finished is going to be over 900 families? Really just poor logistics/planning all around so I sold it and moved back to a house. There are more things here that are even worse. If you thought they would be quality organization NOT... DO NOT BUY FROM TOLL! You will regret it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I am at a loss for words. Toll Brothers has given every excuse there is as to why our house is below average. Except the Russians did it. Our savings went into OUR perfect home. Yes they are "luxury" home, but every home can be a luxury home when you pay for every little upgrade. And trust me, everything is an upgrade. We were even charged $1,500.00 for adding to our blueprints because they said it would be a lot of work to change the structural blueprints. Had nothing to do with that??? Then they forgot to make the change. Had to remind them. Still, upgrade has not been done. But they got their $1,500.00. They forgot to do half the upgrades we paid for. The response is, “No problem, we can fix that.” That is nice but when? They are too busy throwing up houses that they cannot focus on one.

The workmanship is horrible!! We paid for upgrade paint. Seriously, if you stick painter’s tape on the wall, it will pull the paint off to the joint compound. In two of our bathrooms, if you sit on the toilet, you sit on the toilet paper and holder. Who puts it that close. They said they would remove them but can see the patchwork on the side of the vanity, and we have to pay for the two new standing tissue holders. Order special flat rock tile for the master shower. They mixed match the colors. Either no one checked the work being done or thought we wouldn't notice the color change. Lost 1 ft width across the upstairs bedroom and bath. Again, another excuse which made no sense. No refund or compensation even though we were told the base price is per foot.

They arrange these weekly calls and certain meetings so everyone is on the same page. Does not matter. Everything we said, they had an excuse, said it would be done, thought it was done, was in the process of being done, etc. NO, months and months of reminding them, "THIS IS WHAT WE ORDERED, YOU WROTE DOWN, AND WE PAID FOR." We got so tired of the excuses and lies, we just let the Monday calls go to the answering machine. Did not feel like dealing with it. Plus, we have it on our answering machine. That still doesn't help. I try to be nice so this is my vent. Every day we find something new wrong. We have told everyone to stay away from a Toll Brothers Homes. Waiting now for them to get back to us about our 30 day repair. They pick and choose what they want to compare and say it is like the model. Only if it benefits them. Never again!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Toll Brothers has represented themselves as a quality home builder. Our experience has been awful! The workmanship has been extremely disappointing and the service to correct problems has been equally dismal. We had a new home built which cost well above $800,000. To date we have had our hardwood floors replaced three times. We had the fireplace repaired three times. There were roof and gutter repairs that had to be done as water may have leaked into the stonework. They also had to redo some landscaping as the dirt slopes toward the house which apparently was against code. The condensation pump is not working either.

The house was completed June of 2015 but we did not move in until end of 2016. Therefore there was little use of the systems or house. For the cost of the house one would think they would want to address some of the recent issues such as the condensation pump, but apparently their warranties only last a year. Doesn't seem to be commensurate with the so called quality they reference. By the way we hear horror stories from neighbors as well. This does not seem to be an isolated incident but something more systemic related to the inferior workmanship. We would never consider working with Toll Brothers again!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We love our home in Robertson Ranch but the HOA is so poorly run that I can’t recommend living here. Toll Brothers has controlled for past year and will for another year and it’s so aggravating that we may move elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I purchased this home new two and a half years ago and I am still dealing with less than industry standards workmanship. The tankless hot water heater stopped making hot water after six months. It took numerous phone calls to get it resolved and yet it continues to break down every six months. Every aspect of the house shows poor workmanship that you would find in less expensive house. Bottom line is that a Toll Brothers home is not the quality home they advertise it to be. Save your time and money and look somewhere else for your investment.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

1 1/2 years after moving into my new home I'm am still dealing with warranty work. Building the house with Toll was very unpleasant. Most of the contractors can't speak English, don't keep appointments or show up not prepared to do the job they came for. I will never deal with Toll Brothers again and certainly do not recommend building a home with them. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Toll Bros (Reno NV) Can Lights - We recently purchased our first home from Toll Brothers, we were very excited until the latest walk of the house last Saturday. We found quite a lot of issue during the walk, we compiled a list of concerns and notified the sales manager. One of the major one is that kitchen can lights are not centered to the island, all 6 lights are shifted over about 1.5 feet. We compared it to the model home and those can lights are centered on the island. We were given a diagram on where the lights would be for our house and shows to be centered, but the physical installation is not even close. Other than that, we have a wavy wall, sliding door handles offset etc. Do you guys also have similar issue?

Updated on 02/26/2018: We finally got the keys and moved in mid of Dec 2017. During the whole process from viewing the model home over and over again, going thru the contract and option list, signing the contract, traveling back and forth 8 hours to see the progress, having the final walk thru, closing escrow, moving in, we have built up mixed feelings, both high and low.

Reliability: We have never seen the sales manager again after we signed the contract, she didn't showed up at any of the walk thru or meeting, not even showed up when we closed escrow. Typical salespeople, walk away after commission is in the pocket? We haven't heard from the construction manager about punch list follow up action, we decided to put those items on the warranty service on their system - https://mytollhome.tollbrothersinc.com. Very soon after our submission, we noticed that the warranty service status was flipped closed and completed. Warranty manager called us and told us, "Those are part of the quality control before handover, construction manager is the one you should get back to." Buck passing? Who should be responsible?

Responsiveness and efficiency: All parties respond very slow, sometimes we don't even get a reply. Slow or not responsible? Construction manager scheduled to go thru the punch list with us few times. What is the point to come over and look at the same items again and again, we need them to fix it, not to just look.
    Communication: Missed/extra options in the house which we paid or didn't paid for. Lack of communication between sales and construction parties? Sales manager set a date for us to do final walk thru with construction manager, we arrived 15mins early at our house, construction manager passed by, we said hi and asked him about the walk thru, he told us "Final walk thru is not today." Then we walked to the sales office, no one was there, there was just

a temporary staff who doesn't know anything. We emailed the sales manager, she didn't reply, not even an apology.

We lived in the Bay Area, it's approx. 8 hours drive back and forth; we had no choice but to extend our stay at hotel because of their communication problem. TB changed the colour and material of the roof, but we were not informed at all. Sales manager response was, "We did have a colour scheme change and this was one where all of our colour scheme got the same as yours." Other owners might not care about colour and material change, but we do, we chose every single option/colour/layout based on those physical model homes and drawings they provided.

Professionalism: Construction workers didn't use shoe socks, they walked from construction site to our floor and carpet, they left small rocks and dirt, and we found that our floor is scratched. Are they required to use shoe socks when they need to go to a house which was already delivered to owners? Construction workers had not covered the floor, counter etc, when they carried out the paint job. Is it very basic, common thing to know? How can they not do that Construction workers wear random clothes/hoodies, we can't recognise who are TB people. There was a young guy, he wore a hoodies with his hood up, shook our door early at 7 am. If someone claims that he's here to follow up some repair, how can we identify?

EXTREMELY bad craftsmanship and ridiculous mistakes: A lot of scratches, damages on doors and cabinets. Sliding door is not aligned. Outlets on the same wall are not aligned. Walls are wavy, not straight. Gaps between baseboard and floor. Gaps between wall and stairs. Paint doesn't match on same walls. Windows not straight. Cabinet shelf peeling. Flooring staples appear on the floor. Hardwood peeling. Door crooked. Screen door missing. Upside down door handle. Different paint texture on same door... and much more.

It's been nearly 2 months, major items are still pending (paint, carpet, hardwood... etc.) We can't open our new furniture (couch, TV, bed, dining table etc). Last two months, we have been using air bed, sitting on the floor, eating on the counter. We officially moved in, but we are not "living" and "enjoying" the house

yet. It's also very annoying because you never know when they would like to come over again, seems like they are not going to fix everything at once. If you have to work, do you trust them and leave them your keys? If you work from home, their visit would cause a lot of inconvenience, they would ring your bell anytime.

We have been talking about one of the light switch location, we think it's on the wrong side of the wall but we didn't find out. Two days ago, we came across some pics of our neighbours' house (same model), we found that their switch is on the other side of the wall which makes totally sense, we double checked with schematic diagram, so we emailed the construction manager and requested his follow up, he answered us, "You'll notice a disclaimer at the bottom left corner of your electrical plans that explains the plans are specific for electrical upgrades only, standards are for reference only and subject to change. If you would like to turn the switch around so that it is inside the closet you are more than welcome to hire an electrician to do so. TB will not be covering it."

It reminds me of our can lights, we got same answer from sales manager, "Here are photos of all of our floor plans with can lights in the same location as yours. There are a lot of things we can move and do in our model homes because they are models, and we take extra steps for things like this. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of the diagram that states..." Again, perhaps other owners might not care about any details, it doesn't mean we do not care. As a consumer, we have the right to be informed, right to choose, right to be heard. With Toll Brothers, you will not get what you see in their model homes. Please read all the reviews by TB homeowners, think carefully if you really want to spend money on Toll Brothers LUXURY Homes (TB homes are way below standard quality), if we could give minus stars, it would be -10.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

We are in the process of building a home. 5 upgrades we paid for were never included in the home. After numerous complaints they fixed most of them. They missed glass shower windows, door and electrical was in the wrong spot. We are in the process of finishing and we have not had the home inspected yet I'm sure we will find more problems. They then told us our budget for lighting would only cover outside lighting so we had to pay them 3 thousand dollars extra. The sales women lied when we asked about the extra money and upgrades missing. They are disorganized and dishonest. Worst experience of my life. Oh they put the wrong tile in the second floor 2 upstairs bathrooms.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We just signed our new condo at Metro Crossing, Fremont Toll Brothers, which will be available in fall 2018. Amazing experience with the sales office. Everything online and just like Tesla, very simple and easy to understand. Awesome location and pricing is unbelievable, Hoping the delivered house meets our expectation.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I own a Toll Brothers home (single) that is approximately 22 years old (purchased by us when it was 17 years old), in the suburbs of Philadelphia. We are the 4th or 5th owners, so our experience is not that of a new construction home buyer, but I still think it’s indicative of what you can expect from a Toll Brothers home. This is the best way to describe everything we’ve noticed in the last 5 years, as we’ve extensively remodeled and updated the property. I realize some of these things may have “self-corrected” by now due to changes in building codes and construction practices:

At least 75% of the homes in our development had to get new roofs and skylights within 15 years due to shoddy materials and installation. Concrete surfaces, including garage and basement floors, have been peeling up / flaking off due to improper finishing / curing. The framing on our almost 4000 sf home is constructed out of 2x4s, with a foil/cardboard (Thermo-Ply) sheathing instead of plywood. You can basically cut a hole in the siding of the house and enter the home with as little as a razor blade. When getting new siding installed large sections of our home’s exterior were not even sealed with Tyvek / house wrap. It was siding, Thermo-Ply, insulation, and then drywall from the outside in.

During remodeling, a portion of our kitchen wall, which was only about 10 feet long, was out of plumb by about 10 inches. Our contractor had to build out a “false wall” to ensure the new cabinets could be mounted properly in a straight line. During bathroom remodeling, we found folded up pieces of newspaper / cardboard wedged in between drywall and studs, presumably to account for the wall being un-level / out of plumb.

During remodeling, trash, cigarette butts, food wrappers, discarded construction materials, etc., were all found in walls, floors, etc. HVAC ductwork was so shoddily installed that the static pressure in the vents was about 60% of the system’s capacity. The HVAC system was undersized for the home from the day it was installed. Bathroom exhaust fans were not vented to the outside of the home, but rather just into the attic causing moisture / mold problems. There’s not one wall in the home that doesn’t have nail pops or drywall tape pops. Carpet is bunched up in the middle of the room due to improper installation. Countless (COUNTLESS) homes in our area built by Toll with stucco exteriors have had problems. So much so that homes with all stucco basically have a built-in discount because no one wants to spend the money to remediate the problems. The list goes on.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that new Toll Brother’s homes haven’t really appreciated in value in the last 10-15 years around us. Home purchased for $850K ago are selling today for $100K-150K less, but I’m not sure if that’s due to Toll’s reputation or the ever increasing property taxes around here. As my neighbor put it, “Toll is good at building big homes with designs / amenities people like to look at, and selling the heck out of them. That’s about it.” And that’s just what it is… we came from a smaller townhome and thought this would be our “dream home” because it was so big. I’m just glad we only paid in the low $500’s for our home and let the previous owner lose almost $100K selling it to us. I can’t imagine giving this Company $800-$1.5M like some of their new monstrosities are selling for. Needless to say, as soon as our kids are done grade school we'll be moving... and not into another Toll home.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The underwriting process is ridiculous. This is the 5th home I've purchased and the unnecessary amount of information requested by underwriting is beyond procedure. They keep requesting documents and we're set to close in a few weeks. Do not put yourself through this!

Toll Brothers Company Information