1.29/5
  • 1 star
Based on 99 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Toll Brothers

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

103 Toll Brothers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Bought a second home by Toll Brothers at Escena, Palm Springs. Terrible, awful, bad experience. The customer service is horrible! The finish quality is very bad and the customer service is non-existent. Every excuse in the world and nothing but incompetence. Once they have your money, good luck. The worst experience ever. A brand new home and I had to repaint entirely because the paint quality is so poor. That is just an example, the list goes on...

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I am at a loss for words. Toll Brothers has given every excuse there is as to why our house is below average. Except the Russians did it. Our savings went into OUR perfect home. Yes they are "luxury" home, but every home can be a luxury home when you pay for every little upgrade. And trust me, everything is an upgrade. We were even charged $1,500.00 for adding to our blueprints because they said it would be a lot of work to change the structural blueprints. Had nothing to do with that??? Then they forgot to make the change. Had to remind them. Still, upgrade has not been done. But they got their $1,500.00. They forgot to do half the upgrades we paid for. The response is, “No problem, we can fix that.” That is nice but when? They are too busy throwing up houses that they cannot focus on one.

The workmanship is horrible!! We paid for upgrade paint. Seriously, if you stick painter’s tape on the wall, it will pull the paint off to the joint compound. In two of our bathrooms, if you sit on the toilet, you sit on the toilet paper and holder. Who puts it that close. They said they would remove them but can see the patchwork on the side of the vanity, and we have to pay for the two new standing tissue holders. Order special flat rock tile for the master shower. They mixed match the colors. Either no one checked the work being done or thought we wouldn't notice the color change. Lost 1 ft width across the upstairs bedroom and bath. Again, another excuse which made no sense. No refund or compensation even though we were told the base price is per foot.

They arrange these weekly calls and certain meetings so everyone is on the same page. Does not matter. Everything we said, they had an excuse, said it would be done, thought it was done, was in the process of being done, etc. NO, months and months of reminding them, "THIS IS WHAT WE ORDERED, YOU WROTE DOWN, AND WE PAID FOR." We got so tired of the excuses and lies, we just let the Monday calls go to the answering machine. Did not feel like dealing with it. Plus, we have it on our answering machine. That still doesn't help. I try to be nice so this is my vent. Every day we find something new wrong. We have told everyone to stay away from a Toll Brothers Homes. Waiting now for them to get back to us about our 30 day repair. They pick and choose what they want to compare and say it is like the model. Only if it benefits them. Never again!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Toll Brothers has represented themselves as a quality home builder. Our experience has been awful! The workmanship has been extremely disappointing and the service to correct problems has been equally dismal. We had a new home built which cost well above $800,000. To date we have had our hardwood floors replaced three times. We had the fireplace repaired three times. There were roof and gutter repairs that had to be done as water may have leaked into the stonework. They also had to redo some landscaping as the dirt slopes toward the house which apparently was against code. The condensation pump is not working either.

The house was completed June of 2015 but we did not move in until end of 2016. Therefore there was little use of the systems or house. For the cost of the house one would think they would want to address some of the recent issues such as the condensation pump, but apparently their warranties only last a year. Doesn't seem to be commensurate with the so called quality they reference. By the way we hear horror stories from neighbors as well. This does not seem to be an isolated incident but something more systemic related to the inferior workmanship. We would never consider working with Toll Brothers again!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We love our home in Robertson Ranch but the HOA is so poorly run that I can’t recommend living here. Toll Brothers has controlled for past year and will for another year and it’s so aggravating that we may move elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I purchased this home new two and a half years ago and I am still dealing with less than industry standards workmanship. The tankless hot water heater stopped making hot water after six months. It took numerous phone calls to get it resolved and yet it continues to break down every six months. Every aspect of the house shows poor workmanship that you would find in less expensive house. Bottom line is that a Toll Brothers home is not the quality home they advertise it to be. Save your time and money and look somewhere else for your investment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toll Brothers?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

1 1/2 years after moving into my new home I'm am still dealing with warranty work. Building the house with Toll was very unpleasant. Most of the contractors can't speak English, don't keep appointments or show up not prepared to do the job they came for. I will never deal with Toll Brothers again and certainly do not recommend building a home with them. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Toll Bros (Reno NV) Can Lights - We recently purchased our first home from Toll Brothers, we were very excited until the latest walk of the house last Saturday. We found quite a lot of issue during the walk, we compiled a list of concerns and notified the sales manager. One of the major one is that kitchen can lights are not centered to the island, all 6 lights are shifted over about 1.5 feet. We compared it to the model home and those can lights are centered on the island. We were given a diagram on where the lights would be for our house and shows to be centered, but the physical installation is not even close. Other than that, we have a wavy wall, sliding door handles offset etc. Do you guys also have similar issue?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

We are in the process of building a home. 5 upgrades we paid for were never included in the home. After numerous complaints they fixed most of them. They missed glass shower windows, door and electrical was in the wrong spot. We are in the process of finishing and we have not had the home inspected yet I'm sure we will find more problems. They then told us our budget for lighting would only cover outside lighting so we had to pay them 3 thousand dollars extra. The sales women lied when we asked about the extra money and upgrades missing. They are disorganized and dishonest. Worst experience of my life. Oh they put the wrong tile in the second floor 2 upstairs bathrooms.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We just signed our new condo at Metro Crossing, Fremont Toll Brothers, which will be available in fall 2018. Amazing experience with the sales office. Everything online and just like Tesla, very simple and easy to understand. Awesome location and pricing is unbelievable, Hoping the delivered house meets our expectation.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I own a Toll Brothers home (single) that is approximately 22 years old (purchased by us when it was 17 years old), in the suburbs of Philadelphia. We are the 4th or 5th owners, so our experience is not that of a new construction home buyer, but I still think it’s indicative of what you can expect from a Toll Brothers home. This is the best way to describe everything we’ve noticed in the last 5 years, as we’ve extensively remodeled and updated the property. I realize some of these things may have “self-corrected” by now due to changes in building codes and construction practices:

At least 75% of the homes in our development had to get new roofs and skylights within 15 years due to shoddy materials and installation. Concrete surfaces, including garage and basement floors, have been peeling up / flaking off due to improper finishing / curing. The framing on our almost 4000 sf home is constructed out of 2x4s, with a foil/cardboard (Thermo-Ply) sheathing instead of plywood. You can basically cut a hole in the siding of the house and enter the home with as little as a razor blade. When getting new siding installed large sections of our home’s exterior were not even sealed with Tyvek / house wrap. It was siding, Thermo-Ply, insulation, and then drywall from the outside in.

During remodeling, a portion of our kitchen wall, which was only about 10 feet long, was out of plumb by about 10 inches. Our contractor had to build out a “false wall” to ensure the new cabinets could be mounted properly in a straight line. During bathroom remodeling, we found folded up pieces of newspaper / cardboard wedged in between drywall and studs, presumably to account for the wall being un-level / out of plumb.

During remodeling, trash, cigarette butts, food wrappers, discarded construction materials, etc., were all found in walls, floors, etc. HVAC ductwork was so shoddily installed that the static pressure in the vents was about 60% of the system’s capacity. The HVAC system was undersized for the home from the day it was installed. Bathroom exhaust fans were not vented to the outside of the home, but rather just into the attic causing moisture / mold problems. There’s not one wall in the home that doesn’t have nail pops or drywall tape pops. Carpet is bunched up in the middle of the room due to improper installation. Countless (COUNTLESS) homes in our area built by Toll with stucco exteriors have had problems. So much so that homes with all stucco basically have a built-in discount because no one wants to spend the money to remediate the problems. The list goes on.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that new Toll Brother’s homes haven’t really appreciated in value in the last 10-15 years around us. Home purchased for $850K ago are selling today for $100K-150K less, but I’m not sure if that’s due to Toll’s reputation or the ever increasing property taxes around here. As my neighbor put it, “Toll is good at building big homes with designs / amenities people like to look at, and selling the heck out of them. That’s about it.” And that’s just what it is… we came from a smaller townhome and thought this would be our “dream home” because it was so big. I’m just glad we only paid in the low $500’s for our home and let the previous owner lose almost $100K selling it to us. I can’t imagine giving this Company $800-$1.5M like some of their new monstrosities are selling for. Needless to say, as soon as our kids are done grade school we'll be moving... and not into another Toll home.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The underwriting process is ridiculous. This is the 5th home I've purchased and the unnecessary amount of information requested by underwriting is beyond procedure. They keep requesting documents and we're set to close in a few weeks. Do not put yourself through this!

Original review: June 29, 2017

We have been having bad experiences with TOLL BROTHERS since we moved in Jan 2016 that we paid at high $400k for. First the current issue we are having is the warranty. Rejected our claim. The reason is we have not contact them before we removed the bird nest from our roof. So what happen is the gutter in front of our home has two bird nests and the problem is we have family member including me got bit by the bird mites last year in summer and this year again (the pest company collected and send the result back as it is bird mites).

So we contact the animal control to removed it and do whatever to prevent it to come back then the day they came to remove they find out that it was a 6"x6" holes on both side due to unfinished construction which we couldn't believe it. I don't understand this part when you purchase a home how much you can inspect your house. Do I need to get 40 feet ladder to climb over my roof to see if there is a hole? So we walked through the neighbor. Apparently other lot has that part finished even some built in different shape except my lot. Our house and one of our neighbor that has same shape of roof that unfinished.

After that day we have submitted all pictures and proof paper we got from animal control and pest company to TOLL BROTHERS WARRANTY that they are responsible on cost and what we got is REJECTED. Why do even have it on first place?? I understand that we should have been contact you first but if we didn't have animal control came with 40 feet tall ladder climbed up there how do we supposed to know there is a hole???????

After interaction with their customer service rep for the warranty as I dispute it with the warranty holders, I was told that they would offer to pay me $125 in reimbursement for the work that had to be completed on the front of the house to get rid of the birds and bug problem. After taking a condescending tone through her e-mail the representative Kim then began to try and dismiss the issues at hand with that either the wind damaged it and created the holes or that the birds forced their way into it. I explained to her there are other homes of our model that face the same direction as we do, how is that they don’t have any wind damage that even comes close to our issues? Also if the birds were forcing their way in, there would be signs of pecking and destruction around the holes. I also voiced concern for the potential water damage that could have been caused by this unfinished construction, but that was quickly dismissed.

In the end I told her to continue to process the disputed claim and will try and remediate it with the owning company. Her final remarks were that since I have no pictures of the conditions of the house before the contractor did work it apparently hurts my ability to make an argument for unfinished construction. I will never buy Toll Brothers property again and I would highly encourage others to stay away, there are other house builders in the area that will be better for you.

Now I started painting the house and has been curious everywhere I vacuum the house, there are always white pile dust which I can get it every day. I find out after I did scrubbing on the wall and yes it was the paint on the wall that can fall off as dust so easily.

Yes, 11 month warranty is totally not worth any. We are the one who has to call them to schedule and it took us about 2 months after we tried to get someone to come look at it because the guy who taking care of this zone he is on vacation. We bought the house in begin of Jan 2016 they finally came and fix pop nails on end of March 2017. First day is the people come do dry wall right after they left we found missing spot so we call right back in to the guy who came inspected leaving voicemail and voicemail and voicemail never once return the phone call. So any spot that missed never get fix. Until today we still have spot that they didn't cover it with paint.

On the day we decided to purchase a home I had ask the sale to get white brick she said they don't do it anymore now all going to be red brick I was disappointed but if so then I am okay. After we moved in I left the country for a couple months and when I came back my neighbor lot that when I moved in was not even have concrete ground yet got a white brick?? And now there are another lot under construction that has a white brick. I totally don't get it.

Also we are so excited that finally we get the clubhouse inside our neighborhood for walking distance now they are open but instead of gym they put empty room for yoga I guess. There is nobody using it maybe some but I barely see anybody in that room working out... If you’re going to provided class all day all week okay make sense but you are not so why there is empty room in there?? For people to renting it for party?? Another disappointment.

I understood Gaurav as I am sure that we're living in the same neighbor every time I walk past that corner I knew that you all must be very pissed that they decided to use parking in front of your house for condo. I am with you on this and cross my finger for you that somehow TOLL BROTHERS realize that while trying to make sale they also need to make buyer satisfy with the product both before and after.

They are so many issue with the house more as we have leak from washer, the floor and now we even have more nail pops throughout the house that they would not even come and fix or even take care of it. They will do everything in their power to make sure that you do not get any work completed after you purchase the home. Once you close, it is now your problem and they will ignore your requests until you are a couple weeks away from your deadlines for your 11 month warranty to only say that you didn't give them enough time to correct issues.

Again would advise in another builder in the area!

Original review: June 9, 2017

I was promised beautiful hardwood floors. I paid several thousand dollars extra to get hardwood floors on both floors of my home. The pictures show what I got with pieces of sock and mop stuck to it. All I want to do is walk on my floors. I could not be less satisfied with the floors or how Toll Brothers has handled the entire situation. So now I will be spending thousands more to fix the floors. Shame on you Toll Brothers.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I truly wish we had done more research on Toll Brothers and read more of these reviews prior to purchasing our lot in Massachusetts. To say that we are disappointed, frustrated and upset would be an understatement. The reason we did purchase with them is that land by/around the Boston area is very hard to come by so we felt that given the cost of the land and the town that we wanted to be in, this would be the best option. Thankfully we love the town and our neighbors but the entire process even a year later has been incredibly frustrating, incompetent and just a true lack of transparency.

Dealing with the sales manager was like dealing with a used car salesperson and yes that is meant with all the offensive and irritating emotions that that stereotype is supposed to conjure up. She was very evasive, broad and overly not helpful. In the end, we have realized that we were basically lied to but the company line is that 'we reserve the right to change and that is quoted in your closing document'. However, when you are making the purchase decision, you are assessing ALL of the information possible and what the sales manager is telling you, you are expecting to be truthful. It is not.

When we did decide to purchase, we were asked (as is company policy) to pick ALL of our structural elements when you put the deposit down on your lot (which was 6 months before they even broke ground and a almost a year before close). We were sent home with 'homework' to understand what was structural and what we wanted to include.

When we met with said sales manager to make our decisions, she started asking us about options that were not listed as structural but actually were, i.e., our tub. When we stated this error and that we needed more time to re-assess, we were told it was an oversight on their part and no, we could not reschedule this meeting. I literally burst into tears! What?! We were dropping well over $1M and did not have time to fully assess what was structural and what was not. When we asked to speak to her manager, we were told no, we could walk away from the lot since they had a waiting list.

We should have taken this as a sign but we didn't as we did really want this lot, in this town and wanted to build so we made some gut decisions, not really identifying the implications. (And by the way, our tub is fine but way too small for the space.) The same time crunch was pressed upon us when selecting interior design. They also do not tell you anywhere what is 'included' and what the cost of the upgrades were. So again, when you are trying to make structural decisions, you have no clue what your interior will cost. All we were told was that we should make a budget. Yes, thank you, I'm buying a $1M house, I understand how a budget works, that was not my question. My question was for you to provide me with more information so I could make an educated, well-informed decision.

We were forced to pick all of the interior work (for a 5,000 square foot house, that is a lot!) in a 2 month time window and again, no changes were allowed. If you are like me and have children (I was also pregnant) and work full time as does your spouse, this is very stressful and they are not helpful. They told us to go look at model homes, which we did. When we came back and asked about features that the model home showed, like light fixtures, built-ins, flooring, landscaping, etc., we were told that these were selected outside of Toll based on their design team. Again, what?!?! Isn't that false advertising? Why are we looking at a home with a minimum amount of Toll features, even upgrades weren't featured. We said we would pay for them and they said they weren't even an option.

We got into multiple disputes about our actual lot. We were told one thing by said sales manager and project manager during the deposit and then everyone had amnesia. They also rotated Project Managers very quickly, we had 4 within a year and each one feigned ignorance about our situation, since 'they weren't here'. I understand if you want to rotate people (though not at that frequency but regardless) then they should have a process for communicating information. We continually asked to speak to someone higher and we were told no. Finally, our lawyer, sent a letter to HQ and unfortunately, that is when we finally got action but it honestly shouldn't come to that point.

Our house was delayed multiple times and for weeks and finally months. It was like being at the airport and your flight keeps getting delayed for 30 minutes for 6 hours, it was that frustrating. We would have a closing date, it would be pushed out a week and it continued for about 3 months. Finally, we had a closing date that we were holding them to or holding money (again, it shouldn't come to that point but it did). So they were actually doing the landscaping on our closing date and did such a rush job it is embarrassing.

We did have a punch list post the close date and they were actively checking items off for about 2-3 months and then they went radio silent. We are in our 11 month and like others, have not been contacted about our 11 month check-in despite multiple emails, phone calls and in person chats with the managers on site. Our yard still needs to be re-graded, front porch fixed, drywall re-done, etc.

They do subcontract out the work, like most General Managers and some contractors are OK and some are awful, no one was great. We had a closet system company come in after the fact since they just provide wire racking and Toll's upgrade options are of IKEA quality at Tiffany prices and he commented that in the undercurrent of the contractor world, the good guys won't work for them since they pay and treat people so poorly. I can't say I'm surprised. Our drywall and landscaping appear to be done by either amateurs or my mother (who doesn't know what a hammer or a shovel is), hard to say. One would think that again for a minimum of $1M serious contractors would be employed.

Overall, our house is fine, not amazing but fine. At the same time, my sister used a private builder and built a house (albeit smaller but by no means small) and it is amazing. I would say that in true American style (and I'm proud to be an American) this is pure quantity over quality in a cloak of disguise of consumer beware. A massively disappointing experience that I do not wish on anyone.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Promise a lot and deliver the bare minimum, if that. We bought a townhouse for mid-$400s in Ashburn as we wanted more space and didn't want to have to deal with parking issues in other areas. Everything during the purchase process went well and we don't have any issues with that. But Toll seems to have a "Bait and Switch" policy. We, along with all our neighbors, feel cheated as they withheld a lot of important facts from us before we purchase our home. My two primary concerns are the 11 months inspection and the parking in front of our homes. Their warranty representatives are full of it and do not deliver on their promises. We were told that they were going to schedule follow-up work as their employees did a shoddy job the first time around they came to fix the 11 month problems. The representative closed our tickets without informing us and when we inquired, they told us he has left the company. Here is the bigger issue:

On 05/31/2017, we were surprised to see that builder or the condo association put up a second sign on what seems to our part of property suggesting that the parking is reserved for the condo owners only. The first sign was put a few months back and a neighbor was able to get the numbered condo parking removed but it seems the builder and/or the condo homeowner association are after our parking again. This change doesn't just cause inconvenience for us but affects us negatively in many other ways.

Our property values will be negatively affected as the potential homeowners will see this as an inconvenience. Restricting us from parking in front of our houses is a big issue for all of us. Who asks their guests to park in the garage and enter the house from the backside of the house. Most of us have young kids and having the front parking makes us feel safe as we don't have to cross any streets to put them in the car. We have to maintain the fronts of our houses, water the grass and keep it looking pretty for the neighborhood. Condos owners aren't going to water the grass or remove the snow in winters. Essentially we will have to clean the front of our homes for someone else to use it while we can't. The only time we get to use it is when someone leaves a sales flier or something at our door.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Are you ready to get a big surprise when you spent time and was ready to move forward? Here is our experience with Toll. It is just for everyone's reference getting to know a big builder. We hope that new home hunters would be informed as we are among them and certainly did not want our time wasted with disappointment.

We visited Toll sales office in SE Michigan several times. The sales lady was friendly and warm showing us model home and introducing various features of the model house which was very nicely built with great design. We were told that the house should be built and closed in about 8 month and assured us that on-time delivery is not a problem. They even worked to arrange us a nice "sign-in bonus". So things looked good, and we were preparing for the agreement signing. Given that Toll has good publicity due possibly to their aggressive advertisement, we were happy that we came across a good builder. And that's when the big surprise came in. As the signing moment came, we were told that everything was all set as discussed so it will be effortless to get things done. Then these were what shocked us in the agreement they prepared for us:

Home delivery time: instead of 8 months of delivery, it will be "completed normally within 2 years, plus any extended time period deemed necessary judged by the Seller (Toll), with any adjustment in house plan and materials solely at Seller's discretion". If any delay or other matter happened due to a wide range of reasons, including Seller management issue, labor dispute, supplier delay, etc., the seller would take no responsibility. Without a reasonable HOA rule book and description of what the HOA would do and how it is run, a mandatory fee ($1000) must be collected up-front and buyer must agree to contribute. Whatever put into the agreement will not be discussed and buyer must agree and obey, as it is supposedly decided by their lawyers. No negotiation will be allowed.

So our take on what the agreement would mean to us: We could end up waiting an uncertain amount of time up to 3, 4, 5 years(?) for closing. If anything bad happens to the house, delay of delivery, material, quality issue, and so on, all we could do is to wait and accept the fact. They can charge additional fees without prior notice. Needless to say, it would be wise decision NOT to mess around with a builder like this! If anyone could please share with us your experience, including thoughts about how reasonable this Toll company is, please do so. We will really appreciate!

Original review: May 16, 2017

We have had nothing but a positive experience with Toll Brothers. They have exceeded our expectations. They delivered on every single promise. They've built us a wonderful home here in Florida. This will be the third builder we have worked with in Florida over the past 25 years and they are by far the best.

Original review: May 5, 2017

We made our warranty request well within the 11 month window. The final response came six months later and it was denied. The hardwood flooring boards are warping at the end of each of 70% of the boards in the house. The response was, "This is normal." I quote from the letter; In their December 16, 2016 letter, Armstrong stated, "Growth in the length of floor boards may cause slight end lifting of engineered flooring, which is a natural phenomenon that occurs when moisture at the bottom of the board exceeds the moisture at the top of the board." Warped hardwood is NORMAL??? A person at the township meeting on mold complaints (May 3, 2017) said, "This development was built on a marsh". I have no direct knowledge of this claim but the person lived in this area before Toll started building. If it is true the development was built on a marsh perhaps that is the reason my hardwood floors are warping.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I would like to start with one recent issue, although there are tons of issues I can complain about the "luxury home builder" Toll Brothers. We closed the new house around a month and moved into it 2 weeks. Very soon we found there are 11 nails popped up from the wall of the family room. The height is low where little kids can touch. We think it should be an urgent issue which must be fixed asap. However, after we reported the issue, the builder said it's normal and there will be more nail pops and suggested we wait until 11 months warranty as the builder only provides one complimentary drywall touch up for the nails pop up. We asked how about if the same nail pops again after they fix it. The answer is "unfortunately if they do, it would not be covered" (quote from email).

At first, we have 2 warranty. One is 30 days and the other is 1 year. I don't understand why the builder only fix once. More importantly, I think the builder should give a good quality house. When they fix issue, they should make sure their fix is useful. How come they fix only once and don't give any guarantee if it works. Toll Brothers said it is a luxury house builder. Ridiculous! Look at the customer service. Can you believe it? Last but not least, this is not the only issue. There are tons of issues I can complain about!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

We've known Toll Brothers as being a well-respected home builder since we lived in NJ. We were relocated to Florida and had Toll build us a house. Did they make errors? Yes, 2 major ones! Since we had everything in writing per design, we brought it to their attention, and they did follow up with the necessary repairs and changes. Their architects are designing homes which are now form over function. They have models that have a full bath 6 feet across from the dining room. Imagine having company over for dinner and you have to do a number 2 with no window. Or a study with no windows. The company is truly going in the wrong direction.

What is extremely upsetting is that we purchased our home in a Toll Brothers Development of 400 homes to be built, they built 38 and pulled out because their sales were not brisk enough for the corporate ** at their home office in PA. Toll sold out to a single developer who is not capable of building more homes and keeping to the high standard of what Toll once was. We have now learned that Toll has done the same at 2 other Toll Developments nearby. The Toll Brothers company no longer cares about the buyers, it's all about the stockholders. It's sad because the development is starting to look like ** and HOA fees continue to rise along with Toll Brothers Corporate greed. Beware Toll Buyer.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

We bought a single story home that was already built and being used as a model. The yard was already landscaped mostly with bark. During the rainy season the downspouts are so small the water runs over the drains like a waterfall. This has caused discoloration on the front of the house. I called service to come out and I was told this was normal. We've owned three other homes before this and have never had this problem before. How could they say it was Normal to have water coming off the roof like a waterfall. The yard was not grated and I have flooding in the back and side of my home. The lighting and cabinet quality are by no means luxury. Just wish we would have went with a different builder for the price we paid!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

We built a Toll home and closed on it in April of 2016. We've had a number of shoddy construction repairs fixed typically after long delays. The drywall and paint was done so poorly that after several attempts by Toll to remedy, we ended up contracting with other than the illegal immigrants that Toll sub contracts with. Of course this was at our expense. Our high-end upgraded flooring also had to be repaired by and paid for by our own contractor because the Toll idiot they sent out was incapable of performing the work in a quality manner. My wife actually threw him out, something she's never done before.

Our real issue is the mold issue in all new homes in the development. We've gone through remediation, but after weeks of them finishing the job and getting them to repair the holes in the ceilings and replace our crown molding has fallen on deaf ears. All and I mean all of the new homes have mold. Most of our neighbors have or are hiring private mold inspectors and the majority have discovered mold in the homes. One neighbor is having his entire second floor replaced. Toll's solution - "keep your air above 78 degrees." We live in humid south Florida. That's not an option. They claim to have hired a NASA engineer, but given my mold issues you would think he'd want to talk to me and view my home. I think they lied to me about an engineer and have asked for reports. We've heard nothing. I called the city and they reported that Toll has not reported a mold problem. I had to report it.

I've contacted the media and a group of the neighbors are looking at a class action lawsuit. The benefits of buying into a high-end neighborhood is many of them are lawyers. My advice to others considering buying in PGCC is to hold. The air handling units in my home are 3.5 tons under what the square footage allows for. The problem is these small air handlers cannot keep up with the cool air requirements and are running constantly causing condensation to form and insulation in the attic (and main level too) to get wet. I had ceiling that were mushy.

Be mindful of the people charged with handling your warranty items. They are slow and unresponsive. I had to threaten them with their lives to get them to just show up for routine items. Then the work is always shoddy. We ended up hiring a contractor and spent three months and over $100k in remodeling much of the work that Toll did. Our guy told us there wasn't a square ceiling, wall, floor or anything in any room. This is true of Toll's approach to building your home - they are not square with you.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

The workmanship is shoddy to say the least! Kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, appliances, and countertops were damaged during installation. Some items we paid extra for were not installed or improperly installed. The Design Center failed to note correct selection made by us and now we have tiles, etc., we did not select! 16 months after moving into our new house and Toll still has not been fixed, repaired quite a few items on, what was quite a long punch list.

Toll also failed to inform us that there would be $120.00 per months sewerage fee and that neither the pool, clubhouse, nor the tennis courts would be usable for more than one year. Dealing with Toll has been frustrating and irritating to put it mildly and despite Toll's continuous assurance that everything would be taken care of, this has not been the case!! So here we are with a Townhouse (for which we paid $700,000 for) that has cracked walls/ceilings, squeaky wood floors, damaged cabinets and appliances, exposed insulation outside, cracked concrete, and numerous other problems.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

Me and my family went to visit model on the way to speak to a sales consultant in a neighboring community. Two ladies in office the younger was very pleasant and asked how she can help. The other older lady never said a word. While we were in the model the older sales lady kept coming in and watching us as if we weren't suppose to be there. Was not friendly at all. And kept chastising us throughout the visit. We were not allowed to take any pictures yet there is tons of video and pics of this model throughout internet. And were telling the children that certain drinks in kitchen were for other people. That kind of attitude does not fit well in that industry. Never got that treatment at any other builder community. We will not recommend.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

We bought a new home in Regency at Readington in Whitehouse, NJ in May 2016. Toll Brothers failed to disclose a beer distribution warehouse approximately 50 feet from our backyard property. The Hunterdon Brewery Co which has 11 loading docks and spotlights along the outside of building. They operate 24/7 with trucks as large as 18 wheelers coming and going all night and day loading and unloading pallets full of kegs and cases of beer etc. The constant banging, crashing, scraping and peeping continues to occur despite numerous complaints to facility, Readington Township (Mayor Fort and zoning officials) and Toll Brother.

Unfortunately this facility was not mentioned or disclosed in our contract. No one can support that this is zoned or legal to operate in this capacity. Unbelievable!!! Toll declined to buy back our home and The Township just comes up with excuses for their lack of accountability. So, we are left with a home where windows stay closed, fans on high speed and a backyard that has not been utilized. The best part, is Toll still does not disclose this facility in their present contracts as they have over hundred townhouses still to sell in this community.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

My husband and I were considering building with Toll Brothers in Weddington, NC. I recently stopped by the subdivision to speak to the sales associate and get more information on the models. The woman in the design studio, let's call her Kate, showed me into the kitchen and had me wait while she went to another room to speak with the sales associate. Let's call her Anna. Kate came back out and told me to wait for Anna.

I stood in the kitchen - no one else there - for over 15 minutes. Then Anna, with the most obnoxious, snooty attitude came out, looked at me like I was bothering her and said, "Do you have any questions?" In shock I said, "Excuse me. I'm a prospective customer. That woman told me to wait here for you. I've been waiting a long time." To which she responded, "Oh, come with me. I told her to tell you to come in the back office."

She showed me some models on paper and available lots. Honestly, I couldn't even pay attention because of how rude she was. She was even rude to a co-worker who walked in while I was with her. I was flabbergasted that TB would put someone like this in their front office to represent them when they are interfacing with customers who may spend $700k to over a million on a house. I'm so glad to have found this site. Now I can see TB has some major problems and I won't waste my time. If they are willing to have this person be my first impression, I'll see my way out. Thank you very much.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

We recently attempted to purchase a new home in the Robertson Ranch development in Carlsbad. There was a big hole in the ground next to the lot we were considering. We asked about it and were told it was a water quality basin. The correct term is actually a "bio-retention basin", and it is basically a man-made water collection basin designed to collect rain runoff. There are going to be 29 of them in this community, with one right next to, and uphill from the lot we were considering. The Toll Brothers own disclosure statement had many serious statements about the basin, including warning that the basin could be "unsightly", "smell", and even be a "drowning hazard".

It soon became very obvious that Toll Brothers was not going to help us with even the most basic questions about the basin; questions like, "How deep with the basin get", "How long will water typically remain in the basin after a rain", and "How can we be convinced that water from a heavy rain will not end up in our house?" We independently got details from the city of Carlsbad and convinced ourselves that the risks were low, and continued with the purchase process, including picking exterior upgrades and even dropping off a $50,000 cashier's check. They sent us the final papers electronically to sign, and we signed them.

However, after we signed the final documents, we included a note informing them that it would be a good practice for them to help their customers understand these basins. Apparently, that statement broke the deal, they refused to sign and they sent back our check. We pleaded with them, but they refused to budge, making the ridiculous argument that "we would not be happy there".

After a few weeks of total shock, we swallowed our pride and started down the path of making an offer on another lot in the same development. We made a trip into the sales trailer and were treated badly again, with one of the sales agents effectively telling us that we deserved the way we were treated. That was it for us, we had had enough of the Toll Brothers' rude and disrespectful treatment. A few weeks later we bought a house just down the street in an established neighborhood.

Original review: May 17, 2016

We built a home in Weyhill Estates in 2014. The home took over 15 months to finish. However even after a forced settlement by Toll the entire outside of our home was not complete. The yard was not even rough graded, no driveway, and no outside paint but we still had to pay everything at settlement. No money could be held back to assure that they would complete these tasks due to a stipulation they had on the contract. The settlement date was put through the month before the actual settlement as to save Toll a month of taxes that we had to incur. This is why all settlements happen in Horsham so they can control this.

It took the entire summer for them to finally finish the outside of our house. We had a punch list of over 100 items that they also had to address. With each thing they did an appointment had to be made meaning missed work days on our part. We would do this to find out that the replaced materials we also faulty and they never even opened the box to check item first. The grass was put in, in the first week of July after telling the building manager Mike to not do it now wait till Fall. The yard is still a mess today. Loads of bare spots that still have no grass. In having a professional look at the yard we were told that there is little to no topsoil and that topsoil needs to be brought in and then seeded properly. It was 16 months when they finally finished our original punch list.

The worst however is the way in which Mike building manager and Kelly his sidekick treated us. In the process of all the above happening our existing home did not sell. We were carrying two homes. We were forced to put our new home up for sale too. Our HOA rules allowed for 1 sign to be in the yard. As soon as our sign went in the yard we received a nasty email from Mike telling us the sign had to come out. Him and Kelly connived together to get the HOA changed to say no signs allowed forcing us to remove the sale sign from the property. This alone is scary in that where is this headed? If they don't like something they change the HOA.

When buyers would stop at the sample home and ask if any instant properties were available they would even lie and say, "No, nothing" knowing our house was for sale. The best however is that we had as interested party looking at our house to buy, it is now 2 years of carrying the two houses. The buyers went to Toll and showed them our list of extras and said, "What would it cost to build the house today." Mike went and gave them $40,000 discount off the extras of the house in order to come in under what we are asking for the house so that they would not buy our house but build with them.

Mike and Kelly are the lowest of low. They lied numerous times throughout the building process to us and continued to lie and be deceptive even yet today. A $600,000 + home should not be delivered unfinished with a punch list of over 100 items. In talking with neighbors each of them have their own horror story to tell. Several giving up on having Toll correct the problems and hired other to fix things right. Some of us don't have that luxury and simply feel that it is only right with the money spent that they do what is right. However we are talking about Toll Brothers now aren't we?

Original review: May 14, 2016

I live in an area where Toll is trying to force a proposed development into our small neighborhood. This proposed development is situated directly above a very sensitive river which is being restored to support salmon spawning. In 2012 Toll was required to pay a civil penalty of $741,000 to resolve alleged Clean Water Act violations at its construction sites across the country. Having shown little regard for its customers in resolving issues I fear that Toll will continue to disregard their commitments and potentially endanger our wildlife habitat.

In a recent meeting with the city local citizens learned how close Toll and Master Builders Association worked with our city hall to allow development to occur willy-nilly here in our town. I am seeking creditable input from people who have complaints against Toll that I can use to support my concerns over having Toll build in such a sensitive area.

Original review: May 13, 2016

I had my end of year walkthrough and was very difficult to schedule (after requesting an appt online and calling the office). After someone did call me back, denies getting calls and states it's too late and passed 30 days after 1 year anniversary. I still have a cracked sink (in a brand new townhouse) that I showed the guy in the first walk (at 4 months) that was not fixed. This is a nightmare, worst experience ever. You call and no one calls you back. Good luck!!

Toll Brothers Company Information

www.tollbrothers.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use