1.3/5 (198 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Toll Brothers

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Toll Brothers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toll Brothers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toll Brothers?

Original review: May 27, 2022

I signed a contract with Toll Brothers on April of 2021. The house was promised to be by January. We've selected and designed and confirmed everything is good to go by Toll Brothers. By the time the house was 3 months late, they sent a notice for 2 months closing date. As the closing date is during our kid's school 5/12, we asked for extension whether if we can close it at the end of the month. They said no so we worked with lender to lock in the rate to be closed on the date they promised. Within 2 weeks before closing, they said they didn't have the stone that we have selected and asked us to pick other stones that we didn't like and it didn't match with the scheme of the house. They said that if we don't pick the stone, the house is potentially pushed out all the way to August. I was ok with that as long as they are paying for my discount point and extension of the interest rate lock. They didn't and said it's not their fault.

I was forced to pick a new stone and close a week later than promised. Even during the closing date, they haven't done all the items that we've identified during our walkthrough. They promised the list will get done as I didn't sign off on it. A week later, they still haven't got a chance to fix it. On top of that headache, they have agent that assigned to me left and they never reached out or even assign a new one until I reached out 4 weeks later. This is my fourth house that I've purchased in the past 20 years (job relocation), Toll Brothers has some nice design but it comes to customer services and communication, it's one of the worst if it's not the worst. Long T

Original review: April 28, 2022

I was trying to get on the waiting list for ovation in Wintergarden Florida, and I have sent at least seven or eight emails to figure out how to get on the waiting list, if a deposit is needed, when the models will be done because apparently the models are not finished for the house as they are selling, and the representatives which I will not share their names unless you contact me privately, have been the worst of any builder I have worked within the area. I have worked with four other builders and these folks, they don’t care. Great properties, need better bedside manner training.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2022

This property participates in the ADU program (affordable housing) and I was informed by the OTA that is illegal to charge more than $50 for an application fee and this property charges $75. I reached out to one of the leasing agents and she had an attitude when I brought this to her attention. I have also reported them to the OTA & DCHD for further investigation. Also, the reviews are true. Stay away.

Original review: March 26, 2022

I purchased a brand new home from the Toll Brothers. Five months ago I moved in, I have a wobbling floor. I’ve been calling every level of their construction management. Nobody answered the phone, I just have to left a message! Wait for someone to respond, but no one responds, I keep emailing the people. They finally show up, they try to fix the problem. They make the big mess to my house but problem hasn’t been solved, I emailed them. Contact the people and finally someone showed up.

They looked at it and they said wobbling is "tolerance" level, it’s OK to be wobble, I just purchased brand new home. I don’t want a live with this floor at all, I’ve been searching, calling my lawyer, getting some advice from the different people. They advise me to hire private home inspection person, which I did. They are coming to take a look at the my floor. Whatever the consequences I will fix it out of my pocket but I will take them to court. Try to get my money back. It’s been a horrible experience for me. Not happy at all. Very disappointed, new home buyers I will highly recommend it for them to hire private inspector. Let them inspect everything for their own. Make sure they do their job right.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

We bought a Toll Brother's home in Seattle. They do a really good job in their model homes and when you buy one to be built, they do a really REALLY sloppy job. We have crooked grout lines, messy grout splotches here and there, defective floor planks, etc. When we pointed those things out during the walk through, we were told that those things were "within the acceptable parameters." They had an issue with the grout used and they knew it at the time. We wanted them to redo it and they refused. A year later, it's all flaking off in giant chunks and we have to pay to redo it ourselves. They also mark everything up when you go to the design studio to select finishes and tiles. Like ridiculous amounts. Will NEVER buy another Toll Bros home.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

There is nothing top notch about this builder. I have had nothing but problems and so have several others. The Facebook group to Sterling Grove has people complaining all the time about not getting responses from the company. I signed my contract before Christmas and never received an executed contracted. Long story, several errors later, Toll Brothers wanted me to sign an Amendment to a change I didn’t want. Five weeks ago, I cancelled my contract as I was within my rights to do so with a full refund of my deposit. They didn’t know what to do as they never executed the contract and refused to do so without me signing the amendment.

They owe me a lot of money, signed saying they’d return it, they can’t seem to let me know when I’ll have it. Such a disappointing experience with a process that was supposed to be enjoyable. Now, they are hindering my buying ability as they have not provided a refund or a real status other than “it’s being worked.” More than likely it’s sitting in someone’s email.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

We closed on our home in October of 2020 with a guarantee that all defects would be resolved within the 11 month warranty period. In April of 2021 I began working directly with the builders Project Manager of the Illinois Division on the deterioration of our driveway (all documents retained from the discussions with the project manager). The edges of the drive contained linear cracks, graded in a manner that created water pooling and the surface of the driveway breakage away (Raveling is the disintegration of an asphalt road surface).

Toll Brothers did complete some patchwork in an attempt to resolve the issue, cold patching areas of the driveway but did not address the main issues. The patched area entering the garage has completely broken away, the linear creaks continue to form and the raveling never stopped, Toll Brothers has refused to resolve these issues on a new home. Many other areas of repair point to poor craftsmanship and lack of customer care during construction.

They do not protect the home during the construction process, windows are left open and exposed during the building process. I had over an inch of water in my living/dining room during the construction process. The roof was on the home, had they covered the window openings with plastic (cheap resolution) it would have greatly minimized the interiors exposure to the elements. Our floor creaks due to the standing water on the sub-floor and the water was not drained until I called the builder.

The challenges and defects would be difficult to list in this review but the process is definitely not collaborative once the agreement is completed and their values as it pertains to the customer are not embraced. From the corporate website: care and dedication extends not just to our employees but to our customers, partners, and the broader communities in which we build. We did not find this to be true with the Toll Brothers Project Manager of the Elgin Community.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Worst Home Ever Built! The HVAC is broken. We have no gas heat. The streets in the neighborhood are not paved so I am sure when it starts to snow as neighbors have told us we will be stuck in our home until enough of us complain that Toll Brothers sends a plow to plow the streets. DO NOT EVER BUY A NEW CONSTRUCTION HOME FROM TOLL BROTHERS IN A NEW COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

New construction is a time-consuming, complicated and potentially very frustrating process. So much of the process, irrespective of the builder, is hit-or-miss. The difference between success and failure is often a combination of the quality of the subcontractors, the individual supposedly supervising the work, the market (when things are busy, that's when errors occur) and the manner in which information is communicated. For us, the process was terrible. This wasn't our first rodeo, so we were attuned to potential screwups. However, I cannot think of any aspect of the process that was smooth or enjoyable.

Once you sign the agreement of sale, the sales staff is useless, yet they control the flow of information to the construction folks, which makes absolutely no sense. The people in the Design Center do not communicate with the construction people. For example, you could buy something at the Design Center and no one will tell you (until it's too late) that it is unavailable or will not fit in your home. In fact, the Design center folks were downright rude and unhelpful. There are just too many people involved in the process and no one person coordinates everything. I'm not even going to discuss the mortgage company, which has its own share of incompetents.

Let's face it, sometimes you don't have a lot of choices when you are wedded to a particular location. We had that problem. Not many builders (two actually) to choose from. So the house was finished late, had numerous construction defects and has a long list of warranty items. Will we ever be happy with the product? Time will tell, but I doubt it. If you can avoid this builder, do so. If not, hire your own independent inspector to find all of the issues you won't necessarily notice. The cost is well worth it. Document every conversation. Leave ample time for delays. Be prepared to fix certain things yourself after settlement. Try to find the one construction person at the site who cares, and establish a good relationship with that person. Do not hesitate to call the corporate office for help. If you are looking for an enjoyable experience, try Disney. This will not be it. If moving were not such a terrible experience, I would sell the house tomorrow.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

When we signed for our house in July 2021, we were told February 2022. Quick move in and all. We understood it could be delayed a little but were assured it would be February. To the sales guy's character I believe this is what he believed to be true. Come now September, we have been told our home won't be available until October 2022. We only bought the house because we were assured it would be done in February, now we face losing it all including the $10000 deposit. Won't let you sell your contract, won't let you find another buyer, won't give any room for anything that can save you a year or 2's saving because let's face it, like any big corporation, they just want your money. The only bright side of this is that the sales guy is friendly and does his best, but he has no power to make a deal or help you out.

Toll Brothers Company Information