2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Toll Brothers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toll Brothers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toll Brothers?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Our experience working with Toll Brothers in the Hasentree Wake Forest NC community was phenomenal. We built a new home with them that took about 8 months and visited the home almost every weekend during the build process, as well as communicated with the team regularly throughout. At first due to some bad reviews we read online about Toll Brothers in general, before choosing TB to build with...we were initially always on guard and extremely worried something would go very wrong. But this team was different and exceeded our expectations to say the least. They were very professional, considerate, personable, responsive and flexible where it mattered most; from the design center with Heather **, to the sales office with Justin ** [our project manager], Jeff ** and Alan ** [our sales managers] and Michael ** [our construction manager].

To be frank it was not all smooth sailing from start to finish because working with them for so many months with some changes in their team and a few missed communications here and there, then dealing with the coronavirus pandemic took its toll on all of us...but this team persevered and was able to help fill the small gaps and build on and strengthen our overall experience.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

We had a fantastic experience working with the Toll Brothers team at the Rosecrest development in Herriman. Everyone that we worked with from our sales coordinator to project manager to design assistant were EXTREMELY professional, helpful and always willing to work with us on special requests. We are confident that anyone moving into this development will have a great experience. Thank you Toll Brothers and we would be happy to recommend you to anyone!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

We have a Toll Brothers townhome and we love it... No major issues, only six small items for Toll Brothers to fix at end of first year. We would buy another Toll Brothers home in a heartbeat. Our entire purchase process and getting the townhome built was uneventful.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I think buying a new home requires a lot of research and inspection to be successful. This applies to new home construction and existing home purchases. Each has its unique challenges. Why are we happy? First of all, after twenty years, Toll Brothers is still going strong while many builders from back then have closed up and disappeared. The Toll Brothers brand still gives an added premium if we chose to sell the house. Also, I have come to appreciate that Toll is not just the builder of their houses, they are also the land developer. This eliminates much of the potential finger-pointing when utilities and water drainage issues arise.

A couple of points I understand better now: first, signing the contract and paying the down payment basically means you have already bought the house -- the closing is just the final formality. Our contract gave Toll 365 days to deliver. You should expect that that's how long it will take. House prices fluctuate and a year is a long time. If prices rise, you've gotten a great deal. If prices fall, you've lost real money. Just as if you owned the house for a year.

We had a lawyer review the Toll Sales contract. We had an inspector examine the house right before drywall was put up. And we talked to the County Planning and Zoning office and the County Building inspectors. All said to us that Toll was not perfect, but they were one of the best builders in the county. And the first year, Toll came numerous times to work on fixes and adjustments to our house. Yes, we did have to push to get some things done right. But I expected that would be the case.

Did we make mistakes? Of course. For example, I wish I went through the options list more thoroughly. After the development was finished, we found out from neighbors about options we didn't even know were offered. The salespeople really made it difficult for us to see the full option list. I guess they were afraid we would price ourselves out of our mortgage approval limit. In any case, I wrote review because I thought my experiences might be helpful to someone else. Best wishes.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

When we purchased this house, it was owned by Sharp and eventually bought by Toll Brothers. As the part of the process all the employees have transferred to Toll Brothers. There is one very unpopular employee manages this property who's name is James C. He is very customer unfriends, demeaning, tries to brush problems off talks down to you. I would also doubt he has some relationship with the landscape company who does a worst job in that neighborhood yet still get hired. Most of the residents in this neighborhood is very displeasure with lawn work and most of us fixed ourself. And we fix most of the small defects (some were major).

What makes me write this review is the vengeance nature of the person who take opportunity to all police and state inspector to bully the residents. However we are not affected, but not have any kind of respect to the residents who brought these property with hefty price than market is very disgraceful. I hope and wish Toll Brother's management to do better than this, otherwise our bad reviews will be all over the internet. I would never recommend them to friends or family (or even my worst enemy). They getting ready for Brookmeade neighborhood who will be managed by same person, for anyone buying a property please be cautioned. DO NOT PURCHASE A HOME FROM THERE.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Toll Brothers management and follow through once you have purchased a home is TERRIBLE!!!! Once I moved in, I filed a list of all of the small defects (some were major). Never heard from anyone. When I called to complain, they sent Jim ** over. He is very customer unfriendly, demeaning, tries to brush problems off, talks down to you, and today basically left and said I'm on my own. This is a $600k condo (not even a house) in Ashburn! I have purchased new homes from Rylan, Stanley Martin and Van Meter throughout the years and this is by FAR the worst builder company. DO NOT PURCHASE A HOME. The models look great but when you buy your own home and the workmanship is flawed, the LAST thing they want to do is fix it. I have yet to speak to someone in the corporate office to help. This is a very unprofessional company and I would never recommend them to friends or family (or even my worst enemy).

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

If you are ready to be disappointed for a long-time "Welcome to Toll Brothers community".We bought a house in a “Golf course” and were told the surrounding area either will stay “naturally as is” or will turn to a golf course. It is neither of them. AFTER we bought the house Toll Brothers came in and altered our view to a rural farm.

Managers do not communicate with the owners what is the plan for the lands around your property or the time frame. They don’t ask your permission or give you a chance to discuss your concerns. They are very arrogant. Toll brothers think they own their clients and the properties that already were sold. Another shocking truth is, before you move and without your knowledge they steal and sell the topsoil of not only your property also all of your surroundings. Good luck landscaping and having plants grow and keeping them healthy. Very unprofessional, zero customer service, ignorant people running the Toll Brothers.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I am Home owner at Reserves at Katy for 3 years. Based on my own factual experience I am writing this review. Toll Sale prices are hiked more than 100k above the market price and perform due analysis before buying toll home. When they come up quick delivery home its more than 150k above the market price and they will advertise sales pitch of oversized homes, swimming pools etc. To be honest "The Reserves at Katy- Trace" homes are oversold and I know for the fact being a homeowner at "The Reserves at Katy - Estates" which is wider size homes. When you purchase the home in Houston area, please check HAR website and do due diligence as currently prices are down. **.

Also please you have to pay 1200-1500 yearly maintenance cost for this community. Once you negotiate the price, please use your own inspection company prior to closing. Based on my own experience, Toll maintenance will not fix anything after closing. They will come up with many excuses of not solving the issue. They will say 2 year warranty/10 year structural warranty and, "We will fix all issues after closing." Please do not believe on their words and eventually its a loss for you as those are sales pitches and they want to close the homes and move on to the other customers.

One you become homeowner you have to deal with maintenance as they are many flaws in the newly built homes. They will come up with preconditions that, "We will not fix any issues" and often give wrong information and procrastinate the problem. Once you reach 2 years they will say your service tickets are not warrantable and you are out of warranty. Please make sure you factor maintenance problems as part of negotiation and try to lower the Home price. The maintenance issues will easily cost you 20k-30k and you have to pay from your own pocket and builder will not fix for you.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Went to Franklin Lakes to look at Toll Brothers new development. Sales lady sold the lot to another customer after we gave her a offer. Then 2 weeks later, emailed us that the lot was available BUT FOR MORE MONEY. BEWARE, TOTAL SCAMMER. STAY AWAY. WE ARE.

Original review: June 23, 2020

We purchased a New Home from Toll Brothers in 2018 in a beautiful Country Club Community of 50 expensive homes (between $1.2-1.7 Million). During the building process, I personally witnessed horrible construction issues (roof joists were not secured before the roof tiles were put on which resulted in 40% of the roof dropping up to 10 inches in multiple areas causing peaks and valleys). Also the interior finish carpenters used no less than 30 finishing nails in the corners of the door molding trim to hold the trim on (I have pictures).

Also, after the vegetable sink was installed in the smaller island in the kitchen, we found out that they neglected to run electric power to the island and had to dig up the kitchen floor to run the power. Also, after selecting 5 slabs of beautiful granite for our kitchen countertops and island, the fabricator did not measure the curve of the main counter properly and still installed the countertop even though it did not fit. It actually was flush to the drawers on one side and hung over the other side by 3 1/2 inches. Needless to say, they had to cut the granite off and redo the entire kitchen island. When they re-installed the granite they polished all areas of the granite except the 2 seams that they epoxied together which left a 4' wide dull area that they have still not been able to fix after multiple attempts.

Also, we spent $80,000 in their design center for all of our upgrades including 'custom cabinets' throughout the house (4010 sq. ft). The self-closing cabinets have had continuous problems like chipping paint, bad alignment, self-closing drawers that don't close properly. We have had their 'warranty' folks out at least 4 times to fix things but now the 2 different cabinet companies that they used are no longer in business AND the Warranty is up...

Perhaps most disturbing is the fact that Toll Brothers has not finished the streets in our development and the roll curbs that they installed are so steep and high at the 'driveway entrances' that all of the homeowners in our development have complained about vehicle undercarriage damage due to scrapping as we try to get into or out of our 'driveway entrances'. 18 of the homeowners have purchased rubber-bridge ramps to try to eliminate the problem. Unless you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle you will scrape the front air dam or suspension of your vehicle no matter how careful you are.

The last home in our development was completed over 26 months ago and the final street Cap Coat has still not been applied. So in addition to the vehicle damage, some cars also have experienced damage to the side of their wheels as they try to park in the street (which still has a 3/4' concrete gutter lip.) A city building inspector truck actually popped a tile when it hit the gutter edge.

Toll Brothers posted a performance Bond with the City as a requirement to build in our community and now the City is looking into exercising the Bond to complete the development properly. The HOA has discussed filing a lawsuit against Toll Brothers but because everyone signed an arbitration agreement, we will now have to consider 50 separate Arbitration Hearings which could drag on for years... meanwhile, Toll Brothers has moved on to their next development. Be very, very cautious about buying a home from this company.

Toll Brothers Company Information