Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Toll Brothers Reviews

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Horrible Experience and attitude! We built a $1.75 MM home with Toll in Scottsdale in 2017 and feel it was the cheapest and worst built home anyone could imagine. Pretty much everyone in our 33 home development felt the same way. 2 yrs later, we just had to repaint the home because Toll only applied one thin coat of paint. Worst part is Toll's agreements which prohibit lawsuits against them in attempt to keep homeowners from suing and making public their horrible construction practices. Don't be deceived by their slick advertising. Here's a short list of defects in our home:

1. A 20 ft lam beam spanning a large sliding door was undersized and excessively bowed. Had to be replaced after found this problem. The door installer later told us that he had refused to install the door due to this problem and Toll told him to proceed anyway.
    2. Over 60 cement roof tiles were broken.
    3. Metal flashing on the roof was missing.
    4. The courtyard wall wasn't built to the Plans. It was 3 ft short and had to be raised.
    5. Three glass panels on the courtyard doors had seals broken and were replaced.
    6. The TV wall had to be rebuilt three (3) times because it didn't follow Plans.
    7. Two windows in the Master bedroom were installed in the wrong location according to the Plans.
    8. Numerous cabinet doors in the kitchen were twisted and the replacements now don't match colors.
    9. The master shower tile floor has been replaced three times and still allows water to seep underneath.
    10. The master tub was install improperly and had to be removed and re-installed.
    11. Wood flooring in the office was gouged.
    12. Main A/C vent in kitchen was covered with drywall.
    13. Paint splattered throughout the home on the tile flooring.
    14. Two spotlights in the kitchen were incorrectly spaced in the ceiling.
    15. The sliding door in the Master bedroom leaked water and wouldn't close tight.
    16. The attic access was unusable because it was entirely blocked by electrical wiring in the attic.
    17. The glass shower door in the guest bathroom fell off.
    18. No covers provided for courtyard drain lines.
    19. Guest bathroom countertop was covered with silicone caulking.
    20. The roof in the great room leaked water causing damage to the drywall ceiling.
    21. Garage roof leaked.
    22. Entire house had to be repainted in less than 2 years.

23. All lumber looked like the lowest grade possible. It also sat exposed to the weather for over a year. Entire build took about 2 years.

We have built other custom homes and will never build with Toll again!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I think buying a new home requires a lot of research and inspection to be successful. This applies to new home construction and existing home purchases. Each has its unique challenges. Why are we happy? First of all, after twenty years, Toll Brothers is still going strong while many builders from back then have closed up and disappeared. The Toll Brothers brand still gives an added premium if we chose to sell the house. Also, I have come to appreciate that Toll is not just the builder of their houses, they are also the land developer. This eliminates much of the potential finger-pointing when utilities and water drainage issues arise.

A couple of points I understand better now: first, signing the contract and paying the down payment basically means you have already bought the house -- the closing is just the final formality. Our contract gave Toll 365 days to deliver. You should expect that that's how long it will take. House prices fluctuate and a year is a long time. If prices rise, you've gotten a great deal. If prices fall, you've lost real money. Just as if you owned the house for a year.

We had a lawyer review the Toll Sales contract. We had an inspector examine the house right before drywall was put up. And we talked to the County Planning and Zoning office and the County Building inspectors. All said to us that Toll was not perfect, but they were one of the best builders in the county. And the first year, Toll came numerous times to work on fixes and adjustments to our house. Yes, we did have to push to get some things done right. But I expected that would be the case.

Did we make mistakes? Of course. For example, I wish I went through the options list more thoroughly. After the development was finished, we found out from neighbors about options we didn't even know were offered. The salespeople really made it difficult for us to see the full option list. I guess they were afraid we would price ourselves out of our mortgage approval limit. In any case, I wrote review because I thought my experiences might be helpful to someone else. Best wishes.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

First of all I would like to say that Toll Brothers does build amazing homes with great floorplans, but that is what you pay a premium for. When you pay a premium you also expect those finishes to be done correctly and in a timely manner. I have been waiting for nearly a year to get certain flaws corrected since taking possession of the home and am still waiting. They rushed to get the home ready so they could get it off their books by the end of the year and now we are stuck with the consequences.

I have taken time off and rearranged my schedule in order to be present for the workers who are scheduled to arrive and no one ever shows up. This is unbelievably frustrating. So be aware, if you are okay with the house as is when buying Toll Brothers great. But be prepared to fight for any corrections that need to be done. And on a side note, we just received a letter that their mortgage arm was hacked and all of our information stolen. I suspect a class action lawsuit is in the near future for them.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

All was relatively OK until I was confronted with a medical issue. Due to the need for heart surgery I was told by my doctor that a three level house would be a unacceptable living condition for me AFTER my recovery from surgery. With 6 months to go until home delivery, and the home still in the framing state, I informed Toll Brothers of my need to withdraw from THIS purchase. They have decided to withhold 50% of my down payments as a penalty for withdrawing. Stay away from tolls brothers they are only interested in your money.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Do not buy with them. They will take your money if your plans change. I lost my money in a house with Toll Brothers (White Spring in Collegeville). I lost close to $50000. Please share. They did not give the chance to use the money for other property with them. They will do everything to take your money if your plans change and you cannot close on the house. Be careful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toll Brothers?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

60 faults in home. Bricks out of plumb. Incorrect framing (Not level or square). Delays in getting anything completed. We've lived in a construction site trying to get corrections now for 6 months. DON'T PAY the extra money for their product- our supervisor told us pointedly- "We use the same contractors as the 200k houses down the street".

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Toll Brothers calls itself "America's Luxury Home Builder." Highly misleading and quite the contrary. They are the worst builder ever. I am a resident in the Robertson Ranch Community. We purchased a home in The Vistas, specifically the Las Brisas model. We have had a lot of “Settlement Issues” due to Expansive soil. There have been over 50 service visits with Toll Brothers trying to repair our home and the cracks keep coming back. We are now in a Lawsuit for Construction Defect. There are 4 other Las Brisas models on our street and they all have similar problems with stucco cracking, ceilings cracking, windows and doors not closing.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR: Stained drywall at window sills and ceilings, Fractures or cracks along private streets, common area slabs or pavers, Frequent and excessive cracks at drywall (interior) or stucco (exterior), Leaks or staining at or around common area planters, Staining or discoloration below decks and at entry landings, Excessive cracking at tile flooring, garage slabs or patio areas, Staining or dampness at underground parking garage, Cracking or step cracking at perimeter block wall, Any landscaping cracking, pool cracking, concrete raising/lifting up. Your home is your greatest investment. It is not “normal settlement” that Toll Brothers would like you to believe. They are so unprofessional and talk about your 10 year warranty and it is a joke. Don't waste time working with them, just get yourself a Construction Defect Litigation Attorney.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

We live in a Toll Brothers home which is a year old. We had plumbing issues. We noticed there was a small leak right next to our sidewalk. They couldn't figure out where the regulator valve was at first so they dug up and uprooted my shrubs. Then they figured out that they forgot to put a regulator valve to navigate the pressure. They came in and put a valve in but the entire process took over a month.

Then the second leak came about soon after, right in the same spot. After digging it and cutting off our sprinkler line, they notified me that it's not under warranty anymore. So I got my own plumber only to find out that pipe came apart as the ground started settling in some. Also, the Fireplace used is a B-vent Fireplace which makes hollow whistle sound whenever it is little windy outside. I am just very disappointed in the quality of things around the house.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

We had several issues with the sales and construction manager at the very beginning of the process and I provided negative online feedback to the company, which caused the president of the company call me to get the details. At that time we agreed to continue to construction and it was promised to build per design and signed documents. During the entire ~7 months of construction process, we had several major construction related issues, we brought all to their attention but continuously ignored and I noticed all three individuals (Sales, Construction manager, Project Manager) were all dishonest.

To make it short, we closed on September 19, 2019 and still have not been able to move due to major issues with kitchen cabinets, countertops, tiles and shower walls. During the pre-closing, we put blue tape on areas needing to be fixed and I was promised they would be taken care of before the closing. We went back to inspect the day of the closing and found all tapes were removed but work was not done. The project manager promised to get all fixed by the end of the day and asked to close, we closed and went back to inspect but found all issue still outstanding.

Overall, the house is not built per design and spec. Cabinets are severely damaged, countertops are damaged, some damaged tiles were replaced but they are not leveled and have 2 different colors of grout, the master bathroom floor tiles are all stained and the builder's cleaning crew were not able to remove stain from tiles, the master bathroom floor tile's grout have 2 different colors, the shower tiles are heavily stained and couldn't be cleaned by their cleaning crew, A large portion of ceiling and walls were bumpy and could be seen from distance. These are the major issues I've described above, there are several other issues that have not been taken care of.

I did not want to post my reviews but, during a walk through with Construction Supervisor today, I was so frustrated to see all new tapes being removed without work being done and he continuously gave me lame excuses for stained tiles, damaged cabinets and countertops. The president of the company called me last week and scheduled to meet next week at the property to review these issues. If issues are not resolved soon then I will start to post photos of their poor quality work and some of the emails.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

We live behind a Toll Brothers Development. They have work trailers right behind our home. We are trying to get our place sold but NO ONE wants to live next to this mess. I have asked them to move them. But NO...they just wont. They have a HUGE area with no one behind but yet they continue to leave the trailer storage next to our place. Plus the AC runs all day and night and the employees start showing up at 5 a.m. and runs their trucks over the gravel driveway waking us. They have ZERO respect for anyone in the community. If it affected their pay check I bet they would get it handled. So Sad you are my neighbors.

Toll Brothers Company Information