1.3/5 (214 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Toll Brothers

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Toll Brothers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toll Brothers?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I imagined the home to be above and beyond my expectations. The final product was such a disappointment in the quality and attention to detail I will never buy another new build. The paint was the cheapest thing you can find with multiple stains all over the walls. The paint splattered on the baseboards, trims, stairs, windows, and hardware was beyond believe. The home was not completed to 100% satisfaction on closing. They are still doing changes even though we closed on December and they still have to replace majority of the roof due to damages during the build. Be careful what you sign, because they will not do anything outside of the contract to make things right.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

I understand construction business can be complicated with many things to rely on, my concern is with the way I was made to believe and got me into a situation where I will be spending thousands of $ more than what was planned, bad business practices. I got into agreement for a purchase of newly constructed house in Ridgecrest at Indian land, SC on 7/2022 and was told estimated closing would be 4/2023. In sept 2022 the agent from Toll Brothers changed the completion date to Jan/mid Feb closing in 2023 as they are progressing faster than previously estimated. Their version stayed the same until yesterday 1/4/2023.

There was little to no progress in Nov/Dec 22 except fixing the wrongdoings, repairs. They are so negligent that they gave right handed plan to lousy contractors who does electrical, plumbing, data, hvac etc. on a left handed house which were messed up. Construction manager is always busy and does not take care of these and I had to show them what was wrong all along. They estimated pre drywall walkthrough by end of Oct or early Nov but ended up in last week on Dec. On 1/4/23 I received a text saying they are TRACKING for April/may 2023 when it is already January.

I sold my house expecting the closing will be in Jan/Feb. 23 and got into a short term rental lease. Now I have to pay 50% more in rent and lose my mortgage rate lock. I never expected them to be so laid back and not answering calls or do not reply to emails on time. Always trying to side track the issue. The agreement is written in a way that they can take 2+years to complete but buyer will be given 30days to close and have a loan commitment ready before 60days of closing. They take hefty amounts in deposit during agreement as well. They are doing a bad business and most of the neighbors are unhappy with the way they are dealing with customers, build quality, repairs etc. I wish I could get my 50k back and get out out of this lousy deal. Attached are the discussions.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

We closed on our house Sept 16, 2022. Leading up to closing we had cheap inexperienced contractors that installed glass cabinet lighting in the most ridiculous way by punching holes in the back of the cabinet instead of the top so when you look at the beautiful glass cabinet, you see wires. Speakers in ceiling with no speaker inside, speakers blowing out from ceiling, no vent in summer kitchen, cracked tile work, rust spots and crack in bathtub, brick wall in loft looks like a kindergarten class did it, painted AROUND outlet covers, not underneath, cracked mirror. We were told to expect that 50% of the time contractors will not show up. House sat empty for weeks at a time. Bathroom fans sounds like a Harley motorcycle. Not to mention the lack of customer service from sales center.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

Worst experience! We closed on the new house 8 months ago and they're still not done with promised fixes we agreed during the closing. During the first 5 months, we now have several major issues like, shower leaking downstairs, a lot of leaking faucets, hvac, leaking sinks, doors not aligned, leaking, lighting, landscaping. You name it, mostly have problems. They had to replace the whole shower floor on the 2nd floor coz it's leaking through the 1st floor ceiling. It's been 3 months now and they're still not done. They installed the new tile in the shower but all different wrong shades/colors of the tile. They're not organized. It's a frustrating experience since building the house till now, 8 months after closing.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

We built a new home in Texas with Toll Brothers. For a supposed high end home builder they sure produce shoddy work. Their warranty support is very slow. When they finally get around to doing something, they do as little as possible. Our brand new garage floor is cracking all over. Back while the home was under warranty they told us they would fix the cracks and seal the concrete. Now, almost a year later they are finally looking at doing something about it. They want to come out and caulk the cracks, and that is it. They totally misled us on what they were going to do to fix the problems. Now they are looking to do the least they can. Needless to say, if you you are thinking of using Toll Brothers, don't. Stay as far away from them as you can. There has to be someone else out there who is better.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

We had an incredibly unpleasant experience with Toll Brothers in California. We entered into a contract with them for 370 Aleso in August 2021, and they told us the estimated completion time would be 12 months. However, after waiting one year, we received an email telling us that construction may be delayed another 6 months. This has been the worst experience we have ever had - sales manager (Kristi **) are unprofessional and dismissive of our concerns; she did not take our issues seriously and was unwilling to help find a resolution. It seems like no one at Toll Brothers cares about us anymore since entering into the contract.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

So unfortunate I am compelled to share my negative experience with Toll Brothers on social media. I closed escrow in May 2018 on a new Toll Brothers home (formerly Coleman Homes) in Eagle, Idaho and my family was beyond excited in love with the home and community. As with any new home, there were minor repairs addressed during the first year and I was Toll’s biggest cheerleader. Fast forward three years to June 18, 2021 when a water leak occurred in the kitchen ceiling. Fortunately I detected the leak before going to bed around 10 pm and turned off the water limiting damage. Had it gone unnoticed, we may have lost all of the downstairs flooring, kitchen cabinets and furnishings.

A plumber quickly responded the next morning and after cutting several holes in the ceiling, determined the hot water (pex) line from a second story bathroom had failed. This bathroom was rarely used in three years but since our son was home on leave, was being used daily. The plumber took a video of the leak and it was evident the pex line had been damaged during the construction process by an electrician's drill to run wire.

State Farm was prompt in processing the claim and paid for all repairs after my deductible. The plumber’s video and damaged pex line were provided to State Farm for their discovery process and upon completing their investigation, also concluded Toll Brothers was at fault. State Farm sought reimbursement for twelve long months, but Toll Brothers denied responsibility. In June 2022, State Farm referred the case to a collection litigation firm. I was notified August 11, 2022 the firm was unable to recover from Toll Brothers who they deemed to be the responsible party.

All builders are responsible for the actions of their sub contractors and it is highly irresponsible of Toll Brothers to ignore this inferior work. The kitchen, pantry, dining room and mud room were all impacted. My family (including an infant) was inconvenienced for two months during the repair process with walls/ceiling torn open, flooring removed, noise from three turbo fans, a dehumidifier, two ducted fans, one negative air and an air scrubber running 24/7 along with various work teams in our home daily. I am out-of-pocket $1310.00 ($310 for the plumber and a $1000 deductible), and State Farm $6,718.02 plus any other expenses incurred in the collection efforts. Sadly after four years, many of my neighbors have ongoing issues with their homes. A home is likely the largest investment you’ll make and should be a place where you feel happy and safe. Please think twice before purchasing a Toll Brothers home as you may regret your decision.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Our Toll Brothers experience. Toll brothers and TBM (Toll Brothers Mortgage) are two of the worst companies I have ever worked with. Having built 3 track-style homes previously I decided to go with Toll Brothers on my next home with a reputation for “award-winning luxurious homes”. I was hoping to avoid the standard things you run into with a quick build, low-quality home. My experience has been awful. Trust me, the home you get is not the quality they show you in the model homes. After being told an estimated build time of 8-12 months that turned into 16 months. And the quality is worse than all the other track home builders I've worked with and seen.

The week before my closing date for the final punch list walk-through, the home was a disaster. Broken windows, completely wrong countertops, missing trim and vents on the exterior, walls and Sheetrock not straight, doors misaligned, baseboards not matching up, garage door paint peeling off, stucco around the entire home cracking and missing control joints and the list goes on. The number of errors and mistakes on the home that I have had to point out throughout the process they should have paid me to be the construction manager.

As I was in the house one day doing an unannounced walk-through and complaining about the awful quality of a Toll Brothers home, one of the area managers was meeting with my construction manager outside, and I overheard him saying “this home is really bad”. And the 5 times I’ve been back to see the finished repairs something else is damaged or wasn’t fixed right hoping I would just overlook it and forget. I also have nothing but terrible things to say about Toll Brothers Mortgage. I should have read reviews online before starting the process with them but they offered the best incentive money given the current market so I blindly went forward with them.

Now looking back and seeing their 1.3 Star rating out of 5 online I would have steered clear. Having a unique work situation just recently changing jobs and getting with them late in the process of closing on the home I was worried everything could get done and closed. They mentioned there would definitely be some hurdles to get through, but reassured me they could get it done for me. They got the loan approved. I locked in the rate with them. And the loan officer worked very hard to get everything to work. I signed the closing disclosure and the day before the final signing and move in they declined the loan and forced me to find outside financing and forfeit the lender credit, rate buydown credit, and current rate I had locked with them.

My wife and I had moved out of our current home that same day expecting to move into our new home. Now forced to find other accommodations for the coming weeks as we search out approval from other lenders and living out of our moving truck. It’s now been one month from our initial closing date and paid thousands in moving and storage expenses and still not in the home we are being forced to buy or lose our earnest deposit and cost of upgrades. And given the extra month of time, they still haven’t completed the punch list of items needing to be done on the house to close.

After Toll brothers mortgage declined us everyone from the company went silent and were not looking to help us one way or another. We got a very simple email stating to get financed asap and close on the horrible quality, unfinished home or pay us the money. Which we are still working through. If you’re looking to build a new home. Do your research like I wish I had and avoid Toll Brothers and Toll Brothers Mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I was delighted to purchase a home in Cascina Ranch by Toll Brothers. However, there are sooo many errors and mistakes on behalf Toll Brothers that it has been a nightmare for us. I sincerely regret purchasing this house. Our house was not built according to the the blueprints. Electrical outlets were missed or do not work. My bathroom upgraded fixtures were faulty and as a result I could not turn off the water in my tub. The paint on all the houses in this subdivision is spotty. My hardwood floors were ruined and as a result we had to stay in a hotel for three weeks while they were replaced. Light fixtures are not centered. My toilets were used by the trades while the house was being built. Every time they come in to fix something, they damage something. Every time there is something that was missed, has to be repaired or replaced I have to take off work. I have burned up 6 vacation days due to no error of my own.

Toll Brothers MAY have been a reputable company in the past but they are no longer. Any time you speak with a Toll Brother representative, record them. They lie consistently as if you don't know what you are talking about or can't remember what was said to you! Most of the people who work for them can't even afford a Toll Brothers homes but want to tell you what it is you don't understand. If you purchase a Toll Brothers home, get your own home inspection. It will be worth it to you. They have nice floorplans, but can't deliver a turn-key home to its purchasers. I stand by my word. Alfrieda

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I wanted to write this review on behalf of myself and several neighbors. We talk. Toll Brothers has a reputation for quality home building and customer service pre-sale. What you need to know is that - especially with new builds- once the sale is closed they become extremely shady about getting things fixed or corrected and who’s liable for it. We’ve had leaks, missing radiant barriers, and a variety of small fixes that needed to be done in our first year and they have been hard to schedule, elusive, and accusatory.

We are not alone on our block. All this to say that if you buy a home, make sure your final walk through is as thorough as possible and don’t count on efficient, responsive service once it’s done. If we could go back, we would have chosen another builder even though we love our house. The customer care department is awful. Know this going in. I am located at the Aviano property in Skye Canyon, Las Vegas.

Toll Brothers Company Information