1.3/5 (234 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About K Hovnanian Builders

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

K Hovnanian Builders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

Worst mistake I’ve ever made is buying a home from these con artists. Their GC, Gennaro finds it appreciable to trespass on private property to call the owners “entitled,” yelling profanities in front of children and completely escalating to a scene after asking him to leave our property. That’s not even the worst of it, the quality of this home is atrocious, rusty nails sticking out of the kitchen cabinets, a safety hazard; holes in the soffit; paint overspray on every surface of the home; broken doors. The list goes on and on. They push to close with promises of correcting the many issues, but all lies. RUN from this builder!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I purchased a new home from K Hovnanian in August 2022. It's the biggest mistake I have made in my adult life. The construction quality is as bad as you can imagine, and they fight you every step of the way on warranty issues. After 5 months I still have outstanding warranty issues. One of my neighbors tried to organize all of us to file a Class Action Lawsuit against K Hovnanian, but why bother. They have an army of Lawyers that will just paper you to death. They built a beautiful, flawless Model Home, but our homes are full of defects and poor quality workmanship. They could have stepped up and tried to make it right, however they have treated us like garbage.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Be aware of this builder, they do not want to accept warranty claims whatsoever. One of our vent pipes on our roof was installed incorrectly without a collar which led to water draining down the pipe and rotting our roof decking. K. Hovnanian sent out a roofer to look at the issue and damage. They came up with every excuse to avoid the claim and ended up blaming the nails that held the vent on and said it's home owner maintenance when clearly it was installed incorrectly. I hired my own roofer to come out and he said it was clear the damage was caused by the missing collar. Both roofers did agree on one thing and that's the fact that it was installed incorrectly.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I purchased my home from KHov on September 16th, 2022. 14 days later, there was a sewage backflow that caused urine and fecal matter to contaminate my master bathroom and my master closet. KHov's construction manager came out with a plumber and tried to tell us that their cleanup remedy was to sanitize the floors, carpets, and baseboards that were contaminated with the fecal matter and urine water. After complaining that this was unacceptable, they called a remediation company to come out. This company then bagged up our personal contents and threw them in our home garbage bags and disposed of them in our household garbage cans. This consisted of suits, jackets, shirts, shoes, towels, etc. KHov then decided that they will come out the following week to inspect the plumbing lines. The remediation company left fans and a humidifier to dry out the bathroom.

Sunday morning, the sewage back flowed again, this time in the master bathroom (again) and my front bathroom. The same issue, more fecal matter, toilet paper, and urine contaminated water in the shower and bathtubs. A different plumber comes out, removes a toilet, and finds construction debris, sheetrock layers, and construction rags in the plumbing pipes. The remediation company has to come back out and throw away more personal belongings and add more fans to the home.

For weeks, we have been fighting with KHOV to do the right thing. We received a delinquent bill notice from the remediation company saying there was a failure of non-payment on our end. We have yet to have the baseboards fixed, and KHOV has repeatedly refused to pay for our personal belongings that were damaged due to their negligence. There is no reason I should be filing an insurance claim 14 days after moving in to the home. It is absolutely disgusting that sewage was in our home and KHOV tries to just sanitize fecal matter and urine in my home. Refusing to replace belongings that were damaged by their negligence should not be left to me.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

We bought the Colorado model in Woodbridge, VA in 2017 for over $650,000. Less than five years later, (1) the plastic water hose connecting the toilet to the wall leaked and needed a plumber (KHov should have used metal hoses instead of cheap plastic ones). (2) The shower head (even brand new ones) leaked continuously causing constant pink mold to grow no matter how many times the shower stall was bleached. The shower tiles and walls had to be removed and replaced since the leak originated behind the wall in the pipe regulator (see picture), which was again the result of cheap parts. (3) Also, the GE dishwasher broke down during Year 3. People who spend over $650,000 on a brand new house should have at least five years of peace before major appliances break down! I love the layout of the house but hate that KHov buys the cheapest parts that break down soon after the warranty expires.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

I've owned many homes in my adult life and had 3 homes built. The experience with K Hovnanian was my worst, by far. They build a shoddy home and then when there are issues, use every excuse to not honor any warranties. We actually won arbitration against them, which cost us $700 to do. After "winning," we find out they refused to fix the problem properly so in order to get them to fix it properly we would have to take them to another arbitration and pay another $700.

We finally told them we would use our own excavator and pay out of pocket. Basically any warranty you have with them is completely useless and they limit their liability in their contract by forcing you to go to arbitration and not a regular court hearing. I can't say enough bad about this company. I even reached out to every contact I could find (probably 10 people) in the hopes that someone would help me above the warranty guy, who was a complete jerk. No one would help. They literally don't care. Use anyone else but this company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

Recent bought a home from K Hovnanian, too many issues and defects with the quality. Still under 1 year warranty, and told me would fix those "small" things. But keep it delaying it. Not very responsible and keep pushing back the date. Very poor quality, cut corners..

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

We recently purchased with KHOV in Pender Oaks community, Virginia. We paid deposit in Jan 2022, for August delivery of home which got pushed to September end due to supply chain shortages. When we paid the deposit we asked for couple of changes (had to be done 3 days after deposit) which were not taken care of. We had to follow up multiple times later on and had to give up on a couple of items. Our realtor couldn't be present during closing and had provided required information reg. commission details to be put in the agreement before she left. We close on the house only to realize this was not included.

When we tried to follow up they are refusing the acknowledge that they got email from realtor with the details. Now common, we have received it, it's in our inbox
    with correct khov email addresses and khov doesn't receive it. At least acknowledge it's a mistake and every mistake has a fix. They don't want to do anything
    now as the contract is closed. I guess the management is not informed of it or they're involved too in this as ultimately buyer is at the receiving end.
    Not expecting that KHOV will solve our problem after seeing this review, but want to alert fellow home buyers to stay away from KHOV. Wish I had seen

all reviews reg. KHOV before we went ahead with the purchase. Disappointed!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

IN 2021, we purchased a KHov home located in Sussex County, Delaware. From Day One, it has been the worst example of poor quality home construction that I have ever seen. I have had three new homes built in my life and I've owned several others since 1978, so this is saying something. Follow-up on issues has been excruciatingly slow. Progress is slowly being made to get the house where it should be, thanks to a newer and more effective Service Manager, but it's been a very time-consuming and arduous process.

We have reported several dozen issues. Here are a few of the more egregious examples:

- The foundation was not level in one corner of the house, causing bowed walls, significantly uneven and spongy flooring, and other attendant issues. The contractor sent out first tried to tell us nothing could be done. After escalation to a higher-level KHov manager and the trade manager, the problem was finally diagnosed and later fixed.

- A ceiling crack and multiple drywall creases that has appeared in many of the homes with this particular model was traced, in part, to the builder forgetting to install about 70 H-clips on the trusses. The repair and resulting drywall/paint work took a solid three days, some during which we could not use the kitchen or great room. Once the repair was done, the crack returned in less than a month.

- Total lack of floor joist support in two adjacent areas led to floor sagging and broken door jambs. The builder neglected to place shims between the concrete pillar in the crawlspace and the joists.

- Floor sagging in other areas led to the bathroom countertop sinking and tiles cracking multiple times in the shower. The mirror on the wall at this location also cracked from stresses placed on it.

- A handrail at the steps from the home to the garage broke the first time it was used and injury nearly occurred. The handrail had simply been glued together with no nails to hold it together and no brackets to support it. Rather than send someone to fix this, I was sent a bracket and told to install it myself.

- We loaded plates, glasses, and so forth into the kitchen cabinets starting on the day we moved in. Every shelf in one cabinet collapsed down on each other after setting objects on them. It turns out that the installers had shaved the shelves to make it faster to install them. New shelves were sent to me and I was expected to install them.

- The water table is very high in this area and sump pumps are required to keep the crawlspaces dry. Ours burned out a few weeks after moving in. This occurred because a crew had dumped about five gallons of concrete into the hole where the sump was, causing it to clog and burn out.

These are just a smattering of the quality failures we have experienced. To make matters worse, KHov would close out our service requests once they reached a certain age without confirming the work had been done. I had to submit new ones and periodically keep an eye out for incorrectly-closed requests. Crews were also scheduled for repairs on three occasions without telling us in advance. They showed up unannounced, expecting us to be home and available for several hours.

Another problem is that their only ticketing system for service requests is for warranty work. Anything that the builder initially did incorrectly is supposed to be handled between the owner and the Construction Manager. Our Construction Manager was totally unresponsive to issues we reported, even though they were still building homes in the neighborhood. I escalated to the Warranty Service Manager to have the problems corrected.

All of this is a terrible shame because KHov does have a lot of home models with superior designs. We love what our home has to offer and we live in a great neighborhood. The sales process was very smooth and we were regularly updated during construction. I find myself wondering if everything will smooth out after our first two years in the house or that we may find ourselves the owner of a home with ongoing maintenance issues beyond the warranty periods.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

My home building experience with KHov in Mt. Pleasant has been unfortunately nothing short of disappointing. The pre-sales process was rushed and riddled with threats of increasing price if signature didn't happen right away, I agreed to purchase a spec home with no option for any selections as the selections were already made, but, with this came the commitment from Khov of a shorter close window due to the process having already begun, we are now already a month past the original close date outlined in the contract, and Khov now will not commit to any updated close date. The builder communication is extremely lacking, I only receive updates when I request them, even though I have been told I would receive updates weekly, this does not happen.

Inspections continue to push with no explanation, even when requested, answers provided are either vague or contradictory to what was stated last time, it's obvious they are behind but they are not owning it or organized in any way. Every time I speak to someone about my home, no one seems to know what is actually going on. In the pre-dry wall walk through, large items such as the kitchen island being the incorrect size was wrong, which the project manager didn't even realize, I had to point it out to HIM. They are disorganized, unprofessional, and they are taking advantage of having the upper hand assuming we are boxed in with our earnest deposit.

I am actively working with a lawyer now to lay out my options, Khov has made it clear they do not care if I walk from the deal and I lose my earnest $ of $50k, at this point, I now have rate locks I will be accountable to, increase in rent, and the emotional stress with the holidays coming, it's simply not worth it. I will be most likely walking. I say, just don't get involved with this company, there are plenty of other builders in this area that will treat you like a human, have open and HONEST communication, and own their mistakes, this isn't how it should be.

K Hovnanian Builders Company Information