K Hovnanian Builders

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If you are considering using this builder my advice is to RUN not walk away from this company. In 2016 we spent many hours with this company to choose a plan, pick interiors and start a build on our lot. Their base pricing on the homes is very low but beware! EVERYTHING we wanted to change/add became a very expensive upgrade. You want almond light switches instead of white... UPGRADE! You want a kitchen that's not cheap garbage... UPGRADE!! You want flooring other than cheap sheet vinyl... UPGRADE!! You want a drain in your garage floor. $380.00. A plug for your microwave over the stove. $155.00

The UPGRADE racket never ends. Upgrade charges are totally ridiculous, truly ripping off the customer. Their charge to add a pocket door was 14 times higher than we were charged by a second builder we finally went with. Be prepared to do all the legwork with your permits, utilities and lot preparation. It's all on you and they offer no support.

We had to give a $50,000+ down payment before they would start the dig. Then they brought in an Unlicensed Excavator to start the dig. When I brought this to their attention they just blew if off and didn't even check into the matter. After the dig started they began telling us there were serious issues with the lot, even though there were 50 some other houses all around that have been standing for 15-20 years with no problems. They wanted an additional $50,000 or more (they wouldn't give a firm number until they began additional work) to do extra foundation work. In other words, "you people need to open your pocketbooks to us so we can rob you further!"

When we said we couldn't afford that extra money but after calling in a soil engineer and coming up with a less expensive option, they refused that option and terminated our agreement because we wouldn't go the $50,000+ option. Now it gets even better. They terminated the contract but won't refund our $50,000 deposit. They want to keep $12,000 for salesman commissions, digging 3 little holes with an unlicensed contractor, upgrades they said they already ordered and even $800 for silt fence which costs $20 at Home Depot.

We even hired an attorney who did us no good. Remember they have their high powered attorneys working day and night to rip you off, so exhausted and emotionally drained, we finally ended this nightmare by agreeing to a $7000.00 settlement with them. Only then did we get the rest of our money back. So after 5 weeks, countless sleepless nights, many tears and being physically ill we were able to be done with Hovnanian Builders. We are probably lucky in that reading other reviews here their work can be very shoddy. So expensive lesson learned... RUN away while you can.

My husband and I went into Embrey Mill looking for a place to call home, close to work. We came across an Advertisement on Re/Max Gateway stating this particular K. Hov house was for sale, and to "Join us for our President's Day Sale, Feb 11th & 12th and learn about our Pick 3 Options for FREE Incentive! Hurry in, this incentive ends Feb 20th!" Eager, we made an appointment the next day to see this house. It was simple but it was in the right location. So we asked the sales manager Susan, "If we put in an offer on this house, what are our options for the incentives. EX: None of the upstairs rooms had lights (prewired but no lights), the basement was not finished, every room was carpeted, the kitchen looked like it was missing cabinets. So if we could get this house for $435K and knock out 3 items of this punch-list, if would be worth the investment."

Susan: "Ma'am, it's $10K worth of incentives, but instead, we already took the $10K off the list price." Me: confused "...what?" (Re/Max AD): Date created: 11/10/16 $435,165 List price: 11/10/16 $435,165. Me: "There is no record stating there is a $10K reduction in price, or a slash in the website, or a date changed since the day it was listed back in Nov 2016." Susan: "That's because we decided to put the $10k price drop in when we listed it." Me: "That means you listed it for $435,165. There is no record of a price reduction."

Susan then proceeded to tell me that the Ad, was an 'Old Ad' and did not apply. (Today is Feb 6th) President's Day is in 2 weeks. Then Susan told me there was a disclosure that covered their end. I proceeded to then screen shot every ad I saw, with every fine print detail; there was no disclosure. Then Susan told me their Ad did not apply to spec homes. The house was not a spec home, it was a contract where financing fell through. Later she told me there was 'no incentive'. With every excuse in the book out there, after also questioning where I saw the 'so-called' Ad, I asked to speak with someone above her. She told me someone would call me the next day. Right After, I screen shot 5 different websites and close-ups of fine print with All the same Ad. (EX: Re/Max, Long & Foster, Realtor, Redfin...) She also mentioned Re/Max Gateway was the agency they listed with. (So my websites were spot on.)

The next day 2/5/2017 12:35 pm the website was amended. Disclosures were added. "Listing updated" 2/5/2017 6:41 PM. I also received a phone call from the region sales rep the next day, that repeated to be disrespected and avoided to acknowledge the 'False Advertisement' or the 'Bait and Switch' tactic used. The Region Sales Rep then proceeded to tell me, "We all make mistakes." Me: "Yes, but I would still like you to honor your advertisement."

In circles we went with most of the same excuses and a few new ones, and they are still trying to have me at a halt, so they don't send me up to the next manager. The Region Sales Rep did say she understood where I was coming from, and every excuse she threw out, was one that could be backed up by a screenshot. Long story short, if they lie about something as simple as an Ad to get the sale started, I would hate to find out what else they're hiding. Screenshots below. K.Hov Stafford, VA is not where I would want to call 'home'. The false advertising in this neighborhood needs to stop.

Not all you read from the reviews are necessary true. We gave K Hov a benefit of the doubt in spite of bad reviews. So our journey begins. We are approved 25% down for a conventional loan, using K Hov in house financing with 25,000.00 incentive, by using their very own. Very exciting. Next step, went to design center, and wasted our time due to an inexperience design person. She did not show all the options. So, we have to change our design person and finally pick what we like. As months go by, we are getting excited and told K Hov that instead of putting down 25% we will put down 300,000.00. Two weeks before closing, we got an email from K Hov that the mortgage company is switching us from conventional loan to FHA loan, due to me, switching job. My point is we signed an agreement, as conventional loan not FHA loan.

I think K Hov switched us to FHA loan, so if we did not agree, we are in default and they can keep our 10,000.00 earnest money. If there's no way out, and agree with FHA loan, K Hov will make money out of us, thru the premium, pmi and escrow. Also in addition, we had a walk through, the whole house needs repair and tons of patch job. We went again for a final walk through, still not acceptable and they are still ordering parts. The paint job is horrible. You can see, where the wall meets the ceiling, it's not a straight line. The back splash under the cabinet is empty about 3/4 of an inch, because the builder said if they cut the tile to fill the gap, it will break. So, I suggested that Home Depot or tile center has a glass edging similar to that, but instead, the builder put a section, about 11 inch long stainless steel rod, all the way under the cabinet. It looks likes a patch job to me, for the sake of covering the gaps.

Okay, let's go to the master bath. We have double sink and of course we have 2 vanity lights. The lights are not even leveled. The contractor said he will it have it fix. When we checked it's crooked. He said maybe the cleaning crew, bump it. So, I asked him, "Will I be straightening the fixture every time I dust too?" What I'm saying is, this is not my first, my second, third house and etc... We are buying a new house not a existing house. There should be quality control according to their presentation but K Hov builders is a failure... I would not recommend K Hov to anybody.

K Hovnanian is not trustworthy and poor builder. I live in a K Hov's luxury home K-Line neighborhood and closed on my home on 10/2013. I noticed a water spot in my garage ceiling about 10 months ago and I was told that it was "condensation" by the warranty manager. Now, I have a big leak into my garage from the ceiling. The leakage is either from the roof or the drainage pipes that drained my flat roof. The entire roof over the garage drains into 1 pipe with an overflow pipe (poor architecture and engineering design).

I called the warranty department and they told me that it was over the warrantied period of 2 yrs. and that I was on my own. I believe that this leakage is from poor workmanship either from the roofers or plumbers who installed the drainage pipes. The Bosch refrigerators they put into the homes have had issues with the icemaker. Numerous homes in the neighborhood had problems. The other owners got fed up and bought new fridges. I was persistent enough after 1 yr and they finally changed it out. Voila, ice!!! If these are their luxury K-Line Homes then I would be afraid what their regular homes would be like.

My husband and I had recently looked and almost signed for a new construction in Norton Lake, IL. We had gone through everything with the sales associate and put down the refundable $5000 check to hold our lot for 5 days. Our house had been discounted significantly due to incentives including using the K Hovnanian mortgage company (discount of $65,000). I thought something seemed fishy then, but just left it alone.

After we handed our check to the sales agent, she offhandedly told us that there was a couple that had just put down money to hold a standard lot, but that they said they might change their mind and want the walkout premium lot (the one we had just reserved). My husband and I thought we were really lucky that we got the lot when we did.

After we applied for their mortgage company, we got a call back stating we didn't qualify. We were shocked. We were putting 300,000 down on a 515,000 house. We called back, asking if we put 400,000 down, could we get the loan. The lady said "yes, but you'll have to get an FHA loan." What?? For a house that's getting 80% down upfront??! We think we weren't a desirable mortgage candidate because they wouldn't make a ton of interest money off of us since we were putting so much down up-front, and using THEIR mortgage company.

Then, my husband called and asked if we could get the contractual agreement ahead of time so our lawyer could look at it before we signed it. The sales rep told us that our lawyer couldn't look at it until after we signed it. What?? Then what's the point? Finally, the final and third strike was when the sales rep called back saying there was a custom home builder interested in buying our lot from K Hov that we had reserved. The agent said she could send a realtor to our current house to see what we were going to list it at and if it listed for enough, then K Hov would continue with the sale with us, but if our current house wasn't worth enough they were going to cancel our reserved lot.

That story seemed very very shady since the whole mortgage and lawyer thing happened earlier that exact same day. We think that whole story was a sham, and they were trying to discourage us from continuing, since they wouldn't make as much money off of us versus another customer with a higher mortgage loan. I personally think the couple that thought they might want the walkout basement earlier, came back and expressed interest in it after we reserved it. K Hov probably determined they'd make more off of them than us. Three strikes. They're out. We're picking up our check tomorrow. Good riddance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?

A home is the most important purchase of our life, and working with this company my family has had the most unpleasant experience we could possibly ask for. There is almost no communication or quality control with the builder and we were forced to visit our home daily. The super that was given to us had very little or non new home construction experience and had no notes in meetings nor rarely completed corrections from subs mistakes. We found a lack of budget control and transparency and a lack of attention to detail as well as making this the most painful experience of our life as well as continued quality control issues. We still don't have our Certificate of Occupancy. As well as dirty and mold on antique beams.

Problems with home: Cracked tile, uneven foundation, drywall deteriorates, flat paint in bathrooms, exterior stucco cracking and falling off, cheap exterior paint, electrical outlets cheap, small kitchen sink, kitchen cabinets shallow, bathroom sinks poor quality as well as faucets throughout house, garage is hot, cheap A/C system, poor insulation, cheap windows, can hear neighbors talking with windows closed, sliding glass doors poor quality, ripped homeowners off by underestimating HOA fees and then raised the fees twice in a short period, poor management company, concrete driveways poor, tile not sealed, GE appliances junk, poor excuses and lies with faulty construction, and the list goes on and on. Run away from these crooks.

Comparing with people who went through the agonies of both the processes of buying house from K Hovnanian and actual moving in, feeling awful afterwards, I was a luckier one. I only suffered from the buying process. In September 2016, I sold my home with escrow close date early in October. My wife and I drove 2 hours to one of the sales offices of K Hovnanian home in Sacramento, we came across with a sales agent named John. After about 10 minutes talk in his office, John asked if I had a buyers agent, I said yes. All by sudden he stood up and dynamically pointed to the office window, saying: "look, the buyers agent has to be with buyer at the first time office visit." His quick move and tone really surprised me. I asked him who would be my buyers agent if I didn't have one, he said it would be him.

I told him that I was interested in a house listed on the offices flyer, he immediately rejected my request and saying that because he was new to the office he did not know how to do it. I asked: "is it difficult to add me to the list? I'll give the deposit." Suddenly again, he said: "how do I know you are not here to set me up?" I felt totally at loss and was speechless at that moment, so we left his office. I really don't understand at all why John felt offended. Quite a few of my friends who did their homework on the internet and visit the sales office first, and then have their buyers agents started the buying process.

We went to another K Hovnanian office later on, and found a Quick Move-in house, which as the office flyer indicates, would be ready for me to move in in the middle of the October, just a week after my escrow end date. This time I happened to talk with a sales agent Vickie. Who seemed to be a nice, fast talking lady, but it turned out that I was wrong about the company once again and I was left with awful experience. Vickie has an atmosphere of being patronizing, she claimed that she would do bargain for me on the house price that she wrote on paper and showed to me, which really surprised me, because the office flyer shows that the current price was much less expensive. So I argued and she withdrew.

When she was showing the model home, she pointed to the items here and there, such as the upgraded handles, saying that quite a few upgrading were due to her personal requests and would be no charge to the buyer. Later on, I got to know that all those upgraded items were included in the deal that the company offered. Buyer of the house would not have normal options, all the basic features were predetermined or buyer has to pay extra fees. For example, buyer has to pay $3000 for the change of the kitchen cabinets color. The company also offered ten thousand dollars off from the basic price. During conversations, Vickie's fast talking sounded like she was reciting the pre-prepared texts, unless I repeated my questions, I would not get my question answered.

Even though I saw the obvious reasons as why the company was offering such a deal, considering my senior age and the extra expenses in the waiting period, I decided to take this quick move-in offer over other houses for which I would have to wait for quite a few months until the move-in day. Since I would be a cash payer, Vickie explained that the cash payers would have to deposit 10% of the price which was around 5 times as much as a loan borrower, but she promised she would personally talk with the company into accepting me as a loan borrower. This made me a sort of thankful to her that time. As she asked, I submitted the contract signed between me as the seller of my house and the buyer, plus my bank account savings.

At signing the contract, Vickie applied the discount and put the calculated price in the contract for me to sign. I signed accordingly however, a minute later, I accidentally saw across the table the actual price showing on her computer system, I asked for the reason as why the calculation base was in such a difference, which ended up for me to pay much more. This time she insisted in the one she wrote on the paper. I don't think anyone would do differently in my situation but to give in as I did. I really don't understand why she could have such a power over the company's documents.

Now, the contract was signed, and it seems the most urgent issue for the home moving was resolved and we could focus on packing up and ordering the furniture delivery service. However, the scheduled move-in date was first postponed from the middle of October to the end of the month. Nevertheless, this two weeks delay was somewhat bearable to me. We tried to book a cruise trip, so we could find the temporary home on the boat. But the problem kept going, in her later update email, Vickie indicated that the move-in date was further delayed to somewhere in November. Above all, no date in November was specified. This really created big distress to us in financial, physical and mental aspects.

As a senior couple we really couldn't figure out how to handle the change. I asked if the company could help us in any ways, i.e. give us some financial compensation, to relieve a bit of our tough situation. I only got the accusation of being default in the 10% cash deposit, despite of the fact I already gave a check of $7000, as the loan borrower should do, and the check was already cashed by the company. The only explanation received from her was that the construction company lacked of the workers. After the evaluation of my situation, I responded to her that I would like to cancel the deal.

The company represented by Vickie infinitely postponed the move-in date, and no compensation provided, this actually shifted their problems to me as a consumer. The company shows no work ethics or morality to consumers. Fortunately I got the $7000 back in 3 weeks. This is why I said I am a kind luckier one. I wished I had checked this website first and seen so many buyers are complaining before all these ugly things happened to me. I will be happy to see if anyone would escalate these cases to the perspective of law.

I should have listened to the people on Consumer Affairs. Do not go for the 50' K Hovnanian/Brighton homes in silver ranch subdivision, Katy, TX. Their construction quality is 2nd suckiest to none. They hire construction managers who are not even fit to be in a construction site. Run with your money. Do not fall for what their sales people say. Awful awful awful. They forgot to complete the brick work on my walls for god sakes. The construction bitches about his wife while we were doing our walks in the property. I suggest everyone to stay away from K Hovnanian. Let them rot. I don't have any grudge against them personally, but why would someone run a business like that. I wish I could name people.

The construction workers will scratch, dent and desecrate your bathtubs and toilet bowls. The construction manager will always say the issues have been resolved, but they will not be. They lie to your face. Hard working brothers and sisters, do not go for this **. Not at all worth your money. I am going to regret my decision all my life unfortunately. You still have time. Oh! And they hire illegal immigrants to work on these properties, so go figure!!

We bought the new house from them and the floor is in really bad shape. I asked the repair guy from their company to do the repairing, every time they just told us that they will do the job, just keep saying a lot of good but never really do anything for almost half a year! E.g., we need some extra wood to do the job, they always tell you the wood has already arrived and only need a couple of days to ship to your house, but it never come. When I talk with them, they will simply say another two or three days, they already kept lying to me for almost half a year. One of the building manager agree to us to reimburse some payment that we did by ourselves, but after a couple of days, he just disappears, never answer the phone and email. I know he still work in the company, but just try to avoid talking with us. We still haven't get our reimbursement back.

I can't believe these people are still in business. We bought our lovely brand new home (LOL) in 2001. They actually carpeted over a big hole in the subfloor in our living room. You could see the ground when they pulled the carpet up! Then the supervisor made a joke about a gold bracelet on the ground, which there was not. My husband had just retired from the Army, and his new job brought us here. We never heard of this company since we were new in the area. Months later we noticed floor in the kitchen was sinking in the middle. The cabinets were leaning towards the center. A guy came out and jacked the floor up 3/4 ". For any construction worker, you know this is way too much and would jack up the cabinets in the kitchen. Which it did. And, they refused to fix what they broke.

We also had a wall that was bowed beyond limits. The supervisor came out to fix it. He opened the wall, cut through the 2 by 4 and didn't realize the hot and cold lines were on both sides of the wood. Therefore, it created a major flood on our bottom floor. He called in a code RED. You don't want to know what that means! Unfortunately, we still live here. I seriously believe that there is no insulation within the outer walls. I am too scared to know the truth. Not sure what it would cost to open it open to find out.

We bought a new home in Georgia and never had any problems whatsoever. I was told by one of their employees, "I guess this house makes up for it". That was referring to since we didn't have any problems on our new home in Georgia, this is what we get. UNREAL. To say the least, I kicked him out of my house. NO KIDDING! Plus, he was here to fix something. You really can't make this stuff up. There is so much more going on with this house, I don't know what to say, but beware. PLEASE DON'T EVER BUY A HOME FROM THESE!!! YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE THE NIGHTMARE! THEY HAVE QUITE A BIT OF HISTORY IN NC! Unfortunately, we found out too late. We had only been in NC for 3 months. Don't let it happen to you. RUN! I wish we had the technology in 2001, that we do today.

I closed on my home in January of 2012. Just shortly after moving in I had several problems with things with the home. The first is the master bedroom toilet will overflow when flushed. I contacted the property manager's office and was told to contact the plumber that they had suggested and they informed that I would have to pay the plumber. It turned out that the builders had left pieces of shipping crate in the toilet in the sewer line. I was not charged for the work. On my first year anniversary in my new home I decided to get an outside property Inspector to inspect my home. I had many items that was in need of repair. The main one is the Walls (interior & exterior). The walls are observed visually for Structural performance and water penetration.

Crack corners and wider than normal separations between the Hardie was observed on the left, right and rear side of the house; repair needed. The construction manager sent someone over and they installed caulking between the oversize gap in the hardie board, now the cracked and separated hardie boards are all over my home and the K Hovnanian warranty manager informed me that this is now out of my 2 year warranty, yet this was reported in my first years and they did a poor job by filling the gap in the boards with caulking.

The large crack are all over my home. The boards are cracked in many placed and the manager is telling me that caulking is needed. The property inspector wrote in his report that this should be replaced due the installation was not correctly installed (wider than normal separation between Hardie). I will not accept their decision not to repair this item, stating that the 2 year warranty has expired. They did a poor and wrong job from the start.

If you are looking for the most unpleasant experience you could possibly ask for, K Hovnanian is the builder for you. Thankfully, I was able to get out before they actually built anything for me; however, it was at a cost of over $6000. I suppose that is completely understandable as I was afforded the opportunity to choose the finishes for the home; a process that took all of a couple hours.

I can only describe their sales staff as incompetent. I had to wait for days for responses to simple questions several times. I'm not a home builder, but I do come from a family that has construction experience which was an issue when I was able to ask intelligent questions. Each one was met by a blank stare from both my original salesperson (which I had to basically fire) and the sales manager (which was their replacement for the original salesperson).

I made my specifications quite clear, to the letter in fact as I had to communicate through email with them in order to make sure that everything was documented throughout the process. When it came time to review the final plans for the project, there were several items that were not addressed, or "carry an additional fee". These were changes that were discussed throughout the process, were quoted (incorrectly I'd come to find out) and then omitted from the plans. I could go on and on about the reasons not to deal with this company but I will leave you with the following: My story above which luckily led me away from this builder albeit at my expense.

An co-worker used K Hovnanian. Her home was completed almost 8 months ago and her punchlist (which they say will be handled within 30 days of closing) is still outstanding and no one at K Hovnanian will return her calls. Another co-worker recently began working with this company despite our advice. Once he got into the process, he too found them to be cheats. On his initial visit, he explained that he would not be breaking ground before spring to avoid additional costs associated with heating the home (which you must do yourself) nor did he want concrete work to take place during the winter months. They told him "no problem, just pay the $500 deposit and we can schedule accordingly."

Once he paid the deposit, to lock in the "Special Pricing" (something we all three had in common with the mind you) K Hovnanian explained that he would need to begin work this year or lose the special pricing and $500 deposit. These people are despicable. Save yourself the headache and go to another builder. Building a new home should be joyful experience. Not the case with K Hovnanian.

Here is the link to the Facebook page that I created describing our less than favorable experience with K Hovnanian in southeast Florida. **. We never envisioned that our retirement dream home could be transformed into a nightmare. If you want to fill your retirement with trying to get what you paid for, buy a home from Khov. Thankful to be done with them and now just paying it forward. Remember that this is time from your life that you will never get back. Parkland Khov Four Seasons, BEWARE... BTW how is it that they don't tell you that you are next to the everglades, home of the state bird of Florida, the Mosquito...

I am now a new owner of a KHOV home in Newark, CA at Cedar Lane. I did not research this builder and I’m regretting it every day I live in my new home. And in my opinion the home is dangerous... At the top of the staircase is the location of the washer and dryer. There is a small landing about 10 feet wide and 4 feet deep between the stairs and washer and dryer. Your back is to the stairs when doing laundry. If one is not mindful of the danger, they may fall backwards down the stairs and break their neck. Sadly, there is a chance someone at this development will be hurt by this "unknowingly" designed in danger. See the "Willow" home layout on their website.

I also have a long list of open issues with my new home and a could-care-less attitude from the people on-site building the rest of the development. It seems like every day, I open a cabinet door or look at ceiling vent or a wall plate to unveil another case of poor quality work and shortcuts to save themselves time during the build. Let's keep in mind this is an $800,000 home.

If you are considering buying a KHOV home, do your homework, read the reviews on this site and others. Know what you are getting yourself into. I wish I had found this site before I walked into their model homes. FYI, I did not use my real name when I signed onto this site. However, I did provide a truthful email address in case there is a need for CA to contact me.

REALTORS, CONSUMERS, EVERYONE PLEASE BEWARE OF K HOVNANIAN BUILDERS! This is the worst Builder ever!! In all my 20+ years in the industry, I have never experienced such "mafia style" treatment of buyers. First, they try to push everyone to use their lender and their title company. If you do not, then the experience becomes very unprofessional. All along, you are constantly being told... "That's why it's better to use our lender and our title company". Well, when we didn't use their people, they literally tried to sabotage the whole experience, down to not wanting to give the buyers their keys after the file had closed! These people are horrible to do business with. I never ever want to work with them again. This was a very unpleasant experience for my 1st time home buyer, thanks to K Hovnanian Builders! Please people don't do it, you will regret it!

HUGE punch list of items at closing. They did not want to fix. Inflated price that would not appraise. Improper installation of toilet flanges caused sewage leaks. PVC plumbing left in sewage line caused back up in basement that needed remediation first 30 days of moving in. Walls not straight. Wood stairs (paid extra) not properly installed. HUGE drainage issues with yard and around foundation that is sinking and has sinkholes. Would not suggest as a builder. You must be extremely diligent BEFORE closing to check everything is fixed BEFORE closing! Bad appliance offering, all broke! SHODDY workmanship everywhere.

I can't write as I am so pissed and confused why KHOV provides such a crappy product and consumer satisfaction rated zero on their list. I can't understand why KHOV Corporate stands behind their people who are basically robbing homeowners. Let me see if I can let the pictures speak to our home buying process with KHOV.

Summary of issues: Delayed closing 3 times... The last time 2 days before closing no ground electric going to the home but they have a certificate of occupancy... How's that right... If the closing was neglected due to no electricity meaning no a.c., nor way to cook, etc. Home was not moved in ready... Nor did it look anywhere close to the model that sold us on buying a KHOV home. Walk through one day before closing. Not enough time if any issues were discovered to be resolved before closing. Sales managers, construction managers, and their division president lies to consumers' face... Unmet promises and shoddy/crappy workmanship. House smells like rotten eggs.

Standing home looking into garage with lights off, lighting from outside still visible with doors closed. Painting inside and out looks like a nonprofessional did the painting. Uneven windows, window seals, and closet doors; paint messy, grouting messy. Paint on framing of windows, window seals. Front door red with white streaks from window frame painting. Some doors and closets painted and some not and throughout the doors' locking/close devices show sawdust/wood shavings which hinder locking in some cases. Master bathtub not sealed.

Baseboards, door frames and walls look like someone already lived in home before we moved in. Check inside our closets the backsides were not painted properly. Rusty brackets on closets doors hinges... misaligned. Baseboard gaps, cracks in wood, again painting issues or the lack thereof. Door devices, handles, window frames shower tiles. Front porch crazy with heap of concrete missing. Power bath no toilet paper holder/rack nor towel rack. Water not hot enough. Construction manager said, "It feels warm to him..." What does his feeling got to do with us living in home? I have listed at least some of our problems... Future buyers beware.

I bought a home from K Hovnanian almost two years ago and I'm still trying to get them to fix issues. They do not answer calls. Constantly change out foremen supervisors and use scab workers as subcontractors who have NO pride in workmanship. I have had every issue imaginable and they make me feel like I'm being a pain wanting to get my home fixed and what I paid for.

My major issues now are, I have paint overspray on my wife's car and they won't have it cleaned. My carpet that I paid almost 3000 dollars for an upgrade on is complete crap. Seams are showing, threads coming out, and shows 10 years worth of wear in less than two years. My roof has recently had a leak due to a cheap attic vent installed and it looks like the opening was cut out with an axe. They tell me it's not warrantable and I need to have it fixed myself? In less than two years? The glass of my stove fell out and I tried to have a repairman come to fix it through GE only to find out that no GE appliances can be serviced in my area. This is what the home builders are putting in everyone's kitchens. Good luck getting them fixed under warranty.

Anyway, there are too many problems to mention here and I have had almost all of them I've seen in reviews plus many many more. I suggest you buy your home from someone else. I will never refer anyone to this company as long as I live and I'll be happy to talk anyone out of buying from them. Run away while you can. Save your money for your dream home. You won't get it from K Hovnanian Homes.

We bought a house from K Hovnanian Homes a year ago in Houston, Texas and we have had several problems that were being addressed over the year. A lot of these problems were repeat issues. After nine months, we submitted a comprehensive list of issues to the management and only received a response from the company three months later. Some of the issues were addressed and we were told that the balance of the issues had to be fixed at our cost. We find this totally unacceptable and will be seeking legal assistance to resolve this matter.

The houses at K. Hovnanian's Four Seasons 55 plus senior community are priced well, but there are all the hidden cost in buying a home in this development and it makes it very expensive. The sales office is not completely honest with the hidden cost until you start signing the 3 hour page after page contract which you couldn't possibly read while signing but they do give you a 3-day right to cancel so you can take it home and review it. Upon doing this, I found all these extra tax assessments in the contract they never even mentioned. Not only are you obligated to buy flood insurance but they have about $2000.00-$2600 in Mello-Roos fees that are included in your taxes. On a $389.000 home, you would be paying close to $6700 plus in taxes. Then there are the HOA's which were clearly explained at the beginning.

If I hadn't read my contract after the fact, I never would have known about the extra assessments in this community. I really felt like they tried to hide them on purpose because when I called the sales office, I was told the tax rate is 1,2227% of the home price and was all inclusive. It is not all inclusive... not at all! Make sure READ your contract!!! All other new housing developments I have visited after this disastrous experience had the Mello-Roos, HOA, and other fees clearly available to you!

We closed on our K Hov home in late February of 2016. It is now May and we are still trying to get all of the items from our walk-through fixed. The subcontractors on this job nearly all failed to demonstrate even a mediocre work product. The home plan showed two AC units (a necessity for a 300+ sq ft home in AZ where heat can reach over 120 degrees), but we received one small unit saying it was 'a more efficient unit' - I'll believe that after our first summer without sweating.

Plumbing - two sinks weren't properly installed, leading to flooding of the kitchen sink base cabinet and one of the master sink cabinets; pot filler (which cost us over $1000) is not level and water that comes out has unknown debris in the line that won't go away; and a leak at the main (due to a crimped washer they installed) had to be repaired as well.

Electrician - when we'd visit the home during building we saw that the electrician was usually on a personal call while wiring our house. We had two switches that didn't talk to each other and a light that didn't work. All the switch plates were dented in and most were not level. The switches were upgraded to the rectangle switches, but receptacles were left as the standard round, so they don't match. We also have a switch that seems to connect to nowhere.

Painters - we own a licensed painting business so we first thought maybe we are biased, but after seeing all of the errors these are items anyone could see. Paint overspray onto our pavered entry and driveway, paint overspray on the window, flashing (where you can see a sheen change in the finish) on several doors and the wall, insufficient coverage, missed exterior spots. Overall probably the worst paint job I've ever seen - and we repaint a ton of them.

Drywall - visible seams all over the house in the drywall, uneven texture thickness throughout. K Hov allows random texture where other high-end builders require texture go in a certain direction. But even the random texture (easier to perform than a specific direction throughout) was still horrible. It took three months to get the drywall supervisor to meet at the house, then he was incredibly rude and disrespectful in our home, trying to convince us that drywall seams weren't his problem. He went so far as to tell us to hang curtains (over an upgraded multi-slide door that cost a few thousand to upgrade) so we didn't see as many of the issues. Bubbling drywall mud, insufficient coats on the seams, nails popping all over the place out of the ceiling.

Doors - upon closing, there was a door replaced to the master bath that wasn't even the same type of door as the other interior doors. That was fixed, but after seeing the awful painting, we had to leave it unfinished and paint ourselves. Another master door stuck and wouldn't close - that took two months to get replaced. We had multiple door knobs that were off, several warped doors, insufficient weather stripping etc. Once that was finally repaired, that subcontractor was the only one so far that seemed to take any pride in their work.

Landscaping - landscapers did not follow agreed plans. Used wrong color and types of plants, wrong placement. They even installed two different colors of pavers on our courtyard that will have to be redone. Flooring- not only do they only include two choices of very poor quality 12-in tile with the home, the carpet was installed over debris on the floor that I can feel underfoot when I walk on the carpet without shoes.

I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting. Vent fans make a clicking noise unless you leave them running, block wall outside wasn't properly painted, grading on front yard causes drainage issues, and the list goes on and on. I would strong encourage anyone to NOT buy from K Hovnanian Homes.

I signed a contract with K Hovnanian in February 2016 and since then I have been fighting tooth and nail to get things done. We choose the Walton floor plan with the optional study which was listed in the listing on the MLS system but was not honored because they "don't include them usually". However the sales agent was not fully aware of the price for the option but quoted around $2000 - $2500 for it but would consult with her manager for the final price. A few days later she came back with a price of $6500 - $7000 because cause they were under selling it and losing money. However because the builder did not want to build this unit they attempted to force us into another floor plan. We reluctantly accepted after agreeing to a less payment of 2500 for the option up front.

Throughout the process we inquired about other things to change and at every change the builder attempted to rip us off to the effect of $1000 for a lamp that even with labor and parts should not run more than $200 when the house was still in framing. Also we requested to not have a door installed in a bathroom and the builder attempted to charge us $500 to not install a door in case we did not want the house so someone could come in and install it.

On the financing side that is another nightmare. When you first sign the contract they will refuse to negotiate on the price. As part of the contract you will be asked to try their broker for the mortgage. We did as they asked and filled out the paperwork while running an additional mortgage company on an identical loan. With Hovnanian we were asked for information that was not relevant to the application, with them using the reason that it was required for an FHA loan but was still not required by the other company also running an FHA loan. Eventually we told the builders mortgage rep to go away as they were wasting our time. When we did this the loan processor pitched a fit saying that we had promised and so in even though no such actions were taken. As we approached the close, we signed the 30 day notice as requested under the assumption that the house would be ready on time and give use the chance to conduct our paperwork for the financing.

However the house was deemed to be ready for an appraisal originally 6 days out from the close which is not realistic. When we pointed this out we were told that their company would have been able to do so and if we failed to close by the first of the month the contract would have been canceled, but somehow the house was going to be "ready" 2 days earlier which of course it was not. Not only was the not ready for the appraisal, it came in $20,000 under the same price. As this was an FHA loan, the house is required to have grass laid out to a point per code which the builder only offered as an upgrade which no one said anything about when conducting the loan and would not have been noted on the appraisal as missing.

Finally when assembling the comps for the appraisal the builder wanted the lender to get them from Hovnanian and influence the final results. Returning to the timing issue we were given the house as noted 9 days prior to the close for the appraisal and to complete the financing. However per law the appraiser has 10 days to complete the paper work, the underwriters and lawyers have a few days to do what they need to, and only when that is complete and the closing disclosure is signed there is a 3 day period before the close can be finalized. This is all by law and Hovnanian claims that because their lender could do it, I would still be responsible for the fees and had we used their lender or comps the values would have come back high enough.

Talking to the sales manager was useless as he is simply a bully not only to the customer but his employees as well. When we escalated this to the area VP he was exactly the same, rude to his customer refusing to listen to reason. Based on my experiences with this company they are responsible for fraud, attempting to manipulate the appraisal for their benefit, as well as possible issues with extortion and attempting to violate monopoly statues by forcing you to use their lender. Other similar issues with the appraisals have happen in the area when reselling they find they are extremely upside down on the loan because K Hovnanian had inflated the appraisal. All of these issues are documented in email or contract form with the exception of the reported issues with third party people.

Our interactions with the sale rep Tiffany ** has been very enjoyable as she really seems to care about her customers and if they are happy. Above her the staff does not care about anyone and lack basic customer service skills. If you need a home and you have no other choice than going through K Hovnanian I would recommend working with a lawyer as it may help you down the line otherwise go elsewhere and I suspect they will try the same thing with you.

After what we have found we have given them the chance at coming out of this clean and with the sale by asking them to honor the appraisal value and give us the time necessary, without interference, to complete the paperwork, but based on their previous attitudes they are likely to blow us off and cancel the contract. Based on what happened with my transaction I will never do business with this builder or its subsidiaries again, and had I the choice I would never have started the relationship.

We had our home built by Khov, it was under warranty for 2 years. Within those two years we had several issues. Getting them to come back during our warranty time was like pulling teeth. After the warranty we never thought to call them again or intended on buying from them again. They are very nice when you're buying but once the honeymoon is over they don't want to know you.

One reason we picked them as a builder was of their claim of excellent craftsmanship. After the years we found many hidden things. Recently our kitchen sink started to fall out. Yes thing break after years BUT when you rig them in from new construction & don't put them in correct from the get go things happen. They glued our sink in using ceramic tiles. Basically rigged our sink with no support. When I called they said "tough, it's 8 years later so we are not fixing it". I said the problem is "you never installed it correctly" & frankly you would never know until your sink falls out. They said "this is common & we do it all the time".

I don't expect them to fix things that just wear out after time. I do expect them to fix things they never did right from the beginning. They could fix this easy or if they did it right there would have never been an issue to begin with. Do yourself a favor, don't buy from these guys. They will burn you. Our sink is falling out. From the post above apparently that's happened to others.

I have lived in my home for 8 years now and have had to fix everything in my kitchen sink area. The garbage disposal, dishwasher hook up to garbage disposal, the fake cabinet drawer under sink, the material that was under the sink fell off, and now my entire double sink has detached from the granite countertop. It is seriously obvious that whoever did the work in my kitchen was not a reputable plumber or was in a hurry. I have owned 3 other new homes and have never had any of these problems. Of course none of this is covered by their warranty and their attitude is they don't care. Not their problem. When I said that I would post my complaints they said I had that right. Again they don't care. I don't know anyone personally that has had this happen to their sink, even in much older homes.

I have had to spend a lot of money on these repairs.

I did not complain with the other issues I have mentioned here, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I also want to say that I do not use this area a lot as I do not do much cooking or even run the dishwasher that frequently. So not of this was caused by overuse. As upset as I am about the problems, their attitude is what really upsets me. There were other issues that they never took care of that resulted from the one year walk through. They did some of the fixes but never finished. I will not buy from K. Hovnanian again.

Where do I begin? From the very beginning we should have turned and walked actually ran away from this builder. First of all they raised the price of the home twice on us. Once before we could get pre-approved and then they raised the price another 7500 after we signed the initial contract. Reason was "They were unable to crunch the numbers" out of Tiffany Colbert's mouth. I truly believe that they raised the price because by this point we had an agent with us and that is about how much her check would be. Nevertheless we proceeded because we had to be out of the home that we were renting, and we also gave Tiffany and Daniel a date that we had to be out by. Daniel assured us he could have the house built by that time. Of course he wanted my husband to give them (Tiffany and Daniel) a great survey. Yes they ask that of my husband! The construction of this home took longer than was expected and promised.

There were issues the whole way through the construction and I can only imagine what it would have been like had we not looked at our home every week. The wrong flooring was installed in my master bath and once we told them they had the right flooring laid right over the wrong flooring, didn't even bother to take up the wrong flooring. My ceiling looks like it has sheetrock patch work that was done and you can see the seams where they did a poor tape and float job. A brand new home should not look like this. There was grout that was not finished, had to be done at a later date after closing. The carpet that was installed has several bumps and feels as if they did not even clean the floor before installing the carpet. We are constantly stepping on who knows what because it is under the carpet. As construction went on we were given updates emails from Daniel and then we would go see our home to find nothing had been done.

Daniel's reason was that he can babysit the workers. To be honest Daniel could stay on top of the construction more than he is. If he needs help then he needs to get help, not make the customer feel the effects of management not doing its job. Once our home was ready there were still some things not done that Daniel himself promised would be done. Our home also did not appraise for what it was being sold for. So once we asked Tiffany to see if they would come down on the price she said “No the builder wants you to cover the difference.” If they would have not increased the price twice we would not have been in that situation. Our home was still dirty and dusty when we moved in so it was not cleaned as promised. The attic areas were still full of trash that we had to clean ourselves.

Had we not been in the situation we were in to have to be out of our home by a certain date that in fact we ended up having to stay in a hotel for 2 weeks with all 4 of our children we would have walked away from this deal all together. My best advice to you is to not build with KHOV. They have not shown great customer service. They lack in that all across the board. After this horrible experience, Daniel and Tiffany had the nerve to tell us about this survey we would receive and how they needed to us to give them a great score on the most important part which was would we recommend them again. Hell no I would not want any human being to go through what my family and I went through.

From the very beginning the sales consultant was not educated on the building process or upgrades. The design center rep did not know all of the options she was able to offer. Then the big problems began. The construction manager Joe ** from the very beginning said "you are not going to get a perfect home" and kept putting words into my wife's mouth making her feel uncomfortable. During the building process every time we pointed out an error or damage he would say "you are not going to get a perfect house" and that "you are killing me" and "my bosses don't micromanage me".

Then wrong things were being installed in the house. The wood flooring was put down and they took the protective paper off within a few days. The contractors continued to walk through the house with muddy boots on damaging our new floors and nothing was done about it. The painters touched up walls without covering the floor getting paint all over the floor. The cabinets were all scratched up, the entry door frame is damaged from someone prying the door open. And a lot more issues to list. We ended up having to no longer deal with Joe because of the unprofessionalism and lack of ethic he displayed.

We get to the pre-closing walkthrough and list all items needing fixes and taped the necessary fixes. 2 whole weeks later we go to close and further damage happened to the home. They had 2 whole weeks to correct issues however declined to do any major fixes. Then there were more scratches in the floors, the blue tape was taken off the walls with nothing done to fix the issues and more damage to the walls/paint. Of all the things we listed to get fixed maybe 5 things got fixed as of date. They claim that the house was cleaned but there is still dust on all counters, light fixtures, windows were never washed, paint still on the floor, everything is still damaged but they wanted us to sign for the keys. Now they are claiming they will not fix some of the damage created by the workers they hired to build the home.

If I were anyone looking to build a home I would stay away from this builder. Inexperienced sales crew and unprofessional building staff who do not take any accountability for the work of the home. We are left with a house that is a complete disaster and can't move in until things are fixed. Attaching just a few pictures of their so-called completed home.

Do not have K Hovnanian build your home. They were 4 months late starting excavation. Their manager "Dean" threatened to not even start my house after I got upset for being 4 months late, and complaining. I am wasting money on rent and a mortgage for nothing. They later fired him. Poor workmanship, no one can speak English. The project manager "John **" promises the world, then is two weeks late on the completion date. Then he gets caught fishing. Yes fishing, instead of being on the job. Then he wonders why I give him a bad review.

I spent $145000 and this is what I get. From the sales team in Greensburg, to dealing with the service team in canton, is a nightmare. I put in a service request in November 2015, it is March 2016 and still nothing. There is one person, "Steve" who is the only person K Hovnanian has that is worth anything. I told him he needs to find another company. He is way too good for this circus. "K Hovnanian homes… turning your dreams into nightmares!!!"

Since I bought a house with K Hovnanian Home Builder in Florida, there have been construction issues due to poor quality. Low quality paint interior and exterior, tile cracking on floors, slippery tile dangerous, tile not sealed, substandard stucco, stucco cracking on side of house, low quality sinks and faucets, poor insulation, poor windows and sliding doors, no soundproofing, hot garage, air conditioner duct system not keep house cool, kitchen cabinets shallow and short for space, poor community management, rough speed bumps put into community causing chaos on cars with no signs to warn of each bump location, homeowners did not vote on speed bump issue, board of directors spent HOA fees without homeowners approval, and devalued neighborhood. WARNING: STAY AWAY FROM THIS BUILDER.

Since having our home built in 2007 by K Hovnanian, the following had to be replaced/fixed: Replacement of 3 hot water heaters; kitchen faucet had to replaced; master bath faucet had to be replaced; padding in the living room and master bedroom has ridges and the carpet does not lay flat; 5 pull chain fixtures in the basement had to be replaced after breaking; kitchen flooring is so cheap that dropping a fork on the floor causes it to tear; the basement walls leaked every time it rained hard for the first two years; the vinyl snap ring on the octagonal gable vent blew off.

10' of the ridge vent blew up and had to be re-nailed; the three bathtub turn on fixtures have broken; A/C coils in the basement are so rusty that they have clogged the condensation drain pipe twice; the light switch at the bottom of the stairs had to be replaced; the clothing rack in the master bedroom fell down. All this in 7 years. I wouldn't let K Hovnanian build me a dog house.

K Hovnanian Builders Company Profile