1.40/5
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Last updated: May 16, 2018

154 K Hovnanian Builders Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2018

Don't know where to begin. Built a home with another builder years ago (Ryan Homes). They had bad reviews online but a friend convinced me otherwise. Was the best experience. So when we were looking to upsize I ignored the reviews for K Hov online again thinking… again... could just be crabby people or isolated incidents. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made. From start to finish it has been awful. The salesperson sold me a home saying it would be done in August. She made me sign a piece of paper saying there could be construction delays due to weather, scheduling, that the date could be pushed "just a bit". Within a few weeks of signing I am told my date was moved to October. So when I asked what construction delay happened they provided me with a schedule that very clearly showed August was never feasible from the start.

This is huge inconvenience when trying to time selling/building a home. Also, when showing me the plot layout was showed two numbers she said indicated the distance from the edge of my house to the property line. Based on the numbers she said I believed I would have almost 30 feet from my neighbor. After houses went up... turns out she was pointing at the wrong numbers and I was only 10 ft from the neighbor. Never would have bought a house so on top of a neighbor. I imagine few people would. Apparently this was my fault for not knowing how to read a topo and believing they did. The difficulties got worse from there. Throughout the build our house was rarely worked on because they were busy on other houses on the street.

Turns out they were rushing to get those done early to use them as models before their homeowners moved in... yes people bought brand new houses with new carpet, etc that they finished months early and the sales reps trapesed potential buyers thru them... thru rain, sleet, snow, etc onto their new carpet. Once someone caught on that their house was being used they said "oh yeah we will compensate you" and gave them a small gift card. No other homeowners that homes were used were compensated... only the one that caught them in the act. Since our home couldn't be used as a model because it wasn't offered in the next phase they weren't working on it... until I complained and it was the very end. The project manager told me not to drive by the house... seriously.

They slapped everything together in the last few weeks... horrible mudding job... one coat of paint that looked awful, holes in walls, missing items all documented at our "gold star" walk thru. We also had scratches in our cabinet doors that they tried to pass by us with use of a sharpie. During walk thru noticed gap in ductwork next to furnace. Construction manager said he would fix - his fix consisted of tape over it to hide it. Asked city inspector to review it for safety... he red tagged it and forced them to fix it right. Since they never had power to the home until a day before our walk thru... none of the tests of the home's utilities had been done. It took 4 attempts after receiving our keys to get the HVAC working. No hot water in the shower. We have a driveway that within just a few months is cracking and flaking apart (we used the sealer they told us to).

We will need to replace the whole driveway within a few years and K Hov says... “Well it's in the fine print. We don't cover driveways and even if we did..” We reminded them this driveway was just put in... we hear that cracks and flakes are industry standard. We having stairs that creek, floors that crackle under our feet because they weren't properly installed. Paint still looks awful... they do one coat of flat paint. Be warned they like to do walkthrus late in the day so the sun isn't coming thru the windows... that way it won't be hitting the walls and you won't see where they didn't sand the mud. We have heard neighbor horror stories of water leaks... four attempts to fix and they still can't find them.

We watched them working on other homes with horrific safety concerns ... extension cords across the street, moving large propane tanks down the street unsecured on a bobcat (I have pictures... yes they moved large propane tanks on a small bobcat without so much as a tie strap). After we moved in they continued to us the "temporary" electric box tied to my address to work on surrounding homes (this is where the extension cords come in). The electric company was charging me!! They didn't believe me it was happening... I ended up flagging down an electric company worker in one of their trucks and asking them to come down to my house to verify this was happening and call it in!!

Contractors smoking in the homes while working, others peeing on the side of houses instead of walking down the street a few doors to the porta john. (when the sales office got the proof of pictures this was happening, they said, “Thank you,” and rest assured that contractor will be fined!! So K Hov uses subpar contractors, our houses get peed on and K Hov gladly got a credit from the contractor). I could go on for days all the things we had to go thru and continue to go thru. It was the most stressful experience to build and to continue to go thru. I'm barely 6 months in and am exhausted. Every last item is a fight and we are still finding issues.

Original review: May 15, 2018

In August of 2017, my basement flooded with 2” or stormwater from the sump pump. I checked the pump and outlet and both were still working correctly. I called the homebuilder as the house was only 3 yrs old at the time. After calling them, my friend who is a contractor came out and helped inspect the issue to find out there was not one drop of water making it to the main catch basin at the end of my driveway. Found out that there was a crack/clog in the storm line in the driveway. After going back and forth with the home builder, and 2-3 months without the ability of using my driveway due to concrete missing, concrete slabs left in the middle of my driveway, and for the contractors to finally pour the concrete (the same week that temps went down to the low 20’s). I had to put caution tape up every single time but once.

They’ve wrecked some of my Halloween decorations, and put chips and cracks in my driveway. They put caution tape up once and after doing more work, removed the tape and left it for my snowblower to eat. I'm having them reimburse me for the material to fix the flower bed that they dumped 1.5 yards of soil on to and smashed my plants and everything inside which took me forever to just get the written letter approving and I’m now at the point of fixing the yard that they demolished.

The concrete is stained from the wet concrete that was cut and not cleaned, concrete that is cracked as they called it a curing crack (the concrete was never covered with anything during the cold weather after the pour like it should have been), and a 1” x 12” section of concrete that’s coming up between the basin cap and a stress relief crack... they said it was a courtesy and that none of it’s covered in the warranty as they don’t warranty driveway/exterior concrete even tho it was work that they had done. I really wished I looked up this builder before buying this house! You buy a new house so you don’t have to worry and they don’t give 2 ** after they get your signature and money!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Horrible experience with new home, slanted floors to the point that dresser drawers open on their own, I have to wedge pieces of paper and coins under furniture to level so drawers don't open. Outdoor hinges all rusted in 3 months, builder used indoor hinges on exterior. Air conditioning unit stopped working due to building materials clogging drainage pipe, nearly flooded first floor. Gas leak first week we moved in. Would not recommend this builder to any new home buyers.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Poor experience with finance dept and the actual home is a disaster. I just purchased a brand new home. During the walkthrough period a number of items were found but not all corrected prior to moving in. After moving in I noticed that all the appliances were scratched in every room and very poor quality appliances, wood, faucets and paint were used. The company is saying they will fix my issues. I am giving them 1 week to hand me a schedule of when the issues will be resolved. If they do not Honor their commitment I will sue and move in a heartbeat and inform potential buyers never to look at a Hovnanian home.

Additionally, some of the staff members lie about what truly comes with the home. I don’t want other potential buyers getting sucked into a train wreck of an experience. Buying a home is supposed to feel good and be an enjoyable process. This has been anything but and I have owned many homes in my day. This process has made me sick and I’m scared that I cannot trust the supervisors and VPs of this organization to honor their word. I hope I am wrong. To be continued.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Columbia Park townhomes high priced mixed with low income homes. Sales tactics are more like an used car dealership, fail to disclose key aspects of the neighborhood that will potentially affect future value for owners. Place is a rip-off for the type of homes that will be included for low income people, which they hide both in their sales pitch and their website. Even elevations on model homes and renderings miss to disclose affordable housing units mixed with high price homes. Beware of the “FD’ (future development) as these are not your advertised models. Laughable sales pitch like ‘these affordable housing units are for hand picked individuals like Doctors for example’. Are you freaking kidding me? Once you find the true facts and try to get your deposit back they show you what they are in reality. A con operation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?

Original review: April 14, 2018

If you like cooking do not buy these homes. The design or the AC take all the cooking smell to the upper floors, the recommendation is to cook with window open! The hood provided is so small that it works only for the back burners and it is not strong enough, there is no extractor in the kitchen ceiling. In Houston for more than 8 months we are over 85F-110F and to cook with window open is not pleasant at all.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Insidious Racial Discrimination. I attempted to buy a brand new K Hovnanian Virginia property. However, my mortgage lender was blocked at every turn when they refused to send him requested documents. This happened repeatedly, with no follow through from K Hovnanian. Instead of outright admitting they were being uncooperative because they didn't want to sell to a ** person, they just gaslighted and frustrated me and my mortgage lender until we looked elsewhere. Oldest trick in the book, according to my lender. My mortgage lender said he'd never experienced so much insidious purchase sabotage in his entire career until working with K Hovnanian. Screw them. A complaint has been filed with HUD.

Original review: March 31, 2018

They made the process for me very easy and stress free. I would recommend this builder to anyone who is looking for a simple home purchasing process. I love my home! It's a beautiful three bedroom, three and half baths, and so far I have no complaints.

Original review: March 27, 2018

We were sold a specific lot in the "Estates" in the Blackstone community in El Dorado Hills, CA. At the time of purchasing the lot, we were told only ONE model could be built on this lot, the Cornerstone. We continued with the contract, thinking we were purchasing this home... Spent HOURS picking out finishes, having appointments and signing contracts.

We get a call 3.5 months later, after the house should have started being built, explaining that the house we "chose" will not fit on the lot they sold us. They blamed the developer for mismarking the lot and claimed that they had no idea until the county came out and inspected. The entire situation was totally crazy and very unbelievable. They in turn attempted to sell us a BIGGER more expensive model in lieu of the home they originally insisted would fit. Needless to say, they either knew there would be a problem and hoped they could skate it by the county or they are totally incompetent and unprofessional. Either way, we chose not to work with them any further and demanded our deposit back. We are still waiting for our money.

Original review: March 27, 2018

We purchased our new home from K. Hovnanian. We were very happy with the options, and thought we made a good deal. We found that they were very inflexible and when asked for a change 3 months before closing, we were told a flat "No". What we asked to be changed was to have the carpet in our main room changed to hardwood to match the rest of the downstairs. We have somehow overlooked this in our 6+ hour design meeting. They simply said no, without a real explanation.

We had our realtor reach out to them, but were given little feedback from our Sales Agent and her manager. Finally after 4 emails, several voicemails, we were told that changes were not possible because of policy. We offered to eat the cost of the carpet, but were told no and we would have to do it ourselves after market. We realized that that was not acceptable because we would have to rip up the walkway transition put in place which would add a tremendous amount of cost. We understand deadlines, etc. but when sitting through a 6 hour design meeting, we made so many decisions that we couldn't even remember our names at the end.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I bought a brand new home a year ago, at 10 months I found several issues that needs attention. That was normal when you buy brand new home and acceptable. I had a hard time just to report these issues and have someone come and take care of it. It is a battle to have someone answer the phone that they provided for their warranty, and if you are lucky and Ms. ** answers the phone or call you back in three weeks, she will ask you to write an email with your request. The problem not yet the problem. Once they send someone to your house (superintendent) to check and see what is the problem the time for your warranty have had expired. I tried to explain to them that I have been trying to get someone to my house for the last two months. Tough luck.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I was going to buy a K Hovnanian® Home in Arnold Ridge, once I talked to the neighbors that had watched the place go up I decided not to. The one man was a retired carpenter and said he had never seen so much cheap chipboard in his life. Not to mention he saw carpentry that would come back and haunt the homes with water damage. He pointed out problems from the roof to the windows, I figured he was just angry because they were shoving them right up to his property line. He said "No, I knew that land would be sold eventually and their is nothing I can do". Talking to the subs was impossible it was a real Tower of Babel.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I recently bought a Khov home and let me tell you, it’s a NIGHTMARE. When I told Chuck ** about things he would reply (They will take care of them). When I called about my 1 year inspection Terry said most of the complaints were within their allowances. Every wall in my house is bowed and every floor squeaks. In summer and winter. They will tell you it’s because of winter dry air. My carpet was cut too short and now I have to replace it. My house is a year and a half old. I have so many compliments that it would be easier for you to call me. **. I strongly recommend not making the same mistake. From what I have seen. Shuster Homes is a better choice.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Was flat out lied to about sales contract conditions by Sales Associate. Second Sales Associate was rude, offensive, and non-professional. The Sales Manager was no help and did not see a problem. He offered no solution! After reading many of the reviews here, I can understand why this company has such low scores. It was a mistake on my part to even inquire about the homes offered by this company. Poor customer service seems to be a common core issue with K Hovnanian Builders. Like others have said, run as fast as you can away from these folks!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

First most important RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN from this builder. We close more than a year ago and I can say it's a full time job to try to get that house look as close as possible like a new house. Problem with this 1Million+ dollars house: Electrical that has finally been fix after sending an electrician 3 times to fix it, drywall that's not straight all over the house they fixed some, damage cabinet all over the house, messy caulking everywhere due to walls that are not straight, rusted outside hardware, dented kitchen hood that they don't want to replace, missing a part of the outside wall and the list goes on. They cut corner on everything and we as homeowner are living the consequences. My opinion worst builder out there, do not buy from them.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

This company is so concerned about their reviews prior to closing. But after is the real issue. There were many issues related to sloppy work, but those were addressed even though if care was taken by oversight, my time to take off work would not have been necessary. At issue 2 1/2 years later is the roof installation that leaked during the heavy rain we had during Harvey...no there was no roof damage causing it. The shingles were just fine. When the roofer came...who was recommended by someone from the builder...he said the shingles were not installed properly. They were nailed too close to the seams. The shingles were laid in the wrong direction due to the presence of dormers on either side. The pictures look like they are a sandwich laid on top of each other. They didn't leak until the rain was heavy enough to cause the leak.

When I told the builder, the roofer suddenly could not to do the job. So I had to get someone else to do it who said the same thing about the installation of shingles. Now after sending a certified letter to the builder with pictures of the improperly laid shingles, and asking for reimbursement, they have ignored it for over a month and won't respond. More importantly, other people on the block have had the same issue with 2 getting new partial or complete roofs re-installed due to Corey Roofing's poor job, but during the warranty period. Others have had leaks around pipes or similar to mine, been told their leaks were due to poor installation. It is very sad.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

If I could give a separate review for sales it would be 5 stars. Christine ** in sales did an incredible job from the day we viewed the models until after we closed escrow. She kept us informed constantly of the buying/building process/progress of our home. Now for the negative. Things that were supposed to be fixed before our 2nd walkthrough were not. We were threatened by Mark ** that we would not close escrow on time if we didn't sign off. So we did. The next day when we closed escrow things were still not done. After a couple of days they were done.

We have been in our home 3 months and it has been a nightmare trying to get items repaired. There is one person (above mentioned) who is in charge of all repair requests and walkthroughs, so you are screwed trying to get things done. He does not communicate well as to when things will be done. There is no one else to talk to. Everyone is closed mouth about who his boss. I don't know who he knew to get his job, but it must be somebody he personally knew. His lack of consideration and communication is huge. I mentioned this in my survey I completed for the builder and nothing has changed, big surprise!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

We just bought this new house from K Hovnanian Builders and only 7 month later I have several problems. This company claims they have the best warranty in the business however I would like to differ with that. The first few items that I have complained about I got nothing but lip service and all the blame is put on the contractor that installed it. I am very disappointed with the people that are with organization and who they represent. I am a very easy person to get along with but what came out of their mouth I felt embarrassed for them. I will never promote or refer anyone to this builder.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I was pre-approved for a home in Windermere, Florida. This company later changed the conditions by sending me a conditional approval. I immediately voiced my concerns about meeting all of their conditions prior to closing but was told not to worry about it because there were several things that they could do to as the closing date approached to get the deal done. Instead a week before closing, they sent me a letter stating that I didn't meet the conditions and asked if I would sign a form forfeiting my deposit. I now have no home, my two small children have to change schools, and our savings has been stolen by K Hovnanian. Do not trust this company. I spoke to other builders and they said that they would never treat a home buyer like this, let alone a veteran. We are devastated.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Spoke with Rob from K. Hovnanian. He stated he did not care if our neighborhood was getting burglarized and armed robberies were occurring. K. Hovnanian will not close the gates at the entrance because they are more concerned with revenue from unsold builder inventory homes than their residents. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! Your family, pets, and belongings may all be stolen or harmed by armed robbers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

TRACK HOME QUALITY AT A CUSTOM HOME PRICE! This is our second home here in Texas and even though the issues are small mostly paint and texture issues it's an act of God to get anyone out here the handle issues and do it right the FIRST TIME. I'm also a contractor and will never buy a home from this company again. You have 1 year from the move in date of your home to take care of building issues ext, they keep blowing you off until you lose it and take your issues to anyone that will listen. Buyer beware of K Hovnanian homes. There are a ton of better builders out there that actually appreciate your business.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

K Hovnanian Builders are terrible!!! Once they have your money you are on your own. If you ever consider buying from this company you're crazy, and if you're crazy bring with you to your appointments an electrical contractor and a plumber as well as your own construction person because if something goes wrong in the ordering conversations you will lose. You have to be an expert in all fields to buy from K-Hov. You ask for something to be put in your home, you pay a handsome price and are told that it will work, then you find out it will not work and K Hovnanian Builders swears that their people say it will. Case in point: we had a medical spa put in our backyard, we were charged $510.00 for a dedicated outlet for the spa that the sales person and sub-division supervisor told us would work, we questioned them several times on this and they reassured us it was OK.

When our electrical people came to hook up the Spa they would not do it because Spas need copper wiring and K Hovnanian wires their homes with Aluminum wiring. We spoke with 4 independent electrical contractors and they all said it needed to be copper wiring. So we were not only out $510 but had to put out another $1500 to correct the situation. K-Hov basically said "Too bad our way would work." Not so, would void the warranty on the Spa which we paid over $12,000. We also asked for a dedicated microwave outlet to be put in our pantry because the microwave over the stove we were going to take down to install a hood. They did not install the dedicated line as we asked and if we use the microwave, coffee maker and toaster at the same time the circuit breaker will blow. They insist that they put in what we asked for and they did not!

This builder should be looked at very closely, and the FHA should get after them for false statements etc. This was supposed to be our last home in retirement and if I could afford to buy another home right now, I would put this on the market and get out! K-Hovnanian Builders makes a bad rap for other builders that care about their customers. This new home experience has been a nightmare and continues to be that. Beware of who you deal with!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

We bought our new home 2 years ago and noticed the upstairs bedroom door is stuck and can't open or close without pulling hard. We noticed a very large crack going all the way up stair step to the bedroom with the door sticking. We have called the warranty to get this looked at and they came out and took measurements that indicated it is heaving and then told us that it's our problem to fix and we would be seeing many more cracks due to settlement so basically they refused to help with any repairs and said it's our problem.

We are very dissatisfied with our dream home now and don't know what to do at this point! This house would never sale with this going on and we don't know what to do now. Our insurance adjuster said the reason the house is doing this may be due to a busted water pipe underneath the house but there again it's our problem to hire a Plumber to get a test for this, wish we knew what to do now but we don't at this point so I'd say beware of K Hovnanian homes now.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Well, for one there is a little paper that Khov gives to every home owner and puts it in your cabinets, and it states "we're dedicated to your satisfaction". There is also a check mark that's checked definitely yes☑️! That is completely false advertising! Khov has told me no more times than not. I do have to disclose that they did fix the cracked master bedroom ceiling, I think? To me, they just covered up the problem and inconvenienced my husband and I out of our bedroom for 8 days! We just so happened to have an extra queen bed on hand. Never once did they offer to put us up in accommodations. And my baseboards are not the correct height that we thought we were getting. I could go on and on... I just wished I had read these reviews before we bought. Lesson learned. If we ever move we will definitely NOT buy another Khov home!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My wife and I were looking for a new home and we came across K Hovnanian Builders in the Houston area. After seeing the available model for the area, we fell in love with the Jupiter and it was at the right range for us. The sale representative was very friendly and helpful. She helped us choosing the right lots and gave us information to see the model home. After seeing the model home, we decided to go ahead with this house. During the build, we kept in touch with the sale representative and the build manager. Both of them are very friendly and kept us posted about the process. Toward the end of the construction, we were not happy with the craftsmanship on the bricks around the house and we brought our concern to both the sale representative and the build manager.

After a few emails, the build manager acknowledge that the bricks need to be fix and promised to take care of that. When we received notice about the closing date, we told the sale rep that we would not close if the brick were not fixed and refuse to sign the paperwork. The closing date was getting closed and nothing was done. On the first walkthrough, we repeat our request to have the brick fixed before the final walkthrough.

The nightmare started on the final walkthrough. We again expressed our disappointment about the brick that had not fix and we got another promise that it would be fix by the time we do the closing. We refuse to sign the final walkthrough paperwork. The sale representative started to blame on us for creating hassle for them and then she brought in a couple more people from the company trying to say that everything look good already. She also threaten us that we would lose the house and the deposit if we did not close on time. We told her that we did not agree with the closing date and we did not sign the paper so she could not held us accountable for that. She also threaten us that they will put the house back on the market if we were not sign the paper.

On the date of closing, the builder was still working on the brick and they said that they have to wait for the brick to dry before finishing the next step. We had a realtor working for us but she was not much help. We were really mad and almost giving up the house by canceling the closing appointment. My wife love the house very much and it is the first one that we were buying together so she told me that she wanted it even though she was not completely happy with it. We finally signed the closing paperwork on that date and the builder never went back to finish the job. From talking to our neighbor, we learned that the build did put the available sign at our house on the date we closed the house.

So far, the closing date was the only disappointment that we had with the house. The quality of the house is good and most of the craftsmanship were great. There were a few minor issue after we move in but they were taking care of by the service provided by the builder. My wife and I are happy with our decision on buying this house but we could not forget that eventful closing date. We hope that no one will have to go through the same issue that we did a year ago.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Words cannot even express what an AMAZING experience I had with Carla and Scott with K Hovnanian. It all started with meeting Carla at the sales office. She was friendly funny and professional. She answered all of my questions plus some!! She was not pushy and really helped me decide what house would work best for me. Once the house was begging to be built I had my walk through with Scott **. Instantly we clicked! He taught me so much about the home! Not just all the "pretty" stuff but about all the amazing things behind the walls, and how things work.

Fast forward to now me having the keys and moved in. Scott has still been there for me with everything! He seriously went above and beyond to make my house so perfect, honestly I could cry! Carla still texts me to make sure I am loving anything, and reminds me she is always there. I have purchased a house before, but nothing compares to this experience. I am so happy I got the pleasure of having Carla help me pick the right house, and Scott to make it absolutely perfect!!!

Original review: July 25, 2017

They lied about basement ceiling height and finally blamed me that I didn't opt for a higher ceiling... And in a matter of 3 years there is leakage in the stand-up shower in second floor and water dripping in the first floor near kitchen/dining area through the ceiling in first floor...

Original review: July 15, 2017

From the start, we were lied to. We were told we were getting 'lake front' property. The sales office shows our house with a lake. Yet, after putting down $15000 for a 'premium' lot, I looked at the appraisal district and there isn't a lake on our property. It barely skims the corner of the lot and there is a pier that goes nowhere on the back of our 'lake front' property. So, told the sales rep Deborah that their map is misleading. The construction manager, David, did not know what he was doing. Truly inexperienced by no fault of his own. In a job that he was not qualified to be at. He was totally confused most of the time and was not even present to check out the workers.

They used a different shade of shingle on the back of the house than the rest of the house. He didn't even catch it! My husband caught it! After that, David disappears with one month left to finish the house. Another construction manager shows up who lives an hour and a half (WITHOUT TRAFFIC) to be the new construction manager. By reading past posts, it seems like a regular occurrence to switch construction managers right before the house is finished. That way nobody is accountable. We close on Tuesday July 18th and am really regretting not getting an inspection. My gut feeling says get the inspection: KHOV, realtor, husband all say no.

Original review: July 7, 2017

From the day we purchased the home we were lied to. Not only were we told that the original person who was to buy the home backed out because "she" could not sell her home but that a patio would be easy to come by (can't find a contractor to come to the site to build a patio and NONE here just a sloping "yard"). The blinds person never returned my calls. I asked for changes and was willing to pay - NO. Everything was a NO. The building "supervisor" and his side kick made us come X2 to sign for items we had not chosen nor even wanted. This took time from work and a miserable drive each time.

We moved into the house the day we closed on our house and they "did us a favor" by allowing us to move in just prior to our closing on the home. The oven broke 3 weeks into our moving in and NOT their problem. Call GE. GE service will take 2 weeks to come to fix it. The laminate flooring is defective and they sent me 2 Mexican workers who don't speak English. Their handyman finally came by and now there is a hole in my floor as he decided it was the concrete slab. It was NOT as he clearly can't read a level. So now have a hole in my floor, a range that does not work and who knows what is next to go. The dishwasher leaks and falls out each time we open it - again No Hovnanian's problem.

I am the only one in this complex that has this model! The refrigerator top drawer of the freezer sticks and is made of such cheap plastic each time we have to lift it out and try to get it back on the tracks. I was "given" a washer and dryer as an incentive. Has anyone ever had a dryer without a "delicate" cycle? The air conditioning duct work is defective (their installer came and wrote it on the work order). Handyman came back with the "supervisor" who is NOT in the installers department? Nope, it meets minimum requirements. Put up window film at MY expense. The house went uncared for a year and it shows. To top it off I got a letter 3 weeks into living in this nightmare from their home office telling me that my warranty was now void since I had lived in the house over a year and no work orders will be filled.

I closed May 11 of THIS year. When I called I was told another letter was on the way to compensate for this letter. NO apology either verbally or in the next letter. My concrete is separating from the front porch and the stamping on the foundation is uneven and some stamped and some not. I asked that it be fixed. Several days I am told the concrete man is coming. Still nothing. From the day we came for the first "inspection" we were told to give "10's" on the survey as their bonuses are dependent upon customer answers to these surveys.

You must earn the 10 and so far my numbers are between 0 and 5 at the best. We sent the survey in and the workers here are most upset so nothing has gotten done. We were told to have the roof checked yearly or they would not guarantee it. Since no one lived in the house for a year and it sat vacant I asked the "super" if they would have it inspected. Here we are 6 weeks later and yet no roof inspection.

SO many other problems here but hopefully the next time I write K Hovnanian will show some compassion for their customers and at least address some of the most valid issues we have. I am guessing each area has a different "team" and, unfortunately, the Chantilly team is certainly substandard. Like someone else said - when you see the name K Hovnanian RUN. Do not walk. The price point may look enticing but better to pay more for a quality product or, at the very least, a company who addresses your problems and doesn't blame it's subs. As a side note - we have now become the 5:30 pm recipient of handyman calls where he comes in to say he can't do anything about the problem and I should watch what I write or say as one hand watches the other. As of today I refuse to be the call on the way out and I will not be answering the door. Treat me as a valued customer and I will most certainly revise my comments.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I would never recommend this builder ever. Less of 2 months into my new house, we found a major leak in kitchen area from my master bath. It was very poorly done. They finally fixed it. I had water leaks 3 times from air vent in master bath. They come and say it's flapper design issue and there isn't much they can do and it can happen again and again. Well, that's not at all comforting. After paying half of million to these guys, it made me think. Is this how they have built their brand? Is this how they take care of their homeowners? To all folks there who are willing or in the process of buying home from this builder, it's not worth it. I feel they are here to make cheap quality houses and make money in the process. If these are the issues I see in first couple of years, you can imagine their durability.

K Hovnanian Builders Company Information