2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

K Hovnanian Builders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

KHov Homes Towne Park Houston location has racially discriminated against several non-** potential buyers. They initially may or may not qualify you so they can take a earnest deposit then by the time closing is near if you're non-** they look for erroneous reasons to void out and cancel your agreement and keep your money. This happened to me with above 620 credit score, making over 6 figures and having a 20% down payment for closings. I was working with the KHov lender. They never reviewed or collected any new documents from me. A month away from closing they lied and said I never notified them of my job change which was false, they said I accrued new debt which was false, they requested new documents to review if I still qualify for my loan then they decided to refuse to review my documents and never showed any formal or professional process as to why they were cancelling my loan agreement.

They kept changing their story and trying to go around me and again had no formal review process of paperwork involved. After KHov denied me I got pre-approval same day from another lender who felt KHov was doing shady business and still KHov void my agreement and wanted me to be homeless as I was already scheduled to move to Houston Texas from another state. Be careful of doing business with KHov. They are racist and want to keep minorities out of their communities and I will be filing a complaint as this is Breach of fair lending laws as I am being discriminated against.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Where do I start. Originally bought my home in December 2019. Moved in middle January 2021. Let me just start with I would NOT recommend KHOV to my worst enemy. Back in 2019 after putting my deposit down KHOV lied and told me the city denied permits for the house saying they needed to make changes ( which the changes didn’t benefit me the home buyer) after KHOV attempting to make 4 changes on the house and trying to send default letters. This may I add is before ever being built, I had to hire an attorney to get KHOV to build the home that they sold me in the contract. We proved KHOV wrong by calling the city and the city told us they just didn’t wanna comply with simple fire code because it cost more.

From start to finish I would say KHOV work is subpar. Absolute low quality. The day of closing I had people inside my home without my knowledge. Using the bathroom. The entire house has issues in every room. There is no quality or care in their work at KHOV. Seems rushed and thrown together. 13 months to build and I still don’t have the refrigerator that I purchased with the home. Also my home is damaged inside. Looks like a couple year old house. When it should look new! The baseboards/trim is chipped/scraped in every room of the house. The drywall has holes, dents. Scratch's in the sink, chipped tiles in the master, squeaky floors in the master and stairs. Cosmetic issues everywhere and when mentioned to KHoV they just act like it’s no big deal and it’s normal. Let me tell you guys. THAT IS NOT NORMAL.

To move into a brand new house and need to have every vendor come back within two weeks to make fixes. Seems like KHOV likes to wait till the end to fix things to see what they can get away with. After I closed I now have to have pretty much every vendor come back to fix what should have already been done. You guys had 13 months to build this home. It truly has been a horrible experience from the very beginning. I purchased a brand new home because I figured I wouldn’t have to move in and work on the home.

Well I’m working on the home since day one of move in. I have countless issues. The house cosmetically is beat up everywhere. I had the project manager in my house on closing day doing repairs. I’m not happy at all with KHOV. I feel they are a terrible company. I truly recommend building with someone else who truly takes pride in their work. We will see if they make right with what needs to be fixed but right now I’m tired of having them come back 2-3 times to fix one job that should have been fixed before I closed on the home. BUYERS BEWARE! The project manager will try to take advantage of you!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

While my husband and I shopped for the home of our dreams, during a pandemic-one no one saw coming, we stumbled upon K. Hovnanian homes. We came, we saw, we liked.... we ended up in the house we weren't in love with. A huge mix up happened, which a lot was discussed that day however, once it came time to sign the contracts, not one detail was gone over again-to be sure this was the house we wanted. We had a design meeting, again nothing gone over. We met with the contractor-who brought the wrong lot and details.

For a first time home buyer-this was not what we had in mind. It's safe to say we will not buy NEW again. It's been a headache getting things fixed that shouldn't needed attention a day after moving in. Walls were scuffed, flooring coming up, windows scratched, a torn screen door, unfinished cabinets, a month after living here-a cabinet door fell off, chipped backsplash-which we are still waiting to have fixed. Hindsight, we read some reviews for homes bought back east, but had we found more open and honest reviews for Fresno, CA we would not have built with K. Hov. The sales agent was great, friendly, and SO kind when we discovered it wasn't the house we loved, but they tried to make it up to us as much as possible, but it was like a very bad breakup. Do your research, have them explain EVERY detail so you can avoid a fiasco like ours. Happy hunting!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

We bought a house. Been over a year.. They only beautify the property but once you start living you realize they use only poor quality of material. Wall joints already have serious cracks.. Whatever supposed to be covered under warranty they didn't fix. Kept playing blame game between their contractors. The lead supervisor gave wrong info and after realized he was wrong he blamed owners for misunderstanding.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I purchased a home from them about 3 years ago that was a new build. Their sales people did a good job convincing me and making me trust their company. Then I bought the home and I have been regretting my decision ever since. During the three years time those in my community found several defects, including community features, and in individual homes. I wish people would take responsibility for their work. K Hov contracted out different companies to do some parts of their work such as installing heating and ac units, and when it wasn’t installed correctly they didn’t take responsibility for it and made me contact the installing company and pay for assessment.

The installing company, Chaz Roberts (I will never use this company either) also denied it being their fault saying “It must have been other people like the drywall people the builder hired that did this or you or someone here did it - so it’s not our fault”. When I went back to the builder to report this, the manager said to me “It’s like buying a car from a dealership - once you buy it and you damage it on your way out, it’s not the dealer’s fault”. I went back and forth between them and ended up giving up and hiring a different company who also was surprised that khov or Chaz Roberts the installing company did not cover this work as the company I hired felt it was also an installation issue. (I got opinions from two different companies). I will NEVER do business with them again - buying from them is one of the biggest regrets I have.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

So, my husband and I purchased a new home with KHOV in Boca Raton FL (The Enclave at Boca Dunes) in August of 2020. The sales process was great and gave us confidence in the builder. There were some minor issues pre-closing but we felt satisfied with the modifications made by the builder. Within a week of building, we noticed that one of the rooms (the home office) was more than 10 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the rest of the house. We have complained to management about the AC and they refuse to fix it.

We also found out that the first few Callistas (The Callista is an end unit townhome with a loft and a home office and 2475 square feet) KHOV installed the correct capacity AC units. However, by the time they got to our building and the building before ours, they decided to install a lesser capacity AC unit to save money. Unfortunately, we are one of the units where a lower capacity unit was installed. It's been almost 3 months since we registered our issue with the AC and KHov keeps running the clock hoping our warranty will be up while I work in a home office that is completely hot. Be careful of KHov. They are dishonest.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

As a military veteran coming home from overseas I took a few months to buy. So I could look around and find the perfect house, I wish I would have seen this site and knew what I know now. First with a VA loan they demanded earnest money which I never had to pay on my 1st home. 10g is a lot but they agreed to reduce to 5g which is still against my better nature. The communication between the loan office and myself with my realtor varied and wasn't 100% positive or reliably fast.

They build the homes here so fast there are many errors and service request I had to put in to be fixed within the 1st thirty days. HVAC was improperly installed, sink made noises, missing wall plugs, inactive wall plugs, wet spots on ceilings, light coming thru doors, window seals improperly sealed, lighting fixtures hanging and not installed properly, garage door closed on roof of my car and they implied it was my fault. Water sprinklers height adjustments varied, sprinklers and grass not placed in position even after 1 month of move in for HOA to monitor. Took forever to get grass people to come start doing their job and they keep damaging my solar lights.

For what we pay HOA this should be a gated community. I'm disappointed in the lack of communication and care because they are quick to ask for positive ratings on surveys and end products. I caught the contractors drinking water from my nozzle behind the house, and no telling how long that's been going on. They still aren't delivering mail to the box and both the post office and builder point fingers at each other so I make a trip everyday to go get my mail.

For what I paid they put in the cheapest fans, didn't put a better finish on garage floor and could have built my patio on opposite side to give me more outside room so city didn't confine me to small space. The walkway in front of my home has weird steps that several people have tripped or fell due to not realizing they are there and or deep. I could go on because every week its something new and friends/family point out things that the builder and I missed during walk thru. I'd rather deploy again and rent this property out. I'm not happy at all.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I bought a KHOV home three years ago in Arizona and my A/C unit is severely undersized and we sweat every summer and the temperature gets below 80 degrees only after midnight. We reached out the builder and the HVAC company who installed it for last few years and the only statement we get back is everything is working as per design. We ended up replacing the AC for 10K to have a better experience. I would strongly recommend to do your home work before purchasing another KHOV home.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Hi, I was in contract for an investment property in Casa Grande, AZ that was built by K HOVNANIAN Builders and as usual the sales person tied a $10,000 incentive to the house if I used their KHOV Mortgage Lender. The KHOV Mortgage Lender experience was a total disaster. On the day of closing they pulled from the loan and did not bother to call back to discuss the matter. They did full ssn, income verification and credit checks and did not find anything wrong with my case until the last day where out of the blue the main loan officer Corey ** said he had to restructure the loan and after that he did not bother to discuss the issue. They were about to make me sign loan docs and get it notarized and then they would have said it was null and void. The notary was at my house and I was about to sign the paperwork and then they changed everything.

They were sitting on my file for 3 months and they did all the checks and did not find anything wrong and then at the end they held me accountable for owning another investment property and they not knowing about it. This is totally wrong practice and the sales office is tied to the lending company as they force you to get into contract. They are running a fraudulent practice as it is a full scam. I have lost $3000.00 as token deposit for a new home. I have very good credit, assets, everything but they messed up the whole deal. Their communication is pathetic and they are highly unprofessional and rude. The main person did not bother to call or explain or negotiate the terms and conditions of the loan denial. They wasted my 3 months with all the paperwork and the earnest deposit. DO NOT WORK with them as they are highly unethical and unprofessional people.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Purchased new home site Jan.2020 paid 192k deposit. Requested to revise Palm Beach County bldg permit to include a home featured in this community with 600 sq.ft. extra. Request denied by salesman so I wrote to Ara K Hovnanian President and CEO at 90 Matawan Rd Matawan NJ 07747. Letter was delivered by Fed Ex and signed for by P.**. No response from from Mr. Hovnanian, he referred back to salesman to contact me. No ground broken or work started and Palm Beach County Bldg Dept stated they do revisions all the time. Suggested I contact an attorney for a resolution.

K Hovnanian Builders Company Information