Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
1.35/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

179 K Hovnanian Builders Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2019

We purchased model home from K Hovnanian on October 2018. They had office in car garage for couple of years because this house was model house. While closing the house they converted office to car garage and they built driveway. While doing this construction they spoiled the my irrigation system (sprinkler system). One of the water pipe they did cut by accidentally. While closing the house they didn't show the system whether it's working or not because winter started even we didn't use the system because cold weather. The house is equipped with intercom and centralized home theater system. We paid the money for everything we requested lot of times. Where is the menus and how to use the system. No help so far.

For sprinkler system they broke while converting the office room to car garage and driveway. When we asked now they are saying it is homeowner maintenance. I agree with that point if they deliver the good system working condition. While closing they send one gentlemen just he explained only where is the electric panel and where is the main water line, how to use gas stove and refrigerator. He never showed how to use other systems what we paid and whether it's working or not.

Very very bad service with this big construction company.

My suggestion to everyone before closing house we should do home inspection. We didn't do the home inspection. We thought K Hovnanian is big company and follow the steps before they give the house to the customer. We thought of doing house inspection but they said we dont need. End of the day we are suffering. What we paid for model home half of the stuff is not there and some of the systems are not working (given broken). Some of them we dont know how to use because no one showed to us. We bought model house because we thought we don't need to do any more upgrade but thing are other way.

Original review: April 24, 2019

We have moved into our new home not two years, and we have already had three different major leaks due to poor construction. First, a new, unused toilet began to spew waste and flooded our basement. It was quickly taken care of, but not long after, a pipe burst over our garage and ruined the ceiling. Most recently another pipe had burst, flooding our basement again. This is a shoddy construction job and I would advise you to take your business elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We recently submitted a service ticket to our warranty service center regarding a bursted pipe. They sent out a crew immediately to clean up the water damage which required removing insulation from Our finished basement wall, lifting our finished basement carpet, removing baseboards in our finished basement, and cutting a hole in our finished basement ceiling. Once the restoration crew and plumber were finished our brand new home that we paid to have the basement finished in was left in shambles for us to clean up and finish ourselves. I have spoken to several representatives and they refuse to fix anything they destroyed in our home. We are beyond disappointed first time homebuyers that highly suggest asking around the neighborhoods before choosing as your HOME builder.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Buyer beware when purchasing a KHOV home. Once we signed on the bottom line things went south quickly. We have had several issues with KHOV, recently digging in our yard without our authorization. We have had to call the authorities for trespassing, just to get KHOV to call and discuss the digging issue. Then the KHOV representative actually used foul language "I am doing you a ** favor here". Strange we didn't ask them to dig in our yard, begs the question what favor. Everyone of their employees we have dealt with has been unprofessional and no one is willing to work with you on what is obviously a mistake on their part. It really is a shame because the homes are beautiful and our neighborhood is wonderful. But from this family's beliefs we will NEVER purchase another KHOV or recommend this company to family or friends.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Closed in a home on October 2018. This company has a very bad customer service and also won't honor home warranty as they promised, make sure you put everything in writing since they won't get back to you about any issues going bad on the new home. Lost about $3000 dollars rerouting underground power lines that they promised to route properly. I won't recommend company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

New development in Dover - nice floorplans, nice neighbors, but disappointed with workmanship. Expected better of this builder’s name. Regret having invested retirement income here. Understandably all houses settle however the more settling occurs, the more the workmanship underneath is revealed.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have read low rated reviews for East coast home locations. I had a much different experience. The salesman, Sam, was very responsive. The construction went smoothly and the service dept did their job smoothly. Only one problem with outdoor fan that was too close to the wall. It was fixed. Other fixes were minor paint and switches and light bulbs. Even non dimming light bulbs were replaced. Overall a very good experience.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My wife and I purchased a new home, paying $357,000 for a beautiful first home for our new family. K Hovnanian Builders rushed our build so badly that the drywall, the walls, the fixtures, electrical face-plates, and building structure look like a third grader built our home! The maintenance warranty you receive attempts to correct WHAT you can find, and leaves it to the home owner to identify what they know is already wrong.

When you do identify issues, they blame the home owner for 'not pointing out the flaws' in the final walk-through. However, the final walk-through is such a brief moment, you cannot possibly identify everything. On TOP of that, the supervisor who walked us through stated "It's okay if you don't find everything today, just move in and we'll come back and fix the rest..." What a SHAM! I spend all my time, vacation leave, and emotional stressful moments fixing what they should've done the first time through. WHAT A MESS! Over a third-of-a-million to pay for a homemade of cheap crap and built with unapologetic piss-poor quality.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I recently bought/built a townhome in Florida. I used K. Hovnanian, which was an unfortunate mistake. Don't believe the hype of the exterior design of the home or the interior decor. This is a bait and switch type of company! What looks good on the outside is a nightmare waiting to happen for you! So, after working with a pleasant sales rep (who was a liar), I decided to buy the home. Well, the second you sign your contract (which is poorly written and will not protect you at all) the pleasantries fall away. That contract allows the builder all flexibility to change anything and you have no recourse. I’m not talking small things, but things like where your house sits on the land and how much land you are given.

We were supposed to have poured concrete exterior features, but they decided to make them out of sub-standard materials, which leak and are wreaking havoc on many of the units in our complex. I was shocked to learn that features like walls, fountains, and walkways can be changed without the owner’s knowledge or approval. RUN! THEY CHANGE EVERYTHING TO MAKE THE CONSTRUCTION CHEAPER!

Get copies of ALL the plans BEFORE you sign the contract. After you sign, they will make it very difficult for you to even see the plans! These plans will be approved by your city and available at your city, but you cannot see them until AFTER you are an owner. BEWARE! This is important because K Hov makes changes and errors in lighting and electric because they don’t follow the plans…and then they will not correct the errors without a major fight. If they don’t follow the plans, contact corporate immediately. Tell the subs to stop working (if you speak Spanish). Oh, and they use undocumented people on all their sites! The subs work very hard, but the management doesn’t guide them or watch the quality of work.

Next, while they are building your home, and you notice that there a problem or error, they will act like they will fix it until you leave the site. They rarely fix anything. We weren’t given the chance to inspect the electric, lighting, or anything before the drywall was already in place. They have a sign in the office that says you get two inspections…we got nothing!!

I’ll give you an example: There was a leak in the front section of my unit. I had mentioned it to our manager, who said they would fix it. I came back the next day to find the leak was still there and there was a man laying tile and he was about to cover up the wet section of the gypcrete!! I told him to stop, called corporate, emailed them images (TAKE IMAGES OF EVERYTHING!!). I DEMANDED that the leak be fixed before they tiled any further. Well, it took three days of testing and repair before they were finally able to fix the leak. The had to tear out half my wall to figure out what was wrong, and it ended up being the sub-standard design feature on the exterior wall that was leaking (surprised?).

I wanted to get out of the contract, but my lawyer said I would lose my deposit and it had been eight months of frustration. So, I moved forward. The problems did not stop there. The closing was moved several times. I marked over 100 items which needed to be fixed before closing. Their workers do more damage every time they enter your brand-new home…BEWARE!

After they turn over the community to your HOA, you find out that there are more serious problems with documents and problems which will cost you big money. Your fees will double, and they will not do the audits which are required within 90 days. We still don’t have any audits after a year! K Hov also changes management constantly. They move people around to confuse you. I could go on and on! DON’T BUY FROM K HOV! Use a decent builder. I will never build again! This was one of the worst experiences of my life, and it continues because the quality of work is terrible! BE SMART AND RUN AWAY FROM K. HOVNANIAN! RUN! DO NOT BUY FROM K HOV! BE SMART!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Our roof leaked after being in the house 16 months. KHOV tells us it's considered homeowner maintenance. Now we are in for a battle to get them to fix it. We have sheetrock and paint damage on a new home that is 16 months old. What kind of a builder doesn't warranty a roof in the first few years? Don't buy a home from KHOV.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Very very very rude staff and they never help with anything. I bought a home and it start breaking on me the first month. The manager whose name is Derek is the bigger jerk you will ever meet. Stay away and do not buy any homes with them. First month of purchase in March 2017 I ask them to come and fix the flooring and they came and told me they will fix it in August which they never did. I had to hire someone and pay them money to fix the flooring cost me almost $300. My roof leak the first year after I bought and they told me it was due to my negligence. Huh? Brand new home and my roof leak and it's my fault. How?

Wow K Hovnanian homes is a biggest ripoff. I had literally no wood studs in the home. It suppose to have 4 feet space and I have 8 feet stud space in my walls. What?? How the hell I suppose to put anything on my wall like picture or curtain? Yeh I can't! Cheap cheap cheap house and cheap and cheater builder. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. STAY AWAY AND DON'T BUY THESE HOMES.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Things started out well as we decided that the home was right for us. After only two weeks, we decided to purchase a home closer to our current home. The home we switched to is also a new home and is ready for occupancy so we won't have to rent with our family and our dogs. When we informed the sales office of the change, the first thing we were told is that "too bad, but because your loan was approved, you don't get your deposit back." We informed the sales office that we had not signed the "Commitment Letter" as required to accept the loan and final sale. That did not matter. We refused to sign an addendum essentially agreeing and the sales consultant became threatening - even to make our current purchase more difficult. Ultimately, we got a letter by UPS stating our deposit would be "liquidated". When we still did not respond, we received another email from the VP of sales.

Needless to say, we're out $1000 but more to the point, the other 167 complaints are right on about K Hovnanian Homes - once they get your money, they disappear. We feel we dodged a bullet by not pursuing the home. They do business unethically. Our experience was at the Aspire Homes in Arboga, CA. Steer clear! Lastly, they advertise as "Homes starting in the upper 200's." There's nothing lower than $306K as they immediately tack on a "Lot Premium" regardless of location. Bad business practices. Can't imagine how horrible it would have been had we moved in and had a problem!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Built a Khov home in 2012. Within 4 months we sustained substantial damage to interior of house due to faulty ridge vent. Khov attempted to make repairs in 2012. 2nd major roof issues/damage sustained less than 1 year later in Oct 2013. Again, Khov attempted repairs. Sept 2018 we for some reason elected to build again with Khov. During contract of new Khov house, we sustained THIRD major roof issues at current Khov house. Our decision was to void contract with Khov. Khov execs recognized faulty ridge vent. Khov's position was to only repair roof at current house if we elected to move forward with new house. QUALITY at KHOV is SUSPECT. BEWARE.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I had a terrible experience with this business. The home workmanship is low quality, with cheap knobs that fell off a number of doors very quickly. They wanted to charge for basics like a fan for the microwave that should be thought of when building and provided. The shower design in the bathroom was awkward that makes it hard to get in out of the shower. The A/C in the bedroom is very weak, and they did nothing to fix it. On the top of that, the way they built the house resulted in water pouring around the backdoor patio destroying the door and the wall. When asked to fix the defect, and provide warranty repair, they ignored us, and have done nothing for over two months.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Owned a new Khov home for 3 months with multiple warranty items needing to be fixed and rectified. Overall, poor communication and scheduling by the warranty manager in Bluffton, SC. Have taken vacation days to have work performed and workers do not show and manager blames the workers. Working families cannot take vacation days and not have work performed. Overall, very frustrated with local management.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I bought the KH Homes almost six years ago, I had a small leak over my walk in closet so I fixed it with less than $200. Overall, my house was still in a good condition in Central Valley of California where it rained quite often in the Winter and Spring times. My house still was holding up and did not problem with it but only small minor repairs. The AC and the gas heater still were working great.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Palm Beach Plantation and Greenwood Manor is only 13-14 years old. So many homes here have leaky roofs! No other hood around has the amount of leaky roofs like this one does! Not even close! Stay away from K Hovnanian! We have a bad roof epidemic here and many people don’t have the money to fix their roofs. The builder Warranty was over at ten years. If I did not see all the other hoods around town that still have good roofs then I would just say that all these roofs should fail before 15 years! Some homeowners want to hire a lawyer to see what their options may be going forward. There are 600 homes here. Just think twice before you buy a K Hovnanian home... YO!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

First, I will say the house itself is fine. Our home is in the Southpointe development in Edgewater, MD. However, a water channel across our property was shut off and the 4 acres of HOA woods have been underwater since Feb. 2018. Trees are all dying. This is mosquito problem, and we would not be able to sell our homes in this area. K. Hov refuses to help and the county seems to be in agreement with them. No one will help to alleviate this problem They are not being truthful. They said there was never a water channel on our property. However, we have proof there was one (pictures, maps, etc.) and now they just ignore us.

Also, they buried huge chunks of asphalt and rocks in our lawn so it will not grow. They have removed some of the debris, but refuse to remove more. We think they are being dishonest because original studies about the outfall of waterways was flawed, perhaps on purpose, to get the permits to build some of the homes here. I guess we will have to go to court to get them to do the right thing. I can't believe a builder would do this. I would not EVER do business with them again. I would suggest you stay away from this very dishonest builder.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Where do I begin? From start to finish the building of our home has been a NIGHTMARE. We built prior to building with KHov and had a stress free experience and was promised the same by KHov. They push you to use their lending and title company which you have to PUSH them every step, of the way to do their jobs. Once we signed were given a completion date of 8-22-18. The dig date was May 2, 2018. May 2nd came and went with the excavator sitting on the property but nothing being done. We were told it was a delay in getting the building permit. I called the city building dept and found out the permit was issued and it took them until May 10th to start the dig because they didn’t have an available excavator operator.

They then moved our completion date back to Sept 7th. We had had a buyer for our home with a very good offer but when they pushed back the completion date the deal fell through because the buyer needed to be in our home by Aug 28th. We checked the building of our home daily. We were told by email things were done when we found they were not. When the home was almost finished we drove by to find huge holes in the front yard dug by an excavator. We were told we needed a grinder pump due to the elevation of our house to the sewer tie ins. They should have found this out when they dug the foundation. They then wanted to charge us 1,100 more for it.

We protested because we were never told it would be an additional cost if we needed one. They ended up not charging us. We had our sump pump daylighted right in the MIDDLE of our backyard! A hole with a white PVC pipe exposed with gravel under it. We were told it had to stay that way and not be covered up. After much complaining and an inspection that didn’t pass (city made them move it to the back of the property) it was fixed. Our walkthrough was scheduled for Aug 30th and we were given a firm date of 9-7 to get our keys. We had another buyer (lost $9,000 in a lower bid than the first offer) and they needed to be in by Sept 12th. We agreed as we were sure we would be out by 9-8.

ONE day before our walkthrough we get an email that our completion date was being pushed back to Sept 14th because the plumbers never showed up to do the work needed to get an occupancy permit. We were told the plumber inspection was schedule and they would get the occupancy permit after that. I called the city and county AGAIN and found that the plumbing inspection was not scheduled for the day we were told and it was only the second one and it needed a final inspection after that, also the occupancy permit takes 2 weeks to get since everything is done. So the construction manager lied to us. We may lose the second sale of our home due to their incompetence. DO NOT build with these people! Communication is nonexistent. Once they have your signature all you get is lip service.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We were very naive and thought most people were honorable but not this company. When we first moved in, we had water surrounding our house when we had rain. We called them and they tried to blame us for it. We eventually after a year had them come back and put in the French drains that should have been installed originally. The painter’s tape and painting hung off the wall from upstairs to downstairs. Now we have a wall that is totally molded in our pantry from a leak upstairs. They installed shower units with no caulking. We can’t even get them to talk to us about it. The way they operate is to send someone out and they say, we will get back to you but they don’t. They won’t answer calls, texts, etc. Driveway cracked within first six months with water bubbling through the cracks, door knobs fell off. If you want quality work, do not use these builders. They certainly do not stand behind their work.

Updated on 08/12/2018: We had several repairmen in and they thought it was the caulking from the upstairs shower. Well, we had the wall removed this week and found that the real cause of the leak was on installation of shelves in pantry, they drilled right into the PVC pipe in wall. There are at least four or more holes in the pipe. Will the representative answer my calls, no, and he conveniently leaves his mailbox full.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I should have kept researching for a better location. I have issues with the landscaping which yet has to get fixed. Property Keepers are currently running the "show" inside the development. Poor. company, I have talked, plead with Mr. ** about the neighbor who has moved into a quiet neighborhood. She and her many guests have been loud, intrusive and nasty towards the neighbors. There are about 5-10 cars nightly steady stream in and out parking wherever the car lands. I was promised when I bought in here, a "gated community" for our protection and the gates have yet to be running.

I cannot walk outside in fear due to all the visitors of unknown. The garage door is always opened, smoking, drinking, doors slamming, empty bottles breaking inside the recycle bin. I have called the police several times because they block my driveway. "No HOA enforces the rules" so the police cannot enforce where they park. I was promised many things which I have yet to met by K Hovnanian Builders/Property Keepers.

Original review: June 14, 2018

First and foremost, we didn't research online to check for the reviews on this builder. My wife, on a whim, stopped by to see their model homes and it went forward from there. They have a very good pitch being a dad and son, small company, top 3 builder in the country, etc., and were very convincing. By the time we got to the 'design studio', we learned that we’re given misinformation by their salesperson. She identified things that were 'standard' that we later learned were upgrades-pricey upgrades, and their standard tile, counters, and other standard features were cheap and undesirable. I was so upset that I wanted to walk out. K Hov ended up increasing our money going toward upgrades to compensate for the misinformation.

The loan process was great, which is why I'm giving it 2 stars! It was fast, efficient and they helped raise my score almost 40 points in 3 months! Amazing work! However, that was as good it got! Air conditioner: The building supervisor mislead us into believing we had an upgraded air zoning conditioner, that would've been 15K more than the standard ac that comes with our size of home, so that was very disappointing to learn AFTER we moved in that we had been lied to. Chas Roberts has replaced 3 thermometers, and discovered that one of the air ducts in the dining area was covered over, which may have been part of the reason some of the rooms were warmer than others by several degrees, and why they had to come out to our home several times.

Door: the Door and trim were painted the wrong color. It took them 3 coats of paint of different colors before they got the right color, and it bubbled. They had to replace the door. Locksmith/Door provider came out 3 times to address the same issues before they got it right. And this here is the reason why I'm writing a review today, 8 months into living in our home: We purchased a premium lot for an extra 4K, chose a 3 car garage, and were told we could not get an RV gate (even though we paid an extra 4K just for the lot), and was assured that the homes on both the east and west side of us were single story homes. Unfortunately, the salesperson was wrong.

The east side of our home has a 2 story being built! It is so close to our home it looks like the wall of this monster home is our shared block wall! I've contacted the Phoenix zoning department to check to see if they are in compliance. We had other issues but their service department was very responsive in getting stuff done. Bottom line, find another builder. This one has been the worst experience we've had...

Original review: June 8, 2018

We reported that roof directly over the front porch was having an issue 6 months after moving into our new house. The ceiling on the porch had about a two foot across patch of paint that had peeled off exposing the drywall. When we reported this we were told that this was damage from the recent hurricane but no other spot had damage. We felt there was an issue with the roof but the person from K Hov disagreed after looking at it. We were told we should just sparkle the area and repaint it and that would take care of the issue. We also had a handyman look it over and he was willing to do the spackling and painting for $300. He didn’t offer anything as to what the cause was. We took our time fixing this but it got done by us.

Now that we are starting to get rain again the same exact spot has had the same issue again. Of course this is after the timeframe for K Hov to do repairs for issues that are found. I’m afraid to find out what it will cost to have the roof repaired for something that K Hov should have fixed when I reported it. Instead they shifted the blame and now it’s too late. Don’t buy from these people if they won’t make the repairs for bad workmanship. They only do the cheap fixes but not when it will really cost them money.

Original review: June 1, 2018

My son is in the process of buying a home from them. They are racking the roofs and it is not recommend by the manufacturer. There is no law against it so they can get away with it. We sat in their office where they assured my son the roof would be done correctly. We pointed out one house has a number four on the roof. We drove through and brand new houses with shingles missing because of storms. They want out of the contract because they will not address the roof problem. Told if they do they will lose their down payment. It's not right that these companies can rip off the consumers. They just laugh all the way to the bank!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Why would anyone who calls themselves professional builders NOT put sound breaking drywall in semi detached homes? Not only did this cheap builder not put decent sound breaking drywall in the homes in Longacre in Dover De, they put the cheapest flooring that they could in the homes. They apparently lied to the realtor about the drywall. I would NEVER recommend nor will I ever buy another home that is built by them! A bunch of rip off crooks!!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

Don't know where to begin. Built a home with another builder years ago (Ryan Homes). They had bad reviews online but a friend convinced me otherwise. Was the best experience. So when we were looking to upsize I ignored the reviews for K Hov online again thinking… again... could just be crabby people or isolated incidents. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made. From start to finish it has been awful. The salesperson sold me a home saying it would be done in August. She made me sign a piece of paper saying there could be construction delays due to weather, scheduling, that the date could be pushed "just a bit". Within a few weeks of signing I am told my date was moved to October. So when I asked what construction delay happened they provided me with a schedule that very clearly showed August was never feasible from the start.

This is huge inconvenience when trying to time selling/building a home. Also, when showing me the plot layout was showed two numbers she said indicated the distance from the edge of my house to the property line. Based on the numbers she said I believed I would have almost 30 feet from my neighbor. After houses went up... turns out she was pointing at the wrong numbers and I was only 10 ft from the neighbor. Never would have bought a house so on top of a neighbor. I imagine few people would. Apparently this was my fault for not knowing how to read a topo and believing they did. The difficulties got worse from there. Throughout the build our house was rarely worked on because they were busy on other houses on the street.

Turns out they were rushing to get those done early to use them as models before their homeowners moved in... yes people bought brand new houses with new carpet, etc that they finished months early and the sales reps trapesed potential buyers thru them... thru rain, sleet, snow, etc onto their new carpet. Once someone caught on that their house was being used they said "oh yeah we will compensate you" and gave them a small gift card. No other homeowners that homes were used were compensated... only the one that caught them in the act. Since our home couldn't be used as a model because it wasn't offered in the next phase they weren't working on it... until I complained and it was the very end. The project manager told me not to drive by the house... seriously.

They slapped everything together in the last few weeks... horrible mudding job... one coat of paint that looked awful, holes in walls, missing items all documented at our "gold star" walk thru. We also had scratches in our cabinet doors that they tried to pass by us with use of a sharpie. During walk thru noticed gap in ductwork next to furnace. Construction manager said he would fix - his fix consisted of tape over it to hide it. Asked city inspector to review it for safety... he red tagged it and forced them to fix it right. Since they never had power to the home until a day before our walk thru... none of the tests of the home's utilities had been done. It took 4 attempts after receiving our keys to get the HVAC working. No hot water in the shower. We have a driveway that within just a few months is cracking and flaking apart (we used the sealer they told us to).

We will need to replace the whole driveway within a few years and K Hov says... “Well it's in the fine print. We don't cover driveways and even if we did..” We reminded them this driveway was just put in... we hear that cracks and flakes are industry standard. We having stairs that creek, floors that crackle under our feet because they weren't properly installed. Paint still looks awful... they do one coat of flat paint. Be warned they like to do walkthrus late in the day so the sun isn't coming thru the windows... that way it won't be hitting the walls and you won't see where they didn't sand the mud. We have heard neighbor horror stories of water leaks... four attempts to fix and they still can't find them.

We watched them working on other homes with horrific safety concerns ... extension cords across the street, moving large propane tanks down the street unsecured on a bobcat (I have pictures... yes they moved large propane tanks on a small bobcat without so much as a tie strap). After we moved in they continued to us the "temporary" electric box tied to my address to work on surrounding homes (this is where the extension cords come in). The electric company was charging me!! They didn't believe me it was happening... I ended up flagging down an electric company worker in one of their trucks and asking them to come down to my house to verify this was happening and call it in!!

Contractors smoking in the homes while working, others peeing on the side of houses instead of walking down the street a few doors to the porta john. (when the sales office got the proof of pictures this was happening, they said, “Thank you,” and rest assured that contractor will be fined!! So K Hov uses subpar contractors, our houses get peed on and K Hov gladly got a credit from the contractor). I could go on for days all the things we had to go thru and continue to go thru. It was the most stressful experience to build and to continue to go thru. I'm barely 6 months in and am exhausted. Every last item is a fight and we are still finding issues.

Original review: May 15, 2018

In August of 2017, my basement flooded with 2” of stormwater from the sump pump. I checked the pump and outlet and both were still working correctly. I called the homebuilder as the house was only 3 yrs old at the time. After calling them, my friend who is a contractor came out and helped inspect the issue to find out there was not one drop of water making it to the main catch basin at the end of my driveway. Found out that there was a crack/clog in the storm line in the driveway. After going back and forth with the home builder, and 2-3 months without the ability of using my driveway due to concrete missing, concrete slabs left in the middle of my driveway, and for the contractors to finally pour the concrete (the same week that temps went down to the low 20’s). I had to put caution tape up every single time but once.

They’ve wrecked some of my Halloween decorations, and put chips and cracks in my driveway. They put caution tape up once and after doing more work, removed the tape and left it for my snowblower to eat. I'm having them reimburse me for the material to fix the flower bed that they dumped 1.5 yards of soil on to and smashed my plants and everything inside which took me forever to just get the written letter approving and I’m now at the point of fixing the yard that they demolished.

The concrete is stained from the wet concrete that was cut and not cleaned, concrete that is cracked as they called it a curing crack (the concrete was never covered with anything during the cold weather after the pour like it should have been), and a 1” x 12” section of concrete that’s coming up between the basin cap and a stress relief crack... they said it was a courtesy and that none of it’s covered in the warranty as they don’t warranty driveway/exterior concrete even tho it was work that they had done. I really wished I looked up this builder before buying this house! You buy a new house so you don’t have to worry and they don’t give 2 ** after they get your signature and money!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Horrible experience with new home, slanted floors to the point that dresser drawers open on their own, I have to wedge pieces of paper and coins under furniture to level so drawers don't open. Outdoor hinges all rusted in 3 months, builder used indoor hinges on exterior. Air conditioning unit stopped working due to building materials clogging drainage pipe, nearly flooded first floor. Gas leak first week we moved in. Would not recommend this builder to any new home buyers.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Poor experience with finance dept and the actual home is a disaster. I just purchased a brand new home. During the walkthrough period a number of items were found but not all corrected prior to moving in. After moving in I noticed that all the appliances were scratched in every room and very poor quality appliances, wood, faucets and paint were used. The company is saying they will fix my issues. I am giving them 1 week to hand me a schedule of when the issues will be resolved. If they do not Honor their commitment I will sue and move in a heartbeat and inform potential buyers never to look at a Hovnanian home.

Additionally, some of the staff members lie about what truly comes with the home. I don’t want other potential buyers getting sucked into a train wreck of an experience. Buying a home is supposed to feel good and be an enjoyable process. This has been anything but and I have owned many homes in my day. This process has made me sick and I’m scared that I cannot trust the supervisors and VPs of this organization to honor their word. I hope I am wrong. To be continued.

Resolution response: July 9, 2018

KHovnanian, has worked with me, clarified information and resolved the issues to my satisfaction.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Columbia Park townhomes high priced mixed with low income homes. Sales tactics are more like an used car dealership, fail to disclose key aspects of the neighborhood that will potentially affect future value for owners. Place is a rip-off for the type of homes that will be included for low income people, which they hide both in their sales pitch and their website. Even elevations on model homes and renderings miss to disclose affordable housing units mixed with high price homes. Beware of the “FD’ (future development) as these are not your advertised models. Laughable sales pitch like ‘these affordable housing units are for hand picked individuals like Doctors for example’. Are you freaking kidding me? Once you find the true facts and try to get your deposit back they show you what they are in reality. A con operation.

K Hovnanian Builders Company Information