2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

K Hovnanian Builders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

As a military veteran coming home from overseas I took a few months to buy. So I could look around and find the perfect house, I wish I would have seen this site and knew what I know now. First with a VA loan they demanded earnest money which I never had to pay on my 1st home. 10g is a lot but they agreed to reduce to 5g which is still against my better nature. The communication between the loan office and myself with my realtor varied and wasn't 100% positive or reliably fast.

They build the homes here so fast there are many errors and service request I had to put in to be fixed within the 1st thirty days. HVAC was improperly installed, sink made noises, missing wall plugs, inactive wall plugs, wet spots on ceilings, light coming thru doors, window seals improperly sealed, lighting fixtures hanging and not installed properly, garage door closed on roof of my car and they implied it was my fault. Water sprinklers height adjustments varied, sprinklers and grass not placed in position even after 1 month of move in for HOA to monitor. Took forever to get grass people to come start doing their job and they keep damaging my solar lights.

For what we pay HOA this should be a gated community. I'm disappointed in the lack of communication and care because they are quick to ask for positive ratings on surveys and end products. I caught the contractors drinking water from my nozzle behind the house, and no telling how long that's been going on. They still aren't delivering mail to the box and both the post office and builder point fingers at each other so I make a trip everyday to go get my mail.

For what I paid they put in the cheapest fans, didn't put a better finish on garage floor and could have built my patio on opposite side to give me more outside room so city didn't confine me to small space. The walkway in front of my home has weird steps that several people have tripped or fell due to not realizing they are there and or deep. I could go on because every week its something new and friends/family point out things that the builder and I missed during walk thru. I'd rather deploy again and rent this property out. I'm not happy at all.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I bought a KHOV home three years ago in Arizona and my A/C unit is severely undersized and we sweat every summer and the temperature gets below 80 degrees only after midnight. We reached out the builder and the HVAC company who installed it for last few years and the only statement we get back is everything is working as per design. We ended up replacing the AC for 10K to have a better experience. I would strongly recommend to do your home work before purchasing another KHOV home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: July 15, 2020

Hi, I was in contract for an investment property in Casa Grande, AZ that was built by K HOVNANIAN Builders and as usual the sales person tied a $10,000 incentive to the house if I used their KHOV Mortgage Lender. The KHOV Mortgage Lender experience was a total disaster. On the day of closing they pulled from the loan and did not bother to call back to discuss the matter. They did full ssn, income verification and credit checks and did not find anything wrong with my case until the last day where out of the blue the main loan officer Corey ** said he had to restructure the loan and after that he did not bother to discuss the issue. They were about to make me sign loan docs and get it notarized and then they would have said it was null and void. The notary was at my house and I was about to sign the paperwork and then they changed everything.

They were sitting on my file for 3 months and they did all the checks and did not find anything wrong and then at the end they held me accountable for owning another investment property and they not knowing about it. This is totally wrong practice and the sales office is tied to the lending company as they force you to get into contract. They are running a fraudulent practice as it is a full scam. I have lost $3000.00 as token deposit for a new home. I have very good credit, assets, everything but they messed up the whole deal. Their communication is pathetic and they are highly unprofessional and rude. The main person did not bother to call or explain or negotiate the terms and conditions of the loan denial. They wasted my 3 months with all the paperwork and the earnest deposit. DO NOT WORK with them as they are highly unethical and unprofessional people.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Purchased new home site Jan.2020 paid 192k deposit. Requested to revise Palm Beach County bldg permit to include a home featured in this community with 600 sq.ft. extra. Request denied by salesman so I wrote to Ara K Hovnanian President and CEO at 90 Matawan Rd Matawan NJ 07747. Letter was delivered by Fed Ex and signed for by P.**. No response from from Mr. Hovnanian, he referred back to salesman to contact me. No ground broken or work started and Palm Beach County Bldg Dept stated they do revisions all the time. Suggested I contact an attorney for a resolution.

Original review: June 2, 2020

The home is beautiful with a lovely floor plan and great aesthetic look until you live in it and realize there are material quality issues. The paint chips with the slightest nick. They only used one coat and the baseboard wood easily breaks and splinters if pictures falls off a wall. The plumbing is plastic. Pull flowtime valves and 2 of my 4 toilets have sprung a leak at where the main water goes into the tank because the hose connection to the tank went bad. You have to replace the entire valve and hose as they are one unit and you can't just replace these cheap plastic plumbing units hoses for a new better hose.

Every sink every toilet in the house has these cheap plastic valve hose connections, even the kitchen sink and dishwasher. It costs a minimum of $100 a piece to replace each one with a plumber and cutting each one off myself and replacing it with A metal shark bite valve and tubing would take weeks to months or tedious frustrating work, assuming I didn't run into a leak or a problem as an amateur.

You also get no say on what appliances are in your expensive gourmet kitchen. All mine were lower end GE. The dishwasher and leaked once a quarter, not enough you can call a repairman and warranty is gone after 30-60days anyway. It was always so noisy I had to run it only at night or when I left the house and there was soap scum film on dishes unless I used special soap and then it breaks after 3 years.

The microwave is already broken that fits and looks so beautiful in the gourmet kitchen cabinets with its stainless steel cabinet apron. GE won't do anything about it unless I pay them to fix it as it isn't under warranty after 30 days. So I pull out my smaller Sharp microwave that was stored in the hot garage and is around 8 years old and it works great but doesn't fit so well. Now I can see the unfinished inside of the space saver microwave space. I love the floor plan of this house. It is smart. The best one I've ever lived in but why cut so many corners in material quality and then charge us such a high end price!?? I fear what more is going on here I haven't found yet that I will have to spend thousands to fix. That I do not appreciate at all.

Original review: June 1, 2020

Signed contract late Saturday night, wanted to cancel on early Monday morning and told that we couldn't cancel without losing our money. We lost 9,500 dollars and we're told ** by Khov. Do not buy from them.

Original review: May 5, 2020

You'd think that the regulators would be all over this. They in fact briefly outlawed the practice, but quickly reversed themselves since we live in a interesting republic where powerful corporations are free to ... their customers while your government stands idly by. However with knowledge you can save yourself and avoid getting into such an arrangement.

It is not unusual for a mortgage broker to quote the same loan scenario as the preferred lender, and even after taking into account the lost incentives still provide a better deal. In a lot of cases the client still wants to go with the preferred lender because they don't want to lose the $10,000 "incentive." I don't even know what to say. If they are charging you $15,000 more than me for the same rate, then giving you $10,000 back, they are not giving you anything except a portion of your own money back. It's a scam. Be careful and use your mortgage broker or your bank. Never K HOV MORTGAGE.

Original review: May 4, 2020

My husband and I were in the process of buying a home and were in escrow after we jumped many hoops to even get to that point. All was going fine until the Covid-19 virus and KHovnanian lender no longer wanted to fund us and we found out (only because we called them to check the status of the loan) that they had transferred our loan to another company because they were no longer able to help us. So now, we had to start the whole process from start pretty much and jumped to other hoops just to find out that we still could not be funded.

By this time, KHovnanian had already cashed the 1st of 4 payments due for our upgrades and we were told that the only way to get that money back was to purchase another one of their homes! Sure....because we just couldn't wait to go through this hell again! Are you kidding me!?!? I call this extortion! They keep our money and get nothing in return! Seriously?? If you are thinking about buying a home from there... Don't do it. Find a company that will do the right thing when it is no fault of the applicants!

Original review: May 1, 2020

If you make the mistake of contracting with K Hovnanian for a new build, I strongly suggest you hire a third-party Inspector and ensure they inspect at every milestone. You may very well find an incorrectly spec’d HVAC which will cause your upstairs to never get below 78 degrees in the summer. Ensure the Inspectors confirm the outlets won’t trip fuses when you plug in the vacuum cleaner. Also, make sure the builder uses the correct sized nails on the roof or it will fail during the first windstorm like mine did. I called K Hovnanian because it was under the warranty period and they refused to assist, even after the subcontractor that I hired gave me the nails that the builder used and showed me the correct sized nails that should have been used….

Original review: May 1, 2020

I entered into a contract with this developer on Jul 2019, For a home located in Four Seasons Parkland. A adult +55 community. During this 9 months I have visited the home site several times, always to find serious Health issues, first an infestation of bird feces on the frame, there were always bird nests and feces all over the beams, before they closed the ceiling and left them there to die, I found the floor was laid on top of the animal feces and remains. It is disgusting. On top of that the amount of garbage from workers eating on-site left unclear to spoil is just unbearable. I am concern about the animal feces in AC vents can be a health issue to my family. This builder definitely has many health and sanitary issues, I have read other complaining of the same at other homes. If you still decide to buy from them, Be very careful to walk in to a health hazard for your family!

K Hovnanian Builders Company Information