1.3/5 (222 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About K Hovnanian Builders

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

K Hovnanian Builders Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about K Hovnanian Builders?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

KHov did not properly install our Air conditioning unit. Clearly drywalled over a return vent and never even installed the ductwork for it. Project manager tried to tell me that I only needed one return vent for two floors. After fighting with them and getting the original HVAC report, It was clearly marked there should have been two return vents. Kitchen ductwork was not insulated properly which causes excessive condensation, molding and rusting. I have been arguing with KHov since June. Now in September they are slowly working on fixing the problem. I have had holes and or open cavities in my home since June till September.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

We have had nothing but bad experiences with this builder. We have had floor issues and tile issues and they consistently assert, "It's within Limits." We have major cupping on LVT Flooring, nail pops, channel cracking, peeling etc. Ceramic Tile Lippage etc. We identified issues before 1 year anniversary and wait for it, "It's within Limits". As a result of failing Mediation & Arbitration, we are now seeking remedy from the courts. If you think you are buying in a Restricted Deed Community, guess again. This is a 55 & Older Free For All Community!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I moved into my new K. Hovnanian home at the Four Season Terra Lago in Indio, California in January 2022. I've had the main water line to the house fail THREE TIMES in three different locations. All failed elbows or "T's" in the PVC piping. I was told by the KHOV Warranty Representative that during the building of the home there was a shortage of PVC piping and the builder chose to use many additional elbows and "T's" which is probably why these elbows have failed 3 times in 6 months. I am concerned about the future of living in this house.

How many more PVC elbows will fail? Not sure of my warranty but you think the main water line to the house should last 10-20 years or more. My neighbor across the street has had their main waterline break twice in the 6 months they have been in their new house. The builder did mass production and did not pay attention to details. This is just one issue but the biggest because when the main water line breaks you have to shut off the water to the entire house and landscaping.

Original review: July 26, 2022

My mother and my sister purchased their one-story houses in the same community, just a few blocks away from each other. They started the process at the same time and everything was going well UNTIL closing time arrived. Things started to slow down, houses were missing lots of construction materials, windows, doors, and appliances that took almost a year to close. After their closings, which took 2 additional months for my mom and two more months for my sister after the original date. When they moved in, all kinds of errors were found. They showed the builders all the errors and they addressed them. It is today that they still have to call the builders because of the hundred mistakes and damages created by them. Original prices for the houses ended up much higher than what they budgeted. They went from a set budget to a much higher price because the contracts were already locked making it difficult to get out of.

The investment for these homes is not worth the stress so before you buy a property plan from K Hovnanian builders, do your homework, be aware of the process, and show up at the site as many times as you want to just to make sure it is what you want and are paying for. Do not sign until every spot of your house is built to your satisfaction and standards. As a homeowner myself, these builders have a deadline to meet construction completions in order to get paid and due to the rush they miss, skip and jump over details causing the buyers additional expenses that were not in the budget. Take the time to inspect the property while under construction to avoid headaches.

Original review: July 12, 2022

Bought home June 3, 2022. Been there 4 weeks. Air conditioner blows air in living room only, automatic garage door doesn’t work, master bath top drawer facing detached, kitchen cabinet door lower hinge broke on second use, garbage disposal quit today, windows don’t close or lock do to settling, and there is not 24 hour security as advertised. All this in 4 weeks. I submitted a list of repair requests on June 26th and have followed up 4 times since. As of today I have not heard a word from anyone. Just a automatic reply that they received my correspondence. Very discouraging and disappointing. Made moving from Nevada to California even harder not to mention it took the excitement out of a fresh start away. Hard to move in 108 degrees without proper air and the garage door is too hot to even open manually. Running that air is expensive with only one vent working.

Original review: July 8, 2022

Just garbage. Home is so cheaply made. Upgraded pendant lights are plastic. Had the home painted and was never told that the paint is flat and non washable. Now need to have the house painted again. Made the builder come back 4 times to fix the crappy work that was done on the inside and outside and it looks worse than it did to start with. Now having the supervisor come look at the terrible work done to this home. So disappointed. Surprised this company is still in business. Would never recommend this builder to anyone.

Original review: June 15, 2022

We bought a house at Oyster Cove in Lewes Delaware. The place is so nice, it will be very difficult to find such house at this price in the area. As read in previous reviews all is cheap, the supervisor partially on site. We were close to give up before the closing, each visit made as nervous. Buying with KHOV has to be done using inspectors and keeping money in your pocket to solve the issues. Before moving we have repainted all the house, it was a such sloppy job. Each visit needs to be acknowledge by a writing report, in case of doubt request a external expert...

We could rate with one star this builder but the design from the house is great, the small community with space between houses (we have seen few communities) and again to be at less than 15 minutes by bike to the beach .. make us happy. It was an all furnished houses without options. We have no experience with other builders, difficult to compare. I want to point out the very good noise barrier between houses (a unit has two houses), and a long driveway. We will not recommend KHOV, it was a stressful process. Quality is not in the culture from the company. However a custom house will probably cost double... Cheap examples: siding, windows, the doors frames are not probably installed (big gaps with the doors), the terrasse slope is too small and keep water,...

Original review: June 8, 2022

When we first moved in, we complained about the stucco. It didn't have the same texture and looked very thinly applied. They fixed some cracking but didn't address the thin coating. Six year later the stucco is very discolored and Sheetrock is buckling in places. We put a claim in for the 10 year structural warranty and after two weeks of stringing us along (while they tried to track down the stucco company which probably was out of business), they told us they were denying and that the issues were caused by OUR neglect. We are retaining an attorney!

Original review: May 25, 2022

I purchased my home Oct 2020. I paid 100k in upgrades. My home is cosmetically beautiful however it's pretty much a paper machete home. Everything about it is cheap. Incredibly cheap if I didn't live alone I'd have to remodel as my neighbors with children have already had to do. The materials are cheap no quality in anything. Upgrades are a joke. Baseboards were splitting b4 I moved in. Home wasn't cleaned. HVAC kick vents stay broken. Butlers pantry sink had no backsplash, hallway uneven, Gutters not fully attached fence boards splitting Cedar not Redwood. I don't recommend anybody building a home with Khov. They run through staff like

Crazy so there's no support there. I agree with community sentiment. I had to repaint the front because the paint was so cheap it wouldn't cover wood or stucco. Khovs' response was this isn't a custom home what do you expect? This is my 3rd home & 2d new build. The most Horrible Craftmanship I've ever experienced. The only thing decent was the loan process. Nice easy no stress. I've had harder refinances than this entire process.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

We purchased a new home in Baymont Farms, Middletown, DE and moved in Aug, 2021. So, if what I know now would I have purchased this home! Absolutely NOT!! Why? Here are some reasons for this statement:

Poor quality for the price paid. See pics for examples.
    Many unresolved issues after settlement. I have submitted 24 service tickets to date w/ only about 1/3 completed.
    The sub-contractors used by KHov don't know what they are doing.
    The sub-contractors used by KHov don't care.
    The sub-contractors lack much needed supervision by KHov.
    Poor quality materials used for construction, see pics.
    Standard options they offer are low-cost & are a joke to even offer.
    The upgrades are also a joke!!!
    We have been having high winds and it sounds like our home is going to blow over; remember 'The Three Little Pigs'!
    The club house is still not open to date but we are being charged for HOA fees!

Oh! And BTW they boast a resort style pool. The pool is on 31/2 feet deep!!

I could go on & on but only have one main point to make. DON'T EVER CONSIDER BUYING HERE, YOU WILL BE GREATLY DISAPPOINTED.

K Hovnanian Builders Company Information