Find a Real Estate Websites partner

Help me decide

3.9/5 (728 ratings)
Find a Real Estate Websites partner

Looking to buy or sell your home?

MyAgentFinder can help you find the right agent.

Find My Agent

About Zillow.com

Looking to buy or sell your home?

MyAgentFinder can help you find the right agent.

Find My Agent

Zillow.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

We sold our home almost 2 years ago, Zillow gave us a very accurate price to work with. It also helped us negotiate when we purchased our new home. We still use Zillow to track the value of our new home.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I use Zillow mostly to check the current value of my house. I also look at the other properties in my association for comparison. It also shows me possible rental values as well as the real estate costs if I ever decide to sell.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I bought my mobile home through Zillow and I got a really good deal on a beautiful mobile home in my price range. Paid cash for it! The only thing that bothered me was no central air or heating. Took care of those. So all is good now. Well working on the air conditioner.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I've looked at other companies but no help. This company was the only one that took time to make sure I was ok and satisfied with their services. I was taken to properties. Shown around and in good time.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Helpful for identifying houses on the market, connecting to information about neighborhoods, and getting a general feel for the market, but the listings were almost always out of date, and often connecting to talk to someone/view a home only resulted in waves of automated calls. Definitely need to work directly with a realtor, Zillow is only a first step.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

A complete but not always accurate database that is easy to use. It is updated daily and for consumers is always a first stop with good graphics and pictures. Still it is highly recommended regardless of any deficiencies.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Zestimate is too floppy and goes up and down too often. It would be great if it was more balanced. Also please publish the sale price of homes nearby and it will have more accuracy on what homes are worth.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I have now listed two properties in the last years since Zillow started charging weekly. Both properties were mid-advertised using a mapping tool that improperly located my rental in my city's outskirts. It takes them a full week to correct the error because Zillow refuses to correct a known error. I'm losing potential clients by the hour. Please fix!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

All my past sales have been wiped off from Zillow profile. They sent an automated email stating that this have been restored on Jan 21, 2021. However, only 3 of my past 9 sales have been restored. Now, I can't even add my other sales. It wipes off right away. I have sent 3 online requests, called and left them Voice Message, nothing worked so far. Zillow unjustly and dis-proportionately acted on my case. I feel like I was not treated fairly. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I would like to take legal action against Zillow. Although they claim they use data and algorithms to provide “Zestimates” they cause harm by not investigating swings in their own programs. They literally overnight changed the value of my property in a 16 newer house community to half its value for no reason or explanation. They did not respond to a complaint directly through their system. A house in the neighborhood just sold which is almost identical to mine for well beyond what they paid originally 6 years ago. So there is no rhyme or reason. It’s frustrating to an owner and to neighbors. They should not be allowed to post just irregularities. They should have to provide reasons for changes especially those beyond a few percentage points. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

They are saying the house I live in and have owned for 25 years sold last month for a really low amount. Do not believe what they put on their site. I have called emailed and did a report on their site and nothing happens. Just remember their info is not accurate.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I admit I was lured in and thought everything was legit. I started the process and talked with someone from Zillow over the next few weeks and scheduled an appraiser to visit my home. He was very nice and professional and completed it. After that I just waited and my emails went unanswered for a few days. The guy finally calls me back and brings someone else on the line to tell me about some sinkhole activity in the county I live in. Let’s be clear, not anywhere near me but rather in the county. He then proceeds to tell me that they weren’t going to proceed and tries to sell me on a local realtor that “word with them”.

There aren’t enough words to describe how pissed I was. It was all a huge waste of time an resources not to mention the lost money from calling off work to meet the appraiser. Don’t you think they would do research before providing the initial offer? I mean it makes sense to me but I guess they don’t have any sense. Then to make it worse you try To sell me one of your local realtors??? I shared my thoughts with Zillow only For them to respond back with excuses and then try to give me what if scenarios... Unfortunately I don’t deal with the what I’d rather reality. The reality is that Zillow failed to do what they offer. They failed to value me or my time.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Zillow provides two services:

1. Free home search tools to homebuyers

2. Paid lead generation for real estate agents

The majority of the reviews on this site clearly are from the former group, reviewing the latter group. But they're just rating the excellent agents that are not affiliated with Zillow, outside of paying Zillow for those leads. The issue is, the paid lead generation (aka Zillow Premier Agent), in our experience, is a HORRIBLE service for real estate agents like ourselves, and Zillow itself treats its paying customers (at least us and many other agents we've spoken to) terribly. So the ratings on this site are deceivingly positive, when the truth is that Zillow itself is destroying the livelihood of agents like us by not being upfront about their lead generation service.

We invested over $36,000 into Zillow lead generation and got nothing for it. Only after being locked into a contract for 6 months, did we find out that LEADS ARE NOT EXCLUSIVE. Agents, read that again. The leads you PAY FOR (in SoCal they're often $800+ per lead) are NOT exclusive to you. You have 30 days to get the lead to proactively opt-in to an exclusivity agreement with you—if they don't respond or decline the invite, they go back into the pool for other agents.

As we all know, leads are often unresponsive in the beginning, so this system is designed for failure. This allows Zillow to make money on the same lead sent to multiple paying advertisers. I don't know about you, but if I had known that upfront I NEVER would have signed up. The contract doesn't mention this anywhere, neither does the sales representative. Neither does the website training documents, or the onboarding manuals/conversations you have with your account rep. You are left to figure this hindrance out for yourself, and once you do, they refuse to let you out of your contract for any reason.

On top of this, the majority of the "leads" you get are people who think you're either a Zillow employee, or the listing agent. They very often already have agents representing them, and are just calling for info on the property, not because they're interested in hiring a buyer's agent. So you're paying hundreds of dollars to talk to waste-of-time tire kickers with absolutely no intention of ever using you. In a response to my BBB complaint, Zillow claimed "We provide agent-ready buyer leads to local real estate agents and in that process, these leads remain exclusive to the agent we connect them with." This is objectively false on several accounts. The leads are not agent-ready, as explained above, and they're not exclusive!

In my opinion, Zillow is destroying the real estate industry through deceptive practices. It's ironic, since Zillow can attribute its success directly to the realtors from whom it originally "borrowed" the MLS listings that realtors have to pay for the privilege to post to. Now, Zillow is opening its own brokerage, literally stepping on the heads of the industry professionals they used to get to where they are in the process. This company, in my opinion, does NOT have agents' best interests at heart, and in fact deceives them with false promises and lack of transparency relating to the severe limitations voluntarily implemented by them in their own system. Let this be a stern warning to any other agent thinking of investing, you could easily end up like me—out almost $40k with nothing to show for it.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Liked a Zillow listing for property for sale. 5.4 acres in Folsom, LA. A Zillow Rep. connected me with an agent who knew nothing about property and said he would call me back. No call back. In the meantime, the Zillow Rep texts me to see if all went well. I reply no help at all. He asks to connect me with another agent and does and this agent says it’s a FSBO so he cannot help either. Get another text from Zillow Rep and I relay info given to me by agent and he then asks again if he can connect me with an agent????

I ask if I can speak with owner who listed it and he says there is a number on page and I call it to find out this person is in Memphis, TN and he has an “equitable interest” in the property but not owner and “the owner very hard to reach”. I ask about seeing property and plot lines and he has not gotten back with me. When you go to the approx. location as shown on Zillow no for sale sign so no way to know where it is or owner. Does Zillow verify property it lists??? What a waste of time!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

My condo building has 72 units and 8 are the same largest model. Zillow has the value of these larger units far below market. The condo adjacent to mine they says is valued at $557 per sq ft while my unit they have at less than $400! My unit has over the adjacent one, HVAC, over 180 degree view over water and to Mt. Rainier. It is top floor, has no posts, has ungraded cabinets, clear story windows and 10' ceilings, and much more. The comps they use (condos in neighborhood and this building) do not have these upgrades. This situation would not a bad thing but my unit is for sale and their value could seriously affect my sale price.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

Do not, purchase leads from Zillow. The sale people remind of a timeshare salesperson. They are very pushy and will say anything to get the sale. The Zillow reps do not provide you with a detailed information to make an informed decision. I spent $3000 with Zillow and received the worst service imaginable. I only signed up because I heard it was different. It’s not different spend your money elsewhere. Zillow is a pure waste of money and time if you’re a Realtor looking for a good lead source. I will never use Zillow again, ever. If I could make it happen I would not allow them to use my listing or my information. DO NOT PURCHASE LEADS FROM ZILLOW!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Okay, 4.5% in fees no problem with selling your home with Zillow ~~~ BUT, beware of the added bogus fees for things like Landscaping, when I live in an HOA community that takes immaculate care of the property? Or, that my sump pump doesn't work, yet it is a 4-year-old home with a new sump pump that I tested with 2 buckets of water myself. They had this guy come out for two hours to inspect the home, yet he stated that the sump pump was bad without asking for water from my husband so he could legitimately test the pump. So, like anyone that rebuts these bogus fees, I replied to the Zillow Group about these bogus charges. They emailed me with their reply, asking if I could prove my sump pump works, so she could remove those additional fees.

She wanted a video of me putting water into the sump pump to see if it was in working order, yet your inspector never did what you are asking me to do?? I decided not to video this process as it was requested of me because after reading reviews on Youtube and here that this is common practice to tack on these bogus charges that basically increase their cut and decrease my bottom line. Some families may be desperate to sell, but don't allow Zillow to take away from your bottom line.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Updated on 03/02/2021: Zillow is a loosely built, poorly designed and horribly maintained website that has no criteria for posting properties, screening real estate agents, checking for the validity of information or correcting major errors. I have tried for over a year to find a waterfront, vacant lot property in northern Michigan, Northern Minnesota or Northern Wisconsin. All of these areas have literally thousands of waterfront properties for sale but you will not be able to find one, learn FACTS about the property, find a WILLING agent to represent you or buy one. Why? Reread the first sentence above. At least one third, and probably closer to one half, of the properties they emailed me are NOT WATERFRONT PROPERTIES.

I provided them with feedback on DOZENS of their errors and the errors were NEVER corrected and their search engines got worse and not better. They did not care. Eventually, more than half of their postings had so little information that I was FORCED to push the "contact an agent" icon to put up with numerous calls from, texts from and emails from agents who had NEVER seen the property, were unsure where it was, were not interested finding information about the property or providing assistance of any kind. I was not looking for a home or a huge tract of land for which the sale would make them thousands of dollars for doing little if anything so they were not interested. I reported these to Zillow and surprise, they did NOTHING.

Why would a Realtor let a website put their contact information on their website if they had no intention of trying to sell it? Many of them have other jobs or are stay at home couch potatoes who are not Realtors is my guess. Several of them had no knowledge of standard Real Estate practices. Since my search was not limited to one area, so I could not find and hire a LICENSED REALTOR who belongs to the National Association of Realtors (NAR) to do a MLS search and send me the MLS listings. When it became clear that I was going to have to drive up there with my camping trailer next summer and look for a property by myself, I decided to go to Mexico next winter and see what I can find along the Baja coast.

If you choose to have an account with Zillow.com, you will be supporting this scam of a business and become part of the problem. If we can kill Zillow and their website, a real business could enter the market and provide real services for a small monthly fee that would actually help you rather than increase your frustration level to a 10+. Out-of-control Capitalism is killing this country and by allowing companies like this to stay in business we are complicit.

Original Review: I've been looking for a small acreage on a waterfront in a far away state. I find that Zillow is not well organized and not motivated to assist buyers. Zillow allows properties to be listed with very little information and/or incorrect information forcing potential buyers to contact one of Zillow's listed agents who often know little or nothing about the properties or the sellers. These agents refuse to answer any questions that I ask in my initial contact email forcing me to either ignore them and look elsewhere or talk to them on the phone.

On the phone I get sketchy answers at best (as noted, they often have never seen the property or seen a real MLS listing). These agents want to provide a Zoom or FaceTime "showing," without ever answering your question(s). If you have unlimited time to entertain these agents going through three or four "showings" every weekend, good for you. I do not have unlimited time. I want the agents to answer my questions to see if the property fits my criteria BEFORE wasting my time with the agent's hard sell "showing." It is impossible to do this.

I have given Zillow more than a dozen complaints about the horrible listings they allow. Not one has been changed. My saved searches always contain the "waterfront" criteria. About a third of the properties Zillow sends to me are not on a waterfront. I get to waste my time going to the Zillow website trying to determine if the property has this deal breaker criteria. Apparently, Zillow is in business for real estate agents but I cannot see how either Zillow or the agents to whom they cater actually make sales. Their horrible customer service is off putting at best and almost always crazy making.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Realtors pay Zillow for only 5 star reviews. There are no negative reviews allowed to be published. Fake on many positives. Do not trust this site for anything legit being said on agents. Run far away from this site.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

BEWARE and THINK ABOUT SUING Zillow!!! Their Zestimate Tool undermines and sabotages any discounts you provide to potential buyers. Your house valuation goes down with every discount/reduction. So buyers do not believe they are getting a good deal. My house valuation went down 7+% in 6 months while many of the 1000+ home in my community stayed flat. I suggest everyone who is selling their house to start collecting the valuations around you every week. If you see irregular patterns, think about suing. It is an easy case for anyone to understand and will easily side with you. Good luck!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Listed our home FSBO with Zillow with an adjusted price of 309,900. Our home is approximately 2500 square feet which is larger than other homes sold the past 6 months in our neighborhood. Zillow gave us a zestimate of approximately $265k, even though our appraiser gave us a letter stating we priced our home correctly. Another home in the neighborhood listed for $326k received a zestimate exactly for the amount they were asking even though that house was smaller by over 100 square feet. I edited our listing to show additional benefits of our home to help the zestimate but to no avail, they will not respond either to phone calls or emails to discuss this or make the necessary adjustment. They are useless and I will pull my listing and pursue other options. My recommendation DO NOT LIST WITH ZILLOW, will only hurt your chances of a sale.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

Found a home listed under Zillow and realtor Kris **. Showed that she had not sold a home in a long time. Set a 5pm appt. on a weekday after work. She showed up late, smelled of booze and could not walk or speak clearly. We were embarrassed and did not wish to continue past the front door. She haunted us for 3 weeks till I was flat nasty with her.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I have a well maintained 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath home, with pool, that Zillow had low priced at $304,512 in August of 2020. In September 2020, they dropped its estimate to $246,112. My problem is, they are setting low market prices - with no recourse. They say it's only an estimate, but the truth is you now have to go to extraordinary lengths to prove they are wrong. They do this with no requirement to explain or justify their actions. For most folks, a home purchase is their single highest investment/purchase. What are folks to do when a big unapproachable entity publicly devalues their retirement savings by 19% over the course of just 30 days? Keep in mind this is real estate, not the stock market.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Bought my 2,300 Sq Ft home for 138,000 four years ago. Zillow agreed with the valuation, and then raised that evaluation over the next 2 years into the 160,000 range. Then for some unknown reason they dropped my home value to $88,000. Even though every other company now lists my home in the $180,000's. I have reached out to them multiple times to correct this mistake. THEY WILL NOT RESPOND. HORRIBLE COMPANY.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Have used Zillow for years to advertise rental houses, but with the change to require us to go through Zillow for calls and texts (they now assign a new phone number "to prevent scammers"), calls are recorded, and text only allows the party to put in their e-mail address. When the service was free it worked much better. This change is requiring me to advertise rentals on other sites. I will not be utilizing Zillow. We no longer get the leads we did before the phone number change. No response from customer service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Zillow's "zestimate" for my property, which is worth $330,000 according to a written appraisal, is $254,000. The neighbors' property, 300 square feet less and untouched since 1984 is also $254,000. Is this because Zillow is starting to buy homes and they want to drive values down? I complained and all I hear is CRICKETS. Not even the courtesy of a reply.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I purchased a home in May of this year listed on Zillow. From word go, it was awful. Had to negotiate for all kinds of things left undone. The worst is not connecting the microwave vent hood to the outside. Closing would have been a nightmare but my agent saved the day. Zillow has no office in Houston to serve clients. You have to take a stack of about 100 sheets that you print yourself to a notary, have them notarized, scan them in and send the paper copy in to them. They will not accept a check at closing, it has to be electronic transfer. After closing, I was not given a key to the mailbox or a garage door opener. I had to purchase a closer and program. The key was obtained by going to the post office and requesting a new key which required installing a new lock. If a house is listed on Zillow run as fast as you can.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

We listed our home For Sale By Owner on Zillow. Shortly after we decided to use a realtor and he said we would need to deactivate our Zillow listing. Zillow refuses to deactivate it. The MLS photos do not appear because Zillow will not let me, the owner, delete my For Sale By Owner listing. When I try to deactivate/delete the listing a message appears that says, this listing is now on the MLS and can only be controlled by the realtor. The realtor is unable to delete the pictures that I had uploaded because they were placed by owner. The realtor has our new pictures viewable through the MLS and any other site.

After 30 days of requests Zillow still refuses to correct the situation. There is no phone number to call. There is a corporate number that directs you to a voicemail but it is VRS and goes to a full mailbox. Really? Zillow cannot afford to staff a live person or empty their voicemail to legitimately take calls? They can't correct a situation after 30 days? I am told by my realtor that in the fine print Zillow uses a persons ad even after the listing is deactivated for advertising. I just want the listing corrected. I do not have any confidence in the Zillow system, their Zestimate or any of their products.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I am so frustrated with our PAID Zillow listing. Zillow is not allowing us to edit the listing, and is showing inaccurate descriptions of our home. Moreover, there is no way to customer service. I have tried emailing, calling for weeks now with no response. I even tried deleting our posting and paying for a brand new listing, but instead they just reposted the old, inaccurate details again. I wish we could reach the same number of renters through other Great services like Avail, but unfortunately the largest pool applies through Zillow. Don’t expect any support from this horrific company.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

Will not update their site for six months now. My property is inaccurately listed with a real estate that I am not working with. I have tried for months to contact them and still no contact! My property listing is sparse and stuck with false information, and no way to contact me. Affects the listing and selling of my property greatly. This is a widely used tool to look real estate up. It is a subpar listing and has the contact information wrong. I have tried to contact Zillow via phone, customer service, complaint via their website... and nothing. Apparently and unfortunately there is another company that is also doing the same thing. It is a nightmare.

Zillow.com Company Information