1.17/5

525 Zillow.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2019

Despite half a dozen inquiries from me and my real estate agent, Zillow.com still shows my currently listed home as unlisted. This is clearly an error on their end - one that my realtor assures me happens pretty frequently – yet they refuse to fix it. Good luck getting a human being to respond to you. It must be among the worst customer service experiences I’ve encountered.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I always kind of knew that Zillow assessments were crap and I just proved it. It sucks if you are really trying to refinance or sell because assessors these days look upon Zillow as a sort of bible, which is also crap because if that is true then who needs them if they can't read the market and make a fair assessment. I receive these monthly/bi-monthly emails from Zillow on the value of my house. In January 2019 they sent that my house was valued at $195,794. In March 2019 they sent an email saying my value was at $191,342. Then in April 2019, I received an email that the value of my home was $166,371 with a big green arrow saying that my home value was up. What the hell?? Algorithm fail?

I seriously hope that if you are trying to refinance or get a mortgage that you do your own homework and take it to the assessor or bank and ask them to show you the formula for how they came to their number and then you bring them your own paperwork and comps and such with your own number. It's all about the risk to a bank and if they were against risk then 2008 wouldn't have happened, right? It can't hurt to advocate for yourself. You are your own advocate. Good luck out there.

Original review: May 12, 2019

These people are a nightmare!! We aren't even listed with them. Our home is not for sale, not in pre-foreclosure, not up for auction!! Our home has been in loan modification, was approved by our first lender, sold to another lender and is in final review. We have been told by our lender that all is approved. Zillow and Auction.com will not remove the false listing!! They both tell us to have the mortgage company just call them... Per both of our lenders, "we don't call Zillow or Auciton.com". Both mortgage companies are saying this is a scam and will be initiating legal action. We are in contact with our attorney as well. This happened the first time in Feb 2019, and was removed immediately by Zillow. Now somehow they just can't remove it. This was re-posted a week ago and now they won't remove it!! Avoid Auction.com and Zillow at all cost. They listed this on their own, we never contacted them.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My home was rated at $1,819,000 just two weeks ago. Zillow lowers it appraised value daily to where it is now $1,299,000. Homes within a one mile radius have a square foot value when listing and or sell that place my place at its original value. They appear to disregard the fact that we have 3 acres, a 50' RV building, a 1,000 SF guest house plus many other positives. No HOA, no well, city water and services. As a true appraisal it is a joke and misleading. A retired AF major.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Inaccurate, where do they get the data? This description is totally wrong! The house is a single family home over 2100 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 and 1/2 baths with ocean views on a larger than 6500 square foot lot, electric gated entry, large concrete driveway, oversize garage and top of the line appliances and finishes. Visualize granite and marble counter tops, upper end cabinets with soft close doors, premium flooring and carpet, solid core interior doors and large view deck overlooking low maintenance landscaping. Great for pets and/or children, quiet area next to park. No Neighbors to the west, 150 feet off the street, Quiet and Private!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Original review: May 9, 2019

Spent the time to list my 3 properties. They never showed up, I never once got an email. I put in about 10 support tickets and they would open them, read them and close them without a response. Never once had a support agent say a single word to me. I have legitimate listings and own these. I've never seen anything like it. Don't spend the time, just avoid it.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Paid for a six month campaign. Really just got lucky at first because most of the leads if not all are all garbage. Tried complaining. All they wanted to do was upsell me and make me pay for more never using again. I don’t understand how they’re still in business.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Attention All Real Estate Agents!!! Be careful before you do business with Zillow, when you pay for a certain Zip code to run your Lead Generation Campaign as a Realtor. They will promise a lot and under deliver and sometimes they don't deliver at all, they will take money and try to sell you three times of what your Budget is. The contract that they have written it 100% to their Favor and it to Protect them and is unfair. If you get in this kind of situation contact your state Department of Consumer Affair and Attorney General. The Realtors work hard, and do not need scammers.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Briefly. My Zestimate went from 600k a year ago to 467k this month. Been in the house 8 years and paid more for it then. Tax appraisal is $ 545K now. House next to mine cost 100k less than mine, has an Zestimate of 20k more than mine and a house two doors away exactly like mine with similar options, same property size but my options increased the SF on mine by 750 SF, has a Zestimate of $599k. There is zero consistency. Their logarithms are incorrect and their effect on people trying to sell their homes can be devastating They are shrewd, crooked and should be nobody's source for home values. Get an appraisal by an accredited appraiser in your area and go with that.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Applied within minutes of listing on Zillow. They ignored my application and leased to someone who they had on record searching for apt. Devastated at losing option for apt I viewed and told lease holder I wanted. All his efforts to get me an app were ignored.

Original review: April 30, 2019

6 weeks before I listed my house FSBO my Zestimate was 219,000+ With a high range of 244k. Two days after it was listed my Zestimate was suddenly 179,000+. My home was appraised in 2011 at 200k. Many upgrades and an increase in market conditions of more than 50% to date. Checked my next door neighbor, much smaller house, older house, less beds and baths, Zestimate over 220k.

I emailed Zillow begging them to please adjust my Zestimate, that something must be terribly wrong!. Every email was the same answer... The Alogiragram or whatever they call it, saying they have no control over how values are determined and that they just had an update to the system and that's why my value was affected. DUH! I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box but I'm no fool. Zillow DID and IS manipulating Zestimates! They should be sued and shut down! Sellers BEWARE!

Original review: April 30, 2019

We paid $55,000 more for our home than is listed on Zillow. It is inaccurate. Bothersome for people who are nosy enough to see what we paid and inaccurate for others who want to know the value of their home and the taxes they may incur. They need to get their facts straight. Realtor.com is much more accurate.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Yes Zillow and Zillow Zestimate are a scam just like the other reviews. I initially saw the market value of my house go up in value the next two years per Zillow and Zillow Zestimate and Zillow marketing graph. The Zillow Market graph shows that my house value will go up into the year 2020 so I decided to list my house for sale by owner on Zillow the day I entered the information and got a confirmation email that my listing was live. My property value Zestimate decrease by $50,000. One month later my house decreased another $7,000 on Zestimate.

Here is the second part of the scam. Last week I had over 1,500 views and 51 saves. Then 3 days later I had only 1100 views and 41 C's. How is that possible? Zillow is manipulating the metrics so you have to list with a real estate agent. The real estate agents pay Premiere Zillow real estate agent money. This is how the Zillow scam works. This is how Zillow makes their money. Attached is the Zillow Market graph for my area. Clearly shows the house market increasing but they decreased my house value by almost $60,000. Also be careful of HouseCanary appraisals. Same type of scenario.

Original review: April 29, 2019

This review is to be as factual and impartial as possible. I am writing it 2 weeks after the fact so that I am calm about the information and my options I state. I recently had Zillow make an offer on my house without a realtor to represent me. Below is listed the numbers they provided. Paint the exterior of the house to cover all discolorations caused from age and exposed elements. Sand and paint or stain cabinets in the kitchen to cover any scratches and make them appear as new. Whole house touch up of any dents or holes in the drywall and match the texture to the current texture of drywall. Room by room paint touch ups of any faded, scratched or chipped paint, best matching the current color. Paint $135 per 5 gallon, 5 Gallons covers 2000 sq. ft. Repaint Interior and Exterior 50 Gallons. Over Estimate. Total $1350 x 3 to include labor cost. $4050.

Remove and replace front door with fiberglass standard. Replace damaged service door with new door, weather stripping and casting at bonus room. Replace damaged French doors in the bonus room. French Door to replace old door. $642x3 to include labor $1926. Replace Front door $961.X3 for labor $2883. Purchase, deliver and install new dishwasher and microwave. Dishwasher. $399.00x3 for install, labor $1200. Microwave. $249x3 for labor $750. Estimated cost to do repairs without hiring someone. $3600 (all items found on Lowe's). Estimate cost to do repairs with hiring someone: $10000 (Contractor Cost is an estimate). Zillow's estimate: $28078. All Items listed on the repair sheet are classified as upgrades in the Real Estate field.

Outside of these items Zillow did no breakdown the cost for me as they stated they would in phone conversations. The only cost breakdown I got was in reference to overall cost. Initial offer was $274999, which is a good price and fair value. Initial Estimate of all cost was $24199. This included all closing costs, fees, and an estimated repair cost. Comes out to about 9%. Average Realtors in my area costs cover about 8% so very competitive.

After their home inspection the new offer that came back was still $274999 with the following fees added. $18425 for Service, $28078 for Seller Concession (“repairs”), $2596 for Closing Cost. I would walk away with $225900, I bought the house for $236000. I would walk away negative $9000 after my house value went up $40000.

After receiving all the information, Heather ** was rude once I told them how absurd their offer was. Additionally, they sent over 2 documents after I told them I was not interested in selling to them for their end price. The first was the overall sell of the house for my review if I wished to change my mind. The second document they sent was a document for me to agree to use them as my realtor, this was not explained to me by them in any way or was I warned this document coming.

My realtor read all the documents Zillow sent me and informed me of what each document was. I have copies of all the documents, and I am more than willing to share them to those that ask (email **). Overall unless your house is perfect and you owe nothing on it, I highly recommend you take the time and use a licensed realtor in your area to sell your home and get a fair and full value of it. If you are in a rush and money is not an issue feel free to use this system.

Original review: April 27, 2019

As an agent in Vancouver, WA I followed the instructions to post a video onto Zillow. It was a simple process and seemed easy but the video never appeared after 3 tries. I called for help and a disgruntled Zillow rep said he would fix it but it still never posted. I called in 3 times and got the same bad attitude and the same results. I get the attitude. They work for a bad company and deal with the same issues all day long. They know the system is broken and they can or will do nothing about it but must spout out lies saying, "We will help you" and "We will post this for you." I have followed up with emails letting them know it still is not posted but no replies.

Original review: April 25, 2019

While navigating Zillow's website, I was offered to take a survey in exchange for Samsung 9, I did. I completed and complied with all requirements, including CC transaction to pay for shipping of new Samsung. Transaction denied, 3 times.

Original review: April 25, 2019

The quality of leads as a Zillow Premier Agent are horrible. Do not spend your hard earned money like I did, and have it be thrown in the ocean. I have spent approximately $50,000 with only 1 conversion. Almost everyone who calls, texts, or emails you is already working with a real estate agent. These leads are supposed to be vetted by the Premier Agent team; however, just about every lead I have spoken with is already working with their own real estate agent. Zillow has little to no value.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I have spent days and days re-entering photos. The sellers who hired me to market and sell their home, have also spent many hours trying to correct the photos. All of the other major Real Estate marketing companies like Realtor.com, Movoto, Redfin, and all that specifically update photos from MLS have the current photos. Zillow says it's a Broker feed and though I've deleted and re-enter 3 times, they tell the seller it's the agent's issue. My Broker says it's Zillow that won't update.

I have spent soo much time trying to make sure that this home is correctly represented. Yet Zillow just WILL NOT RECTIFY THE SITUATION. This incredibly frustrating for me as an agent but even worse, it reflects badly on the entire industry. Please tell Zillow when the photos are incorrect and trust your agent when they tell you that they are trying to correct or change, or delete photos. Zillow, please do the right thing.

Original review: April 18, 2019

While I recognize that the Zestimate is an approximation, our exact Zestimate was 320 with a range of 304-340k. Zillow proclaims that their Zestimate feature has a median margin of error of 4%. Zillow offered 272k for my house as an initial offer without even seeing the home. The Zestimate is projecting at 332k in 12 months which is indicative of an increase in home value of 4% in a year. In addition, Zillow also features 36k in fees for selling my home to them which equates to a 13% hit on profits. This does NOT include the 6% commission that would have gone to my realtor.

Zillow is not serious about purchasing houses. Zillow is using this tool to generate leads for their home mortgage business (when I purchase a new house) and for providing leads to agents that agree to advertise with them. When I had no interest in Zillow mortgages and no interest in any of their real estate agents, Zillow came in remarkably below their own provided Zestimates. I couldn't encourage folks to avoid this product, enough. Total sham and a waste of time and energy.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I spent time writing a review of my real estate agent who helped me purchase a condo in Trump International, Las Vegas. The request was made by Zillow. After I submitted it, it went into a black hole and disappeared. It was not published. I was pretty annoyed because I wasted my time writing for such an unprofessional outfit. I am not surprised to know the company cannot get accreditation.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had Zillow ads pulled down. At first they told me one reason and then when I satisfied their request for what they needed they told me a different reason... There needs to be some serious government oversight of this company as there is no phone number to call and no one ever responds with truthful answers timely.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Cortland North Brookhaven formerly the Exchange at North Haven complex is the worst. Renter beware. Looks like they changed the name of the complex from Exchange at North Haven because of all the bad reviews it has received. Clever. Changing the name of the complex doesn't change the fact that complex is pure trash. Noise, dirty, inadequate leasing office. VERY unprofessional.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Zillow is terrible when it comes to estimating supposed values of homes and their information is totally false and inaccurate. They reported that our home had been sold to FNMA a few years back for only $495,000 and this has never happened. Also they only have half the story on this home and the fact that there are NO comparables since this is a totally custom home on 1.67 acres with large structures on two levels- the home on the upper level and the large 4 car garage with offices/art studio below and separated by a $70,000 built, paved road. Also fantastic views 360 degrees from the home and over 180 degrees from the structure down below. The detached garage is over 3,000 sq. ft and the home is nearly 3,700 so the reporting is totally incomplete now that I have listed it or sale and the main picture shows how improved this property is.

When I found out nasty, corrupt Bank of America is a supposed sponsor and more than likely a partner I could see the connection and how B of A would love to keep the values of people's property way down in case they have to foreclose and continue to steal property using false, fabricated, phony and even robosigned documents. The CFPB has probably close to 10,000 complaints OR MORE and they will do nothing against the likes of Zillow, Bank of America, and all their "co-conspirators" like Shellpoint Mtg., Seterus, and now Mr. Cooper which is really Nationstar and just read on the Internet about how crooked and corrupt Nationstar was and still is now operating under the new name of Mr. Cooper. They lie and pull the same tricks that Seterus did to me. Cooper is already trying to collect late fees and inspection fees that they are NOT allowed to charge unless a payment goes beyond the 17th of each and every month.

I have been charged thousands of dollars by all these crooks and continue to hang in there but certainly NO help whatsoever from anyone. I am a 75 year old Vietnam Veteran and this is more than totally unfair. Our very own government is involved with GSE taking over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac back in 2008. All this is nothing but a big Ponzi Scheme that continues to this day and lenders steal homes using fake and phony companies like MERS that the lenders even created, and using completely false, fabricated, phony, and even "robosigned documents" like they did to me. It is a real travesty to all of us Americans and Veterans that our government is a part of this and screwing millions out of their property over the last 12+ years.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I am an agent and have tried and tried to get someone anyone with customer service to delete an old old profile of mine from 10 yrs ago! I have followed all their directions from their "help" section and nothing!! They don't even follow their own directions from the site. So there sits a very old profile of mine with very outdated information of mine and the company I was with is no longer in business!! Has all outdated information on the site! I will NEVER advertise on this site again! They are the absolute worst!!! You've been warned!

Original review: April 8, 2019

I am a homeowner who became ill and fell behind in my mortgage. While working with my mortgage company, my house went into a Pre-foreclosure status. My lender was great and worked with me to get this resolved and catch up on payments. Zillow LED vultures to my door, phone ringing night and day, notes on my door, a roofer atop my home, and people walking my property. Did I mention, this went on long after I was in good stead with my lender?

One thing they all said - "I saw your house on Zillow!" I finally contacted Zillow and they have finally listed my home as "SOLD"! No one should do business with a company that does not bother to follow-up to see if a "foreclosure" is real and still in force. These people are, sloppy and they encourage vultures. No wonder real estate people have such bad reputations.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I put my house on the market with the help of my daughter who is a real estate agent. Zillow said she could not list with Zillow since she is not a member of MLS but it could be done as FSBO. She put in all the information including photos. What Zillow posted is not the description she wrote and no photos. Instead they posted a listing description from a previous listing agent when I bought the house 7 years ago. The information is old, inaccurate and incomplete plus it makes it look like we plagiarized that agent's work. The square footage is wrong which makes the asking price look unreasonable per square ft. All we get are phone calls from as much as hundreds of miles away from agents wanting to list the property. My daughter has tried twice to edit the listing with no success. She tried to delete it off the site but that does not work either. All of this can be detrimental to my selling the property. I feel trapped and deceived.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I am thinking of selling my house and the idea of not having to go through the inconvenience and stress of having home showings, open houses and the constant burden of selling was appealing to me so I contacted Zillow. I had a pleasant young man take my information and provide an offer that was below their "Zestimate" of $299K, at ~$280, then minus fees and charges. While this sounded a bit much, they then offered a "free inspection" with no obligation so they could assess the condition of the property and determine if there is a need for repairs, cleaning, painting etc.

When I had contacted Opendoor regarding this same process, they required a contingent signature so I thought, with Zillow, at least I didn't have to sign anything. As part of this upfront process, they required I submit a few pictures of my property as part of the purchase offer price. They asked for a few pictures of the floors, appliances, etc. which all seemed reasonable if they were going to provide an offer in return.

The "inspector" came out on a Sunday, was prompt and friendly. I was recovering from an illness so I did not have the energy to follow him from area to area of the house so allowed him to do his "inspection" and let me know if he had any questions. I heard one faucet turn on, he switched on my A/C and ran the garbage disposal. His remaining time here was spent taking pictures on his high resolution iPad. Interestingly he had no interest in seeing some of the areas of the home but, being that I was on some cold medication and feeling unwell, I chalked it up to they saw the home was in great condition and didn't need to document every square inch.

My home is 1,700 square feet so, as you can imagine, he took a lot of pictures of certain things, being here nearly an hour. I have had home inspections before and, a true inspection, does require things like inspecting the attic, checking the hot water (he did not run the faucet long enough for hot water to get through the pipe), hot water heater, irrigation system, drains and toilets, etc. Again, probably dense on my part but I figured they knew what they needed to validate in order to finalize my offer.

The "inspection" occurred on a Sunday afternoon and by Monday mid-morning, I had a call, from a different person at Zillow because my friendly contact I had been working with to date was "unavailable". We set a time to go over my revised offer for Tuesday morning. When the call came in, this different Zillow rep stated that he had some local real estate agent on the line that was going to talk me through my offer and he would be on mute in case I had questions for him. This woman started off by saying, "Unfortunately, Zillow does not buy homes that have aluminum wiring from the power line running to the main circuit breaker box. However, good news, I have a cash buyer that will give you a cash offer by tomorrow morning if you would like to sell. Of course, due to this costly repair of changing the wiring, our offer will be much lower."

Well, being a seasoned business person, I smelled a rat BIG time and said so. I hadn't quite put all the pieces together when I told them this but I knew something was not on the up and up. They tried to talk their way around the issue but frankly, enough of my time was wasted and so I ended our call. I immediately contacted my electrician, primarily because I was concerned I now had a fire hazard based on what they told me. He said it was not accurate and to go walk out my front door and see that every other neighbor in the neighborhood has this same wiring. He also said that if it was the East Coast, it may present more of a hazard but in the desert climate we have, it was standard (and not something he has ever heard of being redone for a home sale). I also checked these wiring facts with the home inspection association and reviewed the city code for this and found the same to be true.

Lastly, I called my power company and spoke to a representative there who also stated similar detail. I began to put the pieces together more and contacted them to find out (1) why they even bothered to invest any resources in providing an "inspection" if they did not buy homes with aluminum power feed and it is a well known fact that in my city homes built during a certain time frame all had this and (2) why was their inspector in my home for so long if he could plainly see from the street that my house, and every house for blocks in every direction has these power feeds and they don't buy these homes and (3) how does this agent have any info on my home when I did not authorize Zillow to share my information or pictures of my private residence with her.

I am certain I will get no reply but needed to illustrate to them that they are not as slick as they seem to think they are. How many people have fallen for this? As I shared my story with friends, I have found out this happens ALL THE TIME. So, after scaring the heck out of me that I might have a fire hazard, and insulting my basic intelligence with their attempted heist, I searched and found all of these 1 star reviews of varying experiences with a variety of Zillow services and see that this is indeed their standard mode of operation. After seeing some of these reviews from real estate agents and their Zillow experiences, I wonder if the agent put on the line with me was even aware of the situation when she was "referred" to me. The whole thing is so unethical and predatory. How are they able to legally get away with this?

Original review: April 3, 2019

Zestimates are not based on homes on the same street, neighborhood or building. I own three homes, one in a regular neighborhood, one in a gated community and one in a condo building. I have the same issue over and over again. My Zestimates are inaccurate.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I've put a home up for sale by owner, a 2 bedroom condo, on the Zillow site. Claiming the home, entering the description details and adding photos was all pretty straightforward. Creating the owner estimate was easy as well. The Zestimate that is generated started out at around the expected price based on comparable research. Then over a few days the Z estimate steadily decreased. When I looked at what is shown as comparable under the Z estimate I was surprised to see 90% of the comps used by Zillow are one bedroom condos. There was a condo in the same building that is identified as a 2 bedroom, but, it is not a 2 bedroom it is a 1 bedroom with a really low price. This might not be Zillow issue since the data they pulled from is incorrect. I fail to see how those listing are considered comparable, but, the Zillow/system think they are.

I have been steadily been leading the number of views on the listing compared to others in the area. Questions come in asking why the price is what it is compared to the Zestimate. I have only found a phone number as a way to contact. Seems there is no other way to contact Zillow or to get a person on the phone. The only thing that you are able to reach is voicemail. The voicemail says please leave a detailed message of what you are experiencing so that they can research it and get back to you. I've left 4 voicemails and it's been 2 weeks and no one has gotten back to me. The Zestimate is so far out of whack that it's laughable. The customer support is non existent.

Original review: March 31, 2019

We are basing our experience regarding Zillow's FSBO option on two experiences; one was a little over a year ago and one is most recent. Zillow lures homeowners to list FSBO for free and the point of that is so that realtors know you are looking to sell your property, then they will call you nonstop to get you to list with them. Some even went as far as threatening us. Our homes were in great condition and our homes usually get the most attention and traffic on Zillow. The first home we listed had a Zestimate of 95K. The area was experiencing a great sellers' market and our home had over 120 saves and was constantly ranked number 1 on Zillow. Well that may seem like good news to the Seller/homeowner, but it was bad news for realtors and Zillow because it was FSBO. Zillow even erased all the saves after a couple of months.

Furthermore, realtors started low balling us, in an effort to pressure us to list. We even heard from potential buyers, who eventually reached us that they called agents (since Zillow places them at the top and puts homeowner's number at the bottom) only to be told to AVOID our property and fabricated lies as to why the Buyer should not purchase it.

Many times we told realtors who asked to list the property, why not bring a serious buyer and we will give you Buyer agent commission. Time and time again they failed to deliver!!! Instead, they tried to pressure us to list with them. Well, needless to say, we did not! That's when homes listed by Agents in the area started experiencing higher Zestimates and ours started experiencing a trend in the opposite direction. Our home was immaculate compared to the nearby listings. We inquired from Zillow why the trends in the opposite direction and they reassuring us that they do not manipulate their algorithm.

We started taking photos of the other homes and their condition and compared with our condition as they said recent sales influence the Zestimates, still we saw trends in opposite direction for our home versus those listed by agents. It appears it was Zillow's way of ensuring that our house would have a harder time selling. We did not give in and in fact sold our home for about 50K more than the Zestimate and at full asking price.

Currently, we are selling another home FSBO and the trends are no different. They have reduced our value by 20K and it continues to decrease as sales pick up and other homes down the street are valued higher because they are listed by Realtors. Zillow and its practices are unethical and from what I have read there are lawsuits regarding the Zestimate and some of the practices Zillow applies.

If you list FSBO (especially if you have a beautiful home) be prepared to get bombarded by Agents who want to list your property but will NOT bring one serious buyer to you. You have to hope that the right buyer is smart enough to pick up on everything and make you a fair offer based on the comps and what your home has to offer. Just thought to share our experience so that if you plan to list FSBO, you know what to expect.

Zillow.com Company Information