Zillow.com

Overall Rating
1.1 out of 5

About Zillow.com

Zillow.com Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 776 reviews and 649 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zillow.com?

Reviewed Aug. 3, 2023

If you don't know already, Zillow is a marketing firm that provides leads for Real Estate Buyer Agents. You might think you're sending an email to the Listing Agent, but you are not. I specifically left a message for what I thought was the Listing Agent to email or text me regarding an HOA question I had. Instead, I received a call from Zillow trying to hook me up with a buyer's agent. I told the Zillow Agent I did not want a Buyer's Agent but wanted the Listing Agent to answer a question I had for them. When I asked her for the Listing Agents contact information, I was told by the Zillow Agent, "You'll have to research the Listing Agents information yourself." The site is good for looking at what inventory of homes may be available for purchase, but not for contacting anyone with a question about the property.

Price

Reviewed July 28, 2023

I am trying to locate a home for sale with two full bathrooms. The listings that state two baths are often only 1 1/2 baths. One listing even counted a single sink in a closet as a bathroom! I end up having to check Redfin to find the accuracy on this. They also often omit the yards' square footage, again off to another site because of missing info. If you list a home for sale the Zestimate miraculously adjusts to be near the sale price. So much for their famous algorithm claim!

Reviewed July 26, 2023

Was looking for a house plus selling our house. I sent in a request for info about a home to Zillow. I got several calls but immediately I started getting hundreds of spam emails a day about anything and everything. They clearly sold my info. On the house we were selling I put up pictures on Zillow only to have zillow deny my real estate agent access so they had to do the pictures and house info all over again. A pain for both of us. So I will use zillow as a tool to find property but will NEVER directly use them to buy or sell again. Nor will I ever use any service associated with them.

Reviewed July 23, 2023

Zestimates on homes in my neighborhood go up or down 11% in less than a week without reason - without changes or updates whatever to the homes! Currently Zestimate on the house next to me is almost $130+k less than the estimates on other professional real estate websites!

Reviewed July 7, 2023

Inaccurate information and $35 monthly fees for applications that never make it back to applicant. For example, why do applicants have to have 10 landlords run a credit check on them when they can simply tell the landlords their credit standing and save all the 10 application fees? Also, Zillow.com makes you pay $35 for unlimited amount of rental applications you can submit in a month period. I've done this for 3 months and not one application made it back to me. Why is credit the only criteria for rental denial? This is an evil scheme setup by Rental industry such as Zillow.com where the majority of applicants scramble over their applications in an attempt to get a place to live. In the process, numerous run to credit checks can damage their credits further and waste their fees for the applications they know will get denied anyway based on credit alone - even without eviction record. This is a violation of civil rights and should be declared unconstitutional.

Reviewed June 26, 2023

Extreme dissatisfaction with the services provided by Zillow. I have attempted to list two properties for over 45 days, and despite receiving 45 separate confirmations from Zillow that the listings would be posted, this has not yet occurred. I have attempted to contact Zillow on multiple occasions, without receiving any response or explanation for the lack of service.

Staff

Reviewed May 21, 2023

Please don't waste your time with Zillow anymore they are not respecting FSBO and made listing with them unbearable. They are always steering agents and promoting them and are an absolute pain in the ** to try to deal with so I have listed it over with Forsalebyowner now.

Glen

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed April 2, 2023

Falsely advertised real estate listings that will waste your time and gas money. One of the structures that was listed as a 2 bedroom. 1 bathroom ranch, was not a livable structure. The entire description was an egregious lie.

Reviewed March 17, 2023

It's a shame. Zillow was a star in the real estate industry. They had a nice site, but then you can't see the screen except one line, not sure if the MLS forced them to ruin their site, too bad. They used to be better than realtor.com, and all other listing real estate site. Too bad. What a shame.

Reviewed March 10, 2023

It’s just like any other review site. They don’t like bad reviews and will find a reason not to post them. They protect the businesses, in this case the realtors, not the customer. If you put too much detail, which is often necessary to tell the story, they will say it doesn’t comply with the guidelines. When you try to pin them down and ask, they are onerous, obstinate, and won’t tell you why it doesn’t comply with the guidelines or what needs to be taken out. Often, upon reading the guidelines, you find the review does comply. The rules and guidelines also aren’t applied consistently. I even had one review that got posted that I went back and edited to change a timeline. The edited version was rejected.

Reviewed March 9, 2023

Short version of the story. My home is over 4900 sq ft. I spent over $200,000 in improvements. My home's Zillow SQ FT estimate is $202.00/sqft. My neighbor who maintains nothing around his house who has less land, less square footage (3800) who pays similar taxes, who lived in the same community almost as long as I have so no home sales, has a home valuation of !! $261.00/sq ft. When I called their customer service no one answered, when I wrote and complained I got the ** answer that their algorithm is deciding it. I'm an engineer with masters and a computer/software test professional. If both homeowners have access to the SAME form to describe their home features, if both bought around the same time and pay the same taxes, and if one is much better house with tons of renovations...how come the better home worths almost 30% less in SQ FT. The only explanation to this is intentional manipulation.

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2023

Potential consumers should give zero credence to Zillow's home value algorithm. It's far from accurate... sometimes being 40% or more inaccurate. For example, my home is valued by Zillow to be 41% less than my neighbor's house, despite my house having over 400 more square feet of living space, twice the garage space, and my house being new (neighbor's house is about 40 years old). The irony is that the County's tax assessment shows my house being valued at 19% MORE than my neighbor's house. Assuming the county's tax assessment is more accurate than Zillow - relative to value comparison - Zillow's estimate for my house is about 41% less than what it should be, assuming my neighbor's house is accurately valued by Zillow. I have contacted Zillow multiple times to get them to re-evaluate home value listings in my neighborhood in light of the discrepancy noted above. Each time, Zillow responds by saying that they stand behind their algorithm - even when there is obvious flaws - and they have done zero investigations. Don't trust Zillow!

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2023

I advertised a rental home on Zillow and received many inquiries, nearly all were unqualified, that isn't Zillow's fault. The problem is the credit report they provide. The credit report that accompanied the tenants' application showed NO rental evictions, collections or rental judgments. I was able to check court records on my own using the former addresses the Zillow credit report listed for the applicants and found the tenants had evictions and rental judgments in 2021 that did not appear on the credit report from Zillow. So much for relying on Zillow for an accurate picture of tenant credit quality.

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2023

Don’t trust their estimates. They have my home at least $150.000 light even after the identical unit next door sold for $670,000 and is in poor shape compared to mine. Also the unit on the other side identical to mine in square feet etc sold for $505,000 in 2019. They have mine listed for $464,600.

Reviewed Jan. 3, 2023

Zillow has grossly incorrect information about my property that can impact me negatively should I decide to sell my property. After contacting them and letting them know of the facts, they refuse to correct it or do anything about it. I find this disgusting.

Reviewed Dec. 23, 2022

Zillow.com is not allowing me to edit my home facts and the information displayed by them is inaccurate and misleading. What happened to the Federal Government agencies that protect consumers against corporations from misleading the public?

Reviewed Nov. 17, 2022

I have sent many emails to Zillow requesting pictures of the inside of my home that is no longer on the market be removed from the site. They have yet to respond and it’s been over one month. This is a complete invasion of privacy and lack of concern for the safety of my family. The complete layout is shown and made public.

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2022

My credit is decent. My partner has an 850 credit score. No criminal history, no judgments against us. Squeaky clean. While searching rental properties this last time on Zillow I decided to use a company called Turner properties. After spending $150 on the application, I let them know I would pay 12 months in advance. Just to make sure I would get this home. 2 weeks past I didn't receive a call or an email. I asked what was going on and was told, "We are waiting until we receive all applications then choose the best possible candidate."

Right there I knew something wasn't right. The property was listed for immediate move. At that point, the property has been available for over a month? So I said I wanted to withdrawal my application and asked them to send me all proof of the paperwork processes and the background check I paid for. Turner properties sent me nothing and has not refunded me a dime. 3 days after the exchange of emails, I received a final email the property was no longer available and has been rented to someone else. So now I am disputing the charges with my bank. SCAM!!

Reviewed Sept. 16, 2022

I'm a licensed Real Estate agent, Zillow advertise all the properties that are listed in MLS to generate a business avoiding a real estate professionals. BUT the info is not accurate. My listing for rent is for a weekly rate in the MLS listing, but they advertise as a monthly rate. This situation made a lot of confusion in the people that is searching and for myself answering a lot of request and phone calls that will only make lost my time. It's not fair and of course NO way to contact ZILLOW to fix the problem.

Staff

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2022

Zillow has done a great job matching me up at basically everywhere I've, ever, lived. From school housing to getting my first lease signed zillow.com has been there for me. My whole family loves zillow and we absolutely recommend this service. Thank you again Zillow Team!

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2022

Zillow a.k.a. Trulia have been unwilling to correct the location of our listing and provide potential buyers with our photos. We have had to resubmit our listing 4 times and received approval each time in 24 hours. Unfortunately, they only communicate with emails and do not correct their misleading postings for the last 2 1/2 weeks.

Reviewed July 29, 2022

Using algorithms to determine values works fine in areas of little differential in home styles and location. But try to explain that in all areas that method is flawed and inaccurate you get a boilerplate response and what appears to be vindictive new Zestimates on property in question. As a result, I give Zillow no more than a 2 star review.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed July 28, 2022

Complete joke. Estimate must be based upon a genie. Posted house and estimate was way low. This was for sale by owner. Agent posts it with higher price and estimate increases? WTH?Posted a review of an agent. No reply. No review made it to website. I can't believe they are still in business.

Reviewed July 2, 2022

Horribly inflated home values. Nothing here is based in fact. The rental platform just runs you around in circles. Why can you seem to speak to anyone about issues Most? Most useless company in the short history of the internet.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed June 6, 2022

I was told by the salesperson with Zillow that I would receive 12-13 leads per month. She said this on several occasions. Guess what didn't even come close to happening. I got about 8 a month and the majority were looking for something under $100K. I was paying $751 per month for first position in my area. My advice to all Realtors... Just don't!! This is literally the most expensive, bad decision I have ever made. Please learn from my mistakes. And what other agents say is true, too. You can't get a copy of your recorded call and no one will call you to discuss issues or discrepancies. And you better make double darn sure you call to cancel before your contract expires!!

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 25, 2022

Listed house For sale on Friday afternoon. It's Monday afternoon and still no listing. No email or note on what's happening. Lost a weekend of Zillow coverage. Listed on Craigslist same time and it was instant! I thought Zillow was a more capable company. I'm looking for competition that more on the ball.. as Zillow is leaving the door open..

Reviewed April 24, 2022

Zillow charges a prospective tenant $29 to apply for rental units for 30 days but the realtors are so irresponsible that it's impossible to get anywhere. They don't respond to inquiries, don't open applications and don't remove rented listings. Having collected its fee, Zillow maintains that none of this is their problem, and they have no system in place to hold the realtor or owner accountable for incompetence.

Reviewed April 19, 2022

Zillow could NOT care less about how they treat YOU as long as YOU pay them their monthly fee for the terrible lead(s). Most of the leads were for $200k or less and were always SLOW to respond when a great house came on the market. They charged me $860 my LAST month with these crooks and got zero leads. I called and asked about my leads. "Some months you don't get any leads," they told me. $860 right out the door!!!!

I refuted the charge and then sent certified mail to all three of their offices in Washington State. They NEVER responded even after Vida **, Zillow Business Consultant, lied to me and then deceived me by not sending me the phone recordings. Finally, Senior Manager, David **, refused a refund even after phone recordings were made and Zillow NEVER responded to my certified letters. Horrible people!!!! Stay away from Zillow leads!!!!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2022

First & worst experience with Sado ** at Zillow. Let’s begin with the fact that he does not answer the phone, I’ve called numerous times during the Refinancing process & not once has he picked up the phone, I can only get through to him when he needs information from me. Sado was extremely confident with the appraisal being waived. Here is a text directly from Sado regarding the appraisal, "Ok so No Cash to Close, not a penny out of pocket. We're paying off/consolidating the Mortgage and the Main Student Loan of 33k. All in all about 671 as your new Mortgage Payment going forward. All the while, no appraisal needed."

A couple days later it seemed that we needed an appraisal ordered after he stated that it wasn’t needed. He told me that Zillow would waive the $500 appraisal fee. The appraiser popped in & within 2 hours of the appraiser leaving (on a Saturday) I received an email from Sado with the revised docs with a higher estimated payment. My question is how can docs be revised if the appraisal report wasn’t even in yet, I mean the appraiser just left & within 2 hours I get an email with revised docs. I attempted to call Sado several times afterwards & again he Never answers.

I was fed up & switched to another financing company called Octane which gave me a better interest rate & most importantly answers the phone when I call. I proceeded with Octane & terminated the relationship with Zillow. A week later they sent me an email with a $500 appraisal charge. I called Sado (of course no answer). He then texts me apologizing for being busy. I explained why I’m terminating the relationship with Zillow & he then told me that Zillow was only going to roll the Appraisal into the loan when he clearly stated the appraisal would be waived. Sado doesn’t seem to communicate well at all! Telling someone that Zillow would eat the appraisal fee then say it was only going to be rolled into the loan so I wouldn’t need cash to close has deception & scam written all over it. Dalisha **, the underwriter at Zillow also assured me that the appraisal fee was waived. She is another one that does not answer the phone under any circumstances!

I will never again use Zillow for anything in the future. Everything mentioned here is exactly what occurred. I have the entire text thread as evidence yet Zillow keeps denying my review & tells me I should alter it. Zillow, please state which part you find illegal & if it is regarding an appraisal waiver attempt then Sado is guilty. How is it logic for my review to be flagged when this is exactly what happened! If this review isn’t posted I’ll be taking legal action against zillow!

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2022

I left an honest review of an agent who never responded to my calls. I used no profanity or personal attacks. I said "she never responded to my calls. I will find another agent in the area to work with, good grief!" WOW! Rejected because it does not follow guidelines. I read guidelines. I did NOT do any of the things they list as not allowed. Bug off, Zillow!

Zillow.com Company Information