Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Reviews

Original review: July 7, 2019

It is very simple looking and easy to use despite the different functions. I like how nice and roomy it is inside that I can fit a casserole pan in it. Very easy to maintain too. If you get the convection microwave it is fantastic what you can cook in it. Meat comes out nice and brown, baked goods cook all the way through in a lot less time too. Having the option for the microwave to readjust the temperature and time is great too because it takes the guessing work out for you. It knows to do that automatically.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Mine is a small over the stove type. I use it for reheating, cooking veggies, popcorn and have done some casseroles as well as a few desserts. It seems to cook evenly and even the preprogrammed times are quite right on. I also find the defrost example hamburger frozen has preset time according to weight and it does not cook the hamburger like others seem to. Overall I think my Whirlpool is a great machine. It also has a turntable which distributes the heat more evenly I think. Overall I am pleased with the microwave. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I inherited this microwave when we bought our house and have been very happy with it. It does not take up much space, heats well and evenly and the beep at the end of the cycle is not as irritating as other microwaves I have owned. However, I do find the glass turntable difficult to get back on track after I take it out for cleaning. It will wobble if not put back exactly right.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Had this Whirlpool for many years. Enjoy the features. One I will never buy again is GE. It was over the range. The door crack two time, first time they send a door, I replace it. Second time, they refuse to replace it. So, I refuse to buy anything from GE. Since it was made for over the range. I say the door was not made for the heat cooking over the stove. Then they should not have sold it as over the stove.

Original review: May 25, 2019

This microwave oven has worked well now for about six months and overall we have no complaints. My only complaint is that it has a cheap feel to it, especially when the door is closed...it creates a rattle type hollow noise....it just does not "sound" like it is well made. Time will tell I guess. The unit works well and heats fairly evenly. The cook options are plentiful but we rarely use most of them as we are usually merely re-heating food or coffee. The defrost cycle does work well for us.

We purchased this microwave oven as well as a Whirlpool Range and Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator at the same time from a small Home Depot. Whereas that store had the microwave on display it did not have the other two on display and therefore we purchased them sight unseen....a BAD, BAD mistake. I have reviews for those two so I will say no more about them here. Thus, overall, we are very pleased with this Whirlpool Microwave Oven and would recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I replaced all of the appliances in my kitchen in my vacation home with Whirlpool appliances in black less than a year ago. Since that time everything has fallen apart. The plastic is cheap quality. Microwave door fell off because it cracked in half. Two of the knobs on the stove I found on the floor in the morning because the plastic apparently broke with the temperature change overnight. The company wants as much money to replace the microwave door as the microwave cost, I haven’t even checked on the knobs yet but I think it’s time after less than a year to go ahead and update the kitchen again with better quality appliances.. and to be clear temperature change, this house is in San Diego California, there is no other explanation that either cheap parts or the temperature change and the company doesn’t seem to care so we will use a company with a little better quality this time ..

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

The exhaust fan for the gas range runs when using the microwave. The noise is loud and very aggravating and there is no way to turn it off. From what I can find the older models there was an option to turn it off. On the new models Whirlpool cut costs by not putting a small (QUIET) fan in the microwave but used the range fan for a dual purpose.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

My oven was 11 months old when I tried to use the self-clean cycle for the first time. 2 hours into the 4 hour cycle, the oven completely shut down, door locked shut and no lights on the control panel. The repair tech came out on a warranty repair call (no charge), explained that Whirlpool does not use a thermal protector rated for a self-cleaning oven and that it blows every time. He then proceeded to replace it with the same thing because he is only allowed to put in the recommended part, which is not rated for the high temp cleaning cycle. So the oven is usable, but not the self-clean. Since I am at the end of the 1 yr warranty period, even if I were able to get Whirlpool to replace the oven (ha!) there would be no warranty because I only get the original time limit. So if I had a new oven and it blew out, it would not be under warranty for fix/replace. The repair tech said this is a COMMON problem with Whirlpool self-clean.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I purchased new appliances almost 1year ago to the date. I bought the glass top range with. convection oven. In convection mode, the fan cuts on and off intermittently during bake cycle. Friends who also have the same oven say their fan runs consistently in convection mode. Repairman came out and changed fan and control panel. Still runs intermittently. Apparently that is a feature of “some models”. Had I known it was not continuous convection, I would have purchased a less expensive model without convection feature. It takes longer to cook in that mode.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

We've had this microwave (WMH31017AW-2) for 2 1/2 yrs and the door is falling apart. It started with one crack and now the middle glass of the door is falling out! I took the door off so the the glass wouldn't fall on the stove and the plastic around the door literally crumbled apart. So disappointed since that was the same reason we took the other one back that was in this house when we bought it. The microwave is now discontinued and when I did find a door online it costs as much as the microwave! Whirlpool doesn't distribute the dependable products that were, back in the day, associated with the name "WHIRLPOOL". Shame on the greedy people who have taken over and cut back on quality material and labor to put an extra penny in their pocket!

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool has a broad range of home appliances available, including washing machines and microwaves. The company is dedicated to helping its customers take better care of themselves and their families.

• Humanitarian aid: Whirlpool has donated a refrigerator and a stove to every Habitat for Humanity house since 1999.

• Combination wall oven: The combination microwave and convection oven is built into the wall to resemble a traditional oven.

• AccuPop: Using a sound sensor, the microwave detects the correct time to stop cooking popcorn.

• Steam cooking: Steam settings let you steam vegetables or add moisture to any dish.

• Extra-large capacity: Whirlpool goes a step beyond most large-capacity sizes with this 2.2 cubic-feet model.

• Best for: Commercial kitchens, large families and small families. The sizes and functions of the range are best for frequent use.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team