Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
  • 1 star
Based on 186 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 4, 2017

247 Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

This is the only time in my life when I have seen a Microwave behave so badly (and one that is relatively expensive). The microwave is defective out of the box. Seems like there is a comWhirlpool MWA269 (4You)mon trend with Whirlpool products and cheap Chinese boards. The microwave never stops working once the timer runs out. It will just keep going. Model is Whirlpool MWA269 (4You).

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Had this model (WMH73521CS-6) installed as part of kitchen remodel. After 8 months, microwave is failing, indicating door needs to be opened, then closed to operate. This does not fix the issue or reset the condition. AND, there is no way to reset the microwave electronics, not even power cycling (unplugging and replugging from/to electrical outlet).

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

We purchased a Whirlpool over the range microwave WH32L19AS1 just over a year ago. {No we didn't buy the extended warranty.} We were reheating some food in the microwave at noon the other day and the microwave made very loud bang and started to hum really strange. We have since discovered the Megatron or something like that has gone out. Just parts $150.00. So we decided to trash the broken Whirlpool microwave. We did some googling and discovered that there is big trouble with this product.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Purchased new Whirlpool Microwave Model # WMH32517AT on 10/27/13 for $245.20. Fried circuit board on 4 11/15 & repair was $255. Now 7/31/17 fried circuit board AGAIN. Going to throw away and buy another brand. My message is short - Junk.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I bought my Whirlpool over the range microwave WMH32L19AS November 28, 2015. We started having problems with it, working intermittently one year later. I called Whirlpool in January 2017 and they told me it was out of warranty and it would cost $150.00 for a repair person to just look at it. I decided to just keep using the microwave because I only paid $232.00 for it and I figured after parts and labor if would probably cost over $200.00 to fix it.

I called Whirlpool back in June because the microwave wouldn't shut off and even kept running when you opened the door. Whirlpool sent out a repair person at no cost to fix it. But the repair person told me Whirlpool only paid for him to diagnose the problem. I had to pay for the repair. After working on the microwave and replacing sensors and fuses he determined the microwave irreparable. I called Whirlpool back and they just told me that my microwave is 1 1/2 years old and they were not responsible after 1 year and I should have bought the extended warranty. I will never buy another Whirlpool appliance again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: July 11, 2017

I have spent 30 minutes trying to change light bulb under the oven and get the cover plate back on. I watched the film on how to do it, it was amusing to watch the struggle to get it on. It was amusing to say the least. Whirlpool watching it??? I do not believe whoever designed this worthless time consuming light cover never tested it one time, or it would had been more user friendly. It amazes me what kind of trash they can build for us consumers to have to deal with at times. Tomorrow this overhead piece of junk is coming out and being replaced by a "non" Whirlpool one. I am going to get a tractor and smash it into little pieces and put on side of street with a note saying "this is what happens when you try for an hour to change the bulb".

Original review: June 9, 2017

I purchased a Whirlpool microwave at the end of November 2015. Since then it has needed repair 3 times. Now I am being told it is not repairable. Microwave is only 1.5 years old and Whirlpool would not stand behind its product and provide additional warranty service or even a discount toward a new one. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was just left on hold, 20 minutes later I hung up! Poor customer service!

Original review: May 12, 2017

Steer clear of Whirlpool. We own 4 homes, 3 vacation rentals, and a primary. Collectively we have a lot of experience with appliances and the Whirlpool Gold series installed in December of 2014 have been the worse by far and away. The microwave had its first issue at just under 1 year, "door open" sensor malfunctions, light is off, and microwave will not start. Same issue that many folks have had issues with and described on this site.

We tried to use the warranty. That was an absolute inconvenience and we got the total runaround. They dispatched the technician to our primary residence, even though I made extra clear where the appliance resided. Took time off work for that one. Then they tried to dispatch another one 2 weeks later and it turns out they don't service the area. They told us the morning of. So I uninstalled the microwave and took it to the repair shop 45 mins north of our house. Took them a month, but it was supposedly fixed. Same issue started months later, but works occasionally, until now. Now it won't work and we are back to square one. The dishwasher and oven have each had major issues as well. Never again with Whirlpool. Our independent appliance repairman says it's a shame as Whirlpool used to be a great product. Now it's made in China and likely designed to fail so we have to buy more parts. Do yourself a favor and steer clear.

Original review: April 3, 2017

A few months ago our Whirlpool microwave just completely died. We had only been in our brand new home for about 18 months at the time, so I was very disappointed. I would have bought a different brand at that time, but didn't want it to look ridiculous, as it is mounted in the cabinet above the Whirlpool oven I was shocked to get a text from my wife a couple days ago, saying the same thing had happened to our oven. I thought that it must be a circuit breaker. My parents had Whirlpool appliances in my home growing up and we never had a problem with our oven. Well... I was wrong not a circuit breaker. The thing is just dead. Nice... Thanks Whirlpool! Thanks Century Communities for installing the absolute cheapest products in my home! Wonder what will be next? Probably the range top... I'll let you know.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I actually need help, we have had our over the stove microwave for two years, for the last 8 months it has inconsistently worked. We have to wait for the light to come on before it will come on and here lately, I have push on it to get it to work. This happens daily. Does anyone have any suggestions, I would hate to have to replace a two year old microwave.

Original review: March 11, 2017

We bought the over-the-range Whirlpool microwave, model #WMH53520AH-1, about four years ago from Pacific Appliance Sales Kitchen and Home inside a Best Buy store in San Diego. The Magnetron and Diode have malfunctioned and been replaced. Now the plastic around the door is falling apart, cracking, and splitting. This is unacceptable, poor craftsmanship, and low quality for the price of this Whirlpool appliance. This needs to be reported to the company and properly addressed. Until then, we're staying away from any Whirlpool related products. We also own Cabrio W/D. The washing machine has had problems from year one. I'm submitting a separate review for this appliance. Consumer beware!

Original review: March 10, 2017

Purchased microwave 7/3/2016 & paid for installation on 7/9/16. Product started malfunctioned in December. Technician came out 12/30/16 and as of today we still do NOT have microwave. Whirlpool claims they issued credit for microwave & installation. But somehow between safety department & vendor relations with hhgregg they want us to pay AGAIN for installation & haul away on a defective microwave. Hhgregg vendor relations & Whirlpool pointing fingers at each other, we are still without a paid in full microwave. No one cares, and we have been treated poorly by both Whirlpool & hhgregg. It's 3 months without a microwave and Whirlpool doesn't seem to care one bit. Worst customer service I've ever received.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

We moved to a new home with all new Whirlpool appliances. We have been here 4 weeks and so far the stove has had a faulty part replaced in oven and now my microwave will not fully pop popcorn. Wonder what to expect next?? If you have a choice don't buy this brand. Inferior product.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Whirlpool 2 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave - My wife and I have just remodeled our kitchen and we bought all the Whirlpool appliances, fridge, stove and microwave. We have had them for about 3 weeks now and now the display on the microwave just stop working. I just cant believe this. It's going to be a real pain now to remove this and replace it. Has anybody else had this problem and I wonder if it's even covered under its warranty.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Whirlpool has always been a quality product in my household. I had Whirlpool microwave prior to the one I recently purchased. It lasted 10 years and was used frequently and always on daily basis. It worked like a dream and I would never purchase any other brand!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I had the first microwave for 6 years. My husband messed it up so got a new one, same over the stove type. It has lots of programs. It's a rather large microwave, plus it has a steamer which cooks vegetables with steam while I am doing the rest of the meal and what's more important is it's quiet. The site is fantastic not just in width but in depth. The best thing about this microwave too is that it has a frozen cycle which does not partially cook the food like most microwaves and the defrost is the same, it does not partially cook it actually defrosts completely without cooking it. This is by far the best microwave I have ever had, and I wouldn't want any other brand. It might cost a little more than the usual brands but it's worth it. I also have a mini Whirlpool on my Countertop for my grandchild to use so he keeps away from stovetop at all times.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

When you buy a global brand name you expect it to work the first time around. If not, then you expect to have it exchanged not repaired. The microwave did not work out of the box. They made me take it to the shop for repair. I would have expected an exchange for another one and an apology from the "quality control" guy who should have checked it. Apparently Whirlpool (Mexico) doesn't give a rat's ass about their customer base. It's all about getting as many units out the door with poor assembly and no QC.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

This unit was new 11/11. Very little oven use but the 1st time the self clean feature was used the outer oven door shattered and now 5 years later there are no replacement parts available. Bought an extended warranty and no results from vendor other than refund $$ on what is left of warranty. Original cost $3200, now useless p.o.s. I will never buy a product manufactured by Whirlpool and hope they go out of business. Bitter... You damn right...

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

It is a mounted (over the stove) microwave and fit exactly into the space the old one did and it is lasting longer than the previous Whirlpool microwave I had. Easy to use and has all the "special" buttons I wanted at the time (popcorn). Display is large enough to see without my glasses and the various menus are easy to go through. Setting the cook time & cook power is easy. Also like that I can have a timer running at the same time that I am "nuking" something.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

We were looking for stainless steel and this model was that. This model has lots of presets which we like. We lucked out and got it on sale and we're able to get features of a more expensive model for a lesser price. The only downside is getting the turntable back in when you clean it. One of the things I wish it had was a way use the timer for foods cooking in the microwave plus use the timer separately for timing food you aren't cooking in the microwave, but will be part of the meal. Also, the defrost options could be clearer!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

This microwave is one of the best I've ever used. I've had several brands from generic on up and this one takes the cake. It's very reliable. It works excellent and heats up fast. I've had no problems with it working to full capacity or any fear of it breaking down. It's pricey but well worth the cost if you want worry-free warming and cooking.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Looked at several microwaves before I purchased a Whirlpool. Comments from my Mother about how much she liked her Whirlpool led me to investigate Whirlpool and I was pleased with what I found so I decided to try one. Have owned mine for several years with no problems. Love the fact that all I need to do to clean the microwave is just wipe it off, nothing sticks.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

My Whirlpool microwave has been great. Just the right size for my family, with enough settings that it wasn't complicated to use. I found it was very useful with different recipes that I liked to make. I always used it whenever possible to cut down on my cooking time because time is something we don't seem to have enough of. I have baked a lot of different items in my microwave, chickens, all kind of casseroles, cakes. You can even scramble eggs in this one!! It keeps dishes warm until you decide to serve it which is a plus because all microwaves do not have this option. I believe you will enjoy it too!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Just bought a brand new Whirlpool Microwave oven model WM1112D from Amazon.com.mx. Opened the box, plugged it in, it doesn't work. Called the 800 number, it's a joke. We have a Whirlpool manufacturing plant in the metro area. They made me take it there for repair!!?? Why do I need to repair something brand new out of the box. The least I would expect is they apologize and exchange for a brand new one no questions asked. But no, into the shop for check up and repair (no cost). Who is the quality inspector that checked it "GOOD"?? Why does he have a job? No cost? My cost was a 75 minute drive across town and the crappy experience that buying Whirlpool has left on me. Never again. Hope you don't make the same mistake. Judging by the number of units in the repair shop, that model is a piece of crap.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I have a combo Microwave oven/oven GMC275PDS07. When the microwave is finished with the requested program, the end of program chime lets you know it's done. Then, if the door is not opened for at least 3 seconds, the chime will ring again every minute thereafter ad nauseum. This will go on for hours without end. I know because I tried it. I reached out to Whirlpool via a web chat and my question was not even addressed. I was ignored. From reading other submissions, I assume this is de rigueur for Whirlpool. I then called Whirlpool and spoke to Katie in Tennessee. She was not able to bring up any make or model when I provided her the numbers exactly as listed on the inside of the door. She was not able to provide any respite from this annoying feature.

This a Whirlpool Gold model, presumably the top of the line, in my book I will never purchase any Whirlpool product of any type and I will make it a point to let anyone who will listen that Whirlpool is not a manufacturer that takes its customers concerns seriously. Katie then advised that she looked up this feature and told me there is no way to turn the beeping off. I find this amusing since she could not find the model or serial number when I gave it to her.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Purchased a 450.00 Whirlpool over- the-range microwave oven in October 2015 and on January 4, 2017 it is not heating. Timer, light and turntable is working properly. I thought I was buying one of the best products. I was sadly mistaken. So I am a very disappointed senior citizen, is has a fixed income. I still have the receipt from my purchase from Lowe's.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

It is a really great microwave, but the door is falling off of it. We can still use it, but try to be careful about it. I honestly and truthfully love my whirlpool microwave as well as my whole set of whirl pool appliances. The door is trying to fall off, but we can still use the microwave. If we get another one we will probably get another whirlpool because I love it so much.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I had it a couple of months and the light stopped working, it's too small. Just not as good as I thought it was. I purchased online, since I could not go to the store. I don't feel it works as well as my old sharp 1/2 pint that lasted many, many years. I doubt this will last much longer, I barely have it 3 years. It says it fits in a corner and it sort of does. From the outside it looks like the inside is higher than what it is and some things just don't fit. The turntable still works, but at times when you take the item off the glass, it comes off with it and you have to play with it until it goes back on.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

Whirlpool Microwave WMH1164XWS-1 - Well, I'm sure surprised that my almost five year old Whirlpool microwave failed to heat this evening. One minute it worked, next it didn't. Watched countless repair videos, but it seems more aggravation taking the unit out and trying to diagnose the issue than it's worth. Probably the same with enlisting the services of a repair tech. I'll probably think twice about purchasing another Whirlpool microwave. I purchased a Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator a few months ago and now I'm concerned I'll have the same issues. All my appliances were Whirlpool and purchased ten years ago and replaced with newer models, even though I never had any repair issues. Guess they don't make them like they used to!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

Microwave didn't even last 2 years. I bought all new Whirlpool Appliances less than 2 years ago & they were not cheap! The microwave won't work until the light comes on inside. Well for some reason now it takes almost 10 minutes for the light to come on & I have to leave the door open until then. Now today I can't shut it because the light won't shut off & if I try to shut it the fans runs constantly. So frustrating as they don't stand behind any of their products! I will never ever purchase anything Whirlpool again.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool has a broad range of home appliances available, including washing machines and microwaves. The company is dedicated to helping its customers take better care of themselves and their families.

• Humanitarian aid: Whirlpool has donated a refrigerator and a stove to every Habitat for Humanity house since 1999.

• Combination wall oven: The combination microwave and convection oven is built into the wall to resemble a traditional oven.

• AccuPop: Using a sound sensor, the microwave detects the correct time to stop cooking popcorn.

• Steam cooking: Steam settings let you steam vegetables or add moisture to any dish.

• Extra-large capacity: Whirlpool goes a step beyond most large-capacity sizes with this 2.2 cubic-feet model.

• Best for: Commercial kitchens, large families and small families. The sizes and functions of the range are best for frequent use.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs