Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

Compare Microwaves

Research top Microwaves recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A few months ago our Whirlpool microwave just completely died. We had only been in our brand new home for about 18 months at the time, so I was very disappointed. I would have bought a different brand at that time, but didn't want it to look ridiculous, as it is mounted in the cabinet above the Whirlpool oven I was shocked to get a text from my wife a couple days ago, saying the same thing had happened to our oven. I thought that it must be a circuit breaker. My parents had Whirlpool appliances in my home growing up and we never had a problem with our oven. Well... I was wrong not a circuit breaker. The thing is just dead. Nice... Thanks Whirlpool! Thanks Century Communities for installing the absolute cheapest products in my home! Wonder what will be next? Probably the range top... I'll let you know.

I actually need help, we have had our over the stove microwave for two years, for the last 8 months it has inconsistently worked. We have to wait for the light to come on before it will come on and here lately, I have push on it to get it to work. This happens daily. Does anyone have any suggestions, I would hate to have to replace a two year old microwave.

We bought the over-the-range Whirlpool microwave, model #WMH53520AH-1, about four years ago from Pacific Appliance Sales Kitchen and Home inside a Best Buy store in San Diego. The Magnetron and Diode have malfunctioned and been replaced. Now the plastic around the door is falling apart, cracking, and splitting. This is unacceptable, poor craftsmanship, and low quality for the price of this Whirlpool appliance. This needs to be reported to the company and properly addressed. Until then, we're staying away from any Whirlpool related products. We also own Cabrio W/D. The washing machine has had problems from year one. I'm submitting a separate review for this appliance. Consumer beware!

Purchased microwave 7/3/2016 & paid for installation on 7/9/16. Product started malfunctioned in December. Technician came out 12/30/16 and as of today we still do NOT have microwave. Whirlpool claims they issued credit for microwave & installation. But somehow between safety department & vendor relations with hhgregg they want us to pay AGAIN for installation & haul away on a defective microwave. Hhgregg vendor relations & Whirlpool pointing fingers at each other, we are still without a paid in full microwave. No one cares, and we have been treated poorly by both Whirlpool & hhgregg. It's 3 months without a microwave and Whirlpool doesn't seem to care one bit. Worst customer service I've ever received.

We moved to a new home with all new Whirlpool appliances. We have been here 4 weeks and so far the stove has had a faulty part replaced in oven and now my microwave will not fully pop popcorn. Wonder what to expect next?? If you have a choice don't buy this brand. Inferior product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Whirlpool 2 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave - My wife and I have just remodeled our kitchen and we bought all the Whirlpool appliances, fridge, stove and microwave. We have had them for about 3 weeks now and now the display on the microwave just stop working. I just cant believe this. It's going to be a real pain now to remove this and replace it. Has anybody else had this problem and I wonder if it's even covered under its warranty.

Whirlpool has always been a quality product in my household. I had Whirlpool microwave prior to the one I recently purchased. It lasted 10 years and was used frequently and always on daily basis. It worked like a dream and I would never purchase any other brand!

I had the first microwave for 6 years. My husband messed it up so got a new one, same over the stove type. It has lots of programs. It's a rather large microwave, plus it has a steamer which cooks vegetables with steam while I am doing the rest of the meal and what's more important is it's quiet. The site is fantastic not just in width but in depth. The best thing about this microwave too is that it has a frozen cycle which does not partially cook the food like most microwaves and the defrost is the same, it does not partially cook it actually defrosts completely without cooking it. This is by far the best microwave I have ever had, and I wouldn't want any other brand. It might cost a little more than the usual brands but it's worth it. I also have a mini Whirlpool on my Countertop for my grandchild to use so he keeps away from stovetop at all times.

When you buy a global brand name you expect it to work the first time around. If not, then you expect to have it exchanged not repaired. The microwave did not work out of the box. They made me take it to the shop for repair. I would have expected an exchange for another one and an apology from the "quality control" guy who should have checked it. Apparently Whirlpool (Mexico) doesn't give a rat's ass about their customer base. It's all about getting as many units out the door with poor assembly and no QC.

This unit was new 11/11. Very little oven use but the 1st time the self clean feature was used the outer oven door shattered and now 5 years later there are no replacement parts available. Bought an extended warranty and no results from vendor other than refund $$ on what is left of warranty. Original cost $3200, now useless p.o.s. I will never buy a product manufactured by Whirlpool and hope they go out of business. Bitter... You damn right...

It is a mounted (over the stove) microwave and fit exactly into the space the old one did and it is lasting longer than the previous Whirlpool microwave I had. Easy to use and has all the "special" buttons I wanted at the time (popcorn). Display is large enough to see without my glasses and the various menus are easy to go through. Setting the cook time & cook power is easy. Also like that I can have a timer running at the same time that I am "nuking" something.

We were looking for stainless steel and this model was that. This model has lots of presets which we like. We lucked out and got it on sale and we're able to get features of a more expensive model for a lesser price. The only downside is getting the turntable back in when you clean it. One of the things I wish it had was a way use the timer for foods cooking in the microwave plus use the timer separately for timing food you aren't cooking in the microwave, but will be part of the meal. Also, the defrost options could be clearer!

This microwave is one of the best I've ever used. I've had several brands from generic on up and this one takes the cake. It's very reliable. It works excellent and heats up fast. I've had no problems with it working to full capacity or any fear of it breaking down. It's pricey but well worth the cost if you want worry-free warming and cooking.

Looked at several microwaves before I purchased a Whirlpool. Comments from my Mother about how much she liked her Whirlpool led me to investigate Whirlpool and I was pleased with what I found so I decided to try one. Have owned mine for several years with no problems. Love the fact that all I need to do to clean the microwave is just wipe it off, nothing sticks.

My Whirlpool microwave has been great. Just the right size for my family, with enough settings that it wasn't complicated to use. I found it was very useful with different recipes that I liked to make. I always used it whenever possible to cut down on my cooking time because time is something we don't seem to have enough of. I have baked a lot of different items in my microwave, chickens, all kind of casseroles, cakes. You can even scramble eggs in this one!! It keeps dishes warm until you decide to serve it which is a plus because all microwaves do not have this option. I believe you will enjoy it too!

Just bought a brand new Whirlpool Microwave oven model WM1112D from Amazon.com.mx. Opened the box, plugged it in, it doesn't work. Called the 800 number, it's a joke. We have a Whirlpool manufacturing plant in the metro area. They made me take it there for repair!!?? Why do I need to repair something brand new out of the box. The least I would expect is they apologize and exchange for a brand new one no questions asked. But no, into the shop for check up and repair (no cost). Who is the quality inspector that checked it "GOOD"?? Why does he have a job? No cost? My cost was a 75 minute drive across town and the crappy experience that buying Whirlpool has left on me. Never again. Hope you don't make the same mistake. Judging by the number of units in the repair shop, that model is a piece of crap.

I have a combo Microwave oven/oven GMC275PDS07. When the microwave is finished with the requested program, the end of program chime lets you know it's done. Then, if the door is not opened for at least 3 seconds, the chime will ring again every minute thereafter ad nauseum. This will go on for hours without end. I know because I tried it. I reached out to Whirlpool via a web chat and my question was not even addressed. I was ignored. From reading other submissions, I assume this is de rigueur for Whirlpool. I then called Whirlpool and spoke to Katie in Tennessee. She was not able to bring up any make or model when I provided her the numbers exactly as listed on the inside of the door. She was not able to provide any respite from this annoying feature.

This a Whirlpool Gold model, presumably the top of the line, in my book I will never purchase any Whirlpool product of any type and I will make it a point to let anyone who will listen that Whirlpool is not a manufacturer that takes its customers concerns seriously. Katie then advised that she looked up this feature and told me there is no way to turn the beeping off. I find this amusing since she could not find the model or serial number when I gave it to her.

Purchased a 450.00 Whirlpool over- the-range microwave oven in October 2015 and on January 4, 2017 it is not heating. Timer, light and turntable is working properly. I thought I was buying one of the best products. I was sadly mistaken. So I am a very disappointed senior citizen, is has a fixed income. I still have the receipt from my purchase from Lowe's.

It is a really great microwave, but the door is falling off of it. We can still use it, but try to be careful about it. I honestly and truthfully love my whirlpool microwave as well as my whole set of whirl pool appliances. The door is trying to fall off, but we can still use the microwave. If we get another one we will probably get another whirlpool because I love it so much.

I had it a couple of months and the light stopped working, it's too small. Just not as good as I thought it was. I purchased online, since I could not go to the store. I don't feel it works as well as my old sharp 1/2 pint that lasted many, many years. I doubt this will last much longer, I barely have it 3 years. It says it fits in a corner and it sort of does. From the outside it looks like the inside is higher than what it is and some things just don't fit. The turntable still works, but at times when you take the item off the glass, it comes off with it and you have to play with it until it goes back on.

Whirlpool Microwave WMH1164XWS-1 - Well, I'm sure surprised that my almost five year old Whirlpool microwave failed to heat this evening. One minute it worked, next it didn't. Watched countless repair videos, but it seems more aggravation taking the unit out and trying to diagnose the issue than it's worth. Probably the same with enlisting the services of a repair tech. I'll probably think twice about purchasing another Whirlpool microwave. I purchased a Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator a few months ago and now I'm concerned I'll have the same issues. All my appliances were Whirlpool and purchased ten years ago and replaced with newer models, even though I never had any repair issues. Guess they don't make them like they used to!

Microwave didn't even last 2 years. I bought all new Whirlpool Appliances less than 2 years ago & they were not cheap! The microwave won't work until the light comes on inside. Well for some reason now it takes almost 10 minutes for the light to come on & I have to leave the door open until then. Now today I can't shut it because the light won't shut off & if I try to shut it the fans runs constantly. So frustrating as they don't stand behind any of their products! I will never ever purchase anything Whirlpool again.

Poor Customer Service and Warranty. I called 4 days in different times and every time, I heard due to high volume, it may take longer than normal time. I don't know when the Normal Time is. If the products have many issues, they have to increase their number of people or add more reps. I requested the service because of the light, and the rep is telling me it is not covered and I have to replace it myself. I paid for the complete warranty and now they are saying it's not covered.

Whirlpool WMH53520CSO Microwave oven purchased Aug 2014 - The light and fan will not go off when door is shut and not being used. The microwave gets really hot and afraid it will start a fire. I now keep it unplugged and trying to troubleshoot the problem. Not sure if it is worth a repair. Paid $347 2 years ago.

The microwave keypad is worn down after 10 uses making it difficult to read the pad. I just discovered the microwave was missing the front leg and they do not have a replacement part so I am stuck with a virtually new microwave that will not balance. It took 4 phone calls to their "customer service" department to try and sort out the problem. Poor product and extremely weak customer service department.

We bought this product and had only had it for a couple of weeks when I spilled soup on the open microwave door. My mistake, but I would think that might happen to other people once in a while. The soup leaked around the window gasket of the microwave and streaked the interior of the door. It also ran down into the door of the oven and streaked the interior of that door. No way to clean this up that I know of without taking the door apart. I think these gaskets should not allow liquid they leak into the inside of these doors. Whirlpool says it's my problem. They call it a "use and care" issue. I think it's a design issue.

Bought in October 2014. Died December 2015. The previous Whirlpool microwave this unit replaced was 10 years old and carried a 5 year warranty on the magnetron. Imagine my dismay to find out this unit carried only a 1 year warranty on the magnetron. So 2 months past warranty expiration I'm left with a dead unit. I performed elementary troubleshooting. The unit has a fuse on the 120 Volt input. But the unit must be disassembled to gain access to the fuse. So what SHOULD be a five minute job turned into an hour and a half. The fuse wasn't the problem - replacement fuses blew like popcorn. Fuse placement within the unit without regard for service considerations is a poor design.

To their credit, Whirlpool agreed to cover the cost of repairs if I would pay for labor. I agreed. A tech came out and looked at the unit. He said that he would have to order a bunch of parts and that he would be back in contact by the end of the week. Three weeks went by. There was no call from the tech; my messages on his voicemail generated no response. So a couple of days later I purchased a replacement from a competing manufacturer.

I just contacted Whirlpool Co. by online chat concerning the workmanship of their microwave that is less than two years old. The interior top has begun to bubble and peel as well as rusting. This is the 2nd Whirlpool microwave where I am experiencing bubble and peeling paint as well as rusting. Whirlpool informed that the manufactory was 1 year warranty and to contact a technician at my expense. There is a real health issue here and I hope consumer complaints about this company is being monitored by someone who can help all of those with concerns.

I initially purchased all new Whirlpool products as part of my new home purchase in a Pulte subdivision, June, 2011. My WP microwave failed to heat in 2012 and the replacement of the Magnetron and Inverter and service was covered under warranty (would have cost me $493.51). Sadly, the microwave again failed to heat in 2014. I was so disgusted with this second failure, I decided to live without a MW until January, 2016 when I paid for my second service call and learned, once again, I needed a replacement Magnetron and Inverter, to the tune of $400. Both servicemen told me the 2011 magnetron/ inverter mechanisms were "new technology" and did not last long. Again, sadly, when I contacted Whirlpool, they would not admit to their defective product line and indicated they could do nothing since I am out of warranty. It is unconscionable that a corporation is not liable for their defective products.

We purchased this one (Wall Mount Model # WMH76719CS) on July 30, 2015. About one month ago I started noticing that a simple large cup of water to make tea or instant coffee takes more than 2 minutes on power 10 to heat up enough. It used to take about 1 1/2 minutes. Now, I'm no mathematician, but I believe that's about 25% power loss in 6 months. The same applied to any convection dinner I've tried to cook lately. I'm going to say that I'm dissatisfied with the convection feature and would rather just bake the silly food in the regular oven as usual. Any "planned-overs" trying to re-heat is taking much longer as well as "melting butter". I do not have much confidence in Whirlpool microwaves right now, and may never again.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Whirlpool has a broad range of home appliances available, including washing machines and microwaves. The company is dedicated to helping its customers take better care of themselves and their families.

• Humanitarian aid: Whirlpool has donated a refrigerator and a stove to every Habitat for Humanity house since 1999.
  • Combination wall oven: The combination microwave and convection oven is built into the wall to resemble a traditional oven.
  • AccuPop: Using a sound sensor, the microwave detects the correct time to stop cooking popcorn.
  • Steam cooking: Steam settings let you steam vegetables or add moisture to any dish.
  • Extra-large capacity: Whirlpool goes a step beyond most large-capacity sizes with this 2.2 cubic-feet model.
  • Best for Commercial kitchens, large families and small families. The sizes and functions of the range are best for frequent use.

Compare Microwaves