1.54/5
Based on 196 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

257 Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 3, 2018

Whirlpool Gold microwave quit heating after little use. We moved in house one year ago, microwave 6 years old. Spoke with Timena customer service rep. She took my model, serial info and clearly explained this model had defects and they would replace for free even though 1 year warranty was up. Delivery staff would call within 24 business hours. After 4 days I call back and get Mia rep, she claims I was disapproved for new unit after all?? I spoke to 2 supervisors above her Karin in Tennessee, and another. They claim I was mistaken??? I said, “Look up the recorded call and you will see the message is clear..." They acted shifty and claimed I should buy a new starting at $1399!!! They would consider small discount?? Their rep was clear at first then they failed to back her up. Terrible customer service. Lied etc. Never buy Whirlpool!!! They are cheap and don’t stand behind reps. Awful company!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

We purchased our unit (Microwave Hood Combination #WMH53520AH-1) in Fall of 2013 and within a year we noticed there were occasionally problems with the sensors; occasionally when you would open the door the lights would flicker and even rarer still, they wouldn't turn on at all. I'd close and re-open the door several times to try to get it to register, because if it doesn't you are unable to heat anything in it. The sensor issue increased with the passage of time, but because it was outside of the 1 year warranty, Whirlpool refused to do anything about it, instead advising that I pay $70-140 for a service professional to come out and inspect it. The biggest problem with the sensor issue in this unit is that normally, if you open the door mid-heating cycle, the microwave will automatically turn off but once I opened the door AND IT CONTINUED TO EMIT MICROWAVES - the cycle stayed on!!!

Needless to say, on the occasion that the microwave is actually working and we are heating something up in it, we NEVER open the door mid cycle and instead hit the cancel button, which blessedly works. You would think Whirlpool would care about their reputation for making high-quality electrical products. A flaw in the construction or design of a product can appear if quality of materials is poor and the problem can be exacerbated over time. Which is why I assume the warranty is only for one year. High Quality Products and Good Customer Service are such rare things these days. For our next microwave (which I imagine we'll need soon) I think we'll forego Whirlpool and go with a different company.

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Remodeling kitchen. On Sept. 2017, bought new Whirlpool microwave mod# WMH5352OCS, Actually put to use on Jan. 2017, by Nov. 2017 started getting open door errors by late Dec, 2017 completely quit working. From what I have been reading they barely make it thru the warranty period. Maybe they will run longer if one doesn't register the appliance. Especially with the crappy service for the ones that tried to have it repaired under warranty. I purchased it at Costco online, my next complaint will be to Costco, hopefully they've gotten more complaints and pressure Whirlpool to stand by their product, NO MORE WHIRLPOOL FOR ME EITHER.

Original review: April 10, 2018

2 yrs after my landlord installed WHM31017AW1... Whirlpool oven stove microwave. The door cracked then another crack and pieces from door fell on stove. I removed all loose pieces then glued all cracks & loose pieces on door. Landlord thought door was being closed too hard, silly. After all reviews same, not buying replacement door but having different brand installed.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My Whirlpool Microwave was installed in my new home by the builder. As write this, my microwave is 1 year 2 months old. Just out of warranty. On this day first the turntable wouldn't stop turning with the door open or closed. One hour after this event, the interior light would not turn off. On half hour after this event...the microwave died.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

The door broke down twice and taking months to repair. We bought the model WMH53520cb in 2017 April and since then we had issues with the door. Even the door is closed the microwave doesn’t turn on. The latest issue happened on Jan 2018 and still not been repaired. Seems like they are waiting for my one year warranty to expire.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My Whirlpool Microwave is cracked all around the door handle and the frame with the insulation foam hanging out of the cracks. Dishwasher also having issues. Completely dissatisfied with Whirlpool Appliances. No longer under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Bought this microwave combo oven from Lowe's. Went to change the charcoal filters, as specified by the owner's manual, and the top cover and the side cover fell apart when I removed the filter cover screws. After two appointments the service tech came out for about 5 minutes to tell me that only mechanical failure is covered by the extended warranty which I also purchased from Lowe's.

The problem with Whirlpool is that they make the top cover, and some other parts, with cheap thin plastic which crumbles when exposed to heat. The repair tech said, "Don't worry. I'll see what I can do." And then he left. Actually the warranty booklet said "wear and tear" is covered in addition to mechanical failure. It's inexplicable to me why any manufacturer would use cheap plastic for an over the range product. And I intend to fight this until I get this appliance repaired under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Microwave model WMH73521CS-2: Microwave is approx 2.5 yrs old. This is the 2nd time we have had problems with door open and close msg appearing on display. We had to have door latches replaced once and again are having to have it serviced again. $100 for service to come out again, does not include cost of replacement parts. This seems to be a consistent problem with this model. We are not replacing the parts and are buying a different microwave. Definitely not Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool and was on hold for almost an hour and received no resolution to problem.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I bought a Whirlpool over the range microwave in 2015, after about 6 months in I noticed that the microwave door was starting to crack. I thought maybe I bought a cracked one. About a year in the microwave is cracked. Pieces of the microwave are starting to fall on the food I am cooking. The last straw was when my 4-year-old was gagging and then choking on a piece of the plastic that fell from my microwave.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

This is the only time in my life when I have seen a Microwave behave so badly (and one that is relatively expensive). The microwave is defective out of the box. Seems like there is a comWhirlpool MWA269 (4You)mon trend with Whirlpool products and cheap Chinese boards. The microwave never stops working once the timer runs out. It will just keep going. Model is Whirlpool MWA269 (4You).

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Had this model (WMH73521CS-6) installed as part of kitchen remodel. After 8 months, microwave is failing, indicating door needs to be opened, then closed to operate. This does not fix the issue or reset the condition. AND, there is no way to reset the microwave electronics, not even power cycling (unplugging and replugging from/to electrical outlet).

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

We purchased a Whirlpool over the range microwave WH32L19AS1 just over a year ago. {No we didn't buy the extended warranty.} We were reheating some food in the microwave at noon the other day and the microwave made very loud bang and started to hum really strange. We have since discovered the Megatron or something like that has gone out. Just parts $150.00. So we decided to trash the broken Whirlpool microwave. We did some googling and discovered that there is big trouble with this product.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Purchased new Whirlpool Microwave Model # WMH32517AT on 10/27/13 for $245.20. Fried circuit board on 4 11/15 & repair was $255. Now 7/31/17 fried circuit board AGAIN. Going to throw away and buy another brand. My message is short - Junk.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I bought my Whirlpool over the range microwave WMH32L19AS November 28, 2015. We started having problems with it, working intermittently one year later. I called Whirlpool in January 2017 and they told me it was out of warranty and it would cost $150.00 for a repair person to just look at it. I decided to just keep using the microwave because I only paid $232.00 for it and I figured after parts and labor if would probably cost over $200.00 to fix it.

I called Whirlpool back in June because the microwave wouldn't shut off and even kept running when you opened the door. Whirlpool sent out a repair person at no cost to fix it. But the repair person told me Whirlpool only paid for him to diagnose the problem. I had to pay for the repair. After working on the microwave and replacing sensors and fuses he determined the microwave irreparable. I called Whirlpool back and they just told me that my microwave is 1 1/2 years old and they were not responsible after 1 year and I should have bought the extended warranty. I will never buy another Whirlpool appliance again.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I have spent 30 minutes trying to change light bulb under the oven and get the cover plate back on. I watched the film on how to do it, it was amusing to watch the struggle to get it on. It was amusing to say the least. Whirlpool watching it??? I do not believe whoever designed this worthless time consuming light cover never tested it one time, or it would had been more user friendly. It amazes me what kind of trash they can build for us consumers to have to deal with at times. Tomorrow this overhead piece of junk is coming out and being replaced by a "non" Whirlpool one. I am going to get a tractor and smash it into little pieces and put on side of street with a note saying "this is what happens when you try for an hour to change the bulb".

Original review: June 9, 2017

I purchased a Whirlpool microwave at the end of November 2015. Since then it has needed repair 3 times. Now I am being told it is not repairable. Microwave is only 1.5 years old and Whirlpool would not stand behind its product and provide additional warranty service or even a discount toward a new one. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was just left on hold, 20 minutes later I hung up! Poor customer service!

Original review: May 12, 2017

Steer clear of Whirlpool. We own 4 homes, 3 vacation rentals, and a primary. Collectively we have a lot of experience with appliances and the Whirlpool Gold series installed in December of 2014 have been the worse by far and away. The microwave had its first issue at just under 1 year, "door open" sensor malfunctions, light is off, and microwave will not start. Same issue that many folks have had issues with and described on this site.

We tried to use the warranty. That was an absolute inconvenience and we got the total runaround. They dispatched the technician to our primary residence, even though I made extra clear where the appliance resided. Took time off work for that one. Then they tried to dispatch another one 2 weeks later and it turns out they don't service the area. They told us the morning of. So I uninstalled the microwave and took it to the repair shop 45 mins north of our house. Took them a month, but it was supposedly fixed. Same issue started months later, but works occasionally, until now. Now it won't work and we are back to square one. The dishwasher and oven have each had major issues as well. Never again with Whirlpool. Our independent appliance repairman says it's a shame as Whirlpool used to be a great product. Now it's made in China and likely designed to fail so we have to buy more parts. Do yourself a favor and steer clear.

Original review: April 3, 2017

A few months ago our Whirlpool microwave just completely died. We had only been in our brand new home for about 18 months at the time, so I was very disappointed. I would have bought a different brand at that time, but didn't want it to look ridiculous, as it is mounted in the cabinet above the Whirlpool oven I was shocked to get a text from my wife a couple days ago, saying the same thing had happened to our oven. I thought that it must be a circuit breaker. My parents had Whirlpool appliances in my home growing up and we never had a problem with our oven. Well... I was wrong not a circuit breaker. The thing is just dead. Nice... Thanks Whirlpool! Thanks Century Communities for installing the absolute cheapest products in my home! Wonder what will be next? Probably the range top... I'll let you know.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I actually need help, we have had our over the stove microwave for two years, for the last 8 months it has inconsistently worked. We have to wait for the light to come on before it will come on and here lately, I have push on it to get it to work. This happens daily. Does anyone have any suggestions, I would hate to have to replace a two year old microwave.

Original review: March 11, 2017

We bought the over-the-range Whirlpool microwave, model #WMH53520AH-1, about four years ago from Pacific Appliance Sales Kitchen and Home inside a Best Buy store in San Diego. The Magnetron and Diode have malfunctioned and been replaced. Now the plastic around the door is falling apart, cracking, and splitting. This is unacceptable, poor craftsmanship, and low quality for the price of this Whirlpool appliance. This needs to be reported to the company and properly addressed. Until then, we're staying away from any Whirlpool related products. We also own Cabrio W/D. The washing machine has had problems from year one. I'm submitting a separate review for this appliance. Consumer beware!

Original review: March 10, 2017

Purchased microwave 7/3/2016 & paid for installation on 7/9/16. Product started malfunctioned in December. Technician came out 12/30/16 and as of today we still do NOT have microwave. Whirlpool claims they issued credit for microwave & installation. But somehow between safety department & vendor relations with hhgregg they want us to pay AGAIN for installation & haul away on a defective microwave. Hhgregg vendor relations & Whirlpool pointing fingers at each other, we are still without a paid in full microwave. No one cares, and we have been treated poorly by both Whirlpool & hhgregg. It's 3 months without a microwave and Whirlpool doesn't seem to care one bit. Worst customer service I've ever received.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

We moved to a new home with all new Whirlpool appliances. We have been here 4 weeks and so far the stove has had a faulty part replaced in oven and now my microwave will not fully pop popcorn. Wonder what to expect next?? If you have a choice don't buy this brand. Inferior product.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Whirlpool 2 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave - My wife and I have just remodeled our kitchen and we bought all the Whirlpool appliances, fridge, stove and microwave. We have had them for about 3 weeks now and now the display on the microwave just stop working. I just cant believe this. It's going to be a real pain now to remove this and replace it. Has anybody else had this problem and I wonder if it's even covered under its warranty.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Whirlpool has always been a quality product in my household. I had Whirlpool microwave prior to the one I recently purchased. It lasted 10 years and was used frequently and always on daily basis. It worked like a dream and I would never purchase any other brand!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I had the first microwave for 6 years. My husband messed it up so got a new one, same over the stove type. It has lots of programs. It's a rather large microwave, plus it has a steamer which cooks vegetables with steam while I am doing the rest of the meal and what's more important is it's quiet. The site is fantastic not just in width but in depth. The best thing about this microwave too is that it has a frozen cycle which does not partially cook the food like most microwaves and the defrost is the same, it does not partially cook it actually defrosts completely without cooking it. This is by far the best microwave I have ever had, and I wouldn't want any other brand. It might cost a little more than the usual brands but it's worth it. I also have a mini Whirlpool on my Countertop for my grandchild to use so he keeps away from stovetop at all times.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

When you buy a global brand name you expect it to work the first time around. If not, then you expect to have it exchanged not repaired. The microwave did not work out of the box. They made me take it to the shop for repair. I would have expected an exchange for another one and an apology from the "quality control" guy who should have checked it. Apparently Whirlpool (Mexico) doesn't give a rat's ass about their customer base. It's all about getting as many units out the door with poor assembly and no QC.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

This unit was new 11/11. Very little oven use but the 1st time the self clean feature was used the outer oven door shattered and now 5 years later there are no replacement parts available. Bought an extended warranty and no results from vendor other than refund $$ on what is left of warranty. Original cost $3200, now useless p.o.s. I will never buy a product manufactured by Whirlpool and hope they go out of business. Bitter... You damn right...

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

It is a mounted (over the stove) microwave and fit exactly into the space the old one did and it is lasting longer than the previous Whirlpool microwave I had. Easy to use and has all the "special" buttons I wanted at the time (popcorn). Display is large enough to see without my glasses and the various menus are easy to go through. Setting the cook time & cook power is easy. Also like that I can have a timer running at the same time that I am "nuking" something.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

We were looking for stainless steel and this model was that. This model has lots of presets which we like. We lucked out and got it on sale and we're able to get features of a more expensive model for a lesser price. The only downside is getting the turntable back in when you clean it. One of the things I wish it had was a way use the timer for foods cooking in the microwave plus use the timer separately for timing food you aren't cooking in the microwave, but will be part of the meal. Also, the defrost options could be clearer!

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool has a broad range of home appliances available, including washing machines and microwaves. The company is dedicated to helping its customers take better care of themselves and their families.

• Humanitarian aid: Whirlpool has donated a refrigerator and a stove to every Habitat for Humanity house since 1999.

• Combination wall oven: The combination microwave and convection oven is built into the wall to resemble a traditional oven.

• AccuPop: Using a sound sensor, the microwave detects the correct time to stop cooking popcorn.

• Steam cooking: Steam settings let you steam vegetables or add moisture to any dish.

• Extra-large capacity: Whirlpool goes a step beyond most large-capacity sizes with this 2.2 cubic-feet model.

• Best for: Commercial kitchens, large families and small families. The sizes and functions of the range are best for frequent use.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs