Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

273 Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

Right from the start of buying a new suite of Whirlpool appliances, the light over the range burnt out. We figured it was just a bad bulb so we replaced it. Soon it burnt out again, replaced it again, then again it burnt out. I finally called Whirlpool about the problem and found out it is the electronic panel that needs to be replaced... Of course at a full charge to me! I am so over WhirlPoo, (yes I spelled it that way on purpose) every single appliance has had issues. I have just lived without a light over my range because fixing it is more expensive than buying a whole new microwave. Never again will I buy any WhirlPoo appliance!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I've owned the microwave for 2 years, and recently the DOOR AJAR alarm goes off whenever I try using it. The appliance is now essentially unusable. I wish I knew about this known defect before purchasing. I spoke with Whirlpool Customer Care, and they want to charge me to have someone come fix a known defect. The charge is more than what I paid for the microwave. Please avoid Whirlpool at all costs!

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Very concerned. First the microwave broke. It seems that is burning on the inside. The model number is MH1150XMS-2, purchased in 2005. I have had to replace the plate. I have read of many recalls, because of the potential of fire. My model was not among the ones on the recall list.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My Whirlpool microwave oven is terrible. The whole point of a microwave is to cook things faster and make one's life easier. The main problem is food doesn't actually cook due to sensors. Cooking bacon, for example, should be a simple, quick item that easily cooks in a microwave within minutes. Not w/ this Whirlpool! The sensor would not allow the bacon to cook - even after 20 minutes of trying!! Foods such as Bob Evans family sized mashed potatoes can't be cooked either. The sensor in this microwave ensures that only the outer layer is hot while the middle is stone cold. Also, the fan has never worked from day 1, and we're now on 6 months of ownership. This wasn't a cheap microwave either, so I'm SOL. Please don't make the mistake I made. Don't buy Whirlpool.

Original review: March 27, 2019

After two months there was a burning smell. Whirlpool said it must have been installed wrong. So I checked with contractor who said it is only plugged in. There's no installation! Before I could call back it caught on fire and smoke was billowing out. It had to be ripped out of my brand new kitchen. Whirlpool sent an appliance company to get it. They had it for over a month "waiting for a part" which come to find out Whirlpool forgot to order. Once returned it smelt of burnt plastic. Whirlpool refused to trade it in even though it is still under manufacturers warranty. Awful customer service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: March 25, 2019

NOT Even a 1 STAR!!! We spent A LOT of money on a Whirlpool Smart wall oven combo. It has only been installed for about 2 hrs. My husband and I have been trying to figure out why all the features on the Whirlpool app aren’t working. Most of our home has smart features and is connected to our phones so it’s not the fact that we aren’t tech savvy. I finally gave up and decided I’ll call customer service line about it tomorrow when they open. It’s Sunday night so every number we call says it’s outside of business hrs. Then excited to turn on the oven for the first time I turn the oven on and the noise that the fan is making is so loud you can’t even talk over it. The oven has been off for 15 min now but the noise continues. 3000.00 for a huge disappointment. Not to mention the thing is HEAVY.

So the thought of us having to remove it and replace it with another does NOT make us happy at all. Best Buy or Whirlpool WILL be the ones doing that. For the trouble and money spent that’s the least they can do. Also family is coming into town for the holiday. We made sure to purchase way ahead of time to be sure we had it, installed it and can use it a few times to get the new smell out of it. Very very upset, angry and disappointed. Now it’s been 10 more minutes and the loud broken fan still won’t even turn off. Now we have to shut it off at the breaker. At this point I don’t think we will be even exchanging it for the same product. I knew we should have bought a Samsung!

Original review: March 11, 2019

We own a Whirlpool microwave hood combination. The door started cracking where the handle attaches. Ordered a new door and installed in July 2017. 18 months in the door and the handle have both started to crack again. This seems to be a problem with Whirlpool microwaves but they won't stand behind their product. They'll send someone out to replace it for $$$$ but they won't admit they have a flawed product. One year warranty - no exceptions. Will have to replace the microwave and it won't be Whirlpool!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Purchased new home with Whirlpool appliances installed Aug 21/17. Six months ago, I noticed that when I opened the door to the microwave over my range, the light flickered. A few months ago, intermittently, stopped working, now, not working. After reading the reviews, I am having the same problems other consumers are having. DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS! DON'T BUY!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The microwave (wmh32519fs) is about a little a year old. It intermittently will not start with the message close/open door. Called Whirlpool. They refused to repair because it is out of warranty (1 year). I am fed up with this issue and probably buying a new one but not Whirlpool, a crappy product!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Just like many other reviews about this brand - our microwave went bad after only 14 months of using it. Initially the door sensor would register - it won't operate even if the door is closed. Or it will keep going even if the door is open. I contacted BBB and the Whirlpool corporation regarding this safety issue. I pointed out that the safety mechanism is faulty and they should recall all of those models that have similar issue with door sensor. This is extremely dangerous for households with kids. There is a reason why this safety mechanism is mandatory in all microwaves! Whirlpool pointed out to me that I should not try to operate microwave with open door and refused to take any responsibility. I've owned probably 10 different microwaves over the years and NEVER had micro go bad after only one year, yet alone have completely faulty safety mechanism. Consumer beware!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

4 years ago, we purchased a Model UMV1160CW-3 over the range microwave. After 14 months the door cracked around the handle and eventually fell off. We made the HUGE mistake of buying the same model for ease of installation thinking that this would be a typical issue. We purchase another duplicate model in April of 2016 and less than 16 months later the same issue occurred. Spoke to customer service on 12/28/2018 and they told me that they would pick up the cost of the parts but I would be responsible for labor which actually exceeded the cost of the microwave. Exceedingly poor-quality product and support. Will not purchase another Whirlpool appliance.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I had a full set of kitchen appliances delivered to me on December 11. The delivery crew installed everything but the microwave because we needed to have wiring done. Three days later an electrician came and upon opening the microwave box it was severely damaged. Whirlpool won’t replace it because I called one day outside their 48 hour window. They delivered me a damaged product – period. It should be replaced without question. Instead they want to send a “cosmetic tech” out to see if it can be fixed. I can’t imagine that’s a more cost-effective method for them. Completely unacceptable. I will never buy Whirlpool again based on their lack of customer service and common sense.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Like many others I'm experiencing the same sensor problem with my 4-year old Whirlpool oven. It won't start even after opening and closing the door multiple times as directed. I installed this oven to replace the original Whirlpool model when it died after about seven years. I'm absolutely done with this thing. How frustrating when you find out that your guest isn't able to a forgotten cup of coffee that went cold. I thought to call a repairman but after reading all the reviews, I feel it's better to switch brands.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My Whirlpool Microwave models WMH32519FS was installed in my new home by the KB Home builder Nov 2017 and went bad on Nov 23, 2018. As write this, my microwave is 1 year & 15 days old. Just out of warranty. The micro Keep show the same issue, open the door & closed the door. Still is not working, the microwave died On Black Friday 2018. RIP Whirlpool, I will never buy you.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

After 2.5 years seal around door melted on microwave. Whirlpool Corp sent a repairman to do a safety check. Said unit was ok to use. Plastic seal on for area totally melted about 2 inches wide. Co. Had a recall about a similar problem but our serial number was not included???? Did not want to give them any stars.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

House is 3 years old, builder put in all new Whirlpool appliances... first 2 years dishwasher leaked causing 18k in water damages... now the microwave just went out. BUYER BEWARE... DON'T BY ANY OF WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS "POO-POO-POO". Unfortunately none of our products were still under warranty, since they were over a year old at the time they broke down. NEVER BUY FROM AGAIN!!! SHAMEFUL COMPANY!!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

Whirlpool Gold microwave quit heating after little use. We moved in house one year ago, microwave 6 years old. Spoke with Timena customer service rep. She took my model, serial info and clearly explained this model had defects and they would replace for free even though 1 year warranty was up. Delivery staff would call within 24 business hours. After 4 days I call back and get Mia rep, she claims I was disapproved for new unit after all?? I spoke to 2 supervisors above her Karin in Tennessee, and another. They claim I was mistaken??? I said, “Look up the recorded call and you will see the message is clear..." They acted shifty and claimed I should buy a new starting at $1399!!! They would consider small discount?? Their rep was clear at first then they failed to back her up. Terrible customer service. Lied etc. Never buy Whirlpool!!! They are cheap and don’t stand behind reps. Awful company!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

We purchased our unit (Microwave Hood Combination #WMH53520AH-1) in Fall of 2013 and within a year we noticed there were occasionally problems with the sensors; occasionally when you would open the door the lights would flicker and even rarer still, they wouldn't turn on at all. I'd close and re-open the door several times to try to get it to register, because if it doesn't you are unable to heat anything in it. The sensor issue increased with the passage of time, but because it was outside of the 1 year warranty, Whirlpool refused to do anything about it, instead advising that I pay $70-140 for a service professional to come out and inspect it. The biggest problem with the sensor issue in this unit is that normally, if you open the door mid-heating cycle, the microwave will automatically turn off but once I opened the door AND IT CONTINUED TO EMIT MICROWAVES - the cycle stayed on!!!

Needless to say, on the occasion that the microwave is actually working and we are heating something up in it, we NEVER open the door mid cycle and instead hit the cancel button, which blessedly works. You would think Whirlpool would care about their reputation for making high-quality electrical products. A flaw in the construction or design of a product can appear if quality of materials is poor and the problem can be exacerbated over time. Which is why I assume the warranty is only for one year. High Quality Products and Good Customer Service are such rare things these days. For our next microwave (which I imagine we'll need soon) I think we'll forego Whirlpool and go with a different company.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Remodeling kitchen. On Sept. 2017, bought new Whirlpool microwave mod# WMH5352OCS, Actually put to use on Jan. 2017, by Nov. 2017 started getting open door errors by late Dec, 2017 completely quit working. From what I have been reading they barely make it thru the warranty period. Maybe they will run longer if one doesn't register the appliance. Especially with the crappy service for the ones that tried to have it repaired under warranty. I purchased it at Costco online, my next complaint will be to Costco, hopefully they've gotten more complaints and pressure Whirlpool to stand by their product, NO MORE WHIRLPOOL FOR ME EITHER.

Original review: April 10, 2018

2 yrs after my landlord installed WHM31017AW1... Whirlpool oven stove microwave. The door cracked then another crack and pieces from door fell on stove. I removed all loose pieces then glued all cracks & loose pieces on door. Landlord thought door was being closed too hard, silly. After all reviews same, not buying replacement door but having different brand installed.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My Whirlpool Microwave was installed in my new home by the builder. As write this, my microwave is 1 year 2 months old. Just out of warranty. On this day first the turntable wouldn't stop turning with the door open or closed. One hour after this event, the interior light would not turn off. On half hour after this event...the microwave died.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

The door broke down twice and taking months to repair. We bought the model WMH53520cb in 2017 April and since then we had issues with the door. Even the door is closed the microwave doesn’t turn on. The latest issue happened on Jan 2018 and still not been repaired. Seems like they are waiting for my one year warranty to expire.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My Whirlpool Microwave is cracked all around the door handle and the frame with the insulation foam hanging out of the cracks. Dishwasher also having issues. Completely dissatisfied with Whirlpool Appliances. No longer under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Bought this microwave combo oven from Lowe's. Went to change the charcoal filters, as specified by the owner's manual, and the top cover and the side cover fell apart when I removed the filter cover screws. After two appointments the service tech came out for about 5 minutes to tell me that only mechanical failure is covered by the extended warranty which I also purchased from Lowe's.

The problem with Whirlpool is that they make the top cover, and some other parts, with cheap thin plastic which crumbles when exposed to heat. The repair tech said, "Don't worry. I'll see what I can do." And then he left. Actually the warranty booklet said "wear and tear" is covered in addition to mechanical failure. It's inexplicable to me why any manufacturer would use cheap plastic for an over the range product. And I intend to fight this until I get this appliance repaired under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Microwave model WMH73521CS-2: Microwave is approx 2.5 yrs old. This is the 2nd time we have had problems with door open and close msg appearing on display. We had to have door latches replaced once and again are having to have it serviced again. $100 for service to come out again, does not include cost of replacement parts. This seems to be a consistent problem with this model. We are not replacing the parts and are buying a different microwave. Definitely not Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool and was on hold for almost an hour and received no resolution to problem.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I bought a Whirlpool over the range microwave in 2015, after about 6 months in I noticed that the microwave door was starting to crack. I thought maybe I bought a cracked one. About a year in the microwave is cracked. Pieces of the microwave are starting to fall on the food I am cooking. The last straw was when my 4-year-old was gagging and then choking on a piece of the plastic that fell from my microwave.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

This is the only time in my life when I have seen a Microwave behave so badly (and one that is relatively expensive). The microwave is defective out of the box. Seems like there is a comWhirlpool MWA269 (4You)mon trend with Whirlpool products and cheap Chinese boards. The microwave never stops working once the timer runs out. It will just keep going. Model is Whirlpool MWA269 (4You).

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Had this model (WMH73521CS-6) installed as part of kitchen remodel. After 8 months, microwave is failing, indicating door needs to be opened, then closed to operate. This does not fix the issue or reset the condition. AND, there is no way to reset the microwave electronics, not even power cycling (unplugging and replugging from/to electrical outlet).

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

We purchased a Whirlpool over the range microwave WH32L19AS1 just over a year ago. {No we didn't buy the extended warranty.} We were reheating some food in the microwave at noon the other day and the microwave made very loud bang and started to hum really strange. We have since discovered the Megatron or something like that has gone out. Just parts $150.00. So we decided to trash the broken Whirlpool microwave. We did some googling and discovered that there is big trouble with this product.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Purchased new Whirlpool Microwave Model # WMH32517AT on 10/27/13 for $245.20. Fried circuit board on 4 11/15 & repair was $255. Now 7/31/17 fried circuit board AGAIN. Going to throw away and buy another brand. My message is short - Junk.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool has a broad range of home appliances available, including washing machines and microwaves. The company is dedicated to helping its customers take better care of themselves and their families.

• Humanitarian aid: Whirlpool has donated a refrigerator and a stove to every Habitat for Humanity house since 1999.

• Combination wall oven: The combination microwave and convection oven is built into the wall to resemble a traditional oven.

• AccuPop: Using a sound sensor, the microwave detects the correct time to stop cooking popcorn.

• Steam cooking: Steam settings let you steam vegetables or add moisture to any dish.

• Extra-large capacity: Whirlpool goes a step beyond most large-capacity sizes with this 2.2 cubic-feet model.

• Best for: Commercial kitchens, large families and small families. The sizes and functions of the range are best for frequent use.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs