GE Spacemaker Microwaves
  • 1 star
Based on 58 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

GE Spacemaker Microwave Ovens

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 29, 2017

119 GE Spacemaker Microwaves Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Installed a GE Over the Range Microwave Oven - JVM3160DF2WW on April 28, 2015. As of Aug 25th, it no longer heats food and makes a terrible sound when turned on. Too expensive to try to fix, so we will be replacing it with a different brand after reading all of the reviews here.

Original review: March 21, 2017

The cover on my GE Spacemaker Microwave caught on fire! Model JVM1540DM5WW. After doing research I see this has been a common problem. Is there currently a recall? Feel unsafe with this product and looking for help how to resolve this matter.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

GE Microwave Oven model jvm3160df2ww. Not even 6 months old, won't turn on. Light keeps blinking and microwave clicks. Piece of junk. Should have known better to purchase as we've had trouble with other GE appliances. Would like to know if there is a recall on this product.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

Ours came with the purchase of the home. We have a second microwave by Oster on the counter-top and do not even use this one. There are cracks in the door and a yellowing of the walls inside. The cracks are very disturbing but were deemed "cosmetic" and it "happens with wear and tear". I still do not trust that assessment. It was over the phone sight unseen.

Original review: May 14, 2016

Former GE employee (not the Appliance Group). Spacemaker over stove Microwave oven F3 function issue at a rental property. Advised to replace the circuit board behind the control panel. However, after reading through all of the threads posted w/ a variety of both product and service issues I have decided to simply purchase a replacement oven today and it will not be GE. Not logical to feed a beast w/ problems and an apathetic attitude in problem resolution. All the staff meeting talk each week w/ no corrective action doesn't buy consumer confidence.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: March 13, 2016

Our first was installed in 2001. We sold the house a year later. The new owners told us it died within a year. Our second was installed in 1996; we bought the house in 2002. It died within a year- ran nonstop unless we unplugged it. 280 dollars to fix, and that got us less than another year of use. When it died the second time, we opted for a countertop unit, leaving the other still installed and unusable.

Finally 5 years or so ago, we replaced the built-in with another GE. The lining of the top was flaking off within 3 years, as another reviewer noted. Finally at about 5 years, it started beeping and flashing that there was a malfunction and it needed a new control panel. We replaced that, and the touch pad refused to respond. We replaced THAT, and within two weeks it was doing the same behavior (running nonstop unless we unplugged it) as its predecessor. The countertop oven worked fine for years- those are well made and durable. The built-ins, though - let's just say you could not pay me to own another GE built-in.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

This 4 year old microwave has two lights which shine down on our regular stove. The lights are high intensity and are enclosed in a small area, with a piece of glass that is within a metal frame that swings down for changing. The issue is the light heats up so much within the tiny enclosed space that it burns out quickly or the socket, which is made of metal encased in plastic, falls apart. The socket has fallen apart twice now. The first time, I paid around $120 to have a repairman change the socket. This time, the bulb separated from its base which is fused to the socket, and the plastic exterior disintegrated. I am not going to have it repaired, but will live with it until I throw it out. Poor overall design. Any designer would have to be aware of the tremendous heat that would be created and exist in such a small space. I will not buy a GE appliance again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

Purchase a GE JVM 1540DMWW from Home Depot in Nov 2012. We are snow birds resident in Florida for 5 1/2 months. Microwave installed Feb 2013. Total usage of 1 time per week for time here (15 months) is about 60 times at the most. Tonight (Nov 2015) a hole appeared in the ceiling. Called GE and was told it was under warranty and to make appointment - $89 for visit plus parts and labour - cost could be $200 or more. Said this was ridiculous - will replace with another brand. Never GE again. Be around $200 depending on part - wow! Only cost $200 new.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2015

My purchase was in 2006. The roof started to bubble a year ago and now is chipping away! Can't be healthy! I've read many other reviews about the same issue! GE is suppose to be a brand we can count on! I am hoping to get this resolved by contacting their customer service today! If I have to, I will be reporting them to the BBB!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I have had a stainless Spacemaker microwave for 5 years. It came with my new house. The vent above the door has broken twice in five years. It's a good thing I'm handy with tools or I'd be livid. The vent frame made out of a brittle type of plastic that apparently cracks if there is the slightest amount of grease on the metal door. Each time it's cost me $100 in parts to replace.

What's worse - the screws that hold the door in place are only accessible from above. You need to physically lower the entire microwave to access the screws. Mine has tile and grout behind the microwave all the way up to the frame of the oven so it's a huge ordeal to lower it. (Plus, it's heavy and you need two people.) Oh, and the oven light has burned out twice. Guess what - you need to remove the vent frame to access the light. If the vent door breaks again, this microwave is getting kicked to the curb. And I'm getting an LED bulb because I'm sick of replacing bulbs and am not going to remove the vent cover a fourth time.

Original review: June 2, 2015

GE Model #: PVM1790SR1SS Microwave + Convection oven - Chrome plating on door handle began bubbling in 1.5 yrs and started peeling off in 2 yrs. See picture attached. Even the GE logo started fading off. GE serviceman said its not covered under warranty and not a manufacturing defect either. The plating may have fallen into our food and is a health hazard. The microwave stopped working in 2.5 yrs. GE service said the door switch needed to be replaced. They charged me $206 in labor to replace a door switch that costs $24. It took the service man 5 minutes to replace the switch. I paid $600 for the unit, so this service cost me 40% of the original cost of the unit. Remember it was only 2.5 years old. I called GE to confirm the cost and they confirmed that the charge is accurate. Can you believe it? The CEO took home $14M in 2014. Now you know how! LOOT.

GE has revenue targets for its service men! You can only have revenue targets for service men when you have targets for defects; more defects, more revenue, right? Perhaps GE should be credited with inventing 'Made to Fail' engineering. GE responds to Facebook comments but remove/hide customer's negative posts. Their fb page is full of irrelevant cooking crap inserted to mask the real issue, POOR QUALITY, LOOTING SERVICE. Facebook would only let them do that if they are in this for the companies and not customers like you and me. The same with BBB and other so called customer portals. I also learned that the GE magnetron made by Samsung. What if GM told you that your Buick had a Honda engine and Hyundai chassis. And oh btw, if GE were to run Ford, it'll cost you $12,000 to replace the spark plug in your 2.5 year old $30,000 Ford Taurus (based on % I paid above).

Original review: May 8, 2015

In 2005 we purchased a GE Profile Convection/Microwave from Sears. The extended warranty from Sears, after two years, became a constantly increasing money-grubbing waste so we cancelled it. The unit performed fantastically for 9 yrs+9 months. Then it began buzzing, nuking foods took 2x longer, it overheated zapping potatoes, and two months before its 10th birthday and warranty expiration it died.

"Luckily GE said we had separate 10-yr extended magnetron warranty. I called GE & Sears. Both routed me to a rude repair center in San Antonio TX. All they could say was $99 service call. Finally Sears local service center said it was a Factory Authorized GE Serv Ctr; for $50 it could eval & repair. The unit went on a road trip to Chattanooga TN for 3 weeks. Then we're informed Sears isn't a GE Factory Repair Center! Found out it needs magnetron, a primary switch, and our light is fading but they don't note that. Estimate $125 extra with $67+ being parts (magnetron $49, switch $7.90 plus bulb) plus labor. 1 yr warranty on replacement magnetron although I don't know what brand they'd use.

Now ** at GE happily wants to assist. She offers 25% off parts & labor. However she says we have only a 5yr magnetron warranty. I have to get my manual to prove we've got 10yrs and finally she agrees. The tech comes out 4 days later and 1+ hours late. However, ** is nice, polite, clean, and speaks clear English. However he's adamant we only have 5 yrs warranty, and he's surprised we're even planning on fixing it. Estimate? $416.98; after taking $50 off parts & $50 off labor--full price almost equaled what we paid for it $550 brand new! GE quoted me $149 for the magnetron; ** said it was $167.60. Take that off, the cost is still $249 less tax deducted. ** also promised me a new 5 yr warranty on the replacement magnetron too. The switch? Cost is $32.50!

Since I couldn't find my manual for **, he refused to honor the 10 yr warranty since GE changed that after our purchase. He blatantly didn't care what ** said either! He also informed me there'd be no new warranty on the new magnetron. So much to expecting consistency from GE Service and it's representing field employee.

Now pissed I called GE. They placed me on hold for 5 min twice then hang up. The second call eventually got me to **to which now she needed 10 minutes time to "catch up." She was still sweet, but admitted to not knowing GE Policy on the replacement magnetron warranty. ** got frustrated, packed his tools & departed.

In CA it's a consumer protection law that we receive a full estimate before any work commences. Imperative that those in other states get similar legislation passed. Here, the GE showed up, w/o any estimates or having me sign authorization, he opens it up, hands me bill, and the fun begins. I told GE per Sears what parts I'd need, and **verified Sears was correct.

However, while ** at GE (she's in SD btw) knew what my parts would cost, "somehow" she could not (another GE Policy) inform me what labor costs would be. One would think if Sears wants $70 for labor, GE would charge something "reasonable." Hahaha!! GE's ** looked totally serious when he quoted $204 to change out the magnetron!

In comparison, when you call your mechanic about a car repair, he/she looks up the part, checks another manual regarding authorized labor charges, and before you hang up the phone you know exactly what you're in for. No excuse that GE cannot-or refuses to do same. It's playing dumb about it that's exasperating. GE's ** then offered to throw in the switch for free. Big deal! Even if the magnetron is covered under what is really a hollow warranty--and the Samsung unit gets replaced with another Samsung magnetron btw, we're still paying 3x the labor plus $99 home visit fee vs $50 for Sears to perform diagnostics.

I'd have been willing to pay IF the charges were reasonable. IF we'd been given full disclosure on fees upfront (when I first called GE) and thus could make an informed decision. But we feel GE deliberately played into our disaster to deliberately place us in a further uncomfortable situation. **'s final offer? To sell us a replacement unit at discount. I may call her just to find out if the replacement would've been new or reconditioned. And how much $$?

We're thrilled with the unit's performance. We use it several times daily; cooking, baking, microwaving, combo cooking, defrosting, reheating, etc...we love it. But it makes us very suspicious that GE halved the magnetron warranty--and our unit blew its own just two months before the warranty expired altogether. GE brought our wrath to light. This isn't a used car, and it feels cheaply whorish the way GE threw discounts around trying to bait us in. There's no excuse for the lack of disclosure(s) and overt bait & switch tactics.

Note: The person who claims GE is bs'ing when it claims that it cannot send magnetrons via USPS is totally right. Years ago I purchased a magnetron for a Kenmore we used to have. It arrived no problem. The only good thing here is that I didn't have to even argue in refusing to pay the $99 home visit fee. I explained to ** how I felt, and she said she'd email ** the $99 fee was being waived. They should've paid me $99 for the hassle.

Original review: March 1, 2015

I purchased a GE microwave cum convection oven for $800 from Home Depot and it's dead in 2 years. Within year I noticed that chrome plating on outside was peeling and then one fine day it's dead. We are 2 people at home and used the convection oven just once. I knew of GE's dying reputation but bought this one just so I don't have a problem fixing another brand in the existing space. If GE has gone from bad to worse, its service has gone from bad to miserable. Neither the company nor its call center reps have any interest in you or the company. Almost feels like they're going through the motions before the whole thing folds up. The American in me is ashamed that I have to settle for an LG or a Samsung. I can't afford to feed the economy anymore.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

We read the reviews and had the same experience! We thought the "GE" name and price meant quality. Not True! The cheaper microwaves that I purchased in the past lasted a lot longer.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

System heating failed. Contacted GE customer service and they were rude, arrogant, and as helpful as shingles. Their product fails as do their customer service. You are better off using their products as a boat anchor. Do not expect help or support, they are only interested in you once, when you pay. Good bye GE...

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

In May, I moved to a new apt. Within 2 nights, I noticed the (the JVM1540N1WW range G.E.) microwave turned itself on. I was startled, and it stopped "cooking" by the time I noticed it. Then it did it again and again, and I jumped up to turn it off. I wrote to the landlord about this. It happened again another night (I mostly work nights). He said it might need to be "reset, just in case a timer was set" (but I never set or knew how to set a timer to "start" cooking). It seemed to stop turning itself on for a week or so, then it kept doing it every night again. I had to unplug it whenever I left the apt. or went to sleep, as I didn't want to worry about the possibility of it starting a fire. My uncle (who knows about electrical appliances) told me not to use it, and to keep it unplugged as it could be dangerous.

I finally unplugged it permanently after I could NOT turn it off when it self-started again. I also found many product complaints to confirm his warning. The complaints were about this exact model when I googled it over a few months ago. More than one person said that this model turned itself on and/or there was a problem with the keypad, others said that their microwave started a fire. I sent these product complaint/reviews to the owner to ask him to please repair or replace it. It's been over 8 months that I've lived here, and he won't replace it, and now he wants me to move out of his apt. This is a whole separate issue, but I wanted to let others know that this is an unsafe product.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

Installed in our vacation home & used 3 or 4 times a month. "Sorry" was response. Reading all the same reviews about GE magnetron failures, I'm resigned to the fact that another venerable old name in American manufacturing has bit the dust. We had brand loyalty for many years but, alas, we must now give up on GE. Goodbye, old "better idea" company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2014

GE profile microwave came with my new house purchased in 2008, after minimal use of microwave about 5-20 mins daily, stopped heating food in Sep 2012. Found that magnetron (Samsung om75p-10) was bad. Was not willing to go thru GE service because of their service fee, etc. and they would not ship the magnetron even though it was under warranty and that only a GE service tech can install it, blah.. blah.. blah.

First visit to come and troubleshoot the issue and second visit to come and fix it, have to pay for both visits even though I know the magnetron is bad. Got the magnetron and the diode from Amazon ($120 + $20) and replaced both. Worked well for about 18 months and the magnetron is dead again, diode is fine. Contacted Amazon about the warranty on the magnetron and was asked to contact GE! I think the Samsung magnetrons are poorly made, I am not sure how to get this replaced by Samsung. There is a Sharp microwave in my office manufactured in 1975 that still works!

Original review: July 2, 2014

GE Spacemaker Microwave XL1800 - This microwave came with our house & has performed well. Our new cleaning service really scrubbed the control panel very hard. The display went crazy & despite our best efforts, never fully recovered. Some numbers remain almost indecipherable. My Husband emailed GE for repair. In their response, they said it was the control panel. The repairman came out today (a week later). He was here 5 minutes. Never took anything apart. Just repeated the unplugging & waiting 30 seconds to plug back in to reset that we had already tried. He announced the control panel needed to be replaced at $265. Now they are ordering the part & we must wait another week. He then collected a $99 fee for the service call.

When I called GE to ask if that was part of the $265, I was told "no". It was a "convenience fee" for him to come out & diagnose the problem. "Well, wait a minute" I said "The problem was diagnosed when we made the appointment. Why didn't they just send the part?" The bottom line is they just send the guy no matter what. I guess they don't believe their customers. The repair guy was rude enough that when I told him what had happened he said "Well, I don't know what she could have done to cause this." I would guess if you are pushing on the panel with force while scrubbing up & down pushing many buttons at once SOMETHING not good will happen. It's just common sense which seems to be lacking with GE. Well they got our $99 but we will never buy another GE product and we will tell our story everywhere we can. Oh also we were told that we could have saved the $99 by taking our microwave into a shop ourselves. Seriously. We could have saved it if they had just sent the part to begin with.

Original review: June 9, 2014

I have a GE Microwave purchased in 2005 with a 10 year warranty. After taking it to a local appliance center (Franks), they diagnosed that the magnetron went out. I called GE and they verified that the parts were covered. I requested that GE send the parts and was told that they were too dangerous to send to a customer. Also, that the US mail would not deliver such hazardous materials. I was informed that I must have a GE approved service company handle the job.

GE recommended Affordable Appliance, Inc. as one of their service companies. I called Affordable and asked if they would get the parts for me. They refused and said they would have to install them. I notified them that GE already had approved the parts so all they had to do was get them in and install them. Affordable verified this with GE and set up the replacement call. The lady at Affordable said the cost to do the install was $75, to which I agreed.

One week later, the Certified GE repairman from Affordable showed up without the parts, took the microwave apart and informed me that the magnetron was bad. They wanted $75 for this trip and $320 to get and install the parts. When I complained that I already had the authorization for the parts and that they were to come out with them, also that the lady that took the call knew all of this in advanced, the serviceman got upset. He said it was his wife and that this would never happen. I told him he wasted his time and he proceeded to give me a bill for what I already knew was wrong. Threatened me that if I didn't pay they would go to collections and ruin my credit. I contacted GE and all they could say was sorry. Later this certified GE service company charged me $45 for the supposedly $75 install trip.

I went online and ordered the parts (Genuine renewal parts- which I still have the packages) from Repairclinic.com. It seems this online vendor had no problem that these were dangerous parts and also they shipped them through the US postal service. I installed the parts in under 5 minutes and the microwave works perfectly now. I wanted GE to refund me the $45 charged for a bogus service call - that had to be made by a company of GE's choice, and $144.75 for the parts that were supposedly under warranty.

Gary from GE corporate called me to verify the amount I wanted. Basically, he said I circumvented their process and had it repaired for much less that it would have cost me if they would have done it. I'm not sure how I circumvented their process when I spent months trying to get them to repair it and was upfront with what I needed. They only brought up the excuse that this is their policy, after all was said and done! Gary didn't seem to know why online companies could ship Genuine GE Magnetrons and parts through the US mail when they couldn't but again, reiterated that people died when they shipped parts.

My problem is that GE's warranty is a sham. I was upfront with GE and their Certified Repair Company from the very first of what I wanted and what was needed to be done. Not until it was all over did both Companies change what was supposed to happen and hid behind the phrase, "this is policy". If it is policy, then why not tell customers up front? Why would customers have to go through something like this! If this costs GE less, then why not take care of their customer?

Original review: May 14, 2014

Purchased this microwave (JVM3160DF2WW) in March 2014. On May 11, 2014, my wife turned it on and it started smoking about 2-3 minutes into its cooking time. It had a very strong smell of an electrical fire. We got it unplugged and I uninstalled it and took it outside. Luckily, we were paying attention. Had we been distracted or if this had happened to an elderly couple that couldn't have reacted, it could have had a bad outcome.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2013

Woke up in the middle of the night to find my microwave running by itself. Turned it off and after a few minutes, it set itself for 1 minute and started running again. Unplugged the unit so not to have a fire. Model # HVM1540DN1BB Serial # VS901875B, Made in Malaysia, Manufac. Date 11-2009.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2013

This is an ongoing problem (over the oven microwave bought 2009 new). Starts automatic for 1 min. We have kept it unplugged. This is GE, great American product. Shame!

Original review: July 22, 2013

The bottom of the door handle has broken. This is after the turntable plastic part broke and does not turn the tray. This was also after the top metal ventilation door broke off while in use and fell and hit me on the head. It seems as if ALL plastic parts seem to break. Wonder which part will be next. As it still heats and installed over my cooktop, I have to keep using it until it completely falls apart. Will not spend another $500 for a microwave!!!

Original review: July 9, 2013

After reviewing prior responses concerning GE microwaves... Above model# JVM1730DM1BB came with our new house back in February 2008. It worked till January 2013. Funny thing is, Vent and Surface Light modes plus odd numbers in express cook WORKED... nothing else. From previous experience dealing with GE folks concerning 1-ton window air conditioning units, they did not want anything to do with them. Due to background in Electronics, Computers plus HVAC, I checked out the unit.

After troubleshooting the unit, I replaced both control board and keypad panel. Also, I plugged microwave power cord into a surge protector. Microwave worked, wife is happy. Parts were not cheap but it's still better than buying new one. It is a hassle of removing and then replacing the unit. Now, it's July 08, 2013. Last night, around 3 am, I was awakened by the microwave unit beeping and displaying "Service May Be Required". I unplugged the surge protector and will again check out the unit. If further parts are needed other than parts I replaced, I'm going to buy their competitors' products...

Original review: May 18, 2013

Microwave is three years old, no heat. After troubleshooting, it turned out the magnetron was the culprit. I called GE and the rep said too bad, unit is out of warranty. Magnetron is under 5 years warranty but GE no longer send it out as serviceable part for safety concern. Labor to replace magnetron is $150. Guess what? A new Maytag with 10 years warranty on magnetron is $369. Never again, GE!

Original review: April 30, 2013

Product is 3 years old and not over used. I repaired it myself for $85. GE would not send a replacement even though it was within the 5-year warranty - poor customer service. I will never buy another new GE product.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2013

This is the second unit of GE Profile Spacemaker (Model: PEM31DM3BB) that we have had. The first lasted for two years while this one is just 10 months old. I had the repairman here twice to make repairs and he cannot stop the unit from turning itself on when you push the door. Now, the paint on the top part of the inside is coming off.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2013

Our GE Profile microwave caught fire on Christmas Eve! Fumes from the transformer (magnetron) fire are horrible! It did not shut off. The fire department had to take it out as it continued to smoke! It’s defective; it needs to be recalled! It’s faulty, defective, and dangerous.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2012

While cooking, my General Electric microwave H VM 1540 DM 1 WW started smoking from what looked like a button or a screw from the top of the inside of the microwave.

GE Spacemaker Microwaves Company Information