2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Microwave Ovens?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: July 10, 2019

I have had no issues with this brand of microwave. I have had built in microwaves before with this same brand and they have performed well. We use the microwave every day for some reason to heat up food or make hot drinks. I feel Whirlpool is a good product and value.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Best microwave for your money. It is very quiet and easy to use. This microwave is very sharp looking and comes with all the bells and whistles that you need. I like the potato setting. You put your potatoes in and it will ask you some stuff and you press the button.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I redid my kitchen two years ago. Put in Whirlpool appliances because they matched my refrigerator. I have been very happy with all aspects. It looks good, it’s easy to clean and cooks well. It doesn’t have a lot of special settings. Less to go wrong.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Within six months, the "plastic" surrounding the oven and the plastic handle began began to crack. Company was of no help. Also, the screen says to "change filter", even after you put in a new filter. Extremely disappointed.

Original review: July 8, 2019

This unit is without a doubt the best microwave I’ve owned. It is reliable, cooks to desired doneness. It defrosts and rewarms perfectly. For the price I do not believe that there is a better performer. Would highly recommend with no reservations.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I like the experience of the microwave. Especially because it’s mounted in the wall and easily accessible. User-friendly, easy to use, and pretty self-explanatory. It’s very easy to clean which is something my wife really loves knowing we both are working professionals.

Original review: July 7, 2019

It is very simple looking and easy to use despite the different functions. I like how nice and roomy it is inside that I can fit a casserole pan in it. Very easy to maintain too. If you get the convection microwave it is fantastic what you can cook in it. Meat comes out nice and brown, baked goods cook all the way through in a lot less time too. Having the option for the microwave to readjust the temperature and time is great too because it takes the guessing work out for you. It knows to do that automatically.

Original review: July 6, 2019

The Whirlpool micro is part of the entire collection that we purchased to update our kitchen appliances; excellent quality with an easy to clean interior sets this little jewel apart from the others we considered along with its matching, attractive "silver ice" exterior.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Mine is a small over the stove type. I use it for reheating, cooking veggies, popcorn and have done some casseroles as well as a few desserts. It seems to cook evenly and even the preprogrammed times are quite right on. I also find the defrost example hamburger frozen has preset time according to weight and it does not cook the hamburger like others seem to. Overall I think my Whirlpool is a great machine. It also has a turntable which distributes the heat more evenly I think. Overall I am pleased with the microwave. Thank you.

Original review: July 4, 2019

This is an over the stove model. Has lots of auto sensor features like popcorn. 4 level re-heat, 4 level defrost, pastry reheat. Most work pretty well. It's pretty quiet but the fan is loud and lighting a little weak.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Only problem we have with it is the popcorn and the potato buttons overcook the item. Otherwise it has been great. Looks good and has held up for over 10 years. I would still recommend this product.

Original review: July 3, 2019

This is a new microwave replacing an LG that I had for over 6 years. Although the old one was great, repair would have cost more than a new appliance. My repairman recommended the Whirlpool as he has noticed fewer calls about them. So far, everything is working well.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Great fit and easy for kids to use. Has preset buttons for easy use. This oven is sharp looking. Very easy to clean. This oven was a great value for the money. I would recommend this microwave to anyone and family members.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I inherited this microwave when we bought our house and have been very happy with it. It does not take up much space, heats well and evenly and the beep at the end of the cycle is not as irritating as other microwaves I have owned. However, I do find the glass turntable difficult to get back on track after I take it out for cleaning. It will wobble if not put back exactly right.

Original review: July 1, 2019

The microwave is vertically compact with a hood vent. It is visually appealing. The numeric pad is behind the door eliminating multiple finger prints on the front. The beep letting you know the cycle is completed is MILD.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Had this Whirlpool for many years. Enjoy the features. One I will never buy again is GE. It was over the range. The door crack two time, first time they send a door, I replace it. Second time, they refuse to replace it. So, I refuse to buy anything from GE. Since it was made for over the range. I say the door was not made for the heat cooking over the stove. Then they should not have sold it as over the stove.

Original review: June 19, 2019

We bought the microwave in August 2018 and last week it burned a hole through the turn table which broke it and burned a hole in the floor of the microwave. Whirlpool said it was under warranty but refused to bring a new one. They ordered a new glass turntable and painted the spot that had the hole burned in it. What makes me believe it is safe now to use? What caused a microwave to go awry in the first place. It has to be a safety issue and Whirlpool will do nothing about it. Lousy customer experience.

Original review: May 25, 2019

This microwave oven has worked well now for about six months and overall we have no complaints. My only complaint is that it has a cheap feel to it, especially when the door is closed...it creates a rattle type hollow noise....it just does not "sound" like it is well made. Time will tell I guess. The unit works well and heats fairly evenly. The cook options are plentiful but we rarely use most of them as we are usually merely re-heating food or coffee. The defrost cycle does work well for us.

We purchased this microwave oven as well as a Whirlpool Range and Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator at the same time from a small Home Depot. Whereas that store had the microwave on display it did not have the other two on display and therefore we purchased them sight unseen....a BAD, BAD mistake. I have reviews for those two so I will say no more about them here. Thus, overall, we are very pleased with this Whirlpool Microwave Oven and would recommend it.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Microwave has melted a hole on the inside rectangular plastic cover. Model number is on recall list but not serial number. Opened microwave to find melted plastic on my popcorn bag that was dripping from the plastic up top. I will replace microwave but not with a Whirlpool again.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Right from the start of buying a new suite of Whirlpool appliances, the light over the range burnt out. We figured it was just a bad bulb so we replaced it. Soon it burnt out again, replaced it again, then again it burnt out. I finally called Whirlpool about the problem and found out it is the electronic panel that needs to be replaced... Of course at a full charge to me! I am so over WhirlPoo, (yes I spelled it that way on purpose) every single appliance has had issues. I have just lived without a light over my range because fixing it is more expensive than buying a whole new microwave. Never again will I buy any WhirlPoo appliance!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I've owned the microwave for 2 years, and recently the DOOR AJAR alarm goes off whenever I try using it. The appliance is now essentially unusable. I wish I knew about this known defect before purchasing. I spoke with Whirlpool Customer Care, and they want to charge me to have someone come fix a known defect. The charge is more than what I paid for the microwave. Please avoid Whirlpool at all costs!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Very concerned. First the microwave broke. It seems that is burning on the inside. The model number is MH1150XMS-2, purchased in 2005. I have had to replace the plate. I have read of many recalls, because of the potential of fire. My model was not among the ones on the recall list.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My Whirlpool microwave oven is terrible. The whole point of a microwave is to cook things faster and make one's life easier. The main problem is food doesn't actually cook due to sensors. Cooking bacon, for example, should be a simple, quick item that easily cooks in a microwave within minutes. Not w/ this Whirlpool! The sensor would not allow the bacon to cook - even after 20 minutes of trying!! Foods such as Bob Evans family sized mashed potatoes can't be cooked either. The sensor in this microwave ensures that only the outer layer is hot while the middle is stone cold. Also, the fan has never worked from day 1, and we're now on 6 months of ownership. This wasn't a cheap microwave either, so I'm SOL. Please don't make the mistake I made. Don't buy Whirlpool.

Original review: March 27, 2019

After two months there was a burning smell. Whirlpool said it must have been installed wrong. So I checked with contractor who said it is only plugged in. There's no installation! Before I could call back it caught on fire and smoke was billowing out. It had to be ripped out of my brand new kitchen. Whirlpool sent an appliance company to get it. They had it for over a month "waiting for a part" which come to find out Whirlpool forgot to order. Once returned it smelt of burnt plastic. Whirlpool refused to trade it in even though it is still under manufacturers warranty. Awful customer service!

Original review: March 25, 2019

NOT Even a 1 STAR!!! We spent A LOT of money on a Whirlpool Smart wall oven combo. It has only been installed for about 2 hrs. My husband and I have been trying to figure out why all the features on the Whirlpool app aren’t working. Most of our home has smart features and is connected to our phones so it’s not the fact that we aren’t tech savvy. I finally gave up and decided I’ll call customer service line about it tomorrow when they open. It’s Sunday night so every number we call says it’s outside of business hrs. Then excited to turn on the oven for the first time I turn the oven on and the noise that the fan is making is so loud you can’t even talk over it. The oven has been off for 15 min now but the noise continues. 3000.00 for a huge disappointment. Not to mention the thing is HEAVY.

So the thought of us having to remove it and replace it with another does NOT make us happy at all. Best Buy or Whirlpool WILL be the ones doing that. For the trouble and money spent that’s the least they can do. Also family is coming into town for the holiday. We made sure to purchase way ahead of time to be sure we had it, installed it and can use it a few times to get the new smell out of it. Very very upset, angry and disappointed. Now it’s been 10 more minutes and the loud broken fan still won’t even turn off. Now we have to shut it off at the breaker. At this point I don’t think we will be even exchanging it for the same product. I knew we should have bought a Samsung!

Original review: March 11, 2019

We own a Whirlpool microwave hood combination. The door started cracking where the handle attaches. Ordered a new door and installed in July 2017. 18 months in the door and the handle have both started to crack again. This seems to be a problem with Whirlpool microwaves but they won't stand behind their product. They'll send someone out to replace it for $$$$ but they won't admit they have a flawed product. One year warranty - no exceptions. Will have to replace the microwave and it won't be Whirlpool!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Purchased new home with Whirlpool appliances installed Aug 21/17. Six months ago, I noticed that when I opened the door to the microwave over my range, the light flickered. A few months ago, intermittently, stopped working, now, not working. After reading the reviews, I am having the same problems other consumers are having. DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS! DON'T BUY!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The microwave (wmh32519fs) is about a little a year old. It intermittently will not start with the message close/open door. Called Whirlpool. They refused to repair because it is out of warranty (1 year). I am fed up with this issue and probably buying a new one but not Whirlpool, a crappy product!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Just like many other reviews about this brand - our microwave went bad after only 14 months of using it. Initially the door sensor would register - it won't operate even if the door is closed. Or it will keep going even if the door is open. I contacted BBB and the Whirlpool corporation regarding this safety issue. I pointed out that the safety mechanism is faulty and they should recall all of those models that have similar issue with door sensor. This is extremely dangerous for households with kids. There is a reason why this safety mechanism is mandatory in all microwaves! Whirlpool pointed out to me that I should not try to operate microwave with open door and refused to take any responsibility. I've owned probably 10 different microwaves over the years and NEVER had micro go bad after only one year, yet alone have completely faulty safety mechanism. Consumer beware!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

4 years ago, we purchased a Model UMV1160CW-3 over the range microwave. After 14 months the door cracked around the handle and eventually fell off. We made the HUGE mistake of buying the same model for ease of installation thinking that this would be a typical issue. We purchase another duplicate model in April of 2016 and less than 16 months later the same issue occurred. Spoke to customer service on 12/28/2018 and they told me that they would pick up the cost of the parts but I would be responsible for labor which actually exceeded the cost of the microwave. Exceedingly poor-quality product and support. Will not purchase another Whirlpool appliance.

Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Company Information