Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
1.51/5

Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

275 Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

Thank you Michael of Castleton, NY, for the posting about re-setting the microwave when it stops heating. Even if I have to do it once a month, it beats having to go out and get another one. And when that day inevitably arrives, guess which brand I'm steering clear of?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2015

We had error happening. We have had repair man here. They checked it out. Did not replace any parts but got it to work. We asked repairman if they have more with the same problem, and he showed us a list of the same problem. So not a week later we had the same problem. After opening and shutting door and pushing all buttons, it started. Now again we're having the same problem. We have had whirlpool appliance forever, but we are very disappointed in this unit. We are afraid that there may be a problem when we are not at home. We have heard that this unit starts on its own sometimes. So please contact us as soon as possible. Repair dated was 1/8/15.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

Model WMH1164XWS-3 Microwave - I purchased a brand new home in 2012 with all stainless appliances, within 3-5 months the outside door handle where it attaches at top and bottom of microwave has chipped, so that the screws are shown. I haven't had the time to look up the replacement part until just now. Very disappointed in the amount of money a handle only cost.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

I bought a Whirlpool Gold Series Microwave, model # WMH76718AW, on 2/19/13. It stopped working 1/25/15. It doesn't heat food anymore. I also have a whirlpool dishwasher that doesn't clean dishes. Whirlpool products are junk. Whirlpool customer service is awful. The cost of fixing this lemon and then buying an extended warranty for the repair (which they recommend) will make this a $1000 piece of garbage. They don't stand behind their defective products. I'll never buy another one again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

We purchased a new home in July of 2011 and we paid extra for the upgraded appliance package, which included a Whirlpool Microwave/Convection Hood Combination unit. We have Model # GH7208XRS3. We use the microwave a few times a week and only used the home 6 months each year during 2012, 2013 and 2014, for a total of approximately 18 months. From the very beginning, we had trouble with the microwave control panel turning itself on and the electronics going through various timing and programming functions independent of any human operator.

During the combined two-year warranty period from July 2011 July 2013 (the Manufacturers Warranty lasted one year and the Developers extended Warranty lasted an additional year) we had 5 service calls on the same issue. The Authorized Repair Center repairman called the Whirlpool Tech Line while he was in our home and was told that there was a flaw in the design of this model. They replaced the door and then when it acted up again, they replaced the control panel.

In Nov. 2012, after the repairman told us the door needed to be replaced again, we asked for a new appliance since we had the same issue repeatedly and they had already tried to fix it by replacing the door and it was still under warranty. We were told that Whirlpool would not replace the appliance until they had tried to fix it three times and we needed to get a new door again. We were told that because it was the same issue repeatedly, we would get a replacement if it still went bad after the warranty was up. So we had the door replaced again, which did not fix the problem.

In late 2014, we again had the same issue with the control panel and made a call to Whirlpools Customer Experience Center. At that time, we were told that the warranty was no longer in effect and Whirlpool would do nothing to fix the issue. Even though it was the same issue that they had attempted and failed to fix while under warranty, the company would no longer stand behind the promise of customer satisfaction and told us they will not replace a 3-year-old microwave. When I asked the Customer Service Rep to speak to a Manager to escalate the issue, I was transferred to the Tennessee Office. When I got the same repeated run-around from the Supervisor, Melissa, I asked that Customer Service Supervisor to let me speak to a Manager and she told me she could not give me the name of anyone else to speak with and hung up on me.

I am writing to you to express my extreme disappointment in Whirlpool and the products reliability, the way the company has handled fixing the problem and especially in the conduct of the Customer Service department. Whirlpool gave us nothing but a run-around for the years the warranty was in effect, knowing that this model has a design flaw and trying to do band-aid fixes until the warranty ran out. We were told that our only option now is to pay to have the same problem fixed a fourth time or purchase a new microwave.

Whirlpool has trained their Customer Service people to be polite but ineffective and obstructionist on the phone and then hang up on the customer when they cannot resolve the customers issue. I believe that Whirlpool should be committed to customer satisfaction and making sure that their products work as intended and fix the problem that was reported while under warranty, even if it no longer in warranty. Whirlpool should be as disappointed as I am that after three attempts the problem is still not fixed and should be committed to customer satisfaction enough to replace the appliance after three failed attempts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

In addition to my refrigerator dying after 3 years, my microwave died after 4.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

Bought Whirlpool Gold refrigerator, microwave, and stove. The bottom where the freezer is located leaks if you don't slam the drawer shut - many times leaking regardless. The microwave needs to be unplugged/reset about once a month or so because the power dies - light comes on, food rotates, no heat. And the small stove light indicating the burner is on for the front left burner suddenly doesn't light up. 0 for 3 on satisfaction. Appliances are 2-3 years old. Did not get extended warranty. Everyone tries to get you to buy but didn't realize I was buying junk. Will not recommend or buy this brand again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

Whirlpool over stove microwave/convection oven model GH7208XRY-4 - I purchased this "top of the line" unit in April 2012 for a vacation home kitchen remodel. It wasn't installed until June 2012 and stopped working in May, 2013 just after the warranty period expired. The problem was with the touch screen panel that went blank and the fan/light control switches also failed. This unit has only had light use since my wife and I are retired and use it primarily for heating tea/coffee. I contacted Whirlpool customer service and they graciously offered to cover the cost of replacement parts but I had to pay a service charge of $125. The factory technician said the whole door needed to be replaced since the electronics were not readily accessible so it took about a week to get the replacement door which turned out to be the wrong one and needed to be reordered. The technician finally replaced the door and the faulty fan/light switch.

Within a month the fan/light switch failed again but was still under warranty so it was replaced for free. A little more than a year after the last service the touch screen control panel began operating by itself changing screens and beeping randomly. This was somewhat disconcerting but the unit continued to work pretty normally until my wife placed a small plate of leftovers in oven to be reheated for 1 minute. She walked away to do other things and forgot about the food in the oven until we noticed a strong burning odor and found that the microwave was still running some 20 minutes later and had turned the food into a black mass of burned food and the plastic cover was melted and burned.

I contacted Whirlpool service thinking that the unit was under warranty from the previous service but they said the parts only carried a 90 day warranty and my only recourse was to pay for another service call and purchase another door panel for approximately $400 or I could buy an extended service contract for $300. Needless to say I'm not about to spend that kind of money to, at best, get another year of service from this inferior product. This is simply not a safe product that could have started a deadly fire if I had not been present to stop it when I did.

I have probably owned a dozen microwaves from other manufacturers and have never had any kind of problem including a comparable GE unit that has been flawless for over 15 years. I am extremely disappointed that Whirlpool has cheapened its product line to such an extent but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since I noted this product was made in China.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

I purchased a Whirlpool over the range microwave (model #YWMH31017AS-1) in April 2013, and had it installed in August of same year. It worked fine up until November 2014 - just over one year later. Everything on it works, except for the most important feature - IT DOESN'T HEAT ANYTHING UP. Doesn't matter how long you set the timer for - the contents come out stone cold! I called Whirlpool's 1-800 number and was told that because I did not purchase the extended warranty, I was responsible for all parts and labor costs. I find this completely unacceptable! I have had cheap $70 microwaves that have lasted 15-20 years. I will never buy another Whirlpool product, and am telling everyone I know to do the same!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

My three month old $2,000 combination microwave-oven works a fine, it's the just the details that stink. For example: There is no way to turn off the turntable. Yes! a crappy $40 microwave can do this, but not this one. Liquid got into the middle of the door window. You can't open it up to clean, they want to send a technician to clean that up so you can actually see through the window. How much? $150. How was it possible that Whirlpool did not adequately seal the glass? They don't care, and don't care about how it looks.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

My husband and I purchased a Whirlpool over the range microwave in 2005, model number MIX155XHPT-1 and serial number TR S 30 32419. At first the top vent broke then the opening side broke off. Then the whole side of the closing door broke off. Now the whole door wants to fall off. I would have never expected this from Whirlpool, but it happened.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

I purchased a new home in March 2014 and less than 9 months later, while wiping out the inside of my microwave (UMC5165AS), the tabs on the microwave inlet cover tore, rendering the cover useless. This part is a piece of cardboard that is coated in a metallic colored finish and was clearly never intended to be unbreakable. It covers an opening inside of the microwave that obviously needs to remain covered. When I called Whirlpool to purchase the replacement part, I was told that it is not available and my only alternative would be to buy a new microwave! This part could not cost more than a few pennies to make but I am left with few options. This is ridiculous design and if Whirlpool thinks that I will purchase a replacement appliance from their company, they are sadly mistaken. I will take my money elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2014

I have the Whirlpool Gold microwave model GMH3204XVQ-1 manufactured in May of 2010. The plastic around the lower door handle is cracking (currently in 4 directions from the handle) and the plastic on the side of the control panel is cracking in the center area and lower side. Neither of these area experience abnormal stress in day-to-day use. Unfortunately I could not get a "good" photo of the other crack on the lower corner of the control panel but included the one on the side in the middle. I contacted Whirlpool customer support about 1-2 months ago and to date, have not received any type of response or concern from them about this issue.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

I purchased a whirlpool gold series microwave model #WMH76718AS one and a half years ago, paid $500.00 for it. It stopped heating. Everything else works on it so it looks like I paid $500.00 for a digital clock and a fancy bread box! I went online and read complaint after complaint that the same thing happened to other people. It appears that the magnetron is faulty. I called Whirlpool and asked their service rep how she would feel if she bought a microwave and after 1 1/2 years it wasn't working. She told me that it was man made and that I should EXPECT things to go wrong. She did offer to pay for parts... which did surprise me. But I have to pay for a $45.00 service call and all labor that it costs to fix it.

I called the number she gave me and got a answering machine.... still waiting for them to call me back. I most likely will just throw this Whirlpool piece of junk in the garbage where it belongs. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to repair a lemon. I feel that Whirlpool knows there is a problem with their product... that is why they offer to pay for parts. But why should their mistake cost their customers money on top of all the inconvenience. Whirlpool does not back their products or care about their customers after they get your money. I will Never buy a whirlpool product again and that includes anything from their sister companies Maytag, Kitchenaid, Jenn-air, Amana and there are many more. So before you buy anything make sure you check to see who you are really buying it from!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

All of sudden, this expensive microwave stopped heating. Called whirlpool, they said they will charge $300 to fix it and $540 to replace. So much after paying new piece of garbage in 2-3 years.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2014

Apparently the planned obsolescence period for Whirlpool ovens and microwaves is 11 years. Last month, we had to get the oven repaired, and now the microwave has stopped heating. Coincidence??

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

I purchased GMH6185XVS microwave in Dec. 2011. It was installed in January 2012. This was for a remodel kitchen with all Whirlpool appliances. In August 2014, we discovered the micro would not heat. I called Whirlpool as directed by Sears. I am told I have to call a repair service and pay for it. I have a 14 year old Whirlpool in my home. We have never had a problem with it. I had a Whirlpool micro in my previous home; never a problem. This is a second home that we hardly ever use. We are two adults. My daughter had the same problem with the same microwave. I am very upset with Sears as well as Whirlpool. Even if I used this machine everyday, it should not break in 2.5 years. Shame on both Whirlpool and Sears. I will never purchase another Whirlpool product again. I will be telling everyone I know.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2014

Whirpool Microwave Model WMH53520CS-0 - I just wanted to alert consumers of a design flaw in this model. The volume of the timer when it goes off is extremely low and there is NO option to adjust the volume. If there is conversation, TV, music etc. it is very easy to not hear the "beep" go off. For this reason, I would not recommend this model. One would think that for $400 this feature would be available to adjust.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I have made a conscious choice to remove baked food from my diet back in early 2013. That has not stopped my wife from pursuing her passion for baking from time to time. It goes without saying that baking requires a well functioning baking oven. The one that came with our home was a Whirlpool Wall Oven/Microwave combination. Sometime in early 2014 the Oven broke down. I had no choice but to replace the combination. After doing some online research and a couple of trips to stores like Sears, Home Depot and Lowes, we decided to drop $2700 of our hard earned dollars on a brand new Whirlpool WOC95EC0AS wall oven microwave combo to replace the old one. Lowes sent someone home to take measurement to make sure that we ordered the right size for the slot in our kitchen. 2 weeks after the purchase, around March 27th or 28th, we had the Microwave/oven combo installed in our kitchen by some Lowes provided installation contractor.

After installing the appliance, the technician demoed both the microwave and the oven part of the combo. Everything looked good and we were happy to see the shiny new appliance adorning our kitchen. Little did we know then that this would start a seemingly unending horror story. For the first 3-4 weeks we used only the microwave and it worked as expected. Then one weekend, my wife decided to do some baking. The dough was prepared meticulously and then came the first surprise, the oven refused to turn on. Feature not available - the message scrolled across the LED display. And horror of horrors, the microwave started giving the same message immediately after. We looked online for solutions, and we found one that suggested that we try breaking the circuit for 1 minute and turn on again we tried it to no avail. And now we went from having a working microwave/broken oven to no microwave/no oven.

We waited till the next day or so before placing a call to the customer service number provided in our warranty receipt. By now the 30 day return guarantee had expired and it was the end of April, 2014. Product was now under manufacturer's warranty. Whirlpool/Lowes customer service scheduled a technician to come take a look at the oven.

My wife took a day off from work and waited for the technician. The technician from J&H appliance repair of SJ came home, took a look and then tried breaking the circuit and turning it on again after a minute; of course, it did not work. After consulting with someone on the phone, he decided to order some parts the main circuit board. He promised to come back after the part arrived. We did receive a call from J&H to schedule an appointment to install the part and schedule a time we did. J&H decided to no-show us on the appointment and my wife wasted another day of her time-off from work.

We called customer-service again and this time they decided to send in a technician from a Sears owned company called A&E Factory Service. A technician came home and he went through the same steps as the earlier technician from J&H. This time, it was my turn to stay home and welcome the visitor. Finally when there was no trick up his sleeves to left to try, he decided he is going to order the main board. A&E technician did something different, he ordered the part to my home. I called him as soon as it arrived. We scheduled a time and he arrived to install the part. I stayed home again. Well, result was no different and the appliance was in no mood to oblige to our coaxing and cajoling. Feature not available, it continued to bleep out. He ordered 2 more boards to my home. I stayed home again to welcome the technician and he arrived again to install the 2 new boards but the result was no different than the last time. Feature not available - the zombie appliance screamed. He told me that there is only one that remains to be done which is to replace the front panel circuitry so he ordered it. By now it was end of June. We hadn't used the oven for 3 full months and the microwave for 2 months.

First week of July, a new technician from A&E showed up early in the morning to install the newly ordered front panel. Surprise, Surprise - Feature not available screamed the shiny lemon sitting in my kitchen wall. The technician asked me if I will be home the whole day and I said yes. Another technician, a supposedly senior expert came by that afternoon. He tinkered with it for a couple of hours and like all who came before him, he surrendered. He said there is nothing left to do with the oven and that he is going to recommend that the oven be replaced.

He left me a voice mail next morning saying that I need to call Whirlpool myself and apprise them of my experience and ask for a replacement. So I called the customer service after a long 1 hour talk with customer service rep, followed by a conversation with his rude supervisor. I was told that Whirlpool no longer deals with A&E that they broke their relationship with them as of June 31st, 2014. I failed to understand why that was my fault. I was told they need to send technician from another company, can you guess the company whirlpool recommended? It would be funny, if it wasn't incredibly painful to deal with horrible customer support representatives yes, it was the the no-show company J&H. I told him I'd have nothing to do with J&H. So they recommended their only other option, a company called AGO.

AGO technicians started showing up at my house since early July and I waited with baited breath for them to suggest a way forward to a resolution. Well good thing that I didn't hold my breath for that to happen. AGO technicians have made 8-9 visits to my home during July and August with the last visit being on Aug 20th. They replaced all the boards that A&E guys had already replaced the previous month. On August 21st, I received a call from AGO rep saying that they have given up that the product is irreparable. They gave me a reference number and asked me to call Whirlpool for a final resolution.

I called Whirlpool customer service on August 22, 2014 and Spoke to Jennifer and her supervisor for 32 minutes. They wanted to restart the whole process of sending technicians to my home. It would be funny if they hadn't stolen $2700 of my hard earned money + all the lost hours and productivity + vacation time lost + headache they caused + the pain of not having a working Oven/Microwave in our kitchen + dealing with rude customer service reps, I lost it. I threatened to put the whole recorded conversation on YouTube. The rude inconsiderate supervisor hung up on me.

I called back after a few minutes and spoke with a tad bit more reasonable rep named Ashley. At least, she had the patience to hear me out without barking at me about what my rights are as a customer. Well she had no better solution than to suggest another technician appointment what was the excuse this time? That the last technician from AGO didn't call Whirlpool's tech support line while he was at my house. As if that is my fault. I agreed and we setup an appointment for Wednesday, August 27, 2014 between 8AM and 12PM with the same old company J&H who no showed me once. Goes to show you who Whirlpool's associates in business are. They had only two companies providing repair services in San Jose AGO and J&H.

I took the morning off from work on Aug 27, 2014 and waited till 12 noon and there was no sign of technician. So I called Whirlpool customer service number one more time. As you would expect by now, a rude customer service person named Eva from Michigan picked up my call. It was reasonably clear to me during that conversation that the J&H technician no-showed because appointment was not communicated to them. She emphatically claimed that my warranty is not a product replacement warranty but a repair warranty and that she needs to send me a technician to take a look at the product. Can anyone believe it? She told me I have only one option either to accept the perpetual technician visits or she will note that I have rejected their offer to service the product. I told her I am not rejecting anything, just exploring all my options. She assured me I had no other options. The arrogance of these people!

So here I am, several thousand of my hard earned money stolen by Whirlpool and I still have no working product. Adding insult to injury, 2 weeks ago I received a letter from Whirlpool pitching me to extend my 3 year extended warranty to 5 years. They want to inflict more pain and charge you for the privilege.

I have more options than Eva would want me to know. Luckily I have legal coverage under my benefit plans at work. Even more importantly there is social media and internet. I am pursuing those options at the moment. Here's the summary: Lowes takes my $2700 on March 13th. I get the Wall Oven delivered and installed on March 27th. A total of at least 15 repair visits are made to my home between first week of March May and August 21 (I have started losing count). Time since product purchase: > 5 months. # of times the oven has worked : 0. Hours spent talking to rude customer service reps: 4-6 hours. Time spent at home baby sitting repair technicians : > 100 hours.

Lowes, Inc washed their hand stating 30 day money back guarantee is over. It's customer service people were not of any help either. UPDATE 9/15/14:

Within a few hours of publishing this post (on 9/2/14), I was contacted by both Lowes and Whirlpool via Twitter. Both the companies seemed genuinely interested in resolving this issue. After I DMed my appliance and contact information via twitter, Melissa from Whirlpool called me and left me a voice mail on Wednesday, Sept 3rd, 2014 informing that they have decided to replace the oven. I was told in that voice mail that I should expect a call from Whirlpool on the details of the exchange before end of day on Friday (Sept 5th). I was contacted by Lowes and I informed the Lowes rep that Whirlpool has agreed to replace my oven.

I thought I would really be able to make a single update to the post informing the world that Whirlpool really made amends and tried to hard to correct the failures of the past. It is 9/15/14 today and I haven't received any updates from Whirlpool about the how/when of the exchange. I made 2 customer service calls to Whirlpool last week. I was unable to speak to Melissa the first time, but did speak with another rep. She told me she will pass the information on to Melissa and ask her to contact me. She connected me to Melissa's voice mail and I left her a voice mail. Melissa's voice mail greetings suggested that I also contact her via Whirlpool's customer service email for faster response. So I did that too.

On Thursday 12:37PM pacific, I received a call from Melissa. She had no useful information to share with me. She is waiting for some paper pusher to do his/her job and could not make any promises as to when it will be resolved. My file is stuck in one of Whirlpool's many bureaucratic bottlenecks. This is no personal indictment of Melissa it is just evidence that Whirlpools is not serious about customer satisfaction. My experience is not isolated as evidenced not just by this event but also by the number of people ranting on their social media handles. Here was an opportunity to rectify its mistake and win the confidence of a customer back and so far Whirlpool seems to be uninterested in any such thing.

IMPORTANT UPDATE (9/16/14): Please share this story via your social media handles. It is important to hold these people accountable for their actions. It is also important that we inform consumer about the perils of doing business with these organizations. Thank you very much. UPDATE (9/17/14): Whirlpools customer supports twitter moniker is @WhirlpoolCare. LOL. They could have demonstrated care by resolving customer issues, instead they removed my permission to post to their Facebook Page. WhirlpoolCare indeed.:) I will be handling this mostly through Twitter follow me at **. I will be using hashtag #whirlpoolsux going forward. I would request that you do the same. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

I bought a whirlpool microwave on August 8th. The microwave was missing parts. I called whirlpool. They said they were sending me the parts, mind you this was not a floor model. So 2 weeks later pass I received no bracket No screws. I called whirlpool "oh yes we got the address wrong." Resent it, just one screw no bracket and I needed 2 screws. I called again "oh yes we did get the order for the bracket too but you have to pay $7." I said "ok no problem. Can you do fast shipping?" They said "sure." I called Monday August 25th. They said I should receive it by Wednesday August 27th. I had to pay extra for the shipping. Here I am September 2nd w/ no bracket. Called again. They said "it wasn't next day shipping, it was 2 day shipping and it's at the post office." But the shipping number they gave me was for the one screw. I believe I should get my money back. I spoke to a supervisor, took her number down. Still waiting for a call because the mailman came and I didn't receive anything yet again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

After cooking dinner for my family today (on stove, not in microwave), the fan of the microwave started running all by itself! The only way to stop it was to unplug it, which means getting on a ladder. Scary electrical stuff. Why?

Original review: July 8, 2014

In 1994 we built a new home and we used only Whirlpool Appliances. In July 2006 we replaced all the appliances with another Whirlpool products, although they were still working including the microwave. After two years the microwave stop working, replaced it with another Whirlpool microwave and the second one stop working last night (July 2014). I noticed the quality of all their products went down including, Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Refrigerator, etc. The dishwasher heating element start to decompose and I replaced it. The washing machine get stuck and the water never stop creating a major flood in the house. The refrigerator door seal torn apart. I decided not to buy any more Whirlpool products.

Original review: June 19, 2014

Whirlpool convection/microwave GMH6185XVS - In 2011, we purchased a whole new kitchen for our home with the top of the line Whirlpool products. The sorry side of this project was our microwave. This product has been terrible for us! It has been removed from our wall 4 times for failing... and four times we have gone for weeks at a time with a big hole in our kitchen wall!! All of the failures were due to the microwave not heating food or drink, and all, according to our local dealership, were for various different reasons. Again, it has failed and our local appliance center who we bought everything from does not want to deal with it anymore.

I don't blame them... I don't either!! It looks beautiful up there above our range telling me the time of day... My wife and I are older adults and take very good care of everything we own. There certainly has never been any abuse to this product (not to mention we spend half our year at a winter home so this microwave only is used for 6 months a year). I contacted Whirlpool customer service about the reliability of this product and their response was that it is now not under warranty and we should deal with our local store about repairs.

I have a small Sharp microwave sitting on the counter below this crappy excuse for one that stays there all the time in anticipation on the Whirlpool going down!!! The $60.00 Sharp never fails me!! This was our 2nd time around purchasing all Whirlpool products for our house. We did the same thing when we built back in 1990. All appliances performed as they should have back then. It seems Whirlpool integrity has gone downhill. I will never buy another Whirlpool product nor I will recommend to anyone I know to do the same. Good luck to anyone who purchased one of these.

Original review: June 15, 2014

This morning another chunk of our Whirlpool Microwave handle fell off while I was cooking breakfast. I got on the internet after breakfast and typed in 'whirlpool microwaves' to see if anyone else had experienced problems with their microwave handles and found this site. We purchased a Whirlpool Microwave oven from Lowe's in 2011 (over the range model). About two weeks after it was installed, I noticed a crack in the handle. Then a few days after that, a small chunk of glass/plastic fell off of the handle when I shut the microwave door. Since that time, the door handle has been steadily disintegrating. Sometimes chunks of plastic fall off when one shuts the door, even if you are very gentle. Chunks of plastic fall off nearly every time I clean the microwave door, even if I don't touch the handle. Sometimes chunks fall off randomly when I'm not even using the microwave. Pieces of plastic have fallen into my cooking pots a few times. Perhaps the steam from the cooking food loosens the cheap glue holding the handle on? What an inferior product! I am very dissatisfied with Whirlpool and will not recommend their products to anyone.

Original review: June 6, 2014

We purchased an over-the-stove Whirlpool microwave in January 2011, when we remodeled our kitchen. In May 2014 after a loud "pop", the microwave stopped working. This was Model # GMH6185XVS-1. Of course, the warranty is no longer in effect. I feel a high-end appliance that cost $500 should last longer than 3 years. I will not purchase another Whirlpool product.

Original review: May 28, 2014

I purchased my Whirlpool microwave model WMH2175XVS-2 in March 2011. The magnetron went bad 3 years and 1 month later. That's only 37 months! Whirlpool is very sorry but of course the warranty is expired! Oh by the way, I replaced a microwave that lasted 10 Years which was a second microwave (which is still going after 15 years).

Original review: May 17, 2014

Whirlpool g2 convect/micro over the stove oven - This top of the line oven is JUNK, KEEP YOUR MONEY-DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK! I have had problem after problem. Starting after only three months. Defected door switch, touch screen, flashing screen, error message. The service repairman and I are on first name bases. Thank goodness for the, "out of my pocket warranty" which I no longer plan to keep. I NEED A OVEN AND DEFINITELY NOT A WHIRLPOOL.

Original review: April 9, 2014

We too have nothing but problems with our supposedly top of the line convection/microwave oven. Purchased in 2010 in February for new kitchen. From start, original microwave installed did not work, would not cook or heat. Dealer replaced. One year later, same problem, but now out of warranty. Had to pay labor, costs, and parts to get fixed. Fast forward 13 months, again magnetron needs replaced, microwave will not work. What a hunk of junk for our money. I will never buy any Whirlpool appliances again, and I will tell everyone I know the same. When you call customer service, they are nice but only say “too bad, out of warranty”. What a joke for a major appliance company to tell customers. It is obvious that this microwave is faulty from the get go, and they just keep on making them the same way and not trying to fix the problem.

Original review: April 8, 2014

I had whirlpool microwave model # WMH32517AS-2 that came with my new home in March of 2013. In September of 2013, we noticed there were times that the microwave failed to warm the food or liquids (coffee) sometimes at all. Then we figured out that we could hear the noise it makes when it actually warms the food. So after a repair man came out and saw the issue of not warming up, he replaced many parts but within a day we experienced the same issue. Whirlpool had a different repair man come out and replace additional parts hoping it would fix the issue but unfortunately, it did not.

Whirlpool said they would send another microwave to us in January of 2014 but now its April 2014 and nothing sent and I have a broken microwave in my house. Due to the length of time it has been, I had to submit this. We have also called customer service on 5 occasions (who have these call documented) and the person that was supposedly helping us and assigned to our case 7 times with no response. We have attempted to talk to a supervisor but were told that I could not, which is unusual. It's just frustrating that this is happening.

Original review: April 1, 2014

I bought a Whirlpool over the stove microwave. It was to replace a GE that was over nine years old. 40 days after purchase and installation the plastic started chipping and peeling. I contacted Whirlpool customer service and was told that it was a cosmetic problem and my warranty stated that I had thirty days of warranty on cosmetic problems. This was a problem because chipping and cracking didn't happen within 30 days. The chipping and cracking continued to get worse. I again called customer service because the warranty stated that workmanship and bad parts were covered up to one year. I was told that because it was over my stove that this was to be expected.

I thought this was a dumb answer because had I known that an over the stove microwave would have problems from cooking I would have installed it in my living room over the television. I called customer service several times. One of the times I called I talked to a representative who actually acted as if she wanted to help me. She suggested sending an e-mail with pictures and gave me an e-mail address. I did this and got no response. I was getting close to the warranty expiration date. I called again and was told that pictures wouldn't work; I would have to pay to have a serviceman come out and write a statement saying that it was not cosmetic. The cracking and chipping is so bad that I can't clean parts of the door because the cloth or sponges catch on the cracks.

The door on the GE microwave did not look as bad after nine years of use as the Whirlpool does after 1 year and 8 days of use. I am not the smartest person in the world but I know the difference between poor quality material and workmanship as opposed to cosmetic problems. I'm pretty sure that if my wife put her makeup on and pieces of her face started cracking and falling off she wouldn't want to hear that it is not a real problem it's only cosmetic. Bottom line is I am very dissatisfied with the poor customer service and warranty problems I have experienced. I will not buy another Whirlpool product and would strongly suggest to others to buy any brand but Whirlpool.

Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Company Information