Weed Eater One

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I really bought this unit based on high reviews through consumer protection. I had to replace the wheels 5 different times, also the battery and a fuse. Went to start the unit again and I see another flat tire, machine won't kick over. Checking my notes I I bought this unit back in 4/2010. Very disappointed and I don't know who I could complain to. I'm on oxygen, and I thought this would be the best thing for me after reading consumer protection reviews. I can do something without bothering someone else to cut my grass. I know it's 6 years but it is used only during the grass cutting season. And we had several droughts that it wasn't used at all. If anyone know a contact to send a complaint to please let me know.

I bought mine 3 years ago because someone took it back to Sears. The problem was the little lever in the rear would flip into the neutral slot. I fixed this with a spring to hold it over the the right. To park this machine you want to use your foot & put the machine in neutral so the friction drive does not have pressure on it all the time. I have to agree with the people here, it is a piece of JUNK. The steering is tough and the plastic that the steering wheel goes over slipped so I drilled through it so I could put a bolt through the steering shaft. It is sad that a company would take a famous name of WEED EATER & ruin it. They should have done a recall on this machine long ago and had Allis Chalmers build them a good machine.

First of all I really take care of my equipment. My Weed Eater one is about 3 years old. After charging the battery and start up, I engaged the mower and was greeted with an awful grating sound and the blades would not move. I tracked the problem to the friction disc pulley. The top of the pulley cracked, sheared the key that secures it to the crankshaft. The crank was spinning in the pulley!! Ordered new parts (about $100.00) but could not find a replacement key. Called Husqvarna. The woman said she found the key and would ship it for $14.95. What I received was 2 new ignition keys!! WTF??

I'd like to start with how I got my Weed Eater, found it on a front lawn with a sign on it FREE. Loaded it up and took it home and diagnosed the starting issue. It was a bad battery.. Installed a new battery and it ran great! Only issues I had was the steering and the tires. Tires are cheap, made in China junk! I replaced them with higher quality tires, Turf Savers. No tire problems since then. The steering is pretty shabby and weak. Being a automotive technician and welder.. I upgraded the steering and have not had issues since then. Like somebody here mentioned, if you are good at working on things then why not get one. Other than that I have not had any other issues. This mower cuts 2 acres a week.

I bought a Weed Eater One riding lawn mower from Walmart and had nothing but trouble. The tires I had to buy 8 set and still buying them now. It won't start. This machine is junk. Wish they would take it back and give me my money back. People at Weed Eater was very rude. Please people don't buy this machine. You will be wasting your money. It cost 738.82.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weed Eater One?

The mower belongs to a neighbor but I have been asked numerous times over the past 3-4 years to repair the mower. The drive chain jumps off the drive gear because the small plastic idler or tensioner gear is 1.) too small; 2.) too weak; or 3.) improperly designed to keep proper tension on the drive chain. Once again the same situation has occurred and the pieces are too worn or bent from the chain coming loose and will not hold any longer. This mower is not subject to severe use as it is on a flat lot of less than 1/2 acre. Parts do not seem to be available and most local mower service companies will not work on this model.

My lawnmower arrived last week, put it together and it started right up. Then I start to get ready to cut my lawn. It went about five feet and stop. It wouldn't drive but the engine ran. So I left it there and checked everything on it and saw the drive chain came off. Now I'll have to get a repairman to fix it. It's fffff brand new. I bought it from Fingerhut. Now I'll have to save money to call a repairman to come and fix it. I'm pissed.

The Weed Eater One riding lawn mower has been a blessing to my family. I have never had money to purchase my own riding lawnmower but I now own 2 of the Weed Eater mowers. I was looking for a motor to put on a go cart I was building for the kids and decided to dig deeper. After a large disassembly I found stripped out gears in both mowers. Bought new gears at a local store and have been mowing ever since. Not sure what everyone thought they were getting into when they decided to go to Wal Mart and pay half of what a normal riding mower costs. It is a cheap lawn mower for a cheap price and must be treated that way if you want it to last. Same with Lots of things in this life.

The differential shaft is running in an unlubricated bush and worn out and cut the shaft. The friction wheel, the part that worn out, is not available - one have to buy the complete drive assembly. Weedeater One is the biggest piece of crap I ever worked on.

Bought mower 3 years ago. 1st yr plastic piece in steering wheel broke. Found someone to fix it. Next year, wouldn't start, got that fixed. This yr tire blew, replaced 4 tires. 1st time mowing rear right came off. Repairman came, got it, fixed it, said it should last a lifetime. First time I mowed with it, the right rear tire came off again. Mower is dangerous, must be used on completely level ground. It's a piece of junk. I have spent more getting it repaired than it cost. Tires are hard to find, rear tires are not for sale in my area anymore. I bought it at walmart. I can't stand looking at it anymore. Will have to use the push and save money to buy a decent one next yr. Should have been a recall on this piece of junk. If there ever becomes a class action suit against it, would like to join it.

The mower came with the house and now I know why. It's junk. The left front tie rod end buckled under when the tire hit a depression. I bent it back with a pair of pliers and it lasted another two minutes. The metal is too thin. The steering is laughable. This is an item destined for a Cracker Jack box.

The mower will not stay in drive. Something is grinding/slipping. None of the chains are jumping and it's not the friction wheel. I think it may be the differential ASM, seeing how it is plastic and it's the only other thing that I can see that make the mower move. It moves in reverse just fine. No slipping or grinding noise when in reverse. Tell me if the differential ASM will cause this problem.

After about two years, the differential shaft broke into two parts. Now I try to buy this shaft, but they sell only shaft and differential together. Well I know I will never buy such an underpowered mower again.

I have owned this lawn mower for 4 years, followed the manual for maintenance and has had no problems. Good running machine.

Purchased this thing about 3 yrs ago. Steering column has been a mess since the first year. I try and turn and the wheel gets stuck on one side so it wont move. Tried to get it repaired - and no luck. Cheap plastic with bendable metal. What makes this worse is I bought this on post at the exchange. I hope no one else bought one. I should have went to Sears, Lowe's or Home Depot!

Bought the machine off elderly individual almost new as he moved to care facility. I am so glad I got this thing away from him before he or someone was seriously injured due to the poor craftsmanship of this piece of junk. Have had nothing but problems with it (all that are listed and them some). I hope Weed Eater or HV step up and take account for the many lives they have put in jeopardy everyday because of their poor quality, dangerous, poor engineering, and overall lack of customer support (Looks like they knew it was a lemon all along as they set and count their money and laugh at the poor people who have had the curse of owning one of these things).

The front tire has come off the rim and needed a new one - three times since I purchased this lawnmower in the Spring of 2012. The replacement tires were hard to find so my lawnmower has been out of service more than it has been working since I purchased this lawnmower. I have probably only used this mower 10 or 15 times total. I am extremely displeased with the tire issue and really want to return this mower. I am actually wondering if there has been a recall of this mower due to the tires coming off the rim while you are operating the mower. I would NEVER purchase this type of mower again.

I read the reviews, but am very mechanical and have done all my own repairs all my life. Have a decent shop and tools. Knowing the complaints, figured I could take anything apart and fix it.... However after extensive research, finding out that Weed Eater is actually produced by American Yard Products who make Poulan, Husqvarna, Weed Eater, McCulloch and many more brands, I'm appalled and frustrated that I can't find out the mfg. of the actual friction wheel part that I need to fix this. It's probably a $50 part at best and Sears, WeedEater and every parts house I try only say they'll replace the entire transmission assembly only at a cost of more than what I paid for the entire machine. This is crazy.

The part I'm looking for is part# 17 on the diagram for the WE261 machine (532 43 72-81) which is the rubber drive wheel and clutch mechanism. The stamping number on the wheel is (427788). All I want is for someone to give me the mfg. of this actual part. I'll contact them directly for a replacement. Any one have a solution? I talked to American Yard Products headquarters and was given the "Customer Service" head who I have called several times but only get the answering machine and they never call back.

All you have to do is look at all the other complaints and that is what I had. The only differences is that the place I purchased the piece of ** well not even look at it. I live 130 miles to the next town with a dealer... I purchased the mower so my wife could use it. She can't and nobody else can without something happening to it. I finally figured out the problem with the tires. The steering was hitting the sidewall and cutting them. That is after I purchase 3 new ones from Les Schwab’s because I could not get them from the dealer.

I have replace the clutch plates, steering, seat adjustment knob, front end parts. I have been doing the repairs myself because even a small engine shop that has worked on it before will not work on it anymore. He has had problems getting parts. I have had problem getting parts even through the website (replacement parts) from your website. I would not have purchased the mower if I had time to read about Weed Eater products. I was leaving for 3 months and needed something for my wife could use. I should have saved the money and paid someone to mow the lawn. I'm doing that now. I ordered some parts a couple weeks ago (seat adjustment knobs which fall out then get run over) but I have not seen them. I paid for them already.

I purchased a Weed Eater One Riding Mower with Money that I had saved just for that purpose right before the Mowing season began. The mower was new and had only been used twice by an individual that moved from a house to a Townhouse where they mowed the grass for them. He got on the mower, drove it down the yard one time and brought it back, and it looked like it was just what I wanted. So we loaded it in my van and I left and took it home and unloaded it. I got on it, started it right up, put it in gear and it would not move. It had a grinding sound like two gears were not connecting with one another.

I took it to the shop and ask them to work on it and get it to where it would mow the yard. They charged me $200.00 and told me it was fixed. So I picked it up, took it home and put it in gear and mowed one strip of grass and it started grinding again. So I took it back to the shop and they fixed it again. I took it home and it did the same thing within 5 minutes of mowing. I called the repair shop and ask them why this keeps happening and they told me the gears in the Transmission are made of plastic and this would always happen based on the way they made the Transmission, and if I wanted to mow my yard with it I would have to buy a new Transmission. So I called another shop and ask them to work on it and they told me that this mower was really not designed to mow. It was more for advertisement than anything else and suggested that I scrap the mower and buy a real lawn mower and told me he would not work on it.

I bought a Weed Eater One riding lawn mower about 3 years ago. The rear tire got flat while using it. I bought a new tire and inner tube. Ever since the new tire was replaced, it only goes backwards and not forward making a grinding sound. Doesn't cut grass anymore.

We bought this weed eater riding lawnmower from a neighbor about 6 years ago, still running Strong. All the sudden it decided to not go into gear. Thought maybe change oil, etc. Even went to a resell store and bought the same lawn mower that didn't work just so I could replace the carburetor, still nothing. Won't go into gear, starts but then dies. I have been to sears, home depot, Menard's, Lowes, meijer, you name it been there. Even called weed eater and was told our model is too old and no repair parts, not even take it for repair!!! Ugh!!! So disappointed, trying to see if someone who repairs tractors would want it but all they want to do is scrap it. Heck I'll scrap it now! Never get a weed eater!!

I have owned this thing for nearly 3 years. The transmission was broken from normal use on a level yard now three times. The Husqvarna folks said they had the parts on backorder since August 2013 and the repair station is where the mower has been ever since. I have not had it since August 2013 and it is now June 8, 2014. Husqvarna promised the parts would be available within 10-15 days of May 21, 2014.

I listened to the call that the repair station made to Husqvarna after I made contact with them and was assigned to their Escalation Dept. If you add the weeks and months that the mower has been in the repair station, they have had it nearly One Year out of the Three I have owned it. They agreed to pay for the needed parts which amounts to less than $50 but I have to pay the labor. I should have bought a Snapper.

I have had this riding mower two years and so far the friction plate, clutch plate, transmission and steering mechanism had to be replaced. When it does work, it is easy to use and fun but it constantly breaks down due to design flaws. Husqvarna has now refused to honor the warranty on the latest repair needed, a broken shaft so it is going in the lawn mower graveyard. Husqvarna is difficult to deal with, they will not stand by their product, so buyer beware! I have a small residential lawn and this mower can not handle it. My advice.....definitely stay away from this riding mower!

Just purchased a slightly used Weedeater One from a good friend's dad, too old to keep up a lawn. Excited to try it out. That lasted about 15 minutes. Then I found the front wheels jackknifed and a gouge out the lawn. Now reading this page, it's obvious this was a bad decision. Assuming I will bite the bullet and invest additional money in our push model, not this money pit of a mower.

I have two issues with the Weed Eater One; both issues appear to be common place in various forums. First, a tire tore open on the corner and up the sidewall. The rubber appears to be of low quality. Second, the friction wheel/disk transmission fails to engage quite often. This happens mostly when shifting to reverse but also happens in forward. I can usually get it to engage by moving the speed lever all the way forward, then move it back to reverse. There may be an adjustment to fix this issue but I challenge you to find where it is documented.

They need a recall on the tires. Mine are ripped by the seam.

Purchased this mower because it was small and my teenagers could use it without being intimidated. We've gone through multiple sets of tires. Front axle control arm bent after a tire blew. Can't find parts anywhere. Please save yourself from the oncoming anger and frustration and pass on this piece! I want my money back Weedeater!

Bad mower WE261 - Purchased this mower August 2013. Broke September. Could not find a local dealer to repair. Ordered shaft and gear assembly. Chain still jumps off. Looking into lawsuit.

Bought mine second hand from a guy who was disabled and said it starts right up every time and works great! I gave him $400.00 and went home with it! At first season, it worked pretty well until the drive chain came off, which also is connected to the brake! I found myself rolling downhill into a cul-de-sac at high speed and couldn't stop, nearly flipping over and hitting my neighbors' cars! Now, I keep putting the chain back on the large plastic gear only to have it falling off again and again! I found a C-clip that had fallen off and took me half an hour to find out where it went. Then reassembled all the lower plates and the chain again, only to have the chain fall off again... Now the gears are wrong. It goes in reverse while in neutral and won't move forward until I hit second and again the chain falls off! I am so po'ed I could kill the people responsible for putting this garbage on the market and the guy that sold it to me left the state. But I can't blame him since it did work for a little while! Don't anyone buy these worthless machines! Even a repair guy wouldn't even bother to try and fix it because of their history of problems and getting parts for them! Guess I'll just scrap it and buy a Sears rider and be satisfied instead of enraged....

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

This company is well known for its lawn care products, which range from manual mowers to riding mowers.

• Side mulch: The lawn receives a nourishing mulch mix from the side of the riding mower.
  • Small to medium yard focused: Weed Eater understands the needs of small and medium size lawn owners and focuses on solving their problems.
  • Compact design: This ultra-compact rear engine riding mower fits easily into a small shed or the extra space in a garage.
  • 26-deck: The small deck is perfect for weaving around yard obstacles and managing yards under one acre.
  • Budget: Weed Eater offers a highly affordable riding mower option for consumers.
  • Best for Residential homeowners receive a compact and easy-to-maintain riding lawn mower.

Compare Riding Mower

Weed Eater One Company Profile

Weed Eater One
9335 Harris Corners Pkwy.